Genomes and Genes
Summary: The first MENSTRUAL CYCLE marked by the initiation of MENSTRUATION.
Publications344 found, 100 shown here
- Thirty new loci for age at menarche identified by a meta-analysis of genome-wide association studiesCathy E Elks
Medical Research Council MRC Epidemiology Unit, Institute of Metabolic Science, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Nat Genet 42:1077-85. 2010To identify loci for age at menarche, we performed a meta-analysis of 32 genome-wide association studies in 87,802 women of European descent, with replication in up to 14,731 women. In addition to the known loci at LIN28B (P = 5...
- Age at menarche and risk of type 2 diabetes: results from 2 large prospective cohort studiesChunyan He
Department of Public Health and Melvin and Bren Simon Cancer Center, School of Medicine, Indiana University, 980 West Walnut Street, R3 C241, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Am J Epidemiol 171:334-44. 2010The authors investigated the association between age at menarche and risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) among 101,415 women from the Nurses' Health Study (NHS) aged 34-59 years (1980-2006) and 100,547 women from Nurses' Health Study ..
- A large-scale candidate gene association study of age at menarche and age at natural menopauseChunyan He
Department of Public Health, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Hum Genet 128:515-27. 2010Recent genome-wide association (GWA) studies have identified several novel genetic loci associated with age at menarche and age at natural menopause...
- Genome-wide association study identifies sequence variants on 6q21 associated with age at menarchePatrick Sulem
deCODE Genetics, Reykjavik, Iceland
Nat Genet 41:734-8. 2009Earlier menarche correlates with shorter adult height and higher childhood body fat. We conducted a genome-wide association study of age at menarche (AAM) on 15,297 Icelandic women...
- Reproductive history and oral contraceptive use in relation to risk of triple-negative breast cancerAmanda I Phipps
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 103:470-7. 2011..Hormonally mediated risk factors may be differentially related to risk of triple-negative and ER+ breast cancers...
- Diet throughout childhood and age at menarche in a contemporary cohort of British girlsImogen S Rogers
School of Pharmacy and Biomolecular Sciences, University of Brighton, Cockcroft Building, Lewes Road, Brighton BN2 4GJ, UK
Public Health Nutr 13:2052-63. 2010To investigate associations between dietary intakes throughout childhood and age at menarche, a possible indicator of future risk of disease, in a contemporary cohort of British girls.
- Genetics of age at menarche: a systematic reviewVolodymyr Dvornyk
School of Biological Sciences, University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong SAR, PR China
Hum Reprod Update 18:198-210. 2012b>Menarche is the first menstrual period of a girl at puberty. The timing of menarche is important for health in later life. Age at menarche is a complex trait and has a strong genetic component...
- Determinants of menarcheOlga Karapanou
Third Department of Pediatrics, University of Athens School of Medicine, Attikon University Hospital, Haidari, Athens 12462, Greece
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 8:115. 2010b>Menarche is a milestone in a woman's life as it denotes the start of reproductive capacity...
- Age at menarche and adult BMI in the Aberdeen children of the 1950s cohort studyMary B Pierce
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 82:733-9. 2005Few studies have examined whether the inverse association of age at menarche with adult body mass index (BMI) is due to the tendency of BMI to track between childhood and adult life, with childhood BMI playing a causal role in determining ..
- Early age at menarche associated with cardiovascular disease and mortalityRajalakshmi Lakshman
Medical Research Council Epidemiology Unit, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 0QQ, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:4953-60. 2009The relationship between age at menarche and cardiovascular disease remains unclear. Two recent studies found an inverse association between age at menarche and all-cause mortality.
- Recent decline in age at breast development: the Copenhagen Puberty StudyLise Aksglaede
Rigshospitalet, Department of Growth and Reproduction GR, Section 5064, Blegdamsvej 9, DK 2100 Copenhagen Ø, Denmark
Pediatrics 123:e932-9. 2009..Here we present new European data systematically collected from the same region and by 1 research group at the beginning and end of the recent 15-year period...
- Association between age at menarche and risk of diabetes in adults: results from the EPIC-Norfolk cohort studyR Lakshman
MRC Epidemiology Unit, Institute of Metabolic Science, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Box 285, Cambridge, CB2 0QQ, UK
Diabetologia 51:781-6. 2008Earlier age at menarche is associated with increased BMI and obesity risk from early childhood through to adulthood. We hypothesised that earlier age at menarche would also predict subsequent diabetes risk.
- Age at menarche and risk of type 2 diabetes among African-American and white women in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) studyJ G Dreyfus
Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, 1300 South Second St, Suite 300, Minneapolis, MN 55454 1015, USA
Diabetologia 55:2371-80. 2012We examined race differences in the association between age at menarche and type 2 diabetes before and after adjustment for adiposity.
- Higher levels of IGF-I and adrenal androgens at age 8 years are associated with earlier age at menarche in girlsAjay Thankamony
Department of Paediatrics, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 0QQ, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97:E786-90. 2012Earlier age at menarche is associated with rapid infancy weight gain and childhood obesity. The role of hormone levels in mediating these associations is unclear.
- Infancy weight gain predicts childhood body fat and age at menarche in girlsKen K Ong
Medical Research Council Epidemiology Unit, Institute of Metabolic Science, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge CB2 0QQ, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:1527-32. 2009..Rapid postnatal weight gain has been associated with subsequent increased childhood adiposity. However, the contribution of rapid weight gain during specific infancy periods is not clear...
- Relation of age at menarche to race, time period, and anthropometric dimensions: the Bogalusa Heart StudyDavid S Freedman
Division of Nutrition and Physical Activity, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341 3717, USA
Pediatrics 110:e43. 2002..To assess secular trends in menarcheal age between 1973 and 1994 and to determine whether childhood levels of height, weight, and skinfold thicknesses can account for racial (white/black) differences in menarcheal age...
- Age at menarche in relation to adult height: the EPIC studyN C Onland-Moret
Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Am J Epidemiol 162:623-32. 2005In the last two centuries, age at menarche has decreased in several European populations, whereas adult height has increased...
- Timing of menarche and depressive symptoms in adolescent girls from a UK cohortCarol Joinson
School of Social and Community Medicine, University of Bristol, Cotham House, Cotham Hill, Bristol BS6 6JL, UK
Br J Psychiatry 198:17-23, sup 1-2. 2011A growing number of studies suggest a link between timing of menarche and risk of depressive symptoms in adolescence, but few have prospectively examined the emergence of depressive symptoms from late childhood into adolescence.
- International variability of ages at menarche and menopause: patterns and main determinantsF Thomas
CEPM, UMR CNRS-IRD 9926, , Montpellier, France
Hum Biol 73:271-90. 2001The purpose of this study was to review published studies on the variability of age at menarche and age at menopause throughout the world, and to identify the main causes for age variation in the timing of these events...
- Gene-environment interactions in 7610 women with breast cancer: prospective evidence from the Million Women StudyRuth C Travis
Cancer Epidemiology Unit, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Lancet 375:2143-51. 2010..To test for evidence of gene-environment interactions, we compared genotypic relative risks for breast cancer across the other risk factors in a large UK prospective study...
- Family social class, maternal body mass index, childhood body mass index, and age at menarche as predictors of adult obesityJ Laitinen
Oulu Regional Institute of Occupational Health, Oulu, Finland
Am J Clin Nutr 74:287-94. 2001..Obesity is an increasingly prevalent nutritional disorder throughout the world and is a risk factor for many chronic diseases. The prevalence of obesity increases with age...
- Prenatal and childhood environmental tobacco smoke exposure and age at menarcheJennifer S Ferris
Department of Epidemiology, Columbia University, Mailman School of Public Health, New York, NY, USA
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 24:515-23. 2010Previous studies have reported mixed results regarding the association between age at menarche and environmental tobacco smoke exposure, both prenatally and during early childhood; however, few studies have had data available during both ..
- The impact of socioeconomic status across early life on age at menarche among a racially diverse population of girlsTamarra James-Todd
Connors Center for Women s Health and Gender Biology, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Ann Epidemiol 20:836-42. 2010We sought to evaluate the association between childhood socioeconomic status (SES) at two time points and age at menarche in a multiracial sample of U.S. girls.
- Timing of menarche in Chinese girls with and without adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: current results and review of the literatureSai Hu Mao
Department of Spine Surgery, The Affiliated Drum Tower Hospital of Nanjing University Medical School, Nanjing, 210008, China
Eur Spine J 20:260-5. 2011Age at menarche is closely related to scoliosis progression during adolescence. Current data concerning the timing of menarche between scoliotic and non-scoliotic girls in the literature are conflicting, with inconclusive results...
- Early metformin therapy to delay menarche and augment height in girls with precocious pubarcheLourdes Ibanez
Endocrinology, Hospital Sant Joan de Deu, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, and CIBER de Diabetes y Enfermedades Metabólicas Asociadas, Madrid, Spain
Fertil Steril 95:727-30. 2011To study the effects of early metformin treatment on menarche, height, and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) markers...
- Recall of early menstrual history and menarcheal body size: after 30 years, how well do women remember?A Must
Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, School of Medicine, Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Am J Epidemiol 155:672-9. 2002..Study participants completed a mailed questionnaire to assess the accuracy of recall for age and body size at menarche, usual cycle length during the first 2 years, and age at regularity...
- Reproductive factors and breast cancer risk according to joint estrogen and progesterone receptor status: a meta-analysis of epidemiological studiesHuiyan Ma
Department of Preventive Medicine, Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, 1441 Eastlake Avenue 4407, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA
Breast Cancer Res 8:R43. 2006..This report presents the first meta-analysis of results from epidemiological studies that have investigated parity, age at first birth, breastfeeding, and age at menarche in relation to ER+PR+ and ER-PR- cancer risk.
- The development of reproductive strategy in females: early maternal harshness --> earlier menarche --> increased sexual risk takingJay Belsky
Instititute for Study of Children, Families and Social Issues, Birkbeck University of London, 7 Bedford Square, London WC1B 3RA, United Kingdom
Dev Psychol 46:120-8. 2010..Results showed (a) that greater maternal harshness at 54 months predicted earlier age of menarche; (b) that earlier age of menarche predicted greater sexual (but not other) risk taking; and (c) that maternal ..
- Effects of different socioeconomic conditions on menarche in Turkish female studentsB Ersoy
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Celal Bayar University, Manisa, Turkey
Early Hum Dev 76:115-25. 2004The aim of this study was to determine the age at menarche, the menarcheal features, and the association between menarcheal age and socioeconomic status in an urban area in Turkey...
- Meta-analysis of genome-wide association data identifies two loci influencing age at menarcheJohn R B Perry
Institute of Biomedical and Clinical Science, Peninsula Medical School, Exeter, UK
Nat Genet 41:648-50. 2009We conducted a meta-analysis of genome-wide association data to detect genes influencing age at menarche in 17,510 women. The strongest signal was at 9q31.2 (P = 1...
- Update on age at menarche in Italy: toward the leveling off of the secular trendFranco Rigon
Department of Pediatrics, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
J Adolesc Health 46:238-44. 2010To update the information on age at menarche in the Italian population and to verify the influence of genetic, nutritional, and socioeconomic factors on menarcheal age...
- Father absence, menarche and interest in infants among adolescent girlsDario Maestripieri
Institute for Mind and Biology, University of Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Dev Sci 7:560-6. 2004In this study we examined the relationship between menarche and interest in infants among adolescent girls, and the effects of early environment, particularly of father absence from home, on both variables...
- Impact of breastfeeding duration on age at menarcheBan Al-Sahab
School of Kinesiology and Health Science, York University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Epidemiol 173:971-7. 2011The study aims to assess the relation between breastfeeding duration and age at menarche. Analysis was based on a cohort of 994 Filipino girls born in 1983-1984 and followed up from infancy to adulthood by the Cebu Longitudinal Health and ..
- Hormonal and reproductive factors in relation to melanoma in women: current review and meta-analysisSara Gandini
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, European Institute of Oncology, Via Ripamonti 435, Milan, Italy
Eur J Cancer 47:2607-17. 2011..In contrast, significant associations of CM with parity and age at first pregnancy were observed in this meta-analysis finds and warrant further research...
- Tall or short? Twenty years after preeclampsia exposure in utero: comparisons of final height, body mass index, waist-to-hip ratio, and age at menarche among women, exposed and unexposed to preeclampsia during fetal lifeH S Ros
Department of Medical Epidemiology, Karolinska Institute, SE 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Pediatr Res 49:763-9. 2001..n = 359) during fetal life, answered questions about anthropometric measures, smoking, parity, and age at menarche in a telephone interview in early adulthood...
- Beyond overweight: nutrition as an important lifestyle factor influencing timing of pubertyGuo Cheng
Research Institute of Child Nutrition, Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelms University Bonn, Heinstueck 11, Dortmund, Germany
Nutr Rev 70:133-52. 2012..Childhood overweight as a factor in the earlier onset of menarche has been supported by prospective evidence; nonetheless, its overall contribution may have been overemphasized, ..
- The effects of intense exercise on the female reproductive systemM P Warren
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Endocrinol 170:3-11. 2001..associated with strenuous exercise, and the resulting disturbance of GnRH pulsatility, can result in delayed menarche and disruption of menstrual cyclicity...
- Exposures to endocrine-disrupting chemicals and age of menarche in adolescent girls in NHANES (2003-2008)Danielle E Buttke
National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Environ Health Perspect 120:1613-8. 2012The observed age of menarche has fallen, which may have important adverse social and health consequences. Increased exposure to endocrine-disrupting compounds (EDCs) has been associated with adverse reproductive outcomes.
- Age at menarche among school girls in Sokoto, Northern NigeriaK A Tunau
Department of Obstetrics, Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital, Sokoto, Nigeria
Ann Afr Med 11:103-7. 2012b>Menarche, the first menstrual period, is influenced by many factors including socio-economic status and rural or urban dwelling...
- Prenatal and infant exposures and age at menarcheAimee A D'Aloisio
Epidemiology Branch, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Epidemiology 24:277-84. 2013Early menarche is related to increased risk of breast cancer. The number of established factors that contribute to early menarche is limited...
- Associations between age at menarche and menopause with cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and osteoporosis in Chinese womenChangsheng Qiu
Department of Osteology, Wuyishan Municipal Hospital, Fujian Provincial Hospital, Wuyishan, 354300, China
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98:1612-21. 2013Ages at menarche and menopause are associated with cardiovascular disease (CVD), diabetes, and osteoporosis in Caucasian women, but associations remain unexplored in Chinese women.
- Is leg length a biomarker of childhood conditions in older Chinese women? The Guangzhou Biobank Cohort StudyC M Schooling
Department of Community Medicine, School of Public Health, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
J Epidemiol Community Health 62:160-6. 2008..It was hypothesised that in transitioning populations better childhood conditions may bring forward puberty and thus decrease leg length, counteracting the overall positive effect of a favourable childhood environment on leg growth...
- From menarche to menopause: exploring the underlying biology of depression in women experiencing hormonal changesDarlene Deecher
Wyeth Research, 500 Arcola Rd, RN3164, Collegeville, PA 19426, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 33:3-17. 2008..A testable hypothesis will be proposed to advance our understanding of hormonal effects on mood...
- Relation of early menarche to depression, eating disorders, substance abuse, and comorbid psychopathology among adolescent girlsE Stice
Department of Psychology, University of Texas at Austin, 78712, USA
Dev Psychol 37:608-19. 2001This prospective study tested whether early menarche partially accounts for the increases in depression, eating pathology, substance abuse, and comorbid psychopathology that occur among adolescent girls, with structured interview data ..
- Age at menarche in a Korean population: secular trends and influencing factorsGeum Joon Cho
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Korea University Anam Hospital, Korea University College of Medicine, 126 1, 5 Ga Anam Dong, Seongbuk gu, 136 705, Seoul, South Korea
Eur J Pediatr 169:89-94. 2010This study was designed to identify the secular trend in the age at menarche and to investigate the possible factors that influence the age at menarche using representative Korean data from the 2005 Korean National Health and Nutrition ..
- Age at menarche and its association with the metabolic syndrome and its components: results from the KORA F4 studyDoris Stöckl
Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, Institute of Epidemiology II, German Research Center for Environmental Health, Neuherberg, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e26076. 2011..The aim of this study was to examine the association between age at menarche and the metabolic syndrome (IDF and NCEP ATP III classification) and its components.
- Early and late weight gain and the timing of pubertyDavid B Dunger
Department of Paediatrics, University of Cambridge, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Box 116, Cambridge CB2 2QQ, UK
Mol Cell Endocrinol 254:140-5. 2006..Trans-generational recurrence of low birth weight, early catch-up weight gain, earlier menarche, and shorter adult stature have been observed in women, and could contribute to the strong heritability in age at ..
- Trends in pubertal development in EuropeS M de Muinich Keizer
Erasmus University Medical Centre Sophia Children s Hospital, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Hum Reprod Update 7:287-91. 2001..Environmental factors seem to be the most important. Recently, attention has been given to substances with oestrogen-like actions that are present in nutrients. The possible role of these substances in growth and maturation is discussed...
- Public health implications of altered puberty timingMari S Golub
Department of Environmental Toxicology, University of California, Davis, California, USA
Pediatrics 121:S218-30. 2008..For example, an early age of menarche is a risk factor for breast cancer...
- Age at menarche is associated with prediabetes and diabetes in women (aged 32-81 years) from the general population: the KORA F4 StudyD Stockl
Institute of Epidemiology II, Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, German Research Center for Environmental Health, Ingolstadter Landstr 1, D 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
Diabetologia 55:681-8. 2012The aim of this study was to examine the association between age at menarche and prediabetes as well as diabetes, considering confounding factors and the possible mediating role of adult obesity.
- Reproductive history and risk of colorectal cancer in postmenopausal womenAlice Zervoudakis
Department of Oncology, Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 103:826-34. 2011..A surrogate measure of lifetime estrogen exposure is reproductive history. We investigated the relationship between reproductive factors and the risk of colorectal cancer...
- Genome-wide association studies identify loci associated with age at menarche and age at natural menopauseChunyan He
Program in Molecular and Genetic Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Genet 41:724-8. 2009Age at menarche and age at natural menopause are associated with causes of substantial morbidity and mortality such as breast cancer and cardiovascular disease...
- Secular trends in growthT J Cole
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Institute of Child Health, London, UK
Proc Nutr Soc 59:317-24. 2000..The timing of menarche is also likely to be determined by some growth factor operating near the time of birth, which also affects later ..
- Association of prepubertal body composition in healthy girls and boys with the timing of early and late pubertal markersAnette E Buyken
Research Institute of Child Nutrition, affiliated with the Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelms Universität, Bonn, Dortmund, Germany
Am J Clin Nutr 89:221-30. 2009..It is controversial whether prepubertal body composition is implicated in the timing of puberty onset...
- Recent decline in age at menarche: the Fels Longitudinal StudyEllen W Demerath
Lifespan Health Research Center, Department of Community Health, Wright State University School of Medicine, Dayton, Ohio 45435, USA
Am J Hum Biol 16:453-7. 2004A number of recent reports suggest that the average age at menarche of US girls has declined over the past 20 years...
- Heritability of age at menarche in girls from the Fels Longitudinal StudyBradford Towne
Lifespan Health Research Center, Wright State University School of Medicine, Dayton, Ohio 45420, USA
Am J Phys Anthropol 128:210-9. 2005b>Menarche is the hallmark maturational event of female childhood...
- Age at menarche, total mortality and mortality from ischaemic heart disease and stroke: the Adventist Health Study, 1976-88B K Jacobsen
Institute of Community Medicine, University of Tromsø, Tromsø, N 9037 Tromsø, Norway
Int J Epidemiol 38:245-52. 2009Little is known about the relationship between age at menarche and total mortality and mortality from ischaemic heart disease and stroke.
- Age at menarche, schooling, and sexual debut in northern MalawiJudith R Glynn
Faculty of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 5:e15334. 2010Age at sexual debut is a key behavioural indicator used in HIV behavioural surveillance. Early age at menarche may precipitate early sex through perceived readiness for sex, or through school drop-out, but this is rarely studied...
- African-American/white differences in the age of menarche: accounting for the differencePatricia B Reagan
Department of Economics, Ohio State University, USA
Soc Sci Med 75:1263-70. 2012..In adolescence, African-American girls experience earlier menarche. Understanding the origins of these health disparities is a national priority...
- Metformin therapy during puberty delays menarche, prolongs pubertal growth, and augments adult height: a randomized study in low-birth-weight girls with early-normal onset of pubertyLourdes Ibanez
Endocrinology Unit, Hospital Sant Joan de Deu, University of Barcelona, Passeig de Sant Joan de Déu, 2, 08950 Esplugues, Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:2068-73. 2006Low-birth-weight (LBW) girls who enter puberty earlier (around 8-9 yr) tend to have earlier menarche, earlier growth arrest, and a shorter adult stature. At present, there is no therapy for most of these girls...
- Is there a further acceleration in the age at onset of menarche? A cross-sectional study in 1840 school children focusing on age and bodyweight at the onset of menarcheA M Bau
Institute for Experimental Pediatric Endocrinology, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Endocrinol 160:107-13. 2009More than 30 years ago Frisch and Revelle proposed a body weight threshold for the onset of menarche. Based on this hypothesis, a further acceleration of age at menarche can be expected in times of childhood obesity.
- Age at menarche and risk of ovarian cancer: a meta-analysis of epidemiological studiesTing Ting Gong
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Shengjing Hospital, China Medical University, Shenyang, Liaoning, People s Republic of China
Int J Cancer 132:2894-900. 2013..More large studies are warranted to stratify these results by different cancer grading and histotype of ovarian cancer...
- Seveso Women's Health Study: a study of the effects of 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin on reproductive healthB Eskenazi
School of Public Health, University of California at Berkeley, 94720 7360, USA
Chemosphere 40:1247-53. 2000..of TCDD and the following endpoints: (1) endometriosis; (2) menstrual cycle characteristics; (3) age at menarche; (4) birth outcomes of pregnancies conceived after 1976; (5) time to conception and clinical infertility; and (6) ..
- Secular trends in age at menarche and time to establish regular menstrual cycling in Japanese women born between 1930 and 1985Michie Hosokawa
Faculty of Health Care, Takasaki University of Health and Welfare, Takasaki City, Gunma Prefecture, Japan
BMC Womens Health 12:19. 2012Early life-stage exposure to estrogen increases the risk of breast cancer. The objective of this study was to investigate the age at menarche and time to onset of regular menstrual cycles for Japanese women born between 1930 and 1985.
- Familial concordance for age at menarche: analyses from the Breakthrough Generations StudyDanielle H Morris
Section of Epidemiology, Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, UK
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 25:306-11. 2011Age at menarche is correlated within families, but estimates of the heritability of menarcheal age have a wide range (0.45-0.95)...
- Family socio-economic background modified secular trends in age at menarche: evidence from the Pró-Saúde Study (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)M Junqueira Do Lago
Department of Paediatrics, Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Ann Hum Biol 30:347-52. 2003Since age at menarche has been associated with socio-economic status, its downward secular trend might vary according to the different socio-economic status levels of the family in which women lived during their childhood.
- Association of adiposity genetic variants with menarche timing in 92,105 women of European descentLindsay Fernández-Rhodes
Department of Epidemiology, Gillings School of Global Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 137 East Franklin Street, Suite 306, Campus Box 8050, Chapel Hill, NC 27514 8050, USA
Am J Epidemiol 178:451-60. 2013..Recent genome-wide association studies of age at menarche identified several obesity-related variants...
- Early-life soy exposure and age at menarcheMargaret A Adgent
Department of Epidemiology, Gillings School of Global Public Health, UNC Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 26:163-75. 2012This study examines the timing of menarche in relation to infant-feeding methods, specifically addressing the potential effects of soy isoflavone exposure through soy-based infant feeding...
- Secular trends in age at menarche in women in the UK born 1908-93: results from the Breakthrough Generations StudyDanielle H Morris
Section of Epidemiology, Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 25:394-400. 2011..It then stabilised, but limited data are available for recent cohorts. Menarche data were collected retrospectively by questionnaire in 2003-10 from 94,170 women who were participating in the ..
- Milk, rather than other foods, is associated with vertebral bone mass and circulating IGF-1 in female adolescentsL Esterle
INSERM U561, Hospital Saint Vincent de Paul, Paris, France
Osteoporos Int 20:567-75. 2009..Milk intake is not influenced by genetic variants of the lactase gene and is positively associated with serum IGF-1 and with lumbar vertebrae mineral content and density...
- Growth patterns and the risk of breast cancer in womenMartin Ahlgren
Department of Epidemiology Research, Danish Epidemiology Science Center, Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen, Denmark
N Engl J Med 351:1619-26. 2004..Adult height and body-mass index influence the risk of breast cancer in women. Whether these associations reflect growth patterns of the fetus or growth during childhood and adolescence is unknown...
- The role of BMI across the life course in the relationship between age at menarche and diabetes, in a British Birth CohortM B Pierce
MRC Unit for Lifelong Health and Ageing, London, UK
Diabet Med 29:600-3. 2012Previous research showing an inverse association between age of menarche and adult diabetes relied on recalled age at menarche and did not adjust for BMI across the life course...
- Smoking and alcohol use during pregnancy and age of menarche in daughtersAnshu Shrestha
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
Hum Reprod 26:259-65. 2011We assessed whether exposure to prenatal smoking or alcohol accelerates age of menarche (AOM) in offspring.
- Age at menarche and pelvic girdle syndrome in pregnancy: a population study of 74 973 womenE K Bjelland
Division of Mental Health, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Oslo, Norway
BJOG 118:1646-52. 2011To study the association of age at menarche with presence of pelvic girdle syndrome in pregnancy.
- Age at menarche and cardiovascular disease mortality in Singaporean Chinese women: the Singapore Chinese Health StudyNoel T Mueller
Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, University of Minnesota School of Public Health, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
Ann Epidemiol 22:717-22. 2012To examine whether age at menarche was inversely associated with cardiovascular disease (CVD) mortality in Singaporean Chinese women.
- Birth size in relation to age at menarche and adolescent body size: implications for breast cancer riskPal R Romundstad
Department of Community Medicine and General Practice, Faculty of Medicine, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
Int J Cancer 105:400-3. 2003Early age at menarche and tallness are associated with increased risk for breast cancer, and emerging evidence suggests that body size at birth also is positively associated with breast cancer risk in adulthood...
- Exposure to polyfluoroalkyl chemicals during pregnancy is not associated with offspring age at menarche in a contemporary British cohortKrista Yorita Christensen
Epidemiology Department, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Environ Int 37:129-35. 2011..We used data from the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children (ALSPAC) in the United Kingdom to conduct a nested case-control study examining the association between age at menarche, and exposure to PFCs during pregnancy.
- Age at menarche and metabolic markers for type 2 diabetes in premenopausal women: the BioCycle StudyLiwei Chen
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Louisiana State University Health Science Center, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:E1007-12. 2011Early age at menarche has been linked to an elevated risk of type 2 diabetes. However, the underlying mechanism is unclear.
- Age of menarche in females with autism spectrum conditionsRebecca C Knickmeyer
Dev Med Child Neurol 48:1007-8. 2006
- Thelarche, pubarche, and menarche attainment in children with normal and elevated body mass indexRobert L Rosenfield
Department of aPediatrics, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Pediatrics 123:84-8. 2009..OBJECTIVE. We compared attainment of stage 2 breasts, stage 3 (sexual) pubic hair, and menarche in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey sample of children with normal BMI with those with ..
- Factors associated with early menarche: results from the French Health Behaviour in School-aged Children (HBSC) studyAdrien Gaudineau
UMR Inserm U558 University Paul Sabatier, Toulouse, France
BMC Public Health 10:175. 2010..Early pubertal development could be associated with higher risks of poor health. Our objective was to examine risk behaviours, physical and psychological determinants associated with early menarche (<11 years).
- Age at menarche is associated with divergent alcohol use patterns in early adolescence and early adulthoodMeghan A Richards
Health, Hormones, and Behaviour Laboratory, Department of Psychology, Lakehead University, 955 Oliver Road, Thunder Bay, Ontario P7B 5E1, Canada
J Adolesc 34:1065-76. 2011A cross-sectional retrospective design was employed to examine the relationship between age at menarche (AAM) and alcohol use patterns from middle childhood (age 7) to early adulthood in 265 University-aged women...
- Replication of loci influencing ages at menarche and menopause in Hispanic women: the Women's Health Initiative SHARe StudyChristina T L Chen
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Hum Mol Genet 21:1419-32. 2012Several genome-wide studies have identified loci associated with reproductive traits, such as ages of menarche and menopause, in women of European ancestry...
- Milk intake and total dairy consumption: associations with early menarche in NHANES 1999-2004Andrea S Wiley
Department of Anthropology, Program in Human Biology, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e14685. 2011Several components of dairy products have been linked to earlier menarche.
- Weight requirements for catch-up growth in girls with eating disorders and onset of weight loss before menarcheIngemar Swenne
Department of Women s and Children s Health, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Int J Eat Disord 38:340-5. 2005The current study investigated catch-up in stature in girls with eating disorders and onset of weight loss and stunting of growth before menarche.
- An investigation of breast cancer risk factors in Cyprus: a case control studyAndreas Hadjisavvas
Department of EM Molecular Pathology, The Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics, Nicosia, Cyprus
BMC Cancer 10:447. 2010..This is the first epidemiological investigation on risk factors of breast cancer among the Cypriot female population...
- Early menarche predicts incidence of asthma in early adulthoodBan Al-Sahab
School of Kinesiology and Health Science, Faculty of Health, York University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Epidemiol 173:64-70. 2011The present study explores the effect of age at menarche on the incidence of asthma during early adulthood...
- The relationship between age of menarche and mental distress in Norwegian adolescent girls and girls from different immigrant groups in Norway: results from an urban city cross-sectional surveyLars Lien
Institute of General Practice and Public Health, University of Oslo, Norway
Soc Sci Med 63:285-95. 2006Lower age of menarche has been associated with increased mental distress among adolescent girls. The association might be mediated via body image, as girls with early menarche tend to have higher weight than those with late onset menarche...
- Reversibility of growth stunting in early onset anorexia nervosa: a prospective studyEleni Lantzouni
Division of Adolescent Medicine, Schneider Children s Hospital, North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New Hyde Park, New York, USA
J Adolesc Health 31:162-5. 2002..To evaluate the growth of premenarchal patients with anorexia nervosa...
- Individual differences in puberty onset in girls: Bayesian estimation of heritabilities and genetic correlationsStéphanie M van den Berg
Department of Biological Psychology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Van der Boechorststraat 1, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Behav Genet 36:261-70. 2006..Tanner data on breast and pubic hair development in girls and data on menarche were obtained from a total of 184 pairs of monozygotic and dizygotic twins...
- Age at menarche, abnormal glucose tolerance and type 2 diabetes mellitus: The Rancho Bernardo StudyN Saquib
University of California, San Diego, Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, Division of Epidemiology, La Jolla, California 92093 0631, USA
Climacteric 8:76-82. 2005We examined the association of age at menarche with risk of abnormal glucose tolerance (AGT) and type 2 diabetes in postmenopausal women.
- Very long-term follow-up of girls with early and late menarcheTherese Johansson
Department of Behavioural, Social and Legal Sciences, Orebro University, Orebro, Sweden
Endocr Dev 8:126-36. 2005..Results revealed that at age 15-16, girls with menarche before age 11 (early) were more norm-breaking, including being delinquents...
- Genetic variants in fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 (FGFR2) contribute to susceptibility of breast cancer in Chinese womenJie Liang
Laboratory of Reproductive Medicine, Cancer Center, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, China
Carcinogenesis 29:2341-6. 2008..083/0.037). These findings indicate that genetic variants in FGFR2 may contribute to breast cancer occurrence in Chinese women, possibly through pathways related to estrogen and/or progesterone...
- Increased headache prevalence in female adolescents and adult women with early menarche. The Head-HUNT StudiesK L Aegidius
Norwegian National Headache Centre, St Olav s University Hospital, Trondheim, Norway
Eur J Neurol 18:321-8. 2011Age at menarche is associated with cardiovascular events and lifestyle factors such as body mass index (BMI), certain women's diseases like breast cancer and endometriosis and with occurrence of certain physical symptoms during puberty...
- Timing of menarche among survivors of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor StudyEric J Chow
Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 50:854-8. 2008The objective of this study was to determine risk factors associated with abnormal timing of menarche among survivors of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL).
- Growth, bone mass, and vitamin D status of Chinese adolescent girls 3 y after withdrawal of milk supplementationKun Zhu
Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Am J Clin Nutr 83:714-21. 2006..Girls who received milk fortified with both calcium and vitamin D also had better vitamin D status than did girls who received nothing or girls who received milk fortified only with calcium...
- Interaction between calcium intake and menarcheal age on bone mass gain: an eight-year follow-up study from prepuberty to postmenarcheThierry Chevalley
Service of Bone Diseases WHO Collaborating Center for Osteoporosis Prevention, Department of Rehabilitation and Geriatrics, University Hospitals, CH 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:44-51. 2005..276 +/- 50 (P > 0.05). The level of Ca intake during prepuberty may influence the timing of menarche, which, in turn, could influence long-term bone mass gain in response to Ca supplementation...
- Genome-wide association analyses identify SPOCK as a key novel gene underlying age at menarcheYao Zhong Liu
School of Medicine, University of Missouri Kansas City, Kansas City, Missouri, United States of America
PLoS Genet 5:e1000420. 2009For females, menarche is a most significant physiological event. Age at menarche (AAM) is a trait with high genetic determination and is associated with major complex diseases in women...
- Deleterious effect of late menarche on distal tibia microstructure in healthy 20-year-old and premenopausal middle-aged womenThierry Chevalley
Division of Bone Diseases, Department of Rehabilitation and Geriatrics, Geneva University Hospitals and Faculty of Medicine, Geneva, Switzerland
J Bone Miner Res 24:144-52. 2009Late menarche is a risk factor for fragility fractures. We hypothesized that pubertal timing-dependent alterations in bone structural components would persist from peak bone mass to menopause, independent of premenopausal bone loss...
- Menopause in type 1 diabetic women: is it premature?J S Dorman
Department of Epidemiology, Graduate School of Public Health, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Diabetes 50:1857-62. 2001Women with type 1 diabetes have a delayed menarche and a greater prevalence of menstrual disorders than women without diabetes. However, little is known about the menopause transition among type 1 diabetic women...
- Association of age at menarche with cardiovascular risk factors, vascular structure, and function in adulthood: the Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns studyMika Kivimaki
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, London, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 87:1876-82. 2008It is unclear whether age at menarche is an independent determinant of future cardiovascular risk.
- Sex chromosome aneuploidies in autoimmune diseaseR Hal Scofield; Fiscal Year: 2013..Women with 47,XXX are phenotypically normal in terms of sex hormones, menarche, pregnancy and menopause...
- Growth and Carcinogenic Potential in the Postnatal Mammary GlandDemetri D Spyropoulos; Fiscal Year: 2010..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Early menarche and breast development are risk factors for breast cancer, which is the second leading cause of cancer-related ..
- Etiology of breast development in the BCERC network: role of socioeconomic statusDEJANA K BRAITHWAITE; Fiscal Year: 2010..concerned with the role of socioeconomic status (SES) and race/ethnicity in the timing of breast development and menarche as an early life marker of breast cancer risk...
- Clinical Risk Prediction Modeling in Rheumatoid ArthritisElizabeth W Karlson; Fiscal Year: 2013..and Genetic Risks for RA in Women, in which we identified reproductive factors including breastfeeding, early menarche, and irregular menses, inflammatory markers including anti-CCP antibodies, and TNFR2 levels and a novel RA risk ..
- Uterine-specific genetic modification and lymphangioleiomyomatosisJOSE M TEIXEIRA; Fiscal Year: 2012..of the disease is unknown but is thought to involve hormonal regulation because it usually presents between menarche and menopause...
- Gene-Environment Interactions in GlaucomaLOUIS ROBERT PASQUALE; Fiscal Year: 2013..we propose a prospective cohort study to assess the relationship between female reproductive attributes (age at menarche, parity and oral contraceptive use) and POAG risk among NHS participants...
- Urinary peptide excretion and onset of pubertyStephen Barnes; Fiscal Year: 2009..the puberty-associated peptides;(2) using the established procedure, to evaluate whether age, time to or since menarche, and race/ethnicity impact these markers;to validate these markers using longitudinally collected specimens on ..
- LEGACY: A cohort of youth in families from the Breast Cancer Family RegistryMary Beth Terry; Fiscal Year: 2013..to 1) study prospectively the association of pubertal development (onset and tempo of breast development), age at menarche, and breast tissue characteristics over time with childhood measures of body size, growth, lifestyle factors (..
- LEGACY: A cohort of youth in families from the Breast Cancer Family RegistryIrene Andrulis; Fiscal Year: 2013..to 1) study prospectively the association of pubertal development (onset and tempo of breast development), age at menarche, and breast tissue characteristics over time with childhood measures of body size, growth, lifestyle factors (..
- Extranuclear estrogen receptor actions on endometrial cancer cell proliferationTwila A Jackson; Fiscal Year: 2012..Endometrial cancer is caused by chronic estrogen stimulation. Rising obesity rates, early menarche, later child birth and extended years of menstuation all contribute to increased lifetime exposure to estrogen, ..
- Prediction Model: Breast Cancer in Women Irradiated for a Pediatric MalignancyChaya Moskowitz; Fiscal Year: 2013..The traditional risk factors include age, age at menarche, age at birth of first live child, number of first-degree relatives with breast cancer, number of previous breast ..
- Mammary Gland Laterality in Normal and Neoplastic DevelopmentDemetri D Spyropoulos; Fiscal Year: 2012..hypothesis, three mouse models of neoplastic development will be used: estrogen treated mice, which model early menarche, a well documented primary risk factor for breast cancer;MMTV-cNeu transgenic mice, a classic and widely used ..
- Efficacy of Optimal Levels of Dietary Dairy on Modulation of Adolescent WeightJoan Lappe; Fiscal Year: 2012..and 14-year old girls who are above the 50th percentile for body mass index (BMI) and are at least 1= years post- menarche to determine if we can prevent excessive BF gain...
- Breast Cancer Risk Factors Among Women Aged 75 and OlderMara A Schonberg; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., early menarche) that may not be important for late-life breast cancer due the time that has passed since these factors ..
- Migraine, Migraine Medication Use, and Risk of Breast CancerChristopher I Li; Fiscal Year: 2010..In women, the risk of migraine changes during menarche, menses, pregnancy, and menopause due to fluctuating estrogen levels...
- Gene Polymorphisms in Relation to Cancer in Black WomenJulie R Palmer; Fiscal Year: 2012..In our final aim, we will use BWHS samples to improve power of the first yet AA GWAS of age at menarche to discover variants associated with this phenotype by genotyping in a sample of 3000 BWHS participants the 1,500 ..
- PEDIGREE: Prenatal Environmental Determinants of InterGenerational RiskMary Beth Terry; Fiscal Year: 2013..in the womb;and 3) examine the role of pregnancy hormone exposures in explaining observed organochlorine associations with breast cancer in mothers and age at menarche, mammographic density and DNA methylation of their daughters.
- Biomarkers and Breast Cancer Risk Prediction in Younger WomenAnne Zeleniuch-Jacquotte; Fiscal Year: 2013..models including one or two biomarkers, in addition to factors included in the Gail model 2 (age, age at menarche, age at first live birth, number of previous breast biopsies and number of first degree relatives with a history ..
- Racial disparities in human endogenous retrovirus and breast cancerLi Tang; Fiscal Year: 2012..exposures that are risk factors for breast cancer (such as age at first full-term pregnancy, parity, early menarche, and late menopause), may interact with HERVs to contribute to breast cancer...
- Sarcoidosis in U.S. Black Women: Genetic and Non-genetic Risk FactorsYvette C Cozier; Fiscal Year: 2012..Markers of endogenous and exogenous estrogen exposure, such as age at menarche and oral contraceptive use, respectively, will be assessed in relation to the risk of sarcoidosis...
- Environmental and Genetic Determinants of PubertyMary S Wolff; Fiscal Year: 2013..Within the next 5 years, their cohort of Black and Latina girls will have virtually all reached menarche and attained their adult height...
- LEGACY: A Pilot Study to Establish a Youth Cohort in the Breast CFREsther M John; Fiscal Year: 2010..and epigenetic factors and their effects on several endpoints related to pubertal development, including age at menarche, breast development, breast tissue characteristics, and sex and growth hormones...
- Prenatal Organochlorine Metabolites, Thyroid Function and DevelopmentPAM R FACTOR LITVAK; Fiscal Year: 2010..with a) adverse development (cognitive function, height, weight, weight for height, and for females, age at menarche) in the offspring at birth, early childhood, middle childhood, and adolescence, b) mild deficiencies in maternal ..
- Breast Cancer and the Environment Research CenterSANDRA HASLAM; Fiscal Year: 2009..We specifically hypothesize that accelerated pubertal development and early onset of menarche increase breast cancer risk by increasing lifetime exposure to progesterone acting in concert with estrogen...
- The CYGNET Study: Enviromental and Genetic Determinants of Maturation of GirlsLawrence H Kushi; Fiscal Year: 2013..we expect that all girls will have begun puberty, most will have experienced peak height velocity and onset of menarche, and a small number will have achieved their adult height...
- Live Smart Live Safe: Healthy Development for Girls and Adolescents with IntellecKHAYA DELAINE CLARK; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., menarche, managing monthly cycles, and bodily changes) and to identify the salient affective issues that impact such ..
- Continued studies of environment impact on pubertyFrank M Biro; Fiscal Year: 2013..Age at menarche is associated with risk of breast cancer, but pubertal growth velocity may be the underlying biologic phenomenon ..
- Impact of Violence on Obesity & Reproductive Axes in YouthRosalind J Wright; Fiscal Year: 2010..stress-induced neuroendocrine disruption may be associated with reproductive health outcomes including early menarche, menstrual irregularity, and chronic functional pelvic/abdominal pain...
- Pathways to overweight and pubertal timing in African-American and White girlsPamela J Salsberry; Fiscal Year: 2012..We will examine how these contextual factors differentially impact the physical health (somatic growth, age of menarche, and self-reported general health status) of African-American and white girls in adolescence...
- In Utero Dioxin Exposure in Seveso, Italy and Health of the Second GenerationBrenda Eskenazi; Fiscal Year: 2013..In this group, we found that TCDD serum levels were related to early menarche, increased menstrual cycle length, and increased risk of metabolic syndrome...
- The genetic architecture of breast cancer risk factors and breast cancerSARA LINDSTROEM; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, many established risk factors for breast cancer including mammographic density, age at menarche, age at natural menopause, height, and body mass index (BMI) are under strong genetic control...
- Brominated Flame Retardants: Multigenerational Endocrine Disruption?Michele Marcus; Fiscal Year: 2013..endpoints among female offspring following evidence that highly exposed girls have an earlier age at menarche and an increased risk of miscarriages...
- The Impact of Nonresident Fatherhood on Adolescent Sexual DevelopmentREBECCA MARIE RYAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, these studies examined only (girls') age at menarche and first intercourse, used relatively small samples of related pairs, and did not investigate mechanisms that ..
- AKT 1 AND MAMMARY CELL SURVIVAL DURING THE ESTRUS CYCLERobert Strange; Fiscal Year: 2004..Reproductive factors associated with increased ovarian hormone exposure, e.g. early menarche and late menopause, increase breast cancer risk...
- A Secular Change in Menstrual Characteristicis of Adult and Midlife Women?Sioban D Harlow; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Secular declines in age at menarche have been well documented and a secular increase in age at menopause has been suggested by some studies...
- Genital Mucosal Immunity in Adolescent WomenRebecca Pellett Madan; Fiscal Year: 2013..in genital mucosal immunity in HIV uninfected females ages 13-21 years who are either within three years of menarche or greater than three years from menarche by comparing endogenous antimicrobial activity in genital secretions ..
- GENETIC SUSCEPTIBILITY TO HORMONAL CARCINOGENESISROLF PERSSON; Fiscal Year: 2000..However, hormone-related factors-like nulliparity, late age at first birth, early menarche, late menopause, long-term use of oral contraceptives or hormone replacement therapy-together with first-degree ..
- Timing of Dietary Exposures and Breast Cancer RiskLeena Hilakivi Clarke; Fiscal Year: 2001..e. menarche onset and growth factor levels in nipple aspirate fluid...
- BREAST CANCER RISK--RESIDENTIAL ENVIRONMENT AND GENETICSJo Freudenheim; Fiscal Year: 2001..The time periods to be examined will be (1 ) the primary residence during the period between menarche and first pregnancy (if any, otherwise menopause) and (2) residence (s) 10 and 20 years ago; 2) To examine ..
- PRENATAL AND CHILDHOOD EXPOSURES AND AGE AT MENARCHEGayle Windham; Fiscal Year: 2001..In this pilot study we propose to examine a measure of sexual development, namely, age at menarche, and its relationship to prenatal exposure to chemical substances including, tobacco smoke, alcohol and caffeine (..
- Risk for New onset of Depression in Perimenopausal WomenDaniel Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our published results have shown that 1) age at menarche and other events in early reproductive life are associated with risk for depression, 2) women with a lifetime ..
- Effects of Pregnancy on Adolescent Growth and HealthPatricia Crawford; Fiscal Year: 2004..of dietary intake and physical activity, and d) scarcity of comprehensive data on subjects' race, SES, age at menarche, reproductive history, alcohol use, smoking, hormonal contraceptive use, and other lifestyle characteristics...
- ADOLESCENT BEHAVIOR: FAMILY AND NON-FAMILY INFLUENCESJOSEPH RODGERS; Fiscal Year: 2000..The current application extends that study into a large framework and considers age at menarche, age at first intercourse, age at marriage, age at first pregnancy, age at first birth, age at subsequent births, ..
- GENES AND CHEMICAL EXPOSURE ASSOCIATED WITH SLE RISKPatricia Fraser; Fiscal Year: 2001..Sex hormones are immunomodulatory. During the interval between menarche and menopause women are exposed to significantly higher estrogen levels when compared to men of similar age...
- Risk Factors for EndometriosisDavid Hunter; Fiscal Year: 2002..proposes a study to assess the following hypotheses: a) Women with menstrual characteristics of younger age at menarche, longer time to menstrual regularity, or shorter menstrual cycle length are at higher risk of endometriosis...
- PREMENOPAUSAL HORMONE LEVELS AND RISK OF BREAST CANCERWalter Willett; Fiscal Year: 2001..cancer (CA 50385) in addition to information on important covariates (such as body mass index, parity, age at menarche, smoking status and dietary intake, among others) for the proposed study...
- ESTROGEN REPLACEMENT AND COMPLICATIONS OF AMENORRHEAMichelle Warren; Fiscal Year: 1992..usually occurs in this setting appears to lead to an increase in fracture rate particularly in women with delayed menarche. This problem is of considerable importance to an exercising female population...
- PATTERNS OF DENTOCRANIOFACIAL GROWTH AND MATURATIONALEXANDER ROCHE; Fiscal Year: 1980..The effectiveness of serial data, of recorded maturity ratings, e.g., skeletal age, menarche, and of mathematical models in craniofacial growth in children with hypopituitarism...
- ALKYL PCDFS--INHIBITION OF MAMMARY CANCERStephen Safe; Fiscal Year: 2001..demonstrated that both mammary and endometrial cancer share a common set of risk factors including: early age at menarche, late age at menopause, obesity, parity and increased exposure to unopposed estrogen...
- Genetic Factors that Regulate the Onset of PubertyMark Palmert; Fiscal Year: 2009..of trios (probands with late pubertal development and their parents), and a cohort of women with timing of menarche within the earliest or latest 10% of the population...
- Genetics of Reproductive Life Period and Health OutcomesJoanne Murabito; Fiscal Year: 2009..Age at menarche and menopausal age affect risk for adverse health outcomes including osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease, and ..
- PERINATAL AND ADOLESCENT FACTORS IN BREAST CANCERSherri Stuver; Fiscal Year: 2002..is an association between birth size and indicators of sexual maturity during adolescence, particularly age at menarche and breast development; to study the association between birth size and adolescent somatic growth; to examine the ..
- HUNK AND PUNC FUNCTION IN MAMMARY EPITHELIAL BIOLOGYLewis Chodosh; Fiscal Year: 2004..of endocrine risk factors for breast cancer that are related to the timing of normal developmental events such as menarche, menopause and age at first full-term pregnancy epitomizes the relationship between development and ..
- Biometrical Modeling of Fertility Using the NLSYJOSEPH RODGERS; Fiscal Year: 2006..the empirical existence of genetic influences on both fertility outcomes and their precursors (including menarche, sexual initiation, fertility expectations, and pregnancy)...
- Puberty & Cancer Initiation: Environment Diet & ObesityRobert Bornschein; Fiscal Year: 2009..S., two major factors being the depression in the age of menarche and the extension in the time before first full-term pregnancy...
- ENERGY EXPENDITURE AND THE INCIDENCE OF OBESITYLinda Bandini; Fiscal Year: 2001..Since enrollment, girls are seen annually until 4 years after menarche when they exit the study...
- The Effect of Delayed Menarche on Peak Bone Mass in RatsVanessa Yingling; Fiscal Year: 2002..have been found to correlate with low bone mass in young women including low estrogen scores and increased age at menarche. Therefore, the effect of delayed estrogen levels during bone development may decrease the peak bone mass in ..
- Prenatal organochlorines, thyroid, and developmentPam Factor Litvak; Fiscal Year: 2006..with a) adverse development (cognitive function, height, weight, weight for height, and for females, age at menarche) in the offspring at birth, early childhood, middle childhood, and adolescence, b) mild deficiencies in maternal ..
- SEXUAL ABUSE OF FEMALESPENELOPE TRICKETT; Fiscal Year: 1999..1) By the 2nd assessment (Time 5), essentially all subjects will have reached menarche and thus the hypotheses concerning the mediating role of puberty in adjustment, the timing of and rate of ..
- Psychosocial Stress and the Risk of Uterine FibroidsANISSA VINES; Fiscal Year: 2007..determine the risk of fibroids associated with stress while controlling for factors such as nulliparity, age at menarche, and increasing age...
- Organocholorides & Sex Steroids in Two Michigan CohortsJanet Osuch; Fiscal Year: 2006..Endocrine-related outcomes (ERO) included reduced age at menarche, and increased adult weight and fecundity...