Genomes and Genes
Summary: The hemodynamic and electrophysiological action of the HEART ATRIA.
Publications231 found, 100 shown here
- Atrial cell action potential parameter fitting using genetic algorithmsZ Syed
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Med Biol Eng Comput 43:561-71. 2005..This tool can be useful for determining parameters in new AP models, reproducing specific APs, as well as determining the locus of drug action by examining changes in conductance values...
- Left atrial strain measured by two-dimensional speckle tracking represents a new tool to evaluate left atrial functionRoberto M Saraiva
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 23:172-80. 2010..To assess its potential value, the authors addressed whether LA epsilon and SR measured in normal subjects correlates with other Doppler echocardiographic parameters that evaluate LA function and left ventricular function...
- Embryonic atrial function is essential for mouse embryogenesis, cardiac morphogenesis and angiogenesisChengqun Huang
Institute of Molecular Medicine and Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0641, USA
Development 130:6111-9. 2003The requirement for atrial function in developing heart is unknown. To address this question, we have generated mice deficient in atrial myosin light chain 2 (MLC2a), a major structural component of the atrial myofibrillar apparatus...
- Left atrial size: physiologic determinants and clinical applicationsWalter P Abhayaratna
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 47:2357-63. 2006..More data are required with respect to the natural history of LA remodeling in disease, the degree of LA modifiability with therapy, and whether regression of LA size translates into improved cardiovascular outcomes...
- Independent association of left atrial function with exercise capacity in patients with preserved ejection fractionKenya Kusunose
Heart and Vascular Institute, Cleveland Clinic J1 5, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Heart 98:1311-7. 2012..The purpose of this study was to assess the role of LA function in the left ventricular (LV) filling pressure (E/e') response to exercise and exercise tolerance in patients with preserved LV ejection fraction (LVEF)...
- Onset of atrial arrhythmias elicited by autonomic modulation of rabbit sinoatrial node activity: a modeling studyMauricio A Muñoz
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 301:H1974-83. 2011..A heterogeneous response to autonomic innervation, a large myocardial load, and an extensive SAN in the intercaval region are required for neurally induced SAN-triggered reentry...
- An image-based model of atrial muscular architecture: effects of structural anisotropy on electrical activationJichao Zhao
Auckland Bioengineering Institute, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol 5:361-70. 2012..The aims of this study were to characterize surface geometry and myofiber architecture throughout the atrial chambers and to investigate the effects of this structure on atrial activation...
- Key roles of endothelin-1 and p38 MAPK in the regulation of atrial stretch responseRisto Kerkela
Institute of Biomedicine, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Oulu, Finland
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 300:R140-9. 2011..In conclusion, our findings identify the local ET-1 system and p38 MAPK as key regulators of load-induced hypertrophic response in isolated rat atria...
- Altered transient outward current in human atrial myocytes of patients with reduced left ventricular functionJ Schreieck
I Medizinische Klinik, Klinikum rechts der Isar and Klinik für Herzkreislauferkrankungen, Deutsches Herzzentrum, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 11:180-92. 2000..To define whether differences in atrial electrophysiology already are present in patients with increased susceptibility for atrial fibrillation, we compared patients in sinus rhythm with and without heart failure...
- Chronic atrial fibrillation ablation impact on endocrine and mechanical cardiac functionsFrederic Sacher
Service de Rythmologie, Hopital Cardiologique du Haut Leveque, CHU de Bordeaux Université Bordeaux II, Bordeaux Pessac, France
Eur Heart J 29:1290-5. 2008..Assess the impact of persistent/permanent atrial fibrillation (AF) ablation on endocrine and mechanical cardiac functions...
- Clinical and echocardiographic features influencing recovery of atrial function after cardioversion of atrial fibrillationA V Mattioli
Department of Cardiology, University of Modena, Italy
Am J Cardiol 82:1368-71. 1998..The recovery of atrial function was influenced by the mode of cardioversion and the size of the left atrium.
- Left atrial function assessed by Doppler echocardiography rather than left atrial volume predicts recurrence in patients with paroxysmal atrial fibrillationJi Hyun Yoon
Cardiology Division, Heart Center, Gangnam Severance Hospital, Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Clin Cardiol 36:235-40. 2013..Paroxysmal atrial fibrillation (PaAF) may present as a single self-terminating episode of atrial fibrillation (AF) or a more persistent form after sinus conversion. We investigated predictors of recurrence in patients with PaAF...
- Reentry in a morphologically realistic atrial modelE J Vigmond
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana 70118, USA
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 12:1046-54. 2001..4) The openings of the inferior and superior venae cavae form natural anatomic anchors that make reentry easier to initiate by allowing for smaller ectopic beats to induce reentry...
- Is atrial function in Chagas dilated cardiomyopathy more impaired than in idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy?Marcia M Barbosa
Ecocenter, Hospital Socor, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
Eur J Echocardiogr 12:643-7. 2011b>Atrial function is an important component in overall cardiovascular performance. However, information on atrial function in dilated cardiomyopathy is limited...
- A gradient model of cardiac pacemaker myocytesNigel H Lovell
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering, University of New South Wales, Sydney, 2052, NSW, Australia
Prog Biophys Mol Biol 85:301-23. 2004..The gradient model is suitable for developing higher dimensional models of the right atrium, in which action potential heterogeneity within nodal tissue may be readily incorporated...
- Frequency analysis in different types of paroxysmal atrial fibrillationYenn Jiang Lin
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Am Coll Cardiol 47:1401-7. 2006..This study sought to investigate the regional frequency distribution from multiple bi-atrial sites in different types of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation (AF)...
- ACC/AHA/ESC 2006 guidelines for the management of patients with atrial fibrillation: full text: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on practice guidelines and the European Society of Cardiology Committee foValentin Fuster
Europace 8:651-745. 2006
- Assessment of regional atrial function in patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathies using tissue Doppler imagingRagiab Telagh
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, German Heart Institute Berlin, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353, Berlin, Germany
Pediatr Cardiol 29:301-8. 2008This study applied tissue Doppler imaging and color tissue Doppler imaging to study atrial function changes in patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM)...
- C-reactive protein elevation predicts the occurrence of atrial structural remodeling in patients with paroxysmal atrial fibrillationTetsu Watanabe
First Department of Internal Medicine, Yamagata University School of Medicine, 2 2 2 Iida nishi, Yamagata 990 9585, Japan
Heart Vessels 20:45-9. 2005..Thus, it remains unclear whether CRP and the inflammatory state are contributory to LA remodeling or whether LA remodeling or AF induces elevation in CRP and inflammation...
- Genes and atrial fibrillation: a new look at an old problemDiane Fatkin
Sr Bernice Research Program in Inherited Heart Diseases, Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute, Darlinghurst, Australia
Circulation 116:782-92. 2007
- Molecular remodeling of Kv4.3 potassium channels in human atrial fibrillationJ B Grammer
Department of Pharmacology, University of Tubingen, Germany
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 11:626-33. 2000..We investigated the effects of AF on the gene expression of the Kv4.3, Kv1.4, and Kv1.5 potassium channel subunits and correlated the findings with the transient outward (Ito) and the sustained outward (Isus or I(Kur)) potassium current...
- Atrial function after epicardial microwave ablation in patients with atrial fibrillationAnders Ahlsson
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery and Anesthesiology, Orebro University Hospital, Orebro, Sweden
Scand Cardiovasc J 42:192-201. 2008To study epicardial microwave ablation of concomitant atrial fibrillation and its effects on heart rhythm and atrial function during follow-up.
- Mutation of weak atrium/atrial myosin heavy chain disrupts atrial function and influences ventricular morphogenesis in zebrafishEli Berdougo
Developmental Genetics Program and Department of Cell Biology, Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Development 130:6121-9. 2003..These findings are relevant to our understanding of congenital defects in cardiac chamber morphogenesis...
- Two-dimensional echocardiographic methods for assessment of left atrial volumeKeiji Ujino
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Am J Cardiol 98:1185-8. 2006..In conclusion, our findings suggest that there are systematic differences among existing LA volume methods. Biplane area-length and Simpson's methods compare closely, whereas the prolate-ellipsoid method generally yields smaller volumes...
- Atrial function after surgical and percutaneous closure of atrial septal defect: a strain rate imaging studyGiovanni Di Salvo
Physiopathology of the Cardio Respiratory System and Associated Biotechnologies, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 18:930-3. 2005The effect of operation and the effect of the imposition of an occluding device on atrial function for patients with an atrial septal defect (ASD) has never been studied...
- Electroanatomic analysis of sinus impulse propagation in normal human atriaPonti Roberto De
Department of Cardiology Mater Domini, Castellanza, Italy
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 13:1-10. 2002..In this study, qualitative and quantitative analyses of sinus impulse propagation in both atria were performed by electroanatomic mapping in patients with no organic heart disease who were undergoing an electrophysiologic procedure...
- Determination of normal gender-specific left atrial dimensions by cardiovascular magnetic resonance imagingBurkhard Sievers
Department of Cardiology and Angiology, Marienhospital, University of Bochum, Herne, Germany
J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 7:677-83. 2005..We aimed to establish normal values for LAEDD using CMR and a fast gradient-echo sequence with steady-state free precession (SSFP)...
- Improvement of atrial function and atrial reverse remodeling after cardiac resynchronization therapy for heart failureCheuk Man Yu
Li Ka Shing Institute of Health Sciences, Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Prince of Wales Hospital and Institute of Vascular Medicine, S H Ho Cardiovascular and Stroke Centre, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong, China
J Am Coll Cardiol 50:778-85. 2007We sought to examine whether cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT) improves atrial function and induces atrial reverse remodeling.
- Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging assessment of regional and global left atrial function before and after catheter ablation for atrial fibrillationDavid Nori
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Beaumont Hospital, 3601 West Thirteen Mile Road, Royal Oak, MI, 48073, USA
J Interv Card Electrophysiol 26:109-17. 2009..We sought to evaluate the effect that AF ablation procedures has on global and regional wall motion as assessed by cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)...
- Characterisation of the Na, K pump current in atrial cells from patients with and without chronic atrial fibrillationAntony J Workman
Section of Cardiology, Division of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences, University of Glasgow, Royal Infirmary, Glasgow G31 2ER, UK
Cardiovasc Res 59:593-602. 2003....
- Restoration of atrial contractility after surgical cryoablation: clinical, electrical and mechanical resultsGuillermo Reyes
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Hospital Universitario La Princesa, C Diego de Leon 62, 28006 Madrid, Spain
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 9:609-12. 2009..Cryoablation for AF is an effective technique to recover electrocardiographic SR while being able to recover atrial contraction effectiveness...
- Strain rate evaluation of phasic atrial function in hypertensionS Eshoo
Department of Cardiology, Westmead Hospital, Westmead, 2145 NSW, Australia
Heart 95:1184-91. 2009Strain (SI) and strain rate (SR) measure regional myocardial deformation and may be a new technique to assess phasic atrial function.
- High-density mapping of left atrial endocardial activation during sinus rhythm and coronary sinus pacing in patients with paroxysmal atrial fibrillationTimothy R Betts
Wessex Cardiac Centre, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, United Kingdom
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 15:1111-7. 2004..This study was designed to record global high-density maps of left atrial endocardial activation during sinus rhythm and coronary sinus pacing...
- Atrial fibrillation surgery simplified with cryoablation to improve left atrial functionJ W Lee
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan, Seoul, Korea
Ann Thorac Surg 72:1479-83. 2001..The Maze procedure restores atrial fibrillation to normal sinus rhythm. However, concurrent left atrial functional recovery is not always achieved. To address this limitation, a modification using linear cryoablation is described...
- Characterization of left atrial activation in the intact human heartVias Markides
St Mary s Hospital, Imperial College, London, UK
Circulation 107:733-9. 2003..The patterns of activation of the human left atrium (LA), how they relate to atrial myocardial architecture, and their role in arrhythmogenesis remain largely unknown...
- The contribution of ionic currents to changes in refractoriness of human atrial myocytes associated with chronic atrial fibrillationA J Workman
University Department of Medical Cardiology, Royal Infirmary, 10 Alexandra Parade, G31 2ER, Glasgow, UK
Cardiovasc Res 52:226-35. 2001..To investigate changes in human atrial single cell functional electrophysiological properties associated with chronic atrial fibrillation (AF), and the contribution to these of accompanying ion current changes...
- Mechanisms of atrial remodeling and clinical relevanceStanley Nattel
Department of Medicine and Research Center, Montreal Heart Institute and University of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Curr Opin Cardiol 20:21-5. 2005..This paper reviews recent progress in understanding atrial remodeling, as well as the consequent clinical insights into atrial fibrillation pathophysiology and treatment...
- Mechanisms of perpetuation of atrial fibrillation in chronically dilated atriaJens Eckstein
Department of Physiology, Cardiovascular Research Institute, University Maastricht, PO Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Prog Biophys Mol Biol 97:435-51. 2008..This article reviews data suggesting a role of endo-epicardial dissociation in dilated and fibrillating atria, for the self-perpetuating nature of AF as well as its possible implications for therapeutic interventions...
- Sequence of electrical activation, atrial remodelling and atrial fibrillation in patients with nodal re-entrant tachycardiaRadosław Lenarczyk
First Department of Cardiology, Silesian Medical School, Silesian Center for Heart Diseases, Zabrze, Poland
Acta Cardiol 62:599-606. 2007....
- Arrhythmogenic difference between the left and right atria during rapid atrial activation in a canine model of atrial fibrillationShinichi Niwano
Department of Cardio angiology, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara, Japan
Circ J 71:1629-35. 2007..Continuous rapid atrial stimulation causes atrial remodeling, but little is known about the difference in the arrhythmogenicity of the left (LA) and right atria (RA)...
- Electrical remodeling of the atria in congestive heart failure: electrophysiological and electroanatomic mapping in humansPrashanthan Sanders
Department of Cardiology, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Circulation 108:1461-8. 2003..However, the electrophysiological substrate for AF in humans with CHF remains unknown. We evaluated the electrophysiological and electroanatomic characteristics of the atria in patients with CHF...
- Thyroid hormone regulates mRNA expression and currents of ion channels in rat atriumHiroshi Watanabe
Division of Cardiology, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Science, 1 754 Asahimachidori, Niigata, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 308:439-44. 2003..In conclusion, T3 increased the outward currents and decreased the inward currents. The resultant changes of ionic currents shortened APD, providing a substrate for atrial fibrillation...
- A novel approach to restore atrial function after the maze procedure in patients with an enlarged left atriumAkira Marui
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 32:308-12. 2007..However, it is unknown whether the procedures can also restore effective atrial function of the enlarged LA with over-stretched myocardium.
- Basic mechanisms of atrial fibrillationDavid R Van Wagoner
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Cleve Clin J Med 70:S2-5. 2003
- Effect of 60 minutes of rapid atrial pacing on atrial action potential duration in the in-situ canine heartIchiro Watanabe
The Second Department of Medicine, Nihon University School of Medicine, 30 1 Oyaguchi Kami, Itabashi ku, Tokyo 173 8610, Japan
J Interv Card Electrophysiol 8:165-71. 2003....
- Atrial stunning: determinants and cellular mechanismsIjaz A Khan
Division of Cardiology, Creighton University School of Medicine, Omaha, Neb 68131 2044, USA
Am Heart J 145:787-94. 2003..Atrial stunning is a transient depression of atrial and atrial-appendage mechanical function after successful cardioversion of atrial fibrillation compared with its precardioversion state...
- Ionic mechanisms underlying region-specific remodeling of rabbit atrial action potentials caused by intermittent burst stimulationWen Dun
Department of Pharmacology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Heart Rhythm 4:499-507. 2007..In isolated rabbit right or left atrial preparations, a 3-hour intermittent burst pacing protocol shortens action potential duration (APD) in CS and PV, but not in sinus node (SN) and left Bachmann bundle (BB) regions...
- Impedance monitoring during catheter ablation of atrial fibrillationMarmar Vaseghi
UCLA Cardiac Arrhythmia Center, Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Heart Rhythm 2:914-20. 2005..A sudden decrease in impedance as the catheter is moved from the vein into the left atrium (LA) has been used to define the pulmonary vein-LA transition during ablation procedures...
- Atrial electrophysiology and mechanisms of atrial fibrillationStanley Nattel
Research Center, Montreal Heart Institute, Montreal, Canada
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther 8:S5-11. 2003..It is hoped that this improved mechanistic understanding will lead to the development of improved therapeutic options...
- Reinduction of atrial fibrillation immediately after termination of the arrhythmia is mediated by late phase 3 early afterdepolarization-induced triggered activityAlexander Burashnikov
Masonic Medical Research Laboratory, 2150 Bleecker St, Utica, NY 13501, USA
Circulation 107:2355-60. 2003....
- Experimental and clinical AF mechanisms: bridging the divideJOSE JALIFE
SUNY Upstate Medical University, 766 Irving Avenue, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
J Interv Card Electrophysiol 9:85-92. 2003....
- Simultaneous right atrioventricular pacing: a novel model to study atrial remodeling and fibrillation in the setting of heart failureGabriel Laurent
Division of Cardiology, University of Toronto and Terrence Donnelly Cardiovascular Laboratories, St Michael s Hospital, Ontario, Canada
J Card Fail 14:254-62. 2008..Atrial remodeling is a key substrate for the development of AF in HF. However, experimental models that study AF in the setting of HF have important limitations. We evaluated a new dog model of atrial remodeling and AF...
- Temporal patterns of progression and regression of electrical and mechanical remodeling of the atriumOsamu Kinebuchi
Cardiology Division, Department of Medicine, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku, 160 8582 Tokyo, Japan
Int J Cardiol 98:91-8. 2005..We evaluated serial changes of electrical and mechanical parameters of atrial remodeling in dogs subjected to rapid atrial pacing...
- Age- and sex-related atrial electrophysiologic and structural changesXiao Ke Liu
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Cardiol 94:373-5. 2004..It was concluded that LA size is greater in the elderly and in men, which may increase their risk for AF...
- Electrophysiologic and electroanatomic changes in the human atrium associated with agePeter M Kistler
Department of Cardiology, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia
J Am Coll Cardiol 44:109-16. 2004..The purpose of this study was to characterize the pattern of atrial remodeling seen with human aging...
- On the atrial response to focal discharges in manHemanth Ramanna
Heart Lung Center Utrecht, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 15:629-36. 2004....
- Atrial ablation for the surgical treatment of atrial fibrillation: principles and limitationsJoao Q Melo
SantaCruz Hospital, Carnaxide, Portugal
J Card Surg 19:207-10. 2004..Finally, atrial contractility is addressed, and the authors conclude that the ideal procedure will achieve a balance between conversion to normal sinus rhythm and the preservation of atrial contractility...
- Diadenosine-5-phosphate exerts A1-receptor-mediated proarrhythmic effects in rabbit atrial myocardiumB Brandts
Department of Cardiology and Angiology, University Hospital Heme, Ruhr University Bochum, Germany
Br J Pharmacol 139:1265-72. 2003..An influence on atrial electrophysiology or a facilitation of atrial fibrillation under conditions resulting in increased interstitial Ap(5)A concentrations might be of physiological/pathophysiological relevance...
- Electrophysiological characterization of cardiac veins in humansDavid A Cesario
UCLA Cardiac Arrhythmia Center, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles CA
J Interv Card Electrophysiol 10:241-7. 2004..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the electrical activity of the coronary sinus (CS), great cardiac vein (GCV) and related structures, such as the Vein of Marshall (VOM)...
- [Molecular basis of remodelling in atrial fibrillation]D Dobrev
Institut fur Pharmakologie und Toxikologie, Medizinische Fakultät der Technischen Universität Dresden
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 129:827-30. 2004
- Map-guided surgery for atrial fibrillationTakashi Nitta
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Nippon Medical School, Tokyo, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 129:291-9. 2005..We sought to determine whether intraoperative mapping is beneficial for the surgical treatment of atrial fibrillation...
- Permanent left atrial pacing: a 2-year follow-up of coronary sinus leadsIntisar Mirza
John Radcliffe Hospital Oxford, Maidstone General Hospital Kent Guy s and St Thomas Hospital London, The United Kingdom
Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 27:314-7. 2004..The trends seen at both sites for chronic changes in pacing characteristics are analogous to those described for endocardial leads at other sites...
- Concurrent multiple left atrial focal activations with fibrillatory conduction and right atrial focal or reentrant activation as the mechanism in atrial fibrillationTakashi Nitta
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Nippon Medical School, 1 1 5 Sendagi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8603, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 127:770-8. 2004..We examined the atrial activation during atrial fibrillation to validate the rationale behind simplified surgical procedures...
- Pilot study: Noninvasive monitoring of oral flecainide's effects on atrial electrophysiology during persistent human atrial fibrillation using the surface electrocardiogramDaniela Husser
Department of Cardiology, University Hospital Magdeburg, Magdeburg, Germany
Ann Noninvasive Electrocardiol 10:206-10. 2005....
- Atrial septal pacing to resynchronize atrial contraction and improve atrial transport functionHidekazu Miyazaki
Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo
J Cardiol 45:239-46. 2005..This study examined whether this pacing method will lead to resynchronization of atrial contraction and its benefit on hemodynamic function can be maintained for 24 months...
- Hemodynamic effects of alternative atrial pacing sites in patients with paroxysmal atrial fibrillationAlicja Dabrowska-Kugacka
II Dept of Cardiology, Medical University of Gdansk, Kieturakisa 1, 80 742 Gdansk, Poland
Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 26:278-83. 2003....
- Atrial fibrillation: basic mechanisms, remodeling and triggersAkiko Shiroshita-Takeshita
Research Center, Montreal Heart Institute and University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Interv Card Electrophysiol 13:181-93. 2005
- Congenital atrial standstill associated with coinheritance of a novel SCN5A mutation and connexin 40 polymorphismsNaomasa Makita
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
Heart Rhythm 2:1128-34. 2005..Incomplete penetrance observed in atrial standstill has been attributed in part to the digenic inheritance of polymorphisms in the atrial-specific gap junction connexin 40 (Cx40) in conjunction with an SCN5A mutation...
- Electrical, contractile and structural remodeling during atrial fibrillationMaurits Allessie
Department of Physiology, Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht, University of Maastricht, P O Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Cardiovasc Res 54:230-46. 2002..The recent finding that AF itself produces changes in atrial function and structure has provided a possible explanation for the progressive nature of this arrhythmia...
- [Morphological remodeling in atrial fibrillation]Andreas Goette
Klinik fur Kardiologie, Angiologie und Pneumologie, Otto von Guericke Universitätsklinik, Magdeburg
Herz 31:101-7; quiz 142-3. 2006..This highly interesting methodology may be helpful to restore electrical conduction in fibrotic cardiac tissue...
- Effect of acute atrial fibrillation on phasic coronary blood flow pattern and flow reserve in humansG E Kochiadakis
Cardiology Department, University Hospital of Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Eur Heart J 23:734-41. 2002..To assess the effect of experimentally induced atrial fibrillation on coronary flow in humans...
- Importance of right and left atrial dilation and linear ablation for perpetuation of sustained atrial fibrillationMarkus Zarse
Department of Physiology, Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht CARIM, Maastricht University, The Netherlands
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 13:164-71. 2002....
- Age-dependent atrial remodeling induced by recombinant human interleukin-11: implications for atrial flutter/fibrillationJiang Xu
MCP Hahnemann University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19102 1192, USA
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 39:435-40. 2002..It was concluded that rhIL-11 induces age-dependent atrial remodeling manifested by atrial stretch and reduced atrial refractoriness, which favor AF. Na retention is the most likely mechanism underlying this effect of rhIL-11...
- Posterior left atrial-esophageal relationship throughout the cardiac cycleJasbir Sra
Electrophysiology Laboratories, Aurora Sinai St Luke s Medical Centers, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health Milwaukee Clinical Campus, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
J Interv Card Electrophysiol 16:73-80. 2006..Radiofrequency energy delivered throughout the cardiac cycle has the potential to cause thermal injury to the esophagus if the anatomical relationship between the posterior left atrium and the esophagus changes during cardiac motion...
- Electrical remodeling in atrial fibrillationDobromir Dobrev
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Dresden University of Technology, Dresden, Germany
Herz 31:108-12; quiz 142-3. 2006....
- Atrial electrical and structural abnormalities in an ovine model of chronic blood pressure elevation after prenatal corticosteroid exposure: implications for development of atrial fibrillationPeter M Kistler
Department of Cardiology, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne 3050, Australia
Eur Heart J 27:3045-56. 2006..We aimed to characterize the atrial electrical and structural changes in a chronic ovine model of EBP after prenatal corticosteroid exposure...
- Heterogeneous three-dimensional anatomical and electrophysiological model of human atriaGunnar Seemann
Institute of Biomedical Engineering, University Karlsruhe TH, Kaiserstrasse 12, 76128 Karlsruhe, Germany
Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci 364:1465-81. 2006..Repolarization is more homogeneous than excitation due to the heterogeneous distribution of electrophysiological properties and hence the action potential duration...
- A computer model of human atria with reasonable computation load and realistic anatomical propertiesO Blanc
Signal Processing Laboratory, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 48:1229-37. 2001..Such details are difficult or impossible to study in humans. This model will serve us as a tool to evaluate the impact of new therapeutic strategies and to improve them...
- Mechanisms of cardiac arrhythmias: focus on atrial fibrillationM R Rosen
Departments of Pharmacology and Pediatrics, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
J Gend Specif Med 4:37-47. 2001..He emphasizes the changes that occur in the atrium as a result of rapid rate and/or fibrillation and the interdependence of AF and changes in myocardial structure...
- Remodeling of atrial dimensions and emptying function in canine models of atrial fibrillationY Shi
Department of Medicine, Montreal Heart Institute and University of Montreal, 5000 Belanger Street East, Montreal, Quebec, H1T 1C8, Canada
Cardiovasc Res 52:217-25. 2001..Whereas in ATR, electrophysiological remodeling is of prime importance in AF promotion, structural remodeling (as reflected in changes in atrial size and contraction) appears much more important in HF-induced AF...
- Changes in activation sequence of embryonic chick atria correlate with developing myocardial architectureDavid Sedmera
Laboratory of Cardiovascular Morphogenesis, Institute of Animal Physiology and Genetics, Videnska 1083, 142 20 Prague 4 Krc, Czech Republic
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 291:H1646-52. 2006..The purpose of these preferential pathways appears to be to assure synchronous atrial activation and contraction rather than rapid impulse conduction between the sinoatrial and atrioventricular nodes...
- Mechanoelectric feedback leads to conduction slowing and block in acutely dilated atria: a modeling study of cardiac electromechanicsNico H L Kuijpers
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Eindhoven University of Technology, PO Box 513, 5600 MB, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 292:H2832-53. 2007..Our observations are in agreement with experimental results and explain the large differences in intra-atrial conduction, as well as the increased inducibility of atrial fibrillation in acutely dilated atria...
- Future concepts in P wave morphological analysesPolychronis E Dilaveris
Department of Cardiology, Hippokration Hospital, Athens, Greece
Card Electrophysiol Rev 6:221-4. 2002..The feasibility of the surface ECG to detect the presence of an abnormal electrophysiological substrate in the atrial myocardium as well as to localize ectopic atrial rhythms will be enhanced by use of P wave morphological analysis...
- Pacing-induced spontaneous activity in myocardial sleeves of pulmonary veins after treatment with ryanodineHaruo Honjo
Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, Nagoya University, Nagoya 464 8601, Japan
Circulation 107:1937-43. 2003....
- Interatrial electrical connections: the precise location and preferential conductionShun ichiro Sakamoto
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Nippon Medical School, Tokyo, Japan
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 16:1077-86. 2005..However, the number, location, and preferential connections of the interatrial conduction related to the site of activation have not been examined yet...
- Molecular mechanisms of remodeling in human atrial fibrillationBianca J J M Brundel
Department of Radiation and Stress Cell Biology, University of Groningen, A Deusinglaan 1, P O Box 30 001, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
Cardiovasc Res 54:315-24. 2002..However, such early protection occurs at the expense of electrophysiological changes that promote the long-term maintenance of AF...
- Electrical and structural remodeling: role in the genesis and maintenance of atrial fibrillationBas A Schoonderwoerd
Department of Cardiology, Thoraxcenter, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, RB Groningen, The Netherlands
Prog Cardiovasc Dis 48:153-68. 2005..Both lead to changes in atrial function and structure, an array of processes known as atrial remodeling...
- Heterogeneous pulmonary vein myocardial cell repolarization implications for reentry and triggered activityYasushi Miyauchi
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California, USA
Heart Rhythm 2:1339-45. 2005..However, systematic single-cell microelectrode recordings from different regions in intact PV-atrial tissues are lacking...
- Electrophysiologic actions of dl-sotalol in patients with persistent atrial fibrillationHung Fat Tse
Cardiology Division, Department of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, China
J Am Coll Cardiol 40:2150-5. 2002..We sought to determine the electrophysiologic actions of sotalol in the remodeled atrium of humans...
- Effect of electrical and structural remodeling on spatiotemporal organization in acute and persistent atrial fibrillationJoseph G Akar
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Virginia Health Sciences Center, Charlottesville 22908, USA
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 13:1027-34. 2002..Atrial fibrillation (AF) may originate from discrete sites of periodic activity. We studied the effect of structural and electrical remodeling on spatiotemporal organization in acute and persistent AF...
- Atrial natriuretic peptide has dose-dependent, autonomically mediated effects on atrial refractoriness and repolarization in anesthetized dogsBruce S Stambler
Department of Medicine, McGuire Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia, USA
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 16:1341-7. 2005....
- Driver regions in atrial fibrillation associated with congestive heart failure: where are they, and what are they telling us?Stanley Nattel
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 16:1359-61. 2005
- Prednisone prevents atrial fibrillation promotion by atrial tachycardia remodeling in dogsAkiko Shiroshita-Takeshita
Department of Medicine and Research Center, Montreal Heart Institute and University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Cardiovasc Res 69:865-75. 2006..This study evaluated the efficacy of anti-inflammatory and calcineurin-inhibitory drugs on promotion of atrial fibrillation by atrial tachycardia-induced remodeling in dogs...
- Internal atrial shock delivery by standard diagnostic electrophysiology catheters in goats: effects on atrial electrogram amplitude and tissue architectureM C E F Wijffels
Department of Cardiology, Leiden University Medical Centre, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Europace 9:203-7. 2007..In this study, we evaluated the effects of atrial shock delivered via diagnostic electrophysiology catheters...
- [Assessment of right atrial and ventricular function by radionuclide ventriculography using continuous infusion of 81mKr]T Shogase
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Hokkaido University, School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
Hokkaido Igaku Zasshi 66:122-34. 1991..4) To assess the right atrial function, right atrial volume curve was measured in 10 normal volunteers, 32 patients with OMI and 4 patients with PPH...
- [Pulmonary wedge pressure and heart frequency measurements during standardized treadmill exercise for extension of left atrial function diagnosis in warmblood horses]H Gehlen
Klinik fur Pferde, Tierrztliche Hochschule Hannover
Dtsch Tierarztl Wochenschr 110:280-5. 2003..Between left atrial size and pulmonary wedge pressure a statistical weak correlation could be observed up to a treadmill velocity of 6 and 7 m/s...
- Maternal diastolic dysfunction and left ventricular geometry in gestational hypertensionH Valensise
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and the School of Cardiology, Semeiology, Tor Vergata University, Rome, Italy
Hypertension 37:1209-15. 2001..01). Left atrial function and cardiac output were significantly lower in gestational hypertension (P<0.01)...
- Assessment of systolic and diastolic left ventricular and left atrial function using vector velocity imaging in Takotsubo cardiomyopathyManjula V Burri
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35249, USA
Echocardiography 25:1138-44. 2008..Longitudinal LA dysfunction may also be present...
- Fate of left atrial function as determined by real-time three-dimensional echocardiography study after radiofrequency catheter ablation for the treatment of atrial fibrillationVictoria Delgado
Cardiology Department, Thorax Institute, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Cardiol 101:1285-90. 2008....
- Left atrial function: bridge to central and hormonal determinants of exercise capacity in patients with chronic heart failureM Ceresa
Istituto Scientifico di Montescano, Fondazione Salvatore Maugeri, IRCCS, Italy, Pavia
Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 58:87-94. 2002..We performed this study to investigate the relationship between exercise capacity and diastolic and systolic left atrium function in patients with chronic heart failure...
- Hemodynamic change in transmitral gradient during Valsalva maneuver and its relation with left atrial function, functional capacity, and pulmonary artery pressure in patients with mitral stenosis in sinus rhythmOzcan Ozeke
Yuksek Ihtisas Hospital, Department of Cardiology, Ankara, Turkey
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 19:1245-50. 2006..between the degree of the hemodynamic changes in transmitral gradient (TG) in response to Valsalva maneuver and functional status, systolic pulmonary artery pressure, and left atrial function in patients with MS in sinus rhythm.
- Mechanisms regulating SR Ca2+ ATPase in the AtriaMuthu Periasamy; Fiscal Year: 2012..Aim III will test the hypothesis that alterations in SLN to SERCA ratio will affect atrial function and predispose the atria to develop atrial pathology including atrial fibrillation upon increased load or ..
- Impact of Atrial Fibrillation and Surgical Ablation on Atrial FunctionJASON OWEN ROBERTSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..The second part of this proposal will test the effect of each of the individual CM IV lesion sets on atrial function in the same swine model of persistent AF...
- The Contribution of Melanocyte-like Cells to Atrial Function and DevelopmentVickas V Patel; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- SURGICAL TREATMENT OF CARDIAC ARRHYTHMIASRalph J Damiano; Fiscal Year: 2013..To develop accurate techniques to evaluate the consequences of AF and surgical ablation on left and right atrial function, both experimentally and clinically...
- Aging and atrial fibrillation: the role of atrial myocyte cytosolic Ca2+ dynamicsMatthew Betzenhauser; Fiscal Year: 2012..This suggests that age-dependent modifications of atrial function can cause AF...
- ELECTROPHYSIOLOGY OF RIGHT ATRIAL PACEMAKERSSTEPHEN LIPSIUS; Fiscal Year: 2000..Although cholinergic stimulation exerts antiarrhythmic effects on atrial function, it also generates atrial dysrhythmias, the mechanisms of which are not known...
- ATRIOVENTRICULAR INTERACTIONS RELATED TO CARDIAC SURGERYPeter Smith; Fiscal Year: 1992..Detailed analysis of left atrial function will be accomplished using ultrasonic dimension transducers, high fidelity intra-cavitary pressure ..
- Physiological impacts of atrial fibrillation surgeryROCHUS VOELLER; Fiscal Year: 2006..treatments of atrial fibrillation (AF) such as the Maze and Radial procedures is the preservation of normal atrial function. However, knowledge of normal and abnormal atrial function is sparse, and the techniques to accurately ..
- The Pathophysiology of T-wave AlternansSanjiv Narayan; Fiscal Year: 2005..This structured approach will ensure the successful completion of this project and, in this way, the development of the applicant into an independent clinician-investigator. ..
- Oxidative Stress and Atrial FibrillationDAVID VAN WAGONER; Fiscal Year: 2004..stress modulates the activity of several ion channels (Ca, K, and ryanodine receptor) important for normal atrial function. In preliminary studies, we have demonstrated that rapid pacing of canine atria results in increased ..
- SYMPATHETIC FUNCTION IN DIABETESDavid C Randall; Fiscal Year: 2010..parasympathetic dysfunction) and easier and less expensive to obtain. The results of these experiments will thereby help develop better clinical approaches to the control and management of diabetic autonomic neuropathy. ..
- CA2+-MEDIATED MECHANISMS OF ATRIAL PACEMAKER ACTIVITYSTEPHEN LIPSIUS; Fiscal Year: 2004..It is expected that the results gained from these studies will provide fundamental insight into the cellular mechanisms governing normal and abnormal atrial pacemaker function. ..
- Beta-Adrenergic Receptor Function in Atrial MyocytesSTEPHEN LIPSIUS; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Acuson Sequoia UltrasonographBrian Hoit; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- REGULATION OF CALCIUM CURRENT IN ATRIAL CELLSRONALD JOYNER; Fiscal Year: 2002..5) The maintained responsiveness of adult atrial ICa,L to cGMP compared to ventricular cells is a consequence of 2 phosphorylation sites, which as phosphorylated independently by PKG and PKA. ..
- Adiponectin and Cardiovascular Disease in the CKiD ChildrenMark Mitsnefes; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Arterial baroreceptor unloading causes hypertensionTERRY THRASHER; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies will provide a new framework for understanding the development and maintenance of hypertension. ..
- Calcium Current in Human Atrial MyocytesRONALD JOYNER; Fiscal Year: 2008..Previous animal studies have indicated various developmental changes in cardiac cells. We will specifically study human postnatal developmental changes in Ito regulation of ICa and intracellular Ca2+ transients. ..
- Altered Myocardial Fatty Acid Metabolism in ObesityLinda Peterson; Fiscal Year: 2007..Such information will form the basis for more targeted studies designed to elucidate the mechanisms responsible for these abnormalities and potentially result in significant clinical benefit for humans with AO. ..
- Cardiac disease in children with chronic renal failureMark Mitsnefes; Fiscal Year: 2006..Thus, the long-term goal will be to decrease the incidence and prevalence of cardiovascular disease in young adults who developed chronic renal disease during childhood. ..
- Cardiac Arrhythmia MechanismsJOSE JALIFE; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- CARDIAC EXCITATION AND ARRHYTHMIASYoram Rudy; Fiscal Year: 2008..4) To study the properties and repolarization-dependent mechanisms of arrhythmias in the remodeled myocardium post myocardial infarction. ..
- INVERSE AND FORWARD PROBLEMS IN ELECTROCARDIOGRAPHYYoram Rudy; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Iron and AtherosclerosisSubha Raman; Fiscal Year: 2006..Subgroup analyses will include comparison of the presence of iron symptomatic versus asymptomatic patients and women versus age-matched men. ..
- Role of IGF-1 In Diastolic Dysfunction of AgingLeanne Groban; Fiscal Year: 2003..This study will provide the groundwork for future studies examining how IGF-1 signaling may modulate the programming and gene expression of the senescent myocardium. ..
- Molecular Mechanisms of Ventricular FibrillationJOSE JALIFE; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..