Genomes and Genes
Summary: A subspecialty of internal medicine concerned with the anatomy, physiology, and pathology of the kidney.
Publications335 found, 100 shown here
- Decline in kidney function before and after nephrology referral and the effect on survival in moderate to advanced chronic kidney diseaseChris Jones
Department of Public Health Sciences and Medical Statistics, University of Southampton, Level C 805, South Academic Block, Southampton General Hospital, Tremona Road, Southampton, UK
Nephrol Dial Transplant 21:2133-43. 2006The burden of chronic kidney disease (CKD) is high, but its natural history and the benefit of routine nephrology care is unclear...
- Prognosis of CKD patients receiving outpatient nephrology care in ItalyLuca De Nicola
Nephrology Division, University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 6:2421-8. 2011Prognosis in nondialysis chronic kidney disease (CKD) patients under regular nephrology care is rarely investigated...
- An evaluation of Wikipedia as a resource for patient education in nephrologyGarry R Thomas
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Semin Dial 26:159-63. 2013..This study assesses the comprehensiveness, reliability, and readability of nephrology articles on Wikipedia...
- Nephrology visits and health care resource use before and after reporting estimated glomerular filtration rateBrenda R Hemmelgarn
Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
JAMA 303:1151-8. 2010..Laboratory reporting of estimated glomerular filtration rate (GFR) has been widely implemented, with limited evaluation...
- The number, quality, and coverage of randomized controlled trials in nephrologyGiovanni F M Strippoli
NHMRC Centre of Clinical Research Excellence in Renal Medicine, The Children s Hospital at Westmead, School of Public Health, University of Sydney, Australia
J Am Soc Nephrol 15:411-9. 2004..The authors evaluated the number, quality, and coverage of RCT in nephrology. MEDLINE was searched using the relevant medical subject headings for nephrology and 12 major specialties in ..
- Genome-wide association studies in nephrology researchAnna Kottgen
Renal Division, University Hospital Freiburg, Germany
Am J Kidney Dis 56:743-58. 2010..purpose of this review is to provide an overview of the genome-wide association study method as it relates to nephrology research and summarize recent findings in the field...
- Predialysis nephrology care of older patients approaching end-stage renal diseaseWolfgang C Winkelmayer
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Arch Intern Med 171:1371-8. 2011Little is known about trends in the timing of first nephrology consultation and associated outcomes among older patients initiating dialysis.
- Nephrologist care and mortality in patients with chronic renal insufficiencyJerry Avorn
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Arch Intern Med 162:2002-6. 2002..We sought to determine whether early or frequent access to nephrologist care prior to the initiation of dialysis was associated with a difference in mortality rates in the first year after dialysis began...
- Outpatient nephrology referral rates after acute kidney injuryEdward D Siew
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 23:305-12. 2012..Processes of care after an episode of AKI are not well described. Here, we examined the likelihood of nephrology referral among survivors of AKI at risk for subsequent decline in kidney function in a US Department of Veterans ..
- Does predialysis nephrology care influence patient survival after initiation of dialysis?Samina S Khan
Division of Nephrology, Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Kidney Int 67:1038-46. 2005Early nephrology referral of patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) has been suggested to reduce mortality after initiation of dialysis...
- Barriers to successful care for chronic kidney diseaseOliver Lenz
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL, USA
BMC Nephrol 6:11. 2005..However, little is know about how many patients actually achieve these goals in a dedicated clinic for chronic kidney disease...
- Frontiers in nephrology: heterologous immunity, T cell cross-reactivity, and alloreactivityLiisa K Selin
Department of Pathology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, 55 Lake Avenue North, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 18:2268-77. 2007....
- CKD progression and mortality among older patients with diabetesUptal D Patel
Veterans Affairs Health Services Research and Development Center of Excellence, VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 46:406-14. 2005..In addition, little is known about patterns of nephrology care in patients with CKD.
- Impact of timing of nephrology referral and pre-ESRD care on mortality risk among new ESRD patients in the United StatesAustin G Stack
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Renal Diseases and Hypertension, University of Texas Medical School Houston, TX, 77030, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 41:310-8. 2003..We evaluated the impact of early nephrology referral and pre-end-stage renal disease (ESRD) care on mortality risk in a national cohort of new patients ..
- Grading evidence and recommendations for clinical practice guidelines in nephrology. A position statement from Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO)K Uhlig
Department of Medicine, Tufts New England Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Kidney Int 70:2058-65. 2006..systems used to rate the strength of guideline recommendations and the quality of the supporting evidence in Nephrology highlights the need for a uniform, internationally accepted, rigorous system...
- Acute Kidney Injury Network: report of an initiative to improve outcomes in acute kidney injuryRavindra L Mehta
Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego Medical Center 8342, 200 W, Arbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92103, USA
Crit Care 11:R31. 2007..We describe an initiative to develop uniform standards for defining and classifying AKI and to establish a forum for multidisciplinary interaction to improve care for patients with or at risk for AKI...
- Determinants of type and timing of initial permanent hemodialysis vascular accessC O Stehman-Breen
Department of Surgery, Veterans Administration Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
Kidney Int 57:639-45. 2000..We undertook a population-based study of hemodialysis (HD) patients to determine which factors are important in predicting the type of permanent access initially placed and if a functional permanent access is in place at the start of HD...
- The short- and long-term impact of multi-disciplinary clinics in addition to standard nephrology care on patient outcomesBryan M Curtis
Division of Nephrology, Patient Research Center, Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada
Nephrol Dial Transplant 20:147-54. 2005..This two country case control study of incident dialysis patients evaluates the outcomes of patients exposed to formalized multi-disciplinary clinic (MDC) programmes vs standard nephrologist care...
- Advances in critical care for the nephrologist: acute lung injury/ARDSKathleen D Liu
Division of Nephrology and Critical Care Medicine, Box 0532, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0532, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 3:578-86. 2008..Pharmacologic strategies and other ventilator management strategies have not been successful to date; however, several randomized, placebo controlled treatment trials are ongoing...
- Lost in publication: Half of all renal practice evidence is published in non-renal journalsA X Garg
Division of Nephrology, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Kidney Int 70:1995-2005. 2006..9% of studies), Kidney International (5.3%), American Journal of Kidney Diseases (4.7%), Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation (4.3%), Transplantation (4.2%), and Journal of the American Society of Nephrology (2...
- Treatment center and geographic variability in pre-ESRD care associate with increased mortalityWilliam M McClellan
Emory University School of Medicine, Renal Division, Rollins School of Public Health, Room 476, 1518 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 20:1078-85. 2009..morbidity and mortality, but the contribution of center-to-center and geographic variability of pre-ESRD nephrology care to mortality of patients with ESRD is unknown...
- Determinants of modality selection among incident US dialysis patients: results from a national studyAustin G Stack
Division of Renal Diseases and Hypertension, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 13:1279-87. 2002..As pre-ESRD patient care is an important contributor to PD use in the United States, greater efforts should be expended in improving its delivery earlier in the pre-ESRD period...
- Nephrology consultation in acute renal failure: does timing matter?Ravindra L Mehta
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, California, USA
Am J Med 113:456-61. 2002..The goals of this study were to identify correlates of the timing of nephrology consultation in acute renal failure, and to explore the relation between timing of consultation and outcomes.
- Observational studies versus randomized controlled trials: avenues to causal inference in nephrologyCsaba P Kovesdy
Division of Nephrology, Salem Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Salem, VA 24153, USA
Adv Chronic Kidney Dis 19:11-8. 2012..The field of nephrology, like many other disciplines, has been suffering from a lack of RCTs...
- Mastery learning of temporary hemodialysis catheter insertion by nephrology fellows using simulation technology and deliberate practiceJeffrey H Barsuk
Department of Medicine, MD Office of Medical Education and Faculty Development, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 54:70-6. 2009Temporary hemodialysis catheter (THDC) insertion is a required skill for nephrology fellows. Traditional fellowship training may provide inadequate preparation to perform this procedure...
- Procedures in nephrology fellowships: time for changeDonald E Kohan
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 3:931-2. 2008
- Early nephrology referral is associated with prolonged survival in hemodialysis patients even after exclusion of lead-time biasSzu Chia Chen
Departments of Internal Medicine, Kaohsiung Municipal Hsiao Kang Hospital, Taiwan
Am J Med Sci 339:123-6. 2010Early nephrology referral (ER) has been suggested to lower morbidity and mortality in dialysis patients, but the nature of the association has been criticized as possibly because of lead-time bias...
- Survival benefit of nephrologic care in patients with diabetes mellitus and chronic kidney diseaseChin Lin Tseng
Department of Veterans Affairs Center for Healthcare Knowledge Management, Department of Veterans Affairs, New Jersey Health Care System, East Orange, NJ 07018, USA
Arch Intern Med 168:55-62. 2008..The association of nephrologic care and survival in patients with diabetes mellitus and chronic kidney disease is unknown...
- Outcomes in patients with chronic kidney disease referred late to nephrologists: a meta-analysisMicah R Chan
Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, Milwaukee, USA
Am J Med 120:1063-70. 2007..The study purpose was to compare differences in mortality and the duration of hospitalization in patients with chronic kidney disease who are referred early versus late to nephrologists...
- Better nephrology for mice--and manMatthew D Breyer
Biotechnology Discovery Research, Lilly Research Laboratories, Indianapolis, Indiana 46285, USA
Kidney Int 77:487-9. 2010..Eisner et al. now show that the impact of creatinine secretion on creatinine clearance is even larger in mice than in humans, raising questions regarding the utility of creatinine for measuring glomerular filtration rate in mice...
- Predialysis nephrology care and costs in elderly patients initiating dialysisKevin T Stroupe
Center for Management of Complex Chronic Care, Hines VA Hospital, Hines, IL 60141 5151, USA
Med Care 49:248-56. 2011Access to nephrology care before initiation of chronic dialysis is associated with improved outcomes after initiation. Less is known about the effect of predialysis nephrology care on healthcare costs and utilization.
- Early nephrology consultation can have an impact on outcome of acute kidney injury patientsDaniela Ponce
Department of Internal Medicine, Botucatu School of Medicine, UNESP, Botucatu, Brazil
Nephrol Dial Transplant 26:3202-6. 2011..this study were to compare clinical and laboratory characteristics of AKI patients evaluated and not evaluated by nephrologists in ICU and generate the hypothesis of the relationship between timing of nephrology consultation and outcome.
- Nephrology: main advances in the last 40 yearsFrancesco Locatelli
Department of Nephrology and Dialysis, A Manzoni Hospital, Lecco, Italy
J Nephrol 19:6-11. 2006Modern nephrology has become one of the liveliest and most productive branches of medicine...
- Quality of life and mortality from a nephrologist's view: a prospective observational studySeung Seok Han
Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
BMC Nephrol 10:39. 2009..The aim of this article is to evaluate the impact of HRQOL on mortality in the elderly, who are likely to develop or already have CKD...
- Retinoids in nephrology: promises and pitfallsQihe Xu
Department of Medicine, Royal Free and University College Medical School, University College London, London, UK
Kidney Int 66:2119-31. 2004..Retinoids, a family of vitamin A metabolites or analogs, play an important role in regulating cell proliferation, differentiation, and apoptosis...
- Relationship between nephrologist care and progression of chronic kidney diseaseLori A Orlando
Center for Clinical Health Policy at Duke University, 2200 W Main Street, Tower Suite 220, Durham, NC 27705, USA
N C Med J 68:9-16. 2007..However, limitations in the capacity of currently practicing nephrologists may prevent widespread early referral...
- The impact of automated eGFR reporting and education on nephrology service referralsEuan Noble
Department of Renal Medicine, University of Queensland, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Woolloongabba, Brisbane Qld 4102, Australia
Nephrol Dial Transplant 23:3845-50. 2008..The aim of this study was to evaluate the impact of automated laboratory reporting of eGFR on the quantity and quality of referrals to nephrology services in Southeast Queensland, Australia.
- When laboratories report estimated glomerular filtration rates in addition to serum creatinines, nephrology consults increaseArsh K Jain
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Kidney Int 76:318-23. 2009..Our study found that eGFR reporting was associated with a sudden increase in the number of nephrology consults...
- Tubulointerstitial lesions of patients with lupus nephritis classified by the 2003 International Society of Nephrology and Renal Pathology Society systemFeng Yu
Renal Division, Department of Medicine, Peking University First Hospital, Beijing, China
Kidney Int 77:820-9. 2010The 2003 International Society of Nephrology/Renal Pathology Society (ISN/RPS) system for classifying patients with lupus nephritis was based on glomerular lesions exclusively, despite the fact that lupus nephritis affects all ..
- Delayed nephrologist referral and inadequate vascular access in patients with advanced chronic kidney failureJerry Avorn
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics, Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 55:711-6. 2002..17; 1.71)]. Inadequate development of vascular access for renal replacement therapy in patients with late nephrologist referral unnecessarily contributes to the burden of disease experienced by this vulnerable patient population...
- The analysis of survival data in nephrology: basic concepts and methods of Cox regressionPaul C Van Dijk
Department of Medical Informatics, ERA EDTA Registry, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Kidney Int 74:705-9. 2008..This paper explains how Cox regression works, what the proportionality assumption means and how to interpret the results of univariate and multiple Cox regression models...
- Timing of nephrologist referral and arteriovenous access use: the CHOICE StudyB C Astor
Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology, and Clinical Research, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 38:494-501. 2001..Thus, further efforts to improve both referral patterns and preparation for dialysis after referral are needed...
- Outcomes of early versus late nephrology referral in chronic kidney disease: a systematic reviewNeil A Smart
Department of Exercise Science, Bond University, Queensland, Australia
Am J Med 124:1073-80.e2. 2011..starting dialysis therapy, is believed to be associated with increased morbidity and mortality, a systematic review was undertaken to evaluate clinical outcomes relating to early versus late referral of patients to nephrology services.
- Longer duration of predialysis nephrological care is associated with improved long-term survival of dialysis patientsP Jungers
Department of Nephrology, Necker Hospital, Paris, France
Nephrol Dial Transplant 16:2357-64. 2001..However, the impact of predialysis nephrological care duration (PNCD) on the long-term survival of dialysis patients had not been evaluated...
- Late referral to a nephrologist reduces access to renal transplantationAlan Cass
Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 42:1043-9. 2003..Late referral is associated with higher morbidity and worse long-term survival rates. The authors examined the effect of late referral on access to renal transplantation...
- Early referral strategies for management of people with markers of renal disease: a systematic review of the evidence of clinical effectiveness, cost-effectiveness and economic analysisC Black
Section of Population Health, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, UK
Health Technol Assess 14:1-184. 2010..Even in the absence of symptoms, CKD appears to add significantly to the burden of cardiovascular disease and death and, for an important minority, can progress to kidney failure...
- Delivery patterns of recommended chronic kidney disease care in clinical practice: administrative claims-based analysis and systematic literature reviewMarie D Philipneri
Division of Nephrology, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
Clin Exp Nephrol 12:41-52. 2008..Clinical practice guidelines for management of chronic kidney disease (CKD) have been developed within the Kidney Disease Outcomes Quality Initiative (K/DOQI). Adherence patterns may identify focus areas for quality improvement...
- An evaluation of a shared primary and secondary care nephrology service for managing patients with moderate to advanced CKDChris Jones
Department of Public Health Sciences and Medical Statistics, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK
Am J Kidney Dis 47:103-14. 2006Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is common, and nephrology services may not cope with the comprehensive referral of patients with CKD...
- Effects of late referral to a nephrologist in patients with chronic renal failureEkrem Dogan
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Medical Faculty, Sutcu Imam University, Kahramanmaras, Turkey
Nephrology (Carlton) 10:516-9. 2005..We lack information about the role of late diagnosis of end-stage renal disease (ESRD), late nephrological referral and its impact on biochemical variables and first hospitalization in East Anatolia, Turkey...
- Scientific publications in nephrology and urology journals from Chinese authors in East Asia: a 10-year survey of the literatureJing Xu
Department of Nephrology, Changzheng Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
PLoS ONE 6:e14781. 2011..In this study, we compared the quantity and quality of nephrological and urological articles published in international journals from the three major regions of China: the mainland (ML), Hong Kong (HK), and Taiwan (TW)...
- Communication skills training for dialysis decision-making and end-of-life care in nephrologyJane O Schell
Department of Medicine and Center for Palliative Care, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 8:675-80. 2013b>Nephrology fellows often face difficult conversations about dialysis initiation or withdrawal but are frequently unprepared for these discussions...
- A survey-based evaluation of self-perceived competency after nephrology fellowship trainingJeffrey S Berns
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce Street, 1 Founders Pavilion, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 5:490-6. 2010There have been no recent analyses of the adequacy of training in U.S. nephrology training programs or the importance of specific aspects of fellowship training in the careers and practices of nephrologists who recently completed training.
- Health-related quality of life in nephrology research and clinical practiceMark L Unruh
Renal Electrolyte Division, Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Semin Dial 18:82-90. 2005..Moreover, the effective assessment and interpretation of HRQOL will be aided by continued publication of norms, outcomes of randomized controlled trials, and continued experience of investigators and clinicians...
- Ultralate referral and presentation for renal replacement therapy: socioeconomic implicationsChamberlain I Obialo
Renal Section, Clinical Research Center, Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30310, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 46:881-6. 2005..This study examines the role of lifestyle and socioeconomic status on referral pattern...
- Clinical research promotes development of nephrology in China: an analysis of 20 years of scientific publicationsJia Kou
Department of Nephrology, Kidney Institute of Chinese PLA, Chinese PLA General Hospital, State Key Laboratory of Kidney Diseases, Beijing, PR China
Ren Fail 34:472-9. 2012To study the trend of clinical and basic research output in the field of nephrology in China during the past 20 years.
- Nephrology in chinaZhi Hong Liu
Research Institute of Nephrology, Jinling Hospital, Nanjing University School of Medicine, 305 East Zhong Shan Road, Nanjing 210002, China
Nat Rev Nephrol 9:523-8. 2013..The Chinese Society of Nephrology (CSN) advocates for efforts focused on preventing CKD coupled with early detection, treatment, and adequate ..
- Comparative study of scientific publications in urology and nephrology journals originating from USA, China and Japan (2001-2010)Juan Li
Department of Nephrology, Changhai Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
PLoS ONE 7:e42200. 2012..In this study, we aimed to compare the quantity and quality of publications in urology and nephrology journals from USA, China and Japan.
- Microarray applications in nephrology with special focus on transplantationThomas F Mueller
Division of Nephrology and Transplant Immunology, Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Nephrol 25:589-602. 2012..This review will give examples of transcriptome profiling in nephrology and focus on lessons learned from studies in kidney transplantation...
- Factors associated with chronic kidney disease progression in Australian nephrology practicesNeil Boudville
Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Perth, WA, Australia
Nephron Clin Pract 121:c36-41. 2012Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is a major health issue worldwide. The aim of this study was to explore factors associated with CKD progression in Australian nephrology practices.
- Predialyis nephrology care of older individuals approaching end-stage renal diseaseWolfgang C Winkelmayer
Division of Nephrology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, California 94304, USA
Semin Dial 25:628-32. 2012Many older patients with advanced CKD approaching ESRD do not receive timely nephrology care, although data suggest that the situation may be improving...
- Autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease in University Clinic of Nephrology and Haemodialysis of Cotonou: clinical and genetical findingsA Laleye
UFR de Biologie Humaine, Faculté des Sciences de la Santé FSS, Universite d Abomey Calavi UAC, Cotonou, Benin
Genet Couns 23:435-45. 2012..Its frequency in the University Clinic of Nephrology and Hemodialysis of Cotonou during the ten last years was 7 cases per year with a hospital prevalence estimated ..
- Latin American nephrology: scientific production and impact of the publicationsJ R Weisinger
Division of Nephrology, Hopsital Universitario de Caracas, Universidad Central de Venezuela
Kidney Int 56:1584-90. 1999..However, in less developed countries, budget restrictions and the lack of policies toward research may determine a limited growth of the scientific production...
- Temporary hemodialysis catheter placement by nephrology fellows: implications for nephrology trainingEdward G Clark
Kidney Research Centre, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Am J Kidney Dis 62:474-80. 2013The insertion of temporary hemodialysis catheters is considered to be a core competency of nephrology fellowship training...
- Validation of reported predialysis nephrology care of older patients initiating dialysisJane Paik Kim
Division of Nephrology, Stanford University School of Medicine, 780 Welch Road, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 23:1078-85. 2012..claims data, was the first observed outpatient nephrologist consultation; secondary analyses used the earliest nephrology consultation, whether inpatient or outpatient...
- Randomized controlled trials in nephrology: state of the evidence and critiquing the evidenceJoshua A Samuels
Division of Pediatric Nephrology and Hypertension, University of Texas Medical School at Houston, TX 77030, USA
Adv Chronic Kidney Dis 19:40-6. 2012..The paucity of robust evidence results in fewer patients receiving evidence-based therapies in nephrology and fewer rigorous systematic reviews to inform nephrology practice and health care policy...
- The timing of specialist evaluation in chronic kidney disease and mortalityKraig S Kinchen
Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program and Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology, and Clinical Research, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205 2223, USA
Ann Intern Med 137:479-86. 2002..Care for chronic renal failure involves management of complications and preparation for possible dialysis. Patients often are not evaluated by nephrologists in a timely manner...
- Nephrology: a specialty in need of resuscitation?Cathie A Lane
Department of Renal Medicine, St George Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Kogarah, New South Wales, Australia
Kidney Int 76:594-6. 2009b>Nephrology trainee recruitment is essential if we are to address the shortage of nephrologists in countries such as the USA, Canada, the UK and Australia...
- Mapping the literature of nephrology nursingMelody M Allison
Biology Library, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 101 Burrill Hall, 407 South Goodwin Avenue, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
J Med Libr Assoc 94:E74-9. 2006A bibliometric investigation was done to identify characteristics of the literature that nephrology nurses utilize...
- The landscape of clinical trials in nephrology: a systematic review of Clinicaltrials.govJula K Inrig
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC Quintiles Global Clinical Research Organization, Morrisville, NC
Am J Kidney Dis 63:771-80. 2014..However, it remains unknown whether contemporary clinical trials within nephrology are of sufficient quality and quantity to meet this need.
- Spanish nephrology nurses' views and attitudes towards caring for dying patientsTai Mooi Ho
Servei de Nefrologia, Hospital del Mar IMAS, Barcelona, Catalunya, Spain
J Ren Care 36:2-8. 2010..3% manifested that addressing death issue require special skills and 92.6% reported that education on EOL care is necessary. This paper suggests strategies which could ease the burden in this area of care...
- Diagnostic test studies in nephrology: quantity, quality, and scopeRichard G McGee
Centre for Kidney Research and Cochrane Renal Group, The Children s Hospital at Westmead, Westmead, NSW, Australia
Am J Kidney Dis 58:921-7. 2011..We hypothesized that diagnostic errors are reduced through evidence-based choice, use, and interpretation of diagnostic tests...
- Healthcare costs associated with nephrology care in pre-dialysis chronic kidney disease patientsFrancis Vekeman
Analysis Group, Inc, Washington, DC 20006, USA
J Med Econ 13:673-80. 2010To compare the healthcare costs of pre-dialysis chronic kidney disease (CKD) patients cared for in a nephrology clinic setting versus other care settings.
- Slowing renal function decline in chronic kidney disease patients after nephrology referralSzu Chia Chen
Department of Internal Medicine, Kaohsiung Municipal Hsiao Kang Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Nephrology (Carlton) 13:730-6. 2008..We aimed to study the decline in renal function and factors related to the change in renal function before and after referral...
- Why kidneys fail: report from an American Society of Nephrology Advances in Research ConferenceH William Schnaper
Department of Pediatrics, Northwestern University Medical School, Illinois, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 17:1777-81. 2006A recent American Society of Nephrology Conference, entitled "Why Kidneys Fail: Translating Basic Mechanisms of Disease Pathogenesis into Novel Therapies," explored basic mechanisms and their potential translational implications...
- Propensity score methods and their application in nephrology researchLianne Barnieh
Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta Canada
J Nephrol 24:256-62. 2011..Propensity score methods are often used in observational studies in nephrology, thus understanding their appropriate implementation, strengths and limitations is important.
- Withholding and withdrawing dialysis in the intensive care unit: benefits derived from consulting the renal physicians association/american society of nephrology clinical practice guideline, shared decision-making in the appropriate initiation of and withSamir S Patel
Division of Renal Diseases and Hypertension, George Washington University, 2150 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Suite 1 200, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 3:587-93. 2008....
- Burnout in nephrology nurses in IsraelTami Chayu
Dialysis Unit, Beilinson Hospital, Rabin Medical Center, Petach Tickva, Israel
Nephrol Nurs J 38:65-77; quiz 78. 2011The purpose of this study was to examine burnout in nephrology nurses working in Israel and explore its correlates in demographic characteristics, job aspects, and extra-professional activities...
- Care of undocumented individuals with ESRD: a national survey of US nephrologistsLaura Hurley
Division of General Internal Medicine, Denver Health, Denver, CO 80204, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 53:940-9. 2009..Although Medicare covers most dialysis therapy for US citizens with end-stage renal disease (ESRD), no national standards for dialysis provision exist for undocumented (ie, immigrant) patients with ESRD...
- Geriatric nephrology: responding to a growing challengeMitchell Rosner
Division of Nephrology, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 5:936-42. 2010..patients constitute a group with special needs and present unique challenges to the nephrologist, traditional nephrology fellowship training has not included a focus on the geriatric population...
- A novel technique to optimize facility locations of new nephrology services for remote areasBharati Ayyalasomayajula
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 6:2157-64. 2011..Using the example of patients with kidney disease and nephrology services, we investigated the feasibility and utility of using geographic information system (GIS) techniques to ..
- [Status of board-certified nephrologists of the Japanese Society of Nephrology among 47 prefectures]Toshiyuki Imasawa
Division of Nephrology, National Hospital Organization Chiba East Hospital, Chiba, Japan
Nihon Jinzo Gakkai Shi 52:1015-21. 2010To improve chronic kidney disease (CKD) outcomes, board-certified nephrologists of the Japanese Society of Nephrology (certified nephrologists) are anticipated to play an important role in community medicine and establish an effective ..
- Onco-nephrology: AKI in the cancer patientAlbert Q Lam
Renal Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 7:1692-700. 2012..Here, we summarize recent data on epidemiology of AKI in cancer patients, describe the most common AKI syndromes in this population, and highlight emerging areas in the growing field of onconephrology...
- Impact of estimated glomerular filtration rate reporting on nephrology referrals: a review of the literatureArsh Jain
Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 20:218-23. 2011..The purpose of this review is to summarize the recent literature evaluating the association between eGFR reporting and outcomes, specifically assessing its impact on nephrology referrals and characteristics of the referred population.
- Impact of Nephrology publications from Saudi Arabia in the last decadeAbdulla A Al-Khader
Department of Nephrology, Armed Forces Hospital, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saudi Med J 23:1177-80. 2002To study the present situation with regards to the research output in Nephrology from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) in terms of numbers, type, institution and fields covered.
- Cardiorenal risk as a new frontier of nephrology: research needs and areas for interventionCarmine Zoccali
Division of Nephrology, Hypertension and Renal Transplantation, CNR Centro di Fisiologia Clinica, Reggio Calabria, Italy
Nephrol Dial Transplant 17:50-4. 2002..Observational studies aimed at linking these risk factors to well-defined and measured renal and cardiovascular outcomes should increase knowledge of renal disease progression and cardiovascular risk in these populations...
- Feasibility of providing nephrology services to remote communities with videoconferencingManon Campbell
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, ON K1H 7W9, Canada
J Telemed Telecare 18:13-6. 2012..The analysis of staff hours worked showed almost no increase following the introduction of telemedicine. Telemedicine is therefore feasible for follow-up care of remote chronic kidney disease patients...
- Predialysis nephrology care among older veterans using Department of Veterans Affairs or Medicare-covered servicesMichael J Fischer
Center for Management of Complex Chronic Care, Edward Hines, Jr VA Medical Center, 5000 S 5th Ave 151H, Hines, IL 60141, USA
Am J Manag Care 16:e57-66. 2010To examine the effect of exclusive and dual use of Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and Medicare healthcare systems on outpatient predialysis nephrology care.
- Decision making concerning life-sustaining treatment in paediatric nephrology: professionals' experiences and valuesIsabelle Fauriel
laboratoire d éthique médicale et de médecine légale, Faculté de médecine de Paris 5, 45 Rue des Saints Peres, 75006 Paris, France
Nephrol Dial Transplant 20:2746-50. 2005..or withdraw life-sustaining treatment (LST) taken between 1995 and 2001 in 31 French-speaking paediatric nephrology centres. Files were available for 18 of the 31 centres...
- Epigenetics--a helpful tool to better understand processes in clinical nephrology?Peter Stenvinkel
Nephrol Dial Transplant 23:1493-6. 2008
- Onco-nephrology: the pathophysiology and treatment of malignancy-associated hypercalcemiaMitchell H Rosner
Division of Nephrology, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 7:1722-9. 2012..In patients presenting with severe AKI, hemodialysis with a low-calcium bath can be effective. In most cases, therapy normalizes calcium levels and allows for palliation or curative therapy of the malignancy...
- Predialysis nephrologist care and access to kidney transplantation in the United StatesW C Winkelmayer
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics and the Renal Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Transplant 7:872-9. 2007..We used multivariate Cox proportional hazards models to study associations between predialysis nephrology care and two outcomes: time from first dialysis to the first day on the KT wait-list, and time to first KT...
- Survey of determinants and effects of timing of referral to a nephrologist: the patient's point of viewAnteo Di Napoli
Lazio Dialysis Registry, Agency for Public Health of Lazio Region, Rome, Italy
J Nephrol 23:603-13. 2010....
- Nephrologists' perspectives on waitlisting and allocation of deceased donor kidneys for transplantAllison Tong
Centre for Kidney Research, The Children s Hospital at Westmead, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Am J Kidney Dis 58:704-16. 2011..This study aims to elicit nephrologists' perspectives on waitlisting patients for kidney transplant and the allocation of deceased kidneys...
- Factors influencing general practitioner referral of patients developing end-stage renal failure: a standardised case-analysis studyAnthony J Montgomery
Department of Psychology, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland Medical University of Bahrain, PO Box 15503, Manama, Bahrain
BMC Health Serv Res 6:114. 2006..To understand why treatment referral rates for ESRF are lower in Ireland than in other European countries, an investigation of factors influencing general practitioner referral of patients developing ESRF was conducted...
- Can spot urine protein/creatinine ratio replace 24 h urine protein in usual clinical nephrology?Cathie Lane
Department of Medicine, St George Clinical School, University of New South Wales, Australia
Nephrology (Carlton) 11:245-9. 2006..This prospective study was designed to assess whether a single urine specimen, collected at the time of clinical assessment, could be used to estimate 24 h urinary protein excretion...
- Arabic medicine and nephrologyG Eknoyan
Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston 77030
Am J Nephrol 14:270-8. 1994..Anatomic illustrations began to appear in Arabic texts, though they did not have the detail and artistic merit of those of Vesalius...
- Is atherosclerosis accelerated in young patients with end-stage renal disease? The contribution of paediatric nephrologyUwe Querfeld
Department of Paediatric Nephrology, Charite Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Nephrol Dial Transplant 17:719-22. 2002
- Nephrology referral and appropriateness of therapeutic drug care in chronic kidney diseaseNathalie Thilly
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Evaluation, University Hospital of Nancy, Nancy, France
J Nephrol 19:303-11. 2006..Rates of morbidity and mortality remain high among patients with chronic kidney disease, but depend to some extent on modifiable factors such as the therapeutic drug care provided...
- Impact of reporting estimated glomerular filtration rate: it's not just about usLesley A Stevens
Tufts Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Kidney Int 76:245-7. 2009..In our view, a complete assessment requires a broader perspective. Most patients with CKD do not require referral to a nephrologist. Improving outcomes requires coordinated efforts of all physicians...
- Disaster nephrology: medical perspectiveAlireza Atef-Zafarmand
Department of Internal Medicine, Wayne State University, 1359 Somerset, Grosse Point Park, MI 48230, USA
Adv Ren Replace Ther 10:104-16. 2003....
- Management and control of hypertension and proteinuria in patients with advanced chronic kidney disease under nephrologist care or not: data from the AVENIR study (AVantagE de la Nephroprotection dans l'Insuffisance Renale)Nathalie Thilly
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Evaluation, CEC CIE6 Inserm, EA 4003, Nancy University, Nancy, France
Nephrol Dial Transplant 24:934-9. 2009..Data from a large observational study (AVENIR), carried out in Lorraine (France), were used to analyse antihypertensive treatment and control of BP and proteinuria in patients with advanced CKD, under nephrologist care or not...
- Phosphorylation of FGF23 coordinates crosstalk between the skeleton and kidneyVINCENT SCOTT TAGLIABRACCI; Fiscal Year: 2013..The hypothesis addresses a significant question that should yield influential findings in endocrinology, nephrology cardiology and basic biomedical research...
- The Relationship Between STK39, Salt Sensitivity, and HCTZ-induced BP ResponseYEN PEI CHRISTY CHANG; Fiscal Year: 2010..work will be performed by a team of young investigators with expertise in genetics, ion-transporter physiology, nephrology, pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics, and statistical analysis...
- Role of Peroxidasin in Glomerular Matrix HomeostasisGautam Bhave; Fiscal Year: 2013..The proposed studies will be conducted at the Vanderbilt University Medical Center within the Division of Nephrology. The division has 14 NIH funded laboratories with over 13 million dollars in annual NIH funding and is one of ..
- Effect of Ultrafiltration on Clinical Outcomes and Health-related Quality of LifeKELLY VICTORIA LIANG; Fiscal Year: 2013..Her training in clinical nephrology, including the care of many patients with cardiorenal failure, and her previous clinical research experiences ..
- Prevalence and Impact of Frailty among Dialysis PatientsKirsten L Johansen; Fiscal Year: 2013..Johansen recently completed, as well as a Nephrology T32 that supports nephrology trainees in the pursuit of POR. This award would allow Dr...
- Vitamin D and Arterial Function in Patients with Chronic Kidney DiseaseJessica B Kendrick; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Dr. Kendrick is currently the chief Nephrology fellow at the University of Colorado at Denver Health Sciences Center whose main area of interest is in vitamin D dysregulation and its relationship with ..
- Mediators &prognostic value of muscle mass &function in chronic kidney diseaseFrancis Perry Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Wilson is currently a post-doctoral researcher with Internal Medicine and Nephrology board certification. He was awarded a Master of Science of Clinical Epidemiology (MSCE) degree in August of 2012...
- A Functional Role for the Circadian Clock Protein Per1 in the Regulation of ??ENaMichelle L Gumz; Fiscal Year: 2013..Drs. Charles Wingo, Mark Segal, Julie Johnson, Barbara Battelle and Douglas Eaton are experts in the fields of nephrology, physiology, pharmacology, and neuroscience...
- Quality Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study (DOPPS): high-quality careFrancesca Tentori; Fiscal Year: 2013..journals, 11 invited publications and presentations at professional meetings, including the American Society of Nephrology. Career goals: My long-term professional goal is to become an independently funded investigator and to make ..
- Protein Handling By Renal Proximal Tubule Epithelial CellsNicholas Ferrell; Fiscal Year: 2013..and research training needed to transition into a role as a productive independent researcher in the field of nephrology. An experienced team of researchers and mentors has been assembled to provide the necessary guidance, monitoring,..
- Health Information Technology for Chronic Kidney Disease ManagementLipika Samal; Fiscal Year: 2013..Joseph Bonventre, Chief of the Renal Division at BWH and past President of the American Society of Nephrology, as well as Dr. Thomas Sequist, a primary care physician and CKD researcher, biostatistician Dr...
- Pharmacogenomics of Tacrolimus and New Onset Diabetes After Kidney TransplantKelly A Birdwell; Fiscal Year: 2013..in patient-oriented research (Master of Science in Clinical Investigation, MSCI) and formal clinical training in nephrology and kidney transplant...
- Vitamin D Deficiency in Glomerular DiseaseMichelle Denburg; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The candidate is a junior investigator in pediatric nephrology with advanced training in clinical epidemiology...
- Phenotypes of diabetic kidney disease and the relationship to retinal pathologyAmy Mottl; Fiscal Year: 2013..I was formally trained in nephrology and hypertension at the University of North Carolina (UNC) and hold a master's degree in epidemiology...
- Analysis of distal conboluted tubule function in vivoJames A McCormick; Fiscal Year: 2012..A didactic program in nephrology and in the responsible conduct of research will complement the research program to assist the candidate in ..
- Urine biomarkers of lupus nephritis pathology and response to therapyJames C Oates; Fiscal Year: 2013..clinicians and investigators with 1) a non-invasive, reliable tool for diagnosis of International Society of Nephrology/Renal Pathology Society (ISN/RPS) class (Class) in LN, 2) a short-term marker of long-term response to therapy, ..
- Residual Kidney Function in ESRD: Measurements, Serum Markers and OutcomesTariq Shafi; Fiscal Year: 2013..The candidate for this mentored Career Development Award is an Instructor of Medicine in the Division of Nephrology at Johns Hopkins University and his career goal is to become an independent clinician-investigator in the area ..
- Individualized Treatment Strategies and Optimal Hematocrit Target for Complex DiaDENNIS JOSEPH COTTER; Fiscal Year: 2010..Currently, there appears to be uncertainty in the nephrology community as to the optimal target hematocrit and epoetin dosing protocols for various patient groups...
- Developing, Validating, and Implementing a CKD Predictive Model (DELVECKD)KHALED A ABDEL-KADER; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Dr. Khaled Abdel-Kader has completed prior training in nephrology and a master's in medical education with formal training in adult learning, medical errors, and cognitive theory as well as ..
- Biomolecular Markers of Renal Allograft StatusThangamani Muthukumar; Fiscal Year: 2013..well trained clinician, joined the mentor's laboratory as a research fellow of the International Society of Nephrology. He has identified to date that mRNA for serine proteinase-9, an endogenous antagonist of cytotoxic granzyme, is ..
- Sun protection Internet-based program for kidney transplant recipientsJune K Robinson; Fiscal Year: 2013..modules by cognitive interviews and utility testing with KTRs and for face value and feasibility of use with the nephrology staff...
- Towards Measures of Lupus Nephritis Activity &Damage for ChildrenHermine I Brunner; Fiscal Year: 2012..e. lupus nephritis (LN). The International Societies for Nephrology &Renal Pathology (ISN/RPS) Classification of LN was developed to improve predictive validity of kidney ..
- Pediatric Nephrology Seminar XXXIXGASTON E ZILLERUELO; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Pediatric Nephrology Seminar XXXIX is an international forum for pediatric and adult nephrologists, pediatricians, internists, general practitioners, renal pathologists, neonatologists, pediatric ..
- Benaroya Research Institute/UCDHSC Autoimmune Cooperative Study GroupGeorge S Eisenbarth; Fiscal Year: 2011..Departments of Pediatrics and Medicine, subspecialties include endocrinology, rheumatology, clinical immunology, nephrology, and pulmonary...
- Dialysis Infection and Vitamin D in New England: The DIVINE StudyRavi Thadhani; Fiscal Year: 2012..This study, addressing a significant unmet need in nephrology, involves important clinical and translational aims that will advance the care of patients with ESRD...
- Investigations of the optimum serum bicarbonate level in renal diseaseKALANI LUKELA RAPHAEL; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): I am an Assistant Professor in the Division of Nephrology at the Salt Lake City VA and affiliated University of Utah. My research background until 2009 was in the basic sciences...
- Training Program in Hypertension, Kidney Disease &Cell BiologyChristie P Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2013..Trainees will be attracted from programs in urology, pediatric nephrology, nephrology, and the basic sciences...
- Leica TCS SP5 Multiphoton Confocal MicroscopeHeather A Drummond; Fiscal Year: 2012..of several departments including Physiology and Biophysics, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Anatomy, Nephrology, Pediatrics and members of the Dental School use the facility...
- Exploring the interrelationships of mineral metabolism pathways in kidney diseaseJason Stubbs; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): In the early stages of my fellowship training in nephrology, I began working with Dr...
- RENAL DISEASEMARC RANDALL HAMMERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Twenty-five individuals who trained in Nephrology at WU have gone on to head Renal Divisions in the United States and abroad...
- Ergocalciferol in ESRD Efficacy Safety and BiologyRavi Thadhani; Fiscal Year: 2010..This pilot trial addressing a significant unmet need in nephrology will involve basic, translational, and clinical investigators experienced in vitamin D research, infection and ..
- Role of Par1 Polarity Proteins in Podocyte Development and Glomerular DiseaseKIMBERLY JEAN REIDY; Fiscal Year: 2013..The PI has completed an NIH-supported, structured fellowship training program in Pediatric and Developmental Nephrology and will now expand upon her scientific skills through a unique integration of interdepartmental resources...
- 2010 Gordon Research Conference on Endothelial Cell Phenotypes in Health and DiseEdward Conway; Fiscal Year: 2010..and stem cell biology, hematology, innate immunity, infectious diseases, oncology, endocrinology, obstetrics, nephrology, neurology, ophthalmology, gastroenterology, developmental biology, and tissue engineering...
- Renal and Cardiovascular Events in Patients with Chronic Kidney DiseaseAkinlolu O Ojo; Fiscal Year: 2013..research portfolio in areas of chronic kidney disease and kidney transplantation;and (b) to mentor nephrology trainees in patient-oriented research (POR)...
- Ambulatory Case and Preventable Hospitalizations in Diabetic Kidney DiseaseChin Lin Tseng; Fiscal Year: 2013..2) Study utilization of subspecialty (nephrology, endocrinology, and cardiology) and primary care;evaluate factors associated with use and consistency of ..
- Racial Differences in Phosphorus Metabolism in Health and in Kidney DiseaseORLANDO M GUTIERREZ; Fiscal Year: 2012..He is currently a clinical and research fellow in nephrology at MGH, and a candidate for a Master's degree in human physiological investigation from Harvard Medical ..
- Musculoskeletal Disorder in Dialysis PatientsSharon M Moe; Fiscal Year: 2010..K23, and one with an ADA career development award), 1 internal medicine housestaff (now a Nephrologist), and 8 Nephrology trainees (3/6 have completed their training and remain in academics). During the present K24 award, Dr...
- RENAL RESEARCH TRAINING PROGRAMLawrence B Holzman; Fiscal Year: 2013..entering our research laboratories will usually have completed a medical residency and one year of clinical nephrology. Selection for appointment is based on the aptitude of the applicant and their commitment to a career in ..
- Characterization of AQP2 interacting proteins and novel functions of AQP2HUA A LU; Fiscal Year: 2010This applicant has proposed a program of research to prepare her for a career in academic nephrology and basic science research in the field of renal physiology/pathophysiology, specifically, AQP2 trafficking...
- Nephrology and Hypertension Training GrantChristopher S Wilcox; Fiscal Year: 2011..provided by applicant): This is a proposal for a research training program for post-doctoral trainees in Nephrology and Hypertension...
- Skeletal muscle dysfunction in persons with chronic kidney diseaseBaback Roshanravan; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): This is an application for a K23 award for Dr. Baback Roshanravan, senior nephrology clinical research fellow at the University of Washington. Dr...
- Short-Term Research Training: Students in Health Professional SchoolsJohn N Forrest; Fiscal Year: 2013..immunobiology, internal medicine (cardiology, digestive diseases, endocrinology, hematology, infectious disease, nephrology, pulmonary, rheumatology), laboratory medicine, molecular biophysics and biochemistry, molecular, cellular &..
- Role of NG2 in diabetic nephropathyVesselina G Cooke; Fiscal Year: 2010..Prevention of chronic renal failure is one of the most important challenges in medicine for nephrologists and nephrology researchers, Diabetic nephropathy is characterized by changes in the structure of glomerular basement membranes, ..
- Kidney Disease and InflammationMARK DOUGLAS OKUSA; Fiscal Year: 2013..The goals of the program is to identify promising candidates and train them for careers in academic nephrology. Toward this end we have identified and recruited outstanding clinician and basic science investigators with a ..
- Training Program in Systemic AutoimmunityGeorge C Tsokos; Fiscal Year: 2012..will enter the program through one of the following tracks: Physicians who seek training in rheumatology or nephrology, physicians who enter other clinical fellowship programs including neurology and dermatology, physicians who ..
- Training Grant in Renal Function and DiseasePhillip Darwin Bell; Fiscal Year: 2013..a group of diverse yet highly compatible investigators in three closely aligned Divisions of Internal Medicine (Nephrology, Rheumatology, and Endocrinology), augmented by inclusion of selected senior faculty from other clinical and ..
- Reasons for the Excess Mortality and Functional Decline in Older Adults with CKDCHRISTOPHER BARRETT BOWLING; Fiscal Year: 2013..This approach bridges nephrology and aging research using rich and complementary existing data from the REGARDS study and the UAB Study of Aging...
- Identifying urinary biomarkers for early type 2 diabetic nephropathyMaryam Afkarian; Fiscal Year: 2013..She is currently a Nephrology Research Fellow at the joint program of Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham and Women's Hospital...
- CKD awareness and self-management: Interventions for Safety-Net PatientsDelphine Tuot; Fiscal Year: 2013..Chi-yuan Hsu, Professor, Chief of Nephrology at UCSF and expert in CKD outcomes research. Her larger mentoring team also includes Dr...
- 11th International Conference on Developmental NephrologyJordan A Kreidberg; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): PROJECT SUMMARY The International Developmental Nephrology Workshop was initiated in 1980 as a small meeting forum for investigators to exchange ideas and critically evaluate recent work focused on ..
- Dissecting the Mechanisms that control FGF23Marta Christov; Fiscal Year: 2013..The PI, a junior faculty in nephrology at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, and a research faculty at the Endocrine Unit at the Massachusetts ..
- Glucocorticoid Receptor Function in Steroid Resistant Childhood Nephrotic SyndromJORGE A INIGUEZ LLUHI; Fiscal Year: 2010..to clinical samples and patient histories through a collaborative arrangement with both the Midwest Pediatric Nephrology Consortium and the ongoing NIH-sponsored FSGS clinical trial, we propose to analyze the mechanistic link between ..
- The Role of Oxidative Stress in Systemic AmyloidosisSteven R Zeldenrust; Fiscal Year: 2010..The sponsor of this project, Dr. Karl Nath, is a member of the Division of Nephrology at the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and a recognized leader in the field of oxidative injury. Dr...
- The comparative effectiveness of kidney transplantation in advanced CKDMORGAN ERIKA GRAMS; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Morgan E. Grams, MD, MHS, is an Assistant Professor in the Division of Nephrology at Johns Hopkins University...
- NYU/UG Cardiovascular Research Training Institute ProgramGBENGA GODWIN OGEDEGBE; Fiscal Year: 2013..motivated physicians who are about to embark on their postgraduate studies in internal medicine, cardiology, nephrology, neurology or endocrinology...
- Training Grant in Academic NephrologyJOSEPH VINCENT BONVENTRE; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The Brigham and Women's Hospital Nephrology training program, which has been funded for 27 consecutive years, seeks to continue to provide scientifically rigorous, multidisciplinary research ..
- Towards the Physiologic Function of MiRP-3Daniel I Levy; Fiscal Year: 2010..Univ. Pennsylvania) and subspecialty training in Nephrology (Yale). He is now an Instructor in the Nephrology section at the University of Chicago...
- Reduction of kidney progressive fibrosis by A2A adenosine receptor activation: PGabriela E Garcia; Fiscal Year: 2013..provided by applicant): Progression of most nephropathies to end-stage renal disease remains a major problem in nephrology. Thus, delaying the progression of kidney diseases or arresting its course is an essential management goal...
- Cardiovascular Disease in Children with Chronic Kidney DiseaseMark M Mitsnefes; Fiscal Year: 2013..the candidate's own research and 2) mentor junior faculty and fellows who are pursuing POR in pediatric nephrology. The first aim will be based and build upon candidate's previous research and will examine early biological ..
- GDNF and Ret are critical for glomerular development, maintenance, and protectionCYNTHIA TSUI; Fiscal Year: 2013..Lawrence Holzman, and the collective breadth and depth of knowledge and expertise in podocyte biology from the Nephrology Division at University of Michigan...
- The Role of p120 Catenin in Metanephric Kidney DevelopmentDENISE K MARCIANO; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): As a physician-scientist in the field of nephrology, I have a strong interest in development and disease in the kidney...
- Multidisciplinary Cardiovascular Research TrainingDavid J Pinsky; Fiscal Year: 2013..Departments of Internal Medicine, (Divisions of Cardiovascular Disease, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Nephrology, Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes, General Medicine, and Molecular Medicine) Pathology, Pharmacology, ..
- PEDIATRIC NEPHROLOGY TRAINING GRANTHarry Koo; Fiscal Year: 2003This proposal requests funding for a single training position in Pediatric Nephrology at Virginia Commonwealth University's Medical College of Virginia (VCU/MCV)...
- P-glycoprotein Function in Allograft RejectionMarkus Frank; Fiscal Year: 2004..As part of his nephrology fellowship at the Brigham and Women's Hospital and The Children's Hospital in Boston, the applicant completed 3 ..
- 2012 ASN Update on Patient Centered Outcomes Research in Kidney DiseaseWOLFGANG CHRISTOPH WINKELMAYER; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The annual meeting of the American Society of Nephrology (ASN), "Kidney Week," is the largest gathering in the world of clinical, translational and basic science investigators working in the field of ..
- Professional Development SeminarROCHELLE M CUNNINGHAM; Fiscal Year: 2010..travel grants for attendees to attend the annual Professional Development Seminar (PDS) organized by Women in Nephrology (WIN)...
- 2011 ASN Improving Design and Conduct of Pragmatic Trials and Clinical Studies inKamyar Kalantar-Zadeh; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The annual meeting of the American Society of Nephrology (ASN), also known as the "Kidney Week", is the largest gathering in the world of clinical and translational investigators and basic scientists ..
- Regulation of Human Amino Acid Transport System A GeneOhnn Nahm; Fiscal Year: 2003DESCRIPTION (provided by candidate) Dr. Ohnn Nahm is a nephrology fellow at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and will be appointed as a junior faculty member in July 2002 after completing the clinical part of his nephrology fellowship ..
- Comparison of Cyclosporine A and Mycophenolate in FSGSRonald Hogg; Fiscal Year: 2005..The purpose of the application is to apply for the Central Office of the Southwest Pediatric Nephrology Group (SPNSG) to be chosen as one of the four Regional Centers in the nationwide randomized clinical trial (RCT) ..
- Clinical Translational Research in Transplant NephrologyBryan Becker; Fiscal Year: 2006..This problem is felt even more acutely in Nephrology, even as the clinical demand for Nephrologists is increasing to accomodate the workload of kidney disease in the ..
- Prevent/Kidney Disease/Minority Groups/Emerging NationsKeith Norris; Fiscal Year: 2003..of Medicine and Science (Drew) proposes to co-sponsor a satellite conference to the annual American Society of Nephrology (ASN) "Renal Week" meetings for the next five years...
- Inner-City NephrologyOnyekachi Ifudu; Fiscal Year: 2002..Downstate Medical Center at Brooklyn proposes to sponsor a series of one-day conferences entitled "Inner-City Nephrology". The tentative date for the first in a series of five annual conferences is May 3rd, 2002...
- ASSESSING PATIENT OUTCOMES IN PEDIATRIC ESRDSusan Furth; Fiscal Year: 2003Dr. Furth, who trained in Pediatrics and Pediatric Nephrology at Johns Hopkins, is seeking this mentored award to study clinical outcomes associated with treatment choices for pediatric end stage renal disease (ESRD), complete a PhD in ..
- Identification of novel genes regulating metalloproteinase activityAndreas Herrlich; Fiscal Year: 2009I am a German MD/Ph.D. clinician-scientist with extensive training in Internal Medicine and Nephrology at Johns Hopkins and Harvard. My research focuses on the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) signaling pathway...
- Targeting Nephrology Referral Among Elderly Patients with Chronic Kidney DiseaseANN O HARE; Fiscal Year: 2009..Because of poor outcomes associated with CKD and low pre-dialysis nephrology referral rates in elderly patients beginning dialysis, there is growing support for interventions to increase ..
- Professional Development Seminar : Early and Mid-Career ComponentsRochelle Cunningham; Fiscal Year: 2009..grants for junior attendees to attend the annual Professional Development Seminar (PDS) organized by Women in Nephrology (WIN)...
- 9th International Workshop on Developmental NephrologyLisa Satlin; Fiscal Year: 2004This application is a request for partial support for the 9th International Workshop on Developmental Nephrology, to be held in the Barossa Valley, South Australia (August 25-27, 2004)...
- MONOCYTE DERIVED DENDRITIC CELLS IN TRANSPLANTATIONMark Denton; Fiscal Year: 2006..The applicant is a nephrologist with an interest in transplant immunology. As part of his nephrology fellowship at Brigham and Women's Hospital, the applicant completed three years of laboratory based ..