Genomes and Genes
Summary: The state of the PENIS when the erectile tissue becomes filled or swollen (tumid) with BLOOD and causes the penis to become rigid and elevated. It is a complex process involving CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM; PERIPHERAL NERVOUS SYSTEMS; HORMONES; SMOOTH MUSCLES; and vascular functions.
Publications242 found, 100 shown here
- Noncholinergic penile erection in mice lacking the gene for endothelial nitric oxide synthaseArthur L Burnett
Department of Urology, The James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute, The Johns Hopkins Hospital and The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 2411, USA
J Androl 23:92-7. 2002With the current understanding that nitric oxide (NO) mediates penile erection, the endothelial isoform of NO synthase (eNOS) has been implicated in this function...
- Potency following robotic radical prostatectomy: a questionnaire based analysis of outcomes after conventional nerve sparing and prostatic fascia sparing techniquesMani Menon
Vattikuti Urology Institute, Henry Ford Hospital, 2799 West Grand Boulevard K 9, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
J Urol 174:2291-6, discussion 2296. 2005..In January 2003 we initiated a prospective study comparing patients undergoing prostatic fascia preservation with those undergoing conventional nerve sparing robotic radical prostatectomy. We report results at 12 months of followup..
- Mechanisms of penile erection and basis for pharmacological treatment of erectile dysfunctionK E Andersson
Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Pharmacol Rev 63:811-59. 2011..used are able to substitute, partially or completely, the malfunctioning endogenous mechanisms that control penile erection. Most drugs have a direct action on penile tissue facilitating penile smooth muscle relaxation, including ..
- Neuroanatomical correlates of penile erection evoked by photographic stimuli in human malesV Moulier
INSERM, U742, Univ Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, F 75005, and Assistance Publique des Hopitaux de Paris, Centre Inter Etablissements de Résonance Magnétique, Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
Neuroimage 33:689-99. 2006....
- Physiology of penile erection and pathophysiology of erectile dysfunctionRobert C Dean
Department of Urology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco Medical Center, San Francisco, CA 94143 0738, USA
Urol Clin North Am 32:379-95, v. 2005This article reviews the physiology of penile erection, the components of erectile function, and the pathophysiology of erectile dysfunction...
- Defining potency: a comparison of the International Index of Erectile Function short version and the Expanded Prostate Cancer Index CompositeFlorian R Schroeck
Duke Prostate Center, Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Cancer 113:2687-94. 2008..In this study, the authors compared various definitions of potency according to the IIEF-5 and the EPIC...
- Changes in sexual function in middle-aged and older men: longitudinal data from the Massachusetts Male Aging StudyAndre B Araujo
New England Research Institutes, Watertown, Massachusetts 02472, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 52:1502-9. 2004..To describe within-individual change in sexual function over a 9-year period and to determine whether the amount of change differs by age group...
- Prediction of erectile function following treatment for prostate cancerMehrdad Alemozaffar
Urology Division, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
JAMA 306:1205-14. 2011....
- Association between smoking cessation and sexual health in menChristopher B Harte
Department of Psychology, University of Texas, Austin, TX, USA
BJU Int 109:888-96. 2012..To provide the first empirical investigation of the association between smoking cessation and indices of physiological and subjective sexual health in men...
- Oxytocin injected into the ventral subiculum or the posteromedial cortical nucleus of the amygdala induces penile erection and increases extracellular dopamine levels in the nucleus accumbens of male ratsMaria Rosaria Melis
Bernard B Brodie Department of Neuroscience, University of Cagliari, Cittadella Universitaria, Monserrato, Cagliari, Italy
Eur J Neurosci 30:1349-57. 2009Oxytocin (20-100 ng) was found to be able to induce penile erection when injected unilaterally into the ventral subiculum or the posteromedial cortical nucleus of the amygdala of male rats...
- Oxytocin injected into the ventral tegmental area induces penile erection and increases extracellular dopamine in the nucleus accumbens and paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus of male ratsMaria Rosaria Melis
Bernard B Brodie Department of Neuroscience, University of Cagliari, S P Sestu Monserrato, Monserrato, Italy
Eur J Neurosci 26:1026-35. 2007The neuropeptide oxytocin (20-100 ng), induces penile erection when injected unilaterally into the caudal but not rostral mesencephalic ventral tegmental area (VTA) of male Sprague-Dawley rats...
- Evaluating the relationship between erectile dysfunction and dose received by the penile bulb: using data from a randomised controlled trial of conformal radiotherapy in prostate cancer (MRC RT01, ISRCTN47772397)Stephen A Mangar
Academic Department of Radiotherapy and Oncology, The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust and The Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Radiother Oncol 80:355-62. 2006..To evaluate the relationship between erectile function and the radiation dose to the penile bulb and other proximal penile structures in men receiving conformal radiotherapy (CFRT) for prostate cancer (PCa)...
- Radiation dose-volume effects and the penile bulbMack Roach
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 1708, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 76:S130-4. 2010..It is acknowledged that the penile bulb may not be the critical component of the erectile apparatus, but it seems to be a surrogate for yet to be determined structure(s) critical for erectile function for at least some techniques...
- Oxytocin induces penile erection when injected into the ventral tegmental area of male rats: role of nitric oxide and cyclic GMPSalvatora Succu
Bernard B Brodie Department of Neuroscience, University of Cagliari, 09042 Monserrato, Italy
Eur J Neurosci 28:813-21. 2008Oxytocin (80 ng) injected into the caudal mesencephalic ventral tegmental area (VTA) of male rats induces penile erection. Such an effect occurs together with an increase in nitric oxide (NO) production, as measured by the augmented ..
- RhoA/Rho-kinase: a novel player in the regulation of penile erectionK Chitaley
Department of Physiology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Int J Impot Res 13:67-72. 2001..We also speculate on potential physiologic mechanisms by which endogenous vasoconstriction is inhibited in order for arousal-initiated vasorelaxation, and erection, to occur...
- Smoking and erectile dysfunction: evidence based analysisK T McVary
Department of Urology, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Urol 166:1624-32. 2001..Clinical and basic science studies provide strong indirect evidence that smoking may affect penile erection by the impairment of endothelium dependent smooth muscle relaxation...
- Control of penile erection by the melanocortinergic system: experimental evidences and therapeutic perspectivesFrancois Giuliano
Department of Urology, CHU de Bicetre, 78 rue du General Leclerc, 94270 Le Kremlin Bicêtre cedex, France
J Androl 25:683-91. 2004
- Involvement of noradrenergic innervation from locus coeruleus to hippocampal formation in negative feedback regulation of penile erection in the ratA Y Chang
Center for Neuroscience, National Sun Yat Sen University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, Republic of China
Hippocampus 11:783-92. 2001We demonstrated previously that a novel negative feed back mechanism for the regulation of penile erection, which is triggered by ascending sensory inputs initiated by tumescence of the penis, exists in the hippocampal formation (HF)...
- AVE 0991, a non-peptide Mas-receptor agonist, facilitates penile erectionAndrey C da Costa Goncalves
Departamento de Fisiologia e Biofisica, Av Antonio Carlos, 6627 ICB UFMG, 31270 901 Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil
Exp Physiol 98:850-5. 2013..On the contrary, the heptapeptide angiotensin-(1-7) appears to mediate penile erection by activation of the Mas receptor...
- Bisphenol A inhibits penile erection via alteration of histology in the rabbitD G Moon
Department of Urology, Korea University College of Medicine, Seoul
Int J Impot Res 13:309-16. 2001..These results suggest that xenoestrogen BPA may affect the erectile function through evident histological changes of the penis...
- How potent is potent? Evaluation of sexual function and bother in men who report potency after treatment for prostate cancer: data from CaPSUREMatthew R Cooperberg
Department of Urology, Program in Urologic Oncology, Urologic Outcomes Research Group, University of California, San Francisco Mt Zion Comprehensive Cancer Center, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Urology 61:190-6. 2003..The accurate assessment of sexual function is critical for the evaluation of outcomes after treatment of prostate cancer. The assessments of potency typically used in this context, however, may be oversimplified...
- Butea superba Roxb. enhances penile erection in ratsChainarong Tocharus
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Naresuan University, Phitsanulok 65000 Thailand
Phytother Res 20:484-9. 2006..The extracts were prepared from fresh and dried root cores and fresh and dried root barks. Penile erection was induced in aged rats by electrical stimulation of the cavernous nerve...
- Formulas for determining the dimensions of venous graft required for penile curvature correctionG L Hsu
Microsurgical Potency Reconstruction and Research Center, Taiwan Adventist Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Int J Androl 29:515-20. 2006..Because of its anatomical vicinity and its availability as material, the deep dorsal vein associated with the cavernosal vein may play an indispensable role in grafting even with local anaesthesia on an outpatient basis...
- Neural control of erectionFrancois Giuliano
PELVIPHARM Laboratoire, Domaine CNRS, Bat 5, 1 Avenue de la Terrasse, 91198 Gif sur Yvette Cedex, France
Physiol Behav 83:189-201. 2004b>Penile erection is a vascular event controlled by the autonomic nervous system...
- Cross-sectional analysis of sexual function after prostate brachytherapyGeorgina Finney
Cancer Research Program, Garvan Institute of Medical Research, St Vincent s Hospital, Darlinghurst, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Urology 66:377-81. 2005..To assess sexual function after prostate brachytherapy and compare outcomes in different age groups...
- Time of decline in sexual function after external beam radiotherapy for prostate cancerJoshua Siglin
Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 76:31-5. 2010..The inconsistent evaluation of sexual function (SF) and limited follow-up data have necessitated additional study to clarify the rate and timing of erectile dysfunction after external beam radiotherapy (EBRT) for prostate cancer...
- The effect of mirodenafil on the penile erection and corpus cavernosum in the rat model of cavernosal nerve injuryH Kim
Department of Urology, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
Int J Impot Res 22:291-7. 2010..In this study, we evaluated the effects of mirodenafil on the penile erection and corpus cavernosum tissues in the rat model of cavernosal nerve injury...
- Improvement of penile erection, sperm count and seminal fructose levels in vivo and nitric oxide release in vitro by ayurvedic herbsM Thakur
Centre for Phytochemistry and Pharmacology, Southern Cross University, Lismore, NSW, Australia
Andrologia 43:273-7. 2011In the present study, the effect of four Vajikaran Rasayana herbs on penile erection, sperm count, seminal fructose content in vivo and nitric oxide (NO) release in vitro was assessed...
- Central neural regulation of penile erectionF Giuliano
Service d Urologie, CHU de Bicetre, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, F 94270 Cedex, Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 24:517-33. 2000b>Penile erection is caused by a change of the activity of efferent autonomic pathways to the erectile tissues and of somatic pathways to the perineal striated muscles...
- Nitric oxide-dependent penile erection in mice lacking neuronal nitric oxide synthaseA L Burnett
Department of Urology, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Mol Med 2:288-96. 1996Nitric oxide (NO) has been implicated as a mediator of penile erection, because the neuronal isoform of NO synthase (NOS) is localized to the penile innervation and NOS inhibitors selectively block erections...
- Cyclic AMP-dependent phosphorylation of neuronal nitric oxide synthase mediates penile erectionK Joseph Hurt
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:16624-9. 2012Nitric oxide (NO) generated by neuronal NO synthase (nNOS) initiates penile erection, but has not been thought to participate in the sustained erection required for normal sexual performance...
- In vivo and in vitro animal investigation of the effect of a mixture of herbal extracts from Tribulus terrestris and Cornus officinalis on penile erectionSung Chul Kam
Department of Urology, Gyeongsang National University School of Medicine, Jinju, Korea
J Sex Med 9:2544-51. 2012..Herbal preparations have long been used as folk remedies for erectile dysfunction (ED)...
- Urotensin II: a novel target in human corpus cavernosumRoberta d'Emmanuele di Villa Bianca
University of Naples, Federico II Interdepartmental Research Centre for Sexual Medicine CIRMS, Naples, Italy
J Sex Med 7:1778-86. 2010..U-II caused both constrictor and vasodilator effect, depending by vascular bed. The in vivo functional consequences of U-II on the cardiovascular hemodynamics are not clearly understood...
- Role of adenosine signaling in penile erection and erectile disordersPrasad V Phatarpekar
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, TX, USA
J Sex Med 7:3553-64. 2010b>Penile erection is a hemodynamic process, which results from increased flow and retention of blood in the penile organ due to the relaxation of smooth muscle cells...
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled evaluation of the safety and efficacy of avanafil in subjects with erectile dysfunctionIrwin Goldstein
Sexual Medicine, Alvarado Hospital, San Diego, CA 92120, USA
J Sex Med 9:1122-33. 2012..Phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitors have become standard treatment for erectile dysfunction (ED)...
- Salvaging penile venous stripping surgeryGeng Long Hsu
Microsurgical Potency Reconstruction and Research Center, Department of Urology, China Medical University and Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
J Androl 31:250-60. 2010..This series of salvaging venous surgeries, although technically challenging, are helpful in correcting penile deformity and restoring erectile function in some patients who had poorer outcomes from prior venous surgeries...
- Long-term results of autologous venous grafts for penile morphological reconstructionGeng Long Hsu
Microsurgical Potency Reconstruction and Research Center, Taiwan Adventist Hospital, 424 Ba De Road, Sec 2, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Androl 28:186-93. 2007..Careful microsurgical manipulation is required to achieve a satisfactory, sustainable outcome...
- Nitric oxide regulation of penile erection: biology and therapeutic implicationsArthur L Burnett
Department of Urology, The James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
J Androl 23:S20-6. 2002
- Phosphorylated endothelial nitric oxide synthase mediates vascular endothelial growth factor-induced penile erectionBiljana Musicki
Department of Urology, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Biol Reprod 70:282-9. 2004The objective of the present study was to evaluate whether vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)-induced penile erection is mediated by activation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) through its phosphorylation...
- Penile veins play a pivotal role in erection: the haemodynamic evidenceCheng Hsing Hsieh
Microsurgical Potency Reconstruction and Research Center, Taiwan Adventist Hospital, 424 Pa Te Road, Sec 2, Taipei, Taiwan
Int J Androl 28:88-92. 2005..We therefore concluded that penile veins may play a significant role in attaining sufficient erection, and further research is required to study this possible clinical implication...
- The ups and downs of Rho-kinase and penile erection: upstream regulators and downstream substrates of rho-kinase and their potential role in the erectile responseK Chitaley
Department of Physiology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Int J Impot Res 15:105-9. 2003..Although NO is thought to be the principal stimulator of penile erection, the signaling mechanism(s) of NO-mediated cavernosal vasodilation is unknown...
- Y-27632 improves the erectile dysfunction with ageing in SD rats through adjusting the imbalance between nNo and the Rho-kinase pathwaysB H Gao
Department of Urology, Second Hospital and Qilu Hospital, Shandong University School of Medicine, Jinan, China
Andrologia 39:146-50. 2007....
- Hypothesis of human penile anatomy, erection hemodynamics and their clinical applicationsGeng Long Hsu
Microsurgical Potency Reconstruction and Research Center, Taiwan Adventist Hospital, 424, Ba De Road, Sec 2, Taipei 105, Taiwan, China
Asian J Androl 8:225-34. 2006..To summarize recent advances in human penile anatomy, hemodynamics and their clinical applications...
- Absolute versus relative ascertainment of pedophilia in menRay Blanchard
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sex Abuse 21:431-41. 2009..These results dramatically demonstrate the utility-or perhaps necessity-of relative ascertainment in the laboratory assessment of erotic age-preference...
- The relation between peak response magnitudes and agreement in diagnoses obtained from two different phallometric tests for pedophiliaAmy D Lykins
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5T 1R8
Sex Abuse 22:42-57. 2010..Results also indicated that at response levels less than 1 cm(3), diagnostic consistency was no better than chance, supporting the establishment of a minimum response level criterion...
- Neurophysiological basis of penile erectionFernanda B M Priviero
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Georgia, 1120 15th Street, CA 3101 Augusta, GA 30912 3000, USA
Acta Pharmacol Sin 28:751-5. 2007b>Penile erection involves a complex interaction between the central nervous system and local factors. It is a neurovascular event modulated by psychological and hormonal factors...
- An activation of parvocellular oxytocinergic neurons in the paraventricular nucleus in oxytocin-induced yawning and penile erectionIchiro Kita
Sleep and Circadian Neurobiology Laboratory, Center for Narcolepsy, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, CA 94304 5489, USA
Neurosci Res 54:269-75. 2006Intracerebroventricular (ICV) or PVN local injections of oxytocin induce yawning and penile erection, for which a positive feedback mechanism for the PVN oxytocinergic activation is suggested, but this had not been directly substantiated ..
- Adenosine modulation of neurotransmission in penile erectionP H Chiang
Department of Urology, Kaohsiung Medical College, Taiwan, ROC
Br J Clin Pharmacol 38:357-62. 1994..Our results suggest that adenosine seems to be an important neuromodulator for penile erection and can be an effective and alternative combination in the treatment of impotence.
- [Methods for evaluation of penile erection hardness]Yi Ming Yuan
Department of Urology, The First Hospital of Peking University, Beijing 100034, China
Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 16:642-5. 2010b>Penile erection hardness is one of the key factors for successful sexual intercourse, as well as an important index in the diagnosis and treatment of erectile dysfunction (ED)...
- Sexual arousal to female children in gynephilic menAmy D Lykins
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sex Abuse 22:279-89. 2010..001 for both). Thus, Freund et al.'s results still appear to be valid, and the explanation for child molesting that they suggest still seems to be feasible...
- Dopamine-oxytocin interactions in penile erectionT A Baskerville
School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Eur J Neurosci 30:2151-64. 2009Dopamine and oxytocin have established roles in the central regulation of penile erection in rats; however, the neural circuitries involved in a specific erectile context and the interaction between dopamine and oxytocin mechanisms ..
- Age-related changes of the GABA-B receptor in the lumbar spinal cord of male rats and penile erectionVerónica B Dorfman
Laboratorio de Neurobiologia, Instituto de Biologia y Medicina Experimental, V de Obligado 2490 C1428ADN Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Life Sci 78:1529-34. 2006Dorsal horn neurons of lumbosacral spinal cord innervate penile vasculature and regulate penile erection. GABAergic system is involved in the regulation of male sexual behavior...
- Importance of the medial amygdala in rat penile erection evoked by remote stimuli from estrous femalesY Kondo
Department of Physiology 1, Nippon Medical School, Tokyo, Japan
Behav Brain Res 91:215-22. 1998Effects of medial amygdala lesions (MAL) were examined on rat penile erection in three different experimental situations. Only sexually vigorous males, as identified by preoperative mating tests, were used...
- Phosphodiesterase-5 inhibition synergizes rho-kinase antagonism and enhances erectile response in male hypertensive ratsN Wilkes
Division of Urology, University of California San Diego Medical Center, 200 W Arbor Drive 8897, San Diego, CA 92103 8897, USA
Int J Impot Res 16:187-94. 2004..Rho-kinase inhibition alone or combined with PDE5 inhibition may be of value in treating hypertension-related ED...
- Novel nitric oxide signaling mechanisms regulate the erectile responseA L Burnett
Department of Urology, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 2411, USA
Int J Impot Res 16:S15-9. 2004Nitric oxide (NO) is a physiologic signal essential to penile erection, and disorders that reduce NO synthesis or release in the erectile tissue are commonly associated with erectile dysfunction...
- Salvage penile curvature correction surgeryCheng Hsing Hsieh
Buddhist Tzu Chi General Hospital, Taipei Branch, Taipei, Taiwan
J Androl 31:450-6. 2010..2 ± 3.6 vs 21.9 ± 2.1, n = 20, P < .001). These results suggest that in penile tunical surgery, fine sutures such as 6-0 nylon may result in better penile morphology and functional outcomes...
- Penile erection in response to remote cues from females: albino rats severely impaired relative to pigmented strainsB D Sachs
Department of Psychology, University of Connecticut, Storrs 06269 1020, USA
Physiol Behav 60:803-8. 1996..Albinism-related neural pathology, possibly outside of the visual system, may contribute to the deficit in NCE in albino rats...
- Ghrelin injected into the paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus of male rats induces feeding but not penile erectionMaria Rosario Melis
Bernard B Brodie Department of Neuroscience, University of Cagliari, S P Sestu Monserrato, 09042 Monserrato, Italy
Neurosci Lett 329:339-43. 2002..characterized endogenous receptor agonist for growth hormone (GH) secretagogue receptors, on feeding and penile erection was compared with that of EP 80661, a peptide analogue of the GH secretagogue hexarelin, previously ..
- Pedophilia, hebephilia, and the DSM-VRay Blanchard
Law and Mental Health Program, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 250 College Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Arch Sex Behav 38:335-50. 2009..We further recommend that the DSM-V encourage users to record the typical age of children who most attract the patient sexually as well as the gender of children who most attract the patient sexually...
- The azulene framework as a novel arene bioisostere: design of potent dopamine D4 receptor ligands inducing penile erectionStefan Löber
Department of Chemistry and Pharmacy, Emil Fischer Center, Friedrich Alexander University, Schuhstrasse 19, 91052 Erlangen, Germany
ChemMedChem 4:325-8. 2009..an analogous binding mode as heterocyclic dopamine D4 receptor-selective lead compounds, the induction of penile erection in rats over a greater range of doses indicates a putative advantage of the rationally developed azulene ..
- Effect of excitatory amino acid receptor agonists on penile erection after administration into the CA3 hippocampal region in the ratYunseob Song
Department of Urology, Soonchunhyang University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Urology 64:1250-4. 2004..The paraventricular nuclei of the hypothalamus and hippocampus are believed to play a role in the central regulation of erectile function...
- Stimulation of dopamine receptors in the paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus of male rats induces penile erection and increases extra-cellular dopamine in the nucleus accumbens: Involvement of central oxytocinSalvatora Succu
Bernard B Brodie Department of Neuroscience, Centre of Excellence for the Neurobiology of Addictions, University of Cagliari, S P Sestu Monserrato, Km 0 700, 09042 Monserrato, CA, Italy
Neuropharmacology 52:1034-43. 2007..As expected, apomorphine (0.1microg) and PD-168077 (0.1microg) induced penile erection episodes, which occurred concomitantly to an increase in extra-cellular dopamine and DOPAC concentration in ..
- Activation of dopamine D4 receptors by ABT-724 induces penile erection in ratsJorge D Brioni
Neuroscience Research, Global Pharmaceutical Research and Development, Abbott Laboratories, Abbott Park, IL 60064, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:6758-63. 2004Apomorphine, a nonselective dopamine receptor agonist, facilitates penile erection and is effective in patients suffering from erectile dysfunction...
- EP 91073 prevents EP 80661-induced penile erection: new evidence for the existence of specific EP peptide receptors mediating penile erectionM R Melis
Bernard B. Brodie Department of Neuroscience, University of Cagliari, Via Porcell 4, 09124 Cagliari, Italy
Neuropharmacology 41:254-62. 2001..EP 51389, EP 70555 and EP 51216, peptide analogues of the growth hormone releasing peptide hexarelin, on penile erection induced by EP 80661 or EP 60761 injected into the paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus, was studied in ..
- Effects of castration and androgen replacement on erectile function in a rabbit modelA M Traish
Department of Urology, Boston University School of Medicine, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Endocrinology 140:1861-8. 1999..The results of this study demonstrate that androgen deprivation alters the functional responses and structure of erectile tissue...
- A new potential of blood oxygenation level dependent (BOLD) functional MRI for evaluating cerebral centers of penile erectionK Park
Department of Urology, Chonnam National University Medical School, Kwangju, Korea
Int J Impot Res 13:73-81. 2001It is well known that penile erection is dependent on commands from the central nervous system. However, there has been little research on the central control of penile erection...
- An analysis of the natural history of Peyronie's diseaseJohn P Mulhall
Department of Urology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Urol 175:2115-8; discussion 2118. 2006..Little information exists on the natural history of PD. We defined the course of PD in a group of men with this condition who received no treatment...
- Radical prostatectomy: a prospective comparison of oncological and functional results between open and laparoscopic approachesThierry Roumeguere
Department of Urology, Erasme Hospital University Clinics of Brussels, 808 Route de Lennik, 1070 Brussels, Belgium
World J Urol 20:360-6. 2003..We conclude that this prospective, comparative study shows that LRP, when performed in specialized centers, gives oncological and functional results comparable to open surgery...
- The relationship of serum testosterone to erectile function in normal aging menErnani Luis Rhoden
Andrology Division, Department of Urology, Santa Casa Hospital and Fundação Faculdade Federal de Ciências Médicas, Porto Alegre, Brazil
J Urol 167:1745-8. 2002..We evaluated the variation in serum testosterone in normal aging men and its relationship with erectile function...
- The phosphodiesterase inhibitory selectivity and the in vitro and in vivo potency of the new PDE5 inhibitor vardenafilI Saenz de Tejada
Fundacion para la Investigacion y el Desarrollo en Andrologia, Madrid, Spain
Int J Impot Res 13:282-90. 2001..Vardenafil was more potent and selective than sildenafil on its inhibitory activity on PDE5...
- IQ, handedness, and pedophilia in adult male patients stratified by referral sourceRay Blanchard
Law and Mental Health Program, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, ON, Canada
Sex Abuse 19:285-309. 2007..The findings were interpreted as evidence for the hypothesis that neurodevelopmental perturbations increase the risk of pedophilia in males...
- Sexual function after three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy for prostate cancer: results from a dose-escalation trialGerard J van der Wielen
Department of Radiation Oncology, Erasmus MC Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 68:479-84. 2007..The purpose of this study is to provide information about sexual function (SF) after three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy (3D-CRT) for prostate cancer while taking important factors into account that influence SF...
- Cannabinoid CB1 receptors in the paraventricular nucleus and central control of penile erection: immunocytochemistry, autoradiography and behavioral studiesM P Castelli
Bernard B Brodie Department of Neuroscience, University of Cagliari, S P Sestu Monserrato, Km 0 700, 09042 Monserrato CA, Italy
Neuroscience 147:197-206. 2007..antagonist, injected into the paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus (PVN) of male rats, induces penile erection. This effect is mediated by the release of glutamic acid, which in turn activates central oxytocinergic ..
- Nitric oxide and penile erectile functionNoboru Toda
Department of Pharmacology, Shiga University of Medical Science, Otsu, Japan
Pharmacol Ther 106:233-66. 2005..also produce and liberate NO in response to chemical and possibly physical stimuli, roles of neurogenic NO in penile erection appear to be more attractive and convincing...
- Development and validation of the quality of erection questionnaireHartmut Porst
Private Practice of Urology Andrology, Hamburg, Germany
J Sex Med 4:372-81. 2007..There are no psychometrically validated assessment tools designed to solely and specifically evaluate satisfaction with the quality of erections...
- The evolving role of testosterone in the treatment of erectile dysfunctionR Shabsigh
Department of Urology, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Int J Clin Pract 60:1087-92. 2006..Screening for hypogonadism may be useful in men with ED who fail prior PDE5 inhibitors, especially in populations at risk for hypogonadism such as type 2 diabetes and the metabolic syndrome...
- Projections from bed nuclei of the stria terminalis, magnocellular nucleus: implications for cerebral hemisphere regulation of micturition, defecation, and penile erectionHong Wei Dong
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, 90089 2520, USA
J Comp Neurol 494:108-41. 2006..known major parts of the brain network that controls pelvic functions, including micturition, defecation, and penile erection, as well as to brain networks controlling nutrient and body water homeostasis...
- Akt-dependent phosphorylation of endothelial nitric-oxide synthase mediates penile erectionK Joseph Hurt
Department of Neuroscience, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 725 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:4061-6. 2002..The two drugs also reduce erection. Penile erection elicited by papaverine is reduced profoundly in mice with targeted deletion of eNOS...
- Pharmacology of penile erectionK E Andersson
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Lund University Hospital, S 22185 Lund, Sweden
Pharmacol Rev 53:417-50. 2001..used are able to substitute, partially or completely, the malfunctioning endogenous mechanisms that control penile erection. Most drugs have a direct action on penile tissue facilitating penile smooth muscle relaxation, including ..
- Brain control of penile erectionO Rampin
Laboratoire de Neurobiologie des Fonctions Vegetatives, Jouy en Josas, France
World J Urol 19:1-8. 2001..g. central dopaminergic pathways, leading to clinical perspectives in the treatment of erectile dysfunction. The present review focuses on some aspects of the recent research in the field...
- Topical application of a Rho-kinase inhibitor in rats causes penile erectionY Dai
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia 30912 3000, USA
Int J Impot Res 16:294-8. 2004..Although high doses of the drug were found to reduce systemic blood pressure, topical administration of the Rho-kinase inhibitor, in appropriate doses, may have clinical value for the treatment erectile dysfunction...
- Brain processing of audiovisual sexual stimuli inducing penile erection: a positron emission tomography studyAkira Tsujimura
Department of Urology, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, Suita, Japan
J Urol 176:679-83. 2006b>Penile erection is dependent on commands from the central nervous system...
- Antagonism of cannabinoid CB1 receptors in the paraventricular nucleus of male rats induces penile erectionMaria Rosaria Melis
Bernard B Brodie Department of Neuroscience and Center of Excellence for The Neurobiology of Addictions, University of Cagliari, S P Sestu Monserrato, Km 0 700, 09042 Monserrato, CA, Italy
Neurosci Lett 359:17-20. 2004The effect of cannabinoid CB1 receptor agonists and antagonists on penile erection was studied in male rats when injected into the paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus...
- Local staging of penile cancer using magnetic resonance imaging with pharmacologically induced penile erectionG Petralia
Divisione di Radiologia, Istituto Europeo di Oncologia IRCCS, Via Ripamonti 435, 20141 Milano, Italy
Radiol Med 113:517-28. 2008..local staging of penile cancer by magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) combined with pharmacologically induced penile erection (PIPE), with clinical examination and pathology, and to verify whether MRI-PIPE led to changes in treatment ..
- Waning sexual function--the most important disease-specific distress for patients with prostate cancerA R Helgason
Department of Cancer Epidemiology, Radiumhemmet, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Br J Cancer 73:1417-21. 1996..A decline in sexual functions was the most common cause of disease-specific distress in men with prostate cancer...
- Antagonism of Rho-kinase stimulates rat penile erection via a nitric oxide-independent pathwayK Chitaley
Department of Physiology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Nat Med 7:119-22. 2001..sinuses results in increased blood flow into the penis, raising corpus cavernosum pressure to culminate in penile erection. Nitric oxide, released from non-adrenergic/non-cholinergic nerves, is considered the principle stimulator of ..
- Neural pathways and central sites involved in penile erection: neuroanatomy and clinical implicationsW D Steers
University of Virginia, Health Sciences Center, Department of Urology, Box 800 422, Jefferson Park Avenue, Charlottesville, VA 22908 0422, USA
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 24:507-16. 2000b>Penile erection occurs in response to tactile, visual, and imaginative stimuli in humans. In animals olfactory and auditory cues are particularly important...
- Possible role of bradykinin and angiotensin II in the regulation of penile erection and detumescenceA J Becker
Department of Urology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Urology 57:193-8. 2001..b>Penile erection was induced by audiovisual and tactile stimulation. AN II levels were determined using a radioimmunoassay...
- Melanocortin receptor agonists, penile erection, and sexual motivation: human studies with Melanotan IIH Wessells
Section of Urology, The University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, 85724, USA
Int J Impot Res 12:S74-9. 2000..In the absence of sexual stimulation, Melanotan II led to penile erection in 17 of 20 men. Subjects experienced a mean of 41 min Rigiscan tip rigidity>80%...
- Pharmacological and functional characterization of novel EP and DP receptor agonists: DP1 receptor mediates penile erection in multiple speciesNadia Brugger
EMD Serono Research Institute Medicinal Chemistry, Rockland, MA, USA
J Sex Med 5:344-56. 2008..Despite the widespread use of prostaglandin E(1) as an efficacious treatment for male erectile dysfunction for more than two decades, research on prostanoid function in penile physiology has been limited...
- Penile erection and micturition events triggered by electrical stimulation of the mesopontine tegmental areaJuan Carlos Toledo Salas
Department of Physiology, Fukushima Medical University, Fukushima, Japan
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 294:R102-11. 2008..Because penile erection occurs during REM sleep, the involvement of the LDT in penile erection was examined in unanesthetized head-..
- Exposure to the phytoestrogen daidzein attenuates apomorphine-induced penile erection concomitant with plasma testosterone level reduction in dose- and time-related manner in adult ratsLianjun Pan
Department of Reproduction and Genetics, Nanjing University School of Clinical Medicine, Jinling Hospital, Nanjing, People s Republic of China
Urology 70:613-7. 2007..The negative effects of phytoestrogens on the male reproductive system, particularly on penile erection, have hardly been evaluated.
- Vardenafil increases penile rigidity and tumescence in men with erectile dysfunction after a single oral doseS Stark
Department of Urology, University of Erlangen, Erlangen, Germany
Eur Urol 40:181-8; discussion 189-90. 2001..The pharmacokinetic, pharmacodynamic and tolerability profiles support vardenafil hydrochloride as a strong candidate for further testing as a treatment for erectile dysfunction...
- Differential brain processing of audiovisual sexual stimuli in men: comparative positron emission tomography study of the initiation and maintenance of penile erection during sexual arousalYasushi Miyagawa
Department of Urology, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka, 565 0871, Japan
Neuroimage 36:830-42. 2007..blood flow (rCBF) with H(2)15O-positron emission tomography (PET) during the excitation phase (initiation of penile erection) induced by audiovisual sexual stimuli (AVSS) and identified activation of the cerebellar vermis, the ..
- Penile erection induced in vivo by a purified toxin from the Brazilian spider Phoneutria nigriventerEnrico Andrade
Urology, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
BJU Int 102:835-7. 2008....
- Effect of sildenafil citrate on the male sexual experience assessed with the Sexual Experience Questionnaire: a multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial with open-label extensionLeRoy A Jones
Urology San Antonio Research, PA, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
J Sex Med 5:1955-64. 2008..The Sexual Experience Questionnaire (SEX-Q) enables quick and easy assessment of functional, emotional, and satisfaction-related aspects of the sexual experience in men with erectile dysfunction (ED)...
- The penile erection efficacy of a new phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitor, mirodenafil (SK3530), in rabbits with acute spinal cord injuryJi Youn Jung
Department of Companion and Laboratory Animal Science, Kongju National University, Yesan
J Vet Med Sci 70:1199-204. 2008..In the ischemic-reperfusion injury model, 3 mg/kg of either mirodenafil or sildenafil produced a penile erection response...
- Dose-dependent pharmacokinetics and first-pass effects of mirodenafil, a new erectogenic, in ratsYoung H Choi
College of Pharmacy and Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Seoul National University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Biopharm Drug Dispos 30:305-17. 2009..08-1.21. The plasma binding values of mirodenafil to rat plasma was 87.8%...
- Minimal time to successful intercourse after sildenafil citrate: results of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialH Padma-Nathan
Department of Urology, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Urology 62:400-3. 2003..To determine the minimal time to successful intercourse after taking sildenafil citrate for erectile dysfunction (ED)...
- alpha(2a) and alpha(2c) adrenoceptors on spinal neurons controlling penile erectionE D Yaici
Groupe de Recherche en Urologie, UPRES EA 1602, Faculte de Medecine Paris Sud, 63 rue Gabriel Peri, 94270 Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
Neuroscience 114:945-60. 2002..The results suggest an intraspinal modulation of the noradrenergic and adrenergic control of the autonomic outflow to the penis by pre- and postsynaptic alpha(2) adrenoceptors...
- Overactive corpus cavernosum: a novel cause of erectile dysfunctionA Shafik
Department of Surgery and Experimental Research, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
Andrologia 36:378-83. 2004..This condition of 'overactive CC' should be considered in the diagnosis of ED. However, further studies in the pathogenesis of the condition are warranted...
- Roles of RhoA/Rho-kinase Signaling in Cavernous Neurons Following Axonal InjuryTRINITY JUDE BIVALACQUA; Fiscal Year: 2013..have focused on the development and implementation of strategies for preserving the neurogenic basis of penile erection and functional integrity of the cavernous nerves following RP and thus maximizing postoperative erectile ..
- Exercise training improves erectile dysfunction in diabetes: role of central mechKaushik P Patel; Fiscal Year: 2012..the activation of sympathetic and parasympathetic nerves involved central mechanisms are also responsible for penile erection. We have shown that 1) in rats with streptozotocin (STZ)-induced type I diabetes (T1D) the erectile response ..
- BISPHENOL A EFFECTS ON THE PERIPHERAL MECHANISMS OF PENILE ERECTIONNestor F Gonzalez-Cadavid; Fiscal Year: 2011..ED) was described in male workers occupationally exposed to BPA, but this has not been evaluated measuring penile erection. ED in animal models is caused by a loss of penile corporal smooth muscle and nitrergic nerves, fibrosis and ..
- Diabetes Erectile dysfunction and apoptosis of cavernous tissuesRajvir Dahiya; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will do the following experiments: (a) Functional assessment of the effects of Bcl2 gene therapy on penile erection in diabetic rats, (b) Analysis of the effects of Bcl2 gene therapy on the oxidative stress pathways and the ..
- PREVENTION AND TREATMENT OF IMPOTENCETom F Lue; Fiscal Year: 2013..The cavernous nerve, the nerve that controls penile erection, is on the capsule of the prostate and is frequently injured during radical pelvic surgery for cancer of the ..
- Adenosine Signaling, Priapism and Sickle Cell DiseaseYang Xia; Fiscal Year: 2012PROJECT SUMMARY/ABSTRACT Priapism is defined as prolonged penile erection occurring unassociated with sexual interest. 40% of male sickle cell disease (SCD) patients display priapism...
- Cellular-molecular signature and mechanism of BPA effects on penile erectionNestor F Gonzalez-Cadavid; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specific aims: To determine in: Aim 1: the effects of a chronic exposure from gestation to BPA on penile erection and the related tissues that participate in this process under the compounding factor of aging, and to ..
- Role of 5-alpha Reductase in Testosterone ActionsShalendar Bhasin; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Androgen Regulation of Priapism in Sickle Cell DiseaseArthur Louis Burnett; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Priapism is a disorder of non-willful, excessive penile erection recurrences affecting diverse populations...
- NOS Regulation in the PenisArthur Louis Burnett; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Disorders of penile erection, which includes male erectile dysfunction, recurrent ischemic priapism and penile fibrosis, remain vexatious clinical management conditions and are addressed with limited ..
- TOXICOLOGICAL ASPECTS OF HEMOPROTEIN REGULATIONYoichi Osawa; Fiscal Year: 2004..These findings may be important as NO plays a key role in penile erection and antihypertensive agents as well as cigarette smoking are known to cause impotence...
- TREATMENT AND PREVENTION OF IMPOTENCETom Lue; Fiscal Year: 1990In this renewal application, we propose to investigate further: the ultrastructure of the penile erection tissue; impotence due to arterial insufficiency and venous leakage; and the feasibility of intraoperative electrostimulation of the ..
- Peripheral Nerve Stimulation for Erectile RestorationJOSEPH BOGGS; Fiscal Year: 2006..the feasibility of using electrical stimulation of the peripheral nerve to 1) evoke and 2) sustain a penile erection that is comparable to intracavernous injection of alprostadil (the gold standard for clinical treatment ..
- MICROSTIMULATION OF THE LUMBOSACRAL SPINAL CORD- MAPPINGJames Roppolo; Fiscal Year: 1999..Likewise, discrete control of penile erection, ejaculation, bowel evacuation, and control of the somatic musculature of the limbs may be possible by ..
- MICROSTIMULATION OF THE LUMBOSACRAL SPINAL CORD- MAPPINGWARREN GRILL; Fiscal Year: 2000..Likewise, discrete control of penile erection, ejaculation, bowel evacuation, and control of the somatic musculature of the limbs may be possible by ..
- FUNCTIONAL MRI OF MOTIVATION IN NONHUMAN PRIMATESCraig Ferris; Fiscal Year: 2002..receptive female will evoke sexual motivation in the male common marmoset characterized by non contact penile erection. This odor-induced, psychogenic behavior provides a unique opportunity to study brain activity associated ..
- THE ROLE OF OXYTOCIN IN MALE SEXUAL FUNCTIONKevin McKenna; Fiscal Year: 2002..hypothalamic pathway from the paraventricular nucleus to lumbosacral spinal cord as a potent facilitator of penile erection and ejaculation. The neurotransmitter for this excitation is the peptide oxytocin...
- MICROSTIMULATION OF THE LUMBOSACRAL SPINAL CORD--CHRONIDouglas McCreery; Fiscal Year: 1999..Likewise, discrete control of penile erection, ejaculation, bowel evacuation and control of the somatic musculature of the limbs may be possible by ..
- PHARMACOLOGIC FACTORS & SEXUALITY IN AGING HYPERTENSIONBrian Hoffman; Fiscal Year: 1992..Methodology, humans: Psychometric, psychophysiological and psychophysical (sensory) testing; nocturnal penile tumescence measurements and prospective data keeping of components of sexual behavior...
- DIABETES AND ERECTILE FUNCTIONRajvir Dahiya; Fiscal Year: 2002..Under this aim we will analyze intracavernous pressure (functional assessment) of penile erection in streptozotocin-induced diabetic (2, 4, 6, 8 weeks) rats...
- PHYSIOLOGY OF PENILE SMOOTH MUSCLEIrwin Goldstein; Fiscal Year: 1999..The goals are to define the role of NO in penile erection, to study its physiologic regulation in the penis and to define how disease states interfere with the NO ..
- PREDICTING SEXUAL/ANTISOCIAL BEHAVIOR AGAINST WOMENNeil Malamuth; Fiscal Year: 1991..We will also control for the tendency to report only socially desirable behavior and general personality pathology. The study will be the first to test, within a longitudinal context, the predictive validity of the model outlined...
- NOCTURNAL PENILE TUMESCENCE IN DEPRESSIONCharles Reynolds; Fiscal Year: 1992..Using data from Studies I and II, we will test the null hypothesis that NPT activity/rigidity in midlife depressives does not differ from that seen in healthy elderly men, except in reversibility of impairment...
- NITRIC OXIDE REGULATORY SYSTEM IN THE PENISArthur Burnett; Fiscal Year: 2002..accepted that the mechanism of vascular and trabecular smooth muscle relaxation in the penis required for penile erection depends upon nitric oxide...
- 2008 AUA/SBUR Summer Research ConferenceArthur Burnett; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Neural Melanocortin Signaling and Erectile FunctionHunter Wessells; Fiscal Year: 2005..Melanocortin neuropeptides such as alpha-melanoeyte stimulating hormone (MSH) induce penile erection via an action in the hypothalamus. The receptor subtype responsible for erection is unknown...
- GENE THERAPY OF DIABETIC PENILE ENDOTHELIAL DYSFUNCTIONHunter Wessells; Fiscal Year: 2004..Such a strategy may ultimately be beneficial to men with ED due to diabetes as well as smoking, hypercholesterolemia, and aging. ..
- FEMALE SEXUAL AROUSAL: CLITORAL AND VAGINAL PHYSIOLOGYAbdulmaged Traish; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Posttranslational Regulation of eNOS by Estrogen in the Vagina and ClitorisBiljana Musicki; Fiscal Year: 2007..At the same time it may advance treatments for multiple disease states associated with endothelial dysfunction and alterations in hormonal milieu. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- eNOS-Protein Interaction in the PenisBiljana Musicki; Fiscal Year: 2007..DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) is an important mediator of penile erection. Appropriate subcellular trafficking and protein-protein interactions are necessary for proper eNOS function...
- Immortalized Human Cavernosal Endothelial CellsHunter Wessells; Fiscal Year: 2005..expresses a sinusoidal phenotype reflecting the unique range of physical forces and blood flow required for penile erection. These endothelial cells also contain complex regulatory and functional proteins such as eNOS and VEGF which ..
- CELL-SELECTIVE EXPRESSION OF FIBROTIC GENE PATHWAYSNestor Gonzalez Cadavid; Fiscal Year: 2008..We expect that our studies would lead to the detection of novel targets of antifibrotic therapy for penile and vascular diseases of considerable public health impact. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION AND NITRIC OXIDE SYNTHASE IN AGINGNestor Gonzalez Cadavid; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Sexual Dysfunction and Diabetes:Look AHEAD Sub-StudyStephen Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2006..iii) Finally, the proposed sub-study will investigate the relationship between changes in sexual function and quality of life outcomes. ..
- The impact of androgen ablation therapy on cognition in*Christian Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2006..2. To determine the severity of cognitive impairment in men over the age of 65 who have received androgen ablation therapy for 2 years. ..
- PDE-5 Inhibition in HIV+ and HIV- MenRaymond Rosen; Fiscal Year: 2005..Key personnel for the project are Raymond C. Rosen, Ph.D., Professor of Psychiatry and Medicine at UMDNJ, who will serve as PI, and Joseph Catania, PhD, co-PI, from the AIDS Research Institute at UCSF. ..
- Conference on Reproductive PsychophysiologyErick Janssen; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, selected members of the pre-conference workshop will work together to formulate and publish guidelines for psychophysiological measurement. ..
- Mechanisms Influencing Sexual Risk TakingErick Janssen; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Gene therapy for bladder hyperactivity in diabetic ratsGeorge Christ; Fiscal Year: 2002..In year 2 of this proposal we will study the prophylactic ability and duration of this gene therapy approach. ..
- Ceruloplasmin Mediated Penile Endothelial Dysfunction in Type 1 DiabetesKanchan Chitaley; Fiscal Year: 2008..on penile vascular endothelial function in vivo, 3) investigate whether ceruloplasmin causes impaired penile erection in a mouse model of type 1 diabetes...
- MOLECULAR STUDIES OF EXPERIMENTAL DIABETIC NEUROPATHYGeorge Christ; Fiscal Year: 2003..By bringing to bear such a diverse array of techniques on this important medical problem we hope to gain the greatest insight possible into the functional correlates in vivo of well quantified molecular alterations. ..
- 2002 Symposium-Functional Genomics of Urogenital SystemGeorge Christ; Fiscal Year: 2003..Overall, we believe this conference will serve important scientific and educational ends and will stimulate new research in the basic understanding of urologic disorders in men and women. ..
- Alcohol & HIV/AIDS Risk-TakingWILLIAM GEORGE; Fiscal Year: 2005..In concert with personality and other factors, the data may inform key knowledge gaps, advance theory, and foster refinement of existing prevention approaches and formulation of new ones...
- Molecular Control of cGMP Signaling by PKGs and PDEsJackie Corbin; Fiscal Year: 2007..A thorough physical and biochemical characterization of PDE11 will be carded out, and the likelihood of regulation of this enzyme by ligand binding to its GAF domains or by enzyme phosphorylation will be explored. ..
- Actions of Immunophilins in Penile Nerve FunctionArthur Burnett; Fiscal Year: 2007..shown that the immunophilin ligand FK506 potently protects penile innervation from degeneration and preserves penile erection after cavernous nerve crush injury in a rat model...
- Erectile Dysfunction in Type II Diabetes: Role of AdiponectinKanchan Chitaley; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Molecular Mechanisms of PDE5 RegulationJackie Corbin; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results of these studies will provide a basis for understanding fundamental questions relating to cGMP signaling in many tissues. ..
- Development of Bioengineered Skeletal Muscle for Functional Replacement in vivoGEORGE JOSEPH CHRIST; Fiscal Year: 2010..Tissue engineering of skeletal muscle in vitro for functional tissue replacement in vivo may provide a potential therapeutic solution to this unmet medical need. ..
- N O S AND NEUROPATHIC AND ENDOTHELIAL INDUCED EDKevin McVary; Fiscal Year: 2002..recent evidence that nitric oxide (NO), a central and peripheral autonomic neurotransmitter and regulatory of penile erection, is decreased in diabetic rats...
- CANNABINOIDS AND THE HYPOTHALAMIC-PITUITARY-ADRENAL AXISLaura Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- MODULATING TOLERANCE FOR PROSTATE CANCER ANTIGEN VACCINEMartin Sanda; Fiscal Year: 2003..The outcome of these studies will help guide the development of effective immunization strategies targeting hormone-responsive TAA in human prostate and other cancers. ..
- Real-time multiphoton microscopy of periprostatic tissue architectureAshutosh K Tewari; Fiscal Year: 2010..The dynamic, high-resolution optical images achieved could empower cancer surgeons to better distinguish tissue morphology during surgery, leading to improved functional outcomes and quality of life for their patients. ..
- COLLABORATIVE R01-CARDIAC GRAFTS-FUNCTIONAL ANALYSESRobert Kloner; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- CHARACTERIZATION & TREATMENT OF CATEGORY III PROSTATITISJ Nickel; Fiscal Year: 2003..Results from this 3 part study will be analyzed and correlated between groups and within groups, both concurrently and sequentially. ..
- Biologic Ventricular Assist DeviceRobert Kloner; Fiscal Year: 2004..Identification and characterization of transplants will be carried out with PCR analysis of the Y chromosome (male cells into female host), detailed histologic analysis and immunostaining for muscle cell markers. ..
- ROLE OF ISCHEMIA IN BLADDER OVERACTIVITY AND FIBROSISMIKE SIROKY; Fiscal Year: 2003..Such enhanced understanding may lead to more effective diagnosis, treatment and perhaps even prevention of these problems. ..
- Regulation of Slo Splicing in the Urogenital SystmeKelvin Davies; Fiscal Year: 2006..This research project will allow Dr. Davies to develop a thorough understanding of urogenital physiology, while at the same time allowing him to utilize his experience in molecular biology. ..
- Neurophysiology and Biomechanics of Urethra in Stress Urinary IncontinenceNaoki Yoshimura; Fiscal Year: 2008..This is recognized as a high priority in the urologic/gynecologic care of SUI patients. [unreadable] [unreadable]..