Summary: The normal process of elimination of fecal material from the RECTUM.
Publications278 found, 100 shown here
- Stool form scale as a useful guide to intestinal transit timeS J Lewis
University Dept of Medicine, Bristol Royal Infirmary, UK
Scand J Gastroenterol 32:920-4. 1997..We set out to assess the responsiveness of the Bristol stool form scale to change in transit time...
- Effects of hygiene and defecation behavior on helminths and intestinal protozoa infections in Taabo, Côte d'IvoireThomas Schmidlin
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, Basel, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 8:e65722. 2013..The global strategy to control helminthiases is the regular administration of anthelmintic drugs to at-risk populations. However, rapid re-infection occurs in areas where hygiene, access to clean water, and sanitation are inadequate...
- A placebo-controlled trial of prucalopride for severe chronic constipationMichael Camilleri
College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
N Engl J Med 358:2344-54. 2008..In this 12-week trial, we aimed to determine the efficacy of prucalopride, a selective, high-affinity 5-hydroxytryptamine4 receptor agonist, in patients with severe chronic constipation...
- Prucalopride (Resolor) in the treatment of severe chronic constipation in patients dissatisfied with laxativesJ Tack
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Gut 58:357-65. 2009..To determine the efficacy, impact on quality of life (QOL) and safety of prucalopride, a selective, high-affinity 5-HT(4) receptor agonist, in patients with chronic constipation...
- Chronic constipationAnthony Lembo
Gastroenterology Division, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
N Engl J Med 349:1360-8. 2003
- Childhood constipation: is there new light in the tunnel?M A Benninga
Department of Paediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, Emma Children s Hospital, Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 39:448-64. 2004
- Effects of a probiotic fermented milk beverage containing Lactobacillus casei strain Shirota on defecation frequency, intestinal microbiota, and the intestinal environment of healthy individuals with soft stoolsKazumasa Matsumoto
Yakult Central Institute for Microbiological Research, 1796 Yaho, Kunitachi, Tokyo, 186 8650, Japan
J Biosci Bioeng 110:547-52. 2010..casei strain Shirota (LcS) at 40 billion bacterial cells/bottle for 4 weeks (probiotics, 1 bottle/day) on defecation frequency, intestinal microbiota and the intestinal environment of healthy individuals with soft stools were ..
- A new concept of the anatomy of the anal sphincter mechanism and the physiology of defecation: mass contraction of the pelvic floor musclesA Shafik
Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, Egypt
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 9:28-32. 1998..However, besides this mass contraction, a voluntary 'selective' individual muscle activity exists by which each individual muscle acts independently of the others...
- Prophylaxis of pouchitis onset with probiotic therapy: a double-blind, placebo-controlled trialPaolo Gionchetti
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Bologna, Italy
Gastroenterology 124:1202-9. 2003..The aim of this study was to compare probiotic therapy with VSL#3 versus placebo in the ability to prevent the onset of acute pouchitis during the first year after ileal pouch-anal anastomosis...
- Constipation: evaluation and treatmentSatish S C Rao
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Gastroenterol Clin North Am 32:659-83. 2003..excessive straining, hard stools, feeling of incomplete evacuation, use of digital maneuvers, or infrequent defecation. Although many conditions, such as metabolic problems, fiber deficiency, anorectal problems, and drugs, can ..
- Factors associated with defecation patterns in 0-24-month-old childrenVildan Taylan Tunc
Department of Family Practice, Ankara Numune Research and Education Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Pediatr 167:1357-62. 2008To identify the normal defecation patterns and the factors affecting these patterns in the first two years of life, a questionnaire was given to the parents of 1,021 children who were followed in a well-child clinic...
- Clinical trial: the efficacy, impact on quality of life, and safety and tolerability of prucalopride in severe chronic constipation--a 12-week, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyE M M Quigley
Alimentary Pharmabiotic Centre, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 29:315-28. 2009..Chronic constipation may result in disabling symptoms, is often unsatisfactorily treated by laxatives and negatively impacts quality of life (QoL)...
- Genetic analysis of defecation in Caenorhabditis elegansJ H Thomas
Department of Genetics, University of Washington, Seattle 98195
Genetics 124:855-72. 1990b>Defecation in the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans is achieved by a cyclical stereotyped motor program...
- Prucalopride, a systemic enterokinetic, for the treatment of constipationA V Emmanuel
St Mark s Hospital, Harrow, Middlesex, UK
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 16:1347-56. 2002..Laxatives are frequently ineffective in treating constipation. An alternative therapeutic approach is to target serotonin-4 receptors, which are involved in initiating peristalsis...
- What keeps C. elegans regular: the genetics of defecationRobyn Branicky
Department of Biology, McGill University, 1205 Docteur Penfield Avenue, Montreal, Quebec H3A 1B1, Canada
Trends Genet 22:571-9. 2006..b>Defecation is one of the simpler behaviors, involving a small number of muscles, a couple of neurons and only one ..
- Clinical trial: the efficacy of open-label prucalopride treatment in patients with chronic constipation - follow-up of patients from the pivotal studiesM Camilleri
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 32:1113-23. 2010..Prucalopride is approved in Europe for symptomatic treatment of chronic constipation in women with inadequate relief from laxatives...
- A novel water-soluble selective CRF1 receptor antagonist, NBI 35965, blunts stress-induced visceral hyperalgesia and colonic motor function in ratsMulugeta Million
CURE Digestive Diseases Research Center and Center for Neurovisceral Sciences and Women s Health CNS, West Los Angeles VA Medical Center, Department of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Brain Res 985:32-42. 2003..NBI 35965 (20 mg/kg s.c.) significantly reduced the defecation in response to water avoidance stress but not that induced by s.c. carbachol...
- Neonatal maternal separation alters stress-induced responses to viscerosomatic nociceptive stimuli in ratS V Coutinho
UCLA CURE Neuroenteric Disease Program and Brain Research Institute, Department of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles School of Medicine, 11301 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 282:G307-16. 2002....
- Probiotic beverage containing Lactobacillus casei Shirota improves gastrointestinal symptoms in patients with chronic constipationCorinna Koebnick
Department of Interventional Studies, German Institute of Human Nutrition, Bergholz Rehbrücke, Germany
Can J Gastroenterol 17:655-9. 2003..The aim of the present study was to investigate the effect of a probiotic beverage on gastrointestinal symptoms in patients with chronic constipation...
- A probiotic mixture alleviates symptoms in irritable bowel syndrome patients: a controlled 6-month interventionK Kajander
Valio Ltd, Research Centre, Helsinki, Finland
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 22:387-94. 2005..Irritable bowel syndrome is a gastrointestinal disorder of unknown aetiology. The effect of probiotics in this syndrome remains unclear...
- Supplementation of a bovine milk formula with an oligosaccharide mixture increases counts of faecal bifidobacteria in preterm infantsG Boehm
Numico Research Germany, Friedrichsdorf, Germany
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 86:F178-81. 2002..The establishment of a balanced intestinal microflora which may protect against infection is desirable for the preterm infant...
- Advances in diagnostic assessment of fecal incontinence and dyssynergic defecationSatish S C Rao
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 8:910-9. 2010..This article provides an up-to-date review on the role of diagnostic tests in the evaluation of fecal incontinence and constipation with dyssynergic defecation.
- Water handling, sanitation and defecation practices in rural southern India: a knowledge, attitudes and practices studyKalyan Banda
Christian Medical College, Vellore, India
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 101:1124-30. 2007..on water safety, we documented knowledge, attitudes and practices of water handling and usage, sanitation and defecation in rural Tamilnadu, India, using questionnaires and focus group discussions, in a village divided into an upper ..
- Contributions of altered permeability of intestinal barrier and defecation behavior to toxicity formation from graphene oxide in nematode Caenorhabditis elegansQiuli Wu
Key Laboratory of Environmental Medicine Engineering in Ministry of Education, Medical School of Southeast University, Nanjing 210009, China
Nanoscale 5:9934-43. 2013..Prolonged exposure to GO resulted in a hyper-permeable state of the intestinal barrier, an increase in mean defecation cycle length, and alteration of genes required for intestinal development and defecation behavior...
- Intestinal Ca2+ wave dynamics in freely moving C. elegans coordinate execution of a rhythmic motor programK Nehrke
Dept of Medicine, Nephrology Division, Medical Center Box 675, 601 Elmwood Ave, Rochester NY 14642, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 294:C333-44. 2008b>Defecation in the nematode worm Caenorhabditis elegans is a highly rhythmic behavior that is regulated by a Ca(2+) wave generated in the 20 epithelial cells of the intestine, in part through activation of the inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate ..
- Neuropeptide secreted from a pacemaker activates neurons to control a rhythmic behaviorHan Wang
Graduate Program in Genetic, Molecular and Cellular Biology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Curr Biol 23:746-54. 2013..During the defecation motor program in C...
- The inositol trisphosphate receptor regulates a 50-second behavioral rhythm in C. elegansP Dal Santo
Department of Biology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City 84112 0840, USA
Cell 98:757-67. 1999The C. elegans defecation cycle is characterized by the contraction of three distinct sets of muscles every 50 s...
- Relationship between lifestyle factors and defecation in a Japanese populationShigeyuki Nakaji
Department of Hygiene, Hirosaki University School of Medicine, 5 Zaifu cho, Japan
Eur J Nutr 41:244-8. 2002There is a paucity of accurate data regarding any association in the general population between defecation and lifestyle factors such as diet, exercise, physique, and childbirth.
- A double-blind, placebo-controlled study of prucalopride in elderly patients with chronic constipationS Muller-Lissner
Park Klinik Weissensee, Berlin, Germany
Neurogastroenterol Motil 22:991-8, e255. 2010..Constipation affects up to 50% of the elderly; this study evaluates the efficacy, safety, and tolerability of the selective 5-HT(4) agonist prucalopride in chronically constipated elderly patients...
- A population-based study on bowel habits in a Korean community: prevalence of functional constipation and self-reported constipationDae Won Jun
Department of Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology Division, Hanyang University Hospital, 17 Haeng dang dong Sung dong gu, Seoul 133 792, Republic of Korea
Dig Dis Sci 51:1471-7. 2006..Of all subjects 95.6% had a defecation frequency of between three per week and three per day. The prevalence was 16...
- Peripheral corticotropin-releasing factor and stress-stimulated colonic motor activity involve type 1 receptor in ratsC Maillot
CURE Digestive Diseases Research Center, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, California 90073, USA
Gastroenterology 119:1569-79. 2000..CRF has preferential affinity for CRF-R1, whereas urocortin displays high affinity for both. We investigated changes in colonic motor function after intraperitoneal (IP) injection of CRF-related peptides...
- Electro-acupuncture attenuates stress-induced defecation in rats with chronic visceral hypersensitivity via serotonergic pathwayXiao Yu Tian
School of Chinese Medicine, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong SAR
Brain Res 1088:101-8. 2006..Thus, it can be concluded that EA attenuates behavioral hyperalgesia and stress-induced colonic motor dysfunction in CVH rats via serotonergic pathway...
- Does mode of hysterectomy influence micturition and defecation?J P Roovers
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 80:945-51. 2001Hysterectomy may affect bladder and bowel function. A retrospective study was performed to compare the prevalence of micturition and defecation symptoms between different modes of hysterectomy.
- Increased stool frequency occurs when finely processed pea hull fiber is added to usual foods consumed by elderly residents in long-term careWendy J Dahl
College of Pharmacy and Nutrition, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
J Am Diet Assoc 103:1199-202. 2003..001). With treatment, prune-based laxative administration decreased (P<.001). Thus, addition of a moderate amount of finely processed fiber to foods results in increased bowel frequency in institutionalized elderly individuals...
- Altered bile acid metabolism in childhood functional constipation: inactivation of secretory bile acids by sulfation in a subset of patientsAlan F Hofmann
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0063, USA
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 47:598-606. 2008..To test this possibility, fecal bile acid composition was determined in children with functional constipation and in nonconstipated control children...
- Tolerance and safety of Lactobacillus paracasei ssp. paracasei in combination with Bifidobacterium animalis ssp. lactis in a prebiotic-containing infant formula: a randomised controlled trialArine M Vlieger
Department of Paediatrics, St Antonius Hospital, Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
Br J Nutr 102:869-75. 2009..The use of a prebiotic-containing starter formula supplemented with L. paracasei ssp. paracasei and B. animalis ssp. lactis in early infancy is safe, well tolerated and has no adverse effects on growth and infant behaviour...
- Pathophysiology of constipation in the older adultG Lindsay McCrea
Department of Physiological Nursing, University of California, San Francisco 94143, United States
World J Gastroenterol 14:2631-8. 2008This review provides information on the definition of constipation, normal continence and defecation and a description of the pathophysiologic mechanisms of constipation...
- [Observation on therapeutic effect of electroacupuncture at Tianshu (ST 25) with deep needling technique on functional constipation]Cheng Wei Wang
Department of Integrated Chinese and Western Medicine, West China Hospital of Sichuan University, Chengdu 610041, China
Zhongguo Zhen Jiu 30:705-8. 2010..To probe into a better therapeutic method for functional constipation...
- TRPM channel function in Caenorhabditis elegansH A Baylis
Department of Zoology, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3EJ, UK
Biochem Soc Trans 35:129-32. 2007..elegans. In addition, perturbing the function of gon-2 and gtl-1 disrupts the ultradian defecation rhythm in C...
- Influence of severity of illness, medication and selective decontamination on defecationJohan I van der Spoel
Onze Lieve Vrouwe Gasthuis, Department of Intensive Care, Oosterpark 9, 1091 AC Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Intensive Care Med 32:875-80. 2006To describe the pattern of defecation in critically ill ventilated patients and the influence of selective decontamination (SDD) and other medication.
- Oral administration of two probiotic strains, Lactobacillus gasseri CECT5714 and Lactobacillus coryniformis CECT5711, enhances the intestinal function of healthy adultsMonica Olivares
Immunology and Animal Science Department, Puleva Biotech SA, Camino de Purchil 66, 18004 Granada, Spain
Int J Food Microbiol 107:104-11. 2006..As a result, the volunteers assigned to the probiotic group perceived a clear improvement in their intestinal habits. The study revealed that probiotics may exert a positive effect on healthy adults...
- [Defecation index and reproductive success of Triatoma maculata (Hemiptera: Reduviidae) under laboratory conditions]E Aldana
Laboratorio de Entomologia Herman Lent, Dpto Biologia, Fac Ciencias, La Hechicera, Merida, Venezuela fax 58
Rev Biol Trop 52:927-30. 2004..These results support evidences explaining the lesser vectorial capacity and low density of T. maculata in human domiciles, including reduced reproduction and defecation when the animal feeds on human blood.
- Comparison of straining during defecation in three positions: results and implications for human healthDov Sikirov
Dig Dis Sci 48:1201-5. 2003The aim of the study was to compare the straining forces applied when sitting or squatting during defecation. Twenty-eight apparently healthy volunteers (ages 17-66 years) with normal bowel function were asked to use a digital timer to ..
- Nest sanitation through defecation: antifungal properties of wood cockroach fecesRebeca B Rosengaus
Department of Marine and Environmental Sciences, Northeastern University, 134 Mugar Life Sciences Building, 360 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA, 02115 5000, USA
Naturwissenschaften 100:1051-9. 2013..We tested the hypothesis that defecation within their nests, a common occurrence in this species, reduces the probability of fungal development...
- Effects of regular physical activity on defecation pattern in middle-aged patients complaining of chronic constipationAnneke M De Schryver
Gastrointestinal Research Unit, Department of Gastroenterology, University Medical Centre, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Scand J Gastroenterol 40:422-9. 2005..The aim of this study was to test the influence of regular PA on colonic transit time and defecation in middle-aged inactive patients suffering from chronic idiopathic constipation.
- Exfoliation of the epidermal cells and defecation by amphibian larvae in response to coelomic fluid and lysenin from the earthworm Eisenia foetidaHideshi Kobayashi
Research Laboratory, Zenyaku Kogyo Co, Ltd, Ohizumimachi, Tokyo, Japan
Biomed Res 27:169-81. 2006..The induction of exfoliation by CF and lysenin was also observed in other amphibian species. In Bufo larvae, defecation was induced both by CF and by lysenin but this effect was independent of exfoliation.
- Locomotor activity and defecation of rats observed alone and in pairs in repeated open-field sessionsH G Weijers
Universitäts Nervenklinik, Julius Maximilians Universitat Wurzburg, Germany
Percept Mot Skills 86:1179-84. 1998Several experiments with independent groups have shown social effects on open-field defecation and locomotor activity in male rats...
- Effects of brewer's yeast cell wall on constipation and defecation in experimentally constipated ratsT Nakamura
Applied Bioresearch Center, Corporate Research and Development Department, Kirin Brewery Co, Ltd, Takasaki, Gunma, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 65:774-80. 2001..The dose-response of BYC and the effect on defecation by constipated experimental rats were also compared with the characteristics of cellulose diet (CE) group which ..
- Antidiarrhoeal properties of a novel sigma ligand (JO 2871) on toxigenic diarrhoea in mice: mechanisms of actionV Theodorou
Ecole Superieure d Agriculture de Purpan, 75 voie du Toec, 31076 Toulouse, France
Gut 51:522-8. 2002..In this study, we evaluated: (i) the antidiarrhoeal effect of JO 2871, a high affinity sigma ligand, in three models of toxigenic diarrhoea in mice; and (ii) the site and mechanism of action of this compound...
- Role of CRF receptor 1 in central CRF-induced stimulation of colonic propulsion in ratsV Martinez
CURE Digestive Diseases Research Center, Veterans Administration Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Department of Medicine, Digestive Disease Division and Brain Research Institute, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Brain Res 893:29-35. 2001..CRF (0.6 microg/rat) injected intracerebroventicularly (i.c.v.) or 1 h water avoidance stress stimulated defecation (pellet/60 min: 4.1+/-1.0 and 8.7+/-0.7 respectively vs. 0.3+/-0.3 in i.c.v. vehicle/no stress)...
- Rectal hyposensitivity is uncommon and unlikely to be the central cause of obstructed defecation in patients with high-grade internal rectal prolapseN A Wijffels
Oxford Pelvic Floor Centre, Surgery and Diagnostics, Churchill Hospital, Oxford, UK
Neurogastroenterol Motil 23:151-4, e30. 2011There are several causes of obstructed defecation one of which is thought to be internal rectal prolapse...
- [Effect of electroacupuncture of Tianshu (ST 25) on the rational symptoms of functional constipation patients and evaluation on its efficacy satisfaction: a single-center, prospective, practical and randomized control trial]Cheng Wei Wang
Department of Integrated Chinese and Western Medicine, West China Hospital of Sichuan Universty, Chengdu 610041, China
Zhen Ci Yan Jiu 35:375-9. 2010..To observe the effects of electroacupuncture (EA) of Tianshu (ST 25) and medication on the subjective symptoms and the satisfactory degree of functional constipation (FO) patients, and to evaluate the efficacy of different depth-needling...
- Mice overexpressing wild-type human alpha-synuclein display alterations in colonic myenteric ganglia and defecationL Wang
CURE Digestive Diseases Research Center and Center for Neurobiology of Stress, Department of Medicine, Division of Digestive Diseases, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles and Veteran Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 24:e425-36. 2012..We investigated functional gut alterations at earlier ages and histological correlates...
- An N-myristoylated globin with a redox-sensing function that regulates the defecation cycle in Caenorhabditis elegansLesley Tilleman
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
PLoS ONE 7:e48768. 2012..Phenotypical studies show that GLB-26 takes part in regulating the length of the defecation cycle in C. elegans under oxidative stress conditions.
- [Met-analysis on randomized controlled clinical trials of acupuncture and moxibustion on constipation]Wen Fei Du
College of Acupuncture and Tuina Massage, Changchun University of CM, Changchun 130117, Jilin Province, China
Zhongguo Zhen Jiu 32:92-6. 2012..To assess the efficacy of acupuncture and moxibustion on constipation...
- Symptoms of anal incontinence and difficult defecation among women with prolapse and a matched control cohortDaniel M Morgan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0276, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 197:509.e1-6. 2007The purpose of this study was to quantify the risk for anal incontinence and difficult defecation among women with prolapse by comparing them with women without prolapse of similar age, body mass index, race, and hysterectomy status, and ..
- Outcome of biofeedback therapy in dyssynergic defecation patients with and without irritable bowel syndromeTanisa Patcharatrakul
GI Motility Research Unit, Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Clin Gastroenterol 45:593-8. 2011The Rome II and III diagnostic criteria for dyssynergic defecation require the exclusion of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)...
- Behavioural treatment of the dyssynergic defecation in chronically constipated elderly patients: a randomized controlled trialMiguel A Simon
Department of Psychology, Research Group in Clinical and Health Psychology, University of A Coruna, A Coruna, Spain
Appl Psychophysiol Biofeedback 34:273-7. 2009..effectiveness of EMG-biofeedback in the treatment of chronically constipated elderly patients with dyssynergic defecation as compared to a control condition characterized by information about the bowel functioning and counseling ..
- Vaginal foreign body presenting as bleeding with defecation in a childHasan M Abdessamad
University Hospitals Case Medical Center MacDonald Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 22:e5-7. 2009..This case is unique in that the patient presented with bleeding with defecation, without vaginal bleeding. Vaginal foreign bodies can present with diverse symptomatology...
- Quality of life in children and adults with constipationArnold Wald
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Centennial Building, 4th Floor, 1685 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53705, United States
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 25:19-27. 2011..The emerging concept in the treatment of chronic constipation is to measure both objective measures such as frequency and ease of defecation and subjective parameters such as QOL.
- Rectal sensory perception in females with obstructed defecationM J Gosselink
Colorectal Research Group, Department of Surgery, Erasmus Medical Centre Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Dis Colon Rectum 44:1337-44. 2001..age, 48 (range, 20-70) years) and 100 female patients (median age, 50 (range, 18-75) years) with obstructed defecation entered the study...
- Efficacy and safety of bisacodyl in the acute treatment of constipation: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled studyS Kienzle-Horn
Scratch Pharmaberatung, Butzbach, Germany
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 23:1479-88. 2006..Although laxatives are a first-line treatment for constipation, there are few randomized placebo-controlled trials assessing their efficacy...
- The mood stabilizer valproate inhibits both inositol- and diacylglycerol-signaling pathways in Caenorhabditis elegansSuzumi M Tokuoka
MRC Cell Biology Unit, MRC Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology, Department of Neuroscience, Physiology, and Pharmacology, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
Mol Biol Cell 19:2241-50. 2008..VPA disrupts two behaviors regulated by the inositol-1,4,5-trisphosphate (IP(3)): defecation and ovulation. VPA also inhibits two activities regulated by DAG signaling: acetylcholine release and egg laying...
- Mechanisms controlling normal defecation and the potential effects of spinal cord injuryA F Brading
Oxford Continence Group, University Department of Pharmacology, Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3QT, UK
Prog Brain Res 152:345-58. 2006..an overview of the function and morphology of the normal distal gut in the human, and of gut behaviour in normal defecation. In humans, this can be monitored and is described, but knowledge of the mechanisms controlling it is limited...
- Chronic stress-induced alterations in mouse colonic 5-HT and defecation responses are strain dependentMarcela Julio-Pieper
Laboratory of Neurogastroenterology, Alimentary Pharmabiotic Centre, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
Stress 15:218-26. 2012..Adult male BALB/c and C57BL/6 mice were restrained for 2 h daily for 10 days. Defecation was monitored during each stress session...
- Contrasting effects of ghrelin and des-acyl ghrelin on the lumbo-sacral defecation center and regulation of colorectal motility in ratsH Hirayama
Laboratory of Physiology, Department of Basic Veterinary Science, The United Graduate School of Veterinary Sciences, Gifu University, Yanagido, Gifu, Japan
Neurogastroenterol Motil 22:1124-31. 2010..penetrant ghrelin receptor agonist enhances colorectal motility, through activation of the lumbo-sacral defecation center (L6-S1 region of the spinal cord) in rats...
- New insight into rectal function in pediatric defecation disorders: disturbed rectal compliance is an essential mechanism in pediatric constipationWieger P Voskuijl
Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, Emma Children s Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Pediatr 148:62-7. 2006..To evaluate rectal sensitivity in patients with pediatric constipation (PC) and nonretentive fecal soiling (FNRFS) using pressure-controlled distention (barostat)...
- The physiology of human defecationSomnath Palit
Academic Surgical Unit GI Physiology Unit, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Blizard Institute, Queen Mary University, London, UK
Dig Dis Sci 57:1445-64. 2012Human defecation involves integrated and coordinated sensorimotor functions, orchestrated by central, spinal, peripheral (somatic and visceral), and enteric neural activities, acting on a morphologically intact gastrointestinal tract (..
- Stimulation of defecation in spinal cord-injured rats by a centrally acting ghrelin receptor agonistD M Ferens
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Spinal Cord 49:1036-41. 2011..Animal proof of principle study...
- Investigation of the utility of colorectal function tests and Rome II criteria in dyssynergic defecation (Anismus)S S C Rao
Department of Internal Medicine and Clinical Research Center, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 16:589-96. 2004..A total of 100 patients with difficult defecation were prospectively evaluated with anorectal manometry, balloon expulsion, colonic transit and defecography...
- Inhibitory effects of ramosetron, a potent and selective 5-HT3-receptor antagonist, on conditioned fear stress-induced abnormal defecation and normal defecation in rats: comparative studies with antidiarrheal and spasmolytic agentsTakuya Hirata
Applied Pharmacology Research Laboratories, Drug Discovery Research, Astellas Pharma, Inc, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
J Pharmacol Sci 106:264-70. 2008..antagonist for irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea, on conditioned fear stress (CFS)-induced defecation and normal (non-stressed) defecation in rats and compared ramosetron with the antidiarrheal agent loperamide and ..
- The effect of mosapride citrate on constipation in patients with diabetesNaohiko Ueno
Department of Internal Medicine, Kobe Seaside Hospital, Hyogo, Japan
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 87:27-32. 2010..Since the receptors of 5-HT4 have been recently found in the lower intestine including the rectum in humans, we tested if mosapride improves constipation in diabetic patients...
- Rhythmic changes in colonic motility are regulated by period genesWillemijntje A Hoogerwerf
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, University of Michigan, VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System, 2215 Fuller Rd, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 298:G143-50. 2010..These findings suggest that rhythms in colonic motility are regulated by both clock genes and a nNOS-mediated inhibitory process and suggest a connection between these two mechanisms...
- [Clinical study on acupuncture for treatment of chronic functional constipation]Xun Jin
The First Clinical Medical College, Nanjing University of TCM, Nanjing 210029, China
Zhongguo Zhen Jiu 30:97-101. 2010..To discuss the effect of acupuncture for treatment of chronic functional constipation (CFC)...
- Parasympathetic extrinsic reflex: role in defecation mechanismAhmed Shafik
Department of Surgery and Experimental Research, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
World J Surg 26:737-40; discussion 741. 2002..the rectoanal inhibitory reflex, which acts through the ENP and is considered the main mechanism responsible for defecation. However, the role of the parasympathetic innervation compared to the role of the intrinsic mechanism of the ..
- Disappointing long-term outcomes after stapled transanal rectal resection for obstructed defecationKhaled M Madbouly
Department of Surgery, University of Alexandria, El Raml Station, Alexandria, Egypt
World J Surg 34:2191-6. 2010The aim of this study was to assess both short and long-term functional outcomes and the quality of life of patients treated with stapled transanal rectal resection (STARR) for obstructed defecation syndrome (ODS).
- Predictive capability of anorectal physiologic tests for unfavorable outcomes following biofeedback therapy in dyssynergic defecationJae Kook Shin
Department of Internal Medicine and Institute of Gastroenterology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 25:1060-5. 2010..tests for unfavorable outcomes prior to the initiation of biofeedback therapy in patients with dyssynergic defecation. We analyzed a total of 80 consecutive patients who received biofeedback therapy for chronic idiopathic ..
- Fox defecation behaviour in relation to spatial distribution of voles in an urbanised area: An increasing risk of transmission of Echinococcus multilocularis?E Robardet
French Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety Anses, Nancy Laboratory for Rabies and Wildlife, Technopole Agricole et Vétérinaire, BP 40009, 54220 Malzéville cedex, France
Int J Parasitol 41:145-54. 2011..found in urban wastelands and the well known predominance of Microtus spp. in the red fox diet in the region suggest that Microtus spp. may play a key role in urban transmission of the parasite in the study area...
- Small volume isosmotic polyethylene glycol electrolyte balanced solution (PMF-100) in treatment of chronic nonorganic constipationE Corazziari
Cattedra di Gastroenterologia I Universitá La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Dig Dis Sci 41:1636-42. 1996..8 +/- 2.3 vs placebo: 2.8 +/- 1.6; P < 0.002) and a significant decrease in straining at defecation (P < 0.01), stool consistency (P < 0.02), and use of laxatives (P < 0.03)...
- The use of probiotics in healthy volunteers with evacuation disorders and hard stools: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled studyMario Del Piano
Gastroenterology Independent Operating Unit, Maggiore della Carita Hospital, Rome, Italy
J Clin Gastroenterol 44:S30-4. 2010..Dietary supplementation with probiotic microorganisms may be useful in reducing the disorder...
- Medium-term results of stapled transanal rectal resection (STARR) for obstructed defecation and symptomatic rectal-anal intussusceptionA C Goede
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Frenchay Hospital, Bristol, UK
Colorectal Dis 13:1052-7. 2011..The aim of this study is to evaluate the medium to long-term outcomes of STARR for ODS...
- IRI-1, a LIN-15B homologue, interacts with inositol-1,4,5-triphosphate receptors and regulates gonadogenesis, defecation, and pharyngeal pumping in Caenorhabditis elegansDenise S Walker
Department of Zoology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, CB2 3EJ, United Kingdom
Mol Biol Cell 15:3073-82. 2004..Signaling through IP(3) and IP(3)Rs is important in ovulation, control of the defecation cycle, modulation of pharyngeal pumping rate, and embryogenesis...
- Patient satisfaction and symptomatic outcomes following stapled transanal rectal resection for obstructed defecation syndromeChirag B Patel
Division of Minimally Invasive Colon and Rectal Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, Texas 77054, USA
J Surg Res 165:e15-21. 2011Obstructed defecation syndrome (ODS) is recognized as a functional (e.g., anismus) and anatomic (e.g., rectocele and rectal intussusception) defecatory disorder of the pelvic floor...
- Revalidation of description of constipation in terms of recall bias and visual scale analog questionnaireOmer Nuri Pamuk
Department of Internal Medicine, Trakya University Medical School, Edirne, Turkey
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 18:1417-22. 2003..In addition, the importance of recall bias when evaluating constipation was investigated by repeating the questionnaire and ensuring the subjects maintained diaries...
- Efficacy of tegaserod in chronic constipation in menMichael Fried
University Hospital Zurich, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Zurich, Switzerland
Am J Gastroenterol 102:362-70. 2007..This multicenter study evaluated the efficacy and safety of tegaserod, a selective 5-HT(4) agonist and promotility agent, in men with chronic constipation...
- A multicentre study of the management of disorders of defecation in patients with spina bifidaJ L Lemelle
Service de Chirurgie Infantile, Hôpital d Enfants, CHU de Nancy, Vandoeuvre les Nancy, France
Neurogastroenterol Motil 18:123-8. 2006..This study provides information on a multicentre experience in bowel management in SB patients. Whatever the technique used, ACE has improved faecal status compared with conventional therapy...
- The impact of stapled transanal rectal resection on anorectal function in patients with obstructed defecation syndromeGiuliano Reboa
U O General Surgery, Colo Rectal Unit, A O U San Martino, Genoa, Italy
Dis Colon Rectum 52:1598-604. 2009..of patients was performed in order to identify those eligible for stapled transanal rectal resection to correct obstructed defecation syndrome. The aim was to assess the consequences of surgery on anorectal function and patient outcomes.
- Stapled transanal rectal resection for obstructed defecation syndrome: one-year results of the European STARR RegistryD G Jayne
Academic Unit of Medicine, Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds, United Kingdom
Dis Colon Rectum 52:1205-12; discussion 1212-4. 2009Stapled transanal rectal resection is advocated for the treatment of obstructed defecation syndrome. Supporting evidence for its safety and effectiveness has been lacking...
- Increase of colonic mast cells in obstructed defecation and their relationship with enteric gliaGabrio Bassotti
Gastroenterology and Hepatology Section, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
Dig Dis Sci 57:65-71. 2012..Mast cells are involved in visceral hypersensitivity and motor activity of the gastrointestinal tract. However, there is almost no information concerning mast cells in constipated patients...
- Self-perceived normality in defecation habitsM Bellini
Gastroenterology Section, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pisa, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 38:103-8. 2006..Available information on normal bowel habits was mainly gathered by means of telephone interviews or mailed questionnaires...
- Feeding and defecation behavior of Triatoma rubida (Uhler, 1894) (Hemiptera: Reduviidae) under laboratory conditions, and its potential role as a vector of Chagas disease in Arizona, USACarolina E Reisenman
Department of Neuroscience, College of Science, University of Arizona, Tucson, 85721 0077, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 85:648-56. 2011..We thus studied the feeding and defecation behaviors of the prevalent species in southern Arizona, Triatoma rubida...
- Giant vesical diverticulum: a rare cause of defecation disturbanceSami Akbulut
Department of Surgery, Diyarbakir Education and Research Hospital, Diyarbakir, 21400, Turkey
World J Gastroenterol 15:3957-9. 2009..We performed a diverticulectomy and primary closure. Twelve months postoperatively, the patient had no difficulty with voiding or defecation.
- Factor analysis identifies subgroups of constipationPhilip G Dinning
Department of Gastroenterology, St George Hospital, University of New South Wales, Kogarah, NSW 2217, Australia
World J Gastroenterol 17:1468-74. 2011..To determine whether distinct symptom groupings exist in a constipated population and whether such grouping might correlate with quantifiable pathophysiological measures of colonic dysfunction...
- Do stool form and frequency correlate with whole-gut and colonic transit? Results from a multicenter study in constipated individuals and healthy controlsRichard J Saad
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 105:403-11. 2010..The aim of this study was to assess the correlation between stool characteristics (form and frequency) and gut transit in constipated and healthy adults...
- Actions of prostanoids to induce emesis and defecation in the ferretKelvin K W Kan
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, N T, SAR, Hong Kong, China
Eur J Pharmacol 453:299-308. 2002Several prostanoids were investigated for their ability to induce emesis and/or defecation and tenesmus in the ferret...
- Colorectal motility and defecation after spinal cord injury in humansA C Lynch
Colorectal Unit, Department of Surgery, Christchurch Hospital and Burwood Spinal Unit, Christchurch, New Zealand
Prog Brain Res 152:335-43. 2006..The underlying physiology of colorectal motility and defecation is reviewed, and consequences of spinal cord injury on defecation are reported...
- Functional defecation disorder as a clinical subgroup of chronic constipation: analysis of symptoms and physiological parametersMark T Eltringham
Wansbeck General Hospital, Ashington, Northumberland, UK
Scand J Gastroenterol 43:262-9. 2008..constipation can be classified according to symptoms and physiological parameters as either having a disorder of defecation or having normal defecation...
- Therapeutic effect of Novalac-IT in infants with constipationHsun Chin Chao
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Pediatrics, Chang Gung Children s Hospital, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University Medical College, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Nutrition 23:469-73. 2007..Infant constipation is a frequent condition in formula-fed infants...
- Pregabalin inhibits accelerated defecation and decreased colonic nociceptive threshold in sensitized ratsKatsuyo Ohashi-Doi
Discovery Research, Pfizer Global Research and Development, Nagoya Laboratories, Aichi, Japan
Eur J Pharmacol 643:107-12. 2010..Moreover, pregabalin was more potent in reducing disturbed defecation compared with reduction in nociceptive threshold to distension in TNBS-sensitized rats...
- Imaging of obstructed defecationA Ganeshan
Radiology Department, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
Clin Radiol 63:18-26. 2008..problem in the western world, which occurs as a consequence of impaired colonic transit and/or due to obstructed defecation. Imaging plays an important role in distinguishing structural from functional causes of constipation...
- Inhibition of phosphodiesterase type 4 decreases stress-induced defecation in rats and miceFrank C Barone
Discovery Research, High Throughput Biology, GlaxoSmithKline, King of Prussia, PA 19406, USA
Pharmacology 81:11-7. 2008..In this study, the effects of PDE4 inhibition were assessed in a model of stress-induced defecation previously demonstrated to be due to increased colonic transit/evacuation.
- Intranasal CNS delivery of drugs against organophosphorous threat agentsARYAN MANGALAM NAMBOODIRI; Fiscal Year: 2013..and neuromuscular junctions leading to symptoms of acute CTA poisoning including salivation, lacrimation, defecation, muscular twitching, seizures/status epilepticus and ultimately rapid death due to respiratory failure...
- Effects of spinal cord injury on vagal afferents from the rat bladder and colon.April N Herrity; Fiscal Year: 2013..Equally important in chronic SCI is a loss of conscious control of defecation. Patients develop a neurogenic bowel that includes constipation, fecal impaction and incontinence, and increased ..
- Protocol- vs Patient-Oriented TCM Practices: A RCT for IBS Symptom ManagementJoyce K Anastasi; Fiscal Year: 2012..has been defined as abdominal pain/discomfort in the mid or lower gastrointestinal (Gl) tract, associated with defecation or a change in bowel patterns with features of disordered defecation...
- Control of motility in the internal anal sphincterKathleen D Keef; Fiscal Year: 2013..Relaxation of contraction is an essential feature of defecation, and this is regulated by input from inhibitory nerves...
- Producing micturition by combined afferent and effernet electrical stimulationKenneth J Gustafson; Fiscal Year: 2010..Other effects of the rhizotomy (loss of remaining sensation, reflex sexual function and reflex defecation) limit the clinical acceptance of this procedure...
- Device to Improve Treatment of Colorectal Cancer Using O2 Dependent PhosphorescenJASON MATTHEW ZAND; Fiscal Year: 2010..local abscess formation - requiring procedural drainage, tumor recurrence, debilitating pain, dysfunctional defecation, and overwhelming bacterial sepsis resulting in death...
- Bladder and Sphincter Control after Spinal Cord InjuryChangfeng Tai; Fiscal Year: 2012..Dorsal rhizotomy is destructive and irreversible, and results in the loss of reflex sexual function and reflex defecation. Our new approach will utilize the remaining and newly emerged spinal reflexes after SCI to restore the lost ..
- Symptom management for irritable bowel syndrome constipation (IBS-C)Joyce K Anastasi; Fiscal Year: 2013..IBS is defined as abdominal pain/discomfort in the mid or lower gastrointestinal (GI) tract, associated with defecation or a change in bowel patterns with features of disordered defecation...
- Architectural Design of the Pelvic Floor Skeletal MusclesMarianna Alperin; Fiscal Year: 2013..complex dual role: provide support to the pelvic viscera and aid in continence, as well as facilitate urination, defecation, and parturition...
- Investigation of calcium signaling in Caenorhabditis elegansKenneth Norman; Fiscal Year: 2013..These rhythmic behaviors include pharyngeal pumping, ovulation and fertilization, and defecation. To understand the mechanism(s) VAV-1 utilizes to regulate calcium oscillations and these rhythmic behaviors, we ..
- Novel Treatment Strategies for Constipation and Role of Brain-Gut axisSATISH SC RAO; Fiscal Year: 2011..Through the previous application, we showed that biofeedback improved dyssynergic defecation and led to superior patient satisfaction...
- Device to Improve Treatment of Colorectal CA using O2 Dependent PhosphorescenceJASON MATTHEW ZAND; Fiscal Year: 2013..The sequela of anastomotic leak can include local abscess formation, debilitating pain, dysfunctional defecation, overwhelming bacterial sepsis, and death...
- Pudendal Nerve Block Neural ProsthesisKenneth J Gustafson; Fiscal Year: 2012..Other effects of the rhizotomy (loss of remaining sensation, reflex sexual function and reflex defecation) limit the clinical acceptance of this procedure...
- Serotonin Transporter Gene Re-Sequencing in Patients with Irritable Bowel SundromRuth Kohen; Fiscal Year: 2012..GI) disorder characterized by symptoms of abdominal pain or discomfort associated with disturbed defecation. Patients with IBS suffer from a high degree of psychiatric comorbidity, in particular depression, anxiety, and ..
- A Device to Reduce Anastomotic Failure in the Treatment of Colorectal CancerJASON ZAND; Fiscal Year: 2009..local abscess formation - requiring procedural drainage, tumor recurrence, debilitating pain, dysfunctional defecation, and overwhelming bacterial sepsis resulting in death...
- Anxiolytic Property of Atypical AntipsychoticsMing Li; Fiscal Year: 2009..g., body temperature, defecation, urination, ultrasonic vocalization), which enable evaluation of the anxiolytic properties of various ..
- PHYSIOCHEMICAL EFFECTS OF DIETARY FIBER IN HUMANSJUDITH MARLETT; Fiscal Year: 1991..concentrations, composition and solubility; microbial mass; fiber digestibility; stool weight; transit time; defecation frequency; fecal pH and redox potential...
- MALE UROGENITAL FUNCTION AND CHRONIC SPINAL CORD INJURYCharles Hubscher; Fiscal Year: 2009Deficits in ejaculation, urination, and defecation are among of the most devastating outcomes of spinal cord injury (SCI), severely affecting quality of life...
- IDENTIFICATION & ANALYSES OF THE UROFACIAL SYNDROME GENEJin Xiong She; Fiscal Year: 2001..is believed that the lesion may reside in the brain regions that coordinate muscle actions, such as micturition, defecation and facial muscle movement...
- Drug-Induced Lipid Accumulation in C. elegansDonard Dwyer; Fiscal Year: 2006..Analysis of several simple behaviors, including pharyngeal pumping, locomotion, feeding, and defecation, will rule out non-specific effects of the drugs...
- SAFETY AND EFFECTIVENESS OF LARGE VOLUME ENEMA SOLUTIONSMarilee Schmelzer; Fiscal Year: 1999..Following defecation, subjects will undergo proctoscopy for macroscopic examination and biopsy...
- IMPLANTABLE STIMULATOR TO RESTORE MICTURITIONTIMOTHY CRISH; Fiscal Year: 2000..The most immediate application of the device is to effect control of micturition and defecation in individuals with spinal cord injuries...
- Oscillatory Ca2 signaling in the C. elegans intestineKevin Strange; Fiscal Year: 2009..Posterior body wall muscle contraction (pBoc) in C. elegans drives defecation behavior and occurs in rhythmic fashion every 45-50 sec...
- FECAL-INCONTINENCE MONITORDavid Putnam; Fiscal Year: 2004..placed in an individual's undergarment, which will act, like a "sniffer" and respond to odor associated with defecation. Specific aims and the research of Phase II encompass the following: Wearable fecal monitoring systems with ..
- Characterization of the Na+/Cl--dependent Neurotransmitter Transporter (SNF-3)Aude Ada Nguema; Fiscal Year: 2009..pathways converge to regulate [Ca2"], homeostasis (oscillation) required for a nematode ultradian behavior, its defecation cycle...
- FECAL-INCONTINENCE MONITORDavid Putnam; Fiscal Year: 2000..placed in an individual's undergarment, which will act like a "sniffer" and respond to gas associated with defecation. To confirm feasibility, Phase I of this project will involve analyses of fresh fecal samples from convalescent ..
- QTL ANALYSIS OF FEAR-RELATED BEHAVIOR IN RODENTSJohn DeFries; Fiscal Year: 1999..The H-L strains also differ in open-field defecation (L more H). F2 hybrids will be developed from L1 - H1 crosses and L2-H2 crosses...
- Epidemiology and Mechanisms of Fecal IncontinenceAdil Bharucha; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our novel "fluoroscopic" single-shot fast spin-echo MRI techniques visualize pelvic floor descent during defecation in real-time...
- ANORECTAL MANIFESTATIONS OF FEMALE PELVIC FLOOR DISORDERAdil Bharucha; Fiscal Year: 2002..include two under recognized, yet potentially devastating manifestations, fecal incontinence (FI) and obstructed defecation (OD)...
- EXTRINSIC NEURAL CONTROL OF COLONIC MOTILITY/DEFECATIONWILLIAM SPIELMAN; Fiscal Year: 1993..muscle of the colon and internal anal sphincter and the striated muscle of the external anal sphincter during defecation and during continence...
- NEURAL CONTROL OF A MOTOR PROGRAMJames Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2002..elegans. We have identified over 30 genes that regulate excitation of defecation, egg-laying, and body-wall muscles, and we have molecularly cloned five of these genes...
- GENETIC ANALYSIS OF NEMATODE EGG LAYINGH Horvitz; Fiscal Year: 2000..system responds to information in the environment to control not only egg laying but also feeding behavior, defecation and locomotion, all of which are coordinately regulated with egg laying...
- Cannabinoid Mechanisms in Human Gastrointestinal Motor and Sensory FunctionsMICHAEL L CAMILLERI; Fiscal Year: 2010..These actions may be relevant to develop new treatments for IBS. The studies will also provide further understanding of the potential of medications like medical marijuana on stomach function that may be relevant to appetite control. ..
- ALPHA 2 ADRENERGIC CONTROL IN IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROMEMichael Camilleri; Fiscal Year: 2008..Significance: This project will characterize pharmacogenetic mechanisms determining the response to clonidine through studies of candidate genes that control alpha2-adrenoreceptor function and norepinephrine transport in IBS. ..
- ALPHA-2 ADRENERGIC CONTROL OF COLONIC FUNCTION IN IBSMichael Camilleri; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Advancing the Treatment of Fecal & Urinary IncontinenceWilliam Whitehead; Fiscal Year: 2003..The conference is scheduled to take place November 3-5, 2002, in Milwaukee, and half of the invitees have accepted invitations to speak. ..
- Gastrointestinal Biopsychosocial Research CenterWilliam Whitehead; Fiscal Year: 2008..The proposed Center is university wide and includes investigators from psychology, psychiatry, surgery (gynecology division), neuroradiology, dentistry, and the school of public health. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CRF2 Receptor Modulation of Colonic Response to StressMILLION MULUGETA; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- EXOGENOUS/ENDOGENOUS CANNABINOIDS--CHEMISTRY & BEHAVIORTORBJORN JARBE; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Research Symposium on Functional Abdoninal Pain in ChildrenSamuel Nurko; Fiscal Year: 2007..7. To educate the NASPGHAN membership on the state of the art of functional abdominal pain and IBS in children. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PLACEBO CONTROLLED STUDY OF BACLOFEN FOR GERD IN CHILDREN WITH CEREBRAL PALSYSamuel Nurko; Fiscal Year: 2008..This study will serve as a basis to test the medication in otherwise healthy children with GERD. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- BRADYKININ IN ENTERIC NEUROIMMUNE COMMUNICATIONJACKIE WOOD; Fiscal Year: 2005..The overall goal of the study is to better understand the role of bradykinin in motility disturbances, diarrhea, abdominal pain and inflammation. ..
- PURINERGIC NEUROGENIC MUCOSAL SECRETIONJACKIE WOOD; Fiscal Year: 2008..of new drugs for treatment of the irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease and other disorders of defecation by targeting the P2Y1 receptor or ATP metabolic pathways in the pool of enteric neurons that control intestinal ..
- Women's Health Complementary and Alternative TherapiesMargaret Heitkemper; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Integrating CAM: Nursing EmphasisMargaret Heitkemper; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Abdominal Symptom Phenotypes: Pathways to New BiomarkersRobert Shulman; Fiscal Year: 2010..New biomarkers (video capsule endoscopy, lymphocyte activation/cytokine diffuse noxious inhibitory control testing) will be used with newly recruited IBS and control subjects. ..
- ALCOHOL EXPOSURE EFFECTS: GENETIC BASICDavid Blizard; Fiscal Year: 2006..Overall, these studies will establish a mouse model for the study of genetic factors and sex as they influence individual differences in response to ethanol exposure during adolescence and early adult life. ..
- A Genetic Screening Policy Model for Colorectal CancerScott Ramsey; Fiscal Year: 2006..The model will incorporate QOL information from Aim 2, along with family history, clinical, and screening information from the Seattle CFR. ..
- Biomarkers of COX-2 inhibitors in intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm (IPMN)Christian Schmidt; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MULTICENTER TRIAL OF FUNCTIONAL BOWEL DISORDERSDouglas Drossman; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- COST EFFECTIVENESS OF GENETIC SCREENING FOR COLON CANCERScott Ramsey; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Molecular Basis of K+ Current During SecretionKeith Nehrke; Fiscal Year: 2002..Finally, we will look at compensatory changes that occur in the expression of functionally-related ion transport proteins in the transgenic strain. ..
- Providing Choice to Nursing Home Residents: A Quality of Life InterventionJohn F Schnelle; Fiscal Year: 2010..Such observations-and the data they generate-are essential for effective staff training and management. ..
- Na Channels in Afferents after Bladder ObstructionWilliam Steers; Fiscal Year: 2006..Insight into these cellular processes could be exploited to develop afferent based treatments for OAB employing pharmacologic, molecular or gene based strategies. ..
- Na+/H+ exchange in the nematode intestineKeith Nehrke; Fiscal Year: 2004..This multidisciplinary approach will help to define the biological role of individual Na+/H+ exchangers in the nematode intestine. ..
- Culture of differentiated C elegans embryonic cellsKevin Strange; Fiscal Year: 2002..The speed and economy with which this can be done in C. elegans cannot be duplicated in other metazoan animals. ..