Genomes and Genes
Summary: The application of heat to raise the temperature of the environment, ambient or local, or the systems for accomplishing this effect. It is distinguished from HEAT, the physical property and principle of physics.
Publications304 found, 100 shown here
- Isothermal amplification using a chemical heating device for point-of-care detection of HIV-1Kelly A Curtis
Laboratory Branch, Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV AIDS, Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e31432. 2012..loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), exhibit characteristics that are ideal for POC settings, since they are typically quicker, easier to perform, and allow for integration into low-tech, portable heating devices.
- Remote control of ion channels and neurons through magnetic-field heating of nanoparticlesHeng Huang
Department of Physics, University at Buffalo, The State University of New York, Buffalo, New York 14260, USA
Nat Nanotechnol 5:602-6. 2010..Here, we show an approach based on radio-frequency magnetic-field heating of nanoparticles to remotely activate temperature-sensitive cation channels in cells...
- Indoor air pollution in developing countries: a major environmental and public health challengeN Bruce
Department of Public Health, University of Liverpool, England
Bull World Health Organ 78:1078-92. 2000..A more systematic approach to the development and evaluation of interventions is desirable, with clearer recognition of the interrelationships between poverty and dependence on polluting fuels...
- DNA extraction from archival formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue sections based on the antigen retrieval principle: heating under the influence of pHShan Rong Shi
Department of Pathology, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 50:1005-11. 2002..On the basis of observations that heating may also enhance in situ hybridization (ISH) and the similarity of formalin-induced chemical modifications that ..
- Indoor air pollution from biomass combustion and acute respiratory infections in Kenya: an exposure-response studyM Ezzati
Center for Risk Management, Resources for the Future, Washington, DC, USA
Lancet 358:619-24. 2001....
- Clinical applications of magnetic nanoparticles for hyperthermiaBurghard Thiesen
MagForce Nanotechnologies AG, Berlin, Germany
Int J Hyperthermia 24:467-74. 2008..treatment for several decades comprises the injection of magnetic nanoparticles into tumors and their subsequent heating in an alternating magnetic field...
- Total recovery of nitrogen and phosphorus from three wetland plants by fast pyrolysis technologyWu Jun Liu
Department of Chemistry, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, PR China
Bioresour Technol 102:3471-9. 2011..A series of leaching tests were carried out to examine the recovery of the nitrogen and phosphorus in the char, and the results indicate that significant fractions of nitrogen and phosphorus could be recovered by leaching process...
- Air pollution and lung cancer risks in China--a meta-analysisYu Zhao
Department of Environmental Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, PR China
Sci Total Environ 366:500-13. 2006..For domestic coal use for heating and cooking, the pooled OR values are 1.83 (95% CI: 0.62-5.41) and 2.66 (1.39-5...
- A self-heating cartridge for molecular diagnosticsChangchun Liu
Department of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics, University of Pennsylvania, 229 PhiladelphiaTowne, Building 220 South 33rd St, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6315, USA
Lab Chip 11:2686-92. 2011A disposable, water-activated, self-heating, easy-to-use, polymeric cartridge for isothermal nucleic acid amplification and visual fluorescent detection of the amplification products is described...
- Migration of bisphenol A from can coatings--effects of damage, storage conditions and heatingA Goodson
Pira International, Leatherhead, Surrey, KT22 7RU, UK
Food Addit Contam 21:1015-26. 2004..also conducted to investigate the potential effects, on the migration of BPA from can coatings, of cooking or heating foods in the can prior to consumption. Food cans were purchased and the food either cooked or heated in the can...
- Heating decreases epithiospecifier protein activity and increases sulforaphane formation in broccoliNathan V Matusheski
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, University of Illinois, 499 Bevier Hall, 905 South Goodwin Avenue, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Phytochemistry 65:1273-81. 2004..Our objectives were to examine the effects of heating broccoli florets and sprouts on sulforaphane and sulforaphane nitrile formation, to determine if broccoli ..
- Magnetic fields generated by an induction heating (IH) cook top do not cause genotoxicity in vitroJunji Miyakoshi
Department of Radiological Technology, School of Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Hirosaki University, Hirosaki, Japan
Bioelectromagnetics 28:529-37. 2007..However, the possibility of effects on other cellular functions remains, and further studies on the cellular effects of IF magnetic fields are required...
- Home warmth and health status of COPD patientsLiesl M Osman
Department of Environmental and Occupational Medicine, University of Aberdeen, Liberty Safe Work Research Centre, Foresterhill Road, Aberdeen, AB252ZP, UK
Eur J Public Health 18:399-405. 2008..Is health status of patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) associated with maintaining this level of warmth in their homes?..
- Environmental tobacco smoke, woodstove heating and risk of asthma symptomsCurtis W Noonan
Center for Environmental Health Sciences, The University of Montana, Missoula, Montana 59812, USA
J Asthma 44:735-8. 2007The effect of common indoor combustion heating sources on childhood asthma is not well described...
- Effects of improved home heating on asthma in community dwelling children: randomised controlled trialPhilippa Howden-Chapman
He Kainga Oranga Housing and Health Research Programme, University of Otago, Wellington, PO 7343, Wellington South, New Zealand
BMJ 337:a1411. 2008To assess whether non-polluting, more effective home heating (heat pump, wood pellet burner, flued gas) has a positive effect on the health of children with asthma.
- Non-instrumented nucleic acid amplification (NINA): instrument-free molecular malaria diagnostics for low-resource settingsPaul LaBarre
PATH, Seattle, WA, USA
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2010:1097-9. 2010....
- Intermediate frequency magnetic fields generated by an induction heating (IH) cooktop do not affect genotoxicities and expression of heat shock proteinsTomonori Sakurai
Department of Radiological Life Sciences, Division of Medical Life Sciences, Graduate School of Health Sciences, Hirosaki University, Hirosaki, Japan
Int J Radiat Biol 85:883-90. 2009The aim of this study is to evaluate the effects of intermediate frequency (IF) fields generated by induction heating (IH) cooktops from the perspective of cellular genotoxicity and stress responses.
- Nd(3+)-sensitized upconversion nanophosphors: efficient in vivo bioimaging probes with minimized heating effectYe Fu Wang
Beijing National Laboratory for Molecular Sciences, State Key Laboratory of Rare Earth Materials Chemistry and Applications and PKU HKU Joint Laboratory in Rare Earth Materials and Bioinorganic Chemistry, College of Chemistry and Molecular Engineering, Peking University, Beijing 100871, China
ACS Nano 7:7200-6. 2013..The efficacy of this Nd(3+)-sensitized UC process is demonstrated in in vivo imaging, and the results confirmed that the laser-induced local overheating effect is greatly minimized...
- Study of the effect of the strategy of heating on the mudejar church of Santa Maria in Ateca (Spain) for preventive conservation of the altarpiece surroundingsFernando Juan García-Diego
Departamento de Física Aplicada U D Industriales, Universitat Politècnica de València, Av De Los Naranjos s n, Valencia 46022, Spain
Sensors (Basel) 13:11407-23. 2013..paper we are interested in analysing the effect of temperature and relative humidity (RH) changes produced by the heating system on the altarpiece...
- Epidemiology of minor and moderate burns in rural Ardabil, IranHomayoun Sadeghi-bazargani
RDCC and Soc Med Dep, Tabriz University Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Burns 36:933-7. 2010..2%, pots in 13.6% and samovars in 7.9%. Samovars, gas stoves, valors and picnic gas stoves were the primary heating devices involved in burns...
- Household coal use and lung cancer: systematic review and meta-analysis of case-control studies, with an emphasis on geographic variationH Dean Hosgood
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD, USA
Int J Epidemiol 40:719-28. 2011Emissions from household coal combustion associated with cooking and heating are an important public health issue, particularly in China where hundreds of millions of people are exposed...
- Indoor air pollution from solid fuel use, chronic lung diseases and lung cancer in Harbin, Northeast ChinaCarlotta Galeone
Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri, 19 20156 Milan, Italy
Eur J Cancer Prev 17:473-8. 2008..We calculated an index of IAP from solid fuel use exposure using data on heating type, cooking fuel used, and house measurements...
- Randomized controlled trial of unflued gas heater replacement on respiratory health of asthmatic schoolchildrenLouis S Pilotto
Department of General Practice and Flinders Centre for Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Flinders University of South Australia, Australia
Int J Epidemiol 33:208-14. 2004..Previous studies do not provide a clear picture of the relationship between nitrogen dioxide (NO(2)) exposure and asthma...
- Heterogenous catalysis mediated by plasmon heatingJames R Adleman
Division of Engineering and Applied Science, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California 91125, USA
Nano Lett 9:4417-23. 2009..Plasmon heating of the nanoparticles provides not only the heat of reaction but the means to generate both water and ethanol ..
- HSP70 kinetics study by continuous observation of HSP-GFP fusion protein expression on a perfusion heating stageSihong Wang
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 99:146-54. 2008..kinetics were visualized continuously in cultured bovine aortic endothelial cells (BAECs) on a microscope heating stage using green fluorescent protein (GFP) as a reporter...
- Increased risk of allergy associated with the use of kerosene fuel in the homeA J Venn
Division of Respiratory Medicine, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 164:1660-4. 2001..Our findings suggest that domestic combustion of refined fossil fuels increases the risk of allergic sensitization and symptoms, and may have contributed to the increasing prevalence of allergic disease...
- In-home coal and wood use and lung cancer risk: a pooled analysis of the International Lung Cancer ConsortiumH Dean Hosgood
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 7240, USA
Environ Health Perspect 118:1743-7. 2010Domestic fuel combustion from cooking and heating is an important public health issue because roughly 3 billion people are exposed worldwide...
- Reversing the effects of formalin fixation with citraconic anhydride and heat: a universal antigen retrieval methodShigeki Namimatsu
Department of Surgical Pathology, Nippon Medical School Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
J Histochem Cytochem 53:3-11. 2005..of formalin fixation were reversed with citraconic anhydride (a reversible protein cross-linking agent) plus heating. Formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissues from various organs were examined for immunohistochemical localization ..
- Carbon nanotube based biomedical agents for heating, temperature sensoring and drug deliveryRüdiger Klingeler
Leibniz Institute for Solid State and Materials Research IFW Dresden, Germany
Int J Hyperthermia 24:496-505. 2008..physical and chemical properties carbon nanotubes reveal promising potential as biomedical agents for heating, temperature sensoring and drug delivery on the cellular level...
- Risk of lung cancer from residential heating and cooking fuels in Montreal, CanadaAgnihotram V Ramanakumar
CHUM Research Centre, University of Montreal, 3875 St Urbain 312, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Epidemiol 165:634-42. 2007Among the major sources of indoor air pollution are combustion by-products from heating and cooking. Concern is increasing that use of polluting heating and cooking sources can increase cancer risk...
- The relationship between atopic dermatitis and indoor environmental factors: a cross-sectional study among Japanese elementary school childrenShigekazu Ukawa
Department of Public Health Science, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Hokkaido, Sapporo, Japan
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 86:777-87. 2013..This study aimed to determine that home environmental factors were associated with atopic dermatitis in Japanese elementary school children...
- Rapid motion correction in MR-guided high-intensity focused ultrasound heating using real-time ultrasound echo informationPhilippe Lourenco de Oliveira
Laboratory for Molecular and Functional Imaging, UMR 5231 CNRS Université Bordeaux 2, Bordeaux, France
NMR Biomed 23:1103-8. 2010..of integrating real-time ultrasound echo guidance in MR-guided high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) heating of mobile targets in order to reduce latency between displacement analysis and HIFU treatment...
- Changes in optical properties of human whole blood in vitro due to slow heatingA M Nilsson
Department of Physics, Lund Institute of Technology, Sweden
Photochem Photobiol 65:366-73. 1997..The blood flow was maintained at a constant rate through a flow cell while continuously heating the blood at 0.2-1.1 degrees C/min from approximately 25 to 55 degrees C in a heat exchanger...
- Investigation of the heating properties of platinum nanoparticles under a radiofrequency currentBoi Hoa San
Sungkyunkwan Advanced Institute of Nanotechnology, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon, Korea
Int J Hyperthermia 29:99-105. 2013For the potential application of platinum nanoparticles (PtNPs) in hyperthermia therapy, the heating efficiency of PtNPs in the presence of radiofrequency (RF) current generated by a capacitive electric transfer (CET) system was compared ..
- Respiratory responses to diverse indoor combustion air pollution sourcesZ Qian
Department of Health Evaluation Sciences, Pennsylvania State University, Hershey, PA 17033 0855, USA
Indoor Air 17:135-42. 2007..Coal smoke derived from home heating ('heating coal smoke') was associated with high adult reporting of persistent cough, persistent phlegm, and ..
- Soil microbial community structure across a thermal gradient following a geothermal heating eventTracy B Norris
Thermal Biology Institute and Department of Land Resources and Environmental Sciences, Montana State University, Bozeman 59717, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 68:6300-9. 2002..The impact of the major heating disturbance was apparent in that DGGE profiles from heated soils appeared less complex than those from the ..
- Photoinduced heating of nanoparticle arraysGuillaume Baffou
Aix Marseille Universite, CNRS, Centrale Marseille, Institut Fresnel, UMR 7249, 13013 Marseille, France
ACS Nano 7:6478-88. 2013..In the case of femtosecond-pulsed illumination, we explain the two conditions that must be fulfilled to observe a further enhanced temperature spatial confinement. ..
- Ocular, nasal, dermal and respiratory symptoms in relation to heating, ventilation, energy conservation, and reconstruction of older multi-family housesK Engvall
Stockholm Office of Research and Statistics, Stockholm, Sweden
Indoor Air 13:206-11. 2003The aim was to study relationships between symptoms compatible with the sick building syndrome, type of heating and ventilation system, energy saving, and reconstruction in older dwellings...
- Lung cancer and indoor pollution from heating and cooking with solid fuels: the IARC international multicentre case-control study in Eastern/Central Europe and the United KingdomJolanta Lissowska
Department of Epidemiology and Cancer Prevention, Cancer Center and M Sklodowska Curie Institute of Oncology, Warsaw, Poland
Am J Epidemiol 162:326-33. 2005Exposure to fuel from cooking and heating has not been studied in Europe, where lung cancer rates are high and many residents have had a long tradition of burning coal and unprocessed biomass...
- Hydrothermal carbonization of sugarcane bagasse via wet torrefaction in association with microwave heatingWei Hsin Chen
Department of Greenergy, National University of Tainan, Tainan 700, Taiwan, ROC
Bioresour Technol 118:195-203. 2012..The effects of acid concentration, heating time and solid-to-liquid ratio on the performance of wet torrefaction are investigated...
- Synergistic effects of high hydrostatic pressure, mild heating, and amino acids on germination and inactivation of Clostridium sporogenes sporesTakateru Ishimori
Department of Food Sciences, Niigata University of Pharmacy and Applied Life Sciences, Higashijima, Akiha ku, Niigata, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 78:8202-7. 2012The synergistic effects of high hydrostatic pressure (HHP), mild heating, and amino acids on the germination of Clostridium sporogenes spores were examined by determining the number of surviving spores that returned to vegetative growth ..
- An evaluation of underbody forced-air and resistive heating during hypothermic, on-pump cardiac surgeryS Engelen
Department of Anaesthesiology, ZNA Middelheim General Hospital, Antwerp, Belgium
Anaesthesia 66:104-10. 2011..of underbody forced-air warming (Arizant Healthcare Inc, Eden Prairie, MN, USA) with an underbody resistive heating mattress (Inditherm Patient Warming System, Rotherham, UK) and passive insulation in 129 patients having ..
- Does usage of domestic heating influence internal environmental conditions and health?Jeremy J Walker
Research Unit in Health, Behaviour and Change, The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Eur J Public Health 16:463-9. 2006..In the UK, interventions to improve domestic heating are in place with the expectation that they will improve health...
- In vivo heating of magnetic nanoparticles in alternating magnetic fieldM Babincova
Department of Biophysics and Chemical Physics, Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovakia
Med Phys 31:2219-21. 2004We have evaluated heating capabilities of new magnetic nanoparticles. In in vitro experiments they were exposed to an alternating magnetic field with frequency 3.5 MHz and induction 1.5 mT produced in three turn pancake coil...
- Reduction of magnetic resonance imaging-related heating in deep brain stimulation leads using a lead management deviceKenneth B Baker
Center for Neurological Restoration, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Neurosurgery 57:392-7; discussion 392-7. 2005To evaluate the ability of a lead management device to reduce magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)-related heating of deep brain stimulation (DBS) leads and thereby to decrease the risks of exposing patients with these implants to MRI ..
- An epidemiological study of the relative importance of damp housing in relation to adult healthJ Evans
Health Services Research Unit, Department of Public Health, University of Oxford, Institute of Health Sciences, Old Road, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LF
J Epidemiol Community Health 54:677-86. 2000..To examine the association between damp housing and adult health, taking into account a wide range of other factors that may influence health and could confound this relation...
- Formaldehyde and TVOC emission behavior of laminate flooring by structure of laminate flooring and heating conditionJae Yoon An
Lab of Adhesion and Bio Composites, Program in Environmental Materials Science, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 921, Republic of Korea
J Hazard Mater 187:44-51. 2011..The samples heated with a floor heating system emitted more formaldehyde than those heated using an air circulation system due to the temperature ..
- Emu model of full-range femoral head osteonecrosis induced focally by an alternating freezing and heating insultM Fan
Orthopaedic Research Institute, General Hospital of Chinese People s Liberation Army, Beijing, China
J Int Med Res 39:187-98. 2011..Focal lesions were induced in 20 adult male emus using an alternating liquid nitrogen freezing and radiofrequency heating insult. At 2, 4, 8, 12 and 16 weeks post-surgery, hip magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) was performed...
- Infant otitis media and the use of secondary heating sourcesMelinda M Pettigrew
Yale Center for Perinatal, Pediatric and Environmental Epidemiology, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven Connecticut 06520 8034, USA
Epidemiology 15:13-20. 2004This prospective study investigated the association of exposure to indoor secondary heating sources with otitis media and recurrent otitis media risk in infants.
- More effective home heating reduces school absences for children with asthmaS Free
He Kainga Oranga Housing and Health Research Programme, University of Otago, Wellington, PO Box 7343, Wellington South 6242, New Zealand
J Epidemiol Community Health 64:379-86. 2010..Both health effects and social effects can impact on school absence rates. The aim of this study was to determine whether more effective home heating affects school absence for children with asthma.
- Antigen retrieval trial for post-embedding immunoelectron microscopy by heating with several unmasking solutionsNagahito Saito
Department of Gastroenterology and Hematology, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
J Histochem Cytochem 51:989-94. 2003..We suggest that the antigen retrieval method should be applied for routine use even by in post-embedding immunogold electron microscopy...
- The safety and effectiveness of a modified convection heating system for children during anesthesiaJohn G Cassey
Department of Paediatric Surgery, John Hunter Hospital, Newcastle, Australia
Paediatr Anaesth 16:654-62. 2006Convection heating shows most promise in maintaining children's core temperatures under anesthesia...
- Effects of heat recovery for district heating on waste incineration health impact: a simulation study in Northern ItalyMichele Cordioli
Department of Environmental Sciences, University of Parma, Parco Area delle Scienze 33 A, I 43100 Parma, Italy
Sci Total Environ 444:369-80. 2013..Since the heat from waste combustion can be recovered to power district heating networks and allows for the switch-off of domestic boilers in urbanized areas, predictive models for health ..
- Bilayer heating in magnetite nanoparticle-liposome dispersions via fluorescence anisotropyGeoffrey D Bothun
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Rhode Island, 16 Greenhouse Road, Kingston, RI 02881, USA
J Colloid Interface Sci 357:70-4. 2011..magnetite (Fe(3)O(4)) nanoparticle-liposome dispersions subjected to electromagnetic field at radiofrequency (RF) heating based on the fluorescence anisotropy of diphenylhexatriene (DPH) embedded within the bilayer...
- Changes in blood flow in a conduit artery and superficial vein of the upper arm during passive heating in humansAnna Ooue
Laboratory for Applied Human Physiology, Faculty of Human Development, Kobe University, 3 11 Tsurukabuto, Kobe, Japan
Eur J Appl Physiol 101:97-103. 2007..flow in the brachial artery and basilic vein of the upper arm with a rise in internal temperature during passive heating; and (2) to investigate the contributions of blood velocity and anteroposterior vessel diameter to these blood ..
- Understanding microwave heating effects in single mode type cavities-theory and experimentJohn Robinson
Process and Environmental Research Division, Faculty of Engineering, University of Nottingham, UKNG7 2RD
Phys Chem Chem Phys 12:4750-8. 2010..Electromagnetic simulations and heating experiments were used to show the quantitative effects of solvent type, solvent volume, vessel material, vessel ..
- Using low-E resonators to reduce RF heating in biological samples for static solid-state NMR up to 900 MHzPeter L Gor'kov
National High Magnetic Field Laboratory, Tallahassee, FL 32310, USA
J Magn Reson 185:77-93. 2007RF heating of solid-state biological samples is known to be a destabilizing factor in high-field NMR experiments that shortens the sample lifetime by continuous dehydration during the high-power cross-polarization and decoupling pulses...
- Phylogenetic and functional diversity of bacteria in biofilms from metal surfaces of an alkaline district heating systemKasper Urup Kjeldsen
Department of Microbiology, Institute of Biological Sciences, University of Aarhus, Aarhus C, Denmark
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 61:384-97. 2007District heating systems (DHS) are extreme aqueous environments characterized by high temperatures, high pH (9.5-10.0), and low nutrient availability...
- Indoor heating sources and respiratory symptoms in nonsmoking womenElizabeth W Triche
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale Center for Perinatal, Pediatric and Environmental Epidemiology, Yale University School of Medicine, 60 College Street, New Haven, CT 06520 8034, USA
Epidemiology 16:377-84. 2005Secondary heating appliances are important indoor sources of air pollution, including particulate matter, nitrogen dioxide (NO2), and sulfur dioxide (SO2)...
- Local heating of discrete droplets using magnetic porous silicon-based photonic crystalsJi Ho Park
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, California 92093 0358, USA
J Am Chem Soc 128:7938-46. 2006This paper describes a method for local heating of discrete microliter-scale liquid droplets...
- Production of a human-tissue-equivalent MRI phantom: optimization of material heatingSeiichiro Ohno
Central Division of Radiology, Okayama University Hospital, Okayama, Japan
Magn Reson Med Sci 7:131-40. 2008We conceived a 2-stage heating method to dissolve the ingredients of magnetic resonance (MR) imaging phantoms to overcome issues of uneven quality in conventional MR imaging phantoms, and we evaluated uniformity and the reproducibility ..
- Induction heating for surface triggering styrene polymerization on titanium modified with ATRP initiatorBastien Barthélémy
Laboratory of Chemistry and Electrochemistry of Surfaces CES, University of Namur FUNDP, rue de Bruxelles, 61, B 5000 Namur, Belgium
J Colloid Interface Sci 354:873-9. 2011..grafted 11-(2-bromoisobutyrate)-undecyl-1-phosphonic acid as initiator and to compare the impact of two different heating ways on the efficiency of this polymerization: induction vs. conventional heating...
- Genotoxicity of organic extracts of house dust from Shanxi, ChinaZiad Naufal
Texas A and M Health Science Center, School of Rural Public Health, College Station, Texas 77843 1266, USA
J Toxicol Environ Health A 70:2080-8. 2007..Four dust samples (E1-4) were collected from houses in Shanxi, China, where coal is heavily used for heating and cooking. For comparison, a coal sample was also collected from one of the houses and included in the analyses...
- DNA mutation detection with chip-based temperature gradient capillary electrophoresis using a slantwise radiative heating systemHui Dan Zhang
Department of Cell Biology, Key Lab of Cell Biology of Ministry of Public Health, China Medical University, Shenyang, 110001, China
Lab Chip 7:1162-70. 2007..TGCE) system was developed for DNA mutation/single-nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) analysis using a radiative heating system...
- MRI thermometry: Fast mapping of RF-induced heating along conductive wiresPhilipp Ehses
Physikalisches Institut EP 5, Universitat Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
Magn Reson Med 60:457-61. 2008..strict contraindication for MRI examinations, as RF pulses applied during the MRI measurement can lead to severe heating of the surrounding tissue...
- Nanodroplet real-time PCR system with laser assisted heatingHanyoup Kim
Molecular Physics Laboratory, SRI International, Menlo Park, California 94025, USA
Opt Express 17:218-27. 2009We report the successful application of low-power (approximately 30 mW) laser radiation as an optical heating source for high-speed real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) amplification of DNA in nanoliter droplets dispersed in an oil ..
- Heating induces aggregation and decreases detection of serotonin transporter protein on western blotsMichael W McLane
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
Synapse 61:875-6. 2007..In the Western blot procedure, heat denaturation is a common, early step. We now report that heating samples to 90 degrees C decreases the abundance of the SERT protein band and causes dispersion of a majority of ..
- Microwave dielectric heating of drops in microfluidic devicesDavid Issadore
School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Lab Chip 9:1701-6. 2009We present a technique to locally and rapidly heat water drops in microfluidic devices with microwave dielectric heating. Water absorbs microwave power more efficiently than polymers, glass, and oils due to its permanent molecular dipole ..
- Noncontact sub-10 nm temperature measurement in near-field laser heatingYanan Yue
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Iowa State University, 2025 Black Engineering Building, Ames, Iowa 50011 2161, United States
ACS Nano 5:4466-75. 2011..The involved sub-10 nm near-field heating has not been characterized quantitatively due to the extremely small heating region...
- A randomised trial of home energy efficiency improvement in the homes of elderly COPD patientsL M Osman
Institute of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, School of Health and Population Sciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK
Eur Respir J 35:303-9. 2010..Secondary "pragmatic" analysis suggests that those who do take action may achieve clinically significant improvement in respiratory health, which is not associated with an increase in indoor warmth...
- Quantifying the impact of residential heating on the urban air quality in a typical European coal combustion regionHeikki Junninen
European Commission, Joint Research Centre, Ispra Va, Italy
Environ Sci Technol 43:7964-70. 2009..coal combustion region (Krakow, Poland), aims at quantifying the impact on the urban air quality of residential heating by coal combustion in comparison with other potential pollution sources such as power plants, industry, and ..
- Local nanoscale heating modulates single-asperity frictionChristian Greiner
Department of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics, University of Pennsylvania, Towne Building, 220 South 33rd Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, United States
Nano Lett 10:4640-5. 2010..The heater temperature was varied between 25 and 650 °C (tip temperatures from 25 ± 2 to 120 ± 20 °C). Heating caused friction to increase by a factor of 4 in air at ∼ 30% relative humidity, but in dry nitrogen friction ..
- Heating stress patterns in Caenorhabditis elegans longevity and survivorshipA I Michalski
Institute of Control Sciences, Moscow, Russia
Biogerontology 2:35-44. 2001..In different experiments P-values for the observed life spans under the hypothesis that heating has no influence on longevity were P < 0.004 after 0.5 hour heat, P < 0.012 after 1 hour heat and P < 0...
- Effect of controlled volumetric tissue heating with radiofrequency on cellulite and the subcutaneous tissue of the buttocks and thighsMa Emilia del Pino
Dermatology Surgeons, Hospital Angeles del Pedregal, Mexico, D F
J Drugs Dermatol 5:714-22. 2006..Although many of these new choices have demonstrated a smoothing effect (following a multitude of treatments), the objective documentation has in most cases been limited to biopsies, circumference measurements, and photographic evidence...
- A randomised controlled trial of the electric heating pad vs forced-air warming for preventing hypothermia during laparotomyK K Leung
Department of Anaesthesia, United Christian Hospital, China
Anaesthesia 62:605-8. 2007..upper body forced-air warming (Bair Hugger, Augustine Medical model 500/OR, Prairie, MN) with that of an electric heating pad (Operatherm 202, KanMed, Bromma, Sweden) for maintenance of intra-operative body temperature in 60 patients ..
- Spatio-temporal thermal kinetics of in situ MWCNT heating in biological tissues under NIR laser irradiationLaura Picou
Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering, Louisiana State University Agricultural Center, Baton Rouge, LA 70803 4505, USA
Nanotechnology 21:435101. 2010..Experimental results concluded that power levels of 1536 mW easily achieved hyperthermic temperatures with localized values as high as 172.7 °C...
- Indoor air pollution from biomass combustion and acute respiratory illness in preschool age children in ZimbabweVinod Mishra
Population and Health Studies, East West Center, 1601 East West Road, Honolulu, HI 96848 1601, USA
Int J Epidemiol 32:847-53. 2003Reliance on biomass for cooking and heating exposes many women and young children in developing countries to high levels of air pollution indoors...
- Does biofuel smoke contribute to anaemia and stunting in early childhood?Vinod Mishra
ORC Macro, 11785 Beltsville Drive, Calverton, MD 20705, USA
Int J Epidemiol 36:117-29. 2007Reliance on biomass fuels for cooking and heating exposes many women and young children in developing countries to high levels of air pollution indoors...
- Solid-phase synthesis of difficult peptide sequences at elevated temperatures: a critical comparison of microwave and conventional heating technologiesBernadett Bacsa
Christian Doppler Laboratory for Microwave Chemistry and Institute of Chemistry, Karl Franzens University Graz, Heinrichstrasse 28, A 8010 Graz, Austria
J Org Chem 73:7532-42. 2008..produced the difficult peptides in rather poor quality, excellent peptide purities were obtained using microwave heating at a temperature of 86 degrees C for both the coupling and deprotection steps in only 10 and 2...
- Validation of the criteria for initiating the cleaning of heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning (HVAC) ductwork under real conditionsJacques Lavoie
Institut de recherche Robert Sauve en sante et en securite du travail IRSST, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Occup Environ Hyg 8:467-72. 2011Dust accumulation in the components of heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning (HVAC) systems is a potential source of contaminants...
- A convenient synthesis by microwave heating and pharmacological evaluation of novel benzoyltriazole and saccharine derivatives as 5-HT(1A) receptor ligandsGiuseppe Caliendo
Dipartimento di Chimica Farmaceutica e Tossicologica di Napoli Federico II, via D Montesano, 49 80131, Napoli, Italy
Eur J Pharm Sci 16:15-28. 2002A series of novel 1,2,3-4-benzoyltriazole and saccharine derivatives were designed and synthesized by microwave heating. They were evaluated on a battery of receptors, including serotonin 5-HT(1A,) 5-HT(2A) and 5-HT(2C), and the most ..
- Warming by resistive heating maintains perioperative normothermia as well as forced air heatingY Matsuzaki
Department of Anaesthesia, Saiseikai Shimonoseki General Hospital, Japan
Br J Anaesth 90:689-91. 2003Even mild perioperative hypothermia is associated with several severe adverse effects. Resistive heating has possible advantages compared with other active warming systems because it can heat several fields independently...
- Fast temperature programming on a stainless-steel narrow-bore capillary column by direct resistive heating for fast gas chromatographyFeng Xu
Department of Instrumentation and Analytical Chemistry, Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, No 457, Zhongshan Road, Dalian 116023, China
J Chromatogr A 1186:183-8. 2008A direct resistive-heating fast temperature programming device for fast gas chromatography was designed and evaluated. A stainless-steel (SS) capillary column acted both as a separation column and as a heating element...
- Nanowire transformation and annealing by Joule heatingMagnus Hummelgård
Department of Natural Sciences, Engineering and Mathematics, Mid Sweden University, SE 851 70 Sundsvall, Sweden
Nanotechnology 21:165704. 2010Joule heating of bundles of Mo(6)S(3)I(6) nanowires, in real time, was studied using in situ TEM probing...
- Laser Doppler perfusion monitoring of skin blood flow at different depths in finger and arm upon local heatingCarolin Freccero
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Malmo University Hospital, University of Lund, SE 20502 Malmo, Sweden
Microvasc Res 66:183-9. 2003The purpose of the study was to elucidate the vasodilatory response to local heating of the skin at two depths in two locations...
- Alkali (NaOH) pretreatment of switchgrass by radio frequency-based dielectric heatingZhenhu Hu
Department of Biological Systems Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 204 Seitz Hall, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA, 24061, USA
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 148:71-81. 2008Radio-frequency (RF)-based dielectric heating was used in the alkali (NaOH) pretreatment of switchgrass to enhance its enzymatic digestibility. Due to the unique features of RF heating (i.e...
- Effect of insulating existing houses on health inequality: cluster randomised study in the communityPhilippa Howden-Chapman
He Kainga Oranga, Housing and Health Research Programme, University of Otago, Wellington, PO Box 7343, Wellington South, New Zealand
BMJ 334:460. 2007..To determine whether insulating existing houses increases indoor temperatures and improves occupants' health and wellbeing...
- MR heating tests of MR critical implantsWolfgang Kainz
J Magn Reson Imaging 26:450-1. 2007
- Influence of cooking and heating fuel use on 1-59 month old mortality in South AfricaJ Wichmann
School of Health Systems and Public Health, Health Sciences Faculty, University of Pretoria, PO Box 667, Pretoria 0001, South Africa
Matern Child Health J 10:553-61. 2006To determine the association between the combustion of wood, animal dung, coal and paraffin (polluting fuels) for cooking and heating and 1-59 month old mortality in South Africa, whilst adjusting for a number of confounders.
- Extension of a DNA molecule by local heating with a laserMasatoshi Ichikawa
Department of Physics, Graduate School of Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Phys Rev Lett 99:148104. 2007Thermal convection and thermophoresis induced by mum-scale local heating are shown to elongate a single DNA molecule...
- Indoor ultrafine particle exposures and home heating systems: a cross-sectional survey of Canadian homes during the winter monthsScott Weichenthal
Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Occupational Health, Faculty of Medicine, McGill University, Quebec, Canada
J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol 17:288-97. 2007..In this investigation, our objective was to examine the contribution of home heating systems (electric baseboard heaters, wood stoves, forced-air oil/natural gas furnace) to indoor UFP exposures...
- Computer modeling of the effect of perfusion on heating patterns in radiofrequency tumor ablationZ Liu
Department of Radiology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Int J Hyperthermia 23:49-58. 2007To use an established computer simulation model of radiofrequency (RF) ablation to further characterize the effect of varied perfusion on RF heating for commonly used RF durations and electrode types, and different tumor sizes.
- Estimating the burden of disease attributable to indoor air pollution from household use of solid fuels in South Africa in 2000Rosana Norman
Burden of Disease Research Unit, South African Medical Research Council, Tygerberg, Cape Town
S Afr Med J 97:764-71. 2007..To estimate the burden of respiratory ill health in South African children and adults in 2000 from exposure to indoor air pollution associated with household use of solid fuels...
- Cellular level loading and heating of superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticlesVenkat S Kalambur
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 111 Church Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Langmuir 23:12329-36. 2007..of biomedical applications due to their properties of visualization using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), heating with radio frequency (rf), and movement in an external magnetic field...
- The impact of domestic wood burning on personal, indoor and outdoor levels of 1,3-butadiene, benzene, formaldehyde and acetaldehydePernilla Gustafson
Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Academy at Göteborg University, P O Box 414, S 405 30, Goteborg, Sweden
J Environ Monit 9:23-32. 2007..1,3-butadiene, benzene, formaldehyde and acetaldehyde in a small Swedish town where wood burning for space heating is common...
- Measuring local RF heating in MRI: Simulating perfusion in a perfusionless phantomImran B Akca
Electrical and Electronic Engineering Department, Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey
J Magn Reson Imaging 26:1228-35. 2007To overcome conflicting methods of local RF heating measurements by proposing a simple technique for predicting in vivo temperature rise by using a gel phantom experiment.
- Comparison of formaldehyde emission from building finishing materials at various temperatures in under heating system; ONDOLSumin Kim
Laboratory of Adhesion and Bio composites, Major in Environmental Materials Science, Seoul National University, Seoul, 151 921, South Korea
Indoor Air 15:317-25. 2005..The temperature conditions were set up by, measuring the temperature in a Korean under heating system...
- Differential effects of detergents, fatty acids, cations and heating on ostrich skeletal muscle 20S proteasomeAdele R Thomas
Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, University of Port Elizabeth, PO Box 1600, Port Elizabeth 6000, South Africa
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 140:343-8. 2005..the ostrich enzyme in terms of the effects of selected detergents, fatty acids and cations, as well as heating at 60 degrees C, on four of its activities...
- Heating of tissues by microwaves: a model analysisK R Foster
Department of Bioengineering, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104 6392, USA
Bioelectromagnetics 19:420-8. 1998We consider the thermal response times for heating of tissue subject to nonionizing (microwave or infrared) radiation. The analysis is based on a dimensionless form of the bioheat equation...
- Infant respiratory symptoms associated with indoor heating sourcesElizabeth W Triche
Center for Perinatal, Pediatric and Environmental Epidemology, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 166:1105-11. 2002This study examined the effects of indoor heating sources on infant respiratory symptoms during the heating season of the first year of life...
- Childhood asthma in Beijing, China: a population-based case-control studyTongzhang Zheng
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Am J Epidemiol 156:977-83. 2002..An increased risk was observed for use of coal for heating (OR = 1.5, 95% CI: 1.1, 1.9)...
- Intracellular Phase Diagram Creation Using a Micro-Differential Scanning CalorimeGARY L SOLBREKKEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..of the [unreadable]DSC is based on the Peltier effect, which allows precise temperature control during both heating and cooling modes...
- A new ultra-low field in-vivo EPR technology for biomedical applicationsInseob Hahn; Fiscal Year: 2012..power RF excitation will completely eliminate the problems associated with finite penetration depth and sample-heating. Our aims are: 1A) Demonstrate ?M-level EPR signal detection (both CW and pulse methods) using paramagnetic ..
- A new ultra-low field in-vivo EPR technology for biomedical applicationsInseob Hahn; Fiscal Year: 2011..power RF excitation will completely eliminate the problems associated with finite penetration depth and sample-heating. Our aims are: 1A) Demonstrate ?M-level EPR signal detection (both CW and pulse methods) using paramagnetic ..
- Age and Control of Human Skin FlowW Larry Kenney; Fiscal Year: 2013..Because core temperature excursions during even mild heating or cooling (i.e...
- Vascular effects of dietary salt in humans with salt-resistant BPWilliam B Farquhar; Fiscal Year: 2013..will be used to assess conduit endothelial- dependent dilation and cutaneous vasodilation in response to local heating using laser Doppler flowmetry and intradermal microdialysis will be assessed in the forearm to evaluate the ..
- Extending Sleep in Obese Adults to Promote Weight LossAnn E Rogers; Fiscal Year: 2010..sedentary lifestyles, and changes in food manufacturing and marketing practices, the increased use of central heating and air conditioning, increasing gravid age, decreased smoking rates, and decreased sleep durations...
- Local Vasoconstriction in Postural Tachycardia SyndromeJulian M Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2013..stress? Experiments use intradermal microdialysis probes, laser Doppler flowmetry, and the NO-dependent local heating response to measure Ang-II and Ang-(1-7) in the skin, and to examine the effects of NADPH oxidase/XO blockade ..
- Planning a clinical trial of Flash-heated breast milk to decrease morbidity, imprCaroline J Chantry; Fiscal Year: 2010..e. when breast milk and other foods are both fed to the infant. Flash-heating expressed breast milk kills HIV and maintains most of the milk's nutritional and protective qualities...
- Improving Air Quality for Laboratory Animal ResearchSharron S Quisenberry; Fiscal Year: 2010..by applicant): Iowa State University proposes to bring up to accreditation standards the under-designed HVAC (heating, ventilating and air conditioning) system in 12,697 net square feet (21,162 gross square feet) of the unit called ..
- International Training and Research in Environmental and Occupational HealthNELSON K STEENLAND; Fiscal Year: 2012..problem in both Chile and Peru where large numbers of people lack effective stoves and frequently burn wood for heating and cooking...
- CFI Inactivation of Human PlasmaTREVOR CASTOR; Fiscal Year: 2009..inactivation or removal of viruses in human plasma and therapeutic proteins derived from human plasma, including: heating or pasteurization;solvent-detergent technique;Ultra Violet (UV) irradiation;chemical inactivation utilizing ..
- NIR Light-Activated Nanoparticles for Drug and Gene DeliveryJOSEPH ANTHONY ZASADZINSKI; Fiscal Year: 2013..shells designed to strongly absorb physiologically friendly NIR light and convert this light energy into local heating. HGN can be easily conjugated to small molecules, targeting ligands, polymers, siRNA and DNA by simple thiol ..
- Endovascular Magnetic Catheter for Interventional MRISTEVEN WILLIAM HETTS; Fiscal Year: 2013..We measured heating within the catheter and its surroundings both in vitro and in vivo...
- MSU Clinical Center Animal Facility HVAC UpgradeJoseph R Haywood; Fiscal Year: 2011..MSU will match the NIH funding in excess of a 3:1 ratio. The proposed project focuses on upgrading the heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC) system of the CCAF...
- Advanced Engineering Development of a Chronic Retinal ImplantJOHN L contact WYATT; Fiscal Year: 2010..invasive design avoids intrusive vitreal surgery, the need for tacks or glue for attachment to the retina, heating of the retina by intraocular electronics, and motion-induced retinal stress from the implant...
- Renovations of the Animal Care FacilityAWADH AMIR BINHAZIM; Fiscal Year: 2010..The specific aims of this application are: 1) To correct heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) deficiencies and install a modern environmental monitoring system...
- Investigation of Indoor Solid Fuel and Kerosene Use as Tuberculosis Risk FactorsKirk R Smith; Fiscal Year: 2013..The most common fuel for heating and cooking in developing countries is biomass (wood, cow dung and agricultural waste), often burnt without any ..
- Compromised microcirculation in women with Polycystic Ovary SyndromeNINA STACHENFELD; Fiscal Year: 2010..This hypothesis will be tested using a prolonged skin heating model to study peripheral microvascular responsiveness...
- Indoor woodsmoke PM and asthma: a randomized trialTONY JOHN WARD; Fiscal Year: 2012..air quality and clinically relevant changes in health effects among asthmatics living in homes whose primary heating sources are non EPA-certified woodstoves...
- Microwave sterilization of hemodialysis catheter systemsCLARK MCWHORTER EDSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..Aim 2: Based on the system simulation, to fabricate and evaluate the heating capacity of a prototype disinfection system...
- Modernization and Transformation of the New Jersey Medical School Central ResearcRobert L Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2010..We request funds for replacement of our current heating ventilation air conditioning (HVAC) unit and modernization of a portion of its associated infrastructure;creation ..
- Essential Hypertension and Human Skin Blood FlowLacy M Alexander; Fiscal Year: 2013..expand our previous research by pairing state-of-the-art nitric oxide (NO) specific in vivo methodologies (local heating and intradermal microdialysis) with in vitro analysis of human skin samples to examine the precise signaling ..
- Aptamer-siRNA Chimera/Nanoparticle Conjugates for MRI Guided Cancer TherapyKonstantin Sokolov; Fiscal Year: 2009..Then, near infrared (NIR) irradiation will be delivered to the treatment site that will lead to the local heating of the gold layer, melting of the double stranded helix between oligonucleotide handles and the aptamer portion ..
- Exercise and Vascular Function in Chronic Kidney DiseaseDavid G Edwards; Fiscal Year: 2013..will be used to assess conduit endothelial-dependent dilation and cutaneous vasodilation in response to local heating using laser Doppler flowmetry and intradermal microdialysis will be assessed in the forearm to evaluate the ..
- EXPLORING RESPIRATORY HEALTH OUTCOMES FROM SUSTAINED USE OF EFFICIENT COOKSTOVESGAUTAM NAGABHUSHAN YADAMA; Fiscal Year: 2012..than smoking, particularly in India where 156 million households still depend on solid biomass for cooking and heating. Clean - high efficiency and low emissions - cookstoves offer a solution to this public health challenge, but ..
- Inhibition of NO Dependent Splanchnic Hyperemia Improves CFS/POTSANTHONY JAMES OCON; Fiscal Year: 2012..1) We will determine the isoform dependence of increased cutaneous NO in CFS/POTS by measuring NO-dependent local heating and acetylcholine cutaneous blood flow responses combined with isoform selective NOS inhibitors...
- Mixed NOP/mu compounds and the involvement of their receptors in analgesia.LAWRENCE R TOLL; Fiscal Year: 2013..Using high or low heating rates C- or A -fibers can be independently activated...
- Ultrasound-induced Thermal Strain Imaging for Arterial Plaque CharacterizationKang Kim; Fiscal Year: 2013..TSI uses heating to induce a temperature rise in tissue and then determines the temperature change from local changes in sound ..
- Percutaneous cardiac HIFU ablation with multimodal image guidanceDouglas N Stephens; Fiscal Year: 2013..CMUTs are proven to have minimal self-heating in continuous wave operation, unlike their piezoelectric counterparts with high internal dielectric losses...
- Bionanoconjugates for Detection of Circulating Tumor Cells in Lung CancerMarc Knecht; Fiscal Year: 2012..bind antigen on a cell surface, a single strand of the DNA tag can be released into suspension by briefly heating the complex mixture;liberated DNA strands amplified by PCR provide a highly sensitive and quantifiable measure of ..
- Formaldehyde and Other Pollutants from Ozone Reactions on Ventilation SystemsHugo Destaillats; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project is aimed at studying ozone reactions with particulate matter and sorbed chemicals collected on heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) filters. The study will also test the inertness of filter media...
- Development of photothermal microscopy for biomedical applicationsJEROME C MERTZ; Fiscal Year: 2012..One beam (the heating beam) is tuned to a chromophore absorption line while the other is set at wavelength outside any absorption bands ..
- Biospecimen preparation technologies to enable high throughput and highly sensitiJames Lai; Fiscal Year: 2013..When a stimulus (e.g., heating) is applied to the solution, both stimuli- responsive reagents, including mNPs and polymer-antibody conjugates, ..
- PHYSIOLOGICAL FACTORS IN HYPERTHERMIAROBERT JAMES GRIFFIN; Fiscal Year: 2012..With increasing uses of various heating devices and strategies comes an increasing gap in our knowledge pertaining to the biology and physiology of ..
- A Pilot Study for Integrating Facility Information with Healthcare Information toCHINEMELU J ANUMBA; Fiscal Year: 2010..of dynamic data related to the availability of rooms, technical equipment, waste management, food services, heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, and maintenance status is processed daily to provide for a ..
- Sensitivity enhancement in solution NMR through dynamic nuclear polarizationA Joshua Wand; Fiscal Year: 2013..Thus, irradiation results in catastrophic heating of the sample and its destruction...
- Toxicity and Efficacy of Gold Nanoparticle Photothermal Therapy in CancerDong M Shin; Fiscal Year: 2013..These gold nanorods exhibit higher intrinsic absorption efficiencies leading to faster and higher heating effects than the prototypical gold nanoshells or nanocages (Au NSs / Au NCs)...
- Ultrasound Imaging and Local Drug Delivery in TumorsKatherine W Ferrara; Fiscal Year: 2013..this goal we will create a combined PET-CT-US system for image-guided-interventions, optimize the 3D-ultrasound heating protocol, maximize the target-to-background ratio for guiding interventions with PET-CT-US, finalize the loading ..
- Exploiting thermoregulatory mechanisms to improve radiation therapy of cancerElizabeth Repasky; Fiscal Year: 2013..Moreover, because of technical application difficulties, the first heating dose is usually delivered after the first radiation dose, and is administered infrequently in comparison to ..
- A SonoKnife for Advanced CancersEduardo G Moros; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our long-term goal seeks to maximize the therapeutic benefits of thermoradiotherapy by developing specialized heating systems...
- High Frequency Ultrasound Arrays for Cardiac ImagingDavid J Sahn; Fiscal Year: 2012..These include methods such as thermal strain imaging to assess tissue heating and laser acoustic tissue characterization and ultrasound methods for defining altered mechanical properties of ..
- Rapid Diagnosis of MDR TB from Sputum using a Small Fully Integrated Nucleic AcidAngelika Niemz; Fiscal Year: 2013..The handheld instrument controls the pumping, valving and isothermal heating steps necessary for test execution...
- Ultra-Precise Laser Surgery to study Cell BiomechanicsYukiko Yamashita; Fiscal Year: 2013..Because this technique is based on highly non-linear optical breakdown (as opposed to heating or ordinary absorption) it can produce targeted sub-cellular ablations confined to regions considerably smaller ..
- Adherence Assessment for SupplementsMichael N Harris; Fiscal Year: 2011..glassware, rotary evaporator, vacuum lines for reactions and distillations, atmosphere controlled glove boxes, heating/stirring mantles, spectrometers (UV-VIS-NIR), NMR, crystallography, fluorimeters, FTIR, TGA and DSC, microscopes, ..
- Minimally invasive microwave antennas for image-guided focal tumor ablationRICHARD WILLIAM SCHEFELKER; Fiscal Year: 2010..Microwave energy has many advantages for tumor ablation, including faster heating, more consistent results and improves multiple-applicator capabilities...
- B1 Based Localization for MRSI of Human Brain at 7THoby P Hetherington; Fiscal Year: 2012..conventional spectroscopic imaging sequences result in long echo times and can exceed FDA guidelines for tissue heating when applied at 7T...
- A Prototype Wireless Digital MR Spectrometer on a Single Integrated CircuitRoland Bammer; Fiscal Year: 2013..including: (1) improved patient safety by eliminating electrically conducting wires that can cause tissue heating;(2) no additional load is placed on the existing MR receiver hardware since communication occurs within its own ..
- Antimicrobial catheterLUIZ BARROCA DA SILVA; Fiscal Year: 2011..We propose to develop a new catheter that uses pulsed surface heating to prevent bacterial growth and adhesion...
- Intrabiliary MR/RF-enhanced chemotherapy of malignant biliary obstructionsXiaoming Yang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Based on our previous extensive experience with a novel intraluminal MR imaging (MRI)/radiofrequency heating (RFH) prototype system, we are going to establish a new interventional technique...
- Pilot Study of Childhood Leukemia in GuatemalaLibby Morimoto; Fiscal Year: 2013..indigenous and mixed (mestizo) indigenous-European peoples, as well as the widespread use of biomass fuels for heating and cooking, Guatemala presents an ideal model system to study exposure to suspected carcinogenic combustion ..
- Light-Triggered Drug Release in Primed Pancreatic TumorsJonathan F Lovell; Fiscal Year: 2013..which involves doping porphyrin bilayers with high transition temperature lipids, is based on a novel nanoscale heating phenomenon unique to porphysomes...
- Residential Wood Smoke Interventions Improving Health in Native American PopulatiTONY JOHN WARD; Fiscal Year: 2013..Biomass smoke exposures due to residential wood heating are common among rural Native American communities, and such exposures have been associated with respiratory ..
- Recovery of Proteins from Formalin-fixed Tissues under High Hydrostatic PressureCarol B Fowler; Fiscal Year: 2010..The use of high hydrostatic pressure supplemented with moderate heating (=65 oC)is an innovative and highly effective approach for the extraction of whole proteins from FFPE tissues and ..
- Mechanical Stress and the Heat-Treatment of Soft TissueJAY HUMPHREY; Fiscal Year: 2003..our lab reveal that whereas increasing temperature hastens the thermal-damage process, increased loading during heating delays it...
- Image-guided thermo-chemoembolization for treatment of liver cancerEleni A Liapi; Fiscal Year: 2013..In order to achieve the proposed aims, we will first characterize the heating properties of the proposed formulation in both in vitro and in vivo models...
- Novel Approach to Improve Port Wine Stain Treatment in Human SkinJOHN STUART NELSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..The proposed research addresses a critical barrier of inadequate PWS blood vessel heating. While MCS maintain the epidermal temperature well below the damage threshold, delivery of MLP increases the core ..
- Improved arrhythmia imaging with MR compatible 12-lead ECGEHUD JERUHAM SCHMIDT; Fiscal Year: 2013..The system will also meet the FDA patient heating limits during MRI imaging...
- Self-microencapsulation in polymer delivery systems without organic solventsSteven P Schwendeman; Fiscal Year: 2010..g., by simple heating to physiological temperature...
- Ultrasound-based tumor targeting and thermal ablation monitoring systemElisa E Konofagou; Fiscal Year: 2013..tumor ablation and monitoring by utilizing the tumor's change in viscoelasticity property estimation during heating in phantom, ex vivo and in vivo murine and human applications...
- Compliant Mouse Restrainer for in vivo Optical Imaging and SurgeryShih Chi Chen; Fiscal Year: 2012..tools on mice to restrain their motions, though these stereotaxic adaptors are large in size and do not provide heating to maintain the body temperature of anaesthetized animals...
- Cytotoxic Heat Transfer and Thrombotic Risk in Microwave Tumor AblationCHIH SHENG J CHIANG; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, larger tumors are difficult to treat with RF because of its self- limiting heating mechanism and susceptibility to the cooling effect of nearby vasculature...
- TOPIC 319 TECHNOLOGY TO GENERATE ANTI PEPTIDE CAPTUE REAGENTS FOR AFFINITY ENRIFHJohn Bruno; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aptamer-MBs can then release captured peptides by heating or acidification for mass spectral analyses in high throughput proteomic systems...
- INTRACAVITARY HYPERTHERM & RADIATN OF ESOPHAGEAL CANCERC Chou; Fiscal Year: 1993..b>Heating deep-seated tumors with external microwave or radio frequency fields is technically very difficult because the ..
- SoundTrak: A Data Acquisition and Analysis System for OSDBB Parker; Fiscal Year: 2009..g., a sibling sleeping in the same room, noise from heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems, etc)...
- Solar Water Disinfection: Randomized Intervention TrialJOHN COLFORD; Fiscal Year: 2006..of drinking water is especially appealing using a combination of irradiation by direct sunlight and solar heating to kill the water-borne pathogens in contaminated drinking water...
- Neural and non-neural modulators of skin blood flow and sweating in humansCRAIG CRANDALL; Fiscal Year: 2009..Adding to this complexity, direct local heating of the skin induces cutaneous vasodilation via an entirely different mechanism (i.e...
- Center of Predictive Medicine for BiodefenseMANUAL MARTINEZ; Fiscal Year: 2007..The facility building will include a penthouse that will be limited to facility mechanical and heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning (HVAC) components...
- DNA-modulated release of drug from melanoma targeting NPKit Lam; Fiscal Year: 2009..An external high frequency electromagnetic field (radiofrequency or RF heating) will be transduced by the MNP to a localized thermal output causing dsDNA denaturation and concomitant in situ ..
- LIGHT STIMULATED CARDIAC PACING AND DEFIBRILLATIONJULIET MORGAN; Fiscal Year: 1991..light to determine if short pulses of low energy light at the desired wavelength can be used without undesirable heating effects g) develop a system using short wave visible laser light for use as an automatic implantable cardiac ..
- CONTROL OF THE CIRCULATION DURING THERMAL STRESSDUANE PROPPE; Fiscal Year: 1991Skin blood flow increases and renal blood flow decreases in humans and baboons during environmental heating (EH)...
- IMPROVING THE INSTITUTIONAL ANIMAL RESOURCES FACILITYBERNADETTE DUNHAM; Fiscal Year: 1990..the Animal Care Facility located on the fourth floor of Weiskotten Hall is the addition of humidification to the heating, ventilation and air conditioning system currently in place...
- Skin Blood Flow in Diabetes: Local and Reflex ControlNisha Charkoudian; Fiscal Year: 2007..by venous occlusion plethysmography, and local pharmacological blockade in combination with (a) direct (local) heating of the skin, and (b) whole-body heating in patients with type 2 DM and age-matched controls to address the ..
- Ultrasound-Mediated Blood-Brain Barrier Permeabilization in PrimatesSteven Gullans; Fiscal Year: 2006..has been demonstrated to open the BBB at energy levels that do not result in cellular injury, but associated heating of bone and adjacent tissue prevents HIFU application without direct exposure of the brain by the creation of a ..
- EFFECTS OF HYPERTHERMIA ON IMMUNE FUNCTIONS IN VITROEDDIE LAMON; Fiscal Year: 1992..We will test this hypotheses by heating mouse spleen cells in vitro (37-45 degree C, 10-90 min) and subsequently evaluating the cells phenotypically and ..