- Weather-related mortality: how heat, cold, and heat waves affect mortality in the United States
Brooke G Anderson
Environmental Engineering Program, Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA
Epidemiology 20:205-13. 2009
Many studies have linked weather to mortality; however, role of such critical factors as regional variation, susceptible populations, and acclimatization remain unresolved.
- Modeling the effects of weather and climate change on malaria transmission
Paul Edward Parham
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Grantham Institute for Climate Change, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
Environ Health Perspect 118:620-6. 2010
- Extreme water-related weather events and waterborne disease
K F Cann
Communicable Disease Surveillance Centre, Public Health Wales, Temple of Peace and Health, Cathays Park, Cardiff, UK
Epidemiol Infect 141:671-86. 2013
Global climate change is expected to affect the frequency, intensity and duration of extreme water-related weather events such as excessive precipitation, floods, and drought...
- Time series analysis of Japanese encephalitis and weather in Linyi City, China
School of Public Health and Primary Care, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
Int J Public Health 57:289-96. 2012
..To examine the relationship between meteorological factors and epidemiological pattern of Japanese encephalitis in Linyi City during 1956-2004...
- Population dynamics of Aedes aegypti and dengue as influenced by weather and human behavior in San Juan, Puerto Rico
Entomology and Ecology Activity, Dengue Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Calle Cañada, San Juan, Puerto Rico
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1378. 2011
Previous studies on the influence of weather on Aedes aegypti dynamics in Puerto Rico suggested that rainfall was a significant driver of immature mosquito populations and dengue incidence, but mostly in the drier areas of the island...
- Malaria early warnings based on seasonal climate forecasts from multi-model ensembles
M C Thomson
International Research Institute for Climate and Society IRI, The Earth Institute at Columbia University, New York, New York 10964 8000, USA
Nature 439:576-9. 2006
..In years in which the forecast probability distribution is different from that of climatology, malaria decision-makers can use this information for improved resource allocation...
- The effect of season and weather on physical activity: a systematic review
Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Western Ontario, Ontario, Canada
Public Health 121:909-22. 2007
This study reviewed previous studies to explore the effect of season, and consequently weather, on levels of physical activity.
- Cholera dynamics and El Niño-Southern Oscillation
Center of Marine Biotechnology, University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute, 701 East Pratt Street, Suite 236, Columbus Center, Baltimore, MD 21202, USA
Science 289:1766-9. 2000
..Cholera patterns are linked to the previously described changes in the atmospheric circulation of south Asia and, consistent with these changes, to regional temperature anomalies...
- Multiyear climate variability and dengue--El Niño southern oscillation, weather, and dengue incidence in Puerto Rico, Mexico, and Thailand: a longitudinal data analysis
Michael A Johansson
Dengue Branch, Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, San Juan, Puerto Rico, United States of America
PLoS Med 6:e1000168. 2009
..The El Niño Southern Oscillation (ENSO) is a multiyear climate driver of local temperature and precipitation worldwide. Previous studies have reported varying degrees of association between ENSO and dengue incidence...
- A weather-driven model of malaria transmission
Moshe B Hoshen
Virtual Population Laboratory, Department of Physics, University of Liverpool, Liverpool L69 7ZE, UK
Malar J 3:32. 2004
..Climate is a major driving force behind malaria transmission and climate data are often used to account for the spatial, seasonal and interannual variation in malaria transmission...
- The effect of weather on respiratory and cardiovascular deaths in 12 U.S. cities
Alfesio L F Braga
Environmental Epidemiology Program, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Environ Health Perspect 110:859-63. 2002
..S. cities to estimate both the acute effects and the lagged influence of weather on respiratory and cardiovascular disease (CVD) deaths...
- Spatial and temporal variations of malaria epidemic risk in Ethiopia: factors involved and implications
Tarekegn Abose Abeku
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, University Medical Centre, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Acta Trop 87:331-40. 2003
..1986 and August 1993 and factors that might have led to the events investigated using health facility records and weather data. The study showed that epidemics in specific years were associated with specific geographical areas...
- Ecological effects of climate fluctuations
Nils Chr Stenseth
Department of Biology, Division of Zoology, University of Oslo, Post Office Box 1050 Blindern, N 0316 Oslo, Norway
Science 297:1292-6. 2002
Climate influences a variety of ecological processes. These effects operate through local weather parameters such as temperature, wind, rain, snow, and ocean currents, as well as interactions among these...
- Short term effects of weather on hand, foot and mouth disease
Yien Ling Hii
Umeå Centre for Global Health Research, Epidemiology and Global Health, Department of Public Health and Clinical Medicine, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
PLoS ONE 6:e16796. 2011
..This study analyzed the effect of short-term changes in weather on the incidence of HFMD in Singapore.
- Weather-based prediction of Plasmodium falciparum malaria in epidemic-prone regions of Ethiopia I. Patterns of lagged weather effects reflect biological mechanisms
Hailay D Teklehaimanot
Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Malar J 3:41. 2004
..The impact of temperature on the duration of a mosquito's life cycle and the sporogonic phase of the parasite could explain the inconsistent findings...
- Time series analysis of dengue fever and weather in Guangzhou, China
National Institute for Communicable Disease Control and Prevention, China CDC, Beijing, PR China
BMC Public Health 9:395. 2009
..b>Weather variables are potential predictors of dengue incidence...
- Weather variables and Japanese encephalitis in the metropolitan area of Jinan city, China
Department of Public Health, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
J Infect 55:551-6. 2007
To identify weather-related risk factors and their roles in Japanese encephalitis transmission and to provide policy implications for local health authorities and communities.
- Weather and land cover influences on mosquito populations in Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Ting Wu Chuang
Geographic Information Science Center of Excellence, South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD 57007, USA
J Med Entomol 48:669-79. 2011
..Meteorological information was summarized from local weather stations. Cx. tarsalis exhibited stronger spatial autocorrelation than Ae. vexans...
- Weather, water quality and infectious gastrointestinal illness in two Inuit communities in Nunatsiavut, Canada: potential implications for climate change
Sherilee L Harper
Department of Population Medicine, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada
Ecohealth 8:93-108. 2011
..The objective of this study was to describe the seasonality of and explore associations between weather, water quality and occurrence of infectious gastrointestinal illnesses (IGI) in two communities in Nunatsiavut, ..
- Weather variability affects abundance of larval Culex (Diptera: Culicidae) in storm water catch basins in suburban Chicago
Allison M Gardner
Department of Pathobiology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 2001 South Lincoln Avenue, Urbana IL 61802, USA
J Med Entomol 49:270-6. 2012
- Weather as an effective predictor for occurrence of dengue fever in Taiwan
Pei Chih Wu
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, 138 Sheng Li Road, Tainan 70428, Taiwan, ROC
Acta Trop 103:50-7. 2007
We evaluated the impacts of weather variability on the occurrence of dengue fever in a major metropolitan city, Kaohsiung, in southern Taiwan using time-series analysis...
- Seasonal variation in host susceptibility and cycles of certain infectious diseases
S F Dowell
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 7:369-74. 2001
..in the off-season without epidemic spread; and the consistency of seasonal changes, despite wide variations in weather and human behavior...
- Weather changes associated with hospitalizations for cardiovascular diseases and stroke in California, 1983-1998
K L Ebi
Exponent Health Group, 1800 Diagonal Road, Suite 355, Alexandria, VA 22314, USA
Int J Biometeorol 49:48-58. 2004
..models were used to evaluate associations between temperature, precipitation, days of extreme heat, and other weather changes (lagged 7 days), as well as El Niño events, with hospitalizations for acute myocardial infarction, ..
- Seasonal models of herpangina and hand-foot-mouth disease to simulate annual fluctuations in urban warming in Tokyo
Department of Pediatrics, Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo 105 8461, Japan
Jpn J Infect Dis 56:48-53. 2003
..models to predict fluctuations in rates of herpangina (HA) and hand-foot-mouth disease (HFMD) associated with weather conditions and calendar months in Tokyo, Japan...
- A nice day for an infection? Weather conditions and social contact patterns relevant to influenza transmission
Center for Health Economics Research and Modeling of Infectious Diseases, Center for the Evaluation of Vaccinations, Vaccine and Infectious Disease Institute, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
PLoS ONE 7:e48695. 2012
..b>Weather conditions are believed to affect virus survival, efficiency of transmission and host immunity, but seasonality ..
- Invasion of Phytophthora infestans at the landscape level: how do spatial scale and weather modulate the consequences of spatial heterogeneity in host resistance?
Wageningen University, Department of Plant Sciences, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Phytopathology 100:1146-61. 2010
..effectiveness of mixing resistant and susceptible cultivars at different spatial scales under the influence of weather. The model framework comprised a landscape generator, a potato late blight model that includes host and pathogen ..
- Weather and the transmission of bacillary dysentery in Jinan, northern China: a time-series analysis
Discipline of Public Health, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia
Public Health Rep 123:61-6. 2008
This article aims to quantify the relationship between weather variations and bacillary dysentery in Jinan, a city in northern China with a temperate climate, to reach a better understanding of the effect of weather variations on enteric ..
- The demographic impact of extreme events: stochastic weather drives survival and population dynamics in a long-lived seabird
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Hill of Brathens, Banchory, UK
J Anim Ecol 77:1020-9. 2008
1. Most scenarios for future climate change predict increased variability and thus increased frequency of extreme weather events...
- Weather and air pollution as triggers of severe headaches
Kenneth J Mukamal
Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Neurology 72:922-7. 2009
The roles of weather conditions and air pollution as triggers of headache have been inconsistent in previous, generally small studies.
- How do people solve the "weather prediction" task?: individual variability in strategies for probabilistic category learning
Mark A Gluck
Center for Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience, Rutgers University, Newark, New Jersey 07102, USA
Learn Mem 9:408-18. 2002
..One paradigm in particular, the weather prediction task, has been used in over half a dozen neuropsychological and neuroimaging studies to date...
- A role of high impact weather events in waterborne disease outbreaks in Canada, 1975 - 2001
Kate M Thomas
Department of Population Medicine, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Int J Environ Health Res 16:167-80. 2006
..to describe the incidence and distribution of waterborne disease outbreaks in Canada in relation to preceding weather conditions and to test the association between high impact weather events and waterborne disease outbreaks...
- Climate-based descriptive models of dengue fever: the 2002 epidemic in Colima, Mexico
Los Alamos National Laboratory, Mathematical Modeling and Analysis and Statistics Science, Los Alamos, NM 87545, USA
J Environ Health 68:40-4, 55. 2006
..Two simpler linear models with variables significant at the 99 percent confidence level were correlated with 88 percent (Precipitation + Evaporation) and 79 percent (Precipitation + Maximum Temperature) of the observed variance...
- Age, sex, density, winter weather, and population crashes in Soay sheep
Institute of Zoology, Zoological Society of London, Regent s Park, London NW1 4RY, UK
Science 292:1528-31. 2001
..of population size, and because animals of different age and sex respond in different ways to density and weather, identical weather conditions can result in different dynamics in populations of equal size...
- Health effects of hot weather: from awareness of risk factors to effective health protection
British Columbia Centre for Disease Control, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Lancet 375:856-63. 2010
..Because of the increasing concerns about climate change and deadly heatwaves in the past, the health effects of hot weather are fast becoming a global public health challenge for the 21st century...
- The effects of particulate air pollution on daily deaths: a multi-city case crossover analysis
Harvard School of Public Health, Exposure, Epidemiology, and Risk Program, 401 Park Drive, Suite 415 West, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Occup Environ Med 61:956-61. 2004
..Recently, several reports have indicated that the software used to control for season and weather in some of these studies had deficiencies.
- Seasonality and daily weather conditions in relation to myocardial infarction and sudden cardiac death in Olmsted County, Minnesota, 1979 to 2002
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 48:287-92. 2006
We assessed the relationship of season and weather types with myocardial infarction (MI) and sudden cardiac death (SCD) in a geographically defined population, and tested the hypothesis that the increased risk in winter was related to ..
- Impact of weather on marathon-running performance
Matthew R Ely
U S Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, Natick, MA 01760, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 39:487-93. 2007
Marathon running performance slows in warm weather conditions, but the quantitative impact of weather has not been established.
- Building human resilience: the role of public health preparedness and response as an adaptation to climate change
Mark E Keim
National Center for Environmental Health, Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, CDC, Atlanta, Georgia 30341 3724, USA
Am J Prev Med 35:508-16. 2008
Global climate change will increase the probability of extreme weather events, including heatwaves, drought, wildfire, cyclones, and heavy precipitation that could cause floods and landslides...
- Weather-driven variation in dengue activity in Australia examined using a process-based modeling approach
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, and Fenner School of Environment and Society, Australian National University, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 88:65-72. 2013
The impact of weather variation on dengue transmission in Cairns, Australia, was determined by applying a process-based dengue simulation model (DENSiM) that incorporated local meteorologic, entomologic, and demographic data...
- Impact of weather factors on Mycoplasma pneumoniae pneumonia
Department of Planning Information and Administration, Fukuoka Institute of Health and Environmental Sciences, Dazaifu shi, Fukuoka, Japan
Thorax 64:507-11. 2009
Although multiple combinations of weather factors may contribute to an increased incidence of Mycoplasma pneumoniae pneumonia, few studies have investigated the association between weather factors and cases of M pneumoniae pneumonia.
- Bird migration flight altitudes studied by a network of operational weather radars
Adriaan M Dokter
Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute, De Bilt, The Netherlands
J R Soc Interface 8:30-43. 2011
..automated method for the detection and quantification of bird migration was developed for operational C-band weather radar, measuring bird density, speed and direction as a function of altitude...
- Congruent responses to weather variability in high arctic herbivores
Norwegian Institute for Nature Research, Fram Centre, 9296 Tromsø, Norway
Biol Lett 8:1002-5. 2012
Assessing the role of weather in the dynamics of wildlife populations is a pressing task in the face of rapid environmental change...
- Effects of weather on the performance of marathon runners
Finnish Meteorological Institute, PO Box 503, 00101 Helsinki, Finland
Int J Biometeorol 54:297-306. 2010
..Due to decadal trends in the finishing time not related to weather, the finishing time anomaly (FTA) was calculated as the deviation of the annual finishing time from the linear ..
- Day length and weather effects on children's physical activity and participation in play, sports, and active travel
Faculty of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
J Phys Act Health 9:1105-16. 2012
Children in primary school are more physically active in the spring/summer. Little is known about the relative contributions of day length and weather, however, or about the underlying behavioral mediators.
- Seasonal weather, nutrients, and conspecific presence impacts on the southern house mosquito oviposition dynamics in combined sewage overflows
An T Nguyen
Department of Environmental Studies, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Med Entomol 49:1328-38. 2012
..study we manipulated the amount of nutrients by further enriching combined sewage overflow water, and tracked weather variables, organic nutrient concentration, exposure time to conspecifics, and the number of egg rafts collected ..
- The impact of weather conditions on Culex pipiens and Culex restuans (Diptera: Culicidae) abundance: a case study in Peel Region
Laboratory of Mathematical Parallel Systems Centre for Disease Modelling LAMPS CDM, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, York University, Toronto, Ontario M3J 1P3 Canada
J Med Entomol 48:468-75. 2011
Mosquito populations are sensitive to long-term variations in climate and short-term variations in weather. Mosquito abundance is a key determinant of outbreaks of mosquito-borne diseases, such as West Nile virus (WNV)...
- The effects of daily weather on accelerometer-measured physical activity
Division of General Internal Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA
J Phys Act Health 8:934-43. 2011
This study analyzes Chicago-area weather effects on objectively measured physical activity over a 3-year period among a cohort of 241 participants in an on-going arthritis physical activity trial.
- The role of weather in mediating the effect of mercury exposure on reproductive success in tree swallows
Kelly K Hallinger
Department of Biology, College of William and Mary, Institute for Integrative Bird Behavior Studies, Williamsburg, VA 23187, USA
Ecotoxicology 20:1368-77. 2011
..The magnitude of this difference was weather-dependent: unusually high ambient temperatures encountered early in the nestling period were associated with ..
- Overview of deaths associated with natural events, United States, 1979-2004
Maria T F Thacker
Division of Health Studies, Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, Atlanta, GA, USA
Disasters 32:303-15. 2008
..Most deaths associated with natural events are preventable and society can take action to decrease the morbidity and mortality connected with them...
- Beyond climate envelopes: effects of weather on regional population trends in butterflies
Michiel F Wallisdevries
De Vlinderstichting Dutch Butterfly Conservation, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Oecologia 167:559-71. 2011
..Amongst others, an improved understanding of the effects of current weather on population trends is required...
- Time-series analysis of weather and mortality patterns in Nairobi's informal settlements
African Population and Health Research Center, Nairobi, Kenya
Glob Health Action 5:23-32. 2012
Many studies have established a link between weather (primarily temperature) and daily mortality in developed countries. However, little is known about this relationship in urban populations in sub-Saharan Africa.
- The impact of weather on influenza and pneumonia mortality in New York City, 1975-2002: a retrospective study
Robert E Davis
Department of Environmental Sciences, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e34091. 2012
..019). This research supports the contention that cold, dry air may be related to influenza mortality and suggests that warning systems could provide enough lead time to be effective in mitigating the effects...
- The complex relationship between weather and dengue virus transmission in Thailand
Karen M Campbell
Computational Science Research Center, San Diego State University, San Diego, California Department of Mathematics and Statistics, San Diego State University, San Diego, California Office of Disease Prevention and Control 1, Bangkok, Thailand Department of Entomology, University of California, Davis, California Fogarty International Center, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland
Am J Trop Med Hyg 89:1066-80. 2013
Using a novel analytical approach, weather dynamics and seasonal dengue virus transmission cycles were profiled for each Thailand province, 1983-2001, using monthly assessments of cases, temperature, humidity, and rainfall...
- Warm, wet weather associated with increased Legionnaires' disease incidence in The Netherlands
Rijksinstituut voor Volksgezondheid en Milieu National Institute for Public Health and the Environment RIVM, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Epidemiol Infect 137:181-7. 2009
It has been suggested that warm and humid weather is related to a high incidence of Legionnaires' disease (LD), but no data on this association existed in The Netherlands...
- Local population and regional environmental drivers of cholera in Bangladesh
Department of Geography, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, USA
Environ Health 9:2. 2010
..Previous work in Bangladesh found that temporal patterns of cholera are positively related to satellite-derived environmental variables including ocean chlorophyll concentration (OCC)...
- Influence of weather on daily hospital admissions for acute myocardial infarction (from the Korea Acute Myocardial Infarction Registry)
Jang Hoon Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Kyungpook National University Hospital, Chung Ku, Daegu, Republic of Korea
Int J Cardiol 144:16-21. 2010
..We investigated the association between meteorological parameters and hospital admissions for acute myocardial infarction (AMI) in a temperate and continental climate, Korea...
- Distributions of pharmaceuticals in an urban estuary during both dry- and wet-weather conditions
Mark J Benotti
Marine Sciences Research Center, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, New York 11794 5000, USA
Environ Sci Technol 41:5795-802. 2007
..Concentrations throughout the bay are often consistent with conservative behavior during dry-weather conditions, as evidenced by nearly linear concentration-salinity relationships...
- Impact of changing water levels and weather on Oncomelania hupensis hupensis populations, the snail host of Schistosoma japonicum, downstream of the Three Gorges Dam
Edmund Y W Seto
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Ecohealth 5:149-58. 2008
..Oncomelania hupensis hupensis, the snail host for Schistosoma japonicum, in response to changing water levels and weather from 1998 to 2002...
- Weather and emergency room visits for migraine headaches in Ottawa, Canada
P J Villeneuve
Air Health Effects Division, Health Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Headache 46:64-72. 2006
Self-reported surveys have indicated that weather can trigger migraine headaches. However, to date, we know of no previous study that has examined the relationship between weather and emergency room (ER) visits for this condition.
- Host, weather and virological factors drive norovirus epidemiology: time-series analysis of laboratory surveillance data in England and Wales
Gastrointestinal, Emerging and Zoonotic Infections Department, Centre for Infections, Health Protection Agency, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 4:e6671. 2009
..Viral populations are dynamic and evolve under positive selection pressure...
- Day length and weather conditions profoundly affect physical activity levels in older functionally impaired people
Section of Ageing and Health, Division of Medicine and Therapeutics, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, Dundee, UK
J Epidemiol Community Health 63:305-9. 2009
..Few objective data exist on the effect of weather on physical activity levels in this group...
- Effect of Chinook winds on the probability of migraine headache occurrence
University of Calgary and Calgary General Hospital, Alberta, Canada
Headache 37:153-8. 1997
Our objective was to determine if Chinook weather conditions in the Calgary area increase the probability of headache attacks in migraine sufferers...
- Dengue fever and El Nino/Southern Oscillation in Queensland, Australia: a time series predictive model
School of Population Health, The University of Queensland, Herston Road, Herston, Queensland 4006, Australia
Occup Environ Med 67:307-11. 2010
..It remains unclear over whether it is possible to develop an epidemic forecasting model for transmission of dengue fever in Queensland, Australia...
- Weather-induced ischemia and arrhythmia in patients undergoing cardiac rehabilitation: another difference between men and women
Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, German Research Center for Environmental Health, Institute of Epidemiology, Neuherberg, Germany
Int J Biometeorol 52:535-47. 2008
..like changing meteorological parameters, the objective of this longitudinal study was to analyze the influence of weather parameters on blood pressure, arrhythmia and ischemia in cardiovascular patients...
- Variations in entomological indices in relation to weather patterns and malaria incidence in East African highlands: implications for epidemic prevention and control
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Malar J 7:231. 2008
- The potential impacts of climate variability and change on health impacts of extreme weather events in the United States
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Environ Health Perspect 109:191-8. 2001
Extreme weather events such as precipitation extremes and severe storms cause hundreds of deaths and injuries annually in the United States. Climate change may alter the frequency, timing, intensity, and duration of these events...
- Resilience to the health risks of extreme weather events in a changing climate in the United States
Kristie L Ebi
Department of Medicine, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Int J Environ Res Public Health 8:4582-95. 2011
..vulnerability to climate variability, but do not necessarily increase resilience to future (and different) weather patterns...
- Space-time variation of malaria incidence in Yunnan province, China
Archie C A Clements
University of Queensland, School of Population Health, Queensland, Australia
Malar J 8:180. 2009
..Understanding spatio-temporal variation in malaria incidence provides a basis for effective disease control planning and monitoring...
- Environmental, socio-demographic and behavioural determinants of malaria risk in the western Kenyan highlands: a case-control study
Kacey C Ernst
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Trop Med Int Health 14:1258-65. 2009
..To identify risk factors for uncomplicated malaria in highland areas of East Africa at higher risk of malaria epidemics, in order to design appropriate interventions...
- Weather-based prediction of Plasmodium falciparum malaria in epidemic-prone regions of Ethiopia II. Weather-based prediction systems perform comparably to early detection systems in identifying times for interventions
Hailay D Teklehaimanot
Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Malar J 3:44. 2004
..Early warning methods that provide earlier alerts (usually by the use of weather variables) may permit control measures to interrupt transmission earlier in the epidemic, perhaps at the expense ..
- Public perception and behavior change in relationship to hot weather and air pollution
Jan C Semenza
School of Community Health, Portland State University, P O Box 751, Portland, OR 97207 0751, USA
Environ Res 107:401-11. 2008
..Changes in climate systems are increasing heat wave frequency and air stagnation, both conditions associated with exacerbating poor air quality and of considerable public health concern...
- Epidemiologic study of mortality during the Summer 2003 heat wave in Italy
Bureau of Statistics, National Centre of Epidemiology, Surveillance and Promotion of Health, Italian National Institute of Health Istituto Superiore di Sanità, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161 Rome, Italy
Environ Res 98:390-9. 2005
- Effects of weather on pedometer-determined physical activity in children
James Scott Duncan
Centre for Physical Activity and Nutrition Research, Auckland University of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand
Med Sci Sports Exerc 40:1432-8. 2008
The effects of weather conditions on children's physical activity have not been well described.
- Prediction of Peromyscus maniculatus (deer mouse) population dynamics in Montana, USA, using satellite-driven vegetation productivity and weather data
Rachel A Loehman
US Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station Fire Sciences Laboratory, 5775 West US Hwy 10, Missoula, Montana 59808, USA
J Wildl Dis 48:348-60. 2012
..Sequential changes in weather and plant productivity (trophic cascades) have been noted as likely catalysts of deer mouse population irruptions,..
- Infectious disease outbreaks related to drinking water in Canada, 1974-2001
Corinne J Schuster
HPRP Project 045032, University of Guelph, ON
Can J Public Health 96:254-8. 2005
- Different transmission patterns in the early stages of the influenza A(H1N1)v pandemic: a comparative analysis of 12 European countries
Centre for Infections, Health Protection Agency, London, UK
Epidemics 3:125-33. 2011
..distribution of the imported cases, differences in contact patterns, mitigation strategies, school holidays and weather patterns. No single factor was able to explain the differences sufficiently...
- Decomposing the association of completed suicide with air pollution, weather, and unemployment data at different time scales
Albert C Yang
Department of Psychiatry, Chu Tung Veterans Hospital, Hsin Chu County, Taiwan
J Affect Disord 129:275-81. 2011
..This study comprehensively assesses the temporal relationship between suicide and air pollution, weather, and unemployment variables in Taipei City from January 1 1991 to December 31 2008.
- Modeling epidemics caused by respiratory syncytial virus (RSV)
Institut für Informatik II, Universitat Bonn, Romerstrasse 164, 53117 Bonn, Germany
Math Biosci 172:95-113. 2001
..Estimates of the basic reproduction number (R(0)) ranged from 1.2 to 2.1 with the SIRS model, and from 5.4 to 7.1 with the model with gradual acquisition of partial immunity...
- . . . But watch out for the weather: factors affecting adherence to progressive resistance exercise for persons with COPD
Simone D O'Shea
School of Physiotherapy, La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia
J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev 27:166-74; quiz 175-6. 2007
..The purpose of this investigation was to explore adherence factors to a progressive resistance exercise program for persons with COPD...
- Short report: Asthma admissions and weather conditions in Costa Rica
J F Chavarría
National Children s Hospital, PO Box 1654 1000, San Jose, Costa Rica, Central America
Arch Dis Child 84:514-5. 2001
..In Costa Rica there is little information about asthma admissions. In this report the monthly asthma admissions and weather data for a seven year period were reviewed...
- Climate change: the importance of place
Jeremy J Hess
National Center for Environmental Health, CDC, Atlanta, Georgia 30341 3717, USA
Am J Prev Med 35:468-78. 2008
..In considering the importance of place, we highlight the concepts of community resilience and risk management, key aspects of a robust response to climate change in public health and other sectors...
- Windy weather and low humidity are associated with an increased number of hospital admissions for acute pain and sickle cell disease in an urban environment with a maritime temperate climate
School of Mathematics, Kingston University, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey, UK
Br J Haematol 131:530-3. 2005
..The effect of high wind and low humidity is likely to be related to skin cooling...
- Relationships between weather and myocardial infarction: a biometeorological approach
Interdepartmental Centre of Bioclimatology University of Florence, Piazzale delle Cascine 18, 50144, Florence, Italy
Int J Cardiol 105:288-93. 2005
To calculate threshold values of weather discomfort which increase the risk of hospital admissions for myocardial infarction in winter and summer.
- Assessing the effects of weather conditions on physical activity participation using objective measures
Catherine B Chan
Departments of Physiology and Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, T6G 2R3, Canada
Int J Environ Res Public Health 6:2639-54. 2009
..The weather has been identified as a perceived barrier to participation in physical activity, but exactly which adverse ..
- The role of weather on the relation between influenza and influenza-like illness
Sander P van Noort
Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciencia, Apartado 14, Oeiras 2781 901, Portugal
J Theor Biol 298:131-7. 2012
..b>Weather factors have been shown to influence the manifestation of influenza-like symptoms...
- Association of weather conditions with childhood admissions for wheezy bronchitis or asthma in Athens
Kostas N Priftis
Department of Allergy Pneumonology, Penteli Children s Hospital, P Penteli, Greece
Respiration 73:783-90. 2006
..The association between asthma morbidity and meteorological conditions is well documented, but it is not clear to what extent more specific meteorological variables are implicated...
- Copenhagen--a significant source of birch (Betula) pollen?
Carsten Ambelas Skjøth
National Environmental Research Institute, University of Aarhus, Frederiksborgvej 399, Roskilde, Denmark
Int J Biometeorol 52:453-62. 2008
..We suggest, that these differences in time and space in the pollen levels are mapped using an integrated monitoring strategy...
- Migraine and weather: a prospective diary-based analysis
Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Cephalalgia 31:391-400. 2011
b>Weather is mentioned as a trigger factor by migraine patients most frequently...
- Wide variability in physical activity environments and weather-related outdoor play policies in child care centers within a single county of Ohio
Kristen A Copeland
General and Community Pediatrics, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, 3333 Burnet Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 165:435-42. 2011
..To examine the variability of physical activity environments and outdoor play policies in child care centers and to determine whether this variability is associated with the demographic characteristics of the child care centers surveyed...
- Lead levels in Eurasian otters decline with time and reveal interactions between sources, prevailing weather, and stream chemistry
Elizabeth A Chadwick
Cardiff University School of Biosciences, Museum Avenue, Cardiff CF10 3AX, UK
Environ Sci Technol 45:1911-6. 2011
..Opportunistic collection of samples from wildlife mortalities provided a valuable opportunity for monitoring environmental contamination, interpretation of which was aided by spatially explicit analysis of environmental variables...
- Temporal associations between weather and headache: analysis by empirical mode decomposition
Albert C Yang
Department of Psychiatry, Chu Tung Veterans Hospital, Hsin Chu County, Taiwan
PLoS ONE 6:e14612. 2011
Patients frequently report that weather changes trigger headache or worsen existing headache symptoms...
- Greenhouse gas fluxes in an eastern Corn Belt soil: weather, nitrogen source, and rotation
USDA ARS, National Soil Tilth Lab, Ames, IA 50011 3120, USA
J Environ Qual 38:841-54. 2009
..of carbon dioxide (CO(2)), methane (CH(4)), and nitrous oxide (N(2)O) as affected by management practices and weather. Gas fluxes were measured by vented, static chambers in Drummer and Raub soil series during two growing seasons...
- Numerical simulation of birch pollen dispersion with an operational weather forecast system
Institut für Meteorologie und Klimaforschung, Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe Universität Karlsruhe, Postfach 3640, 76021, Karlsruhe, Germany
Int J Biometeorol 52:805-14. 2008
..Since COSMO-ART is based on the operational forecast model of the German Weather Service, we are presenting a feasibility study of daily pollen forecast based on methods which have been ..
- Predicting days of high allergenic risk during Betula pollination using weather types
Climat and Santé, Centre d Epidémiologie de Populations, Dijon, France
Int J Biometeorol 45:124-32. 2001
..to build up a picture of the influence of meteorological conditions on pollen and pollinosis, taking account of weather types, pollen concentrations in the air and pollinosis symptoms, with the aim of preventing allergic responses...
- Summary of the mortality impact assessment of the 2003 heat wave in France
Institut de Veille Sanitaire, Département Santé Environnement, Saint Maurice, France
Euro Surveill 10:153-6. 2005
..Based on these results, the French government developed a Heat Health Watch Warning System and set up a preventive action plan for each region in 2004...
- How does local weather predict red deer home range size at different temporal scales?
Inger Maren Rivrud
Department of Biology, Centre for Ecological and Evolutionary Synthesis CEES, University of Oslo, P O Box 1066 Blindern, NO 0316 Oslo, Norway
J Anim Ecol 79:1280-95. 2010
..Insight on the behavioural basis of responses to climate enables more accurate predictions of possible nonlinear relationships to future global warming...
- Thunderstorm outflows preceding epidemics of asthma during spring and summer
G B Marks
Institute of Respiratory Medicine, University of Sydney, NSW 2050, Australia
Thorax 56:468-71. 2001
..A study was undertaken to assess the importance of thunderstorms as a cause of epidemics of asthma exacerbations and to investigate the underlying mechanism...
- Cattle, weather and water: mapping Escherichia coli O157:H7 infections in humans in England and Scotland
School of Life Sciences, Kingston University, Penrhyn Road, Kingston upon Thames, London KT1 2EE, UK
Environ Microbiol 12:2633-44. 2010
..coli O157:H7 infection among hospitalized patients. This review attempts to suggest why this phenomenon occurs, paying particular attention to weather, animal movement and private water supplies.
- Weather and notified Campylobacter infections in temperate and sub-tropical regions of Australia: an ecological study
Discipline of Public Health, University of Adelaide, North Terrace, Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
J Infect 57:317-23. 2008
The relationship between weather and food-borne diseases has been of great concern recently...
- Climate change and infectious disease: stormy weather ahead?
Paul R Epstein
Center for Health and the Global Environment, Harvard Medical School, 333 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Epidemiology 13:373-5. 2002
- Assessing the roles of temperature, precipitation, and ENSO in dengue re-emergence on the Texas-Mexico border region
Joan M Brunkard
Department of Environmental Studies, University of California, Santa Cruz, California, USA
Salud Publica Mex 50:227-34. 2008
The goal of this study was to assess linkages between microclimate and longer-term ENSO-related weather forcing on the week-to-week changes in dengue prevalence in Matamoros, Tamaulipas, Mexico, over a recent decade of dengue observations.