- Extensive balanitis xerotica obliterans (BXO) involving the anterior urethra and scrotum
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, University College of Medical Sciences University of Delhi and G T B Hospital, F 14 South Extension Part 2, New Delhi, 110049, India
Int Urol Nephrol 38:505-6. 2006
We describe an unusual case of balanitis xerotica obliterans (BXO) involving the entire anterior urethra and the scrotum that had presented as a palpable nodular scrotal mass with obstructive voiding symptoms in middle aged man...
- Case report--ancient schwannoma of the scrotum
Peter T Chan
Surgical Directorate, Warrington Hospital, Lovely Lane, Warrington, UK
BMC Urol 7:1. 2007
..Scrotal schwannoma is a rare neoplasm and poses a diagnostic challenge to urologists. This article describes a rare case of ancient scrotal schwannoma and reviews the current modality of investigation and treatment of this tumour...
- Duration of preoperative scrotal pain may predict the success of microsurgical varicocelectomy
Department of Urology, Faculty of Medicine, Sutcu Imam University, Kahramanmaras, Turkey
Int Braz J Urol 36:55-9. 2010
..Varicocelectomy is used in the treatment of scrotal pain. We report our results with microsurgical subinguinal varicocele ligation to treat pain...
- Scrotal heat stress effects on sperm viability, sperm DNA integrity, and the offspring sex ratio in mice
Dpto de Reproducción Animal y Conservación de Recursos Zoogenéticos, INIA, Madrid, Spain
Mol Reprod Dev 75:40-7. 2008
..These findings point to a higher sensitivity of spermatocytes to heat exposure and also suggest a different response of X and Y chromosome-bearing spermatozoa to heat stress that warrants further investigation...
- Preperitoneal mesh hernioplasty in giant inguinoscrotal hernias: a new technique with dual benefit in repair and abdominal rooming
N I el-Dessouki
Surgery Department, Tanta University Hospital, Egypt
Hernia 5:177-81. 2001
..Moreover, in covering the abdominal defect which has been created by the hernial sac, direct contact between the intestine and the mesh is prevented, thus minimizing the risk of adhesions and fistulas...
- Granular cell tumor of the scrotum in a child with Noonan syndrome
Rachel U Sidwell
Department of Dermatology, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London, UK
Pediatr Dermatol 25:341-3. 2008
..We report a granular cell tumor of the scrotum in a child with Noonan syndrome, known to have a mutation in the PTPN11 gene...
- A single, mild, transient scrotal heat stress causes hypoxia and oxidative stress in mouse testes, which induces germ cell death
Queen s Medical Research Institute, Edinburgh, Scotland
Biol Reprod 80:913-9. 2009
- [Genital porokeratosis]
Servicio Dermatología Hospital Virgen de la Torre Madrid España
Actas Dermosifiliogr 99:217-20. 2008
..Although porokeratotic lesions may appear anywhere on the skin, genital lesions are uncommon and may occur in cases of generalized porokeratosis with genital involvement or be localized to the genital area...
- Crossbred bull selection for bigger scrotum and shorter age at puberty with potentials for better quality semen
M A R Siddiqui
Department of Surgery and Obstetrics, Faculty of Veterinary Science, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh, Bangladesh
Reprod Domest Anim 43:74-9. 2008
..This study aimed at selecting crossbred bulls at earliest possible age with bigger scrotum and potential for donating quality semen...
- Imaging of the scrotum
Department of Radiology, VA Hospital, University of California San Diego, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Radiol Clin North Am 50:1145-65. 2012
..features of various intratesticular and extratesticular lesions including acute and nonacute conditions of the scrotum. Nonneoplastic lesions that can mimic scrotal malignancy are discussed...
- Peritoneal computed tomography: a diagnostic tool for genital oedema in patients on peritoneal dialysis
S H Wan
Department of Medicine, Queen Mary Hospital and Tung Wah Hospital, University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
Hong Kong Med J 13:82-3. 2007
- Role of Doppler sonography in the diagnosis of cystic lymphangioma of the scrotum
Department of Radiology, Western Galilee Hospital, Nahariya, Israel
J Clin Ultrasound 30:384-7. 2002
..We report a case of cystic lymphangioma of the scrotum in a 3-year-old boy, which had been previously diagnosed as a hydrocele...
- Clinical predictors for differential diagnosis of acute scrotum
A O Ciftci
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Hacettepe University Medical Faculty, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Pediatr Surg 14:333-8. 2004
Accurate and early diagnosis of acute scrotum is of the utmost importance to avoid testicular loss and/or needless surgery...
- Female long-tailed macaques with scrotum-like structure
Primate Research Unit, Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Am J Primatol 69:721-35. 2007
..These swellings develop bilaterally into a globular structure, which so strongly resembles the male scrotum that it is difficult to reliably identify an individual's sex at a distance using only the standard phenotypic ..
- Fournier's gangrene associated with sparganosis in the scrotum
Hee Jong Jeong
Department of Urology, Wonkwang University School of Medicine and Hospital, Iksan, Jeonbuk, South Korea
Urology 63:176-7. 2004
Fournier's gangrene is a necrotizing fasciitis of the scrotum or perineum that may extend by way of the fascial planes to the penis and the anterior abdominal wall up to the clavicles, buttocks, or lower extremities...
- Critical validation of colour Doppler ultrasound in diagnostics of acute scrotum in children
Kinderchirurgische Klinik im Dr v Haunerschen Kinderspital, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Munchen, Germany
Eur J Pediatr Surg 13:386-92. 2003
Acute scrotum in children is generally a symptom. Several pathologies of the testis, scrotum or groin may cause it, including inflammatory as well as ischaemic processes...
- Sparganosis in the scrotum: sonographic findings
Young Jun Kim
Department of Radiology, Konkuk University School of Medicine, 4 12 Hwayang dong, Gwangjin gu, Seoul 143 729, Korea
J Ultrasound Med 26:129-31. 2007
- How do you get six meters of epididymis inside a human scrotum?
Barry T Hinton
Department of Cell Biology, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
J Androl 32:558-64. 2011
..Cell proliferation in the Wolffian duct appears to be dependent on the presence of androgens and mesenchymal factors during embryonic development, but lumicrine factors play an additional role during postnatal development...
- Challenging surgical management of a giant inguinoscrotal hernia: report of a case
Department of Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 110, 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
Surg Today 40:684-7. 2010
..Although challenging and demanding, surgery represents the only mode of treatment that can offer the patient with a giant inguinoscrotal hernia a satisfactory level of function and quality of life...
- Modified computed tomography peritoneography: clinical utility in continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis patients
S P Hawkins
Department of Radiology, Middlemore Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
Australas Radiol 44:398-403. 2000
..Computed tomography peritoneography directs appropriate conservative or surgical management...
- Diffusion-weighted MR imaging of normal and abnormal scrotum: preliminary results
Athina C Tsili
Department of Clinical Radiology, University Hospital of Ioannina, Ioannina 45500, Greece
Asian J Androl 14:649-54. 2012
Magnetic resonance (MR) imaging of the scrotum represents an important supplemental diagnostic tool in the evaluation of scrotal diseases...
- Genital porokeratosis
Department of Dermatology, New York University, USA
Dermatol Online J 15:23. 2009
A 22-year-old man presented with a two-year history of warts on the penis, scrotum, and thighs. Physical examination showed multiple annular plaques with thin, threadlike borders on the penis and scrotum...
- Associations between sperm abnormalities, breed, age, and scrotal circumference in beef bulls
Ajitkumar G Menon
Department of Production Animal Health, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta
Can J Vet Res 75:241-7. 2011
..6%) and the lowest was Hereford (78.8%). That 17% of bulls subjected to breeding soundness evaluation were designated as unsatisfactory solely on the basis of sperm morphology highlights its importance...
- Regarding extremely large inguinal hernias with a contribution of two cases
L S Kovachev
Department of General Surgery, Medical University, Pleven, G Kochev Str 39, Entr D, Apt 2, 5800, Pleven, Bulgaria
Hernia 14:193-7. 2010
..These hernias demand interdisciplinary teamwork and their treatment has to be adapted to the individual condition of the patient using all therapeutic options...
- [Case report: emergency surgery of a giant scrotal hernia]
, , Klinikum Grosshadern, Germany
Zentralbl Chir 126:1018-20. 2001
..The operative treatment modalities of so called "giant hernias" as well as possible complication management are discussed...
- Technique for preservation of penile skin in genital reconstruction: free graft to the scrotum
Eric Z Massanyi
Department of Urology, Children s Hospital Medical Center of Akron, and Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, Akron, Ohio 44308, USA
Urology 78:659-61. 2011
..To describe a new technique to preserve the penile epithelium with good cosmetic results when additional surgery is a significant possibility. Complex genital reconstruction can require multiple procedures...
- The acute scrotum: aetiology, management and early outcome-preliminary report
N K Dakum
Urology Unit, Department of Surgery, Jos University Teaching Hospital, Jos, Nigeria
Niger J Med 14:267-71. 2005
..Most patients with acute scrotal pain may require urgent exploration. We determined the aetiological factors, treatment and early complications in such patients...
- A case of a large inguinoscrotal bladder hernia secondary to benign prostatic obstruction
The Department of Urology, Hitachi General Hospital
Hinyokika Kiyo 51:393-7. 2005
Large bladder hernias protruding into the scrotum are rare, with 23 cases having been reported previously in Japan...
- Circumferential negative-pressure dressing (VAC) to bolster skin grafts in the reconstruction of the penile shaft and scrotum
Adam Bryce Weinfeld
Frank Gerow Critical Wound Unit, Ben Taub General Hospital, Houston, TX, USA
Ann Plast Surg 54:178-83. 2005
..to the penis to secure skin grafts either directly to the penile shaft or to facilitate skin grafting to the scrotum. Graft areas ranged from 75 to 250 cm...
- Influence of the type of undertrousers and physical activity on scrotal temperature
Center of Dermatology and Andrology, Justus Liebig University Giessen, D 35392 Giessen, Germany
Hum Reprod 20:1022-7. 2005
..Testicular temperature correlates highly with scrotal temperature. The aim of this study was to evaluate the influence of the type of undertrousers on scrotal temperature during standardized periods of sitting and walking...
- Syringocystadenoma papilliferum arising on the scrotum
Department of Dermatology, Nihon University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Eur J Dermatol 13:271. 2003
- Basal cell carcinoma of the scrotum: clinicopathologic analysis of 10 cases
Department of Urology, Shanghai Cancer Center, Shanghai, China
Dermatol Surg 38:783-90. 2012
Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) located on the scrotum is rare.
- Sonography of the acute scrotum: the four T's of testicular imaging
Aaron F Wittenberg
Department of Radiology, MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland, OH 44118, USA
Curr Probl Diagn Radiol 35:12-21. 2006
The scrotum is frequently imaged on an emergent basis. The differential diagnosis of the acute scrotum can be divided into four categories-torsion, trauma, tumor, and "testiculitis" (epididymo-orchitis)...
- Vasospasm of the scrotum--a manifestation of Raynaud's phenomenon?
Department of Medical Angiology, University of Vienna, Austria
Vasa 33:87-8. 2004
..Other sites such as nose, ears could also be affected. We report a patient who has been suffering for long time of cold induced sensitivity associated with well demarcated pallor of the scrotum.
- Imaging of the scrotum in children
Department of Radiology, University of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Eur Radiol 14:974-83. 2004
Clinical examination of the scrotum is difficult due to the small size of the testes and the epididymis in infants and young children, and eliciting patients' history is challenging...
- Intraoperative frozen biopsy in wide surgical excision of Paget's disease of the scrotum
Department of Urology, Huashan Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Urol Oncol 27:483-5. 2009
To determine if there is an advantage to performing intraoperative frozen biopsy to ascertain clear surgical margins in wide surgical excision for Paget's disease of the scrotum.
- Increase in scrotal temperature in laptop computer users
Department of Urology and General Clinical Research Center, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook NY 11794 8093, USA
Hum Reprod 20:452-5. 2005
..LC are known to reach high internal operating temperatures. We evaluated the thermal effect of LC on the scrotum.
- Arteriovenous malformation of scrotum causing virtual azoospermia
Mara A Monoski
Cornell Institute for Reproductive Medicine, Center for Male Reproductive Medicine and Microsurgery, New York, New York, USA
Urology 68:203.e5-6. 2006
..Surgical correction of the scrotal AVM resulted in marked improvement in his semen parameters. The effect of the AVM on spermatogenesis was most likely mediated by an elevation in scrotal temperature...
- Acute scrotum -etiology, clinical presentation and seasonal variation
Ioannis D Lyronis
Kasteli Health Centre, Crete, Greece
Indian J Pediatr 76:407-10. 2009
..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the etiology, history, physical examination findings, and seasonal variation of acute scrotal problems in children...
- Arteries of the scrotum: a microvascular study and its application to urethral reconstruction with scrotal flaps
Department of Human Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
BJU Int 103:820-4. 2009
..To study scrotal microvascularization and apply the findings to the design of reliable skin flaps for reconstructive surgery of complex urethral or panurethral stenoses...
- Extramammary Paget's disease of scrotum--report of 25 cases and literature review
Department of Urology, Beijing Chaoyang Hospital, Capital University of Medicine Sciences, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Urol Oncol 28:28-33. 2010
..We evaluate the clinical manifestations, management, and prognostic characteristics of scrotal extramammary Paget's disease (EMPD)...
- Imaging of the acute scrotum: is there a place for contrast-enhanced ultrasonography?
Department of Radiology, General Hospital of Pireas Tzaneio, Pireas, Greece
Int Braz J Urol 35:692-702; discussion 702-5. 2009
To present and evaluate the findings of contrast-enhanced ultrasonography (CEUS) in typical cases of acute painful scrotum.
- A rare case of giant leiomyosarcoma in a filarial scrotum: a case report
Majid Ahmed Talikoti
Department of Surgical Oncology, BRAIRCH, AIIMS, New Delhi, 110029, India
World J Surg Oncol 9:20. 2011
Giant leiomyosarcoma of scrotum is a rare tumour...
- Angiolymphoid hyperplasia with eosinophilia affecting the scrotum: a rare case report with molecular evidence of T-cell clonality
Jeng Feng Chen
Department of Dermatology, Tri Service General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Dermatol 37:355-9. 2010
..A 38-year-old man had a gradually enlarging and mild pruritic plaque on the scrotum for half a year...
- Primary large-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the scrotum
Department of Urology, Clinical Hospital Center Rijeka, Rijeka, Croatia
Wien Klin Wochenschr 122:360-2. 2010
..The recurrent tumor revealed tumor tissue concurrent with the primary lesion. To the best of our knowledge, there have been no previously published case reports on neuroendocrine tumor of the scrotum.
- Subcutaneous phaeohyphomycosis on the scrotum caused by Exophiala jeanselmei: case report
André Luiz Rossetto
Universidade do Vale do Itajai, Itajai, SC, Brasil
An Bras Dermatol 85:517-20. 2010
..The abscess was treated successfully with oral fluconazole associated with surgical excision...
- A morphological study on Leydig cells of scrotal hyperthermia applied rats in short-term
Department of Histology and Embryology, Faculty of Medicine, Trakya University, 22030 Edirne, Turkey
J Mol Histol 40:31-9. 2009
..The number of lipid droplets was very considerably increased in most LC when compared to control group. As a conclusion, we claim that temperatures higher than the body temperature may cause infertility by damaging LC...
- Recurrent arteriovenous malformation of the scrotum secondary to pelvic trauma
St Peter s Andrology Centre, Institute of Urology, London, UK
Urol Int 77:365-7. 2006
..This was diagnosed as a lipoma on the ultrasound and clinical examination. To our knowledge, this is the first reported case of recurrent scrotal AVM secondary to trauma...
- Multiple nodules of the scrotum: histopathological findings and surgical procedure. A study of five cases
Department of Dermatology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 20:707-10. 2006
Multiple nodules of the scrotum are uncommonly reported. Their origin is controversial. Treatment is always surgical but the best procedure is still to be determined.
- Primary effusion lymphoma of the left scrotum
Department of Medicine and Clinical Science, Faculty of Medicine, Tottori University, Tottori
Intern Med 42:351-3. 2003
..man without human immunodeficiency virus, hepatitis B virus or hepatitis C virus was admitted with left scrotum swelling and hydrocele...
- The relation between daily activities and scrotal temperature
Niels Henrik I Hjollund
Department of Occupational Medicine, Aarhus University Hospital, Noerrebrogade 44, DK 8000 Aarhus, Denmark
Reprod Toxicol 16:209-14. 2002
..Measuring scrotal temperature provides a valid estimate of testicular temperature and is feasible in large cohorts. We conclude that work position is an important determinant of testicular temperature...
- Extramammary Paget's disease of scrotum
L G Ng
Department of Urology, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore, Singapore
Urology 58:105. 2001
We describe 4 cases of extramammary Paget's disease of the scrotum with underlying invasive carcinoma from 1997 to 1999. Three patients had metastatic inguinal lymphadenopathy. The delay in diagnosis was significant (mean 1 year)...
- Urinary bladder calculi in a sliding vesical-inguinal-scrotal hernia diagnosed preoperatively by plain abdominal radiography
Anthony Chi Fai Ng
Department of Surgery, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Adv Ther 24:1016-9. 2007
..A review of the literature revealed only 2 prior reported cases of bladder calculi within a vesical-inguinal-scrotal hernia...
- Lithiasic inguinoscrotal herniation of the bladder secondary to prostate enlargement
Department of Urology, Agios Dimitrios General Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
Acta Radiol 43:543-4. 2002
- Improvement of semen quality by nocturnal scrotal cooling and moderate behavioural change to reduce genital heat stress in men with oligoasthenoteratozoospermia
Center of Dermatology and Andrology, Justus Liebig University Giessen, D 35392 Giessen, Germany
Reproduction 121:595-603. 2001
..This study shows the importance of genital heat stress as a cofactor in fertility impairment in men and indicates nocturnal scrotal cooling as a therapeutic option...
- Ultrasonography of the scrotum: technique, anatomy, and pathologic entities
Louisiana State University Medical Center, New Orleans 70112, USA
J Ultrasound Med 21:171-85. 2002
To review the ultrasonographic technique, anatomy, and pathologic entities found in the scrotum during evaluation of scrotal masses, acute scrotal pain, and male infertility.
- Ultrasound of tropical and infectious diseases that affect the scrotum
Osmar de Cassio Saito
Assistant Doctors, Department of Radiology, School of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Ultrasound Q 20:12-8. 2004
Ultrasonography of the scrotum permits assessment of testicular and extratesticular masses with high sensitivity...
- Acute scrotum in children: a rare presentation of acute, non-perforated appendicitis
Department of Paediatric Surgery, B J Wadia Hospital for Children, Parel, Mumbai 400 012, India
Pediatr Surg Int 19:298-9. 2003
Acute scrotum is one of the rare presentations of acute appendicitis (AA) in paediatric patients. We report a case of acute scrotum due to a retrocaecal, non-perforated AA with a patent processus vaginalis...
- Clinical presentation of acute scrotum in young males
Chia Chu Liu
Department of Urology, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 23:281-6. 2007
The purpose of this study was to assess the clinical presentation and ultrasonographic findings of acute scrotum in young males...
- Imaging of the acute scrotum
Department of Radiology, University Hospital S Orsola Malpighi, Bologna, Italy
Eur Radiol 11:220-8. 2001
The scrotum is a superficial structure and clinical examination is frequently not enough for making a specific diagnosis. In acute scrotal pain US can confirm the presumptive clinical diagnosis and provide additional relevant information...
- Scutular tinea of the scrotum: report of two cases
Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Mycoses 48:162-4. 2005
..In the literature we found only two reports in immunocompetent patients and some in immune suppressed with similar symptoms...
- A single, mild, transient scrotal heat stress causes DNA damage, subfertility and impairs formation of blastocysts in mice
MRC Human Reproductive Sciences Unit, Queen s Medical Research Institute, 47 Little France Crescent, Edinburgh EH16 4TJ, UK
Reproduction 136:73-84. 2008
..Testicular function is temperature dependent, and in both man and mouse the position of the testes in the scrotum ensures that they are kept at between 2 and 8 degrees C below core body temperature...
- Leiomyosarcoma of the paratesticular region: a clinicopathologic study
Department of Pathology, The Royal Marsden NHS Trust, London, UK
Am J Surg Pathol 25:1143-9. 2001
..In summary, paratesticular LMSs are rare neoplasms. The majority in this site are low-grade, although high-grade lesions behave aggressively...
- Acute appendicitis in left scrotum
G D Bakhshi
Indian J Gastroenterol 23:195. 2004
- Approach to a giant inguinoscrotal hernia
A S El Saadi
Sana a University, Sana a, Yemen
Hernia 9:277-9. 2005
..This case highlights the problems encountered in management of huge hernias...
- Eccrine porocarcinoma of the scrotum
Department of Urology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Can J Urol 12:2722-3. 2005
..In past reports this presentation has been associated with Paget's disease. This is the first known report of eccrine porocarcinoma of the scrotum unassociated with Paget's disease.
- Lifestyle impact and the biology of the human scrotum
Research Centre for Reproductive Health, and School of Molecular and Biomedical Science, University of Adelaide, SA, Australia
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 5:15. 2007
The possession of a scrotum to contain the male gonads is a characteristic feature of almost all mammals, and appears to have evolved to allow the testes and epididymis to be exposed to a temperature a few degrees below that of core body ..
- Sonographic appearance of aggressive angiomyxoma of the scrotum
M De la Ossa
The Arkadi M. Rywlin Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Mount Sinai Medical Center, 4300 Alton Road, Blum Building, Suite 201, Miami Beach, FL 33140, USA
J Clin Ultrasound 29:476-8. 2001
..Histologic examination of the excised mass revealed a well-demarcated, nonencapsulated lesion composed of spindle-shaped cells in a myxoid background with a prominent vascular component...
- Accessory scrotum: prenatal sonographic features
R H Lee
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 30:118-9. 2007
- transient scrotal hyperthermia and levonorgestrel enhance testosterone-induced spermatogenesis suppression in men through increased germ cell apoptosis
Department of Medicine, Harbor University of California, Los Angeles, Torrance, California 90509, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:3292-304. 2007
..In rodents and monkeys, a combination of hormonal and physical agents accelerates germ cell death...
- Thermal asymmetry of the human scrotum
Groupe de Recherche en Fertilité Humaine, Universite Toulouse III Paul Sabatier, EA 3694, Hôpital Paule de Viguier, 330 avenue de Grande Bretagne, TSA 70034, Toulouse Cedex 9, France
Hum Reprod 22:2178-82. 2007
Scrotal temperatures in men have been reported to be either similar on both sides or higher on the left than the right scrotum. We aimed to clarify this discrepancy from new data.
- Sonography of the scrotum
Vikram S Dogra
Department of Radiology, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Case Western Reserve University, 11100 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Radiology 227:18-36. 2003
..5-10-MHz) transducer has become the imaging modality of choice for examination of the scrotum. US examination can provide information valuable for the differential diagnosis of a variety of disease processes ..
- The process of spermatogenesis liberates significant heat and the scrotum has a role in body thermoregulation
K P Skandhan
Department of Physiology, Sri Devaraj Urs Medical College, Kolar 563 101, India
Med Hypotheses 68:303-7. 2007
..Testes are purposefully kept away in the dangling scrotum to exclude the damage otherwise it would have caused to visceral organs from the heat it produced...
- Accessory scrotum with multiple skeletal abnormalities
2nd Urology Department, Sisli Etfal Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Urol 13:648-50. 2006
Accessory scrotum is very uncommon. Here we report a 5-year old Caucasian boy presenting with an accessory scrotum localized to the left side of the pubic area...
- Pathogenesis of lymphatic disease in bancroftian filariasis: a clinical perspective
NEPAF, Departamento de Cirurgia Hospital das Clinicas, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Av Prof Moraes Rego, s n 5o andar, Cidade Universitaria, Recife, 50740 900, PE, Brazil
Parasitol Today 16:544-8. 2000
..This model has profound implications for filariasis control programs and the management of the individual patient...
- Fusion of single-photon emission computed tomography and computed tomography images of sentinel lymph nodes in extramammary Paget's disease of the scrotum
Department of Dermatology, Shimane University School of Medicine, Izumo, Japan
J Dermatol 34:712-5. 2007
..0 for Windows). This method provided the fusion of SPECT and CT images in a short time and made it easy to identify the sentinel lymph nodes in the patient with extramammary Paget's disease of the scrotum.
- Retrospective review of paediatric patients with acute scrotum
Douglas Cohen Department of General Surgery, Children s Hospital at Westmead, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
ANZ J Surg 73:55-8. 2003
The purpose of the present study was to evaluate the historical features and physical examination findings in boys presenting with acute scrotum and to determine the reliability of these modalities to make the correct clinical diagnosis.
- Sonographic differential diagnosis of acute scrotum: real-time whirlpool sign, a key sign of torsion
S Boopathy Vijayaraghavan
Sonoscan Ultrasonic Scan Centre, Coimbatore, India
J Ultrasound Med 25:563-74. 2006
The purpose of this study was to prospectively investigate the role of high-resolution and color Doppler sonography in the differential diagnosis of acute scrotum and testicular torsion in particular.
- Vasectomy-related changes on sonographic examination of the scrotum
Neena M Reddy
University of California Davis Medical Center, Department of Radiology, 4860 Y Street, ACC 3100, Sacramento 95817, USA
J Clin Ultrasound 32:394-8. 2004
..The goal of this study was to evaluate the sonographic changes in the epididymis and testis after vasectomy using state-of-the-art high-resolution equipment...
- Clinical study of scrotum scintigraphy in 49 patients with acute scrotal pain: a comparison with ultrasonography
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Shanghai 6th People s Hospital, PR China
Ann Nucl Med 15:225-9. 2001
The significance of scrotum scintigraphy in differentiating acute testicular torsion from acute orchiepididymitis was evaluated...
- Multi-institutional outcome study on the efficacy of closed-suction drainage of the scrotum in three-piece inflatable penile prosthesis surgery
Division of Urology, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey 07103, USA
Int J Impot Res 17:535-8. 2005
..of postoperative scrotal swelling and associated adverse effects, many urologists are reluctant to drain the scrotum because of a theoretical risk of introducing an infection...
- Sebaceous hyperplasia of the scrotum in an adolescent boy
Hui jun Ma
Pediatr Dermatol 24:340-2. 2007
- Melanoma of the penis, scrotum and male urethra: a 40-year single institution experience
Department of Urology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
J Urol 173:1958-65. 2005
..We describe our experience with 10 patients with penile or urethral involvement. In addition, we present what is to our knowledge the largest reported series of melanoma of the scrotum (6 cases).
- Immunocytochemical localization of lysozyme and beta-defensin in the apocrine glands of the equine scrotum
Department of Veterinary Anatomy, College of Bioresource Sciences, Nihon University, 1866 Kameino, Fujisawa, Kanagawa, 252 8510, Japan
Arch Dermatol Res 299:393-7. 2007
..The presence and secretion of such substances that may serve as a non-specific defense against microorganisms are suggestive of the protective effect of the secretory production elaborated by the apocrine glands...
- Extensive balanitis xerotica obliterans of urethrocutaneous fistula presenting as mass in scrotum
Department of Urology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Urology 76:332-3. 2010
..lichen sclerosis (balanitis xerotica obliterans) involving the anterior urethra, urethrocutaneous fistula, and scrotum is described in a middle-aged man who presented with a history of obstructive voiding symptoms...
- Granular cell tumor of scrotum: a rare tumor of the male external genitalia
Urologic Oncology Program, Department of Urology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Urology 72:716.e7-9. 2008
We report a rare case of granular cell tumor in the scrotum. Granular cell tumors are soft-tissue neoplasms originating from Schwann cells that rarely affect male external genitalia...
- Cellular angiofibroma of the scrotum
Pathology 40:330-3. 2008
- An unusual presentation of acute scrotum after appendicitis
K H Ng
Singapore Med J 43:365-6. 2002
Acute scrotum following perforated appendicitis is a rare complication. This usually occurs in the presence of a patent processus vaginalis in children...
- An audit of the management of the acute scrotum in children with Henoch-Schonlein Purpura
A S Ioannides
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Alder Hey Children's Hospital, Liverpool
J R Coll Surg Edinb 46:98-9. 2001
Many children with Henoch-Schonlein anaphylactoid purpura syndrome (HSAPS) who develop an acute scrotum have scrotal explorations to exclude torsion of the spermatic cord...
- Primary scrotal cancer: disease characteristics and increasing incidence
Jonathan L Wright
Department of Urology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Urology 72:1139-43. 2008
..Using a population-based cancer registry, we describe the demographic and pathologic characteristics of scrotal cancer and report the incidence trends over time...
- Angiokeratoma of the scrotum: a case of scrotal bleeding
University Hospital of Wales, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XW, UK
Emerg Med J 23:e57. 2006
..There were numerous (>50) 1-2 mm dark red, erythematous papules over the scrotum, sparing the shaft of penis, inner thigh and abdomen...
- Colour Doppler ultrasonography replacing surgical exploration for acute scrotum: myth or reality?
Winnie Wing Chuen Lam
Department of Paediatric Surgery, KK Women s and Children s Hospital, 100 Bukit Timah Road, 229899 Singapore
Pediatr Radiol 35:597-600. 2005
Traditionally, every patient with an acute scrotum needed surgical exploration for definitive exclusion of testicular torsion.
- Surgical treatment of lymphedema of the penis and scrotum
Plastic Surgery Urology Faculty of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 61:289-94. 2006
Lymphedema of the penis and scrotum, regardless of its etiology, is determined by reduced lymphatic flow with subsequent enlargement of the penis and scrotum...
- Improvement of semen quality by nocturnal scrotal cooling in oligozoospermic men with a history of testicular maldescent
Center of Dermatology and Andrology, Justus Liebig University, D 35392 Giessen, Germany
Int J Androl 28:93-8. 2005
..The present study suggests nocturnal scrotal cooling as a therapeutic option to improve semen quality. In a further controlled prospective study the influence on pregnancy rates should be evaluated...
- Basal cell carcinoma of the scrotum with lymph node metastasis: report of a case and review of the literature
Department of Dermatology, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Kitakyushu, Japan
Int J Dermatol 44:54-6. 2005
- Early-onset Escherichia coli sepsis presenting as acute scrotum in preterm infant
Ming Chou Chiang
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, Chang Gung Children s Hospital, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Urology 65:389. 2005
..coli sepsis. We highlight the importance of sampling proper cultures and using suitable antibiotics after excluding testicular torsion in a neonate with an acute scrotum.
- Does color Doppler sonography improve the clinical assessment of patients with acute scrotum?
Urology Unit, Cannizzaro Hospital, Catania, Italy
Eur J Radiol 60:120-4. 2006
Our experience concerning the use of color Doppler sonography (CDS) in the differential diagnosis of acute scrotum is reported.
- Aggressive angiomyxoma of the scrotum
F P Chuang
Department of Surgery, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Arch Androl 48:101-6. 2002
..Herein, a case of aggressive angiomyxoma in an adult male is described, which arose in the scrotum over 12 months. The tumor showed an intermediate signal on T1-weighted MRI images...
- Re: Melanoma of the penis, scrotum and male urethra: a 40-year single institution experience. R. Sánchez-Ortiz, S. F. Huang, P. Tamboli, V. C. Prieto, G. Hester and C. A. Pettaway
Christopher Lovell Hankins
J Urol 175:1574-5; author reply 1575-6. 2006
- Leiomyosarcoma of scrotum--case report and review of literature
Providence Hospital, Southfield, Michigan 48075, USA
Urology 67:424.e13-424.e15. 2006
Leiomyosarcoma of the scrotum is a rare tumor. Cutaneous and subcutaneous leiomyosarcomas constitute the two subtypes. We report a case of cutaneous leiomyosarcoma of the scrotum in a 73-year-old man...
- Current management of the acute scrotum
John M Gatti
Department of Surgery Urology, University of Missouri at Kansas City School of Medicine, Children s Mercy Hospital, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
Semin Pediatr Surg 16:58-63. 2007
..The purpose of this article is to update/review the appropriate evaluation and management of the acute scrotum and to guide the clinician in distinguishing testicular torsion from the other conditions that commonly mimic ..