left atrial function
Summary: The hemodynamic and electrophysiological action of the LEFT ATRIUM.
Publications193 found, 100 shown here
- Diastolic dysfunction and left atrial volume: a population-based studyAllison M Pritchett
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 45:87-92. 2005..We examined the association between diastolic function and left atrial volume indexed to body surface area (LAVi) in a population-based study...
- Mapping techniques for atrial fibrillation ablationJasbir Sra
Aurora Sinai Medical Center, Milwaukee Campus, USA
Curr Probl Cardiol 32:669-767. 2007..Ongoing advances in mapping technique will increase safety and efficacy and it is likely that AF ablation will become the first-line therapy in most patients with this complicated arrhythmia...
- Left atrial volume as a morphophysiologic expression of left ventricular diastolic dysfunction and relation to cardiovascular risk burdenTeresa S M Tsang
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Cardiol 90:1284-9. 2002..In patients without a history of atrial arrhythmias or valvular heart disease, LA volume expressed the severity of diastolic dysfunction and provided an index of cardiovascular risk and disease burden...
- Noninvasive assessment of left atrial function by strain rate imaging in patients with hypertension: a possible beneficial effect of renin-angiotensin system inhibition on left atrial functionNobuaki Kokubu
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, Japan
Hypertens Res 30:13-21. 2007..SR imaging can detect LA dysfunction in HT patients and is useful for evaluation of the therapeutic benefit on LA reservoir function...
- Left atrial function after ablation for paroxysmal atrial fibrillationAna Clara Tude Rodrigues
Heart Institute, Instituto do Coração InCor, Hospital das Clínicas da Universidade de São Paulo HC, FMUSP, Echocardiography Laboratory, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Am J Cardiol 103:395-8. 2009..To evaluate left atrial function shortly and midterm after ablation, 33 consecutive patients with paroxysmal AF were studied at baseline, 24 ..
- Left atrial function and scar after catheter ablation of atrial fibrillationJohn V Wylie
Cardiovascular Division, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Heart Rhythm 5:656-62. 2008..Catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation (AF) involves extensive radiofrequency ablation (RFA) of the left atrium (LA) around the pulmonary veins. The effect of this therapy on LA function is not fully characterized...
- Abnormalities of left atrial function after cardioversion: an atrial strain rate studyL Thomas
Department of Cardiology, University of Sydney Westmead Hospital, Darcy Road, Sydney 2145, New South Wales, Australia
Heart 93:89-95. 2007..from chronic atrial fibrillation (CAF) and normal controls, we sought to determine whether Doppler-derived atrial strain rate (A-sr) could be used to measure global left atrial function and whether A-sr was reduced in patients with CAF.
- Left atrial function in diastolic heart failureMustafa Kurt
Department of Cardiology, The Methodist DeBakey Heart Center, The Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Circ Cardiovasc Imaging 2:10-5. 2009..The reasons for the transition from asymptomatic dysfunction to heart failure need better definition, including noninvasive measurements that can detect the transition...
- Quantitative regional analysis of left atrial function by Doppler tissue imaging-derived parameters discriminates patients with posterior and anterior myocardial infarctionErwan Donal
Department of Cardiology, University Hospital La Miletrie, 86021 Poitiers, France
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 18:32-8. 2005..Doppler tissue imaging can now be used for the assessment of left atrial (LA) function. LA function was evaluated by this technique in a group of patients hospitalized for acute myocardial infarction and in a control population...
- Reduced left atrial function on exercise in patients with heart failure and normal ejection fractionY T Tan
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
Heart 96:1017-23. 2010..The authors hypothesised that failure of left atrial (LA) compensatory mechanism particularly on exercise contributes to the genesis of symptoms in HFNEF patients...
- Propofol alters left atrial function evaluated with pressure-volume relations in vivoFranz Kehl
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, 8701 Watertown Plank Road, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Anesth Analg 94:1421-6, table of contents. 2002..Relaxation was unchanged. The results indicate that propofol depresses LA myocardial contractility, reduces dynamic chamber stiffness, maintains reservoir function, and impairs LA-LV coupling but does not alter LA relaxation in vivo...
- Effects of pacing-induced and balloon coronary occlusion ischemia on left atrial function in patients with coronary artery diseaseC Stefanadis
Department of Cardiology, Hippokration Hospital, University of Athens, Greece
J Am Coll Cardiol 33:687-96. 1999....
- Extensive ablation during pulmonary vein antrum isolation has no adverse impact on left atrial function: an echocardiography and cine computed tomography analysisAtul Verma
Marin General Hospital, Sutter Pacific Heart Centers, San Francisco, California, USA
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 17:741-6. 2006..Although pulmonary vein antrum isolation (PVAI) may cure atrial fibrillation (AF) and improve left atrial (LA) function, the effect of extensive LA ablation on LA function is not well known...
- Fate of left atrial function as determined by real-time three-dimensional echocardiography study after radiofrequency catheter ablation for the treatment of atrial fibrillationVictoria Delgado
Cardiology Department, Thorax Institute, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Cardiol 101:1285-90. 2008....
- Resting echocardiographic assessments of left atrial function and filling pressure interest in the understanding of exercise capacity in patients with chronic congestive heart failureErwan Donal
Department of Cardiology, University Hospital Rennes, Rennes, France
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 21:703-10. 2008..Cardiopulmonary exercise testing has become a powerful tool to predict outcome in chronic heart failure (CHF). We looked for cardiac determinants, using resting echocardiographic parameters, of exercise tolerance in patients with CHF...
- Assessment of left atrial ejection force in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy using real-time three-dimensional echocardiographyAshraf M Anwar
Thoraxcenter, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 20:744-8. 2007..We concluded that HCM is associated with higher LA-EF than normal, and higher in obstructive HCM than nonobstructive indicating a higher atrial workload that is reflected by LA-EF(3D-MAA)...
- Assessment of systolic and diastolic left ventricular and left atrial function using vector velocity imaging in Takotsubo cardiomyopathyManjula V Burri
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35249, USA
Echocardiography 25:1138-44. 2008..Longitudinal LA dysfunction may also be present...
- The left atrial function index: a rhythm independent marker of atrial functionLiza Thomas
Department of Cardiology, University of Sydney, Westmead Hospital, Darcy Road, Sydney 2145, NSW, Australia
Eur J Echocardiogr 9:356-62. 2008This study evaluates a simple echocardiographic rhythm independent expression of left atrial (LA) function, 'the left atrial function index' (LAFI).
- The relative importance of left atrial function versus dimension in predicting atrial fibrillation after coronary artery bypass graft surgeryToshiko Nakai
Department of Medicine, Section of Cardiac Electrophysiology, and Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
Am Heart J 143:181-6. 2002..The purpose of this study was to determine whether pre-existing left atrial dysfunction is a predictor of postoperative AF compared with other clinical predictors...
- Long-term prognostic significance of left atrial volume in acute myocardial infarctionRoy Beinart
Heart Institute, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
J Am Coll Cardiol 44:327-34. 2004..The aim of this study was to evaluate the significance of increased left atrial (LA) volume determined within the first 48 h of admission as a long-term predictor of outcome in patients with acute myocardial infarction (MI)...
- Correlation of left atrial size with p-wave duration in interatrial blockVignendra Ariyarajah
Massachusetts Veterans Epidemiology Research and Information Center, Preventive Cardiology, MAVERIC, Veterans Affair Boston Health Care System, and Department of Medicine, 150 South Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02130, USA
Chest 128:2615-8. 2005..However, there has been no study addressing the direct correlation of P-wave duration in IAB and LAE...
- Left atrial volume and the risk of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation in patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathyTomoko Tani
Division of Cardiology, Kobe General Hospital, Japan
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 17:644-8. 2004..Maximum left atrial volume was the most sensitive and specific parameter for the occurrence of PAF in patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy...
- Evaluation of left atrial function by the functional volume change curve derived from Doppler flow spectraF Nakao
Department of Cardiology, Tokuyama Central Hospital, Yamaguchi, Japan
Jpn Circ J 65:953-7. 2001....
- Effects of aging on left atrioventricular coupling and left ventricular filling assessed using cardiac magnetic resonance imaging in healthy subjectsTjeerd Germans
Department of Cardiology, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Cardiol 100:122-7. 2007..Conduit volume contributed most to LV filling and decreased with age, suggesting it to be an indicator of diastolic function...
- Left atrial systolic force and cardiovascular outcome. The Strong Heart StudyMarcello Chinali
Department of Medicine, New York Presbyterian Hospital Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Am J Hypertens 18:1570-6; discussion 1577. 2005..The goal of this study was to determine whether LASF adds to prognostic prediction of other markers of preclinical cardiovascular disease in a population with a high prevalence of hypertension and diabetes...
- Left atrial and left ventricular function in healthy children and young adults assessed by three dimensional echocardiographyT Poutanen
Department of Paediatrics, Kuopio University Hospital, Kuopio, Finland
Heart 89:544-9. 2003..To establish normal values of left atrial and left ventricular volumes and function in children and young adults using three dimensional echocardiography (3DE)...
- Plasma von Willebrand factor, fibrinogen and soluble P-selectin levels in paroxysmal, persistent and permanent atrial fibrillation. Effects of cardioversion and return of left atrial functionF L Li-Saw-Hee
Haemostasis Thrombosis and Vascular Biology Unit, University Department of Medicine, City Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Eur Heart J 22:1741-7. 2001..would follow elective electrical cardioversion of persistent atrial fibrillation and the return of left atrial function. PATIENTS AND METHODS: We studied 69 patients with chronic atrial fibrillation: 23 with paroxysmal atrial ..
- A real-time three-dimensional echocardiographic quantitative analysis of left atrial function in left ventricular diastolic dysfunctionMitsushige Murata
Department of Laboratory Medicine, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Cardiol 102:1097-102. 2008....
- Impairment of left atrial function predicts post-operative atrial fibrillation after coronary artery bypass graft surgeryJacqueline M Leung
Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care, University of California, 521 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143 0648, USA
Eur Heart J 25:1836-44. 2004..This study sought to determine the relationship between LA function and post-operative AF...
- Left atrial volume, geometry, and function in systolic and diastolic heart failure of persons > or =65 years of age (the cardiovascular health study)John S Gottdiener
Division of Cardiology, University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Am J Cardiol 97:83-9. 2006..LA size is associated with the new development of HF. These findings highlight the important role of the left atrium in HF, with or without a decreased ejection fraction...
- Impact of left atrial appendage exclusion on left atrial functionKeiji Kamohara
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Lerner Research Institute, The Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland Ohio 44195, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 133:174-81. 2007We sought to investigate the short-term and midterm effects of left atrial appendage exclusion on left atrial function. Left atrial appendage exclusion is considered a possible therapeutic option for stroke prevention in patients with ..
- Relation of left atrial volume to B-type natriuretic peptide levels in patients with stable chronic heart failureJustin L Barclay
Department of Cardiology, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Am J Cardiol 98:98-101. 2006..This may help explain the relatively modest correlation between BNP and acute measures of LV filling and the heterogeneity in BNP levels in patients with stable heart failure...
- Prediction of left ventricular peak ejection velocity by preceding and prepreceding RR intervals in atrial fibrillation: a new method to adjust the influence between two intervalsHong Sook Ko
Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, Chung Ang University, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 17:743-8. 2002..In summary, simple modification could improve the relationship of both RR-1 and RR-2 with cardiac performance. RR-2 might play a more role in cardiac performance than previously expected, and when cardiac function was impaired...
- Prognostic value of left atrial volume in patients who underwent dobutamine stress echocardiography for known or suspected coronary artery diseaseJeane Mike Tsutsui
Heart Institute InCor University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Am Heart J 156:1110-6. 2008..We sought to determine the prognostic value of LAVI for predicting the outcome of patients who underwent dobutamine stress echocardiography (DSE) for known or suspected coronary artery disease (CAD)...
- Left atrial volume predicts the risk of atrial fibrillation after cardiac surgery: a prospective studyMartin Osranek
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 48:779-86. 2006..This study sought to identify preoperative predictors of postoperative atrial fibrillation (POAF) among patients undergoing cardiac surgery...
- Changes in regional left atrial function with aging: evaluation by Doppler tissue imagingL Thomas
Department of Cardiology, Westmead Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Eur J Echocardiogr 4:92-100. 2003..We tested the following hypotheses: (1) pulsed wave Doppler tissue imaging can detect global changes of left atrial function associated with ageing similar to standard echocardiographic methods, (2) colour Doppler tissue imaging can ..
- Are left atrial appendage flow velocities adequate surrogates of global left atrial function? A population-based transthoracic and transesophageal echocardiographic studyYoram Agmon
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases and Internal Medicine, and the Department of Health Science Research, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 15:433-40. 2002..Left atrial appendage (LAA) contraction velocities are used frequently as surrogates of global left atrial (LA) function, but the validity of this approach has not been confirmed...
- Effects of aging on left atrial function assessed by two-dimensional speckle tracking echocardiographyKyoko Okamatsu
University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Kitakyushu, Japan
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 22:70-5. 2009..The aim of this study was to determine (1) the feasibility and accuracy of measuring LA volume with 2DSTE and (2) the effects of aging on LA function...
- Left atrial systolic force and cardiac markers of preclinical disease in hypertensive patients: the Hypertension Genetic Epidemiology Network (HyperGEN) StudyMarcello Chinali
Department of Medicine, New York Presbyterian Hospital Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Am J Hypertens 18:899-905. 2005..This study analyzes the association of increased LASF to LV geometry and function in hypertensive patients from a population study...
- Relation of left atrial size to function as determined by transesophageal echocardiographyDavid S Blondheim
Unit of Noninvasive Cardiology, Heart Institute, Hillel Yaffe Medical Center, Hadera, Israel
Am J Cardiol 96:457-63. 2005..In large atria, an inverse relation was found between further increases in LA volume and LA function, determined by emptying fractions and fractional shortening...
- Effect of beta-blocker therapy on left atrial function in patients with heart failure: comparison of metoprolol succinate with carvedilolSakir Arslan
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Cardiology, Ataturk University, Erzurum, Turkey
Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 23:549-55. 2007..We aimed to compare the effects of carvedilol and metoprolol succinate on left atrial (LA) function in patients with chronic heart failure...
- Stroke in paced patients with sick sinus syndrome: influence of left atrial function and sizeA V Mattioli
Department of Cardiology, University of Modena, Italy
Cardiology 91:150-5. 1999..01) and a dilated left atrium with spontaneous echo contrast (p < 0.05). These findings identified patients at high risk for the development of peripheral embolism among the group of patients paced for sick sinus syndrome...
- Velocity vector imaging to quantify left atrial functionGabriel Valocik
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Safarik University Hospital, Kosice, Slovak Republic
Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 26:641-9. 2010..In conclusion, VVI is a feasible method for the assessment of LAVs and LAEF. It provides close agreement with that measured by conventional 2DE Simpson's biplane method with significant time saved...
- Is functional capacity related to left atrial contractile function in nonobstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy?Yukitaka Shizukuda
Cardiovascular Branch, National, Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Congest Heart Fail 11:234-40. 2005..These data, obtained at rest, fail to suggest that NHCM-related heart failure symptoms are due to an atrial myopathy...
- Determinants of atrial fibrillation development in patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathyMaria Angela Losi
Department of Clinical Medicine, Cardiovascular and Immunological Sciences, Federico II University School of Medicine, Naples, Italy
Am J Cardiol 94:895-900. 2004..Kaplan-Meier analysis showed that LA dysfunction carried a high risk of AF. Thus, in patients who have HC, LA function is a strong predictor of AF development and is independent of age...
- Atrial structural remodelling and restoration of atrial contraction after linear ablation for atrial fibrillationLiza Thomas
Westmead Hospital, University of Sydney, NSW, Australia
Eur Heart J 24:1942-51. 2003..We tested the hypothesis that successful restoration of SR is accompanied by measurable mechanical atrial function that is at normal or near normal levels...
- Usefulness of intracardiac Doppler assessment of left atrial function immediately post-pulmonary vein antrum isolation to predict short-term recurrence of atrial fibrillationAtul Verma
Department of Cardiology, Section of Cardiac Pacing and Electrophysiology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Am J Cardiol 94:951-4. 2004....
- Fibrillatory wave amplitude as a marker of left atrial and left atrial appendage function, and a predictor of thromboembolic risk in patients with rheumatic mitral stenosisBulent Mutlu
Department of Cardiology, Kosuyolu Heart and Research Hospital, Kadikoy, 81190 Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Cardiol 91:179-86. 2003....
- Electrical connections between left superior pulmonary vein, left atrium, and ligament of Marshall: implications for mechanisms of atrial fibrillationAlex Y Tan
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 290:H312-22. 2006..LOM-LSPV connection forms an accessory pathway that contributes to the electrical coupling between LSPV and LA during SR and AF. This pathway may contribute to rapid activations within the LSPV during AF...
- [Function of the left atrium in Chagas' cardiomyopathy]Maria do Carmo Pereira Nunes
Hospital Socor, Serviço de Ecocardiografia Ecocenter, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Arq Bras Cardiol 84:452-6. 2005..To study the function of the left atrium in carriers of dilated cardiomyopathy of chagasic etiology and relate it to the diastolic function and to the functional class...
- Atrial fibrillation and left atrial enlargement: the hen or the egg?Tsung O Cheng
Int J Cardiol 118:107. 2007
- Embolic stroke, sinus rhythm and left atrial mechanical functionRenzo M R Lombardo
Department of Cardiology, Ospedale S Antonio Abate, Via Cosenza, 91016 Erice Trapani, Italy
Eur J Echocardiogr 7:401-4. 2006....
- Effect of radiofrequency catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation on left atrial cavity sizeLaurens F Tops
Department of Cardiology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Am J Cardiol 97:1220-2. 2006..However, a tendency toward an increase in LA volumes was observed in the AF group. In conclusion, the results of this study have demonstrated that LA reverse remodeling occurs after successful radiofrequency catheter ablation for AF...
- Techniques, evaluation, and consequences of linear block at the left atrial roof in paroxysmal atrial fibrillation: a prospective randomized studyMeleze Hocini
Hopital Cardiologique du Haut Leveque, Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, Bordeaux, France
Circulation 112:3688-96. 2005..There are no reports describing the technique, electrophysiological evaluation, and clinical consequences of complete linear block at roofline joining the superior pulmonary veins (PVs) in patients with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation (AF)...
- Left atrial structure and function after percutaneous left atrial appendage transcatheter occlusion (PLAATO): six-month echocardiographic follow-upIbrahim R Hanna
Department of Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 43:1868-72. 2004..This study was designed to evaluate the effects of percutaneous left atrial appendage transcatheter occlusion (PLAATO) on the anatomic and hemodynamic properties of the mitral valve (MV) and left upper pulmonary vein (LUPV)...
- Excellent results for atrial fibrillation surgery in the presence of giant left atrium and mitral valve diseaseSuk Jung Choo
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, 388 1 Pungnap dong Songpa gu, Seoul 138 736, South Korea
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 26:336-41. 2004..The purpose of the current study was to investigate the effects of atrial fibrillation surgery on mitral valve disease associated with a giant left atrium (GLA)...
- Normal sinus rhythm without the normal atrial kickMichael E Cain
Heart Rhythm 2:929-30. 2005
- P wave dispersion and left atrial appendage function for predicting recurrence after conversion of atrial fibrillation and relation of p wave dispersion to appendage functionAbdullah Dogan
Department of Cardiology, Medical School, Sevket Demirel Heart Center, Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey
Echocardiography 21:523-30. 2004..We investigated P wave dispersion and left atrial appendage (LAA) function for predicting atrial fibrillation (AF) relapse, and the relationship between P wave dispersion and LAA function...
- Echocardiographic evidence of left atrial abnormality in young patients with lone paroxysmal atrial fibrillationRobert S Phang
Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Cardiol 94:511-3. 2004....
- Atrial contraction after surgical isolation of the left atrial posterior wall concomitant with mitral valve replacementTakenaka Sou
Department of Medicine and Molecular Science, Division of Frontier Medical Science, Programs for Biomedical Research, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima University, Japan
Circ J 68:204-7. 2004..Surgical isolation of the left atrial posterior wall (LA-PW isolation) can terminate chronic atrial fibrillation associated with mitral valve disease. However, atrial contraction after LA-PW isolation has not been evaluated...
- The effect of pharmacological agents on left atrial appendage function in patients with atrial fibrillationDilek Cicek
Anadolu Kardiyol Derg 7:42-3. 2007
- Left atrial appendage-flow velocity predicts cardioversion success in atrial fibrillationBahri Akdeniz
Department of Cardiology, Dokuz Eylul University School of Medicine, Izmir, Turkey
Tohoku J Exp Med 208:243-50. 2006..Therefore, measurement of LAA flow velocity provides valuable information for prediction of cardioversion outcome in patients with atrial fibrillation before TEE guided cardioversion...
- Factor V Leiden mutation and its relation to left atrial thrombus in chronic nonrheumatic atrial fibrillationMustafa Gokce
Department of Cardiology, KTU Faculty of Medicine, Trabzon, Turkey
Jpn Heart J 44:481-91. 2003..Factor V Leiden mutation is not a risk factor for left atrial thrombus formation and spontaneous echo contrast in patients with nonrheumatic atrial fibrillation...
- Left atrial size and function after spontaneous cardioversion of atrial fibrillation and their relation to N-terminal atrial natriuretic peptideAnna Vittoria Mattioli
Department of Cardiology, University of Modena, Via del Pozzo 71, 41100 Modena, Italy
Am J Cardiol 91:1478-81, A8. 2003
- Atrial fibrillation: hypertension as a causative agent, risk factor for complications, and potential therapeutic targetJeff S Healey
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Am J Cardiol 91:9G-14G. 2003..Specific pharmacotherapy could potentially play a major role in the primary and secondary prevention of atrial fibrillation and its complications...
- Comparison of left atrial dimensions by transesophageal and transthoracic echocardiographyMatthew Block
Department of Medicine, California Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 15:143-9. 2002..86; bias 0.37 +/- 1 cm). Overall, TEE underestimated the LA dimension by 9% compared with TTE. These results suggest that the short-axis view at the level of the aortic valve is the preferred site for measuring the LA dimension by TEE...
- [Evaluation of atrial function by echocardiography]Giovanni Di Salvo
G Ital Cardiol (Rome) 8:225-35. 2007..The aim of this review was to summarize the role of atrial function and to explain how echocardiography and new echocardiographic-derived techniques may be of help to better study atrial function...
- Left atrial systolic function in relation to electrical and mechanical remodeling in a canine modelI Zupan
Department of Cardiology, University Medical Centre Ljubljana, Slovenia
Pflugers Arch 442:R195-7. 2001..Mechanical changes are an important substrate of electrical remodeling, yet the deterioration of electrical variables was more pronounced in AP than in VP...
- Strain rate imaging for noninvasive functional quantification of the left atrium in hypertensive patients with paroxysmal atrial fibrillationZhihao Wang
Department of Cardiology, Qilu Hospital of Shandong University, Key Laboratory of Cardiovascular Remodeling and Function Research, Chinese Ministry of Education and Chinese Ministry of Public Health, Ji Nan, China
Cardiology 109:15-24. 2008..We aimed to assess atrial myocardial properties during atrial fibrillation (AF) by myocardial velocity, SR and strain, focusing on the effects of hypertension and atrial arrhythmias, especially paroxysmal AF...
- Left atrial appendage outflow velocity index is superior to conventional criteria for prediction of maintenance of sinus rhythm after cardioversion. An echocardiographic study in patients with atrial fibrillation of a few months' durationA Roijer
Department of Cardiology, University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Scand Cardiovasc J 35:119-24. 2001....
- Augmentation of pulmonary vein backflow velocity during left atrial contraction: a novel phenomenon responsible for progression of atrial fibrillation in hypertensive patientsToru Maruyama
Department of Medicine, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Cardiology 109:33-40. 2008..However, echocardiographic prediction of such progression remains incomplete. This study aimed to identify echocardiographic predictors of AF progression in hypertensive patients...
- The time interval from the initiation of the P-wave to the start of left atrial appendage ejection flow: does it reflect interatrial conduction time?Mustafa Karaca
Cardiology Department, Atakalp Heart Center, No 16 Kahramanlar, Izmir, Turkey
Echocardiography 24:810-5. 2007....
- Serial change in the atrial transport function after the radial incision approachY Ishii
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Nippon Medical School, Tokyo, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 71:572-6. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: The Radial approach prevents thromboembolism by restoring sufficient atrial transport function more effectively and faster than does the Maze...
- Influence of age on left atrial appendage function in patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillationA Ilercil
Division of Cardiology, Echocardiography Laboratory, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461-2373, USA
Clin Cardiol 24:39-44. 2001..These findings may explain the higher thromboembolic rates in older patients with NVAF...
- Multi-modality imaging to assess left atrial size, anatomy and functionLaurens F Tops
Department of Cardiology, Leiden University Medical Centre, The Netherlands
Heart 93:1461-70. 2007..Furthermore, the various imaging modalities that are available for the non-invasive visualisation of the LA will be reviewed. In addition, the role of these imaging techniques in catheter ablation procedures for AF will be discussed...
- [Left atrium diameter: a simple echocardiographic parameter with high prognostic value in heart failure]Elisabet Zamora
Unitat d Insuficiència Cardíaca, Servicio de Cardiologia, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Badalona, Barcelona, Espana
Med Clin (Barc) 129:441-5. 2007....
- Strain rate imaging for functional quantification of the left atrium: atrial deformation predicts the maintenance of sinus rhythm after catheter ablation of atrial fibrillationCarsten Schneider
Department of Cardiology, Asklepios Hospital St Georg, Hamburg, Germany
Eur Heart J 29:1397-409. 2008....
- Effect of left atrial circumferential ablation for atrial fibrillation on left atrial transport functionKristina Lemola
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Heart Rhythm 2:923-8. 2005..The effects of left atrial (LA) circumferential ablation on LA function in patients with atrial fibrillation (AF) have not been well described...
- Validation of transthoracic tissue Doppler assessment of left atrial appendage functionNaoyasu Yoshida
Echocardiography Division, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Hiroshima Prefectural Hospital, Hiroshima, Japan
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 20:521-6. 2007..Among 8 patients with LAWV < or = 1.0 cm/s, cerebral embolism was evident in 3 and LA thrombus in 2, whereas the patients with LAWV greater than 1.0 cm/s had neither. LAWV may be useful to evaluate LA function and risk of embolism...
- Clinical value of left atrial appendage flow velocity for predicting of cardioversion success in patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillationA Palinkas
2nd Department of Medicine and Cardiology Center, Albert Szent Györgyi Medical Faculty, University of Sciences, Szeged, Hungary
Eur Heart J 22:2201-8. 2001..Echocardiographic parameters for predicting cardioversion outcome in patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation are not accurately defined...
- Concomitant recovery of atrial mechanical and endocrine function after cardioversion in patients with persistent atrial fibrillationBeata Wożakowska-Kapłon
Department of Cardiology, Regional District Hospital, ul Grunwaldzka 45, 25 736 Kielce, Poland
J Am Coll Cardiol 41:1716-20. 2003..The purpose of this study was to evaluate left atrial mechanical function recovery and plasma atrial natriuretic peptide (ANP) release following successful cardioversion of persistent atrial fibrillation (AF)...
- Single chamber atrial fibrillation involving only the left atrium: implications for maintenance and radiofrequency ablation therapyMartin R Karch
Deutsches Herzzentrum Munchen, Munich, Germany
Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 26:883-91. 2003..Isolated AF in the LA showed various surface electrocardiographic patterns. It is concluded that LA alone without participation of the RA can sustain AF. These data have implications for mechanisms and the ablative therapy of AF...
- [Thrombus resection in massive left atrial dilation]Frank Breuckmann
Klinik fur Kardiologie, Westdeutsches Herzzentrum Essen, Universitat Duisburg Essen, Essen
Herz 31:485-6. 2006
- Left atrial size after cardioversion for atrial fibrillation: effect of external direct current shockAnna Vittoria Mattioli
Department of Cardiology, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Italy
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 16:271-6. 2003..The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of external direct current (DC) shock on left atrial (LA) dimension and volumes after cardioversion for atrial fibrillation, and the relation between LA size and atrial function...
- Relationship between left atrial appendage function and left atrial thrombus in patients with nonvalvular chronic atrial fibrillation and atrial flutterTatsuyoshi Narumiya
Department of Cardiology, Nihon University Surugadai Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Circ J 67:68-72. 2003..With respect to LAA function, patients with lone AF or AFL are at low risk for thrombus formation...
- Time interval from the initiation of the electrocardiographic P wave to the start of left atrial appendage ejection flow: A novel method for predicting atrial fibrillation recurrenceOzan Kinay
Department of Cardiology, Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 15:1479-84. 2002..Multiple regression analysis revealed no significant differences in LA size parameters, or in clinical and LA mechanical function parameters recorded after restoration of in sinus rhythm between patients with and without AF recurrence...
- Compensatory changes in atrial volumes with normal aging: is atrial enlargement inevitable?Liza Thomas
Department of Cardiology, Westmead Hospital, Darcy Road, Sydney, NSW 2145, Australia
J Am Coll Cardiol 40:1630-5. 2002..The aim of this study was to evaluate left atrial volume and its changes with the phases (active and passive) of atrial filling, and to examine the effect of normal aging on these parameters and pulmonary vein (PV) flow patterns...
- [Influence of age of patients with atrial fibrillation on left atrium function]Tomasz Zapolski
Katedry i Kliniki Kardiologii Akademii Medycznej w Lublinie
Wiad Lek 59:346-51. 2006..The aim of this study was to assess the association between age of patients and selected echocardiographic parameters concerning left atrium...
- Left atrial mechanical function in patients with essential hypertensionMustafa Kemal Erol
Ataturk University Medical School Hospital, Department of Cardiology, Erzurum, Turkey
Acta Cardiol 57:323-7. 2002..This study was carried out to assess the left atrial (LA) mechanical function in patients with essential hypertension with two-dimensional echocardiography by means of left atrial volume measurements...
- Pulmonary venous systolic flow: influence of gravity on pulmonary venous flow velocities assessed in patients with atrial fibrillationYoko Ohta
Cardiovascular Division, Department of Internal Medicine, Shimane Medical University, Izumo, Japan
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 15:1087-93. 2002..We should take into consideration the body position on which PV flow is studied...
- Effect of diltiazem and metoprolol on left atrial appendix functions in patients with nonvalvular chronic atrial fibrillationIlgin Karaca
Department of Cardiology, Medical School, Firat University, Elazig, Turkey
Anadolu Kardiyol Derg 7:37-41. 2007....
- Mother rotors and fibrillatory conduction: a mechanism of atrial fibrillationJOSE JALIFE
Department of Pharmacology, SUNY Upstate Medical University, 766 Irving Avenue, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
Cardiovasc Res 54:204-16. 2002..The work discussed may open potentially exciting new diagnostic and therapeutic possibilities...
- Effects of left ventricular systolic dysfunction on left atrial appendage and left atrial functions in patients with chronic nonvalvular atrial fibrillationMustafa Cemri
Gazi University School of Medicine, Department of Cardiology, Ankara, Turkey
Acta Cardiol 57:101-5. 2002..In this study, we compared the LA and LAA function parameters in patients with chronic nonvalvular atrial fibrillation (AF) with and without LV systolic dysfunction...
- High plasma brain natriuretic polypeptide level as a marker of risk for thromboembolism in patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillationHiromi Shimizu
Fourth Department of Internal Medicine, Shimane Medical University, Shimane, Japan
Stroke 33:1005-10. 2002..The purpose of this study was to assess a possible relationship between LAA function and plasma BNP levels in nonvalvular AF...
- [Spontaneous intracardiac contrast and embolic risk]H Lardoux
Service de cardiologie, , Paris
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 89:451-7. 1996..Therefore, the identification of quantitative markers of spontaneous contrats and new therapeutic antithrombotic protocols remain essential...
- Maternal diastolic dysfunction and left ventricular geometry in gestational hypertensionH Valensise
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and the School of Cardiology, Semeiology, Tor Vergata University, Rome, Italy
Hypertension 37:1209-15. 2001..01). Left atrial function and cardiac output were significantly lower in gestational hypertension (P<0.01)...
- Left atrial function: bridge to central and hormonal determinants of exercise capacity in patients with chronic heart failureM Ceresa
Istituto Scientifico di Montescano, Fondazione Salvatore Maugeri, IRCCS, Italy, Pavia
Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 58:87-94. 2002..We performed this study to investigate the relationship between exercise capacity and diastolic and systolic left atrium function in patients with chronic heart failure...
- The effect of cardiomyoplasty on left atrial function in experimental canine modelsY Ootaki
Department of Surgery, Division II, Kobe University School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
Chest 119:1526-32. 2001..The purpose of the present study was to determine whether cardiomyoplasty impairs the left atrial function and affects ventricular filling.
- Different effects of cardiac resynchronization therapy on left atrial function in patients with either idiopathic or ischaemic dilated cardiomyopathy: a two-dimensional speckle strain studyAntonello D'Andrea
Monaldi Hospital, Second University of Naples, Via G Martucci 35, 80121 Naples, Italy
Eur Heart J 28:2738-48. 2007....
- Effects of digoxin on left atrial function in heart failureJ M Dernellis
Vostanio Hospital, Mytilene, Greece
Heart 89:1308-15. 2003..To investigate the effects of digoxin on left atrial (LA) function in patients with congestive heart failure and dilated left atria...
- Electron beam cine CT-based evaluation of left atrial function after the maze procedure for mitral valve regurgitationMichio Yoshitake
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 16:91-8. 2010..There has been little investigation of whether atrial function is equally restored by surgery in patients with mitral regurgitation (MR) and atrial fibrillation (AF) compared to patients in sinus rhythm (SR)...
- ATRIOVENTRICULAR INTERACTIONS RELATED TO CARDIAC SURGERYPeter Smith; Fiscal Year: 1992..Detailed analysis of left atrial function will be accomplished using ultrasonic dimension transducers, high fidelity intra-cavitary pressure ..
- Diastolic Dysfunction & Atrial Fibrillation in ElderlyTERESA TSANG; Fiscal Year: 2007..Identification of the cascade of factors contributing to AF development will have important implications in primary prevention of this major public health problem. ..
- Cardiac Arrhythmia MechanismsJOSE JALIFE; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Molecular Mechanisms of Ventricular FibrillationJOSE JALIFE; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Acuson Sequoia UltrasonographBrian Hoit; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- MECHANISM OF CHRONIC ALCOHOL INDUCED CARDIOMYOPATHYChe Ping Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies are necessary to extend our knowledge about the mechanism in the development of ADCM and help target therapy for ADCM. ..
- HYPOXIC PULMONARY VASOCANSTRICTION AND RED BLOOD CELLSSteven Deem; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Beta3-Adrenergic Receptor & Progression to Heart FailureChe Ping Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2006..Thus, provide valuable new insight into the mechanism of the progression of functional impairment in CHF, and may assist in specifically targeting therapy for CHF. ..
- COCAINE EXPOSED INFANTS--CARDIAC PROBLEMS AND OUTCOMESudhir Mehta; Fiscal Year: 2001..Therefore, it is crucial to understand the natural history of the cardiovascular abnormalities before measures can be directed toward their treatment and prevention. ..
- The Role of Novel Lim-Domain Proteins in CardiomyopathyRoger Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2008..The insights gained in this research into the pathophysiology of cardiomyopathy will help direct further research and therapeutic interventions for many years to come. ..
- Red Blood Cells, Nitric Oxide and Pulmonary CirculationSteven Deem; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..