Genomes and Genes
Summary: A subspecialty of medical oncology and radiology concerned with the radiotherapy of cancer.
Publications278 found, 100 shown here
- Integrating gross anatomy into a clinical oncology curriculum: the oncoanatomy course at Duke University School of MedicineAnn C Zumwalt
Department of Biological Anthropology and Anatomy, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Acad Med 82:469-74. 2007..The authors describe a course currently offered in the department of radiation oncology in the Duke University School of Medicine, developed in 2005, that expands anatomy education into the ..
- Quality in radiation oncologyTodd Pawlicki
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Med Phys 34:1529-34. 2007..Medicine in general and radiation oncology in particular have been slow to adopt modern quality techniques...
- Is rural radiation oncology practice quality as good as the big smoke? Results of the Australian radiotherapy single machine unit trialT P Shakespeare
Department of Radiation Oncology, North Coast Cancer Institute, Coffs Harbour Health Campus, Coffs Harbour, New South Wales, Australia
Australas Radiol 51:381-5. 2007..This audit found that SMUs provide as high a standard of radiotherapeutic care as larger hub departments. The findings also emphasize the need for all departments to target clinical documentation...
- The management of imaging dose during image-guided radiotherapy: report of the AAPM Task Group 75Martin J Murphy
Department of Radiation Oncology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia 23298, USA
Med Phys 34:4041-63. 2007..The end goal is to enable the design of image guidance regimens that are as effective and efficient as possible...
- Innovations in image-guided radiotherapyDirk Verellen
UZ Brussel, Oncologisch Centrum, Radiotherapie, Laarbeeklaan 101, B 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Nat Rev Cancer 7:949-60. 2007....
- The management of respiratory motion in radiation oncology report of AAPM Task Group 76Paul J Keall
Virginia Commonwealth University, USA
Med Phys 33:3874-900. 2006..Respiratory motion management is also appropriate when the procedure will increase normal tissue sparing. Respiratory motion management involves further resources, education and the development of and adherence to QA procedures...
- Tumor microenvironmental physiology and its implications for radiation oncologyPeter Vaupel
Institute of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
Semin Radiat Oncol 14:198-206. 2004..Because of a relatively high risk of local relapse or distant metastasis, patients with hypoxic and/or "high-lactate" tumors should undergo close surveillance...
- Accelerated partial breast irradiation consensus statement from the American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO)Benjamin D Smith
Radiation Oncology Flight, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, TX, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 74:987-1001. 2009..To present guidance for patients and physicians regarding the use of accelerated partial-breast irradiation (APBI), based on current published evidence complemented by expert opinion...
- Predicting outcomes in radiation oncology--multifactorial decision support systemsPhilippe Lambin
Department of Radiation Oncology MAASTRO, GROW School for Oncology and Developmental Biology, Maastricht University Medical Centre, Maastricht, 6229 ET, The Netherlands
Nat Rev Clin Oncol 10:27-40. 2013..In radiation oncology, these models combine both predictive and prognostic data factors from clinical, imaging, molecular and ..
- A challenge to traditional radiation oncologyJack F Fowler
Department of Human Oncology, Medical School of the University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 60:1241-56. 2004....
- An overview of hypofractionation and introduction to this issue of seminars in radiation oncologyRobert D Timmerman
Semin Radiat Oncol 18:215-22. 2008
- Fractionation for whole breast irradiation: an American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) evidence-based guidelineBenjamin D Smith
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 81:59-68. 2011..However, it remains controversial whether these results apply to all subgroups of patients. We therefore developed an evidence-based guideline to provide direction for clinical practice...
- Japanese structure survey of radiation oncology in 2005 based on institutional stratification of patterns of care studyTeruki Teshima
Department of Medical Physics and Engineering, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 72:144-52. 2008To evaluate the structure of radiation oncology in Japan in terms of equipment, personnel, patient load, and geographic distribution to identify and improve any deficiencies.
- Radiation oncology: a century of achievementsJacques Bernier
Department of Radio Oncology, Oncology Institute of Southern Switzerland, CH 6504 Bellinzona, Switzerland
Nat Rev Cancer 4:737-47. 2004Over the twentieth century the discipline of radiation oncology has developed from an experimental application of X-rays to a highly sophisticated treatment of cancer...
- Oncolytic viruses in radiation oncologyYann Touchefeu
The Institute of Cancer Research, Section of Cell and Molecular Biology, London, UK
Radiother Oncol 99:262-70. 2011..The aim of this review is to focus on the therapeutic potential of these combinations and to highlight their mechanistic bases, with particular emphasis on the role of the DNA damage response...
- A review of hypofractionated palliative radiotherapyStephen T Lutz
Department of Radiation Oncology, Blanchard Valley Regional Cancer Center, Findlay, Ohio 45840, USA
Cancer 109:1462-70. 2007..Collaboration in education, research, and patient advocacy will advance the common objectives of the 2 specialties and lead to an appropriate increase in the use of palliative hypofractionated radiotherapy...
- A (short) history of image-guided radiotherapyDirk Verellen
UZ Brussel, Oncologisch Centrum, Radiotherapie, Belgium
Radiother Oncol 86:4-13. 2008..Recent developments in improved IT infrastructures, novel irradiation techniques, and better knowledge of functional and morphologic information may have created the need and optimal environment to revive the interest in IGRT...
- RTOG GU Radiation oncology specialists reach consensus on pelvic lymph node volumes for high-risk prostate cancerColleen A F Lawton
Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, 53226, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 74:383-7. 2009..on a prior lymph node contouring project, we have shown significant disagreement in the definition of pelvic lymph node volumes among genitourinary radiation oncology specialists involved in developing and executing current RTOG trials.
- Impact of a real-time peer review audit on patient management in a radiation oncology departmentM Boxer
Cancer Therapy Centres, Liverpool and Campbelltown Hospitals, New South Wales, Australia
J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol 53:405-11. 2009..We aimed to assess the feasibility of using this tool in a busy radiation oncology department using an electronic medical record (EMR) system, identify areas of compliance and assess the ..
- Economic analysis of radiation therapy oncology group 97-14: multiple versus single fraction radiation treatment of patients with bone metastasesAndre Konski
Department of Radiation Oncology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Barbara Ann Karmanus Cancer Center, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Am J Clin Oncol 32:423-8. 2009..The purpose of the analysis was to determine whether multiple fraction treatment is cost-effective in treating patients with bone metastasis, by preventing further retreatment...
- MR imaging of prostate cancer in radiation oncology: what radiologists need to knowPiyaporn Boonsirikamchai
Departments of Diagnostic Radiology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Radiographics 33:741-61. 2013..MR imaging allows excellent delineation of the contours of the prostate and surrounding structures. It can also be used in early posttreatment evaluation after brachytherapy...
- International patterns of practice in palliative radiotherapy for painful bone metastases: evidence-based practice?Alysa Fairchild
Department of Radiation Oncology, Cross Cancer Institute, Edmonton, AB, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 75:1501-10. 2009..However, according to previous surveys, SF schedules remain underused. The objectives of this study were to determine the current patterns of practice internationally and to investigate the factors influencing this practice...
- Patterns of practice in palliative radiotherapy for painful bone metastases: a survey in JapanNaoki Nakamura
Department of Radiation Oncology, St Luke s International Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 83:e117-20. 2012..To determine the current patterns of practice in Japan and to investigate factors that may make clinicians reluctant to use single-fraction radiotherapy (SF-RT)...
- Swallowing dysfunction in head and neck cancer patients treated by radiotherapy: review and recommendations of the supportive task group of the Italian Association of Radiation OncologyElvio G Russi
Radiation Oncology Department, A O S Croce e Carle, Cuneo, Italy
Cancer Treat Rev 38:1033-49. 2012..in order to identify the main causes of dysphagia in HNCPs and to develop recommendations to be adopted for radiation oncology patients...
- Patterns of radiotherapy practice for patients with cervical cancer (1999-2001): patterns of care study in JapanTakafumi Toita
Department of Radiology, Graduate School of Medical Science, University of the Ryukyus, Nishihara cho, Okinawa, Japan
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 70:788-94. 2008..To describe the patterns of definitive radiotherapy practice for patients with uterine cervical cancer from 1999 to 2001 in Japan...
- Image-guided, adaptive radiotherapy of prostate cancer: toward new standards of radiotherapy practicePatrick Kupelian
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of California School of Medicine, Los Angeles, Calif, USA
Front Radiat Ther Oncol 43:344-68. 2011..On-line adaptive radiotherapy requires robust deformable registration and replanning programs. These are beginning to emerge in useful clinic applications...
- Family physicians' perspectives regarding palliative radiotherapyRajiv S Samant
Ottawa Regional Cancer Centre, Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Radiother Oncol 78:101-6. 2006..To assess family physicians' views on common indications for palliative radiotherapy and to determine whether this influences patient referral...
- Japanese structure survey of radiation oncology in 2007 based on institutional stratification of patterns of care studyTeruki Teshima
Department of Medical Physics and Engineering, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Japan
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 78:1483-93. 2010To evaluate the ongoing structure of radiation oncology in Japan in terms of equipment, personnel, patient load, and geographic distribution to identify and improve any deficiencies.
- 3D Variation in delineation of head and neck organs at riskCharlotte L Brouwer
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Groningen, University Medical Center Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Radiat Oncol 7:32. 2012....
- Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase inhibition as a model for synthetic lethality in developing radiation oncology targetsAnthony J Chalmers
Genome Damage and Stability Centre, University of Sussex, Brighton, United Kingdom
Semin Radiat Oncol 20:274-81. 2010....
- Molecular markers in clinical radiation oncologyBruce G Haffty
Department of Therapeutic Radiology, HRT 133, 333 Cedar St, New Haven, CT 06520 8040, USA
Oncogene 22:5915-25. 2003..The majority of molecular markers that have potential clinical significance with respect to radiation sensitivity and local control will be highlighted...
- The script concordance test in radiation oncology: validation study of a new tool to assess clinical reasoningCarole Lambert
CPASS, Faculty of Medicine, University of Montreal, CP 6128, Succursale Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, H3C 3J7, Canada
Radiat Oncol 4:7. 2009..Scores reflect the degree of concordance between the performance of examinees and that of a reference panel of experienced physicians. The purpose of this study is to demonstrate SCT's usefulness in radiation oncology.
- American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) and American College of Radiology (ACR) practice guideline for the performance of high-dose-rate brachytherapyBeth A Erickson
Department of Radiation Oncology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI53226 3596, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 79:641-9. 2011..A collaborative effort of the American College of Radiology (ACR) and American Society for Therapeutic Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) has produced a practice guideline for HDR brachytherapy...
- Definition of gross tumor volume in lung cancer: inter-observer variabilityJan Van de Steene
Department of Radiotherapy Oncologic Center, Free University of Brussels AZ VUB, Laarbeeklaan 101, B 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Radiother Oncol 62:37-49. 2002..To determine the inter-observer variation in gross tumor volume (GTV) definition in lung cancer, and its clinical relevance...
- Guidance document on delivery, treatment planning, and clinical implementation of IMRT: report of the IMRT Subcommittee of the AAPM Radiation Therapy CommitteeGary A Ezzell
Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Arizona 85259, USA
Med Phys 30:2089-115. 2003..This report, while not prescribing specific procedures, provides the framework and guidance to allow clinical radiation oncology physicists to make judicious decisions in implementing a safe and efficient IMRT program in their clinics.
- A review of methods of analysis in contouring studies for radiation oncologyMichael G Jameson
Centre for Medical Radiation Physics, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, Australia
J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol 54:401-10. 2010..The purpose of this study is to review the literature on contouring studies in the context of radiation oncology, with particular consideration of the contouring comparison methods they employ...
- Treatment of patients with cardiac pacemakers and implantable cardioverter-defibrillators during radiotherapyAmy N Solan
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 59:897-904. 2004To define the practical clinical guidelines that can be implemented by busy radiation oncology departments to minimize the risk of harm to patients with implanted cardiac pacemaker (ICP) and implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) ..
- If you can't see it, you can miss it: the role of biomedical imaging in radiation oncologyW Schlegel
DKFZ, Department of Medical Physics in Radiooncology, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 139:321-6. 2010..g. with the new tools of photon- and particle- Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT) techniques ('dose painting')...
- Imaging in radiation oncology: a perspectiveLaura A Dawson
Department of Radiation Oncology, Princess Margaret Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Oncologist 15:338-49. 2010..This paper reviews the integration of imaging and radiation oncology, and discusses challenges and opportunities for improving the practice of radiation oncology with imaging.
- Staging and management of localized non-Hodgkin's lymphomas: variations among experts in radiation oncologyRichard W Tsang
Department of Radiation Oncology, Princess Margaret Hospital Ontario Cancer Institute, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 52:643-51. 2002To examine the opinions of radiation oncology experts on the management of lymphomas with respect to staging procedures, treatment plan, radiation target volume, and dose prescription...
- E-mail and oncology: a survey of radiation oncology patients and their attitudes to a new generation of health communicationC Katzen
Department of Radiation Oncology, Kimmel Cancer Center, Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Philadelphia 19107 5097, USA
Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 8:189-93. 2005..We found that patients favored e-mail for increased convenience, efficiency, and timeliness about general health problems, while it was not favored for urgent matters...
- Processes for quality improvements in radiation oncology clinical trialsT J Fitzgerald
Quality Assurance Review Center, Providence, RI, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 71:S76-9. 2008....
- Application of metabolic PET imaging in radiation oncologyAizhi Zhu
Department of Radiology and Imaging Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Radiat Res 177:436-48. 2012..PET imaging with FDG and other metabolic PET imaging agents is playing an increasing role in complementary radiotherapy planning...
- Measuring the quality of care in radiation oncologyJames A Hayman
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Semin Radiat Oncol 18:201-6. 2008..We will next examine how these measures are currently being used and will conclude with some thoughts regarding the steps necessary to use quality measures to improve the quality of care in radiation oncology.
- Utilization of advanced imaging technologies for target delineation in radiation oncologyDaniel R Simpson
Department of Radiation Oncology and Center for Advanced Radiotherapy Technologies, Rebecca and John Moores Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0843, USA
J Am Coll Radiol 6:876-83. 2009..The aim of this study was to evaluate the utilization of advanced imaging technologies for target delineation among radiation oncologists in the United States...
- Fundamentals of molecular imaging: rationale and applications with relevance for radiation oncologyHeiko Schoder
Department of Radiology Nuclear Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Semin Nucl Med 38:119-28. 2008..In contrast, this article will focus on the biochemical principles of cancer metabolism that provide the rationale for positron emission tomography imaging in radiation oncology.
- American Brachytherapy Society-Groupe Européen de Curiethérapie-European Society of Therapeutic Radiation Oncology (ABS-GEC-ESTRO) consensus statement for penile brachytherapyJuanita M Crook
Department of Radiation Oncology, British Columbia Cancer Agency, Center for the Southern Interior, Kelowna, BC, Canada
Brachytherapy 12:191-8. 2013....
- Health economics in radiation oncology: introducing the ESTRO HERO projectYolande Lievens
Radiation Oncology Department, University Hospitals Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Radiother Oncol 103:109-12. 2012..It is in this context that ESTRO is launching the HERO-project (Health Economics in Radiation Oncology), with the overall aim to develop a knowledge base and a model for health economic evaluation of radiation ..
- A pragmatic contouring guideline for salivary gland structures in head and neck radiation oncology: the MOIST targetFrank Hoebers
Radiation Medicine Program, Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Clin Oncol 36:70-6. 2013One of the main normal tissue toxicities in head and neck radiation oncology is xerostomia. In several studies, reduced radiation dose to the salivary glands has been shown to diminish the effects of gland dysfunction...
- Time management in radiation oncology: development and evaluation of a modular system based on the example of rectal cancer treatment. The DEGRO-QUIRO trialR Fietkau
Department of Radiation Oncology, Erlangen University Hospital, Universitatsstr 27, 91054, Erlangen, Germany
Strahlenther Onkol 188:5-11. 2012..a modular system for measurement of the work times required by the various professional groups involved in radiation oncology before, during, and after serial radiation treatment (long-term irradiation with 25-28 fractions of 1...
- [Database supported electronic retrospective analyses in radiation oncology: establishing a workflow using the example of pancreatic cancer]K A Kessel
Abteilung für Radioonkolgie und Strahlentherapie, Universitatsklinikum Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 400, 69120, Heidelberg, Deutschland
Strahlenther Onkol 188:1119-24. 2012Especially in the field of radiation oncology, handling a large variety of voluminous datasets from various information systems in different documentation styles efficiently is crucial for patient care and research...
- American College of Radiology (ACR) and American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) Practice Guideline for Intensity-modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)Alan C Hartford
Department of Medicine, Section of Radiation Oncology, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH 03753 1797, USA
Am J Clin Oncol 35:612-7. 2012..It is widely utilized in the treatment of a variety of clinical indications in radiation oncology, including tumors of the central nervous system, head and neck, breast, prostate, gastrointestinal tract, ..
- A single-institution review of accelerated partial breast irradiation in patients considered "cautionary" by the American Society for Radiation OncologyTari S Stull
Department of Surgery, The Bryn Mawr Hospital, Bryn Mawr, PA, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 19:553-9. 2012The American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) issued a consensus statement in 2009 regarding patient selection for accelerated partial breast irradiation (APBI) following breast-conserving surgery (BCS) for breast cancer (BC)...
- [Towards global security in radiation oncology. Using event notification feed-back]S Woynar
Mission d Evaluation et d Audit Hospitalier, 50, rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine, 75012, Paris, France
Cancer Radiother 11:320-8. 2007..of the professionals (certification) and of the organisations (accreditations). Radiation oncology plays a key role in the multidisciplinary treatment of cancer ant is very sensitive to quality assurances ..
- Incorporating gross anatomy education into radiation oncology residency: a 2-year curriculum with evaluation of resident satisfactionAlvin R Cabrera
Department of Radiation Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Am Coll Radiol 8:335-40. 2011..Oncoanatomy" is an educational program for radiation oncology residents at Duke University that integrates cadaver dissection into the instruction of oncologic anatomy, ..
- Consensus recommendations for incident learning database structures in radiation oncologyE C Ford
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Med Phys 39:7272-90. 2012..However, implementing an effective incident learning system is complex, especially in radiation oncology. One current barrier is the lack of technical standards to guide users or developers...
- Event (error and near-miss) reporting and learning system for process improvement in radiation oncologySasa Mutic
Department of Radiation Oncology, Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University School of Medicine, 4921 Parkview Place, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Med Phys 37:5027-36. 2010..The purpose of this work is to report on the design and long-term use of an electronic reporting system in a RT department and compare it to the paper-based reporting system it replaced...
- New paradigms and future challenges in radiation oncology: an update of biological targets and technologyStanley L Liauw
Department of Radiation and Cellular Oncology, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Sci Transl Med 5:173sr2. 2013b>Radiation oncology exploits the biological interaction of radiation within tissue to promote tumor death while minimizing damage to surrounding normal tissue...
- ACR appropriateness criteria retreatment of recurrent head and neck cancer after prior definitive radiation expert panel on radiation oncology-head and neck cancerMark W McDonald
Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 80:1292-8. 2011....
- Preclinical models in radiation oncologyJenna Kahn
Radiation Oncology Branch, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Radiat Oncol 7:223. 2012..Preclinical models in radiation oncology are essential tools for cancer research and therapeutics...
- An increase in medical student knowledge of radiation oncology: a pre-post examination analysis of the oncology education initiativeAriel E Hirsch
Department of Radiation Oncology, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 73:1003-8; quiz 1008.e1-1008.e2. 2009The Oncology Education Initiative was created to advance oncology and radiation oncology education by integrating structured didactics into the existing core radiology clerkship...
- Non-physician practitioners in radiation oncology: advanced practice nurses and physician assistantsJ F Kelvin
Ambulatory Care, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 45:255-63. 1999..in the number of residents, there is a need to explore new ways of achieving high quality patient care in radiation oncology. One mechanism is the implementation of non-physician practitioner roles, such as the advanced practice ..
- Assessing the need for a dietitian in radiation oncologyTracy K Gosselin
oncology serveses, Duke University Hospital, Durham, NC, USA
Clin J Oncol Nurs 12:781-7. 2008..The quality improvement project illustrated in this article clearly demonstrated the need for a dietitian in the radiation oncology clinic by using the Patient-Generated Subjective Global Assessment.
- PET-CT in radiation oncology: the impact on diagnosis, treatment planning, and assessment of treatment responseDwight E Heron
University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Am J Clin Oncol 31:352-62. 2008..PET)-computed tomography (CT) systems in the design and management of cancer patients in the modern radiation oncology practice...
- Australian & New Zealand Faculty of Radiation Oncology Genito-Urinary Group: 2011 consensus guidelines for curative radiotherapy for urothelial carcinoma of the bladderBenjamin R Hindson
William Buckland Radiation Oncology, Alfred Health, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol 56:18-30. 2012..The Australian and New Zealand Faculty of Radiation Oncology Genito-Urinary Group recognised a need to develop consistent, evidence-based guidelines for patient ..
- Patterns of radiotherapy practice for pancreatic cancer in Japan: results of the Japanese Radiation Oncology Study Group (JROSG) surveyKazuhiko Ogawa
Department of Radiology, University of the Ryukyus, Okinawa, Japan
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 77:743-50. 2010..To determine the patterns of radiotherapy practice for pancreatic cancer in Japan...
- Continuing professional development needs of Australian radiation oncology medical physicists--an analysis of applications for CPD fundingA Perkins
Peter MacCallurm Cancer Centre, Melbourne, Australia
Australas Phys Eng Sci Med 30:226-32. 2007In November 2004, the Australian federal government allocated $775,000 to individual Australian radiation oncology medical physicists (ROMPs) to access continuing professional development (CPD) activities...
- AFOMP POLICY STATEMENT No. 2: recommended clinical radiation oncology medical physicist staffing levels in AFOMP countriesW H Round
Department of Engineering, University of Waikato, Private Bag 3105, Hamilton 3240, New Zealand
Australas Phys Eng Sci Med 33:7-10. 2010..main purpose of the document is to give guidance as to how many medical physicists are required to staff a radiation oncology department...
- The future of radiation oncology in the United States from 2010 to 2020: will supply keep pace with demand?Benjamin D Smith
The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Unit 1202, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:5160-5. 2010..forecasted an incipient shortage of medical oncologists as a result of the aging US population, but the radiation oncology workforce has not been studied...
- Hypoxic radiosensitizers and hypoxic cytotoxins in radiation oncologyMartin Weinmann
Klinik für Radioonkologie, Universitat Tubingen, Hoppe Seyler Str 3, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Curr Med Chem Anticancer Agents 3:364-74. 2003..This article reviews in brief the clinical experience with different generations of hypoxic radiosensitizers and hypoxic cytotoxins, which have been applied in combination with primary radiotherapy during the last three decades...
- The systematic application of quality measures and process control in clinical radiation oncologyTodd Pawlicki
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Semin Radiat Oncol 22:70-6. 2012..on quality measures and process analysis techniques that may be implemented in the daily practice of radiation oncology to improve the overall quality of patient care...
- Improving quality of patient care by improving daily practice in radiation oncologyBhishamjit S Chera
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of North Carolina Hospitals, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Semin Radiat Oncol 22:77-85. 2012b>Radiation oncology is an ever-advancing, complex, technologically based specialty that has been thrust into the public spotlight because of recent reports of serious treatment delivery errors that have impacted the quality of patient care...
- The characteristics of Fuji IP Cassette Type PII and application for radiation oncology quality assurance tests and portal imagingH S Soh
Department of Biomedical Imaging, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Australas Phys Eng Sci Med 31:146-50. 2008..computed radiography (CR) system is becoming an important tool not only in diagnostic imaging, but also in radiation oncology. A new CR system that was specially designed for the use in radiation oncology, Fuji IP cassette type PII ..
- Australian & New Zealand Faculty of Radiation Oncology Genito-Urinary Group: 2010 consensus guidelines for definitive external beam radiotherapy for prostate carcinomaA J Hayden
Westmead Cancer Care Centre Northern Sydney Cancer Centre Liverpool and Macarthur Cancer Therapy Centres, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol 54:513-25. 2010..The Australian & New Zealand Faculty of Radiation Oncology Genito-Urinary Group undertook a process to develop consensus clinical practice guidelines for external beam ..
- Changes in patterns of care for limited-stage small-cell lung cancer: results of the 99-01 patterns of care study-a nationwide survey in JapanTakashi Uno
Department of Radiology, Chiba University Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba, Japan
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 71:414-9. 2008..This study was undertaken to analyze the practice process of thoracic radiotherapy (TRT) and evaluate changes in patterns of care for patients with limited-stage small-cell lung cancer (LS-SCLC) in Japan...
- A comparison of daily megavoltage CT and ultrasound image guided radiation therapy for prostate cancerCheng Peng
Department of Radiation Oncology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Med Phys 35:5619-28. 2008..Ultrasound-based localization may overestimate the daily prostate motion, particularly in the A/P direction, negatively impacting prostate dose coverage and rectal sparing...
- Patterns of care study in JapanTeruki Teshima
Department of Medical Physics and Engineering, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Jpn J Clin Oncol 35:497-506. 2005The Patterns of Care Study (PCS), started in the 1970's, is a well-known study used for clinical quality assurance (QA) in radiation oncology in the United States. PCS has been introduced in Japan since 1996.
- Radiation oncology in brain tumors: current approaches and clinical trials in progressMichael D Chan
Department of Radiation Oncology, Wake Forest University Health Sciences, 1 Medical Center Boulevard, Winston Salem, NC 27104, USA
Neuroimaging Clin N Am 20:401-8. 2010..Particular attention in this review is paid to current approaches, contemporary trials, and modern therapeutic dilemmas...
- Radiation Oncology Safety Information System (ROSIS)--profiles of participants and the first 1074 incident reportsJoanne Cunningham
Discipline of Radiation Therapy, School of Medicine, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland
Radiother Oncol 97:601-7. 2010The Radiation Oncology Safety Information System (ROSIS) was established in 2001...
- Radiation oncology in undergraduate medical education: a literature reviewKristopher E B Dennis
Radiation Oncology Program, British Columbia Cancer Agency, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 76:649-55. 2010To review the published literature pertaining to radiation oncology in undergraduate medical education.
- Does partial expander deflation exacerbate the adverse effects of radiotherapy in two-stage breast reconstruction?Burcu Celet Ozden
Istanbul University, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Istanbul, Turkey
World J Surg Oncol 10:44. 2012..The optimum protocol for expander volume adjustment with respect to the timing and application of radiotherapy remains controversial...
- Patterns of postoperative radiotherapy for head and neck cancer in Italy: a prospective, observational study by the head and neck group of the Italian Association for Radiation Oncology (AIRO)Mauro Palazzi
Radiotherapy Units of the following institutions in Italy
Tumori 97:170-6. 2011..A prospective observational study was therefore designed to evaluate this issue in greater detail...
- Molecular targets in radiation oncologyRupert K Schmidt-Ullrich
Radiation Oncology Department, Medical College of Virginia Campus, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, USA
Oncogene 22:5730-3. 2003
- Advances in clinical research in gynecologic radiation oncology: an RTOG symposiumDavid Gaffney
Department of Radiation Oncology, Huntsman Cancer Hospital, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Int J Gynecol Cancer 22:667-74. 2012There have been inexorable improvements in gynecologic radiation oncology through technologically advances, 3-dimensional imaging, and clinical research...
- Evaluation of safety in a radiation oncology setting using failure mode and effects analysisEric C Ford
Department of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 74:852-8. 2009Failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA) is a widely used tool for prospectively evaluating safety and reliability. We report our experiences in applying FMEA in the setting of radiation oncology.
- Pilot study of meaningful use of electronic health records in radiation oncologyXinglei Shen
Kimmel Cancer Center and Jefferson School of Population Health, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
J Oncol Pract 8:219-23. 2012..We undertook a pilot study to determine the level of adoption and barriers to implementation of meaningful use (MU) of EHR systems as defined by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) in US radiation oncology practices.
- Successful implementation of image-guided radiation therapy quality assurance in the Trans Tasman Radiation Oncology Group 08.01 PROFIT StudyMark Middleton
Radiation Oncology Queensland, St Andrews Hospital, Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 81:1576-81. 2011..The purpose of this study was to demonstrate the feasibility of IGRT QA as part of the credentialing process for a clinical trial...
- Anniversary paper: A sampling of novel technologies and the role of medical physicists in radiation oncologyStephen Balter
Department of Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York 10032, USA
Med Phys 35:5641-52. 2008..This review covers some of the highlights of contributions of medical physicists to the field of radiation oncology during the history of the AAPM...
- Multi-institutional clinical experience with the Calypso System in localization and continuous, real-time monitoring of the prostate gland during external radiotherapyPatrick Kupelian
M D Anderson Cancer Center Orlando, Orlando, FL 32806, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 67:1088-98. 2007..To report the clinical experience with an electromagnetic treatment target positioning and continuous monitoring system in patients with localized prostate cancer receiving external beam radiotherapy...
- Multidisciplinary approach of early breast cancer: the biology applied to radiation oncologyCéline Bourgier
Département d Oncologie Radiothérapie, Unité fonctionnelle de Sénologie, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Radiat Oncol 5:2. 2010..The aim of this article is to highlight the contribution of biological tools in the locoregional management of early breast cancer...
- Basics of particle therapy: introduction to hadronsJames S Welsh
Department of Human Oncology, University of Wisconsin Madison, UW Cancer Center Riverview, Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494, USA
Am J Clin Oncol 31:493-5. 2008..conformal radiation therapy and intensity modulated radiation therapy, radiation dose distributions in radiation oncology have improved dramatically over the past couple of decades...
- MOSFET dosimetry on modern radiation oncology modalitiesA B Rosenfeld
Centre tor Medical Radiation Physics, University of Wollongong, Australia
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 101:393-8. 2002..dosimetry is presented with an emphasis on the development of a scanning MOSFET dosimetry system for modern radiation oncology modalities. Fundamental aspects of MOSFETs in relation to their use as dosemeters are briefly discussed...
- Head-and-neck target delineation among radiation oncology residents after a teaching intervention: a prospective, blinded pilot studyJustin E Bekelman
Department of Radiation Oncology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 73:416-23. 2009..this study to determine the feasibility of incorporating a teaching intervention on target delineation into the educational curriculum of a radiation oncology residency program and to assess the short-term effects on resident skills.
- [Delineation variation of lung cancer in conformal radiotherapy among radiation oncology residents after an educational course: a prospective study]S Dewas
Département universitaire de radiothérapie, Centre Oscar Lambret, 3 Rue Frederic Combemale, Lille Cedex, France
Cancer Radiother 14:103-10. 2010..A comparative study of delineation and doses prescribed for a clinical case of lung carcinoma is reported before and after the completion of a theoretical education...
- A survey of image-guided radiation therapy use in the United StatesDaniel R Simpson
Department of Radiation Oncology, Center for Advanced Radiotherapy Technologies, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0843, USA
Cancer 116:3953-60. 2010Image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT) is a novel array of in-room imaging modalities that are used for tumor localization and patient setup in radiation oncology. The prevalence of IGRT use among US radiation oncologists is unknown.
- Routine screening for depression in radiation oncology patientsCarol A Hahn
Department of Radiation Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Am J Clin Oncol 27:497-9. 2004Depression is a debilitating illness with symptoms that overlap those of cancer and radiotherapy. We sought to measure the frequency of depression in adult radiation oncology patients.
- American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) and American College of Radiology (ACR) practice guideline for the transperineal permanent brachytherapy of prostate cancerSeth A Rosenthal
Radiation Oncology Centers, Radiological Associates of Sacramento, Sacramento, CA 95815 4227, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 79:335-41. 2011..A collaborative effort of the American College of Radiology (ACR) and American Society for Therapeutic Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) has produced a practice guideline for permanent prostate brachytherapy...
- Radiation oncology: overview and recent advancesM Dahele
Department of Radiation Oncology, VU University Medical Center, De Boelelaan 1117, 1081HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J R Coll Physicians Edinb 40:136-43; quiz 143-4. 2010..In recent years the specialty of radiation oncology has seen rapid advances in physics and technology, several of which are now having an impact in the clinic ..
- Current status and future potential of advanced technologies in radiation oncology. Part 1. Challenges and resourcesBhadrasain Vikram
Clinical Radiation Oncology Branch, Radiation Research Program, Division of Cancer Treatment and Diagnosis, National Cancer Institute, Rockville, Maryland 20852, USA
Oncology (Williston Park) 23:279-83. 2009..Part 2, which will appear in next month's issue of ONCOLOGY, will address the state of the science for each disease site...
- High-risk Merkel cell carcinoma of the skin treated with synchronous carboplatin/etoposide and radiation: a Trans-Tasman Radiation Oncology Group Study--TROG 96:07Michael Poulsen
Mater Queensland Radium Institute, Raymond Tee, South Brisbane, QLD 4101 Australia
J Clin Oncol 21:4371-6. 2003..The effectiveness of synchronous carboplatin, etoposide, and radiation therapy was prospectively assessed in a group of patients with high-risk Merkel cell carcinoma (MCC) of the skin...
- Quality assurance needs for modern image-based radiotherapy: recommendations from 2007 interorganizational symposium on "quality assurance of radiation therapy: challenges of advanced technology"Jeffrey F Williamson
Department of Radiation Oncology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 71:S2-12. 2008..in Medicine (AAPM), and National Cancer Institute (NCI), included >40 invited speakers from the radiation oncology and industrial engineering/human factor communities and attracted nearly 350 attendees, mostly medical ..
- Characterization of lung cancer radiosensitizers from genome-wide RNAi screensDavid Kozono; Fiscal Year: 2013..I ultimately sought training in radiation oncology to join the fight against the disease...
- POSTDOCTORAL TRAINING IN TUMOR BIOLOGYMichael L Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2013..Genetics, Medicine, Microbiology &Immunology, Molecular &Cellular Physiology, Pathology, Pediatrics, Radiation Oncology, and Structural Biology) as well as the Department of Biological Sciences in the School of Humanities and ..
- Conducting Research in Pediatric Hematology/OncologyDebra L Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2013..the Departments of Pediatrics, Medicine, Surgery, Biochemistry, Psychology, Chemistry, Physics, Pathology, Radiation Oncology, Cell and Developmental Biology, Physiology, Pharmacology, Neurology, and Immunology...
- CANCER AND LEUKEMIA GROUP BMonica M Bertagnolli; Fiscal Year: 2013..Scientific resources committees, including Clinical Research Associates, Pathology and Radiation Oncology, provide essential quality assurance and training activities for the Group...
- CANCER AND LEUKEMIA GROUP B CCOP RESEARCH BASEElectra D Paskett; Fiscal Year: 2013..Scientific resources committees, including Clinical Research Associates, Pathology and Radiation Oncology, provide essential quality assurance and training activities for the Group...
- 8th Annual Conference on Head and Neck CancerEben L Rosenthal; Fiscal Year: 2012..attendees (2000 attendees in 2008) from four specialties representing the disciplines of medical oncology radiation oncology, radiology and head and neck surgery in order to ensure educational interaction within and between ..
- Interventions Targeting Inflammation for Chemotherapy-Related Cognitive ProblemsMICHELLE C JANELSINS; Fiscal Year: 2013..Dr. Michelle Janelsins, an Assistant Professor in the Department of Radiation Oncology at the University of Rochester Medical Center, is applying for a K07 mentored career development award to ..
- NORTH CENTRAL CANCER TREATMENT GROUPJan C Buckner; Fiscal Year: 2013..Breast Cancer, Gastrointestinal Cancer, Lung Cancer, and Neuro-oncology; three Modality Committees: Surgery, Radiation Oncology, and Pathology;three Discipline-oriented Scientific Committees: Novel Therapeutics, Quality of Life, and ..
- Human Breast Cancer Stem Cell SurrogatesWendy A Woodward; Fiscal Year: 2012..Oncology, James Reuben, PhD, Hematopathology, and Wendy Woodward, MD-PhD, Clinical and Experimental Breast Radiation Oncology. The goals are 1) Measure CTCs and DTCs in patients without metastatic disease, assess these cells for stem ..
- Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (Main Institution)JOHN MUNN KIRKWOOD; Fiscal Year: 2013..in which the traditional academic departments and divisions of Hematology/Oncology, Surgical Oncology, and Radiation Oncology are configured along disease-oriented lines to facilitate the growth and development of interdisciplinary ..
- TRAINING PROGRAM IN FREE RADICAL AND RADIATION BIOLOGYDOUGLAS ROBERT SPITZ; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The Free Radical and Radiation Biology Training Program in Radiation Oncology at the University of lowa was established to provide interdisciplinary graduate and post-graduate training with a focus on ..
- Nanotechnology enabled desktop image-guided microbeam radiation therapy systemOTTO Z contact ZHOU; Fiscal Year: 2010..its feasibility demonstrated, we plan to commercialize this technology and make it available for the broad radiation oncology community...
- High Throughput Screens of Novel Radiation Sensitizers and ProtectorsWilliam F Morgan; Fiscal Year: 2011..throughput drug screen technology to identify new radiation sensitizers and protectors for use in clinical radiation oncology and in the event of radiological terrorism. Three specific aims are proposed...
- REQUEST TO PURCHASE A VARIAN HIGH RESOLUTION NMR REPLACEMENT CONSOLEJoseph J H Ackerman; Fiscal Year: 2010..Internal Medicine, Neurology, Ophthalmology, Pathology, Pharmacology &Molecular Biology, Physics, Radiation Oncology, and Radiology...
- SARRP 200 Small animal radiation research platformConstantinos Koumenis; Fiscal Year: 2010..Thus, in addition to providing advanced research capabilities for the Radiation Oncology Department, this instrument will open a world of opportunity for combined research with all other users of ..
- Effectiveness of Radiotherapy for Prostate CancerJUSTIN BEKELMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..I am an Assistant Professor of Radiation Oncology, a member of the Abramson Cancer Center and a Senior Fellow at the Leonard Davis Institute of Health ..
- UNC Oncology Clinical Translational Research Training ProgramNorman E Sharpless; Fiscal Year: 2013..North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC) Divisions of Adult and Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, the Department of Radiation Oncology, the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center (LCCC) and the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology ..
- Multispectral Imaging Flow Cytometer CoreGerard C Blobe; Fiscal Year: 2010..and disciplines (Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Immunology, Medicine, Microbiology and Genetics, Pediatrics, Radiation Oncology, Pharmacology and Cancer Biology)...
- Targeted Modulation of the Death Receptor as a Therapeutic Strategy for GliomaJAY FITZGERALD DORSEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..The candidate has completed Residency training in Radiation Oncology at the University of Pennsylvania and has passed his Radiation Oncology Board-Certification exams...
- Doppler Optical Frequency Domain Imaging InstrumentDai Fukumura; Fiscal Year: 2010..The facility will be shared by multiple investigators, including scientists from the Departments of Radiation Oncology and Dermatology at MGH, and will be critical for meeting the aims of ongoing NIH-funded projects of these ..
- Developing a Medical Biometric Identification System wit a Secure Database NetworJason W Sohn; Fiscal Year: 2012..Sunnyvale, CA) used by radiation oncology and picture archiving and communication system (PACS) patient imaging databases...
- TOWARDS A REFINED MOLECULAR RECURSIVE PARTITIONING ANALYSIS MODEL FOR GLIOBLASTOMWALTER JOHN contact CURRAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..a joint effort between the RTOG and the laboratories of Arnab Chakravarti, MD, Chair and Professor of Radiation Oncology at the Arthur G...
- TRAINING PROGRAM IN MOLECULAR ONCOLOGY AND IMMUNOLOGYDavid E Levy; Fiscal Year: 2013..from the Departments of Pathology, Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Medicine, Pediatrics, Urology, Radiation Oncology, Dermatology, Radiology and Microbiology participate as primary mentors in this program, and they are ..
- Training in Radiation Oncology Translational ResearchRoss B Mikkelsen; Fiscal Year: 2011..at the pre-doctoral and post-doctoral levels in radiation biology, medical physics and imaging relevant to radiation oncology. The program (1 predoctoral, 4 postdoctoral students) consists of 3 years support for post-doctoral students ..
- A Coaxial Plasma Accelerator for Proton RadiotherapyMARK CAPPELLI; Fiscal Year: 2010..in accelerator technology in mechanical engineering at Stanford University with an important unmet need in radiation oncology- a relatively compact, inexpensive accelerator for proton therapy...
- A Novel Therapy for the Treatment of Chest Wall Progression of Breast CancerGary S Rogers; Fiscal Year: 2010..pre-clinical results are changing thought-leader opinion regarding PDT and have spurred interest from the radiation oncology, medical and surgical oncology communities...
- 4D IMRT: Stereotactic body radiotherapy for lung cancerPaul J Keall; Fiscal Year: 2013..Such a comprehensive and multidisciplinary approach to manage tumor motion will offer the radiation oncology team superior radiation beam-tumor targeting and conformality methods to treat early stage lung cancer ..
- University Training Program in Biomolecular and Tissue EngineeringWILLIAM MONTGOMERY REICHERT; Fiscal Year: 2013..of Arts &Sciences (Chemistry, Computer Science), and 9 in the Basic Medical Science (Cell Biology, Radiation Oncology, Surgery, Bioinformatics, Medicine, Ophthalmology, and Radiology) and Clinical Departments of the Duke ..
- Clinical Research Career Development ProgramBRUCE ALLAN CHABNER; Fiscal Year: 2013..first funded in 2002 and has supported 14 fellows from diverse subspecialty backgrounds (surgery, medicine, radiation oncology) and with diverse research interests, as well as two Minority Fellows funded by CURE Supplements. ...
- TRAINING OF ACADEMIC HEAD AND NECK SURGICAL ONCOLOGISTJEFFREY NICHOLAS MYERS; Fiscal Year: 2010..head and neck surgical oncology training in which the trainees have extensive exposure to medical oncology, radiation oncology, speech pathology, and dental oncology...
- Novel Static Screen Volumetric 3D Display for Medical Image VisualizationJason Geng; Fiscal Year: 2010..and Technology Initiative", Submitted by Xigen LLC on 08/05/2008, in collaboration with Department of Radiation Oncology, Johns Hopkins Medical Institute Project Summary Recent advances in medical imaging technology have led to ..
- Training Program in Translational Brain Tumor ResearchRussell O Pieper; Fiscal Year: 2013..of the faculty, or from MD or MD/PhD trainees in the UCSF Neuro-Oncology Fellowship Program, or the UCSF Radiation Oncology Residency Program...
- GammabeamX200 Preclinical Research IrradiatorSILVIA CHIARA FORMENTI; Fiscal Year: 2010..Since the establishment of the Department of Radiation Oncology in 2000, a widespread recognition of the multi-dimensional uses of radiation as a tool for research and ..
- Training Program in Nervous System TumorsTracy T Batchelor; Fiscal Year: 2013..neuro-oncology, adult and pediatric neurosurgical oncology, adult and pediatric medical oncology and radiation oncology. A qualified pool of applicants from these disciplines can be expected to grow from existing and developing ..
- The Training in Oxygen in Health and Disease Nanduri R Prabhakar; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our proposed training program, which emphasizes crossing of departmental barriers and scientific disciplines, will develop well-rounded scientists trained in O2 biology, which has basic and translational significance. ..
- Vevo 2100 ultrasound scannerFlemming Forsberg; Fiscal Year: 2012..Researchers from many different TJU departments (including Radiology, Radiation Oncology, Cancer Biology, Biochemistry &Molecular Biology, Pharmacology &Experimental Therapeutics and ..
- Zambian Cervical Cancer Research Capacity InitiativeGROESBECK PREER PARHAM; Fiscal Year: 2013..six medical disciplines, each with a dedicated UAB mentor and a senior and junior Zambian investigator: radiation oncology, gynecologic oncology, pathology, virology, nutrition, epidemiology and biostatistics...
- Tissue Oxygen (pO2) Measurement by Photoacoustic ImagingShai Ashkenazi; Fiscal Year: 2012..For deeper tumor locations (e.g. breast cancer tumors) invasive optical fiber illumination will be considered. Such imaging modality could have a profound impact on clinical practice in oncology and particularly in radiation oncology.
- Fatigue in Head and Neck Cancer: Role of pro- and anti-inflammatory signalingCanhua Xiao; Fiscal Year: 2013..Jeanne Kowalski). This team also includes three specialists on radiation oncology and head and neck cancer (Dr. Jonathan J. Beitler), immune and neuroendocrine laboratory techniques (Dr...
- Role of vascular mimicry in tumor escape from anti-angiogenic therapyJAMES MICHAEL DUNLEAVEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..Through the collaboration with Dr. Janiel Shields in the Department of Radiation Oncology at UNC (see letter) we will examine human melanoma cell lines for the expression of CD31...
- Quantitative models and methods for genetic organizationIndika Rajapakse; Fiscal Year: 2013..M. Groudine, deputy director and executive vice president of the FHCRC and professor, Department of Radiation Oncology and Pathology (UW), and Dr. J...
- A Novel Dose Calculation Method for Targeted Radionuclide TherapyFiras Mourtada; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our long term goal is to develop targeted radionuclide therapy planning tools comparable to those used in radiation oncology practice (e.g...
- Design of a real-time dosimetry prototype for use with external beam radiotherapyENRIQUE WILMAR IZAGUIRRE; Fiscal Year: 2013b>Radiation oncology patients receive highly complicated treatments such as intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), volumetric modulated arc therapy, stereotactic radiosurgery and stereotactic body radiation therapy using clinical ..
- Joint Segmentation of MR and CT scans for Gynecologic Cancer BrachytherapyTina Kapur; Fiscal Year: 2012..Akila Viswanathan, Chief of Gynecologic Radiation Oncology at our hospital. Contours were drawn manually on these scans, and we will test our method against these...
- Laboratory Training Program in Radiation OncologyFred Bunz; Fiscal Year: 2012..advancement of this field is threatened by a critical shortage of research scientists with expertise in Radiation Oncology. As a major initiative within the newly formed Department of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation ..
- Quantitative optical dosimetry of magnetic nanoparticle cancer treatmentsStephen Chad Kanick; Fiscal Year: 2013..proposal includes a multi-disciplinary group of mentors that possess expertise in cancer biology, surgery, radiation oncology, veterinary medicine, biomedical optics and imaging, clinical practice, and clinical translation and have ..
- Cancer Nanotechnology in Imaging and RadiotherapyGayle E Woloschak; Fiscal Year: 2013..Radiology and radiation oncology are clinical specialties that are heavily used for cancer diagnosis and treatment and that are likely to be ..
- RESEARCH TRAINING IN MEDICAL PHYSICSMaryellen L Giger; Fiscal Year: 2013..Unique features of this program are the faculty's focused effort on research in medical imaging and radiation oncology, and on the training of high-level medical physicists...
- The development of hybrid widefield imaging for out-of-focus background rejectionJEROME C MERTZ; Fiscal Year: 2012..Rakesh Jain group at the Massachusetts General Hospital Department of Radiation Oncology. HiLo imaging is a new technology...
- GENETICS TRAINING GRANTDouglas A Marchuk; Fiscal Year: 2013..Microbiology and Molecular Genetics (MGM), Pathology, Pediatrics, Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, and Radiation Oncology in the Medical Center and from the department of Biology and Chemistry in the School of Arts and Sciences...
- Radiotherapy outcomes for children in developing versus developed countriesPhillip J Taddei; Fiscal Year: 2013..Under the mentorship of established leaders in radiation oncology research, this work seeks to build on the partnership between the two institutions, sharpen my skills in ..
- CANCER AND LEUKEMIA GROUP BThomas C Shea; Fiscal Year: 2013..Prevention and Control, GI, Lymphoma, Molecular Pathology, Pharmaceutics and Experimental Therapeutics, Radiation Oncology and Transplant, and is the research base for a UNC based Minority Initiative Program and a VCU based ..
- Stanford Cancer Imaging Training (SCIT) ProgramFRANK GRAHAM SOMMER; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., Radiology, Radiation Oncology, Bioengineering, Biomedical Informatics, and Cancer Systems Biology...
- TRAINING PROGRAM IN CANCER BIOLOGYKenneth K Tanabe; Fiscal Year: 2013..the Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) clinical residency and fellowship programs in medical oncology, radiation oncology, and surgery. The quality of these candidates is outstanding...
- Positron Emission Tomography for Radiation TherapyDaniel A Low; Fiscal Year: 2010..This work will provide the radiation-oncology clinician with PET images having unrivaled resolution and sensitivity for target definition, leading to the improved efficacy of radiotherapy in the thoracic and abdominal regions. ..
- CANCER CENTER TRAINING - EXPERIMENTAL THERAPY MODELSHartmut Land; Fiscal Year: 2013..and immune therapy, mathematics, microbiology, pathology, pharmacology and toxicology, physics and radiation oncology. Trainees will attend a graduate level course on "Cancer Biology" which consists of a multi-disciplinary ..
- Purchase and installation of X-Rad 320 Biological irradiator for USC Keck SchoolColin K Hill; Fiscal Year: 2010..The P.I Dr Colin Hill of the Radiation Oncology Department in the Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center has put together an experienced management team and ..
- Training Program in Translational Radiation OncologyARTHUR W BLACKSTOCK; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Radiation oncology, biology and physics stand at the threshold of new approaches to treatment that promise to utilize the extraordinary advances in radiation delivery, molecular biology, and molecular ..
- U10 Full Member Application Affiliated with SWOGCathy Eng; Fiscal Year: 2013..to cancer patients through 13 interdisciplinary care centers, integrating medical oncology, surgery, radiation oncology, nursing, pharmacology, and other care providers by disease site/type...
- Sanford Community Cancer ConsortiumMiroslaw Mazurczak; Fiscal Year: 2013..The SCCC consists of 23 core investigators in medical . oncology, radiation oncology, and surgery. There are a number of supporting physicians in other medical disciplines.
- Small Animal CT Image Guided Xray Irradiation SystemCheng Shie Wuu; Fiscal Year: 2012..Using SARRP, we will develop and test imaging and treatment techniques applicable to radiation oncology, and support physicians and radiation biologists to address issues encountered in radiotherapy...
- CANCER ETIOLOGY, PREVENTION, DETECTION AND DIAGNOSISAmato J Giaccia; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., Radiation Oncology and Pathology), the opportunity to recruit and mentor top-notch graduate students and postdoctoral fellows...
- Improving Cancer Outcomes for African-AmericansPatrick Maguire; Fiscal Year: 2007..Participation by African-American cancer patients in federally sponsored radiation oncology group clinical trials has the potential to articulate more clearly the factors that contribute to these ..
- RECEPTOR MEDIATED RADIATION ONCOLOGYWILLIAM BLOOMER; Fiscal Year: 1991The overall objective of the proposed research is to develop new strategies in radiation oncology using the Auger effect of iodine-125 and the alpha emissions of astatine-211...
- SUPERHEATED DROP DETECTORS FOR DOSIMETRY IN RADIOTHERAPYRavinder Nath; Fiscal Year: 2001..A unique advantage of these detectors in dosimetry for radiation oncology is that their response depends on both absorbed dose and linear energy transfer (LET)...
- A High Field 9.4 Tesla Animal MRI/MRS SystemTHIAN NG; Fiscal Year: 2003..Other supports are from the Departments of Medicine, Pharmacology, Pathology, Radiation Oncology, Radiology, and the Division of Hematology/Oncology...
- RADIATION BIOLOGY TRAINING PROGRAMBruce Demple; Fiscal Year: 2009..cellular and molecular radiation biology, mutagenesis, carcinogenesis, cytogenetics, animal models, and radiation oncology. Predoctoral trainees will have a science background in physics, chemistry and/or biology...