Summary: The study and practice of medicine by direct examination of the patient.
Publications221 found, 100 shown here
- The sixth survey of the Tromso Study (Tromso 6) in 2007-08: collaborative research in the interface between clinical medicine and epidemiology: study objectives, design, data collection procedures, and attendance in a multipurpose population-based health Anne Elise Eggen
Department of Community Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Tromsø, Tromsø, Norway
Scand J Public Health 41:65-80. 2013..To provide a synopsis of the sixth survey of the Tromsø Study, Tromsø 6, objectives and new target areas, study design, follow-up studies, data collection, attendance, and participant characteristics...
- Comparison of the distribution of citations received by articles published in high, moderate, and low impact factor journals in clinical medicineM E Falagas
Department of Medicine, Alfa Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Athens, Greece
Intern Med J 40:587-91. 2010..We sought to further investigate this issue in general and internal medicine journals...
- Assessing research impact in academic clinical medicine: a study using Research Excellence Framework pilot impact indicatorsPavel V Ovseiko
Medical Sciences Division, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
BMC Health Serv Res 12:478. 2012..In 2010, it conducted a pilot exercise to test these proposals and refine impact indicators and criteria...
- Genome-wide association studies: results from the first few years and potential implications for clinical medicineJoel N Hirschhorn
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Program in Genomics and Division of Genetics, Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Annu Rev Med 62:11-24. 2011..The greatest impact of GWA studies may not be in predictive medicine but rather in the development over the next decades of therapies based on novel biological insights...
- What is feedback in clinical education?J M Monica van de Ridder
Centre for Research and Development, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Med Educ 42:189-97. 2008..An operational definition is needed for educational practice and teacher training, and for research into the effectiveness of different types of feedback...
- Student evaluation of a problem-oriented module of clinical medicine within a revised dental curriculumC J Tack
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, College of Dental Science, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Eur J Dent Educ 10:96-102. 2006....
- The future of functional MRI in clinical medicineEd Bullmore
University of Cambridge and GlaxoSmithKline, Cambridge, UK
Neuroimage 62:1267-71. 2012..Here I provide a personal perspective on what has already been achieved, and imagine how the further development of fMRI over the medium term might lead to even greater engagement with clinical medicine.
- The "Bantu Clinic": a genealogy of the African patient as object and effect of South African clinical medicine, 1930-1990A Butchart
University of South Africa Health Psychology Unit, Pretorica, South Africa
Cult Med Psychiatry 21:405-47. 1997..and experiences have been denied by the "mechanistic," "reductionistic" and "ethnocentric" practices of clinical medicine. Against this liberal humanist perspective on the body as ontologically independent of power, this paper ..
- Predictive data mining in clinical medicine: current issues and guidelinesRiccardo Bellazzi
Dipartimento di Informatica e Sistemistica, Universita di Pavia, Via Ferrata 1, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Int J Med Inform 77:81-97. 2008....
- Analogies and metaphors in clinical medicineGwinyai Masukume
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Mpilo Central Hospital, Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
Clin Med 12:55-6. 2012..Despite this, medical analogies will no doubt continue to be useful for medical education, clinical practice and 'aide memoirs' for examinations, and bring light humour, for a long time to come...
- [Scientific production in clinical medicine and international collaboration networks in South American countries]Charles Huamaní
Sociedad Científica de San Fernando, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Lima, Peru
Rev Med Chil 140:466-75. 2012..International collaboration is increasingly used in biomedical research...
- Critical thinking in clinical medicine: what is it?Mona Gupta
Department of Psychiatry, University of Montreal, Montreal, PQ, Canada
J Eval Clin Pract 18:938-44. 2012..What are these different uses of the term trying to capture that is important in clinical medicine and medical education? We have analysed these qualities as responsibilist, epistemic virtues...
- Pros and cons of vertical integration between clinical medicine and basic science within a problem-based undergraduate medical curriculum: examples and experiences from Linköping, SwedenL O Dahle
Division of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linkoping University Hospital, S 581 85 Linkoping, Sweden
Med Teach 24:280-5. 2002..Vertical integration between basic sciences and clinical medicine in a PBL setting has been found to stimulate profound rather than superficial learning, and thereby ..
- LMNA cardiomyopathy: cell biology and genetics meet clinical medicineJonathan T Lu
Department of Medicine, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Dis Model Mech 4:562-8. 2011....
- Introduction to clinical medicine: a time for consensus and integrationDeborah M Omori
Department of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, F Edward Hebert School of Medicine, USUHS EDP, Bethesda, MD 20814 4799, USA
Am J Med 118:189-94. 2005
- Epidemiologic methods: beyond clinical medicine, beyond epidemiologyFrancisco Bolumar
Universitat Miguel Hernàndez, Alacant, Spain
Eur J Epidemiol 19:733-5. 2004
- Virtual reality applications in clinical medicineBryan P Bergeron
Medical Informatics Laboratory, Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, CLN 309, Massachusetts General Hospital, Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Med Pract Manage 18:211-5. 2003..that simulates reality, is becoming a practical, affordable technology for the teaching and practice of clinical medicine. Although limited-fidelity virtual reality systems have been used in medical education for decades, modern, ..
- Structural violence and clinical medicinePaul E Farmer
Department of Social Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS Med 3:e449. 2006
- Attitudes among students and teachers on vertical integration between clinical medicine and basic science within a problem-based undergraduate medical curriculumJ Brynhildsen
Division of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linkoping University Hospital, Linkoping, Sweden
Med Teach 24:286-8. 2002....
- Obstacles facing translational research in academic medical centersJ S Pober
Interdepartmental Program in Vascular Biology and Transplantation, Yale University School of Medicine, Boyer Center for Molecular Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06536 0812, USA
FASEB J 15:2303-13. 2001..We offer several suggestions to reduce these impediments...
- Nutrigenomics: concepts and applications to pharmacogenomics and clinical medicineJim Kaput
Department of Surgery, University of Illinois Chicago, 909 South Wolcott Street MC 958, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Pharmacogenomics 8:369-90. 2007..Nutrigenomic concepts, research strategies and clinical implementation are similar to and overlap those of pharmacogenomics, and both are fundamental to the treatment of disease and maintenance of optimal health...
- Physicians' attitudes toward race, genetics, and clinical medicineVence L Bonham
Social and Behavioral Research Branch, National Human Genome Research Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Genet Med 11:279-86. 2009....
- Integrating genomic and clinical medicine: searching for susceptibility genes in complex lung diseasesAnkit A Desai
Section of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, 5841 S Maryland Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Transl Res 151:181-93. 2008The integration of molecular, genomic, and clinical medicine in the post-genome era provides the promise of novel information on genetic variation and pathophysiologic cascades...
- On the goals of medicine, health enhancement and social welfareL Nordenfelt
Department of Health and Society, University of Linkoping, 58183 Linkoping, Sweden
Health Care Anal 9:15-23. 2001..2) From this position I expand the topic further by comparing medicine and health enhancement with social welfare and try to trace the basic features between--as well as the common properties of--these different enterprises...
- Research guidelines for assessing the impact of healing relationships in clinical medicineWilliam L Miller
Healing Relationships in Clinical Medicine Writing Group, Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network, Allentown, PA, USA
Altern Ther Health Med 9:A80-95. 2003This paper charts a course for assessing the impact of healing relationships in clinical medicine. The system of healing relationships is multidimensional, longitudinal, contextual, and emergent...
- International collaboration of clinical medicine research in Taiwan, 1990-2004: a bibliometric analysisTzeng Ji Chen
Department of Family Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, and National Yang Ming University School of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan, R O C
J Chin Med Assoc 70:110-6. 2007..The aim of this study was to analyze the trends in Taiwan's ISI publications in clinical medicine from 1990 to 2004...
- European guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice: third joint task force of European and other societies on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice (constituted by representatives of eight societies and by invitGuy De Backer
European Society of Cardiology
Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 10:S1-S10. 2003..The Committee is also responsible for the endorsement of these guidelines or statements...
- Process of measuring in clinical medicine--implications of different definitions in clinical therapeutic studiesAndree Beckerling
IFE Institute for Research and Development at the University Witten Herdecke, Witten, Germany
Digestion 75:25-31. 2007..In this short review we discuss the problem of the establishment of a cut-off level on the basis of devices and we try to point out a solution to solve the arising problems...
- The Affordable Care Act and the future of clinical medicine: the opportunities and challengesRobert Kocher
National Economic Council, Office of Management and Budget, The White House, Washington, DC 20502, USA
Ann Intern Med 153:536-9. 2010..Under the Affordable Care Act, physicians who effectively collaborate with other providers to improve patient outcomes, the value of medical services, and patient experiences will thrive and be the leaders of the health care system...
- Teaching the psychosocial aspects of care in the clinical setting: practical recommendationsDavid E Kern
Division of General Internal Medicine, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center B 235, 4940 Eastern Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21224 2780, USA
Acad Med 80:8-20. 2005..For these problems, where high-level evidence exists, specific psychosocial questions for screening and case finding are provided...
- Epigenetic mechanisms regulating normal and malignant haematopoiesis: new therapeutic targets for clinical medicineConstanze Bonifer
Section of Experimental Haematology, Leeds Institute of Molecular Medicine, St James s University Hospital, University of Leeds, Leeds, LS97TF, UK
Expert Rev Mol Med 12:e6. 2010..It also summarises the results of recent clinical trials trying to reverse aberrant epigenetic regulation by employing agents influencing global epigenetic regulators...
- A review of the use of ethyl glucuronide as a marker for ethanol consumption in forensic and clinical medicineRobert B Palmer
University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado, USA
Semin Diagn Pathol 26:18-27. 2009..The following review briefly explores the history, utility, and limitations of EtG in contemporary medical and forensic practice...
- Complex disease and the new clinical sciencesJonathan Rees
Systems Group, Department of Dermatology, University of Edinburgh, The Lauriston Building, Lauriston Place, Edinburgh EH3 9YW, UK
Science 296:698-700. 2002..At the same time, clinical discovery and patient-oriented research have become less common. Here, I suggest that these developments are interdependent, each representing the flip side of an inaccurate view of how clinical advance occurs...
- Domestic violence and clinical medicine: learning from our patients and from our fearsElaine J Alpert
J Gen Intern Med 17:162-3. 2002
- Genomic medicine: bringing biomarkers to clinical medicineDavid Seo
Center for Genomic Medicine, Institute for Genome Sciences and Policy, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Curr Opin Chem Biol 9:381-6. 2005..Several important classes of biomarkers result from these analyses which, when translated to clinical medicine and drug development, will have an important impact on human health and disease...
- Neural and cognitive basis of spiritual experience: biopsychosocial and ethical implications for clinical medicineJames Giordano
Center for Clinical Bioethics, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
Explore (NY) 2:216-25. 2006..We seek to demonstrate the importance of SE to clinical medicine by illustrating biological, cognitive, and psychosocial domains of effect...
- Public Health Information Network--improving early detection by using a standards-based approach to connecting public health and clinical medicineClaire V Broome
Office of the Director, CDC, 1600 Clifton Rd, Mailstop D 68, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 53:199-202. 2004..To ensure this crucial interoperability, all information systems supported by federal funding for state and local preparedness capacity are required to adhere to the Public Health Information Network standards...
- Principles of clinical medicine: Oregon Health Sciences University School of MedicineS A Fields
Department of Family Medicine, Oregon Health Sciences University School of Medicine, Portland 97201, USA
Acad Med 73:25-31. 1998In 1992, the School of Medicine at Oregon Health Sciences University inaugurated a Principles of Clinical Medicine (PCM) course as part of an overall curricular revision...
- American medical education 100 years after the Flexner reportMolly Cooke
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, USA
N Engl J Med 355:1339-44. 2006
- A student-designed and student-led sexual-history-taking module for second-year medical studentsHeather Leeper
MS II, Chicago Medical School, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, North Chicago, Illinois 60064, USA
Teach Learn Med 19:293-301. 2007..This article describes a sexual-history-taking module that was initiated, designed, and presented by 2nd-year medical students for their peers as part of the required Introduction to Clinical Medicine (ICM) course.
- Current perspectives on medical education in ChinaTai Pong Lam
Family Medicine Unit, Department of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Apleichau, Hong Kong, China
Med Educ 40:940-9. 2006..China has a long tradition of education and medicine. However, limited economic conditions and a huge population mean that further development of medical education in China must be tailored to meet the country's needs...
- Glory days. What price glory?Thomas P Duffy
Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Pharos Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Med Soc 68:22-30. 2005
- Modelling medicineGeoffrey Squires
Institute for Learning, University of Hull, UK
Med Educ 36:1077-82. 2002..These 3 basic characteristics give rise to three questions: What do doctors do? What affects what they do? How do they do it? Similar questions can be applied to other professions...
- Presentation of the 2004 Kober Medal to K. Frank AustenJeffrey M Drazen
J Clin Invest 114:1174-6. 2004
- Twelve tips to improve bedside teachingSubha Ramani
Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston 02118, USA
Med Teach 25:112-5. 2003..Although obstacles to bedside teaching are acknowledged, this article in the '12 tips' series is a detailed description of teaching strategies that could facilitate a return to the bedside for clinical teaching...
- Health coaching: innovative education and clinical programs emergingMary Jo Kreitzer
School of Nursing, University of Minnesota, Mineapolis, MN, USA
Explore (NY) 4:154-5. 2008
- Integrative patient-centered careMary P Guerrera
J Altern Complement Med 14:454. 2008
- Response to a proposal for an integrative medicine curriculumPatricia J Benjamin
J Altern Complement Med 13:1021-33. 2007..This discussion led to a formal process for responding to the issues raised by the paper...
- Constructing clinical scienceNatale Gaspare De Santo
Second University of Naples
Med Secoli 17:65-93. 2005..However experimentation on animals, as well as practical bedside teaching at the hospital also became important. Through their work hospitals and universities were associated in a common goal...
- Lifting the fog of uncertainty from the practice of medicineBenjamin Djulbegovic
BMJ 329:1419-20. 2004
- Distributing menus to hungry learners: can learning by simulation become simulation of learning?John Bligh
Peninsula Medical School, University of Exeter, UK
Med Teach 28:606-13. 2006..Work-based and simulation-based learning could engage in a new dialogue for an effective clinical education...
- [Teaching of microsurgery--in service of research and clinical practice]Endre Brath
Debreceni Egyetem, Orvos és Egészségtudományi Centrum, Sebészeti Mutéttani Tanszék, Debrecen
Magy Seb 58:111-5. 2005..Effectiveness of the education is most successful if we organize small groups, if one teacher deals with a maximum of two or three candidates...
- Teaching at the bedside: a new modelRegina W Janicik
New York University School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, New York, NY 10012, USA
Med Teach 25:127-30. 2003The patient is at the center of clinical medicine. In order to effectively teach clinical skills a teacher must learn to involve patients in the educational process...
- Video and qualitative research: analysing medical practice and interactionChristian Heath
King s College London, London, UK
Med Educ 41:109-16. 2007..As a resource for research, and more specifically within qualitative social science studies of medical practice, video has proved less pervasive, despite its obvious advantages...
- Rational and irrational clinical strategies for collaborative medicineMilt Hammerly
Catholic Health Initiatives, Denver, Colo 80202, USA
Am J Med Qual 17:189-94. 2002..On the basis of these principles, a rational clinical strategy for collaborative medicine is described to help optimize the quality and safety of patient care...
- Early practical experience and the social responsiveness of clinical education: systematic reviewSonia Littlewood
Hope Hospital University of Manchester School of Medicine, Manchester M6 8HD
BMJ 331:387-91. 2005..To find how early experience in clinical and community settings ("early experience") affects medical education, and identify strengths and limitations of the available evidence...
- Progress notes updated: the consortium and other developments in education in complementary and integrative medicineVictor S Sierpina
Altern Ther Health Med 14:20-2. 2008
- State of the science on postacute rehabilitation: setting a research agenda and developing an evidence base for practice and public policy: an introductionAllen W Heinemann
Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, and Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL USA
J Neuroeng Rehabil 4:43. 2007..The full set of symposium articles, including recommendations for future research, appear in Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation...
- An interview with 2006-07 MSMA president Eric E. Lindstrnom, MD, MPH. Interview by Karen A. EversEric E Lindstrom
J Miss State Med Assoc 47:240-5. 2006
- Bedside teaching of medical studentsS Wamique Yusuf
Am J Med 118:1304-5; author reply 1305. 2005
- [Dr. Ignacio Chavez conference. About the vanishing art of curing]Vicente Guarner
Hospital Angeles del Pedregal, Camino de Santa Teresa 1055, Consultorio 235, Z P 10700
Gac Med Mex 138:389-93. 2002
- Teaching clinical competenceEdward Weissman
Am J Med 118:1302-3; author reply 1303-4. 2005
- Fundamental elements of good patient careE Wayne Martz
Del Med J 76:435-7. 2004
- Learning clinical neurophysiology: gaming is better than lecturesLori Schuh
Department of Neurology, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
J Clin Neurophysiol 25:167-9. 2008....
- W. Proctor Harvey: a master clinician-teacher's influence on the history of cardiovascular medicineS Kimara March
Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Tex Heart Inst J 29:182-92. 2002..In the 2nd half of the 20th century, W. Proctor Harvey helped to keep alive the classic art of medicine...
- Sir William Osler founder of Anglo-American Scientific Clinical Medicine and its teachingE M M Besterman
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medical Sciences, The University of the West Indies, Kingston 7, Jamaica, West Indies
West Indian Med J 54:155-6. 2005
- Making the history of psychology clinically and philosophically relevantHendrika Vande Kemp
Graduate School of Psychology, Fuller Theological Seminary
Hist Psychol 5:224-39. 2002..She describes how she uses the field of psychotheological integration to illustrate principles of historiography and summarizes resources used to supplement traditional textbooks...
- President's address: "spacetime" and the academic and clinical missions of medical schoolsRobert M Carey
University of Virginia, P O Box 801414, UVA Health System, Charlottesville, VA 22908 1414, USA
Trans Am Clin Climatol Assoc 114:1-35. 2003
- PhD programs adopt bench-to-bedside model to speed translational researchBridget M Kuehn
JAMA 295:1506-7. 2006
- The yin and yang of integrative clinical care, education, and researchKathi J Kemper
Pediatrics, Public Health Sciences, Family and Community Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Explore (NY) 3:37-41. 2007..This paper describes the yin-yang model as a way to integrate and enhance the understanding of different cultures of healthcare...
- Teaching beliefs of medical educators: perspectives on clinical teaching in pediatricsEdward W Taylor
Penn State University, Harrisburg, Middletown, PA, USA
Med Teach 29:371-6. 2007..Given the lack of research on how medical educators in clinical settings view their teaching, the purpose of this qualitative study was to explore the teaching beliefs of faculty in a pediatrics department in a college of medicine...
- Twelve tips for use of a white board in clinical teaching: reviving the chalk talkJay D Orlander
Medical Service, VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Med Teach 29:89-92. 2007..This paper offers suggestions on using the board in clinical teaching in order to enhance the educational process through better engagement of the learners...
- Hermann Boerhaave (1668-1738) postal stamps issued on HermannJ V Pai-Dhungat
Dept of Medicine, TN Medical College and BYL Nair Ch Hospital, Mumbai 400 008
J Assoc Physicians India 54:658. 2006
- Core competencies in integrative medicine for medical school curricula: a proposalBenjamin Kligler
Beth Israel Center for Health and Healing, New York, NY 10016, USA
Acad Med 79:521-31. 2004....
- Identifying and training effective clinical teachers--new directions in clinical teacher trainingEugen Molodysky
University of Sydney, and Clinical Teacher Training Program, SIGPET, Sydney, New South Wales
Aust Fam Physician 35:53-5. 2006..These are grouped into four thematic categories--personal attributes, educational theory and principles, core clinical teaching skills, and mentored instructional activities...
- [Giovanbattista da Monte (Montanus): father of modern clinical medicine]Diego Franceschetti
Med Secoli 17:151-9. 2005..Practical clinical training was thus introduced as the crucial moment in the formation of the physician...
- Teaching on the run tips 2: educational guides for teaching in a clinical settingFiona R Lake
Education Centre, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Australia
Med J Aust 180:527-8. 2004
- Learning and teaching in the clinical environmentJohn Spencer
University of Newcastle upon Tyne
BMJ 326:591-4. 2003
- Clinical skills training: time for a national dialogue and consensusAlex J Mechaber
Am J Med 118:931-2. 2005
- Feedback and reflection: teaching methods for clinical settingsWilliam T Branch
Division of General Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, 1525 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Acad Med 77:1185-8. 2002..When used well, reflection will promote the growth of the individual. While feedback is not used often enough, reflection is probably used even less...
- The mentor and the trainee in academic clinical medicineTadeusz S Tolloczko
Dept of General, Vascular and Transplantation Surgery, Warsaw Medical University, Poland
Sci Eng Ethics 12:95-102. 2006..The situation is, in its far-reaching consequences, tragic in which the "insufficiently tutored teach". Both physician and teacher, and especially physician-teacher, are not only professions, but also callings...
- Clinical education: teachers and Stritter's studentBrian Jolly
Monash University, Victoria, Australia
Med Educ 40:604-6. 2006
- Mindfulness in medicineDavid S Ludwig
Department of Medicine, Children s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
JAMA 300:1350-2. 2008
- Shaping your career to maximize personal satisfaction in the practice of oncologyTait Shanafelt
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hematology, Rochester, MN, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:4020-6. 2006....
- The second greatest benefit to mankind?Cyril Chantler
The King s Fund, London, UK
Lancet 360:1870-7. 2002
- Are clinician-scientists an endangered species? Barriers to clinician-scientist trainingRachel G Khadaroo
University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont
Clin Invest Med 25:260-1. 2002
- Careers in clinical academic medicine: new opportunities or old threats?Christopher D Buckley
Medical Research Council Centre for Immune Regulation, Division of Immunity and Infection, University of Birmingham
Clin Med 7:79-81. 2007..It looks as though many of these 'ifs' will now be fulfilled within the reforming agenda of MMC...
- Interview with Nancy Sung, Kate Ahlport, and Enriqueta C. Bond, Burroughs Wellcome FundNancy Sung
J Investig Med 53:217-21. 2005
- World hypotheses and the evolution of integrative medicine: combining categorical diagnoses and cause-effect interventions with whole systems research and nonvisualizable (seemingly "impossible") healingGary E Schwartz
Departmentsof Psychology, Laboratory for Advances in Consciousness and Health, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA
Explore (NY) 2:509-14. 2006....
- The challenges of systematic reviews of educational researchJill Morrison
University of Glasgow, General Practice and Primary Care, Glasgow G12 9LX
BMJ 331:391. 2005
- Barriers to women clinician-scientists: a trainee's perspectiveLorraine V Kalia
Clin Invest Med 26:15-6. 2003
- The University of Toronto MD/PhD program: is there gender equity?Sandra McGugan
Clin Invest Med 26:8. 2003
- A randomized effectiveness trial of a clinical informatics consult service: impact on evidence-based decision-making and knowledge implementationShelagh A Mulvaney
Vanderbilt University Medical Center, School of Nursing, 461 21 Avenue South, Nashville, TN 37240, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 15:203-11. 2008..To determine the effectiveness of providing synthesized research evidence to inform patient care practices via an evidence based informatics program, the Clinical Informatics Consult Service (CICS)...
- A new approach to bridging content gaps in the clinical curriculumMichael D Landry
Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA, USA
Med Teach 29:e47-50. 2007..The series utilizes five adult learning principles...
- Medical practice and medical education 1500-2001: an overviewReginald Magee
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
ANZ J Surg 74:272-6. 2004..In reality, medical knowledge regarding disease and its management was minimal. The present paper is an overview of the education and training of those who practised in medicine before the subject began to develop into a science...
- Current status of medical grand rounds in departments of medicine at US medical schoolsPaul S Mueller
Division of General Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 81:313-21. 2006..To assess the status of medical grand rounds (MGR) as an educational endeavor...
- Current thinking in the evidence-based health care debateA Miles
J Eval Clin Pract 9:95-109. 2003
- Educational and career outcomes of an internal medicine preceptorship for first-year medical studentsD M Elnicki
Department of Medicine, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
J Gen Intern Med 14:341-6. 1999..MEASUREMENTS AND MAIN RESULTS: The following outcomes were assessed: scores in the introduction to clinical medicine course; grades in the medical ethics course; scores from the internal medicine clerkship; and choosing a ..
- [The contribution of molecular genetics to the nosology and diagnosis of neurological disorders of childhood]J Aicardi
, , Francia
Rev Neurol 28:1-4. 1999..a few reflections on their consequences and to try to assess their impact on some of the basic concepts in clinical medicine. DEVELOPMENT: The main advantages attributable to the use of molecular genetics are the identification of ..
- Computer literature searches on dengueG Kuno
Dengue Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00921 3200
Bull World Health Organ 71:165-72. 1993..of retrieval of references in molecular biology were generally satisfactory (mostly > 70%), those in clinical medicine and epidemiology were not (< 50%)...
- [Bouveret's tachycardia]R Grolleau
Service de cardiologie A, , 371, avenue du Doyen-Gaston-Giraud, 34295 Montpellier
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 94:9-22. 2001..This is an occasion to review the variety of clinical medicine in the accuracy of a rhythmological diagnosis without forgetting that the electrocardiogram is essential ..
- Complex Isopathic Drug Development for NeuroprotectionWayne Jonas; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- CLINICAL SEARCH RETRIEVAL FROM FOUR ELECTRONIC DATABASESR Haynes; Fiscal Year: 2007..g., sensitivity); and evaluating the usefulness of the clinical hedges in the intended users group, clinicians. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MESA Family StudyKarol Watson; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Quality of Life Over Time: DCIS vs Early Breast CancerDonna Jeffe; Fiscal Year: 2007..Findings from this study may lead to ways to improve the QOL of women diagnosed with DCIS. ..
- Immunologic Basis of Cow Milk Induced HypersensitvitiesHugh Sampson; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Imaging Vaccina Viral-Host PathogenesisGary Luker; Fiscal Year: 2007..Collectively, the research is expected to facilitate the development of improved vaccines and treatments for smallpox, thereby enhancing our ability to prevent the use of smallpox for bioterrorism. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Wavelets, fractals and fMRI of brain adaptivityEdward Bullmore; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will also test hypotheses concerning the main effect of aging and the interactive effect of drugs and age on brain adaptivity. ..
- Silicon Graphics Prism Extreme 128P/1TBALMA SORENSEN; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Early EMS and ED Use of GIK for ACS: The IMMEDIATE TrialHARRY SELKER; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Near-Infrared Quantum Dots for In Vivo ImagingJOHN FRANGIONI; Fiscal Year: 2006..If completed, the specific aims of this proposal will generate a clinically useful set of contrast agents, and a more complete understanding of the in vivo behavior of fluorescent semiconductor nanocrystals. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Measurement of pO2 in tissues in vivo and in vitroHarold Swartz; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Presurgery Hypnosis in Breast Cancer: Benefits AnalysisGuy Montgomery; Fiscal Year: 2006..Mediators and moderators (e.g., hypnotizability) of hypnosis effects will be determined, as well as long-term side benefits of the intervention. ..
- Glycemic Index, Obesity, Insulin Resistance and CVD RiskDavid Ludwig; Fiscal Year: 2005..The project's key personnel and consultants include individuals with a diversity of expertise and perspective, ensuring a rigorous and impartial evaluation of study hypotheses. ..
- Placebo: Physician or Pill? RCT in a commom cold modelBruce Barrett; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Combined Therapeutic-Imaging Agent for AtherosclerosisGregory Lanza; Fiscal Year: 2007..This novel application of molecular imaging and targeted drug delivery could serve as part of a primary prevention strategy to diagnose, treat, and monitor early atherosclerosis. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Determination of Clinical Feasibility of EPR Oximetry of TumorsHarold Swartz; Fiscal Year: 2007..Determining the feasibility of continuous measurements for up to 120 minutes. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- REGULATION OF ACTIN FILAMENT FORMATION IN PHAGOCYTESFrederick Southwick; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies may provide new strategies for defending against infections, controlling auto-immune diseases and regulating the timing of cell death. ..
- Sharing canonical human stroke dataOna Wu; Fiscal Year: 2010..Linking our existing portals with BIRN resources has the potential to greatly facilitate data sharing which will benefit the understanding of stroke and speed discovery of new therapeutic interventions. ..
- A Framework Based Clinical Documentation Evaluation MethodSAMUEL T ROSENBLOOM; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed project will transition the PI from his current National Library of Medicine supported period of career development to an independent informatics investigator. ..
- Fellowship in Health Services ResearchWilliam Moran; Fiscal Year: 2008..The fellows will participate in the Master of Science in Clinical Research program in the Department of Biometry and Epidemiology and complete research projects and grant applications. ..
- MUTATION ANALYSIS OF THYROID HORMONE FUNCTIONJohn Baxter; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies should provide substantial insight into TR function that is relevant for understanding TR action, mechanism of action of other NRs, regulation of gene expression and pharmaceutical design. ..
- BioMEMS From Research Discovery to Technology to ClinicJAMES MURDAY; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Automated Storage and Retrieval of Biological SystemsDan Roden; Fiscal Year: 2008..Accordingly, this proposal requests a high end instrument to accomplish these goals, and to thereby enable a new era of Personalized Medicine. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Latinos Using Cardio Health Actions to Reduce RiskSheana Bull; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- RAPID AFFORDABLE TB DRUG SUSCEPTIBILITY TESTINGHoward Shapiro; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cultural Competency Training in Latino HealthDesiree Lie; Fiscal Year: 2008..A central web resource will disseminate case-based instruction and relevant pertinent research on health disparities. ..
- Popular Diets, Metabolism, and CVD RiskDavid Ludwig; Fiscal Year: 2008..This study should have major public health implications to the millions of Americans currently following diets to decrease body weight and risk for CVD. ..
- Evaluating Hospital Outcomes for Injured PatientsDavid Clark; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Causal Models for CVD Use by Aspirin and Vitamin E in the Women's Health StudyNancy Cook; Fiscal Year: 2008..The findings of reduced risk of CVD mortality, however, as well as effects by age, should be explored further to clarify the public health message. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Brain Glucose Metabolism and Hypoglycemia UnawarenessCORNELIS TACK; Fiscal Year: 2005..The long-term objective of this project is to find new targets that allow a more problem-oriented approach to manage and/or reverse hypoglycemia unawareness. ..
- AFFORDABLE RAPID BACTERIAL DETECTION IN STORED PLATELETSHoward Shapiro; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Becton Dickinson LSR 2 Flow CytometerJonni Moore; Fiscal Year: 2004..This will allow investigators to pursue many areas of research, previously with limited availability, which will result in increased funding and advancement of biomedical science. ..
- A 3.0 Tesla MRI System in a Neuroscience ICUALMA SORENSEN; Fiscal Year: 2004..Since these subjects are difficult to bring to the instrumentation, we seek to gain these insights by bringing the instrumentation to them. The proposed instrument will bring state-of-the-art performance to a unique setting. ..
- LOW-MOLECULAR WEIGHT LIGANDS FOR PROSTATE CANCERJOHN FRANGIONI; Fiscal Year: 2003..We believe that prostate- specific, low-molecular weight ligands will someday be clinically useful reagents for improved prostate cancer detection and guided therapy. ..
- COLLAGEN PEPTIDES AND SUPPRESSION OF COLLAGEN ARTHRITISAndrew Kang; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- MRI OF STRUCTURE/FUNCTION IN TEMPORAL LOBE EPILEPSYJohn Detre; Fiscal Year: 2003..Validation of an fMRI protocol for assessing memory function will improve the safety and quality of the preoperative assessment for temporal lobectomy, and may have important implications for neurosurgical planning and prognosis. ..
- Airway Epithelial Gene Expression in COPDJerome Brody; Fiscal Year: 2003..We believe that these studies will lead to "class prediction" models that can subsequently be tested using custom-designed (rather than discovery arrays) in larger populations of smokers with and without COPD. ..
- PHYSIOLOGY & PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF ACTIVATION FLOW COUPLINGJohn Detre; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will provide further insight into the parameters affecting the AFC response, and will suggest approaches for optimizing and interpreting functional imaging data. ..
- A RCT OF COMPUTER SCREENING FOR DOMESTIC VIOLENCEDavid Howes; Fiscal Year: 2002..The study results may be generalizable to many other EDs with a variety of populations. Further the data will be available for future investigations of communication in the ED. ..
- MOLECULAR IMAGING OF ADVANCED BLADDER CANCERJOHN FRANGIONI; Fiscal Year: 2002..We believe that bladder cancer-specific, low-molecular weight ligands will someday be clinically useful reagents for improved detection and guided therapy of transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder. ..
- Near infrared/MR system for imaging brain oxygenationHarold Swartz; Fiscal Year: 2004..This grant will produce a novel imaging modality which can non-invasively monitor cerebral oxygenation, structure, and blood flow. ..
- Intralumbar Injection for Cancer Therapy using I-131 NalFranklin Wong; Fiscal Year: 2004..Correlation of dosages and dosimetry with toxicity and/or efficacy will be used to design future Phase II/III studies. ..
- NEUROPSYCHIATRIC EFFECTS OF TESTOSTERONE IN MENStuart Seidman; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Imaging Archive for Magnetic Resonance Imaging SystemsALMA SORENSEN; Fiscal Year: 2005..Overall, this needed resource will greatly facilitate many NIH-funded investigators and investigations for years to come. ..
- Pathophysiology/Clinical Outcomes/Patients/EndocarditisChristopher Cabell; Fiscal Year: 2005..The findings of this study have implications not only for clinical care but will also provide a foundation of knowledge and network of investigators from which subsequent randomized trials can be conducted. ..
- Perfusion fMRI in Cocaine AddictionJohn Detre; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Imaging Biomarkers for Cancer Drug DevelopmentALMA SORENSEN; Fiscal Year: 2004..The planning grant revolves around three aims: to confer a multidisciplinary partnership to work towards this goal; to select a set of demonstration projects, and to develop an operating plan for the partnership. ..
- APICAL JUNCTIONAL COMPLEXES OF THE RPELAWRENCE RIZZOLO; Fiscal Year: 2006..Recent advances in the development of reagents coupled with this novel culture model will advance our understanding of this essential structure of the outer blood-retinal barrier. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Perfusion MRI for multisite studies of brain functionJohn A Detre; Fiscal Year: 2010..The resulting technology will be made available to the biomedical community as a research product. ..
- Mechanism of aPL antibody-induced Pregnancy lossJane E Salmon; Fiscal Year: 2010..Additionally, understanding how aPL antibodies "cause" pregnancy loss may translate into new concepts about maternal-fetal tolerance and miscarriages in general and benefit women with non-APS- related pregnancy complications. ..
- REGULATION OF CITRATE TRANSPORTLee Hamm; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- MRI DIFFUSION/PERFUSION MISMATCH IN HUMAN ACUTE STROKEALMA SORENSEN; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Presurgery Hypnosis--Benefits Analysis in Breast CancerGuy Montgomery; Fiscal Year: 2003..The possible mediational role of these factors in hypnosis effects will be examined will classic statistical approaches. ..
- CLINICAL RESEARCH CURRICULUMHARRY SELKER; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- COMBINING N-OF-1 TRIALS TO ASSESS FIBROMYALGIA THERAPIESDeborah Zucker; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Re-Engineering Basic and Clinical Research to Catalyze Translational NanoscienceJAMES MURDAY; Fiscal Year: 2008..Ultimately, this conference will provide critical new insights into how nanoscience discoveries can be rapidly translated into clinical practice to revolutionize healthcare. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- REVERSAL OF DECLINE OF GH SECRETION OF AGINGMichael Thorner; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- PREDICTING DEPRESSION OUTCOMES IN MEDICALLY ILL ELDERSHarold Koenig; Fiscal Year: 2003..It will also provide important information to both guide future clinical trials and identify barriers to effective treatment of depression in these patients. ..
- HEPATIC DRUG TRANSPORTERS IN DRUG DISPOSITIONDan Roden; Fiscal Year: 2006..Moreover, variability in the extent of rifampin-mediated induction of the drug metabolizing enzyme, CYP3A, among subjects with variant OATP-C alleles, will also be tested. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Glycemic Load and infant birth weight in pregnant/glucose intolerant womenDavid Ludwig; Fiscal Year: 2007..A successful outcome of this study will provide preliminary data upon which to design a multi- centered clinical trial. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Complement as a Mediator of Recurrent MiscarriagesJane Salmon; Fiscal Year: 2008..In addition, our studies will provide insights into mechanisms by which complement-induces disease and suggest means to prevent, arrest, or modify complement-mediated inflammatory disorders. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Reducing Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Consumption in Overweight AdolescentsDavid S Ludwig; Fiscal Year: 2010..These results should have immediat public health application, and aid in the design of future, comprehensive obesity prevention interventions. ..
- Targets for New Therapeutics for SLEJane Salmon; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- OBSERVATIONAL COHORT STUDY OF SODIUM, WEIGHT AND CVDNancy Cook; Fiscal Year: 2003..This cohort provides a unique resource to address the impact in a normotensive population of salt restriction and weight change on subsequent cardiovascular events. ..
- Sugar-sweetened Beverages and Weight Gain in ChildrenDavid Ludwig; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- LIPOPROTEIN AND ADIPOSE TISSUE METABOLISM IN HIVLars Berglund; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..