Genomes and Genes
Summary: Volume of PLASMA in the circulation. It is usually measured by INDICATOR DILUTION TECHNIQUES.
Publications237 found, 100 shown here
- Arterial remodeling and plasma volume expansion in caveolin-1-deficient miceSebastian Albinsson
Department of Experimental Medical Science, Lund University, SE 221 84 Lund, Sweden
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 293:R1222-31. 2007..Tracer-dilution experiments showed increased plasma volume in KO...
- Prothrombotic changes with acute psychological stress: combined effect of hemoconcentration and genuine coagulation activationRoland von Kanel
Department of General Internal Medicine, University Hospital Inselspital, CH 3010 Bern Switzerland
Thromb Res 123:622-30. 2009..We investigated the extent to which the change in prothrombotic measures with acute stress reflects hemoconcentration and genuine activation of coagulation...
- Operation Everest III: role of plasma volume expansion on VO(2)(max) during prolonged high-altitude exposureP Robach
Ecole Nationale de Ski et d Alpinisme, 74401 Chamonix, France
J Appl Physiol (1985) 89:29-37. 2000We hypothesize that plasma volume decrease (DeltaPV) induced by high-altitude (HA) exposure and intense exercise is involved in the limitation of maximal O(2) uptake (VO(2)(max)) at HA...
- Plasma volume expansion of 5% albumin, 4% gelatin, 6% HES 130/0.4, and normal saline under increased microvascular permeability in the ratMaris Dubniks
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Lund University Hospital, 22185, Lund, Sweden
Intensive Care Med 33:293-9. 2007..4 with one another and with normal saline regarding their plasma expanding effects at increased permeability and to compare the results with those from a previous study at normal permeability...
- Reduced plasma volume and mesenteric vascular reactivity in obese Zucker ratsAnn M Schreihofer
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 288:R253-61. 2005..In 15-wk-old OZR and LZR, we measured plasma volume and vascular reactivity to norepinephrine (NE) and phenylephrine (PE) with doses evaluated by body weight and ..
- Human circulatory and thermoregulatory adaptations with heat acclimation and exercise in a hot, dry environmentB Nielsen
August Krogh Institute, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
J Physiol 460:467-85. 1993..6 to 21.4 l min-1; this was possibly due to an increased plasma volume and stroke volume. 4...
- Chronic heart failure leads to an expanded plasma volume and pseudoanaemia, but does not lead to a reduction in the body's red cell volumeChristopher Adlbrecht
Department of Internal Medicine II, Division of Cardiology, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Eur Heart J 29:2343-50. 2008..and kidney function) including red cell volume (RCV) (by a 51 Cr assay) as well as related markers and plasma volume. The influence of each factor on haemoglobin concentrations was determined in a multiple regression model...
- Erythropoietin treatment elevates haemoglobin concentration by increasing red cell volume and depressing plasma volumeCarsten Lundby
Copenhagen Muscle Research Center, Rigshospitalet section 7652, 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
J Physiol 578:309-14. 2007Erythropoietin (Epo) has been suggested to affect plasma volume, and would thereby possess a mechanism apart from erythropoiesis to increase arterial oxygen content...
- Recovery of plasma volume after 1 week of exposure at 4,350 mPaul Robach
Ecole Nationale de Ski et d Alpinisme, BP 24, 74401 Chamonix, France
Pflugers Arch 444:821-8. 2002b>Plasma volume (PV) decreases at high altitude, but is rapidly restored upon return to sea-level (RSL)...
- The initial distribution volume of glucose rather than indocyanine green derived plasma volume is correlated with cardiac output following major surgeryH Ishihara
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Hirosaki School of Medicine, Japan
Intensive Care Med 26:1441-8. 2000To determine whether the initial distribution volume of glucose (IDVG) rather than plasma volume or blood volume is correlated better with cardiac output during the 4 days following major surgery.
- Treatment with the sphingosine-1-phosphate analogue FTY 720 reduces loss of plasma volume during experimental sepsis in the ratCornelia Lundblad
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Lund University Hospital, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 57:713-8. 2013..The aim of the present study was to determine if FTY720 could reduce the loss of plasma volume during experimental sepsis in rats.
- Influence of rate and volume of infusion on the kinetics of 0.9% saline and 7.5% saline/6.0% dextran 70 in sheepLance P Brauer
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77555, USA
Anesth Analg 95:1547-56, table of contents. 2002..We concluded that the volume kinetic variables obtained during a short infusion can be used to predict the outcome of a longer one, even if the longer infusion also delivers a larger volume...
- Long-term exposure to intermittent hypoxia results in increased hemoglobin mass, reduced plasma volume, and elevated erythropoietin plasma levels in manKatja Heinicke
Division of Physiology, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla 92093 0623A, USA
Eur J Appl Physiol 88:535-43. 2003..b>Plasma volume (PV) and blood volume (BV) decreased at altitude but increased when OI and SI returned to sea level...
- Impact of the time window on plasma volume measurement with indocyanine greenM Jacob
Clinic of Anaesthesiology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Nussbaumstr 20, 80336 Munich, Germany
Physiol Meas 29:761-70. 2008Recent reports have questioned the accuracy of the indocyanine green dilution technique for measuring plasma volume. Our objective was to evaluate the impact of different time windows for monoexponential extrapolation...
- Can initial distribution volume of glucose predict hypovolemic hypotension after radical surgery for esophageal cancer?A Suzuki
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Hirosaki School of Medicine, 5 Zaifu cho, Hirosaki Shi, 036 8562, Japan
Anesth Analg 92:1146-51. 2001..IDVG and plasma volume were calculated after measuring cardiac index (CI), central venous pressure, and pulmonary artery wedge ..
- Correlation of maternal plasma volume and composition with amniotic fluid index in normal human pregnancyM G Ross
Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Torrance, California, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 15:104-8. 2004Early in human pregnancy, maternal plasma osmolality decreases and plasma volume begins to increase. Continued plasma volume expansion is linked to fetal fluid acquisition, and ultimately normal amniotic fluid volume...
- Plasma volume and blood pressure regulation in hypertensive pregnancyWessel Ganzevoort
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Hypertens 22:1235-42. 2004..Pre-eclampsia is a multisystem disorder, peculiar to and frequent in human pregnancy. It remains a leading cause of maternal and neonatal morbidity and mortality. Hemodynamic disturbances are the most prominent features of the syndrome...
- Plasma volume expansion does not increase maximal cardiac output or VO2 max in lowlanders acclimatized to altitudeJose A L Calbet
Department of Physical Education, University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, 35010 Canary Islands, Spain
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 287:H1214-24. 2004With altitude acclimatization, blood hemoglobin concentration increases while plasma volume (PV) and maximal cardiac output (Qmax) decrease...
- The regulation and measurement of plasma volume in heart failurePaul R Kalra
Clinical Cardiology, National Heart and Lung Institute, London, United Kingdom
J Am Coll Cardiol 39:1901-8. 2002b>Plasma volume, the intravascular portion of the extracellular fluid volume, can be measured using standard dilution techniques with radiolabeled tracer molecules...
- Prepregnancy low-plasma volume and predisposition to preeclampsia and fetal growth restrictionRalph R Scholten
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Obstet Gynecol 117:1085-93. 2011To estimate whether recurrence risks of preeclampsia, preterm birth, and fetal growth restriction relate to prepregnancy plasma volume.
- Stress-induced alterations in coagulation: assessment of a new hemoconcentration correction techniqueAnthony W Austin
Montreal Behavioural Medicine Centre, Department ofExercise Science, Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4B 1R6
Psychosom Med 74:288-95. 2012..the Dill and Costill correction (DCC) for hemoconcentration effects has been used to adjust for stress-induced plasma volume changes...
- Determination of plasma volume in anaesthetized piglets using the carbon monoxide (CO) methodJ K Heltne
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Haukeland University Hospital, University of Bergen, N 5021 Bergen, Norway
Lab Anim 36:344-50. 2002..red blood cell volume (V(RBC)) in seven anaesthetized piglets using carbon monoxide (CO) as a label, plasma volume (PV) was calculated for each animal...
- Plasma volume expansion resulting from intravenous glucose tolerance testRobert G Hahn
Section for Anaesthesia, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linkoping University, 58185 Linkoping, Sweden
Comput Math Methods Med 2011:965075. 2011To quantify the degree of plasma volume expansion that occurs during an intravenous glucose tolerance test (IVGTT).
- Atrap deficiency increases arterial blood pressure and plasma volumeMona Oppermann
Children s Hospital, University Medical Center, Germany
J Am Soc Nephrol 21:468-77. 2010..Dose-response relationships of arterial BP after acute AngII infusion were similar in both genotypes. Plasma volume was significantly higher and plasma renin concentration was markedly lower in Atrap-/- mice compared with wild-..
- Plasma volume expansion and transcapillary fluid exchange in skeletal muscle of albumin, dextran, gelatin, hydroxyethyl starch, and saline after trauma in the catJohan Persson
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Lund University and Lund University Hospital, Sweden
Crit Care Med 34:2456-62. 2006To compare 5% albumin, 6% dextran 70, 3.5% gelatin, 6% hydroxyethyl starch 130/0.4, and saline regarding their plasma volume expanding effect after a surgical skeletal muscle trauma and their simultaneous effects on transvascular fluid ..
- Relative plasma volume monitoring during hemodialysis AIDS the assessment of dry weightArjun D Sinha
Division of Nephrology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Ind 46202, USA
Hypertension 55:305-11. 2010..The objective of this study was to evaluate and validate relative plasma volume (RPV) monitoring as a marker of dry weight...
- Measurement of plasma volume using fluorescent silica-based nanoparticlesChristoph Eisner
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 112:681-7. 2012b>Plasma volume (PV) is an important determinant of cardiovascular function and organ perfusion, and it is the target of infusion and diuretic therapies in daily clinical practice...
- Plasma volume, albumin, and fluid status in peritoneal dialysis patientsBiju John
Department of Nephrology, University Hospital of North Staffordshire, Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 5:1463-70. 2010..We hypothesized that patients with a plasma albumin below the median value would have measurable overhydration without a proportional increase in plasma volume (PV).
- Technical and physiological background of plasma volume measurement with indocyanine green: a clarification of misunderstandingsMatthias Jacob
Klinik fur Anasthesiologie, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Nussbaumstr 20, D 80336 Munich, Germany
J Appl Physiol (1985) 102:1235-42. 2007The indocyanine green (ICG) dilution technique (DT) is frequently used for plasma volume (PV) measurement. However, because of inadequate knowledge about the properties of this dye, lack of accuracy has been attributed to the method...
- Hormonal and plasma volume changes after presyncopeHelmut Hinghofer-Szalkay
Institute of Adaptive and Spaceflight Physiology, Graz, Austria
Eur J Clin Invest 41:1180-5. 2011..Aim of this study was to test the hypothesis that after presyncope, some blood hormone pools increase while others decrease...
- Detection of capillary protein leakage by indocyanine green and glucose dilutions in septic patientsH Ishihara
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Hirosaki School of Medicine, Hirosaki Shi, Japan
Crit Care Med 28:620-6. 2000..To determine whether indocyanine green (ICG) and glucose dilutions can detect generalized capillary protein leakage in septic patients without requiring repeated measurements...
- Direct and indirect methods for determining plasma volume during thermoneutral and cold-water immersionChristopher J Gordon
Faculty of Health Science, Australian Catholic University, Sydney, Australia
Eur J Appl Physiol 89:471-4. 2003b>Plasma volume (PV), determined indirectly from changes in haematocrit (Hct) and haemoglobin concentration ([Hb]), underestimates the absolute PV change (Evans blue dye) during thermoneutral immersion...
- Orthostatic hypercoagulability: a novel physiological mechanism to activate the coagulation systemMuhannad Masoud
J Recanati Autonomic Dysfunction Center and the Thrombosis and Hemostasis Unit, Medicine, Rambam Health Care Campus, and Bruce Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion IIT, Haifa, Israel
Hypertension 51:1545-51. 2008..Thirty minutes of standing caused a decrease in plasma volume by 12.0+/-0.5% and an increase in plasma protein by 13.0+/-0.7%...
- Exercise-induced plasma volume expansion and post-exercise parasympathetic reactivationM Buchheit
Faculty of Sport Sciences, Research Laboratory, EA 3300 Laboratory of Exercise Physiology and Rehabilitation, University of Picardie, Jules Verne, Amiens, France
Eur J Appl Physiol 105:471-81. 2009The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of exercise-induced plasma volume expansion on post-exercise parasympathetic reactivation. Before (D(0)) and 2 days after (D(+2)) a supramaximal exercise session, 11 men (21.4 +/- 2...
- Atrial natriuretic peptide: an essential physiological regulator of transvascular fluid, protein transport, and plasma volumeFitz Roy E Curry
Department of Physiology and Membrane Biology, School of Medicine, University of California Davis, Davis, California 95616, USA
J Clin Invest 115:1458-61. 2005Atrial natriuretic peptide (ANP) acts acutely to reduce plasma volume by at least 3 mechanisms: increased renal excretion of salt and water, vasodilation, and increased vascular permeability...
- A novel hydroxyethyl starch (Voluven) for effective perioperative plasma volume substitution in cardiac surgeryR C Gallandat Huet
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Groningen, The Netherlands
Can J Anaesth 47:1207-15. 2000To compare the new hydroxyethyl starch HES 130/0.4 (Voluven) and the standard HES 200/0.5 (pentastarch) regarding effectiveness for plasma volume substitution and safety of large volumes in heart surgery.
- Atrial natriuretic peptide modulation of albumin clearance and contrast agent permeability in mouse skeletal muscle and skin: role in regulation of plasma volumeFitz Roy E Curry
Department of Physiology and Membrane Biology, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Physiol 588:325-39. 2010..clearance with ANP treatment accounts for at most 30% of whole body clearance required for ANP to regulate plasma volume. Skin microcirculation responded to ANP similarly...
- Colloids versus crystalloids and tissue oxygen tension in patients undergoing major abdominal surgeryK Lang
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Klinikum der Stadt Ludwigshafen, Bremserstr. 79, D-67063 Ludwigshafen, Germany
Anesth Analg 93:405-9 , 3rd contents page. 2001..The ptiO(2) increased in the HES-treated (+59%) but decreased in the RL-treated (-23%) patients. Improved microcirculation may be the mechanism for the better ptiO(2) in the HES group...
- Renal function and plasma volume following ultramarathon cyclingG Neumayr
Institute of Sports Medicine, University Clinics of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Int J Sports Med 26:2-8. 2005..Creatinine (CR), urea, haemoglobin (Hb), haematocrit (Hct) and plasma volume (PV) were investigated in 16 male ultramarathon cyclists during the 1st Race Across the Alps in 2001 (distance:..
- Voluven, a lower substituted novel hydroxyethyl starch (HES 130/0.4), causes fewer effects on coagulation in major orthopedic surgery than HES 200/0.5O Langeron
, , Paris, France
Anesth Analg 92:855-62. 2001Hydroxyethyl starch (HES) solutions are effective plasma volume expanders. Impairment of coagulation occurs with large HES volumes infused perioperatively...
- Plasma volume restoration with salt tablets and water after bed rest prevents orthostatic hypotension and changes in supine hemodynamic and endocrine variablesWendy W Waters
Human Adaptation and Countermeasures Office, Wyle Laboratories, Inc, Houston, Texas, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 288:H839-47. 2005..We hypothesized that restoring plasma volume with salt tablets and water after 12 days of head-down bed rest would result in an absence of hemodynamic and ..
- Effects of naloxone on the haemodynamic and renal functional responses to plasma volume expansion in conscious rabbitsA Shweta
Department of Physiology, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Pflugers Arch 439:150-7. 1999We tested whether the opioid antagonist naloxone affects responses to plasma volume expansion (PVE) in conscious rabbits. Under basal conditions, naloxone (6 mg x kg-(1) plus 0.3 mg x kg(-1) x min(-1) i.v...
- Oral salt supplementation during ultradistance exerciseDale B Speedy
Department of General Practice and Primary Care, University of Auckland, New Zealand
Clin J Sport Med 12:279-84. 2002The objective of this study was to determine whether sodium supplementation 1) influences changes in body weight, serum sodium [Na], and plasma volume (PV), and 2) prevents hyponatremia in Ironman triathletes.
- Postural pseudoanemia: posture-dependent change in hematocritGiris Jacob
Jacob Recanati Autonomic Dysfunction Center, Internal Medicine C, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Mayo Clin Proc 80:611-4. 2005..Lying and standing plasma volume (PV) and hematocrit (Hct) values were determined for each subject...
- Low plasma volume coincides with sympathetic hyperactivity and reduced baroreflex sensitivity in formerly preeclamptic patientsDorette A Courtar
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Hospital Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Soc Gynecol Investig 13:48-52. 2006Preeclampsia is associated with enhanced sympathetic activity as well as subnormal plasma volume. Meanwhile, in over 50% of these complicated pregnancies, the subnormal plasma volume has been found to persist for a prolonged period after ..
- Plasma volume expansion in pregnancy: implications for biomarkers in population studiesJessica M Faupel-Badger
Mammary Biology and Tumorigenesis Laboratory, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, MSC 4254, 37 Convent Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16:1720-3. 2007..measurement of the concentration of hormones and other biomarkers in pregnant subjects is influenced by plasma volume expansion (PVE)...
- Pregnant rats treated with a serotonin precursor have reduced fetal weight and lower plasma volume and kallikrein levelsSofia P Salas
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Center for Medical Research, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Hypertension 50:773-9. 2007..In pregnant rats, 5-HTP lowered plasma volume (control: 22+/-1.1; 5-HTP: 17+/-0.7 mL; P<0...
- Reliability of peak-lactate, heart rate, and plasma volume following the Wingate testY Weinstein
The Ribstein Center for Sports Medicine Sciences and Research, The Wingate Institute, Israel
Med Sci Sports Exerc 30:1456-60. 1998..Additionally, the test-retest reliability of the heart rate (HR) and plasma volume changes (deltaPV) response was also evaluated.
- Thyroxine treatment induces upregulation of renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system due to decreasing effective plasma volume in patients with primary myxoedemaC W Park
Division of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, 62 Yoido-Dong, Youngdungpo-ku, Seoul 150-713, Korea
Nephrol Dial Transplant 16:1799-806. 2001..3 months (range, 3-9 months) to normalize thyroid function. The mean reductions of body weight and estimated plasma volume were 1.8+/-1.0 kg (P=0.002) and 8.5% (P<0.001), respectively...
- The cardiovascular response to lower body negative pressure in humans depends on seal locationN Goswami
Institute of Physiology, Center for Physiological Medicine, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria graz at
Physiol Res 58:311-8. 2009..Plasma density and indocyanine green concentrations assessed plasma volume changes and hepatic perfusion...
- Impact of protein and carbohydrate supplementation on plasma volume expansion and thermoregulatory adaptation by aerobic training in older menKazunobu Okazaki
Department of Sports Medical Sciences, Shinshu University Graduate School of Medicine, Matsumoto 390 8621, Japan
J Appl Physiol (1985) 107:725-33. 2009..CHO) supplementation immediately after exercise each day during aerobic training facilitated plasma volume (PV) expansion and thermoregulatory and cardiovascular adaptations in older men...
- Time course variations of haemodynamics, plasma volume and microvascular fluid exchange following surface cooling: an experimental approach to accidental hypothermiaStig Morten Hammersborg
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Institute for Surgical Sciences, University of Bergen, Haukeland University Hospital, 5021 Bergen, Norway
Resuscitation 65:211-9. 2005..To describe how surface cooling influences fluid distribution, vascular capacity and haemodynamic variables...
- Time course of maternal plasma volume and hormonal changes in women with preeclampsia or fetal growth restrictionSofia P Salas
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Sandiago, Chile
Hypertension 47:203-8. 2006..hormones, such as aldosterone and estradiol, either preceding or concomitant with the onset of the reduced plasma volume described in these women...
- In vivo mapping of fractional plasma volume (fpv) and endothelial transfer coefficient (Kps) in solid tumors using a macromolecular contrast agent: correlation with histology and ultrastructurePasquina Marzola
Dipartimento di Scienze Morfologico Biomediche, Sezione di Anatomia ed Istologia, Universita di Verona, Verona, Italy
Int J Cancer 104:462-8. 2003..were acquired before and after administration of Gd-DTPA-albumin to obtain parametric maps of fractional plasma volume (fpv) and transendothelial permeability (Kps)...
- Does indocyanine green accurately measure plasma volume independently of its disappearance rate from plasma in critically ill patients?H Ishihara
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Hirosaki School of Medicine, Japan
Intensive Care Med 25:1252-8. 1999To determine whether plasma volume determined by the indocyanine green (ICG) dilution method (PV-ICG) is equally accurate independently of its disappearance rate from plasma in the critically ill.
- Plasma volume changes associated with two hydroxyethyl starch colloids following acute hypovolaemia in volunteersM F M James
Centre for Anaesthesia, University College London, London, UK
Anaesthesia 59:738-42. 2004..colloid preparations, one a high molecular weight and the other a low molecular weight preparation, on the plasma volume changes over time...
- Plasma volume and outcome in pulmonary hypertensionKaren B James
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Cleveland Clinic, Kaufman Center for Heart Failure, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Tex Heart Inst J 30:305-7. 2003..However, the effect of plasma volume on outcome has not been evaluated...
- Plasma volume expansion in early pregnancyI M Bernstein
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, Vermont, USA
Obstet Gynecol 97:669-72. 2001To determine the time course of plasma volume expansion in early pregnancy.
- Early effects of oral salt on plasma volume, orthostatic tolerance, and baroreceptor sensitivity in patients with syncopeB L Mtinangi
Institute for Cardiovascular Research, University of Leeds, UK
Clin Auton Res 8:231-5. 1998Salt loading of patients with orthostatic-related syncope has been shown to increase plasma volume and orthostatic tolerance and to decrease baroreceptor sensitivity...
- Hydroxyethyl starch 130/0.42/6:1 for perioperative plasma volume replacement in 1130 children: results of an European prospective multicenter observational postauthorization safety study (PASS)Robert Sumpelmann
Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Klinik für Anästhesiologie und Intensivmedizin, Hannover, Germany
Paediatr Anaesth 22:371-8. 2012..42/6:1 in normal saline (ns-HES) or a balanced electrolyte solution (bal-HES) in children undergoing surgery...
- A physicochemical approach to acid-base balance in critically ill trauma patients minimizes errors and reduces inappropriate plasma volume expansionLewis J Kaplan
Department of Surgery, Section of Trauma, Surgical Critical Care and Surgical Emergencies, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06518, USA
J Trauma 66:1045-51. 2009..This study assesses if a physicochemical (PC) approach to acid-base balance improves the accuracy of acid-base diagnosis, and reduces inappropriate fluid loading...
- The relationship of plasma volume, sympathetic tone, and proinflammatory cytokines in young healthy nonpregnant womenIra M Bernstein
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, Vermont 05405, USA
Reprod Sci 16:980-5. 2009Preeclampsia has been associated with elevated proinflammatory markers, increased sympathetic activity, and decreased plasma volume (PV). We hypothesized that these associations would be identified in women prior to a first pregnancy.
- Influence of hydrostatic pressure gradients on regulation of plasma volume after exerciseG W Mack
John B Pierce Laboratory and Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06519, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 85:667-75. 1998..During exercise, plasma volume (PV) decreased by 5.7 +/- 0.7 and 7. 0 +/- 0...
- Simultaneous determination of total body water and plasma volume in conscious dogs by the indicator dilution principleSøren Wamberg
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
J Nutr 132:1711S-3S. 2002
- Effects of measurement of plasma activity input on normalization of glomerular filtration rate to plasma volume in dogsNaruepon Kampa
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, Thailand
Vet Radiol Ultrasound 48:585-93. 2007..GFR can be normalized to plasma volume by a renographic method that uses the Rutland-Patlak plot with plasma activity and kidney activity inputs...
- Resuscitation from septic shock with capillary leakage: hydroxyethyl starch (130 kd), but not Ringer's solution maintains plasma volume and systemic oxygenationGernot Marx
Department of Anaesthesia, University of Liverpool, Liverpool L69 3GA, United Kingdom
Shock 21:336-41. 2004..synthetic colloid hydroxyethyl starch (HES 130 kD) and a crystalloid regimen with Ringer's solution (RS) on plasma volume (PV) maintenance as well as on systemic and regional hemodynamics...
- Does albumin and furosemide therapy affect plasma volume in nephrotic children?Z Bircan
Kartal Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Pediatr Nephrol 16:497-9. 2001Albumin infusions transiently increase plasma volume (PV) and oncotic pressure, and may restore diuretic responsiveness in nephrotic edema...
- Plasma volume expansion by albumin in cirrhosis. Relation to blood volume distribution, arterial compliance and severity of diseaseKim Brinch
Department of Clinical Physiology, 239, Hvidovre Hospital, University of Copenhagen, DK 2650 Hvidovre, Denmark
J Hepatol 39:24-31. 2003..The aim of the study was to investigate the effect of a standard albumin load on blood volume distribution, arterial compliance, and the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system in patients with different degrees of cirrhosis...
- Endothelium-dependent vasodilatation in formerly preeclamptic women correlates inversely with body mass index and varies independently of plasma volumeTessa Lommerse
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Maastricht, Maatricht, The Netherlands
Reprod Sci 14:765-70. 2007Endothelial dysfunction and a subnormal plasma volume predispose to preeclampsia...
- Regional cerebral plasma volume response to carbon dioxide using magnetic resonance imagingJ F Payen
INSERM U438, Hopital Albert Michallon, Grenoble, France
Anesthesiology 88:984-92. 1998..Using steady state contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging, the authors determined regional changes in cerebral plasma volume (CPV) induced by hypercapnia in halothane-anesthetized rats.
- Plasma volume measurement in septic patients using an albumin dilution technique: comparison with the standard radio-labelled albumin methodMichael P Margarson
Magill Department of Anaesthesia, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, 369 Fulham Road, London, SW10 3NH, UK
Intensive Care Med 31:289-95. 2005To investigate a technique using 20% albumin for measurement of plasma volume in critically ill patients.
- Initial distribution volume of glucose can be approximated using a conventional glucose analyzer in the intensive care unitHironori Ishihara
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Hirosaki School of Medicine, Hirosaki Shi, Japan
Crit Care 9:R144-9. 2005..The purpose of the present study was to compare approximated IDVG, derived from just two blood samples, versus original IDVG, and to test whether approximated IDVG is an acceptable alternative measure of IDVG in the intensive care unit...
- Possible overestimation of indocyanine green-derived plasma volume early after induction of anesthesia with propofol/fentanylWei Dong Mi
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Hirosaki School of Medicine, Hirosaki Shi, Japan
Anesth Analg 97:1421-7. 2003..9%, 2.2%, and 2.3%, respectively (P < 0.05). Percentile increase in plasma volume calculated from Hb and Hct before and after induction was 4%...
- Red cell mass and plasma volume measurements in polycythemia: evaluation of performance and practical utilityShireen Sirhan
Division of Hematology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Cancer 104:213-5. 2005....
- Effect of endothelin on plasma volume and albumin escapeR S Zimmerman
Division of Research, Alton Ochsner Medical Foundation, New Orleans, LA 70121
Circ Res 70:1027-34. 1992..Red blood cell volume and plasma volume were determined by using chromium-51-labeled erythrocytes and iodine-125-labeled albumin, respectively, in ..
- Does indocyanine green accurately measure plasma volume early after cardiac surgery?Hironori Ishihara
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Hirosaki School of Medicine, Hirosaki Shi, Japan
Anesth Analg 94:781-6, table of contents. 2002Potential overestimation of plasma volume (PV) determination by the conventional indocyanine green (ICG) dilution method (PV-ICG) can occur when generalized capillary protein leakage is present, because ICG binds to proteins...
- Comparison of initial distribution volume of glucose and plasma volume in thoracic fluid-accumulated patientsH Ishihara
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Hirosaki School of Medicine, 5 Zaifu cho, Hirosaki 036 8562, Japan
Crit Care Med 29:1532-8. 2001..The purpose of this study was to describe changes in initial distribution volume of glucose, plasma volume determined by the indocyanine green dilution method (PV-ICG), and thoracic fluid content by thoracic ..
- Sodium depletion and hemoconcentration: overlooked complications in patients with anorexia nervosa?Lorenza Caregaro
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Nutrition 21:438-45. 2005..This study evaluated sodium and fluid balance disturbances in anorexia nervosa...
- The natriuretic and diuretic response to dopamine is maintained during rat pregnancyJennifer M Sasser
Dept of Physiology and Functional Genomics, Univ of Florida, PO Box 100274, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 294:F1342-4. 2008During pregnancy, there is a marked plasma volume expansion due to renal sodium retention...
- Intensity and physiological strain of competitive ultra-endurance exercise in humansSamuel J E Lucas
School of Physical Education, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
J Sports Sci 26:477-89. 2008..01), and increased plasma volume (25 +/- 10%; P < 0.01) with a stable sodium concentration...
- Does resistance exercise prevent body fluid changes after a 90-day bed rest?Eric Belin de Chantemele
Laboratoire de Physiologie de l Environnement, Faculte de Medecine, Lyon Grange Blanche, 8 avenue Rockefeller, 69373, Lyon, Cedex 08, France
Eur J Appl Physiol 92:555-64. 2004..Total body water (TBW, measured by isotope dilution) and plasma volume (PV, calculated from the haemoglobin and the haematocrit) were measured in a control group (Co, n=9) and a ..
- Angiotensin-(1-7) serves as an aquaretic by increasing water intake and diuresis in association with downregulation of aquaporin-1 during pregnancy in ratsJ Joyner
Hypertension and Vascular Research Center, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1032, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 294:R1073-80. 2008..In virgin and pregnant animals, A-779 administration had no effect on blood pressure, plasma volume, blood volume, or urinary electrolytes...
- Benefit of repeated receptor stimulation as a spaceflight medical tool to promote cardiovascular fitness: different orthostatic paradigms comparedHelmut Hinghofer-Szalkay
Institute of Physiology, Medical University, Harrachgasse 21, A 8010 Graz, Austria
Curr Pharm Biotechnol 6:253-66. 2005..Therefore, one of the questions asked in this study were if movement between the two defined body positions produces similar changes when employing Protocol X vs. Protocol Y...
- Comparison of effects of exercise and diuretic on left ventricular geometry, mass, and insulin resistance in older hypertensive adultsMorton R Rinder
Applied Physiology Section and Cardiovascular Division, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 287:R360-8. 2004..Unlike hydrochlorothiazide, exercise training can improve insulin resistance and aerobic capacity in older hypertensive people...
- The role of chloride in deoxycorticosterone hypertension: selective sodium loading by diet or drinking fluidJ Kunes
Center for Experimental Cardiovascular Research, Institute of Physiology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Prague, Czech Republic
Physiol Res 53:149-54. 2004..However, the absence of a significant plasma volume expansion together with hypernatremia and increased plasma osmolality suggest a considerable degree of ..
- Formerly preeclamptic women with a subnormal plasma volume are unable to maintain a rise in stroke volume during moderate exerciseRobert Aardenburg
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Hospital Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Soc Gynecol Investig 12:599-603. 2005In formerly preeclamptic women with a low plasma volume, the recurrence rate of preeclampsia is higher than in women with a normal prepregnant plasma volume...
- Splenic denervation worsens lipopolysaccharide-induced hypotension, hemoconcentration, and hypovolemiaP S Andrew
Departments of Physiology and Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2S2, Canada
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 280:R1564-72. 2001..LPS)-induced endotoxemia, increased intrasplenic fluid efflux contributes to a reduction in plasma volume. We hypothesized that splenic sympathetic nerve activity (SSNA), which increases during endotoxemia, limits ..
- Acute plasma volume expansion in the untrained alters the hormonal response to prolonged moderate-intensity exerciseB D Roy
Dept. of Kinesiology, University of Waterloo, ON, Canada
Horm Metab Res 33:238-45. 2001To investigate the role of an increase in plasma volume (PV), characteristically observed with short-term endurance training, on the endocrine response to prolonged moderate intensity exercise, eight untrained males (VO2 peak = 3...
- Effect of hypervolemia on heart rate during 4 days of prolonged exercisesR Mounier
Laboratoire de Biologie des Activités Physiques et Sportives, Faculte de Medecine, Clermont Ferrand, France
Int J Sports Med 24:523-9. 2003The aim was to evaluate the cardiodynamic adjustment during 4 days of prolonged exercises and to check if the plasma volume (PV) expansion which is observed generally during such events plays a role in this adaptation...
- Hemodynamic monitoring in high-risk obstetrics patients, I. Expected hemodynamic changes in pregnancyElizabeth J Bridges
59th Clinical Research Squadron, 59th Medical Wing, Lackland AFB, San Antonio, Tex, USA
Crit Care Nurse 23:53-62. 2003
- Effects of human pregnancy on fluid regulation responses to short-term exerciseAaron P Heenan
School of Physical and Health Education, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7L 3N6
J Appl Physiol 95:2321-7. 2003..This was attributed to the significantly augmented fluid volume state already present at rest in late gestation...
- Regional hemodynamics during postexercise hypotension. I. Splanchnic and renal circulationsMollie P Pricher
Department of Human Physiology, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403 1240, USA
J Appl Physiol 97:2065-70. 2004..Thus the splanchnic and renal vascular beds neither directly contribute to nor attenuate postexercise hypotension...
- The effects of dehydration on brain volume -- preliminary resultsJ M Dickson
Department of Biomedical Science, The University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Int J Sports Med 26:481-5. 2005..932, p=0.007). The changes in ventricular volume caused by dehydration were much larger than those seen in day-to-day fluctuations in a normally hydrated healthy control subject...
- No effect of fluid intake on neutrophil responses to prolonged cyclingN C Bishop
School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Loughborough University, Loughborough, UK
J Sports Sci 22:1091-8. 2004..These results suggest that in ambient environmental conditions, fluid ingestion alone has a negligible effect on circulating neutrophil and LPS-stimulated neutrophil degranulation responses to prolonged exercise...
- A subnormal plasma volume in formerly preeclamptic women is associated with a low venous capacitanceRobert Aardenburg
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Hospital Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Soc Gynecol Investig 12:107-11. 2005Pregnancy induces a smaller rise in plasma volume in formerly preeclamptic women with a pre-existent subnormal plasma volume than in their counterparts with a normal plasma volume...
- Comparison of a small volume of hypertonic saline solution and dextran 40 on hemodynamic alternations in conscious calvesKazuyuki Suzuki
Department of Veterinary Medicine, College of Bioresource Sciences, Nihon University, 1866 Kameino, Fujisawa, Kanagawa, Japan
J Vet Sci 6:111-6. 2005..HSS and D40 infusions induced a significant increase in relative plasma volume reaching 134.9+/-2.8 and 125.0+/-1.9%, respectively at the end of fluid infusion...
- Effects of sodium intake on plasma potassium and renin angiotensin aldosterone system in conscious dogsM J Kjolby
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Institute of Medical Biology, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
Acta Physiol Scand 184:225-34. 2005..The operating range of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system is ill-defined. This study quantifies renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system activity as a function of sodium intake...
- Blood rheological responses to running and cycling: a potential effect on the arterial hypoxemia of highly trained athletes?O Galy
UPRES EA 3596, Laboratoire ACTES, UFR STAPS Antilles Guyane, Pointe a Pitre, France
Int J Sports Med 26:9-15. 2005..H), blood viscosity (etab), plasma viscosity (etapl), index of erythrocyte rigidity (Tk), changes in plasma volume (DeltaPV), pulmonary diffusing capacity (DLco), and arteriolized blood gas (PaO2) were measured before and ..
- Rate and amplitude of adaptation to two intensities of exercise in men aged 65-75 yrGregory Gass
School of Physiotherapy and Exercise Science, Griffith University, Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Med Sci Sports Exerc 36:1811-8. 2004....
- Exercise with the intensity of the individual anaerobic threshold in acute hypoxiaBirgit Friedmann
Department of Sports Medicine, Medical Clinic and Policlinic, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Med Sci Sports Exerc 36:1737-42. 2004..15) defines equivalent relative submaximal intensities in these environmental conditions...
- Fluid-regulatory hormone responses during cycling exercise in acute hypobaric hypoxiaOlivier Bocqueraz
Department of Human Factors, National Health Research Center for Defense, CRSSA, La Tronche, France
Med Sci Sports Exerc 36:1730-6. 2004....
- Sodium Transport Inhibitors for Hypertension and Cystic FibrosisJohn H Streiff; Fiscal Year: 2010..rule in vascular physiology is that 2x plasma Na+ concentration equates with normal plasma osmolality and sets plasma volume and blood pressure, the physiological parameter that is elevated in hypertension...
- Sodium Transport Inhibitors for Hypertension and Cystic FibrosisErik Schwiebert; Fiscal Year: 2009..in vascular physiology is that 2 x plasma Na+ concentration equates with normal plasma osmolality and sets plasma volume and blood pressure, the physiological parameter that is elevated in hypertension...
- The baroreflex in pregnancy: effects of adrenal and placental steroidsMaureen Keller-Wood; Fiscal Year: 2012..We have found that reduction in maternal cortisol results in a deficiency in the normal expansion of maternal plasma volume. This model also causes reduced fetal blood pressure and increased incidence of fetal hypoxia and fetal and ..
- Aldosterone and Sodium Regulation in Postural Tachycardia SyndromeSatish R Raj; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have found low plasma volume in the majority of patients with POTS. This can trigger the sympathetic activation that drives the tachycardia...
- Blood Pressure Regulation by the Circadian Clock Protein Per1Michelle L Gumz; Fiscal Year: 2013..to hypothesize that Per1 action results in induction of renal sodium reabsorption with consequent increases in plasma volume and blood pressure...
- Clinical Trial of the FAST Real-Time GFR SystemBruce A Molitoris; Fiscal Year: 2011..proposes to test the FAST GFR SystemTM device in humans (Phase I Specific Aim 1) for determination of GFR and plasma volume, under an FDA- Investigational Device Exemption (IDE) Pilot Human Trial (A)...
- Protective role of ANP in the models of acute lung injuryAnna Birukova; Fiscal Year: 2013..Although physiological effects of ANP on the vascular tone, plasma volume, and renal function are well known, recent studies discovered novel ANP biological activities including ..
- Keratin biomaterial-based fluid for trauma resuscitationLUKE RUSSELL BURNETT; Fiscal Year: 2013..These include the ability to restore plasma volume, microcirculation, and oxygen delivery as well as practical items such as a low cost, low to no side effects, ..
- Calcium and Sodium Transport in HypertensionJohn M Hamlyn; Fiscal Year: 2012Salt retention and consequent plasma volume expansion inevitably cause elevation of blood pressure (BP) which, in the chronic state (hypertension), is sustained by increased total peripheral vascular resistance (TPR)...
- Studies on Serial Phlebotomy in Voluntary Blood DonorsStuart D Katz; Fiscal Year: 2013..transient hyperhomocysteinemia, serum and urinary measures of iron stores and oxidative stress, red cell and plasma volume, regional arterial wall shear stress, and erythropoietin levels will be obtained before and after the assigned ..
- ACE2 Deficiency: A new model of maternal and fetal growth restriction.Liliya M Yamaleyeva; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will determine the metabolic and hemodynamic (plasma volume, uteroplacental flow and vascular resistance) consequences of loss of ACE2 during pregnancy...
- Development of a Fiberless Transflectance Noninvasive Glucose MonitorStevan Kun; Fiscal Year: 2012..blood volume variation patterns during measurement;2) develop a new method to precisely measure plasma volume variation during fingertip reperfusion;3) develop advanced signal processing and feature extraction techniques ..
- Prepregnancy Phenotype and Predisposition to PreeclampsiaIRA MARK BERNSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..We suggested that low prepregnancy plasma volume was an important marker for those at risk and that volume expansion was the critical pregnancy specific ..
- Intensive glycemic control for congestive heart failure exacerbationKATHLEEN MARIE DUNGAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..of autonomic tone (blood pressure variability [BPV] and catecholamine levels), physiologic parameters, such as plasma volume, cardiac index, and BNP, quality of life, and finally the effects on adiponectin isomers, which are important ..
- CT Monitoring of AngiogenesisBenjamin M Yeh; Fiscal Year: 2010..are feasible MMCMs that can be used to obtain accurate measurements of microvascular leakiness and fractional plasma volume in a rat model at CT...
- ROLE OF CHLORIDE IN SODIUM-DEPENDENT HYPERTENSIONTheodore Kurtz; Fiscal Year: 1990..The changes in body weight, extracellular fluid volume, plasma volume, external balances of minerals and electrolytes, and plasma concentrations of renin, aldosterone, ..
- HYPOTHALAMIC OPIATES IN OBESITY-ACCELERATED HYPERTENSIONRobin Rockhold; Fiscal Year: 1991..abnormalities associated with obesity-accelerated hypertension will be identified by measuring alterations in plasma volume (radio-iodinated serum albumin dilution) and baroreflex sensitivity in conscious, unrestrained rats following ..
- MATERNAL DEHYDRATION--FETAL/AMNIOTIC FLUID HOMEOSTASISMichael Ross; Fiscal Year: 2002..Long term studies will examine the effects of hyponatremia on ovine AF volume, maternal plasma volume and umbilical and uterine blood flows in both normal and oligohydramnios ovine pregnancies...
- Neural and non-neural modulators of skin blood flow and sweating in humansCRAIG CRANDALL; Fiscal Year: 2009..Moreover, profuse sweating that occurs during heat stress contributes to impaired blood pressure control if plasma volume is sufficiently reduced...
- VASOTOCIN RECEPTORSPATRICK EGGENA; Fiscal Year: 1990The antidiuretic hormone, vasopressin (AVP), plays an important role in the regulation of plasma volume and osmolality by triggering the reabsorption of water, urea, and sodium from the forming uring in the kidney...
- DETERMINANTS OF SODIUM RETENTION IN CIRRHOSISWILLIAM RECTOR; Fiscal Year: 1992..hypothesis is that renal sodium retention is caused by impaired liver metabolic function, ascites" as plasma volume expands...
- CONTROL OF SODIUM INTAKE IN THE HINDLIMB UNWEIGHTED RATJ Cunningham; Fiscal Year: 2005..HU results in a central movement of body fluid, diuresis and natriuresis, resulting in a decrease in plasma volume. We have observed that rats increase ingestion of saline solution during 24h HU...
- Imprint Osmoregulation/Maternally-Dehydrated OffspringMina Desai; Fiscal Year: 2007..such that the female offspring may not appropriately reset their plasma osmolality and adequately expand their plasma volume during their subsequent pregnancies...
- Resuscitating Blood-Substituted Hypothermic DogsHal Sternberg; Fiscal Year: 2005..combining very low temperatures with total exsanguination and blood substitution with BioTime's FDA-approved plasma volume expander Hextend(r)...
- PREVENTION AND TREATMENT OF HUMAN OLIGOHYDRAMNIOSMichael Ross; Fiscal Year: 2001Early in normal human pregnancy, maternal plasma osmolality decreases and plasma volume increases...
- EXERCISE TRAINING AND BARORECEPTOR FUNCTIONPeter Raven; Fiscal Year: 1990..Endurance exercise training is known to produce an increase in total blood volume, primarily plasma volume and a parasympathetically dominated autonomic nervous system (ANS)...
- NEURAL SYSTEMS REGULATING VASOPRESSIN RELEASEJ Cunningham; Fiscal Year: 2002..Changes in blood pressure, plasma volume, osmolality and the concentration of circulating hormones all influence the activity of vasopressin neurons in ..
- Angiotensin (1-7) in Normal and Preeclamptic PregnancyDavid Merrill; Fiscal Year: 2004..The cardiovascular consequences of normal pregnancy include an increase in cardiac output by 30-40 percent and plasma volume by 50 percent, which are associated with a decrease in total peripheral resistance (TPR)...
- SODIUM CHLORIDE AND HYPERTENSIONTheodore Kotchen; Fiscal Year: 1990..In the rat and man, we will measure cardiac output, ECF volume, and plasma volume. Sympathetic tone will be assessed by basal and stimulated plasma catecholamines (rat and man), tissue ..
- The Effects of Hydrotherapy on Anxiety and Pain in LaborREBECCA BENFIELD; Fiscal Year: 2005..and pain; physiological measures will include plasma catecholamines, cortisol, beta endorphin, oxytocin, plasma volume shift, and uterine contractility, and will be analyzed using HPLC, EIA, RIA, hemoglobin (HGB) and hematocrit (..
- ANGIOTENSINOGEN VARIANTS AND ADVERSE PREGNANCY OUTCOMESKenneth Ward; Fiscal Year: 2002..that disease-associated angiotensinogen alleles promote abnormal spiral artery remodeling and inhibit maternal plasma volume expansion...
- RENAL HEMODYNAMIC ABNORMALITIES IN EARLY DIABETESNORMAN BANK; Fiscal Year: 1991..We will measure plasma volume, renin, atrail natriuretic factor (ANF) and correlated these with renal hemodynamics in order to determine the ..
- Excercise induced rise in Severity of Altitude IllnessRobert Roach; Fiscal Year: 2004..We also recently showed that subjects ill with AMS had a small drop in plasma volume and a large rise in extracellular water compared to those that remained free of AMS...
- BLOOD VOLUME AND VENOUS RETURN IN THERMAL STRAINGary Mack; Fiscal Year: 2003..the applicant's abstract): The overall aim of this renewal proposal is to uncover the mechanisms that underlie plasma volume expansion. They have developed two models to study these mechanisms...
- LONG-TERM REGULATION OF BLOOD VOLUME BY THE FETUSDebra Anderson; Fiscal Year: 1993..of blood volume often fail to consider the possibility of at least two different mechanisms controlling plasma volume and red cell mass, and the relative importance of these mechanisms over time...
- LUNG CAPILLARY EFFECTS OF HYPERONCOTIC ALBUMINJahar Bhattacharya; Fiscal Year: 1999..post-operative and post-trauma therapy of fluid imbalance, intravenous hyperoncotic albumin is widely used for plasma volume expansion...
- HEAT STRESS AND THERMOREGULATION: AGE AND GENDER EFFECTSW Kenney; Fiscal Year: 1991..percentage changes in blood volume, red cell volume, and plasma volume due to exercise in these environments, and 5...
- Nitric Oxide and Endothelin in Endotoxemic Renal FailureBrian Poole; Fiscal Year: 2003..nitric oxide (NO) generated by the inducible isoform of nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and 2) reduced plasma volume due to increased endothelin (ET- 1)-induced capillary leak...
- PLASMA PROTEIN CONCENTRATION MONITOR FOR HEMODIALYSISLIAN PIN LEE; Fiscal Year: 1999..and blood volume through a saline infusion protocol and the use of changes in hematocrit and PPC for assessing plasma volume change and microvascular blood pooling...
- OPIOID CONTROL OF THE NEUROENDOCRINE SUPRAOPTIC NUCLEUSPeter Cobbett; Fiscal Year: 1992Vasopressin and oxytocin have crucial roles in the maintenance of plasma volume and osmolality and in various reproductive functions in mammals...
- GLOMERULAR HEMODYNAMIC ALTERATIONS IN DIABETES MELLITUSBryan Tucker; Fiscal Year: 1990..The changes in intracellular, extracellular and plasma volume will be evaluated in the early phases and chronic stages of diabetes mellitus in the rat...
- SELECTIVE SODIUM-SENSITIVITY IN SALT-SENSITIVE BLACKSRalph Morris; Fiscal Year: 2006..concentration of Na +, but does not require, as the hypothesis of Guyton does, a NaCI-mediated increase in plasma volume that entrains an increase in cardiac output...
- The Ubiquitin Ligase NEDD4L in Blood Pressure RegulationJean Marc Lalouel; Fiscal Year: 2006..Rationale. The epithelial sodium channel (ENaC) affects plasma volume and blood pressure (BP) through sodium reabsorption in the aldosterone-sensitive distal nephron (ASDN)...
- CAPILLARY TRANSPORT OF LARGE MOLECULESEUGENE RENKIN; Fiscal Year: 1993..Normal animals and animal models of abnormal states will be studied. Among the latter are plasma volume expansion and contraction, analbuminemia and various forms of microvascular injury...
- SEX HORMONES AND BODY FLUID REGULATIONNINA STACHENFELD; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Estrogen & Progesterone Effects on Orthostatic ToleranceNINA STACHENFELD; Fiscal Year: 2010..We also expect that the data in these studies will provide a basis to study the impact of sex hormones on diseases related to compromised peripheral circulation, such as hypertension, Raynaud's phenomenon and diabetes ..
- RENAL INTERSTITIAL HYDROSTATIC PRESSURE IN PREGNANCYALI KHRAIBI; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Neighborhood Environments and Disparities in Obesity Rates in New York CityAndrew G Rundle; Fiscal Year: 2010..Furthermore, the analyses will be used to guide New York City's ongoing long term planning process for using urban design to promote public health...
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF THE AGING KIDNEYSharon Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2001..The use of a combined physiological, biochemical, immunohistochemical, and molecular biologic approach should gain insight into this clinically important but understudied problem. ..
- The Epidemiology of Physical Activity and Lung CancerAndrew Rundle; Fiscal Year: 2006..Both projects are directed at the development of new lung cancer prevention programs that can supplement current smoking prevention and cessation programs. ..
- MRI Measure of Blood Brain Barrier PermeabilityJames Ewing; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will demonstrate these measures in 9L tumors in Fischer 344 rats, and in reperfused ischemic infarction in Wistar rats. ..
- fMRI and neuronal activity in awake behaviorJOSEPH MANDEVILLE; Fiscal Year: 2006..Finally, we will test the neural-fMRI relationship in a higher-order region of visual cortex which appears to be specialized for processing faces and other visual objects. ..
- Iron fMRI: Improving Sensitivty and localizationJOSEPH MANDEVILLE; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- FMRI STUDY OF CNS PHYSIOLOGY DURING COCAINE RESPONSEJOSEPH MANDEVILLE; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies seek to validate the physiological basis of a promising new technology for study of psychoactive drug action in brain and to increase our understanding of the neurobiology of cocaine. ..
- Renal medullary COX-2 in blood pressure controlTianxin Yang; Fiscal Year: 2008..The information resulted from these studies will provide new insight into the molecular mechanism responsible for long-term control of arterial blood pressure. ..
- Automated Alignment of MRI Rodent Brain to Sterotaxic AtlasesJOSEPH MANDEVILLE; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- IMPROVEMENT OF MEMBRANE BIOLOGY FACILITYFITZ ROY CURRY; Fiscal Year: 2002..That project addressed other laboratory and basic infrastructure deficiencies in the same building that contains the subject laboratories in the current application. ..
- NEW APPROACH TO ENDOTHELIAL CLEFT STRUCTUREFitz Roy E Curry; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our experiments evaluate the common mechanical properties of the endothelial glycocalyx that modulate water, solute, leukocyte, and red cell fluxes at the endothelial cell surface. ..
- MRI MEASUREMENT OF RELATIVE CMR02-- VALIDATION USING PETJOSEPH MANDEVILLE; Fiscal Year: 2001..Successful completion of the proposed studies will establish, a new tool for assessment of cerebral functional physiology and preface the application of these techniques to cerebral pathology. ..
- MECHANISMS OF HYPOALBUMINEMIA IN ENDSTAGE RENAL DISEASEGeorge Kaysen; Fiscal Year: 2001..We will further establish the effect of KT/V, dialyzer permeability and reuse on changes in albumin, nutritional status and acute phase response. ..
- Obesity, Physical Activity and Built Space in New York CityAndrew Rundle; Fiscal Year: 2009..This research on the phsyical environment and adaption to it, will identify strategies for building and organizing communites that increase physical activity, improve diets and reduce obesity. ..