- Theoretical basis, experimental design, and computerized simulation of synergism and antagonism in drug combination studies
Ting Chao Chou
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Pharmacol Rev 58:621-81. 2006
- Drug combination studies and their synergy quantification using the Chou-Talalay method
Ting Chao Chou
Molecular Pharmacology and Chemistry Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Cancer Res 70:440-6. 2010
..This theory also provides algorithms for automated computer simulation for synergism and/or antagonism at any effect and dose level, as shown in the CI plot and isobologram, respectively...
- mTOR inhibition induces upstream receptor tyrosine kinase signaling and activates Akt
Kathryn E O'Reilly
Program in Molecular Pharmacy and Chemistry, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Cancer Res 66:1500-8. 2006
..Reversal of this feedback loop by rapamycin may attenuate its therapeutic effects, whereas combination therapy that ablates mTOR function and prevents Akt activation may have improved antitumor activity...
- An inhibitor of Bcl-2 family proteins induces regression of solid tumours
Idun Pharmaceuticals, 9380 Judicial Drive, San Diego, California 92121, USA
Nature 435:677-81. 2005
- ABT-263: a potent and orally bioavailable Bcl-2 family inhibitor
Global Pharmaceutical Research and Development, Abbott Laboratories, Abbott Park, IL 60064 6101, USA
Cancer Res 68:3421-8. 2008
..The oral efficacy of ABT-263 should provide dosing flexibility to maximize clinical utility both as a single agent and in combination regimens...
- Drug synergism: its detection and applications
R J Tallarida
Department of Pharmacology, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19140, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 298:865-72. 2001
..Even when a single drug (or site) is used, its introduction places it in potential contact with a myriad of chemicals already in the system, a fact that underscores the importance of this topic in other areas of biological investigation...
- Synergy, antagonism, and what the chequerboard puts between them
F C Odds
J Antimicrob Chemother 52:1. 2003
- Synergy research: approaching a new generation of phytopharmaceuticals
Department of Pharmacy, Center of Pharma Research, Ludwig Maximilians University, Butenandtstr 5 13, House B, D 81377 Munich, Germany
Phytomedicine 16:97-110. 2009
..This new generation of phytopharmaceuticals could lend phytotherapy a new legitimacy and enable their use to treat diseases which have hitherto been treated using synthetic drugs alone...
- The unfolded protein response regulator GRP78/BiP as a novel target for increasing chemosensitivity in malignant gliomas
Department of Pathology, and University of Southern California Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
Cancer Res 67:9809-16. 2007
- Rapid mobilization of murine and human hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells with AMD3100, a CXCR4 antagonist
Hal E Broxmeyer
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Exp Med 201:1307-18. 2005
..These results support the hypothesis that the CXCL12-CXCR4 axis is involved in marrow retention of HSCs and HPCs, and demonstrate the clinical potential of AMD3100 for HSC mobilization...
- Synergistic drug combinations tend to improve therapeutically relevant selectivity
CombinatoRx Inc, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Biotechnol 27:659-66. 2009
..The context specificity of synergistic combinations creates many opportunities for therapeutically relevant selectivity and enables improved control of complex biological systems...
- Mechanisms of drug combinations: interaction and network perspectives
Bioinformatics and Drug Design Group, Department of Pharmacy, Department of Biological Science, Center for Computational Science and Engineering, National University of Singapore, Singapore 117543
Nat Rev Drug Discov 8:111-28. 2009
..Analysis of the 117 drug combinations identified reveals general and specific modes of action, and highlights the potential value of molecular interaction profiles in the discovery of novel multicomponent therapies...
- Proteotoxic stress targeted therapy (PSTT): induction of protein misfolding enhances the antitumor effect of the proteasome inhibitor bortezomib
Department of Cell Stress Biology, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
Oncotarget 2:209-21. 2011
..These results provide support for using combination treatments that disrupt the balance of PS and HSR to increase the therapeutic index of anticancer therapies...
- Curcumin (diferuloylmethane) down-regulates the constitutive activation of nuclear factor-kappa B and IkappaBalpha kinase in human multiple myeloma cells, leading to suppression of proliferation and induction of apoptosis
Alok C Bharti
Cytokine Research Section, Department of Bioimmunotherapy, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Blood 101:1053-62. 2003
- Drug interactions and the evolution of antibiotic resistance
Pamela J Yeh
Department of Systems Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nat Rev Microbiol 7:460-6. 2009
..Furthermore, theoretical models and new experiments suggest that antagonistic interactions between antibiotics can counteract the evolution of drug resistance...
- Enhancing the apoptotic and therapeutic effects of HDAC inhibitors
Ailsa J Frew
Cancer Immunology Program, The Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, Trescowthick Research Laboratories, East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Cancer Lett 280:125-33. 2009
..In addition, we highlight the ability of HDACi to synergise with other anti-cancer agents to potently kill tumor cells and discuss the possible molecular processes that underpin the combination effect...
- Chloroquine and its analogs: a new promise of an old drug for effective and safe cancer therapies
V Raja Solomon
Tumor Biology Group, Northeastern Ontario Regional Cancer Program at the Sudbury Regional Hospital, 41 Ramsey Lake Road, Sudbury, Ontario, Canada P3E 5J1
Eur J Pharmacol 625:220-33. 2009
..Taken together, it appears that the efficacy of conventional cancer therapies can be dramatically enhanced if used in combination with CQ and its analogs...
- Targeting cancer cell metabolism: the combination of metformin and 2-deoxyglucose induces p53-dependent apoptosis in prostate cancer cells
Issam Ben Sahra
Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Nice Sophia Antipolis, Institut Signalisation et Pathologies, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, U895, Nice, France
Cancer Res 70:2465-75. 2010
..Our study reinforces the growing interest of metabolic perturbators in cancer therapy and highlights the potential use of the combination of metformin and 2DG as an anticancerous treatment...
- Disulfiram-mediated inhibition of NF-kappaB activity enhances cytotoxicity of 5-fluorouracil in human colorectal cancer cell lines
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Foresterhill, Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Int J Cancer 104:504-11. 2003
..As DS has extensive preclinical and clinical experience, translating its anticancer usage from in vitro study to clinical trials is relatively straightforward...
- 2-deoxy-D-glucose increases the efficacy of adriamycin and paclitaxel in human osteosarcoma and non-small cell lung cancers in vivo
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, University of Miami, School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33101, USA
Cancer Res 64:31-4. 2004
..Overall, these results, combined with our in vitro data, provide a rationale for initiating clinical trials using glycolytic inhibitors in combination with chemotherapeutic agents to increase their therapeutic effectiveness...
- Synergistic effect of calcineurin inhibitors and fluconazole against Candida albicans biofilms
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:1127-32. 2008
..This drug synergism is attributable to two effects: first, calcineurin inhibitors render fluconazole fungicidal rather than simply ..
- Pharmacologic ascorbate synergizes with gemcitabine in preclinical models of pancreatic cancer
Michael Graham Espey
Molecular and Clinical Nutrition Section, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 50:1610-9. 2011
..These data support the testing of pharmacologic ascorbate in adjunctive treatments for cancers prone to high failure rates with conventional therapeutic regimens, such as pancreatic cancer...
- TRAIL/Apo-2L: mechanisms and clinical applications in cancer
R K Srivastava
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Maryland School of Pharmacy Greenebaum Cancer Center, 20 North Pine Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Neoplasia 3:535-46. 2001
..Nontagged Apo-2L/TRAIL does not cause hepatotoxicity in monkeys and chimpanzees and in normal human hepatocytes. Thus, nontagged Apo-2L/TRAIL appears to be a promising new candidate for use in the treatment of cancer...
- Revisiting the isobole and related quantitative methods for assessing drug synergism
Ronald J Tallarida
Department of Pharmacology and Center for Substance Abuse Research, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19140, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 342:2-8. 2012
- Therapeutic efficacy of ABT-737, a selective inhibitor of BCL-2, in small cell lung cancer
Christine L Hann
Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Cancer Res 68:2321-8. 2008
..Taken together, these data have specific implications for the clinical development of Bcl-2 inhibitors for SCLC and broader implications for the testing of novel anticancer strategies in relevant preclinical models...
- Modeling of tumor growth and anticancer effects of combination therapy
Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Konstanz, Germany
J Pharmacokinet Pharmacodyn 36:179-97. 2009
..The unique feature of the presented approach is the ability to characterize the nature of combined drug interaction as well as to quantify the intensity of such interactions by assessing the time course of combined drug effect...
- Everolimus restores gefitinib sensitivity in resistant non-small cell lung cancer cell lines
Silvia La Monica
Department of Experimental Medicine, University of Parma, Via Volturno 39, 43100 Parma, Italy
Biochem Pharmacol 78:460-8. 2009
..These data suggest that treatment with everolimus and gefitinib might be of value in the treatment of selected NSCLC patients that exhibit high tumor proliferative activity...
- Synergy and other interactions in phytomedicines
E M Williamson
The School of Pharmacy, University of London, United Kingdom
Phytomedicine 8:401-9. 2001
..Herbs discussed include Ginkgo biloba, Piper methysticum (Kava-Kava), Glycyrrhiza glabra, Hypericum perforatum, Valeriana officinalis, Cannabis sativa, Salix alba and others...
- Enhancing antibiotic activity: a strategy to control Acinetobacter infections
Natural Products Research Center and Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Science, Prince of Songkla University, Hat Yai, Songkla, Thailand
J Antimicrob Chemother 64:1203-11. 2009
..We describe the activity of ellagic and tannic acids as adjuvants that enhance the activity of aminocoumarin antibiotics against multidrug-resistant (MDR) Acinetobacter baumannii...
- Prostratin: activation of latent HIV-1 expression suggests a potential inductive adjuvant therapy for HAART
Dorrance H Hamilton Laboratories, Center for Human Virology, Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Blood 98:3006-15. 2001
..This novel observation suggests the agent may be an excellent candidate to augment HAART by inducing expression of latent HIV-1 with the ultimate goal of eliminating persistent viral reservoirs in certain individuals infected with HIV-1...
- Ginkgo biloba extract enhances antiplatelet and antithrombotic effects of cilostazol without prolongation of bleeding time
Keun Ho Ryu
Pharmacology Team, Life Science R and D Center, SK Chemicals, Korea
Thromb Res 124:328-34. 2009
..With these studies, we suggest that combinative therapy of GB and cilostazol might offer enhanced anti-thrombotic efficacies without increasing side-effects...
- Synergism between natural products and antibiotics against infectious diseases
Department of Biotechnology, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai 600 036, India
Phytomedicine 15:639-52. 2008
..The mode of action of combination differs significantly than that of the same drugs acting individually; hence isolating a single component may lose its importance thereby simplifying the task of pharma industries...
- Sulforaphane sensitizes tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL)-resistant hepatoma cells to TRAIL-induced apoptosis through reactive oxygen species-mediated up-regulation of DR5
Institute for Medical Sciences and Department of Surgery, Ajou University School of Medicine, Suwon, South Korea 442 749
Cancer Res 66:1740-50. 2006
- Inhibition of phosphatidylinositol 3'-kinase increases efficacy of paclitaxel in in vitro and in vivo ovarian cancer models
Center for Reproductive Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0556, USA
Cancer Res 62:1087-92. 2002
..Our data suggest that a combination of a PI3k inhibitor and conventional chemotherapy may provide an effective approach to inhibiting tumor growth and ascites production in ovarian cancer with acceptable side effects...
- The novel orally bioavailable inhibitor of phosphoinositol-3-kinase and mammalian target of rapamycin, NVP-BEZ235, inhibits growth and proliferation in multiple myeloma
Department of Hematology and Oncology Medizinische Klinik Innenstadt, Klinikum der Universitat Munchen, Germany
Exp Cell Res 315:485-97. 2009
..Taken together, inhibition of PI3 kinase/mTOR by NVP-BEZ235 is highly effective and NVP-BEZ235 represents a potential new candidate for targeted therapy in multiple myeloma...
- Temsirolimus downregulates p21 without altering cyclin D1 expression and induces autophagy and synergizes with vorinostat in mantle cell lymphoma
Victor Y Yazbeck
Department of Lymphoma Myeloma, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Tex 77030, USA
Exp Hematol 36:443-50. 2008
..To investigate the mechanisms of antiproliferative effect induced by the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) inhibitor temsirolimus in mantle cell lymphoma (MCL)...
- Curcumin potentiates antitumor activity of gemcitabine in an orthotopic model of pancreatic cancer through suppression of proliferation, angiogenesis, and inhibition of nuclear factor-kappaB-regulated gene products
Ajaikumar B Kunnumakkara
Department of Experimental Therapeutics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cancer Res 67:3853-61. 2007
..018 versus control). Overall, our results suggest that curcumin potentiates the antitumor effects of gemcitabine in pancreatic cancer by suppressing proliferation, angiogenesis, NF-kappaB, and NF-kappaB-regulated gene products...
- Heat shock protein 90 inhibitor is synergistic with JAK2 inhibitor and overcomes resistance to JAK2-TKI in human myeloproliferative neoplasm cells
The University of Kansas Cancer Center, Kansas City, USA
Clin Cancer Res 17:7347-58. 2011
..1.7 and UKE-1) or primary human CD34(+) myeloproliferative neoplasm (MPN) cells...
- Dual PI3K/AKT/mTOR inhibitor BEZ235 synergistically enhances the activity of JAK2 inhibitor against cultured and primary human myeloproliferative neoplasm cells
The University of Kansas Cancer Center, Kansas City, KS, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 12:577-88. 2013
..These findings create a compelling rationale to determine the in vivo activity of dual PI3K/mTOR inhibitors in combination with JAK inhibitors against myelofibrosis HPCs...
- Cytotoxic activity of the novel Akt inhibitor, MK-2206, in T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia
Department of Morphology and Embryology, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
Leukemia 26:2336-42. 2012
..Taken together, our findings indicate that Akt inhibition may represent a potential therapeutic strategy in T-ALL...
- HDAC inhibitor vorinostat enhances the antitumor effect of gefitinib in squamous cell carcinoma of head and neck by modulating ErbB receptor expression and reverting EMT
Experimental Pharmacology Unit, Department of Research, National Cancer Institute Fondazione G Pascale, Naples, Italy
J Cell Physiol 226:2378-90. 2011
..Overall, this study suggests that the vorinostat/gefitinib combination represents a promising therapeutic strategy that warrants further clinical evaluation in SCCHN, including tumors intrinsically resistant to EGFR-inhibitors...
- Vertical targeting of the phosphatidylinositol-3 kinase pathway as a strategy for treating melanoma
Saadia A Aziz
Department of Pathology, Yale University School of Medicine, Yale Cancer Center, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
Clin Cancer Res 16:6029-39. 2010
..Phosphatidylinositol-3 kinase (PI3K) is an important target in melanoma; however, activity of PI3K inhibitors (PI3KI) is limited. Our purpose was to assess mTOR as a cotarget for PI3K...
- Synergistic activation of functional estrogen receptor (ER)-alpha by DNA methyltransferase and histone deacetylase inhibition in human ER-alpha-negative breast cancer cells
The Johns Hopkins Oncology Center, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
Cancer Res 61:7025-9. 2001
..These data suggest that the activities of both DNMT1 and HDAC are key regulators of methylation-mediated ER gene silencing...
- Feedback mechanisms promote cooperativity for small molecule inhibitors of epidermal and insulin-like growth factor receptors
Translational Research, Cancer Biology, OSI Pharmaceuticals, Farmingdale, New York 11735, USA
Cancer Res 68:8322-32. 2008
..Collectively, these data show that resistance to inhibition of MEK, mTOR, and EGFR is associated with enhanced IGF-IR-directed Akt signaling, where all affect feedback loops converging at the level of IRS-1...
- Defining the target specificity of ABT-737 and synergistic antitumor activities in combination with histone deacetylase inhibitors
Kate F Whitecross
Cancer Immunology Program, The Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, Trescowthick Research Laboratories, East Melbourne, Australia
Blood 113:1982-91. 2009
..Our studies provide important preclinical data on the binding specificity of ABT-737 and its usefulness against primary hematologic malignancies when used as a single agent and in combination with HDACi...
- Buthionine sulfoximine enhancement of arsenic trioxide-induced apoptosis in leukemia and lymphoma cells is mediated via activation of c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase and up-regulation of death receptors
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029 6547, USA
Cancer Res 66:11416-23. 2006
..These observations suggest that a DR-mediated pathway activated by JNK is involved in apoptosis induced by treatment with As(2)O(3) plus BSO...
- Pharmacologic concentrations of ascorbate are achieved by parenteral administration and exhibit antitumoral effects
PMNT Unit, Louvain Drug Research Institute, Universite Catholique de Louvain, 1200 Bruxelles, Belgium
Free Radic Biol Med 47:32-40. 2009
..Taken together, these results confirm that oral and parenteral administration of ascorbate are not comparable, the latter resulting in pharmacologic concentrations of ascorbate that exhibit interesting anticancer properties...
- Enhanced caspase-8 recruitment to and activation at the DISC is critical for sensitisation of human hepatocellular carcinoma cells to TRAIL-induced apoptosis by chemotherapeutic drugs
T M Ganten
Divison of Apoptosis Regulation, German Cancer Research Center DKFZ, Heidelberg, Germany
Cell Death Differ 11:S86-96. 2004
- Inhibition of autophagy by 3-MA enhances the effect of 5-FU-induced apoptosis in colon cancer cells
Department of General Surgical Science Surgery I, Graduate School of Medicine, Gunma University, Maebashi, Gunma 371 8511, Japan
Ann Surg Oncol 16:761-71. 2009
..However, 5-FU resistance in the course of treatment has become more common. Therefore, new therapeutic strategies and/or new adjuvant drugs still need to be explored...
- Small molecule XIAP inhibitors enhance TRAIL-induced apoptosis and antitumor activity in preclinical models of pancreatic carcinoma
University Children s Hospital, Ulm University, Ulm, Germany
Cancer Res 69:2425-34. 2009
..These findings build the rationale for further (pre)clinical development of XIAP inhibitors and TRAIL against pancreatic cancer...
- (-)-Epigallocatechin gallate overcomes resistance to etoposide-induced cell death by targeting the molecular chaperone glucose-regulated protein 78
Svetlana P Ermakova
Hormel Institute, University of Minnesota, Austin, Minnesota
Cancer Res 66:9260-9. 2006
- Sorafenib inhibits STAT3 activation to enhance TRAIL-mediated apoptosis in human pancreatic cancer cells
Divisions of Oncology and Gastroenterology Hepatology, Mayo Cancer Center, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 9:742-50. 2010
..These data indicate that targeting STAT3 may enhance treatment efficacy against pancreatic cancer...
- Inactivation of nuclear factor kappaB by soy isoflavone genistein contributes to increased apoptosis induced by chemotherapeutic agents in human cancer cells
Department of Pathology and Internal Medicine, Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Cancer Res 65:6934-42. 2005
..Theses results warrant carefully designed clinical studies investigating the combination of soy isoflavones and commonly used chemotherapeutic agents for the treatment of human cancers...
- Epigenetics and cancer treatment
Lasse Sommer Kristensen
Institute of Human Genetics, The Bartholin Building, University of Aarhus, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Eur J Pharmacol 625:131-42. 2009
..Finally, we will discuss the potential of DNA methylation changes as biomarkers to be used in diverse areas of cancer treatment, especially for predicting response to treatment with DNMT and HDAC inhibitors...
- Prospects for plant-derived antibacterials
Antimicrobial Discovery Center and Department of Biology, Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nat Biotechnol 24:1504-7. 2006
..Can weakly active phytochemicals be combined synergistically to produce new antibacterial treatments?..
- Selenium sensitizes MCF-7 breast cancer cells to doxorubicin-induced apoptosis through modulation of phospho-Akt and its downstream substrates
Department of Cancer Chemoprevention, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Elm and Carlton Streets, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 6:1031-8. 2007
..The functional significance of Bim was confirmed by the observation that RNA interference of Bim markedly reduced the potency of selenium/doxorubicin to induce apoptosis...
- Targeting melanoma with dual phosphoinositide 3-kinase/mammalian target of rapamycin inhibitors
Department of Biomedicine, University of Basel, Mattenstrasse 28, CH 4058 Basel, Switzerland
Mol Cancer Res 7:601-13. 2009
..Based on the above results, NVP-BEZ235, which has entered phase I/II clinical trials in patients with advanced solid tumors, has a potential in metastatic melanoma therapy...
- The combination of RAD001 and NVP-BEZ235 exerts synergistic anticancer activity against non-small cell lung cancer in vitro and in vivo
Cheng Xiong Xu
Department of Hematology and Medical Oncology, Emory University School of Medicine and Winship Cancer Institute, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e20899. 2011
..Taken together, our results suggest that the combination of RAD001 and BEZ235 is a novel strategy for cancer therapy...
- Antitumor effects of doxorubicin followed by zoledronic acid in a mouse model of breast cancer
Penelope D Ottewell
Academic Unit of Clinical Oncology, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Sheffield, Beech Hill Road, Sheffield, S10 2RX, UK
J Natl Cancer Inst 100:1167-78. 2008
..We investigated the effects of clinically achievable doses of doxorubicin (Dox) and Zol, given alone, in sequence, and in combination, on the growth of established breast tumors in vivo...
- Antimalarial drug synergism and antagonism: mechanistic and clinical significance
Department of Microbiology, Moyne Institute of Preventive Medicine, University of Dublin Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland
FEMS Microbiol Lett 253:171-84. 2005
..This review discusses recent findings on antimalarial drug interactions and some pitfalls in their analysis and interpretation. The conclusions are likely to have relevance to other antimicrobial agents...
- Ribavirin potentiates interferon action by augmenting interferon-stimulated gene induction in hepatitis C virus cell culture models
Liver Diseases Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Hepatology 53:32-41. 2011
..RNA interference studies excluded the activation of the Toll-like receptor and nuclear factor κB pathways in the action of ribavirin...
- Caspase-3 cleaves XIAP in a positive feedback loop to sensitize melanoma cells to TRAIL-induced apoptosis
Institute of Cell Biology and Immunology, University of Stuttgart, Stuttgart, Baden Wurttemberg, Germany
Oncogene 30:575-87. 2011
..The molecular mechanism discovered here appears to have broader implications, because cleavage of XIAP was also shown to accompany cisplatin-induced sensitization of melanoma cells to TRAIL...
- Using chemopreventive agents to enhance the efficacy of cancer therapy
Fazlul H Sarkar
Department of Pathology, Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 740 Hudson Webber Cancer Research Center, 110 East Warren, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Cancer Res 66:3347-50. 2006
..In this article, we summarize the findings of recent investigations of chemopreventive agents in combination with cancer treatment regimens...
- Bacterial efflux pump inhibitors from natural sources
Centre for Pharmacognosy and Phytotherapy, The School of Pharmacy, University of London 29 39 Brunswick Square, London, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 59:1247-60. 2007
..The resistance-modifying activities of many new chemical classes of EPIs warrant further studies to assess their potential as leads for clinical development...
- Insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor inhibition induces a resistance mechanism via the epidermal growth factor receptor/HER3/AKT signaling pathway: rational basis for cotargeting insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor and epidermal growth factor receptor
UPMC Univ Paris 06, Paris, France
Clin Cancer Res 15:5445-56. 2009
..Therefore, we investigated whether the specific targeting of the IGF type 1 receptor (IGF-1R) might represent a new therapeutic approach for this tumor...
- Orally administered FTS (salirasib) inhibits human pancreatic tumor growth in nude mice
Department of Neurobiochemistry, George S Wise Faculty of Life Sciences, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, 69978, Israel
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 61:89-96. 2008
- Histone deacetylase inhibitors: mechanisms of cell death and promise in combination cancer therapy
Jennifer S Carew
The Institute for Drug Development, Cancer Therapy and Research Center, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 14960 Omicron Drive, San Antonio, TX 78245, USA
Cancer Lett 269:7-17. 2008
..Here we summarize the different mechanisms of HDAC inhibitor-induced apoptosis and discuss their use in combination with other anticancer agents...
- Vorinostat eliminates multicellular resistance of mesothelioma 3D spheroids via restoration of Noxa expression
Lung Biology Center, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e52753. 2012
..Whereas neither vorinostat nor bortezomib alone has been clinically effective in mesothelioma, vorinostat may undermine chemoresistance to bortezomib and to other therapies thereby providing a rationale for combinatorial strategies...
- Synergistic effects of baicalein with ciprofloxacin against NorA over-expressed methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and inhibition of MRSA pyruvate kinase
Ben C L Chan
Institute of Chinese Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong
J Ethnopharmacol 137:767-73. 2011
..The aim of the present study was to further investigate antibacterial activities of baicalein in association with various antibiotics against selected Staphylococcus aureus strains with known specific drug resistance mechanisms...
- Plant-based antimicrobial studies--methods and approaches to study the interaction between natural products
Sandy van Vuuren
Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, Parktown, South Africa
Planta Med 77:1168-82. 2011
..The scientific validation of efficacious antimicrobial combinations could lead to patentable entities making research in the field of phytosynergy not only academically rewarding but also commercially relevant...
- The proteasome inhibitor bortezomib enhances ATRA-induced differentiation of neuroblastoma cells via the JNK mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway
College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
PLoS ONE 6:e27298. 2011
..These findings provide the rationale for the development of a new therapeutic strategy for NB based on the pharmacological combination of ATRA and bortezomib...
- Dichloroacetate shifts the metabolism from glycolysis to glucose oxidation and exhibits synergistic growth inhibition with cisplatin in HeLa cells
Department of Pharmacology and Biostatistics, Institute of Medical Sciences, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200025, PR China
Int J Oncol 38:409-17. 2011
- Apigenin induces apoptosis via tumor necrosis factor receptor- and Bcl-2-mediated pathway and enhances susceptibility of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma to 5-fluorouracil and cisplatin
Leong Perng Chan
Institute of Clinical Medicine, Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Kaohsiung Medical University Chung Ho Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1820:1081-91. 2012
..Nevertheless, the anti-tumor effect of apigenin on human head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC) is not fully understood...
- In vitro sequence-dependent synergism between paclitaxel and gefitinib in human lung cancer cell lines
Guangdong Lung Cancer Institute, Medical Research Center of Guangdong General Hospital, Guangdong Academy of Medical Sciences, Guangzhou, Guangdong, People s Republic of China
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 67:637-46. 2011
..The aim of this study was to test whether paclitaxel followed by gefitinib is superior to other treatment schedules of NSCLC cell lines and to clarify the underlying mechanisms...
- Novel second mitochondria-derived activator of caspases (Smac) mimetic compounds sensitize human leukemic cell lines to conventional chemotherapeutic drug-induced and death receptor-mediated apoptosis
Fondazione Matarelli, Dipartimento di Farmacologia Chemioterapia e Tossicologia medica, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Via Vanvitelli 32, 20129, Milan, Italy
Invest New Drugs 29:1264-75. 2011
- Drug development from natural products: exploiting synergistic effects
Medical Policlinic of the Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelms University of Bonn, Wilhelmstr 35 37, D 53111 Bonn, Germany
Indian J Exp Biol 48:208-19. 2010
- Combining histone deacetylase inhibitor vorinostat with aurora kinase inhibitors enhances lymphoma cell killing with repression of c-Myc, hTERT, and microRNA levels
Department of Translational Research, Clinical and Molecular Pharmacology, City of Hope and Beckman Research Institute, Duarte, California, USA
Cancer Res 71:3912-20. 2011
..Thus, the HDACi vorinostat leads to both transcriptional and posttranscriptional changes to create a proapoptotic milieu, sensitizing cells to mitosis-specific agents such as AKis...
- Molecular evidences for the chemosensitizing efficacy of liposomal curcumin in paclitaxel chemotherapy in mouse models of cervical cancer
C N Sreekanth
Integrated Cancer Research Program, Division of Cancer Research, Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India
Oncogene 30:3139-52. 2011
..As curcumin could effectively downregulate all these survival signals induced by paclitaxel, we suggest it as a potent chemosensitizer to improve the therapeutic index of paclitaxel...
- Gambogic acid enhances proteasome inhibitor-induced anticancer activity
Department of Pathophysiology, Guangzhou Medical College, Guangdong, People s Republic of China
Cancer Lett 301:221-8. 2011
..Therefore, the findings presented in this study demonstrate that natural product gambogic acid is a valuable candidate to be used in combination with proteasome inhibitors, thus representing a compelling anticancer strategy...
- Mechanism of synergy between epigallocatechin gallate and beta-lactams against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus
W H Zhao
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Showa University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 45:1737-42. 2001
..EGCg synergizes the activity of beta-lactams against MRSA owing to interference with the integrity of the cell wall through direct binding to peptidoglycan...
- Sildenafil increases chemotherapeutic efficacy of doxorubicin in prostate cancer and ameliorates cardiac dysfunction
Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University Pauley Heart Center, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:18202-7. 2010
..In conclusion, these results provide provocative evidence that sildenafil is both a powerful sensitizer of DOX-induced killing of prostate cancer while providing concurrent cardioprotective benefit...
- Curcumin, but not Prima-1, decreased tumor cell proliferation in the syngeneic murine orthotopic bladder tumor model
Fábio T Watanabe
Universidade de Sao Paulo, Laboratory of Medical Investigation, Department of Urology Lim55, Sao Paulo SP, Brazil
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 66:2121-4. 2011
..Prima-1 is a compound that induces apoptosis in human tumor cells, restoring the function of mutant p53. Our study aimed to evaluate the effects of curcumin and prima-1 in an animal model of bladder cancer...
- Simultaneous inhibition of glutathione- and thioredoxin-dependent metabolism is necessary to potentiate 17AAG-induced cancer cell killing via oxidative stress
Peter M Scarbrough
Free Radical and Radiation Biology Program, Department of Radiation Oncology, Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52240, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 52:436-43. 2012
..These results suggest that simultaneous targeting of both GSH and Trx metabolism could represent an effective strategy for chemosensitization in human cancer cells...
- Enhanced antitumor efficacy by the combination of emodin and gemcitabine against human pancreatic cancer cells via downregulation of the expression of XIAP in vitro and in vivo
Zhao Hong Wang
Department of Hepatobiliary Pancreatic Surgery, the Second Affiliated Hospital of Wenzhou Medical College, No 109, West Xue yuan Road, Wenzhou 325027, P R China
Int J Oncol 39:1123-31. 2011
..This study suggests that emodin enhances the antitumor effect of gemcitabine in SW1990 pancreatic cancer in vitro and in vivo, which may be via the downregulation of NF-κB expression, thus inhibiting the expression of XIAP...
- Synergistic antitumor activity of gemcitabine and ABT-737 in vitro and in vivo through disrupting the interaction of USP9X and Mcl-1
1Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, Zhejiang 310058, China
Mol Cancer Ther 10:1264-75. 2011
- Ascorbate exerts anti-proliferative effects through cell cycle inhibition and sensitizes tumor cells towards cytostatic drugs
Institute of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Philipps University Marburg, Karl von Frisch Strasse 1, 35032 Marburg, Germany
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 67:1157-66. 2011
- Bortezomib targets the caspase-like proteasome activity in cervical cancer cells, triggering apoptosis that can be enhanced by nelfinavir
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Campus Innenstadt, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, Munich, Germany
Curr Cancer Drug Targets 11:799-809. 2011
..These results suggest that both bortezomib and nelfinavir are effective agents against chemoresistant cervical cancer cells and might be of interest for clinical studies on cervical cancer patients with recurrent or metastatic cancer...
- Synergistic antimicrobial activity between pentacyclic triterpenoids and antibiotics against Staphylococcus aureus strains
Pooi Yin Chung
School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Monash University, Sunway Campus, Malaysia
Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 10:25. 2011
..The objective of this study is to evaluate the interaction between three pentacyclic triterpenoid and standard antibiotics (methicillin and vancomycin) against reference strains of Staphylococcus aureus...
- MET kinase inhibitor SGX523 synergizes with epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitor erlotinib in a hepatocyte growth factor-dependent fashion to suppress carcinoma growth
Yu wen Zhang
Van Andel Research Institute, Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Cancer Res 70:6880-90. 2010
..Our findings also indicate that simultaneously targeting the MET and EGFR pathways can provide synergistic inhibitory effects for the treatment of cancers in which both pathways are activated...
- Valproic acid in the complex therapy of malignant tumors
Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, 2nd Faculty of Medicine, Charles University and University Hospital Motol, Prague, Czech Republic
Curr Drug Targets 11:361-79. 2010
..Clinical trials in patients with malignancies are being conducted. The use of VPA prior to or together with anticancer drugs may thus prove a beneficial treatment...
- Novel SMAC-mimetics synergistically stimulate melanoma cell death in combination with TRAIL and Bortezomib
Department of Experimental Oncology, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Via G Venezian 1, 20133 Milano, Italy
Br J Cancer 102:1707-16. 2010
- In vitro and in vivo efficacy of tribendimidine and its metabolites alone and in combination against the hookworms Heligmosomoides bakeri and Ancylostoma ceylanicum
Department of Medical Parasitology and Infection Biology, Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Acta Trop 122:101-7. 2012
..19). In conclusion, tribendimidine and dADT show potent anti-hookworm properties. The potential of the promising tribendimidine-levamisole combination should be investigated in greater detail...
- 1'S-1'-acetoxyeugenol acetate: a novel phenylpropanoid from Alpinia conchigera enhances the apoptotic effects of paclitaxel in MCF-7 cells through NF-κB inactivation
Lionel Lian Aun In
Department of Genetics and Molecular Biology, Institute of Biological Science, Faculty of Science, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Anticancer Drugs 22:424-34. 2011
..conchigera) served as a very promising candidate for further in-vivo development in animal models and in subsequent clinical trials involving patients with breast-related malignancies...
- Rapamycin sensitizes T-ALL cells to dexamethasone-induced apoptosis
Department of Pediatrics, West China Second University Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, China
J Exp Clin Cancer Res 29:150. 2010
..In this study we investigate the potential and mechanism of using rapamycin to restore the sensitivity of GC-resistant T-ALL cells to dexamethasone (Dex) treatment...
- Bortezomib enhances the efficacy of fulvestrant by amplifying the aggregation of the estrogen receptor, which leads to a proapoptotic unfolded protein response
Division of Hematology Oncology, Tisch Cancer Institute and Department of Neurology and Neuroscience, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Clin Cancer Res 17:2292-300. 2011
..We tested whether combining fulvestrant with the proteasome inhibitor, bortezomib, could enhance the accumulation of ER aggregates and cause apoptotic cell death...
- Systemic administration of polymeric nanoparticle-encapsulated curcumin (NanoCurc) blocks tumor growth and metastases in preclinical models of pancreatic cancer
The Sol Goldman Pancreatic Cancer Research Center, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 9:2255-64. 2010
..NanoCurc is a promising new formulation that is able to overcome a major impediment for the clinical translation of curcumin to cancer patients by improving systemic bioavailability, and by extension, therapeutic efficacy...
- Restoration of p53 pathway by nutlin-3 induces cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human rhabdomyosarcoma cells
Department of Pediatrics, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 15:4077-84. 2009
..In this study, we evaluated whether nutlin-3, a recently developed small-molecule antagonist of MDM2, has an effect on p53-dependent cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in cultured human RMS cell lines...
- The BH3 mimetic compound, ABT-737, synergizes with a range of cytotoxic chemotherapy agents in chronic lymphocytic leukemia
K D Mason
Divisions of Cancer and Haematology and Molecular Genetics of Cancer, The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Leukemia 23:2034-41. 2009
..These data indicate that combination of ABT-737 with a second anti-leukemic agent would improve response rates and suggest a potential role for combination therapies that include BH3 mimetics for the treatment of this disease...
- Potentiation of antileukemic therapies by Smac mimetic, LBW242: effects on mutant FLT3-expressing cells
Department of Adult Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, 44 Binney Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 6:1951-61. 2007
..Finally, the combination of LBW242 and PKC412 was sufficient to override stromal-mediated viability signaling conferring resistance to PKC412...
- The phage K lytic enzyme LysK and lysostaphin act synergistically to kill MRSA
Stephen C Becker
Animal Biosciences and Biotechnology Laboratory, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, Agricultural Research Service U S Department of Agriculture, Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, 10300 Baltimore Avenue, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
FEMS Microbiol Lett 287:185-91. 2008
..3-0.5 M NaCl), and C-His-LysK MIC (32.85+/-4.87 mug mL(-1)). LysK and lysostaphin demonstrate antimicrobial synergy by the checkerboard assay...
- Synergistic fungicidal activity of Cu(2+) and allicin, an allyl sulfur compound from garlic, and its relation to the role of alkyl hydroperoxide reductase 1 as a cell surface defense in Saccharomyces cerevisiae
Institute for Health and Sport Sciences, Osaka City University, 3 3 138 Sugimoto, Sumiyoshi ku, Osaka 558 8585, Japan
Toxicology 215:205-13. 2005
..Our study suggests that allicin influences the mode of cell surface localization or the related function of AHP1 as a defense against phospholipid peroxidation by the external action of Cu(2+)...