Summary: A specialty concerned with the study of anesthetics and anesthesia.
Publications271 found, 100 shown here
- Nitrate-nitrite-nitric oxide pathway: implications for anesthesiology and intensive careEddie Weitzberg
Section of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Anesthesiology 113:1460-75. 2010The gaseous radical nitric oxide is involved in numerous physiologic and pathophysiological events important in anesthesiology and intensive care...
- Success in physician prehospital rapid sequence intubation: what is the effect of base speciality and length of anaesthetic training?Tim Harris
London HEMS and Department of Emergency Medicine, Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel, London E11BB, UK
Emerg Med J 28:225-9. 2011..The quality of laryngeal view was significantly better in doctors with an anaesthetics background...
- Anaesthetists' Non-Technical Skills (ANTS): evaluation of a behavioural marker systemG Fletcher
Department of Psychology, University of Aberdeen, King s College, UK
Br J Anaesth 90:580-8. 2003..A prototype behavioural marker system was developed using human factors research techniques. The aim of this study was to conduct an experimental evaluation to establish its basic psychometric properties and usability...
- Value of debriefing during simulated crisis management: oral versus video-assisted oral feedbackGeorges L Savoldelli
St Michael s Anesthesia Research into Teaching Simulation Group, Department of Anesthesia, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Anesthesiology 105:279-85. 2006....
- Acute care skills in anesthesia practice: a simulation-based resident performance assessmentDavid J Murray
Washington University Clinical Simulation Center, Department of Anesthesiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Anesthesiology 101:1084-95. 2004..The purpose of this study was to develop simulation exercises and associated scoring methods and determine whether these scenarios could be used to evaluate acute anesthesia care skills...
- Assessment of procedural skills in anaesthesiaM D Bould
The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, 555 University Avenue, Canada
Br J Anaesth 103:472-83. 2009....
- Acquisition of critical intraoperative event management skills in novice anesthesiology residents by using high-fidelity simulation-based trainingChristine S Park
Department of Anesthesiology, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Anesthesiology 112:202-11. 2010Early acquisition of critical competencies by novice anesthesiology residents is essential for patient safety, but traditional training methods may be insufficient...
- The prevalence of burnout and depression and their association with adherence to safety and practice standards: a survey of United States anesthesiology traineesGildasio S de Oliveira
Department of Anesthesiology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, 251 E Huron St, F5 704, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Anesth Analg 117:182-93. 2013The prevalence of burnout and depression in anesthesiology residents has not been determined. It is also unknown whether anesthesiology resident burnout/depression may affect patient care and safety...
- Use of tablet (iPad®) as a tool for teaching anesthesiology in an orthopedic rotationPedro Paulo Tanaka
Department of Anesthesia, Stanford University School of Medicine, 300 Pasteur Drive, Stanford, CA, USA
Rev Bras Anestesiol 62:214-22. 2012....
- Pre-hospital intubation by anaesthesiologists in patients with severe trauma: an audit of a Norwegian helicopter emergency medical serviceStephen J M Sollid
Department of Research and Development, Norwegian Air Ambulance Foundation, Drøbak, Norway
Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med 18:30. 2010....
- Simulation technology for health care professional skills training and assessmentS B Issenberg
Center for Research in Medical Education, University of Miami School of Medicine, FL 33101, USA
JAMA 282:861-6. 1999..These systems help to address the problem of poor skills training and proficiency and may provide a method for physicians to become self-directed lifelong learners...
- Looking in the mirror: self-debriefing versus instructor debriefing for simulated crisesSylvain Boet
Department of Anesthesiology, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Crit Care Med 39:1377-81. 2011To examine the effectiveness of self-debriefing as compared to instructor debriefing in the change of nontechnical skills performance of anesthesiology residents.
- Brief report: Focused transthoracic echocardiography training in a cohort of Canadian anesthesiology residents: a pilot studyRob C Tanzola
Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, Kingston General Hospital, ON, Canada
Can J Anaesth 60:32-7. 2013..study were to determine 1) whether it is feasible to implement a focused bedside TTE curriculum within core anesthesiology training, 2) whether changes could be detected and quantified following the program of study, and 3) whether ..
- Learning manual skills in anesthesiology: Is there a recommended number of cases for anesthetic procedures?C Konrad
Institute of Anesthesiology, Kantonsspital, Lucerne, Switzerland
Anesth Analg 86:635-9. 1998..05), and brachial plexus block (P < 0.05), as well as between spinal anesthesia and orotracheal intubation (P < 0.05). Learning curves are a valid tool for monitoring institutional and individual success...
- Implementing a pre-operative checklist to increase patient safety: a 1-year follow-up of personnel attitudesL Nilsson
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, University Hospital, Linkoping, Sweden
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 54:176-82. 2010..We assessed personnel attitudes to a pre-operative checklist ('time out') immediately before start of the operative procedure...
- Discrepancies in medication entries between anesthetic and pharmacy records using electronic databasesMichael M Vigoda
Center for Informatics and Perioperative Management, Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative Medicine and Pain Management, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Anesth Analg 105:1061-5, table of contents. 2007..Linking anesthesia information management systems (AIMS) with medication dispensing systems may facilitate automated reconciliation of medication discrepancies...
- Role of anesthesiology curriculum in improving bag-mask ventilation and intubation success rates of emergency medicine residents: a prospective descriptive studyHassan Soleimanpour
Emergency Medicine Department, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Daneshgah Street, Tabriz 51664, Iran
BMC Emerg Med 11:8. 2011..The purpose of our study was to determine success rates of bag-mask ventilation and tracheal intubation performed by emergency medicine residents before and after completing their anesthesiology curriculum.
- Simulation performance checklist generation using the Delphi techniquePamela J Morgan
Department of Anesthesia, Women s College Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can J Anaesth 54:992-7. 2007..The purpose of this study was to develop checklists using a modified Delphi technique to evaluate the performance of practicing anesthesiologists managing two simulated scenarios...
- Declining proportion of publications by American authors in major anesthesiology journalsJoseph W Szokol
Department of Anesthesiology, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare and Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Anesth Analg 96:513-7, table of contents. 2003..The journals Pain, Anesthesiology, and Anesthesia & Analgesia were selected for evaluation on the basis of their respective impact factors...
- Rapid response car as a supplement to the helicopter in a physician-based HEMS systemA R Nakstad
Prehospital Division Air ambulance, Ulleval University Hospital, Lørenskog, Norway
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 48:588-91. 2004..The purpose of this study was to describe the use of a rapid response car (RRC) as a supplement to the ambulance helicopter in a mixed urban/rural region in Norway...
- Educational impact of in-training assessment (ITA) in postgraduate medical education: a qualitative study of an ITA programme in actual practiceC Ringsted
Copenhagen Hospital Corporation, Postgraduate Medical Institute, Bispebjerg Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Med Educ 38:767-77. 2004..How does the programme work in practice and what are the benefits and barriers? What are the users' experiences and thoughts about its effect on training, teaching and learning? What are their attitudes towards this concept of assessment?..
- Simulation-based assessment in anesthesiology: requirements for practical implementationJohn R Boulet
Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Anesthesiology 112:1041-52. 2010..The introduction of simulation-based assessments in anesthesiology, especially those used to establish various competencies, has demanded fairly rigorous studies concerning the ..
- Hemodynamic monitoring and management in patients undergoing high risk surgery: a survey among North American and European anesthesiologistsMaxime Cannesson
Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Care, School of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, 101 S City Drive, Orange, CA 92868, USA
Crit Care 15:R197. 2011....
- Prehospital rapid sequence induction by emergency physicians: is it safe?C A Mackay
Helicopter Emergency Medical Service, Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel
Emerg Med J 18:20-4. 2001..To determine if there were differences in practice or intubation mishap rate between anaesthetists and accident and emergency physicians performing rapid sequence induction of anaesthesia (RSI) in the prehospital setting...
- Anesthesiology residents' medical school debt influence on moonlighting activities, work environment choice, and debt repayment programs: a nationwide surveyJeffrey W Steiner
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Management, UT Southwestern Medical Center and Children s Medical Center Dallas, 1935 Medical District Dr, Dallas, TX 75235, USA
Anesth Analg 115:170-5. 2012..dramatic increase in education debt, there has been limited information on how medical school debt loads of anesthesiology physicians impact their decisions concerning moonlighting and future career choices...
- Decision-making and safety in anesthesiologyMarjorie P Stiegler
Department of Anesthesiology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, N2198 UNC Hospitals, North Carolina, USA
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 25:724-9. 2012..Cognitive errors, or errors in thought processes, are mistakes that a clinician makes despite 'knowing better'. Several new studies provide a better understanding of how to manage risk while making better decisions...
- Errors and omissions in anesthesia: a pilot study using a pilot's checklistElaine M Hart
Flinders Clinical Skills and Simulation Unit, Flinders University Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Flinders Medical Centre, Bedford Park, SA 5042, Australia
Anesth Analg 101:246-50, table of contents. 2005..Important checks may be forgotten when preparing to give a general anesthetic for Cesarean delivery, and the use of a checklist could improve patient safety...
- [Burnout in anesthesiology and intensive care : is there a problem in Germany?]W Heinke
Klinik und Poliklinik für Anästhesiologie und Intensivtherapie, Universitat Leipzig, Deutschland
Anaesthesist 60:1109-18. 2011..Therefore, this study examined whether the risk for anesthetists in Germany suffering from burnout really is greater than in other occupations. In addition, factors influencing the burnout risks of anesthetists were analyzed...
- Assessment of competence in anesthesiologyJohn E Tetzlaff
Center for Anesthesiology Education, Anesthesiology Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 22:809-13. 2009This review is designed to evaluate various aspects of the teaching, demonstration and assessment of competence in anesthesiology.
- Substance abuse among physicians: a survey of academic anesthesiology programsJohn V Booth
Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Anesth Analg 95:1024-30, table of contents. 2002..We focused our survey on anesthesiology programs at American academic medical centers...
- A physician workforce planning model applied to Canadian anesthesiology: planning the future supply of anesthesiologistsDouglas Craig
Department of Anesthesia, University of Manitoba, Canada
Can J Anaesth 49:671-7. 2002..To examine the supply of physician anesthesia providers necessary to accommodate the previously described clinical and non-clinical service volume needs throughout Canada...
- Adoption of anesthesia information management systems by US anesthesiologistsTerrence L Trentman
Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Clinic Arizona, 5777 E Mayo Blvd, Phoenix, AZ 85054, USA
J Clin Monit Comput 25:129-35. 2011..Herein, we report the results of a survey of US anesthesiologists regarding adoption of AIMS and anesthesiologist-perceived advantages and barriers to AIMS adoption...
- High incidence of burnout in academic chairpersons of anesthesiology: should we be taking better care of our leaders?Gildasio S de Oliveira
Department of Anesthesiology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Anesthesiology 114:181-93. 2011..Burnout is a work-related psychologic syndrome characterized by emotional exhaustion, low personal accomplishment, and depersonalization...
- Basic genetic statistics are necessary in studies of functional associations in anesthesiologyJorn Lotsch
Anesthesiology 107:168-9; author reply 169. 2007
- [Use of statistics and the accessibility of original articles published in 3 anesthesiology journals]B Rubio García
Servicio de Anestesiologia y Reanimacion, Hospital Universitario Miguel Servet, Zaragoza
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 57:281-7. 2010..and the degree of analysis-dependent and article-dependent accessibility to the reader of publications in anesthesiology journals with impact factors (included in the Science Citation Index) in comparison with Revista Española de ..
- Prehospital advanced life support provided by specially trained physicians: is there a benefit in terms of life years gained?H M Lossius
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Rogaland Central Hospital, Stavanger, Norwegian Air Ambulance, Oslo, Norway
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 46:771-8. 2002..The purpose of the study was to assess the health benefit from an anesthesiologist-manned prehospital emergency medical service (EMS), and to separate the benefit of the anesthesiologist from that of rapid transport...
- Trainee anaesthetists understand their work in different ways: implications for specialist educationJ Larsson
Clinic of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Uppsala Academic Hospital, SE 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden
Br J Anaesth 92:381-7. 2004..The aim of this study was to define the different ways in which trainee anaesthetists understand their work...
- High-fidelity simulation in anesthesiology training: a survey of Canadian anesthesiology residents' simulator experienceJames W Price
Department of Anesthesiology, Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Vancouver General Hospital, University of British Columbia, Room 3200, 910 West 10th Avenue, V5Z 4E3 Vancouver, BC, Canada
Can J Anaesth 57:134-42. 2010The objective of this survey was to explore Canadian anesthesiology residents' educational experience with high-fidelity simulation and to improve understanding of the factors perceived to have either a positive or a negative effect on ..
- Leadership and management of academic anesthesiology departments in the United StatesBerend Mets
Department of Anesthesiology, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA 17033 0850, USA
J Clin Anesth 21:83-93. 2009To characterize the approach of academic chairs of anesthesiology in leading and managing their departments, and to gain insights into what they considered the most difficult challenges as chairs.
- [Anesthesiology education and training in Germany. Results from a representative questionnaire]K A Lehmann
Klinik fur Anaesthesiologie und operative Intensivmedizin, Universitat zu Koln, Joseph Stelzmann Strasse 9, 50924 Köln
Anaesthesist 50:248-61. 2001..On the other hand, the majority voted against making the continued recognition as a specialist in anaesthesiology dependent on completion of a performance control...
- Review article: update in trauma anesthesiology: perioperative resuscitation managementJoshua M Tobin
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Maryland, R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, 22 South Greene St, T1R77, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Anesth Analg 115:1326-33. 2012..Future investigations will need to determine whether this approach offers a similar survival benefit...
- Wellness program for anesthesiology residents: a randomized, controlled trialH Saadat
Department of Anesthesiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8051, USA
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 56:1130-8. 2012Multiple reports illustrate the deleterious effects of stress on physicians' mental and physical health, as well as on patient care. This study evaluates the effects of a wellness program on anesthesiology residents' well-being.
- Competency-based professionalism in anesthesiology: continuing professional developmentJocelyne McKenna
Department of Anesthesiology, The Ottawa Hospital, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Can J Anaesth 59:889-908. 2012..This Continuing Professional Development (CPD) module discusses professionalism as it relates to the practice of anesthesiology.
- [Further education in anesthesiology. Implementation at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf]G N Schmidt
Klinik und Poliklinik für Anästhesiologie, Zentrum für Anästhesie und Intensivmedizin, Martinistrasse 52, Hamburg, Germany
Anaesthesist 60:366-74. 2011Due to the lack of physicians and the changing demands of junior staff more attractive curricula are needed in anesthesiology in Germany...
- Review article: new directions in medical education related to anesthesiology and perioperative medicineM Dylan Bould
Department of Anesthesia, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Can J Anaesth 59:136-50. 2012We aim to provide a broad overview of current key issues in anesthesiology education to encourage both "clinician teachers" and "clinician educators" in academic health centres to consider how medical educational theory can inform their ..
- Review article: assessment in anesthesiology educationJohn R Boulet
Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research, Philadelphia, PA 19104 2685, USA
Can J Anaesth 59:182-92. 2012..is to provide a review of the competencies and associated assessment techniques relevant to the practice of anesthesiology. Although many of the competencies are difficult to define and measure specifically, advances in assessment ..
- Anesthesiology residency programs for physician scientistsPaul R Knight
Anesthesiology 104:1-4. 2006
- Training and credentialing in procedural sedation and analgesia in children: lessons from the United States modelBaruch Krauss
Division of Emergency Medicine, Children s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Paediatr Anaesth 18:30-5. 2008
- The quality of randomized controlled trials in major anesthesiology journalsMary Lou V H Greenfield
The University of Michigan, Department of Anesthesiology, UH 1H247 Box 0048, 1500 East Medical Center Dr, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0048, USA
Anesth Analg 100:1759-64. 2005..We examined leading anesthesiology journals to identify if there were specific areas for improvement in the design and analysis of published ..
- Anesthesiology national CME program and ASA activities in simulationElizabeth H Sinz
Department of Anesthesiology, Office of Education Affairs, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Penn State Hershey Medical Center, H187, 500 University Drive, P O Box 850, Hershey, PA 17033 0850, USA
Anesthesiol Clin 25:209-23. 2007This article traces the history of anesthesiology's role in simulation from Resusci Anne and Sim One to the use of simulation today for introducing new products and techniques to otherwise fully trained, practicing physicians...
- Guidelines to the Practice of Anesthesia: Revised edition 2011Richard Merchant
Canadian Anesthesiologists Society, 1 Eglinton Avenue East, Suite 208, Toronto, ON, M4P 3A1, Canada
Can J Anaesth 58:74-107. 2011..The CAS assumes no responsibility or liability for any error or omission arising from the use of any information contained in its Guidelines to the Practice of Anesthesia...
- Instruction of airway management skills during anesthesiology residency trainingCarin A Hagberg
Department of Anesthesiology, The University of Texas Houston Medical School, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Clin Anesth 15:149-53. 2003Difficult airway management is a critical aspect of anesthesiology training and practice. A survey was conducted of American anesthesia residency programs to determine the prevalence of a specific airway rotation and its curriculum.
- Influence of the method of data collection on the documentation of blood-pressure readings with an Anesthesia Information Management System (AIMS)M Benson
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Germany
Methods Inf Med 40:190-5. 2001..We could assess that the method of documentation did influence the data quality. It could not be assessed whether the incorrectness of data during automatic data gathering was caused by artefacts or by the anesthesiologist...
- Anesthesia preparation time is not affected by the experience level of the resident involved during his/her first month of adult cardiac surgeryDavid M Broussard
Department of Anesthesiology, Ochsner Medical Center, New Orleans, LA 70121, USA
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 25:766-9. 2011..the question of whether the experience level of the resident on his/her first month of adult cardiothoracic anesthesiology has an impact on operating room efficiency in a large academic medical center...
- Anesthesiology physician scientists in academic medicine: a wake-up callDebra A Schwinn
Center for Genomic Medicine, Institute for Genome Science and Policy, Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Anesthesiology 104:170-8. 2006
- [Expected versus real impact factors of publications from Spanish departments of anesthesiology (1991-1996)]E Figueredo
Servicio de Anestesiología y Reanimación Hospital Torrecárdenas Almería Facultativo Especialista de Area
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 48:106-12. 2001....
- Scientific publications in anesthesiology journals from East Asia: a 10-year survey of the literatureZhi Li
Department of Anesthesiology, Eastern Hepatobiliary Surgery Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
J Anesth 25:257-62. 2011The scientific publications in anesthesiology research from East Asian authors have not been reported yet. The present study was designed to analyze the contribution of articles from East Asia to anesthesiology research...
- [Spanish doctoral dissertations on anesthesiology and the scientific publications of their authors]E Figueredo
Servicio de Anestesia y Reanimacion, Hospital Torrecardenas, Almeria
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 49:124-30. 2002To determine whether obtaining a doctorate is a factor that promotes the research careers of the authors. To analyze the dissemination of Spanish doctoral theses in anesthesiology by looking at the publications they generate.
- Needs assessment for business strategies of anesthesiology groups' practicesCorey Scurlock
Department of Anesthesiology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave L Levy Place, Box 1010, New York, NY 10029, USA
Anesth Analg 113:170-4. 2011..Additional research in strategic decisions influencing anesthesia groups should focus on the threat of new entrants, bargaining power of suppliers, and the threat of substitute products or services...
- Workforce and finances of the United States anesthesiology training programs: 2009-2010Sachin Kheterpal
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Anesth Analg 112:1480-6. 2011Financial and workforce surveys were sent to 121 and 124 United States Anesthesiology training programs in 2009 and 2010, respectively...
- Faculty and finances of United States anesthesiology training programs: 2002-2003Kevin K Tremper
University of Michigan, Department of Anesthesiology, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Anesth Analg 99:1185-92, table of contents. 2004Between February, 2000 and August, 2002 three surveys have been submitted to the program directors of the anesthesiology training programs in the United States (U.S...
- Teaching and evaluating group competency in systems-based practice in anesthesiologyEllise Delphin
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey 07103, USA
Anesth Analg 106:1837-43. 2008..assessment of the systems-based practice competency has been problematic in hospital-based specialties such as anesthesiology. We developed a method to teach systems-based practice with collaborative team projects...
- Attitudes to anesthesiology residency among medical students in the American and the Israel programs at Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv UniversitySharon Orbach-Zinger
Department of Anesthesiology, Rabin Medical Center Beilinson Campus, Petah Tikva, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 13:485-7. 2011There is a growing shortage of anesthesiologists practicing in Israel. This shortage is in contrast with the United States where anesthesiology has become a very desired specialty.
- The future of anesthesiology is perioperative medicineP Rock
Department of Anesthesiology and Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA
Anesthesiol Clin North America 18:495-513, v. 2000b>Anesthesiology faces many challenges in the years ahead...
- Recruitment of house staff into anesthesiology: a re-evaluation of factors responsible for house staff selecting anesthesiology as a career and individual training programC Thomas Wass
Department of Anesthesiology and Section of Biostatistics, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Medical School, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Clin Anesth 15:289-94. 2003..e., residents and clinical fellows) selecting anesthesiology as a career and a specific training program, as well as house staff satisfaction with various educational ..
- Pediatric sedation in North American children's hospitals: a survey of anesthesia providersKirk Lalwani
Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Paediatr Anaesth 15:209-13. 2005..We conducted a survey to collect this information from anesthesiologists at pediatric institutions and to identify factors perceived as limiting the development of sedation services...
- A psychological basis for anesthesiologists' operating room managerial decision-making on the day of surgeryFranklin Dexter
Department of Anesthesia and Health Management and Policy, Division of Management Consulting, University of Iowa, IA 52242, USA
Anesth Analg 105:430-4. 2007..Although a sound basis for decision-making involving individual ORs, the heuristic is often suboptimal economically when applied to decisions involving multiple ORs...
- Simulation-based education for cardiac, thoracic, and vascular anesthesiologyElizabeth Sinz
Department of Anesthesiology, Penn State University College of Medicine Hershey, PA 17033 0850, USA
Semin Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 9:291-307. 2005..describes some of the current simulation-based education techniques related to cardiovascular and thoracic anesthesiology. Additional discussion covers some of the applicable educational theory and the expected future uses of ..
- Performance evaluation of quality improvement team in an anesthesiology departmentFu lan Wang
Nursing Department, Tainan Military Hospital, Taiwan
Acta Anaesthesiol Sin 41:13-9. 2003..The purpose of this study was to explore members' job satisfaction, morale, organizational commitment and inventory management through quality improvement team intervention in a department of anesthesiology.
- Anaesthetists' attitudes to teamwork and safetyR Flin
Department of Psychology, University of Aberdeen, King s College, Aberdeen, AB24 2UB, UK
Anaesthesia 58:233-42. 2003..Their responses were comparable with (and slightly more favourable than) those reported in previous ORMAQ surveys of anaesthetists and surgeons in other countries...
- [The specialty of anesthesia outside Western medicine with special consideration of personal experience in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Mongolia]M Dunser
Klinik für Anästhesie, Medizinische Universitat, Innsbruck, Osterreich
Anaesthesist 55:118-32. 2006....
- The mission of the cochrane anesthesia review group: preparing and disseminating systematic reviews of the effect of health care in anesthesiologyTom Pedersen
Department of Anesthesiology, Bispebjerg University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Anesth Analg 95:1012-8, table of contents. 2002..It describes how important randomized controlled trials and systematic reviews are in providing the best evidence to answer clinically relevant questions...
- Assessing the authenticity of the human simulation experience in anesthesiologyMelissa A Hotchkiss
Department of Nurse Anesthesia Virginia commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia, USA
AANA J 70:470-3. 2002..Simulation is likely of maximal benefit if the participant perceives it as legitimate and authentic. Our study indicates the authenticity of anesthesia simulation is in evolution with much potential for improvement...
- Have personal statements become impersonal? An evaluation of personal statements in anesthesiology residency applicationsBryan A Max
Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Clin Anesth 22:346-51. 2010To evaluate personal statements submitted to a major academic anesthesiology program to determine the prevalence of common features and overall subjective quality, and to survey anesthesiology program directors as to how they utilized ..
- Teamwork in the operating room: frontline perspectives among hospitals and operating room personnelJ Bryan Sexton
The Johns Hopkins University, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, and Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Department of Health Policy and Management, Baltimore, MD, USA
Anesthesiology 105:877-84. 2006..However, a reliable and widely used measurement tool for the operating room (OR) setting does not currently exist...
- Anaesthesia services in developing countries: defining the problemsS C Hodges
Mengo Hospital, PO Box 7161, Kampala, Uganda
Anaesthesia 62:4-11. 2007..Major investment in terms of personnel and equipment is required to modernise and improve the safety of anaesthesia for patients in Uganda...
- Correlation of higher preoperative American Society of Anesthesiology grade and increased morbidity and mortality rates in patients undergoing spine surgeryKai Ming G Fu
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 14:470-4. 2011....
- Use of a high-fidelity simulator to develop testing of the technical performance of novice anaesthetistsF C Forrest
Sir Humphry Davy Department of Anaesthesia, Bristol Royal Infirmary, UK
Br J Anaesth 88:338-44. 2002..We then developed a technical scoring system to assess anaesthetists undertaking general anaesthesia with rapid sequence induction...
- The Israeli anesthesiology physician workforceCharles Weissman
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 8:255-60. 2006b>Anesthesiology is a vital specialty that permits the safe and humane performance of painful procedures. Most Israeli anesthesiologists are immigrants, while only a minimal number of Israeli medical school graduates enter the specialty...
- Residents' and program directors' attitudes toward research during anesthesiology training: a Canadian perspectiveLisa C Silcox
Queen s University, Department of Anesthesiology, Kingston General Hospital, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Anesth Analg 102:859-64. 2006We assessed the attitudes of residents and program directors (PD) toward research training in Canadian anesthesiology residency programs...
- Scientific publications in anesthesiology journals from mainland China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong: a 10-year survey of the literatureZhi Li
Department of Anesthesiology, Eastern Hepatobiliary Surgery Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
Anesth Analg 110:918-21. 2010..This same growth and international presence is occurring in the field of anesthesiology. The research status in anesthesiology among Chinese individuals in the 3 major regions of China--mainland ..
- A strategy to decide whether to move the last case of the day in an operating room to another empty operating room to decrease overtime labor costsF Dexter
Department of Anesthesia, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Anesth Analg 91:925-8. 2000....
- Risk perception and communication: recent developments and implications for anaesthesiaA M Adams
Department of Anaesthesia, Royal Lancaster Infirmary, Ashton Road, Lancaster LA1 4RP, UK
Anaesthesia 56:745-55. 2001..The place of risk communication in informed consent and its ethical implications are discussed...
- Performance on ABA-ASA in-training examination predicts success for RCPSC certification. American Board of Anesthesiology-American Society of Anesthesiologists. Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of CanadaR A Kearney
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Can J Anaesth 47:914-8. 2000Most Canadian University Departments of Anesthesia require residents to take the American Board of Anesthesiology-American Society of Anesthesiologists (ABA-ASA) in-training examination (ITE)...
- Operating room nursing directors' influence on anesthesia group operating room productivityDanielle Masursky
Department of Anesthesiology, State University of New York Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York, USA
Anesth Analg 107:1989-96. 2008..We assessed reward structures using (A) letters of nomination for the "OR Manager of the Year" award offered annually by the publication OR Manager, and (B) data from a salary/career survey of OR directors by the same publication...
- Online vs live methods for teaching difficult airway management to anesthesiology residentsGiuseppe Bello
Istituto di Anestesiologia e Rianimazione, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Policlinico A Gemelli, Largo A Gemelli 8, 00168 Rome, Italy
Intensive Care Med 31:547-52. 2005To compare the effectiveness of traditional and online teaching methods for educating anesthesiology residents in the principles and practice of difficult airway management.
- Dexmedetomidine: applications in pediatric critical care and pediatric anesthesiologyJoseph D Tobias
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO, USA
Pediatr Crit Care Med 8:115-31. 2007..To provide a general descriptive account of the end-organ effects of dexmedetomidine and to provide an evidence-based review of the literature regarding its use in infants and children...
- Consistency, inter-rater reliability, and validity of 441 consecutive mock oral examinations in anesthesiology: implications for use as a tool for assessment of residentsA Schubert
Division of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Ohio 44195, USA
Anesthesiology 91:288-98. 1999Oral practice examinations (OPEs) are used extensively in many anesthesiology programs for various reasons, including assessment of clinical judgment. Yet oral examinations have been criticized for their subjectivity...
- The Narcotrend--a new EEG monitor designed to measure the depth of anaesthesia. A comparison with bispectral index monitoring during propofol-remifentanil-anaesthesiaS Kreuer
, , 66421 Homburg/Saar
Anaesthesist 50:921-5. 2001..The Narcotrend stages D or E are assumed equivalent to BIS values between 64 and 40 indicating general anaesthesia...
- The validation process of incorporating simulation-based accreditation into the anesthesiology Israeli national board examsHaim Berkenstadt
Israel Board Examination Committee in Anesthesiology, Scientific Council, Israel Medical Association, Ramat Gan, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 8:728-33. 2006The Israeli Board of Anesthesiology Examination Committee added a simulation-based Objective Structured Clinical Evaluation component to the board examination process...
- The impact of service-specific staffing, case scheduling, turnovers, and first-case starts on anesthesia group and operating room productivity: a tutorial using data from an Australian hospitalCatherine McIntosh
Department of Anaesthesia, John Hunter Hospital, Hunter New England Area Health Service, Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Anesth Analg 103:1499-516. 2006..Most of the tutorial focuses on the steps required for each facility to refine its OR allocations using its own data collected during patient care...
- Career choices for anaesthesia: national surveys of graduates of 1974-2002 from UK medical schoolsG Turner
UK Medical Careers Research Group, Department of Public Health, University of Oxford, Old Road Campus, Oxford OX3 7LF, UK
Br J Anaesth 95:332-8. 2005..Knowledge about UK doctors' career intentions and pathways is essential for understanding future workforce requirements. The aim of this study was to report career choices for and career progression in anaesthesia in the UK...
- Teaching professionalism during anesthesiology trainingSteven B Edelstein
Department of Anesthesiology, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
J Clin Anesth 17:392-8. 2005..This review article serves as a primer for those individuals faced with the task of instilling the concepts of professionalism, not only in trainees but also in anesthesiologists practicing today...
- Educating anesthesiology residents to perform percutaneous cricothyrotomy, retrograde intubation, and fiberoptic bronchoscopy using preserved cadaversKevin W Hatton
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Kentucky Chandler Medical Center, Lexington, Kentucky 40536, USA
Anesth Analg 103:1205-8. 2006..cadavers to teach percutaneous cricothyrotomy (PC), retrograde intubation (RI), and fiberoptic intubation to anesthesiology residents would improve their perceived procedural confidence and ability...
- Three cases of PICU sedation with isoflurane delivered by the 'AnaConDa'Peter V Sackey
Department of Anesthesiology, Karolinska University Hospital Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Paediatr Anaesth 15:879-85. 2005..Inhaled sedation of isoflurane with AnaConDa was effective in these patients. It may provide an alternative in difficult cases needing prolonged sedation and should be evaluated further...
- The feasibility of sharing simulation-based evaluation scenarios in anesthesiologyHaim Berkenstadt
The Israel Center for Medical Simulation, Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Anesth Analg 101:1068-74, table of contents. 2005..The higher scores achieved by Israeli residents may be related to the fact that most Israeli residents are immigrants with previous training in anesthesia...
- Prehospital airway management: a prospective evaluation of anaesthesia trained emergency physiciansArnd Timmermann
Department of Anesthesiology, Emergency and Intensive Care and Medicine, Georg August University of Goettingen, Germany
Resuscitation 70:179-85. 2006..To determine the characteristics of prehospital tracheal intubation and the incidence of difficult-to-manage airways in out-of-hospital patients managed by emergency medicine physicians with anaesthesia training...
- Assessment of competency in anesthesiologyJohn E Tetzlaff
Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Center for Anesthesiology Education, Division of Anesthesiology, Critical Care Medicine and Comprehensive Pain Management, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Anesthesiology 106:812-25. 2007..In anesthesiology, this has been relatively easy because of the high volume of care provided by residents under the direct ..
- Peer review interrater concordance of scientific abstracts: a study of anesthesiology subspecialty and component societiesIra Todd Cohen
Department of Anesthesiology and Pediatrics, Children s National Medical Center, George Washington University, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Anesth Analg 102:1501-3. 2006Abstracts presented at anesthesiology subspeciality and component society meetings are chosen by peer review. We assessed this process by examining selection criteria and determining interrater concordance...
- Guidelines for safety and quality in anaesthesia practice in the European UnionJ Mellin-Olsen
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, Asker and Baerum Hospital HA, N 1306 Rud, Norway
Eur J Anaesthesiol 24:479-82. 2007..A working party on Safety and Quality in Anaesthesiological Practice in the Section and Board of Anaesthesiology of the European Union of Medical Specialists (EUMS/UEMS) has prepared guidelines that were amended and approved recently...
- The use of single-use devices in anaesthesia: balancing the risks to patient safetyE Rowley
Institute for Science and Society, West Wing, Law and Social Sciences Building, University Park, University of Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK
Anaesthesia 62:569-74. 2007..However, despite reservations about induced harm and the unknown risk of an iatrogenic disease, most clinicians would want single-use devices used on themselves and their family if they were patients...
- Mitochondrial dysfunction, oxidative stress, and surgical acute kidney injuryFREDERIC TREMAINE BILLINGS; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The candidate is an assistant professor of anesthesiology conducting translational research that tests mechanisms of acute kidney injury (AKI) following cardiac surgery...
- Decompressive craniotomy versus medical therapy for refractory intracranial hyperRaminder Nirula; Fiscal Year: 2010..the broad Challenge Area (05) Comparative Effectiveness Research and specific Challenge Topic, 05-GM-101: Anesthesiology Clinical Pharmacology Sepsis Trauma, Burn, and Peri-operative Injury Wound Healing...
- Immediate and Delayed Effects of Morphine on Brain Circuits: Animal and Human CorDusica Bajic; Fiscal Year: 2013..I am board certified in Anesthesiology as of 2008...
- Modulating Secondary Damage Following Traumatic Brain Injury in the ChildStuart H Friess; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Candidate: Dr. Stuart Friess is an Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania (UPENN) and a Pediatric Critical Care Medicine Attending Physician ..
- Integrating Perioperative Care into the Treatment of HypertensionROBERT SCHONBERGER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Robert B. Schonberger is a board certified anesthesiologist and Assistant Professor in the Department of Anesthesiology at the Yale School of Medicine...
- Perioperative Use and Outcomes of Noninvasive Ventilation in Sleep ApneaPeter K Lindenauer; Fiscal Year: 2013..complications, and extrapolating from the benefits of chronic therapy, guidelines from the American Society of Anesthesiology recommend that all patients with OSA receive NIV and have oximetry monitoring for a prolonged period following ..
- Multi-Disciplinary Evaluation of Chronic Pelvic Pain SyndromeGERALD LOUIS ANDRIOLE; Fiscal Year: 2012..of Texas at Dallas Southwestern Medical School, that consists of researchers from several disciplines: anesthesiology, rheumatology, gastroenterology, neuroradiology, molecular microbiology, infectious disease, epidemiology, ..
- ANESTHESIOLOGY RESEARCH TRAININGCharles W Emala; Fiscal Year: 2013..Columbia University to qualified applicants who have committed to or are enrolled in postgraduate training in anesthesiology. The program will provide for four trainees, two in their fifth and two in their sixh postgraduate years...
- Molecular Biology and Gene Therapy in Burns and TraumaLyle L Moldawer; Fiscal Year: 2013..Clinical mentors from the Surgery, Anesthesiology , Medicine and Pathology Departments will interact with the trainees and the research faculty to assure that ..
- Role of the TRPV1 channel in myocardial salvage from ischemia-reperfusion injuryERIC RICHARD GROSS; Fiscal Year: 2012..this award, will provide a foundation to establish a career as a teacher, clinician and a basic scientist in Anesthesiology. Training Environment: Stanford has an outstanding world-class environment for career development and to ..
- Postpartum Hemmorrhage and Anemia: Epidemiologic and Cost-Effectiveness AnalysesALEXANDER JAMES BUTWICK; Fiscal Year: 2013..team with expertise in Clinical Epidemiology, Obstetrics, Perinatology, Health Services Research, and Anesthesiology. The candidate's proposal will benefit from the diverse strength of resources at SUSM (the Department of ..
- Anesthesiology Research Training ProgramJudy R Kersten; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The goal of the proposed Anesthesiology Research Training Program is to develop competent investigative anesthesiologists, intensivists, and basic scientists suitable for entry-level, full-time, ..
- Short-Term Research Training: Students in Health Professional SchoolsJohn N Forrest; Fiscal Year: 2013..The participating departments and sections will include: anesthesiology, cell biology, cellular and molecular physiology, child study center, dermatology, diagnostic radiology, ..
- Cognitive and socioemotional development after postnatal anesthesiaMark G Baxter; Fiscal Year: 2013..and children, and may result in long-term cognitive impairments, is one of the most critical questions in anesthesiology today...
- Cross-species analysis of myocardial susceptibility to perioperative stressMIHAI VICTOR PODGOREANU; Fiscal Year: 2010..This experimental approach will require coordinated efforts in cardiac surgery, anesthesiology and critical care, evolutionary biology, computational analysis, and statistical genetics and epidemiology, ..
- REQUEST TO PURCHASE A 600 MHZ NMR REPLACEMENT CONSOLE AND COLD PROBEJoseph J H Ackerman; Fiscal Year: 2013..of the University-wide NMR Facility that serves 40 separate research groups, spanning departments of Anesthesiology, Biochemistry &Molecular Biophysics, Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Cardiology, Chemistry, Infectious ..
- Anesthesiology &Perioperative Medicine Research TrainingTonya M Palermo; Fiscal Year: 2013..is to provide in-depth research training in cutting edge (andemerging) areas of biomedical science related to anesthesiology and perioperative medicine, including critical care...
- Right Lobe Living Donor Liver Transplantation in AdultsPAUL HIDEYO HAYASHI; Fiscal Year: 2010..includes 4 transplant surgeons, 5 hepatologists, and other relevant professionals in vascular surgery, anesthesiology, radiology and vascular/interventional radiology, immunology, infectious disease, pulmonary disease, pathology,..
- REQUEST TO PURCHASE A VARIAN HIGH RESOLUTION NMR REPLACEMENT CONSOLEJoseph J H Ackerman; Fiscal Year: 2010..a shared magnetic resonance resource that serves 38 separate research groups spanning departments of Anesthesiology, Biochemistry &Molecular Biophysics, Chemistry, Cardiology, Engineering, Internal Medicine, Neurology, ..
- Neurological Emergencies Treatment Trials (NETT) Network Clinical Site Hubs....David W Wright; Fiscal Year: 2013..emergency medicine, neurology, neurointensive care, interventional neuroradiology, radiology, neurosurgery, anesthesiology, trauma surgery, pharmacology, ethics, biomedical engineering, laboratory science, neuropsychology, neuro-..
- Neuroimaging Biomarkers for Post-Operative Cognitive Decline in Older AdultsCATHERINE E PRICE; Fiscal Year: 2013..team with expertise in neuropsychology, geriatrics, dementia, post-operative cognitive dysfunction, anesthesiology, and orthopedic surgery...
- Oregon Multidisciplinary Training Program in Emergency Medicine Clinical ResearchCraig D Newgard; Fiscal Year: 2013..Furthermore, it initiates or enhances collaborations with the Department of Anesthesiology &Perioperative Medicine;the Department of Physiology &Pharmacology;and the Department of Behavioral ..
- Opioid Receptor Gene Transfer: A Translational Approach to the Treatment of PainDenise Wilkes; Fiscal Year: 2013..The principal investigator has completed the MD/PhD program, residency in anesthesiology, and a pain medicine fellowship at the University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB), and now will expand upon her ..
- Redesigning General AnesthesiaMatthew A Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Despite the central role of anesthesiology in modern healthcare, research in this field is overly focused on deciphering the anesthetic and toxic ..
- SAR 2013: Impact of Acupuncture Research on 21st Century Health CareVitaly Napadow; Fiscal Year: 2012..for April 18-21, 2013 in Ann Arbor, MI, will be co-sponsored by the University of Michigan Department of Anesthesiology and the University of Michigan Program for Integrative Medicine...
- UCLA Clinical Pharmacology Training ProgramBARBARA ANN LEVEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..and by the specialties of the trainees, who have been MD or MD/PhD junior faculty with primary appointments in Anesthesiology/Critical Care Medicine, internal Medicine (Gastroenterology, Pulmonary, (Allergy/Immunology), Neurology, ..
- Frontoparietal Mechanisms of Anesthetic-induced UnconsciousnessGEORGE ALEXANDER MASHOUR; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Although the field of anesthesiology has played a leadership role in promoting patient safety, there is still no standard monitor for the target orga of general anesthesia: the brain...
- Bruker Avance III 600 MHz (14T) Wide Bore SpectrometerMartin J Kushmerick; Fiscal Year: 2010..Kushmerick and Tian and established by the cooperation of, and jointly administered by, the Departments of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine and of Radiology in the School of Medicine and the Provost's Office...
- Novel methods for brain injury detection and outcome prediction in pediatric ECMOMELANIA MARIA BEMBEA; Fiscal Year: 2013..Bembea, is on faculty at the Johns Hopkins University, in the Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine...
- Molecular Physiology Core Applied to Acute Lung InjuryMark W Geraci; Fiscal Year: 2010..interaction across affiliated programs &the Division &Departments within the medical school (Medicine, Anesthesiology and Pediatrics), the Colorado CTSI, and programmatic initiatives involving the CVP, and the imaging core at ..
- Adolescents at risk for chronic painANNA CAMILLE WILSON; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The K23 candidate is an assistant professor in the Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine at Oregon Health &Science University (OHSU)...
- TRAUMA AND INFLAMMATION RESEARCH TRAININGIrshad H Chaudry; Fiscal Year: 2010..Care, Neurosurgery, Orthopedic Surgery, Chemoprevention Center, Islet Transplant Center, and Departments of Anesthesiology, Cell Biology, Medicine, Microbiology, Pathology, Neuroscience, Physiology and Biophysics at UAB continue to ..
- iPSC-derived cardiomyocytes to study dystrophic cardiomyopathyJENNIFER LYNN STRANDE; Fiscal Year: 2013..He is the vice chairman for research in the Department of Anesthesiology and has a long track record of successful post-doctoral fellows and graduate studies, many of which have gone ..
- Functional Networks in MigraineTodd Schwedt; Fiscal Year: 2013..The candidate is an Assistant Professor of Neurology and Anesthesiology and Director of the Washington University Headache Center in St. Louis, Missouri...
- Dendritic Cell Dysfunction in Post-CLP ImmunosuppressionErle D Murphey; Fiscal Year: 2010..The Dept. of Anesthesiology and the Shriners'Burns Institute at UTMB provide expertise from diverse resources and provide an ideal ..
- Mechanisms, Outcomes and Treatment of Non-Articular Pain in Rheumatoid ArthritisYVONNE CLAIRE LEE; Fiscal Year: 2013..her Scientific and Career Advisory Boards, who have backgrounds in patient-oriented research in rheumatology, anesthesiology and psychiatry. As a junior faculty member In the Division of Rheumatology, Immunology and Allergy, Dr...
- Parent/Health Care Provider Behaviors &Child's AnxietyZeev Kain; Fiscal Year: 2013..Preliminary discussions with the American Society of Anesthesiologists, the American Board of Anesthesiology and the Society of Pediatric Anesthesia have indicated the willingness of these organizations to include P-..
- Multi-User, Isothermal Titration MicrocalorimeterIVAN JULIAN DMOCHOWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2013..Also well represented is the University Of Penn School Of Medicine, with two Anesthesiology faculties and a member of the Institute of Environmental Medicine...
- PREDOCTORAL TRAINING IN PHARMACOLOGICAL SCIENCESPatrick J Pagano; Fiscal Year: 2013..Of Medicine, but includes faculty from three schools within the University and ten departments including Anesthesiology, Chemistry, Immunology, Medicine, Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Neurobiology, Neurology, Otolaryngology,..
- International Conference on Nausea and Vomiting 2013Bill J Yates; Fiscal Year: 2013..include scientists (neuroscience, nutrition, and pharmacology), physicians (gastroenterology, oncology, and anesthesiology), and other heathcare providers (nurses, nutritionists)...
- 9th International Myotonic Dystrophy Consortium MeetingRichard T Moxley; Fiscal Year: 2013..and clinical investigators representing a broad range of specialties including: neurology, cardiology, anesthesiology, clinical trials, neurobiology, pathology, genetics and molecular biology...
- Training In Cardiovascular Physiology &PharmacologyKirk U Knowlton; Fiscal Year: 2013..The Faculty of the program are from the Departments of Medicine, Pharmacology, Anesthesiology, School of Pharmacy and Bioengineering at UCSD and draw from the resources of the School of Medicine, School ..
- Opioid and Noradrenergic Mechanisms in Stress and Drug SeekingMichael R Bruchas; Fiscal Year: 2013..The proposed project, is to be conducted at Washington University-St. Louis, in the Departments of Anesthesiology &Anatomy/Neurobiology, a strong and enriching environment for neuroscience research...
- Neurotoxic Effects of Volatile Anesthetics in C. elegansPhilip G Morgan; Fiscal Year: 2012..recent studies have seriously challenged this dogma, and caused a startling paradigm shift in the field of anesthesiology, in particular in regard to the care of infants undergoing general anesthesia...
- 8th International Myotonic Dystrophy Consortium MeetingRichard T Moxley; Fiscal Year: 2011..and clinical investigators representing a broad range of specialties including: neurology, cardiology, anesthesiology, clinical trials, neurobiology, pathology, genetics and molecular biology...
- Transfusion Biology and Cellular TherapiesLESLIE ERIC SILBERSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..scientific consultants to their colleagues in other disciplines, including among others surgery, cardiology, anesthesiology, neonatology, and hematology/oncology...
- Active Induction of Emergence from General AnesthesiaKen Solt; Fiscal Year: 2013..monitors to detect intraoperative awareness, and ultimately a safer and more efficient practice of anesthesiology. Our preliminary data suggest that pharmacological activation of dopaminergic and cholinergic arousal circuits ..
- UK NETT Clinical Site HubROGER LOYD HUMPHRIES; Fiscal Year: 2013..include physician faculty members in the Departments of Neurology, Neurosurgery, Surgery/Trauma Surgery, and Anesthesiology/Intensive Care Medicine...
- Interdisciplinary Training in Lung Physiology and Biomedical EngineeringGary C Sieck; Fiscal Year: 2013..from the large pool of residents or fellows from participating clinical departments (especially Anesthesiology, Pulmonary/Critical Care, Radiology 15 NIH-funded key faculty mentors and 3 postdoctoral trainees (with PhD ..
- TRAINING IN GENETICSHELEN KAREN SALZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..in several departments including Genetics, Biology, Molecular Biology, Neuroscience, Pediatrics, Medicine and Anesthesiology. This integrated training program reflects the commitment of the training faculty to the diversity of ..
- Integrated and Translational Training in Anesthesiology ResearchJeffrey R Kirsch; Fiscal Year: 2012..If anesthesiology is to continue to improve the safety of care provided to an increasingly complicated group of patients of ..
- Risk Prediction and Mechanistic Evaluation of Postoperative Acute Lung InjuryDaryl J Kor; Fiscal Year: 2013..The applicant is an Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology with special certification in Critical Care Medicine...
- Baylor/Texas Children's Hospital Pediatric Heart NetworkLARA SEVANNE SHEKERDEMIAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..multidisciplinary leadership in Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery, Cardiac Critical Care, and Cardiovascular Anesthesiology. TCH has a large patient population with diverse diagnoses undergoing over 550 open heart cases, 1000 cardiac ..
- Optimizing the Use of Methadone in Newborn InfantsJOHANNES NICOLAAS VAN DEN ANKER; Fiscal Year: 2013..3-4 junior faculty members who are conducting pharmacological studies in the areas of HIV/AIDS, psychiatry and anesthesiology. In addition, he will perform a research project that will focus on the development of a pharmacokinetic model ..
- Training in the Biology of Injury and InflammationJeffrey H Lawson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Biochemistry, Genetics, and Biomedical Engineering, as well as the clinical departments of Medicine, Anesthesiology, and Surgery. Although this grant will be housed in the Duke Dept...
- TRAINING PROGRAM IN ORGANOGENESISChristopher C Wylie; Fiscal Year: 2010..the CCHRF hold primary appointments in the departments of Pediatrics (the majority), Surgery, Radiology, and Anesthesiology. In 2004 and the first few months of 2005, this group of training faculty has more than 180 publications, ..
- Disparities in Labor AnalgesiaPaloma Toledo; Fiscal Year: 2010..Building on her background in obstetric anesthesiology and public health, the candidate proposes to develop additional skills during the award period through 1) ..
- Research Training in Anesthesiology and Pain MedicineYan Xu; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Modern anesthesiology and pain medicine have increasingly become an interdisciplinary specialty of medicine that requires integrated knowledge in anesthesiology, critical care medicine, neurobiology, ..
- Anesthesiology Research Training ProgramPaul R Knight; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The primary objective of the Anesthesiology Research Training Program is to develop perioperative medicine, critical care, and pain management physician scientists, as well as laboratory investigators ..
- Peripheral Nerve Blocks with Multimodal AnalgesicsBrian Williams; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): In the subspecialty of anesthesiology for orthopedic surgery, the past 12 years have provided remarkable advances in opioid-sparing analgesia via the regular use of peripheral nerve blocks...
- Comprehensive Anesthesia Research TrainingJudith Hellman; Fiscal Year: 2013..full-time research scientists in either basic or clinical arenas whose work supports the mission of academic anesthesiology. Because we have implemented a new innovative four-year residency program that includes 2 years of protected ..
- Postdoctoral Training in Cardiovascular Clinical ResearchDaniel B Mark; Fiscal Year: 2012..Twenty-eight faculty members representing 6 departments at Duke (Medicine, Surgery, Anesthesiology, Pediatrics, Behavioral Medicine/Psychiatry and Radiology) will participate as mentors in this program...
- RENOVATION OF NINTH FLOOR OF BURNETT-WOMACKWILLIAM ROPER; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed future occupants of Burnett-Womack include the Departments of Anesthesiology, Surgery, Ophthalmology, and Orthopedics; Divisions of Cardiology and Reproductive Biology; [investigators ..
- INFORMED CONSENT FOR STUDIES INVOLVING SURGICAL PATIENTSALAN TAIT; Fiscal Year: 2002..In anesthesiology and surgical research, there is increasing concern that the environment in which consent is sought may be ..
- Aminocaproic Acid and Bleeding in Spinal SurgerySean Berenholtz; Fiscal Year: 2006..the faculty at Johns Hopkins University, in the Division of Adult Critical Care Medicine (CCM), Department of Anesthesiology/CCM...
- TRACHEAL GAS INSUFFLATION - PATIENT INTERFACE SYSTEMROBERT VIRAG; Fiscal Year: 2004..Design improvements will address issues identified by the FDA CDRH Anesthesiology Guidance Panel, December 1998...
- REDUCING ENDOTRACHEAL TUBE INFECTION USING IGGJEFFREY SLUNT; Fiscal Year: 1999Endotracheal tubes are a common biomedical device in widespread use for anesthesiology and tracheostomy procedures and for long-term ventilation...
- Dental Anxiety, Pain & Melanocortin-1 Receptor MutationsEdwin Liem; Fiscal Year: 2005..This proposal is collaboration between the School of Dentistry, the Department of Anesthesiology, the OUTCOMES RESEARCH Institute, the Genetics Core Laboratory, and the Department of Psychology -- all at the ..
- CEREBRAL BLOOD FLOW AND METABOLISM DURING INFANT CPRCharles Schleien; Fiscal Year: 1990The candidate received residency training in Pediatrics and Anesthesiology, and subspeciality training in Pediatric Critical Care Medicine, during which he was instrumental in developing an infant pediatric cardiopulmonary resuscitation (..
- ANESTHETICS AND CARDIOPROTECTIVE SIGNAL TRANSDUCTIONJudy Kersten; Fiscal Year: 2001..Development Award was awarded the MD degree from the University of Wisconsin and completed a residency in Anesthesiology at the University of Iowa and a research fellowship at the Medical College of Wisconsin...
- Improving safety of pediatric sedationJENIFER LIGHTDALE; Fiscal Year: 2006..with a multidisciplinary team that includes experts in research design, prediction rules, gastroenterology, anesthesiology and pediatric psychology, the candidate will: 1) use robust, precise methods to prospectively assess ..
- Development of Sensory/Pain-Selective Local AnestheticsPeter Gerner; Fiscal Year: 2006DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant) The candidate is an Instructor in Anesthesiology at Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA...
- SYMPOSIUM ON PEDIATRIC SEDATIONJoseph Cravero; Fiscal Year: 2000..oral surgery, pediatric emergency medicine, pediatric radiology, pediatric intensive care, and pediatric anesthesiology. 3) Build consensus on the most pressing research needs in the field of pediatric sedation...