Genomes and Genes
Summary: The mixture of gases present in the earth's atmosphere consisting of oxygen, nitrogen, carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases.
Publications372 found, 100 shown here
- What have we learned from 15 years of free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE)? A meta-analytic review of the responses of photosynthesis, canopy properties and plant production to rising CO2Elizabeth A Ainsworth
Department of Crop Sciences, University of Illinois, 190 Edward R Madigan Laboratory, 1201 W Gregory Drive, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
New Phytol 165:351-71. 2005Free-air CO(2) enrichment (FACE) experiments allow study of the effects of elevated [CO(2)] on plants and ecosystems grown under natural conditions without enclosure...
- Hypoxia and fungal pathogenesis: to air or not to air?Nora Grahl
Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana, USA
Eukaryot Cell 11:560-70. 2012..The implications of these in vivo hypoxic microenvironments for fungal metabolism and pathogenesis are discussed with an aim toward understanding the potential impact of hypoxia on invasive fungal infection outcomes...
- Suppression of air refractive index variations in high-resolution interferometryJosef Lazar
Institute of Scientific Instruments, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Kralovopolska 147, Brno 612 64, Czech Republic
Sensors (Basel) 11:7644-55. 2011The influence of the refractive index of air has proven to be a major problem on the road to improvement of the uncertainty in interferometric displacement measurements...
- Estimating air temperature and its influence on malaria transmission across AfricaTini Garske
MRC Centre for Outbreak Analysis and Modelling, Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 8:e56487. 2013..In particular, water temperature influences larval development rates whereas air temperature determines adult longevity as well as the rate of parasite development within the adult mosquito...
- Air temperature and the occurrence of myocardial infarction in Augsburg, GermanyKathrin Wolf
Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, German Research Center for Environmental Health, Institute of Epidemiology, 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
Circulation 120:735-42. 2009b>Air temperature changes have been associated with cardiovascular mortality and morbidity...
- Murine nasal septa for respiratory epithelial air-liquid interface culturesMarcelo B Antunes
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Biotechniques 43:195-6, 198, 200 passim. 2007b>Air-liquid interface models using murine tracheal respiratory epithelium have revolutionized the in vitro study of pulmonary diseases...
- Dose-controlled exposure of A549 epithelial cells at the air-liquid interface to airborne ultrafine carbonaceous particlesE Bitterle
GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Institute for Inhalation Biology, Ingolstaedter Landstr 1, D 85764 Neuherberg Munich, Germany
Chemosphere 65:1784-90. 2006..chambers designed for harbouring three membrane-based cell cultures was modified for reliable and dose-controlled air-liquid interface (ALI) exposures...
- Metal-air batteries: from oxygen reduction electrochemistry to cathode catalystsFangyi Cheng
Key Laboratory of Advanced Energy Materials Chemistry Ministry of Education, Chemistry College, Nankai University, Tianjin, 300071, People s Republic of China
Chem Soc Rev 41:2172-92. 2012Because of the remarkably high theoretical energy output, metal-air batteries represent one class of promising power sources for applications in next-generation electronics, electrified transportation and energy storage of smart grids...
- Platinum-gold nanoparticles: a highly active bifunctional electrocatalyst for rechargeable lithium-air batteriesYi Chun Lu
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
J Am Chem Soc 132:12170-1. 2010..It is hypothesized that PtAu NPs exhibit bifunctional catalytic activity, having surface Au and Pt atoms primarily responsible for ORR and OER kinetics in Li-O(2) cells, respectively...
- Murine tracheal and nasal septal epithelium for air-liquid interface cultures: a comparative studyBradford A Woodworth
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Pennsylvania Health System, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Am J Rhinol 21:533-7. 2007b>Air-liquid interface cultures using murine tracheal respiratory epithelium have revolutionized the in vitro study of airway diseases...
- Air-liquid interface cultures enhance the oxygen supply and trigger the structural and functional differentiation of intestinal porcine epithelial cells (IPEC)Constanze Nossol
Institute of Anatomy, Medical Faculty, Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg, Leipziger Strasse 44, Magdeburg, Germany
Histochem Cell Biol 136:103-15. 2011..Therefore, we compared the dish cell culture, the transwell-like membrane culture and the oxygen enriched air-liquid interface (ALI) culture...
- Avoiding high relative air humidity during critical stages of leaf ontogeny is decisive for stomatal functioningDimitrios Fanourakis
Department of Plant Sciences, Horticultural Supply Chains Group, Wageningen University, The Netherlands
Physiol Plant 142:274-86. 2011Plants of several species, if grown at high relative air humidity (RH ≥85%), develop stomata that fail to close fully in case of low leaf water potential...
- Contributing factors to corneal deformation in air puff measurementsSabine Kling
Instituto de Optica Daza de Valdes, Madrid, Spain
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 54:5078-85. 2013b>Air puff systems have been presented recently to measure corneal biomechanical properties in vivo...
- Specific ion effects at the air/water interfacePavel Jungwirth
Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, and Center for Biomolecules and Complex Molecular Systems, Flemingovo nam 2, 16610 Prague 6, Czech Republic
Chem Rev 106:1259-81. 2006
- Observations of increased tropical rainfall preceded by air passage over forestsD V Spracklen
School of Earth and Environment, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
Nature 489:282-5. 2012..find that for more than 60 per cent of the tropical land surface (latitudes 30 degrees south to 30 degrees north), air that has passed over extensive vegetation in the preceding few days produces at least twice as much rain as air ..
- Surgical sealant for the prevention of prolonged air leak after lung resection: meta-analysisGuislain Malapert
Department of General Thoracic Surgery, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Dijon, Hospital du Bocage, Dijon, France
Ann Thorac Surg 90:1779-85. 2010..The aim of our meta-analysis was to determine the effectiveness and safety of different techniques to reduce the proportion of patients with prolonged air leakage after pulmonary resection.
- Comparison of the total phenolic and ascorbic acid content of freeze-dried and air-dried marionberry, strawberry, and corn grown using conventional, organic, and sustainable agricultural practicesDanny K Asami
Department of Food Science and Technology, University of California Davis, 95616, USA
J Agric Food Chem 51:1237-41. 2003..Additionally, the effects of three common postharvest processing treatments (freezing, freeze-drying, and air-drying) on the TP content of these agricultural products were also investigated...
- Air-conditioning in the human nasal cavityDavid Elad
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 163:121-7. 2008..functional roles of nasal breathing are defense against infiltrating particles and conditioning of the inspired air to nearly alveolar conditions in order to maintain the internal milieu of the lung...
- Effect of air-drying and solvent evaporation on the strength of HEMA-rich versus HEMA-free one-step adhesivesTakatsumi Ikeda
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Division of Oral Health Science, Hokkaido University, Graduate School of Dental Medicine, Kita 13 Nishi 7, Kita ku, Sapporo 060 8586, Japan
Dent Mater 24:1316-23. 2008The objectives of this study were (1) to clarify the relationship between the duration of air-drying of one-step self-etch adhesives (1-SEAs) and the evaporation degree (ED) of solvents, and (2) to evaluate the effect of ED on the ..
- Reactions of ozone with human skin lipids: sources of carbonyls, dicarbonyls, and hydroxycarbonyls in indoor airArmin Wisthaler
Institut fur Ionenphysik und Angewandte Physik, Leopold Franzens Universitat Innsbruck, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:6568-75. 2010This study has used proton transfer reaction-mass spectrometry (PTR-MS) for direct air analyses of volatile products resulting from the reactions of ozone with human skin lipids...
- Relationships between equilibrium spreading pressure and phase equilibria of phospholipid bilayers and monolayers at the air-water interfaceHeidi M Mansour
School of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin Madison, 777 Highland Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53705 2222, USA
Langmuir 23:3809-19. 2007..2 mN/m forming equilibrated gaseous monolayers, whereas spread monolayers collapse at a value of pic remaining around 30 mN/m, indicative of metastable gel bilayer formation...
- High-throughput screening of excipients intended to prevent antigen aggregation at air-liquid interfaceSébastien Dasnoy
Louvain Drug Research Institute, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Unite de Pharmacie Galenique, Avenue E Mounier 73, UCL 7320, 1200, Brussels, Belgium
Pharm Res 28:1591-605. 2011..with low protein concentrations, as present in vaccines, in order to evaluate the performance of various excipients in preventing the aggregation at air-liquid interface of an experimental recombinant antigen called Antigen 18A.
- Brewery wastewater treatment using air-cathode microbial fuel cellsYujie Feng
Department of Environmental Science and Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology, No 202, Haihe Road, Nangang District, Harbin 150090, China
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 78:873-80. 2008..These results show that brewery wastewater can be effectively treated using MFCs, but that achievable power densities will depend on wastewater strength, solution conductivity, and buffering capacity...
- Enzyme-catalyzed O2 removal system for electrochemical analysis under ambient air: application in an amperometric nitrate biosensorNicolas Plumeré
Center for Electrochemical Sciences CES, Analytische Chemie, Ruhr Universitat Bochum, Universitatsstrasse 150, 44801 Bochum, Germany
Anal Chem 84:2141-6. 2012..For general application, the optimum catalyst is pyranose 2-oxidase since the oxidation product does not interfere with the biorecognition element...
- An improved high-performance lithium-air batteryHun Gi Jung
Department of WCU Energy Engineering, Hanyang University, Seoul 133 791, Republic of Korea
Nat Chem 4:579-85. 2012..Owing to its exceptionally high energy potentiality, the lithium-air battery is a very appealing candidate for fulfilling this role...
- Effects of air and water temperatures on resting metabolism of auklets and other diving birdsSamantha E Richman
Department of Zoology, University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming 82071, USA
Physiol Biochem Zool 84:316-32. 2011..We measured resting metabolic rate (RMR) in air and on water for a small diving bird, the Cassin's auklet (Ptychoramphus aleuticus), and compared these results to ..
- Characterization of the in situ structural and interfacial properties of the cationic hydrophobic heteropolypeptide, KL4, in lung surfactant bilayer and monolayer models at the air-water interface: implications for pulmonary surfactant deliveryHeidi M Mansour
Division of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53705, USA
Mol Pharm 5:681-95. 2008..Chem. 2003, 376, 182-188), of equilibrated KL 4, DPPC/KL 4, POPG/KL 4, and DPPC/POPG/KL 4 monolayers at the air-water interface was used to examine the in situ two-dimensional conformation of KL 4...
- Concentrations of polychlorinated biphenyls in indoor air and polybrominated diphenyl ethers in indoor air and dust in Birmingham, United Kingdom: implications for human exposureStuart Harrad
Division of Environmental Health and Risk Management, Public Health Building, School of Geography, Earth, and Environmental Sciences, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, B15 2TT, United Kingdom
Environ Sci Technol 40:4633-8. 2006Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) were measured in air (using PUF disk passive samplers) in 31 homes, 33 offices, 25 cars, and 3 public microenvironments...
- Ambient air levels of volatile organic compounds (VOC) and nitrogen dioxide (NO2) in a medium size city in Northern SpainM A Parra
Laboratorio Integrado de Calidad Ambiental LICA, Departamento de Quimica y Edafologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Navarra Irunlarrea 1, 31008, Pamplona, Navarra, Spain
Sci Total Environ 407:999-1009. 2009..The lowest levels of VOC and NO2 occurred during summer, owing to the increase in solar radiation and to lower traffic densities. Mean concentrations of benzene and NO2 exceeded the European limits at some of the monitored points...
- Real-time measurement of outdoor tobacco smoke particlesNeil E Klepeis
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA
J Air Waste Manag Assoc 57:522-34. 2007..However, OTS levels dropped almost instantly after smoking activity ceased. Based on our results, it is possible for OTS to present a nuisance or hazard under certain conditions of wind and smoker proximity...
- Loss of extracellular superoxide dismutase leads to acute lung damage in the presence of ambient air: a potential mechanism underlying adult respiratory distress syndromeMaria Carolina Gongora
Department of Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Am J Pathol 173:915-26. 2008..Strategies either to prevent SOD3 inactivation or to augment its levels might prove useful in the treatment of acute lung injury...
- Is the air pollution health research community prepared to support a multipollutant air quality management framework?Joe L Mauderly
Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87108, USA
Inhal Toxicol 22:1-19. 2010Ambient air pollution is always encountered as a complex mixture, but past regulatory and research strategies largely focused on single pollutants, pollutant classes, and sources one-at-a-time...
- High glycolate oxidase activity is required for survival of maize in normal airIsrael Zelitch
Department of Biochemistry and Genetics, The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, New Haven, Connecticut 06511, USA
Plant Physiol 149:195-204. 2009..Growth of seedlings in high CO2 (1%-5%) was sufficient to rescue the mutant phenotype. Upon transfer to normal air, the go1 mutant became necrotic within 7 d and plants died within 15 d...
- Experimental demonstration of masking phenomena between competing odorants via an air dilution sensory testKi Hyun Kim
Atmospheric Environment Laboratory, Department of Environment and Energy, Sejong University, Seoul, 143 747 Korea
Sensors (Basel) 10:7287-302. 2010To simulate the occurrence of masking phenomena with the aid of an air dilution sensory (ads) test, two types of odorant mixtures were prepared: (1) M(2) with two individual odorants [H(2)S and acetaldehyde (AA)] and (2) M(6) with six ..
- The effects of anesthetic agent and carrier gas on blood glucose and tissue uptake in mice undergoing dynamic FDG-PET imaging: sevoflurane and isoflurane compared in air and in oxygenJudith E Flores
Department of Biomedical Imaging, Genentech, 1 DNA Way MS 228, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
Mol Imaging Biol 10:192-200. 2008We sought to identify an anesthetic regime that, unlike isoflurane in air, would maintain glucose homeostasis in mice undergoing Positron emission tomography (PET) imaging with 2-deoxy-2-[18F]fluoro-D: -glucose (FDG).
- Effect of air temperature and humidity on the survival of pre-imaginal stages of two flea species (Siphonaptera: Pulicidae)B R Krasnov
Ramon Science Center, Jacob Blaustein Institute for Desert Research, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel
J Med Entomol 38:629-37. 2001..Changes in humidity between egg and larval emvironments significantly decreased the percentage of females in X. conformis emergence at 28 degrees C...
- Modified air-assisted descemetorhexis for Descemet-stripping automated endothelial keratoplastyJodhbir S Mehta
Singapore National Eye Centre, Singapore
J Cataract Refract Surg 34:889-91. 2008..We describe a simple modified technique to perform descemetorhexis under air that improves visualization, even in cloudy corneas, and aids in control of DM because of the enhanced surface ..
- Role of S100A8 and S100A9 in neutrophil recruitment in response to monosodium urate monohydrate crystals in the air-pouch model of acute gouty arthritisCarle Ryckman
Infectious Diseases Research Center, Centre de Recherche du Centre Hospitalier de l Universite Laval, 2705 Laurier Boulevard, Sainte Foy, Quebec G1V 4G2, Canada
Arthritis Rheum 48:2310-20. 2003..To examine the role of chemokines, S100A8, and S100A9 in neutrophil accumulation induced by the causative agent of gout, monosodium urate monohydrate (MSU) crystals...
- Resuscitation with 100% O2 increases cerebral injury in hypoxemic pigletsBerit H Munkeby
Department of Pediatric Research, Rikshospitalet University Hospital, N 0027 Oslo, Norway
Pediatr Res 56:783-90. 2004..We hypothesized that resuscitation with 100% O2 compared with ambient air is detrimental to the cerebral tissue...
- Transconjunctival orbital emphysema caused by compressed air injury: a case reportSunu Mathew
Department of Ophthalmology, St Johns Medical College Hospital, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 56:247-9. 2008Orbital emphysema following conjunctival tear in the absence of orbital wall fracture, caused by air under pressure is rare...
- Gasifier selection, design and gasification of oil palm fronds with preheated and unheated gasifying airFiseha M Guangul
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS, Bandar Seri Iskandar, 31750 Tronoh, Perak, Malaysia
Bioresour Technol 126:224-32. 2012..downdraft gasifier was constructed with a novel height adjustment mechanism for changing the position of gasifying air and steam inlet...
- The averaging effect of odorant mixing as determined by air dilution sensory tests: a case study on reduced sulfur compoundsKi Hyun Kim
Atmospheric Environment Laboratory, Department of Environment and Energy, Sejong University, Seoul 143 747, Korea
Sensors (Basel) 11:1405-17. 2011To learn more about the effects of mixing different odorants, a series of air dilution sensory (ADS) tests were conducted using four reduced sulfur compounds [RSC: hydrogen sulfide (H(2)S), methanethiol (CH(3)SH), dimethylsulfide (DMS), ..
- FLO11-based model for air-liquid interfacial biofilm formation by Saccharomyces cerevisiaeSeverino Zara
Dipartimento di Scienze Ambientali Agrarie e Biotecnologie Agroalimentari, Sezione di Microbiologia Generale ed Applicata, Universita di Sassari, Viale Italia 39, 07100 Sassari, Italy
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:2934-9. 2005Sardinian wine strains of Saccharomyces cerevisiae used to make sherry-like wines form a biofilm at the air-liquid interface at the end of ethanolic fermentation, when grape sugar is depleted and further growth becomes dependent on ..
- Ruthenium-based electrocatalysts supported on reduced graphene oxide for lithium-air batteriesHun Gi Jung
Department of Energy Engineering, Hanyang University, Seoul 133 791, Republic of Korea
ACS Nano 7:3532-9. 2013Ruthenium-based nanomaterials supported on reduced graphene oxide (rGO) have been investigated as air cathodes in non-aqueous electrolyte Li-air cells using a TEGDME-LiCF3SO3 electrolyte...
- Drought and air warming affect the species-specific levels of stress-related foliar metabolites of three oak species on acidic and calcareous soilBin Hu
Institute of Forest Botany and Tree Physiology, Chair of Tree Physiology, University of Freiburg, Georges Köhler Allee 53 54, D 79110 Freiburg, Germany
Tree Physiol 33:489-504. 2013Climate change as projected for Central Europe will lead to prolonged periods of summer drought and enhanced air temperature...
- Intramolecular Pd(II)-catalyzed oxidative biaryl synthesis under air: reaction development and scopeBenoît Liégault
Center for Catalysis Research and Innovation, Department of Chemistry, University of Ottawa, 10 Marie Curie, Ottawa, ON, K1N 6J7, Canada
J Org Chem 73:5022-8. 2008New reaction conditions for intramolecular palladium(II)-catalyzed oxidative carbon-carbon bond formation under air are described...
- Ciliated air-liquid cultures as an aid to diagnostic testing of primary ciliary dyskinesiaRobert A Hirst
Department of Infection, Immunity, and Inflammation, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Leicester, LE2 7LX, England
Chest 138:1441-7. 2010..The diagnosis of primary ciliary dyskinesia (PCD) can prove difficult because of secondary damage of ciliated tissue...
- Quantitative volatile metabolite profiling of common indoor fungi: relevancy for indoor air analysisSven Schuchardt
Institute of Toxicology and Pharmacology for Natural Scientists, University Medical School Schleswig Holstein, Kiel, Germany
J Basic Microbiol 49:350-62. 2009..b>Air samples from Headspace Chambers (HSC) were adsorbed daily on Tenax TA tubes and analyzed by thermal desorption gas ..
- The air-conditioning capacity of the human noseSara Naftali
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Ann Biomed Eng 33:545-53. 2005..in three-dimensional models have been developed to study transport patterns in the human nose and its overall air-conditioning capacity...
- Air- and bone-conducted vestibular evoked myogenic potentials (VEMPs) in otosclerosis: recordings before and after stapes surgeryM Trivelli
Area of Otolaryngology, Campus Bio Medico University of Rome, Via Alvaro del Portillo 200, Rome, Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 30:5-10. 2010Aim of the study was to investigate, in a randomized prospective trial, air-conducted vestibular evoked myogenic potentials (AC-VEMPs) and bone-conducted vestibular evoked myogenic potentials (BC-VEMPs) before and after successful ..
- Homing pigeons only navigate in air with intact environmental odours: a test of the olfactory activation hypothesis with GPS data loggersAnna Gagliardo
Department of Biology, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
PLoS ONE 6:e22385. 2011..We transported three groups of pigeons in air-tight containers to release sites 53 and 61 km from home in three different olfactory conditions...
- Metabolic and thyroidal response in air-breathing perch (Anabas testudineus) to water-borne keroseneValsa S Peter
Department of Zoology, Fatima Mata National College, University of Kerala, Kollam 691 001, Kerala, India
Gen Comp Endocrinol 152:198-205. 2007To address the physiological compensatory adaptations in air-breathing fish to a toxicant, we studied the metabolite pattern, serum and liver enzymes and thyroidal response in a tropical air-breathing perch, Anabas testudineus (kept at ..
- Long-term performance of passive materials for removal of ozone from indoor airC J Cros
Department of Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, USA
Indoor Air 22:43-53. 2012..we explore the use of three green building materials and an activated carbon (AC) mat that remove ozone from indoor air. We studied the effects of long-term exposure of these materials to real environments on ozone removal capability ..
- Well-defined critical association concentration and rapid adsorption at the air/water interface of a short amphiphilic polymer, amphipol A8-35: a study by Förster resonance energy transfer and dynamic surface tension measurementsFabrice Giusti
UMR 7099, CNRS Université Paris 7, Institut de Biologie Physico Chimique, 13 rue Pierre et Marie Curie, F 75005 Paris, France
Langmuir 28:10372-80. 2012....
- Ions at the air-water interface: an end to a hundred-year-old mystery?Yan Levin
Instituto de Fisica, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Caixa Postal 15051, CEP 91501 970, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Phys Rev Lett 103:257802. 2009..experiments, nor existing theories are able to provide a fully consistent description of the electrolyte-air interface...
- Thermal analysis and devolatilization kinetics of cotton stalk, sugar cane bagasse and shea meal under nitrogen and air atmospheresS Munir
Energy and Resources Research Institute, School of Process, Environmental and Materials Engineering, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Bioresour Technol 100:1413-8. 2009..1 (SB1), sugarcane bagasse 2 (SB2) and shea meal (SM) have been evaluated under pyrolysis (N(2)) and oxidising (dry air) conditions, using a non-isothermal thermogravimetric method (TGA)...
- Management of inferior breaks in pseudophakic rhegmatogenous retinal detachment with pars plana vitrectomy and airVicente Martinez-Castillo
Vall d Hebron Hospital, Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, Calle Londres No 54, 41B, Barcelona 08036, Spain
Arch Ophthalmol 123:1078-81. 2005To determine the role of pars plana vitrectomy without scleral buckling and air as a tamponade with 24 hours of prone positioning in the management of inferior breaks in primary pseudophakic rhegmatogenous retinal detachment.
- Atomic force microscopy in vitro study of surface roughness and fractal character of a dental restoration composite after air-polishingMarco Salerno
Italian Institute of Technology, Via Morego 30, I 16163 Bolzaneto, Genova, Italy
Biomed Eng Online 9:59. 2010..b>Air-polishing of dental surfaces removes biofilm but can also damage the surface by increasing its roughness...
- Effect of air-drying time of single-application self-etch adhesives on dentin bond strengthYasushi Chiba
Nihon University Graduate School of Dentistry, Department of Operative Dentistry, Tokyo, Japan
Oper Dent 31:233-9. 2006This study examined the effect of air-drying time of adhesives on the dentin bond strength of several single-application self-etch adhesive systems...
- Air enema for intussusception: is predicting the outcome important?P Ramachandran
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Kanchi Kamakoti Child s Trust Hospital, 12 A, Nageswara Road, Nungambakkam, Chennai 600034, India
Pediatr Surg Int 24:311-3. 2008b>Air enema is the treatment of choice for childhood intussusceptions. Although peritonitis is the established contraindication, studies have attempted to identify factors that affect the outcome of air enema...
- Air-exposed keratinocytes exhibited intracellular calcium oscillationMitsuhiro Denda
Shiseido Research Center, Yokohama, Japan
Skin Res Technol 13:195-201. 2007..On partial exposure of cultured human keratinocytes to air, a transient increase of intracellular calcium concentration appeared, followed by a wave-like increase in the ..
- Effect of air-drying on the solvent evaporation, degree of conversion and water sorption/solubility of dental adhesive modelsM Bail
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Dental Materials Area, Piracicaba School of Dentistry, University of Campinas, Piracicaba, SP, Brazil
J Mater Sci Mater Med 23:629-38. 2012..Acetone elimination was measured gravimetrically before and after: a spontaneous evaporation, an application of air-drying at room temperature or application of 40°C air-drying. Protocols were performed from 15 to 60 s...
- Traffic flow in the operating room: an explorative and descriptive study on air quality during orthopedic trauma implant surgeryAnnette Erichsen Andersson
Institute of Health and Care Sciences, Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden
Am J Infect Control 40:750-5. 2012..This study investigated the air quality, expressed as colony-forming units (CFU)/m(3), during orthopedic trauma surgery in a displacement-..
- Possible roles of vacuolar H+-ATPase and mitochondrial function in tolerance to air-drying stress revealed by genome-wide screening of Saccharomyces cerevisiae deletion strainsJun Shima
National Food Research Institute, 2 1 12 Kannondai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8642, Japan
Yeast 25:179-90. 2008Yeasts used in bread making are exposed to air-drying stress during dried yeast production processes...
- Study on the initial velocity distribution of exhaled air from coughing and speakingSoon Bark Kwon
Subway IAQ Research Corps, Korea Railroad Research Institute, Gyeonggi Do, South Korea
Chemosphere 87:1260-4. 2012..07 m/s and 2.31 m/s respectively. The angle of the exhaled air from coughing was around 38° for the males and 32° for the females, while that of the exhaled air from speaking ..
- Air-directed attachment of coccoid bacteria to the surface of superhydrophobic lotus-like titaniumV K Truong
Faculty of Life and Social Sciences, Swinburne University of Technology, PO Box 218, Hawthorn, Victoria, 3122, Australia
Biofouling 28:539-50. 2012..The upper regions of the microscale features remained essentially cell-free. It was hypothesised that air entrapped by the topographical features inhibited contact between the cells and the titanium substratum...
- Hierarchically porous graphene as a lithium-air battery electrodeJie Xiao
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, Washington 99352, United States
Nano Lett 11:5071-8. 2011The lithium-air battery is one of the most promising technologies among various electrochemical energy storage systems...
- Short-term effects of air temperature on blood markers of coagulation and inflammation in potentially susceptible individualsClaudia Luise Schäuble
Institute of Epidemiology II, Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, German Research Center for Environmental Health, Neuherberg, Germany
Occup Environ Med 69:670-8. 2012Changes in air temperature are associated with an increase in cardiovascular events, but the role of procoagulant and proinflammatory blood markers is still poorly understood...
- The ontogeny of metabolic rate and thermoregulatory capabilities of northern fur seal, Callorhinus ursinus, pups in air and waterM J Donohue
Department of Biology, University of California, Santa Cruz, CA 95064, USA
J Exp Biol 203:1003-16. 2000..thermoregulation in northern fur seal, Callorhinus ursinus, pups was investigated at two developmental stages in air and water using open-circuit respirometry...
- Muscle, skin and core temperature after -110°c cold air and 8°c water treatmentJoseph Thomas Costello
Centre for Physical Activity and Health Research, Department of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, University of Limerick, Castletroy, Limerick, Ireland
PLoS ONE 7:e48190. 2012..These data may provide information to clinicians and researchers attempting to optimise WBC and CWI protocols in a clinical or sporting setting...
- Atrophic rhinitis: a CFD study of air conditioning in the nasal cavityGuilherme J M Garcia
The Hamner Institutes for Health Sciences, 6 Davis Dr, P O Box 12137, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
J Appl Physiol 103:1082-92. 2007..Simulations of air conditioning in the atrophic nose were compared with similar computations performed within the nasal geometries of ..
- Comparative study of the pneumatization of the mastoid air cells and paranasal sinuses using three-dimensional reconstruction of computed tomography scansJoohwan Kim
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Uijeongbu St Mary s Hospital, 65 1 Geumo dong, Uijeongbu, Gyeonggi Do, 480 717, Korea
Surg Radiol Anat 32:593-9. 2010The purpose of this study was to investigate the relationship between the pneumatization of mastoid air cells and PNS using three-dimensional (3D) reconstruction of computed tomography (CT) scans of the PNS.
- Trade-off between oxygen and iron acquisition in bacterial cells at the air-liquid interfaceKyosuke Yamamoto
Department of Biotechnology, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, Japan
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 77:83-94. 2011The air-liquid interface is a selectively advantageous niche for aerobes due to the accessibility to oxygen. Various species of aerobes form a biofilm-like structure at air-liquid interfaces, known as a pellicle...
- Water- and air-distributed conidia differ in sterol content and cytoplasmic microviscosityM R Van Leeuwen
Applied and Industrial Mycology, CBS Fungal Biodiversity Centre, Uppsalalaan 8, 3584 CT Utrecht, The Netherlands
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:366-9. 2010..This suggests that the mode of spore dispersal has a bearing on cellular composition, which is relevant for the eradication of industrially relevant fungal propagules...
- Management of alveolar air leaks after pulmonary resectionSunil Singhal
Division of Thoracic Surgery, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 89:1327-35. 2010b>Air leaks are a common problem after pulmonary resection and can be a source of significant morbidity and mortality...
- Development of a versatile, easy and rapid atmospheric monitor for benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xylenes determination in airFrancesc A Esteve-Turrillas
Analytical Chemistry Department, University of Valencia, Edifici Jeroni Muñoz, 50 Dr Moliner, 46100 Burjassot, Valencia, Spain
J Chromatogr A 1216:8549-56. 2009A new procedure for the passive sampling in air of benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xylene isomers (BTEX) is proposed...
- Preparing polymer-based sustained-release systems without exposing proteins to water-oil or water-air interfaces and cross-linking reagentsTuo Jin
Shanghai JiaoTong University School of Pharmacy, China
J Control Release 128:50-9. 2008..a method to load proteins into polymer-based sustained-release systems without exposing them to water-oil or water-air interfaces, factors known to denature proteins...
- Effect of palliative oxygen versus room air in relief of breathlessness in patients with refractory dyspnoea: a double-blind, randomised controlled trialAmy P Abernethy
Department of Medicine, Division of Medical Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Lancet 376:784-93. 2010..We assessed the effectiveness of oxygen compared with room air delivered by nasal cannula for relief of breathlessness in this population of patients.
- Catalytic activity trends of oxygen reduction reaction for nonaqueous Li-air batteriesYi Chun Lu
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
J Am Chem Soc 133:19048-51. 2011..Our findings provide insights into Li(+)-ORR mechanisms in nonaqueous media and design of efficient air electrodes for Li-air battery applications.
- Analysis of bacterial detachment from substratum surfaces by the passage of air-liquid interfacesC Gómez-Suárez
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Groningen, 9713 AV Groningen, The Netherlands
Appl Environ Microbiol 67:2531-7. 2001A theoretical analysis of the detachment of bacteria adhering to substratum surfaces upon the passage of an air-liquid interface is given, together with experimental results for bacterial detachment in the absence and presence of a ..
- Antimicrobial action of essential oil vapours and negative air ions against Pseudomonas fluorescensA K Tyagi
Applied Microbiology Laboratory, Centre for Rural Development and Technology, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, New Delhi 110016, India
Int J Food Microbiol 143:205-10. 2010..was to investigate the antibacterial activity of essential oil (in liquid as well as in vapour phase) and negative air ions (NAI) against Pseudomonas fluorescens...
- Air charged and microtip catheters cannot be used interchangeably for urethral pressure measurement: a prospective, single-blind, randomized trialPascal Zehnder
Department of Urology, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
J Urol 180:1013-7. 2008We determined and compared urethral pressure measurements using air charged and microtip catheters in a prospective, single-blind, randomized trial.
- Ultimate detectability of volatile organic compounds: how much further can we reduce their ambient air sample volumes for analysis?Yong Hyun Kim
Department of Environment and Energy, Sejong University, Seoul, Korea
Anal Chem 84:8284-93. 2012To understand the ultimately lowest detection range of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in air, application of a high sensitivity analytical system was investigated by coupling thermal desorption (TD) technique with gas chromatography (..
- Characterization of the chronic risk and hazard of hazardous air pollutants in the United States using ambient monitoring dataMichael C McCarthy
Sonoma Technology, Inc, Petaluma, California 94954 6503, USA
Environ Health Perspect 117:790-6. 2009Ambient measurements of hazardous air pollutants (air toxics) have been used to validate model-predicted concentrations of air toxics but have not been used to perform risk screening at the national level.
- Patient-controlled room air insufflation versus automated carbon dioxide delivery for CT colonographyTheodore J Shinners
Department of Radiology, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Clinical Science Center, 600 Highland Ave, Madison, WI 53792, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 186:1491-6. 2006Our objective was to prospectively compare colonic distention and patient comfort at screening CT colonography (CTC) with patient-controlled room air (RA) insufflation versus automated carbon dioxide (CO2) delivery.
- Report of AAPM Therapy Physics Committee Task Group 74: in-air output ratio, Sc, for megavoltage photon beamsTimothy C Zhu
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Med Phys 36:5261-91. 2009The concept of in-air output ratio (Sc) was introduced to characterize how the incident photon fluence per monitor unit (or unit time for a Co-60 unit) varies with collimator settings...
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in indoor air and dust in Kuwait: implications for sources and nondietary human exposureBondi Gevao
Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research, P O Box 24885, 13109 Safat, Kuwait
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 53:503-12. 2007This study reports concentration of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in indoor air and dust samples collected from 24 homes in Kuwait. Mean SigmaPAHs in indoor air ranged from 1.3 to 16 ng/m(3) with a geometric mean of 5...
- Secondary angle closure caused by air migrating behind the pupil in descemet stripping endothelial keratoplastyJung S Lee
From the Cornea, Cataract, and External Disease Service, The Wilmer Eye Institute, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Cornea 28:652-6. 2009To report secondary angle closure caused by air migrating behind the pupil in the context of intraocular pressure (IOP) elevation in the early postoperative period after Descemet stripping endothelial keratoplasty (DSEK).
- Effect of an acidifying diet combined with zeolite and slight protein reduction on air emissions from laying hens of different agesW Wu-Haan
Iowa State University, Ames 50011, USA
Poult Sci 86:182-90. 2007..01) on NO emissions was observed. No diet or age effects (P > 0.05) were observed for NO(2) or non-CH(4) total hydrocarbons. Results demonstrated that diet and layer age influence air emissions from poultry operations.
- Air trapping on chest CT is associated with worse ventilation distribution in infants with cystic fibrosis diagnosed following newborn screeningGraham L Hall
Respiratory Medicine, Princess Margaret Hospital for Children, Perth, Australia
PLoS ONE 6:e23932. 2011..The primary objective of this analysis was to determine the relationships between ventilation distribution outcomes and the presence and extent of structural damage as assessed by chest CT in infants and young children with CF...
- Molecular dynamics simulations of atmospheric oxidants at the air-water interface: solvation and accommodation of OH and O3John Vieceli
Environmental Molecular Science Institute and Department of Chemistry, University of California, Irvine, California 92697 2025, USA
J Phys Chem B 109:15876-92. 2005..The implications of these results with respect to atmospheric chemistry are discussed...
- Infant air and bone conduction tone burst auditory brain stem responses for classification of hearing loss and the relationship to behavioral thresholdsKathy R Vander Werff
Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York 13244, USA
Ear Hear 30:350-68. 2009..providing normative data for (1) frequency-specific tone burst auditory brain stem response (TBABR) thresholds by air conduction (AC) and bone conduction (BC) in early infancy used to classify type and severity of HL, (2) ear-..
- Arsenic exposure within the Korean community (United States) based on dietary behavior and arsenic levels in hair, urine, air, and waterBill Cleland
Office of Environmental Health Assessments, Washington State Department of Health, Olympia, Washington 98504, USA
Environ Health Perspect 117:632-8. 2009..Determining arsenic exposure in groups based on geographic location, dietary behaviors, or lifestyles is important, as even moderate exposures may lead to health concerns...
- Peritoneal inflammatory response of natural orifice translumenal endoscopic surgery (NOTES) versus laparoscopy with carbon dioxide and air pneumoperitoneumJoseph A Trunzo
Department of Surgery, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, 11100 Euclid Avenue, Lakeside Building 7th Floor, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Surg Endosc 24:1727-36. 2010..The local peritoneal reaction and immunomodulatory influence of pneumoperitoneum agents in NOTES also are not known and may play an important role in altering the physiologic insult induced by NOTES...
- Air-drying time of self-etching adhesives vs bonding efficacyThomas Jacobsen
J Adhes Dent 8:387-92. 2006..This study tested the effect of different drying times on the efficacy of bond for five self-etching adhesives...
- Circulatory recovery is as fast with air ventilation as with 100% oxygen after asphyxia-induced cardiac arrest in pigletsRickard Linner
Department of Cardiothoracic Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Pediatr Res 66:391-4. 2009..spontaneous circulation and of cerebral oxygenation after asphyxia-induced cardiac arrest, using ventilation with air, throughout, or with 100% oxygen for a shorter or longer period...
- Normative data for P1/N1-latencies of vestibular evoked myogenic potentials induced by air- or bone-conducted tone burstsDietmar Basta
Department of Otolaryngology at UKB, Hospital of the University of Berlin, Charite Medical School, Warener Str 7, 12683 Berlin, Germany
Clin Neurophysiol 116:2216-9. 2005..The aim of the present paper was to describe normative data for tone-burst evoked VEMPs...
- Clinical effects of purified air administered to the breathing zone in allergic asthma: A double-blind randomized cross-over trialC Pedroletti
Department of Women and Child Health, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Respir Med 103:1313-9. 2009Exposure to inhaled allergens is a pathogenetic factor in allergic asthma. However, most studies that previously looked at air cleaning devices have shown little or no effect on patients with perennial allergic asthma.
- Gasification of biodiesel by-product with air or oxygen to make syngasSang Jun Yoon
Climate Change Technology Research Division, Korea Institute of Energy Research, 71 2 Jang dong, Yuseong Gu, Daejeon 305 343, Republic of Korea
Bioresour Technol 101:1227-32. 2010..Gasification was conducted in a temperature range of 950-1500 degrees C and excess air ratio of 0.17-0.7 for air or oxygen as a gasification agent...
- Do airway epithelium air-liquid cultures represent the in vivo airway epithelium transcriptome?Anna Dvorak
Department of Genetic Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY 10065, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 44:465-73. 2011Human airway epithelial cells cultured in vitro at the air-liquid interface (ALI) form a pseudostratified epithelium that forms tight junctions and cilia, and produces mucin...
- Semivolatile endocrine-disrupting compounds in paired indoor and outdoor air in two northern California communitiesRuthann A Rudel
Silent Spring Institute, 29 Crafts Street, Newton, Massachusetts 02458, USA
Environ Sci Technol 44:6583-90. 2010..We collected paired indoor and outdoor air samples in 40 nonsmoking homes in urban, industrial Richmond, CA, and 10 in rural Bolinas, CA...
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2013..Title: Rituximab for Autoimmune Retinopathy Number: 10-EI-0040 Summary: Background: - Autoimmune retinopathy (AIR) is an inflammatory condition in which the patient's own immune system is attacking his or her eyes and ..
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2012..Title: Rituximab for Autoimmune Retinopathy Number: 10-EI-0040 Summary: Background: - Autoimmune retinopathy (AIR) is an inflammatory condition in which the patient's own immune system is attacking his or her eyes and ..
- SUPPORT CONTRACT FOR THE NTP INTERAGENCY CENTER/VALIDATION OF ALT METHODSDavid Allen; Fiscal Year: 2011..consumer products, medicines, medical devices, workplace chemicals, food additives, or to contaminants in air, food, or water...
- SUPPORT CONTRACT FOR THE NTP INTERAGENCY CENTER/VALIDATION OF ALT METHODSDavid Allen; Fiscal Year: 2012..consumer products, medicines, medical devices, workplace chemicals, food additives, or to contaminants in air, food, or water...
- Air Pollution on Adiposity and Vascular Dysfunction: White or Brown Matters?Qinghua Sun; Fiscal Year: 2013..Environmental factors are increasingly found to be associated with the development of obesity. To investigate if air pollution exposure contributes to adiposity and inflammation in adipose tissues that induces insulin resistance and ..
- The influence of air pollution mixtures on biomarkers of airway oxidative stressRoby Greenwald; Fiscal Year: 2013..Roby Greenwald, are to examine the respiratory response to inhaled oxidants, specifically, the influence of air pollution mixtures on markers of airway inflammation and oxidative stress...
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and birth outcomes in Mexico CityMARIE SYLVIA O'NEILL; Fiscal Year: 2013..Although multiple factors influence birth weight and size, air pollution exposure during pregnancy has been recently explored as a contributor...
- Integrated Microfluidic Platform for Point-of-Care SerodiagnosticsXiaowu Liang; Fiscal Year: 2013..by applicant): We aim to develop a fully integrated microfluidic immunodiagnostic platform utilizing a novel air-liquid cavity acoustic transducer (ALCAT) technology pioneered in the lab of Dr Abe Lee...
- SUPPORT CONTRACT FOR THE NTP INTERAGENCY CENTER/VALIDATION OF ALT METHODSDavid Allen; Fiscal Year: 2009..consumer products, medicines, medical devices, workplace chemicals, food additives, or to contaminants in air, food, or water...
- Tobacco Control Research Branch Scientific and Technical Services SupportKOURTNEY MARSHALL; Fiscal Year: 2009..of prevention and treatment interventions; 4) Tobacco policies, including taxation and pricing, clean indoor air policies, advertising and marketing restrictions, youth access restrictions and tobacco product and nicotine ..
- Ubiquitous pollutant acrolein inhibits IFN?? antiviral signaling: relevance to HCSwati Joshi-Barve; Fiscal Year: 2013..S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a high priority air and water pollutant...
- Regulation of Innate and Adaptive Immunity in Human COPD and EmphysemaFarrah Kheradmand; Fiscal Year: 2012..COPD is characterized by destruction of lung matrix, especially elastin, resulting in loss of elastic recoil, air trapping and lung hyperinflation...
- Air Pollution on Adiposity and Vascular Dysfunction: White or Brown Matters?Qinghua Sun; Fiscal Year: 2010..Environmental factors are increasingly found to be associated with the development of obesity. To investigate if air pollution exposure contributes to adiposity and inflammation in adipose tissues that induces macro- and ..
- Human middle-ear imaging, physiology, and biomechanicsCHARLES RICHARD STEELE; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specific Aim #4: Our hypothesis that myringoplasty and tympanoplasty surgery patients continue to have air-bone gap deficits at frequencies above 4 kHz will be tested...
- Endotoxin, the airway transcriptome, and obstructive lung diseasePEGGY SUE LAI; Fiscal Year: 2013..fuel, in the context of various occupations especially cotton textile work, and more recently as part of indoor air pollution in schools...
- Role of Retroelements in Environmental AtherogenesisKenneth S Ramos; Fiscal Year: 2010..Chronic exposures to air particulates and chemicals associated with particulate matter, such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, have been ..
- Targeting AP-1 proteins in COPDSEKHAR M POTHIREDDY; Fiscal Year: 2010..disruption of the c-Jun/AP-1 transcription factor in type II epithelial cells causes enlargement of the alveolar air spaces and lung inflammation, which are cardinal features of emphysema...
- Developing Physics-Based Virtual Simulation Technology for Natural Orifice TranslDANIEL BOUGERE JONES; Fiscal Year: 2013..pressure inside the abdomen does not rise to dangerous levels or there is no leakage into the GI tract when gas (air or CO2) is pumped into the body cavity (this is known as pneumoperitoneum and is achieved through a process known ..
- Robust Peptide-Based Diagnostics of Botulinum ToxinsJohn E Mueller; Fiscal Year: 2012..Owing to their high toxicity and to the ease of their production and potential dissemination into air, water, and food supply, the BoNTs are considered among the preeminent bioterrorism threats...
- Mechanisms of Angiogenesis in Retinopathy of PrematurityMary Elizabeth Hartnett; Fiscal Year: 2009..we will use the 50/10 OIR rescued in supplemental oxygen compared to the standard 50/10 OIR rescued in room air. Methods include: confocal microscopy of retinal flat mounts to visualize endothelial cells at the junction of ..
- Mechanisms of Angiogenesis of Retinopathy of PrematurityMARY ELIZABETH RUTH HARTNETT; Fiscal Year: 2013..we will also use the 50/10 OIR model rescued in hyperoxia compared to the standard 50/10 OIR model rescued in room air. Methods include: confocal microscopy of retinal flat mounts to visualize endothelial cells at the junction of ..
- Effectivenss of a New Non-Invasive Erectile Support System in Aging PopulationsS ALEXANDER WEINSTOCK; Fiscal Year: 2012..and severe erectile dysfunction, will participate in 250 at-home clinical trials using a new, non-invasive', air-infused', erectile support system, able to be used throughout intercourse and designed, using scaled-down ..
- Immune modulators of inflammation in servere COPDFarrah Kheradmand; Fiscal Year: 2010..of lung matrix, especially elastin, resulting in loss of elastic recoil, dynamic airway collapse during exhalation, air trapping and lung hyperinflation...
- Pulmonary effects of biomass fuel indoor PM from rural IndiaShyam Biswal; Fiscal Year: 2013..Ambient air particulate matter (PM) is well studied and linked to increased pulmonary oxidative stress and inflammation and ..
- Molecular Mechanism of Acrolein-Induced Vascular Toxicity: Role of PPAR gamma andZivar Yousefipour; Fiscal Year: 2013..Acrolein a major environmental pollutant classified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a high-priority air/water toxic and an endogenous peroxidation product has been linked to impaired vascular reactivity, leading to ..
- Safety signal learning in Rhesus monkeys following early life stressChallenge ArMICHAEL NMN DAVIS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Three cues are used in the form AX+/BX-, where cues A and X in compound (e.g. a light and air blowing from a quiet fan) are paired with an aversive event (+), and a new cue B (e.g...
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S STUDY - CACHE COUNTY STUDY CENTEREdward Clark; Fiscal Year: 2012..Anticipated environmental samples include air, dust, soil, food, and water ...
- Human developmental toxicity of metal mixture exposure from e-waste recyclingAimin Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..The applicants will assess the environmental (air, dust, soil) and biological (maternal blood, urine, hair, cord blood) exposure markers of e-waste metal mixtures (..
- Climate Change and Adverse Birth Outcomes: Assessing the Vulnerability of PregnanShao Lin; Fiscal Year: 2013..To assess acclimatization and potential modification by air pollution, we will examine geographic variation and interactive effects of air pollution on the associations tested...
- Development of Montelukast Delivery System for Childhood AsthmaJe Phil Ryoo; Fiscal Year: 2013..and prevent many types of asthmatic responses, including allergen-induced, exercise- induced, cold-air-hyperventilation-induced, and aspirin-induced asthma (Wright et al 1998)...
- Masked Hypertension in Chronic Kidney DiseaseRajiv Agarwal; Fiscal Year: 2013..Body composition will be measured by the gold-standard measurement of air-displacement plethysmography (Bod Pod). Activity will be measured by 7-day wrist accelerometer...
- Chronic Granulomatous Lung Inflammation Elicited by Carbon NanotubesMary Jane Thomassen; Fiscal Year: 2013..stoves, fireplaces, and firefighting - conditions that might favor carbon nanotube formation in ambient air. Investigation of putative nanotube environmental factors linked to sarcoidosis has not been done using animal ..
- Air Toxics, Neighborhood Environment and Risk of Oral CleftsPhilip J Lupo; Fiscal Year: 2013..An important group of toxicants, as defined by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), are hazardous air pollutants, or HAPs (e.g., benzene, diesel particulate matter)...
- Mechanisms for Cardiovascular Effects of air pollutants: Effect of Age and SexBRITT HOLMEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Since the 1970's, adverse health effects have been reported at unexpectedly low levels of particulate air pollution, leading scientists and public health officials to conclude that long-term exposure to combustion-related ..
- Right Heart-Pulmonary Vascular Interactions in Bronchopulmonary DysplasiaMarlowe Eldridge; Fiscal Year: 2013..injuries impair the growth and development of the airways and pulmonary vasculature, leading to a decrease in the air exchanging units of the lung and fewer blood vessels that can participate in exchanging CO2 and O2...
- Chromosomal Control of Segregation of C. ElegansAbby F Dernburg; Fiscal Year: 2013..mechanisms, we will build on the knowledge that three conserved serine/threonine kinases, CHK-2, PLK-2, and AIR-2, play essential regulatory roles in meiosis...
- Interactions of Diesel Exhaust and Respiratory Viruses in Asthmatic ChildrenToby C Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Traffic-associated air pollution and respiratory viral infections (URIs) are well-documented, independent stimulants of asthma symptoms, and both are associated with significant asthma morbidity...
- Cellular interactions in asthmaCHRISTOPHER DAVID CABALLERO ALLEN; Fiscal Year: 2012..that causes constriction of the airways in response to triggers such as pollen, mold, viral infection, or even cold air. In severe cases, the obstruction f the airways in asthma can be fatal...
- Endothelial Progenitor Cells and Particulate Air PollutionArden Pope; Fiscal Year: 2013..provided by applicant): Multiple epidemiological and experimental studies report that acute or chronic exposure to air pollution is associated with adverse cardiovascular events including myocardial ischemia, stroke, arrhythmias, ..
- TRANSFORMING GROWTH FACTOR - BETA MEDIATES EFFECTS OF HYPOXIA IN NEWBORN LUNGNamasivayam Ambalavanan; Fiscal Year: 2012..A vertically-integrated approach, with in vivo models (newborn mice exposed to hypoxia or air for 2 weeks from birth) and in vitro models (neonatal murine pulmonary arterial smooth muscle cells and fibroblasts)..
- Air Pollution, Inflammation and Preterm Birth: A Mechanistic Study in Mexico CityMARIE SYLVIA O'NEILL; Fiscal Year: 2012..A recent Institute of Medicine Report notes that air pollution exposure may be a significant cause of prematurity, but most published studies are based on population ..
- Gene expression responses to air pollution and modification by genetic variationSharine Wittkopp; Fiscal Year: 2013..Epidemiological studies have shown that exposure to ambient particulate matter (PM) air pollution is associated with increases in cardiovascular morbidity and mortality...
- ACTIVATED MACROPHAGES AND OZONE TOXICITYDEBRA LYNN LASKIN; Fiscal Year: 2012Ozone is a ubiquitous urban air pollutant known to damage the lung and compromise respiratory function...
- Extending Sleep in Obese Adults to Promote Weight LossAnn E Rogers; Fiscal Year: 2010..lifestyles, and changes in food manufacturing and marketing practices, the increased use of central heating and air conditioning, increasing gravid age, decreased smoking rates, and decreased sleep durations...
- Translational Approaches to Reducing Health Disparities in Lung DiseaseJoe G N Garcia; Fiscal Year: 2012..For instance, disproportionately higher number of African Americans and Hispanics are likely to be exposed to air pollutants compared to Caucasians that is one of the major factors that contribute to the health disparities seen ..
- Mechanisms and consequences of sleep disordered breathing in COPDCynthia D Brown; Fiscal Year: 2012..NNI delivers heated and humidified air at high flow rates to generate small degrees of positive nasal pressure...
- Structural Studies of RNA Maturation and ProcessingChristopher D Lima; Fiscal Year: 2013..purifying, and reconstituting complexes that contain the Mtr4 RNA helicase, the Trf poly(A) polymerases and the Air RNA binding proteins...
- Immunobiology of Acute Environmental AsthmaDavid B Peden; Fiscal Year: 2013..Epidemiological studies have clearly shown that asthma exacerbation linked to air pollutants is a major cause of asthma exacerbation...
- ENHANCEMENT OF CORONARY CONSTRICTION BY COMBUSTION-SOURCE AIR TOXICSMatthew J Campen; Fiscal Year: 2012b>Air pollution is positively associated with an increased daily incidence of myocardial infarction and cardiovascular mortality...
- FASEB SRC on Yeast Chromosome Structure, Replication and SegregationScott Keeney; Fiscal Year: 2012..Environmental agents - including manmade air- and water-borne pollutants, electromagnetic radiation, and nicotine and other natural products - can have profound ..
- For Hearing Component in the Hispanic Community Health Study (HCHS)Lisa Lavange; Fiscal Year: 2009..The hearing examination will include otoscopy, acoustic immittance and both air-conduction and bone-conduction pure tone audiometry...
- Environment, Novel Aging Outcomes, and GeneticsSung Kyun Park; Fiscal Year: 2013..The scientific goals of this project are to understand how long term environmental exposures to lead and air pollution affect age-related pathological changes, namely, depressed cardiac function, and two novel outcomes that ..
- PROJECTED HEAT WAVE MAGNITUDES AND PUBLIC HEALTH IMPACTSHelene G Margolis; Fiscal Year: 2010..g., heat, air pollution, and co- morbidity), rather than only examine risk in the context of single (or limited number) exposure-..
- Bangladesh Centre for Global Environmental and Occupational HealthDewan Shamsul Alam; Fiscal Year: 2013..e., water pollution, climate change, and air pollution), which are escalating as public health priorities in the country...
- Ionic Liquid Gas Sensors for Detection of Flammable Gases In WorkplaceXiangqun Zeng; Fiscal Year: 2010..Three things are needed to support a fire or explosion: a source of fuel (e.g. flammable gas or vapor), air (oxygen) and a source of ignition (e.g. spark, open flame, or high temperature surface)...
- Modulation of Neonatal Hyperoxic Lung Injury by the Aryl Hydrocarbon ReceptorBinoy Shivanna; Fiscal Year: 2013..The lungs of the air- or hyperoxia-exposed newborn WT and AhR-null mice treated with PPIs will be assessed for AhR activation, ..
- Enforcing Underage Drinking Laws (EUDL)Christopher Spera; Fiscal Year: 2009..b>Air Force leadership, for example, acknowledges the health and safety consequences of alcohol abuse among its personnel ..
- Traffic-Related Air Pollution and Ultrasound Measures of Fetal GrowthMICHELLE WILHELM TURNER; Fiscal Year: 2010..the growing literature reporting increased risks of adverse birth outcomes for women highly exposed to outdoor air pollution during pregnancy, the most important questions remain unanswered;specifically, what are the relevant ..
- A geostatistical framework for the multi-scale boundary analysis of space-time trPIERRE E GOOVAERTS; Fiscal Year: 2013..g. mammography clinics), socio-economic status, air pollution, and individual-level factors (e.g. smoking, health insurance, age)...
- Ethical and Legal Challenges in Communicating Individual Biomonitoring and PersonRachel Morello-Frosch; Fiscal Year: 2013..of human blood, urine, breast milk, and other tissues, and to sampling in personal spaces, such as testing dust and air in homes...
- Plasmodium Genus and P. falciparum - P. vivax FISH AssaysJyotsna Shah; Fiscal Year: 2009..P-Genus FISH) assay targeted to ribosomal RNA (rRNA) is a method that detects all the species of malaria on an air-dried blood smear. PFV-FISH assay is a dual probe assay for detecting and differentiating P. falciparum (PF) and P...
- Prenatal Exposures & Procarcinogenic MutationsManuela Orjuela; Fiscal Year: 2007..Prenatal exposures have been assessed by questionnaires, air monitoring, and biomarkers...
- MECHANISMS OF AIRFLOW OBSTRUCTIONJulian Solway; Fiscal Year: 1992..heat and/or water loss to the degree of bronchoconstriction induced in asthmatics by isocapnic hyperpnea of dry air. While these have provided insight into the precipitation of airways response, the detailed sequence of events ..
- Improving Air Quality for Laboratory Animal ResearchSharron S Quisenberry; Fiscal Year: 2010..State University proposes to bring up to accreditation standards the under-designed HVAC (heating, ventilating and air conditioning) system in 12,697 net square feet (21,162 gross square feet) of the unit called the "Central Facility...
- Novel Nitrogen Enriched Air for Fire SuppressionDONALD STOOKEY; Fiscal Year: 2009..new platform technology for fire suppression and fire prevention systems around membrane supplied nitrogen enriched air (NEA)...
- Childhood Leukemia and Home Environmental ExposuresPatricia A Buffler; Fiscal Year: 2010..Here, we propose a validation/reproducibility study in which we will collect repeated air and dust samples in 250 households selected from a large case-control study of childhood leukemia, namely, the ..
- Air Pollution and Adverse Birth OutcomesBeate Ritz; Fiscal Year: 2004..is one of the human growth periods most vulnerable to toxins, epidemiologic data concerning the effects of ambient air pollution exposures during this period are limited...
- Tracking Air Pollutants and Newborn Health in Houston, TexasElaine Symanski; Fiscal Year: 2011..The Greater Houston area (Harris County, Texas) provides a unique multi-ethnic study area to evaluate effects of air pollution on newborn health and resulting health disparities among racial/ethnic groups...
- IMMUNOCHEMICAL ASSAY OF AEROALLERGENSCharles Reed; Fiscal Year: 1991..Techniques for quantitative air sampling, particle sizing, and immunochemical assay of amorphous allergens now exist...
- AIR CONDITIONING BY THE TRACHEA--STIMULI AND MECHANISMSMark Deffebach; Fiscal Year: 1993Exercise and hyperventilation with cold dry air (CDA) are important triggers of an asthmatic attack that affects 80% of asthmatics. Bronchoconstriction is also seen after CDA hyperventilation in normal subjects and experimental animals...
- LUNG SURFACE ANTIOXIDANT DEFENSES AGAINST AIR POLLUTANTSCARROLL CROSS; Fiscal Year: 2000..Adapted from the applicant's abstract): The respiratory tract is commonly exposed to a variety of oxidizing air pollutants, such as ozone, nitrogen dioxide or cigarette smoke, which can induce inflammatory responses in the ..
- Health, Pollution & Economic Development in South DurbanStuart Batterman; Fiscal Year: 2004..Earlier studies indicate high levels of respiratory disease among children in the area and strong evidence that air pollutants are associated with acute changes in health status for children with moderate to severe asthma...