Genomes and Genes
Summary: The primary testis-determining gene in mammalians, located on the Y CHROMOSOME. It codes for a high mobility group box transcription factor (TRANSCRIPTION FACTORS) which initiates the development of the TESTES from the embryonic GONADS.
Publications178 found, 100 shown here
- Molecular analysis in true hermaphroditism: demonstration of low-level hidden mosaicism for Y-derived sequences in 46,XX casesGloria Queipo
Hospital General de Mexico Facultad de Medicina, UNAM, Dr Balmis 148 Col Doctores CP 06726, Mexico City, Mexico
Hum Genet 111:278-83. 2002....
- Delayed Sry and Sox9 expression in developing mouse gonads underlies B6-Y(DOM) sex reversalMonica Bullejos
Institute for Molecular Bioscience, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland 4072, Australia
Dev Biol 278:473-81. 2005....
- Direct regulation of adult brain function by the male-specific factor SRYPhoebe Dewing
Department of Human Genetics, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angles, California 90095, USA
Curr Biol 16:415-20. 2006..These results demonstrate a direct male-specific effect on the brain by a gene encoded only in the male genome, without any mediation by gonadal hormones...
- Assignment of SRY, ANT3, and CSF2RA to the bovine Y chromosome by FISH and RH mappingWan Sheng Liu
Department of Animal Biotechnology, College of Agriculture, Biotechnology, and Natural Resources, University of Nevada, Reno, Nevada 89557, USA
Anim Biotechnol 15:103-9. 2004....
- Skewed X-chromosome inactivation pattern in SRY positive XX maleness: a case report and review of literatureNouha Bouayed Abdelmoula
Laboratoire d Histologie Embryologie, Faculte de Medecine de Sfax, Avenue Magida Boulila, CP 3029, Sfax, Tunisia
Ann Genet 46:11-8. 2003....
- Sox9 is sufficient for functional testis development producing fertile male mice in the absence of SryYangjun Qin
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Hum Mol Genet 14:1221-9. 2005..These data indicate that activation of SOX9 in the gonad is sufficient to trigger all the downstream events needed for the development of a fully fertile male and provide evidence that Sox9 may down-regulate Wnt4 expression in the gonad...
- A novel frame shift mutation in the HMG box of the SRY gene in a patient with complete 46,XY pure gonadal dysgenesisRichard Kellermayer
Department of Medical Genetics, University of Pecs, Pecs, Hungary
Diagn Mol Pathol 14:159-63. 2005..The present findings further support the functional importance of the putative DNA binding activity of the SRY HMG-box domain...
- 46,XX male: clinical, hormonal/genetic findingsG Castineyra
Division Endocrinologia, Hospital Carlos Durand, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Arch Androl 48:251-7. 2002..Testing new chromosomal markers should be of great value in the definition of clinical difference...
- Presence of fetal DNA in maternal plasma decades after pregnancyPietro Invernizzi
Division of Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, Surgery and Dentistry, San Paolo School of Medicine, University of Milan, Via di Rudini 8, 20142 Milan, Italy
Hum Genet 110:587-91. 2002..This finding has practical implications for non-invasive prenatal diagnoses based on maternal blood, and may be considered for possible pathophysiological correlations...
- Sexually dimorphic expression of the X-linked gene Eif2s3x mRNA but not protein in mouse brainJun Xu
Department of Physiological Science and Laboratory of Neuroendocrinology of the Brain Research Institute, University of California, Los Angeles, 90095 1606, USA
Gene Expr Patterns 6:146-55. 2006..The sex difference in Eif2s3x transcript appears not to be preserved at the protein level, since no difference in the levels of Eif2s3 protein was found between (1) males and females (2) XX and XY mice, or (3) XO and XX females...
- Expression of sex-determining genes in human sebaceous glands and their possible role in the pathogenesis of acneW Chen
Department of Dermatology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Kaohsiung Medical Center, Chang Gung University, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 20:846-52. 2006..Factors regulating cutaneous steroidogenesis associated with disease status remain largely unknown...
- Exclusion of candidate genes for canine SRY-negative XX sex reversalK Kothapalli
J A Baker Institute for Animal Health, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Hered 96:759-63. 2005..Our results indicate that the mutation causing canine SRY-negative XX sex reversal in this pedigree is unlikely to be located in regions containing these candidates...
- Mapping the SRY gene in Microtus cabrerae: a vole species with multiple SRY copies in males and femalesRosa Fernandez
Departamento de Psicobiologia, Facultad Ciencias de la Educación, Universidad de A Coruna, Spain
Genome 45:600-3. 2002..These copies are spread along the entire heterochromatic region of the X chromosome, occupying the whole short arm, the centromeric region, and the pericentromeric region of the long arm...
- Cell proliferation is necessary for the determination of male fate in the gonadJennifer Schmahl
Department of Cell Biology, Duke University, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Dev Biol 258:264-76. 2003..We believe these studies suggest that proliferation is involved not only in the elaboration of organ pattern, but also in the choice between patterns (male and female) in the bipotential gonad...
- Wnt4 is required for proper male as well as female sexual developmentKatherine Jeays-Ward
Section of Gene Function and Regulation, Institute of Cancer Research, 237 Fulham Road, London SW3 6JB, UK
Dev Biol 276:431-40. 2004..These results identify WNT4 as a new factor involved in the mammalian testis determination pathway and show that genes can have a specific but distinct role in both male and female gonad development...
- Profiling gene expression during the differentiation and development of the murine embryonic gonadChristopher L Small
Center for Reproductive Biology, School of Molecular Biosciences, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington 99164, USA
Biol Reprod 72:492-501. 2005..With this study, a large number of transcripts comprising the murine transcriptome can be examined throughout male and female embryonic gonad development and allow for a more complete description of gonad differentiation and development...
- Defective importin beta recognition and nuclear import of the sex-determining factor SRY are associated with XY sex-reversing mutationsVincent R Harley
Prince Henry s Institute of Medical Research, Melbourne 3168, Victoria, Australia
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:7045-50. 2003..This study documents cases of human disease being explained, at a molecular level, by the impaired ability of a protein to accumulate in the nucleus...
- Prenatal genotyping of RHD and SRY using maternal bloodI Randen
Department of Immunology and Transfusion Medicine, Ulleval University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Vox Sang 85:300-6. 2003..Duplex PCR, amplifying RHD and SRY in the same tube, was undertaken. The effect of varying storage temperatures on the concentration of fetal DNA was investigated in a separate study involving 10 RhD-negative pregnant women...
- Dax1 is required for testis determinationJoshua J Meeks
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Nat Genet 34:32-3. 2003..The orphan nuclear receptor, Dax1, was originally proposed to act as an 'anti-testis' factor. We find, however, that Nr0b1 (also called Dax1 and Ahch, which encodes Dax1) is in fact required for testis differentiation...
- [Sex differentiation and sex chromosomes]Toshikatsu Shinka
Department of Human Genetics and Public Health, Graduate School of Proteomics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokushima
Nihon Rinsho 62:247-54. 2004..Furthermore, the duplication of the partial region on the X chromosome including DAX-1 gene can also cause male-to-female sex reversal. The sex-determining system seems to be sensitive for the gene dosage or the gene expression level...
- [Sex differentiation of the mammalian gonad]Ken ichirou Morohashi
Tanpakushitsu Kakusan Koso 49:130-4. 2004
- Sry and the genetics of sex determinationBrian K Jordan
Department of Human Genetics, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 511:1-13; discussion 13-4. 2002
- A sporadic case of the sex-reversed mare (64,XY; SRY-negative): molecular and cytogenetic studies of the Y chromosomeMonika Bugno
Department of Immuno and Cytogenetics, National Research Institute of Animal Production, ul Krakowska 1, 32 083 Balice, Poland
Theriogenology 59:1597-603. 2003..It is postulated that during spermatogenesis in the sire two crossing-over events between the X and Y chromosomes occurred. One of them took place between the ZFY and SRY loci and another one between the SRY locus and the centromere...
- DNA methylation-mediated control of Sry gene expression in mouse gonadal developmentKoichiro Nishino
Department of Animal Resource Sciences Veterinary Medical Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Yayoi 1 1 1, Bukyo ku, Tokyo 113 8657
J Biol Chem 279:22306-13. 2004..5 dpc, while the hypermethylated status was maintained in tissues that do not express the Sry gene. We concluded that expression of the Sry gene is under the control of an epigenetic mechanism mediated by DNA methylation...
- Feasibility study for a microchip-based approach for noninvasive prenatal diagnosis of genetic diseasesL Cremonesi
Unit of Genomics for Diagnosis of Human Pathologies, Milan, Italy
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1022:105-12. 2004..The addition of peptide nucleic acids (PNAs) to either the PCR reaction or the chip hybridization mixture allowed approximately 50% inhibition of wild-type allele signals...
- Novel mutations affecting SRY DNA-binding activity: the HMG box N65H associated with 46,XY pure gonadal dysgenesis and the familial non-HMG box R30I associated with variable phenotypesJ G Assumpção
Centro de Biologia Molecular e Engenharia Genetica, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, 13083 970 Campinas, SP, Brazil
J Mol Med (Berl) 80:782-90. 2002..The R30I mutation is located upstream to the HMG box, within the (29)RRSSS(33) phosphorylation site. The E. coli expressed SRY(R30I) protein was poorly phosphorylated and consequently showed reduced DNA-binding capacity in vitro...
- [The genetics of sex determination]Francois Vialard
Service d Histologie, Embryologie, cytogenetique, Biologie de la Reproduction et Génétique Médicale, CHI Poissy Sant Germain, Poissy
J Soc Biol 196:197-205. 2002..Today, we still do not know how their products are epistatic in the sex determining cascade. So far no ovary sex determining gene has been characterised...
- Sry and the hesitant beginnings of male developmentJuan Carlos Polanco
Institute for Molecular Bioscience, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Dev Biol 302:13-24. 2007..What is clear is that instead of the robust gene one might expect as the pillar of male sexual development, Sry function hangs by a thin thread, a situation that has profound biological, medical and evolutionary implications...
- Amplification and application of the HMG box of bovine SRY gene for sex determinationWenfa Lu
College of Animal Science and Technology, Jilin Agricultural University, Changchun 130118, PR China
Anim Reprod Sci 100:186-91. 2007....
- A case of an intersex horse with 63,X/64,XX/65,XX,del(Y)(q?) karyotypeM Bugno
Department of Immuno and Cytogenetics, National Research Institute of Animal Production, Balice Kraków Equine Hospital in Gliwice, Gliwice, Poland
Cytogenet Genome Res 120:123-6. 2008..These results suggest that the Y chromosome fragment detected in the investigated animal was the result of a deletion of a euchromatic fragment comprising the above-mentioned markers...
- [Overview: molecular mechanisms of sex determination and differentiation in animals--generality and diversity]Yoshitaka Nagahama
Tanpakushitsu Kakusan Koso 49:97-101. 2004
- Sex chromosome chimerism and the freemartin syndrome in Rideau Arcott sheepM D Brace
Department of Biomedical Science, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada
Cytogenet Genome Res 120:132-9. 2008..Moreover, as it was shown that opposite sex cells can migrate to tissues other than blood and be transcriptionally active in chimeric sheep, we speculate on the role they can play in these animals...
- Epigenetic inactivation of the canonical Wnt antagonist SRY-box containing gene 17 in colorectal cancerWei Zhang
Division of Cancer Biology, The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Cancer Res 68:2764-72. 2008....
- Sex determining of cat embryo and some feline speciesFrancesca Ciani
Department of Biological Structures, Functions and Technologies, University of Naples Federico II, Via F Delpino, 1 80137 Naples, Italy
Zygote 16:169-77. 2008..This technique, therefore, affords investigators a new approach that they can insert in the safeguard programmes of felida biodiversity...
- Y chromosome mosaicism and occurrence of gonadoblastoma in cases of Turner syndrome and amenorrhoeaDeepak Modi
Cell Biology Department, Research Society, Bai Jerbai Wadia Hospital for Children, Parel, Mumbai, India
Reprod Biomed Online 15:547-53. 2007....
- Sex chromosome complement regulates habit formationJennifer J Quinn
Division of Molecular Psychiatry, Yale University, Connecticut Mental Health Center Abraham Ribicoff Research Facilities, 34 Park Street, New Haven, Connecticut 06508, USA
Nat Neurosci 10:1398-400. 2007....
- Human FATE is a novel X-linked gene expressed in fetal and adult testisC Olesen
Department of Medical Genetics, Wilhelm Johannsen Center for Functional Genome Research, Institute of Medical Biochemistry and Genetics, University of Copenhagen, DK 2200 Copenhagen N, Denmark
Mol Cell Endocrinol 184:25-32. 2001..We propose that FATE might represent a novel target gene of SF-1 in human testicular differentiation and/or germ cell development...
- 46,XX sex reversalJ C Zenteno-Ruiz
Department of Genetics, Hospital General de Mexico-Facultad de Medicina, , Mexico City, Mexico
Arch Med Res 32:559-66. 2001....
- Onset of sex differentiation: dialog between genes and cellsH Merchant-Larios
Departamento de Biologia Celular y Fisiologia, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico
Arch Med Res 32:553-8. 2001..Here, a correlation between known gene expression and gonadal morphologic changes is attempted...
- Erratic evolution of SRY in higher primatesXiaoxia Wang
Mol Biol Evol 19:582-4. 2002
- Sry promoters from domesticus (Tirano) and C57BL/6 mice function similarly in embryos and adult animalsM Xian
Division of Cell and Developmental Genetics, Department of Medicine, VA Medical Center, UCSF, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
J Exp Zool 290:632-41. 2001..These results are discussed with reference to a second hypothesis invoking incompatible protein interaction(s) as a mechanism of aberrant sex determination in B6.Y(Dom) animals...
- Genomic and expression analysis of multiple Sry loci from a single Rattus norvegicus Y chromosomeMonte E Turner
Department of Biology, The University of Akron, Akron, OH 44325 3908, USA
BMC Genet 8:11. 2007..We applied this fragment analysis method to both genomic DNA and cDNA prepared from mRNA from testis and adrenal gland of adult male rats...
- Phylogenetic relationships among cetaceans revealed by Y-chromosome sequencesShin Nishida
Department of Biodiversity, Graduate School of Social and Cultural Studies, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Zoolog Sci 24:723-32. 2007..The low homoplasy exhibited by the Y-chromosome data presented here suggests that an extended data set incorporating longer sequences would provide better resolution of cetacean lower-level pylogeny...
- Increased serum heat-shock protein 70 levels reflect systemic inflammation, oxidative stress and hepatocellular injury in preeclampsiaAttila Molvarec
1st Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
Cell Stress Chaperones 14:151-9. 2009..Nevertheless, further studies are required to determine whether circulating Hsp70 plays a causative role in the pathogenesis of the disease...
- Molecular evolution of Sry and Sox geneK Nagai
Tokyo Medical University, Department of Biochemistry, 160 8402, Tokyo, Japan
Gene 270:161-9. 2001..The functional relationship of Sox to Sry genes with special reference to sex determination is unclear except for a few items such as human autosomal Sox9...
- Transcriptional activity of testis-determining factor SRY is modulated by the Wilms' tumor 1 gene product, WT1Yumiko Matsuzawa-Watanabe
Department of Cancer Biology, The Institute of Medical Science, The University of Tokyo, 4 6 1 Shirokanedai, Minato ku, Tokyo 108 8639, Japan
Oncogene 22:7900-4. 2003..These results suggest that WT1 forms a complex with SRY to regulate transcription and that this WT1-SRY interaction is important in testis development...
- PCR-based methodology for molecular microchimerism detection and quantificationJosep Maria Pujal
Translational Research Laboratory, Institut Catala d Oncologia, Hospital Duran i Reynals, Avda Gran Via s n, Km 2 7, 08907 L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 233:1161-70. 2008..In conclusion, the standardization of molecular microchimerism detection techniques will allow for comparable interpretation of results in microchimerism detection for diagnostic or research studies...
- The porcine SRY promoter is transactivated within a male genital ridge environmentIsabelle Daneau
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Montreal, Saint Hyacinthe, Quebec, Canada
Genesis 33:170-80. 2002..This site is conserved in the 5' flanking sequences of bovine and human SRY genes but not in the mouse gene...
- Transplantation of neonatal cardiomyocytes plus fibrin sealant restores myocardial function in a rat model of myocardial infarctionYong shun Li
Department of Thorax cardiovascular Surgery, Second Hospital of Lanzhou University, Lanzhou 730000, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 120:2022-7. 2007..Most cardiac regenerative approaches can restore injured heart muscles. In this study, we investigated if fibrin sealant could help neonatal cardiomyocytes restore myocardial function in a rat model of myocardial infarction...
- A gene that is related to SRY and is expressed in the testes encodes a leucine zipper-containing proteinN Takamatsu
Department of Biosciences, School of Science, Kitasato University, Kanagawa, Japan
Mol Cell Biol 15:3759-66. 1995..striking contrast to the abrupt loss of amino acid sequence homology outside the HMG box found among mammalian SRY genes. In both rainbow trout and mice, Northern (RNA) blot analyses have revealed the presence of a testis-specific 3-..
- Evidence for increased prevalence of SRY mutations in XY females with complete rather than partial gonadal dysgenesisJ R Hawkins
Human Molecular Genetics Laboratory, Imperial Cancer Research Fund, London, United Kingdom
Am J Hum Genet 51:979-84. 1992..The presence of SRY mutations in three of five patients suggests that the frequency of SRY mutations in XY females is higher than current estimates...
- Neurobiology of escalated aggression and violenceKlaus A Miczek
Department of Psychology, Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts 02155, USA
J Neurosci 27:11803-6. 2007..Work with Sts or Sry genes suggests so far that other genes on the X chromosomes may have a more critical role in female mouse aggression...
- Anorectal anomalies associated with or as part of other anomaliesAlfred Cuschieri
Department of Anatomy, University of Malta, Msida
Am J Med Genet 110:122-30. 2002..The differential sex involvement in different types of anal anomaly may be manifestations of expression of the HY/SRY genes during blastogenesis or of X-linkage.
- Sex determining gene expression during embryogenesisR Lovell-Badge
Laboratory of Eukaryotic Molecular Genetics, MRC National Institute for Medical Research, Mill Hill, London, U K
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 339:159-64. 1993..Sequence comparisons between Sry genes from various species suggest that the HMG box is the only functional part of the protein...
- cDNA cloning, tissue expression, and chromosome mapping of human homolog of SOX18T Azuma
Helix Research Institute, Kisarazu, Chiba, Japan
J Hum Genet 45:192-5. 2000..By polymerase chain reaction (PCR)-based analyses with both a human/rodent monochromosomal hybrid cell panel and a radiation hybrid panel, the gene was mapped to the chromosome 20q13.33 region...
- Polymorphism of a CAG trinucleotide repeat within Sry correlates with B6.YDom sex reversalP Coward
Department of Medicine, VA Medical Center, University of California, San Francisco 94121
Nat Genet 6:245-50. 1994..We have analysed the Sry genes from several domesticus-type Y chromosomes and show that they encode smaller proteins than the molossinus-type ..
- The human and mouse sex-determining SRY genes repress the Rspol/beta-catenin signalingYun Fai Chris Lau
Division of Cell and Developmental Genetics, Department of Medicine, VA Medical Center, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
J Genet Genomics 36:193-202. 2009....
- Conservation of read-through transcription of the Drosophila serendipity genes during evolution is gratuitousS Ibnsouda
Centre de Biologie du Developpement, UMR 5547, CNRS Université Paul Sabatier, Toulouse, France
Mol Gen Genet 259:484-90. 1998..This conclusion is supported by the autonomous rate of evolutionary sequence divergence shown by each individual sry gene...
- A W-linked DM-domain gene, DM-W, participates in primary ovary development in Xenopus laevisShin Yoshimoto
Department of Bioscience, School of Science, Kitasato University, 1 15 1 Kitasato, Sagamihara, Kanagawa 228 8555, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:2469-74. 2008In the XX/XY sex-determining system, the Y-linked SRY genes of most mammals and the DMY/Dmrt1bY genes of the teleost fish medaka have been characterized as sex-determining genes that trigger formation of the testis...
- Expression and characterization of Xenopus laevis SRY-related cDNAs, xSox17alpha1, xSox17alpha2, xSox18alpha and xSox18betaMasanori Hasegawa
Department of Anatomy, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, Japan
Gene 290:163-72. 2002..4 knt. Electrophoretic mobility shift assays indicated that recombinant xSox18 polypeptide was capable of binding to the HMG consensus nucleotide sequence, AACAAT...
- Mutational analysis of SRY: nonsense and missense mutations in XY sex reversalJ R Hawkins
Imperial Cancer Research Fund, London, UK
Hum Genet 88:471-4. 1992..The number of de novo mutations in SRY is now doubled to four, adding further strength to the argument that SRY is TDF...
- Genetic characterization of two 46,XX males without gonadal ambiguitiesAgata Minor
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
J Assist Reprod Genet 25:547-52. 2008..To evaluate hypotheses which explain phenotypic variability in sex determining region Y positive 46,XX males. We investigate two 46,XX males without gonadal ambiguities...
- [Investigation of the role of hepatic oval cell in primary hepatocarcinogenesis using specific Y chromosome]Chi hua Fang
Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, Zhujiang Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou, China
Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi 44:1501-4. 2006..To determine the role of hepatic oval cell in primary hepatocarcinogenesis using specific Y chromosome...
- Evolution of the Sry genesP Pamilo
Department of Genetics, University of Uppsala, Sweden
Mol Biol Evol 14:49-55. 1997..We did not find good support for the hypothesis that the high evolutionary rate of Sry would be associated with a promiscuous mating system...
- Isolation and characterization of Xenopus laevis xSox-B1 cDNAY Sakai
Department of Anatomy, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Arch Biochem Biophys 346:1-6. 1997..The message of the xSox-B1 gene was also detected in unfertilized eggs and the late blastula embryos of X. laevis. Recombinant polypeptide of the xSox-B1 HMG domain preferentially binds to the AACAAT sequence...
- Sex identification in mammals with polymerase chain reaction and its use to examine sex effects on diameter of day-10 or -11 pig embryosD Pomp
Department of Animal Science, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater 74078, USA
J Anim Sci 73:1408-15. 1995....
- The murine gene encoding parathyroid hormone: genomic organization, nucleotide sequence and transcriptional regulationB He
Department of Medicine, SMBD Jewish General Hospital, Lady Davis Institute for Medical Research, McGill University, 3755 Cote Ste Catherine Road, Montreal, Quebec H3T 1E2, Canada
J Mol Endocrinol 29:193-203. 2002..Mutational analysis identified a cAMP-response element in the Pth promoter...
- SRY-related genes in the genome of the rice field eel (Monopterus albus)Rongjia Zhou
Department of Genetics and Center for Developmental Biology, College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430072, PR China
Genet Sel Evol 34:129-37. 2002..Similar structure and identity of the Sox9 and Sox17 genes among mammals, chickens and fish suggest that these genes have evolutionarily conserved roles, potentially including sex determination and differentiation...
- The control of sexual differentiation of the reproductive system and brainC A Wilson
Basic Medical Sciences, Clinical Developmental Sciences, St George s, University of London, Cranmer Terrace, Tooting, London SW17 0RE, UK
Reproduction 133:331-59. 2007..In view of current environmental concerns, a brief summary of the effects of endocrine disruptors on sexual differentiation is presented...
- Female long-tailed macaques with scrotum-like structureSuchinda Malaivijitnond
Primate Research Unit, Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Am J Primatol 69:721-35. 2007..To understand whether the scrotum-like swelling is related to geographical distribution, further study is necessary...
- Fetal origin of single nucleated erythroblasts and free DNA in the peripheral blood of pregnant womenH P Chen
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 85:1-5. 2004..To investigate the feasibility of using single fetal nucleated erythroblasts (FNRBCs) and free DNA in maternal blood for non-invasive prenatal diagnosis...
- A naturally occurring deletion in the SRY promoter region affecting the Sp1 binding site is associated with sex reversalJ G Assumpção
Centro de Biologia Molecular e Engenharia Genética CBMEG, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brasil
J Endocrinol Invest 28:651-6. 2005..Additionally, upon familial investigation the father, who had 18 genital surgeries due to severe hypospadia without cryptorchidism, was found to bear the same deletion and several relatives were referred to have sexual ambiguity...
- A point mutation, R59G, within the HMG-SRY box in a female 45,X/46,X, psu dic(Y)(pter-->q11::q11-->pter)Rosa Fernandez
Departamento de Psicobiologia, Universidade da Coruna, Campus Elviña, 15071 A Coruna, Espana
Hum Genet 111:242-6. 2002..To our knowledge, this is the first time that a mutation has been described in codon 59 within the HMG- SRY box, and also the first case of a psu dic(Yp) chromosome that displays two different copies of the SRY gene...
- [Studies on phenotype-genotype association and X-monosomy mosaicism in the human sex differentiation abnormality]Yasushi Handa
Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo 060 8638, Japan
Hokkaido Igaku Zasshi 77:477-90. 2002
- Mesenchymal stem cells adopt beta-cell fate upon diabetic pancreatic microenvironmentCaihong Chang
Department of Immunology Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
Pancreas 38:275-81. 2009..This study observed whether mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) adopt beta-cell fate upon diabetic microenvironment...
- Mutational analysis of SRY in XY femalesJ R Hawkins
Hum Mutat 2:347-50. 1993....
- Fetal DNA quantitation in peripheral blood is not useful as a marker of disease severity in women with preeclampsiaBridgette M Byrne
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University College Dublin, Coombe Womens Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Hypertens Pregnancy 22:157-64. 2003..We hypothesised that 'fetal trafficking' is increased in women with severe preeclampsia and that the quantity of trafficking is greater in women with more severe disease...
- Fetal sex determination of macaque monkeys by a nested PCR using maternal plasmaFusako Mitsunaga
Department of Cellular and Molecular Biology, Primate Research Institute, Kyoto University, Inuyama, Aichi, Japan
Exp Anim 59:255-60. 2010..Interestingly, fetal SRY DNA appeared to be cleared rapidly from the maternal blood after parturition. The current method is sensitive and can be performed with a regular PCR machine...
- Geographic origin of the Y chromosomes in "old" inbred strains of miceP K Tucker
Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609
Mamm Genome 3:254-61. 1992..musculus males. These data indicate that a minimum of six male mice contributed to the formation of the old inbred strains...
- Validation of SRY marker for forensic casework analysisVanja Kastelic
Forensic Science Centre, Ministry of the Interior, Vodovodna 95, Ljubljana, Slovenia
J Forensic Sci 54:551-5. 2009..No polymerase chain reaction product was observed even at a concentration of 10 ng/microL of template female DNA. Additionally, the male specific marker could be detected in mixed male and female samples down to a ratio of 1:16...
- Sex determination and SRY: down to a wink and a nudge?Ryohei Sekido
Division of Developmental Genetics, Medical Research Council, National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Trends Genet 25:19-29. 2009..We also explore the common features between sex determination in mammals and in other vertebrates that lack Sry...
- A molecular method for classifying the genotypes obtained in a breeding colony from testicular feminized (Tfm) ratsR Fernandez
Department of Psychobiology, University of A Coruna, Spain
Horm Metab Res 35:197-200. 2003
- Normal male chromosome complement and a lack of the SRY and SOX9 gene mutations in a male pseudohermaphrodite dogJ Nowacka-Woszuk
Department of Genetics and Animal Breeding, Agricultural University of Poznan, Poland
Anim Reprod Sci 98:371-6. 2007..Blood testosterone concentration was low (0.75 ng/ml), thus the androgen insensitivity syndrome could be excluded. We suggest that this case may represent a persistent Müllerian duct syndrome...
- An XX male with the sex-determining region Y gene inserted in the long arm of chromosome 16Johannnes G Dauwerse
Center for Human Clinical Genetics, Leiden University Medical Center, Albinusdreef 2, 2333 AL Leiden, The Netherlands
Fertil Steril 86:463.e1-5. 2006..To report a case of a 46,XX male with an insertion of the sex-determining region Y (SRY) region in the terminal end of the long arm of chromosome 16...
- [Confirmation of the extra small chromosome in abnormality karyotype by PCR and FISH]Zhi Gang Xue
National Key Laboratory of Medical Genetics, Central South University, Changsha 410078, China
Zhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 30:657-9. 2005..To investigate the source of the extra small chromosome in a patient with karyotype 45,X/46,X + mar/46,XY...
- Isolation and sequence analysis of the Sox-1, -2, -3 homologs in Trionyx sinensis and Alligator sinensis having temperature-dependent sex determinationJifang Zheng
Instiute of Geneties, College of Life Sciences, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310012, P R China
Biochem Genet 44:101-12. 2006....
- Genetic analysis of a family with 46,XY "female" associated with infertilityXu Wang
Human Genome Research Center and College of Life Science and Technology, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430074 China
Yi Chuan Xue Bao 33:19-25. 2006....
- Identification of male cardiomyocytes of extracardiac origin in the hearts of women with male progeny: male fetal cell microchimerism of the heartAntoni Bayes-Genis
Servei de Cardiologia, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Barcelona, Spain
J Heart Lung Transplant 24:2179-83. 2005..Whether extracardiac fetal progenitors are present in the heart of women with male issue is unknown...
- Clinical, molecular and cytogenetic analysis of 46, XX testicular disorder of sex development with SRY-positiveQiu Yue Wu
Institute of Laboratory Medicine, Jinling Hospital, Nanjing University School of Medicine, 305 East Zhongshan Road, Nanjing 210002, PR China
BMC Urol 14:70. 2014..To review the possible mechanisms proposed to explain the etiology of 46, XX sex reversal by investigating the clinical characteristics and their relationships with chromosomal karyotype and the SRY(sex-determining region Y)gene...
- [Abnormal Y chromosome and impairment of sex determination]Toshikatsu Shinka
Department of Human Genetics and Public Health, Graduate School of Proteomics, The University of Tokushima
Nihon Rinsho . 2006
- Primers for the differential amplification of the sex-determining region Y gene in a range of mammal speciesR Griffiths
AFRC Unit of Ecology and Behaviour, Department of Zoology, Oxford, UK
Mol Ecol 2:405-6. 1993
- Detection of Y-chromosome in gonadal tumours using fluorescence in situ hybridization: diagnostic value in intersex conditions including older patients with clinically unsuspected androgen insensitivity syndromeC J R Stewart
Department of Histopathology, King Edward Memorial Hospital, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Histopathology 52:175-82. 2008....
- Developmental and hormonal regulation of the expression of oligodendrocyte-specific protein/claudin 11 in mouse testisA Hellani
INSERM, U 407, Communications Cellulaires en Biologie de la Reproduction, Faculté de médecine Lyon Sud, Oullins, France
Endocrinology 141:3012-9. 2000....
- Tumors of dysgenetic gonads in Swyer syndromeDorota Zieliñska
Departament of Gynecological Surgery and Oncology of Adult and Adolescents, Pomeranian Medical University, 70 111 Szczecin, Poland
J Pediatr Surg 42:1721-4. 2007..The female with Swyer syndrome requires close follow-up because of the high risk of neoplastic transformation in the dysgenetic gonads. The aim of this work was to present our experience with tumors in patients with Swyer syndrome...
- [Early prenatal diagnosis using fetal cells acquired from different sites of uterine cervix: a preliminary study]Li Zhang
Departmet of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Shanghai Medical College of Fudan University, Shanghai 200032, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 86:2343-7. 2006..To compare the presence of fetal cells in the transcervical lavage fluids obtained at different levels of uterine cervix so as to evaluate the better sampling place for early prenatal diagnosis...
- From brain determination to testis determination: evolution of the mammalian sex-determining geneJ A Graves
Research School of Biological Sciences, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT
Reprod Fertil Dev 13:665-72. 2001..The absence of SRY in two species of the mole vole (Ellobius) suggests that its useful life is already running out...
- A comparative genomic hybridization study in a 46,XX maleM Angels Rigola
Unitat de Biologia, Departament de Biologia Cellular, Fisiologia i Immunologia, Facultat de Medicina, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Fertil Steril 78:186-8. 2002..To identify Y chromosome material in an azoospermic male with an XX karyotype...
- PRINS for mapping single-copy genesAvirachan T Tharapel
Department of Pediatrics, University of Tennessee, Memphis, TN, USA
Methods Mol Biol 338:59-67. 2006..With further development, the PRINS method may prove useful for localization of single-copy genes, in general, and for the detection of gene deletions...
- Gonadoblastoma in Turner syndrome and Y-chromosome-derived materialLaura Mazzanti
Department of Pediatrics, Pediatric Clinic, S Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Am J Med Genet A 135:150-4. 2005....
- A model system for study of sex chromosome effects on sexually dimorphic neural and behavioral traitsGeert J De Vries
Center for Neuroendocrine Studies, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts 01003 9333, USA
J Neurosci 22:9005-14. 2002..Moreover, two male groups differing only in the form of their Sry gene showed differences in behavior. The results show that sex chromosome genes contribute directly to the development of a sex difference in the brain...
- Non-invasive prenatal diagnosis of fetal gender using real-time polymerase chain reaction amplification of SRY in maternal plasmaS S Y Ho
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, National University Hospital, Singapore
Ann Acad Med Singapore 33:S61-2. 2004
- FUNCTIONS OF SRY AND SRY INTERACTIVE PROTEIN GENESYun Fai Chris Lau; Fiscal Year: 2004..Chimeric Sry genes will be constructed to harbor various combinations of HMG box and Q-rich domain from different mouse strains ..
- GENETIC DETERMINANTS OF BRAIN SEXUAL DIFFERENTIATIONArthur Arnold; Fiscal Year: 2001..g., Alzheimer's Disease and Multiple Sclerosis). ..
- ALCOHOL BENZODIAZEPHINES AND AGGRESSION IN ANIMALSKLAUS MICZEK; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Sex Differences in Dopamine SystemsArthur Arnold; Fiscal Year: 2006..e.g., Multiple Sclerosis). Understanding sex differences in brain function will help develop sex-specific strategies for treatment of brain diseases. ..
- STEM CELL THERAPY IN ACUTE RENAL FAILUREFangming Lin; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- PSYCHOMOTOR STIMULANTS AND AGGRESSION IN ANIMALSKLAUS MICZEK; Fiscal Year: 2008..Reversal of cross-sensitization from stress may be a means by which to prevent the transition to out-of-control compulsive-like drug taking. ..
- Somatic support cell function in gonad developmentGERRIT BOUMA; Fiscal Year: 2006..The proposed experiments will identify genes expressed in gonadal SSCs that play a role in gonadal XY sex reversal. ..
- NEURAL AND HORMONAL BASES OF VOCALIZATIONArthur Arnold; Fiscal Year: 2008..The proposed experiments will shed light on genetic and hormonal mechanisms of brain sexual differentiation, and may provide new understanding of sex differences in brain development and disease. ..