Genomes and Genes
Summary: Cellular signaling in which a factor secreted by a cell affects other cells in the local environment. This term is often used to denote the action of INTERCELLULAR SIGNALING PEPTIDES AND PROTEINS on surrounding cells.
Publications234 found, 100 shown here
- Stromal fibroblasts present in invasive human breast carcinomas promote tumor growth and angiogenesis through elevated SDF-1/CXCL12 secretionAkira Orimo
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Cell 121:335-48. 2005..Our findings indicate that fibroblasts within invasive breast carcinomas contribute to tumor promotion in large part through the secretion of SDF-1...
- Bone marrow stem cells prevent left ventricular remodeling of ischemic heart through paracrine signalingRyota Uemura
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0529, USA
Circ Res 98:1414-21. 2006..Preconditioning of BMSCs enhanced their survival and ability to attenuate LV remodeling, which was attributable, in part, to paracrine effects...
- Marrow-derived stromal cells express genes encoding a broad spectrum of arteriogenic cytokines and promote in vitro and in vivo arteriogenesis through paracrine mechanismsT Kinnaird
Cardiovascular Research Institute, Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Circ Res 94:678-85. 2004..These data indicate that paracrine signaling is an important mediator of bone marrow cell therapy in tissue ischemia, and that cell incorporation into vessels is not a prerequisite for their effects...
- Relative roles of direct regeneration versus paracrine effects of human cardiosphere-derived cells transplanted into infarcted miceIsotta Chimenti
Cedars Sinai Heart Institute, 8700 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Circ Res 106:971-80. 2010..Most prominent among these are direct heart muscle and blood vessel regeneration from transplanted cells, as opposed to paracrine enhancement of tissue preservation and/or recruitment of endogenous repair...
- Reduction of myocardial infarct size by human mesenchymal stem cell conditioned mediumLeo Timmers
Department of Cardiology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Stem Cell Res 1:129-37. 2007....
- Local delivery of marrow-derived stromal cells augments collateral perfusion through paracrine mechanismsT Kinnaird
Cardiovascular Research Institute, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Circulation 109:1543-9. 2004..Bone marrow cell therapy is reported to contribute to collateral formation through cell incorporation into new or remodeling vessels. However, the possible role of a paracrine contribution to this effect is less well characterized...
- Exosomes from human CD34(+) stem cells mediate their proangiogenic paracrine activitySusmita Sahoo
Feinberg Cardiovascular Research Institute, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Circ Res 109:724-8. 2011..Previous studies have suggested that paracrine factors secreted by these proangiogenic cells are responsible, at least in part, for the angiogenic effects induced by CD34(+) cell transplantation...
- Intracoronary administration of cardiac progenitor cells alleviates left ventricular dysfunction in rats with a 30-day-old infarctionXian Liang Tang
Institute of Molecular Cardiology, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Circulation 121:293-305. 2010..Therefore, we sought to determine whether CPCs are beneficial in the more clinically relevant setting of an old MI (scar)...
- Basal release of ATP: an autocrine-paracrine mechanism for cell regulationRoss Corriden
Departments of Pharmacology and Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Sci Signal 3:re1. 2010..Basal release and autocrine or paracrine responses to ATP are multifunctional, evolutionarily conserved, and provide an economical means for the modulation of cell, tissue, and organismal biology...
- Non-canonical activation of GLI transcription factors: implications for targeted anti-cancer therapyMatthias Lauth
Karolinska Institutet, Center for Biosciences, Department of Biosciences and Nutrition, Novum Research Park, Huddinge, Sweden
Cell Cycle 6:2458-63. 2007....
- Control of mammary stem cell function by steroid hormone signallingMarie Liesse Asselin-Labat
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Parkville, Victoria 3052, Australia
Nature 465:798-802. 2010..These findings further indicate that breast cancer chemoprevention may be achieved, in part, through suppression of MaSC function...
- Paracrine/endocrine mechanism of stem cells on kidney repair: role of microvesicle-mediated transfer of genetic informationGiovanni Camussi
Department of Internal Medicine, Center for Molecular Biotechnology and Center for Research in Experimental Medicine CeRMS, University of Torino, Torino, Italy
Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 19:7-12. 2010..This review focuses on microvesicle-mediated transfer of genetic information between stem cells and injured tissue as a paracrine/endocrine mechanism...
- Gene expression analysis of macrophages that facilitate tumor invasion supports a role for Wnt-signaling in mediating their activity in primary mammary tumorsLaureen S Ojalvo
Department of Developmental and Molecular Biology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
J Immunol 184:702-12. 2010..Taken together, we conjecture that invasive TAMs link angiogenesis and tumor invasion and that Wnt-signaling plays a role in mediating their activity...
- Paracrine effects of CD34 progenitor cells on angiogenic endothelial sproutingRobert J Scheubel
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Halle Saale, Germany
Int J Cardiol 139:134-41. 2010..The present study was designed to test whether progenitor cells maintain their activation pattern of cytokine secretion and capillary-like endothelial sprout attraction under conditions of hypoxia induced angiogenic activation...
- Cellular basis for paracrine regulation of ovarian follicle developmentD F Albertini
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Reproduction 121:647-53. 2001..This article summarizes evidence to support a model for bi-directional paracrine communication that is based on developmental regulation of the delivery and reception of paracrine factors at the ..
- Role of autocrine/paracrine mechanisms in response to myocardial strainHoracio E Cingolani
Centro de Investigaciones Cardiovasculares, Facultad de Ciencias Medicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, Calle 60 y 120, 1900, La Plata, Argentina
Pflugers Arch 462:29-38. 2011..The evidence for each step of the intracellular signaling pathway leading to the development of SFR and their relationship with the mechanisms proposed for cardiac hypertrophy development will be analyzed...
- An autocrine/paracrine mechanism triggered by myocardial stretch induces changes in contractilityH E Cingolani
Centro de Investigaciones Cardiovasculares, , Universidad Nacional de La Plata, 1900 La Plata, Argentina
News Physiol Sci 16:88-91. 2001..The autocrine/paracrine mechanism could explain how changes in afterload alter cardiac contractility...
- IFATS collection: Adipose stromal cell differentiation is reduced by endothelial cell contact and paracrine communication: role of canonical Wnt signalingGangaraju Rajashekhar
Indiana Center for Vascular Biology and Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Stem Cells 26:2674-81. 2008..It is tempting to speculate that abnormal endothelial function may be associated with pathologic derepression of adipogenesis. Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article...
- Heterotypic signaling between epithelial tumor cells and fibroblasts in carcinoma formationB Elenbaas
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, USA
Exp Cell Res 264:169-84. 2001....
- Paracrine factors secreted by endothelial progenitor cells prevent oxidative stress-induced apoptosis of mature endothelial cellsZijiang Yang
Division of Vascular Medicine, Swiss Cardiovascular Center, Inselspital, Bern University Hospital, University of Bern, Freiburgstrasse, CH 3010 Bern, Switzerland
Atherosclerosis 211:103-9. 2010....
- Wnt/beta-catenin signaling mediates oval cell response in rodentsUdayan Apte
Department of Pathology Cellular and Molecular Pathology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Hepatology 47:288-95. 2008..A dramatic decrease in the A6-positive oval cell numbers in the absence of beta-catenin demonstrated a critical role of beta-catenin in oval cell biology...
- Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) is an autocrine excitatory transmitter in human pancreatic beta-cellsMatthias Braun
Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Oxford, Churchill Hospital, Oxford, UK
Diabetes 59:1694-701. 2010..Paracrine signaling via gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) and GABA(A) receptors (GABA(A)Rs) has been documented in rodent islets. Here we have studied the importance of GABAergic signaling in human pancreatic islets...
- A paracrine role for the epithelial progesterone receptor in mammary gland developmentC Brisken
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research and Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:5076-81. 1998....
- VEGF is critical for stem cell-mediated cardioprotection and a crucial paracrine factor for defining the age threshold in adult and neonatal stem cell functionTroy A Markel
Department of Surgery, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 295:H2308-14. 2008..Therefore, VEGF is a critical paracrine mediator in facilitating postischemic myocardial recovery and likely plays a role in mediating the observed age threshold during stem cell therapy...
- Differentiating embryonic stem cells pass through 'temporal windows' that mark responsiveness to exogenous and paracrine mesendoderm inducing signalsSteven A Jackson
Monash Immunology and Stem Cell Laboratories, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
PLoS ONE 5:e10706. 2010..Mesendoderm induction during embryonic stem cell (ESC) differentiation in vitro is stimulated by the Transforming Growth Factor and Wingless (Wnt) families of growth factors...
- Adiponectin is a novel humoral vasodilatorGábor Fésüs
Charite University Medicine Berlin, Germany
Cardiovasc Res 75:719-27. 2007..We tested the hypothesis that ADRF might be adiponectin and that adiponectin plays a role in the paracrine control of vascular tone by perivascular adipose tissue...
- Paracrine role for periadventitial adipose tissue in the regulation of arterial toneMaik Gollasch
LSU Health Sciences Center, Physiology, 1901 Perdido Street, Box P7 3, New Orleans, LA 70112 1393, USA
Trends Pharmacol Sci 25:647-53. 2004..Furthermore, ADRF and perhaps its putative targets might represent exciting new targets for the development of drugs to treat cardiovascular disorders...
- Identification of BMP and activin membrane-bound inhibitor (BAMBI) as a potent negative regulator of adipogenesis and modulator of autocrine/paracrine adipogenic factorsXiao Luo
Laboratory of Animal Fat Deposition and Muscle Development, College of Animal Science and Technology, Northwest A and F University, Yangling, Shaanxi, People s Republic of China
Diabetes 61:124-36. 2012..Alterations in BAMBI may play a role in the (patho)physiology of obesity, and manipulation of BAMBI may present a novel therapeutic approach to improve adipose tissue function...
- Injury switches melatonin production source from endocrine (pineal) to paracrine (phagocytes) - melatonin in human colostrum and colostrum phagocytesGerlândia N Pontes
Laboratory of Chronopharmacology, Department of Physiology, Institute of Bioscience, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Pineal Res 41:136-41. 2006..These results suggest that during the response to an injury the production of melatonin can be transiently shifted from an endocrine (pineal) to a paracrine (immunocompetent cells) source...
- Improved function and myocardial repair of infarcted heart by intracoronary injection of mesenchymal stem cell-derived growth factorsBa Khoi Nguyen
Cardiac Surgery, Montreal University Hospital Centre CHUM, Montreal, QC, Canada
J Cardiovasc Transl Res 3:547-58. 2010..MSC-derived growth factors injection (rather than MSC themselves) should be evaluated as a novel therapy to treat ischemic heart disease, avoiding many practical and technical issues of cell therapy...
- Intrafollicular paracrine communication in the zebrafish ovary: the state of the art of an emerging model for the study of vertebrate folliculogenesisWei Ge
Department of Biology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, New Territories, China
Mol Cell Endocrinol 237:1-10. 2005..This article provides the state of the art of zebrafish as a model for analyzing ovarian development and its regulation...
- Glia-pinealocyte network: the paracrine modulation of melatonin synthesis by tumor necrosis factor (TNF)Sanseray da Silveira Cruz-Machado
Laboratory of Chronopharmacology, Institute of Biosciences, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
PLoS ONE 7:e40142. 2012..The current study demonstrates the molecular and cellular basis for understanding how melatonin synthesis is regulated during an innate immune response, thus our results reinforce the role of the pineal gland as sensor of immune status...
- Mesenchymal stromal cells affect cardiomyocyte growth through juxtacrine Notch-1/Jagged-1 signaling and paracrine mechanisms: clues for cardiac regenerationChiara Sassoli
Dept of Human Anatomy, Histology and Forensic Medicine, University of Florence, Viale G B Morgagni, 85, 50134 Florence, Italy
J Mol Cell Cardiol 51:399-408. 2011....
- Paracrine transactivation of the CB1 cannabinoid receptor by AT1 angiotensin and other Gq/11 protein-coupled receptorsGabor Turu
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
J Biol Chem 284:16914-21. 2009..These data suggest that, in addition to their retrograde neurotransmitter role, endocannabinoids have much broader paracrine mediator functions during activation of G(q/11)-coupled receptors...
- Androgenic regulation of hedgehog signaling pathway components in prostate cancer cellsMengqian Chen
Cancer Center, The Ordway Research Institute, 150 New Scotland Avenue, Albany, NY 12208, USA
Cell Cycle 8:149-57. 2009..This consideration supports the idea of clinically testing hedgehog-blocking drugs in conjunction with ADT in patients with advanced prostate cancer...
- Prostate tumor progression is mediated by a paracrine TGF-beta/Wnt3a signaling axisX Li
Department of Urologic Surgery, The Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Oncogene 27:7118-30. 2008..In conclusion, the frequent loss of stromal TGF-beta type II receptor expression in human prostate cancer can relieve the paracrine suppression of Wnt3a expression...
- Mesenchymal stem cells induce dermal fibroblast responses to injuryAndria N Smith
University of Washington, Campus Box 359796, 300 9th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Exp Cell Res 316:48-54. 2010..These observations suggest that mesenchymal stem cells may provide an important early signal for dermal fibroblast responses to cutaneous injury...
- Sonic hedgehog paracrine signaling regulates metastasis and lymphangiogenesis in pancreatic cancerJ M Bailey
Eppley Institute for Research in Cancer and Allied Diseases, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 5950, USA
Oncogene 28:3513-25. 2009..These data support the hypothesis that SHH, secreted from pancreatic epithelia, is critical in establishing and regulating the tumor microenvironment and thereby contributes to progression of pancreatic cancer...
- Role of secretory protease inhibitor SPINK3 in mouse uterus during early pregnancyWen Chen
State Key Laboratory of Reproductive Biology, Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100010, People s Republic of China
Cell Tissue Res 341:441-51. 2010..Thus, uterine-gland-derived SPINK3, as a new paracrine modulator, might play an important role in embryo implantation through its influence on stromal decidualization in mice...
- Evidence supporting paracrine hypothesis for Akt-modified mesenchymal stem cell-mediated cardiac protection and functional improvementMassimiliano Gnecchi
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
FASEB J 20:661-9. 2006..Taken together, our data support Akt-MSC-mediated paracrine mechanisms of myocardial protection and functional improvement...
- Signaling by extracellular nucleotides in anterior pituitary cellsS S Stojilkovic
Endocrinology and Reproduction Research Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, 20892 4510, Bethesda MD, USA
Trends Endocrinol Metab 12:218-25. 2001..The A(1)R subtype of these receptors is expressed in melanotrophs and GH(3) cells. In this review, we briefly discuss the expression and coupling of A(1)R and P2Y(2)R, and focus on the expression and Ca(2+) signaling of P2XRs...
- Angiogenesis-independent endothelial protection of liver: role of VEGFR-1Jennifer LeCouter
Departments of Molecular Oncology, Protein Engineering, and Pathology, Genentech Inc, 1 DNA Way, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
Science 299:890-3. 2003..Thus, VEGFR-1 agonists may have therapeutic potential for preservation of organ function in certain liver disorders...
- Mammary ductal morphogenesis requires paracrine activation of stromal EGFR via ADAM17-dependent shedding of epithelial amphiregulinMark D Sternlicht
Department of Anatomy, University of California, 513 Parnassus Ave, San Francisco, CA 94143 0452, USA
Development 132:3923-33. 2005..Thus, ADAM17 plays a crucial role in mammary morphogenesis by releasing AREG from mammary epithelial cells, thereby eliciting paracrine activation of stromal EGFR and reciprocal responses that regulate mammary epithelial development...
- Paracrinology of islets and the paracrinopathy of diabetesRoger H Unger
Department of Internal Medicine, Touchstone Center for Diabetes Research, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:16009-12. 2010..These results have considerable medical implications, as they suggest new approaches to normalize the extreme volatility of glycemia in diabetic patients...
- Intermedin functions as a pituitary paracrine factor regulating prolactin releaseChia Lin Chang
Stanford University School of Medicine, Division of Reproductive Biology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Stanford, California 94305 5317, USA
Mol Endocrinol 19:2824-38. 2005....
- Rat anterior pituitary folliculostellate cells are targets of interleukin-1beta and a major source of intrapituitary follistatinLouise M Bilezikjian
Clayton Foundation Laboratories for Peptide Biology, The Salk Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Endocrinology 144:732-40. 2003....
- Intracoronary angiotensin II causes inotropic and vascular effects via different paracrine mechanismsJesus R Castillo-Hernandez
Departamento de Fisiologia, Facultad de Medicina, UASLP, Av Venustiano Carranza 2405, San Luis Potosi, SLP 78210, Mexico
Vascul Pharmacol 41:147-58. 2004..Thus, the +I and +V distinct effects by intracoronary Ang II indicate that its diverse mechanism of action along the coronary vascular tree may be due to a functionally heterogeneous endothelium...
- Perivascular adipose tissue-derived complement 3 is required for adventitial fibroblast functions and adventitial remodeling in deoxycorticosterone acetate-salt hypertensive ratsCheng Chao Ruan
Laboratory of Vascular Biology and Key Laboratory of Stem Cell Biology, Institute of Health Sciences, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences and Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 30:2568-74. 2010..To examine the role of perivascular adipose tissue (PVAT)-derived factors in the regulation of adventitial fibroblast (AF) function in vitro and in vivo...
- 3D microchannel co-culture: method and biological validationMaret Bauer
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Integr Biol (Camb) 2:371-8. 2010..g. automated liquid handlers, scanners)...
- Paracrine sonic hedgehog signalling by prostate cancer cells induces osteoblast differentiationSamantha M Zunich
Department of Pediatrics, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Children s Memorial Research Center, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Mol Cancer 8:12. 2009..The present study determined the effect of Shh signalling between prostate cancer cells and pre-osteoblasts on osteoblast differentiation, a requisite process for new bone formation that characterizes prostate carcinoma metastasis...
- Embryonic stem cells attenuate myocardial dysfunction and inflammation after surgical global ischemia via paracrine actionsPaul R Crisostomo
Departments of Surgery, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 295:H1726-35. 2008..Moreover, ESCs in cell culture demonstrated greater pluripotency than MSCs. ESC paracrine protective mechanisms in surgical ischemia are superior to those of adult stem cells...
- Oocyte-secreted factors: regulators of cumulus cell function and oocyte qualityRobert B Gilchrist
Research Centre for Reproductive Health, School of Paediatrics and Reproductive Health, Discipline of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Medical School, University of Adelaide, Adelaide 5005, Australia
Hum Reprod Update 14:159-77. 2008....
- Bone-marrow-derived cells for enhancing collateral development: mechanisms, animal data, and initial clinical experiencesTim Kinnaird
Cardiovascular Research Institute, MedStar Research Institute, Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC, USA
Circ Res 95:354-63. 2004....
- Autocrine/paracrine regulation of pituitary function by activin, inhibin and follistatinLouise M Bilezikjian
Clayton Foundation Laboratories for Peptide Biology, The Salk Institute, 10010 N Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 225:29-36. 2004..The aim of this review is to highlight and evaluate experimental evidence that supports the roles of activins, inhibins, and follistatins as autocrine, paracrine, and/or endocrine modulators of the pituitary...
- Paracrine regulation of keratinocyte proliferation and differentiationS Werner
Institute of Cell Biology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, ETH Honggerberg, CH 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Trends Cell Biol 11:143-6. 2001....
- Endothelial progenitor cell-based neovascularization: implications for therapyGuido Krenning
Stem Cell and Tissue Engineering Research Group, Department Pathology and Medical Biology, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Hanzeplein 1 EA11, NL 9713GZ Groningen, The Netherlands
Trends Mol Med 15:180-9. 2009..In future therapies, clinical administration of these paracrine modulators using slow-release depots might induce neovascularization and might therefore hold promise for vascular regenerative medicine...
- Allogeneic mesenchymal stem cell transplantation in postinfarcted rat myocardium: short- and long-term effectsWangde Dai
The Heart Institute, Good Samaritan Hospital, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine of Keck School of Medicine at University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CalifA 90017, USA
Circulation 112:214-23. 2005..We studied short- and long-term effects of MSC transplantation on left ventricular (LV) function in a rat myocardial infarction model...
- Characterization of the paracrine effects of human skeletal myoblasts transplanted in infarcted myocardiumMaitane Perez-Ilzarbe
Hematology, Cardiology and Cell Therapy, Clínica Universitaria and Division of Cancer, Foundation for Applied Medical Research, Division of Cancer, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
Eur J Heart Fail 10:1065-72. 2008....
- Targeting stroma to treat cancersBoris Engels
Department of Pathology, Committee on Cancer Biology, Committee on Immunology, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637 5420, USA
Semin Cancer Biol 22:41-9. 2012..Therefore, we will also discuss conditions where stromal targeting can eradicate large established tumors. Finally, we will examine still unanswered questions of this promising and exciting area of cancer research...
- Computational model and microfluidic platform for the investigation of paracrine and autocrine signaling in mouse embryonic stem cellsDavid Ellison
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University School of Engineering, Clark Hall 208C, 3400 North Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
Mol Biosyst 5:1004-12. 2009..We suggest that the described computational/experimental platform can be used to identify and study specific factors and pathways involved in a wide variety of paracrine signaling systems...
- Oncogenic BRAF induces senescence and apoptosis through pathways mediated by the secreted protein IGFBP7Narendra Wajapeyee
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Programs in Gene Function and Expression and Molecular Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
Cell 132:363-74. 2008..Immunohistochemical analysis of human skin, nevi, and melanoma samples implicates loss of IGFBP7 expression as a critical step in melanoma genesis...
- The immune-pineal axis: a shuttle between endocrine and paracrine melatonin sourcesRegina P Markus
Laboratory of Chronopharmacology, Department of Physiology, Institute of Bioscience, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brasil
Neuroimmunomodulation 14:126-33. 2007..In summary, the immune-pineal axis, implicated in the sequential involvement of the melatonin produced by the pineal gland and immune-competent cells, is an integral participant of the innate immune response...
- Shedding of syndecan-1 by stromal fibroblasts stimulates human breast cancer cell proliferation via FGF2 activationGui Su
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53705, USA
J Biol Chem 282:14906-15. 2007..This paracrine pathway may provide an opportunity for the therapeutic disruption of stromaepithelial signaling...
- Paracrine action enhances the effects of autologous mesenchymal stem cell transplantation on vascular regeneration in rat model of myocardial infarctionYao Liang Tang
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, College of Medicine, University of South Florida, St Petersburg, Florida, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 80:229-36; discussion 236-7. 2005..We hypothesize that transplantation of MSCs enhances vascular regeneration through a paracrine action...
- The effects of smoking on the developing lung: insights from a biologic model for lung development, homeostasis, and repairVirender K Rehan
Department of Pediatrics, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute at Harbor UCLA, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, 1124 West Carson Street, Torrance, CA 90502, USA
Lung 187:281-9. 2009....
- Time and length scales of autocrine signals in three dimensionsMathieu Coppey
Department of Chemical Engineering and Lewis Sigler Institute for Integrative Genomics, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey, USA
Biophys J 93:1917-22. 2007..Interferon signaling by dendritic immune cells is considered as an illustration...
- K(ATP)-channels and glucose-regulated glucagon secretionPatrik Rorsman
Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Oxford, Churchill Hospital, Oxford OX3 7LJ, UK
Trends Endocrinol Metab 19:277-84. 2008..Here we consider the possible mechanisms involved with a focus on ATP-regulated K(+)-channels and changes in alpha-cell membrane potential...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in cartilage neovascularization and chondrocyte differentiation: auto-paracrine role during endochondral bone formationM F Carlevaro
Istituto Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro, Centro di Biotecnologie Avanzate, Genova, Italy
J Cell Sci 113:59-69. 2000..Furthermore, VEGF receptor localization and signal transduction in chondrocytes strongly support the hypothesis of a VEGF autocrine activity also in morphogenesis and differentiation of a mesoderm derived cell...
- Function of stem cell factor as a survival factor of spermatogonia and localization of messenger ribonucleic acid in the rat seminiferous epitheliumH Hakovirta
Department of Anatomy, University of Turku, Finland
Endocrinology 140:1492-8. 1999..The results of the present study suggest that SCF is a Sertoli cell-produced paracrine regulator and acts as a survival factor for spermatogonia in the adult rat seminiferous epithelium in a stage-specific manner...
- ApoE-mediated cholesterol efflux from macrophages: separation of autocrine and paracrine effectsDwayne E Dove
Department of Pathology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 383 Preston Research Bldg, Nashville, TN 37232 6300, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 288:C586-92. 2005..Furthermore, autocrine effects of apoE could be critical in the prevention of foam cell formation in vivo. This novel methodology may be applicable to other types of mixed autocrine/paracrine systems, such as signal transduction systems...
- Progenitor cell therapy in a porcine acute myocardial infarction model induces cardiac hypertrophy, mediated by paracrine secretion of cardiotrophic factors including TGFbeta1Brendan Doyle
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Stem Cells Dev 17:941-51. 2008....
- Paracrine effect of transplanted rib chondrocyte spheroids supports formation of secondary cartilage repair tissueKolja Gelse
Department of Orthopaedic Trauma Surgery, University Hospital Erlangen, Erlangen, Germany
J Orthop Res 27:1216-25. 2009..Transplanted chondrocyte spheroids exert a dual function: they provide cells for the repair tissue and have a stimulatory paracrine activity, which promotes ingrowth and chondrogenesis of bone marrow-derived cells...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor plays an important autocrine/paracrine role in the progression of osteoarthritisEiji Tanaka
Department of Orthodontics and Craniofacial Developmental Biology, Hiroshima University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Minami Ku, 734 8553 Hiroshima, Japan
Histochem Cell Biol 123:275-81. 2005..The results suggest that VEGF plays an important role in the progression of OA...
- Mammary gland branching morphogenesis is diminished in mice with a deficiency of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I), but not in mice with a liver-specific deletion of IGF-IR Gregg Richards
Hormones and Cancer Group, Laboratory of Molecular Carcinogenesis, National Institute of Environmental and Health Science, P O Box 12233, MD D4 04, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
Endocrinology 145:3106-10. 2004..On the basis of these findings, we propose that paracrine, not endocrine, IGF-I is important for mammary branching morphogenesis...
- In vivo evidence that the stromelysin-3 metalloproteinase contributes in a paracrine manner to epithelial cell malignancyR Masson
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Institut National de la Sant e et de la Recherche M edicale, Universit e Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France
J Cell Biol 140:1535-41. 1998..Therefore, ST3 represents an appropriate target for specific MMP inhibitor(s) in future therapeutical approaches directed against the stromal compartment of human carcinomas...
- Urocortin: a mechanism for the sustained activation of the HPA axis in the late-gestation ovine fetus?Alison C Holloway
Department of Physiology, Canadian Institute for Health Research Groups in Fetal and Neonatal Health and Development, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M55 1A8, Canada
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 283:E165-71. 2002..Regulation of urocortin by cortisol suggests a mechanism to override negative feedback and sustain feedforward of fetal hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal function, leading to birth...
- Stimulation of porcine pituitary luteinizing hormone release by galanin: putative auto/paracrine regulationF Elsaesser
Federal Agricultural Research Centre FAL, Institute for Animal Science and Animal Behaviour, Department of Functional Genomics and Bioregulation, Mariensee, Höltystrasse 10, D 31535 Neustadt, Germany
Neuroendocrinology 74:288-99. 2001..Our findings do not provide convincing evidence to support the notion that intrapituitary galanin is involved in the fine tuning of LH secretion, at least in the preovulatory pig...
- Serotonin regulates mammary gland development via an autocrine-paracrine loopManabu Matsuda
Department of Molecular and Cellular Physiology, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45221, USA
Dev Cell 6:193-203. 2004..Thus, autocrine-paracrine serotonin signaling is an important regulator of mammary homeostasis and early involution...
- Targeted ablation of gonadotrophs in transgenic mice depresses prolactin but not growth hormone gene expression at birth as measured by quantitative mRNA detectionHugo Vankelecom
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Laboratory of Cell Pharmacology, University of Leuven K U Leuven, Medical School, Campus Gasthuisberg O and N, BE 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Biomed Sci 10:805-12. 2003..In conclusion, the present data support the hypothesis that embryonic development of PRL gene expression is stimulated by gonadotrophs...
- Paracrine and autocrine regulation of epidermal growth factor-like factors in cumulus oocyte complexes and granulosa cells: key roles for prostaglandin synthase 2 and progesterone receptorMasayuki Shimada
Department of Molecular Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Mol Endocrinol 20:1352-65. 2006....
- Calcitonin is expressed in gonadotropes of the anterior pituitary gland: its possible role in paracrine regulation of lactotrope functionY Ren
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, 1300 Coulter, Amarillo, Texas 79106, USA
J Endocrinol 171:217-28. 2001....
- Reduction of T cell-derived ghrelin enhances proinflammatory cytokine expression: implications for age-associated increases in inflammationVishwa D Dixit
Laboratory of Immunology, National Institute on Aging Intramural Research Program, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Blood 113:5202-5. 2009..These findings demonstrate that ghrelin functions in an autocrine and paracrine capacity to regulate proinflammatory cytokine expression in human and murine T cells and may contribute in regulating "inflamm-aging."..
- Myoepithelial cells: autocrine and paracrine suppressors of breast cancer progressionSanford H Barsky
Department of Pathology, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia 10:249-60. 2005....
- Cortical and retinal defects caused by dosage-dependent reductions in VEGF-A paracrine signalingJody J Haigh
Mount Sinai Hospital, Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Toronto, Canada
Dev Biol 262:225-41. 2003..VEGF-A dosage is therefore a critical parameter regulating the density of the vascular plexus in the developing CNS that is in turn a key determinant in the development and architectural organization of the nervous system...
- Paracrine regulation of FSH by follistatin in folliculostellate cell-enriched primate pituitary cell culturesSatoru Kawakami
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Endocrinology 143:2250-8. 2002....
- Rapid, efficient isolation of murine gonadotropes and their use in revealing control of follicle-stimulating hormone by paracrine pituitary factorsJoyce C Wu
Department of Molecular and Structural Biochemistry, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina 27695 7622, USA
Endocrinology 145:5832-9. 2004..The study presented here describes a rapid, reliable, and efficient method for isolating any specialized cell type, including all cells that produce endocrine hormones...
- The airway cholinergic system: physiology and pharmacologyK Racke
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Bonn, Reuterstrasse 2b, D 53113 Bonn, Germany
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 17:181-98. 2004..The effects of acetylcholine on different target cells, smooth muscles, nerves, surface epithelial and secretory cells as well as mast cells are described in detail, including the receptor subtypes involved in signal transmission...
- Occurrence of immunoreactive Activin/Inhibin beta(B) in thyrotropes and gonadotropes in the bullfrog pituitary: possible Paracrine/Autocrine effects of activin B on gonadotropin secretionH Uchiyama
Department of Environmental Science, Yokohama City University, 22 2 Seto, Kanazawa Ku, Yokohama, 236 0027, Japan
Gen Comp Endocrinol 118:68-76. 2000..This is the first study on the effect of activin on pituitary hormone secretion in lower tetrapods...
- Neutrophil secretion products pave the way for inflammatory monocytesOliver Soehnlein
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Blood 112:1461-71. 2008..This cellular cross-talk functionally results in enhanced cytokine levels and increased bacterial clearance, thus boosting the early immune response...
- Autocrine/paracrine action of pituitary vasoactive intestinal peptide on lactotroph hyperplasia induced by estrogenOSCAR GOMEZ
Servicio de Endocrinologia, Hospital Ramon y Cajal, 28034 Madrid, Spain
Endocrinology 144:4403-9. 2003..These data suggest that pituitary VIP mediates the effect of E on lactotroph hyperplasia, pituitary TGF-beta1, and angiogenesis...
- VEGF-null cells require PDGFR alpha signaling-mediated stromal fibroblast recruitment for tumorigenesisJianying Dong
Department of Molecular Oncology, Genentech Inc, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
EMBO J 23:2800-10. 2004..Thus, PDGFR alpha signaling is required for the recruitment of VEGF-producing stromal fibroblasts for tumor angiogenesis and growth. Our findings highlight a novel aspect of PDGFR alpha signaling in tumorigenesis...
- Gonadotropic control of ovarian follicular growth and developmentS G Hillier
Reproductive Medicine Laboratory, Department of Reproductive and Developmental Sciences, University of Edinburgh Centre for Reproductive Biology, 37 Chalmers Street, Edinburgh EH3 9EW, UK
Mol Cell Endocrinol 179:39-46. 2001..Preovulatory granulosa cells also increase their ability to metabolise cortisone to cortisol, which may be part of a local anti-inflammatory mechanism to promote rapid healing of the ruptured ovarian surface...
- Evidence for a novel intrapituitary autocrine/paracrine feedback loop regulating growth hormone synthesis and secretion in grass carp pituitary cells by functional interactions between gonadotrophs and somatotrophsHong Zhou
Department of Zoology, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, People s Republic of China
Endocrinology 145:5548-59. 2004..This feedback loop may represent a novel mechanism regulating GH release and synthesis in lower vertebrates...
- Wnt7b stimulates embryonic lung growth by coordinately increasing the replication of epithelium and mesenchymeJayaraj Rajagopal
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard Stem Cell Institute, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Development 135:1625-34. 2008..Together, these cascades result in the coordinated proliferation of adjacent epithelial and mesenchymal cells to stimulate organ growth with few alterations in differentiation and patterning...
- TLR2 expression in astrocytes is induced by TNF-alpha- and NF-kappa B-dependent pathwaysNirmal K Phulwani
Department of Neurobiology and Developmental Sciences, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
J Immunol 181:3841-9. 2008..Overall, this study suggests that two important anti-bacterial effector molecules, TLR2 and NO, are regulated, in part, by NF-kappaB-dependent autocrine/paracrine effects of TNF-alpha in astrocytes...
- Granulocyte-colony stimulating factor promotes liver repair and induces oval cell migration and proliferation in ratsAnna C Piscaglia
Department of Pathology, Immunology and Laboratory Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Gastroenterology 133:619-31. 2007..In the present study, we assessed the involvement of G-CSF during oval cell activation...
- Autocrine production of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) affects paracellular transport across epithelial cells in vitroJulie M D Paye
Department of Chemical Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg 24061, Virginia, USA
Cell Commun Adhes 14:85-98. 2007....
- VEGF regulates haematopoietic stem cell survival by an internal autocrine loop mechanismHans Peter Gerber
Department of Molecular Oncology, Genentech, Inc, 1 DNA Way, South San Francisco, California 94080, USA
Nature 417:954-8. 2002..Not only ligands selective for VEGF and VEGFR-2 but also VEGFR-1 agonists rescued survival and repopulation of VEGF-deficient HSCs, revealing a function for VEGFR-1 signalling during haematopoiesis...
- Adrenomedullin, an autocrine/paracrine factor induced by androgen withdrawal, stimulates 'neuroendocrine phenotype' in LNCaP prostate tumor cellsC Berenguer
Inserm E 359, Marseille, France
Oncogene 27:506-18. 2008..Together, these results demonstrate that AM may function as a mediator of NE-like differentiation in culture as well as in vivo and indicate that its production may be important for tumor resurgence following androgen ablation...
- Epiregulin as a major autocrine/paracrine factor released from ERK- and p38MAPK-activated vascular smooth muscle cellsMasanori Takahashi
Department of Neuroscience, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine D13, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Circulation 108:2524-9. 2003..In this study, we sought to identify the dedifferentiation factor(s) derived from vascular SMCs (VSMCs)...
- Human decidual natural killer cells as a source and target of macrophage migration inhibitory factorF Arcuri
Department of Human Pathology and Oncology, Section of Pathology, University of Siena School of Medicine, Via delle Scotte 6, 53100 Siena, Italy
Reproduction 131:175-82. 2006..These findings indicate the existence of a previously unrevealed paracrine and autocrine action of MIF on uNK cells and support its contribution to the immune privilege at the maternal-foetal interface...
- Inter-Cellular Signaling of Invastion Receptors in the Tumor MicroenvironmentAthan Kuliopulos; Fiscal Year: 2010..VEGF, IL-6 and GM-CSF in a variety of cell types including prostate cancer, but the role of PAR1 in paracrine communication in cancer has not been directly addressed...
- CATECHOLAMINE BIOSYNTHESIS IN THE OOCYTEGary Smith; Fiscal Year: 2000..the building blocks for future experiments elucidating the functional importance of a catecholaminergic paracrine communication system between the oocyte and its follicular environment...
- CELL SUBPOPULATIONS IN THE PRIMATE CORPUS LUTEUMRichard Stouffer; Fiscal Year: 2001..the primate corpus luteum; 3) investigate the factors controlling VEGF expression; 4) determine whether paracrine communication between luteal cells and endothelial cells via VEGF-Flt-1/KDR receptors regulates the development and ..
- Fibroblast Growth Factor signaling in Pancreatic IsletsJONATHAN ROCHELEAU; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will examine whether FGF is involved in regulating insulin secretion, and whether FGF enhances the survival of insulin secreting beta-cells. ..
- A COORDINATED PROGRAM IN REPRODUCTIVE BIOLOGYGEORGE GERTON; Fiscal Year: 2006..e., autocrine and paracrine communication)...
- MECHANICAL LOADING AND PTH INTERACTIONS IN BONECharles Turner; Fiscal Year: 1999..involved in the anabolic response are identified, further studies may be done to assess cell-to-cell paracrine communication, receptor expression, etc...
- PITUITARY CELLS TO STUDY MALE INFERTILITYSTEPHEN WINTERS; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- PPAR gamma Signaling and Lung Fibroblast TransdifferentiationVirender Rehan; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Endocrine Disruptors and Fetal DevelopmentVasantha Padmanabhan; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Bisphenol-A and the Reproductive DysfunctionVasantha Padmanabhan; Fiscal Year: 2008..The findings will be relevant to research on fetal origin of infertility and the threat estrogenic environmental disruptors at current exposure levels pose to human health. ..
- Effects of Myostatin Deficiency on Bone StrengthMark Hamrick; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- NEUROENDOCRINE CONTROL OF FSHVasantha Padmanabhan; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Reproductive Consequences of Prenatal AndrogenizationVasantha Padmanabhan; Fiscal Year: 2005..Specifically it will establish that discrete, experimentally induced androgen excess of fetal sheep provides the first clear etiology for hyperandrogenic anovulation in adulthood. ..
- Progenitor cell pretreatment against acute surgical I/RDaniel Meldrum; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Bioinformatics for Protein MicroarraysRichard Zangar; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Host factors involved in bacterial pathogenesisNorbert Perrimon; Fiscal Year: 2009..tuberculosis and its human host. ..
- TRANSDUCTION MECHANISMS IN GUSTATIONM Herness; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Aging impairs stem-cell mediated myocardial repairJoshua Hare; Fiscal Year: 2008..Taken together, our studies will help guide the development of age-specific treatment strategies employing cellular cardiomyoplasty. ..
- CELLULAR PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF ACUTE RENAL FAILUREJoel Weinberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Inhibin Actions on Reproductive Target TissuesTeresa Woodruff; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Organization of the lens core syncytiumValery Shestopalov; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] This research project will help reveal new aspects of lens development, aging and cataract formation. ..
- Dedifferentiation Following Renal Cell InjuryShougang Zhuang; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies will increase our knowledge of the mechanisms of RPTC dedifferentiation after injury and may contribute to the development of novel treatment for patients with ARF. ..
- Dissecting lymphocyte chemotaxis using synthetic chemokine-releasing microspheresDARRELL IRVINE; Fiscal Year: 2009..These results will have implications for understanding how trafficking in the immune system is regulated and will shed light on how chemokines might be targeted to inhibit or enhance ectopic lymphoid tissue formation for immunotherapy. ..
- COBRE FOR SIGNAL TRANSDUCTION AND CANCERLaura F Gibson; Fiscal Year: 2010..Accomplishment of these goals will help the MBRCC to establish an NCI designated Clinical Cancer Center that serves West Virginia and the surrounding Appalachian region. ..
- Pancreatic Cancer Protein Biomarkers for Early DetectionTeresa A Brentnall; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Chronological Age-Dependent Genomic Instability in YeastValter D Longo; Fiscal Year: 2010..Thus, chronologically aging S. cerevisiae can serve as a model to identify genes that regulate genomic instability and understand the mechanisms responsible for age-dependent DNA mutations and cancer in mammals. ..
- Neurotrophin Signaling in Multiple MyelomaRoger N Pearse; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- NEW APPROACH TO ENDOTHELIAL CLEFT STRUCTUREFitz Roy E Curry; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our experiments evaluate the common mechanical properties of the endothelial glycocalyx that modulate water, solute, leukocyte, and red cell fluxes at the endothelial cell surface. ..
- Biomarkers of UC TumorigenesisTeresa A Brentnall; Fiscal Year: 2010..Both of these goals will help provide the underpinnings for development of cancer prevention strategies in the future. ..
- Renin activation in early diabetesJanos Peti Peterdi; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies should yield clinically important information that can be used to develop new drugs and therapeutic approaches for the better treatment of diabetic complications in the kidney as well as high blood pressure. ..
- Signal Transduction and Cytokine Gene Regulation by GrailChen Dong; Fiscal Year: 2008..These proposed studies will greatly advance our knowledge on Grail function in T cells and give an important insight into T cell signal transduction and gene regulation programs in immune responses. ..
- Carcinogenicity of EstrogensDAVID SPINK; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies may elucidate roles of estrogen in the regulation of Ah responsiveness, CYP1 expression, and carcinogen bioactivation that may lead to novel breast cancer chemoprevention strategies. ..
- Myocardial regeneration in ischemic cardiomyopathyMarc Penn; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Central ACE2, Blood Pressure Regulation and HypertensionEric Lazartigues; Fiscal Year: 2008..Evidence of a role of ACE2 in the regulation of BP could lead to the development of new therapeutics as well as a better utilization of existing therapeutics for the treatment of hypertension and other CV diseases. ..
- FUNCTION OF THE GLI GENES IN SONIC HEDGEHOG SIGNALINGAriel Ruiz i Altaba; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, the knowledge of how the SHH-GLI pathway affects brain precursors will help our understanding of how brain tumors arise, an area of research covered under a different, yet related, project in the laboratory. ..
- CELL CELL INTERACTIONS IN PROSTATE CANCERGerald Cunha; Fiscal Year: 2001..These studies should define critical cellular and molecular pathways in both normal and tumorigenic growth of the prostate, and should provide the biological basis of new therapeutic strategies. ..
- Primed Stroma: A Tumor Permissive MicroenvironmentEdna Cukierman; Fiscal Year: 2005..Developing therapeutic approaches focusing on containing cancer as a chronic and innocuous disease is our ultimate goal. ..
- BOSTON AIDS MALIGNANCY CONSORTIUMDavid Scadden; Fiscal Year: 2004..Furthering the efforts of the BAMC within the national consortium is the focus of this proposal. ..
- Vaccine-driven modulation of dendritic cell traffickingDARRELL IRVINE; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- IMPROVEMENT OF MEMBRANE BIOLOGY FACILITYFITZ ROY CURRY; Fiscal Year: 2002..That project addressed other laboratory and basic infrastructure deficiencies in the same building that contains the subject laboratories in the current application. ..
- Gordon Conference on Neurotrophic Factors (2003,2005)Barbara Hempstead; Fiscal Year: 2005..Hempstead and Y.-A. Barde) to profile new and young investigators as speakers in this Conference and for them to have a leadership role at this meeting. ..
- Conference on Cell Polarity & Asymmetric Cell DivisionsNorbert Perrimon; Fiscal Year: 2004..The goal of the meeting is to bring together the leading experts that study the mechanism of cell polarization and cell asymmetry to discuss emerging concepts. ..
- High-throughput screen:Listeria infection (RMI)Norbert Perrimon; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Development and regeneration of auditory interneuronsHADLEY HORCH; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Stromal Epithelial Interactions in Breast CancerGerald Cunha; Fiscal Year: 2004..To accomplish these goals we will use tissue recombinant technology, cell and organ culture, immunocytochemistry, and various molecular methodologies. ..
- NEUROTROPHINS AND CARDIOGENESISBarbara Hempstead; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Imaging Cytokine Transfer at the Immunological SynapseDARRELL IRVINE; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- UAB SIG Supporting Flow Cytometry & High Speed Cell SortingRobert Carter; Fiscal Year: 2006..Combined with efforts by the Facility in investigator education and outreach, this proposal will significantly improve the flow cytometry services in support of NIH funded projects at UAB. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Glucose-dependent Insulinotropic Peptide & Bone TurnoverCarlos Isales; Fiscal Year: 2006..This in turn may signal GIP as a potential hormone target for pharmacologic intervention in bone pathologies such as osteoporosis. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Endocrine Regulation of Hepatocellular CarcinogenesisRobert Bigsby; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- OXIDATIVE STRESS IN HEART FAILURE: MECHANISMSJoshua Hare; Fiscal Year: 2008..Finally, the present studies in 3 highly relevant animal models will provide mechanistic insights complementary to those expected from ongoing clinical trials designed to test the utility of XO inhibitors in human HF therapy. ..
- UAB Autoimmunity Center for ExcellenceCHARLES ELSON; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- ROLE OF STROMA IN MAMMARY GLAND CELL PROLIFERATIONSANDRA HASLAM; Fiscal Year: 2007..The long-term goal of this proposal is the delineation of the mechanisms of P-dependent growth regulation in the adult normal mammary gland that may lead to novel strategies for the prevention and treatment of breast cancer. ..
- FEEDBACK REGULATION OF NEUROGENESIS IN MAMMALSANNE CALOF; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will provide insights into the molecular mechanisms by which neuron number -- and therefore, ultimately, function -- are regulated during development and regeneration of the mammalian nervous system. ..
- Viral Immunity in DrosophilaNorbert Perrimon; Fiscal Year: 2007..Because our insect virus system is sensitive to drugs that are used against human viruses, our studies may lead to the identification of novel antiviral compounds that may prove effective in mammalian cells. ..
- TNFalpha as a potential target for liver cancer prophyl*Eli Pikarsky; Fiscal Year: 2006..Understanding the mechanisms underlying the response to this treatment and the mechanisms of escape may help to plan effective treatment regimens for clinical studies. ..
- Regulation of biliary secretion by purinergic signalingAndrew Feranchak; Fiscal Year: 2006..The Mentored Clinical Scientist Development Award will provide the protected time, resources, and mentored environment to allow the applicant to achieve these goals. ..
- The Role of Mast Cells in Lung InflammationJoshua Boyce; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies, carried out in non-transformed hPrMC and hMC, have potential implications for the control of hMC distribution and effector function in asthma. ..
- Breast Cancer-Proximal Stroma Interaction & AromataseSerdar E Bulun; Fiscal Year: 2010..noncarrier controls. Proposed studies may lead to new pilot trials of treatment and prevention using p38/JNK inhibitors in BRCA1 mutation carriers. ..
- Conference on Angiogenesis in Cancer and Other DiseasesRakesh Jain; Fiscal Year: 2002..The meeting's synthesis of available information will be particularly thought-provoking for students and post- doctoral fellows. ..
- The role of NFkB in glia-neuron crosstalk in glaucomaValery Shestopalov; Fiscal Year: 2008..The methodology that will be tested here and the results that will be obtained in this feasibility study can be utilized to search for and test new potential therapeutic targets for glaucoma. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Sixteenth Ovarian WorkshopTeresa Woodruff; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..