Genomes and Genes
Summary: A tube that transports URINE from the BLADDER to the outside of the body in both the sexes. It also has a reproductive function in the male by providing a passage for SPERM.
Publications302 found, 100 shown here
- Urethral seam formation and hypospadiasL S Baskin
Department of Urology, University of California School of Medicine, San Francisco, CA 94143 0738, USA
Cell Tissue Res 305:379-87. 2001Knowledge of the formation of the normal male urethra may elucidate the etiology of hypospadias...
- Characteristic male urine microbiomes associate with asymptomatic sexually transmitted infectionDavid E Nelson
Department of Biology, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA
PLoS ONE 5:e14116. 2010..the male urogenital tract is poorly described but it has been suggested that bacterial colonization of the male urethra might impact risk of sexually transmitted infection (STI)...
- Porcine small intestinal submucosa graft for repair of anterior urethral stricturesRichard Fiala
Department of Urology, University Hospital, IP Pavlova 6, 779 00 Olomouc, Czech Republic
Eur Urol 51:1702-8; discussion 1708. 2007We evaluated porcine small intestinal submucosa (SIS) used in the treatment of inflammatory, iatrogenic, posttraumatic, and idiopathic strictures of bulbar and penile urethra. Midterm maintenance of urethral patency was assessed.
- Effects of vaginal distension on urethral anatomy and functionT W Cannon
Departments of Urology, Layola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL, USA
BJU Int 90:403-7. 2002....
- Cell-seeded tubularized scaffolds for reconstruction of long urethral defects: a preclinical studyHazem Orabi
Department of Urology and Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Wake Forest School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Eur Urol 63:531-8. 2013The treatment options for patients requiring repair of a long segment of the urethra are limited by the availability of autologous tissues...
- The adult penile urethra is a novel entry site for HIV-1 that preferentially targets resident urethral macrophagesY Ganor
Department of Mucosal Entry of HIV 1 and Mucosal Immunity, Cell Biology, and Host Pathogen Interactions, Cochin Institute, INSERM, U1016, Paris, France
Mucosal Immunol 6:776-86. 2013The penile urethra is routinely targeted by sexually transmitted bacterial and viral pathogens, and also represents a probable site for HIV type-1 (HIV-1) entry. Yet, the mechanisms of urethral HIV-1 transmission are unknown...
- Lactobacillus colonization status in infants with urinary tract infectionJung Won Lee
Department of Pediatrics, Hallym University, Kangnam Sacred Heart Hospital, 94 195 Yeongdeungpo dong, Yeongdeungpo gu, Seoul, 150 030, Korea
Pediatr Nephrol 24:135-9. 2009..Our results support the view that less urogenital lactobacillus colonization may be a risk factor for UTI in infants even though there is an unclear possibility that the UTI itself could be the cause of the lower lactobacillus colonies...
- The length of the male urethraTobias S Kohler
Division of Urology, Southern Illinois University, Springfield, IL 62794, USA
Int Braz J Urol 34:451-4; discussion 455-6. 2008..To our knowledge, there is no population-based data regarding normal male urethral length. We evaluated the length of the urethra in men with normal genitourinary anatomy undergoing either Foley catheter removal or standard cystoscopy.
- Cell lineage analysis demonstrates an endodermal origin of the distal urethra and perineumAshley W Seifert
Department of Zoology, University of Florida, Cancer Genetics Research Complex, PO Box 103610, Gainesville, FL 32610 3610, USA
Dev Biol 318:143-52. 2008..The penile urethra has been reported to develop from two cell populations, with the proximal urethra developing from endoderm and ..
- Multiphasic and tissue-specific roles of sonic hedgehog in cloacal septation and external genitalia developmentAshley W Seifert
Department of Biology, University of Florida, Cancer Genetics Research Complex, PO Box 103610, Gainesville, FL 32610 3610, USA
Development 136:3949-57. 2009....
- Restoration of posterior aspect of rhabdosphincter shortens continence time after radical retropubic prostatectomyF Rocco
Clinica Urologica I, Universita degli Studi, Fondazione Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Mangiagalli Regina Elena Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico, Milano, Italy
J Urol 175:2201-6. 2006..The primary study end point was early continence rate assessment. Long-term continence (1 year) and erectile function assessment were secondary end points...
- The microbial communities in male first catch urine are highly similar to those in paired urethral swab specimensQunfeng Dong
Department of Biology, University of North Texas, Denton, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e19709. 2011..It was unknown if the bacterial communities (microbiomes) in urine reflected those in the distal male urethra. We compared microbiomes of 32 paired urine and urethral swab specimens obtained from adult men attending an STD ..
- Factors determining functional outcomes after radical prostatectomy: robot-assisted versus retropubicSeong Cheol Kim
Department of Urology, Inje University, Haeundae Paik Hospital, Busan, Korea
Eur Urol 60:413-9. 2011..Early studies reported comparative results of functional outcomes between robot-assisted (RARP) and retropubic radical prostatectomy (RRP). However, well-controlled single-surgeon prospective studies comparing the outcomes are rare...
- Bmp7 expression and null phenotype in the urogenital system suggest a role in re-organization of the urethral epitheliumXinyu Wu
Department of Urology, New York University School of Medicine, 423 East 23rd Street 18064 South, New York, NY 10010, USA
Gene Expr Patterns 9:224-30. 2009..In late embryogenesis, Bmp7 expression was present in the urethra, rectum, the urethral glands, corpus cavernosum, and in the male and female genital ducts...
- Variation in course of cavernous nerve with special reference to details of topographic relationships near prostatic apex: histologic study using male cadaversAtsushi Takenaka
Department of Urology, Kawasaki Medical School, Kurashiki, Okayama, Japan
Urology 65:136-42. 2005..The varying anatomy of the cavernous nerve might account for the disparate potency rates after nerve-sparing radical prostatectomy...
- Innate and acquired immunity in the human penile urethraJeffrey Pudney
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Boston University, School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Reprod Immunol 88:219-27. 2011In men, the penile urethra is a primary infection site for sexually transmitted pathogens...
- Fetal topographical anatomy of the female urethra and descending vagina: a histological study of the early human fetal urethraHiroshi Masumoto
Department of Urology, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima University, Japan
Ann Anat 193:500-8. 2011Which parts of the male urethra correspond to the female urethra? To resolve this question, we need to understand fetal topographical changes in the urethra, its external sphincter and vagina...
- Voiding urosonography: the study of the urethra is no longer a limitation of the techniqueCarmina Duran
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, UDIAT SDI, Corporacio Sanitaria Parc Tauli, Sabadell, Barcelona, 08208, Spain
Pediatr Radiol 39:124-31. 2009Voiding urosonography (VUS) has proved to be a reliable method for the study of vesicoureteric reflux (VUR). Early reports considered it inadequate for imaging the male urethra.
- Long-term results of small intestinal submucosa graft in bulbar urethral reconstructionEnzo Palminteri
Center for Urethral and Genitalia Reconstructive Surgery, Arezzo, Italy
Urology 79:695-701. 2012..To retrospectively report the long-term results of the use of a small intestinal submucosa (SIS) graft in bulbar urethral repair...
- Female gender and carcinoma in situ in the prostatic urethra are prognostic factors for recurrence, progression, and disease-specific mortality in T1G3 bladder cancer patients treated with bacillus Calmette-GuérinJoan Palou
Department of Urology, Fundacio Puigvert, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Eur Urol 62:118-25. 2012..Controversy exists over the most important prognostic factors in T1 high-grade non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer (NMIBC) patients treated with bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG)...
- Bacterial communities of the coronal sulcus and distal urethra of adolescent malesDavid E Nelson
Department of Biology, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e36298. 2012..Finally, our results suggest that the penis and the urethra can be colonized by a variety of BV-associated taxa and that some of these colonizations result from partnered ..
- Anatomic and technical considerations for optimizing recovery of urinary function during robotic-assisted radical prostatectomyAnup A Vora
Department of Urology, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, District of Columbia, USA
Curr Opin Urol 23:78-87. 2013..PPI is associated with worse quality of life. We evaluate recently reported robot-assisted radical prostatectomy surgical techniques aimed at limiting PPI, describe their anatomic basis and summarize their outcomes...
- Cystoscopic injections of dextranomer hyaluronic acid into proximal urethra for urethral incompetence: efficacy and adverse outcomesDeborah J Lightner
Department of Urology, Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Urology 75:1310-4. 2010..would be more efficacious or would produce fewer complications when using the material in a standard proximal-urethra cystoscopically-directed injection technique...
- Management of bulbous urethral disruption by blunt external trauma: the sooner, the better?J a Hyeon Ku
Department of Urology, Military Manpower Administration, Seoul, South Korea
Urology 60:579-83. 2002..To investigate whether the incidence of urethral stricture is different according to the primary mode of management, we retrospectively reviewed the record of patients with bulbous urethral disruption by external blunt trauma...
- The development of the male genitourinary system. I. The origin of the urorectal septum and the formation of the perineumP J Hynes
Department of Anatomy, University College, Cork, Ireland
Br J Plast Surg 57:27-36. 2004..developing genital tubercle; (3) the separation of this extension from the surface during the formation of the urethra. This study, which uses a mouse model, examines these developmental stages in detail and together with a ..
- Holmium laser core-through urethrotomy for traumatic obliterative strictures of urethra: initial experienceP N Dogra
Department of Urology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Urology 64:232-5; discussion 235-6. 2004To determine the safety and efficacy of holmium laser core-through urethrotomy (HolCTU) for the treatment of post-traumatic obliterative stricture of the urethra.
- Straddle injuries to the bulbar urethra: management and outcomes in 78 patientsSangtae Park
Department of Urology, University of California School of Medicine and Urology Service, San Francisco General Hospital, 94110, USA
J Urol 171:722-5. 2004We describe our experience with blunt straddle injuries to the anterior urethra and identify factors that may affect patient outcome.
- Urethra-sparing, intraoperative, real-time planned, permanent-seed prostate brachytherapy: toxicity analysisThomas Zilli
Department of Radiation Oncology, Centre Hospitalier de l Université de Montréal Hôpital Notre Dame, Montreal, QC, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 81:e377-83. 2011To report the toxicity outcome in patients with localized prostate cancer undergoing (125)I permanent-seed brachytherapy (BT) according to a urethra-sparing, intraoperative (IO), real-time planned conformal technique.
- Tension-free vaginal tape (TVT) for treatment of stress urinary incontinence in women with low-pressure urethraMichele Meschia
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ospedale G Fornaroli, Via Al Donatore di Sangue 52, 20013 Magenta, Milano, Italy
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 122:118-21. 2005To assess the results of TVT in patients with urinary stress incontinence, urethral hypermobility, and low-pressure urethra.
- Incidence and prevention of iatrogenic urethral injuriesCarol Kashefi
Division of Urology, University of California San Diego School of Medicine, San Diego, California 92103, USA
J Urol 179:2254-7; discussion 2257-8. 2008..We studied the incidence and mechanism of iatrogenic urinary catheter injuries occurring in adult male inpatients at a single institution. We also designed and implemented an intervention to prevent these injuries...
- Ultrasound assessment of mid-urethra tape at three-year follow-up after tension-free vaginal tape procedureTsia Shu Lo
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Linkou Medical Center, Tao Yuan Hsein, Taiwan, Republic of China
Urology 63:671-5. 2004..To evaluate the anatomic changes in the polypropylene mesh sling after a tension-free vaginal tape (TVT) procedure using introital ultrasonography in a prospective study...
- Morphological aspects of the female pig bladder neck and urethra: quantitative analysis using computer assisted 3-dimensional reconstructionsN Dass
Department of Pharmacology, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Urol 165:1294-9. 2001..urinary tract function and dysfunction, we sought to determine the morphology of the female pig bladder neck and urethra. Computer assisted 3-dimensional (D) reconstructions from step serial histological sections were used for ..
- Abnormal urethra formation in mouse models of split-hand/split-foot malformation type 1 and type 4Kentaro Suzuki
Center for Animal Resources and Development, Graduate School of Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
Eur J Hum Genet 16:36-44. 2008..plate (UP) and that targeted inactivation of these genes in the mouse results in UP defects leading to abnormal urethra formation...
- Posterior reconstruction of the rhabdosphincter allows a rapid recovery of continence after transperitoneal videolaparoscopic radical prostatectomyBernardo Rocco
Division of Urology, European Institute of Oncology, Milan, Italy
Eur Urol 51:996-1003. 2007..This study evaluated the application of this technique in videolaparoscopic radical prostatectomy (VLRP), assessing the percentage of continent patients at 3, 30, and 90 d after catheter removal...
- Adult stem cell therapy of female stress urinary incontinenceMichael Mitterberger
Department of Urology, University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Eur Urol 53:169-75. 2008..To investigate the efficacy of transurethral ultrasound (TUUS)-guided injections of autologous myoblasts and fibroblasts in women with incontinence...
- Effects of the association of androgen/estrogen on the bladder and urethra of castrated ratsA Madeiro
Department of Gynecology, Piaui State University, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol 29:117-20. 2002To study the effects of methyltestosterone, isolated or associated to estrogens, on the bladder and urethra of castrated adult rats.
- Urethral replacement using cell seeded tubularized collagen matricesRoger E De Filippo
Department of Urology, Children s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Urol 168:1789-92; discussion 1792-3. 2002..We investigated whether collagen matrices, either alone or with autologous cells, could be used for tubularized urethral replacement...
- Systematic review: noninvasive testing for Chlamydia trachomatis and Neisseria gonorrhoeaeRobert L Cook
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Ann Intern Med 142:914-25. 2005Testing of urine samples is noninvasive and could overcome several barriers to screening for chlamydial and gonococcal infections, but most test samples are obtained directly from the cervix or urethra.
- Long-term outcome of prenatally detected posterior urethral valves: single center study of 65 cases managed by primary valve ablationOsama Sarhan
Service de chirurgie et urologie pédiatrique, Universite Paris 7, Hopital Robert Debre, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
J Urol 179:307-12; discussion 312-3. 2008..Our aim was to assess long-term outcome of children with prenatally detected posterior urethral valves treated at our institution by primary valve ablation without routine urinary drainage or diversion...
- Bladder function associated with posterior urethral valves after primary valve ablation or proximal urinary diversion in children and adolescentsM Podesta
Department of Surgery, Hospital de Ninos Ricardo Gutierrez, Associated with the University of Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Urol 168:1830-5; discussion 1835. 2002....
- Initial surgical treatment as a determinant of bladder dysfunction in posterior urethral valvesA Puri
Department of Paediatric Surgery, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029, India
Pediatr Surg Int 18:438-43. 2002..Primary valve ablation is associated with better bladder function than vesicostomy and should be the treatment of choice in PUV. Also, vesicostomy and ureterostomy have distinctly different effects on bladder function...
- Functional anatomy of the prostate: implications for treatment planningPatrick W McLaughlin
Department of Radiation Oncology, Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 63:479-91. 2005..To summarize the functional anatomy relevant to prostate cancer treatment planning...
- Muscle derived stem cell therapy for stress urinary incontinenceMarc C Smaldone
Department of Urology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 3471 5th Avenue, Suite 700, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 3232, USA
World J Urol 26:327-32. 2008..The aim of this article is to discuss the potential of muscle-derived stem cells (MDSCs) for rhabdosphincter regeneration and to review the early clinical experiences with its application in patients with stress urinary incontinence...
- MR imaging of the male and female urethraJ Ryu
Department of Radiology, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, 50 Ilwon-dong, Kangnam-ku, Seoul 135-710, Korea
Radiographics 21:1169-85. 2001..VCUG], double-balloon catheter urethrography) and ultrasonography are useful in evaluating the anatomy of the urethra but are limited in demonstrating anatomic derangement of adjacent structures...
- Outcome of valve ablation in late-presenting posterior urethral valvesJustine M Schober
Hamot Medical Center, Urology, Erie, PA, USA
BJU Int 94:616-9. 2004....
- Microbial population diversity in the urethras of healthy males and males suffering from nonchlamydial, nongonococcal urethritisW A Riemersma
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, 3015 GD Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Microbiol 41:1977-86. 2003..of PCR products revealed that many different species of microorganisms were found to be colonizing the male urethra. We document here clear differences in the composition of the resident urethral flora between samples obtained ..
- Differential vulnerabilities of urethral afferents in diabetes and discovery of a novel urethra-to-urethra reflexZhongguang Yang
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 298:F118-24. 2010..Urethral smooth muscle LFOs are neurogenically mediated and induce EUS activity, revealing the existence of a hitherto undescribed reflex pathway: a smooth-to-striated muscle urethra-to-urethra reflex.
- Phosphodiesterase 5 in the female pig and human urethra: morphological and functional aspectsViktoria Werkström
Department of Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology, Institute for Laboratory Medicine, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
BJU Int 98:414-23. 2006..and to evaluate the effect of pharmacological inhibition of PDE-5 in isolated preparations of pig and human urethra, as the nitric oxide (NO)/cGMP pathway generates the main inhibitory signals to reduce resistance in the bladder ..
- Vesicoureteral reflux: can the urethra be adequately assessed by using contrast-enhanced voiding US of the bladder?Teresa Berrocal
Department of Pediatric Radiology, University Hospital La Paz, Paseo de la Castellana 246, 28046 Madrid, Spain
Radiology 234:235-41. 2005To prospectively evaluate contrast material-enhanced voiding ultrasonography (US) for assessment of the urethra by using voiding cystourethrography (VCUG) as the reference standard.
- Cost-effectiveness analysis at the development phase of a potential health technology: examples based on tissue engineering of bladder and urethraHelen McAteer
Department of Public Health and Epidemiology, Public Health Building, University of Birmingham, UK
J Tissue Eng Regen Med 1:343-9. 2007..Our examples are based on proposed tissue engineering applications in the urinary tract. We show that health economics have a role in strengthening the supply side, not just the demand side of the health economy...
- Air charged and microtip catheters cannot be used interchangeably for urethral pressure measurement: a prospective, single-blind, randomized trialPascal Zehnder
Department of Urology, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
J Urol 180:1013-7. 2008..We determined and compared urethral pressure measurements using air charged and microtip catheters in a prospective, single-blind, randomized trial...
- The prefabricated pedicled anterolateral thigh flap for reconstruction of a full-thickness defect of the urethraOmer Ozkan
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Akdeniz University School of Medicine, Antalya, Turkey
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 62:380-4. 2009..we present our experience with a prefabricated anterolateral thigh flap used for a full-thickness defect of the urethra. The flap was used in a 40-year-old male patient with a defect located on the proximal penile region, including ..
- Serotonin and norepinephrine involvement in efferent pathways to the urethral rhabdosphincter: implications for treating stress urinary incontinenceKarl B Thor
Dynogen Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Durham, North Carolina 27709, USA
Urology 62:3-9. 2003..Early trials have demonstrated that duloxetine significantly reduces incontinence episodes and is well tolerated in the clinical setting...
- Ex vivo biomechanical, functional, and immunohistochemical alterations of adrenergic responses in the female urethra in a rat model of birth traumaRachelle Prantil-Baun
Department of Bioengineering, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 299:F316-24. 2010..aimed to assess changes in the biomechanical properties and adrenergic-evoked contractile responses of the rat urethra after simulated birth trauma induced by vaginal distension (VD)...
- Leiomyoma of the female urethra. A case reportP M Deka
Department of Urology, Gauhati Medical College Hospital, Guwahati, Assam, India
Urol Int 71:224-5. 2003We report a case of leiomyoma of the female urethra and a review of the literature. A mass protruding from the urethral meatus caused voiding difficulty and dysuria. Uroflowmetry showed an obstructive pattern with low maximum urine flow...
- Pharmacological properties of 2-((R-5-chloro-4-methoxymethylindan-1-yl)-1H-imidazole (PF-3774076), a novel and selective alpha1A-adrenergic partial agonist, in in vitro and in vivo models of urethral functionKelly Conlon
Department of Genitourinary Biology, Pfizer Global Research and Development, Ramsgate Road, Sandwich, Kent, CT13 9NJ
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 330:892-901. 2009..female dogs in a dose-dependent manner, inducing changes in both the proximal and distal portions of the urethra via a central mechanism of action...
- Congenital anomalies of the male urethraTerry L Levin
Department of Radiology, Children s Hospital at Montefiore Medical Center, 714 Forest Ave, Mamaroneck, NY 10543, USA
Pediatr Radiol 37:851-62; quiz 945. 2007The spectrum of congenital anomalies of the male urethra is presented. The embryologic basis of each anomaly, when known, is discussed. Clinical and imaging features of each entity are presented.
- Development of the mammalian urethra is controlled by Fgfr2-IIIbAnita Petiot
Cancer Research UK, Lincoln s Inn Fields, London WC2A 3PX, UK
Development 132:2441-50. 2005..affecting one in every 250 children, the molecular mechanisms that regulate morphogenesis of the mammalian urethra are poorly understood...
- Contrast ultrasound of the urethra in childrenAlejandro Maté
Department of Radiology, Hospital Juan Canalejo, Xubias de Arriba 84, 15006 A Coruna, Spain
Eur Radiol 13:1534-7. 2003The aim of this study was to report our experience with transperineal ultrasound in studying the urethra, as a complementary technique to contrast-enhanced voiding urosonography (VUS)...
- Frequency-dependent selection of reflexes by pudendal afferents in the catJoseph W Boggs
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
J Physiol 577:115-26. 2006..The ability to control the two principal functions of the bladder by pudendal nerve stimulation is an exciting prospect for neurorehabilitation...
- Glycosaminoglycan profile in bladder and urethra of castrated rats treated with estrogen, progestogen, and raloxifeneJosé M de Deus
Departments of Gynecology and Biochemistry, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Am J Obstet Gynecol 189:1654-9. 2003..estrogens alone, medroxyprogesterone, the combination of these estrogens with progestogens, and of raloxifene on the glycosaminoglycan profile in the bladder and urethra of adult oophorectomized rats in comparison with noncastrated rats.
- The striated urethral sphincter in female ratsChristophe Praud
Atelier de Regeneration Neuromusculaire, Faculté de médecine St Antoine, 27 rue Chaligny, 75571 Paris Cedex 12, France
Anat Embryol (Berl) 207:169-75. 2003..for photonic microscopy and immunochemistry were applied to cross and longitudinal sections of snap-frozen urethra. With hematoxylin-eosin stained cross sections, striated fibers are of small diameter and attached directly to ..
- Pharmacologic targets on the female urethraA Erdem Canda
Manisa State Hospital, Urology Clinic, Manisa, Turkey
Urol Int 80:341-54. 2008This article reviews the mechanisms affecting contraction and relaxation of the urethra in order to establish a basis for current and future treatments for urinary incontinence in women.
- In vivo dosimetry using a linear Mosfet-array dosimeter to determine the urethra dose in 125I permanent prostate implantsEsther J Bloemen-van Gurp
Department of Radiation Oncology, Maastro Clinic, Research Institute Growth and Development GROW, University Hospital Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 73:314-21. 2009..We present the results of a study using metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor (MOSFET) dosimeters to evaluate the dose in the urethra after a permanent prostate implantation procedure.
- Histologic changes after urethroplasty using small intestinal submucosa unseeded with cells in rabbits with injured urethraGustavo Martín Villoldo
Department of Urology, Italian Hospital of Buenos Aires, Argentina
Urology 81:1380.e1-5. 2013..To determine whether small intestine submucosa has the same regenerative capacity when urethroplasty is performed in injured urethras...
- The concentration of elastic fibres in the male urethra during human fetal developmentAna L Bastos
Urogenital Research Unit, State University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
BJU Int 94:620-3. 2004To describe the distribution of elastic fibres in the developing male urethra and to provide stereological data of the concentration of elastic fibres in the human urethra.
- Role of mitochondria in modulation of spontaneous Ca2+ waves in freshly dispersed interstitial cells of Cajal from the rabbit urethraGerard P Sergeant
The Smooth Muscle Research Centre, Dundalk Institute of Technology, Dundalk, Co Louth, Ireland
J Physiol 586:4631-42. 2008Interstitial cells of Cajal (ICC) isolated from the rabbit urethra exhibit pacemaker activity that results from spontaneous Ca(2+) waves...
- Posterior musculofascial reconstruction after radical prostatectomy: a systematic review of the literatureBernardo Rocco
Clinica Urologica I Università degli Studi di Milano, Fondazione IRCCS Ca Granda, Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Milan, Italy
Eur Urol 62:779-90. 2012..Since then, many surgeons have applied this technique-either as it was described or with some modification-to open, laparoscopic, and robot-assisted RP...
- Posterior and anterior fixation of the urethra during robotic prostatectomy improves early continence ratesNikolaos Koliakos
Urology Clinic, OLV Hospital, Aalst, Belgium
Scand J Urol Nephrol 44:5-10. 2010..To investigate whether posterior and anterior fixation of the vesicourethral anastomosis during robotic radical prostatectomy (RRP) helps to establish continence earlier...
- Posterior urethral valves: multivariate analysis of factors affecting the final renal outcomeOsama M Sarhan
Urology and Nephrology Center, Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
J Urol 185:2491-5. 2011..Posterior urethral valves represent the most common obstructive uropathy in children with a broad spectrum of clinical severity. We evaluated prognostic variables affecting the outcome of renal function in such children...
- Biphasic urethral sphincter responses to acetic acid infusion into the lower urinary tract in anesthetized catsZ Chen
Department of Molecular Pharmacology, GlaxoSmithKline, Inc, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA
J Urol 166:1539-48. 2001..Spinal muscarinic cholinergic and alpha-adrenergic receptors are involved in acetic acid induced excitatory external urethral sphincter responses...
- Clinicopathologic significance of high signal intensity on diffusion-weighted MR imaging in the ureter, urethra, prostate and bone of patients with bladder cancerMitsuru Takeuchi
Department of Radiology, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, 1 Kawasumi Mizuho cho, Mizuho ku, Nagoya Aichi, 467 8601, Japan
Acad Radiol 19:827-33. 2012The aim of this study was to determine the clinicopathologic significance of high-intensity areas in the ureter, urethra, prostate, and bone incidentally found on diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging (DWI) for the staging of ..
- Risk factors for progression to end-stage renal disease in children with posterior urethral valvesM S Ansari
Department of Urology and Renal Transplantation, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Raibreli Road, Lucknow U P 226014, India
J Pediatr Urol 6:261-4. 2010..To identify the variables which affect long-term renal outcome in children with posterior urethral valves (PUV)...
- Sonic hedgehog signaling from the urethral epithelium controls external genital developmentClaire L Perriton
Division of Zoology, University of Reading, Whiteknights, United Kingdom
Dev Biol 247:26-46. 2002....
- Three-dimensional ultrasonographic assessment of compression effect on urethra following tension-free vaginal tape and transobturator tape proceduresK L Lin
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 39:452-7. 2012To compare the anatomical difference using three-dimensional (3D) ultrasound between the urethra at rest and during straining, in women who have undergone a tension-free vaginal tape (TVT) or TVT-obturator tape (TVT-O) procedure for ..
- Straddle injuries to the bulbar urethra: management and outcome in 53 patientsMohammed Abd alla Elgammal
Department of Urology, Assiut University Hospital, Assiut, Egypt
Int Braz J Urol 35:450-8. 2009To describe our experience with blunt injuries to the bulbar urethra and their late sequelae to identify factors that may affect patient outcome.
- Urodynamic evaluation of female cats with idiopathic cystitisChristine H Wu
Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital, Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Am J Vet Res 72:578-82. 2011..To compare values of urodynamic measurements of cats with idiopathic cystitis (IC) with previously published data for healthy female cats...
- Urethra low-dose tunnels: validation of and class solution for generating urethra-sparing dose plans using inverse planning simulated annealing for prostate high-dose-rate brachytherapyJ Adam M Cunha
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
Brachytherapy 11:348-53. 2012..This work describes a dose planning method that uses inverse planning to create a low-dose tunnel around the urethra and presents a class solution to achieve this additional dose sparing of the urethra.
- The role of M2 muscarinic receptor subtypes mediating contraction of the circular and longitudinal smooth muscle of the pig proximal urethraTomonori Yamanishi
Department of Biomedical Science, University of Sheffield, United Kingdom
J Urol 168:308-14. 2002We investigated the characterization of muscarinic receptor subtypes in the female pig urethra.
- Presence of the Ca2+-activated chloride channel anoctamin 1 in the urethra and its role in excitatory neurotransmissionMaria Sancho
Dept of Physiology, Veterinary School, Madrid, Spain
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 302:F390-400. 2012We investigated the cellular distribution of the calcium-activated chloride channel (CaCC), anoctamin 1, in the urethra of mice, rats, and sheep by both immunofluorescence and PCR...
- Transurethral incision of congenital obstructive lesions in the posterior urethra in boys and its effect on urinary incontinence and urodynamic studyShigeru Nakamura
Department of Paediatric Urology, Jichi Medical University, Children s Medical Center, Tochigi, Japan
BJU Int 107:1304-11. 2011..The result of the study urges us to be more keen to diagnose and treat the mild congenial urethral obstruction as well as the concomitant functional obstruction in boys with nocturnal enuresis...
- Urethral flow-responsive afferents in the cat sacral dorsal root gangliaAndre E Snellings
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708 0281, USA
Neurosci Lett 516:34-8. 2012Although sensory feedback from the urethra plays an integral role in the regulation of lower urinary tract function, little is known about the properties of flow-responsive primary afferent neurons...
- Full functional-length urethral sphincter preservation during radical prostatectomyThorsten Schlomm
Martini Clinic, Prostate Cancer Centre, University Medical Centre Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Eur Urol 60:320-9. 2011..A key prerequisite for urinary continence after radical prostatectomy (RP) is the functional length of the urethral sphincter and the stabilisation of its anatomic position within the pelvic floor...
- Bladder neck contracture after antegrade fulguration of posterior urethral valves--unusual long-term complicationRahul Janak Sinha
Department of Urology, Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
Urology 73:791-3; discussion 793-4. 2009..This case report also discusses the possible mechanisms of bladder neck contracture, its management in brief, and highlights the importance of long-term follow-up of these patients...
- Origin and characterization of retrograde labeled neurons supplying the rat urethra using fiberoptic confocal fluorescent microscopy in vivo and immunohistochemistryKeon Cheol Lee
Department of Urology, Inje University School of Medicine, Ilsanpaik Hospital, Goyang si, Korea
J Urol 184:1550-4. 2010..Using a retrograde axonal tracer combined with real-time in vivo imaging and ex vivo immunohistochemistry we determined the course and type of neurons supplying urethral smooth muscle distal to the prostate in the rat...
- The structure and innervation of the male urethra: histological and immunohistochemical studies with three-dimensional reconstructionI Karam
Rene Descartes University, Faculty of Medicine Paris V Institute of Anatomy, Paris, France
J Anat 206:395-403. 2005..or it extends from the base of the bladder up to the urogenital diaphragm and is an integral part of the urethra. It is also uncertain whether it possesses a somatic innervation or a mixed innervation (i.e...
- Newborn with persistent cloaca presenting with accessory phallic urethra and ambiguous genitaliaLuis H P Braga
Division of Pediatric Urology, McMaster Children s Hospital, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Urology 78:680-3. 2011..the case of an infant girl with a cloacal malformation, having a single perineal orifice and an accessory phallic urethra, who presented with ambiguous genitalia at birth...
- Use of a new local anesthesia--intracorpus spongiosum anesthesia--in procedures on anterior urethraGang Ye
Department of Urology, Xinqiao Hospital, The Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China
Int J Urol 12:365-8. 2005Urologists often perform procedures on anterior urethra, which is one of the most sensitive parts in male patients...
- Superficial urothelial cancer in the prostatic urethraZiya Kirkali
Dokuz Eylul University School of Medicine Department of Urology, Izmir, Turkey
ScientificWorldJournal 6:2603-10. 2006Transitional cell carcinoma (TCC) is a multifocal disease of the urinary tract that can also involve the prostatic urethra (PU). The exact incidence of superficial involvement of the PU in patients with bladder TCC is not well known...
- In vivo dosimetry in the urethra using alanine/ESR during (192)Ir HDR brachytherapy of prostate cancer--a phantom studyMathias Anton
Physikalisch Technische Bundesanstalt, Braunschweig, Germany
Phys Med Biol 54:2915-31. 2009A phantom study for dosimetry in the urethra using alanine/ESR during (192)Ir HDR brachytherapy of prostate cancer is presented...
- Lack of the complete circular rhabdosphincter and a distinct circular smooth muscle layer around the proximal urethra in elderly Japanese women: an anatomical studyMakoto Kurihara
Department of Urology, Division of Frontier Medical Science, Programs for Biomedical Research, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima University, 1 2 3 Kasumi, Minamiku, 734 8551, Hiroshima City, Hiroshima, Japan
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 15:85-94; discussion 94. 2004..We therefore hypothesize that upward retraction of the midurethra by the URS, compression of the distal urethra by its posterolateral extensions, and tonus provided by the outer circular smooth muscle layer all contribute to ..
- The development of the male genitourinary system: III. The formation of the spongiose and glandar urethraP J Hynes
Department of Anatomy, University College, Cork, Ireland
Br J Plast Surg 57:203-14. 2004..This is subsequently transformed into the urethra by fusion of the urethral folds, which flank its sides...
- Prognostic value of serum creatinine levels in children with posterior urethral valves treated by primary valve ablationOsama Sarhan
Urology and Nephrology Center, Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
J Pediatr Urol 6:11-4. 2010..We evaluated the prognostic value of serum creatinine level at presentation and nadir creatinine during follow up for future renal function (RF) in children with posterior urethral valves (PUV)...
- Neural control of the urethra and development of pharmacotherapy for stress urinary incontinenceM O Fraser
Department of Urology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
BJU Int 91:743-8. 2003This review discusses the control of the urethra by the central nervous system, emphasizing the importance of nervous system control and the role of serotonin and noradrenaline in storage, micturition and sphincter reflexes...
- Posterior urethral valves: primary voiding pressures and kidney function in infantsSeppo Taskinen
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Hospital for Children and Adolescents, Helsinki, Finland
J Urol 182:699-702; discussion 702-3. 2009..We evaluated whether high voiding pressures in patients with posterior urethral valves are associated with reduced kidney function...
- Bone-marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cell transplantation enhances closing pressure and leak point pressure in a female urinary incontinence rat modelSun Ouck Kim
Department of Urology, Chonnam National University Medical School, Gwangju, Republic of Korea
Urol Int 86:110-6. 2011..The purpose of this study was to determine whether periurethral injection of allogenic mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) could increase the leak point pressure (LPP) in a rat model of stress urinary incontinence...
- Dopaminergic D2 receptors activate PKA to inhibit spinal pelvic-urethra reflex in ratsHsi Chin Wu
China Medical University Hospital, China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 299:F681-6. 2010..of dopaminergic D2 receptor (DR2)-selective agonists and antagonists on repetitive stimulation-induced pelvic-to-urethra spinal reflex potentiation (SRP) were tested using in vivo rat preparations...
- The urethral valve of Guérin and lacuna magna: clinical presentations and urodynamic findingsAbdol Mohammad Kajbafzadeh
Pediatric Urology Research Center, Department of Urology, Children s Hospital Medical Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Pediatr Surg Int 23:873-8. 2007..The lesion may be associated with obstructive urodynamic patterns in some children. Endoscopic treatment of patients effectively relieves the symptoms and corrects the urodynamic abnormalities...
- Impact of congenital narrowing of the bulbar urethra (Cobb's collar) and its transurethral incision in childrenK Nonomura
Department of Urology, Hokkaido University School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
Eur Urol 36:144-8; discussion 149. 1999We described the clinical manifestation and outcome after transurethral incision (TUI) of a congenital narrowing of the bulbar urethra (Cobb's collar).
- Urodynamic findings of posterior urethral valve patientsH Emir
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Istanbul University, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Istanbul, Turkey
Eur J Pediatr Surg 12:38-41. 2002..Urodynamic investigations may help us to design the proper treatment according to the bladder function...
- Renal function reserve in children with posterior urethral valve: a novel test to predict long-term outcomeM S Ansari
Department of Urology and Renal Transplantation, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, India
J Urol 185:2329-33. 2011..There is a need to identify early the subset of patients who are at increased risk for renal failure...
- Function and regulation of elemental Ca2+ signaling in urethral smooth muscleRonghua Zhuge; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, their functions and underlying mechanisms in smooth muscle from urethra, an organ critical for maintaining urinary continence, are poorly understood...
- Tissue recovery in the pathophysiology of stress urinary incontinenceAdonis K Hijaz; Fiscal Year: 2013..chemotactic protein-3 (MCP-3)- a mesenchymal stem cell (MSC) homing cytokine- is dramatically increased in the urethra;and d) selective homing of intravenously infused MSCs to the urethra following VD is associated with an ..
- Regenerative Adjuvant Therapy for Stress Urinary IncontinenceMargot S Damaser; Fiscal Year: 2011..therapeutic benefit can be achieved through the systemic delivery of MSCs due to homing of these cells to the urethra &pelvic organs via a cytokine-receptor-mediated mechanism...
- Gene Networks in Neural Crest-derived Innervation of the Lower Urinary TractE MICHELLE MICHELLE SOUTHARD SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2010..NC progenitors that populate the LUT and give rise to pelvic ganglia and neural components of the bladder and urethra express a unique complement of receptors and signaling molecules that guide the phases of their migration...
- Arrayed Lateral Flow Biosensor for Rapid Molecular Identification of UTI-RelatedAnjal C Sharma; Fiscal Year: 2012..RELEVANCE: A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection that can happen anywhere along the urinary tract (urethra, bladder, kidneys, and ureters)...
- Transcriptional mechanisms of lower urinary tract developmentGerald Mingin; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Congenital abnormalities of the upper (kidney) and lower (ureter, bladder, urethra and external genitalia) urinary tracts are diagnosed at a rate of 1 in 500 prenatal ultrasounds...
- Directed differentiation of embryonic stem cells for urologic applicationsJames A Bassuk; Fiscal Year: 2010..or neurogenic bladder (spina bifida or multiple sclerosis) and (ii) epithelial tubes for reconstruction of the urethra due to trauma, stricture disease or hypospadias (a common birth defect in boys)...
- Mapping serotonin receptors in lower urinary tract innervationE Michelle Southard-Smith; Fiscal Year: 2013..to generate fundamental knowledge that will increase understanding of nociceptive processes in the bladder and urethra by identifying the distribution of 5-HTRs in pelvic innervation during development and maturation of the lower ..
- Disposable Valved Intraurethral Catheter FeasibilityHarvey D Homan; Fiscal Year: 2010..The Surinate(tm) valved catheter is designed to be easily inserted into the urethra without surgery, extracted easily, and replaced every 28 days...
- The role of MID1/MID2 in regulating epithelial adhesionCATHERINE KOTO; Fiscal Year: 2013..Both the formation of the lip and the urethra involve fusion of freely projecting epithelial-covered tissue...
- Murine slow onset outlet obstruction as a model of human voiding dysfunctionRonald W Wood; Fiscal Year: 2010..Preclinical models mimic this by suddenly tightening a ligature around the urethra, resulting in onset of Dl in a few weeks;instant onset of urethral constriction is likely to differ importantly ..
- Steroid hormones and SFRP1 in the age-related incidence of BPH and BOOPaul C Marker; Fiscal Year: 2013..benign enlargement of the prostate that was associated with the appearance of proliferating foci along the urethra that resembled developmental prostatic buds, changes in the morphology of the prostatic peri- urethral region, ..
- Primate Model of Mycoplasma genitaliumPatricia A Totten; Fiscal Year: 2010..genitalium to cause disease and persist in the urethra, vagina, cervix, and oviducts of these animals...
- Molecular Events in Urinary Tract FormationCATHY LEE MENDELSOHN; Fiscal Year: 2012..The bladder and urethra form independently of the kidney and ureter, connecting at midgestation to form a patent outflow tract...
- Bladder Wall Remodeling in LUTSSamuel K Chacko; Fiscal Year: 2012..a resource for smooth muscle tissue of the LUTS from rabbits, rats, and mice (normal and obstructed bladders and urethra)...
- Mechanisms/Treatments of Lower Urinary Tract Dysfunction After Spinal Cord InjuryANTHONY JOHN KANAI; Fiscal Year: 2013..multifaceted involving changes in the spinal cord, peripheral neurons and different cell types in the bladder and urethra leading to detrusorsphincter- dyssynergia, urothelial cell hyperplasia, interstitial cell pacemaker activity, ..
- Mechanism and Prevention of Female Stress Urinary IncontinenceTom F Lue; Fiscal Year: 2013..effective preventive or medical option for stress urinary incontinence (SUI) other than surgical elevation of the urethra with sutures or a synthetic sling...
- Symptoms of Lower Urinary Tract Dysfunction Research Network (LURN)Karl J Kreder; Fiscal Year: 2013..g. bladder, urethra, vagina, prostate and/or pelvic floor muscle dysfunction), we hypothesize that many patients have central or ..
- Bladder, Urethra and Anal Sphincter ReinnervationMICHAEL RAYMOND RUGGIERI; Fiscal Year: 2013..GF nerve into the bladder through the vesical branch of the pelvic nerve may reach all the way down to the urethra to reinnervate the internal smooth muscle sphincter and external skeletal muscle sphincter...
- Surgical Laser device development for precise or bulk ablation of urologic tissueJonathon D Wells; Fiscal Year: 2010..the standard of care for many treatments and endoscopic procedures in the prostate, kidney, ureter, bladder, and urethra. Still, current state-of-the-art devices suffer from a number of limitations including limited adjustability of ..
- Hypospadias: Morphogenesis of the Proximal UrethraChristine E Larkins; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Hypospadias is a congenital defect characterized by an ectopic opening of the urethra on the ventral side of the penis...
- Regeneration of the Pelvic and Urethral Supports by Muscle Derived Stem CellsMatthew Ho; Fiscal Year: 2009..goal to regenerate and restore normal function of the pelvic support to the bladder, urethrovesical junction, and urethra. In recent years, adult stem cell implantation has been shown to regenerate myofibers in atrophic or injured ..
- Generating molecular markers that selectively label urothelial sub-populationsCATHY LEE MENDELSOHN; Fiscal Year: 2013..provided by applicant): The urinary outflow tract, including the renal pelvis, ureters, bladder and upper urethra, is lined by a specialized stratified epithelium called the urothelium, composed of a basal layer, an ..
- Neural Crest Contributions to the Lower Urinary TractE Michelle Southard-Smith; Fiscal Year: 2012Innervation of the bladder and urethra determines appropriate bladder contractility and regulates urinary continence...
- Defensins in STI-Mediated Enhanced HIV InfectivityTheresa L Chang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Induction of HD5 has been reported in the male urethra during C. trachomatis and N...
- Visualization of Pelvic Floor ReflexesCHRISTOS EURIPIDES CONSTANTINOU; Fiscal Year: 2010..Incontinence (SUI) can be highlighted by analyzing the activities of an anatomical triangle comprising of the Urethra-Vesical Junction (UVJ), Ano-Rectal Angle (ARA) and Symphysis Pubis (SP)...
- Stimulation mediated sensory enhancement of the urethral afferentsZachary C Danziger; Fiscal Year: 2013..feature common to most cases of urinary retention is a reduced neural sensitivity for detecting fluid flow in the urethra. This reduction in sensitivity, in turn, limits the effectivenes of reflexes that naturally control bladder ..
- Myosin Isoforms in Urinary Bladder FunctionMuthu Periasamy; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our hypothesis is that regulated expression of SM1/SM2 isoforms in the bladder body and urethra is critical for the functional maturation of urinary system...
- MECHANISMS OF INCONTINENCE FOLLOWING VAGINAL DISTENSIONMargot S Damaser; Fiscal Year: 2010..This includes the external urethral sphincter (EDS), the skeletal muscle of the urethra, which can become hypoxic during vaginal distension...
- Detecting Prostate Cancer using multi-protocol 3 Tesla in vivo MRI and MRSAnant Madabhushi; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed work has translational implications in, structures (urethra and rectal wall) by directing therapy towards specific areas determined as tumor by CAD.
- Biomimetic stimulation of the sacral DRG to control continence and micturitionANDRE ELLIOTT SNELLINGS; Fiscal Year: 2010..A secondary objective is to identify putative flow receptors within the urethra that may detect turbulent flow and mediate an excitatory micturition reflex through the pudendal nerve...
- SEMEN IN TRANSMISSION OF HIVPhalguni Gupta; Fiscal Year: 2010..The level of viral RNA in prostate, seminal vesicle, testes, vas-deference and urethra in HIV-1-infected subjects before and after therapy will be measured...
- The Urethral Sleeve Sensor_A Novel Method of Measuring Urethral PressureCHARLES WILLIAM NAGER; Fiscal Year: 2012..Current instruments are withdrawn through the length of the urethra with a puller device and can only measure urethral pressure at small discrete points while the urethra is at rest...
- BPA: Cellular and epigenetic effects on the urethraFrederick S vom Saal; Fiscal Year: 2013..both male and female rats and mice show that changes in periurethral gland development and malformations ofthe urethra are caused by estrogenic chemicals, including BPA, but specific effects are different at low and high doses...
- A safer urinary catheter design to reduce catheter trauma and infectionsBUZZY BONNEAU; Fiscal Year: 2013..When the retention balloon is inflated within the narrow lumen of the urethra a great deal of damage can be done to the patient...
- Integrated Photoacoustic Ultrasound Real-time Imaging for Brachytherapy TreatmentEverette C Burdette; Fiscal Year: 2013..irradiating the prostate while avoiding excessive radiation to surrounding organs, most importantly the urethra and rectum...
- Urinary Diversion Among Bladder Cancer Survivors: Cost, Complications, and QOLCARMIT KURN MCMULLEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..allow patients to pass urine by creating a new bladder (neobladder) that allows urine to flow through the urethra, or by creating an ileal conduit leading to an opening in the abdomen (urostomy)...
- Electromechanical Modeling Approach in Assessing Female SUIYingchun Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2011..of this research would lead to a minimally invasive technique to quantitatively assess urethrovaginal support and urethra function in women which are common etiologic factors associated with stress urinary incontinence (SUI)...
- Salpingeal infection model of Mycoplasma genitaliumPatricia A Totten; Fiscal Year: 2010..genitalium to cause disease and persist in the urethra, vagina, cervix, and oviducts of these animals...
- Randomized Trial/Reduce Recurrence/Bacterial VaginosisKing Holmes; Fiscal Year: 2004..However, our preliminary work has demonstrated BV- associated morphotypes in the urethra of male partners of women with BV significantly more often than in the urethra of male partners of women without ..
- Functional characterizations of the Sdx1 domain during cloacal septationXUE SEAN LI; Fiscal Year: 2012..The dorsal compartment forms the rectum and anus, and the ventral urogenital sinus gives rise to the bladder and urethra. Cloacal septation is also linked with formation of the external genital tubercle and urethral tube;as a result, ..
- Foley Urological Catheter Insertion Tool and MethodTHOMAS WILLIAM WINEGAR; Fiscal Year: 2011..catheter on a single insertion, yielding a technique that significantly reduces the amount of manipulation of the urethra that is required...
- Urethral Microbiome of Adolescent MalesJ Dennis Fortenberry; Fiscal Year: 2012Abstract The microflora of the anterior male urethra during adolescence is poorly described and no data address the range of "typical" urethral microflora during adolescence as functions of pubertal development or onset of various types ..
- Novel Strategies in Bladder Tissue Engineering: Stem Cells and Silk BiomaterialsJOSHUA ROBERT MAUNEY; Fiscal Year: 2012..This study will provide new information that is wider in scope than our specific goals and which may be applicable for repair of other urogenital tissues (e.g. urethra) and possibly other hollow organs.
- Visualization and real-time dosimetry for prostate brachytherapy using ultrasoundSeptimiu Salcudean; Fiscal Year: 2007..a pattern that delivers a sufficient radiation dose to kill the cancer while maintaining a tolerable dose to the urethra and rectum...
- Evaluation of MRI-controlled transurethral ultrasound therapy for the treatment oLinda Sugar; Fiscal Year: 2012..regions in the prostate gland using high-intensity ultrasound energy delivered from a device inserted into the urethra. The unique feature of this treatment is that it is performed entirely within a magnetic resonance imager, which ..
- Regulaton of Urothelial GrowthTung Tien Sun; Fiscal Year: 2007The luminal surface of the entire lower urinary tract including renal pelvis, ureter, bladder and proximal urethra is lined by a cell type described in standard textbooks as the transitional epithelium or urothelium, which is ..
- DUKE UNINARY CONTINENCE TREATMENT CENTERRichard Bump; Fiscal Year: 2000..Most GSI results from bladder neck hypermobility (BNHM) with inefficient transmission of pressure to the urethra so that bladder pressure exceeds urethral pressure at the instant of a physical stress...
- Computer Directed Photodynamic Therapy of Prostate CaJerzy Jankun; Fiscal Year: 2005..In this case, the light is delivered by diffusers placed within the substance of the prostate parallel to the urethra at a distance optimized to deliver adequate levels of light and to create the desired photodynamic effect...
- AFFERENT PLASTICITY UNDERLYING URETHRAL AND PELVIC PAINNaoki Yoshimura; Fiscal Year: 2010..is a considerable heterogeneity in afferent fiber populations in visceral neural pathways to the bladder/proximal urethra and somatic neural pathways to the external urethral sphincter (EUS)/pelvic floor, and (2) tissue inflammation of ..
- Disposable Valved Intraurethral Catheter FeasibilityPhillip Davis; Fiscal Year: 2005..The device is inserted into the urethra without surgery, is extracted easily, and will be intended to be replaced every 28 days...
- SPINAL ORGANIZATION OF FUNCTIONKevin McKenna; Fiscal Year: 1991..a unifying hypothesis which proposes that ejaculation is induced by mechanical and chemical stimulation of the urethra by seminal fluids...
- POPULATION BASED STUDY OF LOWER URINARY TRACT TUMORSLoraine Marrett; Fiscal Year: 1980..bladder tumor (BT) and other lower urinary tract tumors (LUTT), including tumors of the renal pelvis, ureter, and urethra. The study employs two types of epidemiologic data: 1) interview data on a wide range of possible risk factors; ..
- The role of FoxA1 and FoxA2 in development of the anogenital systemSARA ELIZABETH PATTERSON; Fiscal Year: 2009..genitalia during later patterning stages to determine temporal role of FoxAl and FoxA2 in morphogenesis of the urethra. To test the hypothesis that FoxAl and FoxA2 initiate molecular patterning within the external genitalia, we will ..
- IMMUNITY TO STDS IN THE HUMAN MALE GENITAL TRACTDeborah Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2004..molecules in different regions of the male genital tract; 2) immortalized epithelial cell lines from prostate, urethra and seminal vesicles and STD organisms for in vitro studies of effects of infection on gene regulation of defense ..
- NOVEL ULTRASONIC IMAGING OF BRACHYTHERAPY SEEDSERNEST FELEPPA; Fiscal Year: 2000..that the delivered dose reaches the prescription level while not exceeding limits for other regions, such as the urethra, that are to be spared...
- Study of Intrinsic Bladder Activity by Optical ImagingAnthony Kanai; Fiscal Year: 2007..Rat bladders will be excised, cannulated at the urethra and stained/loaded with the appropriate fluorescent dyes...
- Transcriptional regulation of bladder-ureter developmentH Stadler; Fiscal Year: 2007..factor signaling directly affected cell proliferation and apoptosis, causing defects in the closure of ventral urethra as well as malformation of the excretory meatus...
- Cell Signaling and Lineage During Penile DevelopmentMartin Cohn; Fiscal Year: 2009..are therefore, (a) to generate a detailed spatial &temporal map of the cell lineage that forms the penile urethra, and (b) to define the mechanisms by which Sonic hedgehog (Shh), a key signaling molecule produced by urethral ..
- Regulation of Skp2 Expression in Urinary Bladder WallSTEVEN WEINTRAUB; Fiscal Year: 2005The normal urethra is highly distensible. Therefore, upon relaxation of the urethral and periurethral musculature, a small increase in bladder wall tension results in high urine flow rates...
- HOXA 13 REGULATION OF GENITOURINARY DEVELOPMENTH Stadler; Fiscal Year: 2002..are conserved, as targeted disruption of' Hoxa 13 results in malformation or agenesis of the prostate, uterus, urethra, ureter, MuIlerian ducts, vagina, rectum, and bladder...
- THERMOMETRY FOR ABLATION OF BENIGN PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIAKENNETH CARR; Fiscal Year: 2000..Transurethral microwave thermotherapy (TUMT) preserves the integrity of the urethra, reduces morbidity, and can be done without general anesthesia and hospitalization...
- EFFECT OF BLADDER OUTLET OBSTRUCTION DETRUSOR FUNCTIONWilliam Steers; Fiscal Year: 1991..bladder outlet obstruction will be created in male and female Sprague-Dawley rats by ligation of the proximal urethra over a 1 mm glass rod. Sham surgery will be performed in control rats...
- EFFECTS OF THE SENSORY NERVE SYSTEM ON BLADDER FUNCTIONReginald Bruskewitz; Fiscal Year: 1993..The role of prostate sensory nerves will be examined by surgical denervation of the prostate and prostatic urethra. Five experimental groups will be utilized: Group I--bladder outlet obstruction, Group II--bladder outlet ..