Genomes and Genes
Summary: The convoluted tubules in the TESTIS where sperm are produced (SPERMATOGENESIS) and conveyed to the RETE TESTIS. Spermatogenic tubules are composed of developing germ cells and the supporting SERTOLI CELLS.
Publications272 found, 100 shown here
- PKCtheta II, a new isoform of protein kinase C specifically expressed in the seminiferous tubules of mouse testisY S Niino
Institute of Molecular Oncology, Department of Pathology, Faculty of Dentistry and Center for Biotechnology, Showa University, 1 5 8 Hatanodai, Shinagawa ku, Tokyo 142 8555, Japan
J Biol Chem 276:36711-7. 2001..chain reaction of microdissected tissues clearly demonstrated that PKCthetaII is expressed in the seminiferous tubules of the mouse testis...
- Sertoli cell behaviors in developing testis cords and postnatal seminiferous tubules of the mouseLiesl Nel-Themaat
Department of Genetics, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, 77005, USA
Biol Reprod 84:342-50. 2011Sertoli cells are the primary structural component of the fetal testis cords and postnatal seminiferous tubules. Live imaging technologies facilitate the visualization of cell morphologies and behaviors through developmental processes...
- Derivation of male germ cells from induced pluripotent stem cells in vitro and in reconstituted seminiferous tubulesS Yang
Department of Urology, Sperm Development and Genetics Laboratory, Shanghai Human Sperm Bank, Shanghai Institute of Andrology, Renji Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
Cell Prolif 45:91-100. 2012..However, up to now it is not known whether iPS cells would be able to differentiate into male germ cells in vivo. The aim of this study was to explore differentiation potential of iPS cells to male germ cells in vitro and in vivo...
- Preparation, isolation and characterization of stage-specific spermatogenic cells for cellular and molecular analysisNoora Kotaja
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, CNRS INSERM, Universite Louis Pasteur, B P 163, 67404 Illkirch, Strasbourg, France
Nat Methods 1:249-54. 2004
- Mouse germ line stem cells undergo rapid and stochastic turnoverAllon M Klein
Department of Systems Biology, Harvard Medical School, 200 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell Stem Cell 7:214-24. 2010..These results suggest that short-lived stem cells may be a common feature of mammalian stem cell systems and reveal a natural mechanism for matching the rates of cell proliferation and loss in tissue...
- Ultrastructural study on cytotoxic effects of cyclosporine A in spermiogenesis in ratsHiroshi Masuda
Department of Urology, Osaka Medical College, Takatsuki, Japan
Med Electron Microsc 36:183-91. 2003..A prominent change in the seminiferous tubules was an occurrence of numerous residual bodies containing one or more flagella...
- De novo morphogenesis of seminiferous tubules from dissociated immature rat testicular cells in xenograftsKathrin Gassei
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Center for Research in Reproductive Physiology, Department of Cell Biology and Physiology, 3500 Terrace St, S362 Biomedical Science Towers, Pittsburgh PA 15261, USA
J Androl 27:611-8. 2006..The grafts were vascularized and contained elongated seminiferous tubules. Histologic analysis revealed the presence of a basement membrane, a histologically normal interstitium ..
- Production of functional spermatids from mouse germline stem cells in ectopically reconstituted seminiferous tubulesKaoru Kita
Department of Urology, Yokohama City University Graduate School of Medicine, Yokohama 236 0004, Japan
Biol Reprod 76:211-7. 2007Testicular germ cell transplantation into the seminiferous tubules is at present the only way to induce spermatogenesis from a given source of spermatogonial stem cells...
- Long-term culture of mouse male germline stem cells under serum-or feeder-free conditionsMito Kanatsu-Shinohara
Horizontal Medical Research Organization, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Biol Reprod 72:985-91. 2005..This culture system will provide a new opportunity for understanding the regulatory mechanism that governs spermatogonial stem cells...
- Estradiol acts as a germ cell survival factor in the human testis in vitroV Pentikäinen
Hospital for Children and Adolescents, University of Helsinki, Finland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:2057-67. 2000..effectively inhibited male germ cell apoptosis, which was induced in vitro by incubating segments of human seminiferous tubules without survival factors (i.e. serum and hormones)...
- Spermatogenesis following male germ-cell transplantationR L Brinster
Laboratory of Reproductive Physiology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91:11298-302. 1994..that stem cells isolated from testes of donor male mice will repopulate sterile testes when injected into seminiferous tubules. Donor cell spermatogenesis in recipient testes showed normal morpholigical characteristics and produced ..
- Seminiferous tubule degeneration and infertility in mice with sustained activation of WNT/CTNNB1 signaling in sertoli cellsAlexandre Boyer
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Biol Reprod 79:475-85. 2008..mice were sterile because of testicular atrophy starting at 5 wk of age, associated with degeneration of seminiferous tubules and the progressive loss of germ cells...
- Extracellular purines from cells of seminiferous tubulesDaniel Pens Gelain
Laboratório de Transdução de Sinal em Células Testiculares, Departamento de Bioquimica, Instituto de Ciencias Basicas da Saude, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Mol Cell Biochem 245:1-9. 2003..communication mediated by purines were proposed; however, the cellular source(s) of these molecules in seminiferous tubules remains unknown...
- Desert hedgehog (Dhh) gene is required in the mouse testis for formation of adult-type Leydig cells and normal development of peritubular cells and seminiferous tubulesA M Clark
Curis, Inc, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Biol Reprod 63:1825-38. 2000..contributed to other characteristics, such as extracordal gonocytes, apolar Sertoli cells, and anastomotic seminiferous tubules. The two DHH:-null phenotypes described have common peritubular cell defects that may be indicative of the ..
- Non-random distribution of spermatogonia in rats: evidence of niches in the seminiferous tubulesH Chiarini-Garcia
Laboratory of Cellular Biology, Department of Morphology, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG 31270 901, Brazil
Reproduction 126:669-80. 2003..the results of this study strongly indicate that the most primitive type A spermatogonia (A(s), A(paired) and A(al)) in rats are present in niches located in those areas of the seminiferous tubules that border the interstitial tissue.
- Germline stem cell transplantation and transgenesisRalph L Brinster
Department of Animal Biology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, 3850 Baltimore Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Science 296:2174-6. 2002..The technique also is being used to examine spermatogenic defects, correct male infertility, and generate transgenic animals...
- Toxicant-induced leakage of germ cell-specific proteins from seminiferous tubules in the rat: relationship to blood-testis barrier integrity and prospects for biomonitoringNaomi D Elkin
Medical Research Council Human Reproductive Sciences Unit, Centre for Reproductive Biology, The Queen s Medical Research Institute, Edinburgh EH16 4TJ, UK
Toxicol Sci 117:439-48. 2010..Previous studies suggested that disruption of spermatogenesis induced leakage of germ cell proteins from seminiferous tubules (STs) into interstitial fluid (IF); such proteins have potential for use as biomarkers...
- Immunofluorescence distribution of actin-associated proteins in human seminiferous tubules of adolescent testes, normal and pathologicG Santoro
Department of Biomorphology, University of Messina, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 23:369-75. 2000The aim of our study on human seminiferous tubules of adolescent testes was to study the localization of two actin-associated proteins of the adherens junctions, such as vinculin and talin, and to verify if there were modifications in ..
- The effects of an electromagnetic field on the boundary tissue of the seminiferous tubules of the rat: A light and transmission electron microscope studyA A Khaki
Department of Anatomy, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Folia Morphol (Warsz) 65:188-94. 2006..of EMF in order to observe recovery, if any, from the changes induced by EMF on the boundary tissue of the seminiferous tubules. The materials were processed and observed under a light and a transmission electron microscope...
- CKLFSF2 is highly expressed in testis and can be secreted into the seminiferous tubulesShuang Shi
Laboratory of Medical Immunology, School of Basic Medical Science, Peking University, 38 Xueyuan Road, Beijing 100083, China
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 37:1633-40. 2005..The data therefore strongly suggest that CKLFSF2 is a secreted protein that may be functionally relevant during spermatogenesis...
- Perturbation of spermatogenesis by androgen antagonists directly injected into seminiferous tubules of live miceKaz Nagaosa
Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology and Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa University, Kanazawa, Ishikawa 920 1192, Japan
Reproduction 133:21-7. 2007..We injected the androgen antagonists, flutamide and vinclozolin, directly into seminiferous tubules of live mice, which had been treated with busulfan for a temporal arrest of spermatogenesis, and the testes ..
- Stages and duration of spermatogenesis in the domestic ferret (Mustela putorius furo)M Nakai
Department of Animal Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 1207 West Gregory Drive, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Tissue Cell 36:439-46. 2004Classification of seminiferous tubules is the basis for understanding normal and abnormal spermatogenesis...
- Misregulation of histone acetylation in Sertoli cell-only syndrome and testicular cancerA K Faure
Unite INSERM U309, Universite Joseph Fourier, Institut Albert Bonniot, Faculte de Medecine de Grenoble, Domaine de la Merci, 38706 La Tronche Cedex, France
Mol Hum Reprod 9:757-63. 2003..A similar observation was made in the peritumoral seminiferous tubules of testicular tumour tissues, whenever they were lacking germinal cells, with carcinoma in situ (CIS) cells ..
- Connexin gene expression in seminiferous tubules of the Sprague-Dawley ratM S Risley
Department of Biological Sciences, Fordham University, Bronx, NY 10458, USA
Biol Reprod 62:748-54. 2000..chain reaction (RT-PCR) analyses showed that 11 Cx mRNAs were present in total RNA from seminiferous tubules and that 10 of the Cx mRNAs were present in polysomes and presumably translated...
- Spermatogenic cycle length and spermatogenic efficiency in the gerbil (Meriones unguiculatus)Tânia M Segatelli
Department of Morphofisiological Science, DCM Bloco H 79, University of State of Paraná UEM, Av Colombo, 5790, Maringa, Parana, Brazil
J Androl 25:872-80. 2004..Based on the volume occupied by seminiferous tubules in the testis and the tubular diameter, about 9 and 18 m of seminiferous tubules were found per testis and ..
- Impaired expression and distribution of adherens and gap junction proteins in the seminiferous tubules of rats undergoing autoimmune orchitisC Perez
Instituto de Investigaciones en Reproducción, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Int J Androl 34:e566-77. 2011..EAO) is characterized by an interstitial lymphomononuclear cell infiltration and a severe lesion of seminiferous tubules (ST) with germ cells that undergo apoptosis and sloughing...
- Excess type I interferon signaling in the mouse seminiferous tubules leads to germ cell loss and sterilityAnne Pascale Satie
INSERM, Unite 625, Institut Federatif de Recherche 140, Universite de Rennes 1, F 35042 Rennes, France
J Biol Chem 286:23280-95. 2011..Type I interferon signaling may lead to idiopathic infertilities by affecting the interplay between germ cells and Sertoli cells...
- Effect of formaldehyde inhalation on Hsp70 in seminiferous tubules of rat testes: an immunohistochemical studyOguz Aslan Ozen
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, Afyon Kocatepe University, Turkey
Toxicol Ind Health 21:249-54. 2005..Diameters of seminiferous tubules and serum testosterone levels in animals inhaling FA were significantly decreased...
- Characterisation of the biological effects of neurohypophysial peptides on seminiferous tubulesG C Harris
Department of Anatomy, School of Medical Sciences, University of Bristol, UK
J Endocrinol 156:35-42. 1998..A small section of tubule was placed in a microslide chamber and perifused with medium. Seminiferous tubules were treated with OT (2 nM), [Arg8]-vasopressin (AVP, 0.2 nM) or [Thr4,Gly7]-OT (TGOT, 2 nM, 8 nM and 0...
- 17β-Estradiol regulates cyclin A1 and cyclin B1 gene expression in adult rat seminiferous tubulesCamille Bois
Universite de Caen Basse Normandie, EA 2608, Laboratoire Estrogènes et Reproduction, Esplanade de la Paix, F 14032 Caen Cedex, France
J Mol Endocrinol 48:89-97. 2012..In order to enlighten the potential role of estrogen in rat spermatogenesis, seminiferous tubules (ST) from two groups of seminiferous epithelium stages (II-VIII and IX-I) were treated with either 17β-..
- Morphogenesis of the bovine rete testis: the intratesticular rete and its connection to the seminiferous tubulesK H Wrobel
Institute of Anatomy, University of Regensburg, Germany
Anat Embryol (Berl) 202:475-90. 2000..Only the thick outer cords transform into the permanent seminiferous tubules, whereas the thinner cords in the central zone are transitory structures that disappear between 45 and 110 ..
- Trypanosoma cruzi and myoid cells from seminiferous tubules: interaction and relation with fibrous components of extracellular matrix in experimental Chagas' diseaseLuiz Otávio Pereira Carvalho
Laboratório de Imunomodulação e Protozoologia, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Int J Exp Pathol 90:52-7. 2009..histopathological examination showed alterations in the extracellular matrix of the lamina propria of the seminiferous tubules. Furthermore, amastigotes were present in seminiferous tubules, within myoid cells, and in the adjacencies ..
- Three-dimensional analysis of connexin 43 gap junction in the ex vivo rat seminiferous tubules: short-term effects of hormonal effectorsJerome Gilleron
INSERM U 895, Team 5 Physiopathologic control of germ cell proliferation genomic and non genomic mechanisms, Paris, France
Microsc Res Tech 72:845-55. 2009..few and indirect observations have been reported on the distribution of Cx43, the predominant Cx within the seminiferous tubules. In the present study, we developed an innovative method that allows visualization of the three- ..
- Histological and ultrastructural analysis of the seminiferous tubule wall in ageing testisO T Pop
Research Center for Microscopic Morphology and Immunology, University of Medicine and Pharmacy of Craiova, Romania
Rom J Morphol Embryol 52:241-8. 2011..Our results showed that BM thickness is apparently decreasing with ageing whereas LP presents extremely variable degenerative changes, with a "mosaic", focal distribution and no tendency to advance with ageing...
- Immunohistochemical expression of cyclin A in testicular biopsies of fertile and infertile men: correlation with the morphometry of seminiferous tubulesA G Abdou
Pathology Department, Menofiya University, Shebein Elkom, Egypt
Andrologia 43:57-64. 2011..on cyclin A expression in various human spermatogenic disorders and its relationship to the morphology of seminiferous tubules are not well clarified...
- The microtubule plus end-binding protein EB1 is involved in Sertoli cell plasticity in testicular seminiferous tubulesFubin Wang
Laboratory of Molecular Cell Biology, Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, People s Republic of China
Exp Cell Res 314:213-26. 2008..Seminiferous tubule circularity and germ cell number were also reduced. These data indicate a requirement of proper microtubule arrays for Sertoli cell plasticity and function in testis...
- Human 'testicular dysgenesis syndrome': a possible model using in-utero exposure of the rat to dibutyl phthalateJane S Fisher
MRC Human Reproductive Sciences Unit, Centre for Reproductive Biology, The Chancellor s Building, University of Edinburgh, 49 Little France Crescent, Edinburgh EH16 4SB, UK
Hum Reprod 18:1383-94. 2003..The disorders comprising human 'testicular dysgenesis syndrome' (TDS) may be increasing in incidence. TDS originates in fetal life but the mechanisms are not known, and discerning them requires an animal model...
- Diethylstilbestrol induces rat spermatogenic cell apoptosis in vivo through increased expression of spermatogenic cell Fas/FasL systemRadhika Nair
National Institute of Immunology, Aruna Asaf Ali Road, New Delhi, India 110067
J Biol Chem 278:6470-81. 2003....
- Dose-dependent effects on cell proliferation, seminiferous tubules, and male germ cells in the fetal rat testis following exposure to di(n-butyl) phthalateKim Boekelheide
Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island 02912, USA
Microsc Res Tech 72:629-38. 2009..Cell proliferation and apoptosis are key processes regulating development of the testis, and alterations in these processes may underlie testicular dysgenesis...
- H3.5 is a novel hominid-specific histone H3 variant that is specifically expressed in the seminiferous tubules of human testesRaphael Schenk
HELIOS Children s Hospital, HELIOS Klinikum Wuppertal, Research Laboratory, Witten Herdecke University, Germany
Chromosoma 120:275-85. 2011..H3.5 mRNA is specifically expressed in seminiferous tubules of human testis. Interestingly, H3...
- Evaluation of candidate markers for the peritubular myoid cell lineage in the developing mouse testisAngela Jeanes
Institute for Molecular Bioscience, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland 4072, Australia
Reproduction 130:509-16. 2005..Although not strictly specific for PM cells, these markers are likely to be useful in studying the biology of early PM cells in the fetal testis...
- Peritubular cell-Sertoli cell interactions: factors involved in PmodS activityG Verhoeven
Laboratory for Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology, Faculty of Medicine, Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium
Andrologia 32:42-5. 2000..It is concluded that, until PModS has been identified unambiguously, the hypothesis that it acts as an essential andromedin in the testis should be regarded with caution...
- Sertoli cells initiate testicular innate immune responses through TLR activationAnna Riccioli
Department of Histology and Medical Embryology, Istituto Pasteur Fondazione Cenci Bolognetti, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Immunol 177:7122-30. 2006..Collectively, this study demonstrates the novel ability of Sertoli cells to potentially respond to a wide variety of bacteria through TLR stimulation...
- Premeiotic germ cell defect in seminiferous tubules of Atm-null testisKeiyo Takubo
Department of Cell Differentiation, The Sakaguchi Laboratory of Developmental Biology, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinano machi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 351:993-8. 2006..It has been shown that ataxia telangiectasia-mutated (ATM) is required for meiotic division of the seminiferous tubules. Here, we show that, in addition to its role in meiosis, ATM has a pivotal role in premeiotic germ cell ..
- Ultrastructural findings in murine seminiferous tubules as a consequence of subchronic vanadium pentoxide inhalationTeresa Imelda Fortoul
Cellular and Tisular Biology Department, School of Medicine, National University of Mexico, CP 04510 Mexico City, Mexico
Reprod Toxicol 23:588-92. 2007..The relevance of this report concerns the impact that metal air pollution could have on male fertility in dense cities with vehicular traffic problems...
- The multi-copy mouse gene Sycp3-like Y-linked (Sly) encodes an abundant spermatid protein that interacts with a histone acetyltransferase and an acrosomal proteinLouise N Reynard
Division of Developmental Genetics and Stem Cell Biology, Medical Research Council National Institute for Medical Research, London, United Kingdom
Biol Reprod 81:250-7. 2009..Together, these data suggest SLY1 may be involved in multiple processes during spermiogenesis, including the control of gene expression and the development or function of the acrosome...
- Regulation of Sertoli-germ cell adhesion and sperm release by FSH and nonclassical testosterone signalingJohn Shupe
Center for Research in Reproductive Physiology, Department of Cell Biology and Molecular Physiology, Magee Women s Research Institute, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Mol Endocrinol 25:238-52. 2011..In contrast, FSH acts to limit testosterone-mediated ERK kinase activity and germ cell attachment...
- Stereological and morphometric analysis of collagen and seminiferous tubules in testes of patients with cryptorchidism submitted or not to treatment with human chorionic gonadotrophinLuciano A Favorito
Urogenital Research Unit, State University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Int Braz J Urol 31:562-6; discussion 567-8. 2005Quantify the distribution of collagen and analyze the seminiferous tubules diameter in the testis of patients with cryptorchidism, to verify if the previous use of human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG) affects these structures.
- Streptozotocin-induced diabetic effects on spermatogenesis with proliferative cell nuclear antigen immunostaining of adult rat testisBaris Altay
Urology Department, Ege University Medical School, Bornova, Izmir, Turkey
Fertil Steril 80:828-31. 2003..To examine the histopathological effects of diabetes on spermatogenesis and to detect the proliferation of germ cells with proliferative cell nuclear antigen (PCNA)...
- Altered expression of connexins 26 and 43 in Sertoli cells in seminiferous tubules infiltrated with carcinoma-in-situ or seminomaRalph Brehm
Institute of Veterinary Anatomy, University of Giessen, Germany
J Pathol 197:647-53. 2002....
- Potency of testicular somatic environment to support spermatogenesis in XX/Sry transgenic male miceMayuko Ishii
Department of Veterinary Anatomy, The University of Tokyo, Yayoi 1 1 1, Tokyo, Japan
Development 134:449-54. 2007..Microarray analysis of seminiferous tubules isolated from XX/Sry testes confirmed the missing expression of several Y-linked genes and the alterations ..
- Estrogenic induction of spermatogenesis in the hypogonadal mouseF J Ebling
School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Nottingham Medical School, Queen s Medical Centre, United Kingdom
Endocrinology 141:2861-9. 2000..The identification of effects of estradiol on testicular function provides a conceptual basis to reexamine the speculative link between increased exposure to environmental estrogens and reduced fertility in man...
- 27 kDa extracellular matrix protein revealed by a monoclonal antibody raised against rat testisF Yazama
Department of Anatomy, Yokohama City University, School of Medicine, Yokohama, Kanagawa 236 0004, Japan
Anat Rec 260:402-9. 2000..From these data, the existence of a testis specific 27 kDa basement membrane protein, which associate with type IV collagen and laminin, was suggested...
- Effects of 2-bromopropane on spermatogenesis in the Sprague-Dawley ratH Y Son
Screening and Toxicology Research Center, Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology, Taejon, Republic of Korea
Reprod Toxicol 13:179-87. 1999..Degeneration of spermatogonia was observed during Stages I-IV in seminiferous tubules on Day 1 after treatment...
- Transplantation of male germ line stem cells restores fertility in infertile miceT Ogawa
Department of Animal Biology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, 3850 Baltimore Ave, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Nat Med 6:29-34. 2000..Thus, transplantation of spermatogonial stem cells from an infertile donor to a permissive testicular environment can restore fertility and result in progeny with the genetic makeup of the infertile donor male...
- The contractile phenotype of peritubular smooth muscle cells is locally controlled: possible implications in male fertilityFrancesca Romano
Department of Histology and Medical Embryology, University of Rome La Sapienza, 00161 Rome, Italy
Contraception 72:294-7. 2005..activity of peritubular tissue is responsible for the propulsion of spermatozoa along the lumen of seminiferous tubules toward the hilum of the testis...
- Qualitative and quantitative decline in spermatogenesis of the follicle-stimulating hormone receptor knockout (FORKO) mouseH Krishnamurthy
The Molecular Reproduction Research Laboratory, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H2W 1R7
Biol Reprod 62:1146-59. 2000..These data allow us to conclude that genetic disruption of FSH receptor signaling in the rodent induces major changes that might contribute to reduced fertility...
- Apoptosis and testicular alterations in albino rats treated with etoposide during the prepubertal phaseTaiza Stumpp
Laboratory of Embryology, Department of Morphology, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 279:611-22. 2004..Etoposide treatment during the prepubertal phase increases the frequency of apoptosis in the seminiferous epithelium, and causes serious harm to male fertility. 2004...
- Histochemical analysis of rat testicular glycoconjugates. 1. Subsets of N-linked saccharides in seminiferous tubulesC J Jones
Department of Pathological Sciences, University of Manchester, UK
Histochem J 24:319-26. 1992..Sertoli cell surfaces and cytoplasmic granules showed a high level of N-glycan expression...
- Pituitary adenylate cyclase-activating polypeptide gene expression regulated by a testis-specific promoter in germ cells during spermatogenesisP B Daniel
Laboratory of Molecular Endocrinology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, and Harvard Medical School, Boston 02114, USA
Endocrinology 141:1218-27. 2000..of PACAP gene expression during the spermatogenic cycle, accomplished by RT-PCR of segments of isolated seminiferous tubules, identified intense expression in the postmeiotic round spermatids during developmental stages I-VIII...
- Murine germ cells do not require functional androgen receptors to complete spermatogenesis following spermatogonial stem cell transplantationD S Johnston
School of Molecular Biosciences and Center for Reproductive Biology, Washington State University, Pullman 99164, USA
Endocrinology 142:2405-8. 2001..Testicular cells from testicular feminized mice were injected into the seminiferous tubules of azoospermic mice expressing functional androgen receptors...
- Cellular and regional distributions of ubiquitin-proteasome and endocytotic pathway components in the epithelium of rat efferent ductules and initial segment of the epididymisCleida A Oliveira
Department of Morphology, Federal University of Minas Gerais, MG, Brazil
J Androl 30:590-601. 2009..Localization of ubiquitin-proteasome and endocytotic pathway components suggests that differential regulation is required for protein degradation and turnover in efferent ductules and head of the epididymis...
- Do seminiferous tubules secrete a fluid rich in KHCO3?P Y D Wong
Department of Physiology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong
J Physiol 542:335. 2002
- Inhibition of sperm production in mice by annexin V microinjected into seminiferous tubules: possible etiology of phagocytic clearance of apoptotic spermatogenic cells and male infertilityY Maeda
Department of Urology, School of Medicine, Kanazawa University, Takara machi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa 920 0934, Japan
Cell Death Differ 9:742-9. 2002..For this purpose, the PS-binding protein annexin V was microinjected into the seminiferous tubules of normal live mice, and their testes were examined...
- Immunolocalization of aromatase in stallion Leydig cells and seminiferous tubulesHerbert Sipahutar
EA2608, Laboratoire de Biochimie et de Biologie Moléculaire Université de Caen, Caen, France
J Histochem Cytochem 51:311-8. 2003..The present study in stallions indicates that in addition to Leydig cells, Sertoli cells also appear to participate in estrogen synthesis, and this could play a paracrine role in the regulation of spermatogenesis...
- Cell death induced by zinc and cadmium is mediated by clusterin in cultured mouse seminiferous tubulesTehila Kaisman-Elbaz
Department of Morphology, Zlotowski Center for Neuroscience, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
J Cell Physiol 220:222-9. 2009Sertoli cells, lining the walls of the seminiferous tubules, are in close contact with and regulate all aspects of the development of the germ cells...
- Two distinct localization patterns of testis-specific serine protease 1 (TESSP1) in the seminiferous tubules of the mouse testisNaoharu Takano
Faculty of Advanced Life Science, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan
Zoolog Sci 26:294-300. 2009..the wild-type mouse testis, dot-like signals for TESSP1 were observed in the adluminal compartment of the seminiferous tubules, while diffused signals were found in the basal compartment...
- Impaired male fertility and atrophy of seminiferous tubules caused by haploinsufficiency for Foxa3Rüdiger Behr
Department of Genetics, University of Pennsylvania Medical School, 415 Curie Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6145, USA
Dev Biol 306:636-45. 2007..In summary, we have identified Foxa3 as a transcriptional regulator with a dominant phenotype in germ cell maintenance and suggest FOXA3 as a potential candidate gene for subfertility in man...
- Involution of seminiferous tubules in aged hamsters: an ultrastructural, immunohistochemical and quantitative morphological studyE Morales
Department of Cellular Biology, Medical School, University of Murcia, Spain
Histol Histopathol 19:445-55. 2004In this study, we examined the age-related changes on morphometric parameters and ultrastructure of seminiferous tubules, and on the expression of extracellular matrix proteins in lamina propria of Syrian hamsters...
- Morphological evidences indicate that the interference of cimetidine on the peritubular components is responsible for detachment and apoptosis of Sertoli cellsEstela Sasso-Cerri
Laboratory of Histology and Embryology Department of Morphology, Dental School of São Paulo State University UNESP, Araraquara, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 6:18. 2008Cimetidine, referred as antiandrogenic agent, has caused alterations in the seminiferous tubules, including alterations in the peritubular tissue and death of myoid cells by apoptosis...
- Impairment of spermatogenesis in mice lacking a functional aromatase (cyp 19) geneK M Robertson
Prince Henry s Institute of Medical Research, Monash Medical Centre, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:7986-91. 1999..Our findings indicate that local expression of aromatase is essential for spermatogenesis and provide evidence for a direct action of estrogen on male germ cell development and thus fertility...
- Delay in sexual maturity of the follicle-stimulating hormone receptor knockout male mouseH Krishnamurthy
The Molecular Reproduction Research Laboratory, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H2W 1R7
Biol Reprod 65:522-31. 2001..The drastic reduction in testicular weight and shrinkage of seminiferous tubules that occurred at this early age persisted into the adult stage in the FORKOs, suggesting inhibition of the ..
- Detection of germ cell-derived proteins in testicular interstitial fluid: potential for monitoring spermatogenesis in vivoK J Turner
MRC Reproductive Biology Unit, Edinburgh, Scotland
J Androl 17:127-36. 1996The aim of the present study was to assess whether proteins secreted by the seminiferous tubules (ST) can be detected in testicular interstitial fluid (IF) and testicular (TV), spermatic (SV), and peripheral venous (PV) plasma from adult ..
- Apoptosis during the seasonal spermatogenic cycle of Rana catesbeianaEstela Sasso-Cerri
Department of Morphology, Dental School, Sao Paulo State University UNESP, Araraquara, Brazil
J Anat 209:21-9. 2006..Thus, apoptosis may participate not only in the maintenance of spermatogenic homeostasis, but also in the cyclical control of the different spermatogenic processes according to seasonal changes of the testicular compartments as a whole...
- Morphological alterations and intratubular lipid inclusions as indicative of spermatogenic damage in cimetidine-treated ratsE Sasso-Cerri
Department of Morphology, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Arch Androl 46:5-13. 2001..Besides plasma testosterone levels, morphological and morphometric aspects of the seminiferous tubules as well as histochemical analysis of the lipid content by oil red O were emphasized...
- The effects of subacute inhalation of di (2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP) on the testes of prepubertal Wistar ratsNorie Kurahashi
Department of Public Health, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
J Occup Health 47:437-44. 2005..Our study showed that inhaled DEHP increased plasma testosterone concentrations in prepubertal rats and suggested that their effects were more sensitive to inhalation of DEHP than oral dosing...
- Localization of dynamin 2 in rat seminiferous tubules during the spermatogenic cycleHiroki Iguchi
Department of Urology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, Japan
Acta Med Okayama 56:205-9. 2002..Dynamin 2 expression was observed using immunohistochemical method in the seminiferous tubules of all rats...
- Study of spermatogenesis and thickening of lamina propria in the human seminiferous tubulesYoko Sato
Department of Urology, St Marianna University School of Medicine, Core Research for Evolutional Science and Technology, Japan Science and Technology Corporation, Sugao Miyamae, Kawasaki, Japan
Fertil Steril 90:1310-2. 2008The negative correlation between the thickness of the lamina propria and Johnsen's score count in individual seminiferous tubules was observed and the tubules with thin lamina propria indicated almost complete spermatogenesis...
- GC-1 mRHBDD1 knockdown spermatogonia cells lose their spermatogenic capacity in mouse seminiferous tubulesYong Wang
State Key Laboratory of Medical Molecular Biology, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Peking Union Medical College, Tsinghua University 5 Dong Dan San Tiao, Beijing 100005, PR China
BMC Cell Biol 10:25. 2009..GC-1, a spermatogonia cell line, has the capacity to differentiate into spermatids within the seminiferous tubules. We constructed mRHBDD1 knockdown GC-1 cells and evaluated their capacity to differentiate into spermatids ..
- In situ demonstration of both TUNEL-labeled germ cell and Sertoli cell in the cimetidine-treated ratsE Sasso-Cerri
Department of Morphology, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Histol Histopathol 17:411-7. 2002..Besides germ cells, TUNEL-positive Sertoli cells were also found in the injured seminiferous tubules. Thus, a relationship between dying germ cells and Sertoli cell damage and/or death must be considered in ..
- Long-term proliferation in culture and germline transmission of mouse male germline stem cellsMito Kanatsu-Shinohara
Horizontal Medical Research Organization, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Japan
Biol Reprod 69:612-6. 2003..and restored fertility to congenitally infertile recipient mice following transplantation into seminiferous tubules. Long-term spermatogonial stem cell culture will be useful for studying spermatogenesis mechanism and has ..
- Somatostatin inhibits stem cell factor messenger RNA expression by Sertoli cells and stem cell factor-induced DNA synthesis in isolated seminiferous tubulesI Goddard
, , F-69921 Oullins, France
Biol Reprod 65:1732-42. 2001..data is supported by an SRIF-mediated decrease in SCF-induced incorporation of [(3)H]thymidine in isolated seminiferous tubules. In situ hybridization and confocal microscopy show that, in seminiferous tubules only, spermatogonia ..
- Cell-cycle inhibitors p27Kip1 and p21Cip1 regulate murine Sertoli cell proliferationDenise R Holsberger
Department of Veterinary Biosciences, University of Illinois, Urbana 61802, USA
Biol Reprod 72:1429-36. 2005..Furthermore, loss of both CDKIs causes additive effects on DSP and testis weight, suggesting a central role for these CDKIs in testis development...
- Spermiogenesis and chromatin condensation in the common tree shrew, Tupaia glisWorawit Suphamungmee
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Cell Tissue Res 331:687-99. 2008..Cross-immunoreactivity of T. glis H3 and protamine to those of primates suggests the evolutionary resemblance of these nuclear basic proteins in primate germ cells...
- Immunohistochemical study of flotillin-1 in the rat testis during postnatal developmentHeechul Kim
Department of Veterinary Medicine and Applied Radiological Science Research Institute, Cheju National University, Jeju 690 756, South Korea
Acta Histochem 110:224-31. 2008..These results suggest that flotillin-1 participates in the developmental process of Sertoli cells and is involved in the regulation of spermatogenesis...
- Abnormal sperm morphology caused by defects in Sertoli cells of Cnot7 knockout miceTakehiko Ogawa
Department of Urology, Yokohama City University Graduate School of Medicine, Yokohama, Japan
Arch Histol Cytol 67:307-14. 2004..These results support our previous report that Sertoli cell defects in the Cnot7-/- testes could induce oligo-astheno-teratozoospermia...
- Hepatocyte growth factor modulates Sertoli-Sertoli tight junction dynamicsA Catizone
Department of Histology and Medical Embryology, School of Medicine, University of Rome Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Cell Physiol 216:253-60. 2008..In conclusion we report that in the testis HGF regulates Sertoli-Sertoli tight junctions inducing a reduction and redistribution of occludin possibly modulating the levels of uPA and active TGFbeta...
- Testis-specific sulfoglycolipid, seminolipid, is essential for germ cell function in spermatogenesisYanlong Zhang
Department of Molecular Genetics, Kochi University Medical School, Kochi 783 8505, Japan
Glycobiology 15:649-54. 2005..analysis, in which wild-type spermatogonia expressing the green fluorescent protein were injected into the seminiferous tubules of CST-null testis...
- Spermatogenesis from epiblast and primordial germ cells following transplantation into postnatal mouse testisShinichiro Chuma
Department of Development and Differentiation, Institute for Frontier Medical Sciences, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Development 132:117-22. 2005..show that epiblast cells and PGCs can establish colonies of spermatogenesis after transfer into postnatal seminiferous tubules of surrogate infertile mice...
- Lonidamine affects testicular steroid hormones in immature miceMaria Elsa Traina
Department of Drug Research and Evaluation, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena, 299 00161 Rome, Italy
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 221:95-101. 2007....
- Effect of divergent selection for testosterone production on testicular morphology and daily sperm production in boarsS Walker
Department of Animal Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh 27695 7621, USA
J Anim Sci 82:2259-63. 2004..Volume densities for Leydig cells, seminiferous tubules, and Sertoli cells were estimated along with sperm production...
- Effect of methotrexate (MTX) administration on spermatogenesis: an experimental on animal modelS Shrestha
Department of Anatomy, B P Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Dharan, Nepal
Nepal Med Coll J 9:230-3. 2007..Further microscopic study of seminiferous tubules, interstitial spaces, primary spermatocytes and spermatids were carriedout...
- 2,5-hexanedione and carbendazim coexposure synergistically disrupts rat spermatogenesis despite opposing molecular effects on microtubulesRobert J Markelewicz
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Brown University, 175 Meeting Street, Providence, Rhode Island 02912, USA
Toxicol Sci 80:92-100. 2004....
- Impaired reproduction in transgenic mice overexpressing Gamma-aminobutyric acid transporter I (GAT1)Jia Hua Hu
Laboratory of Molecular Cell Biology, Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China
Cell Res 14:54-9. 2004..Our findings provided the first evidence that abnormal expression of GAT1 could result in dysgenesis, and indicated that GAT1 might be therapeutically targeted for contraception or dysgenesis treatment...
- Sperm ultrastructure and spermatogenesis in the lizard, Tropidurus itambereAdelina Ferreira
Departamento de Biologia Celular, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, SP, Brazil
Biocell 27:353-62. 2003..Comparisons between Tropiduridae and other lizard families are made...
- Morphological study of the spermatogenesis in the teleost Piaractus mesopotamicusCarminda da Cruz-Landim
Departamento de Biologia, Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade Estadual Paulista, Rio Claro, SP, Brazil
Biocell 27:319-28. 2003..The spermatozoon was classified as type I, which has a globular head without acrosome, a short middle piece and a long tail constituted only by the flagellum. This type of spermatozoon is considered the basic type in fishes...
- Spermatogenesis and plasma testosterone levels in Western Australian burrowing desert frogs, Cyclorana platycephala, Cyclorana maini, and Neobatrachus sutor, during aestivationA G Shalan
School of Animal Biology and Centre for Native Animal Research, The University of Western Australia, Perth, WA 6009, Australia
Gen Comp Endocrinol 136:90-100. 2004..Changes in plasma testosterone levels correlated significantly with variations in the diameter of the seminiferous tubules and the GSI, suggesting that this hormone plays a major role in controlling testicular recrudescence in ..
- Effects of vasectomy on spermatogenesis and fertility outcome after testicular sperm extraction combined with ICSIC M McVicar
Obstetrics and Gynaecology, School of Medicine, Queen s University Belfast, Institute of Clinical Science, UK
Hum Reprod 20:2795-800. 2005..The study aims were to compare sperm yields of men post-vasectomy or with obstructive azoospermia (OA) of unknown aetiology with yields of fertile men and to assess any alteration in the clinical pregnancy rates after ICSI...
- Morphological and morphometric study on the effect of simulated microgravity on rat testisM A H Motabagani
Department of Anatomy, College of Medicine, King Faisal University, Dammam, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Chin J Physiol 50:199-209. 2007..Histologically, few abnormalities were observed in some seminiferous tubules in one-week hindlimb-suspended group...
- Maternal vitamin B12 deficiency affects spermatogenesis at the embryonic and immature stages in ratsToshiaki Watanabe
Department of Environment for Life and Living, School of Human Science and Environment, Himeji Institute of Technology, University of Hyogo, Shinzaike Honcho 1 1 12, Himeji, Japan
Congenit Anom (Kyoto) 47:9-15. 2007..The incidence of seminiferous tubules having apoptotic cells was 51.5% in the VB12-D group...
- Expression of the adaptor protein m-Numb in mouse male germ cellsSerena Corallini
Dipartimento di Istologia ed Embriologia Medica, , Via Antonio Scarpa 14, 00161 Rome, Italy
Reproduction 132:887-97. 2006..Finally, we employed confocal immunofluorescence microscopy of whole mount seminiferous tubules and isolated germ cells to gain more insight into the subcellular localization of m-Numb...
- Male germline stem cell culture and genetic modificationRALPH BRINSTER; Fiscal Year: 2007..The ability of these cells to colonize the seminiferous tubules of recipient animals and generate spermatogenesis as well as their ability to differentiate in vitro will ..
- Drug Transport at the Blood-Testis BarrierNathan J Cherrington; Fiscal Year: 2013..As the major component of the blood-testis barrier, Sertoli cells separate the adluminal compartment of the seminiferous tubules (STs) from the rest of the body by the formation of tight junctions below developing germ cells...
- BDADs for Male ContraceptionJohn K Amory; Fiscal Year: 2013..Within the seminiferous tubules of the testes, a testes-specific aldehyde dehydrogenase called ALDH1a2 biosynthesizes retinoic acid, a ..
- Characterization of male germline stem cells in a rhesus model of infertilityKyle E Orwig; Fiscal Year: 2012..Because of evolutionary distance between rhesus and mouse, rhesus SSCs will engraft and persist in mouse seminiferous tubules, but will not produce complete spermatogenesis...
- Epigenetic Reprogramming in Germline by PhthalatesKwan Hee Kim; Fiscal Year: 2013..di(2- ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP), the most abundant phthalate, caused disorganization of germ cells in seminiferous tubules, changes in the distribution of spermatogenic stages, increased apoptosis, increased number of ..
- Nongenomic Androgen Signaling in Sertolli CellsWilliam H Walker; Fiscal Year: 2010..is to determine whether non-classical testosterone actions are required to release mature spermatozoa from seminiferous tubules. We will determine whether testosterone activates Src and ERK kinases in cultured seminiferous tubules...
- Genetic analysis of male gonadal developmentMary C Mullins; Fiscal Year: 2013..acting in the morphogenesis of the somatic and germ cell tissue into testis cords and differentiated seminiferous tubules, or the mechanisms regulating the distinctive spermatogonial cell division program and early ..
- SERTOLI CELL-GERM CELL SURFACE MEMBRANE INTERACTIONSROBERT DEPHILIP; Fiscal Year: 1991..the temporal and spatial expression of Sertoli cell surface antigens in developing and in mature, cycling seminiferous tubules; and (4) the identification of Sertoli cell surface antigens that are involved in either the binding of ..
- MECHANISMS OF TOXICITY IN TESTESMichael Welsh; Fiscal Year: 1999..each phosphorylated isoform of hsp27 and localize each isoform in frozen sections of testis and in seminiferous tubules, using confocal microscopy...
- Regulation of Gene Expression During SpermatogenesisPeter Petrusz; Fiscal Year: 2004..is the reduction in the concentration of bioavailable androgens in the peritubular compartment and the seminiferous tubules. DNA microarray technology offers a novel and powerful means to analyze gene expression in a comprehensive, ..
- A New Approach to Generate Transgenic AnimalsMartin Dym; Fiscal Year: 2004..it has very high potential to produce mature functional sperm after transplantation into recipient sterile seminiferous tubules and then the transfer of a modified genome to offspring...
- REGULATION OF SPERMATOGENESIS IN MAMMALSBarry Zirkin; Fiscal Year: 1991..response of specific spermatogenic cells to defined changes in testosterone concentration within the seminiferous tubules of the adult rat. Two specific aims are proposed...
- ROLE OF PROTEIN-TYROSINE KINASES IN SPERMATOGENESISSteven Hanks; Fiscal Year: 1993..Interactions between germ cells and Sertoli cells in the seminiferous tubules are crucial for sperm development, but little has been learned to date about how these interactions are ..
- CHARACTERIZATION OF A GHRH-LIKE SUBSTANCE IN RAT TESTISORA PESCOVITZ; Fiscal Year: 1992..a blood-testis barrier that restricts the movement of many dyes, steroids and peptides into and out of the seminiferous tubules. Several neuropeptides that were originally considered to be restricted to the hypothalamus or the ..
- ABP AND THE REGULATION OF GERM CELL APOPTOSIS IN TESTISPeter Petrusz; Fiscal Year: 2000..proliferation and degeneration (apoptosis) of germ cells by changing the steroid hormone milieu within the seminiferous tubules. This may involve not only testosterone, but also is biologically active intratesticular metabolites ..
- Constitutively active LH receptors in transgenic micePrema Narayan; Fiscal Year: 2007..increased prepubertal levels of testosterone, accompanied by decreased testicular size and diameter of the seminiferous tubules. Female transgenic mice exhibit increased folliculogenesis at early ages, and at three months there is ..
- REGULATION OF TESTICULAR BLOOD FLOWClaude Desjardins; Fiscal Year: 1993..demand coincide with mitotic and/or meiotic events that occur within well-defined segments (2-6 mm) of seminiferous tubules. We will test the proposition that vascular regulatory processes intrinsic to the testis directly control ..
- RETINOL-MEDICATED REGULATION OF SPERMATOGENESISKwan Kim; Fiscal Year: 1993..The retinol-induced testes reinitiate the spermatogenic process in a synchronized manner all along the seminiferous tubules. It is Presumed that sPecific gene Products and mRNAs are synthesized in direct response to retinol in ..
- SPERMATOGONIAL STEM CELL CULTURE AND TRANSPLANTATIONRALPH BRINSTER; Fiscal Year: 2002We have developed a method that allows transfer of testicular cells from a fertile male to the seminiferous tubules of an infertile male...
- Optimizing Testis Transplantation to Study RET SignalingCathy Naughton; Fiscal Year: 2005..However, transplant efficiency of the donor testicle is not perfect as not all immature germ cells in the seminiferous tubules display complete maturation to spermatozoa...
- Role of VEGF in Testis Development and FunctionANDREA CUPP; Fiscal Year: 2004Formation of the seminiferous cords, the precursor seminiferous tubules, is the first morphological event that distinguishes the testis from the ovary. The cords contain Sertoli and germ cells surrounded by peritubular cells...
- PRIMORDIAL GERM CELL MIGRATION IN THE EMBRYOChristopher Wylie; Fiscal Year: 2003..These are the forerunners of the seminiferous tubules in males, and the ovarian follicles in females...
- FATE OF SPERMATOGONIAL STEM CELLSMartin Dym; Fiscal Year: 2007..In the third aim, we will examine gene expression in isolated type A spermatogonia and in seminiferous tubules in culture using serial analysis of gene expression (SAGE) and DNA array procedures in response to ligands...
- REGULATION OF TESTIS GENE EXPRESSION BY CAMP AND CREBWilliam Walker; Fiscal Year: 2002..tested is that alterations in the relative concentrations of activator and repressor CREB isoforms in the seminiferous tubules regulate the expression of cAMP-inducible genes required for the expansion and differentiation of male germ ..
- Stem Cell Function in the Aging TestisStefan Schlatt; Fiscal Year: 2006..current project is to determine an age-dependent (in) ability of testicular stem cells to recolonize the seminiferous tubules and to restore spermatogenesis after germ cell depletion in mice and monkeys...
- BASEMENT MEMBRANE REGULATION OF SERTOLI CELLSMartin Dym; Fiscal Year: 2000..from the Investigator's Abstract): This application proposes that basement membrane components of the seminiferous tubules play a determining role in Sertoli cell function and in the formation of a tubular lumen by a selective ..
- REGULATION OF TESTIS GENE EXPRESSION BY CAMP AND CREBWilliam Walker; Fiscal Year: 2001..tested is that alterations in the relative concentrations of activator and repressor CREB isoforms in the seminiferous tubules regulate the expression of cAMP-inducible genes required for the expansion and differentiation of male germ ..
- NOVEL CONTRACEPTIVES WITH ANTI-HIV ACTIVITYOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2001..The preclinical data on in vivo efficacies of WHI-05 and WHI-07 will be essential to further explore the utility of these novel drugs for clinical studies in human patients. ..
- Vanadocenes as a New Class of Spermicidal DrugsOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- NUCLEOPROTEINS IN MAMMALIAN SPERMATOGENESISMarvin Meistrich; Fiscal Year: 2006..Thus they provide a well-defined model system for study of human infertility. ..
- Stampidine: A Novel Broad-Spectrum Anti-HIV MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2005..Specific Aims 1 and 2 may provide the foundation for the clinical development of STAMP in Phase II studies as a safe, effective broad-spectrum anti-HIV microbicide without conception-inhibiting functions. ..
- Multidisciplinary Program in Female and Male ReproductionEUGENE ALBRECHT; Fiscal Year: 2008..The discoveries obtained in the baboon primate model are expected to translate to the human to advance knowledge of human reproductive biology. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Phase II SBIR: WHI-07: A Novel Dual-Function MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- PHI-443: Novel Non-Spermicidal Anti-HIV MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..Specific Aims 1 and 2 may provide the foundation for the clinical development of PHI-443 in Phase II studies as a safe, effective broad-spectrum anti-HIV microbicide without conception-inhibiting functions. ..
- PHI 346: A Novel Dual-Function MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..Following successful completion of the Phase I in vivo efficacy studies, gel formulation of PHI-346 will be further explored as a vaginal dual-function microbicide in Phase II. ..
- FLP-102: Rationally Engineered Antiviral ProteinOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..The preclinical data on FLP-102 will be essential to further explore the utility of this novel recombinant PAP mutant for Phase II. ..
- METVAN: A Novel Anticancer AgentOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..The knowledge gained from these studies described under Specific Aims 1-2 is expected to facilitate the design of innovative treatment regimens employing METVAN for metastatic breast cancer and brain tumor patients. ..
- TOXICOLOGY FOR TEACHERSAnn de Peyster; Fiscal Year: 2003..These workshops are an innovative way for scientists and teachers to work together to improve science education. ..
- ENVIRONMENTAL/INDUSTRIAL TOXICANTS AND TESTICULAR INJURYKim Boekelheide; Fiscal Year: 2003..Together, these complimentary approaches will elucidate the key molecular mechanisms responsible for irreversible testicular injury. ..
- NEURAL REGULATION OF CIRCADIAN RHYTHMS AND PHOTOPERIODISERIC BITTMAN; Fiscal Year: 2003..Our results will have applications to human pathologies including jet lag, sleep disorders, seasonal depression, and infertility. ..
- Sertoli Cell-Treated Umbilical Cord Blood for StrokeDon Cameron; Fiscal Year: 2003..The success of directing and protecting stem cells obtained from umbilical cord blood into a neural phenotype (i.e. SCT-441) has important implications for the treatment of stroke in humans. ..
- An in vivo model to study blood-testis barrier dynamicsC Yan Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Germ Cell AgingCHRISTI WALTER; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study will advance our understanding of the fundamental mechanisms involved in male germline integrity. ..
- Calorie Restriction Effects on Chromosomal AberrationsCHARLEEN MOORE; Fiscal Year: 2003..The results will be essential in identifying potential mechanisms by which CR acts in cancer prevention and delay of the aging process in long-lived species such as the rhesus monkey and humans. ..
- Sertoli Cell Mediated Engulfment of Apoptotic Germ CellsKodi S Ravichandran; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Base Excision Repair, Genetic Integrity & Health SpanCHRISTI WALTER; Fiscal Year: 2008..Genetic integrity, apoptosis, and pathology will be examined using a variety of molecular, biochemical and cell biological approaches. ..
- GERM CELLS--DNA REPAIR, MUTATION, & ENVIRONMENTAL AGENTSCHRISTI WALTER; Fiscal Year: 2001..This study will advance an understanding of the fundamental mechanisms involved in mutagenesis in germ cells. ..
- Junction Dynamics and Male Fertility RegulationC Yan Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2008..In summary, these studies not only will define the regulation of AJ dynamics, they will identify new leads and innovative approaches for male contraceptive development. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Metal Toxicant Effects-Small Heat-Shock Protein FunctionMichael Welsh; Fiscal Year: 2005..It is expected that these studies will contribute significantly to our understanding of sublethal effects of toxic metals (either singly or in combinations) and the function of sHSPs in muscle and kidney. ..
- Annual SMRU Traveling Scholar ConferenceSusan Benoff; Fiscal Year: 2005..Without this exposure, many of them would have likely pursued different career paths. ..
- Autoimmune Oophoritis: Consequences of Gamete VaccinesKenneth Tung; Fiscal Year: 2006..Specifically, we will determine the immunogenetic regulation of the immune response to CP2, and the influence of the B cell epitope specificity of the ZP Ab on the induction of progenic AOD. ..
- INTEGRATING ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SCIENCE IN RURAL SCHOOLLarry Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Testicular Torsion: Mechanisms and TreatmentTerry Turner; Fiscal Year: 2005..It is likely that these investigations will be relevant to other forms of oxidative stress inducing testicular dysfunction. ..
- SERTOLI CELL TOXICITY IN VIVO--MICROTUBULE DISRUPTIONKim Boekelheide; Fiscal Year: 2001..Together, these complimentary approaches will critically examine key steps in the pathogenetic sequence by which microtubule disrupters alter the supportive capacity of Sertoli cells resulting in loss of germ cells and infertility. ..
- PHTHALATE-INDUCED MURINE TESTICULAR DYSGENESIS AND P53Kim Boekelheide; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Regulation of spermatogonial stem cells by vitamin ADerek McLean; Fiscal Year: 2007..The current proposal is novel because this is the first time that the effect of a factor, such as vitamin A, on SSC differentiation has been evaluated. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- NUTRITIONAL AND METABOLIC SIGNIFICANCE OF SELENIUMRaymond Burk; Fiscal Year: 2003..These and other studies are proposed to evaluate the role of Se-P in protecting endothelial cells (and other cells) against oxidant substances in the extracellular space. ..
- Annual SMRU Traveling Scholars ConferenceSusan Benoff; Fiscal Year: 2006..Without this exposure, many of them would have likely pursued different career paths. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Insulin and Oocyte Chromatin SegregationGary Smith; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..