Genomes and Genes
Summary: The process of laying or shedding fully developed eggs (OVA) from the female body. The term is usually used for certain INSECTS or FISHES with an organ called ovipositor where eggs are stored or deposited before expulsion from the body.
Publications378 found, 100 shown here
- Defensive function of herbivore-induced plant volatile emissions in natureA Kessler
Department of Molecular Ecology, Max-Planck-Institute for Chemical Ecology, Jena 07745, Germany
Science 291:2141-4. 2001..increased egg predation rates by a generalist predator; linalool and the complete blend decreased lepidopteran oviposition rates. As a consequence, a plant could reduce the number of herbivores by more than 90% by releasing volatiles...
- Odor-mediated behavior of Afrotropical malaria mosquitoesW Takken
Laboratory of Entomology, Wageningen Agricultural University, The Netherlands
Annu Rev Entomol 44:131-57. 1999..it is argued that there is good reason to assume that mating, sugar feeding, and oviposition behavior in Afrotropical malaria vectors may also be mediated by semiochemicals...
- Odorant-binding proteins OBP57d and OBP57e affect taste perception and host-plant preference in Drosophila sechelliaTakashi Matsuo
Department of Biological Sciences, Tokyo Metropolitan University, Hachioji, Tokyo, Japan
PLoS Biol 5:e118. 2007..Furthermore, the introduction of Obp57d and Obp57e from D. simulans and D. sechellia shifted the oviposition site preference of D...
- Caterpillar-induced nocturnal plant volatiles repel conspecific femalesC M De Moraes
USDA-ARS, CMAVE, PO Box 14565, Gainesville, Florida 32604, USA
Nature 410:577-80. 2001..blends and that lepidopteran herbivores use induced plant signals released during the dark phase to choose sites for oviposition adds a new dimension to our understanding of the role of chemical cues in mediating tritrophic interactions.
- Identification of bacteria and bacteria-associated chemical cues that mediate oviposition site preferences by Aedes aegyptiLoganathan Ponnusamy
Department of Entomology and W M Keck Center for Behavioral Biology, Box 7613, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695 7613, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:9262-7. 2008..b>Oviposition is stimulated by cues from water containers, but the nature and origin of these cues have not been elucidated...
- Maize landraces recruit egg and larval parasitoids in response to egg deposition by a herbivoreAmanuel Tamiru
Habitat Management Programme, International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology, PO Box 30, Mbita Point, Kenya
Ecol Lett 14:1075-83. 2011..Notably, however, the oviposition-induced release of parasitoid attractants was completely absent in commercial hybrid maize varieties...
- Drosophila egg-laying site selection as a system to study simple decision-making processesChung Hui Yang
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Physiology, Biochemistry, and Biophysics, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0725, USA
Science 319:1679-83. 2008..These findings suggest that selection of egg-laying site involves a simple decision-making process and provide an entry point toward a systematic dissection of this process...
- Crystal and solution structures of an odorant-binding protein from the southern house mosquito complexed with an oviposition pheromoneYang Mao
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:19102-7. 2010..Louis encephalitis, and other diseases into humans. Currently, traps baited with oviposition semiochemicals play an important role in detection efforts and could provide an environmentally friendly ..
- Oviposition by pierid butterflies triggers defense responses in ArabidopsisDawn Little
Department of Plant Molecular Biology, University of Lausanne, 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Plant Physiol 143:784-800. 2007..a whole-genome microarray, we studied the expression profile of Arabidopsis (Arabidopsis thaliana) leaves after oviposition by two pierid butterflies...
- Oviposition responses of the mosquitoes Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus to experimental plant infusions in laboratory bioassaysLoganathan Ponnusamy
Department of Entomology, North Carolina State University, Box 7647, Raleigh, NC 27695, USA
J Chem Ecol 36:709-19. 2010..infusion than to white oak leaf infusion that was prepared using sterilized plant material and water, thus suggesting a role for microbial activity in the production of odorants that mediate the oviposition response of gravid mosquitoes.
- Characteristics of grass infusions as oviposition attractants to Aedes (Stegomyia) (Diptera: Culicidae)Adson L Santana
Department of Parasitology, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais State, 31 270 901, Brazil
J Med Entomol 43:214-20. 2006Ovitraps baited with grass infusions were evaluated in the field as oviposition attractants or stimulants for Aedes (Stegomyia) mosquitoes. Significantly higher oviposition by Aedes aegypti (L...
- Plants and insect eggs: how do they affect each other?Monika Hilker
Freie Universitat Berlin, Institute of Biology, Applied Zoology Animal Ecology, Haderslebener Str 9, D 12163 Berlin, Germany
Phytochemistry 72:1612-23. 2011..Effects of plants on insect oviposition by contact and olfactory plant cues are summarised...
- Electric nets and sticky materials for analysing oviposition behaviour of gravid malaria vectorsSisay Dugassa
Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology Thomas Odhiambo Campus, Mbita, Kenya
Malar J 11:374. 2012Little is known about how malaria mosquitoes locate oviposition sites in nature. Such knowledge is important to help devise monitoring and control measures that could be used to target gravid females...
- Plant species- and status-specific odorant blends guide oviposition choice in the moth Manduca sextaAnna Späthe
Department of Evolutionary Neuroethology, Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology, Hans Knoell Strasse 8, D 07745 Jena, Germany
Chem Senses 38:147-59. 2013The reproductive success of herbivorous insects largely depends on the mother's oviposition preference. In nocturnal insects, olfaction is arguably the most important sensory modality mediating mate finding, foraging, and host location...
- Electroantennogram, flight orientation, and oviposition responses of Aedes aegypti to the oviposition pheromone n-heneicosaneT Seenivasagan
Defence Research and Development Establishment, Jhansi Road, Gwalior 474 002 MP, India
Parasitol Res 104:827-33. 2009b>Oviposition pheromones specifically influence the females of many insects to lay eggs in the sites resulting in more egg deposition...
- Oviposition behavior of female Anopheles gambiae in western Kenya inferred from microsatellite markersHong Chen
Program in Public Health, College of Health Sciences, University of California, Irvine, 92697, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 75:246-50. 2006..These results substantiate that one A. gambiae female uses multiple breeding sites for oviposition, and thus, average genetic relatedness for breeding sites with high larval populations tends to be low.
- Regulation of oviposition in Anopheles gambiae s.s.: role of inter- and intra-specific signalsLeunita A Sumba
International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology ICIPE, P O Box 30772 00100, Nairobi, Kenya
J Chem Ecol 34:1430-6. 2008..We compared oviposition levels on preferred (water collected from natural anopheline larval habitats) and non-preferred (distilled ..
- Building a better ovitrap for detecting Aedes aegypti ovipositionAudrey E Lenhart
Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Pembroke Place, UK
Acta Trop 96:56-9. 2005
- A gustatory receptor involved in host plant recognition for oviposition of a swallowtail butterflyKatsuhisa Ozaki
JT Biohistory Research Hall, Takatsuki, Osaka, Japan
Nat Commun 2:542. 2011..Papilio xuthus, uses a gustatory receptor specific for synephrine to select its host in oviposition behaviour...
- Is quality more important than quantity? Insect behavioural responses to changes in a volatile blend after stemborer oviposition on an African grassToby J A Bruce
Rothamsted Research, Harpenden, Herts AL5 2JQ, UK
Biol Lett 6:314-7. 2010..A marked reduction in emission of the main volatile, (Z)-3-hexenyl acetate (Z3HA), occurred following oviposition but the ratio of certain other minor component volatiles to Z3HA was increased...
- Formation of simple nitriles upon glucosinolate hydrolysis affects direct and indirect defense against the specialist herbivore, Pieris rapaeRoland Mumm
Laboratory of Entomology, Wageningen University, 6700 EH, Wageningen, The Netherlands
J Chem Ecol 34:1311-21. 2008..Thus, the production of simple nitriles instead of isothiocyanates, as catalyzed by ESP, can promote both direct and indirect defense against the specialist herbivore P. rapae...
- Cytosine methylation regulates oviposition in the pathogenic blood fluke Schistosoma mansoniKathrin K Geyer
Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences IBERS, Aberystwyth University, Penglais Campus, Aberystwyth SY23 3DA, UK
Nat Commun 2:424. 2011..These findings provide the first functional confirmation for this epigenetic modification in any worm species and link the cytosine methylation machinery to platyhelminth oviposition processes.
- Role of glucosinolates in insect-plant relationships and multitrophic interactionsRichard J Hopkins
Department of Ecology, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala S 750 07, Sweden
Annu Rev Entomol 54:57-83. 2009..Plant breeders may use knowledge on glucosinolates to increase insect resistance in Brassica crops. State-of-the-art techniques, such as mutant analysis and metabolomics, are necessary to identify the exact role of glucosinolates...
- The sex peptide of Drosophila melanogaster: female post-mating responses analyzed by using RNA interferenceTracey Chapman
Department of Biology, Darwin Building, and Wolfson Institute for Biomedical Research, Cruciform Building, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:9923-8. 2003..The prolonged "sperm effect" on female receptivity and egg production is therefore entirely attributable to SP, but sperm are necessary for its occurrence...
- Reduced levels of volatile emissions in jasmonate-deficient spr2 tomato mutants favour oviposition by insect herbivoresCarla Sánchez-Hernández
Centro de Investigación y de Estudios Avanzados del IPN Unidad Irapuato, Km 9 6 Libramiento Norte Carretera Irapuato, Leon, Irapuato, Gto, Mexico
Plant Cell Environ 29:546-57. 2006..Bioassays with two different insects showed that adult females significantly preferred spr2 plants, indicating that lowered levels of VOCs in tomato influence plant selection by insects during oviposition.
- Early herbivore alert: insect eggs induce plant defenseMonika Hilker
Freie Universitat Berlin, Institut fur Biologie, Germany
J Chem Ecol 32:1379-97. 2006..eggs, and microorganisms are also abundant on the leaf surface, the role of these hidden players for eliciting oviposition-induced plant responses is considered...
- Sex peptide is required for the efficient release of stored sperm in mated Drosophila femalesFrank W Avila
Department of Biology, Gustavus Adolphus College, St Peter, MN 56082, USA
Genetics 186:595-600. 2010..Our findings illustrate a direct role for SP in the release of sperm from storage...
- Oviposition site preference and egg hatchability of Anopheles gambiae: effects of land cover typesStephen Munga
Kenya Medical Research Institute, Kisumu, Kenya
J Med Entomol 42:993-7. 2005We studied the oviposition site preference and egg hatchability of Anopheles gambiae Giles with water collected from farmlands, forests, and natural wetlands. Water types significantly affected oviposition preference...
- Laboratory and field evaluation of an oviposition trap for Culex quinquefasciatus (Diptera: Culicidae)Rosângela M R Barbosa
Departamento de Entomologia, Centro de Pesquisa Aggeu Magalhães, FIOCRUZ, Recife, PE, 50670 420, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 102:523-9. 2007..Attractants were assayed using alternative chamber bioassays prior to being used in the BR-OVT oviposition trap...
- Impact of a bifenthrin-treated lethal ovitrap on Aedes aegypti oviposition and mortality in north Queensland, AustraliaCraig R Williams
School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, James Cook University, P O Box 6811, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia
J Med Entomol 44:256-62. 2007..aegypti in north Queensland, Australia, by quantifying oviposition in and mortality caused by LOs. Small cage experiments in which individual gravid Ae...
- The effects of oviposition-site deprivation on Anopheles gambiae reproductionKathryne L Dieter
Laboratory of Malaria and Vector Research, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, 12735 Twinbrook Parkway, Room 2W 09 C, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Parasit Vectors 5:235. 2012The African malaria mosquito, Anopheles gambiae, depends on availability of suitable surface water for oviposition. Short and long dry spells occur throughout the year in many parts of its range that limit its access to oviposition sites...
- Seasonal weather, nutrients, and conspecific presence impacts on the southern house mosquito oviposition dynamics in combined sewage overflowsAn T Nguyen
Department of Environmental Studies, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Med Entomol 49:1328-38. 2012..Further analyses suggest that temperature may also play a role in seasonal oviposition patterns...
- Insect eggs suppress plant defence against chewing herbivoresFriederike Bruessow
Department of Plant Molecular Biology, University of Lausanne, CH 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Plant J 62:876-85. 2010..However, whether eggs can manipulate plant defence is unknown. In Arabidopsis thaliana, oviposition by the butterfly Pieris brassicae triggers cellular and molecular changes that are similar to the changes ..
- Predator-released hydrocarbons repel oviposition by a mosquitoAlon Silberbush
Community Ecology Laboratory, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Department of Evolutionary and Environmental Biology, Institute of Evolution, University of Haifa, Haifa 31905, Israel
Ecol Lett 13:1129-38. 2010..longiareolata. In behavioural tests with environmentally relevant chemical concentrations in outdoor mesocosm experiments, the repellent effects of the two compounds were additive at the tested concentrations...
- A Drosophila seminal fluid protein, Acp26Aa, stimulates egg laying in females for 1 day after matingL A Herndon
Section of Genetics and Development, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853 2703, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92:10114-8. 1995..This effect is apparent only on the first day after mating. The null mutation has no other detectable physiological or behavioral effects on the male or the mated female...
- Effect of some animal feeds and oviposition substrates on Aedes oviposition in ovitraps in Cairns, AustraliaS A Ritchie
Tropical Public Health Unit, Queensland Health, PO Box 1103, Cairns 4870, Queensland, Australia
J Am Mosq Control Assoc 17:206-8. 2001..A wooden tongue depressor collected comparable number of Aedes eggs as a Masonite board and seed germination paper...
- Reduction of ethylene emission from Scots pine elicited by insect egg secretionRoland Schröder
Freie Universitat Berlin, Institute of Biology, Haderslebener Str 9, D 12163 Berlin, Germany
J Exp Bot 58:1835-42. 2007..Ethylene emissions from pine after the various treatments studied here are discussed with respect to known effects of insect feeding on ethylene release from plants...
- Weather variability impacts on oviposition dynamics of the southern house mosquito at intermediate time scalesL F Chaves
Department of Environmental Studies, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Bull Entomol Res 101:633-41. 2011b>Oviposition is a major event in the life history of mosquitoes, shaping both individual fitness and vectorial capacity...
- Effect of host kairomones and oviposition experience on the arrestment behavior of an egg parasitoidEzio Peri
Dipartimento di Scienze Entomologiche, Fitopatologiche, Microbiologiche Agrarie e Zootecniche Sezione di Entomologia, Acarologia e Zoologia, Universita di Palermo, Viale delle Scienze, Palermo 90128, Italy
J Exp Biol 209:3629-35. 2006..In this study, we quantified how the hierarchical value of residues from host adults and oviposition experience can influence the arrestment behavior of T. basalis females...
- Significance of bacteria in oviposition and larval development of the sand fly Lutzomyia longipalpisKamila Peterkova-Koci
Department of Entomology, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS, USA
Parasit Vectors 5:145. 2012..In this study, we assessed the significance of the microbial community of rabbit feces in oviposition and larval development of Lutzomyia longipalpis as well as bacterial colonization of the gut of freshly emerged ..
- Linking oviposition site choice to offspring fitness in Aedes aegypti: consequences for targeted larval control of dengue vectorsJacklyn Wong
Department of Entomology, University of California Davis, Davis, California, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1632. 2012..The population-level outcome of this strategy, however, will depend on details of Ae. aegypti oviposition behavior.
- Polarotaxis in egg-laying yellow fever mosquitoes Aedes (Stegomyia) aegypti is masked due to infochemicalsBalázs Bernáth
Faculty of Engineering and Sciences, Jacobs University Bremen, Campus Ring 6, D 28759 Bremen, Germany
J Insect Physiol 58:1000-6. 2012..Ae. aegypti is the first known water-associated insect in which polarotaxis exists, but does not play a dominant role in locating water bodies and can be constrained in the presence of chemical cues...
- Laboratory tests of oviposition by the African malaria mosquito, Anopheles gambiae, on dark soil as influenced by presence or absence of vegetationJuan Huang
Department of Entomology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48823, USA
Malar J 5:88. 2006Physical objects like vegetation can influence oviposition by mosquitoes on soil or water substrates. Anopheles gambiae s. l...
- Multifaceted determinants of host specificity in an aphid parasitoidNicolas Desneux
Department of Entomology, University of Minnesota, 1980 Folwell Avenue, Saint Paul, MN 55108, USA
Oecologia 160:387-98. 2009..This research highlights the multifaceted nature of factors determining host specificity in parasitoids...
- First proteome of the egg perivitelline fluid of a freshwater gastropod with aerial ovipositionJin Sun
Department of Biology, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong, China
J Proteome Res 11:4240-8. 2012..Characterization of the PVF proteome has opened the gate for further studies aiming to understand the evolution of the novel proteins and their contribution to the switch to aerial oviposition.
- Egg laying decisions in Drosophila are consistent with foraging costs of larval progenyNicholas U Schwartz
Neuroscience Program, Trinity College of Arts and Sciences, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e37910. 2012..b>Oviposition site selection by the female fly, Drosophila melanogaster, has been suggested to be a simple and genetically ..
- Combined sewage overflow enhances oviposition of Culex quinquefasciatus (Diptera: Culicidae) in urban areasLuis Fernando Chaves
Department of Environmental Studies, Emory University, 400 Dowman Drive, Suite E510, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Med Entomol 46:220-6. 2009..Here, we study the effects of combined sewage overflows (CSOs) from urban streams in Atlanta, GA, on oviposition site selection by Culex quinquefasciatus under seminatural field conditions...
- Increased oceanic microplastic debris enhances oviposition in an endemic pelagic insectMiriam C Goldstein
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Biol Lett 8:817-20. 2012..and that this increase has released the pelagic insect Halobates sericeus from substrate limitation for oviposition. High concentrations of microplastic in the NPSG resulted in a positive correlation between H...
- Water vapour is a pre-oviposition attractant for the malaria vector Anopheles gambiae sensu strictoMichael N Okal
icipe Thomas Odhiambo Campus, Mbita, Kenya
Malar J 12:365. 2013To date no semiochemicals affecting the pre-oviposition behaviour of the malaria vector Anopheles gambiae sensu lato have been described...
- Insect eggs can enhance wound response in plants: a study system of tomato Solanum lycopersicum L. and Helicoverpa zea BoddieJinwon Kim
Department of Entomology, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e37420. 2012Insect oviposition on plants frequently precedes herbivory. Accumulating evidence indicates that plants recognize insect oviposition and elicit direct or indirect defenses to reduce the pressure of future herbivory...
- The susceptibility of small fruits and cherries to the spotted-wing drosophila, Drosophila suzukiiJana C Lee
USDA ARS Horticultural Crops Research Unit, Corvallis, OR 97330, USA
Pest Manag Sci 67:1358-67. 2011..The aim of this study was to evaluate the susceptibility of blackberries, blueberries, cherries, grapes, raspberries and strawberries to D. suzukii among various ripeness stages and cultivars...
- Effects of temperature on photoperiodically induced reproductive development, circulating plasma luteinizing hormone and thyroid hormones, body mass, fat deposition and molt in mountain white-crowned sparrows, Zonotrichia leucophrys orianthaJohn C Wingfield
Department of Zoology, Box 351800, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Gen Comp Endocrinol 131:143-58. 2003..These results demonstrate that ambient temperature significantly affected photoperiodically induced gonadal development and regression in these birds. The endocrine mechanisms underlying these effects require further study...
- Predation, development, and oviposition by the predatory mite Amblyseius swirkii (Acari: Phytoseiidae) on tomato russet mite (Acari: Eriophyidae)Hong Hyun Park
Greenhouse and Processing Crops Research Centre, Harrow, Ontario N0R 1G0, Canada
J Econ Entomol 103:563-9. 2010Predation, development, and oviposition experiments were conducted to evaluate Amblyseius swirskii (Athias-Henriot) (Acari: Phytoseiidae) as a potential biological control agent for tomato russet mite, Aculops lycopersici (Massee) (Acari:..
- Insecticidal, repellent and oviposition-deterrent activity of selected essential oils against Anopheles stephensi, Aedes aegypti and Culex quinquefasciatusVeena Prajapati
Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants, P O CIMAP, Lucknow, India
Bioresour Technol 96:1749-57. 2005Essential oils extracted from 10 medicinal plants were evaluated for larvicidal, adulticidal, ovicidal, oviposition-deterrent and repellent activities towards three mosquito species; Anopheles stephensi, Aedes aegypti and Culex ..
- Comparative demography of isogenic populations of Caenorhabditis elegansJ Chen
Department of Nematology, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Exp Gerontol 36:431-40. 2001..elegans, and (ii) the relationship between reproduction and longevity differs among isogenic populations with specific longevity genes...
- Cues of intraguild predators affect the distribution of intraguild preyYasuyuki Choh
Section of Population Biology, Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics, University of Amsterdam, Science Park 904, 1098 XH, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Oecologia 163:335-40. 2010..Hence, IG-prey changed their distribution and oviposition in response to cues of IG-predators...
- Insect egg deposition induces indirect defense and epicuticular wax changes in Arabidopsis thalianaBeatrice Blenn
Institute of Biology, Freie Universitat Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Chem Ecol 38:882-92. 2012..The ecological relevance of this finding is discussed with respect to its impact on the behavior of egg parasitoids...
- Experimental evidence for density-dependent reproduction in a cooperatively breeding passerineLyanne Brouwer
Evolutionary Ecology Group, School of Botany and Zoology, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT 0200 Australia
Ecology 90:729-41. 2009..Islands with the highest insect densities also had the highest bird densities and the largest breeding groups. Consequently, we suggest that the density-dependent effect on reproduction is caused by competition for food...
- Comparative effects of permethrin-impregnated bednets and DDT house spraying on survival rates and oviposition interval of Anopheles farauti No. 1 (Diptera:Culicidae) in Solomon IslandsJ L Hii
Department of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, James Cook University, Townsville, QLD, Australia
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 89:521-9. 1995..There was no difference in the estimated survival rates between the untreated and DDT-sprayed villages. The oviposition cycle was extended to 4 days in the permethrin-treated village compared with 3 days in the other villages...
- Oviposition site selection by the dengue vector Aedes aegypti and its implications for dengue controlJacklyn Wong
Department of Entomology, University of California Davis, Davis, California, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1015. 2011..that population dynamics are regulated by density-dependent larval competition for food and little affected by oviposition behavior...
- Oviposition habitat selection in response to risk of predation in temporary pools: mode of detection and consistency across experimental venueLeon Blaustein
Community Ecology Laboratory, Institute of Evolution, University of Haifa, 31905 Haifa, Israel
Oecologia 138:300-5. 2004..Despite the large consequences of such oviposition behavior for individual fitness, population dynamics, and community structure, relatively few studies have ..
- Effects of larval competitors and predators on oviposition site selection of Anopheles gambiae sensu strictoStephen Munga
Kenya Medical Research Institute, Kisumu, Kenya
J Med Entomol 43:221-4. 2006We examined whether predators and competitors influence selection of oviposition sites by Anopheles gambiae Giles. Mosquitoes in cages laid significantly fewer eggs in rainwater conditioned with a predator (backswimmers, Notonecta sp...
- Impact of genetic manipulation on the fitness of Anopheles stephensi mosquitoesFlaminia Catteruccia
Department of Biological Sciences, SAF Building, Imperial College London, South Kensington Campus, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Science 299:1225-7. 2003..The results indicate direct costs of the introduced transgene in at least three out of the four lines, as well as an apparent cost of the inbreeding involved in making transgenic homozygotes...
- Influence of container size, location, and time of day on oviposition patterns of the dengue vector, Aedes aegypti, in ThailandL C Harrington
Department of Entomology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 8:415-23. 2008We conducted a study to determine the effect of container size and location on oviposition site selection by Ae. aegypti in large outdoor field enclosures (10 x 10 x 4 m high)...
- A male accessory gland peptide that regulates reproductive behavior of female D. melanogasterP S Chen
Institute of Zoology, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Cell 54:291-8. 1988..melanogaster synthesize and secrete a peptide that represses female sexual receptivity and stimulates oviposition. Normally, this peptide is transferred to females during copulation; however, the peptide shows the same ..
- Bruchins: insect-derived plant regulators that stimulate neoplasm formationR P Doss
Horticultural Crops Research Unit, United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Corvallis, OR 97330, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:6218-23. 2000Pea weevil (Bruchus pisorum L.) oviposition on pods of specific genetic lines of pea (Pisum sativum L.) stimulates cell division at the sites of egg attachment...
- Transstadial and horizontal transfer of bacteria within a colony of Anopheles gambiae (Diptera: Culicidae) and oviposition response to bacteria-containing waterJ M Lindh
Department of Genetics, Microbiology and Toxicology, Stockholm University, Stockholm S 10691, Sweden
Acta Trop 107:242-50. 2008..stewartii. A bioassay was used to examine An. gambiae oviposition responses towards bacteria-containing solutions...
- A meta-analysis of preference-performance relationships in phytophagous insectsSofia Gripenberg
Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PS, UK
Ecol Lett 13:383-93. 2010..To improve the situation, we invite authors to contribute to the data base emerging from this work, with the aim of reaching a strengthened synthesis of the subject field...
- An autodissemination station for the transfer of an insect growth regulator to mosquito oviposition sitesR Gaugler
Center for Vector Biology, Rutgers University, 180 Jones Avenue, New Brunswick, NJ 08901 8536, U S A
Med Vet Entomol 26:37-45. 2012A prototype autodissemination station to topically contaminate oviposition-seeking container-dwelling mosquitoes with the insect growth regulator, pyriproxyfen, was developed and tested in the laboratory...
- Resistance to the two-spotted spider mite (Tetranychus urticae) by acylsucroses of wild tomato (Solanum pimpinellifolium) trichomes studied in a recombinant inbred line populationJuan Manuel Alba
Estacion Experimental La Mayora CSIC, Algarrobo Costa, 29760, Malaga, Spain
Exp Appl Acarol 47:35-47. 2009..and acylsucrose production) and the functional relationships of these traits with mortality, repellence, and oviposition of Tetranychus urticae Koch (Acari: Tetranychidae)...
- An adulticidal sticky ovitrap for sampling container-breeding mosquitoesScott A Ritchie
Tropical Public Health Unit, Queensland Health, PO Box 1103, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia
J Am Mosq Control Assoc 19:235-42. 2003....
- Male-derived butterfly anti-aphrodisiac mediates induced indirect plant defenseNina E Fatouros
Department of Plant Sciences, Laboratory of Entomology, Wageningen University, PO Box 8031, 6700 EH Wageningen, The Netherlands
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:10033-8. 2008..b>Oviposition by the Large Cabbage White butterfly Pieris brassicae on Brussels sprout plants induces phytochemical changes ..
- Study of the relationship between Aedes (Stegomyia) aegypti egg and adult densities, dengue fever and climate in Mirassol, state of São Paulo, BrazilMargareth Regina Dibo
Superintendencia de Controle de Endemias, Sao Jose do Rio Preto, SP, Brazil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 103:554-60. 2008..Weekly collections of adults and eggs were made using, respectively, manual aspirators and oviposition traps that produced four entomological indices (positivity and average of females and eggs)...
- Indole-3-acetonitrile production from indole glucosinolates deters oviposition by Pieris rapaeMartin De Vos
Boyce Thompson Institute for Plant Research, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Plant Physiol 146:916-26. 2008Like many crucifer-specialist herbivores, Pieris rapae uses the presence of glucosinolates as a signal for oviposition and larval feeding...
- Geographic distribution and developmental sites of Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae) during a Chikungunya epidemic eventH Delatte
Research Unit 016, Institut de recherche pour le developpement IRD, 7 chemin de l IRAT, 97410 Saint Pierre, La Reunion, France
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 8:25-34. 2008..Our data will provide input into the models of the epidemiology of the disease and design of vector control programs...
- Sampling considerations for designing Aedes aegypti (Diptera:Culicidae) oviposition studies in Iquitos, Peru: substrate preference, diurnal periodicity, and gonotrophic cycle lengthJacklyn Wong
Department of Entomology, University of California, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Med Entomol 48:45-52. 2011..eggs from naturally-occurring containers to investigate selective oviposition, failure to take into account certain aspects of Ae. aegypti behavior can bias study inferences...
- Enforced altruism in insect societiesTom Wenseleers
Institute for Advanced Study, 14193 Berlin, Germany
Nature 444:50. 2006..Cooperation among workers and their seeming altruism result from strict policing by nestmates...
- Targeted gene deletion and phenotypic analysis of the Drosophila melanogaster seminal fluid protease inhibitor Acp62FJacob L Mueller
School of Biological Sciences, University of East Anglia, Norwich NR4 7TJ, United Kingdom
Genetics 178:1605-14. 2008..In addition, the processing of at least one seminal protein, the ovulation hormone ovulin, is slower in the absence of Acp62F...
- A simple and efficient tool for trapping gravid Anopheles at breeding sitesCaroline Harris
Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Pembroke Place, Liverpool, L3 5QA, UK
Parasit Vectors 4:125. 2011..No effective tool currently exists for trapping ovipositing malaria vectors. This creates a gap in our ability to investigate the behavior and ecology of gravid Anopheles...
- Learning and memory in disease vectorsP J McCall
Division of Parasite and Vector Biology, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Pembroke Place, L3 5QA, Liverpool, UK
Trends Parasitol 18:429-33. 2002..Several recent studies have shown that behaviour during oviposition site-selection, host location and even host choice can be influenced by the environment or by experience after ..
- Ovipositional site selection by Anopheles gambiae: influences of substrate moisture and textureJ Huang
Department of Entomology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Med Vet Entomol 19:442-50. 2005The influence of substrate moisture (hydration) and grain size (texture) on oviposition was quantified in choice tests using Anopheles gambiae sensu stricto Giles (Diptera: Culicidae) laboratory strains and gravid An...
- Control of oocyte maturation in sexually mature Drosophila femalesM Soller
Zoologisches Institut, Universitat Zurich Irchel, Winterthurerstrasse 190, Zurich, CH 8057, Switzerland
Dev Biol 208:337-51. 1999In many sexually mature insects egg production and oviposition are tightly coupled to copulation...
- Rapid adaptation to a novel host in a seed beetle (Callosobruchus maculatus): the role of sexual selectionClaudia Fricke
Evolutionary Biology Centre, Department of Ecology and Evolution, Animal Ecology, Uppsala University, Norbyvagen 18D, SE 752 36 Uppsala, Sweden
Evolution 61:440-54. 2007..This, in turn, is associated with adaptive evolution of female oviposition behavior and larval feeding biology...
- A plant notices insect egg deposition and changes its rate of photosynthesisRoland Schröder
Institute of Biology, Freie Universitat Berlin, D 12163 Berlin, Germany
Plant Physiol 138:470-7. 2005..e. systemically oviposition-induced twigs) for a period of 3 d starting after egg deposition...
- Horizontal transfer of the insect growth regulator pyriproxyfen to larval microcosms by gravid Aedes albopictus and Ochlerotatus triseriatus mosquitoes in the laboratoryB Dell Chism
Department of Entomology, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695 7647, U S A
Med Vet Entomol 17:211-20. 2003..Using replicate bioassay cages, each with an oviposition container, and a factorial experimental design, we assessed Ae...
- The genetics of caloric restriction in Caenorhabditis elegansB Lakowski
Department of Biology, McGill University, 1205 Dr Penfield Avenue, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 1B1
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:13091-6. 1998..In contrast, we find that food restriction does not further increase the life span of long-lived clk-1 mutants, suggesting that clk-1 and caloric restriction affect similar processes...
- Amino-acid imbalance explains extension of lifespan by dietary restriction in DrosophilaRichard C Grandison
Institute of Healthy Ageing, Department of Genetics Evolution and Environment, University College London, UK
Nature 462:1061-4. 2009..In other organisms, including mammals, it may be possible to obtain the benefits to lifespan of dietary restriction without incurring a reduction in fecundity, through a suitable balance of nutrients in the diet...
- Learning and memory in the mosquito Aedes aegypti shown by conditioning against oviposition deterrenceJ S Kaur
Environmental Health Institute, National Environment Agency, Singapore
Med Vet Entomol 17:457-60. 2003b>Oviposition site choice by female mosquitoes, Aedes aegypti (L) (Diptera: Culicidae), was affected by rearing them in water treated with 0.016% of the repellent Mozaway trade mark containing citronella and neem...
- Validation of a modified PCR-based method for identifying mutant restricted ovulator chickens: substantiation of genotypic classification by phenotypic traitsR G Elkin
Department of Animal Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907, USA
Poult Sci 82:517-25. 2003....
- Chemical analysis of volatiles emitted by Pinus svlvestris after induction by insect ovipositionRoland Mumm
Institute of Biology, Freie Universitat Berlin, Haderslebener Str 9, 12163 Berlin, Germany
J Chem Ecol 29:1235-52. 2003..The odor blend of systemically oviposition-induced pine twigs...
- A lethal ovitrap-based mass trapping scheme for dengue control in Australia: I. Public acceptability and performance of lethal ovitrapsS A Ritchie
School of Public Health, Tropical Medicine and Rehabilitation Sciences, James Cook University, Cairns, QLD 4870, Australia
Med Vet Entomol 23:295-302. 2009..These results indicate that mass trapping schemes using SLOs and BLOs are not rejected by the public and effectively target gravid Ae. aegypti. The impact of the interventions on mosquito populations is described in a companion paper...
- Superparasitism of larval hosts by the walnut fly, Rhagoletis juglandis, and its implications for female and offspring performanceCésar R Nufio
Department of Entomology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
Oecologia 141:460-7. 2004The oviposition-preference-offspring-performance hypothesis predicts that female insects should prefer to deposit clutches on or in hosts that maximize offspring performance...
- Natural variation in decision-making behavior in Drosophila melanogasterPaige M Miller
Ecology, Evolution, and Marine Biology Department, University of California Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e16436. 2011..the overall concentration of ethanol, suggesting Drosophila integrate many environmental factors when making oviposition decisions...
- Analysis of volatiles induced by oviposition of elm leaf beetle Xanthogaleruca luteola on Ulmus minorR Wegener
Institute of Organic Chemistry, , Hagenring 30, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
J Chem Ecol 27:499-515. 2001..This indicates that jasmonic acid stimulates the production of terpenoid hydrocarbons that convey information of egg deposition to the parasitoid...
- Hormonal induction of spermiation, courting behavior and spawning in the southern bell frog, Litoria raniformisReinier M Mann
Centre for Ecotoxicology, Department of Environmental Sciences, University of Technology, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Zoo Biol 29:774-82. 2010..human chorionic gonadotropin, progesterone, and a dopamine receptor antagonist failed to promote oviposition and spawning in females...
- Metabolic costs of egg production in the European starling (Sturnus vulgaris)François Vézina
Department of Biological Sciences, Simon Fraser University, 8888 University Drive, Burnaby, British Columbia V5A 1S6, Canada
Physiol Biochem Zool 75:377-85. 2002....
- Novel pink bollworm resistance to the Bt toxin Cry 1Ac: effects on mating, oviposition, larval development and survivalJ A Fabrick
USDA ARS, Arid Land Agricultural Research Center, Maricopa, AZ 85238, USA
J Insect Sci 9:24. 2009..The combined results suggest a mechanism of resistance to Cry1Ac that is different from previously described cadherin mutations...
- Dry season reproductive depression of Anopheles gambiae in the SahelAlpha S Yaro
Malaria Research and Training Center Faculty of Medicine, Pharmacy and Odonto Stomatology, Bamako, Mali
J Insect Physiol 58:1050-9. 2012..if reproduction of the Sahelian M form is depressed during the dry season, we assessed seasonal changes in oviposition, egg batch size, and egg development, as well as insemination rate and blood feeding in wild caught mosquitoes...
- Investigation of palpation as a method for determining the prevalence of keel and furculum damage in laying hensL J Wilkins
Department of Clinical Veterinary Science, University of Bristol, Bristol BS40 5DU
Vet Rec 155:547-9. 2004..The results obtained by dissection indicated that 50 to 78 per cent of the birds in the flocks had breaks of the furculum and keel, but no other breaks of bones were detected...
- Optimisation of an oviposition protocol employing human chorionic and pregnant mare serum gonadotropins in the barred frog Mixophyes fasciolatus (Myobatrachidae)John Clulow
School of Environmental and Life Sciences, University of Newcastle, Callaghan Drive, Callaghan, NSW, 2308, Australia
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 10:60. 2012Protocols for the hormonal induction of ovulation and oviposition are essential tools for managing threatened amphibians with assisted reproduction, but responses vary greatly between species and even broad taxon groups...
- Influence of feeding and oviposition by phytophagous pentatomids on photosynthesis of herbaceous plantsVioleta Velikova
Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Institute of Plant Physiology, Acad G Bonchev Str, Bl 21, Sofia 1113, Bulgaria
J Chem Ecol 36:629-41. 2010Feeding by herbivorous insects may change photosynthetic activity of host plants. We studied how feeding and oviposition by herbivorous stink bugs, Murgantia histrionica and Nezara viridula (Heteroptera: Pentatomidae), affect ..
- Development of an autodissemination station for control of mosquito vectorsYi Wang; Fiscal Year: 2012..The target mosquito species exhibit what is known as "skip oviposition," meaning that they deposit eggs from a single clutch in multiple containers...
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF OLFACTION IN DROSOPHILATrudy F Mackay; Fiscal Year: 2013..is essential for food localization, avoidance of toxins or predators, and assessment of mating partners and oviposition sites...
- Environmental filters and medically important container mosquitoesDonald A Yee; Fiscal Year: 2011..found in these human-associated habitats are the result of two separate but related processes: female oviposition and larval survival...
- Examination of Odorant Receptors in Vector MosquitoesLaurence J Zwiebel; Fiscal Year: 2013..In particular, olfaction plays a major role in host seeking and oviposition selection behaviors of blood-feeding female mosquitoes and, as such, constitutes a critical component of the ..
- Studying the oviposition of Anopheles gambiae: the development of novel tools forSteve Lindsay; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specifically we propose to test: (1) if bacteria-generated volatiles from aquatic habitats function as oviposition semiochemicals;(2) whether the bacterial communities and chemicals released from and present in stagnant water ..
- Olfactory protein-based screening of oviposition attractants for Culex mosquitoesWalter S Leal; Fiscal Year: 2013..Females of the Southern House mosquito, Culex quinquefasciatus, rely on environmental cues, also known as oviposition attractants (OAs), to locate suitable sites for laying eggs...
- Ochlerotatus japonicus: Ecology of an Invasive MosquitoRICHARD FALCO; Fiscal Year: 2005..japonicus in urban areas. Specifically, we will: 1) Determine and compare oviposition and larval habitat preferences for Oc...
- PARASITIC CASTRATION IN SNAILS--ROLE OF BIOGENIC AMINESTIMOTHY YOSHINO; Fiscal Year: 1999..snails by larval trematodes, which manifests itself as histopathological changes in the gonads and/or lowered oviposition, represents one of the most dramatic examples of how parasites are capable of modifying the host's internal ..
- Biochemistry of Chorion Hardening in MosquitoesJianyong Li; Fiscal Year: 2005..After oviposition, the chorion hardens in 3-4 hours in a moist environment, and a hardened chorion provides protection for the ..
- CHEMISTRY OF ARTHROPOD SECRETIONSJerrold Meinwald; Fiscal Year: 2007..for biological screening; the characterization of a predator-produced kairomone which inhibits mosquito oviposition; a search for new anti-insect agents from insect larvae and pupae; elucidation of the structures of new ..
- Control of Urban and Peri-urban Culex MosquitoesGregory Lanzaro; Fiscal Year: 2007..Candidate attractants including a homochiral "oviposition attractant" will be evaluated and chemical prospecting for novel attractants will be conducted using state-of-..
- Technology for automated real-time counting and identification of adult mosquitoePHILIPP KIRSCH; Fiscal Year: 2007..baited traps, with or without light) or adult oviposition behaviour (Culex gravid traps, Aedes ovitraps)...
- Microbial Mediation of Habitat Selection and ProductionEdward Walker; Fiscal Year: 2006..heterogeneity is due to aggregated production of adult mosquitoes from larval habitats, which is a function of oviposition site selection and larval habitat production...
- CONTROL OF URBAN CONTAINER BREEDING ARBROVIRUS VECTORSDawn Wesson; Fiscal Year: 2007..objective of proposed research to be accomplished by personnel at Tulane University is to characterize and map oviposition behavior in Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus in the New Orleans area, while monitoring for insecticide ..
- Nutritional Ecology of Adult Anopheles gambiaeWOODBRIDGE FOSTER; Fiscal Year: 2006..5) whether sugar-feeding frequency changes with age, female gonotrophic state, or availability of blood and oviposition sites, and 6) to what extent dietary sugar affects male insemination capacity...
- FOURIER AND EIGENSHAPE ANALYSIS OF MOSQUITO EGG SHAPELARRY PAPPAS; Fiscal Year: 1992..with the egg stage which can be used to identify species of Aedes which utilize treeholes and containers for oviposition and larval development...
- AFRICAN MALARIA VECTORSJohn Beier; Fiscal Year: 2004..chemical ecology studies at ICIPE at being associated with mosquito-host attraction, repellency, mating, and oviposition will be tested further at the ICIPE Mbita Point Field Station in western Kenya in outdoor green-house ..
- Latitude and the Duration of Neartic WNV OutbreaksDyann Wirth; Fiscal Year: 2007..First (1), we shall define the seasonal dynamics of oviposition and host-questing activity of these mosquitoes in nature. (1...
- EFFECT OF LARVAL BEHAVIOR ON MOSQUITO POPULATION ECOLOGYJANICE EDGERLY ROOKS; Fiscal Year: 1990..effects of larvae within a single cohort at moderate densities common in the field; and 4) larval-produced oviposition attractants and repellents and their effect on native sympatric treehole mosquitoes and the introduced Ae...
- PHYSIOLOGY OF PRE-OVIPOSITION BEHAVIORMARC KLOWDEN; Fiscal Year: 1990..expressed once a blood meal has been ingested and oogenesis has commenced, females do become more attracted to oviposition site stimuli at this time, and display what we have termed "pre-oviposition" behavior in search of a place to ..
- Male accessory gland proteins of the dengue vector mosquito Aedes aegypti: potentLaura Harrington; Fiscal Year: 2009..female sexual refractoriness, blood feeding behavior, blood digestion, flight, ovarian development, and oviposition. This early work and our own preliminary data indicate that male Acps will be important in Ae...
- Genetics of Wing and Cell-Size Evolution in NasoniaJohn Werren; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Container mosquitoes and microorganism productivitySTEVEN JULIANO; Fiscal Year: 2003..This research will increase our knowledge of determinants of vector mosquito production and distribution and abundance. ..
- HTS Inhibitors:Schistosoma Mansoni Peroxiredoxins(RMI)David Williams; Fiscal Year: 2005..This will be the first step in the development of novel antischistosome chemotherapies, which are essential for continued public health measures. ..
- Machine vision analysis of nematode behavioral patterns.William Schafer; Fiscal Year: 2003..These analytical tools will also be used to precisely define the long-term effects of neuroactive drugs on behavioral, opening the possibility of genetic screening for mutants with defects in tolerance and dependence. ..
- Molecular genetics of egg activation and pronuclear function in DrosophilaMARIANA FEDERICA WOLFNER; Fiscal Year: 2010..Thus, we exploit the powerful genetics of Drosophila to elucidate efficiently the molecules and gene pathways needed to start development in humans. ..
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF NEURAL SPECIFICITYDavid M Miller; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of this work should reveal similar human genes with crucial roles in the creation spinal cord circuits and therefore potentially contribute to the development of treatments for spinal cord injury and dysfunction. ..
- REGULATION OF EUKARYOTIC PROTEIN SYNTHESIS INITIATIONROBERT RHOADS; Fiscal Year: 2009..Finally, one elF4E isoform is required for normal spermatogenesis, which may shed light on infertility conditions. ..
- Quantifying the Role of Ca2+ in MechanotransductionHAMILTON FARRIS; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- REGULATION OF HMG-COA REDUCTASEDAVID BORST; Fiscal Year: 2002..Finally, it seems likely that HMGR activity is regulated by neuroendocrine peptides. These studies may yield unique insights into the function and regulation of this enzyme. ..
- HOST COMPETENCE FACTORS AFFECT ARBOVIRUS TRANSMISSIONWilliam Reisen; Fiscal Year: 2003..Studies will assess how alternating sequential infections between vertebrate and vector species that are part of the natural transmission cycle may alter virus genetics and fitness. ..
- Disulfide redox balance in Schistosoma mansoniDavid Williams; Fiscal Year: 2003..Because disulfide redox balance in schistosomes is centered on a single, key enzyme and is fundamentally different from host mechanisms we propose that this pathway is a promising target for novel, rational drug design. ..
- ARBOVIRUS PERSISTENCE IN SEASONAL WETLANDSWilliam Reisen; Fiscal Year: 2002..Virus ecology at wetlands in the Coachella Valley of southeastern California with consistent enzootic activity will be compared with wetlands in the southern San Joaquin Valley where virus activity currently is intermittent. ..
- Biological Actions of a Gonadotrophin-Inhibitory PeptideJohn Wingfield; Fiscal Year: 2004..The studies outlined in this application will provide a new level of understanding of the neural basis of reproduction that can then be applied to reproductive research in general. ..
- Mechanical Tuning in Auditory Sensory Hair BundlesHAMILTON FARRIS; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Evolution of BMP Genes 2 and 4 in ArchosaursCHRIS ORGAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..Aim three is to elucidate the evolution of bmp2 and bmp4 coding regions. This project will be the first large scale examination of non-avian reptile genome structure and evolution. ..
- Mechanisms of anti-schistosome artemisinin chemotherapyDavid Williams; Fiscal Year: 2006..mansoni translationally controlled tumor protein. The critical conclusions of this study will direct subsequent future experiments into the molecular mechanism of artemisinin's anti-parasitic activity. ..
- Juvenile Hormone Receptor in Flies and MosquitoesThomas Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, a better understanding of Met as a bHLH-PAS gene will further our knowledge of this family of transcriptional regulators, including homologous genes found in humans. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Developmental Gene Regulation in Schistosoma mansoniDavid Williams; Fiscal Year: 2006..mansoni genome and studies using DNA micro arrays. Furthermore, we will validate the use of SAGE technology to study differential global gene expression in S. mansoni. ..
- Analysis of Touch Response & Habituation in C. elegansWilliam Schafer; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will also provide a proving ground for improvements in optical imaging methodologies, which could facilitate the application of this cutting-edge technology to other genetically tractable organisms. ..
- GENETIC ANALYSIS OF NICOTINE ADAPTATION IN C ELEGANSWilliam Schafer; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- High Throughput Proteome Analysis of Schistosoma mansoniDavid Williams; Fiscal Year: 2005..Completion of this project will provide information on significant protein complements of S. mansoni and also validate the use of MudPIT in future proteomic studies to define a comprehensive view of the S. mansoni proteomes. ..
- Functional Characterization of Drosophila Odor ReceptorsELISSA HALLEM; Fiscal Year: 2005..The contribution of individual odor receptors to receptor neuron response properties will be examined, thus furthering our understanding of both olfactory coding and the molecular basis of odor-receptor interactions. ..
- Identification of Synaptic remodeling Genes in C. elegansDavid Miller; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Highly Improved Bacterial Larvicides for Vector ControlBrian Federici; Fiscal Year: 2007..This collaboration has the common goal of having new products based on these recombinant bacteria on the market within five years, sooner if possible. ..
- WETLAND URBANIZATION GRADIENTS AND VECTOR BORNE DISEASESJOSEPH KIESECKER; Fiscal Year: 2002..Development of mathematical models for these trematode systems will provide a template for studies of other snail borne diseases with similar community modules, for example, schistosomiasis. ..