Genomes and Genes
Summary: Field of medicine concerned with the determination of causes, incidence, and characteristic behavior of disease outbreaks affecting human populations. It includes the interrelationships of host, agent, and environment as related to the distribution and control of disease.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications294 found, 100 shown here
- Partnerships in international applied epidemiology training and service, 1975-2001M E White
Epidemiology Program Office, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Am J Epidemiol 154:993-9. 2001..By January 2001, an additional 28 applied epidemiology and training programs (AETPs) had been implemented around the globe (with over 945 graduates and 420 persons ..
- Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology: a proposal for reporting. Meta-analysis Of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (MOOSE) groupD F Stroup
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
JAMA 283:2008-12. 2000..A workshop was held in Atlanta, Ga, in April 1997, to examine the reporting of meta-analyses of observational studies and to make recommendations to aid authors, reviewers, editors, and readers...
- Global data for ecology and epidemiology: a novel algorithm for temporal Fourier processing MODIS dataJorn P W Scharlemann
Spatial Ecology and Epidemiology Group, Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 3:e1408. 2008..Applying standard techniques to MODIS data can introduce errors of up to 30% in the estimation of the amplitudes and phases of the Fourier harmonics...
- Current status and future prospects of epidemiology and public health training and research in the WHO African regionJean B Nachega
Department of Medicine and Centre for Infectious Diseases, Stellenbosch University, Cape Town, South Africa
Int J Epidemiol 41:1829-46. 2012To date little has been published about epidemiology and public health capacity (training, research, funding, human resources) in WHO/AFRO to help guide future planning by various stakeholders.
- Molecular pathological epidemiology of epigenetics: emerging integrative science to analyze environment, host, and diseaseShuji Ogino
Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Mod Pathol 26:465-84. 2013..factors, cellular molecular characteristics, and disease evolution, the field of 'molecular pathological epidemiology (MPE)' has emerged as an interdisciplinary integration of 'molecular pathology' and 'epidemiology'...
- Investing in African research training institutions creates sustainable capacity for Africa: the case of the University of the Witwatersrand School of Public Health masters programme in epidemiology and biostatisticsRonel Kellerman
School of Public Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Health Res Policy Syst 10:11. 2012..A 1998 3-year investment by the Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases (TDR) in research training at the School of Public Health, University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa was reviewed to assess its' impact...
- Epidemiology in Latin America and the Caribbean: current situation and challengesSandhi M Barreto
Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Brazil
Int J Epidemiol 41:557-71. 2012..It integrates the series commissioned by the International Epidemiological Association to all WHO Regions to identify global opportunities to promote the development of epidemiology.
- History of the Rochester Epidemiology Project: half a century of medical records linkage in a US populationWalter A Rocca
Division of Epidemiology, Department of Health Sciences Research, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 87:1202-13. 2012The Rochester Epidemiology Project (REP) has maintained a comprehensive medical records linkage system for nearly half a century for almost all persons residing in Olmsted County, Minnesota...
- EpiCollect: linking smartphones to web applications for epidemiology, ecology and community data collectionDavid M Aanensen
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 4:e6968. 2009....
- Causation and causal inference in epidemiologyKenneth J Rothman
Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Public Health 95:S144-50. 2005..Causal inference in epidemiology is better viewed as an exercise in measurement of an effect rather than as a criterion-guided process for ..
- The Framingham Heart Study and the epidemiology of cardiovascular disease: a historical perspectiveSyed S Mahmood
Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Lancet 383:999-1008. 2014..During this period, the study has provided substantial insight into the epidemiology and risk factors of cardiovascular disease...
- Prostate cancer epidemiologyAnn W Hsing
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20852 7234, USA
Front Biosci 11:1388-413. 2006..Results of these studies may lead to better detection, treatment, and, ultimately, prevention of prostate cancer...
- Epidemiology of atrial fibrillation: a current perspectiveLin Y Chen
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Heart Rhythm 4:S1-6. 2007..Ethnic differences in the epidemiology of AF have been suggested but not clearly elucidated by population-based studies...
- Causal criteria in nutritional epidemiologyN Potischman
National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 69:1309S-1314S. 1999..Recommendations should make clear their breadth of application; a narrow recommendation involves a single disease or condition whereas a broad recommendation involves all relevant diseases or conditions...
- Linking the population epidemiology of acute renal failure, chronic kidney disease and end-stage renal diseaseChi yuan Hsu
Division of Nephrology, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0532, USA
Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 16:221-6. 2007
- Malignant tumors in two ancient populations: An approach to historical tumor epidemiologyAndreas G Nerlich
Institut fur Pathologie, Klinikum Munchen Bogenhausen, D 81925 München, Germany
Oncol Rep 16:197-202. 2006..100 years ago. Therefore, we conclude that the current rise in tumor frequencies in present populations is much more related to the higher life expectancy than primary environmental or genetic factors...
- Numerical integration of the master equation in some models of stochastic epidemiologyGarrett Jenkinson
Whitaker Biomedical Engineering Institute, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e36160. 2012..the exact solution of the master equation--up to a desired precision--in certain models of stochastic epidemiology. We demonstrate the potential of our method by solving the master equation associated with the stochastic SIR ..
- Poverty, environment, and health: the role of environmental epidemiology and environmental epidemiologistsMarie S O'Neill
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2029, USA
Epidemiology 18:664-8. 2007..We further suggest that the discipline of environmental epidemiology, as well as relevant funding agencies, broaden their focus to include rigorous research on the upstream, larger-..
- Regression calibration method for correcting measurement-error bias in nutritional epidemiologyD Spiegelman
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 65:1179S-1186S. 1997..method for adjusting point and interval estimates of effect obtained from regression models commonly used in epidemiology for bias due to measurement error in assessing nutrients or other variables...
- Field Epidemiology and Laboratory Training Programs in sub-Saharan Africa from 2004 to 2010: need, the process, and prospectsPeter Nsubuga
Division of Public Health Systems and Workforce Development, Center for Global Health, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, USA
Pan Afr Med J 10:24. 2011..EIS has been adapted internationally to create the Field Epidemiology Training Program (FETP) in several countries...
- Epidemiology and reporting characteristics of systematic reviewsDavid Moher
Chalmers Research Group, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario Research Institute, Ottawa, Canada
PLoS Med 4:e78. 2007..We set out to capture a representative cross-sectional sample of published SRs and examine them in terms of a broad range of epidemiological, descriptive, and reporting characteristics, including emerging aspects not previously examined...
- Key concepts in genetic epidemiologyPaul R Burton
Department of Health Sciences, University of Leicester, Leicester, UK
Lancet 366:941-51. 2005..in a series of seven that will provide an overview of central concepts and topical issues in modern genetic epidemiology. In this article, we provide an overall framework for investigating the role of familial factors, especially ..
- Eco-epidemiology: thinking outside the black boxEzra Susser
Department of Epidemiology, Mailman School of Public Health, New York, New York 10032, USA
Epidemiology 15:519-20; author reply 527-8. 2004
- Epidemiology. Outbreak investigation and response trainingAndres G Lescano
U S Naval Medical Research Center Detachment NMRCD, Lima, Peru
Science 318:574-5. 2007
- Spatial analysis for epidemiologyA J Graham
Acta Trop 91:219-25. 2004..This paper introduces a range of techniques used in remote sensing, GIS and spatial analysis that are relevant to epidemiology. Possible future directions for the application of remote sensing, GIS and spatial analysis are also suggested.
- The epidemiology of partialandrogen deficiency in aging men (PADAM)G V Frajese
Department of Internal Medicine, University Tor Vergata, Roma, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 28:3-7. 2005..In this review we have tried to give a real identity to PADAM and quantify its entitiy, using the power of the epidemiology.
- The eco- in eco-epidemiologyDana March
Int J Epidemiol 35:1379-83. 2006
- A bibliometric analysis in the fields of preventive medicine, occupational and environmental medicine, epidemiology, and public healthElpidoforos S Soteriades
Alfa Institute of Biomedical Sciences AIBS, Athens, Greece
BMC Public Health 6:301. 2006Research in the fields of Preventive Medicine, Occupational/Environmental Medicine, Epidemiology and Public Health play an important role in the advancement of knowledge...
- Epidemiology of tropical cyclones: the dynamics of disaster, disease, and developmentJames M Shultz
Center for Disaster Epidemiology and Emergency Preparedness, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Miami School of Medicine, FL 33136, USA
Epidemiol Rev 27:21-35. 2005
- Practitioner review: How can epidemiology help us plan and deliver effective child and adolescent mental health services?Tamsin Ford
Institute of Health and Social Care, Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry, Exeter, UK
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 49:900-14. 2008..Academics are beginning to explore the use of structured measures developed for epidemiological studies in clinical assessment and outcome monitoring...
- Efficient data management in a large-scale epidemiology research projectJens Meyer
Institute of Community Medicine, Section Epidemiology of Health Care and Community Health, Ellernholzstrasse 1 2, Greifswald, Germany
Comput Methods Programs Biomed 107:425-35. 2012..The aim of this article is to demonstrate one possible way of establishing a Central Data Management in large-scale medical and epidemiological studies...
- A navigator for human genome epidemiologyWei Yu
Nat Genet 40:124-5. 2008
- Psychiatric epidemiology: selected recent advances and future directionsR C Kessler
Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Bull World Health Organ 78:464-74. 2000Reviewed in this article are selected recent advances and future challenges for psychiatric epidemiology. Major advances in descriptive psychiatric epidemiology in recent years include the development of reliable and valid fully ..
- The role of epidemiology in the prevention, diagnosis, and control of infectious diseases of fishM P Georgiadis
Department of Medicine and Epidemiology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Prev Vet Med 48:287-302. 2001....
- Statistical methods in epidemiology. v. Towards an understanding of the kappa coefficientA S Rigby
Sheffield Children s Hospital, University of Sheffield, UK
Disabil Rehabil 22:339-44. 2000..This paper introduces readers to the problem of measuring interrater agreement in observer variation studies. The most usual statistic to quote is the kappa coefficient which measures agreement having corrected for chance...
- International trade, animal health and veterinary epidemiology: challenges and opportunitiesC Zepeda
Center for Veterinary Epidemiology and Disease Surveillance Systems, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
Prev Vet Med 48:261-71. 2001The link between international trade, animal health and epidemiology has been recognized for a long time and has taken an additional importance in the aftermath of the Uruguay Round of Multilateral Trade Negotiations of the General ..
- Laboratory capacity building for the International Health Regulations (IHR) in resource-poor countries: the experience of the African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET)Monica Musenero Masanza
African Field Epidemiology Network, Plot 23 Mackenzie Vale, Kampala, Uganda
BMC Public Health 10:S8. 2010..In this paper, we discuss some of the efforts made by the African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) in supporting laboratory capacity development in the Africa region...
- Cognitive epidemiologyIan J Deary
Department of Psychology, School of Philosophy, Psychology and Language Sciences, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
J Epidemiol Community Health 61:378-84. 2007..A short guide is given to the main statistical techniques used by differential psychologists in the study of human mental abilities. There is a discussion of common epidemiological concepts in the context of cognitive epidemiology.
- Clinical epidemiology of parathyroidectomy in hemodialysis patients: the USRDS waves 1, 3, and 4 studyYelena Slinin
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Hemodial Int 11:62-71. 2007..Younger patients on long-term hemodialysis may be at a special risk. Parathyroidectomy risk increases stepwise with alterations in bone metabolism variables, suggesting that a single-threshold management approach may not be ideal...
- HIV and the law: integrating law, policy, and social epidemiologyZita Lazzarini
Division of Medical Humanities at the University of Connecticut Health Center, USA
J Law Med Ethics 30:533-47. 2002
- [Epidemiology, research, and health services evaluation]Iná S dos Santos
Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Pelotas, Pelotas, Brazil
Cad Saude Publica 20:S337-41. 2004..A new trend among researchers of epidemiology applied to health services has challenged this premise and proposes that randomized studies be adapted to ..
- Travel epidemiology: the Saudi perspectiveZiad A Memish
Department of Medicine, King Abdulaziz Medical City, King Fahad National Guard Hospital, P O Box 22490, Riyadh 11426, Saudi Arabia
Int J Antimicrob Agents 21:96-101. 2003..This extraordinary en masse migration is a unique forum for the study of travel epidemiology since the Hajj carries various health risks, both communicable and non-communicable, often on a colossal scale...
- [The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology [STROBE] statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies]Erik von Elm
Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine ISPM, University of Bern, Berna, Switzerland
Gac Sanit 22:144-50. 2008..The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) initiative developed recommendations on what should be included in an accurate and complete report of ..
- The globalization of epidemiology: critical thoughts from Latin AmericaMauricio L Barreto
Instituto De Saude Coletiva, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Rua Padre Feijó, 29 Canela, 40 110 170 Salvador Bahia, Brazil
Int J Epidemiol 33:1132-7. 2004b>Epidemiology in Latin America, as in the rest of the world, has been developed for the purpose of contributing towards understanding the causes and determinants of the phenomena of health and disease in specific contexts...
- Epidemiology as discourse: the politics of development institutions in the Epidemiological Profile of El SalvadorL A Avilés
Departamento de Ciencias Sociales, Universidad de Puerto Rico Mayagüez, Apartado Postal 9010, Mayaguez, Puerto Rico 00681 9010, USA
J Epidemiol Community Health 55:164-71. 2001..To determine the ways in which institutions devoted to international development influence epidemiological studies...
- Advancing the application of omics-based biomarkers in environmental epidemiologyPaolo Vineis
MRC HPA Centre for Environment and Health, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
Environ Mol Mutagen 54:461-7. 2013The use of omics represents a shift in approach for environmental epidemiology and exposure science...
- Cancer screening: the journey from epidemiology to policyStephen A Deppen
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, USA
Ann Epidemiol 22:439-45. 2012..We explore how epidemiologists have contributed to this evidence base and to its translation into policy...
- A randomized trial of a problem-based learning approach for teaching epidemiologyP Dyke
Department of Public Health, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Acad Med 76:373-9. 2001PURPOSE: To conduct a controlled trial of traditional and problem-based learning (PBL) methods of teaching epidemiology. METHOD: All second-year medical students (n = 136) at The University of Western Australia Medical School were offered ..
- Global epidemiology and public health in the 21st century. Applications of new technologyR E LaPorte
Department of Epidemiology, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Ann Epidemiol 6:162-7. 1996b>Epidemiology and public health need to change for the upcoming problems of the 21st century and beyond. We outline a four-point approach to produce this change. The first one is to take a systems approach to disease...
- The epidemiology of influenza. 1919W H Frost
Public Health Rep 121:149-59; discussion 148. 2006
- The African Field Epidemiology Network--networking for effective field epidemiology capacity building and service deliverySheba Nakacubo Gitta
African Field Epidemiology Network, Kampala, Uganda
Pan Afr Med J 10:3. 2011..The African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) is a public health network established in 2005 as a non-profit networking alliance of Field ..
- Paradigms in epidemiology textbooks: in the footsteps of Thomas KuhnR Bhopal
Public Health Sciences, Medical School, University of Edinburgh, Scotland
Am J Public Health 89:1162-5. 1999This article attempts to contribute to the debate on the future of epidemiology by combining Thomas Kuhn's ideas on scientific paradigms with the author's observations on some epidemiology textbooks...
- [Record-linkage procedures in epidemiology: an Italian multicentre study]Carla Fornari
Centro di studio e ricerca sulla patologia cronico degenerativa negli ambienti di lavoro, Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica e Prevenzione, Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Universita degli Studi di Milano Bicocca, Italy
Epidemiol Prev 32:79-88. 2008..To compare record linkage (RL) procedures adopted in several Italian settings and a standard probabilistic RL procedure for matching data from electronic health care databases...
- Epidemiology competencies and preventive medicine residencies: do they mix and map?Matthew L Boulton
University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2029, USA
Public Health Rep 123:136-48. 2008....
- Mentorship and competencies for applied chronic disease epidemiologyEugene J Lengerich
Department of Health Evaluation Sciences, Pennsylvania State College of Medicine, MS 210, Suite 2200, 600 Centerview Drive, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 9:275-83. 2003..support the potential of mentoring as an effective means to develop capacity for applied chronic disease epidemiology. Proposed competencies for chronic disease epidemiologists in a mentorship program include planning, analysis, ..
- Teaching residents to read the medical literature: a controlled trial of a curriculum in critical appraisal/clinical epidemiologyJ M Kitchens
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Kentucky
J Gen Intern Med 4:384-7. 1989OBJECTIVE: To teach internal medicine residents key principles of clinical epidemiology that are necessary to read critically the medical literature. DESIGN: Two-phase, non-randomized, controlled educational trial...
- Mendelian randomization in nutritional epidemiologyLu Qi
Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Nutr Rev 67:439-50. 2009Nutritional epidemiology aims to identify dietary and lifestyle causes for human diseases...
- Social epidemiology and Eastern WisdomEric Brunner
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, London, United Kingdom
J Epidemiol 22:291-4. 2012Social epidemiology is the field of study that attempts to understand the social determinants of health and the dynamics between societal settings and health...
- Review paper: epidemiology, evidence-based medicine, and public healthJin Ling Tang
School of Public Health, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, PWH, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong, P R China
Asia Pac J Public Health 21:244-51. 2009This article reviews the relation between evidence-based medicine and epidemiology and the recent evolution of the former...
- Implications of the human microbiome project for epidemiologyBetsy Foxman
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2029, USA
Am J Epidemiol 177:197-201. 2013....
- [The challenge to public health of the Millenium Development Goals: an approach from political epidemiology]Diana Gil González
Area de Medicina Preventiva y Salud Pública Universidad de Alicante, Alicante, Espana
Gac Sanit 20:61-5. 2006..Due to its multidisciplinary nature, public health, as well as political epidemiology, can be used to help increase scientific knowledge in the field of health with respect to the Millennium ..
- Applications of the estimating equations theory to genetic epidemiology: a reviewD A Tregouet
INSERM Unite 525, Paris, France
Ann Hum Genet 64:1-14. 2000..Since most genetic studies rely on family data, the EE found a natural field of application in genetic epidemiology. The objective of this review is to give a brief description of the EE principles, and to outline its ..
- Integrating law and social epidemiologyScott Burris
Beasley School of Law, Temple University, USA
J Law Med Ethics 30:510-21. 2002
- Epidemiology and public health at CDCStephen B Thacker
Office of Workplace and Career Development, Office of the Director, CDC, MS E 94, Atlanta, Georgia, 30329, USA
MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 55:3-4. 2006b>Epidemiology is the study of the distribution and determinants of health-related states or events in specified populations and the application of this study to control health problems...
- Epidemiology and global policy in child healthC G Victora
Postgraduate Programme in Epidemiology, Universidade Federal de Pelotas, Pelotas, Brazil
Public Health 126:220-2. 2012..b>Epidemiology then contributed to measuring coverage with these interventions, assessing which population groups are lagging ..
- [The Goldthorpe Social Class Classification: reference framework for a proposal for the measurement of social class by the Working Group of the Spanish Society of Epidemiology]E Regidor
Ministerio de Sanidad y Consumo Paseo del Prado 18 20 28071 Madrid
Rev Esp Salud Publica 75:13-22. 2001..In this article, these aspects are discussed and it is also discussed the problem of the validation of the measurements of social class and the problem of the use of the social class as an independent variable...
- Field Epidemiology and Laboratory Training Programs in West Africa as a model for sustainable partnerships in animal and human healthKaren M Becker
Tauri Group, 675 N Washington St, Alexandria, VA 22314, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 241:572-9. 2012..influenza outbreaks in West Africa, international donor support led to a unique opportunity to invest in Field Epidemiology and Laboratory Training Programs (FELTPs) in the region that engaged the animal and human health sectors to ..
- The Tanzania Field Epidemiology and Laboratory Training Program: building and transforming the public health workforcePETER MMBUJI
Tanzania Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, Dar es Salam, Tanzania
Pan Afr Med J 10:9. 2011The Tanzania Field Epidemiology and Laboratory Training Program (TFELTP) was established in 2008 as a partnership among the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare (MOHSW), Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences, National ..
- A survey of variable selection methods in two Chinese epidemiology journalsHuimin Liao
Department of Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Key Laboratory on Public Health Safety of the Ministry of Education, Fudan University, Shanghai 200032, China
BMC Med Res Methodol 10:87. 2010..This review surveys the variable selection methods reported in two high-ranking Chinese epidemiology journals.
- The West Africa Field Epidemiology and Laboratory Training Program, a strategy to improve disease surveillance and epidemic control in West AfricaEvariste Mutabaruka
World Health Organization Multi Disease Surveillance Center, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Pan Afr Med J 10:10. 2011The West Africa Field Epidemiology and Laboratory Training Program (WA-FELTP) which was established in September 2007, is an inter-country, competency-based, in-service and post -graduate training program in applied epidemiology and ..
- Human evolution and its relevance for genetic epidemiologyLuigi Luca Cavalli-Sforza
Genetics Department, Stanford University Medical School, Stanford, California 94305 5120, USA
Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet 8:1-15. 2007..and a few thoughts on the general rates of evolution that might be relevant to medical genetics and genetic epidemiology. I have made no attempt to give a general bibliography, not even of results from the HGDP, since most authors' ..
- Commentary: Social capital, social epidemiology and disease aetiologyGeorge Davey Smith
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Canynge Hall, Whiteladies Road, Bristol BS8 2PR, UK
Int J Epidemiol 33:691-700; discussion 705-9. 2004
- Interdisciplinary education to integrate pathology and epidemiology: towards molecular and population-level health scienceShuji Ogino
Cancer Epidemiology Program, Dana Farber Harvard Cancer Center, 450 Brookline Ave, Room JF 215C, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Am J Epidemiol 176:659-67. 2012In recent decades, epidemiology, public health, and medical sciences have been increasingly compartmentalized into narrower disciplines...
- [Intervention epidemiology training programs in Germany and Europe. An investment in our future]Viviane Bremer
European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control ECDC, Stockholm, Schweden
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 52:203-7. 2009..The German Postgraduate training in Applied Epidemiology (PAE) at the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) and the European Programme for Intervention Epidemiology Training (..
- Commentary: Epidemiology still ascendantKenneth J Rothman
RTI Health Solutions, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Int J Epidemiol 36:710-1. 2007
- Commentary: the 'bibliographic impact factor' and the still uncharted sociology of epidemiologyMiquel Porta
Institut Municipal d Investigacio Medica, Barcelona, Spain
Int J Epidemiol 35:1130-5. 2006
- [Social capital and the research agenda in epidemiology]Marcos Pascoal Pattussi
Programa de Pós Graduação em Saúde Coletiva, Universidade do Vale do Rio dos Sinos, Sao Leopoldo, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 22:1525-46. 2006....
- Parasite replication and the evolutionary epidemiology of parasite virulenceMichael B Bonsall
Mathematical Ecology Research Group, Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 5:e12440. 2010..Understanding how the effects of within-host processes scale up to affect the epidemiology has importance for understanding host-pathogen interactions.
- Future directions for epidemiology in epilepsyChristine Linehan
National Institute for Intellectual Disability at Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland
Epilepsy Behav 22:112-7. 2011b>Epidemiology continues to be an important research tool in the study of epilepsy and related disorders, providing a better understanding of the frequency, causes and natural history of the disorder...
- Systematic reviews in epidemiology: why are we so far behind?Kay Dickersin
Center for Clinical Trials and Evidence based Healthcare, Department of Community Health Box G S2, 169 Angell Street, Providence, Rhode Island 02912, USA
Int J Epidemiol 31:6-12. 2002
- New classification of oesophageal and gastric carcinomas derived from changing patterns in epidemiologyK Dolan
Department of Surgery, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, UK
Br J Cancer 80:834-42. 1999..A new subsite classification of oesophageal and gastric carcinomas is proposed that includes the gastro-oesophageal junction as a distinct subsite, to facilitate surveillance, management and research...
- Things that kept coming to mind while thinking through Susser's South African memoirMiquel Porta
Clinical and Molecular Epidemiology of Cancer Unit, Institut Municipal d Investigacio Medica IMIM, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Carrer del Dr Aiguader 80, E 08003 Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
J Epidemiol Community Health 60:559-61. 2006
- Book citations: influence of epidemiologic thought in the academic communityMiquel Porta
Institut Municipal d Investigacio Medica, Barcelona, Spain
Rev Saude Publica 40:50-6. 2006..Analyses of citations received by epidemiologic texts may complement other views on epidemiology. The objective was to assess the number of citations received by some books of epidemiology and public health, ..
- Scientific foundations of hormesis. Part 2. Maturation, strengths, limitations, and possible applications in toxicology, pharmacology, and epidemiologyKarl K Rozman
Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology and Therapeutics, University of Kansas, Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160 7417, USA
Crit Rev Toxicol 33:451-62. 2003..challenges. Therefore, both hormesis and hormoligosis are manifestations of two nonmutational evolutionary principles--homeostasis and optimization...
- Epidemiology's contribution to health service management and planning in developing countries: a missing linkJ P Unger
Public Health Research and Training Unit, Prince Leopold Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Bull World Health Organ 70:487-97. 1992..With regard to the second hypothesis, the pertinent contributions epidemiology may make to health service organization are reviewed...
- Causation and models of disease in epidemiologyAlex Broadbent
Department of History and Philosophy of Science, University of Cambridge, Free School Lane, Cambridge CB23RH, UK
Stud Hist Philos Biol Biomed Sci 40:302-11. 2009..The focus of modern epidemiology, however, is on chronic non-communicable diseases, which frequently do not seem to be attributable to any ..
- GI Epidemiology: nutritional epidemiologyL E Kelemen
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 25:401-7. 2007Nutritional epidemiology is the assessment of diet and its relationship to disease aetiology in populations. The choice of dietary assessment method depends on the disease pathology...
- Assessment of epidemiology capacity in state health departments, 2004-2009Matthew L Boulton
Center of Excellence for Public Health Workforce Studies, University of Michigan School of Public Health, 1415 Washington Heights, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Public Health Rep 126:84-93. 2011To assess the number of epidemiologists and epidemiology capacity nationally, the Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists surveyed state health departments in 2004, 2006, and 2009...
- Epidemiology teaching: student and tutor perceptionsMandy Moffat
Department of General Practice and Primary Care, University of Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Med Teach 26:691-5. 2004..students are not exposed to appropriate opportunities to learn and understand the fundamental principles of epidemiology. In this study the aim was to explore students' and tutors' perceptions of the epidemiology teaching in the ..
- Who conducts epidemiology activities in local public health departments?Carol Moehrle
North Central District Health Department, Lewiston, ID 83501, USA
Public Health Rep 123:6-7. 2008
- Translational epidemiology in psychiatry: linking population to clinical and basic sciencesMyrna M Weissman
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, NY 10032, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 68:600-8. 2011..This article introduces the term translational epidemiology for psychiatry research as a bidirectional concept in which the knowledge generated from the bedside or the ..
- Glossary for econometrics and epidemiologyF Imlach Gunasekara
Department of Public Health, Wellington School of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Otago, PO Box 7343, Wellington South 6242, New Zealand
J Epidemiol Community Health 62:858-61. 2008..This glossary defines key terms used in econometrics and epidemiology to assist in bridging this gap.
- Data visualisation for time series in environmental epidemiologyB Erbas
Department of Public Health, The University of Melbourne, Vic, Australia
J Epidemiol Biostat 6:433-43. 2001....
- Strategies to work with HLA data in human populations for histocompatibility, clinical transplantation, epidemiology and population genetics: HLA-NET methodological recommendationsA Sanchez-Mazas
University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Int J Immunogenet 39:459-72; quiz 473-6. 2012HLA-NET (a European COST Action) aims at networking researchers working in bone marrow transplantation, epidemiology and population genetics to improve the molecular characterization of the HLA genetic diversity of human populations, with ..
- [John Snow, the cholera epidemic and the foundation of modern epidemiology]Jaime Cerda L
Departamento de Salud Publica, Facultad de Medicina, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Temuco, Chile
Rev Chilena Infectol 24:331-4. 2007..out for his acute observation capacity, logical thinking and perseverance, first in anesthetics and later in epidemiology. The successive outbreaks of cholera that affected London, motivated him to study this disease from a ..
- Detail in network models of epidemiology: are we there yet?Stephen Eubank
Network Dynamics and Simulation Sciences Laboratory, Virginia Bioinformatics Institute at Virginia Tech, 1880 Pratt Dr, Blacksburg, Virginia 24060, USA
J Biol Dyn 4:446-55. 2010Network models of infectious disease epidemiology can potentially provide insight into how to tailor control strategies for specific regions, but only if the network adequately reflects the structure of the region's contact network...
- Impact of sample size on variation of adverse events and preventable adverse events: systematic review on epidemiology and contributing factorsConstanze Lessing
Institute for Patient Safety, University of Bonn, D 53111 Bonn, Germany
Qual Saf Health Care 19:e24. 2010....
- Roles and responsibilities of epidemiologistsDouglas L Weed
Division of Cancer Prevention, Office of Preventive Oncology, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Ann Epidemiol 12:67-72. 2002..The American College of Epidemiology's Ethics Guidelines support this view...
- [The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies]Erik von Elm
Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine ISPM, University of Bern, Berna, Suiza
Rev Esp Salud Publica 82:251-9. 2008..The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) initiative developed recommendations on what should be included in an accurate and complete report of ..
- Primary data collection: what should well-trained epidemiology doctoral students be able to do?Julie E Buring
Division of Preventive Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Epidemiology 19:347-9. 2008The increasing size and complexity of epidemiologic studies is leading more and more doctoral students in epidemiology to base their thesis work on existing data...
- Methodologic and statistical considerations regarding use of biomarkers of nutritional exposure in epidemiologyJames R Marshall
Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
J Nutr 133:881S-887S. 2003In nutritional epidemiology, accurate quantification of nutritional exposure is critical. Even moderate flaws in measurement can lead to sizeable distortions in estimations of the effects of exposure...
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2013..Also, there will be a measurement of pressure in the eye and thickness of the cornea. To study patients'DNA, the researchers will obtain a bloo..
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2012..Also, there will be a measurement of pressure in the eye and thickness of the cornea. To study patients'DNA, the researchers will obtain a bloo..
- Prevention of Complications in ThalassemiaElliott P Vichinsky; Fiscal Year: 2011..This has given us the opportunity to prospectively monitor the epidemiology of thalassemia17-20...
- Vaccine Development for Falciparum Malaria in Pregnant Women and Their OffspringIan C Michelow; Fiscal Year: 2013..following three key areas: 1) vaccine immunology, 2) advanced molecular methods, and 3) applied biostatistics, epidemiology and human population research...
- Bone Deficits and Excess Adiposity after Pediatric Bone Marrow TransplantationSogol Mostoufi-Moab; Fiscal Year: 2013..The applicant is a dual certified pediatric endocrinologist and oncologist with advanced epidemiology training...
- Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) Screening TrialBARBARA O'BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..from these samples are stored in the PLCO Biorepository through collaboration with the Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics (DCEG)...
- Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) Screening TrialMona Fouad; Fiscal Year: 2013..from these samples are stored in the PLCO Biorepository through collaboration with the Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics (DCEG)...
- The influence of air pollution mixtures on biomarkers of airway oxidative stressRoby Greenwald; Fiscal Year: 2013..Sarnat). Finally, the training portion will be supported by epidemiology consultant Dr. Mitchel Klein and physical activity analysis consultant Dr. Janet Fulton...
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and birth outcomes in Mexico CityMARIE SYLVIA O'NEILL; Fiscal Year: 2013..Most published epidemiology studies are based on population birth registries and lack the individual, clinical data and repeated measures ..
- Molecular Markers for Progression of Pulmonary Fibrosis in Systemic SclerosisShervin Assassi; Fiscal Year: 2013..provides access to a diverse group of investigators with expertise in biostatistics, bioinformatics and epidemiology. The candidate and his mentors also have ongoing collaborations with the CCTS Core Laboratories and Clinical ..
- Systematics of medically important Dermacentor tick vectorsDmitry A Apanaskevich; Fiscal Year: 2011..Correct identification of tick species, particularly in the immature stages, is essential for epidemiology, prevention, and treatment of tick-borne diseases...
- SPEAKER TRAVEL AND SCIENTIFIC SESSION SUPPORT FOR THE TERATOLOGY SOCIETY 50TH Christina Chambers; Fiscal Year: 2011..fields such as cell and molecular biology, developmental biology and toxicology, nutrition, genetics and epidemiology. It is critical to translate the current state of the science to the clinic, including prenatal medicine, ..
- Oklahoma Autoimmunity Center of ExcellenceJudith A James; Fiscal Year: 2013..and dentists, as well as basic scientists from various areas of immunology, molecular biology, genetics, epidemiology and biostatistics, our investigative team is poised to make basic advances regarding disease pathogenesis and ..
- Improving TB Diagnosis in Children with and without HIV in KenyaRinn Song; Fiscal Year: 2013..a Master of Public Health degree and pursue additional educational training in advanced biostatistics and epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health...
- Latin American Center for Malaria Research and ControlSOCRATES HERRERA VALENCIA; Fiscal Year: 2013..ICEMR research activities have been divided into three closely inter-related projects as follows: Project 1 on Epidemiology will determine the ecological and epidemiological features in non-Amazonian regions;Project 2 on malaria ..
- Notch and Regulators of Notch Signaling Impact Both Glucose and Lipid MetabolismUTPAL BHAGIRATH PAJVANI; Fiscal Year: 2013..The training he still needs to understand and fruitfully apply epidemiology and statistical methods in the design and analysis of clinical research studies, can best be addressed through ..
- Expanding Vietnamese Community and Academic Infrastructure for Health ResearchBang H Nguyen; Fiscal Year: 2010..g. internal medicine, psychiatry, public health, nutritional science, environmental and occupational epidemiology, and ethnic studies) and has potential impact across multiple diseases and conditions (e.g...
- Triggers of Abruptio Placentae - A Case Crossover Study of an Ischemic PlacentalMichelle A Williams; Fiscal Year: 2013..We seek to increase our understanding of the epidemiology and pathophysiology of AP by conducting a large multi-center epidemiologic study of AP in Lima, Peru...
- Endotoxin, the airway transcriptome, and obstructive lung diseasePEGGY SUE LAI; Fiscal Year: 2013..to achieve this goal, her short-term career objectives are to obtain further didactic training in environmental epidemiology, advanced biostatistics, genomics, and data mining, as well as practical skills in building a cohort, exposure ..
- Non-invasive zoonotic pathogen exposure and outcome biomarkers with follow-up inChristopher D Heaney; Fiscal Year: 2013..with a significant track record of research in community-based participatory research (CBPR) and environmental epidemiology. My goal is to integrate my existing experience with focused training in microbiology, immunology, and the ..
- Characterizing TLR Function of Human Dendritic Cells in the ElderlyAlexander Panda; Fiscal Year: 2012..of leaders in immunology (Peter Cresswell and Ruslan Medzhitov), geriatrics (Mary Tinetti), and clinical epidemiology and biostatistics (Heather Allore) at Yale...
- JACKSON HEART STUDYASOKA S SRINIVASAN; Fiscal Year: 2011..research capabilities in minority institutions, address the critical shortage of minority investigators in epidemiology and prevention, and reduce barriers to dissemination and utilization of health information in a minority ..
- JACKSON HEART STUDYHERMAN ALFRED TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2009..research capabilities in minority institutions, address the critical shortage of minority investigators in epidemiology and prevention, and reduce barriers to dissemination and utilization of health information in a minority ..
- JACKSON HEART STUDYHERMAN ALFRED TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2009..research capabilities in minority institutions, address the critical shortage of minority investigators in epidemiology and prevention, and reduce barriers to dissemination and utilization of health information in a minority ..
- JACKSON HEART STUDYASOKA S SRINIVASAN; Fiscal Year: 2013
- JACKSON HEART STUDYAsoka Srinivasan; Fiscal Year: 2010
- JACKSON HEART STUDYHerman Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2010
- Yale Drug Abuse, Addiction, and HIV Research Scholars (Yale-DAHRS)PATRICK O'CONNOR; Fiscal Year: 2013..dissemination;and (4) The integration of such diverse fields as public health, informatics, clinical epidemiology, systems engineering and demography with the traditional clinical sciences of internal medicine, emergency ..
- Investigation of Occupational Exposure to and Infection by MRSA in Rural IowaTara Smith; Fiscal Year: 2012..5% of invasive MRSA isolates collected from US metropolitan areas. As the epidemiology of MRSA has changed, new groups at risk of acquiring MRSA have emerged...
- VISUAL SCIENCES TRAINING PROGRAMEric Pearlman; Fiscal Year: 2013..multi- disciplinary vision sciences research community encompassing the Departments of Biomedical Engineering, Epidemiology &Biostatistics, Molecular Biology &Microbiology, Neurosciences, Ophthalmology &Visual Sciences, ..
- Molecular Epidemiology of DNA Repair in Head and Neck CancerQingyi Wei; Fiscal Year: 2012..The long- term goal of this study is to identify effective biomarkers that can be used to identify at-risk individuals who will be targeted for primary prevention and early detection of SCCHN in the general population. ..
- Genetic Study of PP-Fold Polypeptide-Receptor Axis on Metabolic Syndrome RiskPEI AN SHIH; Fiscal Year: 2013..After receiving my Ph.D. in genetic epidemiology from the University of Pittsburgh, I joined the Hypertension Research Lab at the University of California, San ..
- Epidemiology and Etiology of Hospitalized Pneumonia in ChildrenKrow Ampofo; Fiscal Year: 2010..Moreover, the epidemiology of childhood pneumonia is changing due to the impact of Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) vaccine and ..
- Development and Validation of an Instrument to Assess Cognitive Function RegulatiXi Chen; Fiscal Year: 2013..g. cognitive neuroscience, cognitive function assessment and measurement design, epidemiology and statistics), clinical and research seminars, and supervised clinical rotation in the UNC neurology clinic...
- Insights from Comparative Genomics for the Treatment of Pneumococcal InfectionsNatalia Luisa Hiller; Fiscal Year: 2011..Herminia de Lencastre at the Universidade Nova de Lisboa who are authorities on the pathogenesis and epidemiology of pneumococcus and who have collected an outstanding library of strains;and 5) Dr...
- Thirteenth Annual Meeting of the Rocky Mountain Virology AssociationJoel Rovnak; Fiscal Year: 2013..e. RNA stability and Flavivirus biology. The topics discussed include medical virology (vaccines, epidemiology, viral zoonoses), arthropod-borne diseases (RNA viruses and RNA metabolism, viral vectors and vector biology), ..
- Interrelationships among nutrients involved in one-carbon metabolism in BangladesMEGAN NINA HALL; Fiscal Year: 2011..Building upon a background in nutrition and epidemiology, the mentored phase of this award will provide training in 1) study management and oversight, 2) advanced ..
- Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Mechanistic LinksSHIKHA SEKSARIA SUNDARAM; Fiscal Year: 2013..further training in immunology, hypoxemia and oxygen sensing, in vivo human metabolism, genetic and molecular epidemiology and longitudinal data analysis, with ongoing feedback from a formal Career Development Advisory Committee...
- 14th International Workshop on Ataxia-Telangiectasia and ATMRichard A Gatti; Fiscal Year: 2010..system and in neurodegeneration, animal models of A-T, ATM mutations in breast and other human cancers, the epidemiology of ATM mutations, and the development and design of future clinical trials for A-T patients worldwide...
- Androgen Receptor Pathway and Risk of Hepatic Fibrosis in Hepatitis CDONNA LORRAINE WHITE; Fiscal Year: 2013..It will also extend my NIDDK-sponsored K01 research and training in genetic epidemiology of chronic digestive and liver diseases, and also provide foundational data needed to support an R01 ..
- Health Care Disparities in the Pacific Islands Pacific Regional Medical ConferencSAIED SAFABAKHSH; Fiscal Year: 2011..and Ethnic Identity on Tobacco Characteristics Update in Prenatal Diagnosis and Genetics Health on Guam, An epidemiology of chronic disease in Guam Health Disparities in Diabetes Current Opinions in Medical Ethics Chronic Kidney ..
- A Rapid Point-of-care Diagnostic for Neisseria gonorrhoeae STDsRichard F Selden; Fiscal Year: 2012..was recently seen a major European Chlamydia trachomatis strain), incapable of strain typing (making reliable epidemiology studies and contact tracing impossible), and incapable of determining drug resistance profiles...
- Insights from Comparative Genomics for the Treatment of Pneumococcal InfectionsNatalia Luisa Hiller; Fiscal Year: 2013..Herminia de Lencastre at the Universidade Nova de Lisboa who are authorities on the pathogenesis and epidemiology of pneumococcus and who have collected an outstanding library of strains;and 5) Dr...
- EPIDEMIOLOGY: OXIDATIVE STRESS AND EARLY ATHEROSCLEROSISDavid R Jacobs; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- EPIDEMIOLOGY: OXIDATIVE STRESS AND EARLY ATHEROSCLEROSISDavid Jacobs; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Genetic Epidemiology of Life-Threatening Influenza Infection in ChildrenAdrienne Randolph; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Anxiety development in 5-HT1A autoreceptor knockout mice, interaction with stressRene Hen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Gene x environment epidemiology and psychiatry research studies have only recently been used and the findings of these studies have come into ..
- Proteomic signatures of an early life asthma-protective exposureSerrine S Lau; Fiscal Year: 2010..In order to achieve our goals, we will rely on our synergistic expertise in proteomics (Lau), epidemiology (Halonen), allergy biology and immunology (Vercelli), and biostatistics (Billheimer) as well as on a unique set ..
- Geriatric Conditions and Disablement in the Older Adult PopulationChristine T Cigolle; Fiscal Year: 2013..are designed to support both (1) the acquisition of advanced methodological skills and expertise in the epidemiology of geriatric conditions and (2) training in the design and implementation of primary data collection for large ..
- Body composition, bone structure, and joint damage in rheumatoid arthritisJoshua F Baker; Fiscal Year: 2013..by applicant): The candidate is a junior investigator in rheumatology with advanced training in clinical epidemiology and a focus on patient-oriented research in chronic rheumatic diseases...
- Effect of Ultrafiltration on Clinical Outcomes and Health-related Quality of LifeKELLY VICTORIA LIANG; Fiscal Year: 2013..Unruh);Cardiovascular Institute (Dr. Champion and Dr. Teuteberg);Psychiatry, Psychology, Epidemiology and Biostatistics (Dr. Dew);Biostatistics (Dr. Weissfeld);and Critical Care Medicine (Dr. Kellum)...
- Graves'Disease Therapy Risks to Mother and FetusScott A Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2013..When completed, we anticipate that these studies will provide needed epidemiology and basic-teratology data about the relative risks of PTU, MMI, and hyperthyroidism to mother and fetus...
- Anti- IL5 therapy for Churg-Strauss Syndrome: a double blind randomized, placebo-Michael E Wechsler; Fiscal Year: 2010..To date, research to study this 'orphan disease'has been minimal, its epidemiology, pathogenesis, and genetics remain largely unknown, and no significant therapeutic advances have been realized...
- High Throughput Methods to Measure Disparities in Childhood Exposure to TobaccoSharon E Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2010..expertise in tobacco research (including the analytical methods to quantify nicotine metabolites), pediatric epidemiology, and health disparities research...
- Iodine Nutrition and Thyroid Disease During Pregnancy and LactationANGELA MEI TIN LEUNG; Fiscal Year: 2013..I received a Master of Science in Epidemiology degree at the Boston University School of Public Health in January 2010...
- Air Toxics, Neighborhood Environment and Risk of Oral CleftsPhilip J Lupo; Fiscal Year: 2013..S. EPA, 4) the principal investigator's expertise in birth defects epidemiology and 5) a strong group of research collaborators...
- Vitamin D and Arterial Function in Patients with Chronic Kidney DiseaseJessica B Kendrick; Fiscal Year: 2013..She has already completed a Certificate in Public Health Sciences in which she took classes in biostatistics, epidemiology, research design, and ethics...
- Tick-Mammal Interface of Human Granulocytic AnaplasmosisULRIKE GERTRUD MUNDERLOH; Fiscal Year: 2013..isolates that account for their ability to infect humans or animals, improve understanding of the epidemiology, identify crucial steps in cell invasion, replication and transmission that, when disrupted, could prevent ..
- Familial and Birth Cohort Effects on the Aging SensesKaren J Cruickshanks; Fiscal Year: 2013..Stored samples from adults, ages 45-79 yrs in the BOSS and the parent cohort seen in the Epidemiology of Hearing Loss Study (AG11099), will be genotyped using a 50,000 SNP panel of candidate genes for ..
- Clinical Research and Mentoring in Oral EpidemiologyKaumudi Joshipura; Fiscal Year: 2009..by applicant): The principal investigator's career has emphasized patient oriented research in Oral Epidemiology ranging from evaluation of risk factors, to mechanistic studies evaluating pathways, to clinical trials...
- MOLECULAR EPIDEMIOLOGY OF BIRTH DEFECTSJeanne Manson; Fiscal Year: 2001..Biologist with 25 years of experience in Reproductive Toxicology, Teratology and recently in Reproductive Epidemiology. The application describes a 3 year comprehensive, interdisciplinary program that will provide the candidate ..
- NEW ENGLAND ORAL DISEASE EPIDEMIOLOGY TRAINING PROGRAMChester Douglass; Fiscal Year: 2007..This competing renewal proposal plans to provide integrated training in three focus areas: molecular epidemiology of oral diseases, epidemiology of oral and systemic diseases, and evidence-based dentistry...
- Molecular Epidemiology of Chronic Liver DiseasesManal Hassan; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): My career goal is to become an established researcher in the molecular epidemiology of cancer...
- CLINICAL AND CLASSICAL EPIDEMIOLOGY IN ONCOLOGYJames Talcott; Fiscal Year: 1991Cancer epidemiology has been identified as a critical area for further progress in the control of cancer. The value of classical epidemiology for insights into etiology and for preventive oncology is well recognized...
- POPULATION BASED CASE CONTROL STUDY OF ORAL CANCERMaria Rosa Watson; Fiscal Year: 2000..a Mentored Clinical Scientist Development Award (MCSDA) to support the pursuit of a doctoral program in epidemiology (DrPH) while remaining a part-time dental faculty member...
- Study design importance in analyzing emerging pathogensAnthony Harris; Fiscal Year: 2005..Control of these pathogens will require a very sophisticated understanding of the underlying epidemiology of nosocomial infections...
- ENVIRONMENTAL AND MOLECULAR EPIDEMIOLOGY TRAINING GRANTHarvey Checkoway; Fiscal Year: 2006..Provided by Applicant) This application is for a renewal of training grant: "Environmental and Molecular Epidemiology" that originally was established in 1990...
- EATING DISORDERS--GENETIC EPIDEMIOLOGYCynthia Bulik; Fiscal Year: 2000..Bulik, sponsored by Dr. Kenneth Kendler, Describes a rigorous three year training program in genetic epidemiology with a focus on eating disorders...