Genomes and Genes
horizontal gene transfer
Summary: The naturally occurring transmission of genetic information between organisms, related or unrelated, circumventing parent-to-offspring transmission. Horizontal gene transfer may occur via a variety of naturally occurring processes such as GENETIC CONJUGATION; GENETIC TRANSDUCTION; and TRANSFECTION. It may result in a change of the recipient organism's genetic composition (TRANSFORMATION, GENETIC).
Publications299 found, 100 shown here
- Horizontal gene transfer in eukaryotic evolutionPatrick J Keeling
Department of Botany, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia V6T 1Z, Canada
Nat Rev Genet 9:605-18. 2008b>Horizontal gene transfer (HGT; also known as lateral gene transfer) has had an important role in eukaryotic genome evolution, but its importance is often overshadowed by the greater prevalence and our more advanced understanding of gene ..
- CRISPR interference limits horizontal gene transfer in staphylococci by targeting DNALuciano A Marraffini
Department of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Cell Biology, Northwestern University, 2205 Tech Drive, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Science 322:1843-5. 2008b>Horizontal gene transfer (HGT) in bacteria and archaea occurs through phage transduction, transformation, or conjugation, and the latter is particularly important for the spread of antibiotic resistance...
- Phages and the evolution of bacterial pathogens: from genomic rearrangements to lysogenic conversionHarald Brussow
Nestle, Research Center, Vers chez les Blanc, CH 1000 Lausanne, Switzerland
Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 68:560-602, table of contents. 2004..In addition, they can serve as anchoring points for genome inversions. The current review presents the available genomics and biological data on prophages from bacterial pathogens in an evolutionary framework...
- Widespread lateral gene transfer from intracellular bacteria to multicellular eukaryotesJulie C Dunning Hotopp
Institute for Genomic Research, J Craig Venter Institute, 9712 Medical Center Drive, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Science 317:1753-6. 2007..Therefore, heritable lateral gene transfer occurs into eukaryotic hosts from their prokaryote symbionts, potentially providing a mechanism for acquisition of new genes and functions...
- Genomic islands: tools of bacterial horizontal gene transfer and evolutionMario Juhas
Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Nuffield Department of Clinical Laboratory Sciences, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
FEMS Microbiol Rev 33:376-93. 2009Bacterial genomes evolve through mutations, rearrangements or horizontal gene transfer. Besides the core genes encoding essential metabolic functions, bacterial genomes also harbour a number of accessory genes acquired by horizontal gene ..
- Toward automatic reconstruction of a highly resolved tree of lifeFrancesca D Ciccarelli
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Meyerhofstrasse 1, 69012 Heidelberg, Germany
Science 311:1283-7. 2006..Systematic detection and subsequent exclusion of products of horizontal gene transfer increased phylogenetic resolution, allowing us to confirm accepted relationships and resolve disputed and ..
- Evolutionary analysis of Arabidopsis, cyanobacterial, and chloroplast genomes reveals plastid phylogeny and thousands of cyanobacterial genes in the nucleusWilliam Martin
Institut fur Botanik, Heinrich Heine Universitat, Universitatsstrasse 1, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:12246-51. 2002....
- Human intestinal bacteria as reservoirs for antibiotic resistance genesAbigail A Salyers
Department of Microbiology, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Trends Microbiol 12:412-6. 2004....
- Comparative metagenomics reveals host specific metavirulomes and horizontal gene transfer elements in the chicken cecum microbiomeAni Qu
Department of Animal Sciences, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS ONE 3:e2945. 2008..The overall goal of this study was to characterize the chicken cecal microbiome using a pathogen-free chicken and one that had been challenged with Campylobacter jejuni...
- High frequency of horizontal gene transfer in the oceansLauren D McDaniel
University of South Florida College of Marine Science, St Petersburg, FL 33701, USA
Science 330:50. 2010..We demonstrate that the widespread capability of marine bacteria to participate in horizontal gene transfer (HGT) in coastal and oceanic environments may be the result of gene transfer agents (GTAs), viral-like ..
- Genome fragment of Wolbachia endosymbiont transferred to X chromosome of host insectNatsuko Kondo
Department of Systems Science Biology, and Department of Biological Science at the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, University of Tokyo, Meguro, Tokyo 153 8902, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:14280-5. 2002..These results strongly suggest that wBruAus has no microbial entity but is a genome fragment of Wolbachia endosymbiont transferred to the X chromosome of the host insect...
- Genome-wide experimental determination of barriers to horizontal gene transferRotem Sorek
Department of Energy, Joint Genome Institute, 2800 Mitchell Drive, Walnut Creek, CA 94598, USA
Science 318:1449-52. 2007b>Horizontal gene transfer, in which genetic material is transferred from the genome of one organism to that of another, has been investigated in microbial species mainly through computational sequence analyses...
- Pattern pluralism and the Tree of Life hypothesisW Ford Doolittle
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada B3H 1X5
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:2043-9. 2007....
- The give-and-take of DNA: horizontal gene transfer in plantsRalph Bock
Max Planck Institut fur Molekulare Pflanzenphysiologie, Am Muhlenberg 1, D 14476 Potsdam Golm, Germany
Trends Plant Sci 15:11-22. 2010b>Horizontal gene transfer (HGT) is increasingly being recognized as a significant force in the evolution of eukaryotic genomes...
- Phylogenomic analysis demonstrates a pattern of rare and ancient horizontal gene transfer between plants and fungiThomas A Richards
Centre for Eukaryotic Evolutionary Microbiology, School of Biosciences, University of Exeter, Exeter, EX4 4QD, United Kingdom
Plant Cell 21:1897-911. 2009b>Horizontal gene transfer (HGT) describes the transmission of genetic material across species boundaries and is an important evolutionary phenomenon in the ancestry of many microbes...
- Modular networks and cumulative impact of lateral transfer in prokaryote genome evolutionTal Dagan
Institut für Botanik III, Heinrich Heine Universitat Dusseldorf, Universitatsstrasse 1, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:10039-44. 2008....
- The antibiotic resistome: the nexus of chemical and genetic diversityGerard D Wright
Antimicrobial Research Centre, Department of Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences, DeGroote School of Medicine, McMaster University, 1200 Main Street West Hamilton, Ontario, L8N 3Z5, Canada
Nat Rev Microbiol 5:175-86. 2007..Why is resistance inevitable and where does it come from? Understanding the molecular diversity that underlies resistance will inform our use of these drugs and guide efforts to develop new efficacious antibiotics...
- Causes of insertion sequences abundance in prokaryotic genomesMarie Touchon
Génétique des Génomes Bactériens, CNRS URA2171, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Mol Biol Evol 24:969-81. 2007..testable many of these hypotheses, notably that IS abundance correlates positively with the frequency of horizontal gene transfer (HGT), genome size, pathogenicity, nonobligatory ecological associations, and human association...
- A type III-like restriction endonuclease functions as a major barrier to horizontal gene transfer in clinical Staphylococcus aureus strainsAnna R Corvaglia
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Medicine, University Medical Center, University of Geneva, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:11954-8. 2010..Inactivation of this restriction system dramatically increases the transformation efficiency of clinical S. aureus strains, opening the field of molecular genetic manipulation of these strains using DNA of exogenous origin...
- Aphids acquired symbiotic genes via lateral gene transferNaruo Nikoh
Division of Natural Sciences, The Open University of Japan, Chiba, Japan
BMC Biol 7:12. 2009..We further examined their expression levels in the bacteriocyte using real-time quantitative RT-PCR...
- The impact of long-distance horizontal gene transfer on prokaryotic genome sizeOtto X Cordero
Theoretical Biology and Bioinformatics, University of Utrecht, Padualaan 8 3584 CH, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:21748-53. 2009b>Horizontal gene transfer (HGT) is one of the most dominant forces molding prokaryotic gene repertoires...
- Prevalence and evolution of core photosystem II genes in marine cyanobacterial viruses and their hostsMatthew B Sullivan
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
PLoS Biol 4:e234. 2006Cyanophages (cyanobacterial viruses) are important agents of horizontal gene transfer among marine cyanobacteria, the numerically dominant photosynthetic organisms in the oceans...
- Genomics of IncP-1 antibiotic resistance plasmids isolated from wastewater treatment plants provides evidence for a widely accessible drug resistance gene poolAndreas Schluter
Fakultat fur Biologie, Lehrstuhl fur Genetik, Universitat Bielefeld, Bielefeld, Germany
FEMS Microbiol Rev 31:449-77. 2007....
- Massive horizontal gene transfer in bdelloid rotifersEugene A Gladyshev
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Science 320:1210-3. 2008b>Horizontal gene transfer in metazoans has been documented in only a few species and is usually associated with endosymbiosis or parasitism...
- The ring of life provides evidence for a genome fusion origin of eukaryotesMaria C Rivera
Molecular Biology Institute, MCD Biology, University of California, Los Angeles 90095, USA
Nature 431:152-5. 2004Genomes hold within them the record of the evolution of life on Earth. But genome fusions and horizontal gene transfer seem to have obscured sufficiently the gene sequence record such that it is difficult to reconstruct the phylogenetic ..
- Draft genome sequence of the sexually transmitted pathogen Trichomonas vaginalisJane M Carlton
Institute for Genomic Research, 9712 Medical Research Drive, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Science 315:207-12. 2007..The genome sequence predicts previously unknown functions for the hydrogenosome, which support a common evolutionary origin of this unusual organelle with mitochondria...
- Revisiting horizontal transfer of transposable elements in DrosophilaE L S Loreto
UFSM Universidade Federal de Santa Maria, Santa Maria, RS, Brazil
Heredity (Edinb) 100:545-54. 2008..We discuss the methods used to infer HT, their limits and the putative vectors of transposable elements. We outline all the alternative hypotheses and ask how we can be almost certain that phylogenetic inconsistencies are due to HT...
- Horizontal gene transfer in plantsAaron O Richardson
Department of Biology, Indiana University, 1001 East Third Street, Bloomington, IN 47405, USA
J Exp Bot 58:1-9. 2007b>Horizontal gene transfer (HGT) has played a major role in bacterial evolution and is fairly common in certain unicellular eukaryotes...
- The cyanobacterial genome core and the origin of photosynthesisArmen Y Mulkidjanian
School of Physics, University of Osnabruck, D 49069 Osnabruck, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:13126-31. 2006..From procyanobacteria, photosynthesis spread to other phyla by way of lateral gene transfer...
- Horizontal gene transfer and the genomics of enterococcal antibiotic resistanceKelli L Palmer
Departments of Ophthalmology, and Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Curr Opin Microbiol 13:632-9. 2010..faecium as well. Further, incompatibility group 18 plasmids have recently played an important role in mediating transfer of vancomycin resistance from enterococci to methicillin-resistant strains of S. aureus...
- Type IV secretion systems: tools of bacterial horizontal gene transfer and virulenceMario Juhas
Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Nuffield Department of Clinical Laboratory Sciences, University of Oxford, Oxford OX3 9DU, UK
Cell Microbiol 10:2377-86. 2008..T4SSs mediate horizontal gene transfer, thus contributing to genome plasticity and the evolution of pathogens through dissemination of ..
- Horizontal gene transfer in a polyclonal outbreak of carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumanniiJubelle K Valenzuela
Centre for Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, University of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
J Clin Microbiol 45:453-60. 2007..Epidemiological investigation of major outbreaks should include whole-genome typing as well as analysis of potentially transmissible resistance genes and their vehicles...
- Silencing of xenogeneic DNA by H-NS-facilitation of lateral gene transfer in bacteria by a defense system that recognizes foreign DNAWilliam Wiley Navarre
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Genes Dev 21:1456-71. 2007..The possibility that microorganisms maintain and exploit their characteristic genomic GC ratios for the purpose of self/non-self-discrimination is discussed...
- Functional and ecological impacts of horizontal gene transfer in eukaryotesPatrick J Keeling
Canadian Institute for Advanced Research, Botany Department, University of British Columbia, 3529 6270 University Boulevard, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4, Canada
Curr Opin Genet Dev 19:613-9. 2009b>Horizontal gene transfer (HGT) is known to have contributed to the content of eukaryotic genomes, but the direct effects of HGT on eukaryotic evolution are more obscure because many of the best supported cases involve a new gene replacing ..
- Being pathogenic, plastic, and sexual while living with a nearly minimal bacterial genomePascal Sirand-Pugnet
Universite Bordeaux 2, UMR1090, Villenave D Ornon, France
PLoS Genet 3:e75. 2007..Thus far, analysis of mycoplasma genomes indicates a low level of horizontal gene transfer (HGT) implying that DNA acquisition is strongly limited in these minimal bacteria...
- An ancient horizontal gene transfer between mosquito and the endosymbiotic bacterium Wolbachia pipientisMegan Woolfit
School of Integrative Biology, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Mol Biol Evol 26:367-74. 2009The extent and biological relevance of horizontal gene transfer (HGT) in eukaryotic evolution remain highly controversial...
- Phage as agents of lateral gene transferCarlos Canchaya
Nestle Research Centre, CH 1000 Lausanne 26, Vers chez les Blanc, Switzerland
Curr Opin Microbiol 6:417-24. 2003..Occasionally, phages are also involved in the lateral transfer of other mobile DNA elements or bacterial DNA. Recent advances in the field of genomics have revealed a major impact by phages on bacterial chromosome evolution...
- The genome of the protist parasite Entamoeba histolyticaBrendan Loftus
TIGR, 9712 Medical Center Drive, Rockville, Maryland 20850, USA
Nature 433:865-8. 2005..Analysis of the genome provides new insights into the workings and genome evolution of a major human pathogen...
- Horizontal gene transfer between Wolbachia and the mosquito Aedes aegyptiLisa Klasson
Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
BMC Genomics 10:33. 2009The evolutionary importance of horizontal gene transfer (HGT) from Wolbachia endosymbiotic bacteria to their eukaryotic hosts is a topic of considerable interest and debate...
- Horizontal gene transfer in evolution: facts and challengesLuis Boto
Departamento Biodiversidad y Biología Evolutiva, Museo Nacional Ciencias Naturales, CSIC, c Jose Gutierrez Abascal 2, 28006 Madrid, Spain
Proc Biol Sci 277:819-27. 2010The contribution of horizontal gene transfer to evolution has been controversial since it was suggested to be a force driving evolution in the microbial world...
- Horizontal gene transfer and the evolution of microvirid coliphage genomesD R Rokyta
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Idaho, Moscow, ID 83844 3051, USA
J Bacteriol 188:1134-42. 2006Bacteriophage genomic evolution has been largely characterized by rampant, promiscuous horizontal gene transfer involving both homologous and nonhomologous source DNA...
- Genome phylogenies indicate a meaningful alpha-proteobacterial phylogeny and support a grouping of the mitochondria with the RickettsialesDavid A Fitzpatrick
Department of Biology, National University of Ireland, Maynooth, County Kildare, Ireland
Mol Biol Evol 23:74-85. 2006..There is some evidence of horizontal gene transfer within the alpha-proteobacteria, but it appears to be restricted to a minority of genes ( approximately ..
- Widespread horizontal gene transfer from double-stranded RNA viruses to eukaryotic nuclear genomesHuiquan Liu
College of Plant Science and Technology, Huazhong Agricultural University, Hubei Province, People s Republic of China
J Virol 84:11876-87. 2010b>Horizontal gene transfer commonly occurs from cells to viruses but rarely occurs from viruses to their host cells, with the exception of retroviruses and some DNA viruses...
- Factors that affect the horizontal transfer of transposable elementsJoana C Silva
The Institute for Genomic Research, 9712 Medical Center Drive, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Curr Issues Mol Biol 6:57-71. 2004..We contend that these differences play a major role in the observed predominance of horizontal transfer among Class II transposable elements...
- Interpreting the universal phylogenetic treeC R Woese
Department of Microbiology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, B103 Chemical and Life Sciences Laboratory, MC 110, 601 South Goodwin Avenue, Urbana, IL 61801 3709, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:8392-6. 2000..Consequently, horizontal gene transfer early on was pervasive, dominating the evolutionary dynamic...
- Horizontal transfer of a nitrate assimilation gene cluster and ecological transitions in fungi: a phylogenetic studyJason C Slot
Department of Biology, Clark University, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 2:e1097. 2007..reesei in a new niche. Horizontal transmission of this cluster of functionally integrated genes supports the "selfish operon" hypothesis for maintenance of gene clusters...
- A predator unmasked: life cycle of Bdellovibrio bacteriovorus from a genomic perspectiveSnjezana Rendulic
Max Planck Institute for Developmental Biology, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Science 303:689-92. 2004..A plethora of paralogous gene families coding for enzymes, such as hydrolases and transporters, are used throughout the life cycle of B. bacteriovorus for prey entry, prey killing, and the uptake of complex molecules...
- Genome of the extremely radiation-resistant bacterium Deinococcus radiodurans viewed from the perspective of comparative genomicsK S Makarova
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland 20814-4799, USA
Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 65:44-79. 2001..In combination, these observations suggest that several different biological mechanisms contribute to the multiple DNA repair-dependent phenotypes of this organism...
- Phylogenetic analyses of diplomonad genes reveal frequent lateral gene transfers affecting eukaryotesJan O Andersson
The Canadian Institute for Advanced Research, Program in Evolutionary Biology, Department of Biochemistry, Dalhousie University, B3H 4H7, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Curr Biol 13:94-104. 2003..Here, we perform a systematic analysis to investigate the impact of LGT on the evolution of diplomonads, a group of anaerobic protists...
- Swine and poultry pathogens: the complete genome sequences of two strains of Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae and a strain of Mycoplasma synoviaeAna Tereza R Vasconcelos
Centro de Biotecnologia, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Avenida Bento Goncalves 9500, Prédio 43421, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
J Bacteriol 187:5568-77. 2005..b>Horizontal gene transfer was consistently observed between M. synoviae and Mycoplasma gallisepticum...
- Possible horizontal transfer of a transposable element from host to parasitoidM Yoshiyama
Laboratory of Applied Zoology, Institute of Agriculture and Forestry, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Mol Biol Evol 18:1952-8. 2001..honmai were 97.6% identical in DNA sequence. This high similarity suggests a recent horizontal transfer, probably from the moth host to the wasp parasitoid, facilitated by the intimacy of the host-parasitoid relationship...
- On the evolution of cellsCarl R Woese
Department of Microbiology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 601 South Goodwin Avenue, B103 Chemical and Life Sciences Laboratory, Urbana, IL 61801 3709, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:8742-7. 2002..The model is based on the (data supported) conjecture that the dynamic of horizontal gene transfer (HGT) is primarily determined by the organization of the recipient cell...
- Phylogenetic detection of horizontal gene transfer during the step-wise genesis of Mycobacterium tuberculosisFrédéric Veyrier
Department of Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, QC, H3G 1A4, Canada
BMC Evol Biol 9:196. 2009..environmental organisms, we have used genome sequence data from 16 mycobacteria to look for evidence of horizontal gene transfer (HGT) associated with the emergence of pathogenesis...
- Contribution of horizontal gene transfer to the evolution of Saccharomyces cerevisiaeCharles Hall
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, Duke University Medical Center DUMC 289 CARL Building, Box 3568, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Eukaryot Cell 4:1102-15. 2005..genomes, which reveals that a small number of genes appear to have entered these genomes as a result of horizontal gene transfer from bacterial sources. One potential case of horizontal gene transfer in A...
- Prokaryotic evolution in light of gene transferJ Peter Gogarten
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of Connecticut, CT, USA
Mol Biol Evol 19:2226-38. 2002....
- The reacquisition of biotin prototrophy in Saccharomyces cerevisiae involved horizontal gene transfer, gene duplication and gene clusteringCharles Hall
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Genetics 177:2293-307. 2007..cerevisiae and subsequently rebuilt by a combination of horizontal gene transfer and gene duplication followed by neofunctionalization. Unusually, for S...
- Horizontal gene transfer of the algal nuclear gene psbO to the photosynthetic sea slug Elysia chloroticaMary E Rumpho
Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology, and Molecular Biology, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:17867-71. 2008..Under the latter scenario, genes supporting photosynthesis have been acquired by the animal via horizontal gene transfer and the encoded proteins are retargeted to the plastid...
- The evolution of large DNA viruses: combining genomic information of viruses and their hostsLaura A Shackelton
Department of Zoology, Tinbergen Building, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PS, UK
Trends Microbiol 12:458-65. 2004
- Host-to-parasite gene transfer in flowering plants: phylogenetic evidence from MalpighialesCharles C Davis
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Michigan Herbarium, 3600 Varsity Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48108 2287, USA
Science 305:676-8. 2004b>Horizontal gene transfer (HGT) between sexually unrelated species has recently been documented for higher plants, but mechanistic explanations for HGTs have remained speculative...
- Evolution of mollicutes: down a bumpy road with twists and turnsPascal Sirand-Pugnet
INRA Université Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, UMR 1090 Génomique Diversité Pouvoir Pathogène, BP 81, 71 avenue Edouard Bourlaux, 33883 Villenave d Ornon Cedex, France
Res Microbiol 158:754-66. 2007..With the growing body of sequence data, a new picture has recently begun to emerge in which the evolution of these simple bacteria cannot be reduced to a race for the smallest genome...
- Search for a 'Tree of Life' in the thicket of the phylogenetic forestPere Puigbò
National Center for Biotechnology Information, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20894, USA
J Biol 8:59. 2009Comparative genomics has revealed extensive horizontal gene transfer among prokaryotes, a development that is often considered to undermine the 'tree of life' concept...
- Evidence for acquisition of Legionella type IV secretion substrates via interdomain horizontal gene transferKarim Suwwan de Felipe
Integrated Program in Cellular, Molecular and Biophysical Studies, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Bacteriol 187:7716-26. 2005..To find out if some effector proteins may have been acquired through interdomain horizontal gene transfer (HGT), we performed a bioinformatic screen that searched for eukaryotic motifs in all open reading frames ..
- Genomic islands in pathogenic and environmental microorganismsUlrich Dobrindt
Institut für Molekulare Infektionsbiologie, Universitat Wurzburg, Rontgenring 11, 97070 Wuerzburg, Germany
Nat Rev Microbiol 2:414-24. 2004
- Horizontal gene transfer of the secretome drives the evolution of bacterial cooperation and virulenceTeresa Nogueira
Institut Pasteur, CNRS, URA, Paris, France
Curr Biol 19:1683-91. 2009..These proteins are costly, rendering populations of cooperators vulnerable to exploitation by nonproducing cheaters arising by gene loss or migration. In such conditions, how can cooperation persist?..
- Interpolated variable order motifs for identification of horizontally acquired DNA: revisiting the Salmonella pathogenicity islandsGeorgios S Vernikos
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SA, UK
Bioinformatics 22:2196-203. 2006There is a growing literature on the detection of Horizontal Gene Transfer (HGT) events by means of parametric, non-comparative methods...
- Where are the pseudogenes in bacterial genomes?J G Lawrence
Pittsburgh Bacteriophage Institute and Dept of Biological Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Trends Microbiol 9:535-40. 2001....
- Plant genetics: gene transfer from parasitic to host plantsJeffrey P Mower
Department of Biology, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana 47405, USA
Nature 432:165-6. 2004..Here we describe two new cases of horizontal gene transfer, from parasitic flowering plants to their host flowering plants, and present phylogenetic and ..
- Horizontal gene transfer in prokaryotes: quantification and classificationE V Koonin
National Center for Biotechnology Information, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20894, USA
Annu Rev Microbiol 55:709-42. 2001..In some cases, the amount and source of horizontal gene transfer can be linked to an organism's lifestyle...
- The fate of laterally transferred genes: life in the fast lane to adaptation or deathWeilong Hao
Department of Biology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8S 4K1
Genome Res 16:636-43. 2006..Together, this implies that many of the lineage-specific insertions are lost quickly during evolution and that perhaps a few of the genes inserted by lateral transfer are niche specific...
- Poxviruses as possible vectors for horizontal transfer of retroposons from reptiles to mammalsOliver Piskurek
Faculty of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4259 B21 Nagatsuta cho, Midori ku, Yokohama 226 8501, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:12046-51. 2007....
- Sau1: a novel lineage-specific type I restriction-modification system that blocks horizontal gene transfer into Staphylococcus aureus and between S. aureus isolates of different lineagesDenise E Waldron
Centre for Infection, Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, St George s, University of London, Cranmer Terrace, London SW17 0RE, United Kingdom
J Bacteriol 188:5578-85. 2006..aureus isolates from other species, as well as for controlling the spread of resistance genes between isolates of different S. aureus lineages. Blocking Sau1 should also allow genetic manipulation of clinical strains of S. aureus...
- Homing endonuclease genes: the rise and fall and rise again of a selfish elementAustin Burt
Department of Biological Sciences, Imperial College London, Silwood Park, Ascot, Berkshire SL5 7PY, UK
Curr Opin Genet Dev 14:609-15. 2004..HEGs may also be domesticated by their hosts, and are currently being put to human uses...
- Critical issues in bacterial phylogenyRadhey S Gupta
Department of Biochemistry, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8N 3Z5
Theor Popul Biol 61:423-34. 2002..The approach described here thus provides a reliable and internally consistent means for understanding various critical and long outstanding issues in bacterial phylogeny...
- Gene transfer from organelles to the nucleus: frequent and in big chunksWilliam Martin
Institute of Botany III, Universitat Dusseldorf, Universitatstrasse 1, D 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:8612-4. 2003
- Comparative genomics of trypanosomatid parasitic protozoaNajib M El-Sayed
Institute for Genomic Research, 9712 Medical Center Drive, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Science 309:404-9. 2005..Contrary to recent reports, our analyses reveal no evidence that these species are descended from an ancestor that contained a photosynthetic endosymbiont...
- How big is the iceberg of which organellar genes in nuclear genomes are but the tip?W F Doolittle
Genome Atlantic, Dalhousie University, 5850 College Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 1X5, Canada
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 358:39-57; discussion 57-8. 2003..We also consider evidence for, and implications of, LGT between prokaryotes and phagocytic eukaryotes...
- Importance of integrons in the diffusion of resistanceA Carattoli
Laboratory of Bacteriology and Medical Mycology, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Vet Res 32:243-59. 2001....
- Microbial rhodopsins: functional versatility and genetic mobilityAdrian K Sharma
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Dalhousie University, 5850 College St, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 1X5, Canada
Trends Microbiol 14:463-9. 2006....
- Biased biological functions of horizontally transferred genes in prokaryotic genomesYoji Nakamura
Center for Information Biology and DNA Data Bank of Japan, National Institute of Genetics, Research Organization of Information and Systems, 1111 Yata, Mishima, Shizuoka 411 8540, Japan
Nat Genet 36:760-6. 2004b>Horizontal gene transfer is one of the main mechanisms contributing to microbial genome diversification...
- Horizontal gene transfer from Bacteria to rumen Ciliates indicates adaptation to their anaerobic, carbohydrates-rich environmentGuenola Ricard
Center for Molecular and Biomolecular Informatics, Nijmegen Center for Molecular Life Sciences, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Toernooiveld 1, 6525 ED Nijmegen, The Netherlands
BMC Genomics 7:22. 2006....
- Insights on evolution of virulence and resistance from the complete genome analysis of an early methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strain and a biofilm-producing methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus epidermidis strainSteven R Gill
Microbial Genomics, The Institute for Genomic Research, 9712 Medical Center Dr, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
J Bacteriol 187:2426-38. 2005..Overall differences in pathogenicity can be attributed to genome islands in S. aureus which encode enterotoxins, exotoxins, leukocidins, and leukotoxins not found in S. epidermidis...
- Antibiotic-induced SOS response promotes horizontal dissemination of pathogenicity island-encoded virulence factors in staphylococciCarles Ubeda
Departamento de Quimica, Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Universidad Cardenal Herrera CEU, 46113 Moncada, Valencia, Spain
Mol Microbiol 56:836-44. 2005..We conclude that SOS induction by therapeutic agents can promote the spread of staphylococcal virulence genes...
- Genome sequence of Yersinia pestis, the causative agent of plagueJ Parkhill
The Sanger Centre, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SA, UK
Nature 413:523-7. 2001..The evidence of ongoing genome fluidity, expansion and decay suggests Y. pestis is a pathogen that has undergone large-scale genetic flux and provides a unique insight into the ways in which new and highly virulent pathogens evolve...
- Murine endogenous retrovirusesC Stocking
Heinrich Pette Institute, Hamburg, Germany
Cell Mol Life Sci 65:3383-98. 2008..We review mechanisms by which an adaptive coexistence has evolved. (Part of a multi-author review)...
- Genomics of bacteria and archaea: the emerging dynamic view of the prokaryotic worldEugene V Koonin
National Center for Biotechnology Information, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 36:6688-719. 2008..However, comparative genomics also shows that horizontal gene transfer (HGT) is a dominant force of prokaryotic evolution, along with the loss of genetic material resulting in ..
- Horizontal gene transfer by the parasitic plant Striga hermonthicaSatoko Yoshida
RIKEN Plant Science Center, Tsurumi, Yokohama 230 0045, Japan
Science 328:1128. 2010b>Horizontal gene transfer has been postulated to occur between crops to co-occurring parasitic plants, but empirical evidence has been lacking...
- CRISPR elements in the Thermococcales: evidence for associated horizontal gene transfer in Pyrococcus furiosusM C Portillo
Institute for Natural Resources and Agrobiology, IRNAS CSIC, Sevilla, Spain
J Appl Genet 50:421-30. 2009..furiosus genome. These results represent the first evidence suggesting that repeated CRISPR elements can be involved in horizontal gene transfer and genomic differentiation of hyperthermophilic Archaea.
- Horizontal gene transfer in cyanobacterial signature genesShailaja Yerrapragada
Human Genome Sequencing Center Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Methods Mol Biol 532:339-66. 2009..of the core cyanobacterial phenotype, and their absence from other lineages implies that if they arose by horizontal gene transfer (HGT), it likely occurred before the last shared cyanobacterial ancestor...
- Phylogenetic analysis of Pseudomonas syringae pathovars suggests the horizontal gene transfer of argK and the evolutionary stability of hrp gene clusterH Sawada
National Institute of Agro Environmental Sciences, 3 1 1 Kannondai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8604, Japan
J Mol Evol 49:627-44. 1999..OTUs constitute each group in all four genes suggests that these genes had not experienced any intergroup horizontal gene transfer within P. syringae but have been stable on and evolved along with the P. syringae genome...
- Evolutionary origin and emergence of a highly successful clone of serotype M1 group a Streptococcus involved multiple horizontal gene transfer eventsPaul Sumby
Laboratory of Human Bacterial Pathogenesis, Rocky Mountain Laboratories, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Hamilton, Montana, USA
J Infect Dis 192:771-82. 2005..and single-nucleotide polymorphism analyses indicated that this clone evolved through a series of horizontal gene transfer events that involved (1) the acquisition of prophages encoding streptococcal pyrogenic exotoxin A and ..
- A genomic analysis of the archaeal system Ignicoccus hospitalis-Nanoarchaeum equitansMircea Podar
Biosciences Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 1 Bethel Valley Rd, Oak Ridge, TN 37831, USA
Genome Biol 9:R158. 2008..Little is known about the mechanisms that enable this relationship...
- Horizontal gene transfer regulation in bacteria as a "spandrel" of DNA repair mechanismsSaliou Fall
Environmental Microbial Genomics Group, Laboratoire AMPERE UMR CNRS 5005, Ecole Centrale de Lyon et Université de Lyon, Ecully, France
PLoS ONE 2:e1055. 2007b>Horizontal gene transfer (HGT) is recognized as the major force for bacterial genome evolution. Yet, numerous questions remain about the transferred genes, their function, quantity and frequency...
- Evolution of symbiotic bacteria in the distal human intestineJian Xu
Center for Genome Sciences, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, United States of America
PLoS Biol 5:e156. 2007....
- Microbial diversity and the genetic nature of microbial speciesMark Achtman
Environmental Research Institute, University College Cork, Ireland
Nat Rev Microbiol 6:431-40. 2008..It summarizes current approaches to defining species and the problems of these approaches, and presents selected examples of the population genetic patterns at and below the species level...
- The genome of Polaromonas naphthalenivorans strain CJ2, isolated from coal tar-contaminated sediment, reveals physiological and metabolic versatility and evolution through extensive horizontal gene transferJane M Yagi
Department of Microbiology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Environ Microbiol 11:2253-70. 2009..showed at least six anomalous regions in the chromosome, indicating alteration of genome architecture via horizontal gene transfer. Detailed analysis of one of these anomalous regions (96 kb in size, containing the nag-like naphthalene ..
- TFAM detects co-evolution of tRNA identity rules with lateral transfer of histidyl-tRNA synthetaseDavid H Ardell
Department of Molecular Evolution, Evolutionary Biology Center Norbyvägen 18C Uppsala University SE 752 36 Uppsala Sweden
Nucleic Acids Res 34:893-904. 2006..Our results demonstrate that TFAM is an effective tool for the bioinformatics, comparative genomics and evolutionary study of tRNA identity...
- Inferring and validating horizontal gene transfer events using bipartition dissimilarityAlix Boc
Departement d informatique, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, C P 8888, Succ Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Syst Biol 59:195-211. 2010b>Horizontal gene transfer (HGT) is one of the main mechanisms driving the evolution of microorganisms. Its accurate identification is one of the major challenges posed by reticulate evolution...
- Score-based prediction of genomic islands in prokaryotic genomes using hidden Markov modelsStephan Waack
Institut fur Informatik, Universitat Gottingen, Lotzestr, 16 18, 37083 Göttingen, Germany
BMC Bioinformatics 7:142. 2006b>Horizontal gene transfer (HGT) is considered a strong evolutionary force shaping the content of microbial genomes in a substantial manner...
- IslandPath: aiding detection of genomic islands in prokaryotesWilliam Hsiao
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5A 1S6
Bioinformatics 19:418-20. 2003..SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: An online help file, which includes analyses of the utility of IslandPath, can be found at http://www.pathogenomics.sfu.ca/islandpath/current/islandhelp.html..
- Successful lateral transfer requires codon usage compatibility between foreign genes and recipient genomesArturo Medrano-Soto
Program of Computational Genomics, Centro de Investigación sobre Fijación de Nitrógeno UNAM, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico
Mol Biol Evol 21:1884-94. 2004..the selective advantage of imported functions, and therefore to increase the fixation probability of horizontal gene transfer (HGT) events...
- Extent of horizontal gene transfer in evolution of Streptococci of the salivarius groupChristine Delorme
Laboratoire de Genetique Microbienne, Institut National de Recherche Agronomique, 78352 Jouy en Josas Cedex, France
J Bacteriol 189:1330-41. 2007..salivarius and S. vestibularis at three of the nine loci investigated. Horizontal gene transfer between streptococci belonging to the S...
- 3rd ASM Conference on Cell-Cell Communication in BacteriaWILLIAM FUQUA; Fiscal Year: 2007..Target functions include, but are not restricted to virulence factors, adhesins, biofilm formation, horizontal gene transfer and the secretion of exoenzymes...
- Variation in M. tuberculosis in response to host selectionSarah Fortune; Fiscal Year: 2009..In these studies, we expect to provide fundamental insights into the mechanisms and targets of diversifying immune selection in M. tuberculosis. ..
- Insights from Comparative Genomics for the Treatment of Pneumococcal InfectionsNatalia Luisa Hiller; Fiscal Year: 2011..pneumoniae strains, and has shown that horizontal gene transfer (HGT) is the major mechanism of diversity generation during chronic polyclonal S. pneumoniae infections...
- Insights from Comparative Genomics for the Treatment of Pneumococcal InfectionsNatalia Luisa Hiller; Fiscal Year: 2013..pneumoniae strains, and has shown that horizontal gene transfer (HGT) is the major mechanism of diversity generation during chronic polyclonal S. pneumoniae infections...
- Structure and mechanism of CRISPR interference.Ailong Ke; Fiscal Year: 2013..It has been shown to modulate the horizontal gene transfer and biofilm formation...
- Phages and Genomic Variation in Vibrio Cholerae EvolutionJOHN JOSEPH MEKALANOS; Fiscal Year: 2013..cholerae through horizontal gene transfer, predation, and other biological interactions that affect properties such as biofilm formation, ..
- Recombination and Genetics in Chlamydia spp.Daniel D Rockey; Fiscal Year: 2010..work toward the development of a practical genetic system, through an examination of the mechanism of horizontal gene transfer by chlamydiae...
- INTRON DYNAMICS IN BACTERIAMarlene Belfort; Fiscal Year: 2013..LtrB intron resides. Additionally, based on evidence that group II introns are subject to horizontal gene transfer, we will ask whether the intron RNA itself might be the transfer agent...
- Cell-cell signaling, gene expression, and horizontal gene transfer in BacillusAlan D Grossman; Fiscal Year: 2013..signaling molecules, one of the most intimate forms of cell-cell communication involves conjugation and horizontal gene transfer. Mating responses in microbes are often mediated by peptide pheromones...
- Experimental evolution recapitulating adaptation after horizontal gene transferJOSHUA KIERAN MICHENER; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Horizontal gene transfer (HGT) is a ubiquitous process that has shaped microbial genomes and ecology...
- A Feeding Tube Model for Bacterial Cell-Cell CommunicationAMY HITCHCOCK CAMP; Fiscal Year: 2012..will address fundamental questions regarding bacterial inter- connectedness in nature, including during horizontal gene transfer, pathogenesis, and biofilm formation...
- The function of small RNA-based viral defense system in E. coliKONSTANTIN V SEVERINOV; Fiscal Year: 2013..provided by applicant): Interaction of prokaryotes with their viruses (phages) and plasmids accounts for horizontal gene transfer (HGT) that underlies the spread of antibiotic resistance and emergence of human pathogens...
- The role of pseudopilins during transformation in Bacillus subtilisJESSICA MARIE MANN; Fiscal Year: 2010..along with conjugation and transduction, has gained importance since genomic sequencing revealed horizontal gene transfer to be a significant factor in the evolution of bacteria and antibiotic resistance...
- Staphylococcus aureus resistance to topical antimicrobial agents in childrenJONATHON CHASE MCNEIL; Fiscal Year: 2013..of the mechanism of mupirocin resistance among HMR isolates lacking mupA/B and ileS-1 mutations through horizontal gene transfer, genomic analyses and cloning studies...
- Using CRISPR immunity to prevent the spread of virulence traits among pathogensLuciano A Marraffini; Fiscal Year: 2012..resistance is the exchange of genetic material between related or unrelated bacterial species, known as horizontal gene transfer (HGT)...
- ESTABLISHMENT AND DYNAMICS OF ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE RESERVOIRS IN DEVELOPING INTEGautam Dantas; Fiscal Year: 2013..resistance through individual mutations, the most common means of acquiring resistance is through horizontal gene transfer (HGT), enabling pathogens to rapidly develop insensitivity to antibiotic therapy...
- Ecological dynamics of facultative bacterial pathogensJAMES DAVID BEVER; Fiscal Year: 2013..genes are often encoded on mobile elements such as plasmids, allowing their spread among bacteria through horizontal gene transfer. In this proposal, modeling and empirical approaches are combined to investigate the influence of local ..
- Studies on Emergent Diarrheagenic E. coli PathogensOSCAR GOMEZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..We hypothesize that LAEC shares in common well defined virulence genes that were acquired by horizontal gene transfer. This project if significant because it will bring fundamental knowledge on the epidemiology, genetics, ..
- Allelic variants of Salmonella fimbrial adhesinsDieter M Schifferli; Fiscal Year: 2013..Salmonella, thereby increasing their density in the intestines, an environment known to favor horizontal gene transfer (HGT) of antibiotic resistance genes...
- CRISPR defense and acquired antibiotic resistance in Enterococcus faecalisKELLI LEA PALMER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Certain phylogenetic lineages of E. faecalis are associated with antibiotic resistance acquired through horizontal gene transfer and hospital endemicity - these are the high-risk, or hospital-adapted, lineages...
- Structural and functional characterization of the Thermotoga maritima Cmr complexMICHAEL ANTHONY ESTRELLA; Fiscal Year: 2013..It has been demonstrated that the CRISPR/Cas system is able to limit horizontal gene transfer, which is the main route for bacteria to acquire resistance, by targeting the degradation of conjugative ..
- Mechanisms of Sequence-Based Resistance to Viruses and Plasmids in EubacteriaErik J Sontheimer; Fiscal Year: 2010..These and other observations confirm a role for CRISPR loci in restricting horizontal gene transfer in eubacteria, and provide us with a simple and convenient assay for CRISPR function...
- Extending Bayesian Phylogenetic AnalysisJohn P Huelsenbeck; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): For genomic analyses of bacterial genomes, horizontal gene transfer is a complicating factor, causing different genes to have discordant histories...
- Comparative Genomics of the ChlamydiaceaeGarry Myers; Fiscal Year: 2007..We also will assess the potentially important role of horizontal gene transfer in creating novel pathogenicity phenotypes and the likely important relationship between animal and human ..
- Structural Studies of Bacterial Competence ProteinsJohn Cavanagh; Fiscal Year: 2006..b>Horizontal gene transfer produces extremely dynamic genomes, in which substantial amounts of DNA are transferred between the ..
- Twenty Second Fungal Genetics Conference, Asilomar, CAMarc Orbach; Fiscal Year: 2003..regulation (metabolic regulation), Chromosome organization, Photobiology and clocks, Gene clusters and horizontal gene transfer, Mating type regulation and sexual development, Epigenetics, vegetative incompatibility, prions, Teaching ..
- INTRON DYNAMICS IN BACTERIAMarlene Belfort; Fiscal Year: 2010..II introns to spliceosomal introns of eukaryotes, and the possible role of group II introns in effecting horizontal gene transfer. Thus, by combining the approaches of genetics, biochemistry and structural analysis, we propose to ..
- Novel Integrative Genetic Elements of MycoplasmasMichael Calcutt; Fiscal Year: 2003Although horizontal gene transfer by plasmids and bacteriophages has long been known to disseminate key traits among bacterial populations, only recently has the contribution of mobile chromosomal elements been fully realized...
- Accelerated BAC Library Construction And AnalysisDavid Mead; Fiscal Year: 2002..Comparative genomics reveals new information about metabolic pathways, cancer, horizontal gene transfer, evolution, protein families, and the genetic repertoire of numerous species...
- High Fidelity Genomic Cloning And AmplificationRONALD GODISKA; Fiscal Year: 2007..Genomic sequencing also provides critical information about horizontal gene transfer, evolution of protein families, and the genetic repertoire and evolution of species...
- High Fidelity Genomic Cloning And AmplificationRONALD GODISKA; Fiscal Year: 2003..Genomic sequencing also provides critical information about horizontal gene transfer, evolution of protein families, and the genetic repertoire and evolution of species...
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF VIBRIO CHOLERAE BIOFILMSPaula Watnick; Fiscal Year: 2001..cholerae strains will be identified and studied to determine possible methods of horizontal gene transfer. My specific aims are to: (I) Isolate and characterize V...
- Antibiotic Resistance Transfer in Oral AnaerobesRICHARD LAMONT; Fiscal Year: 2006..There is a significant need for basic molecular studies into horizontal gene transfer in oral bacteria...
- Accelerated BAC Library Construction And AnalysisDavid Mead; Fiscal Year: 2006..Comparative genomics reveals new information about metabolic pathways, cancer, horizontal gene transfer, evolution, protein families, and the genetic repertoire of numerous species...
- H PYLORI RECOMBINATION AND GASTRIC COLONIZATIONMartin Blaser; Fiscal Year: 2001..This project will examine horizontal gene transfer among strains in vitro and then in vivo. The work proposed stems from the observations that H...
- EVOLUTION OF IMMUNE RECOGNITION AND EVASIONAustin L Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition, by increasing our understanding of the population diversity and evolutionary history of human immune system genes, this research will enhance our knowledge of human immune function in health and disease. ..
- Gene Duplication and Genome EvolutionAustin Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2004..5) Examining the role of transposable elements in duplication of genomic segments by testing for nonrandom association between these elements and putatively duplicated blocks in the yeast genome. ..
- Horizontal Gene Transfer in Multicellular EukaryotesJeffrey Palmer; Fiscal Year: 2008b>Horizontal gene transfer (HGT) is now recognized as a major evolutionary genetic force driving genomic and phenotypic change in the microbial world -- throughout prokaryotes and in many unicellular eukaryotes (all phagotrophic protists)...
- Methionine Recycling Pathways in KlebsiellaJeffrey Lawrence; Fiscal Year: 2006..In this way, characterization of these pathways sheds light on the evolution of complex metabolism, and on the selective forces that lead to gene acquisition, gene loss, and genome change. ..
- Genome Erosion in Infectious MicroorganismsHoward Ochman; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Elucidating the origins and functions of unknown genesHoward Ochman; Fiscal Year: 2009..By combining experimental and bioinformatic approaches, the present proposal will analyze the origins, functions and structural properties of ORFans, and how they have assumed key roles in cellular function. ..
- Inferring the Roadmap of Bacterial Gene TransferJeffrey Lawrence; Fiscal Year: 2009..This framework will allow us to test the hypothesis that gene transfer occurs more often between more closely related lineages. ..
- Genome Evolution in Pathogens: The roles of predator-prey interactionsJeffrey G Lawrence; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Tetrahymena Genome Sequencing ProjectJonathan Eisen; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Genome-Wide Analysis of Gene Duplication in VertebratesMARIE DURAND; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Fas Ligand Gene Transfer Apoptosis Synovial FibroblastsHaidi Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Organizer Roles in A-P Neural Patterning DevelopmentEric Weinberg; Fiscal Year: 2004..Molecular characterization of this gene would enhance our understanding of the Wnt-B-catenin signaling pathway and further clarify the network of gene interactions that results in proper neural development. ..
- GENETICS OF VIRULENCE OF TYPE III GROUP B STREPTOCOCCUSCraig Rubens; Fiscal Year: 2003..They may also provide clues to the evolution of new GBS serotypes which are now causing human infections. ..
- ENTAMOEBA HISTOLYTICA GENOME PROJECTBrendan Loftus; Fiscal Year: 2002..The vast majority of the research needs and applications will be met by obtaining 99 percent of the genomic sequence. ..
- MATERNAL CONTROL OF ORGANIZER FORMATION IN THE ZEBRAFISHEric Weinberg; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies should increase our understanding of the control of nuclear localization of beta-catenin and also allow an analysis of the initial patterning defects that result from failure to form the early dorsal signaling center. ..
- T LYMPHOCYTE SUBSETS AND HOST DEFENSE AGAINST P CARINIIJUDD SHELLITO; Fiscal Year: 2001..The mice will then be inoculated with P. carinii organisms and assayed for clearance of infection. ..
- BUILDING RESEARCH CAPACITY IN THE SCIENCESVeronica Nwosu; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Sexually Transmitted Infections & Antimicrobial PeptidesWilliam Shafer; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Environmental Bioinorganic Chemistry 2008 Gordon Research ConferenceAnne O Summers; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Role of a novel signal transduction pathway in GBSCraig Rubens; Fiscal Year: 2007..Collectively, these studies will determine the biological significance of this signal transduction pathway and lead to the identification of novel targets of GBS, which may provide insights into their potential as antimicrobial targets. ..
- Impact of Antibiotics and Vaccines on the in vivo Evolution of S. pneumoniaeGarth D Ehrlich; Fiscal Year: 2010..WGS will be used to test if the emergence of these strains from minority to majority status in the nasopharynx and from colonizers to disease causing strains [unreadable] is accompanied by changes in genetic makeup ..
- Genetic Determinants of Host Susceptibility to Pulmonary AnthraxJagjit Yadav; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The Role of Biofilms in the Pathogenesis of OtorrheaGarth Ehrlich; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Ninth International Congress on ToxoplasmosisBoris Striepen; Fiscal Year: 2007..gondii that is not often seen in fields as high paced and[unreadable] competitive and has facilitated rapid and sustained progress in research on this pathogen[unreadable] and related parasites. ..
- Control of Inner Ear Development in the ZebrafishEric Weinberg; Fiscal Year: 2006..The fourth aim of the proposal is a continuation of our mutant screen for defects in otic vesicle formation and patterning. ..
- A PILOT STUDY FOR AN ANNELID GENOME PROJECTJames Lake; Fiscal Year: 2001..3) Because many chronic human diseases are related to defective cilia, and since Drosophila and Caenorhabditis both lack motile cilia, there is a need for a model organism having motile cilia (annelids have motile cilia). ..