- Vitamin D: importance in the prevention of cancers, type 1 diabetes, heart disease, and osteoporosis
Michael F Holick
Vitamin D, Skin, and Bone Research Laboratory, Section of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Nutrition, Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118 2394, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 79:362-71. 2004
..Numerous epidemiologic studies suggest that exposure to sunlight, which enhances the production of vitamin D(3) in the skin, is important in preventing many chronic diseases...
- DCs metabolize sunlight-induced vitamin D3 to 'program' T cell attraction to the epidermal chemokine CCL27
Laboratory of Immunology and Vascular Biology, Department of Pathology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Nat Immunol 8:285-93. 2007
..Our findings support a model in which dendritic cells process and 'interpret' locally produced metabolites to 'program' T cell homing and microenvironmental positioning...
- Vitamin D supplementation, 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations, and safety
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Mount Sinai Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Am J Clin Nutr 69:842-56. 1999
..adults, the 5-microg (200 IU) vitamin D recommended dietary allowance may prevent osteomalacia in the absence of sunlight, but more is needed to help prevent osteoporosis and secondary hyperparathyroidism...
- Benefits and requirements of vitamin D for optimal health: a review
William B Grant
Sunlight Nutrition and Health Research Center SUNARC, 2107 Van Ness Ave, Ste 403B, San Francisco, CA 94109, USA
Altern Med Rev 10:94-111. 2005
..In the absence of adequate solar UVB irradiation due to season, latitude, or lifestyle, vitamin D can be obtained from fortified food, oily fish, vitamin D supplements, and artificial sources of UVB radiation...
- Meta-analysis of risk factors for cutaneous melanoma: II. Sun exposure
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, European Institute of Oncology, IRCCS Via Ripamonti 435, 20141 Milan, Italy
Eur J Cancer 41:45-60. 2005
- Epidemiology of melanoma and nonmelanoma skin cancer--the role of sunlight
Division of Dermatoloncology, Department of Dermatology, University Medical Center, University of Tuebingen, Liebermeisterstr, 25, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
Adv Exp Med Biol 624:89-103. 2008
..the hypothesis that the majority of all melanoma cases are caused, at least in part, by excessive exposure to sunlight. In contrast to squamous cell carcinoma, melanoma risk seems not to be associated with cumulative, but ..
- Vitamin D deficiency: a global perspective
The Medical Research Council Human Nutrition Research, Elsie Widdowson Laboratory, Cambridge, United Kingdom and Medical Research Council Keneba, Keneba, The Gambia
Nutr Rev 66:S153-64. 2008
..There is an urgent need for action to address the global burden of rickets and osteomalacia...
- High prevalence of vitamin D deficiency among pregnant women and their newborns in northern India
Department of Endocrinology, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, India
Am J Clin Nutr 81:1060-4. 2005
..Vitamin D deficiency during pregnancy has important implications for the newborn and infant. There are few data from India about the prevalence of hypovitaminosis D in pregnancy and in the newborn...
- From sunlight to phytomass: on the potential efficiency of converting solar radiation to phyto-energy
Jeffrey S Amthor
Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources C81, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
New Phytol 188:939-59. 2010
..Field-based data indicate that exceptional crops may attain a significant fraction of potential efficiency...
- Cancer survival is dependent on season of diagnosis and sunlight exposure
Hyun Sook Lim
King s College London, Thames Cancer Registry, London, United Kingdom
Int J Cancer 119:1530-6. 2006
b>Sunlight is essential for the production of vitamin D in the body. Evidence exists to suggest that vitamin D metabolites may have a role in tumor growth suppression...
- Sunlight and dietary contributions to the seasonal vitamin D status of cohorts of healthy postmenopausal women living at northerly latitudes: a major cause for concern?
H M Macdonald
University of Aberdeen, Foresterhill, Aberdeen, AB25 2ZD, UK
Osteoporos Int 22:2461-72. 2011
We assessed sunlight and dietary contributions to vitamin D status in British postmenopausal women...
- Sunlight and vitamin D for bone health and prevention of autoimmune diseases, cancers, and cardiovascular disease
Michael F Holick
Department of Medicine, Section of Endocrinology, Nutrition, and Diabetes, Vitamin D, Skin, and Bone Research Laboratory, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 80:1678S-88S. 2004
..Although chronic excessive exposure to sunlight increases the risk of nonmelanoma skin cancer, the avoidance of all direct sun exposure increases the risk of ..
- Low vitamin D status despite abundant sun exposure
University of Wisconsin Osteoporosis Research Program, Madison, WI 53705, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:2130-5. 2007
..However, some individuals with seemingly adequate UV exposure have been reported to have low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] concentration, results that might have been confounded by imprecision of the assays used...
- Skin cancer and solar UV radiation
F R de Gruijl
Department of Dermatology, University Medical Centre Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur J Cancer 35:2003-9. 1999
Ultraviolet (UV) radiation in sunlight is the most prominent and ubiquitous physical carcinogen in our natural environment. It is highly genotoxic but does not penetrate the body any deeper than the skin...
- Measures of sun exposure and sun protection practices for behavioral and epidemiologic research
Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, 1518 Clifton Rd NE, Room 530, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Arch Dermatol 144:217-22. 2008
..To develop, in a collaborative project, core measures of sun exposure and sun protection habits, since the lack of standard outcome measures hampers comparison of population surveys and interventions used in skin cancer prevention research...
- Risk factors for skin cancers: a nested case-control study within the Nurses' Health Study
Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, and Harvard Medical School, 181 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Int J Epidemiol 35:1514-21. 2006
..Constitutional factors and sun exposure are associated with skin cancer risk. However, these relations are complex and differ according to skin cancer type...
- Global vitamin D levels in relation to age, gender, skin pigmentation and latitude: an ecologic meta-regression analysis
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism C, Aarhus Amtssygehus, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Osteoporos Int 20:133-40. 2009
..Serum 25(OH)D levels on average were 54 nmol/l, were higher in women than men, and higher in Caucasians than in non-Caucasians. There was no trend in serum 25(OH)D level with latitude. Vitamin D deficiency was widespread...
- 25-Hydroxyvitamin D levels in serum at the onset of multiple sclerosis
MediCity Research Laboratory, University of Turku, Tykistokatu 6, FIN 20520 Turku, Finland
Mult Scler 11:266-71. 2005
..The optimal serum levels of vitamin D for the regulation of immune responses remain to be determined...
- Past exposure to sun, skin phenotype, and risk of multiple sclerosis: case-control study
I A F van der Mei
Menzies Centre for Population Health Research, University of Tasmania, Hobart, TAS 7000, Australia
BMJ 327:316. 2003
..To examine whether past high sun exposure is associated with a reduced risk of multiple sclerosis...
- Prevalence and associated factors with sunscreen use in Southern Brazil: A population-based study
Rodrigo Pereira Duquia
Programa de Pós Graduação em Epidemiologia, Universidade Federal de Pelotas, Brazil
J Am Acad Dermatol 57:73-80. 2007
..Sunscreen use is important for the prevention of skin cancer, but population-based information about its prevalence and associated factors are scarce in Brazil...
- Ultraviolet sunlight exposure during adolescence and adulthood and breast cancer risk: a population-based case-control study among Ontario women
Laura N Anderson
Prevention and Cancer Control, Cancer Care Ontario, Toronto, Canada
Am J Epidemiol 174:293-304. 2011
..The associations among ultraviolet radiation from sunlight, factors related to cutaneous vitamin D production, and breast cancer risk were evaluated in a population-based ..
- Anatomic site, sun exposure, and risk of cutaneous melanoma
David C Whiteman
Division of Population Studies and Human Genetics, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, PO Royal Brisbane Hospital, Queensland 4029 Australia e mail
J Clin Oncol 24:3172-7. 2006
b>Sunlight is the principal environmental risk factor for cutaneous melanoma. A current hypothesis postulates that the role of sunlight in causing melanoma differs according to anatomic site...
- Vitamin D intake needed to maintain target serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations in participants with low sun exposure and dark skin pigmentation is substantially higher than current recommendations
Laura M Hall
Nutrition Department, University of California, Davis, CA, 95616, USA
J Nutr 140:542-50. 2010
..To achieve 25(OH)D > or =75 nmol/L, we estimate that EA individuals with high sun exposure need 1300 iu/d vitamin D intake in the winter and AA individuals with low sun exposure need 2100-3100 iu/d year-round...
- Behavioral counseling to prevent skin cancer: a systematic review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force
Jennifer S Lin
Center for Health Research, Kaiser Permanente Northwest, 3800 North Interstate Avenue, Portland, OR 97227, USA
Ann Intern Med 154:190-201. 2011
..More than 2 million cases of skin cancer are diagnosed annually in the United States, and melanoma incidence is increasing...
- Sunlight is associated with decreased multiple sclerosis risk: no interaction with human leukocyte antigen-DRB1*15
Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Neurol 19:955-62. 2012
Both insufficient exposure to sunlight and vitamin D deficiency have been associated with an increased risk for multiple sclerosis (MS)...
- Can breakfast tryptophan and vitamin B6 intake and morning exposure to sunlight promote morning-typology in young children aged 2 to 6 years?
Department of Nutritional Management, Faculty of Health and Nutrition, Tokai Gakuen University, Nagoya, Japan
J Physiol Anthropol 31:11. 2012
..of view, the integrated effects of the amount of tryptophan and vitamin B6 intake and the following exposure to sunlight on the circadian typology and sleep habits in young Japanese children aged 2 to 6 years, using the newly-..
- Photoenhanced toxicity of aqueous phase and chemically dispersed weathered Alaska North Slope crude oil to Pacific herring eggs and larvae
Mace G Barron
P E A K Research, 1134 Avon Lane, Longmont, Colorado 80501, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 22:650-60. 2003
..Brief exposure to sunlight (approximately 2.5 h/d for 2 d) significantly increased toxicity 1.5- to 48-fold over control lighting...
- The association between MC1R genotype and BRAF mutation status in cutaneous melanoma: findings from an Australian population
Genetics and Population Health Division, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
J Invest Dermatol 130:241-8. 2010
..BRAF-mutant melanomas have different origins from other cutaneous melanomas. These data support the divergent pathways hypothesis for melanoma, which may require a reappraisal of targeted cancer prevention activities...
- Biodiversity meets the atmosphere: a global view of forest canopies
C M P Ozanne
Centre for Research in Ecology and Environment, School of Life and Sport Sciences, University of Surrey Roehampton, West Hill, London SW15 3SN, UK
Science 301:183-6. 2003
- Prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency in Brazilian adolescents
Barbara Santarosa Emo Peters
Nutrition Department, School of Public Health, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Ann Nutr Metab 54:15-21. 2009
..Cutaneous sun exposure and dietary vitamin D intake are important determinants of vitamin D status. The objective of the present study was to evaluate the vitamin D status of a group of healthy adolescent students living in Brazil...
- 25-Hydroxyvitamin D in Canadian adults: biological, environmental, and behavioral correlates
L S Greene-Finestone
Public Health Agency of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Osteoporos Int 22:1389-99. 2011
..Results showed that serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels <75 nmol/L were common. Given Canada's high latitude, attention should be given to strategies for enhancing vitamin D status in the population...
- Interaction between p53 codon 72 polymorphism and melanocortin 1 receptor variants on suntan response and cutaneous melanoma risk
Department of Epidemiology, Program in Molecular and Genetic Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Br J Dermatol 159:314-21. 2008
..The common p53 codon 72 polymorphism alters the protein's transcriptional activity, which may influence the UV radiation-induced tanning response...
- Sunlight exposure, vitamin D, and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma in the Nurses' Health Study
Kimberly A Bertrand
Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cancer Causes Control 22:1731-41. 2011
..Evidence from prospective cohort studies, however, is limited and inconsistent. We evaluated the association between ambient ultraviolet radiation (UV) exposure and NHL in a nationwide cohort of women, the Nurses' Health Study (NHS)...
- Ultraviolet A within sunlight induces mutations in the epidermal basal layer of engineered human skin
Xiao Xuan Huang
Discipline of Dermatology, Bosch Institute, Sydney Cancer Centre, The University of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Am J Pathol 174:1534-43. 2009
The ultraviolet B (UVB) waveband within sunlight is an important carcinogen; however, UVA is also likely to be involved...
- Vitamin D and sun protection: the impact of mixed public health messages in Australia
Philippa H Youl
Viertel Centre for Research in Cancer Control, Cancer Council Queensland, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Int J Cancer 124:1963-70. 2009
Exposure of the skin to sunlight can cause skin cancer and is also necessary for cutaneous Vitamin D production. Media reports have highlighted the purported health benefits of Vitamin D...
- Vitamin D: A millenium perspective
Michael F Holick
Vitamin D Laboratory, Section of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Cell Biochem 88:296-307. 2003
..Phytoplankton, zooplankton, and most plants and animals that are exposed to sunlight have the capacity to make vitamin D...
- Melanoma etiology: where are we?
Margaret A Tucker
Genetic Epidemiology Branch, DCEG, NCI, Executive Plaza South 7122, 6120 Executive Blvd, Rockville, MD 20892 7236, USA
Oncogene 22:3042-52. 2003
..Recent surveys of sun behavior in the US reveal extensive sunburning and use of tanning beds in adolescents and adults. Sun protective behaviors are not as prevalent as in Australia, where population rates of melanoma are stabilizing...
- Vitamin D status in relation to obesity, bone mineral density, bone turnover markers and vitamin D receptor genotypes in healthy Saudi pre- and postmenopausal women
M S M Ardawi
Center of Excellence for Osteoporosis Research, King Abdulaziz University, P O Box No 20724, Jeddah, 21465, Saudi Arabia
Osteoporos Int 22:463-75. 2011
..Vitamin D deficiency was highly prevalent among studied Saudi women with obesity, poor sunlight exposure, poor dietary vitamin D supplementation and age as the main risk factors.
- Who, what, where and when-influences on cutaneous vitamin D synthesis
Ann R Webb
University of Manchester, UK
Prog Biophys Mol Biol 92:17-25. 2006
..At smaller SZAs assessment of solar exposure necessary for vitamin D synthesis can only be indicative and application of any such assessment necessarily requires awareness of both self- and the local environment...
- Relationship between sun exposure and melanoma risk for tumours in different body sites in a large case-control study in a temperate climate
Julia A Newton-Bishop
Section of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Leeds Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Eur J Cancer 47:732-41. 2011
..A melanoma case-control study was conducted to elucidate the complex relationship between sun exposure and risk...
- Does solar exposure, as indicated by the non-melanoma skin cancers, protect from solid cancers: vitamin D as a possible explanation
Medical School, Department of Clinical Chemistry, University of Tampere, Tampere University Hospital, Tampere 33014, Finland
Eur J Cancer 43:1701-12. 2007
Skin cancers are known to be associated with sun exposure, whereas sunlight through the production of vitamin D may protect against some cancers...
- Sun exposure and melanoma risk at different latitudes: a pooled analysis of 5700 cases and 7216 controls
Yu Mei Chang
Section of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Leeds Institute of Molecular Medicine, Leeds, UK
Int J Epidemiol 38:814-30. 2009
..Melanoma risk is related to sun exposure; we have investigated risk variation by tumour site and latitude...
- Prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in Isfahani high school students in 2004
Isfahan Endocrine and Metabolism Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Horm Res 64:144-8. 2005
..The prevalence of vitamin D deficiency was investigated in Isfahani male and female high school students in Iran in 2004...
- How sunlight causes melanoma
Department of Dermatology, Massachusetts General Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Curr Oncol Rep 12:319-26. 2010
..It is generally accepted that ultraviolet light radiation (UVR) from sunlight is a major risk factor for melanoma skin cancer development...
- Sunlight exposure, antioxidants, and age-related macular degeneration
Astrid E Fletcher
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London, England
Arch Ophthalmol 126:1396-403. 2008
To examine the association of sunlight exposure and antioxidant level with age-related macular degeneration (AMD).
- Effects of above average summer sun exposure on serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and calcium absorption
M Janet Barger-Lux
Osteoporosis Research Center, Creighton University, 601 North 30th Street, Omaha, Nebraska 68131, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:4952-6. 2002
..Despite this input, at the late winter visit, 25(OH)D was less than 50 nmol/liter in 3 subjects and less than 75 nmol/liter in 15 subjects...
- Prevention of rickets and vitamin D deficiency in infants, children, and adolescents
Carol L Wagner
American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Pediatrics 122:1142-52. 2008
Rickets in infants attributable to inadequate vitamin D intake and decreased exposure to sunlight continues to be reported in the United States. There are also concerns for vitamin D deficiency in older children and adolescents...
- Post-veraison sunlight exposure induces MYB-mediated transcriptional regulation of anthocyanin and flavonol synthesis in berry skins of Vitis vinifera
José Tomás Matus
Departamento de Fruticultura y Enología, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Av Vicuña Mackenna 4560, Santiago, Chile
J Exp Bot 60:853-67. 2009
..The impact of post-veraison sunlight exposure on anthocyanin and flavonol accumulation in grape berry skin and its relation to the expression of ..
- The melanocortin-1-receptor gene is the major freckle gene
Department of Dermatology and Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Leiden University Medical Centre, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Hum Mol Genet 10:1701-8. 2001
..The results of the study also suggest that MC1R gene variants play a role, although less important, in the development of solar lentigines...
- Molecular mechanisms of skin aging: state of the art
Laboratory for Biogerontology, Dermato Pharmacology and Dermato Endocrinology, Institute Clinical Pharmacology and Toxiology, Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1119:40-50. 2007
..Understanding the molecular mechanisms of aging may open new strategies in dealing with the various diseases accompanying aging, including cancer...
- Personal sun exposure and risk of non Hodgkin lymphoma: a pooled analysis from the Interlymph Consortium
School of Public Health, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Int J Cancer 122:144-54. 2008
..Increased recreational sun exposure may protect against NHL...
- Artificial and natural ultraviolet radiation exposure: beliefs and behaviour of 7200 French adults
Unité 557, Unité mixte de recherche INSERM INRA CNAM, Paris, France
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 22:186-94. 2008
..Despite the increasing use of indoor tanning facilities, little is known regarding the behaviour of adults with respect to artificial and natural ultraviolet (UV) radiation exposure and the relationship between the two forms of exposure...
- Determinants of BRAF mutations in primary melanomas
Janet L Maldonado
Department of Dermatology, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 95:1878-90. 2003
..The high mutation frequency in melanomas arising on intermittently sun-exposed skin suggests a complex causative role of such exposure that mandates further evaluation...
- Vitamin D: a D-Lightful health perspective
Michael F Holick
The Department of Medicine, Section of Endocrinology, Nutrition, and Diabetes, Vitamin D, Skin and Bone Research Laboratory, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Nutr Rev 66:S182-94. 2008
b>Sunlight provides most humans with their vitamin D requirement. Adequate vitamin D(3) by synthesis in the skin or from dietary and supplemental sources is essential for bone health throughout life...
- A serial analysis of gene expression in sun-damaged human skin
The Pacific Biomedical Research Center, University of Hawaii, 1993 East West Road, Honolulu, HI 96822, U S A
J Invest Dermatol 119:3-13. 2002
..These results suggest a major role for the epidermis in the pathomechanism of largely dermal changes in chronically sun-exposed skin...
- Prevalence and risks factors of age-related macular degeneration in Oklahoma Indians: the Vision Keepers Study
Amir L Butt
Center for American Indian Health Research, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Ophthalmology 118:1380-5. 2011
..To determine the prevalence of age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and to identify its risk factors in an Oklahoma Indian population...
- Contributions of sunlight and diet to vitamin D status
Helen M Macdonald
Musculoskeletal Research, Health Sciences Building, University of Aberdeen, Foresterhill, Aberdeen, AB25 2ZD, UK
Calcif Tissue Int 92:163-76. 2013
..Regulatory mechanisms in the skin mean there is no danger of vitamin D toxicity through sunlight synthesis. Although oral vitamin D is potentially toxic with high-dose supplements, there is a wide safety margin...
- On the interplay of telomeres, nevi and the risk of melanoma
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e52466. 2012
..Larger studies across different populations are necessary to clarify these associations...
- Sunlight exposure and (sero)prevalence of epidermodysplasia verruciformis-associated human papillomavirus
Leiden University Medical Center, The Netherlands
J Invest Dermatol 122:1456-62. 2004
..The favorable association between lifetime sun exposure and HPV prevalence, however, underscores the enigmatic role of HPV in skin carcinogenesis...
- The D-lightful vitamin D for child health
Michael F Holick
Department of Medicine, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 36:9S-19S. 2012
..The Endocrine Society's Clinical Guidelines recommended that to prevent and treat vitamin D deficiency, children 0-1 year and 1-18 years need 400-1000 and 600-1000 IU/d, respectively...
- Melanocytic nevi and sun exposure in a cohort of colorado children: anatomic distribution and site-specific sunburn
Athena T Dodd
Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, 4200 East Ninth Avenue, Campus Box B119, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16:2136-43. 2007
..03 for three or more sunburns), but not on the face, arms, or legs. In this high-risk population, there is evidence for two pathways to nevus accumulation: by chronic sun exposure and by intermittent exposure related to sunburns...
- Effects of sunlight and diet on vitamin D status of pulmonary tuberculosis patients in Tbilisi, Georgia
Nirali S Desai
Department of Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Nutrition 28:362-6. 2012
..Vitamin D deficiency is common in tuberculosis (TB) and this may modulate immune responses. This study investigated vitamin D status in patients with TB and examined the sources of vitamin D in Tbilisi, Georgia...
- Superparamagnetic plasmonic nanohybrids: shape-controlled synthesis, TEM-induced structure evolution, and efficient sunlight-driven inactivation of bacteria
State Key Laboratory of Electroanalytical Chemistry, Changchun Institute of Applied Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Graduate School of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Changchun 130022, Jilin, People s Republic of China
ACS Nano 5:8562-70. 2011
..Importantly, the double-layer nanotubes exhibited enhanced photocatalytic inactivation of bacteria at very low concentrations under natural sunlight.
- Association of 25-hydroxyvitamin D3)levels in adult New Zealanders with ethnicity, skin color and self-reported skin sensitivity to sun exposure
Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Linkoping, Linkoping, Sweden
Photochem Photobiol 87:1173-8. 2011
..These results indicate that self-defined ethnicity was a major determinant of variations in serum 25(OH)D(3), while objective measures of skin color explained relatively little additional variation...
- Seasonal patterns in the sunlight sensitivity of bacterioplankton from Mediterranean surface coastal waters
Institut de Ciències del Mar CSIC, Barcelona, Spain
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 79:661-74. 2012
- UV radiation exposure related to age, sex, occupation, and sun behavior based on time-stamped personal dosimeter readings
Department of Dermatology, Bispebjerg Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Arch Dermatol 140:197-203. 2004
..To assess individual time-related (time-stamped) UV radiation (UVR) dose pattern and sun exposure behavior...
- Effect of natural sunlight on bacterial activity and differential sensitivity of natural bacterioplankton groups in northwestern Mediterranean coastal waters
Departament de Biologia Marina i Oceanografia, Institut de Ciencies del Mar, 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:5806-13. 2006
We studied the effects of natural sunlight on heterotrophic marine bacterioplankton in short-term experiments...
- New hypotheses on sunlight and the geographic variability of multiple sclerosis prevalence
Bijal K Mehta
Department of Neurology, Jacobs Neurological Institute, State University of New York Buffalo, 100 High Street, Buffalo, NY 14203, USA
J Neurol Sci 292:5-10. 2010
..This paper will discuss how sunlight stimulus may effect neuronal and microglial antigenic presentation based on sunlight-dependent neuronal activity, ..
- Semiconductor nanoparticle-based hydrogels prepared via self-initiated polymerization under sunlight, even visible light
Department of Chemistry, Tongji University, Siping Road 1239, Shanghai 200092, P R China
Sci Rep 3:1399. 2013
..The advantages of photo polymerization include the mild and easy process. However, the direct use of available sunlight for the preparation of materials is still a challenge due to its rather dilute intensity...
- Validity and reliability of adult recall of past sun exposure in a case-control study of multiple sclerosis
I A F van der Mei
Menzies Research Institute, University of Tasmania, Private Bag 23, Hobart, Tasmania 7001, Australia
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15:1538-44. 2006
..Measurement of past sun exposure through recall by adults has the potential for measurement error. We aimed to investigate aspects of validity and reliability of self-reported past sun exposure...
- A practical demonstration of water disinfection using TiO2 films and sunlight
Instituto Mexicano de Tecnologia del Agua, iMTA, Paseo Cuauhnahuac 8532, Progreso, Jiutepec, Morelos 62550, Mexico
Water Res 40:3274-80. 2006
..Spring water naturally polluted with coliform bacteria was exposed to sunlight in plastic bottles with and without TiO2 over simple solar collectors and the disinfection effectiveness was ..
- Evaluation of window-tinting films for sunlight phototherapy
Hendrik J Vreman
Division of Neonatal and Developmental Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5208, USA
J Trop Pediatr 59:496-501. 2013
..The data suggest that most of the relatively low-cost window-tinting films tested can effectively reduce sunlight UV and IR and offer a range of significant attenuations of therapeutic blue light.
- Latitude and incidence of ocular melanoma
Guo Pei Yu
Biostatistics and Epidemiology Service, The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, USA
Photochem Photobiol 82:1621-6. 2006
..latitude and the incidence of two different types of ocular melanoma, external ocular melanoma (exposed to sunlight) and internal melanoma (not exposed to sunlight), separately...
- Sunlight triggered photodynamic ultradeformable liposomes against Leishmania braziliensis are also leishmanicidal in the dark
Programa de Nanomedicinas, Departamento de Ciencia y Tecnologia, Universidad Nacional de Quilmes, Roque Saenz Pena 352, Bernal, B1876 BXD, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Control Release 147:368-76. 2010
Being independent of artificial power sources, self administered sunlight triggered photodynamic therapy could be a suitable alternative treatment for cutaneous leishmaniasis, that avoids the need for injectables and the toxic side ..
- Sunlight UV-induced skin cancer relies upon activation of the p38α signaling pathway
The Hormel Institute, University of Minnesota, Austin, MN 55912, USA
Cancer Res 73:2181-8. 2013
..e., sunlight) are not understood well enough to permit improvements for prevention, prognosis, and treatment...
- Sunlight effects on the Osmotrophic uptake of DMSP-sulfur and leucine by polar phytoplankton
Department of Marine Biology, Institut de Ciències del Mar CSIC, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 7:e45545. 2012
..assimilation of both substrates occurred in the size fraction containing most phytoplankton (>5 µm), sunlight exposure generally increasing (35)S-DMSP-sulfur assimilation and decreasing (3)H-leucine assimilation...
- Short- and long-term sunlight radiation and stroke incidence
Shia T Kent
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
Ann Neurol 73:32-7. 2013
Examine whether long- and short-term sunlight radiation is related to stroke incidence.
- Risk factors for vitamin D deficiency in women aged 20-50 years consulting in general practice: a cross-sectional study
Marie France le Goaziou
Department of General Practice, University Claude Bernard, Lyon 1, France
Eur J Gen Pract 17:146-52. 2011
..Our objective was to estimate the influence of concealing clothes and other risk factors for vitamin D deficiency in women aged 20 to 50 years consulting general practitioners...
- Estimated ultraviolet exposure levels for a sufficient vitamin D status in North America
V E Fioletov
Environment Canada, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Photochem Photobiol B 100:57-66. 2010
..The time required to obtain standard vitamin D dose is also calculated for six types of skin...
- Reactivation of tuberculosis and vitamin D deficiency: the contribution of diet and exposure to sunlight
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Guy s and St Thomas Foundation Trust, London, UK
Thorax 62:1003-7. 2007
..undertaken to examine serum vitamin D concentrations before treatment in patients with active TB and their contacts from the same ethnic and social background and to investigate the relative contributions of diet and sunlight exposure.
- Sunlight modulates the relative importance of heterotrophic bacteria and picophytoplankton in DMSP-sulphur uptake
Institut de Ciències del Mar CSIC, Barcelona, Catalunya, Spain
ISME J 6:650-9. 2012
..and little is known about their contribution to DMSP consumption and the potential modulating effects of sunlight. In an attempt to ascertain the relative quantitative roles of heterotrophic bacteria and picophytoplankton in ..
- Knowledge, motivation, and behavior patterns of the general public towards sun protection
Jacqueline M Goulart
Dermatology Service, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 136 Mountain View Blvd, Basking Ridge, NJ 07920, USA
Photochem Photobiol Sci 9:432-8. 2010
..Future photoprotection messages should shift from purely promoting knowledge to inspiring improvements in behavior with targeted strategies...
- Sunlight-induced DNA damage in marine micro-organisms collected along a latitudinal gradient from 70 degrees N to 68 degrees S
Jarah A Meador
Science Park Research Division, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Smithville, TX, USA
Photochem Photobiol 85:412-20. 2009
- Sunlight and the onset of skin cancer
D E Brash
Department of Therapeutic Radiology, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8040, USA
Trends Genet 13:410-4. 1997
The photons of sunlight precipitate a series of genetic events in skin leading to cancer. These events involve somatic mutations as well as inherited alleles...
- Sunlight, vitamin D and the prevention of cancer: a systematic review of epidemiological studies
Han van der Rhee
Department of Dermatology, HagaZiekenhuis, Den Haag, Zuid Holland, The Netherlands
Eur J Cancer Prev 18:458-75. 2009
The number of studies reporting beneficial effects of sunlight and vitamin D on several types of cancer with a high mortality rate is growing rapidly...
- MC1R gene polymorphism affects skin color and phenotypic features related to sun sensitivity in a population of French adult women
CE R I E S Research Centre on Human Skin founded by CHANEL, Neuilly sur Seine, France
Photochem Photobiol 85:1451-8. 2009
..Our findings support the hypothesis that MC1R polymorphisms do not necessarily alter the skin color but should sensitize the skin to UV-induced DNA damage...
- The use of a 3895 bp mitochondrial DNA deletion as a marker for sunlight exposure in human skin
Kim J Krishnan
Dermatological Sciences, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
J Invest Dermatol 123:1020-4. 2004
..Additionally, we have linked the 3895 bp deletion with the UVR component of sunlight by inducing the deletion in vitro with repetitive sub-lethal doses of a UVA+UVB light source.
- Seasonal variation of serum vitamin D and the effect of vitamin D supplementation in Irish community-dwelling older people
Trinity College Dublin TRIL Clinic, Hospital, St James s Hospital, Dublin 8, Co Dublin, Ireland
Age Ageing 40:168-74. 2011
..However, in Irish older people, little is known about the magnitude of the supplementation effect and whether supplementation affects 25(OH)D seasonality...
- Vitamin D status of women in the Geelong Osteoporosis Study: association with diet and casual exposure to sunlight
J A Pasco
The University of Melbourne, Department of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences--Barwon Health, The Geelong Hospital, Vic
Med J Aust 175:401-5. 2001
..Australia has no recommended dietary intake (RDI) for vitamin D, in the belief that adequate vitamin D can be obtained from solar irradiation alone. Our results suggest that an RDI may be needed...
- Solar and photocatalytic disinfection of protozoan, fungal and bacterial microbes in drinking water
Department of Infection, Immunity and Inflammation, Maurice Shock Building, School of Medicine, University of Leicester, Leicester LE1 9HN, UK
Water Res 39:877-83. 2005
..A reduction of only 1.7 log units was recorded for spores of Bacillus subtilis. Both SODIS and SPC-DIS were ineffective against the cyst stage of A. polyphaga...
- Genomic-driven insights into changes in aging skin
Michael K Robinson
Global Biotechnology, The Procter and Gamble Company, Miami Valley Innovation Center, Cincinnati, OH 45253, USA
J Drugs Dermatol 8:s8-11. 2009
..However, skin is also exposed to external insults, such as sunlight. Aging due to chronic sun exposure (photoaging) is characterized clinically by wrinkling, dyspigmentation and ..
- Visual performance with sport-tinted contact lenses in natural sunlight
Graham B Erickson
Pacific University College of Optometry, OR 97116, USA
Optom Vis Sci 86:509-16. 2009
..This study broadens previous research regarding performance-tinted CLs and their effects on measures of visual performance...
- Sufficient vitamin D from casual sun exposure?
Frank R de Gruijl
Department of Dermatology, Leiden University Medical Center LUCM, Leiden, The Netherlands
Photochem Photobiol 87:598-601. 2011
..This result is an improvement over earlier estimates and shows that casual mid-day summer sun exposure should indeed suffice...
- Natural sunlight and residual fuel oils are an acutely lethal combination for fish embryos
Environmental Conservation Division, Northwest Fisheries Science Center, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 2725 Montlake Blvd E, Seattle, WA 98112, USA
Aquat Toxicol 99:56-64. 2010
..potential toxicological differences between unrefined crude and residual fuel oils, and test the effects of sunlight as an additional stressor...
- Human papillomavirus type spectrum in normal skin of individuals with or without a history of frequent sun exposure
Alice Che Ha Chen
Diamantina Institute for Cancer, Immunology and Metabolic Medicine, University of Queensland, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, QLD 4102, Australia
J Gen Virol 89:2891-7. 2008
..018). Interestingly, HPV-76 was only detected in the group without frequent sun-exposure (P=0.001). These results suggest that increased UV radiation exposure may be a factor leading to a difference in prevalence of cutaneous HPV types...
- The inactivation of microbes by sunlight: solar disinfection as a water treatment process
Robert H Reed
Division of Biomedical Sciences, Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 8ST, United Kingdom
Adv Appl Microbiol 54:333-65. 2004
- Sun exposure and number of nevi in 5- to 6-year-old European children
Department of Epidemiology and Medical Statistics, School of Public Health, University of Bielefeld, University Street 25, Germany
J Clin Epidemiol 55:1075-81. 2002
..In conclusion, strategies to reduce the incidence of melanoma should begin with young children...
- Serum levels of vitamin D, sunlight exposure, and knee cartilage loss in older adults: the Tasmanian older adult cohort study
Menzies Research Institute, University of Tasmania, Hobart, Tasmania
Arthritis Rheum 60:1381-9. 2009
To determine the associations between serum levels of vitamin D, sunlight exposure, and knee cartilage loss cross-sectionally and longitudinally in older adults.
- Prevalence and predictors of vitamin D inadequacy amongst Lebanese osteoporotic women
Marie Hélène Gannagé-Yared
Department of Endocrinology, Saint Joseph University, Hotel Dieu de France Hospital, Achrafieh, Beirut, Lebanon
Br J Nutr 101:487-91. 2009
..001; P=002 and P=0.02 respectively). There is an urgent need to increase vitamin D supplement use in Middle-Eastern osteoporotic women, more particularly in those from the Muslim community...
- Vitamin D status and bone mineral density of veiled and unveiled Turkish women
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Cukurova University School of Medicine, Adana, Turkey
J Womens Health Gend Based Med 10:765-70. 2001
..7 +/- 6.13 years, and 66.7% of the veiled women claimed that they were not ever exposed to direct sunlight, as they were leading an indoor life...
- Photodegradation of decabromodiphenyl ether in house dust by natural sunlight
Heather M Stapleton
Duke University, Nicholas School of the Environment and Earth Sciences, Durham, NC 27708, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 27:306-12. 2008
..In the present study, both a natural and a BDE 209-spiked dust material were exposed to sunlight for 200 cumulative h...