Summary: Study of the scientific principles, mechanisms, and effects of the interaction of ionizing radiation with living matter. (McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, 4th ed)
Publications238 found, 100 shown here
- Radiobiology with heavy charged particles: a historical reviewL D Skarsgard
Department of Medical Biophysics, B C Cancer Research Centre, Vancouver, Canada
Phys Med 14:1-19. 1998..space limitations, only been able to review a representative fraction of the extensive literature on heavy ion radiobiology. We have arbitrarily limited our discussion to mammalian systems, except for a few very early experiments of ..
- Fitting the linear-quadratic model to detailed data sets for different dose rangesL M Garcia
Department of Physics, Carleton University, Ottawa, K1S5B6, Canada
Phys Med Biol 51:2813-23. 2006..This shows that the LQ model fits better the middle dose region of the survival curve. The analysis conducted in our study reveals a dose dependency of the LQ fit in different cell lines...
- Development of radiobiology for oncology-a personal viewJack F Fowler
Human Oncology and Medical Physics, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Phys Med Biol 51:R263-86. 2006..It wasn't until I went to a course on 'Radiobiology for Radiotherapy' in Cambridge that I learnt about the basic theories of Douglas Lea and the very considerable ..
- Recommendations from gynaecological (GYN) GEC ESTRO working group (II): concepts and terms in 3D image-based treatment planning in cervix cancer brachytherapy-3D dose volume parameters and aspects of 3D image-based anatomy, radiation physics, radiobiologyRichard Potter
Department of Radiotherapy and Radiobiology, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Radiother Oncol 78:67-77. 2006..However, prospective use of these recommendations in the clinical context is warranted, to further explore and develop the potential of 3D image-based cervix cancer brachytherapy...
- The radiobiology of prostate cancer including new aspects of fractionated radiotherapyJack F Fowler
Emeritus of Medical School of Wisconsin University, Department of Human Oncology, University of Wisconsin Madison, USA
Acta Oncol 44:265-76. 2005..Monotherapy by brachytherapy for low-risk cancer prostate using two to four fractions in a few days can give even higher biological effects on the tumors...
- Stereotactic body radiotherapy using a radiobiology-based regimen for stage I nonsmall cell lung cancer: a multicenter studyYuta Shibamoto
Department of Radiology, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Nagoya, Japan
Cancer 118:2078-84. 2012..5 cm, 1.5 to 3.0 cm, and >3.0 cm in greatest dimension, radiation doses of 44 Gy, 48 Gy, and 52 Gy, respectively, were given in 4 fractions with interfraction intervals of ≥3 days...
- A review of radiation countermeasure work ongoing at the Armed Forces Radiobiology Research InstituteVijay K Singh
Radiation Countermeasures Program, Scientific Research Department, Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute Department of Radiation Biology, F Edward Hebert School of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD 20889, USA
Int J Radiat Biol 88:296-310. 2012..In this communication we discuss selected promising radiation countermeasures at advanced stages of development...
- Clinical radioimmunotherapy--the role of radiobiologyJean Pierre Pouget
Direction de la RadioProtection de l Homme, Institut de Radioprotection et de Surete Nucleaire, Fontenay aux Roses, F 92262, France
Nat Rev Clin Oncol 8:720-34. 2011..In this Review, we provide an update on the current challenges aimed to improve the efficacy of radioimmunotherapy and discuss the main radiobiological issues associated with clinical radioimmunotherapy...
- The tumor radiobiology of SRS and SBRT: are more than the 5 Rs involved?J Martin Brown
Department of Radiation Oncology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California Electronic address
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 88:254-62. 2014..data do not support a need to change the LQ model or to invoke phenomena over and above the classic 5 Rs of radiobiology and radiation therapy, with the likely exception that for some tumors high doses of irradiation may produce ..
- Microbeam irradiation facilities for radiobiology in Japan and ChinaYasuhiko Kobayashi
Department of Quantum Biology, Division of Bioregulatory Medicine, Gumma Univ Graduate School of Medicine, Maebashi, Gumma 371 8511, Japan
J Radiat Res 50:A29-47. 2009..This review introduces you available microbeam facilities in Japan and in China, to promote radiobiology using microbeam probe and to encourage collaborative research between radiobiologists interested in using ..
- A focused scanning vertical beam for charged particle irradiation of living cells with single counted particlesMichael J Merchant
Ion Beam Centre, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XH, United Kingdom
Radiat Res 178:182-90. 2012..We discuss future commissioning steps necessary to achieve submicron targeting accuracy with this beamline...
- Rescue effects in radiobiology: unirradiated bystander cells assist irradiated cells through intercellular signal feedbackS Chen
Department of Physics and Materials Science, City University of Hong Kong, Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong
Mutat Res 706:59-64. 2011..These results suggested that the rescue effects could participate in repairing the radiation-induced DNA damages through a media-mediated signaling feedback, thereby mitigating the cytotoxicity and genotoxicity of ionizing radiation...
- MIRD Pamphlet No. 22 (abridged): radiobiology and dosimetry of alpha-particle emitters for targeted radionuclide therapyGeorge Sgouros
Department of Radiology and Radiological Science, School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
J Nucl Med 51:311-28. 2010..The objective of this work is to review those aspects of the field that are pertinent to targeted alpha-particle emitter therapy and to provide guidance and recommendations for human alpha-particle emitter dosimetry...
- The increased biological effectiveness of heavy charged particles: from radiobiology to treatment planningM Kramer
GSI Biophysics, Planckstrasse 1, D 64291 Darmstadt
Technol Cancer Res Treat 2:427-36. 2003..Finally, the implementation of the biophysical model in the treatment planning procedure is presented. The biological verification of the whole treatment planning procedure is explained and examples of patient treatment plans are given...
- Clinical radiobiology in 2008Adrian Begg
Radiother Oncol 86:295-9. 2008
- [Fullerenes in radiobiology]Jacek Grebowski
Zakład Radiobiologii, Katedra Biofizyki Molekularnej, Uniwersytet Łódzki, Łódź
Postepy Biochem 56:456-62. 2010..Fullerenes and their derivatives due to its properties are new promising chemicals for application in radiobiology. Fullerenes may be radioprotectors, radiosensitizer or auxiliary compounds in diagnostic imaging...
- Microbeams in radiation biology: review and critical comparisonK M Prise
Centre for Cancer Research and Cell Biology, Queen s University Belfast, 97 Lisburn Road, Belfast BT9 7BL, UK
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 143:335-9. 2011....
- Optimizing dose and fractionation for stereotactic body radiation therapy. Normal tissue and tumor control effects with large dose per fractionRobert Timmerman
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9183, USA
Front Radiat Ther Oncol 40:352-65. 2007..Hopefully, it will serve as a motivation for more sophisticated biological research into the effects of SBRT...
- Changing paradigms in radiobiologyCarmel Mothersill
McMaster Institute of Applied Radiation Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4K1, Canada
Mutat Res 750:85-95. 2012The last 25 years have seen a major shift in emphasis in the field of radiobiology from a DNA-centric view of how radiation damage occurs to a much more biological view that appreciates the importance of macro-and micro-environments, ..
- Biological effects of embedded depleted uranium (DU): summary of armed forces radiobiology research institute researchD E McClain
Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute, Bethesda, MD 20889 5603, USA
Sci Total Environ 274:115-8. 2001..The Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute (AFRRI) is investigating health effects of embedded fragments of DU to determine whether ..
- Comparison of predicted and clinical response to radiotherapy: a radiobiology modelling studyMattias Hedman
Department of Oncology, Karolinska University Hospital, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Oncol 48:584-90. 2009..In this work we evaluate the clinical utility of a model that incorporates the following individually measured radiobiology parameters: intrinsic radiosensitivity, proliferation and number of clonogenic cells...
- Recommendations for the future of translational radiobiology research: a Canadian perspectiveRobert G Bristow
Department of Radiation Oncology, Princess Margaret Hospital, University Health Network, and Department of Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto, Ont, Canada
Radiother Oncol 70:159-64. 2004..of this issue, the Canadian Association of Radiation Oncologists (CARO) charged a Task Force in Translational Radiobiology to: (1) critically assess training programs and research infrastructure in relation to current and future ..
- A possible biomedical facility at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN)M Dosanjh
European Organization for Nuclear Research CERN, Geneva, Switzerland
Br J Radiol 86:20120660. 2013....
- Report on an interagency workshop on the radiobiology of nuclear terrorism. Molecular and cellular biology dose (1-10 Sv) radiation and potential mechanisms of radiation protection (Bethesda, Maryland, December 17-18, 2001)John E Moulder
Department of Radiation Oncology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Radiat Res 158:118-24. 2002....
- Why do we need a new paradigm in radiobiology?Keith Baverstock
Department of Environmental Science, University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio Campus, PL 1627, 70211 Kuopio, Finland
Mutat Res 687:3-6. 2010..so years experimental evidence, which questions the fundamentals of some 50 years standing, of both biology and radiobiology has accrued...
- Heavy charged particle radiobiology: using enhanced biological effectiveness and improved beam focusing to advance cancer therapyChristopher Allen
Department of Environmental and Radiological Health Sciences, Colorado State University, Ft Collins, CO 80523, USA
Mutat Res 711:150-7. 2011..Photons, including X-rays and γ-rays, are the most widely used type of ionizing radiation in radiobiology experiments, and in radiation cancer therapy...
- Impact of the comet assay in radiobiologyPeggy L Olive
Medical Biophysics Department, British Columbia Cancer Research Centre, 675 W 10th Avenue, Vancouver, BC V5Z 1L3, Canada
Mutat Res 681:13-23. 2009..Other examples of applications of the comet assay in radiobiology research include analysis of the inter-individual differences in response to radiation, effect of hypoxia ..
- Radiation-induced bystander effects and adaptive responses--the Yin and Yang of low dose radiobiology?Carmel Mothersill
Medical Physics and Applied Radiation Sciences Unit, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ont, Canada L8S 4K1
Mutat Res 568:121-8. 2004..This model may be important when attempting to predict the consequences of mixed exposures involving low doses of radiation and other environmental stressors...
- Overview of cancer molecular radiobiologyJann N Sarkaria
Mayo Clinic, Department of Radiation Oncology, Rochester, MN, USA
Cancer Treat Res 139:117-33. 2008
- Ionizing radiation microbeam facilities for radiobiological studies in EuropeSilvia Gerardi
INFN Laboratori Nazionali di Legnaro, Viale dell Universita 2, I 35020 Legnaro, Padova, Italy
J Radiat Res 50:A13-20. 2009..induced radio-resistance, adaptive response, genomic instability, bystander effects) has pushed the radiobiology research towards a better understanding of the mechanisms underlying these phenomena, the extent to which they ..
- The Columbia University single-ion microbeamG Randers-Pehrson
Center for Radiological Research, Radiological Research Accelerator Facility, Columbia University, Irvington, New York 10533, USA
Radiat Res 156:210-4. 2001..Various contributions to targeting and positioning precision are discussed along with our plans for future developments. Beam time for outside users is often available (see www.raraf.org)...
- DNA damage and repair in individual cells: applications of the comet assay in radiobiologyP L Olive
Medical Biophysics Department, British Columbia Cancer Research Centre, Vancouver, Canada
Int J Radiat Biol 75:395-405. 1999....
- Radiobiology goes 3D: how ECM and cell morphology impact on cell survival after irradiationIris Eke
OncoRay National Center for Radiation Research in Oncology, Dresden University of Technology, Germany
Radiother Oncol 99:271-8. 2011..Identifying the molecular differences between 2D and 3D cultured cells will offer the opportunity to improve our research and widen our therapeutic possibilities against cancer...
- The European Radiobiology Archives (ERA)--content, structure and use illustrated by an exampleG B Gerber
B 2400 Mol, De Heylanden 7, European Late Effects Project Group EULEP, Belgium
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 118:70-7. 2006The European Radiobiology Archives (ERA), supported by the European Commission and the European Late Effect Project Group (EULEP), together with the US National Radiobiology Archives (NRA) and the Japanese Radiobiology Archives (JRA) have ..
- Fundamental space radiobiologyGregory A Nelson
Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA, USA
Gravit Space Biol Bull 16:29-36. 2003....
- Checking the foundation: recent radiobiology and the linear no-threshold theoryBrant A Ulsh
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, 4676 Columbia Parkway, Mailstop C 46, Cincinnati, OH 45226, USA
Health Phys 99:747-58. 2010....
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy (stereotactic ablative radiotherapy) for stage I non-small cell lung cancer--updates of radiobiology, techniques, and clinical outcomesMersiha Hadziahmetovic
Department of Radiation Oncology, Arthur G James Cancer Hospital, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Discov Med 9:411-7. 2010..from retrospective studies or clinical trials, has been accumulated over the years and more is known about the radiobiology, cancer biology, technical aspects, clinical outcomes, and toxicities of SBRT...
- Radiobiology of vestibular schwannomas: mechanisms of radioresistance and potential targets for therapeutic sensitizationAndrea H Yeung
Departments of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Neurosurg Focus 27:E2. 2009..An improved understanding of the radiobiological behavior of VS may help guide appropriate patient selection for SRS and potentially aid in the design of novel therapies to treat radioresistant tumors...
- Whole-body responses to low-level radiation exposure: new concepts in mammalian radiobiologyLudwig E Feinendegen
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Exp Hematol 35:37-46. 2007....
- High-dose single-fraction radiotherapy: exploiting a new biology?J Martin Brown
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 71:324-5. 2008
- Progress in updating the European Radiobiology ArchivesS Tapio
Federal Office for Radiation Protection, Department of Radiation Protection and Health, Neuherberg, Germany
Int J Radiat Biol 84:930-6. 2008The European Radiobiology Archives (ERA), together with corresponding Japanese and American databases, hold data from nearly all experimental animal radiation biology studies carried out between 1960 and 1998, involving more than 300,000 ..
- Molecular biology for the radiation oncologist: the 5Rs of radiobiology meet the hallmarks of cancerK Harrington
The Institute of Cancer Research, Targeted Therapy Laboratory, Cancer Research UK, Centre for Cell and Molecular Biology, London, UK
Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 19:561-71. 2007..In this introductory review, the 5Rs of classical radiobiology are interpreted in terms of their relationship to the hallmarks of cancer...
- Normal tissue radiobiology: from the laboratory to the clinicR P Hill
Ontario Cancer Institute Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 49:353-65. 2001This manuscript is in four parts, presenting the four talks given in a symposium on normal tissue radiobiology. The first part addresses the general concept of the role of parenchymal cell radiosensitivity vs...
- AAPM protocol for 40-300 kV x-ray beam dosimetry in radiotherapy and radiobiologyC M Ma
Radiation Oncology Dept, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305 5304
Med Phys 28:868-93. 2001..Therapy Committee Task Group 61, for reference dosimetry of low- and medium-energy x rays for radiotherapy and radiobiology (40 kV < or = tube potential < or = 300 kV)...
- Radiotherapy-related early morbidity in head and neck cancer: quantitative clinical radiobiology as deduced from the CHART trialS M Bentzen
Gray Laboratory Cancer Research Trust and the Cancer Centre, P.O. Box 100, Mount Vernon Hospital, Middlesex HA6 2JR, Northwood, UK
Radiother Oncol 60:123-35. 2001....
- Principles of radiobiology of stereotactic radiosurgery and clinical applications in the central nervous systemE H Balagamwala
Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University, USA
Technol Cancer Res Treat 11:3-13. 2012..The principles of classical radiobiology are reviewed with explanation on why fractionation of radiotherapy allows optimization of the therapeutic ratio...
- Radiobiology for eye plaque brachytherapy and evaluation of implant duration and radionuclide choice using an objective functionNolan L Gagne
Department of Radiation Oncology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Med Phys 39:3332-42. 2012..This study endeavored to evaluate BED delivered to the tumor volume and surrounding ocular structures as a function of plaque position P, prescription dose, R, and T...
- Quantitative clinical radiobiologyS M Bentzen
Danish Cancer Society, Department of Experimental Clinical Oncology, Aarhus
Acta Oncol 32:259-75. 1993Based on a series of recent papers, a status is given of our current ability to quantify the radiobiology of human tumors and normal tissues. Progress has been made in the methods of analysis...
- Systems biology and its potential role in radiobiologyLudwig Feinendegen
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University Hospital, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Radiat Environ Biophys 47:5-23. 2008..In this context, we discuss in this article examples of relatively small, yet very useful models that elucidate selected aspects of the effects of exposure to ionizing radiation and may shine a light on the path before us...
- Non-targeted effects as a paradigm breaking evidenceDietrich Averbeck
Institut Curie Section de Recherche, UMR 2027 CNRS I C, Bat 110, Centre Universitaire, F 91405 Orsay cedex, France
Mutat Res 687:7-12. 2010..Indeed, the classical paradigm of radiobiology was based on the concept that all radiation effects on living matter are due to the direct action of radiation...
- Past and future work on radiobiology mega-studies: a case study at Argonne National LaboratoryBenjamin Haley
Department of Radiation Oncology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Health Phys 100:613-21. 2011Between 1952 and 1992, more than 200 large radiobiology studies were conducted in research institutes throughout Europe, North America, and Japan to determine the effects of external irradiation and internal emitters on the lifespan and ..
- Dosimetry in nuclear medicine therapy: radiobiology application and resultsL Strigari
Laboratory of Medical Physics and Expert Systems, Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, Rome, Italy
Q J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 55:205-21. 2011..In this review, we provide the basic aspects of radiobiology, from a theoretical point of view, starting from the "four Rs" of radiobiology and introducing the biologically ..
- Biological equivalent dose assessment of the consequences of hypofractionated radiotherapyB Jones
Cancer Therapeutics Section, Imperial College School of Medicine, Department of Clinical Oncology, Hammersmith Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 47:1379-84. 2000..To investigate the changes in biological effective dose (BED) that occur in high-dose regions within a target volume when radiotherapy is hypofractionated...
- Molecular radiobiology meets clinical radiation oncologyElke Firat
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Int J Radiat Biol 86:252-9. 2010..and translational scientists as well as clinicians interested in recent developments in molecular and clinical radiobiology. The topics ranged from the most recent insight into the organisation of the DNA damage response and ..
- A high-power laser-driven source of sub-nanosecond soft X-ray pulses for single-shot radiobiology experimentsMarie Davidkova
Department of Radiation Dosimetry, Institute of Nuclear Physics, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, 180 86, Prague 8, Czech Republic
Radiat Res 168:382-7. 2007..The yields of single-strand breaks (SSBs) and double-strand breaks (DSBs) were determined as a function of energy fluence adjusted by varying distance of sample from the source and thickness of aluminum filters...
- Expanding the question-answering potential of single-cell microbeams at RARAF, USAAlan Bigelow
Center for Radiological Research, Columbia University, Irvington, New York 10533 0021, USA
J Radiat Res 50:A21-8. 2009..Additionally, an update on the status of the other biology oriented microbeams in the Americas is provided...
- Recent issues on dosimetry and radiobiology for peptide receptor radionuclide therapyM Cremonesi
European Institute of Oncology, Milan, Italy
Q J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 55:155-67. 2011....
- Dose-volume effects in the rat cervical spinal cord after proton irradiationHendrik P Bijl
Department of Radiation Oncology, University Hospital Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 52:205-11. 2002..To estimate dose-volume effects in the rat cervical spinal cord with protons...
- Radiation terrorism: what society needs from the radiobiology-radiation protection and radiation oncology communitiesC Norman Coleman
Office of Preparedness and Emergency Response, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response, Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC, USA
J Radiol Prot 29:A159-69. 2009....
- Radiobiology of radioimmunotherapy: targeting CD20 B-cell antigen in non-Hodgkin's lymphomaM Carmen Hernandez
Department of Radiation Oncology, Stanford University Medical Center, 269 Campus Drive West, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 59:1274-87. 2004The radiobiology of radioimmunotherapy is an important determinant of both the toxicity and the efficacy associated with the treatment of B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma with radiolabeled anti-CD20 monoclonal antibodies...
- A radiobiological model for the relative biological effectiveness of high-dose-rate 252Cf brachytherapyMark J Rivard
Department of Radiation Oncology, Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Radiat Res 164:319-23. 2005..Using these relationships, our results were in general concordance with high-dose-rate 252Cf RBE values obtained from Russian clinical experience...
- Exploring the possibility of unique molecular, biological, and tissue effects with hypofractionated radiotherapyMichael Story
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Semin Radiat Oncol 18:244-8. 2008....
- Facts and controversies about radiation exposure, part 2: low-level exposures and cancer riskJadwiga Jodi Strzelczyk
Department of Radiology, University of Colorado at Denver Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, USA
J Am Coll Radiol 4:32-9. 2007..The limitations of epidemiologic studies at low-level exposures and recent new findings in radiobiology, some of which are summarized, challenge the notion that any amount of radiation causes adverse effects.
- The linear-quadratic model is inappropriate to model high dose per fraction effects in radiosurgeryJohn P Kirkpatrick
Department of Radiation Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Semin Radiat Oncol 18:240-3. 2008....
- Absorbed dose rate conversion coefficients for reference terrestrial biota for external photon and internal exposuresV Taranenko
Institute of Radiation Protection, GSF National Research Centre for Environment and Health, Ingolstadter Landstrasse 1, D 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
J Radiol Prot 24:A35-62. 2004..are given for 3H, 14C, 40K, 36Cl, 59,63Ni, 89,90Sr, 94Nb, 99Tc, 106Ru, 129,131I, 134,135,137Cs, 210Po, 210Pb, 226Ra, 227,228,230,231,232,234Th, 234,235,238U, 238,239,240,241Pu, 241Am, 237Np and 242,243,244Cm, together with their..
- Radiobiological investigation of dose-rate effects in intensity-modulated radiation therapyFlorian Sterzing
Clinical Cooperation Unit Radiotherapy, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany
Strahlenther Onkol 181:42-8. 2005..The radiobiological consequences of the protracted dose delivery for cell survival and cell cycle progression are still unclear and shall be examined in this study...
- Radiobiological aspects of intraoperative radiotherapy (IORT) with isotropic low-energy X rays for early-stage breast cancerCarsten Herskind
Department of Radiation Oncology, Inst of Clinical Radiology, Mannheim Medical Center, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Radiat Res 163:208-15. 2005..The RBE for tumor cells was higher than for late-reacting tissue. The applicator diameter is an important parameter in determining the range of tumor cell control in the irradiated tumor bed...
- Modeling prostate cancer: in regards to Nahum et al. (Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2003;57:391-401)Jian Z Wang
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 61:309-10; author reply 310-1. 2005
- The linear-quadratic model is an appropriate methodology for determining isoeffective doses at large doses per fractionDavid J Brenner
Center for Radiological Research, Columbia University Medical Center, 630 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Semin Radiat Oncol 18:234-9. 2008..To date, there is no evidence of problems when the LQ model has been applied in the clinic...
- Setup and dosimetry for exposure of human skin in vivo to RF-EMF at 900 MHzTommi Toivonen
STUK Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority, Helsinki, Finland
Bioelectromagnetics 29:207-12. 2008..Other significant sources of uncertainty are individual variations of the fat layer and arm thicknesses, and the uncertainty of radio frequency (RF) power measurement...
- Physics must join with biology in better assessing risk from low-dose irradiationL E Feinendegen
Heinrich Heine University Dusseldorf, Germany
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 117:346-56. 2005..In fact, theory and observation support not only a lower cancer incidence than expected from the linear-no-threshold hypothesis, but also a reduction of spontaneously occurring cancer, a hormetic response, in the healthy individual...
- Characterisation of the TAPIRO BNCT thermal facilityG Rosi
ENEA FIS ION, CR Casaccia, Via Anguillarese 301, I 00060 Roma, Italy
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 110:651-4. 2004..To check the consistency of the results, spectrometry measurements in the same irradiation volume have been performed by means of bubble detectors...
- Neutron field produced by 25 MeV deuteron on thick beryllium for radiobiological study; energy spectrumMasashi Takada
National Institute of Radiological Sciences, 4 9 1 Anagawa, Inage Ku, Chiba 263 8555, Japan
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 110:601-6. 2004..The measured neutron energy spectrum is useful in dose calculations for radiobiology studies.
- Radiobiological equivalent of low/high dose rate brachytherapy and evaluation of tumor and normal responses to the doseS Manimaran
Division of Physics, School of Science and Humanities, Vellore Institute of Technology, VIT University, Vellore 632 014, Tamil Nadu, India
Radiat Med 25:229-35. 2007....
- Effects of ionising radiation exposure on plants, fish and mammals: relevant data for environmental radiation protectionA Real
Spanish Research Centre in Energy, Environment and Technology, Avenida Complutense, 22 Madrid 28040, Spain
J Radiol Prot 24:A123-37. 2004..The responses then increase progressively with increasing dose rate and usually become very clear at dose rates > 10(3) microGy h(-1) sustained for a large fraction of the lifespan...
- Assessing ecological effects of radionuclides: data gaps and extrapolation issuesJacqueline Garnier-Laplace
Institute of Radioprotection and Nuclear Safety, Laboratory of Radioecology and Ecotoxicology, Cadarache, 13115 St Paul Lez Durance cedex, France
J Radiol Prot 24:A139-55. 2004....
- Ground-based research with heavy ions for space radiation protectionM Durante
Department of Physics, University Federico II, Monte S Angelo, Via Cintia, Naples, Italy
Adv Space Res 35:180-4. 2005....
- Measurements of characteristics of time pattern in dose delivery in step-and-shoot IMRTMattias Schäfer
Clinical Cooperation Unit Radiotherapy, German Cancer Research Center DKFZ, Heidelberg, Germany
Strahlenther Onkol 181:587-94. 2005..To investigate this question, an exact characterization of dose rate profiles in typical clinical plans is needed. Furthermore, such a characterization may lead to an increased knowledge how to improve IMRT technically...
- X-ray imaging and the skin: radiation biology, patient dosimetry and observed effectsJacob Geleijns
Leiden University Medical Center, Radiology Department, Albinusdreef 2, 2333 ZA Leiden, The Netherlands
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 114:121-5. 2005..However, this might not be true for patients with biological factors that are associated with an increased sensitivity for radiation-induced skin reactions...
- Radiation biology: concepts for radiation protectionR Julian Preston
Environmental Carcinogenesis Division, NHEERL, U S Environmental Protection Agency, Research Triangle Park, NC 27711, USA
Health Phys 88:545-56. 2005..Thus, radiation biology research has always had a focus on how best to protect human health from radiation exposures and will continue to do so...
- Radical radiotherapy for invasive bladder cancer: What dose and fractionation schedule to choose?Floris J Pos
Department of Radiation Oncology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 64:1168-73. 2006..To establish the alpha/beta ratio of bladder cancer from different radiotherapy schedules reported in the literature and provide guidelines for the design of new treatment schemes...
- The biological effects of space radiation during long stays in spaceKen Ohnishi
Department of Biology, Nara Medical University School of Medicine, Kashihara, Nara, Japan
Biol Sci Space 18:201-5. 2004..In order to understand the exact RBE and any interaction with microgravity, the ISS centrifugation system will be a critical tool, and it is hoped that this system will be in operation as soon as possible...
- Use of cytogenetic indicators in radiobiologyA S Rodrigues
Department of Genetics, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, R da Junqueira 96, P 1349 008 Lisbon, Portugal
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 115:455-60. 2005..In many of the early studies on radiobiology, the induction of chromosomal aberrations was the method of choice to evaluate dose-response relationships...
- Optimization of radiobiological effects in intensity modulated proton therapyJan J Wilkens
Department of Medical Physics in Radiation Oncology, German Cancer Research Center DKFZ, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Med Phys 32:455-65. 2005....
- Effects of HZE particle on the nigrostriatal dopaminergic system in a future Mars missionYu Koike
Space Medicine Group, Human Space Technology and Astronaut Department, Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Acta Astronaut 56:367-78. 2005..Should these particles have biochemical effects, possible options for countermeasures are: (1) nutritional prevention, (2) medication, and (3) surgical placement of a stimulator electrode at a specific anatomic site in the basal ganglia...
- The impact on oncology of the interaction of radiation therapy and radiobiologyVicente Pedraza Muriel
Department of Radiation Oncology, University Hospital, Granada, Spain
Clin Transl Oncol 8:83-93. 2006..basis of normal tissues tolerance to reirradiation are, probably, the most important contributions of radiobiology to clinical radiotherapy in the last twenty five years...
- Dosimetric and radiobiological impact of dose fractionation on respiratory motion induced IMRT delivery errors: a volumetric dose measurement studyJun Duan
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35233, USA
Med Phys 33:1380-7. 2006....
- A TCP-NTCP estimation module using DVHs and known radiobiological models and parameter setsBrad Warkentin
Department of Medical Physics, Cross Cancer Institute, University of Alberta, 11560 University Ave, Edmonton, Alberta T6G IZ2, Canada
J Appl Clin Med Phys 5:50-63. 2004..The module thus helps to amalgamate and make more accessible current radiobiological modeling knowledge, and may serve as a useful aid in the prospective and retrospective analysis of radiotherapy treatment plans...
- Study of the uncertainty in estimation of the exposure of non-human biota to ionising radiationR Avila
Facilia AB, 16751 Bromma, Sweden
J Radiol Prot 24:A105-22. 2004..Radiobiological effectiveness contributed to the overall uncertainty of the dose estimations for alpha emitters although to a lesser degree than a number of transfer model parameters...
- Demographic analysis and modeling of human populations exposed to ionizing radiationK G Manton
Duke University, Center for Demographic Studies, 2117 Campus Drive, Box 90408, Durham, NC 27708 0408, USA
Front Biosci 9:2144-52. 2004..We believe this will improve the ability of the model to identify health effects and reduce erroneous inferences...
- Chromosome aberrations as biomarkers of radiation exposure: modelling basic mechanismsF Ballarini
Universita degli Studi di Milano, Dipartimento di Fisica, Milano, Italy
Adv Space Res 31:1557-68. 2003..This latter aspect was investigated by taking into account both metaphase data and data obtained with Premature Chromosome Condensation (PCC)...
- Radiation dosimetry and biophysical models of space radiation effectsFrancis A Cucinotta
NASA Lyndon B Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX, USA
Gravit Space Biol Bull 16:11-8. 2003..In this paper, we address the biophysical description of heavy particle tracks in the context of the interpretation of both space radiation dosimetry and radiobiology data, which may provide insights into new approaches to these problems.
- On cold spots in tumor subvolumesWolfgang A Tome
Department of Human Oncology, University of Wisconsin Medical School, CSc, Madison 53792, USA
Med Phys 29:1590-8. 2002..The effect of cold regions on TCP can be minimized if the EUD associated with the target DVH is constrained to be equal to or larger than the prescription dose...
- [A simple dosimetry method for biological experiments on the International Space Station]H Yasuda
National Institute of Radiological Sciences, International Space Radiation Laboratory, Inage-ku, Chiba-shi, Japan
Uchu Koku Kankyo Igaku 38:1-7. 2001..It is expected that this method will be suitably applied to future experiments in the ISS where any instruments have to be small-scale, light-weight, physico-chemically stable and simple in handling...
- Analysis of potential radiobiological effects related to a unified skin dose limitJ W Baum
Baum and Associated, Inc, Patchogue, NY 11772, USA
Health Phys 80:537-43. 2001..4 mm off of skin. It was concluded that the unified limit would provide a more logical system of dose control with possible savings of whole-body dose and other benefits...
- Radiation-induced bystander effects. Mechanisms, biological implications, and current investigations at the Leipzig LIPSION facilityJan Osterreicher
Department of Nuclear Solid State Physics, Faculty of Physics and Geosciences, University of Leipzig, Germany
Strahlenther Onkol 179:69-77. 2003..2 Gy, where a higher incidence of stochastic damage was observed than was expected from a linear-quadratic model. It is also important when the irradiation of a cell population is highly non-uniform...
- Estimation of a cosmonaut's radiation hazard during long-term space missions on the basis of a generalized dosimetric functionA V Shafirkin
State Research Centre of the RF Institute for Biomedical Problems, Moscow, Russia
Adv Space Res 30:995-8. 2002..In terms of the generalized dose, it is possible to assess the nature and extent of lowering a crew working capacity, as well as radiation risk, both during a flight and post flight period...
- A comparison of quality factors and weighting factors for characterizing astronaut radiation exposuresNeal Zapp
Wyle Laboratories, Houston, TX 77058, USA
Adv Space Res 30:965-74. 2002..We compare calculations done based on identical fields of radiation representative of that encountered by the MIR space station, applying each of these two methods...
- Radiation protection guidance for activities in low-Earth orbitL W Townsend
Nuclear Engineering Department, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996 2300, USA
Adv Space Res 30:957-63. 2002..The report of SC 75 was published in December 2000 as NCRP Report No. 132. In this presentation an overview of the findings and recommendations of the committee report will be presented...
- [The method based on generalized dosimetric function for estimation of cosmonauts' radiation hazard during long-term space missions]A V Shafirkin
State Research Center of the Russian Federation Institute of Biomedical Problem, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, 123007 Russia
Radiats Biol Radioecol 42:526-32. 2002..The combination of cosmic ionizing radiation with other non-radiation nature factors in flight can be accounted...
- The optimal fraction size in high-dose-rate brachytherapy: dependency on tissue repair kinetics and low-dose ratePeter Sminia
Department of Radiation Oncology, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands p sminia vumc nl
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 52:844-9. 2002....
- 4D Robust Optimization in Intensity-Modulated Proton TherapyWei Liu; Fiscal Year: 2013..knowledge of medical imaging;4) obtain moderate knowledge of biostatistics;and 5) obtain moderate knowledge of radiobiology. To achieve these objectives, the applicant will work with a group of experienced mentors and collaborating ..
- TRAINING PROGRAM IN FREE RADICAL AND RADIATION BIOLOGYDOUGLAS ROBERT SPITZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have an internationally recognized faculty with a consistent track record of success in radiobiology and free radical cancer biology investigator initiated research awards...
- Biology of Alpha Particle ImmunotherapyDavid A Scheinberg; Fiscal Year: 2013..We are now exploring the biology and radiobiology of the tumor and its environment, especially its vasculature, to better understand how to make more effective ..
- INFORMATION RESOURCES FOR RADIATION SCIENCETHOMAS SEBASTIAN TENFORDE; Fiscal Year: 2010..renewal period for this grant, NCRP will produce six new reports on the following subjects: (A) Basic Cancer Radiobiology (two reports), (B) Diagnostic Medical Imaging (three reports), and (C) Continuous Quality Improvement, Training ..
- Femtosecond Infrared Laser Ablation PlatformLee E Goldstein; Fiscal Year: 2010..General Hospital, Brigham &Women's Hospital, United States Geological Service, Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Museum of Ireland, Queen's University, and the ..
- RESEARCH TRAINING IN BIOMEDICAL PHYSICSMichael F McNitt-Gray; Fiscal Year: 2013..systems to clinically relevant radiotherapeutic doses of radiation are covered that deal with classic radiobiology, as well as cutting edge topics of repair, signal transduction, tumor suppressor genes and oncogenes, radiation-..
- X-irradiator for in vivo and in vitro studies with relevance to basic stress signAlbert J Fornace; Fiscal Year: 2010..by applicant): This application is for the purchase of a self-contained x-ray machine that will be based in the radiobiology program of the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center (LCCC) and that will be a core resource for members of the ..
- 2011 Genetic Toxicology Gordon Research ConferenceJessica Downs; Fiscal Year: 2011..One major focus of the meeting is how genetic damage drives tumourigenesis, and the sessions cover many important aspects of cancer biology, such as epidemiology, radiobiology and identification of novel drug targets for therapy.
- Training in Radiation Oncology Translational ResearchRoss B Mikkelsen; Fiscal Year: 2011..For biology students, mentored research in modern radiobiology includes DNA repair mechanisms, radiation-induced signal transduction mechanisms, and reactive oxygen/nitrogen ..
- GammabeamX200 Preclinical Research IrradiatorSILVIA CHIARA FORMENTI; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition to more classical radiobiology research, NYU has explored less conventional uses of radiotherapy, such as its capacity to induce "danger ..
- CANCER CENTER SUPPORT GRANTMark A Israel; Fiscal Year: 2013..Cancer Control, Molecular Therapeutics, Cancer Mechanisms, Immunology/Cancer Immunotherapy, and Cancer Imaging/ Radiobiology. NCCC Shared Resources provide technology and expertise in Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Clinical Pharmacology,..
- Lymphatic RadiobiologyTimothy P Padera; Fiscal Year: 2013..Brian Seed and Kathryn Held, will continue to collaborate with me on this project and are committed to the development of my career and will help my transition into a successful independent academic researcher. ..
- Abramson Cancer Center Support GrantChi V Dang; Fiscal Year: 2013..programs in the ACC: Immunobiology, Tumor Biology, Tumor Virology, Cancer Therapeutics, Pediatric Oncology, Radiobiology and Imaging, Melanoma and Cutaneous Malignancies, Hematologic Malignancies, Breast Cancer, Tobacco and ..
- TOPAS: Fast and easy to use Monte Carlo system for proton therapyHarald Paganetti; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will bring the same benefits to the radiobiological community. Where radiobiology research has previously suffered from insufficient interdisciplinary collaboration between physicists and ..
- Yale Comprehensive Cancer Center Support GrantTHOMAS JAMES LYNCH; Fiscal Year: 2013..and Genomics, Cancer Immunology, Cancer Prevention and Control, Developmental Therapeutics, Molecular Virology, Radiobiology and Radiotherapy and Signal Transduction...
- Integrated course in Biology and Physics of Radiation Oncology (IBPRO)MONICA WALCH TRACEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..with the best training by teachers with substantial expertise and practical experience in clinically-relevant radiobiology, and the integration of this knowledge wit medical physics which is now also required in the clinical practice ..
- RESEARCH TRAINING IN CANCER BIOLOGY AND THERAPYJeffrey Crawford; Fiscal Year: 2012..Biology and Pharmacology, Cancer Genomics, Cancer Immunology/lmmunotherapy, Stem Cell Biology and Cell Therapy, Radiobiology and Treatment, and Clinical Research, including disease oriented training modules as well as gero-oncology and ..
- EXTENSION OF RADIOTHERAPY RESEARCHK Ang; Fiscal Year: 2009..D. Anderson Cancer Center. The proposed work is anticipated to have a significant impact on radiation oncology with regard to both basic radiobiology and clinical applications.
- Small Animal Image-Guided RadiotherapyEdward E Graves; Fiscal Year: 2012..These efforts will establish a new mechanism for exploring radiotherapy and radiobiology in the laboratory and will provide direct evidence of the merit of novel treatment regimens for use in ..
- Prostate Edema in Permanent Interstitial BrachytherapyZhe Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..intervention strategies can be designed and integrated into the planning and treatment of PIB with or without radiobiology guidance;2) to conduct a systematic validation of the proposed approach and the existing edema models using the ..
- Training in Radiation OncologyClifton C Ling; Fiscal Year: 2010..Radiotherapy is a multidisciplinary practice involving radiobiology, medical physics and clinical oncology...
- ENHANCEMENT OF IUDR SENSITIZATION BY LOW ENERGY PHOTONSRavinder Nath; Fiscal Year: 1992..In this project, the radiobiology of combined treatments of IUdR perfusions plus continuous low dose rate irradiation (CLDRI) will be examined...
- DEVELOPMENT OF A MICRORT SYSTEMBuck E Rogers; Fiscal Year: 2010..The successful completion of these specific aims will open a new field of preclinical micro imagingguided radiobiology investigations on small animals.
- RADIATION ARTERIOPATHY IN A TRANSGENIC AV FISTULA MODELMichael Lawton; Fiscal Year: 2004..A better understanding of vascular radiobiology may lead to new therapies for these lesions...
- EXPERIMENTAL RADIATION ONCOLOGY CONFERENCEMILTON YATVIN; Fiscal Year: 1991..The stimulus of the meeting and the recent initiation of a radiobiology program on the OHSU campus has increased local interest and awareness of experimental cancer studies...
- CHROMATIN GEOMETRY AND INTRACHANGE PROXIMITY EFFECTSRainer Sachs; Fiscal Year: 2000..Aberrations are also robustly implicated in all the medical aspects of radiobiology, including carcinogenesis, killing of cells in tumors or surrounding normal tissues, and retrospective ..
- Radiological Health Sciences Basic to Cancer ResearchRobert Ullrich; Fiscal Year: 2007..The program would also prepare trainees to be able to provide research and teaching support in radiobiology for residents in radiotherapy...
- Ninth Symposium on Neutron DosimetryJoseph McDonald; Fiscal Year: 2003..organized to provide a forum for information exchange among experts in radiological physics, radiation therapy, radiobiology, radiation protection and other studies involving neutrons, In addition, the dosimetry of other nuclear ..
- ANTIBODY THERAPY OF MICROMETASTASESGeorge Sgouros; Fiscal Year: 1999..and compared with the predictions of mathematical models that describe antibody kinetics, dosimetry and radiobiology (aim 3)...
- Lymphatic RadiobiologyTIMOTHY PADERA; Fiscal Year: 2009..I will use this Mentored Phase to strengthen my knowledge of molecular biology and biochemistry, and radiobiology, the respective expertises of my mentors. During this period I will have the resources of the E.L...
- A New Model of the Tumor MicroenvironmentJAMES FREYER; Fiscal Year: 2005..will be useful in a wide variety of other basic and applied cancer research areas, including drug development, radiobiology, and non-invasive diagnosis...
- CHEMOTHERAPEUTIC DRUGS AS RADIATION SENSITIZERSFred Hetzel; Fiscal Year: 1980..tumor model system developed by Sutherland and co-workers has proven to be a useful test system in radiobiology. Over 400 microns in diameter, spheroids consist of an outer layer of actively metabolizing asynchronous cells ..
- RESIDUAL RADIATION DAMAGE IN NORMAL TISSUESElizabeth Travis; Fiscal Year: 1992..The rationale for these studies is based on the current controversy in normal tissue radiobiology concerning the pathogenesis of damage in "late" responding normal tissues, i.e., parenchyma vs...
- RADIOBIOLOGY OF SYNCHROTRON PRODUCED ULTRASOFT X RAYSMichael Gould; Fiscal Year: 1993..These studies will thus provide data that will elucidate the physical size, critical energy and location of molecular targets for radiation cellular damage. ..
- CLINICAL ONCOLOGY RESEARCH CAREER DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMLouis Weiner; Fiscal Year: 2001..scientific program lines including: tumor biology, developmental therapeutics, immunobiology/immunotherapy, and radiobiology/radiotherapy to encourage interdisciplinary actions...
- BYSTANDER EFFECTS AND X RAY INDUCED GENOMIC INSTABILITYWilliam Morgan; Fiscal Year: 2004DESCRIPTION:A basic paradigm in radiobiology is that following cellular exposure to ionizing radiation it is the deposition of energy in the cell nucleus that is responsible for its deleterious biological effects, and that DNA is the ..
- RADIATION BIOLOGY TRAINING PROGRAMBruce Demple; Fiscal Year: 2009..Both predoctoral and postdoctoral training will be offered. The interdepartmental Program combines radiobiology research resources in laboratories at HSPH, the Harvard Medical School, and associated hospitals...
- Iron Metabolism Alterations in Alzheimer's DiseaseWolff Kirsch; Fiscal Year: 2006..Training and Education, Departments of Molecular Biology and Molecular Genetics, Biochemistry, Radiology, Radiobiology, Internal Medicine, Psychiatry and Pathology). Partners include BioErgonomics, Inc...
- RADIOBIOLOGY OF HEPATOCYTESRandy Jirtle; Fiscal Year: 1992....
- RESEARCH TRAINING: RADIATION THERAPY, BIOLOGY, PHYSICSPeter Glazer; Fiscal Year: 2009..application it has been expanded to include trainers in other departments who have interests relevant to radiobiology. Other key elements of this revised application are enhancement of the training environment by major ..
- SPECT Scanner for Molecular Biology and Imaging ResearchStephen Moore; Fiscal Year: 2002..Also adjoining the proposed SPECT facility are the radiobiology and radiopharmaceutical chemistry groups, comprised of researchers who can radiolabel ligands with the required ..
- RADIOBIOLOGY OF LOW-ENERGY AND SHORT-LIVED ISOTOPESClifton Ling; Fiscal Year: 1993..We propose experiments to study the topic, which also have relevance to the radiobiology of radiolabelled immunotherapy. Biophysical models will be examined in comparison with experimental results.
- PROLIFERATIVE CAPACITY AND RADIOBIOLOGY OF STEM CELLSPeter Mauch; Fiscal Year: 2005..The successful completion of this specific aim should allow better identification of patients at high risk for marrow failure after autologous HSCT. ..
- RENOVATION OF HUNTER RADIATION CENTERC Slayman; Fiscal Year: 2003..program in support of clinical radiation therapy, laboratory and clinical research in radiation therapy, radiobiology, radiation physics, and in educational and training programs in these areas...
- NATIONAL CANCER RESEARCH AND DEMONSTRATION CENTERCHIA CHUNG CHENG; Fiscal Year: 1980..from basic design to clinical trials, virology, biology, immunology, carcinogenesis, epidemiology and radiobiology. Based at the major tertiary care facility in the region, the opportunity exists to combine these research ..
- Mechanism of hypoxia mediated radiation lung injuryZeljko Vujaskovic; Fiscal Year: 2006..Despite advances in normal tissue radiobiology demonstrating that ionizing radiation triggers a cascade of genetic and molecular events, which lead to ..
- EXPERIMENTAL RADIOTHERAPY - CELLULAR RESPONSES IN VIVOAmato Giaccia; Fiscal Year: 1993The long term objectives of this plan are the investigation of specific aspects of tumor biology/radiobiology, namely reoxygenation, cell migration, cell recruitment, and the relationship between cell sensitivity and cell kinetics...
- RADIOSENSITIZATION OF MAMMALIAN CELLS AT LOW DOSE RATEClifton Ling; Fiscal Year: 1990..but which has not been studied carefully, is important to our overall understanding of dose rate effect in radiobiology. Lastly, we propose to study the effect of hyperthermia on low dose rate radioresponse, simulating clinical ..
- STATISTICAL ANALYSIS OF CANCER IN ATOMIC BOMB SURVIVORSDonald Pierce; Fiscal Year: 1992..follow-up to estimate lifetime risks, and (v) combining information from these data and from experimental radiobiology, regarding the shape of the dose-response curve, in order to estimate the risks from lower exposures...
- CESIUM IRRADIATOR FOR MEDICAL RESEARCHEvan Douple; Fiscal Year: 1992..to be administered as a shared facility of the Norris Cotton Cancer Center (NCCC) under the direction of the Radiobiology Research Program of the NCCC...
- BIOMATHEMATICS AND COMPUTING IN A CANCER INSTITUTEStuart Zimmerman; Fiscal Year: 1992..regression analysis; 3) Asymptotic and finite sample effects in designs for dose- response estimation in radiobiology; 4) Statistical methods for the mixture model with log-logistic failure times. V...
- MOLECULAR RADIOBIOLOGY OF NUCLEIC ACIDSJames Raleigh; Fiscal Year: 1990....
- RADIATION SENSITIZATION APPLIED TO CANCER RADIOBIOLOGYEDWARD EPP; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- CARCINOGENESIS, MOLECULAR AND CELLULAR BIOLOGYFredika Robertson; Fiscal Year: 2000..required to attend a weekly seminar series held jointly with the Center for Molecular Environmental Health and Radiobiology and to actively participate in a Carcinogenesis journal club...
- GENE AND CYTOKINE EXPRESSION IN THE CNS RADIORESPONSEPHILIP TOFILON; Fiscal Year: 2000..injury in the central nervous system (CNS) will require a more complete understanding of the fundamental radiobiology of this critical normal tissue...
- RADIATION RESEARCH QUANTITATIVE METHODS AND MODELSJeremy Taylor; Fiscal Year: 1992..through the development of mathematical models and statistical methods in the fields of radiotherapy and radiobiology. Nine projects will be described, all of which involve either mathematical modeling of radiobiological ..
- Gammacell 40 137 Cs IrradiatorKristoffer Valerie; Fiscal Year: 2006..and Virginia Commonwealth University, and the objectives of extramurally funded research projects in molecular radiobiology and medical physics...
- EPITHELIAL/MESENCHYMAL INTERACTIONS IN LUNG DEVELOPMENTFarrah Kheradmand; Fiscal Year: 2002..The proposed work will be performed at the Laboratory of Radiobiology, University of California San Francisco...
- microRTDaniel Low; Fiscal Year: 2005..irradiator based on an 192Ir source, according to the specifications defined by a multidisciplinary radiobiology and animal imaging research team...
- RADIOBIOLOGY OF NORMAL TISSUESH Withers; Fiscal Year: 1980..Experiments conducted within the barrier research facility will initially be directed toward normal tissue radiobiology, but will become more diversified as the staff is enlarged to include both normal tissue and tumor biology.
- RAF ONCOGENE ANALYSIS AND RADIATION RESISTANT TUMOR CELLUsha Kasid; Fiscal Year: 1992..Anatoly Dritschilo, George Mark, and Michael Gottesman for their specific expertise in the areas of radiobiology, molecular biology of RAF, and molecular biology of multidrug resistance, respectively...
- CALORIMETRIC DOSIMETRY FOR NEUTRON RADIOTHERAPYJOSEPH MC DONALD; Fiscal Year: 1980..This effort would extend our measurements to centers which have already been visited by the radiobiology and ionization chamber intercomparison groups...
- RADIODIAGNOSIS & RADIOTHERAPY OF LUNG CANCER METASTASESAMIN KASSIS; Fiscal Year: 2004....