Genomes and Genes
Summary: The extent to which the active ingredient of a drug dosage form becomes available at the site of drug action or in a biological medium believed to reflect accessibility to a site of action.
Publications297 found, 100 shown here
- Dietary ascorbate intake affects steady state tissue concentrations in vitamin C-deficient mice: tissue deficiency after suboptimal intake and superior bioavailability from a food source (kiwifruit)Margreet C M Vissers
Free Radical Research Group, University of Otago, Christchurch, New Zealand
Am J Clin Nutr 93:292-301. 2011..How dietary intake affects tissue concentrations is difficult to monitor and has generally been based on the measurement of plasma concentrations...
- Molecular properties that influence the oral bioavailability of drug candidatesDaniel F Veber
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, GlaxoSmithKline, 709 Swedeland Road, P O Box 1539, King of Prussia, Pa 19406 0939, USA
J Med Chem 45:2615-23. 2002..A threshold permeation rate is a prerequisite of oral bioavailability. The rotatable bond count does not correlate with the data examined here for the in vivo clearance rate in the rat...
- Iron bioavailability and dietary reference valuesRichard Hurrell
Institute of Food, Nutrition and Health, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Switzerland
Am J Clin Nutr 91:1461S-1467S. 2010..It would therefore be timely to develop a range of iron bioavailability factors based not only on diet composition but also on subject characteristics, such as iron status and prevalence of obesity...
- Nutritional iron deficiencyMichael B Zimmermann
Laboratory for Human Nutrition, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Switzerland
Lancet 370:511-20. 2007..Selective plant breeding and genetic engineering are promising new approaches to improve dietary iron nutritional quality...
- Impaired nitric oxide bioavailability and L-arginine reversible endothelial dysfunction in adults with falciparum malariaTsin W Yeo
International Health Division, Menzies School of Health Research and Charles Darwin University, Darwin NT 0810, Australia
J Exp Med 204:2693-704. 2007..Clinical trials in SM of adjunctive agents to improve endothelial NO bioavailability, including l-arginine, are warranted...
- Human skeletal muscle ascorbate is highly responsive to changes in vitamin C intake and plasma concentrationsAnitra C Carr
Centre for Free Radical Research, Department of Pathology, University of Otago, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand
Am J Clin Nutr 97:800-7. 2013..Vitamin C may also protect these metabolically active cells from oxidative stress...
- The metabolism and disposition of the oral direct thrombin inhibitor, dabigatran, in humansStefan Blech
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharma GmbH and Co KG, Department of Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics, Biberach, Germany
Drug Metab Dispos 36:386-99. 2008..o. administration of dabigatran etexilate and that the potential for clinically relevant interactions between dabigatran and drugs metabolized by cytochrome P450 is low...
- A randomized steady-state bioavailability study of synthetic versus natural (kiwifruit-derived) vitamin CAnitra C Carr
Centre for Free Radical Research, Department of Pathology and Biomedical Science, University of Otago, Christchurch, PO Box 4345, Christchurch 8140, New Zealand
Nutrients 5:3684-95. 2013..Overall, our study showed comparable bioavailability of synthetic and kiwifruit-derived vitamin C. ..
- Enhanced bioavailability of sirolimus via preparation of solid dispersion nanoparticles using a supercritical antisolvent processMin Soo Kim
College of Pharmacy, Chungnam National University, Daejeon, Republic of Korea
Int J Nanomedicine 6:2997-3009. 2011..The aim of this study was to improve the physicochemical properties and bioavailability of poorly water-soluble sirolimus via preparation of a solid dispersion of nanoparticles using a supercritical antisolvent (SAS) process...
- Evaluation of extractants for estimation of the phytoavailable trace metals in soilsNeal W Menzies
School of Land and Food Sciences, The University of Queensland, St Lucia, QLD 4072, Australia
Environ Pollut 145:121-30. 2007..01 M CaCl(2) and 0.1 M NaNO(3)) provide the most useful indication of metal phytoavailability across a range of metals of interest, although further research is required...
- Antiepileptic drugs--best practice guidelines for therapeutic drug monitoring: a position paper by the subcommission on therapeutic drug monitoring, ILAE Commission on Therapeutic StrategiesPhilip N Patsalos
Institute of Neurology The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, London and The Chalfont Centre for Epilepsy, Chalfont St Peter, United Kingdom
Epilepsia 49:1239-76. 2008..g., in pregnancy, or when an interacting drug is added or removed); (6) to guide dose adjustments for AEDs with dose-dependent pharmacokinetics, particularly phenytoin...
- Polyphenols, dietary sources and bioavailabilityMassimo D'Archivio
Centro Nazionale per la Qualita degli Alimenti e per i Rischi Alimentari, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161 Rome, Italy
Ann Ist Super Sanita 43:348-61. 2007....
- Enhancing the bioavailability of resveratrol by combining it with piperineJeremy J Johnson
Department of Pharmacy Practice, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Mol Nutr Food Res 55:1169-76. 2011..In this study, we examined the hypothesis that piperine will enhance the pharmacokinetic parameters of resveratrol via inhibiting its glucuronidation, thereby slowing its elimination...
- Phospholipids and lipid-based formulations in oral drug deliveryGert Fricker
Phospholipid Research Center, Im Neuenheimer Feld 582, 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
Pharm Res 27:1469-86. 2010..Technological strategies to achieve these effects are highly diverse and offer various possibilities of liquid, semi-liquid and solid lipid-based formulations for drug delivery optimization...
- White beans provide more bioavailable iron than red beans: studies in poultry (Gallus gallus) and an in vitro digestion/Caco-2 modelElad Tako
Department of Food Science, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Int J Vitam Nutr Res 80:416-29. 2010..We conclude that the in vivo results support the in vitro observations; i. e., white beans contain more bioavailable iron than red beans...
- Self-emulsifying drug delivery systems: an approach to enhance oral bioavailabilityKanchan Kohli
Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi 62, India
Drug Discov Today 15:958-65. 2010....
- Acute inhibition of iron bioavailability by zinc: studies in humansManuel Olivares
Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology INTA, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
Biometals 25:657-64. 2012..The possibility of a negative interaction should be considered for supplementation or fortification programs with both microminerals...
- Development and optimization of baicalin-loaded solid lipid nanoparticles prepared by coacervation method using central composite designJifu Hao
Department of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, Shandong University, 44 Wenhua Xilu, Jinan 250012, PR China
Eur J Pharm Sci 47:497-505. 2012..The C(max), MRT, AUMC(0→∞) and AUC(0→∞) values of SLN were approximately 1.6-fold, 1.9-fold, 5.0-fold and 2.6-fold greater than that of reference preparation, respectively...
- Antidepressant drugs and breastfeeding: a review of the literatureRiccardo Davanzo
Division of Neonatology, Institute for Maternal and Child Health, IRCCS Burlo Garofolo, Trieste, Italy
Breastfeed Med 6:89-98. 2011....
- Enhanced oral bioavailability of cyclosporine A by liposomes containing a bile saltPeipei Guan
School of Pharmacy, Fudan University, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Int J Nanomedicine 6:965-74. 2011..3% and 98.6%, respectively, with Sandimmun Neoral as the reference. The enhanced bioavailability of CyA was probably due to facilitated absorption by the liposomes containing SDC rather than improved release rate...
- Effect of crystal size on the in vitro dissolution and oral absorption of nitrendipine in ratsDengning Xia
Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmaceutical Science, Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, No 103, Wenhua Road, Shenyang 110016, China
Pharm Res 27:1965-76. 2010..To investigate the effect of crystal size on the dissolution and oral absorption of nitrendipine, a poorly soluble drug, in rats...
- Genetic modification of low phytic acid 1-1 maize to enhance iron content and bioavailabilityManeesha R Aluru
Department of Genetics, Development and Cell Biology, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa 50011, United States
J Agric Food Chem 59:12954-62. 2011..Furthermore, preliminary tests show that the high-iron lpa1-1 seeds have higher germination rates and seedling vigor when compared to those of the nontransgenic seeds, which may help improve their value to plant breeders...
- Enhancement of curcumin oral absorption and pharmacokinetics of curcuminoids and curcumin metabolites in miceLiu Zhongfa
College of Pharmacy, The Ohio State University, Room 152, Riffe Building, 500 W 12th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 69:679-89. 2012..Here, we established a practical nano-emulsion curcumin (NEC) containing up to 20% curcumin (w/w) and conducted the pharmacokinetics of curcuminoids and curcumin metabolites in mice...
- Design and development of nanovehicle-based delivery systems for preventive or therapeutic supplementation with flavonoidsG Leonarduzzi
Department of Clinical and Biological Sciences, University of Turin at San Luigi Gonzaga Hospital, Regione Gonzole 10, Orbassano, Turin, Italy
Curr Med Chem 17:74-95. 2010....
- Process optimization, characterization and evaluation in vivo of oxymatrine-phospholipid complexPeng Fei Yue
Jiangxi University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Nanchang 330004, China
Int J Pharm 387:139-46. 2010..05), compared with those of oxymatrine or the physical mixture. This was mainly due to an improvement of the solubility of OMT-PLC...
- Enhanced bioavailability of the poorly water-soluble drug fenofibrate by using liposomes containing a bile saltYaping Chen
School of Pharmacy, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Int J Pharm 376:153-60. 2009..Importantly, SPC/SDC liposomes exhibited a 1.57-fold increase in bioavailability relative to SPC/CL liposomes, indicating that liposomes containing bile salts may be used to enhance oral bioavailability of poorly water-soluble drugs...
- Tolerability and pharmacokinetics of non-fixed and fixed combinations of artesunate and amodiaquine in Malaysian healthy normal volunteersVisweswaran Navaratnam
National Center for Drug Research CRD, Universiti Sains Malaysia USM, 11800 Minden, Pulau Pinang, Penang, Malaysia
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 65:809-21. 2009..This study examines the bioavailability and tolerability of a fixed (200 mg artesunate + 540 mg amodiaquine) and loose (200 mg + 612 mg) combination with a 2x2 cross-over design in 24 healthy volunteers...
- Formulation, characterization and pharmacokinetics of praziquantel-loaded hydrogenated castor oil solid lipid nanoparticlesShuYu Xie
Department of Preventive Veterinary Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, China Agricultural University, 2 Yuanmingyuan Road West, Beijing 100193, PR China
Nanomedicine (Lond) 5:693-701. 2010..The purpose of this study was to formulate praziquantel (PZQ)-loaded hydrogenated castor oil (HCO) solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN) to enhance the bioavailability and prolong the systemic circulation of the drug...
- The utility of cyclodextrins for enhancing oral bioavailabilityRebecca L Carrier
Department of Chemical Engineering, Northeastern University, 457 Snell Engineering Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Control Release 123:78-99. 2007....
- Approaches for the development of solid and semi-solid lipid-based formulationsV Jannin
Gattefossé SAS, 36 chemin de Genas, BP 603, F 69804 Saint Priest Cedex, France
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 60:734-46. 2008....
- Preabsorptive metabolism of sodium arsenate by anaerobic microbiota of mouse cecum forms a variety of methylated and thiolated arsenicalsTatyana S Pinyayev
Microbiological and Chemical Exposure Assessment Research Division, National Exposure Research Laboratory, Office of Research and Development, U S Environmental Protection Agency, Cincinnati, OH 45268, United States
Chem Res Toxicol 24:475-7. 2011..Metabolism of ingested arsenate to oxy- and thio-arsenicals before absorption across the gastrointestinal barrier could affect bioavailability, systemic distribution, and resulting toxicity...
- The impact of a meat- versus a vegetable-based diet on iron status in women of childbearing age with small iron storesInge Tetens
Dept of Human Nutrition, Faculty of Life Science, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur J Nutr 46:439-45. 2007..Single-meal and short-term studies have shown an enhancing effect of meat on iron absorption, but there are few interventions of longer duration comprising measurements of biomarkers of iron status...
- Bioavailability of apocynin through its conversion to glycoconjugate but not to diapocyninQun Wang
Department of Biochemistry, M743 Medical Sciences Building, University of Missouri, M743 Medical Sciences Building, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
Phytomedicine 15:496-503. 2008..No diapocynin was detected in any samples. These results indicate rapid glycosylation of apocynin and its transport to blood and other organs but no apparent conversion to diapocynin in vivo...
- Vitamin D-binding protein modifies the vitamin D-bone mineral density relationshipCamille E Powe
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Bone Miner Res 26:1609-16. 2011..These findings have important implications for vitamin D supplementation in vitamin D-deficient states. Future studies should continue to explore the relationship between free and bioavailable 25(OH)D and health outcomes...
- Enhanced oral bioavailability of puerarin using microemulsion vehicleHongfei Wu
Department of Pharmaceutics, Anhui University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Anhui Province Key Laboratory of R and D of Chinese Medicine, Hefei, P R China
Drug Dev Ind Pharm 35:138-44. 2009..Puerarin microemulsion also showed good stability. These studies showed that microemulsion system of puerarin might be promising vehicles for the peroral delivery of puerarin...
- Bioavailability of iron, zinc, and other trace minerals from vegetarian dietsJanet R Hunt
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, Grand Forks, ND 58202, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 78:633S-639S. 2003....
- Pharmacokinetics and enhanced oral bioavailability in beagle dogs of cyclosporine A encapsulated in glyceryl monooleate/poloxamer 407 cubic nanoparticlesJie Lai
School of Pharmacy, Fudan University, 826 Zhangheng Road, Shanghai, China
Int J Nanomedicine 5:13-23. 2010..The enhanced bioavailability of CyA is likely due to facilitated absorption by cubic nanoparticles rather than improved release...
- Enhanced bioavailability of silymarin by self-microemulsifying drug delivery systemWei Wu
School of Pharmacy, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 63:288-94. 2006..Alternative mechanisms, such as improved lymphatic transport pathway, other than improved release may contribute to enhancement of bioavailability of silymarin...
- An in vitro digestion/Caco-2 cell culture system accurately predicts the effects of ascorbic acid and polyphenolic compounds on iron bioavailability in humansShumei Yun
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Savage Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Nutr 134:2717-21. 2004..If future work reproduces the precision and accuracy shown in this paper for predicting iron bioavailability to humans, then the implications for saving time and resources in iron bioavailability measurements are considerable...
- Fortification of orange juice with vitamin D(2) or vitamin D(3) is as effective as an oral supplement in maintaining vitamin D status in adultsRachael M Biancuzzo
Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, MA, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 91:1621-6. 2010..Vitamin D has been added to calcium-fortified orange juice. It is unknown whether vitamin D is as bioavailable from orange juice as it is from supplements...
- Iron bioavailability from maize and beans: a comparison of human measurements with Caco-2 cell and algorithm predictionsJeannemarie M Beiseigel
US Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, Grand Forks, ND 58202 9034, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 86:388-96. 2007..An in vitro digestion and Caco-2 cell model may predict iron bioavailability to humans; however, direct comparisons are lacking...
- Predicting the impact of physiological and biochemical processes on oral drug bioavailabilityB Agoram
Simulations Plus, Inc. 1220 W. Avenue J, Lancaster, CA 93534-2902, USA
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 50:S41-67. 2001..time profiles for common drugs and compare those estimates to literature data. We illustrate the simulated impact of physiological and biochemical processes on oral drug bioavailability...
- Self-emulsifying drug delivery systems (SEDDS) of coenzyme Q10: formulation development and bioavailability assessmentT R Kommuru
School of Pharmacy, University of Louisiana at Monroe, 700 University Avenue, Monroe, LA 71209, USA
Int J Pharm 212:233-46. 2001..SEDDS have improved the bioavailability of CoQ10 significantly. The data suggest the potential use of SEDDS to provide an efficient way of improving oral absorption of lipophilic drugs...
- Lipid--an emerging platform for oral delivery of drugs with poor bioavailabilitySubhashis Chakraborty
Department of Pharmaceutics, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 73:1-15. 2009....
- Methylation of dietary flavones greatly improves their hepatic metabolic stability and intestinal absorptionThomas Walle
Department of Cell and Molecular Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Mol Pharm 4:826-32. 2007..Thus, methylation appears to be a simple and effective way of increasing both metabolic resistance and transport of the flavonoids and, most important, some of their major biological activities...
- Development and bioavailability assessment of ramipril nanoemulsion formulationSheikh Shafiq
Department of Pharmaceutics, Jamia Hamdard, Hamdard Nagar, India
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 66:227-43. 2007..49%. The present study revealed that ramipril nanoemulsion could be used as a liquid formulation for pediatric and geriatric patients and can be formulated as self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery system (SNEDDS) as a unit dosage form...
- Nonheme-iron absorption, fecal ferritin excretion, and blood indexes of iron status in women consuming controlled lactoovovegetarian diets for 8 wkJ R Hunt
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, ND 58202 9034, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 69:944-52. 1999..The characteristics of vegetarian diets suggest that these diets would have lower dietary iron bioavailability than nonvegetarian diets, but there is no evidence of iron deficiency in vegetarians...
- Consumption of flavonoid-rich foods and increased plasma antioxidant capacity in humans: cause, consequence, or epiphenomenon?Silvina B Lotito
Linus Pauling Institute, Oregon State University, 571 Weniger Hall, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 41:1727-46. 2006..We conclude that the large increase in plasma total antioxidant capacity observed after the consumption of flavonoid-rich foods is not caused by the flavonoids themselves, but is likely the consequence of increased uric acid levels...
- Enhanced bioavailability of lacidipine via microemulsion based transdermal gels: formulation optimization, ex vivo and in vivo characterizationRamesh Gannu
National Facilities in Engineering and Technology with Industrial Collaboration NAFETIC Centre, University College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kakatiya University, Warangal 506 009, Andhra Pradesh, India
Int J Pharm 388:231-41. 2010..Microemulsion based transdermal therapeutic system of LCDP was developed and optimized using Box-Behnken statistical design and could provide an effective treatment in the management of hypertension...
- Physicochemical properties and oral bioavailability of amorphous atorvastatin hemi-calcium using spray-drying and SAS processJeong Soo Kim
National Research Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Technology, College of Pharmacy, Chungnam National University, 220 Gung Dong, Yuseong Gu, Daejeon 305 764, Republic of Korea
Int J Pharm 359:211-9. 2008..Further, SAS process was a powerful methodology for improving the physicochemical properties and bioavailability of atorvastatin...
- Quercetin significantly decreased cyclosporin oral bioavailability in pigs and ratsSu Lan Hsiu
Department of Pharmacy, China Medical College, Taichung, 404 Taiwan, ROC
Life Sci 72:227-35. 2002..It is suggested that concurrent use of quercetin or quercetin-containing dietary supplement or herbs with cyclosporin or other medications whose absorption and metabolism are mediated by Pgp and/or CYP3A4 should require close monitoring...
- Enhanced oral bioavailability of a poorly water soluble drug PNU-91325 by supersaturatable formulationsPing Gao
Worldwide Pharmaceutical Sciences, Pfizer Inc, Kalamazoo, Michigan 49007, USA
Drug Dev Ind Pharm 30:221-9. 2004....
- Plasma kinetics and urinary excretion of the flavanones naringenin and hesperetin in humans after ingestion of orange juice and grapefruit juiceI Erlund
Department of Nutrition, National Public Health Institute KTL, Mannerheimintie 166 F, FIN 00300 Helsinki, Finland
J Nutr 131:235-41. 2001..We conclude that because of the relatively high concentrations of flavanones in plasma after ingestion of orange juice or grapefruit juice, considerable health effects could ensue in individuals consuming them regularly...
- Oral bioavailability of dihydroartemisinin in Vietnamese volunteers and in patients with falciparum malariaT Q Binh
Tropical Diseases Research Center, Cho Ray Hospital, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Br J Clin Pharmacol 51:541-6. 2001..Based on our mean AUC measurements, it appears that equal doses of DHA and ARTS (mg basis) should give equivalent systemic exposure to bioactive DHA in uncomplicated falciparum malaria...
- Docetaxel microemulsion for enhanced oral bioavailability: preparation and in vitro and in vivo evaluationYong Mei Yin
College of Pharmacy, Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, Shenyang 110016, China
J Control Release 140:86-94. 2009..These results encourage further development of docetaxel microemulsions as an oral drug delivery system...
- Pharmacokinetics of the citrus flavanone aglycones hesperetin and naringenin after single oral administration in human subjectsF I Kanaze
Department of Pharmacy, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Eur J Clin Nutr 61:472-7. 2007....
- Preparation and characterization of vinpocetine loaded nanostructured lipid carriers (NLC) for improved oral bioavailabilityChun Yang Zhuang
School of Pharmacy, Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, Shenyang 110016, PR China
Int J Pharm 394:179-85. 2010..In conclusion, the NLC formulation remarkably improved the oral bioavailability of VIN and demonstrated a promising perspective for oral delivery of poorly water-soluble drugs...
- Arsenicals affect base excision repair by several mechanismsFranziska Ebert
Institute of Food Chemistry, University of Munster, Corrensstrasse 45, 48149 Munster, Germany
Mutat Res 715:32-41. 2011....
- Enhanced oral paclitaxel bioavailability after administration of paclitaxel-loaded lipid nanocapsulesSandra Peltier
U646, Angers, F 49100 France, Universite d Angers, Angers, F 49035, Cedex1, France
Pharm Res 23:1243-50. 2006..The aim of this study was to evaluate the pharmacokinetics of paclitaxel-loaded lipid nanocapsules (LNC) in rats to assess the intrinsic effect of the dosage form on the improvement of paclitaxel oral exposure...
- Cell-free hemoglobin limits nitric oxide bioavailability in sickle-cell diseaseChristopher D Reiter
Critical Care Medicine Department of the Warren G Magnuson Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Nat Med 8:1383-9. 2002..Decompartmentalization of hemoglobin and subsequent dioxygenation of nitric oxide may explain the vascular complications shared by acute and chronic hemolytic disorders...
- Carotenoid bioavailability and bioconversionKyung Jin Yeum
Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Annu Rev Nutr 22:483-504. 2002....
- The ABCs of drug transport in intestine and liver: efflux proteins limiting drug absorption and bioavailabilityLauretta M S Chan
Laboratory of Pharmacology and Chemistry, Natinal Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Eur J Pharm Sci 21:25-51. 2004..This review addresses the progress to date on what is known about the role and regulation of drug efflux mechanisms in the intestine and liver...
- Solid lipid nanoparticles for enhancing vinpocetine's oral bioavailabilityYifan Luo
School of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmaceutics, Mailbox 42, Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, 103 Wenhua Road, Shenyang, 110016 Liaoning, P R China
J Control Release 114:53-9. 2006..These results indicated that VIN absorption is enhanced significantly by employing SLN formulations. SLNs offer a new approach to improve the oral bioavailability of poorly soluble drugs...
- Enhanced bioavailability of tamoxifen after oral administration of tamoxifen with quercetin in ratsSang Chul Shin
College of Pharmacy, Chonnam National University, Bukgu, Gwangju 500 757, Republic of Korea
Int J Pharm 313:144-9. 2006..If the results are further confirmed in the clinical trials, the tamoxifen dosage should be adjusted when tamoxifen is administered with quercetin or quercetin-containing dietary supplements in order to avoid potential drug interactions...
- Effects of a high-fat meal on the relative oral bioavailability of piperaquineIng Kye Sim
Medicine Unit Fremantle, M510, School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia, Crawley 6009, Australia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:2407-11. 2005..020). The side effects, postural blood pressure changes, electrocardiographic corrected QT interval, serum glucose, and other biochemical and hematological indices were similar in the fasting and fed states over 28 days of follow-up...
- Recovery of endothelial function in severe falciparum malaria: relationship with improvement in plasma L-arginine and blood lactate concentrationsTsin W Yeo
International Health Division, Menzies School of Health Research and Charles Darwin University, Darwin, Australia
J Infect Dis 198:602-8. 2008..L-Arginine infusion improves endothelial function in moderately severe malaria. Neither the longitudinal course of endothelial dysfunction nor factors associated with recovery have been characterized in severe malaria...
- Pharmacokinetics and bioavailability of ginsenoside Rb1 and Rg1 from Panax notoginseng in ratsQing Fang Xu
Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy, Fudan University, 138 Yixueyuan Road, Shanghai 200032, People s Republic of China
J Ethnopharmacol 84:187-92. 2003..Rg(1) could be absorbed in the digestive tract and the oral bioavailability was 18.40%. Both of the low oral bioavailability of Rb(1) and rapid reduction of Rg(1) in blood indicated that formula modification is necessary...
- Top-down production of drug nanocrystals: nanosuspension stabilization, miniaturization and transformation into solid productsBernard Van Eerdenbrugh
Laboratory for Pharmacotechnology and Biopharmacy, K U Leuven, Gasthuisberg O and N2, Herestraat 49, box 921, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Int J Pharm 364:64-75. 2008..Finally, literature available on further nanosuspensions solidification is discussed, focussing on the maintenance of the preservation of the rapid dissolution properties of the nanocrystals after further downstream processing...
- Marine lipid-based liposomes increase in vivo FA bioavailabilityMaud Cansell
Institut des Sciences et Techniques des Aliments de Bordeaux, Nutrition et Signalisation Cellulaire, F 33405 Talence Cedex, France
Lipids 38:551-9. 2003..As a whole, this study pointed out that marine PL may constitute an attractive material for the development of liposomes as oral PUFA supplements...
- Microemulsions: a novel approach to enhanced drug deliverySushama Talegaonkar
Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi 110062, India
Recent Pat Drug Deliv Formul 2:238-57. 2008..also reflects the tremendous potential of these newer drug therapeutic systems. A critical evaluation of recent patents claiming different approaches to improve the drug delivery is the focus of the current review...
- PTC124 targets genetic disorders caused by nonsense mutationsEllen M Welch
PTC Therapeutics, 100 Corporate Court, South Plainfield, New Jersey 07080, USA
Nature 447:87-91. 2007....
- Pharmaceutical development and preliminary clinical testing of an oral solid dispersion formulation of docetaxel (ModraDoc001)J J Moes
Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute Slotervaart Hospital, Louwesweg 6, 1066 EC Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Pharm 420:244-50. 2011..790 ± 669 ngh/mL). The low inter-individual variability of docetaxel exposure (44%), the dosing accuracy, and the absence of ethanol and polysorbate are major advantages of ModraDoc001 15 mg capsules over docetaxel premix solution...
- Predicting drug disposition, absorption/elimination/transporter interplay and the role of food on drug absorptionJoseph M Custodio
Department of Biopharmaceutical Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0446, USA
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 60:717-33. 2008..That is, high fat meals and lipidic excipients would be expected to have little effect on F for Class 1 drugs; they would increase F of Class 2 drugs, while decreasing F for Class 3 drugs...
- Solid self-nanoemulsifying cyclosporine A pellets prepared by fluid-bed coating: stability and bioavailability studyYang Lei
School of Pharmacy, Fudan University, Key Laboratory of Smart Drug Delivery, Ministry of Education and PLA, Shanghai 201203, P R China
J Biomed Nanotechnol 8:515-21. 2012..The in vivo performance of the solid SNEDDS pellets can be further improved. The fluid-bed coating technique has considerable potential for use in the preparation of SNEDDS pellets...
- Micronutrient bioavailability: Dietary Reference Intakes and a future perspectiveK Michael Hambidge
Department of Pediatrics, Section of Nutrition, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 91:1430S-1432S. 2010..These factors, it is argued, are best considered separately from even a broad definition of bioavailability and have the potential to provide new insights into some micronutrient requirements...
- Pulmonary disposition of tedizolid following administration of once-daily oral 200-milligram tedizolid phosphate in healthy adult volunteersSeth T Housman
Center for Anti Infective Research and Development, Hartford Hospital, Hartford, Connecticut, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:2627-34. 2012..0. The mean ELF penetration ratio after population analyses was 39.7. This study demonstrates that tedizolid penetrates into ELF and AM to levels approximately 40-fold and 20-fold, respectively, higher than free-drug exposures in plasma...
- QSAR, docking and ADMET studies of artemisinin derivatives for antimalarial activity targeting plasmepsin II, a hemoglobin-degrading enzyme from P. falciparumTabish Qidwai
Metabolic and Structural Biology Department, CSIR Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants, Lucknow, UP, India
Curr Pharm Des 18:6133-54. 2012..The experimental results obtained agreed well with the predicted values...
- Studies on the effects of oral administration of nutrient mixture, quercetin and red onions on the bioavailability of epigallocatechin gallate from green tea extractAnup Kale
University Department of Biochemistry, R T M University, Nagpur, M S 440033, India
Phytother Res 24:S48-55. 2010..5 +/- 566.5 ng x h/mL (E) and 2490 +/- 878.1 (E + Q), but the change in t((1/2)) elimination was not significant.In conclusion, it is possible to increase the bioavailability of EGCG by supplementing it with nutrients and quercetin...
- Preparation and evaluation of bicyclol microemulsions for enhanced oral bioavailabilityJae Kuk Ryu
Pharm R and D Institute, Hanmi Pharm Co, Ltd, Hwasung 445 913, Republic of Korea
Drug Dev Ind Pharm 38:1313-8. 2012..To date, formulation development studies to improve the in vitro dissolution profiles of bicyclol and the in vivo oral absorption characteristics have not been performed...
- Transdermal delivery of paeonol using cubic gel and microemulsion gelMaofu Luo
School of Pharmacy, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, People s Republicof China
Int J Nanomedicine 6:1603-10. 2011..The aim of this study was to develop new systems for transdermal delivery of paeonol, in particular microemulsion gel and cubic gel formulations...
- Provitamin a carotenoid bioavailability:what really matters?Sherry A Tanumihardjo
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Wisconsin Madison, WI 53706, USA
Int J Vitam Nutr Res 80:336-50. 2010..Close linkages between agriculture, nutrition, and health, are essential in the quest to eradicate hunger among the poor...
- Absorption of folic acid and ascorbic acid from nutrient comparable beveragesBrett Carter
Nutritional Sciences Program, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, Univ of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Food Sci 75:H289-93. 2010..This study showed that similar levels of AA and FA bioavailability can be attained through ingestion of 100% OJ and a fortified beverage...
- Enhanced effect and mechanism of water-in-oil microemulsion as an oral delivery system of hydroxysafflor yellow AJianping Qi
School of Pharmacy, China Pharmaceutical University, Nanjing, People s Republic of China
Int J Nanomedicine 6:985-91. 2011..In this paper, a water-in-oil (w/o) microemulsion was investigated as a system for enhancing the oral bioavailability of Biopharmaceutic Classification System (BCS) III drugs...
- Oral bioavailability of moxifloxacin after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgeryJulie De Smet
Laboratory of Medical Biochemistry and Clinical Analysis, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Ghent University, Harelbekestraat 72, B 9000 Gent, Belgium
J Antimicrob Chemother 67:226-9. 2012..This study aims to investigate the oral bioavailability of moxifloxacin in 12 healthy volunteers who underwent gastric bypass surgery...
- Black pepper and its pungent principle-piperine: a review of diverse physiological effectsK Srinivasan
Department of Biochemistry and Nutrition, Central Food Technological Research Institute, Mysore, India
Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 47:735-48. 2007..Piperine, while it is non-genotoxic, has in fact been found to possess anti-mutagenic and anti-tumor influences...
- A lipid-based liquid crystalline matrix that provides sustained release and enhanced oral bioavailability for a model poorly water soluble drug in ratsBen J Boyd
Department of Pharmaceutics, Victorian College of Pharmacy, Monash University, 381 Royal Pde, Parkville, VIC 3052, Australia
Int J Pharm 340:52-60. 2007..The results indicate that lipids that form liquid crystalline structures in excess water, may have application as an oral sustained release delivery system, providing they are not digested rapidly on administration...
- Effects of quercetin on the pharmacokinetics of Etoposide after oral or intravenous administration of etoposide in ratsXiuguo Li
Yanbian University, Jilin, China
Anticancer Res 29:1411-5. 2009..The dosage regimen of etoposide in cancer therapy should take drug interaction into consideration when etoposide is administered with quercetin or dietary supplements containing quercetin...
- Population pharmacokinetics of artesunate and amodiaquine in African childrenKasia Stepniewska
Mahidol Oxford Tropical Medicine Research Unit, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, 420 6 Rajvithi Road, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
Malar J 8:200. 2009..The aim of this study was to evaluate the PK properties of a newly developed and registered fixed dose combination (FDC) of artesunate and amodiaquine...
- Toxicity of trace metals in soil as affected by soil type and aging after contamination: using calibrated bioavailability models to set ecological soil standardsErik Smolders
Division Soil and Water Management, University of Leuven, Kasteelpark Arenberg 20, 3001 Leuven, Belgium
Environ Toxicol Chem 28:1633-42. 2009..The corrections for aging and for modifying effects of soil properties in metal-salt-amended soils are shown to be the main factors by which PNEC values rise above the natural background range...
- Supersaturating drug delivery systems: the answer to solubility-limited oral bioavailability?Joachim Brouwers
Laboratory for Pharmacotechnology and Biopharmacy, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Gasthuisberg O N 2 Herestraat 49, box 921, BE 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Pharm Sci 98:2549-72. 2009....
- In vitro and in vivo evaluation of ordered mesoporous silica as a novel adsorbent in liquisolid formulationBao Chen
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, People s Republic of China
Int J Nanomedicine 7:199-209. 2012..With the aim of improving adsorption capacity and accordingly achieving high drug loading, ordered mesoporous silica with a high surface area and narrow pore size distribution was synthesized and used in a liquisolid formulation...
- Self-assembled liquid crystalline nanoparticles as a novel ophthalmic delivery system for dexamethasone: Improving preocular retention and ocular bioavailabilityLi Gan
Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 555 Zuchongzhi Road, Shanghai 201203, China
Int J Pharm 396:179-87. 2010..In conclusion, self-assembled liquid crystalline nanoparticles might represent a promising vehicle for effective ocular drug delivery...
- Diverse approaches for the enhancement of oral drug bioavailabilityPius Fasinu
Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, University of the Witwatersrand, 7 York Road, Parktown 2193, Johannesburg, South Africa
Biopharm Drug Dispos 32:185-209. 2011....
- Supersaturating drug delivery systems: fast is not necessarily good enoughPatrick Augustijns
Laboratory for Pharmacotechnology and Biopharmacy, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, BE 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Pharm Sci 101:7-9. 2012..The nature of the dissolution assay (sink versus nonsink, apparatus type, and rate and extent of supersaturation) can impact the ability to efficiently use the dissolution data in the configuration of these enabling formulations...
- Design of fenofibrate microemulsion for improved bioavailabilityLianDong Hu
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Hebei University, Baoding 071002, China
Int J Pharm 420:251-5. 2011..63 and 1.30-fold higher than that of the capsule. Our results indicated that the microemulsions could be used as an effective formulation for enhancing the oral bioavailability of fenofibrate...
- Enhanced oral bioavailability of daidzein by self-microemulsifying drug delivery systemQi Shen
School of Pharmacy, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Dongchuan Road 800, Shanghai 200240, China
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 58:639-43. 2010..Relative bioavailability of SMEDDS was enhanced about 2.5-fold compared with that of the control group. The data suggest that the use of SMEDDS provide a potential way of daidzein administered orally...
- Single-dose pharmacokinetics of fentanyl buccal soluble filmNiraj Vasisht
BioDelivery Sciences International, Inc, Raleigh, North Carolina 27607, USA
Pain Med 11:1017-23. 2010....
- Effects of quercetin on the bioavailability of doxorubicin in rats: role of CYP3A4 and P-gp inhibition by quercetinJun Shik Choi
College of Pharmacy, Chosun University, Gwangju, 501 759, Korea
Arch Pharm Res 34:607-13. 2011..Therefore, concurrent use of quercetin provides a therapeutic benefit - it increases the bioavailability of doxorubicin administered orally...
- An inter-laboratory trial of the unified BARGE bioaccessibility method for arsenic, cadmium and lead in soilJoanna Wragg
British Geological Survey, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Sci Total Environ 409:4016-30. 2011..However, the study recommends tighter control of pH in the stomach phase extraction to improve between-laboratory variability, more reproducible in vivo validation data and that a follow up inter-laboratory trial should be carried out...
- Increased oral bioavailability of paclitaxel by its encapsulation through complex formation with cyclodextrins in poly(anhydride) nanoparticlesM Agüeros
Department of Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Technology, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
J Control Release 145:2-8. 2010....
- Impact of P-glycoprotein on clopidogrel absorptionDirk Taubert
Institut fur Pharmakologie, Klinikum I für Innere Medizin, Cologne, and Deutsches Herzzentrum, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Clin Pharmacol Ther 80:486-501. 2006..We tested the hypothesis that the intestinal efflux transporter P-glycoprotein (P-gp) limits the oral bioavailability of clopidogrel and that variance in the MDR1 gene encoding P-gp predicts absorption variability...
- Albumin-Encapsulated Rare Earth Nanoprobes for Multifunctional Tissue ImagingCharles M Roth; Fiscal Year: 2013..nanoparticles encapsulated in functionalized albumin nanoshells to establish nanoprobes with high biological availability in vivo, improved biocompatibility, and functional targeting to disease targets...
- PAH/Metal exposure and effects assessment in ChattanoogaSean Richards; Fiscal Year: 2004..2) Measure the biological availability of PAHs and metals by quantifying these toxicants in tissues of small mammals...
- Pilot-Scale Libraries Based on Nucleoside Templates for the ML InitiativeRobert C Reynolds; Fiscal Year: 2010..By definition, natural products are inherently biased towards biological availability and activity, and libraries derived there from possess unique three-dimensional structural features and ..
- Aluminum bioavailability from foodsRobert Yokel; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- A device containing immobilized chelator to remove aluminum from TPN solutionsRobert Yokel; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Chemoprevention of colon cancer via neonatal imprintingAramandla Ramesh; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Effect of digestion on the cancer chemopreventative activity of tea catechinsMario Ferruzzi; Fiscal Year: 2007..Discovery of tea compounds which hold ultimate biological significance will enable future experimental strategies for specific tea catechin forms that positively affect cancer risk and outcomes. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Dietary fat modulated metabolic fate of fluorantheneAramandla Ramesh; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Evaluating Trichophyton tonsurans Carriage and InfectionSusan Abdel Rahman; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Transporter-Enzyme Interplay Evaluation via Microfluidiic HTS Cell Culture DeviceLeslie Benet; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- 24,25-DIHYDROXYVITAMIN D: MARKER OF SALT SENSITIVITYConnie Weaver; Fiscal Year: 2001..Furthermore, they should provide an explanation for the paradox that blacks can build higher bone density, have a lower rate of bone turnover, and excrete less urinary calcium on the same sodium loads compared to whites. ..
- CALCIUM METABOLISM IN ASIAN GIRLS AND POSTMENOPAUSAL WOMENConnie Weaver; Fiscal Year: 2006..Optimizing calcium retention during periods of rapid growth is a key nutritional strategy to build peak bone mass and reduce lifelong risk of osteoporosis. ..
- FUNGAL PROTEIN/GLYCOPROTEIN EXPRESSION IN TINEA CAPITISSusan Abdel Rahman; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- ANESTHETIC RENAL METABOLISM--MECHANISMS AND CONSEQUENCESEvan Kharasch; Fiscal Year: 2002..More broadly, resulting biochemical and clinical insights will be applicable to the numerous other nephrotoxic haloalkenes that are ubiquitous environmental contaminants. ..
- ANTIRETROVIRAL THERAPIES AND SUBSTANCE ABUSEDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2002..The in vitro model, if validated, has the potential to provide clinically important information on interactions involving HIV treatments and abusable drugs, at relatively low cost and with no human drug exposure. ..
- ACYLCOA FORMATION--COVALENT BINDING, PHARMACOKINETICSLeslie Benet; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Novel noninvasive assessment of cytochrome P450 activityEvan Kharasch; Fiscal Year: 2009..This approach may identify inter-individual variability in drug disposition and response;permit more individualized dosing, and reduces the cost of drug interaction studies. ..
- Zn & Maternal-Infant Brain Function in S. Ethiopia: Randomized Controlled TrialsK Hambidge; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Pharmacotherapy for Minor DepressionRobert Howland; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of this study will have profound public health implications by improving our understanding of the efficacy of SJW and standard antidepressants for the treatment of MinorD. ..
- Targeting Akt/NF-kappa beta for Pancreatic Cancer TherapyFazlul Sarkar; Fiscal Year: 2007..These results will provide mechanistic as well as pre-clinical data in support of our hypotheses and may open new and novel avenues for the treatment of human pancreatic cancer. ..
- Gut to Brain Pathways for Infection-Induced AnxietyMark Lyte; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- P450 PHENOTYPE AND CHEMOTHERAPY TOXICITY IN THE ELDERLYELIZABETH DEES; Fiscal Year: 2006..They have assembled a carefully selected group of collaborators and advisors to assist in the research projects and Dr. Dees's career development. ..
- Molecular Targeting of 15-Lipoxygenase-1 in Colon CancerImad Shureiqi; Fiscal Year: 2007..the feasibility of tumor selective targeting of 15-LOX-1 to inhibit tumorigenesis will pave the way for future preclinical and clinical development of therapeutic strategies based on molecularly targeting 15-LOX-1 ..
- Phase I Radiosensitization Study of GW572016 in Recurrent Breast CancerELIZABETH DEES; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposal pilots a novel combination therapy to treat this common and challenging clinical problem. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Development of 13C-retinol isotope dilution techniquesSherry Tanumihardjo; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Green Tea in Chemoprevention of Prostate CancerHasan Mukhtar; Fiscal Year: 2008..This proposal may be extremely valuable pre-clinical approach against PCA in humans. ..
- Ferritin: Protein/mRNA/DNA in Fe/O Regulation/MetabolismELIZABETH C contact THEIL; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Optimizing Pain Treatment in the Preterm InfantJohn van den Anker; Fiscal Year: 2008..The long-term goal of the proposed investigation is to improve the use of morphine in critically ill premature neonates. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- IRON SUPPLEMENTS AND ZINC IN PREGNANCY AND LACTATIONJanet King; Fiscal Year: 2001..Results from this comprehensive, longitudinal study will provide new data on the effects of iron supplementation on zinc utilization during pregnancy and lactation. ..
- Mitchondria-Nuclear Crosstalk in Hypoxic Gene InductionROBERT POYTON; Fiscal Year: 2009..g., anemia, myocardial infarction, retinopathy, and the growth of tumors). An understanding of hypoxic signaling pathways may lead to new therapies for these diseases and may help with our understanding of human aging. ..
- Natural History of Prostatism: The Olmsted County StudyJENNIFER LYNN ST SAUVER; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Roles of polymorphic COMT, tea polyphenols and proteasome in cancer preventionQING PING DOU; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Mixed Models for Finite PopulationsEdward Stanek; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Prevention of skin cancer by green tea polyphenolsSantosh Katiyar; Fiscal Year: 2009..Importantly, worldwide interest in green tea as a cancer chemopreventive agent for humans is increasing because it is non-toxic, affordable, popular beverage and is effective in a wide range of organs. ..
- Phase I study of 5-aza-2?-deoxycitidine in acute lymphocytic leukemiaGuillermo Garcia Manero; Fiscal Year: 2008..In this proposal, we plan to develop a new form of low-dose chemotherapy, decitabine, for these patients. Early results indicate that this is active and safe. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Substrate requirements of the bile acid transporterJAMES POLLI; Fiscal Year: 2009..This systematic and progressive approach will serve as a prototypical method to elucidate the substrate requirements of other solute carrier (SLC) proteins. ..
- Aromatic amino acid metabolism in the pathogenesis of kwashiorkorFarook Jahoor; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CELLULAR AND MOLECULAR BASIS OF HIV BASED THROMBOCYTOPENMariusz Ratajczak; Fiscal Year: 2002..In toto, the studies proposed in this grant will increase the knowledge about pathogenesis of AIDS associated thrombocytopenia and may lead to development of new strategies for its treatment of prevention. (End of Abstract) ..
- IRON & OXYGEN BIOLOGY IN SCD, HH & BETA-THAL MICEElizabeth Theil; Fiscal Year: 2002..The resulting information will be used to help probe the efficiency of presently available and experimental chelators, not only in promoting iron excretion but also in the prevention of defined types of cellular damage. ..
- Workshop on BioIron in Thalassemia, Sickle Cell Disease and HemochromatosisElizabeth Theil; Fiscal Year: 2004..Fuller understanding of iron homeostasis in Thalassemia, Sickle Cell Disease and Hemochromatosis and improved disease management strategies can be expected. ..
- Workshop on Biolron in Thalassemia & Sickle Cell DiseaseElizabeth Theil; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- MOLECULAR REGULATION OF THE HUMAN BRCA 1 GENEDONATO ROMAGNOLO; Fiscal Year: 2003..Specific aim #3 will examine the function of BRCA-1 in cell cycle regulation at different levels of genotoxic damage induced by PAHs. ..
- Prevention of UV-carcinogenesis by antioxidantSantosh Katiyar; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- OXYGEN SENSING AND REGULATION OF YEAST GENESROBERT POYTON; Fiscal Year: 2002..some other redox-sensitive oxygen binding protein involved in OCD gene expression? Aim 3: Does oxygen affect transcript turnover rate? Aim 4: What cis promoter sites mediate the OCD expression of COX6, COX5a, and CYC1? ..
- Oleandrin: A Novel Skin Cancer Chemopreventive AgentHasan Mukhtar; Fiscal Year: 2003..Successful completion of this proposal will lay the foundation for an extended program to develop oleandrin as future promising cancer chemopreventive and/or therapeutic agent in humans. ..
- A sensitive triple quadrupole mass spectrometerStephen Barnes; Fiscal Year: 2004..It is anticipated that a commercial nanospray interface for use in nanoLC-MS analysis will be available by the fall of 2003. ..
- LINOLEIC ACID METABOLISM AND COLON CARCINOGENESISImad Shureiqi; Fiscal Year: 2005..This work will set the stage for future animals and clinical studies of LA alternative pathway modulation as means of colon cancer chemoprevention. ..
- TWO X-LINKED GENES THAT REGULATE MINERAL HOMEOSTASISMichael Whyte; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Validation of rat models for resistant epilepsy therapyWolfgang Loscher; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our goal is to establish standard assays that can be employed by researchers to continue the search for treatments of drug resistant epilepsy. ..
- FLAVONOID BIOAVAILABILITY IN HUMANS-CELLULAR STUDIESThomas Walle; Fiscal Year: 2005..The findings from the proposed studies should help us understand the bioavailability of the flavonoids, facilitating optimization of the chemopreventive utility of these natural or synthetic compounds. ..
- Cell Cycle Controlling Genes in Adult Acute LymphomaGuillermo Garcia Manero; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- NEUROENDOCRINE MEDIATION OF E. COLI 0157:H7 INFECTIONMark Lyte; Fiscal Year: 2003..The demonstration of direct neuroendocrine-bacterial interaction as a mechanism in the pathogenesis of E. coli O157:H7 infection may yield new treatments for both the prevention and treatment of hemorrhagic colitis. ..
- Prevention of Photocarcinogenesis by antioxidantSantosh Katiyar; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- 9.4 Tesla Fourier Transform Mass SpectrometerStephen Barnes; Fiscal Year: 2002..Overall, the FT-MS instrument will sustain the high quality of biomedical research that is a hallmark of UAB. ..
- Apoptotic Mechanisms of Tocotrienols in Mammary CancerPaul Sylvester; Fiscal Year: 2004..Although caspase-8 activation is associated with death receptor signaling, the exact receptor/ligand signaling mechanism(s) mediating tocotrienol-induced caspase-8 activation has not been determined. ..
- Proanthocyanidins: Novel Skin Cancer Preventive AgentSantosh Katiyar; Fiscal Year: 2006..Prevention of skin cancer risk will result to protect and prolong the human health and lives. ..
- Center for Nutrient-Gene Interaction in Cancer Preventi*Stephen Barnes; Fiscal Year: 2008..In addition to the main projects, the Center will organize a competitive Pilot Project/Developmental program for the evaluation of new ideas and methods pertinent to the overall development of the Center. ..
- Electroporation and transcutaneous extraction of drugsSATHYANARAYANA MURTHY; Fiscal Year: 2006..Further we also plan to correlate the time course of unbound ciprofloxacin in dermal ECF with that in synovial fluid determined by microdialysis in rat. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Inflammatory Biomarkers and Colorectal Cancer RiskGong Yang; Fiscal Year: 2010..Overall, this study will contribute significantly to the understanding of the role of inflammation in the etiology of CRC and to the development of new strategies for the assessment of CRC risk. ..
- DIET GLYCEMIC LOAD & METABOLISM IN OBESE PREGNANT WOMENJanet King; Fiscal Year: 2009..In addition, new information on how the source of maternal carbohydrate intake affects carbohydrate and lipid metabolism in pregnancy will be generated. ..
- Nitogen reduction and xenobiotic responseLauren A Trepanier; Fiscal Year: 2010..The ultimate goal of these studies is to find better ways to prevent these adverse reactions. ..
- MECHANISMS OF SKELETAL RECONSTITUTION AFTER LACTATIONScott Miller; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- AMPHIPATHIC ORAL CHELATORS AND RADIONUCLIDE CONTAMINATIONScott Miller; Fiscal Year: 2008..Because the pharmacology and toxicology of PACA chelators, such as DTPA and EDTA, are quite well understood, the development pathway of the related TT- based chelators may proceed rapidly. ..
- TESTOSTERONE FOR PREVENTION OF FRACTURE IN MENAnne Kenny; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Metabolic Consequences of HAART: CYP3A and P-gpDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2003..This multidisciplinary proposal provides a clinical and scientific basis to assess the effects of currently available as well as experimental HAART medications on human CYP3A and P-gp. ..
- High-Throughput Assay for the Intestinal Peptide TransporterPeter Swaan; Fiscal Year: 2005..This will aid in our understanding of the structural features that govern peptide and drug transport via this system and will significantly support studies aiming to target this transporter. ..
- HAART Regimens in Substance AbusersDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- MDR1 and Related Proteins during HIV PI ExposureDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2005..The findings will be of importance in understanding lipid disorders related to PIs as well as the kinetics of drugs used to treat HIV and related disorders. ..
- Porous Silicon Particles for Oral Drug DeliveryPeter Swaan; Fiscal Year: 2007..This may allow for the delivery of multiple therapeutic macromolecules in a more controlled and targeted manner to the GI tract. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CYP3A Function in Aging AfricanAmericansDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2006..This study should provide important mechanistic information on the role of age, gender, and ethnicity as sources of variability in CYP3A-mediated drug metabolism and response. ..
- CHRONIC BENZODIAZEPINES: BEHAVIOR AND NEUROCHEMISTRYDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Isothiocyanates in the Chemoprevention of Bladder CancerYuesheng Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2007..Aim 5 will determine the efficacy of an orally administered ITC in inhibiting N-butyl-N- (4-hydroxybutyl)-nitrosamine-induced bladder tumorigenesis in F344 rats. ..
- Epithelial Transport and Function of RiboflavinPeter Swaan; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies will yield new and important information regarding a complex epithelial transport mechanism and provide important new insights in its structural specificity and function. ..
- Chemopreventive Actions of Equol EnantiomersKenneth Setchell; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies are relevant to humans given the ammended health claim for soy and cancer risk-reduction currently being reviewed by the FDA. ..
- Vitamin E and atherosclerosis in LDLR-/-miceMohsen Meydani; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Soy Isoflavone Metabolite Equol--Formation and FateKenneth Setchell; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Mechansim of tea catechin's inhibition of angiogenesisMohsen Meydani; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- GARLIC PREPARATIONS AND ANTIRETROVIRAL DRUGSDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2004..The work will provide immediately applicable clinical data on garlic interactions with antiretrovirals, as well as mechanistic data identifying the interaction process and its predictability from in vitro models. ..
- The Proteasome as Molecular Target of Grape PolyphenolsQING PING DOU; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- TEA TARGETING PROTEASOME--A ROLE IN CANCER PREVENTIONQING DOU; Fiscal Year: 2002..A Future Aim is to determine whether in vivo proteasome-inhibitory ability of tea polyphenols is related to their antitumor activity using nude mice bearing human prostate tumors. ..