- In the name of public health--Nazi racial hygiene
U S Holocaust Memorial Museum, Washington, DC, USA
N Engl J Med 351:417-20. 2004
- Legacy of the American eugenics movement: implications for primary care
Family Practice Residency Program, Middlesex Hospital, 90 South Main Street, Middletown, CT 06457, USA
Prim Care 31:525-41, ix. 2004
..Leading American physicians, psychologists,social workers, scientists, educators, and philanthropists advocated a eugenics agenda that called for the elimination of the "unfit...
- Choosing the genetic makeup of our children: our eugenics past--present, and future?
Michael J Malinowski
Paul M Herbert Law Center, Louisiana State University, USA
Conn Law Rev 36:125-224. 2003
- The long road of eugenics: from Rockefeller to Roe v. Wade
Hum Life Rev 30:33-74. 2004
- On human self-domestication, psychiatry, and eugenics
Department of Psychiatry, University of Bochum, LWL Hospital, Germany
Philos Ethics Humanit Med 2:21. 2007
..In the case of "self-domestication", it is proposed that human characteristics resembling domesticated traits in animals should be labelled "domestication-like", or better, objectively described as genuine adaptations to sedentism...
- Eugenics: some lessons from the past
D J Galton
Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine, London EC1M 6BQ, UK
Reprod Biomed Online 10:133-6. 2005
b>Eugenics was first debated by the ancient Greeks, particularly Plato and Aristotle, developed in the nineteenth century by Francis Galton and Charles Darwin, and then abused in the twentieth century by right-wing politicians...
- Screening for disability: a eugenic pursuit?
Genetic Interest Group, London
J Med Ethics 27:ii21-3. 2001
- Free speech, democracy, and eugenics
J Med Ethics 30:519. 2004
- [Mentalities and sterilization laws in Europe during the 1930s. Eugenics, genetics, and politics in a historic context]
Institut für Medizin und Wissenschaftsgeschichte, Universitat zu Lubeck, Germany
Nervenarzt 73:1019-30. 2002
..b>Eugenics and the practice of sterilisation are constitutively linked to scientific justifications, just as - ..
- Sterilization in Finland: from eugenics to contraception
National Research and Development Centre for Welfare and Health, Health Services Research Unit, Helsinki, Finland
Soc Sci Med 45:1875-84. 1997
..The extreme gender ratio suggests a need for promoting male sterilizations, and women's expressed regrets suggest consideration of a higher age limit...
- The care-based ethic of Nazi medicine and the moral importance of what we care about
W T Reich
Am J Bioeth 1:64-74. 2001
..It argues that we should be attentive to the meaning and requirements of the care revealed in this debate, the ancient Greek idea of care as a concerned moral option...
- To what extent were ideas and beliefs about eugenics held in Nazi Germany shared in Britain and the United States prior to the second world war?
Vesalius 10:16-9. 2004
The term eugenics was first coined by Darwin's cousin, Francis Galton, in 1883...
- Doctors and nurses of death: a case study of eugenically motivated killing under the Nazi 'euthanasia' programme
School of Law, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, M13 9PL, Manchester, UK
Liverp Law Rev 27:5-30. 2006
..In addition, this study not only casts new light on the way in which patients were, from admission onwards, redefined as disposable objects but also emphasises contradictions within the defence case of the defendants...
- Human genetics and politics as mutually beneficial resources: The case of the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Anthropology, Human Heredity and Eugenics during the Third Reich
Sheila Faith Weiss
School of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Clarkson University, Potsdam, NY 13699 5750, USA
J Hist Biol 39:41-88. 2006
..research institutions for biomedical research, the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Anthropology, Human Heredity and Eugenics (KWIA) as a test case for the way in which politics and human heredity served as resources for each other during ..
- [Alfred Grotjahn's (1869-1931) way to "Faustic pact" in his project on social hygiene]
Institut für Soziologie der TU Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Gesundheitswesen 69:158-64. 2007
..Grotjahn integrated practical eugenics as a part of reproduction hygiene through the generative aspect within his planning horizon...
- [The quest of a project for the future: the National Socialistic leading discipline psychiatry and its "crisis of legitimation"]
Med Ges Gesch 26:117-42. 2006
..During the years 1941/42 the futile quest of a psychiatric "project for the future" began. Psychiatrists tried to justify the existence of their profession by research and modernization. An attempt that was doomed to failure...
- [Nursing in the Third Reich]
Kinderkrankenschwester 26:135-41. 2007
- ["I believe that I always had an impeccable attitude during this time": the paediatrician and neurologist Gertrud Soeken and national socialism]
Institut fur Geschichte und Ethik der Medizin, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf
Medizinhist J 41:315-53. 2006
..The relevance of the professional network on which she was able to rely is particularly discussed...
- History of the eugenic movement
Pablo V Gejman
Schizophrenia Genetics Research Program, Department of Psychiatry, Jules F Knapp Research Center, University of Chicago, 924 East 57th Street, Room R 010, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci 39:217-31. 2002
..First, we address the work of prominent 19th century forerunners of eugenics. Second, we discuss the eugenic movement during the first half of the 20th century, and its common and ..
- [Dr. Elisabeth Hecker (1895-1986): career in child and adolescent psychiatry on the one hand--involvement in elimination of the handicapped on the other hand]
Abteilung Ethik und Geschichte der Medizin, Universitat Gottingen, Germany
Prax Kinderpsychol Kinderpsychiatr 52:98-108. 2003
..The following paper analyses Hecker's involvement to the child "euthanasia" program based on unnoticed archival sources...
- ["Cause of death: euthanasia". Exhibit of the Prinzhorn Collection at the Heidelberg University Clinic March 10 2002-February 3 2003]
Springer Verlag, Heidelberg, Germany
Nervenarzt 73:1116-7. 2002
- Mental health reform not always beneficial
Mary V Seeman
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Centre for Addiciton and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Psychiatry 70:252-9. 2007
..The conclusion for our time is that the new and seemingly expedient need always to be questioned. If nothing else, the paper reviews an important era in the history of our profession...
- Deadly medicine
U S Holocaust Memorial Museum, USA
Public Hist 29:19-32. 2007
..the methods the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum used to make an exhibition on the complex history of Nazi eugenics accessible to the museum's mass public and at the same time, provocative for special audiences consisting of ..
- Hallervorden and history
Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, McGill University, and the Montreal Children s Hospital McGill University Health Center, Montreal
N Engl J Med 348:3-4. 2003
- [The highly gifted persons study by Adele Juda 1927-1955. Pinnacle and end of psychiatric genius research in Germany]
Max Planck Institut fur Psychiatrie, Deutsche Forschungsanstalt für Psychiatrie, Historisches Archiv der Klinik, Kraepelinstrasse 2, D 80804 München
Sudhoffs Arch 91:20-37. 2007
..Last not least due to the fact that they came from Rüdin's former institute these publications were not taken much notice of...
- [Effects of "unification" on Austrian nursing]
Abteilung Pflegeforschung des Instituts für Pflege und Gesundheitssystemforschung, Universität Linz, Bennogasse 21 3, A 1080 Wien
Pflege 16:6-16. 2003
..This article is part of a long years' project of the Institute of Nursing and Health Care Research at the University Linz, Dept. Nursing Research to investigate the role of nursing in Austria in the 19th and 20th century...
- [On the track of "scientific pursuit". Franz Josef Kallmann (1897-1965) and genetic racial research]
Sandstrasse 9a 80335 München
Medizinhist J 37:183-200. 2002
..After 1945 Rüdin got a denazification certificate from Kallmann who already co-operated again with Lang...
- [Comments on "Herman Simon"]
Nervenarzt 73:1118. 2002
- ["Baur-Fischer-Lenz" in 1921-1940 critical book reviews: a quantitative study of contemporary reception of racial eugenics theories]
Abteilung für Ethik und Geschichte der Medizin des Universitätsklinikums Göttingen Humboldtallee 36, 37073 Gottingen
Medizinhist J 38:57-81. 2003
..1941 their work went through 5 editions and became the standard textbook on human heredity and racial hygiene (eugenics) in Germany...
- [The German Ophthalmological Society (DOG) during the Period of National Socialism]
J M Rohrbach
Augenklinik des Universitäts Klinikums, Abteilung I, Schleichstrasse 12, 72076 Tubingen
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 223:869-76. 2006
..However, taking into consideration that more than 10 % of the members of the pre-Hitler era left their scientific society it is a matter of interpretation whether the DOG remained completely innocent between 1933 and 1945...
- Lebensunwertes Leben: the devolution of personhood in the Weimar and pre-Weimar era
J Daryl Charles
Union University, Jackson, TN, USA
Ethics Med 21:41-54. 2005
- The Nazi symbiosis: politics and human genetics at the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute
Thomas M Berez
School of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Clarkson University, Potsdam, NY 13699 5750, USA
Endeavour 28:172-7. 2004
The case of the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Anthropology, Human Heredity and Eugenics (KWIA), from its inception in Weimar Republic Germany to its apogee under the rule of the Third Reich, is an example of how politics and human heredity ..
- The seduction of science to perfect an imperfect race
Int J Health Serv 35:399-404. 2005
..quot; The exhibition is about problems universal to science and medicine. Eugenics was not a crazed Hitlerian fantasy, and eugenicists were within the scientific mainstream...
- Never forget
Isr Med Assoc J 7:478. 2005
- [A still important medical ethics dilemma. Whose needs go first--the patient's or the society's?]
Psykiatriska kliniken, Sjukhuset, Varberg
Lakartidningen 102:2410-2. 2005
- Aide memoire--the role of the German medical establishment in the Holocaust: a retrospective on the 60th Anniversary of the Liberation of Auschwitz
Yehuda G Adam
Isr Med Assoc J 7:139-42. 2005
- The evolution of standards for experimental treatment or research
J Psychiatry Law 33:129-74. 2005
- [Eugenic indication for abortion--a historical background]
Institutt for filosofi, Postboks 1020 Blindern, Universitetet i Oslo, 0315 Oslo
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 125:3472-6. 2005
..frequently leave the impression that the eugenic clause in the Norwegian abortion act is a heritage from the eugenics movement in the 1930s...
- Nuremberg and Tuskegee: lessons for contemporary American medicine
David M Pressel
Department of Pediatrics, Alfred I duPont Hospital for Children, 1600 Rockland Road, PO Box 269, Wilmington, DE 19899, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 95:1216-25. 2003
..This essay will examine the ethical problems of Nazi medicine and ethical missteps in the United States in the context of challenges for contemporary physicians, particularly the way in which we refer to our patients...
- [Hundred years of social medicine in Germany]
Forschungsschwerpunkt Zeitgeschichte, Institut für Geschichte der Medizin im Zentrum für Human und Gesundheitswissenschaften der Charité, Universitatsmedizin Berlin
Gesundheitswesen 68:85-93. 2006
..They were responsible for medical interventions into the physical integrity of hundreds of thousands of human beings under the political terms and conditions of National Socialism...
- [Albert and Gustav Döderlein -- a critical view to the biographies of two German professors]
Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Klinik fur Frauenheilkunde und Geburtshilfe
Zentralbl Gynakol 128:56-9. 2006
..He can be regarded as the founder of antenatal care in Germany. Both scientific and historic aspects of the biographies of these two professors are critically looked right past...
- Neurosciences and the Third Reich introduction
Institute for the History of Medicine and Medical Ethics, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
J Hist Neurosci 15:168-72. 2006
- Karl Brandt in the dock
Eugene F Diamond
Loyola University, Stritch School of Medicine, USA
Linacre Q 71:308-15. 2004
- [The history of the Kaiser Wilhelm Society during the Third Reich. Interim reports of the president's commission of the Max Planck Society]
M M Weber
Max Planck Institut fur Psychiatrie, Munchen, Germany
Nervenarzt 73:1107-11. 2002
..However, they do not yet allow a final historical assessment as to the complex situation of this field of research during National Socialism...
- Darwinism and death: devaluing human life in Germany 1859-1920
California State University, Stanislaus
J Hist Ideas 63:323-44. 2002
- [Orthopedics and patients under national socialism dictatorship]
K D Thomann
Medizinhistorisches Institut, , Am Pulverturm 13, 55131 Mainz
Orthopade 30:696-711. 2001
..The ethnical problems of involvement with National Socialism are thoroughly discussed...
- Contrasts and challenges
H David Crombie
Conn Med 68:537. 2004
- Ethics seminars: physician complicity in the Holocaust: historical review and reflections on emergency medicine in the 21st century, part I
Joel Martin Geiderman
Ruth and Harry Roman Emergency Department, Burns and Allen Research Institute, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Acad Emerg Med 9:223-31. 2002
..It also explores the role of professionalism then and now. In particular, ethical issues presently confronting emergency physicians are examined through this prism...
- Ethics seminars: physician complicity in the Holocaust: historical review and reflections on emergency medicine in the 21st century, part II
Joel Martin Geiderman
Ruth and Harry Roman Emergency Department, Burns and Allen Research Institute, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Acad Emerg Med 9:232-40. 2002
..It also focuses on ethical concerns and challenges that confront contemporary emergency practitioners, some of which have parallels, though certainly not direct comparators, in the Nazi era...
- Doctor-patient relations in Nazi Germany and the fate of psychiatric patients
Irwin N Hassenfeld
Ellis Hospital, Schenectady, N Y, USA
Psychiatr Q 73:183-94. 2002
- [The future needs background information]
Krankenpfl Soins Infirm 99:15-7. 2006
- [Neuroscientists in the Third Reich]
A Villarejo Galende
Dervidio de Neurología, Hospital Doce de Octubre, Madrid
Neurologia 23:126-35. 2008
..This article analyzes the effects that the arrival of the nazis to power as well as the participation of the neuroscientists in the programs developed by nazi medicine had on german neurology...
- [Operation T4 or the implication of the German dental surgeons in the ideology of eugenics and the euthanasia of mental lunatics]
Hist Sci Med 41:105-12. 2007
..Their implication is even more unquestionable when it came to removing dental gold from the mouth of the victims. Once it was collected this gold contributed on a financial level, to the course of the T4 operation...
- German science and black racism--roots of the Nazi Holocaust
400 East 34th St, RR114, New York, NY 10016, USA E mail
FASEB J 22:332-7. 2008
..This culminated in the extermination camps...
- [Victims of Nazi euthanasia, the so-called T4 action. First results of a project at the German Federal Archives to disclose records of killed patients]
Psychiatrische Universitätsklinik Heidelberg, Germany
Nervenarzt 73:1065-74. 2002
..A third of the patients killed were considered invalid and not working, and almost 50% were described as working "mechanically". Five per cent of the victims were working "productively"...
- [Werner Villinger and National Socialist medical crimes]
H W Schmuhl
Fakultät für Geschichtswissenschaft, Philosophie und Theologie, Universitat Bielefeld, Germany
Nervenarzt 73:1058-63. 2002
..Villinger was also involved in criminal experiments with human beings. After 1945, he successfully continued his career in the Federal Republic of Germany. He never confronted his past during the Third Reich...
- [How did youths deal with their forced sterilisation during the Third Reich? Report of a physician involved]
Abteilung für Kinder und Jugendpsychiatrie der Klinik und Poliklinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie der Friedrich Alexander Universität Erlangen Nürnberg, Germany
Nervenarzt 73:1055-7. 2002
- [Exhibition "Deadly Medicine" in Dresden. German medicine inclusive eugenics and "end solution"]
MMW Fortschr Med 149:51. 2007
- [The standard textbook on racial hygiene by Erwin Baur, Eugen Fischer, and Fritz Lenz as viewed by the psychiatric and neurological communities from 1921 to 1940]
Institut für Ethik und Geschichte der Medizin, Universitat Gottingen, Germany
Nervenarzt 73:1039-46. 2002
..We describe how they prepared and maintained the acceptance of eugenic politics in the medical profession by praising the standard work on racial hygiene...
- Eugenics discourse and racial improvement in Republican China (1911-1949)
Kyu Hwan Sihn
Department of Medical History, College of Medicine, Yonsei University, Seodaemun Ku, Seoul, Korea
Uisahak 19:459-85. 2010
This paper aimed to examine the advent of eugenics and its characteristics in republican China...
- Should genetic health care providers attempt to influence reproductive outcome using directive counseling techniques? A public health prospective
R M Fineman
Office of Maternal and Child Health, Washington State Department of Health, Seattle 98101 1632, USA
Women Health 30:39-47. 2000
..4 mg of folic acid daily to reduce the risk of NTDs. In the past, issues such as eugenics, abortion of affected fetuses, and a lack of methods for the primary prevention of birth defects and genetic ..
- Human heredity and politics: A comparative institutional study of the Eugenics Record Office at Cold Spring Harbor (United States), the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Anthropology, Human Heredity, and Eugenics (Germany), and the Maxim Gorky Medical Genetics
Mark B Adams
Department of the History and Sociology of Science, Univ of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6304, USA
Osiris 20:232-62. 2005
..This paper attempts to provide some answers to these two questions comparing three institutes that studied eugenics and human heredity in the 1920s and 1930s: the Eugenics Record Office at Cold Spring Harbor, New York, directed ..
- [National socialism health policy and the Aachen region reflected in the "West German Observer"]
Institut für Geschichte, Theorie und Ethik der Medizin, RWTH Aachen
Sudhoffs Arch 94:214-42. 2010
..It seems to be that the emphasis was deliberately not laid on the matter "medicine" especially eugenics--which was one of the main components of the Nazi ideology--because the regime didn't want it to become a public ..
- [Creating a 'Germanic' public health: national-socialism, human genetics, and eugenics in the Netherlands]
VU Medisch Centrum, Afdeling Metamedica, k D 326, Postbus 7057, 1007 MB Amsterdam
Gewina 30:62-74. 2007
..rejected a purely genetic determinism and advocated measures of social hygiene next to a positive and negative eugenics in the creation of a more healthy Germanic people and a purer race...
- Racial differences in the use of BRCA1/2 testing among women with a family history of breast or ovarian cancer
Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
JAMA 293:1729-36. 2005
Given the current context of racial disparities in health and health care and the historical context of eugenics, racial disparities in the use of genetic susceptibility testing have been widely anticipated...
- Heredity, reproduction, and perfectibility in revolutionary and Napoleonic France, 1789-1815
Department of History, University of Idaho, Moscow, ID 83844 3175, United States
Endeavour 34:142-50. 2010
..In some ways anticipating ideas associated with modern eugenics, these writings emerged from radical revolutionary projects for 'physical and moral regeneration' and incarnated ..
- Moving up the slippery slope: mandated genetic screening on Cyprus
Ruth Schwartz Cowan
History and Sociology of Science, University of Pennsylvania, 249 S 36th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6304, USA
Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet 151:95-103. 2009
Many social scientists and bioethicists have argued that genetic screening is a new form of eugenics. Examination of the development of the quasi-mandated screening program for beta-thalassemia in the Republic of Cyprus (1970-1984) ..
- Charles Wesley Hargitt (1852-1927): American educator and cnidarian biologist
Dale R Calder
Dept of Natural History, Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto, Canada
Arch Nat Hist 36:244-61. 2009
..animal behaviour, cell biology, development, ecology, natural history, and taxonomy, as well as education, eugenics, and theology, and he wrote or contributed to more than 100 publications in science...
- [Professor Juozas Blazys--psychiatrist, academic and public figure]
Psychiatry Clinic, Vilnius University, Vasaros 5, Vilnius 10309, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 41:442-5. 2005
..in the fields of forensic psychiatry, military expertise, heredity and is contradictory evaluated in the field of eugenics till now. Juozas Blazys was born in Siauliai...
- Knowledge and attitudes towards preimplantation genetic diagnosis in Germany
Selbständige Abteilung für Medizinische Psychologie und Medizinische Soziologie, University of Leipzig, Stephanstr 11, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Hum Reprod 20:231-8. 2005
..forms of legislation; Germany constitutes an interesting case because of the historical background concerning eugenics and dealing with handicapped persons at the time of national socialism...
- ["A decision meaning a new foundation...": from the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Anthropology, Human Genetics and Eugenics to the Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics]
Institut für Zeitgeschichte, Universitat Wien, Wien
Medizinhist J 46:24-50. 2011
..makes no mention of its predecessor institutes, the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Anthropology, Human Genetics and Eugenics (KWIA) and the subsequent MPI for Comparative Genetics and Hereditary Pathology (MPIVEE)...
- The causes of epilepsy: changing concepts of etiology of epilepsy over the past 150 years
Simon D Shorvon
UCL Institute of Neurology, University College London, London, UK
Epilepsia 52:1033-44. 2011
..the self-perpetuating nature of seizures, reflex theories of etiology, autointoxication, heredity and eugenics, epilepsy due to brain disorders, the role of EEG and of hippocampal sclerosis, psychological theories of ..
- Advances in understanding behavioral phenotypes in neurogenetic syndromes
James C Harris
Developmental Neuropsychiatry program at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet 154:389-99. 2010
..Research interest followed but waned during the eugenics era when antisocial behavior was attributed to people with intellectual disability (ID) and the US Supreme Court ..
- Substance use disorder genetic research: investigators and participants grapple with the ethical issues
Marilyn E Coors
Center for Bioethics and Humanities bDivision of Substance Dependence, Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, Colorado, USA
Psychiatr Genet 19:83-90. 2009
..This qualitative research examined the ethical concerns regarding the psychosocial issues, research design and implementation, and application of psychiatric genetic research on substance use disorders (SUD) from multiple perspectives...
- The medical exclusion of an immigrant to the United States of America in the early twentieth century. The case of Cristina Imparato
Pascal James Imperato
State University of New York, Downstate Medical Center, 450 Clarkson Avenue, P O Box 43, Brooklyn, NY 11203, USA
J Community Health 33:225-40. 2008
..to the existing immigration laws which reflected the influences of the powerful anti-immigration forces of eugenics and nativism. The line, or single-file queues in which immigrants were arranged, facilitated rapid processing...
- Down syndrome: coercion and eugenics
Linda L McCabe
Linda Crnic Institute for Down Syndrome, University of Colorado, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Genet Med 13:708-10. 2011
..coercion to limit reproductive choice, and we present examples of governmental rhetoric and policies condoning eugenics and commercial policies meeting criteria established by experts for eugenics...
- Moral and policy issues in long-acting contraception
G F Brown
Population Council, New York 10017, USA
Annu Rev Public Health 18:379-400. 1997
..in developing countries, of the use and abuse of long-acting methods, including sterilization, in the context of eugenics and population control policies...
- Arguing along the slippery slope of human embryo research
J S Freeman
Institutional Review Board, Connecticut Children s Medical Center, USA
J Med Philos 21:61-81. 1996
..current protections for human subjects research, erode respect for persons with disabilities, and encourage eugenics practices...
- Focus: Darwin as a cultural icon
James A Secord
Department of History and Philosophy of Science, University of Cambridge, Free School Lane, Cambridge CB2 3RH, United Kingdom
Isis 100:537-41. 2009
..The bearded sage of Down House has been invoked in a wide range of contexts in the English-speaking world, from eugenics and social policy to debates about the implications of science for religious belief...
- Karl Kleist (1879-1960)- a pioneer of neuropsychiatry
Klaus Jürgen Neumärker
International Wernicke Kleist Leonhard Society, Chefarzt der DRK Kliniken Westend, Klinik für Kinder und Jugendpsychiatrie Psychotherapie, Berlin, Germany
Hist Psychiatry 14:411-58. 2003
..to treat Jewish patients, to employ Jewish colleagues and to voice evident criticism of the policies of "eugenics" and "euthanasia"...
- [Geneticists in the service of war? The German Research Foundation, the Reich Research Council, and policy changes in research on heredity]
Ruprech Karls Universität Heildelberg, Institut fur Geschichte der Medizin
Medizinhist J 40:141-68. 2005
..of the available funds were concentrated on the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Anthropology, Human Heredity and Eugenics. This essay analyzes the institutional context of science policy as well as the dynamics between the science of ..
- Selling eugenics: the case of Sweden
Department of Thematic Studies, Technology and Social Change, Linkoping University, 581 83 Linkoping, Sweden
Notes Rec R Soc Lond 64:379-400. 2010
This paper traces the early (1910s to 1920s) development of Swedish eugenics through a study of the social network that promoted it...
- From what and why did genetics emerge as a medical specialism in the 1970s in the UK? A case-history of research, policy and services in the Manchester region of the NHS. National Health Service
P A Coventry
University of Manchester, Wellcome Unit of History of Medicine, UK
Soc Sci Med 49:1227-38. 1999
The history of genetics has concentrated on eugenics in the first half of the 20th century and molecular genetics in the second...
- The doers of good. Scandinavian historians revise the social history of eugenics(1997-2001)
Centre de recherche médecine, Sciences, santé et société, CNRS UMR 8169 INSERM U 750, Paris, F
Med Secoli 20:937-64. 2008
..Teetotalers and feminists shared responsibilities. How can one explain that eugenics finally declined? Based on a sound application of the Hardy-Weinberg law, the science of the eugenicists was ..
- Neuroscience in Nazi Europe part I: eugenics, human experimentation, and mass murder
Lawrence A Zeidman
Department of Neurology and Rehabilitation M C 796, Neuropsychiatric Institute, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can J Neurol Sci 38:696-703. 2011
..Only by understanding the actions of neuroscientists during this dark period can we learn from the slippery slope down which they traveled, and prevent history from repeating itself...
- [Pre-pregnancy and early clinical analysis of TORCH infections detection]
Ai Hua Fu
Family Planning Service Station of Yan Cheng County, Shandong Province 276100, China
Zhonghua Shi Yan He Lin Chuang Bing Du Xue Za Zhi 23:307-8. 2009
For the birth, to improve the quality of the population, to explore the prevention and treatment of early pregnancy TORCH infection, and treatment of patients with positive eugenics and guidance.
- Against UNESCO: Gedda, Gini and American scientific racism
Dipartimento di Economia S Cognetti de Martiis, Universita di Torino, I
Med Secoli 20:907-35. 2008
..of this article is to shed light on the ideological, institutional and intellectual connections between Italian eugenics and American scientific racism, from 1953 to 1967...
- [Genetic counseling and instruction of marriage for deaf young people: study of 115 cases]
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, General Hospital of Chinese People s Liberation Army, Beijing 100853, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 89:677-9. 2009
..To invesigate the molecular pathogenesis of deafness among the youth by means of genetic testing so as to provide pre-marriage genetic counseling and instruction for the deaf youth...
- Three-dimensional technology for linear morphological studies: a re-examination of cranial variation in four southern African indigenous populations
School of Anatomy and Human Biology, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Hwy, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
Homo 56:17-34. 2005
..Comparisons were not made with her Penrose (Ann Eugenics 18 (1954) 337) analysis as an apparently anomalous 'shape'-'size' statistic was found...
- Tests for establishing compatibility of an observed genotype distribution with Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium in the case of a biallelic locus
Division of Biostatistics, Central Institute of Mental Health Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, D 68159 Mannheim, J5, Germany
Biometrics 60:694-703. 2004
..the (scalar) parameter of the distribution first introduced into the present context by Stevens (1938, Annals of Eugenics 8, 377-383)...
- Enhancing who? Enhancing what? Ethics, bioethics, and transhumanism
Information Outreach, Ltd, 136 Hammersmith Ave, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Med Philos 35:685-99. 2010
..The argument of both, this paper argues, is a new riff on the old eugenics tune. As ever, it is done in the name of science and its presumed knowledge base...
- Imperialism, race, and therapeutics: the legacy of medicalizing the "colonial body"
Department of History, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow
J Law Med Ethics 36:506-16. 2008
The era of high colonialism in South Asia coincided with the period when eugenics came to dominate much of the scientific discourse in Europe and America...
- Ethical considerations in prenatal sex selection
Leslie Doty Hollingsworth
School of Social Work, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109 1106, USA
Health Soc Work 30:126-34. 2005
..for example, reinforcement of gender bias, the potential for gender discrimination and oppression, a move toward eugenics, restricted access based on social or economic status, and the discarding of human embryos), the importance of ..
- Attitudes of Japanese students toward people with intellectual disability
University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Intellect Disabil Res 46:365-78. 2002
..The study also examined how these attitudes are related to individual characteristics, such as experience with people with ID, major field of study and career interests...
- Preconception health promotion: analysis of means and constraints
Office de la Naissance et de l Enfance ONE, Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care 14:307-16. 2009
..To assess means and constraints of preconception care implementation...
- Changing opinions of Mexican geneticists on ethical issues
Direccion de Investigacion, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, Mexico, DF, Mexico
Arch Med Res 37:794-803. 2006
..However, in the present report we were able to compare the results obtained with the same instrument in two surveys performed with a 12-year interval...
- Anton's Syndrome and Eugenics
Department of Neurology, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Clin Neurol 7:96-8. 2011
..However, it has not been recognized in the English literature that Anton was also a dedicated advocate of eugenics and racial hygiene...
- Eugenics and modern biology: critiques of eugenics, 1910-1945
Garland E Allen
Department of Biology, Washington University in St Louis, MO, USA
Ann Hum Genet 75:314-25. 2011
b>Eugenics in most western countries in the first four decades of the 20th century was based on the idea that genes control most human phenotypic traits, everything from physical features such as polydactyly and eye colour to physiological ..
- Eugène Apert and his contributions to plastic surgery
Dennis S Lee
University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Ann Plast Surg 64:362-5. 2010
..He was also a founding member of the French Eugenics Society, serving as its secretary general and president in a tenure that lasted for most of his career...
- Eugenics for the doctors: medicine and social control in 1930s Turkey
Sanem Güvenç Salgirli
Department of Sociology, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Marmara University, Göztepe Kampüsü, 34722, Kadikoy, Istanbul, Turkey
J Hist Med Allied Sci 66:281-312. 2011
This article aims to add a new dimension to the analysis of the relationship between medicine and eugenics via a discussion of the community of Turkish physicians in the period between the two World Wars...