Summary: A particular category of body build, determined on the basis of certain physical characteristics. The three basic body types are ectomorph (thin physique), endomorph (rounded physique), and mesomorph (athletic physique). The typology was devised by the American psychologist William Herbert Sheldon (1899-1977). Somatotypes have been related to personality in early studies.
Publications187 found, 100 shown here
- Body image perception, satisfaction and somatotype in male and female athletes and non-athletes: results using a novel morphing techniqueArthur D Stewart
Biomedical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Foresterhill, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, UK
J Sports Sci 21:815-23. 2003..We conclude that the method is reliable and that body image includes sex-specific, anthropometric, perceptual and personality-related components...
- [Comparison of somatotype differences of soccer and handball players based on the methods of German and Anglo-American schools of constitutional biology]Christoph Raschka
Institut für Sportwissenschaften der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitit, Frankfurt am Main
Anthropol Anz 65:303-16. 2007..1 +/- 7.9 cm) very to highly significantly higher than for the smaller soccer players (body height: 178.6 +/- 5.8 cm), whereby no important proportional differences were registered...
- Anthropometric, body composition and somatotype differences of Greek elite female basketball, volleyball and handball playersI A Bayios
Department of Games and Sports, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Science, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
J Sports Med Phys Fitness 46:271-80. 2006....
- Relation between adolescent idiopathic scoliosis and morphologic somatotypesR LeBlanc
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Medical Faculty, , Succursale Centre Ville, , Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 22:2532-6. 1997..with an age-matched control group of 62 unaffected girls using a classification technique based on morphologic somatotypes. Morphotypes were evaluated with standardized pre-established criteria based on Sheldon's technique...
- Relationship between morphologic somatotypes and standing posture equilibriumP Allard
Department of Kinesiology, University of Montreal, PQ, Canada
Ann Hum Biol 28:624-33. 2001..Using anthropometric measurements, the morphologic somatotypes were defined in terms of body composition and structure...
- Body mass index: a scientific evidence-based inquiryDjalma Rabelo Ricardo
Universidade Gama Filho e Clinimex, Clínico de Medicina do Exercício, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Arq Bras Cardiol 79:61-78. 2002..To objectively and critically assess body mass index and to propose alternatives for relating body weight and height that are evidence-based and that eliminate or reduce the limitations of the body mass index...
- Sexual dimorphism from birth to age 60 in relation to the type of body shapeHolle Greil
Department of Human Biology, Institute of Biochemistry and Biology, University of Potsdam, Germany
Anthropol Anz 65:61-73. 2007....
- Comparisons of physical characteristics and performances among female collegiate rowersRebecca A Battista
Department of Kinesiology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, USA
J Sports Sci 25:651-7. 2007..Leg length was estimated and Heath-Carter anthropometric somatotypes were calculated...
- Association between somatotypes and blood pressure in an adult Chuvasha populationLeonid Kalichman
Human Population Biology Research Unit, Department of Anatomy and Anthropology, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Ann Hum Biol 31:466-76. 2004The relationship between blood pressure (BP) and anthropometrical characteristics has been indeed examined extensively, but only a few studies have investigated any connection of somatotypes to BP.
- Playboy Playmate curves: changes in facial and body feature preferences across social and economic conditionsTerry F Pettijohn
Department of Psychology, Mercyhurst College, Erie, PA 06546 0001, USA
Pers Soc Psychol Bull 30:1186-97. 2004..These results suggest that environmental security may influence perceptions and preferences for women with certain body and facial features...
- Somatotype and blood pressure of rural South African children aged 6-13 years: Ellisras longitudinal growth and health studyP J Makgae
Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education, University of the North, South Africa
Ann Hum Biol 34:240-51. 2007..However, a high endomorphy rating has been associated with hypertension in adults, posing a serious threat to their health status, while receiving little attention in children...
- Physiological variables to use in the gender comparison in highly trained runnersS Maldonado-Martin
Department of Research and Development, Medical Services, Athletic Club of Bilbao, Basque Country, Spain
J Sports Med Phys Fitness 44:8-14. 2004....
- Body change strategies in children: relationship to age and genderZ Lawrie
Children s Nutrition Research Centre, Discipline of Paediatrics and Child Health, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Eat Behav 8:357-63. 2007..The different practices used by each gender demonstrate that different body image ideals hold for boys and girls...
- [Sports anthropology investigation on female participants of the German Sports-Aerobic-Masters compared to non-sports participating young females]Christoph Raschka
Institut für Sportwissenschaft der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universität, Frankfurt am Main
Anthropol Anz 61:461-72. 2003..The aerobic group is also characterised by the smallest body fat percentage, whereas the non-exercising group shows the opposite. This is also proven by the body mass index...
- Anthropometric and physiological traits: age changes among the Oraon agricultural labourers of the Jalpaiguri District, northern West Bengal, IndiaSubrata K Roy
Anthropology and Human Genetics Unit, Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta, India
Anthropol Anz 61:445-60. 2003..e. grip strength and back strength declines after the age of 25 years or so. However, no generalization can be made out of this, because of the cross-sectional nature of the present study...
- Five-class height-weight model for systematization of seventeen-year-old recruits' anthropometric dataMart Lintsi
Centre for Physical Anthropology, Medical Faculty, University of Tartu, Tartu, Estonia
Anthropol Anz 61:435-43. 2003..In class 5 all heights and the relative bone mass were bigger. The present investigation confirms the hypothesis that the five height-weight class system is applicable to seventeen-year-old recruits...
- The usefulness of body image tests in the prevention of eating disordersChie Yamamoto
Department of International and Environmental Medical Sciences, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe 650 0017, Japan
Kobe J Med Sci 53:79-91. 2007..In this study, we conducted a survey of 12-15 year-old public junior high school students to extract factors related to abnormal eating behavior and determine what information could be used by schools to prevent eating disorders...
- [Endomorphy in childhood and adolescence as predictor of aerobic capacity]J Taeymans
Sportverletz Sportschaden 18:167-71. 2004
- Waist girth normalized to body build in obesity assessmentGrete Heinz
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 14:60-8. 2005..6/67.4). With %WD normalized for WRG, hence unaffected by intra-group or inter-group variations in the Chest Sum, %WD thresholds may better identify health risks linked to abdominal obesity than existing WG thresholds...
- Olympic lightweight and open-class rowers possess distinctive physical and proportionality characteristicsD A Kerr
Curtin University of Technology, Perth, WA, Australia
J Sports Sci 25:43-53. 2007..01). In conclusion, the rowers in this sample demonstrated distinctive physical characteristics that distinguish them from non-rowers and other sports performers...
- Anthropometric and physiological characteristics of junior elite volleyball playersM J Duncan
Newman College of Higher Education, PE and Sports Studies, Bartley Green, Birmingham, UK
Br J Sports Med 40:649-51; discussion 651. 2006..To investigate the anthropometric and physiological characteristics of junior elite volleyball players...
- [Morphological and functional characteristics of 9- to 22-year-old female athletes involved in sports aerobics]Iu S Filipova
Fiziol Cheloveka 32:98-103. 2006
- Anthropometry and somatotype of competitive female figure skaters 11-22 years. Variation by competitive level and disciplineD V Monsma
Department of Physical Education, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29072
J Sports Med Phys Fitness 45:491-500. 2005..Variation in anthropometric characteristics and somatotype of female figure skaters by level of competition and discipline was examined...
- Maturity-associated variation in the body size and proportions of elite female gymnasts 14-17 years of ageAlbrecht L Claessens
Faculty of Kinesiology and Rehabilitation Sciences, Department of Biomedical Kinesiology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Eur J Pediatr 165:186-92. 2006..The results highlight the need to consider maturity-associated variation in the body dimensions of gymnasts before attributing their characteristics to the demands of regular training...
- The superior mesenteric artery syndrome in patients with spinal deformityHaluk Altiok
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Shriners Hospitals for Children, Chicago, IL, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:2164-70. 2005..A retrospective review...
- [Anthropometric parameters and body composition in girls with Shereshevsky-Turner syndrome]Iu A Fefelova
Morfologiia 127:66-8. 2005..6%) was detected. Patients with megalosomatic constitution were rare: subathletic and auriplastic somatotypes were detected in 5.9% each, athletic somatotype was absent...
- Physique traits of lightweight rowers and their relationship to competitive successG J Slater
Australian Institute of Sport, Belconnen, Canberra, ACT 2616, Australia
Br J Sports Med 39:736-41. 2005..Physique traits and their relationship to competitive success were assessed amongst lightweight rowers competing at the 2003 Australian Rowing Championships...
- Tracking of anthropometric parameters and bioelectrical impedance in pubertal boys and girlsAire Leppik
Centre of Behavioural and Health Sciences, University of Tartu, Tartu, Estonia
Coll Antropol 30:753-60. 2006..In conclusion, our results indicate that during puberty the detailed anthropometric parameters and body impedance tracked highly. However, the tracking of PAI and Tanner stages was significant but relatively low...
- Evidence for higher heritability of somatotype compared to body mass index in female twinsVictor Machado Reis
Department of Sport Sciences, University of Tras os Montes and Alto Douro, Apartadao, Villa Real, Portugal
J Physiol Anthropol 26:9-14. 2007..42 and 0.52). The results of the present study have indicated that the somatotype may be more sensible to genetic influences than the BMI in females...
- [Age-related changes of somatotype and body mass components in girls]R V Tambovtseva
Morfologiia 127:48-51. 2005..Most sensitive time points in the time-course of somatotype establishment in girls are the ages of 12 and 14 years...
- [Somatotypic characteristic of children aged 8 to 12 years--residents of South Russia]V V Sokolov
Morfologiia 127:43-5. 2005....
- Using a height-weight classification for analysis of food energy and main nutrient contents in 24-hours menus of 17-23-year-old Estonian female studentsJana Peterson
Centre for Physical Anthropology, University of Tartu, Tartu, Estonia
Anthropol Anz 65:51-9. 2007..BMI characterises only obesity and cannot replace the characterisation of different body types. In our study, BMI of the small and the leptosomic class was almost equal, although these body types differ greatly from each other...
- Morphological characteristics of Olympic sprint canoe and kayak paddlersT R Ackland
The University of Western Australia, Australia
J Sci Med Sport 6:285-94. 2003..The morphology of elite paddlers appears to have altered during the past 25 years toward a more compact, robust physique. This trend is especially noticeable for the female competitors...
- Patients with eating disorders and their siblings. An investigation of body image perceptionsDieter Benninghoven
Clinic for Psychosomatic Medicine and Psychotherapy, University of Schleswig Holstein, Campus Luebeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, 23538 Luebeck, Germany
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 17:118-26. 2008..Body image was more negative in patients than in their sisters. Siblings of patients with eating disorders seem to be rather unimpaired in terms of body image disturbances...
- Body size, composition, and blood pressure of high-altitude Quechua from the Peruvian Central Andes (Huancavelica, 3,680 m)S Toselli
Dipartimento di Biologia Evoluzionistica Sperimentale, , Italy
Am J Hum Biol 13:539-47. 2001..Similar results are obtained when percentage fat is estimated. Somatotypes are dominant in mesomorphy with very low ectomorphy...
- Anthropometric characteristics, body composition and somatotype of elite junior tennis playersCristóbal Sánchez-Muñoz
Faculty of Physical Activity and Sport Sciences, University of Granada, Granada, Spain
Br J Sports Med 41:793-9. 2007....
- Effects of shape parameters on the attractiveness of a female bodyJ Fan
Institute of Textiles and Clothing, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Percept Mot Skills 105:117-32. 2007....
- Defining body deception and its role in peer based social comparison theories of body dissatisfactionTom Hildebrandt
Eating and Weight Disorders Program, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave L Levy Place, Box 1230, New York, NY 10029, USA
Body Image 5:299-306. 2008..An integrated model for the role of body deception in body image disturbance is proposed...
- [Criteria of dimensional typology of the face and body constitution of young men]V N Zviagin
Sud Med Ekspert 50:9-13. 2007..Estimating equations to determine individual variant of general face size and shape and male somatotype by V. V. Bunak and Shtefko-Ostrovsky schemes were done for practical use the received results...
- [Sports anthropological investigations on somatotypology of elite karateka]Jürgen Fritzsche
Institut für Biologie der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universität, Frankfurt am Main
Anthropol Anz 65:317-29. 2007The goal of this work was to find differences between the somatotypes of elite karateka. For this purpose the somatotypes of Conrad, Heath & Carter were used...
- Eating disorders in athletes: a review of the literatureS Byrne
Department of Psychology, University of Western Australia
J Sci Med Sport 4:145-59. 2001..A fourth section of the paper evaluates studies which have addressed the issue of gender differences in eating disorders among athletes. Suggestions are made for guidelines that will improve future research in this area...
- Drive for leanness: assessment and relationship to gender, gender role and objectificationLinda Smolak
Department of Psychology, Kenyon College, Gambier, OH 43022, USA
Body Image 5:251-60. 2008..DLS appeared to measure a distinct component of body image. Feminine gender role was only related to DT while masculine gender role was related to DL, DT, and DM, raising important questions about the gender differences in body image...
- The pursuit of muscularity among adolescent boys in Fiji and TongaLina A Ricciardelli
School of Psychology, Deakin University, 221 Burwood Highway, Burwood, Victoria 3125, Australia
Body Image 4:361-71. 2007..Boys' reasons for pursing muscularity included the attainment of strength and fitness, sporting performance, physical work, dominance, and health. These findings are examined in relation to previous research with Western adolescent boys...
- Assessment of male anthropometric trends and the effects on simulated heat stress responsesMiyo Yokota
Biophysics and Biomedical Modeling Division, US Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, MA, 01760 5007, USA
Eur J Appl Physiol 104:297-302. 2008..Anthropometric somatotypes were identified and physiological responses of the different somatotypes to simulated heat stress (35 degrees C/..
- Physiological and anthropometric characteristics of young soccer players according to their playing position: relevance for the selection processSusana M Gil
Faculty of Physical Activity and Sports Sciences, University of the Basque Country, Vitoria Gasteiz, Alava, Spain
J Strength Cond Res 21:438-45. 2007..These differences fit with their different workload in a game. Therefore, training programs should include specific sessions for each positional role...
- Body-image perceptions: reliability of a BMI-based Silhouette Matching TestMichael Peterson
Department of Health and Exercise Sciences, University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716, USA
Am J Health Behav 27:355-63. 2003..To assess the reliability of a BMI-based Silhouette Matching Test (BMI-SMT)...
- [Effect of anthropotechnogenic chemical factors on formation of somatotypes in children and adolescents of school age]G V Iudin
Department of Human Anatomy, Course of Operative Surgery and Topographic Anatomy, Ivanovo State Medical Academy
Morfologiia 123:86-8. 2003....
- [Short countryside children in view of anthropometric research]Urszula Czerniak
Katedra Antropologii i Biometrii AWF w Poznaniu
Pediatr Endocrinol Diabetes Metab 13:130-4. 2007..The research allow to describe which factors influence the biological development of children from the village. The aim of the study is the estimation of body build type and body proportions of short village children...
- Sex differences in relative foot length and perceived attractiveness of female feet: relationships among anthropometry, physique, and preference ratingsMartin Voracek
Department of Basic Psychological Research, School of Psychology, University of Vienna, Austria
Percept Mot Skills 104:1123-38. 2007..The preference for small feet in women was convergent across different methods of evaluating attractiveness. Directions for investigations in this emerging field of research on physical attractiveness are discussed...
- Anthropometric characteristics of elite cricket fast bowlersMax Stuelcken
School of Exercise and Sports Science, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Sydney, Lidcombe, NSW, Australia
J Sports Sci 25:1587-97. 2007..These reference data should be useful to practitioners and researchers interested in cricket. Further research is needed to clarify why only male fast bowlers had variables that were proportionally large relative to height...
- Anthropometric dimensions of male powerlifters of varying body massJustin W L Keogh
Institute of Sport and Recreation Research New Zealand, Auckland University of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand
J Sports Sci 25:1365-76. 2007....
- Physical and performance differences among forwards, defensemen, and goalies in elite women's ice hockeyChristina A Geithner
Department of Exercise Science, Gonzaga University, Spokane, WA 92258, USA
J Strength Cond Res 20:500-5. 2006..9 years of age). A full anthropometric battery was conducted on each player. Heath-Carter anthropometric somatotypes were calculated. Percent body fat (%fat) was estimated from both general and population-specific equations...
- Minimally invasive per-catheter patent ductus arteriosus occlusion in dogs using a prototype duct occluderT P Nguyenba
Veterinary Clinical Sciences Department, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota, Saint Paul, MN 55108, USA
J Vet Intern Med 22:129-34. 2008..Per-catheter patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) occlusion in dogs with devices intended for humans is associated with technical difficulties, high rates of procedure abandonment, device migration, and residual ductal flow...
- Age, body composition, and reproductive indices as predictors of radiographic hand osteoarthritis in Chuvashian womenL Kalichman
Department of Physical Therapy, The Stanley Steyer School of Health Professions, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Scand J Rheumatol 36:53-7. 2007....
- Effect of physical training on body composition in Moscow adolescentsElena Godina
Institute and Museum of Anthropology, Moscow State University, Russia
J Physiol Anthropol 26:229-34. 2007..The program included anthropometric measurements, evaluation of sexual maturation indices, somatotypes, and "functional" traits (diastolic and systolic blood pressure, pulse rate, hand grip, etc)...
- Factors affecting the work productivity of Oraon agricultural laborers of Jalpaiguri district, West BengalSubrata K Roy
Anthropology and Human Genetics Unit, Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta 700 035, India
Am J Phys Anthropol 117:228-35. 2002..This study presents anthropometric measurements, somatotypes, food intakes, energy expenditures, and work outputs of Oraon agricultural laborers of the Jalpaiguri district, ..
- Morphologic discrimination among healthy subjects and patients with progressive and nonprogressive adolescent idiopathic scoliosisR LeBlanc
Program of Biomedical Sciences, Medical Faculty, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:1109-15; discussion 1115-6. 1998..A prospective and controlled comparative study...
- The influence of gender and somatotype on single-leg upright standing postural stability in childrenAlex J Y Lee
Department of Physical Education, National Hsinchu University of Education, Hsinchu, Taiwan
J Appl Biomech 23:173-9. 2007The purpose of this study was to investigate the influence of gender and somatotypes on single-leg upright standing postural stability in children...
- [Somatotype and schizophrenia. A case-control study]G Pailhez
Institut d Atenció Psiquiátrica Salut Mental i Toxicomanies, Hospital del Mar IMAS, Unidad Docente Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona UDIMAS
Actas Esp Psiquiatr 37:258-66. 2009To compare somatotypes of schizophrenic patients and healthy controls and to examine some associations between somatic (joint mobility, somatotype) and psychopathological (anxiety, clinical seriousness and schizophrenic types) features.
- Human physique and sexual attractiveness in men and women: a New Zealand-U.S. comparative studyBarnaby J Dixson
School of Biological Sciences, Victoria University of Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
Arch Sex Behav 39:798-806. 2010..In Study 1, women in both countries rated mesomorphic (muscular) and average male somatotypes as most attractive, followed by ectomorphic (slim) and endomorphic (heavily built) figures...
- Evaluation of anthropometrical reference parameters for hemoglobin mass in endurance athletesY O Schumacher
Abtlg Sportmedizin, Medizinische Universitaetsklinik Freiburg Freiburg, Germany
J Sports Med Phys Fitness 48:509-14. 2008..The aim of the present study was therefore to evaluate three different anthropometrical parameters (body weight, body surface area [BSA] and lean body mass [LBM] with respect to tHb...
- [Experiences with development of morphological typology of the face]M A Negascheva
Lehrstuhl für Anthropologic, Fakultat fur Biologie, Lomonosow Staatsuniversität, Moskau, Russland
Anthropol Anz 58:299-308. 2000..The methods of multivariate analysis reveal steady connection between somatotypes and features of a facial structure. Though the level of correlation does not exceed 0.3-0...
- Use of 3-dimensional body scans for body-image researchTanya Domina
Department of Human Environmental Studies, 102 Wightman, Central Michigan University, Mt Pleasant, MI 48859, USA
Percept Mot Skills 106:653-8. 2008..97, kappa = .80). The potential of utilizing 3-dimensional images either as more realistic somatotypes in contour-rating scales or as a measurement of body-image satisfaction using computer manipulation of a ..
- Osteoporosis risk factors and association with somatotypes in malesMahmut Saitoglu
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Division of Rheumatology, Firat University Faculty of Medicine, Elazig, Turkey
Arch Med Res 38:746-51. 2007..Previous reports described a relationship between bone content with fat mass and lean body mass. In this study, we assessed osteoporosis risk factors and the association with somatotypes in males aged 45-65 years.
- Sex, age and caste differences in somatotypes of Rajput and scheduled caste adolescents from the Sirmour District of Himachal Pradesh, IndiaRajan Gaur
Department of Anthropology, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India
Anthropol Anz 66:81-97. 2008b>Somatotypes of a cross-sectional sample of 544 rural adolescents ranging in age from 11 to 17 years are described. The sample included 269 Rajput (141 girls and 128 boys) and 275 Scheduled Caste (135 girls and 140 boys) subjects...
- The quick and the fast: the evolution of acceleration capacity in Anolis lizardsBieke Vanhooydonck
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Tulane University, New Orleans Louisiana 70118, USA
Evolution 60:2137-47. 2006....
- [Somatotypes of male and female competitive Ju-Jutsuka]Christoph Raschka
Institut für Sportwissenschaften der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universität Frankfurt Main
Anthropol Anz 64:435-46. 2006..4 % (male competitors) to 21.8 % (male non-competitors) and 21.2 % (female competitors) to 23.6 % (female non-competitors), which appears still optimizable in comparison to other martial arts collectives...
- Penile size and somatometric parameters among Iranian normal adult menD Mehraban
Department of Urology, School of Medical Sciences, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Int J Impot Res 19:303-9. 2007....
- Somatotype, size and body composition of competitive female volleyball playersGrigoris G Malousaris
Department of Sport Games, University of Athens, Greece
J Sci Med Sport 11:337-44. 2008..These data could be added in the international literature related to the anthropometric characteristics of competitive female volleyball players...
- Quantitative analysis of the maxilla and the mandible in hyper- and hypodivergent skeletal Class II patternR Nair
Preventive Dentistry, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Orthod Craniofac Res 12:9-13. 2009..To examine the volumetric (size) difference in the maxilla and the mandible of hyper- and hypodivergent skeletal patterns in Angle class II malocclusion...
- Implementation of whole body scanner for determining somatotype index at Chang Gung Memorial HospitalT H Liu
Department of Industrial Design, Chang Gung University, Taoyuan, Taiwan, ROC
Chang Gung Med J 24:697-707. 2001..RESULTS: This study found 4 somatotypes from anthropometric data. SI determined by CGWBS has better correlation with anthropometry than WHR or BMI...
- Body shape, body size and cigarette smoking relationshipsTomaz Caks
Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ljubljana, Zaloska 4, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Int J Public Health 54:35-9. 2009..The aim of the present study was to explore whether smoking is positively related with the abdominal obesity...
- Physique as destiny: William H. Sheldon, Barbara Honeyman Heath and the struggle for hegemony in the science of somatotypingPatricia Vertinsky
School of Human Kinetics, University of British Columbia
Can Bull Med Hist 24:291-316. 2007..a constitutional psychologist who appropriated the ritual of taking posture photos for his scientific study of somatotypes, a system built upon the relationship of body type to character...
- [Imaging of painful calf in athletes]C Courthaliac
Cabinet de Radiologie, 41, avenue de Grande Bretagne, 63000 Clermont Ferrand
J Radiol 88:200-8. 2007..The contribution of the different imaging modalities will be discussed, with particular attention paid to muscular lesions. A few of the more unusual causes will be discussed...
- Variations of body physique in Santhals: an Indian tribeSudipta Ghosh
Department of Anthropology, North Eastern Hill University, Shillong 793022, Meghalaya, India
Coll Antropol 34:467-72. 2010..98-4.81-3.98 and 3.16-5.43-3.17 respectively. Variation among Santhal females is more than males in terms of their body physique. Males in general are linear and muscular, whereas females are lean to fatty, but muscular...
- Obesity and schizophreniaC Thiels
Br J Psychiatry 187:489; author reply 489. 2005
- The changing shape characteristics associated with success in world-class sprintersAdam S Watts
School of Applied Sciences, University of Wolverhampton, Wolverhampton, UK
J Sports Sci 30:1085-95. 2012..In conclusion, these results suggest that coaches, selectors, and sports scientists should consider body shape when selecting potential athletes for sprint events, encouraging more linear athletes with a high RPI...
- [Anthropometry of the Swiss junior and elite judo national team - a descriptive study]Laura Spieser
University College Physiotherapy, Thim van der Laan, Landquart, Schweiz
Sportverletz Sportschaden 26:199-203. 2012..To establish the anthropometrical characteristics and the hand grip strength of the Swiss junior and elite judo national team. The measured values were compared with data from the literature...
- [Interrelations between the constitution type and features of muscular activity energetics in sprinters and stayers]E A Lazareva
Fiziol Cheloveka 30:121-6. 2004
- Psychometric properties and construct validity of the Muscle Appearance Satisfaction Scale among Hungarian menBernadett Babusa
Semmelweis University, Institute of Behavioral Sciences, Budapest, Hungary
Body Image 9:155-62. 2012..The 18-item MASS-HU was found to be a useful measure for the assessment of muscle dysmorphia among male weight lifters...
- Variant alleles of the Wnt antagonist FRZB are determinants of hip shape and modify the relationship between hip shape and osteoarthritisJulie C Baker-Lepain
University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Arthritis Rheum 64:1457-65. 2012..To test whether single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) of the FRZB gene are associated with hip shape, and to determine whether FRZB variant alleles affect the relationship between hip shape and radiographic osteoarthritis (OA) of the hip...
- Irradiation of the inguinal lymph nodes in patients of differing body habitus: a comparison of techniques and resulting normal tissue complication probabilitiesPaul D Brown
Division of Radiation Oncology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Med Dosim 29:217-22. 2004..Technique 1 for ectomorphs and mesomorphs and techniques 2 and 6 for endomorphs were optimal techniques for providing relatively homogeneous dose distributions within the target area while minimizing the dose to the femoral heads...
- Beals-Hecht syndromeJennifer L Jones
Department of Pediatrics, Mercer University School of Medicine, Medical Center of Central Georgia, Macon 31208, USA
South Med J 95:753-5. 2002..Restrictive lung disease may be associated with the severe scoliosis and thoracic cage abnormalities in this syndrome. We describe a child with Beals-Hecht syndrome and review the literature...
- [Somatometric characteristics of normal young children and children with endocrine pathology]V V Sokolov
Department of Normal Anatomy, State Medical University, Rostov on Don
Morfologiia 122:87-90. 2002..In children with diabetes mellitus low values were found for the indices characterizing the degree of development of all anatomical somatic components...
- Mesomorphy correlates with experiential cognitive styleJeremy E C Genovese
Cleveland State University, College of Education and Human Services, Department of Curriculum and Foundations, JH 367, 2485 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44115, USA
J Genet Psychol 172:433-9. 2011..Epstein, 1994) in a sample of university students (30 women and 24 men). Anthropometric somatotypes were obtained using the Heath-Carter procedure (J. E. L. Carter, 2002)...
- Anthropometric profiles of elite older triathletes in the Ironman Brazil compared with those of young Portuguese triathletes and older BraziliansDiego A S Silva
Centre for Research in Kinanthropometry and Human Performance, Federal University of Santa Catarina, Florianopolis, Brazil
J Sports Sci 30:479-84. 2012..The findings that characterize the anthropometric profile of athletes in this sports modality could be used as a reference...
- Development of an integrated Sasang constitution diagnosis method using face, body shape, voice, and questionnaire informationJun Hyeong Do
Constitutional Medicine and Diagnosis Research Group, Medical Research Division, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine, 1672 Yuseongdae ro, Yuseong Gu, Daejeon 305 811, Republic of Korea
BMC Complement Altern Med 12:85. 2012..Thus, the diagnosis of SC type is the most crucial step in SCM practice. The diagnosis, however, tends to be subjective due to a lack of quantitative standards for SC diagnosis...
- Somatotyping using 3D anthropometry: a cluster analysisTim Olds
UNISA, Health Sciences, GPO Box 2471, Adelaide 5001, Australia
J Sports Sci 31:936-44. 2013..An objective shape quantification procedure combining 3D scanning and cluster analysis yielded shape clusters strikingly similar to traditional somatotyping...
- Variations of somatotype in elderly SardiniansR Buffa
Dipartimento di Biologia Sperimentale, Sezione di Scienze Antropologiche, Universita di Cagliari, Monserrato, Italy
Am J Hum Biol 17:403-11. 2005..b>Somatotypes were computed according to Carter and Heath (Somatotyping-Development and Applications...
- Using the implicit relational assessment procedure to compare implicit pro-thin/anti-fat attitudes of patients with anorexia nervosa and non-clinical controlsThomas Parling
Department of Psychology, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Eat Disord 20:127-43. 2012..The findings are discussed in relation to the over-evaluation of weight and shape in the clinical group...
- Somatotypological characterization of Bulgarian children and adolescents (Smolyan region)Silviya Mladenova
Plovdiv University Paisii Hilendarski, Branch Smolyan, Bulgaria
Coll Antropol 34:963-71. 2010..The results show specific age- and sex-related changes in somatotype characters, mean somatotype and inter-sex differences between values of somatotype components of both sexes...
- The impact of gender on the assessment of body checking behaviorLauren Alfano
Eating and Weight Disorders Program, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave L Levy Place, New York, NY 10029, USA
Body Image 8:20-5. 2011..Ten items were found to be unbiased by gender and provide a suitable brief measure of body checking for mixed gender research. Practical applications for body checking assessment and theoretical implications are discussed...
- Body shape and size depictions of African American women in JET magazine, 1953-2006Nana A Dawson-Andoh
Department of Psychology, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Body Image 8:86-9. 2011..Our findings suggest that the African American feminine beauty ideal reflects both consistencies with and departures from mainstream cultural ideals...
- Role of adolescent female volleyball players' psychophysiological properties and body build in performance of different elements of the gameRaini Stamm
Institute of Sport Pedagogy, Faculty of Exercise and Sport Sciences, University of Tartu, Estonia
Percept Mot Skills 101:108-20. 2005..Consequently, to improve young volleyball players' performance, everyday coaching should be complemented by detailed assessment of their body build and psychophysiological characteristics...
- Head and trunk segment moments of inertia estimation using angular momentum technique: validity and sensitivity analysisMohsen Damavandi
Human Movement Laboratory, Research Centre, Saint Justine Hospital, Montreal, QC H3T 1C5, Canada
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 58:1278-85. 2011....
- Intraspecific variation in body size and shape in an andean highland anole species, Anolis ventrimaculatus (Squamata: Dactyloidae)Martha L Calderón-Espinosa
Grupo de Biodiversidad y Sistemática Molecular, Instituto de Ciencias Naturales, Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Sede Bogotá, Colombia
Rev Biol Trop 61:255-62. 2013..Ecological, behavioral, additional morphological as well as phylogenetic data, may help to understand the evolutionary processes behind the geographic patterns found in this species...
- Anthropoecological investigations in Central AsiaTatyana I Alexeeva
Institute and Museum of Anthropology, Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia
J Physiol Anthropol Appl Human Sci 24:285-7. 2005..The differences observed between various populations of the region may be explained by ecological reasons and not only by ethnic differentiation...
- The devastating outcome of massive subcutaneous injection of highly viscous fluids in male-to-female transsexualsJ J Hage
Departments of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Academisch Ziekenhuis Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Plast Reconstr Surg 107:734-41. 2001..In view of the potential dangers, feminization by the injection of high-viscosity fluids should be soundly condemned...
- Heritabilities of somatotype components in a population from rural MozambiqueSílvio Pedro José Saranga
Biodynamic Department, Pedagogic University of Maputo, Maputo, Mozambique
Am J Hum Biol 20:642-6. 2008..Lack of proper nutrition, housing, medical assistance, and primary health care, together with very demanding and sex-specific daily chores may contribute to the environmental effects on these traits...
- [Effect of different somatotypes on the intensity of changes of indices of height and body mass during early childhood]M A Kornev
Department of Human Anatomy, St Petersburg State Pediatric Medical Academy
Morfologiia 123:72-5. 2003..This regularity was found in all the somatotypes with the exclusion of the boys of macrosomal type aged 6-7 years, in whom the maximal reduction of growth of ..
- Short term exposure to attractive and muscular singers in music video clips negatively affects men's body image and moodK E Mulgrew
School of Social Sciences, University of the Sunshine Coast, Maroochydore DC, QLD 4558, Australia
Body Image 9:543-6. 2012..These preliminary findings suggest that even short term exposure to music clips can produce negative effects on men's body image and mood...
- Weight cycling and mortality in womenAlison Field; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Genetics of Menopause - A Pilot StudySiu Hui; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The Effects of Parenting and Family Functioning on Adolescent BehaviorJelani Mandara; Fiscal Year: 2007..If so, it will have important implications for the design and success of larger studies and family-based prevention interventions. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CONSEQUENCES AND CORRELATES OF WEIGHT FLUCTUATIONSAlison Field; Fiscal Year: 2002..Conversely, if only unintentional weight loss is associated with increased risk, then the current recommendations for overweight people to lose weight or at least not gain weight would be appropriate. ..
- Weight Maintenance among Youth and Middle-Aged WomenAlison Field; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Assessment of Appearance and Performance Enhancing Drug UseThomas Hildebrandt; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Social transition and risk for disordered eatingAnne Becker; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Outcome of Adolescent-Onset Eating DisordersAnna Bardone Cone; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The Development of Eating Disorders in Males and FemalesAlison Field; Fiscal Year: 2006..Moreover, since this is the only large prospective cohort study to assess the development of eating disorders in males, our results will make a lasting contribution to the field. ..
- Internet Weight Control Program for Bingeing AdolescentsCraig Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposal focuses on issues directly relevant to NIDDK priorities and the Surgeon General's call to action to prevent and decrease pediatric overweight and obesity, which is a serious public health concern. ..
- Weight Control and Weight Change Among AdolescentAlison Field; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Obesity and Psychopathology: Longitudinal Study of YouthAviva Must; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- INTERVENTIONS TO REDUCE EATING DISORDER RISK FACTORSC Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2004..The application focuses on issues relevant to recently described NIMH priorities in prevention. Developing and evaluating interventions to reduce eating disorders in this high-risk population is of extreme public health importance. ..
- IMPACT OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY AND GROWTH ON MORTALITYAviva Must; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- 1/2-Preventing Eating Disorders and Reducing ComorbidityCBARR BARR TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2010..If so, this finding, combined with our previous research would have a major public health impact on reducing eating disorder rates. ..