- Multifactorial modeling for root caries prediction
Department of Cariology, University of Turku, Finland
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 20:35-7. 1992
..8). A positive finding of Past Root Caries (RDFS) or the combination of the other three tests (Can, LB, VPT%) as criteria for selection in screening for root caries produced good accuracy (84.0) and a relative risk of 5.5...
- Incremental susceptibility of individual tooth surfaces to dental caries in Scottish adolescents
I G Chestnutt
Department of Adult Dental Care, University of Glasgow, Scotland
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 24:11-6. 1996
..However, overall the contribution of these surfaces to 3-yr increments was, 40%, 47% and 13%, respectively...
- Results after two years of non-operative treatment of occlusal surface in children with high caries prevalence
Department of Social and Preventive Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Braz Dent J 14:48-54. 2003
..From the 15 cavitated lesions, only 5 surfaces needed to be filled. This program showed that care of erupting teeth on an individualized basis can control occlusal caries...
- Interproximal contact points and proximal caries in posterior primary teeth
Paul J Allison
Faculty of Dentistry, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Pediatr Dent 25:334-40. 2003
..The purpose of this study was to investigate the hypothesis that the risk of proximal caries in posterior primary teeth is higher when interproximal contact points are closed than when they are open...
- Association between AMELX polymorphisms and dental caries in Koreans
S W Kang
Department of Oral Pathology and Institute of Oral Biology, School of Dentistry, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Oral Dis 17:399-406. 2011
..AMELX is the gene coding amelogenin, which is the most important factor for normal enamel development. The aim of this study was to examine the relationship between dental caries and single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in AMELX...
- Taste genes associated with dental caries
Center for Oral Health Research in Appalachia, University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Dent Res 89:1198-202. 2010
..Statistically significant associations were seen in TAS2R38 and TAS1R2 for caries risk and/or protection...
- Inherited risks for susceptibility to dental caries
C F Shuler
Center for Craniofacial Molecular Biology, University of Southern California School of Dentistry, Los Angeles 90033, USA
J Dent Educ 65:1038-45. 2001
..Genetic linkage approaches on well-characterized populations with clearly defined dental caries incidence will be required to further analyze the relationship between inheritance and dental caries...
- Geo-mapping of caries risk in children and adolescents - a novel approach for allocation of preventive care
Section of Community and Preventive Dentistry, Maxillofacial Unit, Halland Hospital, SE 301 85 Halmstad, Sweden
BMC Oral Health 11:26. 2011
..The aim of the study was to apply a novel concept for presenting epidemiological data based on caries risk in the region of Halland in southwest Sweden, using geo-maps...
- Common SNPs of AmelogeninX (AMELX) and dental caries susceptibility
UMR 7138, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, 75005 Paris, France
J Dent Res 92:418-24. 2013
..Both evolutionary and statistical analyses showed that none of these SNPs was associated with caries susceptibility, suggesting that AMELX is not a gene candidate in our studied population...
- Update on early childhood caries since the Surgeon General's Report
Department of Health Promotion and Policy, University of Maryland Dental School, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Acad Pediatr 9:396-403. 2009
..Findings regarding antimicrobial interventions, efforts to modify diets, and traditional dental health education are less consistent...
- Classification of dental caries patterns in the primary dentition: a multidimensional scaling analysis
Walter J Psoter
Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, New York University College of Dentistry, New York, NY 10010, USA
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 31:231-8. 2003
..The purpose of this project was to identify patterns of caries in the dentition of preschool children using multidimensional scaling without a priori pattern delineation...
- Genes and their effects on dental caries may differ between primary and permanent dentitions
Center for Craniofacial and Dental Genetics, School of Dental Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15219, USA
Caries Res 44:277-84. 2010
..Moreover, metrics for quantifying caries that incorporate white-spot lesions may serve as better phenotypes in genetic studies of the causes of tooth decay...
- The association of early dental caries patterns with caries incidence in preschool children
D M O'Sullivan
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT06030 1610, USA
J Public Health Dent 56:81-3. 1996
..This study assessed the development of caries in preschool children over two years according to baseline caries pattern...
- Tuftelin, mutans streptococci, and dental caries susceptibility
R L Slayton
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, University of Washington School of Dentistry, Box 357136, 1959 NE Pacific Street, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Dent Res 84:711-4. 2005
The purpose of this study was to identify genetic factors that contribute to dental caries susceptibility, either alone or in combination with environmental factors...
- Genetic susceptibility to dental caries on pit and fissure and smooth surfaces
J R Shaffer
Department of Human Genetics, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Caries Res 46:38-46. 2012
..001), indicating that genetic factors may exert differential effects on caries risk in PFS versus SMS in the primary dentition...
- Two-dimensional electrophoresis study of in vitro pellicle formation and dental caries susceptibility
Department of Chemistry, University of Aveiro, Portugal
Eur J Oral Sci 114:147-53. 2006
..The correlation between higher levels of the phosphorylated acidic PRPs 1/2 with samples from the caries-free group also suggests a protective role for these proteins...
- A major gene effect controls resistance to caries
R I Werneck
Core for Advanced Molecular Investigation, Graduate Program in Health Sciences, Center for Biological and Health Sciences, Pontifical Catholic University of Parana, Imaculada Conceição St 1155 CCBS PPGCS, Prado Velho, CEP 80215 901 Curitiba, Parana, Brazil
J Dent Res 90:735-9. 2011
..63; mean numbers of decayed teeth were 1.53 and 9.53 for genotypes AA/AB and BB, respectively. These results represent a step toward a description of the exact nature of the genetic risk factors controlling human susceptibility to caries...
- Host and microbiological factors related to dental caries development
J J de Soet
Department of Oral Microbiology, Academic Centre for Dentistry Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Caries Res 42:340-7. 2008
..3) for the whole population. For children who had 4 or more carious lesions at baseline, the significance increased (p = 0.005, OR = 4.8), suggesting that the CD14-260 TT genotype was protective for AFF as a consequence of dental caries...
- Identification of chromosomes associated with dental caries susceptibility using quantitative trait locus analysis in mice
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Nihon University School of Dentistry at Matsudo, Matsudo, Chiba, Japan
Caries Res 38:79-84. 2004
..This study aimed to identify the major candidate chromosomes for dental caries susceptibility and to detect the relevant regions within these...
- The association of bacterial adhesion with dental caries
Department of Odontology/Cariology, , Sweden
J Dent Res 80:2005-10. 2001
..Non-Db phenotypes (i.e., acidic PRP-1 and PRP-2 variants) coincided with both low caries experience and S. mutans, but high A. naeslundii, adhesion. Thus, bacterial adhesion may modulate susceptibility and resistance to dental caries...
- Risk assessment and epidemiology of dental caries: review of the literature
Washington Dental Service, Seattle, USA
Pediatr Dent 24:377-85. 2002
..This paper presents a review of the known risk factors for dental caries in child and adolescent populations...
- Possible association of amelogenin to high caries experience in a Guatemalan-Mayan population
Department of Oral Biology, School of Dental Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Caries Res 42:8-13. 2008
..The approach of comparing individuals with extremely distinct caries experiences could be valuable for decreasing the potential influence of environmental factors on genetic studies of caries...
- Patient caries risk assessment
Department of Cariology and Endodontics, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Monogr Oral Sci 21:91-101. 2009
- Caries experience in relation to oral hygiene, salivary cariogenic microflora, buffer capacity and secretion rate in 6-year olds and 12 year olds in Riga
Conservative Dentistry Department, Dzirciema str 20, Institute of Stomatology, Riga Stradins University, Riga, Latvia
Stomatologija 10:76-80. 2008
- Current understanding of the epidemiology mechanisms, and prevention of dental caries in preschool children
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Dental School, University of Maryland, Baltimore, USA
Pediatr Dent 24:543-51. 2002
- Xerostomia management in the head and neck radiation patient
Carl W Haveman
Department of General Dentistry, UTHSC San Antonio, TX, USA
Tex Dent J 121:483-97. 2004
- Oral condition, chemistry of saliva, and salivary levels of Streptococcus mutans in thalassemic patients
P F Lugliè
Dental Institute, University of Sassari, Viale San Pietro 43 C, 07100 Sassari, Italy
Clin Oral Investig 6:223-6. 2002
..Our findings confirm that, although no substantial differences were found between the two observed groups, further investigations are needed to determine the theoretical risk of oral diseases in thalassemic patients...
- Comparison of levels of mutans streptococci and lactobacilli in children with nursing bottle caries, rampant caries, healthy children with 3-5 dmft/DMFT and healthy caries free children
Dept of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, College of Dental Sciences, Davangere, Karnataka
J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 20:1-5. 2002
..The levels of mutans streptococci and lactobacilli were estimated at all the sample sites. The result further supported the role of mutans streptococci in the initiation and of lactobacilli in the progression of the dental caries...
- Dental caries and associated factors in Mexican schoolchildren aged 6-13 years
Alejandro José Casanova-Rosado
Facultad de Odontología de la Universidad Autónoma de Campeche, Campeche, Campeche, Mexico
Acta Odontol Scand 63:245-51. 2005
..This study has identified clinical, socio-economic, and behavioral determinants for dental caries in primary and permanent dentition on Mexican schoolchildren...
- New caries detection technologies and modern caries management: merging the strategies
Douglas A Young
Department of Diagnosis and Management, University of the Pacific School of Dentistry, San Francisco, California, USA
Gen Dent 50:320-31. 2002
..Two relatively new detection technologies (DIAGNOdent and DIFOTI) will be reviewed...
- A paradigm shift in the treatment of caries
University of Illinois, Chicago College of Dentistry, USA
Gen Dent 50:333-8. 2002
..Patients receive treatment using a medical model consisting of four steps: bacterial control; reduction of risk levels for at-risk patients; reversal of active sites by remineralization; and follow-up and maintenance...
- Caries-inhibiting effect of professional fluoride gel application in low-caries children initially aged 4.5-6.5 years
H M van Rijkom
Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry and Pedodontology, University of Nijmegen UMCN, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Caries Res 38:115-23. 2004
..5- to 6.5-year-olds, fluoride gel treatment showed a statistically significant (tested one-sided) caries-inhibiting effect on D3MFS, which was considered not clinically relevant, and no significant effect on d3mfs...
- Comparing caries risk factors and risk profiles between children and elderly
Gunnel Hänsel Petersson
Department of Cariology, Faculty of Odontology, Malmo University, Malmo, Sweden
Swed Dent J 28:119-28. 2004
..Over all, the risk for caries, as assessed by the Cariogram, was twice as high for the elderly...
- Cost-effectiveness of different caries preventive measures in a high-risk population of Swedish adolescents
Epidemiology, Department of Public Health and Clinical Medicine, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 31:169-78. 2003
..This means a yearly cost of approximately 334 SEK...
- The caries balance: the basis for caries management by risk assessment
John D B Featherstone
Department of Preventive and Restorative Dental Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, 94143, USA
Oral Health Prev Dent 2:259-64. 2004
..The key to improved dental health for all is now for the dental profession to embrace this knowledge and put it into practice in the real world, to inhibit caries formation and progression, and to enhance the natural repair process...
- Detection of approximal caries in 5-year-old Swedish children
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Eastman Dental Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Caries Res 39:92-9. 2005
..It is concluded that 33% of the 5-year-olds, representing a low caries prevalence population, benefited from bitewing examination. The ability to identify these children from the predictors was, however, limited...
- The effects of a supervised toothbrushing programme on the caries increment of primary school children, initially aged 5-6 years
R J Jackson
North West London Community Dental Service, Oral Health Research Centre, London, UK
Caries Res 39:108-15. 2005
- Multivariate survival analysis for the identification of factors associated with cavity formation in permanent first molars
School of Dentistry, Oral Pathology and Maxillofacial Surgery, Catholic University Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Eur J Oral Sci 113:145-52. 2005
..The multiple survival analysis confirmed the major impact of the caries status of the deciduous dentition and self-reported oral hygiene habits on the incidence of cavities in permanent first molars...
- Caries management by risk assessment: consensus statement, April 2002
John D B Featherstone
Department of Preventive and Restorative Dental Sciences, University of California at San Francisco, 94143, USA
J Calif Dent Assoc 31:257-69. 2003
- Effect of school-based fluoride varnish programmes on approximal caries in adolescents from different caries risk areas
Ulla Moberg Sköld
Department of Preventive Dental Care, Vastra Gotaland Region, Goteborg, Sweden
Caries Res 39:273-9. 2005
..To conclude, school-based F varnish treatment every 6 months in 13- to 16-year-olds is excellent to prevent approximal caries in medium and high caries risk areas...
- Xylitol and dental caries: an overview for clinicians
Department of Dental Public Health Sciences, Northwest Alaska Center to Reduce Oral Health Disparities, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 7475, USA
J Calif Dent Assoc 31:205-9. 2003
..Food products containing xylitol are available commercially and through specialized manufacturers, and have the potential to be widely accessible to consumers...
- The effect of choosing different units of analysis when estimating risk of presence of dental caries in the primary dentition
Department of Community Oral Health and Pediatric Dentistry, Dental School, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Aarhus, Aarhus, Denmark
Community Dent Health 20:27-33. 2003
..Data on caries are usually collected with the tooth surface or the tooth as the unit, but subsequently analysed by aggregating the data at the level of the individual...
- Assessment of caries risk in preschool children
Institute of Dentistry, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Caries Res 38:156-62. 2004
..The present results indicate that in 2-year-old children, the combination of two or three risk indicators (MS strip, incipient caries lesions, and use of candies) might have caries-predictive power enough for clinical implications...
- An abbreviated caries clinical trial design validated over 24 months
R K Chesters
Unilever Dental Research, Port Sunlight, Quarry Road East, Bebington, Wirral CH63 3JW, UK
J Dent Res 81:637-40. 2002
..007) at 12 months; these were confirmed at 24 months by traditional increment analysis (CVA & FOTI at the D(3) (dentin only) threshold + radiography, p < 0.03). This study confirms the validity of an abbreviated trial protocol...
- Caries risk assessment in practice for age 6 through adult
John D B Featherstone
University of California, San Francisco, School of Dentistry, 94143, USA
J Calif Dent Assoc 35:703-7, 710-3. 2007
..The content of the form and the procedures have been validated by outcomes research after several years of experience using the factors and indicators that are included...
- The relationship between caries in the primary dentition at 5 years of age and permanent dentition at 10 years of age - a longitudinal study
M S Skeie
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Int J Paediatr Dent 16:152-60. 2006
..Further, to examine the possibility of predicting children in a caries-risk group at 5 years verified at 10 years of age...
- Prevalence of dental caries in children born prematurely or at full term
Danuze Batista Lamas Gravina
Department of Dentistry, School of Health Sciences, University of Brasilia
Braz Oral Res 20:353-7. 2006
..Results also suggested a highly skewed distribution since most caries were found in only a small number of children...
- Caries prevention and reversal based on the caries balance
John D B Featherstone
Department of Preventive and Restorative Dental Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Pediatr Dent 28:128-32; discussion 192-8. 2006
..The balance between pathological and preventive factors can be swung in the direction of caries intervention and prevention by the active role of the dentist and his/her auxiliary staff...
- Anticariogenic effect of fluoride-releasing elastomers in orthodontic patients
Karina Katsue Miura
School of Dentistry of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Braz Oral Res 21:228-33. 2007
..Since there was no significant reduction in S. mutans in saliva or plaque, other means of prevention against enamel decalcification should be indicated for these patients...
- Does assessment of microbial composition of plaque/saliva allow for diagnosis of disease activity of individuals?
G H Bowden
Department of Oral Biology, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 25:76-81. 1997
- Caries risk assessment in Bosnian children using Cariogram computer model
Department of Preventive and Paediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Int Dent J 57:177-83. 2007
..To examine caries risk using the Cariogram model, interactive PC program for caries risk evaluation in 12-year-old children and to correlate caries risk in children of different socioeconomic backgrounds...
- Salivary clinical data and dental caries susceptibility: is there a relationship?
Department of Chemistry, University of Aveiro, Portugal
Bull Group Int Rech Sci Stomatol Odontol 47:27-33. 2006
..However, the results of this study were inconclusive, showing that salivary tests parameters either as single test or even in combination are incapable of predicting caries emphasising the importance of saliva composition...
- Caries prevalence in primary teeth as a predictor of early fissure caries in permanent first molars
Department of Pedodontics, University of Bergen, Norway
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 20:30-4. 1992
- The efficacy of a school-based caries preventive program: a 4-year study
S H Al-Jundi
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid, Jordan
Int J Dent Hyg 4:30-4. 2006
..This study proves that supervised daily tooth brushing using fluoridated toothpaste is successful in controlling dental caries in children...
- Caries increment and prediction from 12 to 18 years of age: a follow-up study
Department of Oral Sciences Pedodontics, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norwway
Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 7:31-7. 2006
..This was to determine the increment of caries from 12 to 18 years of age and to explore the possibility of predicting caries increment in this period based on the caries experience at age 12 years...
- Streptococcus mutans levels and caries prevalence in low-income schoolchildren
Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
J Tenn Dent Assoc 82:19-22. 2002
..This study was supported in part by Colgate-Palmolive Company and the National Dental Association Foundation, Inc...
- Caries incidence in young type 1 diabetes mellitus patients in relation to metabolic control and caries-associated risk factors
Paediatric Dentistry and Cariology, Department of Odontology, Umea University, Sweden
Caries Res 36:31-5. 2002
..0). The findings suggest that the level of metabolic control and traditional caries risk markers are important factors for caries development in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus...
- Plaque minerals in the prediction of caries activity
Euan I F Pearce
Wellington School of Medicine, Wellington, New Zealand
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 30:61-9. 2002
..The aim of this study was to validate the use of plaque calcium, phosphate and fluoride concentrations as significant risk factors in caries...
- The dental health of 12-year-old children whose diets include canned fruit from local factories: an added risk for caries?
W van Wyk
Oral and Dental Research Institute, University of Stellenbosch, Private Bag XI, Tygerberg 7505, South Africa
SADJ 56:533-7. 2001
..To determine the dental health of 12-year-old children from households that are supplied with sweetened canned fruit from local factories...
- Streptococcus sobrinus in children and its influence on caries activity
Department of Conservative Dentistry and Periodontology, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 7:17-22. 2006
..This was to study the longitudinal assessment of caries activity of Streptococcus sobrinus (SS) positive children during their mixed dentition...
- Caries risk assessment practices among Texas pediatric dentists
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Baylor College of Dentistry, Health Science Center, Texas A and M University, Dallas, Texas, USA
Pediatr Dent 30:49-53. 2008
..The purpose of this study was to determine current caries risk assessment (CRA) practices of Texas pediatric dentists...
- Effect of a chlorhexidine varnish on Streptococcus mutans in saliva
Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry, Faculty of Odontology, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina
Acta Odontol Latinoam 18:7-13. 2005
..It can be concluded that the levels of S. mutans decreased in each subsequent experimental period and that the application of a 1% chlorhexidine varnish elicited a significant reduction in S. mutans levels...
- The Caries Management System: an evidence-based preventive strategy for dental practitioners. Application for adults
R W Evans
Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Sydney, Australia
Aust Dent J 53:83-92. 2008
..Since the attainment and maintenance of oral health is determined mainly by controlling both caries and periodontal disease, the implementation of the Caries Management System in general practice will promote both outcomes...
- Effect of mixed mutans streptococci colonization on caries development
Department of Oral Health Sciences, Dental Research Center, Nihon University School of Dentistry, Tokyo, Japan
Oral Microbiol Immunol 21:47-52. 2006
..To evaluate the clinical importance of mixed mutans streptococci colonization in predicting caries in preschool children...
- A modern paradigm for caries management, part 1: diagnosis and treatment
Dent Today 26:134, 136-9; quiz 139. 2007
- Saliva and dental caries
F J Dowd
Department of Pharmacology, Creighton, University School of Medicine, Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Dent Clin North Am 43:579-97. 1999
..properties of saliva as well as those of its separate components may permit a better assessment of dental caries susceptibility. Future research is essential to characterize more fully salivary components and their interactions and ..
- The effect of perinatal TCDD exposure on caries susceptibility in rats
Hanna M Miettinen
Laboratory of Toxicology, Department of Environmental Health, National Public Health Institute, Kuopio, Finland
Toxicol Sci 91:568-75. 2006
..Here, we studied the effect of very low perinatal TCDD exposure on dental caries susceptibility and mineral composition of tooth enamel in rats...
- Predictive tool for estimating the potential effect of water fluoridation on dental caries
G R K Foster
Wirral Primary Care Trust, University of Mancheste, University College London, UK
Community Dent Health 26:5-11. 2009
..To provide a tool for public health planners to estimate the potential improvement in dental caries in children that might be expected in a region if its water supply were to be fluoridated...
- A longitudinal study of early childhood caries in 9- to 18-month-old Thai infants
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Prince of Songkla University, Hatyai, Songkhla, Thailand
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 34:429-36. 2006
..To examine the rate and pattern of early childhood caries (ECC) development and to investigate the transitional changes of the carious lesions during a follow-up period of 3-9 months...
- Oral health promotion in children and adolescents
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Compend Contin Educ Dent 26:30-5. 2005
..This article discusses the consequences of oral diseases in school-aged children, the factors that contribute to an individual's risk for dental caries, and the most effective therapies to prevent caries in this age group...
- Caries risk profiles in orthodontic patients at follow-up using Cariogram
Anas H Al Mulla
Department of Cariology and Orthodontics, Gothenburg University, Gothenburg University, Gothenburg, Sweden
Angle Orthod 79:323-30. 2009
..To analyze caries-related factors shortly after orthodontic treatment and to use the Cariogram computer program to describe caries risk profiles at follow-up in these patients...
- Dental caries and enamelin haplotype
AP HP, Service Odontologie Bretonneau Louis Mourier HUPNVS and Centre de référence des maladies du métabolisme du phosphore et du calcium, Paris, France
J Dent Res 93:360-5. 2014
..I648T and p.R763Q, respectively), increased caries susceptibility 2.66-fold independent of the environmental risk factors. These findings support ENAM as a gene candidate for caries susceptibility in the studied population. ..
- Rethinking prevention
James J Crall
Section of Pediatric Dentistry, MCHB National Oral Health Policy Center, UCLA School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Pediatr Dent 28:96-101; discussion 192-8. 2006
..Additional attention was given to current and emerging challenges along with considerations for aligning oral health promotion and delivery system capacity with children's oral health care needs...
- Dental caries protection factors in 5-year-old Brazilian children
Maria Cristina Reis Tavares
Faculty of Dentistry, Positivo University, Curitiba, Brazil
J Dent Child (Chic) 75:264-70. 2008
..The purpose of this study was to identify dental caries protection factors in 5-year-old children in the city of Curitiba, Brazil...
- Caries risk assessment in Chilean adolescents and adults and its association with caries experience
Rodrigo Andrés Giacaman
Cariology Unit, Department of Oral Rehabilitation, University of Talca, Chile
Braz Oral Res 27:7-13. 2013
..05). Age, not sex or caries risk scores, showed a strong and positive association with DMFT (p < 0.01). Caries risk from Cariogram appears to be unrelated with caries experience or caries lesions in a high-caries adult population...
- Molar incisor hypomineralisation in Bosnia and Herzegovina: aetiology and clinical consequences in medium caries activity population
Dept Preventive and Paediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 8:189-94. 2007
..This was to establish the prevalence of MIH among 12-year-old children in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and to investigate its aetiological background and clinical consequences of MIH in a population with medium caries activity...
- Comparison of allele frequency for HLA-DR and HLA-DQ between patients with ECC and caries-free children
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Rafsanjan University of Medical Science, Rafsanjan, Iran
J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 26:18-21. 2008
..Genetic variations in the hosts may contribute to changes in the risk for dental caries. Genetic factors such as human leukocyte antigen (HLA) have recently been suggested as a predisposing factor...
- Influence of fluoride concentration and ethanol pre-treatment on the reduction of the acid susceptibility of enamel
Florian J Wegehaupt
Clinic for Preventive Dentistry, Periodontology and Cariology, University of Zurich, Plattenstrasse 11, CH 8032 Zurich, Switzerland
Arch Oral Biol 54:823-9. 2009
..To determine the association between KOH-soluble and structurally bound fluoride uptake and the erosion resistance of enamel, respectively. Additionally, the effect of enamel pre-treatment with ethanol before fluoridation was assessed...
- Summary measures of caries prevalence to describe high-risk communities
Maria Z Morgan
Dental Public Health Unit, Department of Dental Health and Biological Sciences, UWCM, The Dental School, Cardiff, UK
Community Dent Health 22:246-52. 2005
- [Study of thermal stability of intact dental enamel in subjects with different levels of caries resistance]
I L Gorbunova
Stomatologiia (Mosk) 82:4-8. 2003
- To stay sharp, use a dull point
Pediatr Dent 24:533. 2002
- Is the fluoride concentration limit of 1,500 ppm in cosmetics (EU guideline) still up-to-date?
Department of Paediatric Dentistry, Eastman Dental Institute for Oral Health Care Sciences, University College London, UK
Caries Res 35:22-5. 2001
..Their effectiveness is, however, unclear. Fluoride intake and caries risk assessment should be performed by dental professionals and prescription of topical fluoride should be adjusted individually...
- Evaluation of a computer-based caries risk assessment program in an elderly group of individuals
Gunnel Hänsel Petersson
Department of Cariology, Faculty of Odontology, Malmo University, Malmo, Sweden
Acta Odontol Scand 61:164-71. 2003
..The mean DMFS increment for the whole group of elderly individuals was 9.5. In this particular study the Cariogram was able to sort the elderly individuals into risk groups that reflected the actual caries outcome...
- Preventing decay in children: dare we risk the 'risk assessment' model in practice?
K M Milsom
Oral Health Unit, National Primary Care R and D Centre, Halton and St Helens Primary Care Trust, University ofManchester, UK
Br Dent J 209:159-60. 2010
..Should we provide prevention for all children attending their dentist (the population approach) or should we target those children who are at greatest risk (risk assessment approach)?..
- A longitudinal laser fluorescence study of white spot lesions in orthodontic patients
Department of Cariology, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge, Sweden
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 113:595-602. 1998
- Evaluating the effect of probiotic containing milk on salivary mutans streptococci levels
Department of Pediatric and Preventive Dentistry, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi, India
J Clin Pediatr Dent 37:9-14. 2012
..To evaluate the changes in mutans streptococci counts in saliva after short term probiotic intervention and its delayed effects on salivary mutans streptococci count...
- Preventing dental caries in children <5 years: systematic review updating USPSTF recommendation
Pacific Northwest Evidence based Practice Center, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
Pediatrics 132:332-50. 2013
..The objective of this study was to update the 2004 US Preventive Services Task Force systematic review on prevention of caries in children younger than 5 years of age...
- Individualizing recall intervals in child dental care
N J Wang
Institute of Community Dentistry, Dental Faculty of Oslo, Norway
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 23:1-7. 1995
..Limited extension of recall intervals did not interrupt the long-term trend toward better dental health in the children and substantial resources were saved in the dental services...
- Correlates of root caries experience in middle-aged and older adults in the Northwest Practice-based REsearch Collaborative in Evidence-based DENTistry research network
Donald L Chi
Department of Oral Health Sciences, School of Dentistry, University of Washington, Box 357475, Seattle, Wash 98195, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 144:507-16. 2013
- Genetics and caries: prospects
Alexandre Rezende Vieira
Departments of Oral Biology and Pediatric Dentistry, and Center for Craniofacial and Dental Genetics, School of Dental Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Braz Oral Res 26:7-9. 2012
..We have pioneered the work on genetic studies to identify genes and genetic markers of diagnostic, prognostic, and therapeutic value. This paper summarizes a presentation that elaborated on these initial findings...
- Population genomics and dental public health
I G Chestnutt
Community Dent Health 23:130-2. 2006
- Effect of dietary habits on laser fluorescence values of visually sound occlusal surfaces among Finnish schoolchildren
Municipal Oral Health Service of Oulu City and Institute of Dentistry, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Int J Paediatr Dent 18:124-30. 2008
..This study was designed to ascertain whether schoolchildren with unfavourable dietary habits have higher values for laser fluorescence on clinically sound occlusal tooth surfaces than do those who have favourable dietary habits...
- Indications for fissure sealants and their role in children and adolescents
Dental School, Malmo University, Sweden
Dent Update 38:699-703. 2011
..The effect of sealing noncavitated caries lesions is uncertain and possible differences in effect between resin sealants and the high viscosity glass ionomers need to be investigated...
- A caries susceptibility classification of tooth surfaces by survival time
Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Limerick, Ireland
Caries Res 34:103-8. 2000
..It is concluded that the cluster analysis method developed for grouping the tooth surfaces cn provide a useful descriptive measure of caries susceptibility which can be applied to data from any longitudinal study of caries...
- Assessment of implementation of a CAMBRA-based program in a dental school environment
Sorin T Teich
Department of Comprehensive Care, School of Dental Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, 2124 Cornell Rd, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Dent Educ 77:438-47. 2013
..In order to increase the sensitivity of risk assessment, training and recalibration for students and faculty members should be an ongoing process...
- Dental caries: intervened--interrupted--interpreted. Concluding remarks and cariography
Department of Cariology, Faculty of Odontology, University of Lund, Sweden
Eur J Oral Sci 104:486-91. 1996
..As it, in a graphic way, maps the interactions of relevant factors, the author has chosen to call it a cariogram, and the process of preparing such graphs, cariography...
- Impact of dental treatment on the incidence of dental caries in children and adults
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College of London Medical School, England
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 25:104-12. 1997
..As the mean DMFT declines so post-eruptive time increases for initiation of caries and the progression rates of caries through enamel decreases. This is true regardless of the presence of fluoride...
- Clinical evaluation of an adhesive used as a fissure sealant
R H Grande
Department of Dental Materials, School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Am J Dent 13:167-70. 2000
..To compare the retention of a multi-use bonding agent (OptiBond) to a conventional sealant (Delton) used as pit and fissure sealants...
- The antimicrobial peptide DEFB1 is associated with caries
Department of Periodontics and Preventive Dentistry, School of Dental Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
J Dent Res 89:631-6. 2010
..No association between DEFB1 genetic markers and periodontal disease was found. Our results suggest that functional polymorphisms of DEFB1 are potential markers for caries...
- Caries experience and quantification of Streptococcus mutans and Streptococcus sobrinus in saliva of Sudanese schoolchildren
Nazik M Nurelhuda
Section for Microbiology and Immunology, The Gade Institute, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Caries Res 44:402-7. 2010
..S. sobrinus seems to be associated with caries experience in the studied population. A proposal of caries screening programs designed to test for S. sobrinus in this population may be developed...
- Remineralized dentin lesions induced by glass ionomer demonstrate increased resistance to subsequent acid challenge
Minnesota Dental Research Center for Biomaterials and Biomechanics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
Quintessence Int 37:273-81. 2006
..The purpose of this study was to test the hypothesis that remineralized dentin lesions induced by glass ionomer are less vulnerable to subsequent acid challenge...