Genomes and Genes
Summary: The physical or physiological processes by which substances or energy are absorbed.
Publications284 found, 100 shown here
- Calculated absorption and scattering properties of gold nanoparticles of different size, shape, and composition: applications in biological imaging and biomedicinePrashant K Jain
Laser Dynamics Laboratory, School of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Georgia, Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia 30332 0400, USA
J Phys Chem B 110:7238-48. 2006..We use Mie theory and discrete dipole approximation method to calculate absorption and scattering efficiencies and optical resonance wavelengths for three commonly used classes of nanoparticles: ..
- Bile pigment pharmacokinetics and absorption in the rat: therapeutic potential for enteral administrationA C Bulmer
Heart Foundation Research Centre, Griffith Health Institute, Griffith University, Southport, Queensland, Australia
Br J Pharmacol 164:1857-70. 2011..Despite the therapeutic potential of bile pigments, little is known about their in vivo parenteral or enteral absorption after exogenous administration...
- Serum plant sterols and cholesterol precursors reflect cholesterol absorption and synthesis in volunteers of a randomly selected male populationT A Miettinen
Second Department of Medicine, University of Helsinki, Finland
Am J Epidemiol 131:20-31. 1990..lathosterol (in terms of micrograms/mg cholesterol), were negatively related to both the fractional and absolute absorption of dietary cholesterol and serum high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, and positively related to overall ..
- Renal albumin absorption in physiology and pathologyH Birn
Department of Cell Biology, Institute of Anatomy, University of Aarhus, Aarhus C, Denmark
Kidney Int 69:440-9. 2006..The present paper will review the mechanisms for tubular albumin uptake and the possible implications for the development of renal disease...
- Water-soluble iron oxide nanocubes with high values of specific absorption rate for cancer cell hyperthermia treatmentPablo Guardia
Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, Via Morego 30, 16163 Genova, Italy
ACS Nano 6:3080-91. 2012..Here, specific absorption rate (SAR) values are reported for cube-shaped water-soluble IONCs prepared by a one-pot synthesis approach in a ..
- Subwavelength-resolution label-free photoacoustic microscopy of optical absorption in vivoChi Zhang
Optical Imaging Laboratory, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Washington University in St Louis, One Brookings Drive, St Louis, Missouri 63130, USA
Opt Lett 35:3195-7. 2010Optical absorption provides essential biological functional information but cannot be sensed by mainstream optical microscopy technologies directly, which detect fluorescence or scattering and may require undesirable labeling...
- Microemulsion formulation for enhanced absorption of poorly soluble drugs. I. Prescription designKohsaku Kawakami
Developmental Research Laboratories, Shionogi and Co Ltd, 12 4 Sagisu 5 chome, Fukushima ku, 553 0002, Osaka, Japan
J Control Release 81:65-74. 2002..These microemulsion formulations can be administered as a form of water-in-oil microemulsion or surfactant-oil mixture, and are expected to convert to oil-in-water microemulsion in the small intestine...
- Plasmon coupling in nanorod assemblies: optical absorption, discrete dipole approximation simulation, and exciton-coupling modelPrashant K Jain
Laser Dynamics Laboratory, School of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332 0400, USA
J Phys Chem B 110:18243-53. 2006..end-to-end and side-by-side, analogous to the well-known H and J aggregation in organic chromophores. Optical absorption spectra of gold nanorods have earlier been observed to show a red-shift of the longitudinal plasmon band for the ..
- Intestinal npt2b plays a major role in phosphate absorption and homeostasisYves Sabbagh
Renal and Endocrine Sciences Group, Genzyme Corporation, Framingham, Massachusetts, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 20:2348-58. 2009Intestinal phosphate absorption occurs through both a paracellular mechanism involving tight junctions and an active transcellular mechanism involving the type II sodium-dependent phosphate cotransporter NPT2b (SLC34a2)...
- The IRP1-HIF-2α axis coordinates iron and oxygen sensing with erythropoiesis and iron absorptionSheila A Anderson
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Cell Metab 17:282-90. 2013..These results uncover separable physiological roles of each IRP and identify IRP1 as a therapeutic target for manipulating HIF-2α action in hematologic, oncologic, and other disorders...
- Polymorphisms in the ABCG5 and ABCG8 genes associate with cholesterol absorption and insulin sensitivityHelena Gylling
Department of Clinical Nutrition, University of Kuopio, Kuopio University Hospital, Kuopio, Finland
J Lipid Res 45:1660-5. 2004..3 and > or = 147.7 10(2) x mmol/mol cholesterol), a surrogate marker of cholesterol absorption efficiency...
- Multiple light scattering and absorption in reef-building coralsEmiliano Terán
Division de Fisica Aplicada, Centro de Investigacion Cientifica y de Educacion Superior de Ensenada, Carretera Ensenada Tijuana No 3918, Ensenada, B C 22860, Mexico
Appl Opt 49:5032-42. 2010..The model is used to study the absorption of light by the layer of tissue containing the microalgae by means of Monte Carlo simulations...
- Molar absorption coefficients for the reduced Ellman reagent: reassessmentPeter Eyer
Walther Straub Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Munich, Nussbaumstrasse 26, Germany
Anal Biochem 312:224-7. 2003..The TNB molar absorption coefficient, 13.6 x 10(3)M(-1)cm(-1), as published by Ellman in 1959 has been almost universally used until now...
- Identification of a gene, ABCG5, important in the regulation of dietary cholesterol absorptionM H Lee
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Medical Genetics, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina, USA
Nat Genet 27:79-83. 2001..H.L. et al., manuscript submitted). We now report that a new member of the ABC transporter family, ABCG5, is mutant in nine unrelated sitosterolemia patients...
- A small molecule that disrupts G-quadruplex DNA structure and enhances gene expressionZoë A E Waller
The University Chemical Laboratory, University of Cambridge, Lensfield Road, Cambridge, CB2 1EW, UK
J Am Chem Soc 131:12628-33. 2009..These observations provide further evidence to suggest that G-quadruplex forming sequence motifs play a role that relates to transcription...
- Interaction of thioflavin T with amyloid fibrils: stoichiometry and affinity of dye binding, absorption spectra of bound dyeAnna I Sulatskaya
Laboratory of Structural Dynamics, Stability and Folding of Proteins of the Institute of Cytology, Russian Academy of Sciences, St Petersburg 194064, Russia
J Phys Chem B 115:11519-24. 2011..To obtain information concerning the ThT-amyloid fibril binding parameters, we propose to use absorption spectrophotometry of solutions prepared by equilibrium microdialysis...
- Enhancement of curcumin oral absorption and pharmacokinetics of curcuminoids and curcumin metabolites in miceLiu Zhongfa
College of Pharmacy, The Ohio State University, Room 152, Riffe Building, 500 W 12th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 69:679-89. 2012..Here, we established a practical nano-emulsion curcumin (NEC) containing up to 20% curcumin (w/w) and conducted the pharmacokinetics of curcuminoids and curcumin metabolites in mice...
- Effect of crystal size on the in vitro dissolution and oral absorption of nitrendipine in ratsDengning Xia
Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmaceutical Science, Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, No 103, Wenhua Road, Shenyang 110016, China
Pharm Res 27:1965-76. 2010To investigate the effect of crystal size on the dissolution and oral absorption of nitrendipine, a poorly soluble drug, in rats.
- Metabolic basis of visual cycle inhibition by retinoid and nonretinoid compounds in the vertebrate retinaMarcin Golczak
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Biol Chem 283:9543-54. 2008In vertebrate retinal photoreceptors, the absorption of light by rhodopsin leads to photoisomerization of 11-cis-retinal to its all-trans isomer...
- Effect of sodium chloride on the release, absorption and safety of diclofenac sodium delivered by poloxamer gelYoung Joon Park
College of Pharmacy, Seoul National University, San 56 1, Shinlim Dong, Kwanak Ku, Seoul 151 742, South Korea
Int J Pharm 263:105-11. 2003..poloxamer gel, here we investigated the effect of sodium chloride on the release, safety and rectal absorption in rats of diclofenac sodium delivered by the poloxamer gels...
- Epinephrine absorption in adults: intramuscular versus subcutaneous injectionF E Simons
Section of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Department of Pediatrics and Child Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
J Allergy Clin Immunol 108:871-3. 2001..We recommend intramuscular injection of epinephrine into the thigh as the preferred route and site of injection of this life-saving medication in the initial treatment of anaphylaxis...
- Differential association of adipophilin and TIP47 proteins with cytoplasmic lipid droplets in mouse enterocytes during dietary fat absorptionBonggi Lee
Department of Foods and Nutrition, Purdue University, 700 W State Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907 2059, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1791:1173-80. 2009..that enterocytes dynamically store triglycerides (TGs) in cytoplasmic lipid droplets (CLDs) during dietary fat absorption. A dynamic pool of TG in the form of CLDs which expands and depletes relative to time post dietary fat challenge ..
- Tracing cadmium from culture to spikelet: noninvasive imaging and quantitative characterization of absorption, transport, and accumulation of cadmium in an intact rice plantShu Fujimaki
Plant Positron Imaging Group, Quantum Beam Science Directorate, Japan Atomic Energy Agency, Takasaki, Gunma 370 1292, Japan
Plant Physiol 152:1796-806. 2010We characterized the absorption and short-term translocation of cadmium (Cd) in rice (Oryza sativa 'Nipponbare') quantitatively using serial images observed with a positron-emitting tracer imaging system...
- Grain sorghum lipid extract reduces cholesterol absorption and plasma non-HDL cholesterol concentration in hamstersTimothy P Carr
Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE, USA
J Nutr 135:2236-40. 2005..Plasma HDL cholesterol concentration was not altered (P > 0.05) by dietary treatment. Cholesterol absorption efficiency was significantly reduced by GSL in a dose-dependent manner...
- Anatomical traits associated with absorption and mycorrhizal colonization are linked to root branch order in twenty-three Chinese temperate tree speciesDali Guo
Department of Ecology, College of Urban and Environmental Sciences, Peking University, Beijing 100871, China
New Phytol 180:673-83. 2008..showed mostly secondary development with no cortex or mycorrhizal colonization, and thus have limited role in absorption. Based on anatomical traits, it was estimated that c...
- Sources of absorption and scattering contrast for near-infrared optical mammographyA E Cerussi
Beckman Laser Institute and Medical Clinic, University of California, Irvine 92612, USA
Acad Radiol 8:211-8. 2001..diffusive model of light transport quantified oxygenated and deoxygenated hemoglobin, water, and lipid by their absorption signatures...
- A novel acoustic sensor approach to classify seeds based on sound absorption spectraVicent Gasso-Tortajada
Department of Biosystems Engineering, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, Aarhus University, Blichers alle 20, PO Box 50, DK 8830 Tjele, Denmark
Sensors (Basel) 10:10027-39. 2010A non-destructive and novel in situ acoustic sensor approach based on the sound absorption spectra was developed for identifying and classifying different seed types...
- Hydroxyapatite nanoparticles as a controlled-release carrier of BMP-2: absorption and release kinetics in vitroGuangping Xie
Shanghai Biomaterials Research and Testing Center, Shanghai Ninth People s Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, 200011 Shanghai, China
J Mater Sci Mater Med 21:1875-80. 2010..this study, HANPs were investigated as a controlled-release carrier of bone morphogenetic protein-2 (BMP-2), the absorption and release kinetics of which were analyzed in vitro...
- Berberine and plant stanols synergistically inhibit cholesterol absorption in hamstersYanwen Wang
Institute for Nutrisciences and Health, National Research Council Canada, Charlottetown, PE, Canada
Atherosclerosis 209:111-7. 2010..At the end of the study, plasma lipids were analyzed with enzymatic methods, cholesterol absorption and synthesis using stable isotope tracer methodology, and gene and protein expressions in the liver and small ..
- Enhancers of iron absorption: ascorbic acid and other organic acidsBirgit Teucher
Nutrition Division, Institute of Food Research, Norwich NR4 7UA, UK
Int J Vitam Nutr Res 74:403-19. 2004Ascorbic acid (AA), with its reducing and chelating properties, is the most efficient enhancer of non-heme iron absorption when its stability in the food vehicle is ensured...
- The visceral yolk sac endoderm provides for absorption of nutrients to the embryo during neurulationIrene E Zohn
Center for Neuroscience Research, Children s Research Institute, Children s National Medical Center, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 88:593-600. 2010....
- Using open source computational tools for predicting human metabolic stability and additional absorption, distribution, metabolism, excretion, and toxicity propertiesRishi R Gupta
Pfizer Global Research and Development, Groton, Connecticut, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 38:2083-90. 2010..We discuss the advantages and disadvantages of open source descriptors and the opportunity for their use as a tool for organizations to share data precompetitively, avoiding repetition and assisting drug discovery...
- Development and evaluation of self-microemulsifying liquid and pellet formulations of curcumin, and absorption studies in ratsSaipin Setthacheewakul
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Prince of Songkla University, Songkhla, Thailand
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 76:475-85. 2010..systems (SMEDDS) in liquid and pellet forms that result in improved solubility, dissolution, and in vivo oral absorption of the poorly water-soluble compound curcumin...
- Targetable gold nanorods for epithelial cancer therapy guided by near-IR absorption imagingJihye Choi
Department of Chemical and Bimolecular Engineering, Yonsei University, Seoul 120 749, Republic of Korea
Small 8:746-53. 2012..optical properties, biocompatibility, colloidal stability, in vitro/in vivo binding affinities for cancer cells, absorption imaging, and photothermal therapy effects are investigated...
- Mechanism-based prediction of particle size-dependent dissolution and absorption: cilostazol pharmacokinetics in dogsStefan Willmann
Bayer Technology Services GmbH, Competence Center Systems Biology and Computational Solutions, Leverkusen, Germany
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 76:83-94. 2010A previously developed physiologically based pharmacokinetic (PBPK) model for gastro-intestinal transit and absorption was combined with a mechanistic dissolution model of the Noyes-Whitney type for spherical particles with a predefined ..
- Modulation of NaCl absorption by [HCO(3)(-)] in the marine teleost intestine is mediated by soluble adenylyl cyclaseMartin Tresguerres
Department of Pharmacology, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, New York 10065, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 299:R62-71. 2010Intestinal HCO(3)(-) secretion and NaCl absorption are essential for counteracting dehydration in marine teleost fish. We investigated how these two processes are coordinated in toadfish...
- Bioactive dietary polyphenols decrease heme iron absorption by decreasing basolateral iron release in human intestinal Caco-2 cellsQianyi Ma
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
J Nutr 140:1117-21. 2010..the inhibitory effect of (-) -epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) and grape seed extract (GSE) on nonheme iron absorption, we investigated whether EGCG and GSE also affect iron absorption from heme...
- Enhanced absorption of hydroxysafflor yellow A using a self-double-emulsifying drug delivery system: in vitro and in vivo studiesLiang Zhong Lv
Department of Pharmacy, Zhejiang Provincial People s Hospital, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Int J Nanomedicine 7:4099-107. 2012..Water-in-oil-in-water (w/o/w) double emulsions may enhance the oral absorption of HSYA...
- Calcium absorption in infants and small children: methods of determination and recent findingsSteven A Abrams
Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Children s Nutrition Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine and Texas Children s Hospital, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Nutrients 2:474-80. 2010..The ability to assess calcium absorption using a relatively short 24-hour urine collection without the need for multiple blood samples or fecal ..
- Oral octreotide absorption in human subjects: comparable pharmacokinetics to parenteral octreotide and effective growth hormone suppressionS Tuvia
Chiasma, 10 Hartom Street, Jerusalem 45182, Israel
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97:2362-9. 2012Oral administration of a novel octreotide formulation enabled its absorption to the systemic circulation, exhibiting blood concentrations comparable to those observed with injected octreotide and maintaining its biological activity.
- Genomics of ADME gene expression: mapping expression quantitative trait loci relevant for absorption, distribution, metabolism and excretion of drugs in human liverA Schroder
Center for Bioinformatics Tuebingen ZBIT, University of Tuebingen, Tuebingen, Germany
Pharmacogenomics J 13:12-20. 2013..Focused analysis revealed a subset of 95 associations related to absorption, distribution, metabolism and excretion of drugs...
- Absorption, metabolism, and excretion of 14C-temozolomide following oral administration to patients with advanced cancerS D Baker
The Johns Hopkins Oncology Center, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Clin Cancer Res 5:309-17. 1999The purpose of this study is to characterize the absorption, metabolism, and excretion of carbon 14-labeled temozolomide (14C-TMZ) administered p.o. to adult patients with advanced solid malignancies...
- The pig as an experimental model for elucidating the mechanisms governing dietary influence on mineral absorptionJannine K Patterson
119 Stocking Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 233:651-64. 2008..This review highlights the similarities between pigs and humans and thereby the value of the porcine human nutritional model, and reviews some of the more recent applications of this model for nutritional research...
- Dietary silicon intake and absorptionRavin Jugdaohsingh
Gastrointestinal Laboratory, The Rayne Institute, St Thomas Hospital, London, UK
Am J Clin Nutr 75:887-93. 2002..Increasing evidence suggests that silicon is important in bone formation. The main source of silicon for humans is the diet, but the bioavailability of silicon from solid foods is not well understood...
- Absorption measurements of cell monolayers relevant to mechanisms of laser phototherapy: reduction or oxidation of cytochrome c oxidase under laser radiation at 632.8 nmTiina I Karu
Institute of Laser and Information Technologies of Russian Academy of Sciences, Troitsk, Moscow Region 142190, Russian Federation
Photomed Laser Surg 26:593-9. 2008..The objective of this work was a further investigation of redox mechanisms of laser phototherapy on the cellular level...
- Single cell viability and impact of heating by laser absorptionFranziska Wetzel
Department of Physics and Earth Science, Soft Matter Physics Division, Institute of Experimental Physics I, University of Leipzig, Linnestrasse 5, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Eur Biophys J 40:1109-14. 2011..5 s. By varying the duration of the heat shocks, it was shown that 60% of the cells stayed viable when exposed to 48 ± 2°C for 5 s...
- Failure of fluid absorption in the endolymphatic sac initiates cochlear enlargement that leads to deafness in mice lacking pendrin expressionHyoung Mi Kim
Anatomy and Physiology Department, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e14041. 2010..lumen formation is initiated by fluid secretion in the vestibular labyrinth and temporarily controlled by fluid absorption in the endolymphatic sac...
- A strategy for quantitative spectral imaging of tissue absorption and scattering using light emitting diodes and photodiodesJustin Y Lo
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, USA
Opt Express 17:1372-84. 2009..reflectance spectroscopy system was modified as a step towards miniaturization and spectral imaging of tissue absorption and scattering...
- Estimating optical absorption, scattering, and Grueneisen distributions with multiple-illumination photoacoustic tomographyPeng Shao
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Alberta, 9107 116 Street, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, T6G 2V4
Appl Opt 50:3145-54. 2011..In this paper, a noniterative reconstruction technique for producing quantitative photoacoustic images of both absorption and scattering perturbations is introduced for the case when the optical properties of the turbid background are ..
- Subconjunctivally injected, liposome-encapsulated streptokinase enhances the absorption rate of subconjunctival hemorrhages in rabbitsSeung Hee Baek
Department of Ophthalmology, Kim s Eye Hospital, Seoul, Republic of Korea Myong Gok Eye Research Institute, Konyang University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 72:546-51. 2009..over 81% of SK was released from liposomes at 48 h, and the effect of its subconjunctival injection on the absorption rate of induced subconjunctival hemorrhage (SH) in rabbits was evaluated...
- Hypolipidemic effects and absorption of citrus polymethoxylated flavones in hamsters with diet-induced hypercholesterolemiaElzbieta M Kurowska
KGK Synergize Inc, Suite 1030, One London Place, 255 Queens Avenue, London, Ontario, Canada N6A 5R8
J Agric Food Chem 52:2879-86. 2004..This suggests that PMFs are novel flavonoids with cholesterol- and triacylglycerol-lowering potential and that elevated levels of PMF metabolites in the liver might be directly responsible for their hypolipidemic effects in vivo...
- Absorption and biological activity of phytochemical-rich extracts from açai (Euterpe oleracea Mart.) pulp and oil in vitroLisbeth A Pacheco-Palencia
Department of Nutrition and Food Science and Department of Veterinary Physiology and Pharmacology, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77843, USA
J Agric Food Chem 56:3593-600. 2008..This study investigated the absorption and antiproliferative effects of phytochemical extracts from acai pulp and a polyphenolic-enriched acai oil ..
- Carboxyl ester lipase deficiency exacerbates dietary lipid absorption abnormalities and resistance to diet-induced obesity in pancreatic triglyceride lipase knockout miceDean Gilham
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Genome Research Institute, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio 45237, USA
J Biol Chem 282:24642-9. 2007..the contributions of carboxyl ester lipase (CEL) and pancreatic triglyceride lipase (PTL) in lipid nutrient absorption. Results showed PTL deficiency has minimal effect on triacylglycerol (TAG) absorption under low fat dietary ..
- Alterations in cholesterol absorption/synthesis markers characterize Framingham offspring study participants with CHDNirupa R Matthan
Cardiovascular Nutrition, Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University, Boston, MA, USA
J Lipid Res 50:1927-35. 2009..homeostasis (plasma phytosterols and cholesterol precursor concentrations as surrogate measures of cholesterol absorption and synthesis, respectively) in Framingham Offspring Study Cycle-6 participants diagnosed with established CVD ..
- Iron deficiency and obesity: the contribution of inflammation and diminished iron absorptionJames P McClung
Military Nutrition Division, U S Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, Natick, Massachussetts 01760, USA
Nutr Rev 67:100-4. 2009..unknown; however, findings from recent reports suggest that body mass index and inflammation predict iron absorption and affect the response to iron fortification...
- Current status and the future of buccal drug delivery systemsS Indiran Pather
Pharmaceutics California Northstate College of Pharmacy, 10811 International Drive, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670, USA
Expert Opin Drug Deliv 5:531-42. 2008..The delivery of drugs through the buccal mucosa has received a great deal of attention over the last two decades, and yet there are not many buccal delivery products available on the market...
- Enhancement of oral absorption of curcumin by self-microemulsifying drug delivery systemsJing Cui
Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Shandong University, 44 West Wenhua Road, Jinan 250012, PR China
Int J Pharm 371:148-55. 2009..drug delivery system (SMEDDS) has been successfully developed to improve the solubility and oral absorption of curcumin...
- Ground and excited state proton transfer and antioxidant activity of 7-hydroxyflavone in model membranes: absorption and fluorescence spectroscopic studiesSudip Chaudhuri
Biophysics Division, Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, 1 AF, Bidhannagar, Kolkata 700064, India
Biophys Chem 139:29-36. 2009..Furthermore, we demonstrate that lipid peroxidation of the model membranes is partially arrested upon 7-HF binding, suggesting its potential usefulness as an inhibitor of peroxidative damage of cell membranes...
- Relationship between cholesterol synthesis and intestinal absorption is associated with cardiovascular riskOliver Weingärtner
Klinik fur Innere Medizin III, Kardiologie, Angiologie und Internistische Intensivmedizin, Universitatsklinikum des Saarlandes, Kirrberger Strasse, Gebäude 40, D 66421 Homburg Saar, Germany
Atherosclerosis 210:362-5. 2010..Data from a subgroup analysis of the 4-S Study, however, indicate that patients with high cholesterol absorption may not benefit from statin treatment...
- Taking vitamin D with the largest meal improves absorption and results in higher serum levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin DGuy B Mulligan
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
J Bone Miner Res 25:928-30. 2010..was to determine whether administration of vitamin D supplement with the largest meal of the day would improve absorption and increase serum levels of 25(OH)D...
- Implementation of a transit compartment model for describing drug absorption in pharmacokinetic studiesRadojka M Savic
Division of Pharmacokinetics and Drug Therapy, Department of Pharmaceutical Biosciences, Faculty of Pharmacy, Uppsala University, Uppsala 75234, Sweden
J Pharmacokinet Pharmacodyn 34:711-26. 2007....
- Absorption and distribution characteristics of 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) after an application to the liver surface in rats in order to reduce systemic side effectsYukinobu Kodama
Department of Clinical Pharmacy, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Nagasaki University, 1 14 Bunkyo machi, Nagasaki 852 8521, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 31:1049-52. 2008The present study was undertaken to elucidate the absorption and distribution characteristics of 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) after its application to the liver surface in rats to examine the possibility of reducing the systemic side effects of ..
- Calcium absorption and bone mineral density in celiacs after long term treatment with gluten-free diet and adequate calcium intakeM Pazianas
Department of Medicine, Ralston Penn Center, University of Pennsylvania, 3615 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Osteoporos Int 16:56-63. 2005..This study investigates calcium absorption and bone mineral density (BMD) after a prolonged, over 4 years, treatment with a gluten-free diet...
- Site of deposition and absorption of an inhaled hydrophilic soluteEva Bondesson
AstraZeneca R and D Lund, SE 22187 Lund, Sweden
Br J Clin Pharmacol 63:722-31. 2007To characterize the absorption kinetics and bioavailability of an inhaled hydrophilic solute deposited at various sites within the airways.
- Delineation of molecular changes in intrahepatic cholesterol metabolism resulting from diminished cholesterol absorptionJoyce J Repa
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 8887, USA
J Lipid Res 46:779-89. 2005The absorption of cholesterol by the small intestine is a major route for the net entry of cholesterol into the body and can therefore affect the plasma low density lipoprotein-cholesterol (LDL-C) concentration...
- Active NaCl absorption across posterior gills of hyperosmoregulating Chasmagnathus granulatusHorst Onken
Departamento de Biologia, Faculdade de Filosofia, Ciencias e Letras de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Avenida Bandeirantes 3900, Ribeirão Preto 14040 901, SP, Brasil
J Exp Biol 206:1017-23. 2003....
- Cybrd1 (duodenal cytochrome b) is not necessary for dietary iron absorption in miceHiromi Gunshin
Children s Hospital, Karp Family Research Laboratories RM 8 125, Boston, MA 02115 5737, USA
Blood 106:2879-83. 2005Mammalian nonheme iron absorption requires reduction of dietary iron for uptake by the divalent metal ion transport system in the intestine...
- Evidence for multiple complementary pathways for efficient cholesterol absorption in miceJahangir Iqbal
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, and Pediatrics, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY, USA
J Lipid Res 46:1491-501. 2005..In apoA-I(-/-) mice, the absorption of a bolus of cholesterol was similar in control and apoA-I(-/-) mice fed chow or high-cholesterol diet...
- The use of absorption enhancers to enhance the dispersibility of spray-dried powders for pulmonary gene therapyH Y Li
Gene Delivery Research Group, Welsh School of Pharmacy, Cardiff University, Cardiff CF10 3XF, UK
J Gene Med 7:1035-43. 2005..Pulmonary absorption enhancers have been shown to improve the penetration of pharmaceutically active ingredients in the airway...
- Absorption of hydroxycinnamates in humans after high-bran cereal consumptionSandra M Kern
Institute of Food Research, Nutrition Division, Norwich Research Park, Colney, Norwich NR4 7UA, UK
J Agric Food Chem 51:6050-5. 2003..The present work investigated the absorption in humans of hydroxycinnamic acids from high-bran breakfast cereal (wheat)...
- Progesterone stimulation of fluid absorption by the rat uterine glandR J Naftalin
Division of Physiology, King s College London, New Hunt s House, Guys Campus, SE1 1UL, UK
Reproduction 123:633-8. 2002The purpose of this study was to test the hypothesis that the steroid environment affects fluid absorption by the uterine glands...
- Phytic acid degradation as a means of improving iron absorptionRichard F Hurrell
Institute of Food Science and Nutrition, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Ruschlikon, Switzerland
Int J Vitam Nutr Res 74:445-52. 2004Phytic acid is a potent inhibitor of native and fortification iron absorption and low absorption of iron from cereal- and/or legume-based complementary foods is a major factor in the etiology of iron deficiency in infants...
- Inositol phosphates with different numbers of phosphate groups influence iron absorption in humansA S Sandberg
Department of Food Science, Chalmers University of Technology, University of Goteborg, Sahlgrenska Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Am J Clin Nutr 70:240-6. 1999Inositol hexaphosphate (IP(6)) is a well-known inhibitor of iron absorption, whereas the effects of the less-phosphorylated derivatives of IP(6) are less known.
- The absorption, metabolism and excretion of flavan-3-ols and procyanidins following the ingestion of a grape seed extract by ratsCatherine Tsang
Plant Products and Human Nutrition Group, Graham Kerr Building, Division of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK
Br J Nutr 94:170-81. 2005..No convincing analytical data were obtained for the presence of flavan-3-ol metabolites in the brain...
- Direct characterization and removal of interfering absorption trends in two-layer turbid mediaRolf B Saager
The Institute of Optics, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14627, USA
J Opt Soc Am A Opt Image Sci Vis 22:1874-82. 2005We propose a method to isolate absorption trends confined to the lower layer of a two-layer turbid medium, as is desired in near-infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) of cerebral hemodynamics...
- Absorption, distribution, metabolism, and elimination of 8-2 fluorotelomer alcohol in the ratWilliam J Fasano
DuPont Haskell Laboratory for Health and Environmental Sciences, Newark, Delaware 19714, USA
Toxicol Sci 91:341-55. 2006The absorption, distribution, metabolism, and elimination of [3-14C] 8-2 fluorotelomer alcohol (8-2 FTOH, C7F1514CF2CH2CH2OH) following a single oral dose at 5 and 125 mg/kg in male and female rats have been determined...
- Aspirin absorption rates and platelet inhibition times with 325-mg buffered aspirin tablets (chewed or swallowed intact) and with buffered aspirin solutionM Feldman
Dallas Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, 75216, USA
Am J Cardiol 84:404-9. 1999..placebo-controlled study to determine whether chewing aspirin or administering it in solution accelerates its absorption and antiplatelet activity...
- Fluid absorption in endoscopic surgeryR G Hahn
Department of Anaesthesia, Karolinska Institute, South Hospital, SE 118 83, Stockholm, Sweden
Br J Anaesth 96:8-20. 2006Fluid absorption is an unpredictable complication of endoscopic surgery...
- Flavonoids and isoflavones: absorption, metabolism, and bioactivityCatherine Rice-Evans
Wolfson Center for Age Related Diseases, King s College, St Thomas s Street, London SE1 1UL, United Kingdom
Free Radic Biol Med 36:827-8. 2004
- The bioavailability and absorption of anthocyanins: towards a better understandingTony K McGhie
Institute of Food, Nutrition, and Human Health, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Mol Nutr Food Res 51:702-13. 2007..anthocyanin biochemistry and discusses these in the context of what is currently known about bioavailability and absorption. Compared with other flavonoid groups, such as flavonols, relatively little is known about details and ..
- Effects of above average summer sun exposure on serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and calcium absorptionM Janet Barger-Lux
Osteoporosis Research Center, Creighton University, 601 North 30th Street, Omaha, Nebraska 68131, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:4952-6. 2002..of this study was to examine the effects of summer sun exposure on serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D], calcium absorption fraction, and urinary calcium excretion...
- Effect of subconjunctivally injected, liposome-bound, low-molecular-weight heparin on the absorption rate of subconjunctival hemorrhage in rabbitsJun Woong Moon
Department of Ophthalmology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Artificial Eye Center of Clinical Research Institute, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 47:3968-74. 2006To investigate the effect of subconjunctival injection of liposome-bound, low-molecular-weight heparin (LMWH) on the absorption rate of subconjunctival hemorrhages.
- Pharmacokinetics of topical ocular drug delivery: potential uses for the treatment of diseases of the posterior segment and beyondSteven B Koevary
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Disease, New England College of Optometry, 424 Beacon Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Curr Drug Metab 4:213-22. 2003In developing a drug delivery strategy, issues of absorption, distribution, metabolism, and elimination must be considered...
- Effects of chenodeoxycholic acid and deoxycholic acid on cholesterol absorption and metabolism in humansYanwen Wang
Institute for Nutrisciences and Health, National Research Council of Canada, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
Transl Res 148:37-45. 2006Quantitative and qualitative differences in intralumenal bile acids may affect cholesterol absorption and metabolism...
- Nasal absorption of metoclopramide from different Carbopol 981 based formulations: In vitro, ex vivo and in vivo evaluationCetin Tas
Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Etlik Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 64:246-54. 2006..05) and might represent a promising novel tool for the systemic delivery of MTC...
- Drug absorption from the isolated perfused rat lung--correlations with drug physicochemical properties and epithelial permeabilityAnn Tronde
Department of Pharmacy, Uppsala University, Box 580, BMC, SE 751 23 Uppsala, Sweden
J Drug Target 11:61-74. 2003The pulmonary absorption of nine low-molecular-weight (225-430 Da) drugs (atenolol, budesonide, enalaprilat, enalapril, formoterol, losartan, metoprolol, propranolol and terbutaline) and one high-molecular-weight membrane permeability ..
- Comparison of a chemical and enzymatic extraction of arsenic from rice and an assessment of the arsenic absorption from contaminated water by cooked riceAmanda H Ackerman
Microbiological and Chemical Exposure Assessment Research Division, NERL, ORD, United States Environmental Protection Agency, Cincinnati, Ohio 45268, USA
Environ Sci Technol 39:5241-6. 2005..The absorption of arsenic by rice from the total volume of water [1:1 to 4:1 (water:rice)] used in cooking was between 89% and ..
- Absorption of sugars and amino acids by the epidermis of Aphidius ervi larvaeB Giordana
Dipartimento di Biologia, Universita di Milano, Via Celoria 26, 20133 Milan, Italy
J Insect Physiol 49:1115-24. 2003..both of its nutritional needs and of the functional properties of the larval epithelia involved in nutrient absorption. The experimental evidence presented in this paper unequivocally demonstrates that the uptake of sugars and ..
- Effect of nanonization on absorption of 301029: ex vivo and in vivo pharmacokinetic correlations determined by liquid chromatography/mass spectrometryLee Jia
Institute for Drug Development Cancer Therapy and Research Center, San Antonio, Texas 78245, USA
Pharm Res 19:1091-6. 2002....
- Luminal P2Y2 receptor-mediated inhibition of Na+ absorption in isolated perfused mouse CCDHeiko Lehrmann
Physiologisches Institut, Albert Ludwigs Universitat, Hermann Herder Strasse 7, 79104 Freiburg, Germany
J Am Soc Nephrol 13:10-8. 2002..Herein the effects of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) and uridine triphosphate (UTP) on electrogenic Na+ absorption in perfused CCD of mice kept on a low-NaCl diet were investigated...
- In vitro effects of deoxynivalenol on small intestinal D-glucose uptake and absorption of deoxynivalenol across the isolated jejunal epithelium of laying hensW A Awad
Department of Veterinary Public Health and Food Science, Institute of Animal Nutrition, University of Veterinary Medicine, A 1210 Vienna, Austria
Poult Sci 86:15-20. 2007..The results imply that the exposure to DON-contaminated feeds may negatively affect animal health and performance by local (i.e., inhibition of intestinal SGLT-1) and systemic effects...
- The relationship between water vapor absorption and desorption by phospholipids and bilayer phase transitionsHeidi M Mansour
School of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin Madison, 777 Highland Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53705 2222, USA
J Pharm Sci 96:377-96. 2007Water vapor absorption and desorption at 25 degrees C and phase transition temperatures of phospholipid bilayers were measured as a function of relative humidity (RH) to better understand how the patterns of water vapor absorption and ..
- Tomographic imaging of absolute optical absorption coefficient in turbid media using combined photoacoustic and diffusing light measurementsLu Yin
J Crayton Pruitt Family Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32611, USA
Opt Lett 32:2556-8. 2007We present a new method that can provide high resolution images of absolute optical absorption coefficient in heterogeneous turbid media...
- Electrical measurement of the absorption surfaces of tree roots by the earth impedance method: 1. TheoryLudek Aubrecht
Department of Physics, CTU in Prague, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Technicka 2, 166 27 Prague 6, Czech Republic
Tree Physiol 26:1105-12. 2006..of tree tissues and soil, the interfacial area, which represents the absorbing root surfaces (or root absorption zones), can be calculated...
- Specific absorption rate studies of the parallel transmission of inner-volume excitations at 7TAdam C Zelinski
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Research Laboratory of Electronics, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 28:1005-18. 2008To investigate the behavior of whole-head and local specific absorption rate (SAR) as a function of trajectory acceleration factor and target excitation pattern due to the parallel transmission (pTX) of spatially tailored excitations at 7T...
- Recent progress in the computational prediction of aqueous solubility and absorptionStephen R Johnson
Computer Assisted Drug Design, Bristol Myers Squibb Pharmaceutical Research Institute, Princeton, NJ, USA
AAPS J 8:E27-40. 2006The computational prediction of aqueous solubility and/or human absorption has been the goal of many researchers in recent years. Such an in silico counterpart to the biopharmaceutical classification system (BCS) would have great utility...
- Absorption of light by extremely shallow metallic gratings: metamaterial behaviorEvgeny Popov
Institut Fresnel, Aix Marseille Universite, CNRS, Faculté St Jérôme, 13397 Marseille Cedex 20, France
Opt Express 17:6770-81. 2009..The full absorption still holds at the homogeneization limit when the period tends toward zero...
- Simultaneous absorption of vitamins C and E from topical microemulsions using reconstructed human epidermis as a skin modelBranka Rozman
Laboratoire de Recherche et Développement de Pharmacie Galénique Industrielle, Université Lyon I, Lyon, France
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 72:69-75. 2009..Notable differences were observed between formulations. The absorption of vitamins C and E in RHE layers was in general enhanced by ME compared to solutions...
- Enhancement in treatment planning for magnetic nanoparticle hyperthermia: optimization of the heat absorption patternM Salloum
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Maryland Baltimore County, Baltimore, Maryland 21250, USA
Int J Hyperthermia 25:309-21. 2009..We believe that the optimization algorithm developed in this study can be used as a guideline for physicians to design an optimal treatment plan in magnetic nanoparticle hyperthermia...
- Oxidized mesoporous silicon microparticles for improved oral delivery of poorly soluble drugsFeng Wang
Ian Wark Research Institute, University of South Australia, Mawson Lakes, SA 5095, Australia
Mol Pharm 7:227-36. 2010..The in vitro-in vivo correlation is discussed based on the noncompartment model and gives insight into the delivery mechanism for the pSi carrier...
- Reflected light intensity profile of two-layer tissues: phantom experimentsRinat Ankri
Bar Ilan University, School of Engineering and the Institute of Nanotechnology and Advanced Materials, Ramat Gan, 52900, Israel
J Biomed Opt 16:085001. 2011..slope, named as the crossover point, depends on the upper layer thickness as well as on the ratio between the absorption coefficients of the two layers...
- SUPPORT CONTRACT FOR THE NTP INTERAGENCY CENTER/VALIDATION OF ALT METHODSDavid Allen; Fiscal Year: 2012..of safety testing and available alternatives include: eye irritation and injury, acute systemic toxicity, dermal absorption, dermal corrosivity and irritation, allergic contact dermatitis, pyrogenicity, and vaccine potency...
- SUPPORT CONTRACT FOR THE NTP INTERAGENCY CENTER/VALIDATION OF ALT METHODSDavid Allen; Fiscal Year: 2011..of safety testing and available alternatives include: eye irritation and injury, acute systemic toxicity, dermal absorption, dermal corrosivity and irritation, allergic contact dermatitis, pyrogenicity, and vaccine potency...
- Cellular Efflux and Metabolism of Protease InhibitorsAshim Mitra; Fiscal Year: 2004..The purpose of this study is to classify all anti-AIDS drugs, currently used clinically, under a new proposed Absorption-Metabolism Classification System (AMCS)...
- Absorption, distribution, metabolism, excretion (ADME) of chemicals in mammalsRochelle W Tyl; Fiscal Year: 2009Keywords;Absorption;Distribution;Metabolism;Excretion;ADME;Metabolite identification;toxicokinetics;Mechanisms of toxicity;2,3-butanedione;diacetyl;N,N-dimethylacetoacetamide;obliterative bronchiolitis;CYP;eugenol;safrole;estragole;..
- AGE-RELATED GASTRIC CHANGES AND DRUG ABSORPTIONAryeh Hurwitz; Fiscal Year: 1993Age-related changes in gastric function will be studied and related to absorption of orally administered drugs. Gastric achlorhydria and delayed emptying are believed to be more common in the elderly...
- ORAL DRUG DELIVERY AND BIOAVAILABILITY--AIDSGordon Amidon; Fiscal Year: 1993Drug absorption and bioavailability is largely treated on an empirical basis with after-the-fact analysis of studies in animals and/or humans...
- DRUG METABOLISM BY INTESTINAL FLAVIN MONOOXYGENASESROSITA PROTEAU; Fiscal Year: 2001..These dietary interactions can be important when total drug absorption is altered...
- Imaging Nonlinear Absorption of Biomarkers for Improved Detection of MelanomaWarren S Warren; Fiscal Year: 2010..Specifically, we will apply a novel imaging technology (transient absorption microscopy) to image melanins and hemoglobins in developing skin lesions, in both fixed and live skin...
- PHARMACOTHERAPY FOR XEROSTOMIA IN SJOGREN'S SYNDROMESAMUEL HOPKINS; Fiscal Year: 2005..The buccal mucosa likely regulates the absorption of water through a coupled mechanism with the active absorption of sodium and passive absorption of chloride as ..
- REGULATORS OF IRON ABSORPTIONMARCEL CONRAD; Fiscal Year: 2000A hypothetical model for iron absorption was developed from discovery of three 'new' iron binding proteins in rat and human duodenal mucosa...
- EFFECTS OF BILE ACIDS ON CALCIUM AND IRON ABSORPTIONEdward Moore; Fiscal Year: 1990Several previous studies have shown that whole bile and/or bile salts enhance absorption of both iron and calcium...
- Supplemental Vitamin D and Functional Outcomes in Early AdolescenceRichard D Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2010..has been suggested as a target for sufficiency based on serum parathyroid hormone (PTH) concentrations, calcium absorption and fracture rates...
- Dietary Factors Affecting Calcium and Zinc AbsorptionSteven Abrams; Fiscal Year: 2006..Our goal is to identify dietary factors to enhance calcium absorption and bone mineralization in vulnerable populations...
- Drug-Dietary Flavonoid Intestinal Absorption InteractionROSITA PROTEAU; Fiscal Year: 2002..health benefits; thus, understanding the possible biological effects of the flavonoids on intestinal drug absorption is essential...
- Apical Chloride/Bicarbonate Exchangers in Small Intestine and KidneyManoocher Soleimani; Fiscal Year: 2009PROJECT SUMMARY / ABSTRACT Small intestine and kidney tubules play essential roles in the absorption and homeostatic balance of salt and carbohydrates...
- Enhancing Dietary Iron and Zinc Bioavailability in Indian ChildrenSteven A Abrams; Fiscal Year: 2010..Background: Iron and zinc deficiencies frequently occur together because the dietary factors that impair iron absorption also affect zinc absorption. There is no recommended daily intake for zinc in India...
- Sodium Transport Inhibitors for Hypertension and Cystic FibrosisErik Schwiebert; Fiscal Year: 2009..renal epithelial cells in the latter segments of the nephron of the kidney drives hypertension;accelerated salt absorption across respiratory epithelial cells causes airway surface dehydration in CF...
- REGULATORS OF IRON ABSORPTIONMARCEL CONRAD; Fiscal Year: 1992Consistent discrepancies in the regulation of iron absorption in the proximal small intestine result in either iron deficiency or iron overloading. Regulation is not adequately explained by mucosal transferrin and ferritin...
- PHARMACODYNAMICS OF AGENTS FOR BLADDER CANCER THERAPYJESSIE AU; Fiscal Year: 2003..and thiotepa, (a) drug concentration-time profiles in blood and urine, (b) extent and rate of systemic absorption of drugs from bladder, and (c) effects of transurethral resection and disease staging on drug absorption. A.2...
- Calcium Absorption and Bone Formation During PubertySteven Abrams; Fiscal Year: 2005..from the applicant's abstract) Background: Rapid increases in bone mass occur during Liberty Optimizing calcium absorption (Ca abs) and bone calcium deposition (V0+) during puberty can enhance peak bone mass and ultimately decrease the ..