- The biochemistry and molecular biology of lipid accumulation in oleaginous microorganisms
Lipid Research Centre, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Hull, HU6 7RX, United Kingdom
Adv Appl Microbiol 51:1-51. 2002
- Rho GTPases: biochemistry and biology
Aron B Jaffe
MRC Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology, Cancer Research UK, Oncogene and Signal Transduction Group, United Kingdom
Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 21:247-69. 2005
..In the first part of this review, we present the best characterized of these biochemical pathways; in the second part, we attempt to integrate these molecular details into a biological context...
- Advances of high-resolution NMR techniques in the structural and metabolic analysis of plant biochemistry
Lehrstuhl fur Organische Chemie und Biochemie, Technische Universitat Munchen, Lichtenbergstr 4, D 85747 Garching, Germany
Phytochemistry 68:2799-815. 2007
..This review summarizes some of the recent advances of high-resolution NMR spectroscopy in the field of plant sciences...
- CLSI-derived hematology and biochemistry reference intervals for healthy adults in eastern and southern Africa
Projet San Francisco PSF, Kigali, Rwanda
PLoS ONE 4:e4401. 2009
..The objective of this study was to establish clinical laboratory reference intervals for 25 hematology, immunology and biochemistry values among healthy African adults typical of those who might join a clinical trial.
- In-cell biochemistry using NMR spectroscopy
David S Burz
Department of Chemistry, State University of New York at Albany, Albany, New York, United States of America
PLoS ONE 3:e2571. 2008
b>Biochemistry and structural biology are undergoing a dramatic revolution...
- Chemistry and biochemistry of dietary polyphenols
Guelph Food Research Centre, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Guelph Ontario, N1G 5C9, Canada
Nutrients 2:1231-46. 2010
..This paper is intended to review the chemistry and biochemistry of polyphenols as related to classification, extraction, separation and analytical methods, their occurrence ..
- Improving the flavor of fresh fruits: genomics, biochemistry, and biotechnology
Harry J Klee
University of Florida, Horticultural Sciences, PO Box 110690, Gainesville, FL 23611 0690, USA
New Phytol 187:44-56. 2010
..However, our knowledge of the regulation of the critical metabolic pathways is still limited. Nonetheless, the pieces are in place for rapid advances to be made in the manipulation of flavor chemistry in the immediate future...
- Biochemistry and biophysics of HIV-1 gp41 - membrane interactions and implications for HIV-1 envelope protein mediated viral-cell fusion and fusion inhibitor design
Beijing Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Haidian District, Beijing 100850, China
Curr Top Med Chem 11:2959-84. 2011
- A method for the quantitative site-specific study of the biochemistry within dental plaque biofilms formed in vivo
Division of Oral Biology, Leeds Dental Institute, UK
Caries Res 31:194-200. 1997
- In vivo biochemistry: applications for small molecule biosensors in plant biology
Alexander M Jones
Carnegie Institution for Science, Department of Plant Biology, 260 Panama St, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Curr Opin Plant Biol 16:389-95. 2013
..Such information can now be obtained by transitioning from in vitro to in vivo biochemistry using biosensors...
- The biochemistry of RNA metabolism studied in situ
Jeffrey A Nickerson
Department of Cell Biology and Cancer Center, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts 01655, USA
RNA Biol 6:25-30. 2009
..A newer technique--in vitro FRAP--assesses the regulation of binding and complex formation by co-factors in the nucleus...
- Microfluidics: applications for analytical purposes in chemistry and biochemistry
Ken ichi Ohno
Institute for Analytical Sciences, Dortmund, Germany
Electrophoresis 29:4443-53. 2008
..recent advancements and novel developments in fluidic systems for applied analytical purposes in chemistry, biochemistry, and life science in general that employ and reflect the full benefits of microfluidics...
- Cell biochemistry studied by single-molecule imaging
G I Mashanov
Division of Physical Biochemistry, MRC National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Biochem Soc Trans 34:983-8. 2006
..Meanwhile, close scrutiny of individual fluorophore trajectories enables ideas about molecular dimerization and oligomerization related to function to be tested directly...
- From "butyribacterium" to "E. coli": an essay on unity in biochemistry
Herbert C Friedmann
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Chicago, 920 East 58th Street, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Perspect Biol Med 47:47-66. 2004
..In that year Kluyver and his associate Hendrick Jean Louis Donker published a celebrated paper, "Unity in Biochemistry." The concept of biochemical unity had many antecedents, but these had never caught on...
- Bistability analyses of a caspase activation model for receptor-induced apoptosis
Institute for Systems Theory in Engineering, University of Stuttgart, Pfaffenwaldring 9, 70550 Stuttgart, Germany
J Biol Chem 279:36892-7. 2004
..In addition, the results from our model studies allowed us to reconcile the fast kinetics of caspase 3 activation observed at the single cell level with the much slower kinetics found at the level of a cell population...
- Spin biochemistry: magnetic 24Mg-25Mg-26Mg isotope effect in mitochondrial ADP phosphorylation
Anatoly L Buchachenko
NN Semenov Institute for Chemical Physics, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow
Cell Biochem Biophys 43:243-51. 2005
..Therefore, the key mitochondrial phosphotransferases work as a magnesium nuclear spin mediated molecular machines...
- RuleBender: integrated modeling, simulation and visualization for rule-based intracellular biochemistry
Adam M Smith
Department of Computer Science, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 13:S3. 2012
..However, novel visual tools are needed in order to make RBM accessible to a broad range of users, to make specification of models less error prone, and to improve workflows...
- Cy5.5-DTPA-galactosyl-dextran: a fluorescent probe for in vivo measurement of receptor biochemistry
David R Vera
Department of Radiology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, 92093, USA
Nucl Med Biol 32:687-93. 2005
The high sensitivity of fluorescent reporters offers an opportunity to analytically probe the biochemistry of in vivo receptor systems with low target tissue concentration...
- IntEnz, the integrated relational enzyme database
EMBL Outstation European Bioinformatics Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SD, UK
Nucleic Acids Res 32:D434-7. 2004
..IntEnz is supported by NC-IUBMB and contains enzyme data curated and approved by this committee. The database IntEnz is available at http://www.ebi.ac.uk/intenz...
- Covalent inhibitors of glycosidases and their applications in biochemistry and biology
Brian P Rempel
Department of Chemistry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia V6T 1Z3, Canada
Glycobiology 18:570-86. 2008
- Applications and trends in systems biology in biochemistry
Department of Modeling of Biological Processes, COS Heidelberg BioQuant, University of Heidelberg, Germany
FEBS J 278:2767-857. 2011
..We point out which computational and experimental methods are employed most frequently and which trends in systems biology research can be observed. Finally, we discuss some problems that we have encountered in publications in the field...
- Analyzing cell fate control by cytokines through continuous single cell biochemistry
Michael A Rieger
Helmholtz Zentrum Muenchen, German Research Center for Environmental Health, 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
J Cell Biochem 108:343-52. 2009
..This prospect article will outline the necessity of continuous single cell biochemistry to unravel the biological functions of molecular cytokine signaling...
- Structure and biochemistry of cadherins and catenins
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics and Edward S Harkness Eye Institute, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol 1:a003053. 2009
..Rather than stably bridging beta-catenin to actin, it appears that alpha-catenin actively regulates the actin cytoskeleton at cadherin-based cell-cell contacts...
- Biochemistry of the intervertebral disc
T R Oegema
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 55455
Clin Sports Med 12:419-39. 1993
In comparison to other tissues, understanding the disc biochemistry is only in the very early stage. The few facts that are known would point to strategies for interventions to alter disc biology and maintain disc biomechanics.
- Soft lithography in biology and biochemistry
G M Whitesides
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Annu Rev Biomed Eng 3:335-73. 2001
..Self-assembled monolayers of alkanethiolates on gold are particularly easy to pattern by soft lithography, and they provide exquisite control over surface biochemistry.
- The plastoglobule: a bag full of lipid biochemistry tricks
Laboratoire de Physiologie Vegetale, Universite de Neuchatel, Neuchatel, Switzerland
Photochem Photobiol 84:1388-94. 2008
..This review will give a summary of research, past and present, attempting to elucidate the role of plastoglobules in the context of plastid function...
- 100 years of peroxynitrite chemistry and 11 years of peroxynitrite biochemistry
W H Koppenol
Laboratorium für Anorganische Chemie, Eidgenossische Technische Hochschule, Zurich, Switzerland
Redox Rep 6:339-41. 2001
- Antifouling enzymes and the biochemistry of marine settlement
Jakob Broberg Kristensen
Interdisciplinary Nanoscience Center iNANO, University of Aarhus, Aarhus C, Denmark
Biotechnol Adv 26:471-81. 2008
..The validity of the various modes of action is evaluated and the groups of enzymes with the highest potential are highlighted...
- Mapping enzymatic catalysis using the effective fragment molecular orbital method: towards all ab initio biochemistry
Department of Chemistry, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
PLoS ONE 8:e60602. 2013
..We determine the reaction barrier of chorismate mutase to be [Formula: see text] kcal mol(-1) for MP2/cc-pVDZ and [Formula: see text] for MP2/cc-pVTZ in an ONIOM approach using EFMO-RHF/6-31G(d) for the high and low layers, respectively...
- Clinical biochemistry education, training and continuing professional development in the United Kingdom
Graham H Beastall
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, Glasgow, United Kingdom
Clin Chim Acta 393:17-21. 2008
Education and training to become a senior professional in UK clinical biochemistry is coordinated at national level and is largely dependent upon completion of the MRCPath examination...
- A course director's perspectives on problem-based learning curricula in biochemistry
Harold C Smith
Medical school biochemistry, Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York, USA
Acad Med 77:1189-98. 2002
Knowledge of the applications of biochemistry, molecular biology, and genetics in the practice of medicine has been and continues to be a vital part of medical students' and continuing education...
- Compounds of Mo, V and W in biochemistry and their biomedical activity
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Belgrade, P O Box 146, 11 001 Belgrade, Serbia
J Trace Elem Med Biol 21:8-16. 2007
..Also, compounds of these trace elements represent potent antiobesity agents and express hepatoprotective and antioxidative stress activity...
- Bifurcation discovery tool
Keck Graduate Institute, Claremont, CA 91711, USA
Bioinformatics 21:3688-90. 2005
- The effect of magnesium sulfate treatment on blood biochemistry and bleeding time in patients with severe preeclampsia
SB Istanbul Goztepe Education and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 23:399-402. 2010
..The objective of this study was to observe the effects of magnesium sulfate on various blood biochemical parameters and coagulation status of patients with preeclampsia...
- The central role of selenium in the biochemistry and ecology of the harmful pelagophyte, Aureococcus anophagefferens
Christopher J Gobler
School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794 5000, USA
ISME J 7:1333-43. 2013
..anophagefferens through its synthesis of a large arsenal of Se-dependent oxidoreductases that fine-tune cellular redox homeostasis. ..
- The concept lens diagram: a new mechanism for presenting biochemistry content in terms of "big ideas"
Susan L Rowland
School of Chemistry and Molecular Biosciences, University of Queensland, St Lucia, Queensland 4072, Australia
Biochem Mol Biol Educ 39:267-79. 2011
..In biochemistry teaching, this radical shift from the content-based tradition is being driven by the "omics" information ..
- Recent advances in microfluidic technologies for biochemistry and molecular biologys
Institute for Chemical and Bioengineering, Department of Chemistry and Applied Biosciences, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
BMB Rep 44:705-12. 2011
..In this review, we highlight some of the recent advances in the application of microfluidics to biochemistry and molecular biology.
- Development and analysis of an instrument to assess student understanding of foundational concepts before biochemistry coursework
Sachel M Villafañe
Department of Chemistry, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida 33620, USA
Biochem Mol Biol Educ 39:102-9. 2011
b>Biochemistry is a challenging subject because student learning depends on the application of previously learned concepts from general chemistry and biology to new, biological contexts...
- Microbial degradation of furanic compounds: biochemistry, genetics, and impact
BIRD Engineering BV, Schiedam, The Netherlands
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 92:1095-105. 2011
- Impact of problem-based learning in a large classroom setting: student perception and problem-solving skills
Department of Biology, University of British Columbia Okanagan, Kelowna, Canada
Adv Physiol Educ 35:408-15. 2011
..as a supplement to standard didactic lectures in University of British Columbia Okanagan undergraduate biochemistry classes consisting of 45-85 students...
- Forensic biochemistry for functional investigation of death: concept and practical application
Department of Legal Medicine, Osaka City University Medical School, Abeno, Osaka, Japan
Leg Med (Tokyo) 13:55-67. 2011
..interference is inevitable and unpredictable in all forensic procedures; this is not particular to forensic biochemistry, but also occurs in morphology and toxicology...
- A review of hyperprolactinaemia and severe mental illness: are there implications for clinical biochemistry?
Chris J Bushe
Eli Lilly and Company Ltd, Basingstoke, UK
Ann Clin Biochem 47:292-300. 2010
..Physicians must balance the benefits and risks of treatment when determining appropriate therapy for individual patients...
- BirA enzyme: production and application in the study of membrane receptor-ligand interactions by site-specific biotinylation
C A O'Callaghan
Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Oxford, Oxford, OX3 9DS, United Kingdom
Anal Biochem 266:9-15. 1999
..These tetrameric proteins can be used to study protein receptor-ligand interactions at the cell surface, and site-specific biotinylation can be used to study proteins in vitro using a defined orientation...
- Engagement of students with lectures in biochemistry and pharmacology
Elizabeth Ann Davis
Department of Pharmacology, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Biochem Mol Biol Educ 40:300-9. 2012
..actual lecture attendance of students over two year levels enrolled in two separate science disciplines, biochemistry and pharmacology. The study further sought to determine the factors that influence lecture attendance...
- Physiology and emerging biochemistry of the glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor
Francis S Willard
Translational Science and Technologies, Lilly Research Laboratories, Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA
Exp Diabetes Res 2012:470851. 2012
- The structure, biochemistry, and metabolism of osteoarthritic cartilage: a review of the literature
L C Dijkgraaf
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital, Groningen, The Netherlands
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 53:1182-92. 1995
..temporomandibular joint (TMJ), the pathogenesis of TMJ osteoarthritis (OA) is discussed, based on knowledge of structure, biochemistry and metabolism of osteoarthritic cartilage in general, and a classification of TMJ OA is presented.
- Increased understanding of the biochemistry and biosynthesis of MUC2 and other gel-forming mucins through the recombinant expression of their protein domains
Department of Medical Biochemistry, University of Gothenburg, Goteborg, Sweden
Mol Biotechnol 54:250-6. 2013
..In order to study mucin biosynthesis and biochemistry, we and others have taken the alternative approach of constructing different recombinant proteins consisting of ..
- A participatory learning approach to biochemistry using student authored and evaluated multiple-choice questions
School of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, Curtin University, Western Australia
Biochem Mol Biol Educ 39:352-61. 2011
..traditional and a competitive assessment, was used to motivate students and promote a deep approach to learning biochemistry. Students were challenged to research, author, and explain their own multiple-choice questions (MCQs)...
- Editorial: vitamins and cofactors - chemistry, biochemistry and biology
Finian J Leeper
Nat Prod Rep 24:923-6. 2007
- A method for the rapid and efficient elution of native affinity-purified protein A tagged complexes
Laboratory of Cellular and Structural Biology, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021 6399, USA
J Proteome Res 4:2250-6. 2005
..We show that Bio-Ox elution is a robust method for the efficient and rapid recovery of native tagged proteins, and can be applied to a variety of structural genomics and proteomics studies...
- Impact of e-resources on learning in biochemistry: first-year medical students' perceptions
Department of Biochemistry, Christian Medical College, Vellore 632002, India
BMC Med Educ 12:21. 2012
..The Department of Biochemistry at Christian Medical College (CMC), Vellore, India, has made available e-resources to first-year medical ..
- Computational biochemistry: old enzymes, new tricks
Nature 453:164-6. 2008
- Salivary proline-rich proteins: biochemistry, molecular biology, and regulation of expression
D M Carlson
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California, Davis 95616
Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 4:495-502. 1993
..Salivary PRPs may constitute a defense mechanism against tannins and other polyhydroxylated phenols ingested. Putative transcriptional regulatory sequences have been identified in mouse PRP genes...
- Kinetic analysis of γ-glutamyltransferase reaction process for measuring activity via an integration strategy at low concentrations of γ-glutamyl p-nitroaniline
Zhi rong Li
Key Laboratory of Medical Laboratory Diagnostics of Ministry of Education, Chongqing Medical University, Chongqing 400016, China
J Zhejiang Univ Sci B 12:180-8. 2011
..0 U/L (n=5), and GGT activities in clinical sera responded linearly to their classical initial rates at 2.00 mmol/L GGPNA with an expected slope. Therefore, the integration strategy was successful in measuring GGT at 0.12 mmol/L GGPNA...
- Medical students' note-taking in a medical biochemistry course: an initial exploration
Elizabeth H Morrison
Department of Family Medicine, University of California, Irvine, CA 92868 3298, USA
Med Educ 36:384-6. 2002
..University students perform best on post-lecture testing if they review a combination of provided notes and their own personal notes, particularly if the provided notes follow a 'skeletal' format that encourages active note-taking...
- Serum biochemistry in Nigerians with hyperglycemic emergencies
Endocrinology Unit, Department of Medicine, Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital Zaria, Kaduna State 810001, Nigeria
Ethn Dis 18:26-30. 2008
..This biochemical aspect, which has not been examined in detail in Nigerians with hyperglycemic emergency was the focus of this study...
- The SODyssey: superoxide dismutases from biochemistry, through proteomics, to oxidative stress, aging and nutraceuticals
Department of Environmental Sciences, University of Tuscia, Largo dell Università snc, 01100 Viterbo, Italy
Expert Rev Proteomics 8:405-21. 2011
..This modern scientific 'Odyssey' has been accompanied by a series of successes in the fields of biochemistry, biomedicine and proteomics...
- From genes to whole organs: connecting biochemistry to physiology
University Laboratory of Physiology, University of Oxford, UK
Novartis Found Symp 239:111-23; discussion 123-8, 150-9. 2001
..Complexity in biological systems also arises from tissue and organ geometry. This is illustrated using modelling of the whole heart...
- Recent advances in Membrane Biochemistry
J Malcolm East
School of Biological Sciences, Life Sciences Building, University of Southampton, U K
Biochem Soc Trans 39:703-6. 2011
This Biochemical Society Annual Symposium on Recent Advances in Membrane Biochemistry was organized to bring together experts from across the spectrum of biomembrane disciplines from the biological to the biophysical/structural, with the ..
- Environmental biochemistry of chromium
M E Losi
Department of Soil and Environmental Sciences, University of California, Riverside 92521
Rev Environ Contam Toxicol 136:91-121. 1994
..This has been shown to occur directly, by enzymatic processes at the cell membrane, and indirectly, with microbially produced H2S acting as the reductant.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 400 WORDS)..
- Biochemistry and neurobiology of prosaposin: a potential therapeutic neuro-effector
Department of Geriatric and Neurology, Gifu University, School of Medicine, Gifu, Japan
Cent Nerv Syst Agents Med Chem 9:119-31. 2009
- Structure, biochemistry and biology of hepoxilins: an update
Eicosanoid and Lipid Research Division and Centre for Experimental Gynecology and Breast Research, Charité University Medical Centre Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
FEBS J 274:3503-12. 2007
..The present review gives an update on the biochemistry, biology and clinical aspects of hepoxilin-based drug development...
- Serum biochemistry and morbidity among runners presenting for medical care after an Australian mountain ultramarathon
Stephen A Reid
St Helens Private Hospital, Tasmania, Australia
Clin J Sport Med 17:307-10. 2007
..To determine if exercise-associated hyponatremia (EAH) was a cause of morbidity among runners requiring medical care at an Australian mountain ultramarathon...
- Origins and evolution of modern biochemistry: insights from genomes and molecular structure
Department of Crop Sciences, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Front Biosci 13:5212-40. 2008
..the genetic code, modules in the protein world, and diversification of life, and suggest early evolution of modern biochemistry was driven by recruitment of both RNA and protein catalysts in an ancient community of complex organisms.
- Biochemistry and physiology of mammalian secreted phospholipases A2
Institut de Pharmacologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Universite de Nice Sophia Antipolis, 06560 Valbonne, France
Annu Rev Biochem 77:495-520. 2008
- A theoretical model of type I collagen proteolysis by matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) 2 and membrane type 1 MMP in the presence of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase 2
Emmanouil D Karagiannis
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Biol Chem 279:39105-14. 2004
- Automatic policing of biochemical annotations using genomic correlations
Tzu Lin Hsiao
Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics and Department of Biomedical Informatics, Columbia University, Irving Cancer Research Center, New York, New York, USA
Nat Chem Biol 6:34-40. 2010
..The experimental analysis of the mispredicted genes forming the leucine degradation pathway in B. subtilis demonstrates that computational policing tools can generate important biological hypotheses...
- Biochemistry of the initial steps of mycothiol biosynthesis
Gerald L Newton
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
J Biol Chem 281:33910-20. 2006
..This demonstrates the presence of a myo-inositol transporter and a kinase that generates 1L-myo-inositol 1-phosphate. The biochemical pathway of mycothiol biosynthesis is now fully elucidated...
- In vivo biochemistry: quantifying ion and metabolite levels in individual cells or cultures of yeast
Carnegie Institution for Science, Department of Plant Biology, 260 Panama St, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Biochem J 438:1-10. 2011
..We discuss the opportunities and potential pitfalls and the controls that help preclude misinterpretation...
- The impact of biochemistry vs. population membership on floral scent profiles in colour polymorphic Hesperis matronalis
Cassie J Majetic
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Ann Bot 102:911-22. 2008
..attribute variation in floral scent to differences in pollinator behaviour, ignoring the potential for shared biochemistry between floral scent and floral colour to dictate patterns of phenotypic variation in scent production...
- Recent developments in the biochemistry of chromium(III)
John B Vincent
Department of Chemistry and Coalition for Biomolecular Products, The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487 0336, USA
Biol Trace Elem Res 99:1-16. 2004
..A discussion of these three events allows the current understanding of the nutritional biochemistry of Cr to be outlined.
- Interactions of unconjugated bilirubin with vesicles, cyclodextrins and micelles: new modeling and the role of high pKa values
School of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 53705 2222, USA
BMC Biochem 11:15. 2010
- Two DNA-binding and nick recognition modules in human DNA ligase III
Biological and Biomedical Sciences Program, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Biol Chem 283:10764-72. 2008
..We present a jackknife model for ligase III that posits conformational changes during nick sensing and ligation to extend the versatility of the enzyme...
- Metabolomics: Biochemistry's new look
Nature 455:697-700. 2008
- Principles of lysosomal membrane degradation: Cellular topology and biochemistry of lysosomal lipid degradation
LIMES Program Unit Membrane Biology and Lipid Biochemistry, Laboratory of Lipid Biochemistry, Kekulé Institut für Organische Chemie und Biochemie der Universität Bonn, Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1793:674-83. 2009
..A considerable part of our current knowledge about mechanism and biochemistry of lysosomal lipid degradation is derived from a class of human diseases, the sphingolipidoses, which are ..
- Origins of life and biochemistry under high-pressure conditions
Laboratoire de Sciences de la Terre, UMR 5570 CNRS UCB Lyon1 ENS Lyon, Bât Géode, 2 rue Raphael Dubois, F 69622 Villeurbanne Cedex, France
Chem Soc Rev 35:858-75. 2006
..After a short introduction to Earth history, the current tutorial review presents biological and physico-chemical arguments in support of high-pressure origin for life on Earth...
- Intrinsic protein disorder, amino acid composition, and histone terminal domains
Jeffrey C Hansen
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
J Biol Chem 281:1853-6. 2006
..We also discuss the potential structural consequences of acetylation and methylation of lysine residues embedded in intrinsically disordered histone tail domains...
- Philip Siekevitz: Bridging biochemistry and cell biology
David D Sabatini
J Cell Biol 189:3-5. 2010
..He was a man of great integrity, with a thoroughly engaging personality and a humility not often found in people of his talent...
- Genetics and biochemistry of primary congenital glaucoma
Molecular Ophthalmic Genetics Laboratory, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington 06030, USA
Ophthalmol Clin North Am 16:543-54, vi. 2003
..This article also discusses the molecular evidence for reduced penetrance in congenital glaucoma and the phenotypic heterogeneity of CYP1B1 mutations, mouse models of CYP1B1, and the biochemistry of CYP1B1.
- Biochemistry. Mimicking posttranslational modifications of proteins
Benjamin G Davis
Dyson Perrins Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3QY, UK
Science 303:480-2. 2004
- Small group discussion followed by presentation as a revision exercise at the end of a teaching module in biochemistry
Department of Biochemistry, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry 605006, India
Natl Med J India 17:36-8. 2004
..followed by faculty-moderated presentation as a revision exercise after completion of a teaching module in biochemistry. We assessed the understanding of graduate medical students on the topic and the gain in retention of ..
- A benchmark for methods in reverse engineering and model discrimination: problem formulation and solutions
Systems Biology Group, Max Planck Institut fur Dynamik komplexer technischer Systeme, 39106 Magdeburg, Germany
Genome Res 14:1773-85. 2004
..To verify calculated input profiles an interactive Web site (http://www.sysbio.de/projects/benchmark/) is provided. Several solutions based on linear and nonlinear models are discussed...
- Biochemistry and general genetics of nonribosomal peptide synthetases in fungi
Hans von Döhren
Technical University Berlin, Department of Chemistry, Research Group of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Franklinstrasse 29, 10587 Berlin, Germany
Adv Biochem Eng Biotechnol 88:217-64. 2004
..The biochemistry of the sequential polymerisation reactions is reviewed, including multienzyme organization, amino acid ..
- Biochemistry and biomechanics of cell motility
Department of Bioengineering and Center for Tissue Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Annu Rev Biomed Eng 7:105-50. 2005
- A challenge for 21st century molecular biology and biochemistry: what are the causes of obligate autotrophy and methanotrophy?
Ann P Wood
Department of Life Sciences, King s College London, Franklin Wills Building, 150 Stamford Street, London SE1 9NN, UK
FEMS Microbiol Rev 28:335-52. 2004
..This problem needs the technologies and mindsets of the present generation of molecular microbiologists to resolve it...
- Mechanical processes in biochemistry
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and the Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720 3206, USA
Annu Rev Biochem 73:705-48. 2004
..This review provides the conceptual framework to understand the role of mechanical force in biochemistry.
- Reverse engineering of biochemical equations from time-course data by means of genetic programming
Institute for Advanced Biosciences, Keio University, Tsuruoka, Yamagata, Japan
Biosystems 80:155-64. 2005
..The mean errors between given and simulation-predicted time-courses were 1.6 x 10(-5)% and 2.0 x 10(-3)%, respectively. Our equation prediction approach can be applied to identify metabolic reactions from observable time-courses...
- In singulo biochemistry: when less is more
Department of Physics and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Annu Rev Biochem 77:45-50. 2008
..We discuss here some of the advantages of single-molecule methods over their bulk counterparts and argue that these advantages should help establish them as essential tools in the technical arsenal of the modern biochemist...
- Biotechnology and biochemistry of marine natural products
Department of Biochemistry, University of Puerto Rico Medical Sciences Campus, PO Box 365067, San Juan, Puerto Rico
P R Health Sci J 28:251-7. 2009
- The biochemistry, measurement and current clinical significance of asymmetric dimethylarginine
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Royal Infirmary, 84 Castle Street, Glasgow G4 0SF, UK
Ann Clin Biochem 47:17-28. 2010
- Biochemistry. A postgenomic visual icon
John N Weinstein
Department of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Science 319:1772-3. 2008
- Mechanical biochemistry of proteins one molecule at a time
Andres F Oberhauser
Department of Neuroscience and Cell Biology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555, USA
J Biol Chem 283:6617-21. 2008
..Single-molecule mechanical techniques are providing fundamental information on the structure and function of proteins and are becoming an indispensable tool to understand how these molecules fold and work...
- Analysis of YfgL and YaeT interactions through bioinformatics, mutagenesis, and biochemistry
School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287 4501, USA
J Bacteriol 190:1507-17. 2008
..The five YfgL mutants defective in YaeT associations and the yfgL background were used to show that SurA binds to YaeT (or another complex member) without going through YfgL...
- Myxobacterial natural product assembly lines: fascinating examples of curious biochemistry
Silke Christine Wenzel
Universitat des Saarlandes, Postfach 15 11 50, Saarbrucken, 66041, Germany
Nat Prod Rep 24:1211-24. 2007
..Recent progress towards achieving a better understanding of the genetics and the biochemistry of myxobacterial secondary metabolism, revealed the involvement of numerous exceptional combinations of ..
- Evolving a lingua franca and associated software infrastructure for computational systems biology: the Systems Biology Markup Language (SBML) project
Control and Dynamical Systems, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena 91125, USA
Syst Biol (Stevenage) 1:41-53. 2004
..We also provide a brief overview of the many SBML-compatible software tools available today...
- Quantitative NMR analysis of the protein G B1 domain in Xenopus laevis egg extracts and intact oocytes
Department of Biological Chemistry, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:11904-9. 2006
..We also evaluate the experimental limitations of this method and discuss potential applications toward the in situ structural characterization of eukaryotic cellular activities...
- Relative quantification in proteomics: new approaches for biochemistry
Richard D Unwin
Stem Cell and Leukaemia Proteomics Laboratory, University of Manchester, Kinnaird House, Kinnaird Road, Withington, Manchester, M20 4QL, UK
Trends Biochem Sci 31:473-84. 2006
..In addition, novel flow-cytometry-based approaches are considered. These technologies can all be used to determine accurately the levels of proteins or biomarkers in a wide range of samples...
- Tools for kinetic modeling of biochemical networks
Departament Ciencies Mediques Basiques, Universidad de Lleida, Montserrat Roig, 4 25008 Lleida, Spain
Nat Biotechnol 24:667-72. 2006
..Virtual Cell is the most versatile program and provides the simplest and clearest functionality for setting up multicompartmentalization...
- Genetics and biochemistry of polyhydroxyalkanoate granule self-assembly: The key role of polyester synthases
Bernd H A Rehm
Institute of Molecular Biosciences, Massey University, Private Bag 11222, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Biotechnol Lett 28:207-13. 2006
..Biopolyesters and the respective micro-/nano-structures are currently considered as biocompatible and biodegradable biomaterials with numerous potential applications particularly in the medical field...
- Adding to the controversy: pitfalls in the diagnosis of testosterone deficiency syndromes with questionnaires and biochemistry
Centre for Applied Urological Research, Kingston General Hospital and Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Aging Male 10:57-65. 2007
..To determine the value of available questionnaires used for the diagnosis of testosterone deficiency syndromes (TDS) by correlating their ratings with a panel of hormonal determinations in a male population...
- Sialylation in protostomes: a perspective from Drosophila genetics and biochemistry
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843 2128, USA
Glycoconj J 26:313-24. 2009
..We arrive at the conclusion that Drosophila is emerging as a useful model organism that is poised to shed new light on the function of sialylation not only in protostomes, but also in a larger evolutionary context...