Genomes and Genes
Summary: The evacuation of food from the stomach into the duodenum.
Publications348 found, 100 shown here
- Does postprandial coffee intake enhance gastric emptying?: a crossover study using continuous real time 13C breath test (BreathID system)Keiko Akimoto
Gastroenterology Division, Yokohama City University School of Medicine, Yokohama, Japan
Hepatogastroenterology 56:918-20. 2009..The aim of this study was to determine whether there was a correlation between coffee intake and gastric emptying using a novel non-invasive technique for measuring gastric emptying with a continuous real time 13C breath ..
- Delayed gastric emptying (DGE) after pancreatic surgery: a suggested definition by the International Study Group of Pancreatic Surgery (ISGPS)Moritz N Wente
Department of General Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 110, Heidelberg, Germany
Surgery 142:761-8. 2007Delayed gastric emptying (DGE) is one of the most common complications after pancreatic resection...
- Bitter taste receptors and α-gustducin regulate the secretion of ghrelin with functional effects on food intake and gastric emptyingSara Janssen
Department of Pathophysiology, Translational Research Center for Gastrointestinal Disorders, Catholic University of Leuven, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:2094-9. 2011..to investigate whether T2R-agonists affect (i) ghrelin release via α-gustducin and (ii) food intake and gastric emptying via the release of ghrelin...
- Clinical features of idiopathic gastroparesis vary with sex, body mass, symptom onset, delay in gastric emptying, and gastroparesis severityHenry P Parkman
Gastroenterology Section, Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19140, USA
Gastroenterology 140:101-15. 2011..We studied characteristics of patients with IG enrolled in the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases Gastroparesis Clinical Research Consortium Registry...
- Postoperative ileus is maintained by intestinal immune infiltrates that activate inhibitory neural pathways in miceWouter J de Jonge
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Academic Medical Center, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Gastroenterology 125:1137-47. 2003..We aimed to study its pathophysiology in a murine model by determining gastric emptying after manipulation of the small intestine.
- Effect of the artificial sweetener, sucralose, on gastric emptying and incretin hormone release in healthy subjectsJing Ma
University of Adelaide, Discipline of Medicine, Royal Adelaide Hospital, North Terr, Adelaide SA 5000, Australia
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 296:G735-9. 2009..We studied blood glucose, plasma levels of insulin, GLP-1, and GIP, and gastric emptying (by a breath test) in 7 healthy humans after intragastric infusions of 1) 50 g sucrose in water to a total ..
- Rapid tachyphylaxis of the glucagon-like peptide 1-induced deceleration of gastric emptying in humansMichael A Nauck
Diabeteszentrum Bad Lauterberg, Bad Lauterberg, Germany
Diabetes 60:1561-5. 2011Glucagon-like peptide (GLP)-1 lowers postprandial glycemia primarily through inhibition of gastric emptying. We addressed whether the GLP-1-induced deceleration of gastric emptying is subject to rapid tachyphylaxis and if so, how this ..
- Effect of the once-daily human GLP-1 analogue liraglutide on appetite, energy intake, energy expenditure and gastric emptying in type 2 diabetesMichael Horowitz
University of Adelaide Discipline of Medicine, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, Australia
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 97:258-66. 2012..Liraglutide reduces bodyweight in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM). This study aimed to investigate the mechanisms underlying this effect...
- Effects of different sweet preloads on incretin hormone secretion, gastric emptying, and postprandial glycemia in healthy humansTongzhi Wu
Discipline of Medicine, University of Adelaide, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Australia
Am J Clin Nutr 95:78-83. 2012..can stimulate glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) and glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP), slow gastric emptying, and reduce postprandial glycemic excursions...
- Symptoms associated with impaired gastric emptying of solids and liquids in functional dyspepsiaGiovanni Sarnelli
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Am J Gastroenterol 98:783-8. 2003The relationship between functional dyspepsia and delayed gastric emptying of solids or liquids is still unclear...
- Comparison of gastric emptying and plasma ghrelin levels in patients with functional dyspepsia and non-erosive reflux diseaseTomotaka Shindo
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Nippon Medical School, Tokyo 113 8602, Japan
Digestion 79:65-72. 2009..Thus, this study aims to evaluate the correlation between gastric emptying and ghrelin levels as possible candidate factors for gastric motility in these diseases.
- Effects of fat on gastric emptying of and the glycemic, insulin, and incretin responses to a carbohydrate meal in type 2 diabetesDiana Gentilcore
University of Adelaide, Department of Medicine, Royal Adelaide Hospital, North Terrace, Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:2062-7. 2006b>Gastric emptying (GE) is a major determinant of postprandial glycemia. Because the presence of fat in the small intestine inhibits GE, ingestion of fat may attenuate the glycemic response to carbohydrate.
- JTT-130, a novel intestine-specific inhibitor of microsomal triglyceride transfer protein, suppresses food intake and gastric emptying with the elevation of plasma peptide YY and glucagon-like peptide-1 in a dietary fat-dependent mannerTakahiro Hata
Japan Tobacco Inc, Central Pharmaceutical Research Institute, Takatsuki, Osaka 569 1125, Japan
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 336:850-6. 2011..phenyl}acetyloxymethyl)-2-phenylmalonate (JTT-130), a novel intestine-specific MTP inhibitor, on food intake, gastric emptying, and gut peptides using Sprague-Dawley rats fed 3.1% fat, 13% fat, or 35% fat diets...
- Intragastric infusion of denatonium conditions flavor aversions and delays gastric emptying in rodentsJohn I Glendinning
Department of Biological Sciences, Barnard College, Columbia University, 3009 Broadway, New York, NY 10027, USA
Physiol Behav 93:757-65. 2008..IG) infusion of denatonium (a ligand for T2R receptors) would condition a flavor aversion and/or delay gastric emptying. Four experiments tested for post-oral responses to denatonium in rodents...
- How useful is paracetamol absorption as a marker of gastric emptying? A systematic literature studyM Willems
Julius Centre for General Practice and Patient Oriented Research, University Medical Centre, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Dig Dis Sci 46:2256-62. 2001..Delayed gastric emptying is present in nearly 40% of patients...
- Pathophysiology and treatment of functional dyspepsiaJan Tack
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, University of Leuven, Belgium
Gastroenterology 127:1239-55. 2004
- Inhibitory effect of the anorexic compound oleoylethanolamide on gastric emptying in control and overweight miceGabriella Aviello
Endocannabinoid Research Group, Department of Experimental Pharmacology, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
J Mol Med (Berl) 86:413-22. 2008b>Gastric emptying regulates food intake. Oleoylethanolamide (OEA), an endogenous acylethanolamide chemically related to the endocannabinoid anandamide, inhibits food intake, but its effect on gastric emptying is unknown...
- Delayed gastric emptying is related to cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy in Chinese patients with type 2 diabetesR W Bian
Diabetes Care and Research Center, Jiangsu Province Institute of Geriatrics, Nanjing, China
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 74:28-33. 2011Delayed gastric emptying (DGE) is the commonest gastrointestinal (GI) complication in type 2 diabetes. We aimed to evaluate the association between DGE and cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy (CAN) in type 2 diabetes.
- The impact of food viscosity on eating rate, subjective appetite, glycemic response and gastric emptying rateYong Zhu
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, USA
PLoS ONE 8:e67482. 2013..001), higher plasma concentration of glucose (P<0.001) and delayed gastric emptying as revealed by the acetaminophen absorption test (P<0.001)...
- Fast pouch emptying, delayed small intestinal transit, and exaggerated gut hormone responses after Roux-en-Y gastric bypassC Dirksen
Department of Endocrinology, Hvidovre Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Hvidovre, Denmark
Neurogastroenterol Motil 25:346-e255. 2013..Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) causes extensive changes in gastrointestinal anatomy and leads to reduced appetite and large weight loss, which partly is due to an exaggerated release of anorexigenic gut hormones...
- Measurement of gastric emptying by radiopaque markers in patients with diabetes: correlation with scintigraphy and upper gastrointestinal symptomsE A Olausson
Department of Internal Medicine, Institute of Medicine, Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden
Neurogastroenterol Motil 25:e224-32. 2013Scintigraphy, the gold standard to measure gastric emptying, is expensive and not widely available...
- Glutamine reduces postprandial glycemia and augments the glucagon-like peptide-1 response in type 2 diabetes patientsDorit Samocha-Bonet
Diabetes and Obesity Research Program, Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Sydney 2010, Australia
J Nutr 141:1233-8. 2011..These findings suggest that glutamine may be a novel agent for stimulating GLP-1 concentration and limiting postprandial glycemia in type 2 diabetes...
- Pylorus ring resection reduces delayed gastric emptying in patients undergoing pancreatoduodenectomy: a prospective, randomized, controlled trial of pylorus-resecting versus pylorus-preserving pancreatoduodenectomyManabu Kawai
Second Department of Surgery, Wakayama Medical University School of Medicine, Wakayama, Japan
Ann Surg 253:495-501. 2011..trial (RCT) whether pylorus-resecting pancreatoduodenectomy (PrPD) with preservation of nearly the entire stomach reduces the incidence of delayed gastric emptying (DGE) compared with pylorus-preserving pancreatoduodenectomy (PpPD).
- Impact of rikkunshito, an herbal medicine, on delayed gastric emptying in profoundly handicapped patientsHisayoshi Kawahara
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Osaka Medical Center and Research Institute for Maternal and Child Health, 840 Murodo cho Izumi, Osaka, 594 1101, Japan
Pediatr Surg Int 25:987-90. 2009Rikkunshito is used to treat functional dyspepsia in adults. This study investigated the effects of rikkunshito on delayed gastric emptying in handicapped patients.
- Cold ambient temperature reverses abdominal surgery-induced delayed gastric emptying and decreased plasma ghrelin levels in ratsAndreas Stengel
CURE Digestive Diseases Research Center, Center for Neurobiology of Stress, Department of Medicine, Digestive Diseases Division at the University of California Los Angeles, and VA Greater Los Angeles Health Care System, CA 90073, USA
Peptides 31:2229-35. 2010..through brainstem thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH) signaling influences abdominal surgery-induced delayed gastric emptying (GE) in fasted rats...
- Can symptoms discriminate among those with delayed or normal gastric emptying in dysmotility-like dyspepsia?N J Talley
Department of Medicine, University of Sydney, Nepean Hospital, Penrith, Australia
Am J Gastroenterol 96:1422-8. 2001..sex and severe fullness and vomiting have been reported to be strong independent predictors of slow solid gastric emptying. We aimed to determine if symptom patterns or severity could identify those with abnormal gastric emptying ..
- Etiology of portal hypertension may influence gastrointestinal transitR Sadik
Division of Gastroenterology, Institute of Internal Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, University of Goteborg, Goteborg, Sweden
Scand J Gastroenterol 38:1039-44. 2003..We have studied gastric emptying. small-bowel transit and colonic transit in patients with portal hypertension...
- Electroacupuncture accelerates gastric emptying in association with changes in vagal activityHui Ouyang
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Boulevard, Galveston, TX 77555 0632, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 282:G390-6. 2002..a disorder with a lack of treatment options and this study investigated the effect of electroacupuncture on gastric emptying and involved mechanisms...
- Electroacupuncture improves restraint stress-induced delay of gastric emptying via central glutaminergic pathways in conscious ratsMasahiro Iwa
Department of Surgery, Duke University and Durham Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Surgical Service 112, 508 Fulton Street, NC 27705, USA
Neurosci Lett 399:6-10. 2006..investigated the effects of electroacupuncture (EA) at ST-36 (Zusanli; lower limb) on stress-induced delay of gastric emptying. Solid food gastric emptying in 90 min was significantly delayed by restraint stress (27.3 +/- 2...
- Effects of body positions on gastric emptying with enteral nutrition: a crossover study using a continuous real time 13C breath test (BreathID system)Tamon Ikeda
Gastroenterology Division, Yokohama City University Hospital, 3 9 Fukuura, Kanazawa Ku, Yokohama, 236 0004, Japan
Hepatogastroenterology 55:1905-7. 2008The aim of this study was to determine whether there was a correlation between body positions and gastric emptying, using a novel non-invasive technique for measuring gastric emptying with a continuous real time 13C breath test (BreathID ..
- Early effects of peppermint oil on gastric emptying: a crossover study using a continuous real-time 13C breath test (BreathID system)Masahiko Inamori
Gastroenterology Division, Yokohama City University, 3 9 Fukuura, Kanazawa Ku, Yokohama, 236 0004, Japan
J Gastroenterol 42:539-42. 2007The aim of this study was to determine whether there was a correlation between peppermint oil and gastric emptying by using a novel noninvasive technique for measuring gastric emptying with a continuous real-time (13)C breath test (..
- Aperitif effects on gastric emptying: a crossover study using continuous real-time 13C breath test (BreathID System)M Inamori
Gastroenterology Division, Yokohama City University School of Medicine, 3 9 Fukuura, Kanazawa Ku, Yokohama, 236 0004, Japan
Dig Dis Sci 54:816-8. 2009The aim of this study was to determine whether there is a correlation between aperitif and gastric emptying. Ten healthy male volunteers participated in this randomized, two-way crossover study...
- Delayed gastric emptying and enteric nervous system dysfunction in the rotenone model of Parkinson's diseaseJames G Greene
Department of Neurology, Emory University School of Medicine, 505H Whitehead Biomedical Research Bldg, 615 Michael St, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Exp Neurol 218:154-61. 2009..Symptoms of GI dysmotility in PD include early satiety and weight loss from delayed gastric emptying and constipation from impaired colonic transit...
- Viscosity of oat bran-enriched beverages influences gastrointestinal hormonal responses in healthy humansKristiina R Juvonen
Department of Clinical Nutrition, Food and Health Research Centre, School of Public Health and Clinical Nutrition, University of Kuopio, 70211 Kuopio, Finland
J Nutr 139:461-6. 2009..009) than the beverage with high-viscosity oat bran. Gastric emptying as measured by paracetamol absorption was also faster (P = 0...
- Assessment of meal induced gastric accommodation by a satiety drinking test in health and in severe functional dyspepsiaJ Tack
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Gut 52:1271-7. 2003..Impaired gastric accommodation is a major pathophysiological mechanism in functional dyspepsia. The aim of the present work was to assess a satiety drinking test in the evaluation of accommodation in health and dyspepsia...
- High-viscosity liquid meal accelerates gastric emptyingY Shimoyama
Department of Endoscopy and Endoscopic Surgery, Gunma University Hospital, Gunma, Japan
Neurogastroenterol Motil 19:879-86. 2007..We investigated the influence of the viscosity of an elemental formula on gastric emptying. Eleven healthy volunteers underwent three tests at intervals of >1 week...
- Endogenous glucagon-like peptide-1 slows gastric emptying in healthy subjects, attenuating postprandial glycemiaAdam M Deane
Disciplines of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia 5005 Australia
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:215-21. 2010The role of glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) in the regulation of gastric emptying is uncertain. The aim of this study was to determine the effects of endogenous GLP-1 on gastric emptying, glucose absorption, and glycemia in health.
- Pylorus preserving pancreaticoduodenectomy versus standard Whipple procedure: a prospective, randomized, multicenter analysis of 170 patients with pancreatic and periampullary tumorsKhe T C Tran
Department of General Surgery, Erasmus Medical Center Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Surg 240:738-45. 2004..the results of pylorus-preserving pancreaticoduodenectomy (PPPD) equal those of the standard Whipple (SW) operation, especially with respect to duration of surgery, blood loss, hospital stay, delayed gastric emptying (DGE), and survival.
- Effects of a protein preload on gastric emptying, glycemia, and gut hormones after a carbohydrate meal in diet-controlled type 2 diabetesJing Ma
Discipline of Medicine, University of Adelaide, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, Australia
Diabetes Care 32:1600-2. 2009We evaluated whether a whey preload could slow gastric emptying, stimulate incretin hormones, and attenuate postprandial glycemia in type 2 diabetes.
- Glucagon-like peptide 2 stimulates glucagon secretion, enhances lipid absorption, and inhibits gastric acid secretion in humansJuris J Meier
Department of Medicine I, St Josef Hospital, Ruhr University, Bochum, Germany
Gastroenterology 130:44-54. 2006..However, the acute effects of GLP-2 on gastric functions as well as on glucose and lipid homeostasis in humans are less well characterized...
- Glucagon-like peptide 1 increases the period of postprandial satiety and slows gastric emptying in obese menE Naslund
Department of Surgery, Danderyd Hospital, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Am J Clin Nutr 68:525-30. 1998..As a marker for gastric emptying, 1.5 g acetaminophen was given at the start of the meal...
- Gastric emptying, gastric secretion and enterogastrone response after administration of milk proteins or their peptide hydrolysates in humansJose A L Calbet
Copenhagen Muscle Research Center, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur J Nutr 43:127-39. 2004The influence of protein fractionation on gastric emptying and rate of appearance of their constituent amino acids in peripheral blood remains unknown.
- Electroacupuncture accelerates solid gastric emptying and improves dyspeptic symptoms in patients with functional dyspepsiaSanping Xu
Division of Gastroenterology, Union Hospital of Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
Dig Dis Sci 51:2154-9. 2006..aims of this study were to investigate the effects of electroacupuncture (EA) at ST36 and PC6 points on solid gastric emptying and dyspeptic symptoms in patients with functional dyspepsia...
- Tests of gastric neuromuscular functionHenry P Parkman
Gastroenterology Section, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19140, USA
Gastroenterology 136:1526-43. 2009..These symptoms can be associated with alterations in the rates of gastric emptying, impaired accommodation, heightened gastric sensation, or alterations in gastric myoelectrical function and ..
- Gastric sensorimotor functions and hormone profile in normal weight, overweight, and obese peopleMaria I Vazquez Roque
Clinical Enteric Neuroscience Translational and Epidemiological Research Program, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Gastroenterology 131:1717-24. 2006..The aim of this study was to compare gastric volumes, emptying, maximum tolerated volumes, postchallenge symptoms, and selected gut hormones in normal, overweight, or obese healthy volunteers...
- An extensively hydrolysed cow's milk formula improves clinical symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux and reduces the gastric emptying time in infantsA Garzi
Pediatric Surgery Medicine and Surgery Department Siena University, Siena, Italy
Allergol Immunopathol (Madr) 30:36-41. 2002..About 20 % of infants fed with breast-milk substitutes suffer from Gastro Esophageal Reflux (GER) and 1/3 of them also show Cow's Milk Allergy (CMA) symptoms...
- Postoperative evaluation of function-preserving gastrectomy for early gastric cancerEiji Nomura
Department of General and Gastroenterological Surgery, Osaka Medical College, 2 7, Daigaku machi, Takatsuki, Osaka 569 8686, Japan
Hepatogastroenterology 50:2246-50. 2003..We evaluated the efficacy of the following three surgical options in gastrectomy for early gastric cancer; 1) reduction of the extent of gastrectomy, 2) preservation of the vagal nerve, and 3) preservation of the pylorus...
- Measurements of gastric emptying of low- and high-nutrient liquids using 3D ultrasonography and scintigraphy in healthy subjectsD Gentilcore
Royal Adelaide Hospital, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Neurogastroenterol Motil 18:1062-8. 2006Scintigraphy represents the 'gold standard' for the measurement of gastric emptying. Recent studies suggest that three-dimensional (3D) ultrasonography may allow a precise measure of gastric emptying, given the capacity for accurate ..
- Electroacupuncture elicits dual effects: stimulation of delayed gastric emptying and inhibition of accelerated colonic transit induced by restraint stress in ratsMasahiro Iwa
Department of Surgery, Duke University and Durham Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27705, USA
Dig Dis Sci 51:1493-500. 2006..Solid gastric emptying was significantly delayed by restraint stress (29.6+/-2.4%; n=7) compared to that of controls (60.0+/-2...
- Antidiabetic actions of endogenous and exogenous GLP-1 in type 1 diabetic patients with and without residual β-cell functionUrd Kielgast
Department of Endocrinology, Hvidovre University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Diabetes 60:1599-607. 2011....
- Muscarinic-dependent inhibition of gastric emptying and intestinal motility by fractions of Maytenus ilicifolia Mart ex. ReissekCristiane Hatsuko Baggio
Department of Pharmacology, Sector of Biological Sciences, Universidade Federal do Parana, Curitiba, PR, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 123:385-91. 2009..Maytenus ilicifolia Mart. ex. Reissek (Celastraceae) is widely used in Brazilian folk medicine to treat gastric disturbances...
- Effects of retrograde gastric electrical stimulation with pulse trains on gastric emptying of solids and plasma hormones in dogsGeng Qing Song
Division of Gastroenterology, Union Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 1307 Luoyu Road, Wuhan, P R 430074, China
Am J Surg 194:122-7. 2007..The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of RGES with trains of pulses on gastric slow waves, gastric emptying of solids, and plasma concentrations of satiety-related peptides and glucose.
- Scintigraphic evaluation of gastric emptying in obese patients submitted to sleeve gastrectomy compared to normal subjectsItalo Braghetto
Department of Surgery, Hospital Clinico Universidad de Chile, Santos Dumont 999, Santiago, Chile
Obes Surg 19:1515-21. 2009..This operation could be associated with motor gastric dysfunction and abnormal gastric emptying. The purpose of this prospective study is to present the results of gastric emptying to liquids and solids ..
- The role of postprandial releases of insulin and incretin hormones in meal-induced satiety--effect of obesity and weight reductionC Verdich
Research Department of Human Nutrition, Centre for Advanced Food Studies, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Frederiksberg, Denmark
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25:1206-14. 2001..Previous studies have indicated that the secretion of the intestinal satiety hormone glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) is attenuated in obese subjects...
- Effect of restraint and footshock stress and norepinephrine treatment on gastric emptying in ratsFumitake Tsukada
Department of Radiopharmacy, Tohoku Pharmaceutical University, Aoba ku, Sendai, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 26:368-70. 2003We investigated the effects of restraint and footshock stress and norepinephrine treatment on gastric emptying. The gastric emptying was significantly inhibited by restraint stress...
- Gastric transit and small intestinal transit time and motility assessed by a magnet tracking systemJonas Worsøe
Department of Surgery P, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
BMC Gastroenterol 11:145. 2011..The aim was to test the validity of MTS-1 for assessment of gastric transit time and small intestinal transit time, and to illustrate transit patterns detected by the system...
- Energy homeostasis and gastric emptying in ghrelin knockout miceB De Smet
Centre for Gastroenterological Research, Catholic University of Leuven, Gasthuisberg, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 316:431-9. 2006To elucidate the role of endogenous ghrelin in the regulation of energy homeostasis and gastric emptying, ghrelin knockout mice (ghrelin(-/-)) were generated...
- Urocortin reduces food intake and gastric emptying in lean and ob/ob obese miceA Asakawa
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Kobe University School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
Gastroenterology 116:1287-92. 1999b>Gastric emptying plays an important role in regulating food intake. This study was designed to investigate whether intraperitoneally injected urocortin reduces gastric emptying, feeding, and body weight in lean and ob/ob obese mice.
- Retrograde gastric pacing reduces food intake and delays gastric emptying in humans: a potential therapy for obesity?Shukun Yao
Department of Gastroenterology, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, PUMC, Beijing, China
Dig Dis Sci 50:1569-75. 2005..of this study was to investigate the effects of retrograde gastric pacing (RGP) on food and water intake, and gastric emptying in humans...
- Gastric emptying in hereditary transthyretin amyloidosis: the impact of autonomic neuropathyJ Wixner
Departments of Public Health and Clinical Medicine, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Neurogastroenterol Motil 24:1111-e568. 2012..The aim of this study was to investigate the impact of autonomic neuropathy on gastric emptying in hereditary transthyretin amyloidosis and to relate these findings to nutritional status, GI symptoms, ..
- Subtotal stomach-preserving pancreaticoduodenectomy (SSPPD) prevents postoperative delayed gastric emptyingHiroshi Kurahara
Department of Surgical Oncology and Digestive Surgery, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kagoshima University, Japan
J Surg Oncol 102:615-9. 2010Delayed gastric emptying (DGE) is one of main complications after pylorus-preserving pancreaticoduodenectomy (PPPD) with regional lymph node dissection (RLND)...
- Role of ghrelin in the relationship between hyperphagia and accelerated gastric emptying in diabetic micePieter Jan Verhulst
Centre for Gastroenterological Research, Catholic University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Gastroenterology 135:1267-76. 2008..Mice with streptozotocin (STZ)-induced diabetes exhibit hyperphagia, altered gastric emptying, and increased plasma ghrelin levels...
- Peptide YY(3-36) inhibits gastric emptying and produces acute reductions in food intake in rhesus monkeysTimothy H Moran
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Ross 618, 720 Rutland Ave, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 288:R384-8. 2005..3-3.0 nmol/kg) to affect liquid gastric emptying and daily 6-h food intake in male rhesus monkeys...
- The effect of different dosages of guar gum on gastric emptying and small intestinal transit of a consumed semisolid mealM A van Nieuwenhoven
Department of Gastroenterology, Maastricht University, The Netherlands
J Am Coll Nutr 20:87-91. 2001There is no consensus about the effect of guar gum supplementation on gastrointestinal transit. It has been suggested that guar gum slows gastric emptying and intestinal transit, thus inducing an increased feeling of satiety.
- CholecystokininGraham J Dockray
Physiological Laboratory, Institute of Translational Medicine, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK
Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes 19:8-12. 2012Cholecystokinin (CCK) controls nutrient delivery to the small intestine by inhibiting food intake and gastric emptying. This review deals with recent work shedding new light on how and when.
- The dorsal vagal complex as a site for cocaine- and amphetamine-regulated transcript peptide to suppress gastric emptyingUlrika Smedh
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Science, John Hopkins University School of Medecine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 291:R124-30. 2006..We hypothesized that dorsal hindbrain effects of CARTp on gastric emptying are mediated by the vagus nerve and that the dorsal vagal complex (DVC) is a site of action for the gastric ..
- Gastric emptying and intragastric distribution of a solid meal in functional dyspepsia: influence of gender and anxietySônia Letícia Silva Lorena
Disciplina de Gastroenterologia, Departamento de Clinica Medica, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Clin Gastroenterol 38:230-6. 2004..Gastric dysmotility and psychological factors have been implicated in the pathophysiology of functional dyspepsia...
- Gastric emptying of a carbohydrate-electrolyte drink during a soccer matchJ B Leiper
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University Medical School, Foresterhill, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, UK
Med Sci Sports Exerc 33:1932-8. 2001To investigate the effect on gastric emptying of intermittent exercise at varying intensities such as occurs during a soccer match.
- Low-dose erythromycin reduces delayed gastric emptying and improves gastric motility after Billroth I pylorus-preserving pancreaticoduodenectomyS Ohwada
Second Department of Surgery, Gunma University Faculty of Medicine, Maebashi, Japan
Ann Surg 234:668-74. 2001To test the hypothesis that early and low doses of erythromycin reduce the incidence of early delayed gastric emptying (DGE) and induce phase 3 of the migratory motor complex in the stomach after Billroth I pylorus-preserving ..
- Delay in gastric emptying in patients with chronic renal failureH Strid
Dept of Internal Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hosptial, Goteborg, Sweden
Scand J Gastroenterol 39:516-20. 2004Gastrointestinal (GI) symptoms are common in patients with chronic renal failure (CRF). Delayed gastric emptying might be a possible pathophysiological mechanism...
- Effect of cinnamon on gastric emptying, arterial stiffness, postprandial lipemia, glycemia, and appetite responses to high-fat breakfastOonagh Markey
Department of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, University of Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
Cardiovasc Diabetol 10:78. 2011Cinnamon has been shown to delay gastric emptying of a high-carbohydrate meal and reduce postprandial glycemia in healthy adults...
- Gastric emptying: the validity of the paracetamol absorption test adjusted for individual pharmacokineticsA W Medhus
Department of Medicine, Ulleval University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Neurogastroenterol Motil 13:179-85. 2001An algorithm for the paracetamol absorption test for gastric emptying, adjusting for individual pharmacokinetics, was recently developed. The aim of the present study was to validate the use of this algorithm...
- Effect of distal subtotal gastrectomy with preservation of the celiac branch of the vagus nerve to gastrointestinal function: an experimental study in conscious dogsHiroyuki Ando
Department of General Surgical Science and the 21st Century COE Program, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine 3 39 22, Japan
Ann Surg 247:976-86. 2008..To evaluate the effects of distal subtotal gastrectomy with preservation of the celiac branch of the vagus nerve on gastrointestinal function...
- Paradoxical impact of body positioning on gastroesophageal reflux and gastric emptying in the premature neonateTaher I Omari
Department of Paediatrics, University of Adelaide, Center for Paediatric and Adolescent Gastroenterology, Neonatal Medicine Unit, Women s and Children s Hospital, North Adelaide Australia
J Pediatr 145:194-200. 2004To combine manometry and impedance to characterize the mechanisms of gastroesophageal reflux (GER) and to explore their relation to the rate of gastric emptying (GE) and body position.
- Association of the predominant symptom with clinical characteristics and pathophysiological mechanisms in functional dyspepsiaGeorge Karamanolis
Center for Gastroenterological Research, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Gastroenterology 130:296-303. 2006..The aim of this study was to analyze the relationship of predominant pain or discomfort with pathophysiological mechanisms and to evaluate whether considering individual predominant symptoms yields better results...
- Incidence of pancreatic anastomotic failure and delayed gastric emptying after pancreatoduodenectomy in 507 consecutive patients: use of a web-based calculator to improve homogeneity of definitionYasushi Hashimoto
Section of General, Vascular, and Thoracic Surgery, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98111, USA
Surgery 147:503-15. 2010Many definitions are used in the literature for pancreatic anastomotic failure (PAF) and delayed gastric emptying (DGE) after pancreatoduodenectomy (PD)...
- Effects of rikkunshi-to, a traditional Japanese medicine, on the delay of gastric emptying induced by N(G)-nitro-L-arginineToshitaka Kido
Department of Medicinal Informatics, Graduate School of Medicine, Kanazawa University, Japan
J Pharmacol Sci 98:161-7. 2005We evaluated the effects of Rikkunshi-to and several of its ingredients on the delay of gastric emptying induced by a nitric oxide (NO) synthase inhibitor, N(G)-nitro-L-arginine (L-NNA)...
- Gastric emptying before and after liver transplantation for familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy, Portuguese type (Val30Met)Ole B Suhr
Department of Medicine, Umea University Hospital, SE 901 85 Umea, Sweden
Amyloid 10:121-6. 2003..the frequency of gastric retention in FAP patients and to evaluate the impact liver transplantation has on gastric emptying. Twenty-two patients, who had undergone liver transplantation, and had been re-examined for gastric retention ..
- Acupuncture in critically ill patients improves delayed gastric emptying: a randomized controlled trialFlorian Pfab
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
Anesth Analg 112:150-5. 2011..patient outcomes in the intensive care unit (ICU), tubefeed administration is often complicated by delayed gastric emptying and gastroesophageal reflux...
- Inhibition of gastric emptying by acarbose is correlated with GLP-1 response and accompanied by CCK releaseF Y Enç
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Marmara Medical School, Istanbul 81326
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 281:G752-63. 2001We investigated the effect of acarbose, an alpha-glucosidase and pancreatic alpha-amylase inhibitor, on gastric emptying of solid meals of varying nutrient composition and plasma responses of gut hormones...
- Central administration of pan-somatostatin agonist ODT8-SST prevents abdominal surgery-induced inhibition of circulating ghrelin, food intake and gastric emptying in ratsA Stengel
CURE Digestive Diseases Research Center, Center for Neurobiology of Stress, Department of Medicine, Digestive Diseases Division at the University of California Los Angeles, and VA Greater Los Angeles Health Care System, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 23:e294-308. 2011..Brain CRF signaling is involved in delaying gastric emptying (GE) immediately post surgery...
- Ghrelin accelerates gastric emptying via early manifestation of antro-pyloric coordination in conscious ratsHajime Ariga
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Regul Pept 146:112-6. 2008Ghrelin is known to enhance gastric motility and accelerate gastric emptying of liquid and solid food in rats...
- The effect of physiological levels of glucagon-like peptide-1 on appetite, gastric emptying, energy and substrate metabolism in obesityA Flint
Research Department of Human Nutrition, Center for Food Research, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Rolighedsvej 30, DK 1958 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25:781-92. 2001..The objective of this study was to investigate the effects of a GLP-1 infusion in a physiological dose on appetite sensations, energy intake, gastric emptying, energy and substrate metabolism.
- Interactions between gastric emptying and satiety, with special reference to glucagon-like peptide-1P M Hellstrom
Department of Internal Medicine, Unit of Gastroenterology Karolinska Hospital, Karolinska Institutet, SE 171 76, Stockholm, Sweden
Physiol Behav 74:735-41. 2001The slowing of gastric emptying is an important mechanism for the satiating effect of gut peptide signaling...
- Risk factors of pancreatic fistula and delayed gastric emptying after pancreaticoduodenectomy with pancreaticogastrostomyEmilie Lermite
Department of Digestive Surgery, University Hospital, Angers, France
J Am Coll Surg 204:588-96. 2007Pancreatic fistula (PF) and delayed gastric emptying (DGE) are, respectively, the most frightening and most frequent complications after pancreaticoduodenectomy (PD)...
- The role of endocannabinoids in the regulation of gastric emptying: alterations in mice fed a high-fat dietV Di Marzo
Endocannabinoid Research Group, Institute of Biomolecular Chemistry, National Research Council, Pozzuoli, Naples, Italy
Br J Pharmacol 153:1272-80. 2008..However, their role in the regulation of gastric emptying is largely unexplored...
- Gastric emptying of a non-digestible solid: assessment with simultaneous SmartPill pH and pressure capsule, antroduodenal manometry, gastric emptying scintigraphyD Cassilly
Gastroenterology Section, Department of Medicine, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 20:311-9. 2008b>Gastric emptying of digestible solids occurs after trituration of food particles. Non-digestible solids are thought to empty with phase III of the migrating motor complex (MMC)...
- Ob/ob mice as a model of delayed gastric emptyingAkihiro Asakawa
Department of Clinical Molecular Medicine, Division of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, 7 5 1 Kusunoki cho, Chuo Ku, Japan
J Diabetes Complications 17:27-8. 2003Diabetic gastroparesis is a well-recognized delay of gastric emptying in diabetic patients. We assessed the gastric emptying rate in ob/ob mice, a genetic model of obesity and diabetes...
- Acotiamide hydrochloride (Z-338), a novel prokinetic agent, restores delayed gastric emptying and feeding inhibition induced by restraint stress in ratsK Seto
Central Research Laboratories, Zeria Pharmaceutical Co Ltd, Saitama, Japan
Neurogastroenterol Motil 20:1051-9. 2008..Therefore, effects of acotiamide on stress-related symptoms, delayed gastric emptying and feeding inhibition, in rats were examined...
- Pharmacological effects of oxytocin on gastric emptying and intestinal transit of a non-nutritive liquid meal in female ratsChiu Lung Wu
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Shih Pai, Taipei 11221, Taiwan, Republic of China
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 367:406-13. 2003The effects of oxytocin (OT) on gastric emptying, gastrointestinal transit, and plasma levels of cholecystokinin (CCK) were studied in female rats...
- Cholecystokinin affects gastric emptying and stomach motility in the rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykissC Olsson
Department of Zoophysiology, University of Goteborg, Box 463, S 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden and Department of Radiation Physics, Sahlgrenska Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
J Exp Biol 202:161-70. 1999In this study, we describe new methods for recording gastric emptying and in vivo measurements of intragastric pressure in fish...
- Role of gastric sensorimotor dysfunction in gastrointestinal symptoms and energy intake in liver cirrhosisEvangelos Kalaitzakis
Section of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Gothenburg, Sweden
Scand J Gastroenterol 42:237-46. 2007..The aim of this study was to investigate gastric accommodation to a meal and sensitivity to gastric distension with reference to energy intake, nutritional status and gastrointestinal symptoms in liver cirrhosis...
- Functional dyspepsia: mechanisms of symptom generation and appropriate management of patientsMichael Camilleri
Clinical Enteric Neuroscience Translational and Epidemiological Research Group, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Charlton 8 110, 200 First Street, SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Gastroenterol Clin North Am 36:649-64, xi-x. 2007..To achieve greater therapeutic efficacy, it may be necessary to target the therapeutic approach to a specific pathophysiology, such as impaired gastric emptying.
- Comparison of gastric emptying of a nondigestible capsule to a radio-labelled meal in healthy and gastroparetic subjectsB Kuo
Gastroenterology Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 27:186-96. 2008b>Gastric emptying scintigraphy (GES) using a radio-labelled meal is used to measure gastric emptying...
- Delayed gastric emptying after pylorus-preserving pancreaticoduodenectomy: validation of International Study Group of Pancreatic Surgery classification and analysis of risk factorsGiuseppe Malleo
Department of Surgery, General Surgery B Unit, G B Rossi Hospital, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
HPB (Oxford) 12:610-8. 2010This study evaluates the incidence and clinical features and associated risk factors of delayed gastric emptying (DGE) after pancreaticoduodenectomy, employing the International Study Group of Pancreatic Surgery (ISGPS) consensus ..
- Evaluation of gastric emptying measured with the 13C-octanoic acid breath test in patients with functional dyspepsia: comparison with ultrasonographyS Aoki
First Dept of Intestinal Medicine, Hiroshima University School of Medicine, Japan
Scand J Gastroenterol 37:662-6. 2002As a non-invasive modality by which to evaluate the gastric emptying of a solid meal, the 13C-octanoic acid breath test has recently become more widely used...
- Effect of inhibition of inducible nitric oxide synthase and guanylyl cyclase on endotoxin-induced delay in gastric emptying and intestinal transit in miceBenedicte Y De Winter
Division of Gastroenterology, Faculty of Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Antwerp, Belgium
Shock 18:125-31. 2002..After 18 h, general well being deteriorated and the mice developed hypothermia and a significant delay in gastric emptying and intestinal transit as measured by Evans blue...
- Muscarinic blockade inhibits gastric emptying of mixed-nutrient meal: effects of weight and genderK L Teff
Monell Chemical Senses Center, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Am J Physiol 276:R707-14. 1999We compared the vagal contribution to gastric emptying in lean and obese subjects by monitoring gastric emptying of a meal during muscarinic blockade...
- Effect of muesli with 4 g oat beta-glucan on postprandial blood glucose, gastric emptying and satiety in healthy subjects: a randomized crossover trialJoanna Hlebowicz
Department of Medicine, Malmo University Hospital, University of Lund, Malmo, Sweden
J Am Coll Nutr 27:470-5. 2008..The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of an extruded muesli product based on oat beta-glucan on the rate of gastric emptying, postprandial blood glucose and satiety in healthy subjects.
- Rabeprazole delays gastric emptying of a nutrient liquidMasaki Sanaka
Department of Internal Medicine, Tokyo Metropolitan Komagome Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:1806-9. 2007It is generally considered that gastric acid suppression delays gastric emptying of solid meals because gastric hypoacidity impairs peptic digestion and antral triturition. Rabeprazole is one of the most potent acid suppressants...
- Peripheral urocortin inhibits gastric emptying and food intake in mice: differential role of CRF receptor 2L Wang
Center for Ulcer Research and Education, Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Department of Medicine, Division of Digestive Diseases and Brain Research Institute, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles 90073, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 281:R1401-10. 2001Intraperitoneal urocortin inhibits gastric emptying and food intake in mice. We investigated corticotropin-releasing factor receptor (CRF-R) subtypes involved in intraperitoneal urocortin actions using selective CRF-R antagonists...
- Dual-pulse electrical stimulation for gastroparesisJiande Chen; Fiscal Year: 2004..It is hypothesized that GES with such a stimulus improves both gastric emptying (via long pulses) and symptoms of gastroparesis (via short pulses)...
- A MULTI-CHANNEL GASTRIC PACER FOR TREATING GASTROPARESISRobert Ross; Fiscal Year: 2004In a new therapeutic approach for delayed gastric emptying and gastroparesis, Virginia Technologies, Inc...
- Nitric Oxide and gastric motility in female diabeticsPandu R Gangula; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our preliminary data suggests that a significant impairment of nitrergic relaxation and delayed gastric emptying for solids was demonstrated selectively in females after diabetes induction with streptozotocin (STZ)...
- The effects of glucose on central vagal brainstem circuitsKIRSTEEN NAIRN BROWNING; Fiscal Year: 2013..By decreasing gastric tone and motility, the receptive relaxation reflex delays gastric emptying, slows the rate at which chyme is transported to the intestine and, by consequence, regulates the rate of ..
- Sweet taste receptors and glucose metabolism in healthy and T2DM humansKaren L Teff; Fiscal Year: 2012..interest as GLP plays a critical role in glucose homeostasis by stimulating insulin release, delaying gastric emptying and inhibiting hepatic glucose production...
- Physiological Role of CNS GLP-2 Receptor in Energy HomeostasisXinfu Guan; Fiscal Year: 2010..crypt cell proliferation and mucosal blood flow to promote nutrient absorption, while it also decreases gastric emptying and gut motility to inhibit food intake...
- Pharmacogenomics of Gastric Function &Weight in ObesityMICHAEL L CAMILLERI; Fiscal Year: 2013..research proposal seeks to further examine the association of candidate genes with stomach functions (rate of gastric emptying, gastric volume and maximum tolerated volume as a marker of sensitivity) that are associated with fullness ..
- Role of Parabrachial Nucleus Neuropeptides in FeedingJohn Paul Baird; Fiscal Year: 2011..such as obesity, anorexia, bulimia, failure to thrive, gastric reflux, cachexia, early satiety, delayed gastric emptying, dysgeusia, and anosmia contribute to diseases including hypertension, stroke, diabetes, and heart disease, ..
- Receptor Regulation of CCK Cell FunctionRodger A Liddle; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specifically CCK regulates gallbladder contraction, pancreatic enzyme secretion, delays gastric emptying, and induces satiety...
- Developmental Origins of Functional DyspepsiaSushil K Sarna; Fiscal Year: 2013..of Functional Dyspepsia are upper abdominal pain that is exaggerated by ingestion of a meal, and delayed gastric emptying. The etiology of these symptoms is not known, which has hampered efforts to develop effective therapeutic ..
- GASTROINTESTINAL INTEGRATION AND FEEDINGTimothy H Moran; Fiscal Year: 2013..nonhuman primate model that has been successful in elucidating feedback controls on food intake and gastric emptying that have direct relevance to man...
- Antidepressant Therapy for Functional DyspepsiaYURI ANN SAITO LOFTUS; Fiscal Year: 2011..2) Acceleration of solid gastric emptying, reduction of postprandial satiation and enhanced gastric volume change with a meal on antidepressant therapy ..
- Role of Renal Dipeptidyl Peptidase IVEDWIN KERRY JACKSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..thereby exert antidiabetic actions by increasing insulin release, inhibiting glucagon secretion and retarding gastric emptying. However, DPPIV metabolizes at least 35 endogenous substrates, and the pharmacological consequences of ..
- Automated Intestinal Electrical Stimulation for DiabetesJiande Chen; Fiscal Year: 2013..the hypothesis that IES-induced reduction in postprandial blood glucose is mediated mechanically by delayed gastric emptying and accelerated intestinal transit, and hormonally by reduced ghrelin and increased release of GLP-1...
- Mechanisms Regulating Gastrointestinal Hormone SecretionRodger A Liddle; Fiscal Year: 2013..gastrointestinal hormone that regulates gallbladder contraction, pancreatic enzyme secretion, delays gastric emptying, and induces satiety...
- Type A CCK Receptor Structure, Function &RegulationLaurence J Miller; Fiscal Year: 2013..including the stimulation of pancreatic exocrine secretion and gallbladder emptying, the regulation of gastric emptying and bowel transit, and the modification of appetite...
- Effects of hyperglycemia on gastric emptyingToku Takahashi; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Abstract Gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) occurs in the absence of mechanical obstruction. Although associated with many diseases, the most frequent cause of gastroparesis is diabetes...
- Advancing Science for the Diagnosis and Treatment of GastroparesisPankaj J Pasricha; Fiscal Year: 2013..DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Gastroparesis is a disorder of gastric function characterized by delay in gastric emptying, frequently associated with chronic nausea and vomiting, early satiety, postprandial fullness, abdominal pain,..
- Gastric dysreflexia after spinal cord injuryGregory M Holmes; Fiscal Year: 2013..In the present proposal we will use an animal model of T3-SCI combined with in vivo physiological (gastric emptying or motility and vagus nerve) recording, and molecular (RT-PCR and ELISA) approaches with the aim of defining ..
- Continuation of the NIDDK Gastroparesis ConsortiumIrene Sarosiek; Fiscal Year: 2013..by applicant): Gastroparesis (GP) is a disorder of gastric motilityfunction characterized by a delay in gastric emptying, frequently associated with chronic nausea and vomiting, early satiety, postprandial fullness, abdominal pain,..
- Integrated approaches to close the loop in type 1 diabetesYogish C Kudva; Fiscal Year: 2013..2) We will explore if gastric emptying rate can predict post prandial meal glucose appearance, insulin action and 24 hour glucose variability in ..
- Transcutaneous electroacupuncture for gastroparesisJiande Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Improvement has been observed with EA or TEA in gastric emptying as well as dyspeptic symptoms...
- Novel Glucagon Modulators and the Closed Loop SystemRubina A Heptulla; Fiscal Year: 2012..in the postprandial period reduces immediate postprandial hyperglycemia by suppressing glucagon and delaying gastric emptying. The hormone GLP-1 has similar actions to amylin and may also be beneficial in T1DM...
- ORAL DRUG DELIVERY AND BIOAVAILABILITY--AIDSGordon Amidon; Fiscal Year: 1993..intersubject variation based on the measured variation of the underlying physiological parameters, such as gastric emptying rate, intestinal transit rate, intestinal pH and permeability, in both the fasted and fed-states...
- Feeding and Pancreatic Rest in Acute PancreatitisDAVID CLEMENT WHITCOMB; Fiscal Year: 2012..with the same dietary formula and does not increase the risk of aspiration despite the known impairmrnt of gastric emptying. This led to the recommendation that NG feeding should be used preferentially as it does not require ..
- Gastroparesis Clinical Research Consortium-University of Michigan Clinical CenterWilliam L Hasler; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Gastroparesis is characterized by delayed gastric emptying in association with nausea, vomiting, fullness, early satiety, and pain that has devastating impacts on quality of life...
- Physiologic Effects of High-Dose Gastric Antral Botulinum Toxin InjectionsMark D Topazian; Fiscal Year: 2010..Delayed gastric emptying occurred in the group that received 300 U BTA. Body weight loss (mean -4...
- Pathobiology of the Enteric SystemJoseph H Szurszewski; Fiscal Year: 2013Disorders of gastric emptying in patients with diabetes, eating disorders and in idiopathic conditions are a significant cause of morbidity. Current approaches for effectively managing gastric emptying disorders are ineffective...
- Reduction of Dietary OxalateQingshan Li; Fiscal Year: 2013..with cell walls, and capable to degrade most available ingested oxalate in the human stomach within the gastric emptying time. Captozyme was successful at finding two enzymes with more than ideal properties...
- NEUROENDOCRINE ETIOLOGY OF DIABETIC GASTROPATHYThomas Nowak; Fiscal Year: 1999..The aim of this research proposal is to study the neural and endocrine controls of gastric emptying in experimental diabetes...
- Effects of Acupuncture on Gastric Motility in RatsToku Takahashi; Fiscal Year: 2004..study demonstrated that acupuncture to the hind limb potentiates gastric contractions and accelerates solid gastric emptying in conscious rats...
- CHOLECYSTOKININ--ROLE IN POSTPRANDIAL GASTRIC MOTILITYHelen Raybould; Fiscal Year: 1993..Changes in gastroduodenal motility and gastric emptying in response to duodenal perfusion with protein, soya bean trypsin inhibitor, acid and glucose and duodenal ..
- EFFECT OF GINSENG ON CISPLATIN-INDUCED EMESISChun Su Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2006..Cisplatin-induced delayed gastric emptying could also contribute to the pathogenesis of nausea/vomiting...
- MOTILITY OF THE DIGESTIVE TRACT IN HEALTH AND DISEASEKEITH KELLY; Fiscal Year: 1993..whether distention of a canine ileal puch will release neurotensin and enteroglucagon, slow the rate of gastric emptying and intestinal transit and enhance intestinal absorption of liquids and solids after ileal pouch-anal ..
- Reduction of Dietary OxalateQingshan Li; Fiscal Year: 2010..with cell walls, and capable to degrade most available ingested oxalate in the human stomach within the gastric emptying time. This product will ideally be taken with meals and oxalate containing snacks...
- BIOSYNTHESIS OF GASTROINTESTINAL HORMONESAndrew Leiter; Fiscal Year: 1990..Other effects of PYY include inhibition of intestinal motility, gastric emptying, and gastric secretion of pepsin as well as reduction of intestinal blood flow...
- Dual Pulse Electrical Stimulation for GastroparesisJiande Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..fundic relaxation, visceral hypersensitivity, gastric dysrhythmia, gastric antral hypomotility, and delayed gastric emptying. The electrical stimulus is composed of long pulses (which will normalize dysrhythmia and enhance fundic ..
- Function of Nkx homeobox genes in enteroendocrine cell differentiationTRACY EDIGER; Fiscal Year: 2009..gut epithelium comprise the largest endocrine organ in the body and serve vital physiologic functions such as gastric emptying and motility, pancreatic and biliary secretion, and growth and repair of gut epithelium...
- Continuation: UMMC's Clinical Center in NIDDK's Gastroparesis ResearchTHOMAS LYMAN ABELL; Fiscal Year: 2013..can reduce Gl symptoms by at least 50% for individual patients, to assess the impact of temporary GES on gastric emptying times, EGG values, neuro-hormonal and autonomic status markers, and HRQOL measures, and to evaluate EGG ..
- DUODENOGASTRIC REFLUX IN HEALTH AND DISEASERonald Hinder; Fiscal Year: 1991..The pH environment is probably influenced by eating, changes in posture, DGR, gastric emptying and acid secretion, therefore the intraluminal pH environment will be mapped at different sites in the ..
- ETHANOL MODULATION OF ENTERIC NEUROTRANSMISSIONTerence Smith; Fiscal Year: 2000..GI) tract are particularly common, including decreased esophageal peristalsis, esophageal reflux, abnormal gastric emptying, hyperactive bowel and diarrhea...
- Novel Evaluation & Treatment of Gastric DysmotilityHENRY PAUL PARKMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..These include electrogastrography, a scintigraphic test to simultaneously assess gastric emptying and volume, and a capsule that records both pH and pressure to provide an assessment of gastric residence ..
- Intermedin / AM2 in Human PregnancyMADHU LATA CHAUHAN; Fiscal Year: 2009..to lower blood pressure in normal and hypertensive rats, exhibits cardioprotective effects and suppress gastric emptying and food intake and is regulated by estrogen...
- ADAPTIVE ELECTRIC CURRENT COMPUTED TOMOGRAPHY SYSTEMJONATHAN NEWELL; Fiscal Year: 1990..Gastric secretion and gastric emptying are of interest in several pathological states, and preliminary studies suggest the use of impedance ..
- SPINAL & BRAIN MODULATION OF GASTROINTESTINAL MOTILITYFrank Porreca; Fiscal Year: 1992..The endpoints to be studied are all standard in our laboratory and include determination of gastric emptying and small and large bowel transit, stomach and intestinal intraluminal pressure in the rat as will as GI ..
- UPPER GI TRACT MEDIATION OF THE SATIETY EFFECTS OF FATSJames Gibbs; Fiscal Year: 1999..This will be accomplished by: (1) Determining the gastric emptying rates and the compositions of the various lipid moieties that enter the intestine when fats of different ..
- TOPICAL DRUG DELIVERY FOR GASTRIC H. PYLORI INFECTIONCatherine Woods; Fiscal Year: 2000..profile, the degree of gelation, gelation temperature, and effect of excipients will be correlated with gastric emptying times in human volunteers as determined by scintography...
- ELECTRICAL CONTROL OF GASTRODUODENAL MOTILITYKENTON SANDERS; Fiscal Year: 2003b>Gastric emptying is regulated by pressures and resistances across the gastroduodenal junction (GDJ). These factors are produced by the muscular activities of the stomach, pyloric sphincter and proximal small intestine...
- NON-INVASIVE BREATH TEST FOR MEASURING GASTRIC EMPTYINGKEITH GOODMAN; Fiscal Year: 2000..The test will be used to identify patients with gastroparesis (impaired gastric emptying) and monitor the effectiveness of their treatment...
- Novel direct vago-vagal recording of i.v. ghrelin actionDavid Adelson; Fiscal Year: 2007..Increased circulating levels of ghrelin are associated with increased hunger, food intake, and gastric emptying. This latter function is of interest due to the clinical importance of postoperative gastric ileus and the ..
- Treatment of diabetic gastroparesis with nitric oxideRobert Raulli; Fiscal Year: 2007..a currently used but problematic treatment), and a study of how NO affects the physiological mechanisms of gastric emptying. Successful completion of the specific aims of the proposal will definitively determine the feasibility of ..
- THERAPEUTIC POTENTIAL OF INTESTINAL PACING FOR OBESITYJiande Chen; Fiscal Year: 2003..aims are: 1) to study the effect of intestinal electrical stimulation on gastric tone/contractions as well as gastric emptying and to derive the most effective stimulation method that inhibits gastric motility; 2) to investigate the ..
- ELECTRICAL STIMULATION FOR TREATMENT OF GASTROPARESISJiande Chen; Fiscal Year: 1999..The second sets of experiments will be performed to investigate the effect of the proposed method on gastric emptying. Delayed gastric emptying of liquid and solid in dogs will be induced using duodenal distension and clonidine,..
- Treatment of Gastroparesis with Multi-Channel PacingZhiyue Lin; Fiscal Year: 2005..It is hypothesized that MGS will result in accelerated gastric emptying of solids and improved symptoms of gastroparesis and quality of life...
- EFFECT OF ALCOHOL ON GASTRIC MOTOR FUNCTIONLINDA KNIGHT; Fiscal Year: 1991..It has not been shown, however, how the electrical/mechanical activity of gastric muscle ex vivo relates to gastric emptying in vivo...
- GASTRIC MOTILITY IN THE NEWBORNJames Ryan; Fiscal Year: 1991..Furthermore, it is not known how (or if) the postnatal changes in contractility affect gastric emptying. Therefore, the purpose of this study is to: 1) define the biochemical, contractile, and electrical ..
- WASTING IN AIDS--ROLE OF MONOKINESBruce Bistrian; Fiscal Year: 1993..whole body and individual tissue protein kinetics, fat and glucose metabolism, and, most recently, gastric emptying. We have also shown that some of these changes (fever and leucine oxidation in response to IL-1, shock and ..
- ORAL, GASTRIC AND POSTGASTRIC CONTRIBUTIONS TO SATIETYJoel Kaplan; Fiscal Year: 2005..Analysis of gastric emptying is central to this research program insofar as emptying determines the proportion of the ingested load that ..
- Cannabinoid Mechanisms in Human Gastrointestinal Motor and Sensory FunctionsMICHAEL L CAMILLERI; Fiscal Year: 2010..These actions may be relevant to develop new treatments for IBS. The studies will also provide further understanding of the potential of medications like medical marijuana on stomach function that may be relevant to appetite control. ..
- ALPHA 2 ADRENERGIC CONTROL IN IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROMEMichael Camilleri; Fiscal Year: 2008..Significance: This project will characterize pharmacogenetic mechanisms determining the response to clonidine through studies of candidate genes that control alpha2-adrenoreceptor function and norepinephrine transport in IBS. ..
- ALPHA-2 ADRENERGIC CONTROL OF COLONIC FUNCTION IN IBSMichael Camilleri; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- POSTNATAL DEVELOPMENT OF HOMEOSTATIC NEURAL CONTROLSLinda Rinaman; Fiscal Year: 1999..use physiological and behavioral methods to analyze the ontogeny of "dehydration anorexia" and inhibition of gastric emptying following stimulation of osmoreceptors in the basal forebrain that communicate through oxytocinergic ..
- NEUROTENSIN AND ENTEROHEPATIC BILE ACID REGULATIONRobert Carraway; Fiscal Year: 1999..from the applicant's abstract): Neurotensin (NT), released from the intestine by ingestion of fat, slows gastric emptying, stimulates pancreatic secretion, and enhances the uptake of fatty acids...
- REGULATION OF FOOD INTAKE--BRAIN AND GUT MEDIATORSTheodore Pappas; Fiscal Year: 1993..4. Determine whether there is a relationship between the central effect of CCK/NPY on feeding and gastric emptying. 5...
- RAPID PORTABLE DETECTION OF DELAYED GASTRIC EMPTYINGHansen Mansy; Fiscal Year: 1999The proposed research is to develop an innovative technology for the rapid diagnosis of delayed gastric emptying. The new technology is expected to overcome limitations of the current methods which may include radiation exposure, accuracy,..