Genomes and Genes
Summary: Contraction of the UTERINE MUSCLE.
Publications252 found, 100 shown here
- Preterm deliveryMichael M Slattery
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, National University of Ireland Galway, Clinical Science Institute, University College Hospital Galway, Galway, Ireland
Lancet 360:1489-97. 2002..An improved understanding of the physiological pathways that regulate uterine contraction and relaxation in animals and people has, however, helped to define the complex processes that underlie ..
- Use of the electrohysterogram signal for characterization of contractions during pregnancyH Leman
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Compiègne University, France
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 46:1222-9. 1999..These results are encouraging, because they would permit, in a follow-up medical study, to diagnose a possible preterm delivery, as well as the proximity of the delivery...
- Are animal models relevant to key aspects of human parturition?Bryan F Mitchell
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Heritage Medical Research Centre, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 297:R525-45. 2009..We conclude that the application of novel concepts and new models are required to advance translational research in parturition...
- Insights into the uterusSusan Wray
Department of Physiology, University of Liverpool, Crown Street, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK
Exp Physiol 92:621-31. 2007..It is only by gaining a better understanding of uterine physiology and pathophysiology that progress will be made and research findings translated into clinical benefit for women and their families...
- miR-200 family and targets, ZEB1 and ZEB2, modulate uterine quiescence and contractility during pregnancy and laborNora E Renthal
Department of Biochemistry, North Texas March of Dimes Birth Defects Center, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:20828-33. 2010....
- Quantitative analysis of contraction patterns in electrical activity signal of pregnant uterus as an alternative to mechanical approachJanusz Jezewski
Department of Biomedical Informatics, Institute of Medical Technology and Equipment, Zabrze, Poland
Physiol Meas 26:753-67. 2005Monitoring of uterine contraction activity is an important diagnostic tool used during both pregnancy and labour. The strain the pregnant uterus exerts on the maternal abdomen is measured via external tocography...
- The parturition defect in steroid 5alpha-reductase type 1 knockout mice is due to impaired cervical ripeningM S Mahendroo
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235 9032, USA
Mol Endocrinol 13:981-92. 1999....
- Distribution, expression and functional effects of small conductance Ca-activated potassium (SK) channels in rat myometriumKaren Noble
Department of Physiology, University of Liverpool, UK
Cell Calcium 47:47-54. 2010..They contribute more to quiescence that BK channels...
- A review of recent insights into the role of the sarcoplasmic reticulum and Ca entry in uterine smooth muscleKaren Noble
Department of Physiology, School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Liverpool, Crown Street, Liverpool L693BX, UK
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 144:S11-9. 2009....
- Estimation of internal uterine pressure by joint amplitude and frequency analysis of electrohysterographic signalsChiara Rabotti
Department of Electrical Engineering, Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Physiol Meas 29:829-41. 2008Monitoring the uterine contraction provides important prognostic information during pregnancy and parturition. The existing methods employed in clinical practice impose a compromise between reliability and invasiveness...
- The physiological basis of uterine contractility: a short reviewS Wray
The Physiological Laboratory, The University of Liverpool, Crown Street, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK
Exp Physiol 86:239-46. 2001..Much current experimental focus is on pathways controlling and regulating contraction, and we discuss sensitisation mechanisms and question their role in intact uterine preparations. Experimental Physiology (2001) 86.2, 239-246...
- Lipid rafts, the sarcoplasmic reticulum and uterine calcium signalling: an integrated approachKaren Noble
Department of Physiology, University of Liverpool, Crown Street, Liverpool, L69 3BX, UK
J Physiol 570:29-35. 2006....
- Surfactant protein secreted by the maturing mouse fetal lung acts as a hormone that signals the initiation of parturitionJennifer C Condon
Department of Biochemistry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:4978-83. 2004..We have revealed a response pathway that ties augmented surfactant production by the maturing fetal lung to the initiation of labor. We suggest that SP-A secreted by the fetal lung serves as a hormone of parturition...
- Sonographic measurement of cervical length in twin pregnancies in threatened preterm laborI Fuchs
Virchow Clinic Charité, Berlin, Germany
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 23:42-5. 2004..To determine whether sonographic measurement of cervical length in twin pregnancies presenting with threatened preterm labor helps distinguish between true and false labor...
- Increased cholesterol decreases uterine activity: functional effects of cholesterol alteration in pregnant rat myometriumR D Smith
Dept of Physiology, The University of Liverpool, Crown St, Liverpool, L69 3BX, UK
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 288:C982-8. 2005..It may be one of the mechanisms operating to maintain uterine quiescence throughout gestation and may also contribute to difficulties in labor suffered by obese women...
- Effect of inhibiting the sarcoplasmic reticulum on spontaneous and oxytocin-induced contractions of human myometriumS Kupittayanant
The Physiological Laboratory, The University of Liverpool, UK
BJOG 109:289-96. 2002..to evaluate the contribution of calcium induced calcium release or ryanodine gated calcium channels to myometrial force production...
- A validation of electrohysterography for uterine activity monitoring during labourBenoit C Jacod
Department of Obstetrics, University Medical Centre, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 23:17-22. 2010..Validation of electrohysterography (EHG) as a method for uterine activity monitoring during labour by comparing with intra-uterine pressure catheter (IUPC) recordings...
- G protein-coupled estrogen receptor 1-mediated effects in the rat myometriumAndrei A Tica
Department of Pharmacology, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 301:C1262-9. 2011..Taken together, our results indicate that GPER is expressed and functional in rat myometrium. GPER activation produces depolarization, elevates [Ca(2+)](i) and increases contractility in myometrial cells...
- Patterns of electrical propagation in the intact pregnant guinea pig uterusWim J E P Lammers
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, United Arab Emirates University, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 294:R919-28. 2008..2 +/- 0.9 min). In conclusion, high resolution electrical mapping of the intact pregnant uterus reveals fundamental properties in spatial and temporal patterns of spike and burst propagation that determine the contraction of the organ...
- Physiological pathways and molecular mechanisms regulating uterine contractilityHector N Aguilar
Department of Physiology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hum Reprod Update 16:725-44. 2010..Abnormal contractility might underlie common and important disorders such as infertility, implantation failure, dysmenorrhea, endometriosis, spontaneous miscarriage or preterm birth...
- Evidence that corticotropin-releasing hormone modulates myometrial contractility during human pregnancyElisa K Tyson
Department of Endocrinology, Mothers and Babies Research Centre, John Hunter Hospital, New Lambton Heights, Newcastle 2305, Australia
Endocrinology 150:5617-25. 2009..PDE inhibition potentiates CRH and salbutamol-induced relaxation. Up-regulation of PDEs, through chronic cAMP elevation by CRH, could provide a mechanism for down-regulation of agonist-stimulated-cAMP pathways at term...
- Effect of an oxytocin receptor antagonist and rho kinase inhibitor on the [Ca++]i sensitivity of human myometriumNicola A Woodcock
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Warwick, Walsgrave Hospital, Coventry, United Kingdom, UK
Am J Obstet Gynecol 190:222-8. 2004..The purpose of this study was to assess the possible mechanism and effect of oxytocin receptor on the sensitization of the contractile proteins to [Ca(++)](i)...
- Uterine contraction induced by Tanzanian plants used to induce abortionTine Nikolajsen
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, The Danish University of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2 Universitetsparken, 2100 Copenhagen O, Denmark
J Ethnopharmacol 137:921-5. 2011..Women in Tanzania use plants to induce abortion. It is not known whether the plants have an effect...
- Diabetes is associated with impairment of uterine contractility and high Caesarean section rateS Al-Qahtani
Department of Molecular and Cellular Physiology, Institute of Translational Medicine, University of Liverpool, Crown Street, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK
Diabetologia 55:489-98. 2012..We have tested the hypothesis that poor myometrial contractility as a consequence of the disease contributes to this high CS rate...
- Uterotonic plants and their bioactive constituentsChristian W Gruber
Department of Pharmacognosy, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Planta Med 77:207-20. 2011..Finally we will comment on the discovery of novel cyclotide-producing plant species and the possibility for the development of novel plant-derived uterotonic and tocolytic drugs...
- Uterine peristaltic activity during the menstrual cycle: characterization, regulation, function and dysfunctionGeorg Kunz
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology and Reproductive Medicine, Klinikum Darmstadt, Academic Teaching Hospital to the Universities of Frankfurt and Heidelberg Mannheim, Grafenstr 9, 64283 Darmstadt, Germany
Reprod Biomed Online 4:5-9. 2002....
- The contribution of Kv7 channels to pregnant mouse and human myometrial contractilityLaura A McCallum
Maternal and Fetal Research Unit, Division of Reproduction and Endocrinology, King s College London, St Thomas Hospital Campus, London, UK
J Cell Mol Med 15:577-86. 2011..Consequently, activation of the encoded channels represents a novel mechanism for treatment of preterm labour...
- The role of voltage-gated potassium channels in the regulation of mouse uterine contractilityRyan C Smith
epartment of Pharmacology, Creighton University Medical Center, Omaha, USA, NE 68178, USA
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 5:41. 2007....
- Electrophysiological characterization and functional importance of calcium-activated chloride channel in rat uterine myocytesK Jones
Department of Physiology, The University of Liverpool, Liverpool, L69 3BX, UK
Pflugers Arch 448:36-43. 2004....
- Overexpression of SK3 channels dampens uterine contractility to prevent preterm labor in miceStephanie L Pierce
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Biol Reprod 78:1058-63. 2008..Our data indicate that SK3 channels must be downregulated for the gravid uterus to generate labor contractions sufficient for delivery in both term and preterm mice...
- The effects of inhibiting Rho-associated kinase with Y-27632 on force and intracellular calcium in human myometriumS Kupittayanant
Department of Physiology, University of Liverpool, Crown Street, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK
Pflugers Arch 443:112-4. 2001..This suggests that the Rho-A-ROK pathway may not be a potent modulator of force in the human myometrium under physiological conditions...
- Hyperpolarization and slowing of the rate of contraction in human uterus in pregnancy by prostaglandins E2 and f2alpha: involvement of the Na+ pumpH C Parkington
Department of Physiology, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria 3168 and Department of Perinatal Medicine, Royal Women s Hospital, Carlton, Victoria 3053, Australia
J Physiol 514:229-43. 1999..Its persistence at this time ensures complete relaxation between each single robust contraction, preventing spasm of the uterus that would restrict blood flow to the fetus during delivery...
- Poor uterine contractility in obese womenJ Zhang
Department of Physiology, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK
BJOG 114:343-8. 2007..2) The myometrium from obese women has less ability to contract in vitro...
- Myometrial expression of small conductance Ca2+-activated K+ channels depresses phasic uterine contractionAmber Brown
Dept of Physiology, College of Medicine, Univ of South Alabama, 307 University Blvd, MSB 3074, Mobile, AL 36688, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 292:C832-40. 2007..Our findings suggest that SK3 channels play an important role in regulating uterine function by limiting influx through L-type Ca(2+) channels and disrupting the development of concerted phasic contractile events...
- Relationship between gene expression and function of uterotonic systems in the rat during gestation, uterine activation and both term and preterm labourPatrice Arthur
Perinatal Research Centre, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 220 Heritage Medical Research Centre, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2S2
J Physiol 586:6063-76. 2008..This novel combination of functional and genetic expression analyses provides new insight into the physiology of parturition...
- Endocrine and paracrine regulation of birth at term and preterm- Challis JRG
Department of Physiology University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Endocr Rev 21:514-50. 2000....
- Calcium-activated chloride currents prolongs the duration of contractions in pregnant rat myometrial tissueRoger C Young
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont 05405, USA
Reprod Sci 16:734-9. 2009..Taken together, our data suggest that blocking L-type calcium channels reduces impulse directly by reducing peak force, and indirectly by reducing activation of I(Cl(Ca)) , which shortens the duration of the contraction...
- Non-invasive transabdominal uterine electromyography correlates with the strength of intrauterine pressure and is predictive of labor and deliveryH Maul
Division of Reproductive Sciences, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 15:297-301. 2004....
- Anatomical differences in uterine sensitivity to prostaglandin F(2alpha) and serotonin in non-pregnant ratsMartha V Oropeza
Unidad de Investigacion en Farmacologia, Hospital de Especialidades, CMN Siglo XXI, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Apdo Postal 73 032, Mexico 03020, D F, Mexico
Eur J Pharmacol 446:161-6. 2002..Anatomical differences between ovarian and cervical uterine regions modulate the hormonal regulation of uterine sensitivity to serotonin and prostaglandin F(2alpha) in the non-pregnant rat uterus...
- Foetal heart rate power spectrum response to uterine contractionM Romano
Biomedical Engineering Unit Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering Department, University Federico II of Naples, Via Claudio, 21, 80125, Napoli, Italy
Med Biol Eng Comput 44:188-201. 2006..b>Uterine contraction being a strong stimulus for the foetus and its autonomic nervous system, it is worth exploring the FHR ..
- Contractility and calcium signaling of human myometrium are profoundly affected by cholesterol manipulation: implications for labor?- Jie Zhang
University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK
Reprod Sci 14:456-66. 2007..Cholesterol may contribute to uterine quiescence but could cause difficulties in labor in obese/dyslipidemic women, consistent with their increased cesarean delivery rates...
- The effects of wild ginger (Costus speciosus (Koen) Smith) rhizome extract and diosgenin on rat uterine contractionsWanwisa Lijuan
Institute of Science, Suranaree University of Technology, Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand
Reprod Sci 18:516-24. 2011..Wild ginger was able to increase contraction via calcium entry on l-type calcium channels and sarcoplasmic reticulum (SR) calcium release. We suggest that wild ginger rhizome extract may be a useful uterine stimulant...
- Mechanisms of uterine contractility in laying hensS Kupittayanant
School of Physiology, Institute of Science, Suranaree University of Technology, University Avenue, Nakhon Ratchasima 30000, Thailand
Anim Reprod Sci 115:215-24. 2009....
- Uterine contractility and embryo implantationCarlo Bulletti
Department of Reproduction Physiopathology, Rimini General Hospital and University of Bologna, Rimini, Italy
Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 17:265-76. 2005..The aim of this article is to assess the importance of uterine contractility in the implantation of human embryos...
- Expression of cystathionine β-synthase and cystathionine γ-lyase in human pregnant myometrium and their roles in the control of uterine contractilityXing Ji You
Department of Physiology, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
PLoS ONE 6:e23788. 2011..Hydrogen sulfide (H(2)S) has recently been shown to play a key role in the control of smooth muscle tension. The role of endogenous H(2)S produced locally in the control of uterine contractility during labour is unknown...
- Oxytocin inhibiting effect of the aqueous leaf extract of Ficus exasperata (Moraceae) on the isolated rat uterusEnitome E Bafor
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Benin, Benin City 300001, Nigeria
Acta Pol Pharm 68:541-7. 2011..exasperata inhibits oxytocin-induced uterine contractions at the concentration shown in this study. This observation may explain its folkloric use in counteracting preterm contractions and alleviating dysmenorrhoea...
- Corticotropin-releasing hormone effects on human pregnant vs. nonpregnant myometrium explants estimated from a mathematical model of uterine contractionThérèse Marie Mignot
Génétique et Epigénétique des Pathologies Placentaires INSERM U 709, IFR Alfred Jost, Universite Rene Descartes Paris V, Pavillon Baudelocque, 123 Boulevard de Port Royal 75014, Paris, France
J Appl Physiol 99:1157-63. 2005In this paper, we applied a new theoretical model of uterine contraction to a large panel of human pregnant and nonpregnant myometrial strips, treated or not by corticotrophin-releasing hormone (CRH)...
- Differences in muscarinic-receptor agonist-, oxytocin-, and prostaglandin-induced uterine contractionsRalf Dittrich
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Erlangen University Hospital, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
Fertil Steril 92:1694-700. 2009..To investigate the contractile response of the perfused swine uterus to various receptor pathways (oxytocin, prostaglandins, and muscarine)...
- Sonographic assessment of the cervix before, during and after a uterine contraction is effective in predicting the course of laborM Saito
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 22:604-8. 2003To investigate whether the degree of change in cervical length during a uterine contraction is predictive of subsequent progression of labor.
- Characterization of abdominally acquired uterine electrical signals in humans, using a non-linear analytic methodWilliam L Maner
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Reproductive Sciences, University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Route 1062, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
Med Biol Eng Comput 44:117-23. 2006..frequency range and then randomly selecting "bursts" of uterine electrical activity (each associated with a uterine contraction) from every recording...
- Modulation of uterine contractility and peristalsis by oxytocin in estrogen-primed non-pregnant swine uteriAndreas Muller
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Erlangen University Hospital, Universitaetsstr 21 23, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Eur J Med Res 11:157-62. 2006..The biological role of oxytocin increase during sexual stimulation and arousal with a peak during orgasm for the mechanisms of reproduction may be to stimulate directed uterine transport mechanisms in the presence of estrogens...
- Oxytocic effects of the aqueous leaf extract of Costus lucanusianus - family Costaceae on isolated non-pregnant rat uterusOmonkhelini J Owolabi
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Benin, Nigeria
Pak J Pharm Sci 23:207-11. 2010..An effect of 0.63+/-0.06 g force of uterine contraction produced by 12.5 mg of the extract was increased to 1.37+/-0...
- The effects of pomegranate seed extract and beta-sitosterol on rat uterine contractionsWilawan Promprom
Institute of Science, Suranaree University of Technology, Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand
Reprod Sci 17:288-96. 2010..We suggest that pomegranate extract and beta-sitosterol may be a useful uterine stimulant...
- Frequency of uterine contractions and the risk of spontaneous preterm deliveryJay D Iams
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Ohio State University, Columbus 43210 1228, USA
N Engl J Med 346:250-5. 2002..The measurement of the frequency of uterine contractions has not been useful for reducing the rate of preterm delivery in randomized trials. Nonetheless, ambulatory monitoring of contractions continues to be used in clinical practice...
- The effects of bupivacaine, ropivacaine and mepivacaine on the contractility of rat myometriumG Arici
Akdeniz University Faculty of Medicine, Departments of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Antalya, Turkey
Int J Obstet Anesth 13:95-8. 2004..Bupivacaine, ropivacaine and mepivacaine were found to have no effect on frequency of uterine contractions. These results demonstrate that bupivacaine and ropivacaine may inhibit myometrium contractility...
- Calcium homeostatic pathways change with gestation in human myometriumR M Tribe
The London Myometrial Group, Fetal Health Research Group, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Guy s, King s and St Thomas School of Medicine, St Thomas Hospital, London SE1 7EH, United Kingdom
Biol Reprod 63:748-55. 2000..We conclude that the activity of SERCA isoforms becomes increasingly important in the maintenance of regular contractile activity during labor and may compensate for the functional loss of other calcium control pathways at term...
- Evaluation of tocolytic activity of ethanol extract of the stem bark of Ficus capensis Thunb. (Moraceae)Omonkhelin J Owolabi
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Benin, Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria
Acta Pol Pharm 66:293-6. 2009....
- Steroid hormone control of myometrial contractility and parturitionSam Mesiano
Department of Reproductive Biology, Case Western Reserve University, 11100 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106 5034, United States
Semin Cell Dev Biol 18:321-31. 2007..This review addresses current understanding of how progesterone and estrogens affect the contractility of the pregnancy myometrium and how their actions are coordinated and controlled as part of the parturition cascade...
- Myometrial response to neurotropic and musculotropic spasmolytic drugs in an extracorporeal perfusion model of swine uteriJ Kunzel
Department of Gynaecology, Erlangen University Hospital, Erlangen, Germany
Reprod Biomed Online 23:132-40. 2011..Denaverine and pethidine in particular may in the future be able to play an important role in improving the pregnancy rate after IVF...
- Expression of ATP-sensitive potassium channels in human pregnant myometriumChen Xu
Department of Physiology, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai 200433, China
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 9:35. 2011..The objectives of this study were to investigate the protein expression of KATP channel in human myometrium and determine the levels of KATP channel in lower and upper segmental myometrium before and after onset of labour...
- Relaxation of myometrium by calcitonin gene-related peptide is independent of nitric oxide synthase activity in mouse uterusM Naghashpour
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33101, USA
Biol Reprod 63:1421-7. 2000..No correlation between NOS expression and inhibitory activity of CGRP was evident. The results suggest that the inhibitory action of CGRP in the mouse uterus is independent of the activity of these NOS isoforms...
- A role of stretch-activated potassium currents in the regulation of uterine smooth muscle contractionIain L O Buxton
Myometrial Research Laboratory, University of Nevada School of Medicine, Reno, Nevada 89557 0573, USA
Acta Pharmacol Sin 32:758-64. 2011....
- The effect of fennel essential oil on uterine contraction as a model for dysmenorrhea, pharmacology and toxicology studyS N Ostad
Department of Toxicology and Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Tehran Medical Sciences, PO Box 14155 6451, Tehran, Iran
J Ethnopharmacol 76:299-304. 2001..In this article, effects of FEO on the uterine contraction and estimation of LD(50) in rat were described...
- Poor spontaneous and oxytocin-stimulated contractility in human myometrium from postdates pregnanciesSarah Arrowsmith
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Institute of Translational Medicine, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 7:e36787. 2012..We show that postdates pregnancy is associated with poor myometrial activity and suggest that this may contribute to increased myometrial quiescence and hence, prolonged gestation...
- In vitro myometrial contractility reflects indication for caesarean sectionS Quenby
Clinical Sciences Research Institute, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK
BJOG 118:1499-506. 2011..To assess the extent to which in vitro measurements of myometrial contractility reflect the clinical indication for caesarean section...
- Uterine contractility in response to different prostaglandins: results from extracorporeally perfused non-pregnant swine uteriAndreas Mueller
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Erlangen University Hospital, Erlangen, Germany
Hum Reprod 21:2000-5. 2006..The goal of this study was to assess dynamic changes in uterine contractility and peristalsis in response to PGs in comparison with the effects of oxytocin administration...
- Expression of Gsalpha, connexin-43, connexin-26, and EP1, 3, and 4 receptors in myometrium of prelabor singleton versus multiple gestations and the effects of mechanical stretch and steroids on GsalphaFiona Lyall
Institute of Medical Genetics, Yorkhill, Glasgow, United Kingdom
J Soc Gynecol Investig 9:299-307. 2002....
- Home uterine activity monitoring: an evidence review of its utility in multiple gestationsJames P Reichmann
J Reprod Med 54:559-62. 2009..To examine the medical evidence regarding the application of home uterine activity monitoring for multiple gestations...
- Possible role of the protein kinase C/CPI-17 pathway in the augmented contraction of human myometrium after gestationHiroshi Ozaki
Department of Veterinary Pharmacology, Graduate School of Agriculture and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Bunkyo ku, Yayoi 1 1 1, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
Br J Pharmacol 140:1303-12. 2003..6. These results suggest that the PKC-mediated contractile mechanism is augmented in human myometrium after gestation, and that this augmentation may be attributable to the increased activity of the beta PKC isoform and CPI-17...
- Uterine activity monitoring during laborPetra C A M Bakker
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Perinat Med 35:468-77. 2007..The need for correct assessment and interpretation of the uterine contraction curve to improve fetal outcome will be emphasized.
- Frequency of uterine contractions in asymptomatic pregnant women with or without a short cervix on transvaginal ultrasound scanVincenzo Berghella
Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 191:1253-6. 2004....
- Ca2+ entry, efflux and release in smooth muscleA Matthew
Department of Physiology, The University of Liverpool, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK
Biol Res 37:617-24. 2004..This phosphorylates myosin and force results. Without Ca2+ entry uterine contraction fails...
- Uterine contractility evaluated on cine magnetic resonance imagingKaori Togashi
Department of Diagnostic Imaging and Nuclear Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, 54 Kawahara cho Shogoin, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1101:62-71. 2007....
- Uterine peristalsis shown on cine MR imaging using ultrafast sequenceAsako Nakai
Department of Nuclear Medicine and Diagnostic Imaging, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
J Magn Reson Imaging 18:726-33. 2003..To demonstrate and evaluate uterine peristalsis on cine magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) using ultrafast imaging...
- Antepartum uterine contraction patterns in twin pregnancies with and without preterm labor and delivering before or after 36 weeksAna Rachel Hernández
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Miami, Miami, FL 33101, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 198:e28-9. 2008The purpose of this study was to identify differences in antepartum uterine contraction frequency (UCF) in twin pregnancies with and without preterm labor (PTL).
- Investigation of uterine peristalsis diurnal variationAki Kido
Department of Diagnostic Imaging and Nuclear Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Magn Reson Imaging 24:1149-55. 2006..However, nothing is known as regarding diurnal variations. This study was designed to evaluate for the presence of a diurnal variation in uterine peristalsis...
- Preterm labour. Myometrial function in prematurityAndrew M Blanks
Clinical Sciences Research Institute, University of Warwick, University Hospitals of Coventry and Warwickshire, Clifford Bridge Road, Coventry CV2 2DX, UK
Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 21:807-19. 2007..Lastly, we consider the actions of the commonly accepted uterine agonists oxytocin, prostaglandin F(2alpha), and prostaglandin E(2), and the tocolytic ritodrine...
- The role of cyclic-ADP-ribose-signaling pathway in oxytocin-induced Ca2+ transients in human myometrium cellsHosana Barata
Signal Transduction Laboratory, Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Endocrinology 145:881-9. 2004Human myometrial contraction plays a fundamental role in labor. Dysfunction of uterine contraction is an important cause of labor progression failure...
- Uterine contraction frequency during treatment of pyelonephritis in pregnancy and subsequent risk of preterm birthLynnae K Millar
Kapiolani Medical Center for Women and Children, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1319 Punahou Street, Room 540 Honolulu, Hawaii 96826
J Perinat Med 31:41-6. 2003To assess ceftriaxones effect on uterine contraction frequency and determine risk factors for subsequent preterm birth in women with pyelonephritis.
- In vitro effects of endothelin-1 on the contractility of myometrium obtained from pre- and postmenopausal womenE Domali
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Thessalia, 22 Papakiriazi Street, 41222 Larissa, Greece
J Endocrinol 168:153-62. 2001..It is suggested that KCl and ET1 affect uterine contractility through different mechanisms and that ovarian steroids may play a regulatory role in human uterine responsiveness to ET1...
- Uterine contraction pattern as a predictor of the mode of deliveryLawrence W Oppenheimer
Division of Perinatology, Ottawa General Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Perinatol 22:149-53. 2002..To determine whether analysis of the frequency or regularity of uterine contractions can distinguish between women delivering vaginally and women requiring Cesarean section for dystocia...
- Receptor-coupled contractility of uterine smooth muscle: from membrane to myofilamentsY H Lee
Department of Physiology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
Exp Physiol 86:283-8. 2001A comprehensive understanding of the mechanisms by which agonists control uterine contraction is essential for the successful clinical management of parturition and for the timely treatment of situations involving inappropriate uterine ..
- Excessive uterine contractions: effect on the incidence of preterm delivery in twin gestationJohn C Morrison
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson 39216, USA
J Reprod Med 50:923-7. 2005..To evaluate the effect of uterine contractions on the incidence of preterm delivery within 7 and 14 days in twin pregnancies...
- Role of estrogen and progesterone in the regulation of uterine peristalsis: results from perfused non-pregnant swine uteriA Mueller
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Hospital Erlangen, Erlangen, Germany
Hum Reprod 21:1863-8. 2006..Estrogen and progesterone fluctuate characteristically during the menstrual cycle. It has been suggested that both hormones influence uterine peristalsis in characteristic ways...
- Simultaneous measurements of changes in sarcoplasmic reticulum and cytosolicA V Shmigol
Department of Physiology, University of Liverpool, Crown Street, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK
J Physiol 531:707-13. 2001..Spontaneous activity was inhibited when [Ca2+]L was increased. 5. These data show that it is possible to simultaneously measure SR and cytosolic [Ca2+], and to investigate their response to agonist application and spontaneous activity...
- Gestational changes in uterine L-type calcium channel function and expression in guinea pigP L Collins
Departments of Obstetrics Gynecology, Pediatrics, Biochemistry, and the Rammelcamp Center for Research, MetroHealth Campus, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44109, USA
Biol Reprod 63:1262-70. 2000..The up-regulation of function, alpha(1c) subunit mRNA expression, and isradipine binding at term gestation are consistent with a role for this ion channel in parturition...
- Dysfunctional labor and myometrial lactic acidosisSiobhan Quenby
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
Obstet Gynecol 103:718-23. 2004..Following in vitro studies that showed acidification could depress uterine contraction, we hypothesized that it could contribute to dysfunctional labors.
- RhoA/Rho-kinase cascade is involved in oxytocin-induced rat uterine contractionMasahiro Tahara
Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Endocrinology 143:920-9. 2002..We examined the potential role of this pathway in oxytocin-induced uterine contraction. The specific Rho-kinase inhibitor Y-27632 inhibited oxytocin-induced rat uterine contraction on d 21 of ..
- Oxytocin and lysophosphatidic acid induce stress fiber formation in human myometrial cells via a pathway involving Rho-kinaseW Gogarten
Department of Anesthesiology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Biol Reprod 65:401-6. 2001..Rho-kinase appears to be a key signaling factor in this pathway...
- Proposed biological linkages between obesity, stress, and inefficient uterine contractility during labor in humansNancy K Lowe
Division of Women, Children, and Family Health, University of Colorado Denver, 13120 E 19th Avenue, Mail Stop 288 18, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Med Hypotheses 76:755-60. 2011....
- Corticotropin-releasing hormone acts on CRH-R1 to inhibit the spontaneous contractility of non-labouring human myometrium at termLan Mei Zhang
Department of Gynecology and Obstetric, Changhai Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai 200433, PR China
Life Sci 83:620-4. 2008..The aims of the present study were to explore effects of CRH on contractility of human term myometrium and compare these effects in labouring and non-labouring myometrial strips...
- RHO protein regulation of contraction in the human uterusJ Lartey
Medical School, Institute of Cellular Medicine, University of Newcastle, 3rd Floor, William Leech Building, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne NE24HH, UK
Reproduction 138:407-24. 2009....
- Changes of the uterine proteoglycan distribution at term pregnancy and during labourAnn M Hjelm
Department of Woman and Child Health Division for Obstetrics and Gynecology, Karolinska Institute Karolinska Hospital, P O Box 140, S 171 76, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 100:146-51. 2002..To characterise uterine proteoglycans and changes therein during pregnancy and labour...
- Myometrial desensitization after ritodrine infusionS N Caritis
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Magee Womens Hospital, Pennsylvania 15123
Am J Physiol 253:E410-7. 1987..005). The model thus demonstrates that use of the beta-adrenergic agonist ritodrine in a clinically relevant manner results in tachyphylaxis of its effects on both physiological parameters and the receptor cascade system...
- Role of protein kinase Cbeta in rhythmic contractions of human pregnant myometriumKatsuhiko Yasuda
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Kansai Medical University, 10 15 Fumizono cho, Moriguchi, Osaka 570 8507, Japan
Reproduction 133:797-806. 2007..These findings suggest that the increased amplitude of human myometrial contractions during pregnancy is related to the increased level of PKCbeta. A PKCbeta inhibitor may reduce preterm uterine contractions and prevent preterm delivery...
- Gestational change of K+ channel opener effect is correlated with the expression of uterine KATP channel subunitsKenjiro Sawada
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 122:49-56. 2005..We analyzed the gestational changes of pharmacological activity and molecular levels of KATP channels in rat myometrium...
- Effects of L-type Ca(2+)-channel blockade, K(+)(ATP)-channel opening and nitric oxide on human uterine contractility in relation to gestational age and labourM Longo
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
Mol Hum Reprod 9:159-64. 2003..Effects of nitric oxide and Mg(2+) are not affected by gestational age or labour...
- Reduced expression of CRH receptor type 1 in upper segment human myometrium during labourBinhai Cong
Department of Physiology, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, PR China
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 7:43. 2009..We hypothesized that the expression of CRH receptors in myometrium might be changed during pregnancy and labour...
- Cloning and characterization of a calcium-activated chloride channel in rat uterusJunfang Song
Institute of Genetics and Developmental Biology and State Key Laboratory of Brain and Cognitive Science, Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
Biol Reprod 80:788-94. 2009..The identification and characterization of rat Clca4 help decipher the contribution of Ca(2+)-activated Cl(-) conductance in myometrial contractility...
- Stimulation of contractions in human myometrium by serotonin is unmasked by smooth muscle relaxantsYolande Cordeaux
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Cambridge, The Rosie Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Reprod Sci 15:727-34. 2008..The aim of this study was to investigate the ability of serotonin to increase contractions in human myometrium...
- Effect of melatonin on estrogen and progesterone receptors in relation to uterine contraction in ratsAdel R A Abd-Allah
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Al Azhar University, Cairo, Egypt
Pharmacol Res 47:349-54. 2003..Control animals received the vehicle. The uterus was dissected out and uterine contraction in one horne was recorded in vitro for each animal as a response to oxytocin (0...
- Hamster: a unique model for studying implantationBIBHASH CHANDRA PARIA; Fiscal Year: 2013..and in situ hybridization, immunohistochemistry, in vivo adenoviral vector-driven gene inhibition, in vitro uterine contraction studies, and others to accomplish our goals...
- Caspase-3 Maintains Uterine Quiescence in a PR and NF-Kappa B Dependent MannerJennifer C Condon; Fiscal Year: 2013..NF-kB inhibits uterine PR action leading to a loss of P4 maintained uterine quiescence and the onset of uterine contraction. In this proposal we test the hypothesis that NF-:B activation and a withdrawal of PR action play a ..
- Molecular Mechanism of Allosteric Modulation of the Oxytocin Receptor by SterolsVADIM GENNADYEVICH CHEREZOV; Fiscal Year: 2013..a long time, the oxytocin system was linked with supporting two critical reproductive functions in mammals: uterine contraction during labor and milk ejection during lactation...
- Role of GRK6-Mediated Oxytocin Receptor Desensitization in LaborChad A Grotegut; Fiscal Year: 2013..K08 proposes to utilize an innovative technique that enables the monitoring of strength and frequency of uterine contraction, and duration of labor in murine models lacking GRK6, an essential mediator of oxytocin receptor ..
- REGULATION OF UTERINE SMOOTH MUSCLE EXCITABILITYSarah K England; Fiscal Year: 2010..is supported by our preliminary data showing that maxi-K knockout mice exhibit an increased frequency of uterine contraction. In spite of the strong evidence in support of the notion that the maxi-K channel modulates uterine ..
- Discerning Pathological and Braxton Hicks Contractions in Mid-Trimester GestationAbimbola J Aina-Mumuney; Fiscal Year: 2012..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: This project will advance uterine contraction monitoring in pregnant women to increase the effectiveness of antenatal surveillance...
- ION CHANNELS OF UTERINE MUSCLE DURING PREGNANCYNicholas Sperelakis; Fiscal Year: 1992..The resulting increase in cAMP within the myometrial cell is believed to mediate the inhibition of uterine contraction, by decreasing the availability of free Ca2+...
- Spike After-Potentials of Oxytocin Cells in LactationRyoichi Teruyama; Fiscal Year: 2005..1984) and results in a bolus release of OT into the blood stream, necessary for uterine contraction or contraction of myoepithelial cells in the mammary glands...
- ROLE OF ADENYL PURINES IN MYOMETRIAL FUNCTIONIAIN BUXTON; Fiscal Year: 1993..and ATP from one or more sources stimulate purinergic receptors in myometrial smooth muscle leading to uterine contraction. We propose that adenyl purines participate in, or initiate labor and as such, may provide a focal point ..
- FETAL RESPONSIVITY DURING LABOR & BEHAVIORAL OUTCOMEEugene Emory; Fiscal Year: 1993..The studies will address 1) statistical/parametric properties of FHR patterns and uterine contraction activity, 2) short-term (1 year) behavioral and temperamental correlates, 3) long-term (13-15 years) ..
- RELIABLE NON-INVASIVE UTERINE ACTIVITY MONITORPAGE READ; Fiscal Year: 1991The opportunity exists for greatly improving the state of the art of external uterine contraction monitoring through the development of an innovative concept for a new contraction sensor (tocotonometer)...
- REGULATION OF MYOMETRIAL CYCLASE ISOTYPE EXPRESSIONKAREN LINDEMAN; Fiscal Year: 2000..The most important pathways producing uterine contraction and relaxation are OT and bAR-mediated pathways...
- Endocannabinoids and Reproductive PainHeather Bradshaw; Fiscal Year: 2005..Specific aim 2 is designed to measure the effect of AEA, 2-AG, and NAGly on uterine contraction rates and amplitudes...
- FACTORS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONTROL OF HUMAN LABORROGER YOUNG; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Mechanisms of myometrial healing and regenerationCatalin Buhimschi; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- PI/PLC FUNCTION IN PREGNANT RAT MYOMETRIUMMark Phillippe; Fiscal Year: 2002..s. ..
- PREGNANCY EFFECT ON VASCULAR SMOOTH MUSCLE/ENDOTHELIUMCarl Weiner; Fiscal Year: 2005..RT-PCR of mRNA from endothelial and smooth muscle cells obtained by laser capture microdissection will localize the changes. Together, these experiments provide new understanding and avenues to elucidate pregnancy specific diseases. ..
- Thrombin-Stimulated Intrauterine Signaling PathwayMark Phillippe; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies are anticipated to significantly improve our understanding of the mechanisms underlying preterm labor in the presence of intrauterine infection. ..
- Prostease-activated receptor-2 in uterine contractilityYuri Vedernikov; Fiscal Year: 2004..The potential benefits of these studies include a better understanding of the mechanisms modulating uterine contractility, thereby improving our ability to control it clinically. ..
- CHLORHEXIDINE IRRIGATION TO PREVENT INFECTIONDwight Rouse; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- HEART RATE DURING TRANSITION TO EXTRAUTERINE LIFEM Verklan; Fiscal Year: 2001..It is anticipated that the use of this advanced technology will strengthen clinical practice due to an enhanced ability to better evaluate neurophysiologic indicators of stability of both the healthy and compromised fetus and neonate. ..
- GenMAPP-CS, a dynamic resource pathway analysisBruce R Conklin; Fiscal Year: 2010..The challenge of analyzing these massive and complex datasets is a major force driving the development of GenMAPP-CS. ..
- PROTEIN PHOSPHATASES AND OOCYTE MEIOSISGary Smith; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will provide novel information concerning control of oocyte maturation and spindle formation that may subsequently influence the developmental competency of resulting embryos. ..
- Maternal physiological factors influencing labor lengthJEREMY NEAL; Fiscal Year: 2008..Results may offer support to alternative labor management strategies. ..
- Molecular Analysis of a Novel Opioid Peptide TransporterVadivel Ganapathy; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Role of Cytokines and Promoter Genotype in PrematurityHyagriv Simhan; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- COLLABORATIVE R01--ROLES OF G PROTEINS IN CARDIOMYOPATHYBruce Conklin; Fiscal Year: 2002..3. To selectively activate G protein pathways in the setting of two experimentally induced cardiomyopathy models where G protein signaling has been shown to be altered. (End of Abstract) ..
- GenMAPP: A tool for pathway analysis of genomic dataBruce Conklin; Fiscal Year: 2006..With the completion these aims, GenMAPP 3.0 will provide a program that is robust, simple to use, and available without charge to the entire biological community. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CARNITINE TRANSPORTERS: STRUCTURE, FUNCTION & REGULATIONVadivel Ganapathy; Fiscal Year: 2003..laevis oocytes. The regulation studies will be carried out in intact animals using the rat as a model and also in cultured cells of human origin. ..
- Immune Tolerance; Sigma Receptor as a Therapeutic TargetVadivel Ganapathy; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Low birth weight, uterine infection, and nitric oxideChandrasekhar Yallampalli; Fiscal Year: 2007..2 will test the hypothesis that NO donor can reverse the increases in DAF expression in uteroplacental and vascular tissues and in fetal growth restriction ..
- Cocaine and Apoptosis in the Developing HeartLubo Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2004..Such an understanding has obvious clinical implications because the increasing information has pointed to an important role of apoptosis in cardiovascular diseases. ..
- MECHANISMS OF PRETERM LABOR: NF-KB ACTIVATION OF COX-2DOUGLAS KNISS; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- MIDCAREER AWARD IN PATIENT ORIENTED OBSTETRIC RESEARCHDwight Rouse; Fiscal Year: 2004..Finally, the effectiveness of an intervention (how it would perform under conditions of actual clinical practice) is an attribute that, in many situations, is as important as its efficacy (how it performs under ideal conditions). ..
- PURINERGIC AXIS OF CARDIAC BLOOD VESSELSIAIN BUXTON; Fiscal Year: 2001..We will approach these aims with biochemical, pharmacological, molecular, cell biological and microscopic methods employing intact blood vessels, cells in primary culture and subcellular fractions. ..
- Risk factors for medically indicated preterm birth in a Latin American populationCLAUDIO GERARDO SOSA; Fiscal Year: 2010..The long-term goal of this research program is to develop intervention strategies that are based on the risk factors identified in the proposed study resulting in decreased morbidity and mortality. ..
- Nutrition and the Genetics of PrematurityHyagriv N Simhan; Fiscal Year: 2010..Finally, we aim to identify how race modifies the interaction between inflammatory gene polymorphisms and nutrition on lower genital tract immunity and the risk of preterm birth. ..
- Development of Spatial-Temporal Analysis Tools for Uterine Biomagnetic SignalsHari Eswaran; Fiscal Year: 2009..This system can record the magnetic field corresponding to the electrical activity of uterine contraction and provide requisite spatial-temporal information...
- Uterine Vascular Adaptation to PregnancyLubo Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2005..Such an understanding has obvious clinical implications because the maladaptation of uterine circulation to pregnancy is associated with fetal developmental abnormalities and maternal cardiovascular disorders. ..
- Prenatal Cocaine Exposure and Cardiac ProgrammingLubo Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Antenatal and preschool iron and zinc use and cognitionParul Christian; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Compartmental analysis of proteomic biomarkers during intra-uterine infectionsPETA GRIGSBY; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Regulation of the Contraction in Human UterusVICTOR FOMIN; Fiscal Year: 2004..A proper understanding of the mechanisms of uterine contraction and its cellular regulation is essential in finding ways to treat these uterine functional pathologies...
- Insulin and Oocyte Chromatin SegregationGary Smith; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..