- The neural control of micturition
Clare J Fowler
University College London, Department of Uro Neurology, London, WC1N 3BG, UK
Nat Rev Neurosci 9:453-66. 2008
Micturition, or urination, occurs involuntarily in infants and young children until the age of 3 to 5 years, after which it is regulated voluntarily...
- Bladder dysfunction in mice with experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis
Cengiz Z Altuntas
Department of Immunology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Neuroimmunol 203:58-63. 2008
..sclerosis (MS) develop bladder control problems including urgency to urinate, urinary incontinence, frequency of urination, and retention of urine...
- Cholinergic activation of phasic activity in the isolated bladder: possible evidence for M3- and M2-dependent components of a motor/sensory system
Steven M Finney
Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
BJU Int 100:668-78. 2007
..To analyse pressure changes induced by muscarinic agonists on the isolated bladder in order to examine whether there are different responses representing different components of a motor/sensory system within the bladder wall...
- Modulation of non-voiding activity by the muscarinergic antagonist tolterodine and the β(3)-adrenoceptor agonist mirabegron in conscious rats with partial outflow obstruction
James I Gillespie
The Uro physiology Research Group, The Dental and Medical School, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
BJU Int 110:E132-42. 2012
..Such concepts could provide insights into the nature of overactive bladder and the site of action of key therapeutic drugs...
- Nitric oxide/cyclic guanosine monophosphate signalling mediates an inhibitory action on sensory pathways of the micturition reflex in the rat
Charles Nicolle Hospital, Department of Urology, Rouen, France
Eur Urol 58:616-25. 2010
..Several studies have suggested that nitric oxide (NO) or its downstream signalling could modulate the micturition reflex (MR) by reducing the excitability of bladder afferents...
- Mirabegron, a β₃-adrenoceptor agonist for the potential treatment of urinary frequency, urinary incontinence or urgency associated with overactive bladder
William Beaumont Hospital, Department of Urology, 3811 West 13 Mile Road, Royal Oak, MI 48073, USA
IDrugs 13:713-22. 2010
- Deletion of the transient receptor potential cation channel TRPV4 impairs murine bladder voiding
Department of Urology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
J Clin Invest 117:3453-62. 2007
..These data demonstrate a previously unrecognized role for TRPV4 in voiding behavior, raising the possibility that TRPV4 plays a critical role in urothelium-mediated transduction of intravesical mechanical pressure...
- Afferent fibers of the hypogastric nerves are involved in the facilitating effects of chemical bladder irritation in rats
Department of Urology, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo 060 8638, Japan
J Neurophysiol 86:2276-84. 2001
..These results suggest that capsaicin-sensitive bladder afferent fibers in the HGN, which travel through the rostral lumbar spinal cord, have a role in urinary frequency caused by chemical bladder irritation...
- Diagnostic value of International Prostate Symptom Score voiding-to-storage subscore ratio in male lower urinary tract symptoms
C H Liao
Department of Urology, Cardinal Tien Hospital and Fu Jen Catholic University, Taipei, Taiwan
Int J Clin Pract 65:552-8. 2011
..To investigate the diagnostic value of the International Prostate Symptom Score (IPSS) voiding-to-storage subscore ratio (IPSS-V/S) in male lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS)...
- Non-invasive techniques in the diagnosis of bladder storage disorders
Fawzy F Farag
Department of Urology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Neurourol Urodyn 30:1422-8. 2011
..To review clinical studies thus have been conducted to develop non-invasive diagnostic tools in the storage phase of the micturition cycle...
- The relationship between cognition and sensation in determining when and where to void: the concept of cognitive voiding
School of Psychology, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
BJU Int 110:1756-61. 2012
..OBJECTIVE • To investigate the inter-relationship between conscious decision-making processes and bladder sensation in determining the need, time and place to void..
- On the origins of the sensory output from the bladder: the concept of afferent noise
James I Gillespie
The Uro physiology Research Group, The Medical School, The University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
BJU Int 103:1324-33. 2009
..The emerging picture is complex, but this complexity must not be negated or oversimplified. It must be embraced and incorporated it into thinking when designing experiments, analysing data, diagnosing patients and evaluating treatment...
- Effects of inhibition of the L-arginine/nitric oxide pathway in the rat lower urinary tract in vivo and in vitro
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Lund University Hospital, Sweden
Br J Pharmacol 107:178-84. 1992
..They also suggest that the site of action of L-NAME for inducing bladder hyperactivity in the rat is the outlet region rather than the detrusor muscle...
- Integrative control of the lower urinary tract: preclinical perspective
William C de Groat
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pittsburgh Medical School, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Br J Pharmacol 147:S25-40. 2006
..The urothelial cells exhibit 'neuron-like' properties that allow them to respond to mechanical and chemical stimuli and to release transmitters that can modulate the activity of afferent nerves...
- Normative bladder diary measurements: night versus day
Birmingham Women s Hospital, Birmingham, United Kingdom, and Obstetrics and Gynecology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Neurourol Urodyn 26:465-73. 2007
..A major objective of this study was to generate age-adjusted reference values against which clinical measurements of nocturia can be compared...
- Prospective, randomized, double-blind study of safety and tolerability of intravesical resiniferatoxin (RTX) in interstitial cystitis (IC)
Tony Y H Chen
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Sherbrooke, Service d urologie 3001, Canada
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 16:293-7. 2005
..To determine the safety and tolerability of intravesical resiniferatoxin (RTX) in interstitial cystitis (IC) patients...
- Characterization of mouse lumbar splanchnic and pelvic nerve urinary bladder mechanosensory afferents
Department of Pharmacology, Carver College of Medicine, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
J Neurophysiol 99:244-53. 2008
..This knowledge broadens our understanding of the potential roles these two pathways play in conveying mechanical information from the bladder to the spinal cord...
- Diuretic hormone 44 receptor in Malpighian tubules of the mosquito Aedes aegypti: evidence for transcriptional regulation paralleling urination
C L Jagge
Department of Entomology, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843 2475, USA
Insect Mol Biol 17:413-26. 2008
..This suggests that target tissue receptor biology is linked to the known periods of release of diuretic hormones from the nervous system pointing to a common up-stream regulatory mechanism...
- Clinical study of reconstructed bladder innervation below the level of spinal cord injury to produce urination by Achilles tendon-to-bladder reflex contractions
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Changzheng Hospital, The Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, PR China
J Neurosurg Spine 10:452-7. 2009
..In the present study, the authors analyze the effectiveness of neurogenic bladder reinnervation in patients with SCIs by using Achilles tendon reflexes below the paraplegic level...
- Short-term reproducibility of cystometry and pressure-flow micturition studies in healthy women
Department of Gynecology Obstetrics, Glostrup Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Neurourol Urodyn 21:457-60. 2002
..To evaluate the reproducibility of cystometry and pressure flow studies in women. We wanted to explore any clinically relevant effect of repeated, same-session cystometry...
- How sudden is a compelling desire to void? An observational cystometric study on the suddenness of this sensation
Stefan De Wachter
Department of Urology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Antwerpen, Belgium
BJU Int 101:1000-3. 2008
..To evaluate whether a compelling desire to void (CDV) is always perceived suddenly, or whether it can result from the gradual build-up of bladder-filling sensations...
- Normal voiding patterns assessed by means of a frequency-volume chart
Institute of Clinical Medicine, University Hospital of Aarhus, Skejby Sygehus, Aarhus, Denmark
Scand J Urol Nephrol 42:269-73. 2008
..This study aimed to elucidate the mechanisms behind the diurnal and nocturnal urine output patterns in young and elderly male volunteers. Of particular interest was bladder reservoir function during the day and night...
- Reliability and normal ranges for the Patient's Perception of Intensity of Urgency Scale in asymptomatic women
Department of Urogynaecology, King s College Hospital, London, UK
BJU Int 105:832-6. 2010
..Symptom prevalence (prospective cohort)...
- Characterization of a spinal, urine storage reflex, inhibitory center and its regulation by 5-HT1A receptors in female cats
Urogenix, Inc, Durham, NC 27709, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 298:R1198-208. 2010
..SUSRIC is inhibited (disfacilitated) by supraspinal 5-HT(1A) receptors...
- Urine flow is a novel hemodynamic monitoring tool for the detection of hypovolemia
Micha Y Shamir
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, POB 12000, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Anesth Analg 112:593-6. 2011
..We performed a preliminary evaluation to determine whether urine flow can act as an early and sensitive warning of hypovolemia...
- Central nervous control of micturition and urine storage
Division of Urology, Department of Organ oriented Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of the Ryukyus, Okinawa 903 0215, Japan
J Smooth Muscle Res 41:117-32. 2005
..For micturition to occur, the cerebrum must abate its inhibitory influence on the PMC...
- Experimental colitis in mice and sensitization of converging visceral and somatic afferent pathways
Department of Pharmacology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 290:G451-7. 2006
..We conclude that cross talk between afferent visceral and somatic pathways may contribute to the coexistence of pain syndromes...
- Bladder inhibition or excitation by electrical perianal stimulation in a cat model of chronic spinal cord injury
Department of Urology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
BJU Int 103:530-6. 2009
..To test the hypothesis that perianal electrical stimulation (PES) in chronic spinal cord-injured (SCI) cats could induce frequency-dependent inhibitory or excitatory reflex bladder responses...
- Sacral dorsal horn neurone activity during micturition in the cat
Robert R Buss
Department of Physiology, University of Manitoba, 730 William Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3E 3J7
J Physiol 551:387-96. 2003
..The depression of group II neurones may serve to suppress unwanted hindlimb reflexes that could disrupt micturition...
- Convergence of sensory pathways in the development of somatic and visceral hypersensitivity
Div of Gastroenterology, Dept of Medicine, Univ of Pittsburgh, 200 Lothrop St, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 291:G658-65. 2006
- Serotonin and norepinephrine involvement in efferent pathways to the urethral rhabdosphincter: implications for treating stress urinary incontinence
Karl B Thor
Dynogen Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Durham, North Carolina 27709, USA
Urology 62:3-9. 2003
..Early trials have demonstrated that duloxetine significantly reduces incontinence episodes and is well tolerated in the clinical setting...
- Autoimmunity to uroplakin II causes cystitis in mice: a novel model of interstitial cystitis
Cengiz Z Altuntas
Department of Urology, University Hospitals, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Eur Urol 61:193-200. 2012
..The pathophysiology of interstitial cystitis (IC) is unknown. Deficits in urothelial cell layers and autoimmune mechanisms may play a role...
- The central nervous system control of micturition in cats and humans
B F Blok
Department of Anatomy and Embryology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
Behav Brain Res 92:119-25. 1998
..In humans the L-region is especially active in volunteers who tried but did not succeed to micturate. The results suggest that in cats and humans at the brainstem and diencephalic levels micturition is organized in the same way...
- Long-term administration of prazosin improves bladder storage function: results from a study in spontaneously hypertensive rats
Department of Urology, Fukushima Medical University School of Medicine, Fukushima, Japan
Int J Urol 18:785-91. 2011
..To investigate the effects of long-term administration of the α(1) -adrenoceptor antagonist prazosin on afferent inputs from the lower urinary tract (LUT)...
- Evidence of central modulation of bladder compliance during filling phase
Phillip P Smith
Department of Surgery, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, Connecticut 06030, USA
Neurourol Urodyn 31:30-5. 2012
..During attempts to isolate the detrusor contractile component of this filling pressurization, we found that compliance reversibly diminishes under conditions which remove central control from the micturition cycle...
- Rodent models for urodynamic investigation
Karl Erik Andersson
Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Wake Forest University, Winston Salem, NC, USA
Neurourol Urodyn 30:636-46. 2011
..The present review discusses the principles of urodynamics in rodents, techniques, and terminology, as well as some commonly used disease models, and their translational value...
- Neuromodulation in a rat model of the bladder micturition reflex
Medtronic, Inc, Neuromodulation Research, 7000 Central Ave NE, RCE470, Minneapolis, MN 55432, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 302:F477-86. 2012
..Lower intensities of stimulation may activate large, fast-conducting fibers and actions through the afferent limb of the micturition reflex arc in SN neuromodulation. Higher intensities may additionally act through the efferent limb...
- Involvement of metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 in pudendal inhibition of nociceptive bladder activity in cats
Jeffrey A Larson
Department of Urology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Physiol 589:5833-43. 2011
..These results indicate that glutamic acid has a transmitter function in bladder and somato-bladder reflex mechanisms and raise the possibility that mGluR5 may be a target for pharmacological treatment of lower urinary tract disorders...
- Frequency-dependent selection of reflexes by pudendal afferents in the cat
Joseph W Boggs
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
J Physiol 577:115-26. 2006
..The ability to control the two principal functions of the bladder by pudendal nerve stimulation is an exciting prospect for neurorehabilitation...
- Involvement of spinal tachykinin NK1 and NK2 receptors in detrusor hyperreflexia during chemical cystitis in anaesthetized rats
Pharmacology Research Department Menarini Pharmaceuticals, Florence, Italy
Eur J Pharmacol 259:129-35. 1994
..abstract truncated at 250 words)..
- Comparison of neural targets for neuromodulation of bladder micturition reflex in the rat
Neuromodulation Research, Medtronic Incorporated, 7000 Central Ave NE, Minneapolis, MN 55432, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 303:F1196-206. 2012
..Comparing the effects of TN and DNC stimulation to our previous results with SN stimulation, SN stimulation produces the largest duration and efficacy of bladder inhibition...
- Urethral flow-responsive afferents in the cat sacral dorsal root ganglia
Andre E Snellings
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708 0281, USA
Neurosci Lett 516:34-8. 2012
..These are the first data to characterize the properties of flow-responsive afferents in the cat, and reveal properties that parallel those of other afferents...
- The effect of SC-19220, a prostaglandin antagonist, on the micturition reflex in rats
C A Maggi
Pharmacology Department, A Menarini Pharmaceuticals, Florence, Italy
Eur J Pharmacol 152:273-9. 1988
- Does increased urination frequency protect against bladder cancer?
Debra T Silverman
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Int J Cancer 123:1644-8. 2008
Experimental studies suggest that increased urination frequency may reduce bladder cancer risk if carcinogens are present in the urine...
- Effects of CYP-induced cystitis on PACAP/VIP and receptor expression in micturition pathways and bladder function in mice with overexpression of NGF in urothelium
Beatrice M Girard
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
J Mol Neurosci 48:730-43. 2012
..These studies are consistent with target-derived NGF and other inflammatory mediators affecting neurochemical plasticity and the reflex function of micturition pathways...
- Relationships between lower urinary tract symptoms and bladder outlet obstruction: results from the ICS-"BPH" study
J J de la Rosette
Department of Urology, University Hospital Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Neurourol Urodyn 17:99-108. 1998
..Pressure and flow studies and symptom profiles measure different aspects of the clinical condition that should be viewed separately in the evaluation and treatment decision of the patient presenting with lower urinary tract symptoms...
- Transcriptional and translational plasticity in rodent urinary bladder TRP channels with urinary bladder inflammation, bladder dysfunction, or postnatal maturation
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
J Mol Neurosci 48:744-56. 2012
- Defining overactive bladder as hypersensitivity
Department of Urology, Fukushima Medical University, Fukushima, Japan
Neurourol Urodyn 26:904-7. 2007
..This hypersensitivity was observed in our patients regardless of urgency episodes. We therefore hypothesized that OAB may be more accurately defined as a hypersensitivity disorder rather than a syndrome characterized by urgency...
- Effect of esmolol on fluid therapy in normovolemia and hypovolemia
Michael P Kinsky
Resuscitation Research Laboratory, Department of Anesthesiology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0801, USA
Shock 30:55-63. 2008
..Esmolol reduced DeltaPV/DeltaEVV. These data suggest that esmolol impairs the vascular retention of fluid and may increase the amount of volume support during fluid resuscitation...
- Endocrine status affects bladder size and postvoid residual urinary volume in mice
Dipartimento di Anatomia e Fisiologia Umana, Universita di Padova, Padua, Italy
Horm Behav 46:11-8. 2004
Urine is one of the major media for intraspecific chemical communication in mice. The urination pattern is dependent both on the mice's hormonal and social status...
- Automated noninvasive measurement of cyclophosphamide-induced changes in murine voiding frequency and volume
Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Urology and Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York, USA
J Urol 165:653-9. 2001
..The method is applicable to murine models of interstitial cystitis, detrusor instability and other abnormal voiding states. It may be used for evaluating potential therapies for such conditions...
- The voltage-gated sodium channel Nav1.9 is required for inflammation-based urinary bladder dysfunction
Amy M Ritter
Department of Immunology, Merck Research Labs, Rahway, NJ 06070, United States
Neurosci Lett 452:28-32. 2009
..9 KO mice. We conclude that the Nav1.9 sodium channel provides an important link between inflammatory processes and changes in urodynamic properties that occur during urinary bladder inflammation...
- Antagonism of macrophage migration inhibitory factor decreases cyclophosphamide cystitis in mice
Pedro L Vera
The Bay Pines VA Healthcare System, Bay Pines, Florida, USA
Neurourol Urodyn 29:1451-7. 2010
..Therefore, we examined the effects of a MIF tautomerase inhibitor (ISO-1; also blocks biological activity) on cyclophosphamide (CYP)-induced cystitis in mice...
- Pharmacologic perspective on the physiology of the lower urinary tract
Karl Erik Andersson
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Urology 60:13-20; discussion 20-1. 2002
..If this component of activation is responsible not only for part of the bladder contractions, but also for the symptoms of the overactive bladder, it should be considered an important target for therapeutic interventions...
- Purinoceptors as therapeutic targets for lower urinary tract dysfunction
Anthony P D W Ford
Department of Biochemical Pharmacology, Roche Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
Br J Pharmacol 147:S132-43. 2006
- Urine output rate and maximum volume voided in school-age children with and without nocturnal enuresis
Koen Van Hoeck
Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
J Pediatr 151:575-80. 2007
..To compare urine volumes voided and output rates in prepubertal children with and without monosymptomatic nocturnal enuresis (MNE), to investigate the balance between nocturnal urine output and functional bladder capacity...
- Contrasting effects of WIN 55212-2 on motility of the rat bladder and uterus
Program in Neuroscience, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida 32306 1270, USA
J Neurosci 22:7147-53. 2002
- Regulation of connexin 43 by basic fibroblast growth factor in the bladder: transcriptional and behavioral implications
Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
J Urol 185:2398-404. 2011
..We addressed the transcriptional and behavioral implications of this axis...
- Spontaneous expulsion of a screw during urination: an unusual complication 9 years after internal fixation of pubic symphysis diastasis
Martin J Heetveld
Department of Surgery, Sint Lucas Andreas Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Urology 61:645. 2003
..of symphysiolysis and dislocation of the left sacroiliac joint, a screw was spontaneously voided during urination. Unstable plate fixation of the symphysis pubis probably caused screw migration into the bladder, creating a ..
- Phasic non-micturition contractions in the bladder of the anaesthetized and awake rat
Department of Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology, Lund University Hospital, Sweden
BJU Int 97:1094-101. 2006
- Animal models of sacral neuromodulation for detrusor overactivity
Jean Rodolphe Vignes
Service de Neurochirugie A, Hopital Pellegrin, 1, Place Amelie Raba Leon, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
Neurourol Urodyn 28:8-12. 2009
..The present article reviews experimental approaches for SN for treatment of detrusor overactivity and provides explanations for the potential acting mechanisms...
- Bladder activation by selective stimulation of pudendal nerve afferents in the cat
Paul B Yoo
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Duke University, Hudson Hall, Room 136, Box 90281, Durham, NC 27708 0281, USA
Exp Neurol 212:218-25. 2008
..spinal reflexes) activated by selective afferent pudendal nerve stimulation, the latter of which may be applied to restore bladder function in persons with SCI...
- Functional imaging and the central control of the bladder
Rajesh Bharat Chhaganlal Kavia
Department of Uro Neurology, Institute of Neurology and National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, London WC1N 3BG, United Kingdom
J Comp Neurol 493:27-32. 2005
..Further work should aim to examine how the regions interact to achieve urinary continence...
- Voided stain on paper method for analysis of mouse urination
Department of Urology, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Neurourol Urodyn 27:548-52. 2008
..To evaluate the usefulness of a quantification method using filter paper for analyzing minute voided urine of the mouse...
- Intravesical glycosaminoglycan replenishment with chondroitin sulphate in chronic forms of cystitis. A multi-national, multi-centre, prospective observational clinical trial
Department of Urology, Copenhagen University Hospital, Herlev, Denmark
Arzneimittelforschung 58:328-35. 2008
- Circadian variation of voided volume in normal school-age children
Koen Van Hoeck
Paediatric Nephrology, University Hospital Antwerp, Wilrijkstraat 10, Edegem, Belgium
Eur J Pediatr 166:579-84. 2007
..Both plots are promising tools for studying the pathophysiology of voided volume vs. urine output, e.g. in children with nocturnal enuresis...
- Changes in urination/defecation, auditory startle response, and startle-induced ultrasonic vocalizations in rats undergoing morphine withdrawal: similarities and differences between acute and chronic dependence
Department of Pharmacology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 304:603-9. 2003
..Increased urination/defecation, altered startle, and ultrasonic vocalizations (USV) are some signs of the withdrawal syndrome in ..
- The role of spinal and peripheral alpha1- and alpha2-adrenoceptors on bladder activity induced by bladder distension in anaesthetized rat
M S Jeong
Department of Urology, Korea University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
BJU Int 85:925-31. 2000
- The role of the rhabdosphincter in female rat voiding
Institute of Biomedicine, Department of Anatomy, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
BJU Int 94:138-42. 2004
- Preoperative pressure-flow studies: useful variables to predict the outcome of continence surgery
Giuseppe Alessandro Digesu
Department of Urogynaecology, King s College Hospital, London, UK
BJU Int 94:1296-9. 2004
- Evaluation of a novel method for delivering a synthetic analogue of feline facial pheromone to control urine spraying by cats
D S Mills
Animal Behaviour and Cognition Group, University of Lincoln, Caythorpe
Vet Rec 149:197-9. 2001
..Linear regression analysis suggested that there was a significant relationship between the amount of spraying and the duration of the use of FFP...
- Voiding ability using propofol sedation in children undergoing voiding cystourethrograms: a retrospective analysis
Paul A Merguerian
Department of Surgery, Sections of Urology and Pediatric Surgery, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, 1 Medical Center Drive, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
J Urol 176:299-302. 2006
- Voiding and sexual dysfunction after deep rectal resection and total mesorectal excision: prospective study on 52 patients
Clinic for Surgery, Klinikum Kempten Oberallgäu, Robert Weixler Strasse 50, 87439 Kempten, Germany
Int J Colorectal Dis 20:423-7. 2005
- Thunderclap headache after micturition in bladder pheochromocytoma
So Hyang Im
Department of Neurosurgery, Dongguk University Hospital, Gyeonggi Do, Korea
Headache 48:965-7. 2008
..Bladder pheochromocytoma should be included in the differential diagnosis of recurrent thunderclap headache after micturition or exercises...
- A prospective study of sexual and urinary function before and after total mesorectal excision with autonomic nerve preservation for rectal cancer
Department of Surgery, Saint Antoine University Hospital, 184 rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine, 75012 Paris, France
Surgery 131:368-72. 2002
..We hypothesize that curative total mesorectal excision (TME) with autonomic nerve preservation (ANP) can be done with high rates of preservation of such function...
- Effects of anesthesia on cystometry and leak point pressure of the female rat
T W Cannon
Department of Urology, Loyola University of Chicago Medical Center, Maywood, IL, USA
Life Sci 69:1193-202. 2001
..4 +/- 2.4 cm H2O; urethane: 36.2 +/- 3.9 cm H2O). The results suggest that urethane is preferable to K/X for anesthetized cystometry studies since it more closely simulates normal physiological responses...
- Intravesical adenosine triphosphate stimulates the micturition reflex in awake, freely moving rats
Raj Kumar Pandita
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
J Urol 168:1230-4. 2002
..We tested the hypothesis that ATP given intravesically can stimulate afferent nerves and initiate the micturition reflex...
- Management of overactive bladder
Joseph G Ouslander
Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, Wesley Woods Center, Center for Health in Aging, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30329, USA
N Engl J Med 350:786-99. 2004
- Male urine signals social rank in the Mozambique tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus)
Eduardo N Barata
CCMAR CIMAR Laboratório Associado, Universidade do Algarve, Campus de Gambelas, 8005 139 Faro, Portugal
BMC Biol 5:54. 2007
..To investigate whether males use urine during aggressive interactions, we measured urination frequency of dye-injected males during paired interactions between size-matched males...
- Altered urinary bladder function in mice lacking the vanilloid receptor TRPV1
L A Birder
Department of Medicine, Laboratory of Epithelial Cell Biology, Renal Electrolyte Division, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Nat Neurosci 5:856-60. 2002
..These findings indicate that TRPV1 participates in normal bladder function and is essential for normal mechanically evoked purinergic signaling by the urothelium...
- Clinical efficacy, safety, and tolerability of once-daily fesoterodine in subjects with overactive bladder
The Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK
Eur Urol 52:1204-12. 2007
..To determine the efficacy, tolerability, and safety of fesoterodine in subjects with overactive bladder (OAB)...
- Tolterodine extended release attenuates lower urinary tract symptoms in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia
Steven A Kaplan
Department of Urology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
J Urol 174:2273-5. discussion 2275-6. 2005
- Overexpression of NGF in mouse urothelium leads to neuronal hyperinnervation, pelvic sensitivity, and changes in urinary bladder function
Department of Neuroscience, Roche Palo Alto, Palo Alto, California, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 298:R534-47. 2010
..NGF-overexpressing mice may, therefore, provide a useful transgenic model for exploring the role of NGF in urinary bladder dysfunction...
- Urine as a social signal in the mozambique tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus)
O G Almeida
Centro de Ciencias do Mar, Universidade do Algarve, Campus de Gambelas, 8005 139 Faro, Portugal
Chem Senses 30:i309-10. 2005
- The ureteric jet doppler waveform as an indicator of vesicoureteric sphincter function in adults and children. An observational study
Vivian Yee Fong Leung
Diagnostic Radiology and Organ Imaging Department Prince of Wales Hospital, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong, China
Ultrasound Med Biol 28:865-72. 2002
- Impaired micturition reflex caused by acute selective dorsal or ventral root(s) rhizotomy in anesthetized rats
Jiuan Miaw Liao
Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
Neurourol Urodyn 25:283-9. 2006
..To clarify the contributions of parasympathetic inputs and outputs to the micturition reflex...
- Afferent bladder nerve activity in the rat: a mechanism for starting and stopping voiding contractions
Joost le Feber
Department of Urology, Sector Furore, Room Ee1630, Erasmus MC, P O Box 1738, 3000 DR, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Urol Res 32:395-405. 2004
..The contraction continues until afferent activity drops below a threshold again as a result of a decreasing volume...
- Threshold for efferent bladder nerve firing in the rat
E van Asselt
Department of Urology Urodynamics, Erasmus University Rotterdam, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Physiol 276:R1819-24. 1999
..Therefore, we concluded that urethral afferent nerve activity does not play a role in the initiation of bladder contractions; voiding contractions presumably are initiated by bladder afferent nerve activity exceeding a certain threshold...
- Abdominal muscle activity during voiding in female rats with normal or irritated bladder
Dept of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3H 1X5
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 290:R1436-45. 2006
..However, we conclude that in female rats, the abdominal muscle is reflexively activated during physiological urine expulsion. On the other hand, bladder irritation is marked by an exaggeration of this abdominal visceromotor reflex...
- Influence of pump compliance (peristaltic vs. infusion) on urodynamic measurement during cystometry in conscious rats
Pharmaceutical R and D Division-Recordati S.p.A, Mia M. Civitali I-20148, Milano, Italy
J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods 45:215-21. 2001
..The present findings indicate that cystometrographic parameters obtained during pump-evoked micturition with a system at high compliance (peristaltic pump) are equivalent to those observed during physiological micturition...
- Effects of the atypical neuroleptic clozapine on micturition parameters in anesthetized rats
P L Vera
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of South Florida, Bay Pines, Florida 33744, USA
Neurourol Urodyn 20:623-39. 2001
- Role of a central muscarinic cholinergic pathway for relaxation of the proximal urethra during the voiding phase in rats
Department of Urology, School of Medicine, Institute of Biomaterials and Bioengineering, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
J Urol 165:999-1003. 2001
- Clozapine inhibits micturition parameters and the external urethral sphincter during cystometry in anesthetized rats
P L Vera
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, R and D Service 151, Bay Pines, FL 33744, USA
Brain Res 901:219-29. 2001
..Clozapine inhibits several urodynamic parameters and inhibits the activity of the external urethral sphincter in anesthetized rats. These effects may help explain the urinary disturbances reported in the clinical literature...
- Central muscarinic mechanisms regulating voiding in rats
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 297:933-9. 2001
..t.) indicate that muscarinic excitatory mechanisms are tonically active. These findings raise the possibility that voiding function is regulated by both inhibitory and excitatory cholinergic mechanisms in the central nervous system...
- Functional importance of cholinergic and purinergic neurotransmission for micturition contraction in the normal, unanaesthetized rat
Department of Urology, Lund University Hospital, Sweden
Br J Pharmacol 109:473-9. 1993
- Functional role of central muscarinic receptors for micturition in normal conscious rats
Department of Urology, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Matsumoto, Japan
J Urol 168:2258-62. 2002
..We tested if muscarinic receptors within the central nervous system mediate a tonic excitatory influence on voiding in rats and if these receptors can be differently influenced by antimuscarinic drugs...
- Effect of muscarinic antagonists on micturition pressure measured by cystometry in normal, conscious rats
Ali Reza Modiri
Department of Pharmacology, Biovitrum, Uppsala, Sweden
Urology 59:963-8. 2002
..To establish an in vivo model to screen new muscarinic antagonists for the treatment of overactive urinary bladder and to calculate the respective ID(50) values...
- Is sensory urgency part of the same spectrum of bladder dysfunction as detrusor overactivity?
Bernard T Haylen
St Vincent s Clinic, 438 Victoria Street, 2010, Darlinghurst, N S W, Australia
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 18:123-8. 2007
..Overall, sensory urgency and detrusor overactivity appear to be part of the same spectrum of bladder dysfunction...
- Effects of saw palmetto extract on micturition reflex of rats and its autonomic receptor binding activity
Department of Biopharmacy and Center of Excellence Program in the 21st Century, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Shizuoka, Japan
J Urol 173:1395-9. 2005
..We examined the effects of saw palmetto extract (SPE) on the rat micturition reflex and on autonomic receptors in the lower urinary tract...
- Influence of temperature on urethra to bladder micturition reflex in the awake ewe
Department of Physiology and Therapeutics, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, 7 Avenue Général de Gaulle, 94704 Maisons Alfort, France
Neurourol Urodyn 26:290-5. 2007
..The aim of this study was to investigate whether the urethral reflex first described in awake ewes could also be temperature-dependent...
- Sacral neuromodulation in women with idiopathic detrusor overactivity incontinence: decreased overactivity but unchanged bladder contraction strength and urethral resistance during voiding
Department of Urology, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Urol 175:1005-9; discussion 1009. 2006
..We evaluated the effect of sacral (S3) nerve neuromodulation on voiding in women with idiopathic detrusor overactivity incontinence...