Genomes and Genes
Summary: A surgical specialty concerned with the structure and function of the eye and the medical and surgical treatment of its defects and diseases.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications353 found, 100 shown here
- The Iowa ophthalmology wet laboratory curriculum for teaching and assessing cataract surgical competencyAndrew G Lee
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Ophthalmology 114:e21-6. 2007To describe an ophthalmology wet laboratory (OWL) curriculum for residents in training.
- [Low complication rate with cataract operations carried out by registrars in ophthalmology]M C A Pot
Universitair Medisch Centrum Utrecht, afd Oogheelkunde, E03 316, Postbus 85 500, 3508 GA Utrecht
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 152:563-8. 2008To determine the complication rate of cataract operations and learning curve of registrars in ophthalmology.
- Anti-vascular endothelial growth factor pharmacotherapy for diabetic macular edema: a report by the American Academy of OphthalmologyAllen C Ho
American Academy of Ophthalmology, San Francisco, California, USA
Ophthalmology 119:2179-88. 2012..To review the evidence regarding the safety and efficacy of current anti-vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) pharmacotherapies for the treatment of diabetic macular edema (DME)...
- Descemet's stripping endothelial keratoplasty: safety and outcomes: a report by the American Academy of OphthalmologyW Barry Lee
Eye Consultants of Atlanta, 3225 Cumberland Boulevard, Atlanta, GA 30339, USA
Ophthalmology 116:1818-30. 2009..To review the published literature on safety and outcomes of Descemet's stripping endothelial keratoplasty (DSEK) for the surgical treatment of endothelial diseases of the cornea...
- Implementation of national diabetes retinal screening programme is associated with a lower proportion of patients referred to ophthalmologyG P Leese
Ninewells Hospital, Dundee, UK
Diabet Med 22:1112-5. 2005To examine the impact of a new national retinal screening programme on screening attendance, technical quality of images, and referrals to the ophthalmology clinic.
- Advances in the use of adhesives in ophthalmologyStanley M Chan
Cornea Service, Hopital Maisonneuve Rosemont, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Curr Opin Ophthalmol 15:305-10. 2004..To summarize the known uses of available medical tissue adhesives in the management of diseases of the anterior segment, highlighting recent developments in the field...
- Phakic intraocular lens implantation for the correction of myopia: a report by the American Academy of OphthalmologyDavid Huang
Ophthalmology 116:2244-58. 2009..To review the published literature for evaluation of the safety and outcomes of phakic intraocular lens (pIOL) implantation for the correction of myopia and myopic astigmatism...
- Deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty as an alternative to penetrating keratoplasty a report by the american academy of ophthalmologyWilliam J Reinhart
Department of Ophthalmology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Ophthalmology 118:209-18. 2011....
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in ophthalmologyStephen J Kim
Department of Ophthalmology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Surv Ophthalmol 55:108-33. 2010Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are increasingly employed in ophthalmology to reduce miosis and inflammation, manage scleritis, and prevent and treat cystoid macular edema associated with cataract surgery...
- Laser in situ keratomileusis for myopia and astigmatism: safety and efficacy: a report by the American Academy of OphthalmologyAlan Sugar
Ophthalmic Technology Assessment Committee 2000 2001 Refractive Surgery Panel
Ophthalmology 109:175-87. 2002..This document describes laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK) for myopia and astigmatism and examines the evidence to answer key questions about the efficacy and safety of the procedure...
- Adalimumab (Humira™): a promising monoclonal anti-tumor necrosis factor alpha in ophthalmologyPiergiorgio Neri
The Eye Clinic, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Ospedali Riuniti di Ancona, Ancona, Italy
Int Ophthalmol 31:165-73. 2011..Adalimumab is a promising drug for the therapy of uveitis, although further studies are needed on its application in uveitis...
- Statistical methods for conducting agreement (comparison of clinical tests) and precision (repeatability or reproducibility) studies in optometry and ophthalmologyColm McAlinden
NH and MRC Centre for Clinical Eye Research, Department of Optometry and Vision Science, Flinders Medical Centre and Flinders University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
Ophthalmic Physiol Opt 31:330-8. 2011..Its step-by-step use and practical considerations in relation to optometry and ophthalmology are detailed in addition to sample size considerations and statistical approaches to precision (repeatability ..
- LASIK for hyperopia, hyperopic astigmatism, and mixed astigmatism: a report by the American Academy of OphthalmologyGary A Varley
Ophthalmology 111:1604-17. 2004..To describe LASIK for hyperopia, hyperopia with astigmatism, and mixed astigmatism and to examine the evidence to answer questions about the safety and efficacy of the procedure...
- Survey of systematic reviews and meta-analyses published in ophthalmologyHaoyu Chen
Joint Shantou International Eye Center, Shantou University and The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shantou, China
Br J Ophthalmol 96:896-9. 2012To analyse the types of systematic reviews and meta-analyses published in the field of ophthalmology.
- The management of retinal vein occlusion: is interventional ophthalmology the way forward?H Shahid
Prince Charles Eye Unit, King Edward VII Hospital, Windsor, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 90:627-39. 2006..RVOs occur at significantly high frequency to allow future prospective randomised controlled studies to be conducted to evaluate the role of different therapeutic modalities singly or in combination...
- The use of teleglaucoma at the University of AlbertaFaazil Kassam
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Alberta, 2317, 10240 Kingsway Avenue NW, Edmonton, AB T5H 3V9, Canada
J Telemed Telecare 18:367-73. 2012..Teleglaucoma is currently being used as a screening tool at the Aga Khan University Hospital in Nairobi with mobile units equipped with a fundus camera and a visual field machine...
- Small-gauge pars plana vitrectomy: a report by the American Academy of OphthalmologyFranco M Recchia
Division of Vitreoretinal Diseases and Surgery, Vanderbilt Eye Institute, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Ophthalmology 117:1851-7. 2010..To review available peer-reviewed publications to evaluate the safety profile and visual outcomes associated with small-gauge pars plana vitrectomy...
- Optic nerve head and retinal nerve fiber layer analysis: a report by the American Academy of OphthalmologyShan C Lin
Ophthalmology 114:1937-49. 2007..To evaluate the current published literature on the use of optic nerve head (ONH) and retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL) measurement devices in diagnosing open-angle glaucoma and detecting progression...
- Reported eye care utilization and health insurance status among US adultsDavid J Lee
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33101, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 127:303-10. 2009..To estimate prevalence and correlates of eye care utilization by means of data from the National Health Interview Survey...
- Novel glaucoma procedures: a report by the American Academy of OphthalmologyBrian A Francis
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Ophthalmology 118:1466-80. 2011....
- Application of tele-ophthalmology in remote diagnosis and management of adnexal and orbital diseasesMalay Verma
Medical and Vision Research Foundation, Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai 600 006, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 57:381-4. 2009..To assess the feasibility of making a diagnosis of adnexal and orbital diseases by Tele-ophthalmological means...
- The economic burden of dry eye: a conceptual framework and preliminary assessmentPrabashni Reddy
Abt Associates Inc, 55 Wheeler Street, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Cornea 23:751-61. 2004..To develop a conceptual framework for analyzing the economic burden of dry eye and a preliminary assessment of key factors that contribute to that burden...
- Aqueous shunts in glaucoma: a report by the American Academy of OphthalmologyDon S Minckler
Ophthalmology 115:1089-98. 2008..Santa Ana, CA], Krupin [Eagle Vision, Inc, Memphis, TN], Molteno [Molteno Ophthalmic Ltd., Dunedin, New Zealand]) to control intraocular pressure (IOP) in various glaucomas...
- The annual cost of dry eye syndrome in France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom among patients managed by ophthalmologistsJohn P Clegg
CATALYST Health Economics Consultants, Northwood, Middlesex, UK
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 13:263-74. 2006....
- Development of the 25-item National Eye Institute Visual Function QuestionnaireC M Mangione
Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, Department of Medicine, UCLA, 911 Broxton Plaza, Box 951736, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1736, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 119:1050-8. 2001..study of persons with 1 of 5 chronic eye diseases or low vision who were scheduled for nonurgent visits in ophthalmology practices and a reference sample of persons without eye disease...
- Prevalence and severity of diabetic retinopathy in Northwest Cameroon as identified by teleophthalmologyImran Jivraj
Department of Ophthalmology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Telemed J E Health 17:294-8. 2011..The present study is the first to characterize the prevalence and severity of diabetic retinopathy and other ocular pathologies in a population of patients with diabetes who live in Northwest Cameroon using teleophthalmology...
- Burnout in chairs of academic departments of ophthalmologyOscar A Cruz
Department of Ophthalmology, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63104, USA
Ophthalmology 114:2350-5. 2007To evaluate the incidence of burnout in chairs of academic departments of ophthalmology, identify stressors, and propose methods for reducing and preventing burnout in our academic leaders.
- The Sankara Nethralaya mobile teleophthalmology model for comprehensive eye care delivery in rural IndiaSheila John
Department of Teleophthalmology, Medical Research Foundation, Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai, India
Telemed J E Health 18:382-7. 2012..We introduced mobile units for comprehensive eye care delivery and have successfully conducted eye camps over the past 1.5 years...
- The development of competency-based education for mid-level eye care professionals: a process to foster an appropriate, widely accepted and socially accountable initiativeR Du Toit
The Fred Hollows Foundation New Zealand, Newmarket, Auckland, New Zealand
Educ Health (Abingdon) 23:368. 2010..The Western Pacific region has a dearth of appropriately educated eye care providers, training programs and large and increasing eye health needs...
- Impact of a structured surgical curriculum on ophthalmic resident cataract surgery complication ratesGina M Rogers
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 35:1956-60. 2009To determine whether institution of a structured surgical curriculum for ophthalmology residents decreased the rate of sentinel surgical complications.
- Objective structured assessment of cataract surgical skillGeorge M Saleh
Department of Ophthalmology, Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford, England
Arch Ophthalmol 125:363-6. 2007..To evaluate the Objective Structured Assessment of Cataract Surgical Skill scoring system...
- Human resource development for Vision 2020 in developing countries: a change from absolute numbersFeyi G Adepoju
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Health Sciences, University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Nigeria
Eur J Ophthalmol 21:820-5. 2011..To critically review the numbers, distribution, staff mix, and productivity of eye care workers (ECW) in Kwara State, north central Nigeria...
- Recent advances in shotgun lipidomics and their implication for vision research and ophthalmologySanjoy K Bhattacharya
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Curr Eye Res 38:417-27. 2013..We also provide a brief account of database and bioinformatic tools that have been recently developed toward profiling, identification and quantification of lipids in complex biological mixtures...
- A modeled economic analysis of a digital tele-ophthalmology system as used by three federal health care agencies for detecting proliferative diabetic retinopathyJohn D Whited
Center for Health Services Research in Primary Care, VA Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Telemed J E Health 11:641-51. 2005..this study was to compare, using a 12-month time frame, the cost-effectiveness of a non-mydriatic digital tele-ophthalmology system (Joslin Vision Network) versus traditional clinic-based ophthalmoscopy examinations with pupil dilation ..
- United Kingdom National Ophthalmology Database study of vitreoretinal surgery: report 2, macular holeTimothy L Jackson
King s College London, London, United Kingdom
Ophthalmology 120:629-34. 2013..To study macular hole (MH) surgery in terms of baseline demographics, intraoperative complications, post-vitrectomy cataract, reoperation, and visual outcome...
- Applications of liposomes in ophthalmologyShehab Ebrahim
Department of Ophthalmology, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Surv Ophthalmol 50:167-82. 2005This review outlines the applications of liposomal formulations in ophthalmology. In ophthalmology, liposomes have been used to treat disorders of both the anterior and posterior segments...
- Outcomes of referrals by community optometrists to a hospital glaucoma serviceB Bowling
Oxford Eye Hospital, Radcliffe Infirmary, Woodstock Road, Oxford, OX2 6HE, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 89:1102-4. 2005..To determine the outcomes resulting from optometric referrals to a specialist glaucoma screening clinic over a 10 year period...
- Mouse experimental myopia has features of primate myopiaTatiana V Tkatchenko
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:1297-303. 2010..The purpose of this study was to carry out an in vivo high-resolution analysis of changes in ocular components and refractive state of the eye upon induction of experimental myopia in mice...
- Nanomedicine in ophthalmology: the new frontierMarco A Zarbin
Institute of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, New Jersey Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 90 Bergen Street, Newark, NJ, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 150:144-162.e2. 2010..To review the fields of nanotechnology and nanomedicine as they relate to the development of treatments for vision-threatening disorders...
- Using the CanMEDS roles when interviewing for an ophthalmology residency programPatrick Hamel
Department of Ophthalmology, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Que
Can J Ophthalmol 42:299-304. 2007To improve the admissions process for the Université de Montréal (UdeM) ophthalmology residency program, the interview structure was modified to encompass the seven CanMEDS roles introduced by the Royal College of Physicians and ..
- Cataract surgery rates in latin america: a four-year longitudinal study of 19 countriesVan C Lansingh
Fundacion Vision, Asuncion, Paraguay, Fundacion Hugo Nano, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness VISION 2020 LA office, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 17:75-81. 2010..To collect cataract surgery rates data in 19 Latin American countries over a 4-year period as data published to date have been limited...
- Use of eye care services among diabetic patients in urban and rural ChinaDandan Wang
State Key Laboratory of Ophthalmology, Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Ophthalmology 117:1755-62. 2010..To assess the use of eye care and its predictors among diabetic patients in China...
- Pediatric ophthalmology in the developing worldJennifer M Maida
Department of Ophthalmology, Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19140, USA
Curr Opin Ophthalmol 19:403-8. 2008..The focus of this paper is to discuss the status of pediatric ophthalmology in developing countries and the progress that has been made in the areas of avoidable childhood blindness and ..
- Medical student education in ophthalmology: crisis and opportunityDavid A Quillen
Ophthalmology 112:1867-8. 2005
- Patterns of prescription and drug use in ophthalmology in a tertiary hospital in DelhiN R Biswas
Dr Rajendra Prasad Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029, India
Br J Clin Pharmacol 51:267-9. 2001The present study was carried out to describe the patterns of prescription and drug use in Ophthalmology in out-patients at Dr Rajendra Prasad (R.P.) Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences of All India Institute of Medical Sciences (A.I.I.M.S...
- An analysis of undergraduate ophthalmology training in CanadaJason Noble
Department of Ophthalmology and Vision Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont, Canada
Can J Ophthalmol 44:513-8. 2009To investigate the adequacy of undergraduate ophthalmology education in Canada in comparison with the International Council of Ophthalmology (ICO) guidelines.
- Nordic research in ophthalmologyEinar Stefansson
University of Iceland, Reykjavik, Iceland
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 81:556-66. 2003..To provide an overview of some of the current activities in eye research in the Nordic countries...
- Telehealth practice recommendations for diabetic retinopathyJerry Cavallerano
Telemed J E Health 10:469-82. 2004..quot;Telehealth Practice Recommendations for Diabetic Retinopathy" will be annually reviewed and updated to reflect evolving technologies and clinical guidelines...
- Review of third-and fourth-generation fluoroquinolones in ophthalmology: in-vitro and in-vivo efficacyStephen V Scoper
Virginia Eye Consultants, Norfolk, Virginia 23502, USA
Adv Ther 25:979-94. 2008..5%, was recently introduced, demonstrating increased ocular penetration compared with gatifloxacin 0.3% but clinical equivalence to its second-generation parent, ofloxacin 0.3%, in two randomized trials...
- Retinal imaging with polarization-sensitive optical coherence tomography and adaptive opticsBarry Cense
Indiana University, School of Optometry, Bloomington IN 47405, USA
Opt Express 17:21634-51. 2009..Moreover, fast axis orientation and degree of polarization uniformity measurements made with AO-PS-OCT demonstrate polarization scrambling in the retinal pigment epithelium at the highest resolution reported to date...
- Recommendations on screening for chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine retinopathy: a report by the American Academy of OphthalmologyMichael F Marmor
Ophthalmology 109:1377-82. 2002
- Unregistered visual impairment: is registration a failing system?R J Barry
Academic Unit of Ophthalmology, Division of Immunity and Infection, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 89:995-8. 2005..To assess the current level of under-registration of blindness and partial sight among patients attending a large teaching hospital, and to determine any risk factors for under-registration...
- Femtosecond lasers in ophthalmologyH Kaz Soong
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, W K Kellogg Eye Center, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 147:189-197.e2. 2009To provide an update and review of femtosecond (FS) lasers in clinical ophthalmology.
- Review of findings of the Andhra Pradesh Eye Disease Study: policy implications for eye-care servicesR Dandona
International Centre for Advancement of Rural Eye Care, L V Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 49:215-34. 2001..1 million and 31.6 million in 2010 and 2020 respectively, if the current trend continues. This review summarizes the findings of APEDS and discusses the implications of these data on the policy and planning of eye-care services...
- Applications of nanoparticles in ophthalmologyYolanda Diebold
Instituto de Oftalmobiología Aplicada IOBA, Universidad de Valladolid, Valladolid, Spain
Prog Retin Eye Res 29:596-609. 2010..Also, it explores the future possibilities of nanoparticles not only as drug delivery systems but also as aides for diagnostic purposes...
- Neuroprotection in ophthalmology: a reviewYaniv Barkana
Department of Ophthalmology, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Zerifin, Israel
Brain Res Bull 62:447-53. 2004..In this work, we review the current knowledge from neuroprotection research using in vitro and animal models of eye diseases, and clinical data...
- AIDS and ophthalmology: the first quarter centuryGary N Holland
Ocular Inflammatory Disease Center, Jules Stein Eye Institute and the Department of Ophthalmology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 145:397-408. 2008....
- Use of a standardized patient satisfaction questionnaire to assess the quality of care provided by ophthalmology residentsRaja Jagadeesan
Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Ophthalmology 115:738-743.e3. 2008..two study questions: (1) What is the overall level of satisfaction with resident care? (2) Can the study questionnaire be used to detect differences in the level of satisfaction patients have with care delivered by individual residents?..
- Graduate medical education in ophthalmology: moving from the apprenticeship model to competency-based educationAndrew G Lee
Arch Ophthalmol 126:1290-1. 2008
- Effectiveness of mobile-phone short message service (SMS) reminders for ophthalmology outpatient appointments: observational studyElizabeth Koshy
Department of Primary Care and Social Medicine, Imperial College London, London, UK
BMC Ophthalmol 8:9. 2008..The use of Short Message Service (SMS) appointment reminders potentially offers a cost-effective and time-efficient strategy to decrease non-attendance and so improve the efficiency of outpatient healthcare delivery...
- VISION 2020: The Right to Sight: a global initiative to eliminate avoidable blindnessLouis Pizzarello
International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness, London, England, UK
Arch Ophthalmol 122:615-20. 2004
- Effective and accurate screening for diabetic retinopathy using a 60 degree mydriatic fundus cameraT R Carmichael
Division of Ophthalmology, Department of Neurosciences, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
S Afr Med J 95:57-61. 2005..the combined highest scores of two experienced ophthalmologists...
- Wavefront-guided LASIK for the correction of primary myopia and astigmatism a report by the American Academy of OphthalmologySteven C Schallhorn
American Academy of Ophthalmology, Quality Care and Knowledge Base Development, P O Box 7424, San Francisco, CA 94120 7424, USA
Ophthalmology 115:1249-61. 2008..To describe wavefront-guided (WFG) LASIK for the primary treatment of low to moderate levels of myopia and astigmatism and to examine the evidence on the safety and effectiveness of the procedure in comparison with conventional LASIK...
- Veterinary ophthalmology in laboratory animal studiesRobert J Munger
Animal Ophthalmology Clinic, 4444 Trinity Mills Road, Suite 201, Dallas, TX 75287, USA
Vet Ophthalmol 5:167-75. 2002In this overview the current status of the role of veterinary ophthalmology in laboratory animal studies is discussed...
- Uses and complications of mitomycin C in ophthalmologyAli A Mearza
Emmetropia Mediterranean Eye Institute, Parodos Anapoleos 7, Heraklion, Crete GR 71201, Greece
Expert Opin Drug Saf 6:27-32. 2007Mitomycin C is a chemotherapeutic agent that acts by inhibiting DNA synthesis. Its use and application in ophthalmology has been increasing in recent years because of its modulatory effects on wound healing...
- Attitudes and behaviour of ophthalmologists to smoking cessationA Sahu
Department of Public Health, Bury Primary Care Trust, UK
Eye (Lond) 22:246-50. 2008..Growing evidence suggests a causal association between smoking and eye disease. This study explores the current beliefs and practice among UK consultant ophthalmologists towards delivering smoking cessation advice to eye clinic attenders...
- Multimedia learning tools for teaching undergraduate ophthalmology: results of a randomized clinical studyMichael Steedman
Queen s University School of Medicine, Kingston, Ont
Can J Ophthalmol 47:66-71. 2012..To evaluate the effectiveness of a novel multimedia learning tool (MMLT) for teaching a method of approaching common ophthalmologic presentations...
- Gene therapy in ophthalmology: validation on cultured retinal cells and explants from postmortem human eyesMathias Fradot
INSERM, U968, Paris, 75 012, France
Hum Gene Ther 22:587-93. 2011..The results demonstrate that this in vitro approach can limit the use of living primates for the validation of gene therapy in vision and ophthalmology.
- Low vision services for vision rehabilitation in the United KingdomL E Culham
Br J Ophthalmol 86:743-7. 2002..Little is known about the distribution and methods of delivery of low vision services across the United Kingdom. The purpose of this study was to determine the type and location of low vision services within the UK...
- Canadian ophthalmology residency training: an evaluation of resident satisfaction and comparison with international standardsAlysia W Zhou
Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Western Ontario, London, Ont
Can J Ophthalmol 44:540-7. 2009To evaluate the adequacy of Canadian ophthalmology residency programs in achieving the competencies outlined by the International Council of Ophthalmology (ICO) and to assess residents' satisfaction with their training programs.
- Virtual reality ophthalmic surgical simulation as a feasible training and assessment tool: results of a multicentre studyTran D B Le
University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont
Can J Ophthalmol 46:56-60. 2011To compare performance on the Eyesi surgical simulator by users with different levels of experience in ophthalmology.
- The American Academy of Ophthalmology adopts SNOMED CT as its official clinical terminologyH Dunbar Hoskins
Ophthalmology 115:225-6. 2008
- Assessment of ophthalmology resident on-call performanceKarl C Golnik
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Cincinnati, The Cincinnati Eye Institute, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Ophthalmology 112:1242-6. 2005To design and implement a valid tool for assessment of ophthalmology resident on-call performance.
- Teleophthalmology screening for diabetic retinopathy through mobile imaging units within CanadaMarie Carole Boucher
Hopital Maisonneuve Rosemont, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Que
Can J Ophthalmol 43:658-68. 2008..Implemented through mobile screening imaging units located within pharmacies, the project had the goal of reaching unscreened diabetic patients in urban communities while lowering barriers to screening and saving medical resources...
- Becoming an expert: a review of adult learning theory and implications for vocational training in ophthalmologyTimothy V Roberts
Save Sight Institute, Discipline of Ophthalmology, Sydney Medical School, University of Sydney, NSW, Australia
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 40:519-26. 2012..are the learning needs of trainees? 2 What educational methods best address these needs? 3 What assessment methods best test the acquisition of the desired learning outcomes? 4 What are the needs of supervisors and teachers?..
- The impact of national diabetic retinopathy screening on ophthalmology: the need for urgent planningS Harding
St Paul s Eye Unit, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool, UK
Eye (Lond) 19:1009-11. 2005
- Psychometric properties of a new tool to assess task-specific and global competency in cataract surgeryDan B Rootman
University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging 43:229-34. 2012..To establish and validate an assessment tool of cataract surgery performed by residents suitable for a competency-based curriculum...
- The international council of ophthalmology: vision for ophthalmic education in an interdependent worldAndrew G Lee
Department of Ophthalmology, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, New York, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 154:620-624.e2. 2012To describe the emerging strategic global perspective of the International Council of Ophthalmology (ICO) efforts in ophthalmic education.
- Frequency and seasonal variation of ophthalmology-related internet searchesChristopher T Leffler
Department of Ophthalmology, Virginia Commonwealth University, MCV Campus, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Can J Ophthalmol 45:274-9. 2010To use internet search activity to reveal the intensity of public interest and seasonal variation in ophthalmology-related diseases, symptoms, and treatments.
- Selection, teaching and training in ophthalmologyLarry Benjamin
Department of Ophthalmology, Stoke Mandeville Hospital, Aylesbury, UK
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 33:524-30. 2005..As an introduction to the article, a brief description of the current scheme in the UK is given...
- Using the Journal Club to teach and assess competence in practice-based learning and improvement: a literature review and recommendation for implementationAndrew G Lee
Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Surv Ophthalmol 50:542-8. 2005..The Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education competencies mandate requires that ophthalmology residency programs both teach and assess practice-based learning and improvement...
- New biomimetic directions in regenerative ophthalmologyDavid W Green
Queensland Eye Institute, 41, Annerley Road, Brisbane 4001, QLD, Australia
Adv Healthc Mater 1:140-8. 2012..Further problems in regenerative ophthalmology can be potentially solved through application of biomimicry...
- Update on shaken baby syndrome: ophthalmologyNils K Mungan
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi 39216, USA
Curr Opin Ophthalmol 18:392-7. 2007..Shaken baby syndrome is a common problem with a high morbidity and mortality. Ophthalmologists help manage this condition and therefore must keep abreast of current advances...
- Ophthalmology patients' religious and spiritual beliefs: an opportunity to build trust in the patient-physician relationshipGina Magyar-Russell
Department of Psychiatry, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 126:1262-5. 2008To assess the prevalence of religion and spirituality as a component of ophthalmology patients' value systems.
- Adoption and perceptions of electronic health record systems by ophthalmologists: an American Academy of Ophthalmology surveyMichael F Chiang
Department of Ophthalmology and Biomedical Informatics, Columbia University, New York, New York, USA
Ophthalmology 115:1591-7; quiz 1597.e1-5. 2008..To assess the current state of electronic health record (EHR) use by ophthalmologists, including adoption rate and user satisfaction...
- Clinical application of MRI in ophthalmologyKelly A Townsend
UPMC Eye Center, Eye and Ear Institute, Ophthalmology and Visual Science Research Center, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
NMR Biomed 21:997-1002. 2008..These uses are at a variety of developmental stages in ophthalmology, from common use of clinical structural assessment for neuro-ophthalmology and evaluation of space-occupying ..
- Proverbs, authoritative sources, eponyms, and the survey of ophthalmologyJohn W Gittinger
Surv Ophthalmol 53:93-4. 2008
- Ophthalmology inpatient consultationK Carter
Department of Ophthalmology, University of California Los Angeles School of Medicine and the Jules Stein Eye Institute, Los Angeles, California 90095-7002, USA
Ophthalmology 108:1505-11. 2001OBJECTIVE: To profile inpatients and eye problems evaluated and managed by the Ophthalmology Consultation Service of a large university teaching hospital. DESIGN: A hospital-based retrospective, cross-sectional study...
- Clinical electrophysiology in veterinary ophthalmology--the past, present and futureRon Ofri
Koret School of Veterinary Medicine, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rehovot, Israel
Doc Ophthalmol 104:5-16. 2002..International meetings and wetlabs are also being organized as part of an effort to improve the quality of electrophysiological diagnosis that veterinary ophthalmologists provide their patients...
- [Tropical ophthalmology--prevention and therapy"Vision 2020--the right to sight"]V Klauss
Augenklinik der Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, Munchen
Ophthalmologe 101:741-63; quiz 764-5. 2004..It is planned that blindness in 100 million people can be avoided by the year 2020...
- Community eye health module in West Africa: the trainee ophthalmologists perspectivesA A Ayanniyi
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, PMB 1459, Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria
West Afr J Med 28:245-8. 2009..Training programmes require regular evaluation both by the organisers and the trainees...
- Role of the interview in admissions at the University of Toronto ophthalmology programPanos G Christakis
Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, Conn, USA
Can J Ophthalmol 45:527-30. 2010To investigate the role of the residency interview in admission to the University of Toronto ophthalmology program.
- The monthly variation in acute anterior uveitis in a community-based ophthalmology practiceRalph D Levinson
Eye Associates of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM, USA
Ocul Immunol Inflamm 10:133-9. 2002A significant increase in the number of episodes of acute anterior uveitis was found in December for two consecutive years at a community-based ophthalmology practice.
- Optic neuritis and the neuro-ophthalmology of multiple sclerosisParamjit Kaur
Department of Neurology, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
Int Rev Neurobiol 79:633-63. 2007..This chapter focuses on the evaluation and treatment of visual sensory and oculomotor disorders in MS. The objective is to provide the reader with a working model for enhancing their care of patients with demyelinating disease...
- Audit of Web-based telemedicine in ophthalmologyCraig Kennedy
Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, UK
J Telemed Telecare 12:88-91. 2006..was set up to link subspecialist ophthalmologists with those seeking advice on particular clinical problems in ophthalmology. The service operated between countries, with centres in Malaysia, Ghana, Tanzania, South Africa and Gambia ..
- Special requirements for electronic health record systems in ophthalmologyMichael F Chiang
Departments of Ophthalmology and of Medical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon, USA
Ophthalmology 118:1681-7. 2011The field of ophthalmology has a number of unique features compared with other medical and surgical specialties regarding clinical workflow and data management...
- Eye care in the United States: do we deliver to high-risk people who can benefit most from it?Xinzhi Zhang
National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4770 Buford Hwy NE K 10, Atlanta, GA 30341 3727, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 125:411-8. 2007..To estimate the levels of self-reported access of eye care services in the nation...
- Clinical patterns of uveitis in two ophthalmology centres in Bogota, ColombiaAlejandra de-la-Torre
Grupo de Estudio en Parasitología Molecular GEPAMOL, Universidad del Quindio, Armenia, Colombia
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 37:458-66. 2009To describe the distribution pattern and the clinical features of uveitis in two ophthalmology referral centres in Colombia.
- The opportunity for international ophthalmology in treating blindnessB Spivey
Department of Ophthalmology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York, USA
Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc 99:73-6; discussion 76-7. 2001..The first international ophthalmological organization (the International Council of Ophthalmology, established in 1927) evolved from the longest continuously held medical meeting in the world (the ..
- Teaching and assessing competency in retinal lasers in ophthalmology residencyMichael D Abramoff
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging 39:270-80. 2008..To the authors' knowledge, there is no standardized and widely used curriculum for teaching and assessing resident competencies in retinal lasers...
- Enter the reverend: introduction to and application of Bayes' theorem in clinical ophthalmologyRavi Thomas
University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 39:865-70. 2011..Interpretation of test results and many clinical management issues are actually problems in inverse probability that can be solved using Bayes' theorem...
- SUPPORT CONTRACT FOR THE NTP INTERAGENCY CENTER/VALIDATION OF ALT METHODSDavid Allen; Fiscal Year: 2011..by accidents involving common household products such as oven cleaner and bleach (source, American Academy of Ophthalmology)...
- SUPPORT CONTRACT FOR THE NTP INTERAGENCY CENTER/VALIDATION OF ALT METHODSDavid Allen; Fiscal Year: 2012..by accidents involving common household products such as oven cleaner and bleach (source, American Academy of Ophthalmology)...
- VISUAL SCIENCES TRAINING PROGRAMEric Pearlman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Biomedical Engineering, Epidemiology &Biostatistics, Molecular Biology &Microbiology, Neurosciences, Ophthalmology &Visual Sciences, Pathology and Pharmacology...
- A novel role for endogenous fructose in ischemic acute kidney injuryMIGUEL ANGEL LANASPA GARCIA; Fiscal Year: 2013..consultants outside the Renal Division, Dr Mark Petrash, Professor and Vice Chair for Research, Department of Ophthalmology, who is a world expert on aldose reductase is serving as a collaborator, Dr Scott Lucia (Chief of Renal and ..
- Role in Myopia Development of Retinal Pigment Epithelium - A New Therapeutic TargYan Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Research Career Development Award (K08) candidate, Yan Zhang, earned her clinical degrees in Medicine and Ophthalmology, and she is currently pursuing her Ph.D...
- Endothelial Cell Dysregulation in Neovascular AMDMark E Kleinman; Fiscal Year: 2013..take place in the excellent scientific and academic environment of the University of Kentucky, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences which includes an ocular angiogenesis research consortium consisting of four independent ..
- Vision Sciences Training GrantCarol A Mason; Fiscal Year: 2013..Faculty mentors are largely drawn from the new Department of Neuroscience and the Department of Ophthalmology. Section 1 (Systems/Computation) includes 14 faculty focused on the visual and oculomotor systems in humans ..
- Environment, Novel Aging Outcomes, and GeneticsSung Kyun Park; Fiscal Year: 2013..in metals and air pollution epidemiology, genetic epidemiology, gerontological epidemiology, neurotoxicology, ophthalmology and otolaryngology, and is enhanced by didactic coursework, laboratory training and attendance in seminars and ..
- Phenotypes of diabetic kidney disease and the relationship to retinal pathologyAmy Mottl; Fiscal Year: 2013..I will have the collaborative effort of nephropathology and ophthalmology at UNC who have agreed to work as a team with Drs...
- Role of trabecular meshwork contractility in modulating outflow resistanceCHEE HIAN TAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..This investigation will be based at the Department of Ophthalmology of the University of Southern California...
- VitaminA and Sickle Cell Disease:Improving Suboptimal Status with SupplementationKELLY ANN DOUGHERTY; Fiscal Year: 2013..by an accomplished team of investigators in nutrition, growth, chronic disease, stable isotope assessment, ophthalmology, epidemiology / study design and biostatistics. Her primary mentor, Virginia Stallings, M.D...
- Partnership for Primary Care ImagingStephen A Boppart; Fiscal Year: 2013..The successful use of OCT in ophthalmology can subsequently be advanced to the front-line of primary care to monitor patients for early evidence of ..
- AAV vectors for retinal delivery in a mouse model of age-related retinopathyKATHARINE LIANG; Fiscal Year: 2013..The proposed training and research plans will provide a solid educational and professional foundation on which to pursue a career as a physician scientist in the field of translational Ophthalmology.
- Postdoc Training in Translational Research in Neural Injury and NeurodegenerationMarc A Dichter; Fiscal Year: 2010..and neurodegeneration for MDs or MD-PhDs who finish clinical training in Neurology, Neurosurgery, Psychiatry, Ophthalmology, Anesthesia, Emergency Medicine or any other clinical neuroscience specialty, and desire academic careers in ..
- Ophthalmologic Follow-up Care for Children Born Very-Low-Birth-WeightCHIHHUNG JASON WANG; Fiscal Year: 2012..The American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Ophthalmology published guidelines for ROP screening criteria in premature infants and interval examination schedule for ..
- Sensimmer Virtual Phaco Trainer for Cataract SurgeryP Pat Banerjee; Fiscal Year: 2011..Virtual Phaco Trainer for Cataract Surgery is a hardware and software solution aimed at a worldwide market of ophthalmology residency programs (including 118 programs in the US)...
- 2010 Gordon Research Conference on Endothelial Cell Phenotypes in Health and DiseEdward Conway; Fiscal Year: 2010..hematology, innate immunity, infectious diseases, oncology, endocrinology, obstetrics, nephrology, neurology, ophthalmology, gastroenterology, developmental biology, and tissue engineering...
- Compartmentalized neurodegeneration of retinal ganglion cells in glaucomaYvonne Ou; Fiscal Year: 2013..Dr. Ou completed her MD at Harvard Medical School, ophthalmology residency at the University of California, Los Angeles, and a two-year glaucoma fellowship at Duke University...
- RESEARCH TRAINING IN VISION SCIENCEW Clay Smith; Fiscal Year: 2013..POSITION TITLE 3d. MAILING ADDRESS /Street, citv. state, z/o code) Associate Professor Department of Ophthalmology 3e. DEPARTMENT, SERVICE, LABORATORY...
- Cerebral Aneurysm Clipping Training Simulator using Virtual Reality and HapticsP Pat Banerjee; Fiscal Year: 2010..g., acoustic neuromas). The Company is also active in ophthalmology, with a simulator for capsulorhexis during cataract surgery funded by NEI, and is working on open ..
- Asia-ARVO Travel Awards and SymposiumSally S Atherton; Fiscal Year: 2010..provided by applicant): Asia-ARVO is an official meeting of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) and is held every two years in different Asian countries...
- Hearing Loss and AgingFrank R Lin; Fiscal Year: 2013..Institute on Aging, the Johns Hopkins Center on Aging and Health, the Johns Hopkins Dana Center for Preventive Ophthalmology, and the Johns Hopkins Listening Center. This CDA will provide Dr...
- Magnetomotive optical coherence tomography for molecular imaging of the eyeJianhua Wang; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, no such method is available in the ophthalmic field Ophthalmology has a huge demand for in vivo imaging of the location of specific molecules or cells where in various mouse ..
- Glaucoma and Visual FunctionANJALI MARUTI BHORADE; Fiscal Year: 2010..This pilot study is a multidisciplinary collaboration between the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences and the Program in Occupational Therapy at Washington University School of Medicine, St...
- REQUEST TO PURCHASE A 600 MHZ NMR REPLACEMENT CONSOLE AND COLD PROBEJoseph J H Ackerman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Cardiology, Chemistry, Infectious Diseases, Internal Medicine, Neurology, Ophthalmology, Pathology, Pharmacology &Developmental Biology, Physics, and Radiology (Division of Radiation Sciences)...
- Noninvasive Visualization and Analysis of Organ Systems using OCT and Digital FunSteven J Pittler; Fiscal Year: 2010..equipment bundle is planned to be housed in newly renovated space created to bring together researchers in Ophthalmology and Optometry and establish a strong cohesive group of retina researchers...
- External Glaucoma Drainage DeviceBruce Klitzman; Fiscal Year: 2012..Camras Vision, Inc. will collaborate with experts from the Surgery, Biomedical Engineering and Ophthalmology Departments at Duke University...
- Regulation of Ocular Neural Crest and its Implications in Congenital Eye DiseasesBRENDA LYNN BOHNSACK; Fiscal Year: 2013..The Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences has a world-class faculty and facilities...
- International Partnership for Interdisciplinary Research TrainingOLUFUNMILAYO F OLOPADE; Fiscal Year: 2013..Health;2) expand to additional training methodologies and health disciplines such as dentistry, nursing and ophthalmology;3) expand to other emerging South-South collaborations such as a new Nigeria-Tanzania partnership fostered by ..
- Methods & Noninvasive PK Study to Improve IontophoresisS Kevin Li; Fiscal Year: 2010..Jeong, Utah Center for Advanced Imaging Research) and ophthalmology (P.S. Bernstein, Moran Eye Center)...
- Pharmacological Treatment of Retinal DiseasesKRZYSZTOF NMI PALCZEWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2013An interdisciplinary consortium of investigators from the Departments of Pharmacology, Ophthalmology and Biomedical Engineering at Case Western Reserve University in collaboration with the University of Cincinnati Drug Discovery Center, ..
- Outcomes of children with juvenile idiopathic arthritis-associated uveitisSHEILA THERESE ANGELES-HAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Likewise, an improved risk stratification scheme could reduce unnecessary ophthalmology visits and help us identify children at greater risk for severe eye disease and complications...
- RETINAL GANGLION CELL AND AMACRINE CELL FUNCTION IN MOUSE MODELS OF ELEVATED INTRBenjamin J Frankfort; Fiscal Year: 2013..This research led to a number of publications and awards, and also inspired me to pursue a residency in ophthalmology at the Wilmer Eye Institute at Johns Hopkins and a fellowship in glaucoma at Baylor College of Medicine...
- P30 - Center Core Grant for Vision ResearchLinda M Zangwill; Fiscal Year: 2013..These investigators from the UCSD Departments of Ophthalmology, Pathology, Pediatrics, Institute for Genomic Medicine, Radiology, and Psychology represent an impressive, ..
- Prevention of photoreceptor cell death with intravitreal Fas-receptor antagonistJeffrey A Jamison; Fiscal Year: 2012..will be a prescription drug for single dose intravitreal injection (an established route of administration in ophthalmology)...
- REQUEST TO PURCHASE A VARIAN HIGH RESOLUTION NMR REPLACEMENT CONSOLEJoseph J H Ackerman; Fiscal Year: 2010..Biochemistry &Molecular Biophysics, Chemistry, Cardiology, Engineering, Internal Medicine, Neurology, Ophthalmology, Pathology, Pharmacology &Molecular Biology, Physics, Radiation Oncology, and Radiology...
- CORE GRANT FOR VISION RESEARCHChristopher W Tyler; Fiscal Year: 2011..Smith-Kettlewell scientists have training from diverse medical and scientific backgrounds: ophthalmology, experimental psychology, neurophysiology, engineering, optometry and biophysics...
- Transscleral Drug Delivery for Retinal DisordersHENRY FRANCIS EDELHAUSER; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The Ophthalmology Department at Emory University leads a multidisciplinary collaboration with the Georgia Institute of Technology, University of Nebraska, and University of Pennsylvania...
- AB3500xL DNA Analyzer for OHSU Core FacilityThomas J Keller; Fiscal Year: 2012..Sequencing by our core for projects in Molecular Microbiology &Immunology, Infectious Disease, Ophthalmology, Cell Biology &Development and Nephrology departments in the School of Medicine, the Center for Research ..
- Development of visual and neurologic outcome measures in pediatric MSAMY TARA WALDMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..will be obtained through a multi-disciplinary research program that spans the fields of neurology, pediatrics, ophthalmology, radiology using three complementary approaches: 1) intensive mentorship and collaboration with senior ..
- Training Program in the Molecular Bases of Eye DiseasesPATRICIA ANN D'AMORE; Fiscal Year: 2013..in the Molecular Bases of Eye Diseases (MBED) is an ongoing postdoctoral training program in the Department of Ophthalmology at Harvard Medical School (HMS) aimed at attracting and training highly skilled and motivated basic scientists ..
- Anti-angiogenesis of HC-HA Covalent Complex and PTX3 Purified from Fetal MembraneScheffer C G Tseng; Fiscal Year: 2011..PTX3 to HC"HA, we may develop a new class of angiogenesis inhibitors for treating many diseases in and beyond ophthalmology where pathologic angiogenesis threatens our vision and health...
- MEMBRANE PERMEANT PEPTIDES FOR IMAGING CELL FUNCTIONDavid Piwnica-Worms; Fiscal Year: 2013..cell-type-specific property of our peptides in retinal pathology for molecular imaging applications in ophthalmology. This renewal application is focused on translation of this strategy through advanced pre-clinical studies and ..
- LIPOPROTEIN (A) IN VASCULAR DISEASES OF THE EYEMichaela K Mathews; Fiscal Year: 2013..by applicant): This proposal describes a 5 year program for the development of an academic research career in Ophthalmology. I have completed a postdoctoral research fellowship, followed by residency and fellowship training in ..
- Structural and Functional Characterization of a Novel Model for Glaucoma ResearchGILLIAN JANE MCLELLAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..candidate of this proposal is a veterinarian with prior clinical and PhD training in the field of comparative ophthalmology. This research project will provide a framework for a training program, under the mentorship of leading ..
- SENSIMMER? Virtual Phaco Trainer for Cataract SurgeryP Banerjee; Fiscal Year: 2009..virtual reality software SENSIMMER} for surgical training of residents in such fields as neurosurgery and ophthalmology. In collaboration with the University of Illinois at Chicago, the Partnership proposes to develop and ..
- University of Miami Vision Loss Prevention Translational Research CenterDavid J Lee; Fiscal Year: 2013..has a long-standing interest in health disparities research, is a joint partnership between the Departments of Ophthalmology and Epidemiology, as well as the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute (BPEI), which is consistently rated as one of the ..
- Drug Eluting Contact LensesJoseph B Ciolino; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): After completing my ophthalmology residency, I began a unique 2 year cornea fellowship at Massachusetts Eye &Ear Infirmary (MEEI)...
- P30- Center Core Grant for Vision ResearchEric Pearlman; Fiscal Year: 2013..of Pharmacology (Palczewski, Imanishi, von Lintig), Medicine (Kern, Subauste), Chemistry (Salomon), Ophthalmology (Park, Pearlman), Pathology (Monnier), and Pediatrics (Gubitosi-Klug)...
- REGULATION OF OUTFLOW FACILITY BY GENE TRANSFERTERESA BORRAS; Fiscal Year: 2013..mMMP1) did not. Because the use of glucocorticoids (GCs) is so essential in today's ophthalmology practice and because their side effect on IOP is so damaging, our goal for this grant period is to build on ..
- Pediatric Eye Disease Investigator Group Coordinating CenterRAYMOND KRAKER; Fiscal Year: 2013..by soliciting the participation of new investigators and new sites, and (4) continue to educate the pediatric ophthalmology and optometry communities on the principles of clinical trials and train selected pediatric ophthalmologists ..
- Microscopic imaging of neuro-capillary coupling in brain cortexJonghwan Lee; Fiscal Year: 2013..and high-speed imaging of tissue structure, facilitating a number of basic and clinical studies in ophthalmology, cancer biology, and neuroscience...
- Reading and Pediatric Vision ImpairmentDawn K DeCarlo; Fiscal Year: 2013..The mentorship committee will be composed of DAB faculty members Dr. Cynthia Owsley (chair), Professor of Ophthalmology, and Director of the NEI-funded Clinical Research Unit (R21-EY14071), and Dr...
- University Training Program in Biomolecular and Tissue EngineeringWILLIAM MONTGOMERY REICHERT; Fiscal Year: 2013..and 9 in the Basic Medical Science (Cell Biology, Radiation Oncology, Surgery, Bioinformatics, Medicine, Ophthalmology, and Radiology) and Clinical Departments of the Duke University Medical Center (Obstetrics &Gynecology, ..
- THE GENETICS OF OCULAR MELANOMAJAMES WILLIAM HARBOUR; Fiscal Year: 2013..This is a collaborative proposal from a multidisciplinary collaborative group from the departments of Ophthalmology and Genetics that has the proven expertise to complete the aims of this proposal. )
- NEI Mentored Clincial Scientist Development Program Award (K12)Scott W Cousins; Fiscal Year: 2013..training grant proposal to educate the next generation of clinician-scientists for academic positions in Ophthalmology. For over 38 years, the Duke University Eye Center (DUEC) has been a national leader in training academic ..
- Novel Antiangiogenic Peptides for Treatment of Exudative AMDNader Sheibani; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): An interdisciplinary consortium of investigators from the Departments of Ophthalmology and Pediatrics at the University of Wisconsin in collaboration with the Northwestern University Chemistry of ..
- New Techniques for Measuring Volumetric Structural Changes in GlaucomaMadhusudhanan Balasubramanian; Fiscal Year: 2012..Balasubramanian-the applicant, to become an independent multidisciplinary investigator in computational ophthalmology. Specifically, in the K99 training phase of this grant, Dr...
- Michigan Vision Clinician Scientist Development ProgramPaul P Lee; Fiscal Year: 2013..Clinician-Scientist Development Program is to increase the number and effectiveness of clinician-scientists in ophthalmology and vision sciences through interdisciplinary, interdepartmental faculty development bridging the transition ..
- Development of Nanoscale Neuromodulating PlatformsDavid R Pepperberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..Leading the research will be David R. Pepperberg, PhD, Principal Investigator (Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Univ. of Illinois at Chicago (UIC));and Co-Investigators Karol S...
- Novel Full-Color High Frame Rate 3D Projector for Multiview 3D DisplaysJason Geng; Fiscal Year: 2013..Other examples of 3D applications include ophthalmology, endoscopy, bio-analysis, microscopy, &robotic surgeries...
- Phase II: Anti-inflammatory and Anti-scarring Actions of Amniotic Membrane ExtraScheffer C G Tseng; Fiscal Year: 2011..of new therapeutics based on AME or purified HC7HA complex so that we may expand our market spaces not only in ophthalmology, but also in other medical and surgical subspecialties...
- Mechanical Stress and the Heat-Treatment of Soft TissueJAY HUMPHREY; Fiscal Year: 2003..Heat is used, e.g., in cardiology, dermatology, gynecology, oncology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, and urology...
- DATA COORDINATING CENTER FOR EARLY GLAUCOMA TRIALM Leske; Fiscal Year: 2004..As such, it is an extremely important study designed to address a major unresolved issue in ophthalmology. The primary aim of the EMGT is to compare the effect of immediate therapy to lower the IOP (laser ..
- Scientific Conference on Moebius SyndromeVICKI MCCARRELL; Fiscal Year: 2006..Moebius is a complex disorder, and its treatment involves medical disciplines as diverse as neurology, ophthalmology, dentistry, genetics, epidemiology, toxicology, reconstructive surgery, developmental pediatrics, psychiatry ..
- Depth Maps From Stereo Images of the Optic Disc-Phase IIGILBERTO ZAMORA; Fiscal Year: 2006..From the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) 2000, "Previous studies have found that the diagnostic precision of qualitative evaluation of ..
- RENOVATION OF NINTH FLOOR OF BURNETT-WOMACKWILLIAM ROPER; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed future occupants of Burnett-Womack include the Departments of Anesthesiology, Surgery, Ophthalmology, and Orthopedics; Divisions of Cardiology and Reproductive Biology; [investigators from the Infectious Disease ..
- Oxide Glass Fiber Optimized for Short Pulse IR LasersDanh Tran; Fiscal Year: 2006..Large potential markets such as skin resurfacing, dentistry, and ophthalmology utilize the Er:YSGG (2.79 mu/m) and Er:YAG (2.94 mu/m) lasers for therapeutic procedures...
- STRUCTURED ANALYSIS OF THE RETINAMichael Goldbaum; Fiscal Year: 1992..analysis in conjunction with expert systems and neural networks is a sophisticated and innovative approach in ophthalmology. We propose to continue our development of STARE for a second three-year period...
- OHTS and EGPS: Glaucoma detection using Confocal Scanning Laser OphthalmologyLinda Zangwill; Fiscal Year: 2009..The combined EGPS/OHTS sample has more than 909 randomized participants with longitudinal CSLO measurements making it the largest sample of prospectively obtained CSLO measurements in ocular hypertensive individuals. ..
- THREE-AXIS OCULAR MOTOR CONTROL BY THE CEREBELLUMMark Walker; Fiscal Year: 2003..proposal is to provide the educational and research training necessary for a career in ocular motor neuro-ophthalmology, with an emphasis on the role of the cerebellum in the three-axis (horizontal, vertical, and torsional) ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGIC RESEARCH IN NEURO-OPHTHALMOLOGYLaura Balcer; Fiscal Year: 2000..Scientist Award is designed to provide rigorous training in preparation for a career in academic neuro- ophthalmology with an intensive commitment to clinical research...
- Advanced Laser Technology for Fractional Skin Resurfacing and Other Surgical ApplRAVINDER JAIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..have applications in a large range of surgical procedures including dermatology, laryngology, otology, and ophthalmology. In the near-term, these instruments will act as efficient replacements for Er:YAG and Er:YSGG lasers used in ..
- GROWTH FACTORS IN MAMMALIAN EYE DEVELOPMENTJeffrey Bennett; Fiscal Year: 2002..I am now prepared to embark on a long-term career in academic neuro-ophthalmology, combining clinical practice with basic research...
- Ocular motor control and MRI in hereditary ataxiaSarah Ying; Fiscal Year: 2009..independent research that has important implications for both basic visual neuroscience and clinical neuro-ophthalmology. The candidate is a neurologist with some prior exposure to eye movement and vestibular disorders and ..