Genomes and Genes
Summary: The branch of medicine concerned with the physiological and pathological aspects of the aged, including the clinical problems of senescence and senility.
Publications269 found, 100 shown here
- Research agenda for frailty in older adults: toward a better understanding of physiology and etiology: summary from the American Geriatrics Society/National Institute on Aging Research Conference on Frailty in Older AdultsJeremy Walston
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, 5505 Hopkins Bayview Circle, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 54:991-1001. 2006..This article reports on the results of the 2004 American Geriatrics Society/National Institute on Aging conference on a Research Agenda on Frailty in Older Adults, which brought ..
- Diabetes mellitus in older people: position statement on behalf of the International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics (IAGG), the European Diabetes Working Party for Older People (EDWPOP), and the International Task Force of Experts in DiabetesAlan Sinclair
Institute of Diabetes for Older People IDOP, University of Bedfordshire, UK
J Am Med Dir Assoc 13:497-502. 2012..These form a foundation for future policy development in this area and should influence the clinical behavior and approach of all health professionals engaged in delivering diabetes care to older people...
- How to manage recurrent falls in clinical practice: guidelines of the French Society of Geriatrics and GerontologyOlivier Beauchet
Department of Internal Medicine and Geriatrics, Angers University Hospitals, 49933 Angers Cedex 9, France
J Nutr Health Aging 15:79-84. 2011..Health care professionals need a simple and pragmatic clinical approach for the management of recurrent fallers in clinical routine...
- Validity of the Medication-based Disease Burden Index compared with the Charlson Comorbidity Index and the Cumulative Illness Rating Scale for geriatrics: a cohort studyYichayaou Beloosesky
Department of Geriatrics, Rabin Medical Center, Beilinson Hospital, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Petach Tikvah, Israel
Drugs Aging 28:1007-14. 2011..A co-morbidity index reduces coexisting illnesses and their severity to a single numerical score, allowing comparison with scores from other patients. Recently, the Medication-Based Disease Burden Index (MDBI) was developed...
- Geriatrics index of comorbidity was the most accurate predictor of death in geriatric hospital among six comorbidity scoresDina Zekry
Rehabilitation and Geriatrics Department, Geneva University, chemin du Pont Bochet, Thonex, Switzerland
J Clin Epidemiol 63:1036-44. 2010..indices (Charlson index, cumulative illness rating scale [CIRS], index of coexistent diseases, Kaplan scale, geriatrics index of comorbidity [GIC], and chronic disease score) to predict adverse hospitalization outcomes (death during ..
- Replicating the Hospital Elder Life Program in a community hospital and demonstrating effectiveness using quality improvement methodologyFred H Rubin
Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, UPMC Shadyside, 5230 Centre Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15232, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 54:969-74. 2006..To evaluate a replication of the Hospital Elder Life Program (HELP), a quality-improvement model, in a community hospital without a research infrastructure, using administrative data...
- Consequences of preventing delirium in hospitalized older adults on nursing home costsDouglas L Leslie
Department of Psychiatry, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:405-9. 2005..To determine whether costs of long-term nursing home (NH) care for patients who received a multicomponent targeted intervention (MTI) to prevent delirium while hospitalized were less than for those who did not receive the intervention...
- A systematic review of comprehensive geriatric assessment to improve outcomes for frail older people being rapidly discharged from acute hospital: 'interface geriatrics'Simon Paul Conroy
University of Leicester School of Medicine, Leicester Royal Infirmary, UK
Age Ageing 40:436-43. 2011..many frail older people who attend acute hospital settings and who are discharged home within short periods (up to 72 h) have poor outcomes. This review assessed the role of comprehensive geriatric assessment (CGA) for such people...
- Designing randomized, controlled trials aimed at preventing or delaying functional decline and disability in frail, older persons: a consensus reportLuigi Ferrucci
Clinical Research Branch, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 52:625-34. 2004....
- "But I see old people everywhere": dispelling the myth that eldercare is learned in nongeriatric clerkshipsLaura Diachun
Department of Medicine, The University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
Acad Med 85:1221-8. 2010To test the assumption that knowledge, attitudes, and skills (KAS) in geriatrics are learned via exposure to elderly patients in nongeriatric clerkships...
- A multimodal aging and dying course for first-year medical students improves knowledge and attitudesManuel A Eskildsen
Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30329, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 57:1492-7. 2009..Students completed a survey including demographics, the University of California at Los Angeles Geriatrics Attitudes Scale (UCLA-GAS), and the Facts on Aging Quiz-1 (FAQ1) before and after the course...
- Systematic review: helping the young to understand the old. Teaching interventions in geriatrics to improve the knowledge, skills, and attitudes of undergraduate medical studentsEllen StC Tullo
Institute of Ageing and Health, Newcastle University, Newcastle, UK
J Am Geriatr Soc 58:1987-93. 2010It is unclear whether geriatrics-specific educational interventions lead to improvement in students' knowledge, skills, and attitudes and whether successful interventions possess any consistent features...
- Developing and evaluating complex healthcare interventions in geriatrics: the use of the medical research council framework exemplified on a complex fall prevention interventionMiriam C Faes
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Am Geriatr Soc 58:2212-21. 2010b>Geriatrics focuses on a variety of multiorgan problems in a heterogeneous older population. Therefore, most geriatric healthcare interventions are complex interventions...
- Knowledge and attitudes about geriatrics of medical students, internal medicine residents, and geriatric medicine fellowsMitsumasa Kishimoto
Department of Medicine, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:99-102. 2005..the attitudes and knowledge of medical students (MS1-3), internal medicine residents (postgraduate years 1 to 3 (PGY1-3)), and geriatric medicine fellows about elderly patients before implementation of a new geriatrics curriculum.
- Closing the osteoporosis care gap: increased osteoporosis awareness among geriatrics and rehabilitation teamsDerek A Haaland
McMaster University, Department of Medicine, Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
BMC Geriatr 9:28. 2009..patients admitted with fragility hip fractures, and to assess differences in these rates since the outset of the multipronged "Fracture? Think Osteoporosis" (FTOP) Program, which includes education of geriatrics and rehabilitation teams.
- Primary care guidelines for geriatric assessment. A structured, comparative analysisT Frese
Department of Primary Care of the Leipzig Medical School, Philipp Rosenthal Str 55, 04103, Leipzig, Deutschland
Z Gerontol Geriatr 45:224-9. 2012..Differences were identified in profession, instruments, aims, and "tailoring." The quality of primary care guidelines for GA may be improved. Details of organization of a GA require further research...
- Promoting access to innovation for frail old persons. IAGG (International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics), WHO (World Health Organization) and SFGG (Société Française de Gériatrie et de Gérontologie) Workshop--Athens January 20-21, 2012G Berrut
Pr Athanase Benetos, MD, PhD, Département de Médecine Gériatrique, CHU de Nancy, Avenue de Bourgogne, BP 217, 54511 Vandoeuvre les Nancy, France
J Nutr Health Aging 17:688-93. 2013..Frailty tends to be considered as a major risk for adverse outcomes in older persons, but some important aspects remain matter of debate...
- Medical student attitudes toward older people and willingness to consider a career in geriatric medicineNiall J Hughes
Department of Medicine for the Elderly, Woodend Hospital, Aberdeen, United Kingdom
J Am Geriatr Soc 56:334-8. 2008..To examine the effects of an intensive geriatric medicine (GM) teaching program on these attitudes and career aspirations...
- Effects of an inpatient geriatrics rotation on internal medicine residents' knowledge and attitudesM C Lindberg
Department of Internal Medicine, Saint Francis Hospital and Medical Center, Hartford, Conn. 06105, USA
J Gen Intern Med 11:397-400. 1996OBJECTIVE: The purpose of this study is to assess the effect of a geriatrics-focused acute medicine inpatient rotation and the presence or absence of a geriatrician as attending physician on knowledge about and attitudes toward older ..
- Multidimensional attitudes of medical residents and geriatrics fellows toward older peopleMing Lee
Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of the West, Rosemead, California, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:489-94. 2005..To examine dimensions of a validated instrument measuring geriatric attitudes of primary care residents and performances on these dimensions between residents and fellows...
- Are internal medicine residency programs adequately preparing physicians to care for the baby boomers? A national survey from the Association of Directors of Geriatric Academic Programs Status of Geriatrics Workforce StudyGregg A Warshaw
Office of Geriatric Medicine, Department of Family Medicine, University of Cincinnati, and Division of General and Community Pediatrics, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Ohio 45267, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 54:1603-9. 2006..preceptors in nongeriatric clinical ambulatory settings, and outpatient geriatric assessment centers for their geriatrics training. Training was most often offered in a block format...
- Relating medical students' knowledge, attitudes, and experience to an interest in geriatric medicineJames T Fitzgerald
Department of Medical Education, The University of Michigan Medical School, 1107 Towsley Center, Box 0201, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0201, USA
Gerontologist 43:849-55. 2003This study examined medical students' interest in geriatrics: Are knowledge, positive attitudes, and prior experience with older adults associated with an interest in geriatric medicine?
- AcuteCare for Elders (ACE) tracker and e-Geriatrician: methods to disseminate ACE concepts to hospitals with no geriatricians on staffMichael L Malone
Department of Medicine, School of Medicine and Public Health, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 58:161-7. 2010..There were significant improvements in urinary catheter and physical therapy referrals but no significant changes in the other outcomes. There was no change in the length of stay or in the rate of hospital readmission within 30 days...
- Interventions to reduce fear of falling in community-living older people: a systematic reviewG A Rixt Zijlstra
Department of Health Care Studies, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Am Geriatr Soc 55:603-15. 2007....
- Effect of a collaborative approach on the quality of prescribing for geriatric inpatients: a randomized, controlled trialAnne Spinewine
Center for Clinical Pharmacy, School of Pharmacy, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
J Am Geriatr Soc 55:658-65. 2007..To evaluate the effect of pharmaceutical care provided in addition to acute Geriatric Evaluation and Management (GEM) care on the appropriateness of prescribing...
- Toward the realization of a better aged society: messages from gerontology and geriatricsHidenori Arai
Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Geriatr Gerontol Int 12:16-22. 2012..1...
- Joint geriatric and psychiatric wards: a review of the literatureJim George
Department of Medicine for the Elderly, Cumberland Infirmary, Newtown Road, Carlisle CA2 7HY, UK
Age Ageing 40:543-8. 2011..Further research is needed, particularly regarding cost-effectiveness...
- Patterns of diffusion of evidence-based clinical programmes: a case study of the Hospital Elder Life ProgramElizabeth H Bradley
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8034, USA
Qual Saf Health Care 15:334-8. 2006..The effective translation of scientific evidence into clinical practice is paramount to improving the quality and safety of patient care. However, little is known about the patterns of diffusion of evidence-based programmes in healthcare...
- Geriatric syndromes: clinical, research, and policy implications of a core geriatric conceptSharon K Inouye
Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 55:780-91. 2007..National strategic initiatives are required to overcome barriers and to achieve clinical, research, and policy advances that will improve quality of life for older persons...
- Will older persons and their clinicians use a shared decision-making instrument?Aanand D Naik
Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
J Gen Intern Med 20:640-3. 2005..To examine experiences of older persons and their clinicians with shared decision making (SDM) and their willingness to use an SDM instrument...
- Effectiveness of acute geriatric units on functional decline, living at home, and case fatality among older patients admitted to hospital for acute medical disorders: meta-analysisJuan J Baztán
Department of Geriatrics, Hospital Central Cruz Roja, Madrid, Spain
BMJ 338:b50. 2009..To assess the effectiveness of acute geriatric units compared with conventional care units in adults aged 65 or more admitted to hospital for acute medical disorders...
- Transitions of Care Consensus Policy Statement American College of Physicians-Society of General Internal Medicine-Society of Hospital Medicine-American Geriatrics Society-American College of Emergency Physicians-Society of Academic Emergency MedicineVincenza Snow
American College of Physicians, 190 N Independence Mall West, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 24:971-6. 2009....
- Keeping granny safe on July 1: a consensus on minimum geriatrics competencies for graduating medical studentsRosanne M Leipzig
Brookdale Department of Geriatrics and Adult Development, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029 6574, USA
Acad Med 84:604-10. 2009..There are currently no geriatrics-specific, competency-based consensus performance standards for medical students...
- Effect of extracurricular geriatric medicine training: a model based on student reflections on healthcare delivery to elderly peopleLinda M Goldenhar
Office of Medical Education, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 56:548-52. 2008..One possible solution is to let students participate in geriatrics-related extracurricular educational and clinical activities and ask them to reflect on their experiences...
- Interdisciplinary collaboration in geriatrics: advancing health for older adultsHeather M Young
University of California Davis Health System, Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing, University of California, Davis, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Nurs Outlook 59:243-50. 2011..issues in caring for older adults, interdisciplinary collaboration is particularly salient to the field of geriatrics. However, despite interest in this approach for several decades, adoption has been slow and dissemination is not ..
- A thematic summary of the geriatrics curricula at 40 U S Medical schoolsM Brownell Anderson
Division of Medical Education Association of American Medical Colleges
Acad Med 79:S213-26. 2004
- Brief report: Brief instrument to assess geriatrics knowledge of surgical and medical subspecialty house officersBrent C Williams
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0429, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:490-3. 2006Initiatives are underway to increase geriatrics training in nonprimary care disciplines. However, no validated instrument exists to measure geriatrics knowledge of house officers in surgical specialties and medical subspecialties.
- Health care workforce development in rural america: when geriatrics expertise is 100 miles awayNina Tumosa
Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center GRECC, St Louis VA Medical Center, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Gerontol Geriatr Educ 33:133-51. 2012..Scholar Program (GSP) is a Department of Veterans Affairs' (VA) workforce development program to infuse geriatrics competencies in primary care...
- The effect of a 12-month longitudinal long-term care rotation on knowledge and attitudes of internal medicine residents about geriatricsElizabeth E Baum
Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine NEOUCOM, Affiliated Hospitals at Canton, Canton, OH 44708, USA
J Am Med Dir Assoc 8:105-9. 2007To determine if participation in a 12-month longitudinal long-term care (LTC) rotation resulted in improved knowledge and attitudes about geriatrics.
- Geriatric education for the physicians of tomorrowBarry D Weiss
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Arizona, College of Medicine, Tucson, AZ 85719, USA
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 49:S17-20. 2009..number of geriatricians to meet that need, largely because students and residents lack interest in a career in geriatrics. A variety of reasons have been suggested to explain that lack of interest, and several changes in geriatrics ..
- Geriatrics attitudes and knowledge among surgical and medical subspecialty house officersLewis P Krain
Department of Psychiatry, Ann Arbor Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 55:2056-60. 2007To examine geriatrics knowledge and attitudes of non-primary care house officers (HOs) before and after a multidisciplinary faculty development program.
- Health information technologies in geriatrics and gerontology: a mixed systematic reviewIsabelle Vedel
Department of Family Medicine, McGill University, Solidage Research Group on Frailty and Aging, Lady Davis Institute, Jewish General Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Am Med Inform Assoc 20:1109-19. 2013To review, categorize, and synthesize findings from the literature about the application of health information technologies in geriatrics and gerontology (GGHIT).
- Prevalence and outcomes of anemia in geriatrics: a systematic review of the literatureClaudia Beghe
Division of Geriatrics, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
Am J Med 116:3S-10S. 2004....
- The disappearing subject: exclusion of people with cognitive impairment and dementia from geriatrics researchJanelle S Taylor
Department of Anthropology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 60:413-9. 2012To evaluate exclusion of persons with cognitive impairment from research in geriatrics by determining its frequency, method, and rationale and treatment in the resulting publications.
- [Assessment of drug treatment in geriatrics with the new FORTA criteria]H Frohnhofen
Klinik für Geriatrie und Zentrum für Altersmedizin, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Knappschafts Krankenhaus, Akademisches Lehrkrankenhaus der Universität Duisburg Essen
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 136:1417-21. 2011..A new approach is the FORTA assessments system ( Fit f OR The Aged) in which drugs are graded as positive (A, should be given), intermediate (B or C), and negative (D should not be given)...
- [Geriatrics neglected in Swedish medical education. "The elderly paradox" requires a substantial effort]Johan Axelsson
Lakartidningen 103:3361-5. 2006
- [Geriatrics: an introduction from a gerontological point of view]A Simm
Klinik für Herz und Thoraxchirurgie, Interdisziplinäres Zentrum für Altern Halle IZAH, Universitätsklinikum Halle Saale, Martin Luther Universitat Halle Wittenberg
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 136:2549-53. 2011b>Geriatrics is in comparison to the other medical professions a relatively new discipline...
- Expert consensus of the French Society of Geriatrics and Gerontology and the French Society of Cardiology on the management of atrial fibrillation in elderly peopleOlivier Hanon
Société française de gériatrie et gérontologie, Suresnes, France AP HP, Hopital Broca, Service de Gerontologie, Paris, France
Arch Cardiovasc Dis 106:303-23. 2013..Antiarrhythmic drugs should be used carefully in elderly patients because of the frequency of metabolic abnormalities and higher risk of drug interactions and bradycardia...
- Practicing physician education in geriatrics: lessons learned from a train-the-trainer modelSharon A Levine
Geriatrics Section, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 55:1281-6. 2007....
- Geriatric syndromes: medical misnomer or progress in geriatrics?M G M Olde Rikkert
Department of Geriatrics 318, University Medical Centre St Radboud, PO Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Neth J Med 61:83-7. 2003..pathway, geriatric syndrome primarily refers to one symptom or a complex of symptoms with high prevalence in geriatrics, resulting from multiple diseases and multiple risk factors...
- An evaluation of a low-intensity intervention to introduce medical students to healthy older peopleMarie A Bernard
Donald W Reynolds Department of Geriatric Medicine, University of Oklahoma College of Medicine, 921 N E 13th 11G, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 51:419-23. 2003..once per semester for the first 2 preclinical years and to discuss these interviews in small groups mediated by geriatrics faculty. Members of the Class of 2001 were controls...
- Disciplinary split: a threat to geriatrics interdisciplinary team trainingDavid B Reuben
UCLA Multicampus Program in Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 52:1000-6. 2004..Others will require local and national efforts of leaders in the different disciplines to model and support good team care...
- The intersection of geriatrics and chronic kidney disease: frailty and disability among older adults with kidney diseaseWendy L Cook
Department of Medicine, Division of Geriatrics, University of British Columbia and St Paul s Hospital, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Adv Chronic Kidney Dis 16:420-9. 2009..Further work is needed to characterize the relationship between kidney disease and frailty and to identify opportunities to intervene...
- Mi Casa o Su Casa? Assessing function and values in the homeAnnette Medina-Walpole
Department of Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:336-42. 2005..The authors sought to incorporate geriatrics, primary care, and palliative care into house calls for medical students by integrating a home visit experience ..
- Advocating vaccination of adults aged 60 years and older in Western Europe: statement by the Joint Vaccine Working Group of the European Union Geriatric Medicine Society and the International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics-European RegionJean Pierre Michel
Department of Rehabilitation and Geriatrics, Geneva Medical School and Univeristy Hospitals, Thonex Geneve, Switzerland
Rejuvenation Res 12:127-35. 2009..societies (European Union Geriatric Medicine Society [EUGMS] and International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics-European Region [IAGG-ER]) convened a Joint Vaccine Working Group to develop a consensus document advocating ..
- A prospective controlled trial of the influence of a geriatrics home visit program on medical student knowledge, skills, and attitudes towards care of the elderlyGerald D Denton
Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Gen Intern Med 24:599-605. 2009To determine the impact of a geriatrics home visit program for third-year medical students on attitudes, skills, and knowledge.
- Medical student perspectives on geriatrics and geriatric educationAnita S Bagri
Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center, Bruce W Carter Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Miami, Florida, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 58:1994-9. 2010To ascertain medical students' perspectives on geriatrics.
- Caring for older Americans: the future of geriatric medicineRichard Besdine
American Geriatrics Society, 350 Fifth Avenue, Suite 801, New York, NY 10118, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:S245-56. 2005..The American Geriatrics Society (AGS) Task Force on the Future of Geriatric Medicine has identified five goals aimed at optimizing the ..
- A systematic look at an old problemThomas B L Kirkwood
Centre for Integrated Systems Biology of Ageing and Nutrition, Institute for Ageing and Health, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Nature 451:644-7. 2008
- Chiropractic and geriatrics: a review of the training, role, and scope of chiropractic in caring for aging patientsLisa Zaynab Killinger
Palmer Center for Chiropractic Research, 741 Brady Street, Davenport, IA 52803, USA
Clin Geriatr Med 20:223-35. 2004....
- Integration of geriatrics in oncology training--the relationship between the academic center and the communityS M Lichtman
Department of Medicine, North Shore University Hospital, New York University School of Medicine, Manhasset 11030, USA
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 33:57-9. 2000..Integration of geriatric and medical oncology training would be an important step in this process. This paper discusses various aspects of a combined educational proposal...
- Activating the knowledge-to-action cycle for geriatric care in IndiaJenna M Evans
Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation, University of Toronto, 155 College Street, Suite 425, Toronto, ON M5T 3M6, Canada
Health Res Policy Syst 9:42. 2011Despite a rapidly aging population, geriatrics--the branch of medicine that focuses on healthcare of the elderly--is relatively new in India, with many practicing physicians having little knowledge of the clinical and functional ..
- Introduction: Older adults in medical education--senior mentor programs in U. S. medical schoolsThomas Stewart
Division of Geriatrics, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, USA
Gerontol Geriatr Educ 27:3-10. 2006
- The Senior Mentor Program at the University of South Carolina School of Medicine: an innovative geriatric longitudinal curriculumEllen Roberts
University of North Carolina School of Medicine, OED, 322 MacNider Hall, CB 7530, Chapel Hill, NC, 27599 7530, USA
Gerontol Geriatr Educ 27:11-23. 2006..The University of South Carolina School of Medicine's major aim in geriatrics is to prepare students to become skilled physicians in care of older adults...
- The Medical College of Wisconsin Senior Mentor Program: experience of a lifetimeTovah Bates
Center for Healthy Communities, Department of Family and Community Medicine, 8701 Watertown Plank Road, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Gerontol Geriatr Educ 27:93-103. 2006..The goals of the course are to increase positive attitudes about aging and geriatrics and to teach basic assessment and interviewing skills in geriatric content areas...
- Influence of medical education on students' attitudes towards the elderlyMustafa Cankurtaran
Division of Geriatric Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Hacettepe University, Sihhiye, Ankara, Turkey
J Natl Med Assoc 98:1518-22. 2006..Geriatric education in developing countries needs more attention because the students' attitudes towards elderly and caregiver preference are mostly affected by the students' own experiences and knowledge...
- Care transitions by older adults from nursing homes to hospitals: implications for long-term care practice, geriatrics education, and researchLouise M Murray
Department of Educational Leadership, College of Education, University of North Carolina Charlotte, 9201 University City Boulevard, Charlotte, NC 28223 0001, USA
J Am Med Dir Assoc 11:231-8. 2010..risk of potentially avoidable hospitalization, and promoting an interdisciplinary resident-centered approach in geriatrics education...
- Attitudes of first-year medical students in Singapore towards older people and willingness to consider a career in geriatric medicineMelvin P W Chua
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Changi General Hospital, Singapore
Ann Acad Med Singapore 37:947-51. 2008..This study determined medical students' attitudes towards older people and their willingness to consider a career in Geriatric Medicine...
- The geriatric patient: use of acute geriatrics units in the emergency care of elderly patients in FranceD Somme
Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, Geriatrics Department, 20 40 rue Leblanc, 75015 Paris, France
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 52:40-5. 2011We studied the factors influencing the choice of admission to Geriatrics units, instead of other acute hospital units after an emergency visit...
- Mindfulness: reconnecting the body and mind in geriatric medicine and gerontologyW Jack Rejeski
Departments of Health and Exercise Science and Public Health Science, Box 7868, Wake Forest University, Winston Salem, NC 27109, USA
Gerontologist 48:135-41. 2008..In the final section I discuss why mindfulness may be particularly useful in promoting physical activity among older adults and how physical activity may be used as a vehicle to promote mindfulness...
- Attitudes, experiences, and interest in geriatrics of first-year allopathic and osteopathic medical studentsShannon J Voogt
Allopathic Program, College of Human Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48864, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 56:339-44. 2008..Interest in geriatrics was measured using a 4-point scale. Overall, students expressed positive attitudes toward older adults...
- Geriatrics and physical medicine and rehabilitation: common principles, complementary approaches, and 21st century demographicsDale C Strasser
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 83:1323-4. 2002..In this commentary, we argue that geriatrics and physical medicine and rehabilitation (PM&R) share common principles and complementary approaches...
- An introduction to geriatrics for first-year medical studentsC L Alford
Department of Family and Community Medicine, Division of Community Geriatrics, The University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 49:782-7. 2001OBJECTIVE: To prepare medical students to better serve their older patients while raising awareness of geriatrics as a career choice...
- Web-based training in geriatrics for medical residents: a randomized controlled trial using standardized patients to assess outcomesGlenda R Westmoreland
Department of Medicine, Indiana University, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 58:1163-9. 2010..is an educational tool that medical residents readily accept and can be used to improve knowledge of core geriatrics content as measured using immediate posttesting...
- Psychiatric diagnosis in the elderly referred to a consultation-liaison psychiatry service in a general geriatric hospital in JapanKenshi Yamada
Department of Psychiatry, Tokyo Metropolitan Geriatric Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Geriatr Gerontol Int 12:304-9. 2012..Because depression is a common disorder in later life, elderly patients with delirium can be misdiagnosed as having depression. This study aimed to compare psychiatric diagnoses in the elderly made by referring doctors and psychiatrists...
- Transitions of Care Consensus policy statement: American College of Physicians, Society of General Internal Medicine, Society of Hospital Medicine, American Geriatrics Society, American College Of Emergency Physicians, and Society for Academic Emergency MVincenza Snow
American College of Physicians, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19106, USA
J Hosp Med 4:364-70. 2009....
- Models, definitions, and criteria of frailtyDavid B Hogan
Division of Geriatric Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Aging Clin Exp Res 15:1-29. 2003
- Geriatric assessment for oncologists: rationale and future directionsArti Hurria
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 59:211-7. 2006..Our eventual goal is to determine if this geriatric assessment measure can identify factors independent of age that predict cancer treatment morbidity and mortality and result in rationale interventions to optimize oncologic care...
- Geriatrics and the IOM: did report forget the elderly?Eric Berger
Ann Emerg Med 48:723-5. 2006
- Medical care for the final years of life: "When you're 83, it's not going to be 20 years"David B Reuben
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Department of Medicine, Division of Geriatrics, 10945 Le Conte Ave, Ste 2339, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1687, USA
JAMA 302:2686-94. 2009..Systematic approaches, including team care, are needed to adequately manage chronic diseases and coordinate care...
- [What's new in geriatric oncology?]Catherine Terret
Programme d oncogériatrie, Centre Leon Berard, 28 rue Laennec, 69373 Lyon Cedex 08
Bull Cancer 93:119-23. 2006..This paper focuses on progress observed in the field of geriatric oncology both in France and worldwide...
- [Comprehensive geriatric medicine]Hidetoshi Endo
National Center for Gemiatrics and Gerontology, Department of Comprehensive Geriatric Medicine, Divectorf
Nihon Ronen Igakkai Zasshi 41:375-7. 2004This paper is written to make clear the new medical system in the elderly and to standardize of Geriatrics and care...
- ESPEN Guidelines on Enteral Nutrition: GeriatricsD Volkert
Head Medical Science Division, Pfrimmer Nutricia, Erlangen, Germany
Clin Nutr 25:330-60. 2006..Altogether, it is strongly recommended not to wait until severe undernutrition has developed, but to start EN therapy early, as soon as a nutritional risk becomes apparent...
- Priorities in perioperative geriatricsDavid J Cook
Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Anesth Analg 96:1823-36. 2003
- Health care for older Americans with multiple chronic conditions: a research agendaSusan L Norris
Department of Medical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 56:149-59. 2008....
- Geriatric care management for low-income seniors: a randomized controlled trialSteven R Counsell
Indiana University Center for Aging Research, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
JAMA 298:2623-33. 2007..Low-income seniors frequently have multiple chronic medical conditions for which they often fail to receive the recommended standard of care...
- Use of comprehensive geriatric assessment in older cancer patients: recommendations from the task force on CGA of the International Society of Geriatric Oncology (SIOG)Martine Extermann
H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, 12902 Magnolia Drive, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 55:241-52. 2005..As more and more cancers occur in elderly people, oncologists are increasingly confronted with the necessity of integrating geriatric parameters in the treatment of their patients...
- Antiaging medicine and mild cognitive impairment: practice and policy issues for geriatricsPeter J Whitehouse
Department of Neurology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44120, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:1417-22. 2005..Antiaging medicine is the current leader of approaches that even claim that geriatrics as a discipline will become increasingly unnecessary...
- Changing medical students' attitudes about older adults and future older patientsCarolyn K Shue
University of Missouri Kansas City School of Medicine, 2411 Holmes, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
Acad Med 80:S6-9. 2005..This study presents outcomes of a mentors-on-aging program designed to promote positive attitudes toward older adults and older patients among medical students...
- Geriatric consultation: is there a future?Len Gray
Age Ageing 36:1-2. 2007
- Geriatrics in Brazil: a big country with big opportunitiesLuiz E Garcez-Leme
Department of Orthopedics, Orthogeriatrics, Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:2018-22. 2005..Although the challenges remain great, there are opportunities for Brazilian geriatrics and gerontology.
- Ten years' experience conducting the Aging Game workshop: was it worth it?James T Pacala
Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 54:144-9. 2006..Despite consuming significant personnel resources, the Minnesota version of the Aging Game is an effective tool for stimulating long-lasting awareness and understanding of key issues related to aging and geriatrics.
- Why palliative care needs geriatricsRobert M Arnold
School of Medicine, Section of Palliative Care and Medical Ethics, Institute to Enhance Palliative Care, University of Pittsburgh, 200 Lothrop Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Palliat Med 10:182-3. 2007
- [Health policies for older adults: thoughts for action]Pedro Paulo Marin
Centro de Geriatría y Gerontología UC, Chile
Rev Med Chil 135:392-8. 2007..of the older population; outpatient health care services; acute care in hospitals with physicians trained in geriatrics; special services for geriatric rehabilitation and restoration of function (short term care) and a variety of ..
- Interest in geriatric medicine in Canada: how can we secure a next generation of geriatricians?Laura L Diachun
Southwestern Ontario Regional Geriatric Program, London, Ontario, Canada
J Am Geriatr Soc 54:512-9. 2006In Canada, there is minimal training of geriatrics for physicians, a shortage of geriatricians, and extremely low numbers of students entering geriatrics...
- Update in geriatricsWilliam J Hall
Department of Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Ann Intern Med 145:538-43. 2006
- The Aging Game: improving medical students' attitudes toward caring for the elderlyPrathibha Varkey
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Am Med Dir Assoc 7:224-9. 2006....
- Introduction to the older patient: a "first exposure" to geriatrics for medical studentsRonald D Adelman
Division of Geriatrics and Gerontology, Department of Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 55:1445-50. 2007..This approach to introducing the older patient may be of use at other medical schools. Future studies will need to evaluate the long-term effect of this educational intervention...
- From Bedside to Bench: summary from the American Geriatrics Society/National Institute on Aging Research Conference on Comorbidity and Multiple Morbidity in Older AdultsCynthia M Boyd
Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Aging Clin Exp Res 20:181-8. 2008..We report on the 2005 American Geriatrics Society/National Institute on Aging conference on Comorbid Disease and Multiple Morbidity in an Aging Society...
- Interdisciplinary care for older adults with complex needs: American Geriatrics Society position statementLorraine Mion
American Geriatrics Society, The Empire State Building, 350 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10118, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 54:849-52. 2006
- Comparative Resistance Exercise Effects on Knee Osteoarthritis Pain, Functional IKEVIN ROBERT VINCENT; Fiscal Year: 2013..The primary mentor is Dr. Christiaan Leeuwenburgh, from the Department of Aging and Geriatrics. The Co-mentors are Drs. Scott banks and Steven Ghvizzani. Dr...
- Characterizing TLR Function of Human Dendritic Cells in the ElderlyAlexander Panda; Fiscal Year: 2012..by a Mentorship Advisory Committee composed of leaders in immunology (Peter Cresswell and Ruslan Medzhitov), geriatrics (Mary Tinetti), and clinical epidemiology and biostatistics (Heather Allore) at Yale...
- A rational approach to liver toxicity monitoring in methotrexate usersGabriela Schmajuk; Fiscal Year: 2013..have access to a rich research environment, including the UCSF Arthritis Research Group and the San Francisco VA Geriatrics division, with their respective "work-in-progress" seminars, biostatisticians, and large faculties with similar ..
- Geriatric Conditions and Disablement in the Older Adult PopulationChristine T Cigolle; Fiscal Year: 2013..Medical School, with appointments in the Institute of Gerontology (UM) and the VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System Geriatrics Research, Education and Clinical Center (GRECC)...
- Multi-Organ Autonomic Electrophysiology in Parkinson DiseaseSamay Jain; Fiscal Year: 2013..utilizes resources available with mentors, consultants and coursework in the areas of neurology, physiology, geriatrics, pharmacology and biostatistics...
- Predictors of Immunologic Failure in Older AdultsDavid H Canaday; Fiscal Year: 2012..In the last decade Geriatrics researchers have developed, refined, and validated a concept of frailty...
- TSQ Vantage Bundle with Acquity UltraPerformance LCNicolaas E Deutz; Fiscal Year: 2010..Reynolds Department of Geriatrics, UAMS), jointly have >50 years expertise interpreting the results of these and related metabolite ..
- Comparative effectiveness of Brain Imaging and Blood Biomarkers in Alzheimer??s dOrly Lazarov; Fiscal Year: 2010..Little and Dr. X. Joe Zhou);Diagnosis of Alzheimer's patients with specialty in Neurology and Geriatrics (Dr. Pedalty and Dr...
- The Biology of Exercise, Metabolism and AgingAndrew P Goldberg; Fiscal Year: 2013..with resources for clinical and basic science research, and didactic courses and seminars in gerontology and geriatrics, biostatistics, research ethics and scientific writing...
- Toward personalized diabetes care: Understanding hypoglycemia in older adultsKASIA JOANNA LIPSKA; Fiscal Year: 2013..The candidate's career goal is to become an independent clinical investigator in the field of diabetes and geriatrics, generating knowledge to help guide personalized diabetes treatment...
- Behavioral therapy to treat urinary symptoms in Parkinson's diseaseELIZABETH CAMILLE VAUGHAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..Mentors include: Theodore M. Johnson, II, MD, MPH (Primary, geriatrics), Kathryn L. Burgio, PhD (behavioral psychology), and Jorge L. Juncos, MD (movement disorders)...
- The Psychosocial &Genetic Basis of Estrogen Metabolism &Blood Pressure in AgingCHRISTOPHER MAURICE MASI; Fiscal Year: 2011..Completion of these aims, as well as mentorship by Dr. Cacioppo and additional training in psychology, geriatrics, endocrinology, vascular biology, and genetics, will ensure the PI develops into an independent clinician ..
- Coordinated Telehealth Care Program for Rural Elders with Congestive Heart FailurHongtu Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Health Group is collaborating with the Reynolds Institute Center on Aging (RICOA) and the Reynolds Department of Geriatrics at the University of Arkansas Medical School, one the largest academic geriatric medicine programs in the ..
- Clinico-Genomic Assessment of Performance Status in Elderly AML PatientsArati V Rao; Fiscal Year: 2013..in Internal Medicine at Duke University followed by dual fellowship training in both Medical Oncology and Geriatrics at Duke University...
- The Predictors and Long-Term Trajectory of Poststroke Cognitive DeclineDeborah Levine; Fiscal Year: 2013..the measurement of cognitive outcomes;3) patient treatment adherence and chronic illness interventions;and 4) geriatrics and stroke care...
- Physical, Cognitive and Mental Health in Social ContextMichael Marsiske; Fiscal Year: 2013..The purpose of this program, consistent with the chief goal of gerontology/geriatrics, is to train predoctoral researchers in strategies related to: (a) identifyig potential antecedents of ..
- Pittsburgh Pelvic Floor Research ProgramHalina M Zyczynski; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our site brings expertise in urogynecology, physical therapy, geriatrics, urology, gastroenterology and mental health...
- Hearing Loss and AgingFrank R Lin; Fiscal Year: 2013..Dr. Lin will enhance his research knowledge and skills with coursework in geriatrics and biostatistics, receive directed mentorship by an interdisciplinary team of experienced clinical researchers, ..
- Vitamin D and Immunosenescence in Older Long-Term Care ResidentsAdit A Ginde; Fiscal Year: 2013..Summary: This innovative research plan;strong mentorship from geriatrics, infectious disease, immunology, and vaccine experts;and proposed career development experience will help Dr...
- Interdisciplinary Training in Pathobiology and Rehabilitation MedicineMarcas M Bamman; Fiscal Year: 2013..physiology, physical medicine &rehabilitation, neurology, cell biology, pathology, genetics, cardiology, geriatrics), Health Professions (physical therapy, occupational therapy, and nutrition sciences), Public Health (..
- A Transdisciplinary Approach to Engage Specialty Investigators in Aging ResearchKevin P High; Fiscal Year: 2013..in Aim 1 as a vehicle, ASP will build on this work in Aim 2, to focus more broadly on raising the profile of geriatrics and gerontology in key disciplines by engaging with vital researchers in each specialty as well as rising junior ..
- Kidney Function and AgingLesley Ann Inker; Fiscal Year: 2012..data collection and human subjects research, and to expand the candidate's kidney function and clinical geriatrics knowledge base...
- Technology to Assess Vulnerable Older Adults with Cancer and Their CaregiversArti Hurria; Fiscal Year: 2013..This proposal utilizes technology to unite the fields of geriatrics and oncology...
- Age associated defects in localization and trafficking of Toll-like receptor 1Alexander Panda; Fiscal Year: 2013..qualified mentors, and with guidance by a Mentorship Advisory Committee composed of leaders in immunology, geriatrics, and clinical epidemiology and biostatistics...
- AGS Guiding Principles for the Care of Older Adults with Multimorbidity: A MobileNancy Lundebjerg; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The American Geriatrics Society (AGS) is requesting support from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality to develop and disseminate the Multimorbidity Guiding Principles App (MGP app) that is ..
- METABOLISM, ENDOCRINOLOGY AND OBESITY TRAINING GRANTShalendar Bhasin; Fiscal Year: 2012..Training will take place in the sections of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Nutrition, Molecular Medicine, Geriatrics and Cardiology in the Department of Medicine, and the departments of Biochemistry and Biophysics-Physiology, the ..
- Epidemiology and Development of Alzheimer's Disease (EDAD)David Kevin Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2013..best practices for clinical research that will assess 300 older adult Costa Ricans in the national hospital for geriatrics in San Jose and in two rural hospitals...
- Aging and The Renin-Angiotensin System in Elderly Hypertensive IndividualsIhab M Hajjar; Fiscal Year: 2011..Lewis Lipsitz and a multidisciplinary (geriatrics, hypertension, neuropsychology, biostatistics, genetics, endocrinology, and gerontology) advisory committee;..
- Primary Care Practice Redesign - Successful StrategiesMichael K Magill; Fiscal Year: 2010..The team includes developers of CBD, clinician specialists in geriatrics and pharmacy practice, members with expertise in quality improvement, biostatistics, qualitative research, ..
- K07 Leadership GrantSharon K Inouye; Fiscal Year: 2013..Rehabilitation Center, bringing together world-renowned resources in clinical-translational research, geriatrics/gerontology, and superb interdisciplinary expertise and resources to support the program, which will stimulate ..
- Statistical Methods to Correct for Proxy Bias in Studies of Older AdultsMICHELLE DENISE SHARDELL; Fiscal Year: 2013..with mentors;participation at seminars, workshops, and professional conferences;and exposure to clinical geriatrics settings by shadowing clinician-researchers...
- Risks of Warfarin for Elders with Atrial FibrillationMargaret C Fang; Fiscal Year: 2010..She will obtain training in clinical geriatrics through enrolling in the UCSF Core Geriatrics Curriculum...
- Physician Screening of Older Drivers: Decision Rules for Geriatric Injury PreventMARIAN ELIZABETH BETZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..Robert Schwartz, a leading researcher in geriatrics with a long track record of mentoring) and co-mentors in Driving (Dr...
- Risk Stratification in Older Persons with Acute Myocardial Infarction: SILVER-AMISarwat I Chaudhry; Fiscal Year: 2013..This proposal will address these gaps by melding principles from geriatrics and cardiology to create post-AMI risk models specifically designed for older patients...
- Midcareer Mentoring Award for Patient Oriented Research in Geriatric CardiologyMathew S Maurer; Fiscal Year: 2013..systolic function and a successful record in mentoring residents, cardiology fellows and junior faculty in geriatrics and cardiology...
- Neuroimaging Biomarkers for Post-Operative Cognitive Decline in Older AdultsCATHERINE E PRICE; Fiscal Year: 2013..These aims will be carried out by a multidisciplinary team with expertise in neuropsychology, geriatrics, dementia, post-operative cognitive dysfunction, anesthesiology, and orthopedic surgery...
- A Multidimensional Approach to Urogenital Aging in Older WomenAlison Huang; Fiscal Year: 2013..With the support of experienced mentors in both geriatrics and women's health, the candidate will also pursue advanced training in geriatric medicine and geriatrics-..
- Clostridium difficile Cooperative Research CenterVincent B Young; Fiscal Year: 2013..microbial ecology, immunology, human genetics, infectious diseases, bioinformatics, clinical medicine and geriatrics. To leverage the expertise of the assembled team, their current research interests and past research ..
- Medical Student Training in Aging and Injury ResearchLinda N Meurer; Fiscal Year: 2013..institutional summer research program infrastructure, and strong collaborations with Internal Medicine's Geriatrics and Gerontology Division, the Departments of Family and Community Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Trauma Surgery ..
- Biomarkers for Early Therapeutic Response in Older RA PatientsVeena K Ranganath; Fiscal Year: 2013..5-year training program for the development of an academic career in rheumatology, with a special focus in geriatrics. This principal investigator has shown her firm commitment to an academic career in her specific field of study, ..
- Longitudinal Impact of Antihypertensive Polypharmacy on Geriatric SyndromesJoseph T Hanlon; Fiscal Year: 2010..Studies of the effects of polypharmacy on health, disease, and disability in older persons are a priority research area for the NIA Geriatrics and Clinical Gerontology Program.
- The Role of Ankyrin-B Mutations in Premature SenescenceKENT RONALD NILSSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..division of cardiology has been at the forefront of basic, translational, and clinical research, the division of geriatrics has established itself as one of the preeminent geriatrics programs in the country...
- Predicting Acute Brain Dysfunction in Older Patients: A Quality Improvement ToolEduard E Vasilevskis; Fiscal Year: 2013..biostatistics, and bioinformatics, b) participation in local / national meetings to develop expertise in geriatrics, predictive modeling, and quality improvement, c) a multidisciplinary mentored research experience, and d) a ..
- Cognition In Older Breast Cancer Survivors: Treatment Exposure, APOE, &SmokingArti Hurria; Fiscal Year: 2013..The objective of this application is to unite the fields of geriatrics, neuropsychology, oncology, and genetics to study the prevalence and trajectory of cognitive impairment in a ..
- Determinants of fall-related bleeding among older adults with atrial fibrillationJohn A Dodson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Dr. Mary Tinetti, professor and chair of Geriatrics at Yale University School of Medicine, and Dr...
- TRAINING OF ARTHRITIS RESEARCH SCIENTISTSDAVID ALAN FOX; Fiscal Year: 2013..are in the Division of Rheumatology, nine in other Departments or Divisions, and one in both Rheumatology and Geriatrics. The areas of scientific expertise represented include immunology and inflammation, cell and molecular biology, ..
- Aging Systems in Geriatrics: the Male Gonadal AxisJohannes D Veldhuis; Fiscal Year: 2013..Unraveling the bases of androgen depletion in the aging male should spark new preventive strategies to obviate failure of anabolic drive, and thus preserve quality of life and function in older individuals. ..
- PRE- AND POSTDOCTORAL TRAINING IN BIOCHEMISTRY OF AGINGPETER RUDOLPH POLGAR; Fiscal Year: 2012..The teaching and clinical strengths of the Geriatrics Section of the Department of Medicine and the ADCC add to the program by instructing the trainees in the social ..
- Safety of Opioids for Older Adults: Determinants of Opioid Overdose RiskAmy S B Bohnert; Fiscal Year: 2013..S. A special panel for the American Geriatrics Society published guidelines in 2009 that recommended using opioids as a first line treatment of moderate to ..
- Effects of Practice Redesign on Falls Health Outcomes and CostsDavid B Reuben; Fiscal Year: 2012..The study will be guided by an Advisory Panel consisting national experts in falls interventions, geriatrics, and quality improvement...
- Sexuality, Aging and Heart Disease: Translating from Population to PatientStacy Tessler Lindau; Fiscal Year: 2012..new, training, skills and research experience, including mentored training in clinical cardiology and geriatrics, clinical trials design and implementation, comorbidity and disease severity adjustment, risk stratification ..
- A randomized trial to improve surrogate decision-making for critically ill eldersDouglas B White; Fiscal Year: 2011..The candidate has assembled a team of accomplished mentors with expertise in geriatrics, critical care medicine, nursing, communication sciences and medical decision-making...
- Early CSF detection of FTLDWILLIAM TZU LUNG HU; Fiscal Year: 2013..formal training in biostatistics, bioinformatics, analytical chemistry, quality control, clinical trial design, geriatrics, and responsible conduct of research...
- Functional, Cognitive, and Social Vulnerabilities and Hospital ReadmissionSCOTT RYAN GREYSEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..qualitative techniques (4) to develop leadership in health policy at the intersection of hospital medicine and geriatrics. To achieve these goals, Dr...
- Mechanisms of health disparities in parkinsonismNabila Dahodwala; Fiscal Year: 2013..As part of the education plan, the PI proposes to: 1) Increase her understanding of health behavior theory, geriatrics and health disparities;2) Gain additional epidemiological skills in study design and health measurement;and 3) ..
- Ambulatory BP, kidney function, cognitive &physical function in older adultsDENA EVETTE RIFKIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..She plans to develop her skills in patient recruitment, epidemiology, geriatrics, and health services during the term of the award and develop into an independent researcher in patient-oriented ..
- Breaking the Cycle of Poverty Among Seniors and Their Family CaregiversMelissa Andrea Simon; Fiscal Year: 2012..interventions and health disparities research and her team of collaborators'long standing expertise in geriatrics, palliative care, and health economics...
- Predictors of Cognitive Impairment in Survivors of Critical IllnessTimothy D Girard; Fiscal Year: 2013..Through an integrated program of didactic activities and course work in geriatrics, clinical and molecular epidemiology, and neuropsychology;intensive mentorship by local experts;and hands-on ..
- U C San Diego Medical Student Summer Aging Research TrainingDilip V Jeste; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, a combination of didactics and clinical exposure to geriatrics will reinforce the skills learned in the direct research experience...
- Atrial fibrillation, functional decline, and arrhythmia detection in older adultsJared W Magnani; Fiscal Year: 2013..study examining subclinical AF in a cohort of home-bound older adults selected from the Boston University Geriatrics Home-Care Program (mean age 84.2, 54% African American)...
- The Illumina iScan SystemKathleen C Barnes; Fiscal Year: 2010..campus contains the Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center Hospital, the Hopkins Asthma and Allergy Center and Geriatrics Center, the renovated Baltimore City hospital containing 60,000 square feet of renovated research laboratories, ..
- Non-cancer pain and cognitive impairment: A disabling relationshipJoseph W Shega; Fiscal Year: 2012..He seeks to apply this paradigm to palliative care and geriatrics populations particularly those with cognitive impairment...
- Non-intrusive Locomotion and Gait Stability Analysis Monitoring System for the ElSunil Saxena; Fiscal Year: 2007..It is fully responsive to topic areas identified as high-priority by the NIA, specifically the Geriatrics and Clinical Gerontology Program, in the 2006 Omnibus Solicitation...
- Donepezil-enhanced management of delirium in aged hip fracture patientsEdward Marcantonio; Fiscal Year: 2007..With NIH support, we designed and rigorously tested a model of proactive multifactorial geriatrics consultation that reduced the incidence of delirium by over one-third, and severe delirium by one-half...
- Recommendations of Inpatient Geriatrics ConsultationMichael Weiner; Fiscal Year: 2007..As Assistant Professor in the Division of General Internal Medicine and Geriatrics in the Department of Medicine at Indiana University (IU) and Scientist in The Regenstrief Institute for Health ..
- Geriatricweb: The Geriatric Digital Library ProjectIhab Hajjar; Fiscal Year: 2002..Quality and accessibility are the main limitations for the Internet use in these areas. The division of Geriatrics at the University of South Carolina School of Medicine (USC-SOM) provides education and faculty development at ..
- Facility renovation to expand mouse barrier spaceLINDA TOTH; Fiscal Year: 2005..NIH-funded research initiatives of the Southern Illinois University School of Medicine in areas of cancer, geriatrics, neuroscience, immunology, and infectious disease...
- PPARgamma: Biomarker for Breast Cancer in Older WomenPearl Seo; Fiscal Year: 2009..Her work towards this goal included training in Geriatrics and Medical Oncology and a Masters of Public Health degree...
- CLINICAL RESEARCH CENTER STUDY OF SENILE DEMENTIAJerome Yesavage; Fiscal Year: 1992This Center is a multi-disciplinary study of Alzheimer's Disease (AD). Our broadly based resources in geriatrics permit us to study AD patients from several perspectives...
- NIA DEVELOPMENT AWARD PAIN AND DELIRIUM IN HIP FRACTURER Morrison; Fiscal Year: 2002Dr. Morrison's interest in quality of life issues at the end-of-life has led him to focus on palliative care and geriatrics. Merging these two areas, his clinical and research work suggest that pain symptoms tend to be overlooked in ..
- LONG TERM ADMINISTRATION OF TESTOSTERONE IN ELDERLY MENRandall Urban; Fiscal Year: 1999..Elderly men (age 60+ yr) will be recruited from 3 sources, the Geriatrics outpatient clinic, a registry of elderly volunteers maintained by the Geriatrics Division at the University of ..
- PACIFIC GENETIC EPIDEMIOLOGIC STUDY ON AGINGJ Curb; Fiscal Year: 2002..and develop a new genetic network [the Pacific Genetic (PacGen) Network] of experts in genetics, epidemiology, geriatrics, biostatistics and environmental science from the University of Hawaii, Kuakini Medical Center, Queen's Medical ..
- Herpes Zoster and Medications in the ElderlyKenneth Schmader; Fiscal Year: 2005..geriatrician in order to further develop his research and mentoring skills, generate new knowledge in clinical geriatrics and develop other clinical investigators in geriatrics...
- Understanding and Implementing End of Life PreferencesELIZABETH VIG; Fiscal Year: 2006..goal by completing a Master's degree in Public Health, and by obtaining funding through a Pfizer/American Geriatrics Society Postdoctoral Fellowship to fund her initial research project...
- Characterizing Human Exceptional LongevityThomas T Perls; Fiscal Year: 2010..The applicant, Dr. Thomas Perls, is an Associate Professor of Medicine and Geriatrics and Founder and Director of the New England Centenarian Study...