Genomes and Genes
Summary: Ability of ERYTHROCYTES to change shape as they pass through narrow spaces, such as the microvasculature.
Publications240 found, 100 shown here
- Erythrocyte deformability is a nitric oxide-mediated factor in decreased capillary density during sepsisR M Bateman
Departments of Medical Biophysics, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario N6A 5B8, Canada
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 280:H2848-56. 2001b>Erythrocyte deformability has been recognized as a determinant of microvascular perfusion...
- Erythrocyte deformability and its variation in diabetes mellitusSehyun Shin
School of Mechanical Engineering, Kyungpook National University, Daegu 702 701, Korea
Indian J Exp Biol 45:121-8. 2007b>Erythrocyte deformability improves blood flow in the microvessels and in large arteries at high shear rate. The major determinants of RBC deformability include cell geometry, cell shape and internal viscosity (i.e...
- Connections between single-cell biomechanics and human disease states: gastrointestinal cancer and malariaS Suresh
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, and Division of Bioengineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139 4307, USA
Acta Biomater 1:15-30. 2005..Some general perspectives on connections among structure, single-cell mechanical properties and biological responses associated with pathogenic processes are also provided in the context of the two diseases considered in this work...
- Effects of nitric oxide on red blood cell deformabilityMelek Bor-Kucukatay
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Akdeniz University, Antalya, 07070 Turkey
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 284:H1577-84. 2003..These results thus indicate the importance of NO as a determinant of RBC mechanical behavior and suggest its regulatory role for normal RBC deformability...
- Hemorheological parameters as determinants of myocardial tissue hematocrit valuesO K Baskurt
Department of Physiology, Akdeniz University Faculty of Medicine, Antalya, Turkey
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 35:45-50. 2006....
- Reductions of erythrocyte membrane viscoelastic coefficients reflect spectrin deficiencies in hereditary spherocytosisR E Waugh
Department of Biophysics, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, New York 14642
J Clin Invest 81:133-41. 1988..These studies document striking relationships between partial deficiencies of erythrocyte spectrin and specific viscoelastic properties of the mutant membranes...
- Quantitative assessment of sensing and sequestration of spherocytic erythrocytes by the human spleenInnocent Safeukui
Institut Pasteur, Unité d Immunologie Moléculaire des Parasites, Departement de Parasitologie Mycologie, Paris, France
Blood 120:424-30. 2012..These results have significant implications for understanding the clinical heterogeneity of RBC membrane disorders...
- Data reduction methods for ektacytometry in clinical hemorheologyOguz K Baskurt
Koc University School of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 54:99-107. 2013..We thus conclude that the SS1/2/EImax ratio can be used when reporting and comparing various populations of RBC or cells obtained from subjects having different clinical states...
- Calpain-1 knockout reveals broad effects on erythrocyte deformability and physiologyAdam Wieschhaus
Department of Molecular Physiology and Pharmacology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Biochem J 448:141-52. 2012..The calpain-1 gene deletion results in improved erythrocyte deformability without any measurable effect on erythrocyte lifespan in vivo...
- Damage to the structure of erythrocyte plasma membranes in patients with type-2 hypercholesterolemiaMaria Koter
Department of Environment Pollution Biophysics, University of Lodz, 12 16 Banacha St, 90 347, Lodz, Poland
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 36:205-15. 2004..The study involved 60 hypercholesterolemic patients and 30 healthy individuals as the control group...
- The Laser-assisted Optical Rotational Cell Analyzer (LORCA) as red blood cell aggregometerM R Hardeman
Laboratory for Clinical Hemorheology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 25:1-11. 2001..It can be concluded that the aggregometer mode of the LORCA considerably increases the feasibility of this instrument for hemorheological investigations...
- Short-term effect of the HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor rosuvastatin on erythrocyte nitric oxide synthase activityBarbara Ludolph
Department of Medicine, Medical Clinic I, University Hospital RTWH Aachen, Germany
Vasc Health Risk Manag 3:1069-73. 2007..This NO dependent effect of rosuvastatin might have an important influence on microcirculation and may offer new perspectives for the therapeutic use of statins...
- The sensing of poorly deformable red blood cells by the human spleen can be mimicked in vitroGuillaume Deplaine
Unité d Immunologie Moléculaire des Parasites, Departement de Parasitologie Mycologie, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Blood 117:e88-95. 2011..This experimental approach may contribute to a better understanding of the role of the spleen in the pathogenesis of inherited and acquired RBC disorders...
- The role of reduced red cell deformability in the pathogenesis of severe falciparum malaria and its restoration by blood transfusionA M Dondorp
Department of Infectious Diseases, Tropical Medicine and AIDS, Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 96:282-6. 2002..RCD can be improved by blood transfusion. Since severely reduced RCD has a strong predictive value for mortality, blood transfusion possibly improves disease outcome not only through its beneficial effect on anaemia but also on RCD...
- Maximal exercise and lactate do not change red blood cell aggregation in well trained athletesPhilippe Connes
UPRES EA 3596 ACTES, Universite des Antilles et de la Guyane, Campus de Fouillole, 97159 Pointe a Pitre, Guadeloupe
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 36:319-26. 2007..Py, C. Préfaut, J. Mercier, J.F. Brun and C. Caillaud, Opposite effects of in vitro lactate on erythrocyte deformability in athletes and untrained subjects, Clin. Hemorheol. Microcirc. 31 (2004), 311-318)...
- Parameterization of red blood cell elongation index--shear stress curves obtained by ektacytometryOguz K Baskurt
Department of Physiology, Akdeniz University, Faculty of Medicine, Antalya, Turkey
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 69:777-88. 2009..001% and 0.003% GA and 40% rigid, with the SB better for 0.005% GA and the LB better for 10% rigid...
- Quantification of the erythrocyte deformability using atomic force microscopy: correlation study of the erythrocyte deformability with atomic force microscopy and hemorheologyXianxian Chen
The First Affiliated Hospital, Jinan University, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 43:243-51. 2009..Blood samples were taken from 5 diabetes mellitus patients and 5 healthy non-obese people. The erythrocyte deformability was detected by AFM and the hemorheology test, respectively. Excellent correlation (r=0.907, p=0...
- Exercise hemorheology: classical data, recent findings and unresolved issuesPhilippe Connes
UMR Inserm U665, Universite des Antilles et de la Guyane, Pointe a Pitre, Guadeloupe
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 53:187-99. 2013..Finally, this review focuses on the effects of exercise training (i.e. chronic physical activity) on the hemorheological profile of healthy individuals and patients with cardiovascular and metabolic disorders...
- Opposite effects of in vitro lactate on erythrocyte deformability in athletes and untrained subjectsPhilippe Connes
UPRES EA 701 Physiologie des Interactions, Hopital Arnaud de Villeneuve, Service EFR, 34295 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 31:311-8. 2004..05). Thus, it seems that endurance training influences erythrocyte response to lactate. Lactate impaired erythrocyte deformability in untrained subjects but it (unexpectedly) improved it in trained subjects...
- Modulation of erythrocyte deformability by PKC activitySofia de Oliveira
Instituto de Bioquimica, Unidade Biologia Microvascular e Inflamacao, Instituto de Medicina Moecular, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Lisboa, Lisboa, Portugal
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 39:363-73. 2008..between membrane, peripheral and cytoskeleton proteins are responsible for the maintenance of erythrocyte deformability (EEI) and some of these interactions are modulated by PKC activity...
- A multiscale red blood cell model with accurate mechanics, rheology, and dynamicsDmitry A Fedosov
Division of Applied Mathematics, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Biophys J 98:2215-25. 2010..Our findings clearly indicate that a purely elastic model for the membrane cannot accurately represent the RBC's rheological properties and its dynamics, and therefore accurate modeling of a viscoelastic membrane is necessary...
- Time course of hemorheological alterations after heavy anaerobic exercise in untrained human subjectsOzlem Yalcin
Department of Physiology, Akdeniz University School of Medicine, and School of Physical Education and Sports, Akdeniz University, Antalya, Turkey 07070
J Appl Physiol 94:997-1002. 2003....
- Adenosine transport, erythrocyte deformability and microvascular dysfunction: an unrecognized potential role for dipyridamole therapyJignesh Bhavsar
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 44:193-205. 2010..In addition, it has anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that provide protection to the microvasculature. This review discusses the potential role for dipyridamole therapy in the treatment of microvascular dysfunction...
- On-chip erythrocyte deformability test under optical pressureWon Gu Lee
School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Seoul National University, San 56 1 Shinlim, Kwanak, Seoul 151 742, South Korea
Lab Chip 7:516-9. 2007This paper presents a novel method for an on-chip erythrocyte deformability test under optical pressure, especially to enhance the level of sensitivity with respect to the detection of cancerous diseases...
- Ethanol improves decreased filterability of human red blood cells through modulation of intracellular signaling pathwaysT Oonishi
NTT Medical Research Institute, Kanto Teishin Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 24:352-6. 2000..We examined the effect of ethanol on deformability at the physiologically achievable concentrations...
- Effects of acetylcholine and spermineNONOate on erythrocyte hemorheologic and oxygen carrying propertiesR Mesquita
Institute of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Lisbon, Av Prof Egas Moniz, 1649 028 Lisbon, Portugal
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 25:153-63. 2001..To determine the effects of acetylcholine and spermineNONOate--a NO donor--on RBC membrane and oxygen carrying properties...
- Effect of ethanol on hemorheology in patients with ischemic cerebrovascular disease and elderly healthy menY Nagai
5th Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Fukuoka University, 7 45 1 Nanakuma, Jonan ku, Fukuoka City 814 0180, Japan
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 25:135-44. 2001..It is considered that ethanol ingestion could has bad influences for the microcirculation in patients with ischemic cerebrovascular disease...
- In vitro hemorheological effects of red wine and alcohol-free red wine extractM Rabai
Department of Medicine, University of Pecs Medical School, Pecs, Hungary
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 44:227-36. 2010..LORCA aggregation index and threshold shear rate supported these results at the highest concentration. Erythrocyte deformability of healthy volunteers did not change significantly for any concentrations of red wine and AFRW...
- Is hemoglobin desaturation related to blood viscosity in athletes during exercise?P Connes
UPRES EA 2991 Sport, Performance et Santé, Montpellier, France
Int J Sports Med 25:569-74. 2004..Whether this could impair the blood gas barrier and result in exercise-induced hypoxemia requires further study...
- Protective effect of alpha-tocotrienol against free radical-induced impairment of erythrocyte deformabilityAynun Nahar Begum
Department of Nutrition, School of Medicine, The University of Tokushima, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 66:398-403. 2002..This study was done to estimate the effect of alpha-T3 on free radical-induced impairment of erythrocyte deformability by comparing it to alpha-tocopherol (alpha-T)...
- Reciprocal relationships between blood lactate and hemorheology in athletes: another hemorheologic paradox?Emmanuelle Varlet-Marie
Laboratoire de Pharmacocinetique Clinique, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite Montpellier I, France
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 30:331-7. 2004..While lactate did not in vitro affect erythrocyte aggregation, it impaired (as expected) erythrocyte deformability in sedentary subjects but it (unexpectedly) improved it in trained subjects...
- Role of erythrocyte deformability during capillary wettingRonghui Zhou
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Illinois 46556, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 93:201-11. 2006..This tightly packed slug had a high hydrodynamic resistance that could arrest the penetrating flow of concentrated suspensions into the small capillaries...
- Simulations of the erythrocyte cytoskeleton at large deformation. II. Micropipette aspirationD E Discher
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104 6315, USA
Biophys J 75:1584-97. 1998....
- Assessment of oxidant susceptibility of red blood cells in various species based on cell deformabilityMichael J Simmonds
Faculty of Health Sciences and Medicine, Bond University, Gold Coast, Australia
Biorheology 48:293-304. 2011..These differences in susceptibility are consistent with species-specific discrepancies between observed and allometrically-predicted life spans and are compatible with the oxidant theory of aging...
- Erythrocyte deformability dependence on band 3 protein in an in-vitro model of hyperfibrinogenemiaJ P Lopes de Almeida
University of Lisbon Medical School, Santa Maria Hospital, Lisbon, Portugal
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 50:213-9. 2012..control aliquots) and presence of fibrinogen at different degrees of band 3 phosphorylation, and the erythrocyte deformability was determined...
- Vitamin E treatment enhances erythrocyte deformability in aged ratsV Kucukatay
Pamukkale University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Physiology, Kinikli, Denizli, Turkey
Folia Biol (Praha) 58:157-65. 2012....
- Erythrocyte deformability and oxidative stress in inflammatory bowel diseaseTulay Akman
Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey
Dig Dis Sci 57:458-64. 2012..The increased oxidative stress reduces the erythrocyte deformability. However, in IBD, there are no studies in the literature which evaluate erythrocyte deformability.
- Ethanol and erythrocyte membrane interaction: a hemorheologic perspectiveR Mesquita
Instituto de Bioquimica, Faculdade de Medicina de Lisboa, Portugal
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 21:95-8. 1999..310 Osm/kg H2O; p < 0.001) were obtained. In conclusion, ethanol only changes erythrocyte aggregation for a concentration of 67 mM. These data could lead to future changes in therapeutic approaches to situations such as alcoholic coma...
- Effect of carnosine on erythrocyte deformability in diabetic ratsHande Yapislar
Istanbul Bilim University Medical Faculty Physiology Department, 34394, Istanbul, Turkey
Arch Physiol Biochem 118:265-72. 2012..Lipid peroxidation is one of the consequences of oxidative stress. Erythrocyte deformability abilities are reduced as a result of lipid peroxidation...
- Decreased erythrocyte deformability after transfusion and the effects of erythrocyte storage durationSteven M Frank
Department of Anesthesiology Critical Care Medicine, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Anesth Analg 116:975-81. 2013..We assessed erythrocyte cell membrane deformability in patients before and after transfusion to determine the effects of storage duration and whether changes in deformability are reversible after transfusion...
- Effect of antioxidant vitamin treatment on the time course of hematological and hemorheological alterations after an exhausting exercise episode in human subjectsUmit K Senturk
Dept of Physiology, Akdeniz Univ, Faculty of Medicine, Kampus, Antalya, Turkey
J Appl Physiol 98:1272-9. 2005....
- Effects of resistance training intensity on deformability and aggregation of red blood cellsHayriye Cakir-Atabek
School of Physical Education and Sports, Anadolu University, Eskisehir, Turkey
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 41:251-61. 2009..It is concluded that RET performed at an intensity corresponding to 70% of 1RM alters RBC deformability more than training performed at 85% of 1RM. On the other hand, both training protocols affect RBC aggregation in a similar way...
- Effects of different levels of compression during sub-maximal and high-intensity exercise on erythrocyte deformabilityPatrick Wahl
Institute of Training Science and Sport Informatics, German Sport University Cologne, Am Sportpark Müngersdorf 6, 50933 Cologne, Germany
Eur J Appl Physiol 112:2163-9. 2012..was to test the hypothesis whether different levels of sock compression (0, 10, 20, and 40 mmHg) affect erythrocyte deformability and metabolic parameters during sub-maximal and maximal running...
- A switch in infected erythrocyte deformability at the maturation and blood circulation of Plasmodium falciparum transmission stagesMarta Tibúrcio
Dipartimento di Malattie Infettive, Parassitarie e Immunomediate, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Blood 119:e172-80. 2012..These processes are proposed to play a key role in P falciparum gametocyte development in the host and to represent novel and unconventional targets for interfering with parasite transmission...
- The measurement of shear modulus and membrane surface viscosity of RBC membrane with Ektacytometry: a new techniqueXiao Liu
Department of Mechanics and Engineering Sciences, Peking University, Beijing 100871, PR China
Math Biosci 209:190-204. 2007..The sensitivity of the technique is demonstrated by testing RBCs treated with glutaraldehyde of different concentrations. This technique was demonstrated by the flow chamber...
- Leukocyte activation, oxidant stress and red blood cell properties after acute, exhausting exercise in ratsA Temiz
Department of Biophysics, School of Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University, Balcova Izmir, Turkey
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 22:253-9. 2000..As a conclusion the results imply that activated leukocytes might play role in the RBC damage observed after exhausting exercise encouraging oxidative stress...
- The effects of membrane cholesterol and simvastatin on red blood cell deformability and ATP releaseAlison M Forsyth
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544, USA
Microvasc Res 83:347-51. 2012..We also found that simvastatin increases deformability by acting directly on the membrane in the absence of the liver, and that ATP release was increased for cells with enriched cholesterol after treatment with simvastatin...
- Erythrocyte adducin: a structural regulator of the red blood cell membraneT Franco
Department of Chemistry, Purdue University, 560, Oval Drive, West Lafayette, IN 47907 2084, USA
Transfus Clin Biol 17:87-94. 2010..The text below summarizes the structural properties of adducin, its multiple functions in erythrocytes, and the consequences of engineered deletions of each of adducin subunits in transgenic mice...
- Theoretical model and experimental study of red blood cell (RBC) deformation in microchannelsNatanel Korin
Biomedical Engineering Department, Technion, Haifa 32000, Israel
J Biomech 40:2088-95. 2007..The system and the model have the potential of serving as quantitative clinical tools for diagnosing deformability disorders in RBCs...
- The influence of calcium ions and ionophore A23187 on microrheological characteristics of erythrocytes by new model ektacytometryW Chunyi
Biomechanics and Medical Information Institute of Beijing Polytechnic University, PR. China
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 24:19-23. 2001..Furthermore, the effect of ionophore A23187 on the microrheology of erythrocytes is more notable than that of intercellular Ca2+...
- Reduction of red blood cell disaggregability during submaximal exercise: relationship with fibrinogen levelsE Varlet-Marie
Laboratoire de Pharmacocinetique Clinique, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite Montpellier I, France
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 28:139-49. 2003..Thus, laser backscattering demonstrates an increase in aggregability and a decrease in disaggregability of red cells during exercise, proportional to baseline fibrinogen values...
- Optical measurement of cell membrane tensionGabriel Popescu
George R Harrison Spectroscopy Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Phys Rev Lett 97:218101. 2006..This is consistent with the cytoskeleton confinement model, in which the cytoskeleton inhibits membrane fluctuations [Gov et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 90, 228101, (2003)...
- Abnormal blood flow and red blood cell deformability in severe malariaA M Dondorp
Department of Internal Medicine, Tropical Medicine and AIDS, Academic Medical Centre, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Parasitol Today 16:228-32. 2000..The correlation with clinical findings and possible therapeutic consequences are discussed...
- Determination of erythrocyte deformability and its correlation to cellular ATP release using microbore tubing with diameters that approximate resistance vessels in vivoDavid J Fischer
Department of Chemistry, Saint Louis University, St Louis, MO 63103, USA
Analyst 128:1163-8. 2003..This method greatly simplifies deformability measurements, employing only a syringe pump and microbore tubing, and may lead to a more complete understanding of the physiological significance of erythrocyte deformability.
- Erythrocyte aggregation in rheumatoid arthritis: Cell and plasma factor's roleA Luquita
Cátedra de Física Biológica, Facultad de Ciencias Medicas, Universidad Nacional de Rosario, Santa Fe 3100, 2000 Rosario, Argentina
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 41:49-56. 2009....
- Blood rheology abnormalities and vascular cell adhesion mechanisms in sickle cell trait carriers during exercisePhilippe Connes
Laboratoire ACTES EA 3596, Departement de Physiologie, Universite des Antilles et de la Guyane, Guadeloupe, France
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 39:179-84. 2008..Therefore, we can suggest that the risks for microvascular complications in SCT carriers in response to exercise could be dependent on alterations in blood rheology and vascular adhesion processes...
- Exercise-induced oxidative stress affects erythrocytes in sedentary rats but not exercise-trained ratsU K Senturk
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Akdeniz University, 07070 Antalya, Turkey
J Appl Physiol (1985) 91:1999-2004. 2001..concentrations, methemoglobin levels, and rise in osmotic fragility of erythrocytes with decrease in erythrocyte deformability)...
- Assessment of erythrocyte shape by flow cytometry techniquesM Piagnerelli
Department of Intensive Care, Erasme University Hospital, Free University of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
J Clin Pathol 60:549-54. 2007..Several techniques are available to assess alterations in RBC rheology, especially deformability, but they are too cumbersome to be used on a large number of cells...
- HNE produced by the malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum generates HNE-protein adducts and decreases erythrocyte deformabilityAleksei Skorokhod
Department of Genetics, Biology and Biochemistry, University of Torino Medical School, Torino, Italy
Redox Rep 12:73-5. 2007....
- Tumorigenesis of murine erythroleukemia cell line transfected with exogenous p53 geneDagong Sun
Hemorheology Center, Department of Medical Physics, School of Basic Medical Sciences, Peking University, Health Science Center, Beijing 100083, China
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 30:117-26. 2004..The results of animal test and micropipette suggest that exogenous wild-type p53 gene could reduce the tumorigenesis of murine erythroleukemia cells...
- Negative air ions created by water shearing improve erythrocyte deformability and aerobic metabolismH Iwama
Department of Anesthesiology, Central Aizu General Hospital, Aizuwakamatsu City, Japan
Indoor Air 14:293-7. 2004..by which negative air ions improve aerobic metabolism, changes in venous blood lactate levels, pH, erythrocyte deformability, and plasma superoxide dismutase activity and ceruloplasmin levels were examined during a 1-h exposure ..
- Asymmetric dimethylarginine reduced erythrocyte deformability in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsZhi Chun Yang
Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Central South University, Xiang Ya Road 110, Changsha 410078, China
Microvasc Res 73:131-6. 2007To investigate the effect of asymmetric dimethylarginine on erythrocyte deformability in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats, a single intraperitoneal injection of streptozotocin (STZ, 65 mg/kg) in male Sprague-Dawley rats was carried ..
- A microfluidic model for single-cell capillary obstruction by Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytesJ Patrick Shelby
Department of Chemistry, Box 351700, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 1700, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:14618-22. 2003..The last observation can explain the high parasitemia in a growing capillary blockage and the well known benefits of early blood transfusion in severe malaria...
- Small artery remodeling and erythrocyte deformability in L-NAME-induced hypertension: role of transglutaminasesAdrian Pistea
Department of Medical Physics, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Vasc Res 45:10-8. 2008Hypertension is associated with inward remodeling of small arteries and decreased erythrocyte deformability, both impairing proper tissue perfusion...
- A microfabricated deformability-based flow cytometer with application to malariaHansen Bow
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Room 36 841, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Lab Chip 11:1065-73. 2011..These methods collectively provide a systematic approach to characterize the biomechanical properties of cells in a high-throughput manner...
- Influence of storage on red blood cell rheological propertiesTamara L Berezina
Department of Surgery, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey 07103 2714, USA
J Surg Res 102:6-12. 2002..We assumed that blood storage was accompanied by a progressive decrease of RBC deformability and rheological disorders. The degree of rheological disturbances should be directly proportional to the number of RBC with altered geometry...
- Measurement of the distribution of red blood cell deformability using an automated rheoscopeJ G G Dobbe
Department of Medical Technological Development, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Cytometry 50:313-25. 2002..A deformability distribution would be more useful for studying diseases that are marked by subpopulations of less deformable cells because even small fractions of rigid cells can cause circulatory problems...
- Greater erythrocyte deformability in world-class endurance athletesJ A Smith
Department of Physical Therapy, Tennessee State University, Nashville, Tennessee 37209 1561, USA
Am J Physiol 276:H2188-93. 1999..Furthermore, examination of factors that contribute to increased RBC turnover in athletes may help us understand the mechanisms that cause RBC aging...
- Erythrocyte deformability and white blood cell count are associated with aspirin resistance in high-risk vascular patientsLucia Mannini
Department of Medical and Surgical Critical Care, Thrombosis Centre, University of Florence, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Careggi, Florence, Italy
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 35:175-81. 2006..512 s(-1) and 94.5 s(-1), plasma viscosity (PLV) at 94.5 s(-1) shear rate, erythrocyte deformability index (DI) and PFA-100 closure times with ADP (PFA/ADP) and epinephrine (PFA/EPI)...
- Blood banking-induced alteration of red blood cell flow propertiesHanna Relevy
Blood Bank, Hadassah University Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel
Transfusion 48:136-46. 2008..This study was undertaken to comprehensively explore the effect of cold storage and gamma irradiation on RBC flow properties...
- Differential effect of cold acclimation on blood composition in rats and hamstersD Deveci
Cumhuriyet University, Department of Physiology School of Medicine, Sivas, Turkey
J Comp Physiol B 171:135-43. 2001..These data suggest that blood composition in hamsters contributes to an innate tolerance of low temperatures, maintaining tissue perfusion under hypothermic conditions and aiding arousal from hibernation...
- Direct measurement of erythrocyte deformability in diabetes mellitus with a transparent microchannel capillary model and high-speed video camera systemK Tsukada
Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Faculty of Science and Technology, Keio University, Kohoku-ku, Yokohama, 223-8522, Japan
Microvasc Res 61:231-9. 2001To measure erythrocyte deformability in vitro, we made transparent microchannels on a crystal substrate as a capillary model...
- Erythrocyte deformability, plasma viscosity and oxidative status in patients with severe obstructive sleep apnea syndromeNeslihan Dikmenoglu
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Hacettepe University, 06100 Ankara, Turkey
Sleep Med 7:255-61. 2006In patients with severe obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS), diurnal changes of plasma viscosity and erythrocyte deformability were measured to elucidate the possible mechanism of cardiovascular diseases in OSAS patients.
- Effects of storage duration and temperature of human blood on red cell deformability and aggregationMehmet Uyuklu
Department of Physiology, Akdeniz University Faculty of Medicine, Antalya, Turkey
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 41:269-78. 2009..Therefore, the time period between sampling and measurement should be as short as possible and reported together with results...
- Influence of temperature variation from 5 degrees C to 37 degrees C on aggregation and deformability of erythrocytesMegha Singh
Biomedical Engineering Division, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras 600036, India
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 26:1-7. 2002..These show significant to highly significant changes with the increase of temperature compared to that at 5 degrees C. The EI increases with the increase of shear stress but shows significant decrease with the decrease of temperature...
- Influence of temperature on rheology of human erythrocytesK L Sung
Institute for Biomedical Engineering, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0412
Chin J Physiol 35:81-94. 1992..These responses to temperature variations provide insights into the viscoelastic properties of the erythrocyte membrane...
- Erythrocyte oxidative damage in chronic fatigue syndromeRoss S Richards
School of Community Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, Charles Sturt University, NSW, Australia
Arch Med Res 38:94-8. 2007..metabolism (particularly redox metabolism) and erythrocyte shape and that both are related to erythrocyte deformability. The aim of this research is to confirm the results of earlier studies and to investigate a correlation ..
- Heterotrimeric G protein Gi is involved in a signal transduction pathway for ATP release from erythrocytesJeffrey J Olearczyk
Dept of Pharmacological and Physiological Science, St Louis Univ School of Medicine, M 208, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 286:H940-5. 2004..These data are consistent with the hypothesis that the heterotrimeric G protein G(i) is a component of a signal transduction pathway for ATP release from erythrocytes...
- Red blood cell deformability in sepsisO K Baskurt
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Southern California School of Medicine, Los Angeles 90033, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 157:421-7. 1998..We conclude that RBC deformability is reduced in sepsis but that micropore bulk-filtration methods may not be appropriate for detecting these changes...
- Association of reduced red blood cell deformability and diabetic nephropathyClinton D Brown
Department of Medicine, State University of New York Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York 11203, USA
Kidney Int 67:295-300. 2005..The present study was conducted to test whether impaired red blood cell deformability is indeed associated with development of diabetic nephropathy...
- Influence of adsorbed plasma proteins on erythrocyte rheological properties: in vitro and ex vivo studiesA Luquita
Cátedra de Física Biológica, Facultad de Ciencias Medicas, Universidad Nacional de Rosario, Santa Fe 3100, 2000 Rosario, Argentina
Pflugers Arch 443:78-83. 2001..The first is the well known decrease in plasma viscosity, and the second is an improvement of erythrocyte deformability, as has been shown in this work...
- Techniques to evaluate erythrocyte deformability in diabetes mellitusG Caimi
Department of Lateral Medicine, Cardiovascular Disease and Nephrology, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Acta Diabetol 41:99-103. 2004Using several rheological techniques, we examined erythrocyte deformability in different groups of diabetic subjects...
- Allopurinol prevents erythrocyte deformability impairing but not the hematological alterations after limb ischemia-reperfusion in ratsNorbert Nemeth
Department of Operative Techniques and Surgical Research, Medical and Health Science Center, Faculty of Medicine, University of Debrecen, Debrecen, Hungary
J Invest Surg 19:47-56. 2006..Measurement of erythrocyte deformability using a bulk filtrometer with special setting of cell suspension hematocrit (1%), and determination of ..
- Impaired erythrocyte deformability precedes vascular changes in experimental diabetes mellitusE J Diamantopoulos
4th Department of Internal Medicine, Evangelismos State General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Horm Metab Res 36:142-7. 2004..The results of this study indicate that reduced RBC deformability is an early manifestation of abnormal blood rheology in experimental diabetes, and precedes the evolution of vascular changes...
- Evidence for a mechanosensitive calcium influx into red cellsMichael C Brain
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Calgary, Room 388 Heritage Research Building, 3330 Hospital Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 4N1
Blood Cells Mol Dis 32:349-52. 2004..Red cells containing hemoglobin AC and AS had enhanced calcium responses to filtration. An increased influx of calcium in hemoglobin disorders might play a role in providing protection against Falciparum malaria...
- Direct measurement of the impact of impaired erythrocyte deformability on microvascular network perfusion in a microfluidic deviceSergey S Shevkoplyas
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Boston University, 44 Cummington St, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Lab Chip 6:914-20. 2006..The direct measurement of microchannel network perfusion represents a new concept for the field of blood rheology and should prove beneficial for basic science and clinical applications...
- The microrheological behavior of young and old red blood cells in athletesA V Muravyov
Department of Medicine and Biology, Yaroslavl University, Yaroslavl, Russia
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 26:183-8. 2002..It was one of the cause of high fluidity of the RBCtop- and RBCbot suspensions and whole blood in athletes and more effective oxygen transport than in untrained people...
- Endotoxin binding to erythrocyte membrane and erythrocyte deformability in human sepsis and in vitroJohannes M B Pöschl
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Heidelberg Medical School, Germany
Crit Care Med 31:924-8. 2003..However, it is unclear whether impaired red blood cell deformability is associated with binding of lipopolysaccharide to the red blood cell membrane...
- Impairment of erythrocyte viscoelasticity is correlated with levels of glycosylated haemoglobin in diabetic patientsA Symeonidis
Haematology Division, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Patras Medical School, 261 10, Patras, Greece
Clin Lab Haematol 23:103-9. 2001..Our findings suggest that glycosylation of skeletal proteins probably contributes significantly to the increased membrane rigidity of diabetic erythrocytes...
- Effect of blood hematocrit and erythrocyte deformability on adenosine 5'-diphosphate platelet reactivity in patients with acute coronary syndromes on dual antiplatelet therapyEmanuele Cecchi
Dipartimento di Area Critica Medico Chirurgica, Centro Trombosi, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Careggi, Florence, Italy
Am J Cardiol 104:764-8. 2009..512 and 94.5/second, plasma viscosity, and erythrocyte deformability index...
- Prohemorrhagic potential of dipyrone, ibuprofen, ketorolac, and aspirin: mechanisms associated with blood flow and erythrocyte deformabilityJ Bozzo
Department of Hemotherapy and Hemostasis, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 38:183-90. 2001..In addition, aspirin significantly reduced erythrocyte deformability with respect to the other drugs...
- Effects of alpha 1-acid glycoprotein on erythrocyte deformability and membrane stabilizationKazuaki Matsumoto
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kumamoto University, 5 2 Oe honmachi, Kumamoto 862 0973, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 26:123-6. 2003..A new technique developed by Kikuchi was used to investigate erythrocyte deformability. The addition of AGPs including human AGP facilitated the passage of human erythrocytes with an average ..
- Measurement temperature plays a pivotal role in the distribution of erythrocyte deformability after LPSJ E Jagger
The A.C. Burton Vascular Biology Laboratory, London Health Sciences Centre, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada N6A 5C1
Biorheology 38:439-48. 2001..We have shown that LPS incubation results in a significant decrease in RBC(D) and that room temperature measurement of physical membrane properties may exaggerate the differences between normal and perturbed RBCs...
- Hemorheologic effects of low intensity endurance training in sedentary patients suffering from the metabolic syndromeIkram Aloulou
Universite Montpellier 1, UFR de Medecine, Laboratoire de Physiologie des Interactions, Montpellier Institut de Biologie, Boulevard Henri IV, F 34062 France
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 35:333-9. 2006..For which reason Hct increased in 30% of the patients during this kind of training remains unclear...
- Fetal hemorheology in normal pregnancy and severe preeclampsiaL Heilmann
Department Obstetrics Gynecology, Clinica Obstetric Gynecology, City Hospital, Russelsheim, Germany
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 32:183-90. 2005..9%. An elevated red cell aggregation was found in 2.8% (stasis) and 4.8% (low flow state), respectively. We conclude that in fetal blood the higher hematocrit and the presence of larger red cells do not cause impaired fetal hemorheology...
- [Clinical efficacy of a novel hemorheological drug ascovertin in patients with vascular encephalopathy]M B Plotnikov
Zh Nevrol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova 104:33-7. 2004..blood viscosity due to improvement of cellular rheology indices (decrease of aggregation and increase of erythrocyte deformability as well as decrease of indices of lipid peroxidation in erythrocyte membrane and blood plasma) was ..
- Effects of Intralipid infusion on hemorheology and peripheral resistance in neonates and childrenUlf Kessler
Department of Surgical Pediatrics, University of Bern Inselspital, 3010 Bern, Switzerland
Pediatr Surg Int 21:197-202. 2005..Vasoconstriction rather than hemorheological changes during infusion of IL may play a crucial role in the pathogenesis of circulatory alterations in parenterally-fed neonates...
- Effects of erythrocyte flexibility on microvascular perfusion and oxygenation during acute anemiaPedro Cabrales
La Jolla Bioengineering Institute, 505 Coast Boulevard South Suite 405, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 293:H1206-15. 2007....
- In vivo effect of aluminium upon the physical properties of the erythrocyte membraneGraciela B Bazzoni
Cátedra de Física Biológica, Facultad de Cs Médicas, Universidad Nacional de Rosario, 3100, 2000 Rosario, Republica Argentina
J Inorg Biochem 99:822-7. 2005..In conclusion, Al (III) disorganised the erythrocyte membrane by altering its mechanical properties, suggesting a reduction of the middle life of circulating erythrocytes, which could play a major role in the anaemia of these animals...
- [Effect of qilong capsule on hemoreology in acute stress blood stasis rats]Yan Wu
Department of Pharmacology, Beijing University of Chinese Medicine, Beijing 100102, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 29:362-5. 2004..To study the influence of Qilong capsule (QLC) on the hemoreology in acute stress blood stasis model rats...
- Capillary blood viscosity in microcirculationA Cortinovis
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Terapia Medica, Sez di Clinica Medica 2, Universita degli Studi di Pavia, IRCCS Policlinico S Matteo, Italy
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 35:183-92. 2006..Moreover, the percentage ratio between the GBV and the CBV gives a physical measure of erythrocyte deformability. Knowing viscosity at shear-rate present in the circulatory system, we can obtain the size of RBCs ..
- Monitoring Red Cell Metabolism using a Lab on a ChipDana M Spence; Fiscal Year: 2010..Recently, it has been demonstrated that erythrocyte deformability is a determinant of deformation-induced release of adenosine triphosphate (ATP)...
- DEFERIPRONE THERAPY FOR SICKLE CELL DISEASENancy Olivieri; Fiscal Year: 2001..induce protein thiol oxidation and lipid peroxidation leading to cation leak, cell dehydration, reduced erythrocyte deformability, and premature red cell destruction...
- Role of Erythrocytes in Circulatory ControlRandy Sprague; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanisms of ATP Release from RBC'sRandy Sprague; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- UNIQUE AMINO DOMAINS AND AMP DEAMINASE ISOFORM DIVERSITYRICHARD SABINA; Fiscal Year: 2002..These combined efforts should provide critical information that may help explain clinical outcomes associated with a prevalent AMPD1 mutant allele. ..
- GLUCOSE-6-PHOSPHATE DEHYDROGENASE DEFICIENCY AND SEPSISZoltan Spolarics; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Erythrocytes, immuno-modulation and G6PD deficiencyZoltan Spolarics; Fiscal Year: 2007..Elucidation of macrophage and T-cell cytokine responses to infection in G6PD deficiency may also be important in providing a mechanism of malaria protection alternative to currently accepted notions. [unreadable] [unreadable]..