Genomes and Genes
Summary: A discipline concerned with studying biological phenomena in terms of the chemical and physical interactions of molecules.
Publications262 found, 100 shown here
- DAMBE: software package for data analysis in molecular biology and evolutionX Xia
Bioinformatics Laboratory, Department of Ecology and Biodiversity, University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong
J Hered 92:371-3. 2001DAMBE (data analysis in molecular biology and evolution) is an integrated software package for converting, manipulating, statistically and graphically describing, and analyzing molecular sequence data with a user-friendly Windows 95/98/..
- The molecular biology of head and neck cancerC Rene Leemans
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Nat Rev Cancer 11:9-22. 2011....
- Biomolecular simulation: a computational microscope for molecular biologyRon O Dror
D E Shaw Research, New York, New York 10036, USA
Annu Rev Biophys 41:429-52. 2012....
- Molecular biology of flavivirusesBrett D Lindenbach
Center for the Study of Hepatitis C, Laboratory of Virology and Infectious Disease, Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Adv Virus Res 59:23-61. 2003
- Advances in molecular biology of hibernation in mammalsMatthew T Andrews
Department of Biology, University of Minnesota Duluth, 1035 Kirby Drive, Duluth, MN 55812, USA
Bioessays 29:431-40. 2007....
- Molecular biology of bcr-abl1-positive chronic myeloid leukemiaAlfonso Quintas-Cardama
Department of Leukemia, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Blood 113:1619-30. 2009..Herein, we synthesize the most relevant and current knowledge on such areas of the pathogenesis of CML...
- The Gene Ontology (GO) database and informatics resourceM A Harris
GO EBI, Hinxton, UK
Nucleic Acids Res 32:D258-61. 2004..The GO Web resource also provides access to extensive documentation about the GO project and links to applications that use GO data for functional analyses...
- The 2011 Nucleic Acids Research Database Issue and the online Molecular Biology Database CollectionMichael Y Galperin
National Center for Biotechnology Information, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20894, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 39:D1-6. 2011..Acids Research features descriptions of 96 new and 83 updated online databases covering various areas of molecular biology. It includes two editorials, one that discusses COMBREX, a new exciting project aimed at figuring out the ..
- Computational systems biologyHiroaki Kitano
Sony Computer Science Laboratories, Inc, Shinagwa, Tokyo, Japan
Nature 420:206-10. 2002..Computational systems biology addresses questions fundamental to our understanding of life, yet progress here will lead to practical innovations in medicine, drug discovery and engineering...
- Advances in single-molecule fluorescence methods for molecular biologyChirlmin Joo
Department of Physics, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Annu Rev Biochem 77:51-76. 2008..In this exciting era of transitioning from in vitro to in vivo and in situ conditions, it is anticipated that SM fluorescence methodology will become a common tool of molecular biology.
- The molecular biology of the CCAAT-binding factor NF-YR Mantovani
Dipartimento di Genetica e Biologia dei Microrganismi, Universita di Milano, Italy
Gene 239:15-27. 1999..This review focuses on the CCAAT sequence and on the NF-Y protein, also known as CBF, which binds to it...
- Myogenic satellite cells: physiology to molecular biologyT J Hawke
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
J Appl Physiol 91:534-51. 2001..We conclude by highlighting the potential therapeutic uses of satellite cells and identifying future research goals for the study of satellite cell biology...
- The 2012 Nucleic Acids Research Database Issue and the online Molecular Biology Database CollectionMichael Y Galperin
National Center for Biotechnology Information, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20894, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 40:D1-8. 2012..Issue of Nucleic Acids Research features descriptions of 92 new online databases covering various areas of molecular biology and 100 papers describing recent updates to the databases previously described in NAR and other journals...
- Molecular biology of inflammation and sepsis: a primerIsmail Cinel
Division of Critical Care Medicine, The Robert Wood Johnson School of Medicine, The University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Camden, NJ, USA
Crit Care Med 37:291-304. 2009..Remarkable progress has been made during the last decade in defining the molecular mechanisms that underlie septic shock. This rapidly expanding field is leading to new therapeutic opportunities in the management of severe sepsis...
- The molecular biology of coronavirusesPaul S Masters
Wadsworth Center, New York State Department of Health, Albany, 12201, USA
Adv Virus Res 66:193-292. 2006..This review summarizes both classical and contemporary discoveries in the study of the molecular biology of these infectious agents, with particular emphasis on the nature and recognition of viral receptors, viral ..
- MicroRNAs in colorectal cancer: translation of molecular biology into clinical applicationOndrej Slaby
Masaryk Memorial Cancer Institute, Department of Comprehensive Cancer Care, Brno, Czech Republic
Mol Cancer 8:102. 2009..In this review, we summarize the knowledge regarding miRNAs' functioning in CRC while emphasizing their significance in pathogenetic signaling pathways and their potential to serve as disease biomarkers and novel therapeutic targets...
- The molecular biology of colorectal carcinoma and its implications: a reviewSanjay Harrison
Sunderland Royal Hospital, Kayll Road, Sunderland, SR4 7TP, UK
Surgeon 9:200-10. 2011..A medline and pubmed search was conducted using the keywords colorectal carcinoma, molecular biology of colorectal carcinoma, mutations, and the relevant articles were used for this review...
- Basal cell carcinoma - molecular biology and potential new therapiesMaria Kasper
Karolinska Institutet, Center for Biosciences and Department of Biosciences and Nutrition, Novum, Huddinge, Sweden
J Clin Invest 122:455-63. 2012....
- Neuroscience, molecular biology, and the childhood roots of health disparities: building a new framework for health promotion and disease preventionJack P Shonkoff
Center on the Developing Child, Harvard University, 50 Church St, Fourth Floor, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
JAMA 301:2252-9. 2009....
- HDACs, histone deacetylation and gene transcription: from molecular biology to cancer therapeuticsPaola Gallinari
Istituto di Ricerche di Biologia Molecolare P Angeletti IRBM Merck Research Laboratories Rome, Pomezia, Italy
Cell Res 17:195-211. 2007..Since these processes are affected by malignant transformation, HDAC inhibitors were developed as antineoplastic drugs and are showing encouraging efficacy in cancer patients...
- Aging theories of primary osteoarthritis: from epidemiology to molecular biologyT Aigner
Osteoarticular and Arthritis Research Group, Department of Pathology, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, Germany
Rejuvenation Res 7:134-45. 2004....
- Molecular biology of choroidal neovascularizationMing Lu
Vantage Eye Center, 622 Abbott Street, Salinas, CA 93901, USA
Ophthalmol Clin North Am 19:323-34. 2006..Safe and effective drug-delivery systems are also required for the successful anti-VEGF therapies for AMD and other ocular diseases with CNV...
- MicroRNA-regulated networks: the perfect storm for classical molecular biology, the ideal scenario for systems biologyJulio Vera
Department of Systems Biology and Bioinformatics, University of Rostock, Rostock, Germany
Adv Exp Med Biol 774:55-76. 2013....
- Molecular biology of capsaicinoid biosynthesis in chili pepper (Capsicum spp.)Cesar Aza-González
Departamento de Ingeniería Genética de Plantas, Centro de Investigación y de Estudios Avanzados del Instituto Politécnico Nacional Cinvestav Unidad Irapuato, Km 9 6 Libramiento Norte Carretera Irapuato León, 36821, Irapuato, Guanajuato, Mexico
Plant Cell Rep 30:695-706. 2011....
- Integration of molecular biology tools for identifying promoters and genes abundantly expressed in flowers of Oncidium Gower RamseyChen Tran Hsu
Agricultural Biotechnology Research Center, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan
BMC Plant Biol 11:60. 2011..However, model plants, such as Arabidopsis thaliana do not contain all plant genes, and agronomic and horticulturally important genera and species must be individually studied...
- Molecular biology of K(ATP) channels and implications for health and diseaseAlejandro Akrouh
Department of Cell Biology and Physiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
IUBMB Life 61:971-8. 2009..Continuing studies of channel physiology and pathology will bring new insights to the molecular basis of K(ATP) channel function, leading to a better understanding of the role that K(ATP) channels play in both health and disease...
- Molecular biology and genetics of Alzheimer's diseasePeter H St George-Hyslop
Department of Medicine, Division of Neurology, The Toronto Hospital, University of Toronto, 6, Queen s Park Crescent West, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
C R Biol 328:119-30. 2005..Knowledge of this biochemical cascade now provides several potential targets for the development of diagnostics and therapeutics...
- Molecular biology of breast cancer stem cells: potential clinical applicationsNam P Nguyen
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Arizona, N Campbell Ave, Tucson, AZ 85724 5081, USA
Cancer Treat Rev 36:485-91. 2010..The purpose of this study is to review breast CSCs molecular biology with respect to their mechanism of resistance to conventional therapy, and to develop treatment strategies ..
- Molecular biology of foamy virusesAxel Rethwilm
Institut fur Virologie und Immunbiologie, University of Wurzburg, Versbacher Str 7, Wurzburg, Germany
Med Microbiol Immunol 199:197-207. 2010..The elucidation of the underlying basic mechanisms of the FV replication strategy is the topic of this review...
- Molecular biology of PCSK9: its role in LDL metabolismJay D Horton
Departments of Internal Medicine and Molecular Genetics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390 9046, USA
Trends Biochem Sci 32:71-7. 2007..Although the mechanism of PCSK9 action is not yet clear, the protease provides a new therapeutic target to lower plasma levels of LDL and prevent CHD...
- Dinoflagellate mitochondrial genomes: stretching the rules of molecular biologyRoss F Waller
School of Botany, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Bioessays 31:237-45. 2009..Even after these processes, messenger RNAs (mRNAs) lack canonical start codons and most transcripts have abandoned stop codons altogether...
- Molecular biology and pathogenesis of viral myocarditisMitra Esfandiarei
The James Hogg iCAPTURE Center for Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Research, St Paul s Hospital, Providence Health Care Research Institute, Vancouver, Canada
Annu Rev Pathol 3:127-55. 2008..Advances in genomics and proteomics, and in the use of informatics and biostatistics, are allowing unbiased initial evaluations that can be the basis for testable hypotheses about virus pathogenesis and new therapies...
- The biochemistry and molecular biology of lipid accumulation in oleaginous microorganismsColin Ratledge
Lipid Research Centre, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Hull, HU6 7RX, United Kingdom
Adv Appl Microbiol 51:1-51. 2002
- Codon-optimized fluorescent proteins designed for expression in low-GC gram-positive bacteriaInka Sastalla
Laboratory of Bacterial Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Building 33, Bethesda, MD 20892 3202, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:2099-110. 2009..Using optimized GFP as a reporter, we were able to monitor the activity of the protective antigen promoter of B. anthracis and confirm its dependence on bicarbonate and regulators present on virulence plasmid pXO1...
- Molecular biology of gliomaTomotoshi Marumoto
Department of Molecular Genetics, Medical Institute of Bioregulation, Fukuoka, Japan
Adv Exp Med Biol 746:2-11. 2012..Here, we describe recent advances in the understanding of the biology of GBMs...
- 18F-FDG uptake in lung, breast, and colon cancers: molecular biology correlates and disease characterizationHossein Jadvar
Department of Radiology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
J Nucl Med 50:1820-7. 2009..of this review is to bring together and summarize the current data on the correlation between the underlying molecular biology and the clinical observations of tumor (18)F-FDG accumulation in 3 major human cancers: lung, breast, and ..
- Microscopy and molecular biology for the diagnosis and evaluation of malaria in a hospital in a rural area of EthiopiaMaría A Santana-Morales
University Institute of Tropical Diseases and Public Health of the Canary Islands University of La Laguna, Tenerife, Spain
Malar J 11:199. 2012..The aim of the present work was to compare different malaria diagnostic methods in order to detect the most common species of Plasmodium and to broaden the knowledge of malaria prevalence in a hospital in a rural area in Ethiopia...
- NF1 gene mutations represent the major molecular event underlying neurofibromatosis-Noonan syndromeAlessandro De Luca
CSS Hospital, IRCCS, San Giovanni Rotondo and CSS Mendel Institute, Rome, Italy
Am J Hum Genet 77:1092-101. 2005..These results support the view that NFNS represents a variant of NF1 and is caused by mutations of the NF1 gene, some of which have been demonstrated to cause classic NF1 in other individuals...
- PKMzeta, LTP maintenance, and the dynamic molecular biology of memory storageTodd Charlton Sacktor
The Robert F Furchgott Center for Neural and Behavioral Science, Departments of Physiology, Pharmacology, and Neurology, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, 450 Clarkson Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11203, USA
Prog Brain Res 169:27-40. 2008..Similar results are found for conditioned taste aversion when the inhibitor is injected in the insular neocortex. Thus PKMzeta is the first molecule found to be a component of the long-term memory trace...
- The use of molecular biology in diagnosis and prognosis of gastric cancerK F Becker
Technische Universitaet Muenchen, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Institut fuer Pathologie, Munich, Germany
Surg Oncol 9:5-11. 2000..The clinical implications of the recent findings for diagnosis, prognosis, therapy, and risk assessment are discussed...
- Robotic nanolitre protein crystallisation at the MRC Laboratory of Molecular BiologyDaniela Stock
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2QH, UK
Prog Biophys Mol Biol 88:311-27. 2005..The methods described are now used almost exclusively for obtaining diffraction quality crystals in our laboratory with a throughput of several thousand plates per year. Our set-up has been copied in many institutions worldwide...
- Oxidation and age-related macular degeneration: insights from molecular biologySam Khandhadia
Clinical Neurosciences Division, School of Medicine, University of Southampton, UK
Expert Rev Mol Med 12:e34. 2010..This article reviews the role of oxidative stress in AMD and the potential therapies that might have a role in preventing the blindness resulting from this disease...
- Molecular biology of bladder cancerNuno M Luis
Unitat de Biologia Cellular i Molecular, Institut Municipal d Investigacio Medica, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Transl Oncol 9:5-12. 2007..Distinct gene expression profiles have been identified in superficial and invasive tumors. The stage is now ready for the clinical application of this knowledge...
- Does the committee peer review select the best applicants for funding? An investigation of the selection process for two European molecular biology organization programmesLutz Bornmann
Social Psychology and Research on Higher Education, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 3:e3480. 2008..this question we analyzed the Long-Term Fellowship and the Young Investigator programmes of the European Molecular Biology Organization...
- A survey of current software for network analysis in molecular biologySterling Thomas
Center for the Study of Biological Complexity, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, 23284 2030, USA
Hum Genomics 4:353-60. 2010..A comparative test evaluated how these software packages perform the search for key terms and the creation of network from those terms and from experimental expression data...
- Molecular biology and pathogenesis of Kaposi sarcoma-associated herpesvirusSubhash C Verma
Department of Microbiology and Tumor Virology Program of the Abramson Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 201E Johnson Pavilion, 3610 Hamilton Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
FEMS Microbiol Lett 222:155-63. 2003..LANA has now been shown to be a multifunctional protein involved in numerous cellular functions including binding to the retinoblastoma protein and p53, regulating cell proliferation and apoptosis...
- Molecular biology of apolipoprotein EWarren J Strittmatter
Deane Laboratory, Division of Neurology, Duke Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Curr Opin Lipidol 13:119-23. 2002....
- Lung cancer. 9: Molecular biology of lung cancer: clinical implicationsK M Fong
The Prince Charles Hospital, Rode Road, Chermside, Brisbane 4032, Australia
Thorax 58:892-900. 2003..This notion has important clinical ramifications. Recent developments in our knowledge of the molecular biology of lung cancer are reviewed, with particular reference to genetic abnormalities in tumour suppressor gene ..
- Molecular biology of hepatitis C virusTetsuro Suzuki
Department of Virology II, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, 1 23 1 Toyama, Tokyo, Japan
J Gastroenterol 42:411-23. 2007..This review summarizes the current knowledge of cell culture systems for HCV research and recent advances in the investigation of the molecular virology of HCV...
- Insect olfactory receptors: contributions of molecular biology to chemical ecologyEmmanuelle Jacquin-Joly
Equipe Communication Chimique, Unité de Phytopharmacie et des Médiateurs Chimiques, INRA, Versailles, France
J Chem Ecol 30:2359-97. 2004....
- Reviews in molecular biology and biotechnology: transmembrane signaling by G protein-coupled receptorsLouis M Luttrell
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Medical Genetics, Department of Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, 96 Jonathan Lucas Street, 816 CSB, P O Box 250624, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Mol Biotechnol 39:239-64. 2008..While the physiologic relevance of many of these novel mechanisms of GPCR signaling remains to be established, their existence suggests that the mechanisms of GPCR signaling are even more diverse than previously imagined...
- The protein meta-structure: a novel concept for chemical and molecular biologyRobert Konrat
Department of Structural and Computational Biology, Max F Perutz Laboratories, University of Vienna, Vienna Biocenter Campus 5, 1030, Vienna, Austria
Cell Mol Life Sci 66:3625-39. 2009..In this review some prototypical applications will be presented that serve to illustrate the potential of the methodology...
- Inteins, valuable genetic elements in molecular biology and biotechnologySkander Elleuche
Institute of Technical Microbiology, Technical University Hamburg Harburg, Kasernenstr 12, 21073, Hamburg, Germany
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 87:479-89. 2010..This review summarizes the catalytic activities and structures of inteins, and focuses on the advantages of some recent intein applications in molecular biology and biotechnology.
- Cell and molecular biology of invadopodiaGiusi Caldieri
Tumor Cell Invasion Laboratory, Chieti, Italy
Int Rev Cell Mol Biol 275:1-34. 2009..Current knowledge will be reviewed here together with some of the most important open questions in invadopodia biology...
- Pharmacology of brain Na+/Ca2+ exchanger: from molecular biology to therapeutic perspectivesL Annunziato
Division of Pharmacology, Department of Neuroscience, School of Medicine, Federico II University of Naples, Via S Pansini, 5 80131 Naples, Italy
Pharmacol Rev 56:633-54. 2004..b>Molecular biology, electrophysiology, genetically modified mice, and molecular pharmacology have helped to delve deeper and ..
- How restriction enzymes became the workhorses of molecular biologyRichard J Roberts
New England Biolabs, 32 Tozer Road, Beverly, MA 01915, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:5905-8. 2005..This pioneering study set the stage for the modern practice of molecular biology in which restriction enzymes are ubiquitous tools, although they are often taken for granted.
- Nonparametric methods for molecular biologyKnut M Wittkowski
Center for Clinical and Translational Science, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY, USA
Methods Mol Biol 620:105-53. 2010....
- Update on the molecular biology of malignant mesotheliomaAmie Y Lee
Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Cancer 109:1454-61. 2007..Improvement in our understanding of the molecular biology of MM has identified promising new candidates for targeted treatments...
- The growing contributions of molecular biology and immunology to protistan ecology: molecular signatures as ecological toolsDavid A Caron
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90089 0371, USA
J Eukaryot Microbiol 51:38-48. 2004..These issues include the highly technical nature of some of the molecular methods, the reconciliation of morphology-based and sequence-based species identifications, and the species concept itself...
- A molecular genetics laboratory course applying bioinformatics and cell biology in the context of original researchCynthia J Brame
Department of Biology, Centenary College of Louisiana, Shreveport, LA 71105, USA
CBE Life Sci Educ 7:410-21. 2008..The project was designed to allow students to become familiar with the use of bioinformatics tools and molecular biology and genetic approaches while carrying out original research...
- Molecular biology of lung cancer: Diagnosis and management of lung cancer, 3rd ed: American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelinesSerge Patrick Nana-Sinkam
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
Chest 143:e30S-9S. 2013..We focus on research developments in the understanding of lung cancer somatic DNA mutations, chromosomal aberrations, epigenetics, and the tumor microenvironment, and how they can advance diagnostics and therapeutics...
- Prokaryotic toxin-antitoxin systems--the role in bacterial physiology and application in molecular biologyMichal Bukowski
Faculty of Biochemistry, Biophysics and Biotechnology, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland
Acta Biochim Pol 58:1-9. 2011..The impact of toxin-antitoxin systems on bacteria physiology prompted their application in molecular biology as tools allowing cloning of some hard-to-maintain genes, plasmid maintenance and production of recombinant ..
- Signet-ring cell carcinoma of colorectum--current perspectives and molecular biologyVinod Gopalan
School of Medicine, Griffith Health Institute, Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
Int J Colorectal Dis 26:127-33. 2011Colorectal signet-ring cell carcinoma (SRCC) is rare, and very little detailed information on the molecular biology of the disease is available.
- Molecular biology of pancreatic cancerMiroslav Zavoral
Charles University, 1st Medical Faculty, Internal Clinic, 128 00 Prague 2, Czech Republic
World J Gastroenterol 17:2897-908. 2011..Understanding of the underlying molecular mechanisms should promote development of new methodology for early diagnosis and facilitate improvement in current approaches for pancreatic cancer treatment...
- Complete in vitro life cycle of Trypanosoma congolense: development of genetic toolsVirginie Coustou
Laboratoire de Microbiologie Cellulaire et Moléculaire et Pathogénicité, UMR 5234 CNRS, Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, Bordeaux, France
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e618. 2010....
- Educational challenges of molecular life science: Characteristics and implications for education and researchLena A E Tibell
Department of Science and Technology, Linkoping University, Norrkoping, Sweden
CBE Life Sci Educ 9:25-33. 2010..Of these challenges, we focus most detail on content, reasoning difficulties, and communication issues. We also discuss implications for education research and teaching in the molecular life sciences...
- Molecular biology of therapy-related leukaemiasMelanie Joannides
Department of Medical and Molecular Genetics, King s College London School of Medicine, Guy s Hospital, London, UK
Clin Transl Oncol 12:8-14. 2010..Although treatment of therapy-related leukaemias represents a considerable challenge due to prior therapy and comorbidities, curative therapy is possible, particularly in those with favourable karyotypic features...
- Proteomics, genomics, and molecular biology in the personalized treatment of colorectal cancerJohn M Carethers
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, 3901 Taubman Center, SPC 5368, 1500 E Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 5368, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 16:1648-50. 2012..Utilizing stool, blood/plasma, and tumor tissue to obtain genetic, genomic, and pharmacokinetic information contribute to a person's profile to direct specific cancer care...
- Understanding the molecular biology of myeloma and its therapeutic implicationsKevin D Boyd
The Institute of Cancer Research, Brookes Lawley Building, 15 Cotswold Road, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Expert Rev Hematol 5:603-17. 2012..This review explores the molecular biology of myeloma and identifies how genetic lesions can be used to define high- and low-risk patient groups, and ..
- Hydrogen sulfide generation in mammals: the molecular biology of cystathionine-β- synthase (CBS) and cystathionine-γ-lyase (CSE)Barbara Renga
Department of Experimental and Clinical Medicine, Street E, dal Pozzo, Pad W, University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
Inflamm Allergy Drug Targets 10:85-91. 2011....
- Genetic research into bipolar disorder: the need for a research framework that integrates sophisticated molecular biology and clinically informed phenotype characterizationThomas G Schulze
Unit on the Genetic Basis of Mood and Anxiety Disorders, National Institute of Mental Health NIMH, National Institutes of Health NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892 3719, USA
Psychiatr Clin North Am 33:67-82. 2010..It furthermore sketches out a potential research framework integrating various lines of research into the molecular biological basis of BD...
- Assessment of various methods for extraction of metagenomic DNA from saline habitats of coastal Gujarat (India) to explore molecular diversityM K Purohit
Department of Biosciences, Saurashtra University, Rajkot, Gujarat, India
Lett Appl Microbiol 49:338-44. 2009..To develop total DNA extraction protocol from saline soil for further metagenomic applications...
- Molecular biology of Huntington's diseaseKaren N McFarland
Department of Neurology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610 0236, USA
Handb Clin Neurol 100:25-81. 2011..We also highlight potential pathogenic mechanisms that have come to light in recent years...
- Factor correction as a tool to eliminate between-session variation in replicate experiments: application to molecular biology and retrovirologyJan M Ruijter
Department of Anatomy and Embryology, Academic Medical Centre, Meibergdreef 15, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Retrovirology 3:2. 2006In experimental biology, including retrovirology and molecular biology, replicate measurement sessions very often show similar proportional differences between experimental conditions, but different absolute values, even though the ..
- Implementation of a project-based molecular biology laboratory emphasizing protein structure-function relationships in a large introductory biology laboratory courseDaniel J Treacy
Department of Biochemistry, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA 02454, USA
CBE Life Sci Educ 10:18-24. 2011..This laboratory utilizes basic techniques in molecular biology to emphasize the importance of connections between DNA and protein...
- Sample size and power calculation for molecular biology studiesSin Ho Jung
Department of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, Duke University, Durham, NC, USA
Methods Mol Biol 620:203-18. 2010..In this chapter, we consider molecular biology studies generating huge dimensional data...
- Gastric tumours in hereditary cancer syndromes: clinical features, molecular biology and strategies for preventionMaria Sereno
Medical Oncology Department, Infanta Sofía University Hospital, San Sebastian de los Reyes, Madrid, Spain
Clin Transl Oncol 13:599-610. 2011..In this review, we describe briefly the most important aspects related to clinical features, molecular biology and strategies for prevention in hereditary gastric associated to different cancer syndromes.
- Functional characterisation of metal(loid) processes in planta through the integration of synchrotron techniques and plant molecular biologyErica Donner
Centre for Environmental Risk Assessment and Remediation, University of South Australia, Building X, Mawson Lakes Campus, Mawson Lakes, SA 5095, Australia
Anal Bioanal Chem 402:3287-98. 2012..This article focuses on the benefits of combining molecular biology and synchrotron-based techniques...
- Vectors for improved Tet repressor-dependent gradual gene induction or silencing in Staphylococcus aureusLeonie Helle
Lehrbereich Mikrobielle Genetik, Eberhard Karls Universitat Tubingen, Interfakultäres Institut für Mikrobiologie und Infektionsmedizin, Tubingen, Germany
Microbiology 157:3314-23. 2011..Intriguingly, revtetR was found to contain a fourth mutation only after propagation in S. aureus. We predict that the described vectors constitute valuable tools for staphylococcal genetics...
- Molecular biology of chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertensionRichard S Sacks
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0725, USA
Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 18:265-76. 2006..Other articles in this series describe the pathological, surgical, and therapeutic aspects of CTEPH. Here, we review the potential molecular and cellular mechanisms that may contribute to the pathogenesis of CTEPH...
- Advances in the cellular and molecular biology of the beta-amyloid protein in Alzheimer's diseaseKumar Sambamurti
Department of Neuroscience, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
Neuromolecular Med 1:1-31. 2002..The present review summarizes our current understanding of APP metabolism and function and their relationship to other proteins involved in AD...
- Ependymomas of the adult: molecular biology and treatmentRoberta Ruda
Division of Neuro Oncology, Department of Neuroscience, University and San Giovanni Battista Hospital, Turin, Italy
Curr Opin Neurol 21:754-61. 2008To review state of art and relevant advances in the molecular biology and management of ependymomas of the adult.
- Modelling the molecular circuitry of cancerWilliam C Hahn
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Massachusetts 02142, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 2:331-41. 2002....
- Artificial chemokines: combining chemistry and molecular biology for the elucidation of interleukin-8 functionalityRalf David
Institut fur Biochemie, Fakultat fur Biowissenschaften, Pharmazie and Psychologie, Universitat Leipzig, Bruderstrasse 34, D 04103 Leipzig, Germany
J Am Chem Soc 130:15311-7. 2008..Concepts like this could be a first step toward the synthesis of proteins consisting of large artificial secondary structure elements...
- Defining the molecular biology of inflammatory breast cancerEmmanuelle Charafe-Jauffret
Département d Oncologie Moléculaire, Institut Paoli Calmettes and UMR599 INSERM, IFR137, 232 Boulevard Sainte Marguerite, Marseille Cedex 09, France
Semin Oncol 35:41-50. 2008..The aim of this review is to present and discuss what is known about the biology of this particularly aggressive form of breast cancer and to discuss how this knowledge could improve its management...
- The microenvironment and molecular biology of the multiple myeloma tumorMiguel Lemaire
Department of Hematology and Immunology, Vrije Universiteit Brussel VUB, Brussels, Belgium
Adv Cancer Res 110:19-42. 2011....
- Molecular biology of basal and squamous cell carcinomasJingwu Xie
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Sealy Center for Cancer Cell Biology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 1048, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 624:241-51. 2008..In this chapter, we will focus on major recent developments in our understanding of basal cell carcinomas and squamous cell carcinomas at the molecular levels and their clinical implications...
- The molecular biology and clinical features of amyloid neuropathyMerrill D Benson
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, MS 128, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5126, USA
Muscle Nerve 36:411-23. 2007..Proposed gene therapy with antisense oligonucleotides (ASOs) to suppress hepatic transthyretin synthesis is effective in a transgenic mouse model but has not yet been tested in humans...
- Pediatric ependymomas: will molecular biology change patient management?Jacques Grill
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Oncology, Gustave Roussy Cancer Institute, Villejuif, France
Curr Opin Oncol 23:638-42. 2011..Ependymomas remain a therapeutic challenge in pediatric neuro-oncology. These tumors are chemoresistant and rather radioresistant and until recently little was known about their biology...
- Part I: Hodgkin's lymphoma--molecular biology of Hodgkin and Reed-Sternberg cellsRoman K Thomas
Molecular Tumor Biology and Tumor Immunology group, Department I of Internal Medicine, University of Cologne, Germany
Lancet Oncol 5:11-8. 2004....
- Therapeutic consequences from molecular biology for gastrointestinal stromal tumor patients affected by neurofibromatosis type 1Chiara Mussi
Department of Surgery, Medical Faculty Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Clin Cancer Res 14:4550-5. 2008..The lack of data on imatinib activity raises the question whether to enroll these patients in clinical trials. We analyzed a large series of NF-1 related GISTs to discuss the therapeutic implications...
- The Boltzmann equation in molecular biologyJean Marc Dubois
CNRS, Institut de Neurobiologie Alfred Fessard FRC2118, Laboratoire de Neurobiologie Cellulaire et Moléculaire UPR9040, Gif sur Yvette F 91198, France
Prog Biophys Mol Biol 99:87-93. 2009..The aim of this review is to trace the history of the developments of the Boltzmann equation that account for the behaviour of proteins involved in molecular biology and physiology.
- Molecular biology: the expanding world of small RNAsHelge Grosshans
Nature 451:414-6. 2008
- Molecular biology of the baculovirus occlusion-derived virus envelopeSharon C Braunagel
Department of Entomology, Texas A and M University, Texas Agricultural Experiment Station, College Station, TX 77843, USA
Curr Drug Targets 8:1084-95. 2007..The composition of ODV is reviewed, however it is worth noting that the function of many ODV proteins are currently unknown...
- An overview of clustering applied to molecular biologyRebecca Nugent
Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Methods Mol Biol 620:369-404. 2010In molecular biology, we are often interested in determining the group structure in, e.g., a population of cells or microarray gene expression data...
- Physiology and molecular biology of renal carbonic anhydraseGeorge J Schwartz
Pediatric Nephrology, University of Rochester School of Medicine, NY 14642, USA
J Nephrol 15:S61-74. 2002..To establish other roles for CA in the kidney will require further kinetic, functional, immunolocalization and cloning studies...
- Combined eco-epidemiological and molecular biology approaches to assess Echinococcus granulosus transmission to humans in Mauritania: occurrence of the 'camel' strain and human cystic echinococcosisK Bardonnet
WHO Collaborating Centre for Prevention and Treatment of Human Echinococcosis, Research Unit Health and Rural Environment, University of Franche Comté SERF, School of Medicine and Pharmacy, 25 030 Besançon, France
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 96:383-6. 2002..animal reservoir responsible for human CE emerging in Mauritania, a simultaneous eco-epidemiological and molecular biology approach was performed...
- Molecular biology of insect olfaction: recent progress and conceptual modelsM Rutzler
Department of Biological Sciences, Program in Developmental Biology and Center for Molecular Neuroscience, Vanderbilt University, VU Station B 351634, Nashville, TN 37235 3582, USA
J Comp Physiol A Neuroethol Sens Neural Behav Physiol 191:777-90. 2005..This review intends to summarize much of this progress and to point out some areas where advances can be expected in the near future...
- Cell and molecular biology of microtubule plus end tracking proteins: end binding proteins and their partnersSusana Montenegro Gouveia
Department of Cell Biology, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int Rev Cell Mol Biol 285:1-74. 2010....
- Biochemistry and molecular biology of trophoblast invasionP Bischof
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Geneva, Switzerland
Ann N Y Acad Sci 943:157-62. 2001..This review is not intended to be an exhaustive catalogue of potential regulators of trophoblast invasion but is aimed at summarizing the most important categories of factors affecting trophoblast-endometrium interactions...
- Effects of systemic interleukin-10 therapy on psoriatic skin lesions: histologic, immunohistologic, and molecular biology findingsK Asadullah
Institute of Medical Immunology and Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Charite, Berlin Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
J Invest Dermatol 116:721-7. 2001..Our findings demonstrate considerable effects of systemic interleukin-10 application on the skin immune systems, which might contribute to the anti-psoriatic activity of interleukin-10...
- Identification and Analysis of Circadian Clock-Controlled GenesJennifer J Loros; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- CpnA's role in cAMP signaling and the actin cytoskeleton in DictyosteliumCynthia K Damer; Fiscal Year: 2013..Increasing our scientific knowledge of how copines function could lead to a better understanding of cancer and immune cell-related diseases. ..
- Metabolic regulation in growth factor-dependent cellsRalph J DeBerardinis; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- VACCINIA VIRUS BIOCHEMICAL GENETICSRichard C Condit; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Genome Persistence of KSHVErle S Robertson; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- TRAINING GRANT IN GENETICSCYNTHIA CASSON MORTON; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- MEDICAL GENETICS RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMBRENDAN HL LEE; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Subcellular architecture of regulatory protein complexes at the bacterial poleLUCILLE SHAPIRO; Fiscal Year: 2013..Dynamical information in live cells will be extracted from imaging at differen times of the cell cycle, thus providing an unprecedented view of the structure as well as the dynamics controlling bacterial cell organization and function. ..
- CryoEM Structural Studies of DNA-PKcs and Nonhomologous End Joining ComplexesPhoebe L Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2013..Ultimately this information will be helpful in understanding and treating cancer, severe combined immune deficiency (SCID), and sensitivity to ionizing radiation (RS-SCID). ..
- Promoting genetic literacy in students and teachers: The effectiveness of non-claLETA MEOLE TRIBBLE; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- NOVEL TECHNOLOGIES IN NEWBORN SCREENING M D MATERN; Fiscal Year: 2012..Also with support from NICHD, these assays are tested in a prospective comparative effectiveness study to determine the most efficient and effective approach to newborn screening for these conditions. ..
- MEDICAL GENETICS RESEARCH TRAINING GRANTIan D Krantz; Fiscal Year: 2013..has a substantial clinical load and fulfills a portion of her/his didactic course work in human genetics and molecular biology. This first year is funded by the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and The Children's ..
- California Center of the NBDPS - Finding Causes and Preventives of Birth DefectsGARY C SHAW; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- UCLA Intercampus Medical Genetics Training ProgramLAURENCE HERBERT KEDES; Fiscal Year: 2013..The faculty of this program provides research opportunities varying from basic molecular biology, genomics, cell biology, stem cell research, biochemical genetics, cytogenetics, population genetics, to ..
- MENTAL RETARDATION AND DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIESROBERT DESNICK; Fiscal Year: 2007..There is interdisciplinary input which has been enhanced by the addition of outstanding faculty in molecular biology, neurobiology, cell biology, bioinformatics, and gene therapy, areas of recent institutional growth and ..
- MOLECULAR AND SOMATIC CELL MAPPING OF DEER MOUSE GENESDUKE ROGERS; Fiscal Year: 1991..to protect gene combinations within these regions? 2) Is chromosome banding similarity among species indicative of underlying genic similarity; and 3) Have portions of the mammalian genome been conserved by chance or by selection?..
- REVERSE GENETICS OF ARENAVIRUSESJUAN DE LA TORRE; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will use biochemical, genetics and functional assays to assess the relevance in Arenavirus biology of candidates initially identified by TAP/MS. ..
- INFRASTRUCTURE FOR RESEARCH ON MENTAL DISABILITIESRoger Stevenson; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- BIOCHEMICAL GENETICS OF CELLULAR CHOLESTEROL METABOLISMMichael Sinensky; Fiscal Year: 1993..It is anticipated that these studies will aid in the development of chemotherapeutic methods towards management of atherosclerosis as well as shedding new light on the possible function of epoxysterols...
- MOLECULAR GENETIC BASIS OF HUMAN DISEASERobb Moses; Fiscal Year: 2005..The variety of research programs and the maturity of the clinical activities of the Department will allow the program to meet its goals. ..
- IMMUNOCHEMICAL GENETICS OF MURINE ALLOANTIGENSJames Michaelson; Fiscal Year: 1991....
- BIOCHEMICAL GENETICS AND STAT2 IN IFN SIGNALINGChristian Schindler; Fiscal Year: 1999..Specifically we propose to: 1. Create a Stat2 knock out mouse. 2. Carry out a functional comparison of the murine and human Stat2 homologs. 3. Identify the DNA binding elements for Stat2 homodimers. ..
- NEUROSTEROIDOGENESIS IN NIEMANN-PICK TYPE C DISEASELisa Griffin; Fiscal Year: 2001..The candidate's research background is in biochemical genetics and molecular biology with long term interest in molecular developmental neurobiology...
- BIOCHEMICAL GENETICS OF NATURAL POPULATIONSROBERT SELANDER; Fiscal Year: 1980..The research is expected to yield results important in determing the bases for the maintenance of molecular polymorphism in natural populations of organisms. Much of the work deals with the bacterium Escherichia coli...
- BIOCHEMICAL GENETICS OF MALE SEXUAL DETERMINATIONRobert Erickson; Fiscal Year: 1992..Thus, we believe that our studies of sex determination both increase our understanding of mammalian development and provide clinically useful material to aid patients seen in genetics and endocrine clinics...
- BIOCHEMICAL GENETICS OF DEVELOPMENT IN DROSOPHILAHERSCHEL MITCHELL; Fiscal Year: 1990..We plan to continue exploration of this interesting property of several of the proteins we are dealing with...
- Collaborative Genetics Research Training ProgramETHYLIN JABS; Fiscal Year: 2006..in Genetic Counseling, or research laboratory training, some of whom may obtain certification in Clinical Molecular Biology, Biochemical Genetics, or Cytogenetics. Predoctoral students will enroll in degree programs for a Ph.D...
- BIOCHEMICAL GENETICS OF CARBONIC ANHYDRASE DEFICIENCIESWilliam Sly; Fiscal Year: 2008..The answers sought have fundamental significance, and should provide information leading to novel therapeutic approaches to CA deficiency. ..
- PHENOTYPIC AND PSYCHOSOCIAL STUDY OF THE L1307K MUTATIONHenry Lynch; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- HORMONAL AND ZINC REGULATION OF PROSTATE M ACONITASELES COSTELLO; Fiscal Year: 2004..This information will provide new approaches to the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of PCa. ..
- STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION OF MEMBRANE PROTEINSWilliam Dowhan; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed experiments are expected to define at the molecular level the role of PE and other lipids in the assembly, organization, and function of polytopic membrane proteins. ..
- The Epidemiology of Mood, Anxiety and Alcohol DisorderKenneth Kendler; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- TESTING THE VALIDITY OF ADULT ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDERStephen Faraone; Fiscal Year: 2002..Thus, if founded, we expect that the proposed work will lead to a program of research that can both clarify the nosological complexities of adult ADHD and clarify the nature of genes that are risk factors for the disorder. ..
- 12th International Symposium on Basement MembranesJouni Uitto; Fiscal Year: 2005..In that sense, the meeting will meet some of the goals of the National Institutes of Health Roadmap Initiative. ..
- Structural Studies of Transcriptional RegulatorsMitchell Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2011..In the future a modified lac repressor could be used to regulate a variety of promoters. Endogenous loci could be switched on and off to create reversible models of human disease and normal development. ..
- Analysis of an ADHD Whole Genome Association ScanStephen Faraone; Fiscal Year: 2007..All genotype data generated by the GAIN whole genome association scan will be made available to the scientific community by GAIN as soon as the genotypes are completed. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A Twin-Family Study of Drug Use, Abuse, and DependenceKenneth Kendler; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- THE GENETIC EPIDEMIOLOGY OF SCHIZOPHRENIA IN IRELANDKenneth Kendler; Fiscal Year: 2008..In this competitive renewal, we request 5 further years of support with the primary goals of identifying these pathogenic variant(s) and relating them to the biology of the gene, gene product and disease. ..
- PROGRAM PROJECT GRANTJouni Uitto; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- 2/5-The Psychiatric GWAS Consortium: Integrated & Coordinated GWAS Meta-AnalysesStephen Faraone; Fiscal Year: 2008..Finally, the PGC proposes to abide as fully as possible with the NIH's GWAS data sharing policies and we provide a detailed data sharing plan and timetable. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Molecular Genetics of Familial Tumoral CalcinosisJouni Uitto; Fiscal Year: 2009..mice combined with pathophysiological in vitro and in vivo studies will provided new insight in the molecular biology of mucin-type O-glycosylation and its intriguing role in ectopic calcium crystal deposition disorders...
- MR-Guided Delivery and Monitoring of Magnetocapsules Immunoprotecting Islet CellsJEFF BULTE; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ASN Workshop "In Vivo MR Tracking of Stem Cells in the CNS" (R13)JEFF BULTE; Fiscal Year: 2005..The outcome of the workshop will be published in Experimental Neurology and available for the scientific community at large. ..
- An Irish Affected Sib Pair Study of Alcohol DependenceKenneth Kendler; Fiscal Year: 2005..To conduct this project we have assembled a team of experts in clinical assessment, statistical genetics and molecular genetics...
- Validating Novel Familial Phenotypes of Drug AbuseStephen Faraone; Fiscal Year: 2007..State of the art statistical techniques will be employed. ..