Genomes and Genes
Summary: The periodic shedding of the ENDOMETRIUM and associated menstrual bleeding in the MENSTRUAL CYCLE of humans and primates. Menstruation is due to the decline in circulating PROGESTERONE, and occurs at the late LUTEAL PHASE when LUTEOLYSIS of the CORPUS LUTEUM takes place.
Publications328 found, 100 shown here
- VEGF blockade inhibits angiogenesis and reepithelialization of endometriumXiujun Fan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Stanford University School of Medicine, 300 Pasteur Drive, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
FASEB J 22:3571-80. 2008..In summary, we provide novel experimental data indicating that VEGF is essential for endometrial neoangiogenesis during postmenstrual/postpartum repair...
- Elafin in human endometrium: an antiprotease and antimicrobial molecule expressed during menstruationAnne E King
Medical Research Council Human Reproductive Sciences Unit, University of Edinburgh, Centre for Reproductive Biology, Edinburgh, United Kingdom EH16 4SB
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:4426-31. 2003..Real-time quantitative PCR showed that expression of elafin mRNA peaked during menstruation. Elafin protein was localized to leukocytes scattered in the endometrial stroma during the late secretory and ..
- Novel cardiac precursor-like cells from human menstrual blood-derived mesenchymal cellsNaoko Hida
Department of Cardiology, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, 160 8582, Japan
Stem Cells 26:1695-704. 2008..Thus, MMCs appear to be a potential novel, easily accessible source of material for cardiac stem cell-based therapy...
- Menstrual blood-derived cells confer human dystrophin expression in the murine model of Duchenne muscular dystrophy via cell fusion and myogenic transdifferentiationChang Hao Cui
Department of Reproductive Biology and Pathology, National Institute for Child Health and Development, Tokyo, 157 8535, Japan
Mol Biol Cell 18:1586-94. 2007..These results demonstrate that the endometrial progenitor cells and menstrual blood-derived cells can transfer dystrophin into dystrophied myocytes through cell fusion and transdifferentiation in vitro and in vivo...
- Menstrual blood cells display stem cell-like phenotypic markers and exert neuroprotection following transplantation in experimental strokeCesar V Borlongan
Department of Neurosurgery and Brain Repair, Center of Excellence for Aging and Brain Repair, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
Stem Cells Dev 19:439-52. 2010..The present neurostructural and behavioral benefits afforded by transplanted menstrual blood-derived cells support their use as a stem cell source for cell therapy in stroke...
- Oestrogen and progesterone regulation of inflammatory processes in the human endometriumAnne E King
University of Edinburgh, Centre for Reproductive Biology, The Queen s Medical Research Institute, United Kingdom
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 120:116-26. 2010..that the endometrium is optimally prepared for potential embryo implantation but in the absence of an embryo, menstruation occurs to allow endometrial regeneration...
- Menstruation and menstrual hygiene amongst adolescent school girls in Kano, Northwestern NigeriaU M Lawan
Department of Community Medicine, Bayero University Kano and Aminu Kano Te aching Hospital, Kano State
Afr J Reprod Health 14:201-7. 2010This study examined the knowledge and practices of adolescent school girls in Kano, Nigeria around menstruation and menstrual hygiene. Data was collected quantitatively and analyzed using Epi info version 3.2.05...
- Recall of early menstrual history and menarcheal body size: after 30 years, how well do women remember?A Must
Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, School of Medicine, Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Am J Epidemiol 155:672-9. 2002..The failure to identify certain menstrual characteristics as exposures for subsequent disease may reflect limitations in the accuracy and precision of the recalled measures...
- The evolution of menstruation: a new model for genetic assimilation: explaining molecular origins of maternal responses to fetal invasivenessDeena Emera
Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
Bioessays 34:26-35. 2012..while most mammals do not? Here, we present our answer to this long-debated question, arguing that (i) menstruation occurs as a mechanistic consequence of hormone-induced differentiation of the endometrium (referred to as ..
- Further evaluation of rizatriptan in menstrual migraine: retrospective analysis of long-term dataStephen D Silberstein
Jefferson Headache Center, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Headache 42:917-23. 2002..To determine the long-term efficacy of oral rizatriptan 10-mg wafers in the treatment of menstrual migraine attacks...
- The immunocytochemical distribution of leukocytic subpopulations in human endometriumB R Kamat
Am J Pathol 127:66-73. 1987..Thus, the normal endometrium has an important population of immunologically competent cells. Further study of these cell populations may elucidate their contribution, if any, to pathologic conditions in the endometrium...
- Longitudinal study of the dynamics of vaginal microflora during two consecutive menstrual cyclesGuido Lopes Dos Santos Santiago
Laboratory for Bacteriology Research, Department of Clinical Chemistry, Microbiology, and Immunology, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
PLoS ONE 6:e28180. 2011..of the menstrual cycle on the different categories of vaginal microflora and assessed possible causes, such as menstruation and sexual intercourse, of VMF disturbance...
- Short-term frovatriptan for the prevention of difficult-to-treat menstrual migraine attacksJ L Brandes
Nashville Neuroscience Group, PC, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN, USA 37203
Cephalalgia 29:1133-48. 2009..d. (P < 0.001) and b.i.d. (P < 0.001) vs. placebo. Both frovatriptan regimens were well tolerated. In women with difficult-to-treat MM, a 6-day regimen of frovatriptan significantly reduced MM incidence and severity...
- Migraine without aura and reproductive life events: a clinical epidemiological study in 1300 womenF Granella
University Center for Adaptive Disorders and Headache (UCADH, Unit of Parma (Department of Neurology, University of Parma, Italy
Headache 33:385-9. 1993..This form of migraine shows more frequently a menstrual periodicity, and usually improves during pregnancy. Furthermore, menstrual migraine patients show social and cultural characteristics with distinguish them from other women...
- Transforming growth factor-beta1 attenuates expression of both the progesterone receptor and Dickkopf in differentiated human endometrial stromal cellsNicole Kane
Medical Research Council Human Reproductive Sciences Unit, Centre for Reproductive Biology, The Queen s Medical Research Institute, 47 Little France Crescent, Edinburgh EH16 4TJ, United Kingdom
Mol Endocrinol 22:716-28. 2008..TGFbeta1 is thought to be intimately involved in cyclic tissue remodeling and inflammatory events associated with menstruation. Menstruation is initiated by progesterone withdrawal; however, the underlying mechanisms are not well ..
- Identification of chemokines important for leukocyte recruitment to the human endometrium at the times of embryo implantation and menstruationRebecca L Jones
Prince Henry s Institute of Medical Research, Clayton, Victoria 3186, Australia
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:6155-67. 2004..study to use an unbiased approach to screen for endometrial chemokines, and we report the selective regulation of chemokines, corresponding to the recruitment of distinct leukocyte subpopulations required for pregnancy and menstruation.
- Expression and regulation of vascular endothelial growth factor ligands and receptors during menstruation and post-menstrual repair of human endometriumC Punyadeera
Research Institute for Growth and Development GROW Department of Pathology, University Hospital Maastricht and University Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Mol Hum Reprod 12:367-75. 2006Regeneration and growth of the human endometrium after shedding of the functional layer during menstruation depends on an adequate angiogenic response...
- Menstrual hygiene among adolescent schoolgirls in Mansoura, EgyptAbdel Hady El-Gilany
Community Medicine Department, Faculty of Medicine, University of Mansoura, Mansoura, Egypt
Reprod Health Matters 13:147-52. 2005..type of sanitary protection used, frequency of changing pads or cloths, means of disposal and bathing during menstruation. Girls were selected by cluster sampling technique in public secondary schools in urban and rural areas...
- Incidence, time course, and determinants of menstrual bleeding after breast cancer treatment: a prospective studyJeanne A Petrek
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:1045-51. 2006..To assess ovarian function using the surrogate of monthly bleeding after breast cancer treatment in premenopausal women...
- Menstrual knowledge and practices of female adolescents in urban Karachi, PakistanTazeen Saeed Ali
The Aga Khan University, School of Nursing and Department of Community Health Sciences, Karachi 74800, Sindh, Pakistan
J Adolesc 33:531-41. 2010b>Menstruation is a normal physiological process that is managed differently according to various social and cultural understandings...
- Daily low-dose mifepristone has contraceptive potential by suppressing ovulation and menstruation: a double-blind randomized control trial of 2 and 5 mg per day for 120 daysAudrey Brown
Contraceptive Development Network, Centre for Reproductive Biology, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, EH3 9ET, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:63-70. 2002..We conclude that mifepristone in low daily doses inhibits ovulation and induces amenorrhea in the majority of women and has the potential to be developed as a novel estrogen- free oral contraceptive pill...
- A comparison of modality-specific somatosensory changes during menstruation in dysmenorrheic and nondysmenorrheic womenPriti Bajaj
Laboratory for Experimental Pain Research, Center for Sensory Motor Interaction, Aalborg University, Denmark
Clin J Pain 18:180-90. 2002..regimen applied both within and outside areas of referred menstrual pain in dysmenorrheic women, over four phases of confirmed ovulatory cycles, and to compare them with thresholds in nondysmenorrheic women during menstruation.
- Menorrhagia I: measured blood loss, clinical features, and outcome in women with heavy periods: a survey with follow-up dataPamela E Warner
Division of Community Health Sciences, University of Edinburgh Medical School, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Edinburgh, Centre for Reproductive Biology, Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Am J Obstet Gynecol 190:1216-23. 2004..Menorrhagia is defined as blood loss of >80 mL, but in routine clinical practice measurement is seldom undertaken. Our aim was to identify the features of the clinical history that best predict menorrhagic blood loss...
- Structural changes in endometrial basal glands during menstruationR Garry
Department of Gynaecology, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
BJOG 117:1175-85. 2010..To prospectively observe the changes occurring in endometrial glandular morphology during menstrual shedding and regeneration...
- Matrix metalloproteinases and endometriosisKevin G Osteen
Women s Reproductive Health Research Center, Department of Obstetrics Gynecology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, B 1100 Medical Center North, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Semin Reprod Med 21:155-64. 2003Retrograde menstruation represents a plausible explanation for the development of most cases of endometriosis; nevertheless, additional factors must contribute to the development of disease in only 10 to 20% of women...
- Evaluation of menstrual bleeding patterns: a new proposal for a universal guideline based on the analysis of more than 4500 bleeding diariesC Gerlinger
Clinical Statistics Europe, Bayer Schering Pharma AG, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care 12:203-11. 2007..To develop a universal guideline allowing the comparison of interventions like oral contraceptives and hormone replacement therapy with an impact on menstrual bleeding pattern...
- Progesterone withdrawal up-regulates fibronectin and integrins during menstruation and repair in the rhesus macaque endometriumW Cao
Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Hum Reprod 22:3223-31. 2007..To determine whether these molecules play similar roles during menstrual repair, we evaluated the expression and localization of FN and specific Itgs in the primate endometrium under hormonally controlled conditions...
- Menstrual health care behavior and associated factors among female elementary students in the Hualien regionYu Ting Chang
Department of Nursing, Tzu Chi College of Technology
J Nurs Res 16:8-16. 2008..The results of this study show that the majority of the respondents felt that menstruation had an influence on their emotions (74.8%), daily life (73.1%), schoolwork (61.6%), and social interaction (50...
- The endocrine and paracrine control of menstruationPatrick Henriet
Cell Biology Unit, de Duve Institute, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Avenue Hippocrate, 75, B 1200 Bruxelles, Belgium
Mol Cell Endocrinol 358:197-207. 2012During the reproductive life, the human endometrium undergoes cycles of substantial remodeling including, at menstruation, a massive but delimited tissue breakdown immediately followed by scarless repair...
- Mimicking the events of menstruation in the murine uterusM Brasted
Uterine Biology Laboratory, Prince Henry s Institute of Medical Research, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia
Biol Reprod 69:1273-80. 2003b>Menstruation and endometrial regeneration occur during every normal reproductive cycle in women and some Old World primates...
- Differential expression and regulation of nuclear oligomerization domain proteins NOD1 and NOD2 in human endometrium: a potential role in innate immune protection and menstruationAnne E King
Reproductive and Developmental Sciences, Centre for Reproductive Biology, The Queen s Medical Research Institute, Edinburgh, UK
Mol Hum Reprod 15:311-9. 2009..NOD2 is up-regulated in the late secretory phase of the menstrual cycle suggesting a role in menstruation. Both proteins are immunolocalized in endometrial epithelium, stroma and endothelium...
- Withdrawal of ovarian steroids stimulates prostaglandin F2alpha production through nuclear factor-kappaB activation via oxygen radicals in human endometrial stromal cells: potential relevance to menstruationNorihiro Sugino
Division of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Department of Reproductive, Pediatric and Infectious Science, Yamaguchi University School of Medicine, Ube, Japan
J Reprod Dev 50:215-25. 2004..In conclusion, EP-withdrawal stimulates COX-2 expression and PGF2alpha production through ROS-induced NF-kappaB activation, suggesting a possible mechanism for menstruation.
- Intravaginal and menstrual practices among women working in food and recreational facilities in Mwanza, Tanzania: implications for microbicide trialsCaroline F Allen
Medical Research Council Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8RZ, UK
AIDS Behav 14:1169-81. 2010..Intravaginal and menstrual practices and associated behaviours and demographic factors should be measured and monitored throughout microbicide trials to enable analyses of their impacts on microbicide effectiveness...
- Socio-cultural aspects of menstruation in an urban slum in Delhi, IndiaS Garg
Department of Community Medicine, Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi 110 002, India
Reprod Health Matters 9:16-25. 2001This paper attempts to understand the experience of menstruation in the socio-cultural context of an urban Indian slum...
- Menstruation: induction by matrix metalloproteinases and inflammatory cellsL A Salamonsen
Prince Henry s Institute of Medical Research, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
J Reprod Immunol 44:1-27. 1999b>Menstruation occurs at the end of a normal reproductive cycle in the human female, following the fall in progesterone resulting from the demise of the corpus luteum...
- Matrix metalloproteinases in endometrial breakdown and repair: functional significance in a mouse modelTu uhevaha J Kaitu'u
Prince Henry s Institute of Medical Research, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Biol Reprod 73:672-80. 2005Considerable correlative evidence suggests an important role for matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) in menstruation, a process which occurs naturally in very few species...
- Where the education system and women's bodies collide: The social and health impact of girls' experiences of menstruation and schooling in TanzaniaMarni Sommer
Department of Sociomedical Sciences, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Adolesc 33:521-9. 2010..Girls have pragmatic and realistic recommendations for how to improve school environments, ideas that should be incorporated as effective methods for improving girls' academic experiences and their healthy transitions to womanhood...
- Determination of total menstrual blood lossK M Wyatt
Academic Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, North Staffordshire Hospital, Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Fertil Steril 76:125-31. 2001..It is no longer appropriate to ignore extraneous blood loss, particularly as there is no correlation between extraneous blood loss and that measured on feminine hygiene products...
- Determinants of recovery from amenorrhea in premenopausal breast cancer patients receiving adjuvant chemotherapy in the taxane eraAlessandro Marco Minisini
Department of Medical Oncology, University Hospital of Udine, Udine, Italy
Anticancer Drugs 20:503-7. 2009..04) were associated with an increased probability of permanent chemotherapy-induced amenorrhea. Recovery of menses after chemotherapy-induced amenorrhea occurs more probably in younger women, with no pregnancies and receiving taxanes...
- True and sham acupuncture produced similar frequency of ovulation and improved LH to FSH ratios in women with polycystic ovary syndromeLisa M Pastore
Department of Obstetrics Gynecology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:3143-50. 2011..Acupuncture may represent a nonpharmaceutical treatment for women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), based on four studies...
- Prospective analysis of factors related to migraine attacks: the PAMINA studyC Wöber
Department of Neurology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Cephalalgia 27:304-14. 2007..b>Menstruation had the most prominent effect, increasing the hazard of occurrence or persistence of headache and migraine by ..
- Endometrial mesenchymal stem cells isolated from the menstrual bloodR A Musina
V I Kulakov Research Center of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Perinatology, Russia
Bull Exp Biol Med 145:539-43. 2008..Specific features of this cell type are high clonogenic activity and low capacity to adipocyte differentiation...
- The next generation of burns treatment: intelligent films and matrix, controlled enzymatic debridement, and adult stem cellsH Drago
Banco de Tejidos, Hospital de Quemados, CABA, Argentina
Transplant Proc 42:345-9. 2010....
- Naratriptan as short-term prophylaxis of menstrually associated migraine: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyL Newman
St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, Headache Institute, New York, NY 10019, USA
Headache 41:248-56. 2001..5 mg, was not statistically superior to placebo for any measure. CONCLUSIONS: Naratriptan, 1 mg, with tolerability similar to placebo, is an effective, short-term, prophylactic treatment for menstrually associated migraine...
- Characterization of consistent triggers of migraine with auraAnne Werner Hauge
Department of Neurology, University of Copenhagen and Glostrup Hospital, Denmark
Cephalalgia 31:416-38. 2011..The aim of the present study was to characterize perceived consistent triggers of migraine with aura (MA)...
- Effective treatment of heavy and/or prolonged menstrual bleeding with an oral contraceptive containing estradiol valerate and dienogest: a randomized, double-blind Phase III trialI S Fraser
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Central Clinical School, D02 QEII Research Institute for Mothers and Infants, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Hum Reprod 26:2698-708. 2011..This double-blind trial investigated the efficacy and safety of estradiol valerate/dienogest (E(2)V/DNG) for the treatment of heavy menstrual bleeding without recognizable organic pathology...
- Menstrual-like changes in mice are provoked through the pharmacologic withdrawal of progesterone using mifepristone following induction of decidualizationX B Xu
Department of Cell Biology, National Research Institute for Family Planning, Beijing 100081, People s Republic of China
Hum Reprod 22:3184-91. 2007Cyclic shedding of the endometrium is unique to menstruating species, and mouse menstruation models by physiologic progesterone withdrawal have been previously reported...
- What is the desired menstrual frequency of women without menstruation-related symptoms?Simone Ferrero
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, San Martino Hospital and University of Genoa, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Contraception 73:537-41. 2006This study aimed to investigate the desired menstrual frequency of subjects without menstruation-related symptoms.
- Bacterial vaginosis in relation to menstrual cycle, menstrual protection method, and sexual intercourse in rural Gambian womenL Morison
MRC Tropical Epidemiology Group, Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London WC1E 7HT, UK
Sex Transm Infect 81:242-7. 2005..To examine the occurrence of bacterial vaginosis (BV) over the menstrual cycle and in relation to menstrual protection materials and sexual intercourse in a rural African setting...
- Comprehensive analysis of leukocytes, vascularization and matrix metalloproteinases in human menstrual xenograft modelYong Guo
Graduate School, Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 6:e16840. 2011..However, mouse is not a natural menstruation animal, and the menstruation model using external stimuli may not truly reflect the occurrence and development ..
- Attitudes and feelings towards menstruation and womanhood in girls at menarcheGun I Rembeck
Youth Centre in Lerum, Primary Healthcare, Southern Alvsborg County, Sweden
Acta Paediatr 95:707-14. 2006To elucidate early adolescent girls' attitudes, thoughts and feelings towards menstruation and their bodies.
- Validation of a rapid alkaline hematin technique to measure menstrual blood loss on feminine towels containing superabsorbent polymersJulia L Magnay
Keele Menstrual Disorders Laboratory, Institute for Science and Technology in Medicine, Guy Hilton Research Centre, Thornburrow Drive, Hartshill, Stoke on Trent, United Kingdom
Fertil Steril 96:394-8. 2011..To validate the semiautomated alkaline hematin technique for rapid measurement of menstrual blood loss on ultrathin sanitary towels with a superabsorbent polymer component...
- Assessment of menstruation in the vervet (Cercopithecus aethiops)Rebecca L Carroll
Division of Reproductive Sciences, Oregon National Primate Research Center, Oregon Health and Science University, Beaverton, OR 97006, USA
Am J Primatol 69:901-16. 2007Vervet monkeys (Chlorocebus aethiops) are Old World nonhumans that display attenuated menstruation that requires detection by vaginal swab. The physiology underlying attenuated menstruation in this species has not been previously studied...
- Young girls with malignant ovarian germ cell tumors can undergo normal menarche and menstruation after fertility-preserving surgery and adjuvant chemotherapySeung Chul Yoo
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ajou University School of Medicine, Suwon, South Korea
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 89:126-30. 2010..9%) subsequently had normal menarche. Among the 16 adolescent patients, 15 (93.8%) resumed normal menstruation and 1 had premature ovarian failure. Conclusion...
- Cultural practices relating to menarche and menstruation among adolescent girls in Taiwan--qualitative investigationH L Liu
Nursing Department, College of Nursing, Central Taiwan University of Science and Technology, Taichung City, Taiwan
J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 25:43-7. 2012The aim of this study was to qualitatively record the cultural attitudes and practices associated with menarche and menstruation in Taiwanese girls, particularly with respect to coping mechanisms.
- Endocrine regulation of menstruationHenry N Jabbour
Medical Research Council Human Reproductive Sciences Unit, University of Edinburgh, Centre for Reproductive Biology, The Queen s Medical Research Institute, 47 Little France Crescent, Edinburgh EH16 4TJ, United Kingdom
Endocr Rev 27:17-46. 2006..In the absence of pregnancy, the human endometrium is sloughed off at menstruation over a period of a few days...
- Production of endometrial matrix metalloproteinases, but not their tissue inhibitors, is modulated by progesterone withdrawal in an in vitro model for menstruationL A Salamonsen
Prince Henry s Institute of Medical Research, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82:1409-15. 1997Matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) and their tissue inhibitors (TIMPs) are implicated in normal menstruation, but the mechanism of their regulation is not yet clear...
- Migraine in womenChristine L Lay
Department of Medicine, Division of Neurology, Centre For Headache, Women s College Hospital, 76 Grenville Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Neurol Clin 27:503-11. 2009..Hence practitioners treating women with migraine need to have a clear understanding of these special considerations...
- Almotriptan for menstrually related migraineGennaro Bussone
Besta Neurological Institute, Via Celoria 11, Milan, Italy
Expert Opin Pharmacother 12:1933-43. 2011..Since MRM may be difficult to treat, it is important to find an appropriate treatment option for women suffering from this condition...
- Breast-feeding pattern and onset of menstruation among Yoruba mothers of South-west NigeriaOluwafemi Kuti
Department of Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Perinatology, College of Health Sciences, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Nigeria
Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care 12:335-9. 2007..To determine the breast-feeding practices and duration of lactational amenorrhoea among women within the first year of delivery in a Nigerian population...
- Menstrual experiences and beliefs: a multicountry study of relationships with fertility and fertility regulating methodsL J Severy
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville 32611
Women Health 20:1-20. 1993..women generally experience (behavior and beliefs about sexual, personal, social, and dietary factors) during menstruation as baseline data...
- Women's attitudes towards monthly bleeding: results of a global population-based surveyAnne Szarewski
Centre for Cancer Prevention, Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine, London, UK
Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care 17:270-83. 2012..Monthly bleeding can be uncomfortable and inconvenient. Fifty years after the introduction of the pill, one wonders whether women still want to bleed every month...
- Perceptions and practices on menstruation amongst Nigerian secondary school girlsEchendu Dolly Adinma
Department of Community Medicine, Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital, Nnewi, Nigeria
Afr J Reprod Health 12:74-83. 2008..550 secondary school girls in southeastern Nigeria to determine their perceptions, problems, and practices on menstruation. Majority of the students, (75.6%), were aged 15-17 years. Only 39...
- Sanitary pad interventions for girls' education in Ghana: a pilot studyPaul Montgomery
Centre for Evidence Based Intervention, University of Oxford, Oxford, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 7:e48274. 2012..Following the MRC Framework for Complex Interventions, a pilot controlled study was conducted in Ghana to assess the role of sanitary pads in girls' education...
- Detailed clinical and molecular study of 20 females with Xq deletions with special reference to menstruation and fertilityCatherine L Mercer
Wessex Clinical Genetics Service, University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust, Princess Anne Hospital, Coxford Road, Southampton, UK
Eur J Med Genet 56:1-6. 2013..Features often associated with Turner syndrome were not common in our study and excluding puberty, menarche and menstruation, the phenotypes observed were present in only a minority of women and were not specific to the X chromosome...
- Cultural perceptions and practices around menarche and adolescent menstruation in the United StatesMargaret L Stubbs
Department of Psychology, Chatham University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15232, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1135:58-66. 2008..Current research suggests that girls are not very knowledgeable about menstruation, and that menstrual education continues to provide girls with mixed messages, such as: menstruation is a normal,..
- Adolescent girls define menstruation: a multiethnic exploratory studyKelly Orringer
Department of Pediatrics, University of Michigan, Howell, Michigan 48843, USA
Health Care Women Int 31:831-47. 2010Incomplete understanding of menstruation may place girls at risk for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and unintended pregnancy...
- The impact of cyclophosphamide on menstruation and pregnancy in women with rheumatologic diseaseL E Harward
Department of Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, USA
Lupus 22:81-6. 2013..We compared the reproductive health histories of young women with rheumatologic disease with and without prior CYC exposure to identify the impact of this medication on this important component of health...
- Progestin-regulated expression of tissue factor in decidual cells: implications in endometrial hemostasis, menstruation and angiogenesisFrederick Schatz
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, Room 335 FMB, P O Box 208063, New Haven, CT 06520 8063, USA
Steroids 68:849-60. 2003..transformed decidualization-associated hemostasis of the luteal phase endometrium to the hemorrhagic milieu of menstruation. Transient transfections with TF promoter constructs containing SP and EGR-1 binding sites before and after ..
- Menstruation across time: menarche, menstrual attitudes, experiences, and behaviorsMarianne E McPherson
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Womens Health Issues 14:193-200. 2004..This study invites further investigation of the psychology of menstruation and suggests connecting menstruation with other women's health issues.
- Menstruation and cardiovascular vulnerabilityMartin Terplan
Arch Intern Med 165:120. 2005
- The effect of community-based health education intervention on management of menstrual hygiene among rural Indian adolescent girlsA R Dongre
Dr Sushila Nayar School of Public Health, Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, Sewagram, 442 102, India
World Health Popul 9:48-54. 2007..To study the effect of a community-based health education intervention on awareness and behaviour change of rural adolescent girls regarding their management of menstrual hygiene...
- Inflammation, leukocytes and menstruationJemma Evans
Prince Henry s Institute of Medical Research, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Rev Endocr Metab Disord 13:277-88. 2012b>Menstruation has many of the features of an inflammatory process. The complexity and sequence of inflammatory-type events leading to the final tissue breakdown and bleeding are slowly being unravelled...
- Impact of a health education program for secondary school Saudi girls about menstruation at Riyadh cityEbtisam M Fetohy
Health Administration and Behavioral Sciences Dep, High Institute of Public Health, Alexandria University, Egypt
J Egypt Public Health Assoc 82:105-26. 2007..360, 0.252 respectively). The study recommended the replication of the same program among elementary, preparatory, and other secondary schools for improvement of students' menstrual knowledge, attitudes and practice...
- Role of nitric oxide in implantation and menstruationK Chwalisz
Women s Health Care, Jenapharm GmbH and Co KG, Jena, Germany
Hum Reprod 15:96-111. 2000..that NO plays an important role in endometrial functions such as endometrial receptivity, implantation and menstruation. In rodents, both iNOS and eNOS are highly up-regulated in the implantation sites, and NOS inhibitors show ..
- Complement factor I deficiency associated with recurrent meningitis coinciding with menstruationC González-Rubio
Immunology Unit, Hospital Universitario, La Paz, Paseo de la Castellana, 261, 28046 Madrid, Spain
Arch Neurol 58:1923-8. 2001..This deficiency causes a permanent uncontrolled activation of the alternative pathway resulting in massive consumption of C3...
- The endocrinology of menstruation--a role for the immune systemH O Critchley
Centre for Reproductive Biology, The University of Edinburgh, UK
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 55:701-10. 2001..prepares the endometrium for implantation, but in the absence of pregnancy, progesterone withdrawal leads to menstruation and cyclic repair...
- Decoding implantation and menstruation: the tale of two opposing signalsSiamak Tabibzadeh
Dept of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Fetomaternal Medicine, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
Front Biosci 7:d1475-86. 2002..sequential phases of proliferation, and secretory changes followed by tissue shedding and bleeding during menstruation. Tissue remodeling is a distinct feature of human endometrium in the secretory phase which prepares endometrium ..
- Menstrual migraineE Anne MacGregor
The City of London Migraine Clinic, London, UK
Curr Opin Neurol 21:309-15. 2008..Menstrual migraine is prevalent but it is only recently that research has specifically addressed the pathophysiology and management of this disabling condition...
- Inflammatory mediators and endometrial function--focus on the perivascular cellRodney W Kelly
Human Reproductive Sciences Unit, Medical Research Council, Centre for Reproductive Biology, University of Edinburgh, UK
J Reprod Immunol 57:81-93. 2002Human endometrium has a unique vascular architecture that allows menstruation, the shedding of a well-vascularised tissue layer, with limited bleeding...
- Prophylaxis of menstrual migraine with triptans: problems and possibilitiesElizabeth Loder
Harvard Medical School and Pain and Headache Management Programs, Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Neurology 59:1677-81. 2002b>Menstruation is a prominent, predictable attack trigger for many women with migraine...
- Consequences of a long-term raw food diet on body weight and menstruation: results of a questionnaire surveyC Koebnick
Institute of Nutritional Science Justus Liebig University of Giessen, Germany
Ann Nutr Metab 43:69-79. 1999..To examine the relationship between the strictness of long-term raw food diets and body weight loss, underweight and amenorrhea...
- Are menstrual and nonmenstrual migraine attacks different?Kjersti Grøtta Vetvik
Head and Neck Research Group, Research Centre, Akershus University Hospital, 1478, Lørenskog, Oslo, Norway
Curr Pain Headache Rep 15:339-42. 2011..Collection of both prospective and retrospective data is warranted, and headache diagnosis base on interviews by physicians with interest in headache are more precise than lay interviews or questionnaires...
- Sex hormones and primary headaches other than migraineDoris Lieba-Samal
Department of Neurology, Medical University of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Curr Pain Headache Rep 15:407-14. 2011..headache has been studied less extensively, but there is at least some evidence that hormones in general, and menstruation, pregnancy, or menopause in particular, also impact these disorders...
- Metalloproteinase-dependent shedding of low-density lipoprotein receptor-related protein-1 ectodomain decreases endocytic clearance of endometrial matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -9 at menstruationCharlotte Selvais
Cell Biology Unit, de Duve Institute, Universite Catholique de Louvain, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Endocrinology 150:3792-9. 2009....
- [Volt-ampere characteristics of Yuan points of three yin channels of hand in women before, during and after menstruation]Jian zi Wei
College of Acupuncture, Moxibustion and Tuina, Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Shanghai 201203, China
Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao 4:260-4. 2006..To observe the changes of volt-ampere characteristics of Yuan-Primary acupoints in women before, during and after menstruation, and to find out the relationships between Qi-blood in human body and volt-ampere characteristics of acupoints, ..
- Impact of breast cancer chemotherapy on ovarian reserve: a prospective observational analysis by menstrual history and ovarian reserve markersAndrea Reh
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York Presbyterian Weill Cornell Medical Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Fertil Steril 90:1635-9. 2008..To determine whether addition of taxanes to anthracycline and cyclophosphamide regimens impact ovarian function as assessed by menstrual history and ovarian reserve markers...
- Current topics and controversies in menstrual migraineAnne H Calhoun
University of North Carolina, Anesthesiology and Psychiatry and Carolina Headache Institute, Chapel Hill, NC 27516, USA
Headache 52:8-11. 2012..This article takes a closer look at some of these products, including concerns surrounding them, non-contraceptive benefits, and their potential role as preventive agents for MRM...
- Reversible suppression of menstruation with progesterone antagonists in rhesus macaquesO D Slayden
Division of Reproductive Sciences, Oregon Regional Primate Research Center, Beaverton OR 97006, USA
Hum Reprod 16:1562-74. 2001..RESULTS: The results in naturally cycling animals showed that ZK 137 316 blocked menstruation in all animals, but doses of 0.05 mg/kg blocked ovulation in 55.5% of animals and doses of 0...
- Quantitative measurements of menstrual blood loss in ovulatory and anovulatory cycles in middle- and late-reproductive age and the menopausal transitionGeorgina E Hale
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Queen Elizabeth II Research Institute for Mothers and Infants, University of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Obstet Gynecol 115:249-56. 2010..To measure menstrual blood loss before and during the menopausal transition and to explore the relationships between menstrual blood loss and menstrual cycle irregularity and reproductive hormone levels...
- Estimating menstrual blood loss in women with normal and excessive menstrual fluid volumeI S Fraser
Sydney Centre for Reproductive Health Research, Family Planning NSW, Sydney, Australia
Obstet Gynecol 98:806-14. 2001To examine the relationship between total fluid volume at menstruation and the volume of blood loss, and to assess the feasibility of using total fluid volume to estimate menstrual blood loss.
- The FIGO recommendations on terminologies and definitions for normal and abnormal uterine bleedingIan S Fraser
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Sydney, Camperdown, Australia
Semin Reprod Med 29:383-90. 2011..It is anticipated that these terminologies and definitions will be reviewed again on a regular basis through the International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics Menstrual Disorders Working Group...
- Endometrial leukocytes and menstruationL A Salamonsen
Prince Henry s Institute of Medical Research, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Hum Reprod Update 6:16-27. 2000This review examines evidence supporting the concept that menstruation occurs as a result of an inflammatory process...
- Characteristics of menstruation and pregnancy and the risk of lung cancer in womenAnita Koushik
Departement de Medecine sociale et preventive, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada
Int J Cancer 125:2428-33. 2009..We investigated the association between characteristics of menstruation and pregnancy in relation to lung cancer risk in a population-based case-control study carried out in Montreal, ..
- Coping with menstruation: understanding the needs of women with Parkinson's diseaseDebbie Tolson
School of Nursing, Midwifery and Community Health, Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow, UK
J Adv Nurs 40:513-21. 2002To understand how women with Parkinson's disease (PD) experience and cope with menstruation and associated gynaecological problems, and adjustments to womanhood. This paper focuses on menstruation.
- Role of menstruation in contraceptive choice among HIV-infected women in Soweto, South AfricaFatima Laher
Perinatal HIV Research Unit, Soweto, Johannesburg, Gauteng Province, South Africa
Contraception 81:547-51. 2010..It is unknown whether HIV-infected women are more sensitive to menstrual changes and how this affects contraceptive choice. This study describes perceptions toward menses and contraceptive-induced amenorrhea among HIV-infected women...
- Progesterone withdrawal up-regulates vascular endothelial growth factor receptor type 2 in the superficial zone stroma of the human and macaque endometrium: potential relevance to menstruationN R Nayak
Oregon Regional Primate Research Center, Beaverton 97006, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:3442-52. 2000..we hypothesize that VEGF-KDR interactions may influence MMP expression in the superficial zones of the primate endometrium during the premenstrual phase, and that these interactions play a role in the induction of menstruation.
- In vivo assessment of human vaginal oxygen and carbon dioxide levels during and post mensesDonna R Hill
The FemCare Product Development, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
J Appl Physiol 99:1582-91. 2005..These decreases were independent of the type of tampons used and the time of measurement (mid-cycle or during menstruation)...
- Recovery of menstruation after long-term chemotherapy and endocrine therapy in pre-menopausal patients with breast cancerKenichi Sakurai
Division of Breast and Endocrine Surgery, Department of Surgery, Nihon University School of Medicine, 30 1, Oyaguchi Kamimachi, Itabashi ku, Tokyo 173 8610, Japan
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 137:615-20. 2011..However, it remains to be clarified how often patients recover menstruation after long-term LH-RH agonist plus TAM therapy...
- Vascular repair after menstruation involves regulation of vascular endothelial growth factor-receptor phosphorylation by sFLT-1M D Graubert
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Reproductive Endocrinology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Pathol 158:1399-410. 2001Regeneration of the endometrium after menstruation requires a rapid and highly organized vascular response...
- Ovarian steroids, mitogen-activated protein kinases, and/or aspartic proteinases cooperate to control endometrial remodeling by regulating gene expression in the stroma and glandsHéloïse P Gaide Chevronnay
Universite Catholique de Louvain, Cell Biology Unit, de Duve Institute, Medical School, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Endocrinology 151:4515-26. 2010..In conclusion, MAPKs and/or aspartic proteinases likely act in concert with EP to locally and specifically control differential expression of genes between degrading and preserved areas of the human endometrium...
- The Primate Corpus Luteum: Functional Regression and Cardiovascular ImpactsRandy L Bogan; Fiscal Year: 2012..Serum levels of estradiol (E2) and P4, as well as the first day of menstruation, will be used as markers of luteal lifespan...
- A Novel Target for the Treatment of EndometriosisPaul D Crowe; Fiscal Year: 2011DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Endometriosis is a major cause of severe pelvic pain, pain during menstruation, dyspareunia and infertility in women of child-bearing age with an estimated $22 billion cost of diagnosis and treatment ..
- The Role of The Histone Epigenome in the Pathophysiology of EndometriosisMARICARMEN COLON; Fiscal Year: 2012..These theories include retrograde menstruation, genetic predisposition, immune system disturbances, and environmental exposures2...
- Progesterone Action in the Endometrium of Women with EndometriosisSteven L Young; Fiscal Year: 2013..Given that P inhibits endometrial proliferation, sets the stage for apoptotic cell death at menstruation, and induces receptivity to embryo implantation, P resistance could contribute to the pathogenesis and ..
- Intrinsic Vascular Smooth Muscle Cell StiffnessStephen F Vatner; Fiscal Year: 2013..primates are the best models to study gender differences with aging, since the changes in hormones and menstruation in old female (OF) monkeys parallel those in older human females...
- Effects of Continuous versus Cyclic Oral Contraceptives on Mammary Tumor GrowthPATRICIA ANN MASSO-WELCH; Fiscal Year: 2013..Based on the ability of OC to eliminate menstruation and accompanying side effects, it is not surprising that many of the ~21% of adult women in the US who are ..
- The effect of the penile microbiome on BV, GUD, and genital epithelial traumaSUPRIYA DINESH MEHTA; Fiscal Year: 2013..If specific behaviors - such as sex during a woman's menstruation or genital hygiene - are associated with types or amounts of harmful penile bacteria, then behavioral ..
- Sex differences in the basic pathophysiology of migraineKEVIN CHRISTOPHER BRENNAN; Fiscal Year: 2011..Migraine is more severe during the reproductive years, but improves after menopause. It worsens around menstruation, but improves during pregnancy. This suggests a hormonal role in its origins...
- Evolution and Human Reproduction: A longitudinal study of the Dogon of MaliBEVERLY ILSE STRASSMANN; Fiscal Year: 2011..primarily by the availability of the author's unique, longitudinal data sets on fertility, mortality, menstruation, health, hormones, growth, and genetics. Sample sizes are large...
- Retinoid effects on inflammation and cell growth associated with endometriosisNeil Sidell; Fiscal Year: 2012..the uptake and clearance of apoptotic cells and cell debris which seed the peritoneum as a result of retrograde menstruation. We have shown that this receptor is reduced in peritoneal macrophages from women with endometriosis and that ..
- Comparative Risk of Endometrial Cancer from Ablation Versus Medical ManagementBRIAN LESLIE STROM; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Abnormal menstruation, often caused by Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding (DUB), is one of the most common chief complaints to gynecologists and family practices, and is associated with significant ..
- ORGANOPHOSPHATE PESTICIDES AND HUMAN REPRODUCTIVE HEALTHXiping Xu; Fiscal Year: 2003..amenorrhea, polymenorrhea, intermenstrual bleeding, prolonged menstrual bleeding, dysmenorrhea, and irregular menstruation); (3) alterations in hormone patterns including reduced estrogen excretion (REE), anovulation, abnormal luteal ..
- Monitoring Changes in Cervical Microstructure During PregnancyMark L Palmeri; Fiscal Year: 2013..branch will be a serial study of quantitative ultrasound parameters at several time points throughout normal menstruation (to establish underlying biological variability), and then normal pregnancy (to describe collagen ..
- Neuroactive Steroid Therapy of Catamenial EpilepsyDOODIPALA REDDY; Fiscal Year: 2007..However, women with epilepsy often report an increase in seizures at the time of menstruation, a condition referred to as "catamenial epilepsy"...
- CHLAMYDIA TRACHOMATIS ENVELOPE COMPONENTS AND VIRULENCEJANE RAULSTON; Fiscal Year: 2003..cavity is subject to constant changes in levels of micronutrients such as iron, due to hormonal cycling during menstruation. Endometrial epithelial cells are natural target host cells for infection by chlamydiae...
- DDT, Endocrine Disruption and Reproductive OutcomesXiaobin Wang; Fiscal Year: 2003..history, occupational and environmental factors, and dietary intake; (2) daily diary from each woman reporting menstruation, use of medications, sexual intercourse, contraceptive use, active and passive smoking, alcohol use, and ..
- Neuroprotective Effects of Estrogen in Serotonin NeuronsJessica Henderson; Fiscal Year: 2007..frequency of depression than men and depressive episodes often correlate with reproductive life events such as menstruation, post-partum, and the onset of menopause...
- Estrogen Withdrawal and Dural Mast Cells: Implication for Menstrual MigraineDan Levy; Fiscal Year: 2010..to half of all women migraineurs, the frequency and severity of migraine attacks increase around the time of menstruation. Although the mechanisms underlying these menstrually-related migraines are unclear, the abrupt decline in ..
- UTERINE BIOLOGY AND THE PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF ENDOMETRIOSISKevin Osteen; Fiscal Year: 2003..attributed to ectopic implantation of fragments of endometrium entering the peritoneal cavity following reflex menstruation. Our central hypothesis is that steroids, acting through local cytokines and growth factors, co-regulate ..
- Risk for New onset of Depression in Perimenopausal WomenDaniel Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2009..Having carefully gathered prospective data on psychiatric disorders and changes in menstruation, we now have a unique opportunity to evaluate the impact of the perimenopausal transition on risk of first ..
- NONINVASIVE MEASURES OF STRESS & REPRODUCTIVE STERIODSSamuel Wasser; Fiscal Year: 1991..g. menstruation and sex skin turgesence) during natural reproductive cycles and after acute challenges with exogenous hormones (..
- STEROID DYNAMICS IN ENDOCRINOLOGYERLIO GURPIDE; Fiscal Year: 1991..are considered to play an important role on dysmenorrhea and dysfunctional bleeding as well as in normal menstruation, implantation and premature or term onset of labor...
- PROSPECTIVE STUDY OF STRESS AND MOOD IN CHRONIC HEADACHEEdward Blanchard; Fiscal Year: 1999..the menstrual cycle of premenopausal women not on oral contraceptives: time of ovulation and time of onset of menstruation. The investigators believe the interrelations of these variables, HA, mood and stress, are complex...
- Botanicals from Central America for MenopauseGail Mahady; Fiscal Year: 2005Menopause is a universal female experience, and is defined as cessation of menstruation for at least 12 months during the midlife period...
- BIOLOGY OF HUMAN UTERINE NK CELLSAshley Moffett; Fiscal Year: 2004..In a non-pregnant cycle the endometrium breaks down at menstruation and a similar process occurs in a failing pregnancy at miscarriage...
- Center for Trad.Chinese Medicine & Women's HealthFredi Kronenberg; Fiscal Year: 2004..This includes major areas of menstruation, fertility, pregnancy and menopause...
- Development of Ketorolac Drug Delivery DeviceMichelle Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2002..or a vaginal ring and is designed to carry the PSI through the vaginal mucosa into uterine circulation during menstruation. This innovative approach will provide effective relief during menses to women who still experience disabling ..
- NEW DRUGS FOR THE TREATMENT OF ACNE, REVISED PLANJoseph Dunn; Fiscal Year: 2001..market category is comprised of adult women who are also susceptible to acne during certain stages of their menstruation cycle...
- MACROPHAGES, OXIDATION, AND ENDOMETRIOSISAna Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2003..There is a consensus that retrograde menstruation may account for the presence of endometrial cells in the peritoneal cavity...
- ZINC ABSORPTION IN DIABETIC PREGNANT WOMENJanet King; Fiscal Year: 1992..weeks) and late (34-36 weeks) gestation, at the 12th week of lactation, and 6 months following the onset of menstruation. As many of the women as possible will also be studied prior to conception...
- BIOBEHAVIORAL HEALTH IN DIVERSE MIDLIFE WOMENKathryn Lee; Fiscal Year: 2000..distress, and social support) and ethnic/cultural factors will also be examined (premenopausal attitudes toward menstruation, menopause, and aging; meanings and expectations of midlife)...
- DEVELOPMENT OF A VAGINAL DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEMMichelle Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2000..or a vaginal ring and is designed to carry the PS through the vaginal mucosa into uterine circulation during menstruation. This innovative approach will provide effective relief during menses to women who still experience disabling ..
- IMPACT OF PRENATAL EXPOSURE TO DIETHYLSTILBESTROLARTHUR HERBST; Fiscal Year: 1992..To collect prospective data on the menstrual function of the daughters. Menstruation is a function of the endocrine cycle of the female...
- Fetal Dioxin Exposure And The Pathology of EndometriosisKevin Osteen; Fiscal Year: 2005Endometriosis is a complex and persistent disease, which most often develops following retrograde menstruation and ectopic establishment of endometrial fragments...
- ENDOMETRIAL XENOGRAFTS IN IMMUNODEFICIENT MICEOv Slayden; Fiscal Year: 2001..normal endometrial histology, express steroid receptors, show hormonal responsiveness, and undergo normal menstruation in mice? Finally, can the effects of specific drugs on endometrial vascular development and bleeding patterns ..
- Menopausal Transition in Women with Spinal Cord InjuryClaire Kalpakjian; Fiscal Year: 2009..Study 2 will determine the effect of menstruation cessation on physiological outcomes in women with SCI...
- Menstrual Health Disparities of Low SES African-America*Patricia Koch; Fiscal Year: 2005..The TREMIN is the world's oldest longitudinal study of menstruation throughout women's live...
- BRAIN & PLATELET ADRENERGIC RECEPTORS IN DEPRESSIONAngelos Halaris; Fiscal Year: 1992..Second, it will be determined whether there is a circadian or menstruation-related variation in platelet receptor binding...
- Human Endometrial Nitric Oxide: Regulation and FunctionOmid Khorram; Fiscal Year: 2003..expression of eNOS mRNA and protein around the expected time of implantation with a decline just prior menstruation suggests that endometrial eNOS is regulated by sex steroids, and plays a role in implantation process...
- AUTOMATIC SHAPE RECOVERY OF HIPPOCAMPUS FROM BRAIN MRIBaba Vemuri; Fiscal Year: 2000..A user friendly Visualization and Menstruation Program (VAMP) will be developed as a clinical interface...
- Staging Reproductive Aging in Four Cohorts: Issues of Hormone Use Spotting BiasSioban Harlow; Fiscal Year: 2009..Results will facilitate clinical decision making for women and providers relevant to contraception, symptomatic treatment and preventive therapy. ..
- Estrogen, Metabolism, Menopause, and Health OutcomesMaryFran Sowers; Fiscal Year: 2006..This is a unique opportunity to prospectively integrate lifestyle elements with measures of hormone metabolism pathways into a comprehensive examination of multiple human health effects. ..
- HORMONAL CONTROL OF THE FEMALE REPRODUCTIVE TRACTRobert Brenner; Fiscal Year: 2004..MMPs are enzymes responsible for the tissue destruction and sloughing associated with menstruation. FLT-1, another VEGF receptor, was also transiently upregulated in the glandular cells which also produce an ..
- Control of menstrual bleeding disturbances in womenIan Fraser; Fiscal Year: 2006..tetracycline compound, Doxycycline, has strong anti-MMP action and preliminary evidence in a mouse model of menstruation suggests that it may indeed stabilize the endometrium...
- Functional Status and the Menopause TransitionMaryFran R Sowers; Fiscal Year: 2010..Among the elderly, older women live longer, develop more chronic disease and experience more prolonged and severe disability than older men. ..
- A Secular Change in Menstrual Characteristicis of Adult and Midlife Women?Sioban D Harlow; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- SWAN Sleep Study II - Michigan CenterMaryFran Sowers; Fiscal Year: 2008..The results can inform primary prevention of adverse health outcomes due to the menopause-related sleep disturbances. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Change in Bone, Arthritis, Function: Hormones & ObesityMaryFran Sowers; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- PDE3 Inhibitors: Selective Blockers of Oocyte MaturationJeffrey Jensen; Fiscal Year: 2007..This approach is expected to provide a foundation for future Phase 1 trials of PDE3 inhibitors in humans. ..
- Improving Contraceptive Effectiveness in Obese WomenAlison B Edelman; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Contraceptive efficacy and body weight: Does obesity affect the risk of failure?Alison Edelman; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DOXYCYCLINE FOR BLEEDING IN PROGESTIN ONLY CONTRACEPTORSDavid Archer; Fiscal Year: 2006..If successful, DOX treatment could become an important adjuvant for treatment of this and possibly other inflammatory disorders effecting reproductive tract tissues. ..
- Androgen deficiency and Osteopenia in Anorexia NervosaKaren Miller; Fiscal Year: 2002..In the third phase of the study, we will examine the effects of administering testosterone on bone density and body mass. ..
- BRIEF HIV RISK REDUCTION COUNSELINGSeth Kalichman; Fiscal Year: 2002..Results of the proposed study will guide the allocation of HIV prevention resources in establishing brief and effective HIV risk reduction counseling services for populations vulnerable to HIV infection. ..
- HIV TREATMENT ADHERENCE FOR PERSONS WITH LOW-LITERACYSeth Kalichman; Fiscal Year: 2002..Results of the proposed research will provide critical information about improving HIV treatment adherence with low-literacy populations that is needed prior to conducting larger and more expensive clinical trials. ..
- The Yoga for Hyperkyphosis TrialGail Greendale; Fiscal Year: 2007..At the end of this phase we will again measure study endpoints to assess whether participants have maintained the physical function achieved at the end of the RCT. ..
- Oral contraceptives and cytochrome p450 inducersAnne Davis; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Gender Violence and HIV Risk Reduction in South AfricaLeickness Simbayi; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Alcohol and HIV Risk Reduction in South AfricaSeth Kalichman; Fiscal Year: 2006..Results of the proposed research will provide critical information about the role of alcohol in HIV transmission risks and will offer urgently needed strategies for improving HIV prevention interventions in South Africa. ..
- HIV Treatment Adherence/Risk Reduction IntegratedSeth Kalichman; Fiscal Year: 2009..If shown effective, the intervention model will have implications for community and clinical services for people living with HIV-AIDS. ..
- ENDOMETRIOTIC HAPTOGLOBIN ALTERS MACROPHAGE FUNCTIONKATHY TIMMS; Fiscal Year: 2006..As a result, novel non-invasive strategies for early detection and innovative treatment of endometriosis may be developed that markedly reduce the health burden of this malady. ..