- Complications of laser-assisted uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (LA-UPPP) and radiofrequency treatments of snoring and chronic nasal congestion: a 10-year review of 5,600 patients
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Capital Health Medical Center, Trenton, NJ, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 62:1351-62. 2004
..The goal of this article is to provide practitioners with important data and guidelines to help them in decision-making and prepare them to anticipate problems and recommend a systematic approach to avoid or treat complications...
- Results of uvulopalatopharyngoplasty after diagnostic workup with polysomnography and sleep endoscopy: a report of 136 snoring patients
Natascha S Hessel
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Saint Lucas Andreas Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 260:91-5. 2003
..We conclude that after diagnostic workup by sleep registration and sleep endoscopy, the success rate of UPPP increases as compared to historical controls...
- Same-stage palatopharyngeal and hypopharyngeal surgery for severe obstructive sleep apnea
Hsueh Yu Li
Department of Otolaryngology Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University Taipei, Taiwan
Acta Otolaryngol 124:820-6. 2004
..To investigate surgical outcomes with two types of combined palatopharyngeal and hypopharyngeal surgery for the treatment of severe obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)...
- Prediction and risk of dysphagia after uvulopalatopharyngoplasty and uvulopalatoplasty
Eva Levring Jäghagen
Departments of Odontology, Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Acta Otolaryngol 124:1197-203. 2004
..To test the hypothesis that preoperative asymptomatic pharyngeal swallowing dysfunction predisposes for the development of symptoms of dysphagia after uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP) and uvulopalatoplasty (UPP)...
- Plasma radiofrequency preceded by pressure recording enhances success for treating sleep-related breathing disorders
EuroSleep, Bergen, Norway
Laryngoscope 117:731-6. 2007
..The purpose of this study was to assess a plasma-mediated radiofrequency (RF)-based coblation assisted upper airway procedure (CAUP) to treat SRBD patients determined to have obstruction localized to the upper (mid)-pharyngeal region...
- The efficacy of surgical modifications of the upper airway in adults with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome
A E Sher
Division of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Albany Medical College, New York, USA
Sleep 19:156-77. 1996
..The studies to support the use of the surgical treatment of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome contain biases related to small sample size, limited follow-up and patient selection...
- Hyoidthyroidpexia as a treatment in multilevel surgery for obstructive sleep apnea
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Foundation IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, University of Pavia
Acta Otolaryngol 128:680-4. 2008
..For these reasons, the careful study and selection of patients is fundamental in the surgical treatment of OSAS...
- Structural effectiveness of pharyngeal sleep apnea surgery
B Tucker Woodson
Division of Sleep Medicine, Department of Otolaryngology and Communication Sciences, Medical College of Wisconsin, 9200 West Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Sleep Med Rev 12:463-79. 2008
..Further research on structural outcomes for palatopharyngoplasty, as well as other surgical procedures, is needed to improve clinical outcomes...
- The effect of hyoid suspension in a multilevel surgery concept for obstructive sleep apnea
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Mannheim, Mannheim, Germany
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 134:856-61. 2006
..This study investigated the outcome of the hyoid suspension as a part of a multilevel surgery protocol...
- UPPP combined with radiofrequency thermotherapy of the tongue base for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome
Emke van den Broek
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, St Lucas Andreas Hospital, Jan Tooropstraat 164, 1061 AE, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 265:1361-5. 2008
..Adding RFTB to UPPP results in a mild improvement compared to UPPP alone. Although the addition of RFTB to UPPP seems to result in only a limited improvement, there is no major downside to it. RFTB is well tolerated and safe...
- Effect of uvulopalatopharyngoplasty on positional dependency in obstructive sleep apnea
Chul Hee Lee
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, 300 Goomi Dong, Bundang gu, Seongnam, Gyunggi do 463 707, South Korea
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 137:675-9. 2011
..To assess the effect of uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP) on positional dependency in patients with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)...
- Paroxysmal alternating skew deviation and nystagmus after partial destruction of the uvula
MRC Human Movement and Balance Unit, The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG, UK
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 70:790-3. 2001
..and direction changing nystagmus after biopsy of the inferior cerebellar vermis resulting in destruction of the uvula. Between attacks she had right over left skew deviation with asymptomatic right beating horizontal nystagmus...
- Topography and axonal collaterals of trigeminocerebellar projection to the paramedian lobule and uvula in the rabbit cerebellum
Department of Neurobiology, University School of Physical Education, 55 Grunwaldzka St, 60 352 Poznan, Poland
Acta Neurobiol Exp (Wars) 66:145-51. 2006
..projections of the trigeminal sensory nuclei (TSN) to the rostral parts of the paramedian lobule (PML) and of the uvula of the rabbit cerebellar cortex, the retrograde double fluorescent labeling method was used...
- Enhancement of the bias component of downbeat nystagmus after lesions of the nodulus and uvula
Mark F Walker
Department of Neurology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland VA Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1164:482-5. 2009
In two monkeys, we recorded spontaneous eye movements before and after ablation of the cerebellar nodulus and uvula (Nod/Uv). In both monkeys, there was an increase in upward ocular drift (downbeat nystagmus [DBN]) in darkness (M1: 1...
- Lesions of the cerebellar nodulus and uvula impair downward pursuit
Mark F Walker
Department of Neurology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Neurophysiol 100:1813-23. 2008
..and step-ramp (SR) pursuit in two rhesus monkeys, before and after surgical lesions of the cerebellar nodulus and uvula (Nod/Uv). Eye movements were recorded using the magnetic field scleral search coil method...
- The effect of uvulopalatopharyngoplasty on the nasality of voice
J Scott Greene
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Geisinger Medical Center, Danville, Pennsylvania 17822, USA
J Voice 18:423-30. 2004
..Although this study does not obviate the need for preoperative counseling of patients about the potential effect of UPPP on voice, they can be counseled that the risk of hypernasality after UPPP is low...
- Use of Muller's maneuver in the evaluation of patients with sleep apnea--literature review
Maria Claudia Mattos Soares
Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 75:463-6. 2009
..Fiberoptic nasopharyngoscopy with Muller's maneuver, first described by Borowieck and Sassin (1983), is among them...
- Tuberculosis of nose and palate with vanishing uvula
Department of ENT, North Eastern Indira Gandhi Regional Institute of Health and Medical Sciences, Mawdiangdiang, Shillong, Meghalaya, India
Indian J Med Microbiol 29:63-5. 2011
..We describe a case of tuberculosis in an adult male who presented with palatal perforation with vanishing uvula and arch deformity of the palate...
- Revised uvulopalatopharyngoplasty with uvula preservation and its clinical study
The Department of Otolaryngology, Beijing Tongren Hospital, Capitol Medical University, Beijing, China
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 67:213-9. 2005
..A revised uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP) is reported for reducing the surgical complications without compromising the response...
- Histopathology of the uvula and the soft palate in patients with mild, moderate, and severe obstructive sleep apnea
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Meir General Hospital, Kfar Saba, Israel
Laryngoscope 112:357-63. 2002
To study morphometric and qualitative histopathologic changes of the soft palate and uvula in patients with mild, moderate, and severe obstructive sleep apnea.
- Occult squamous cell carcinoma of the uvula detected by F-18 FDG PET/CT in a case of carcinoma of unknown primary in the head and neck
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Kasr El Aini Hospital, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
Clin Nucl Med 35:800-1. 2010
..PET/CT imaging was performed to detect the primary tumor site, which revealed a small metabolically-avid lesion in uvula, biopsy demonstrated SCC, the origin of metastatic disease...
- Laser-assisted uvulopalatoplasty for the treatment of snoring and mild obstructive sleep apnea syndrome
Dionysios E Kyrmizakis
ENT Department, University Hospital, Heraklion, Crete, Greece
J Otolaryngol 32:174-9. 2003
..To determine the efficacy of the laser-assisted uvulopalatoplasty (LAUP) procedure on snoring and Apnea-Hypopnea-Index (AHI) improvement in patients with snoring and mild obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS)...
- Treatment of primary snoring using modified radiofrequency-assisted uvulopalatoplasty
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Ataturk University, Erzurum, Turkey
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 266:1807-14. 2009
..05). Thus, MRAUP seems to be a promising technique for surgery as a treatment for snoring...
- Why do we have a uvula?: literature review and a new theory
G W Back
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, York District Hospital, Wigginton Road, York, UK
Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci 29:689-93. 2004
From ancient times up to the present day many different functions and conditions have been attributed to the uvula, many speculative and some with a more scientific basis...
- Haemangioma of the uvula causing loud habitual snoring--a rare entity
J F Thong
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore
Med J Malaysia 63:408-9. 2008
..This case report illustrates a rare cause of OSA and demonstrates the efficacy of surgery for obvious obstructive lesions of the pharynx...
- Effects of uvulopalatopharyngoplasty with Harmonic Scalpel on speech and voice
ENT Department, University of Genoa, Via dei Mille 11 9, 16147 Genoa, Italy
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 266:1989-94. 2009
..In our experiences UPPP, with the HS, improves speech and voice in patients affected by snoring and/or obstructive sleep apnea syndrome...
- Hair tourniquet of the uvula
Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, University of Louisville, 571 S Floyd Street, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
J Emerg Med 24:325-6. 2003
- Nasalance, nasality, voice, and articulation after uvulopalatopharyngoplasty
Kristiane M Van Lierde
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Ghent University Hospital, Belgium
Laryngoscope 112:873-8. 2002
..Because of removal of effective velar length, articulation problems of the uvular /R/ can occur in the Dutch language...
- One stage multilevel surgery (uvulopalatopharyngoplasty, hyoid suspension, radiofrequent ablation of the tongue base with/without genioglossus advancement), in obstructive sleep apnea syndrome
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, St Lucas Andreas Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 264:439-44. 2007
- [Modified uvula flap in therapy of sleep-related breathing disorders]
Universitäts HNO Klinik, 68135 Mannheim
HNO 49:361-6. 2001
..2 +/- 19.6; after 8.2 +/- 9.8; p < 0.05). Snoring decreased clearly (p < 0.05) from 49.4% to 25.9%...
- The roles of the anterior tonsillar pillar and previous tonsillectomy on sleep-disordered breathing
Department of Otolaryngology and Communicative Disorders, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, OH 44195, USA
Ear Nose Throat J 83:408, 410-3. 2004
..Knowledge of this correlation can help guide the method of surgical treatment and should reinforce the need to maintain the integrity of the anterior tonsillar pillars...
- Laser-assisted uvulopalatoplasty for snoring: does it meet the expectations?
Otorhinolaryngology Service, Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi Sunyer, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Eur Respir J 24:66-70. 2004
- Laser assisted uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (LA-UPPP) for the treatment of snoring and mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Capital Health System, 750 Brungswick Avenue, Trenton, NJ, USA
Atlas Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am 15:129-37. 2007
- [The evaluation of the effectiveness of uvulopalatopharyngoplasy in the treatment of selected patients with mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnoea--one year of postoperative follow up]
Akademia Medyczna w Białymstoku, Klinika Otolaryngologii
Pol Merkur Lekarski 22:529-31. 2007
..The effectiveness of this procedure in a group of unselected patients is estimated on about 40%...
- [Failure of uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP) in severe obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA)]
Zakład Diagnostyki i Leczenia Niewydolności Oddychania Instytutu Gruzlicy i Chorób Płuc w Warszawie
Pneumonol Alergol Pol 75:121-8. 2007
..Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP) is the most frequent surgical procedure in obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) treatment. The aim of this study was to assess effects of UPPP in OSA subjects admitted to our Sleep Laboratory...
- [Snoring: therapeutic options]
R de la Chaux
Interdiszip linären Schlaflabors, Klinik und Poliklinik für HNO, Klinikum Grosshadern, LMU Munchen
MMW Fortschr Med 149:33-5. 2007
..Primarily weight loss and avoidance of alcohol in the evening as well as devices and surgery are used in the treatment of snoring...
- Lateral pharyngoplasty versus uvulopalatopharyngoplasty: a clinical, polysomnographic and computed tomography measurement comparison
Michel B Cahali
Division of Otolaryngology, Hospital das Clinicas, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Brazil
Sleep 27:942-50. 2004
..To compare the lateral pharyngoplasty procedure with uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP) in the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea hypopnea syndrome (OSAHS)...
- [Treatment of sleep apnea syndrome: otorhinolaryngological treatment]
Nihon Naika Gakkai Zasshi 93:1140-6. 2004
- The effect of upper airway structural changes on central chemosensitivity in obstructive sleep apnea-hypopnea
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Sleep Breath 8:73-83. 2004
..21 L/min/mm Hg) and that of poor responders (2.52 +/- 0.20 L/min/mm Hg). We saw no significant difference in physiologic (age, body mass index, one-piece tonsil weight), blood gas values, cephalometric, spirometric, or sleep parameters...
- Lateral pharyngoplasty: a new treatment for obstructive sleep apnea hypopnea syndrome
Michel B Cahali
Division of Otolaryngology, Hospital das Clinicas, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Brazil
Laryngoscope 113:1961-8. 2003
..My objective is to describe a surgical procedure for splinting the lateral pharyngeal walls in patients with OSAHS and report the initial results...
- Beware of the"..."
Edward M Weaver
J Clin Sleep Med 1:434; author reply 435. 2005
- Persistent hypersomnolence in an elderly male
Rahul K Kakkar
Pulmonary Division, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32608, USA
J Clin Sleep Med 3:316-7. 2007
- Inappropriate pro/con
David W Hudgel
J Clin Sleep Med 2:217. 2006
- [Complication after laser assisted uvulopalatoplasty in the treatment of snoring and obstructive sleep apnea syndrome]
II Katedra i Klinika Laryngologii Sl AM w Zabrzu
Otolaryngol Pol 57:675-8. 2003
..In this group of patients there were no cases of bleedings needed hospitalization, nasal speech, nasopharyngeal stenosis, palatal incompetence, airway compromise or death...
- Resolution of severe sleep-disordered breathing with a nasopharyngeal obturator in 2 cases of nasopharyngeal stenosis complicating uvulopalatopharyngoplasty
Brooke Army Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, Texas 78234, USA
Sleep Breath 8:49-55. 2004
..Polysomnographic demonstration of the effectiveness of this therapy has not previously been reported. Future questions include duration of nasopharyngeal stenting and timing of follow-up polysomnography...
- Staging of obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome: a guide to appropriate treatment
Department of Otolaryngology and Bronchoesophagology, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Laryngoscope 114:454-9. 2004
..The goal of this study is to test the value of this staging system in a prospective study...
- Sleep endoscopy versus modified Mallampati score in sleep apnea and snoring
Cindy den Herder
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, St Lucas Andreas Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Laryngoscope 115:735-9. 2005
- [Practicability of a surgical multilevel therapy in patients with obstructive sleep apnea]
E A Stripf
Universitäts HNO Klinik, Langenbeckstr 1, 55101 Mainz
HNO 55:E1-6. 2007
..The concept of multilevel surgery takes account of the fact that the location of the obstruction frequently cannot be identified precisely...
- Palatal stiffening after failed uvulopalatopharyngoplasty with the Pillar Implant System
Department of Otolaryngology and Bronchoesophagology, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Laryngoscope 116:1956-61. 2006
- Upper airway surgery does have a major role in the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea "the tail end of the dog". Pro
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science Division of Sleep Disorders Medicine and Research, Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
J Clin Sleep Med 1:236-40. 2005
- [Assessment of the effectiveness of uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP) in the treatment of mild and moderate OSA patients preliminarily selected for the procedure by simple clinical examination]
Klinika Otolaryngologii AM w Białymstoku
Otolaryngol Pol 60:363-8. 2006
..The aim of our study was to assess the efficacy of uvulopalatopharyngoplasty in the treatment of mild and moderate OSA patients who were preliminary selected by simple clinical examination...
- Safety of uvulopalatopharyngoplasty as outpatient surgery
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 134:542-4. 2006
..Determine the admission rate and characterize the complications in uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP) patients scheduled to have outpatient surgery...
- Cervical CT derived neck fat tissue distribution differences in Japanese males and females and its effect on retroglossal and retropalatal airway volume
Orofacial Pain Oral Medicine Center, Division of Diagnostic Sciences, School of Dentistry, University of Southern California Los Angeles, CA 90089 0641, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 106:275-84. 2008
..The objective of this study was to investigate the difference of neck fat tissue distribution by sex and its correlation with retropalatal and retroglossal airway...
- [Perioperative management of severe obstructive sleep apnea hypopnea syndrome]
Run han Li
Departments of Otorhinolaryngology, First People s Hospital of Foshan, Foshan 528000, China
Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao 26:661-3. 2006
..To investigate the perioperative management of severe obstructive sleep apnea hypopnea syndrome (OSAHS)...
- Can anatomical and functional features in the upper airways predict sleep apnea? A population-based study in females
Department of Surgical Sciences, Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Acta Otolaryngol 126:613-20. 2006
..The importance of clinical findings in the nose and throat, including fiberoptic endoscopy during the Muller maneuver, in predicting sleep apnea is greater in normal-weight than in overweight women...
- Prediction of uvulopalatopharyngoplasty outcome: anatomy-based staging system versus severity-based staging system
Hsueh Yu Li
Department of Otolaryngology, Sleep Center, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Sleep 29:1537-41. 2006
..To evaluate and compare outcomes of uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP) for obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome (OSAHS) using anatomy- and severity-based staging systems...
- Tongue base suspension combined with UPPP in severe OSA patients
ME DI ENT Center, Istanbul, Turkey
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 133:218-23. 2005
..The aim of this study was to evaluate the long-term objective and subjective effectiveness of the minimally invasive tongue base suspension combined with UPPP in severe OSA patients...
- Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty outcome assessment with quantitative computer-assisted videoendoscopic airway analysis
Pon Poh Hsu
Division of Otolaryngology, Changi General Hospital, Singapore, Republic of Singapore
Acta Otolaryngol 127:65-70. 2007
- Corrections to surgical outcomes data
B Tucker Woodson
J Clin Sleep Med 1:436; author reply 437. 2005
- Hyoidthyroidpexia: a surgical treatment for sleep apnea syndrome
Cindy den Herder
ENT Department, St Lucas Andreas Hospital Amsterdam, Noord Holland, The Netherlands
Laryngoscope 115:740-5. 2005
..The aim of this study is to evaluate the results of primary hyoidthyroidpexia (HTP) and HTP after previous uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP) in patients with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS)...
- Successful treatment of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome improves autonomic nervous system dysfunction
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Ehime University School of Medicine, Ehime, Japan
Clin Exp Hypertens 27:259-67. 2005
..These results suggest that impaired ANS function is present in patients with OSAS and can be improved by successful treatment of OSAS...
- Quality of life 17 to 20 years after uvulopalatopharyngoplasty
Yau H Goh
YH Goh Ear Nose Throat, Head and Neck Surgery, Mount Elizabeth Medical Centre, Republic of Singapore
Laryngoscope 117:503-6. 2007
..To study the long-term quality of life outcomes of a group of unselected patients for the long-term effects of uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP)...
- [Quantitative evaluation of the upper airway by CT scan with the Muller maneuver]
Department of Otolaryngology, Shenyang General Hospital of PLA, Shenyang 110015, China
Lin Chuang Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi 19:104-7. 2005
..To explore the quantitative evaluation of upper airway by CT scan with Muller maneuver, and study the difference of the pharynx wall resilience between OSAHS patients and normal adults...
- Combined nasal-palatopharyngeal surgery for obstructive sleep apnea: simultaneous or staged?
Hsueh Yu Li
Department of Otolaryngology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Acta Otolaryngol 125:298-303. 2005
..Our data indicate that surgical outcomes in a simultaneous surgery group were equivalent to those in a staged surgery group. The simultaneous type of surgery was more cost-effective in terms of total hospitalization expenses...
- Long-term results and complications following uvulopalatopharyngoplasty in 116 consecutive patients
Department of ENT, Head and Neck Surgery, Inselspital, University of Bern, 3010, Bern, Switzerland
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 263:754-8. 2006
..The operation consisted of a classical tonsillectomy or residual tonsil resection and additional shortening of the uvula. The natural mucosal fold between the uvula and the upper pole of the tonsils was carefully preserved...
- [Treatment result of uvulopalatopharyngoplasty and tongue base operation for the severe obstructive sleep apnea-hypopnea syndrome]
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Yuhuangding Hospital, Yantai, Shandong 264000, China
Zhonghua Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi 37:409-11. 2002
..To study the effect and operative method of UPPP and tongue base operation for the severe OSAHS at Velo- and tongue-pharyngeal obstruction...
- Laser-assisted uvulopalatoplasty revisited
Yosef P Krespi
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, 425 West 59th Street, 10th Floor, New York, NY 10019, USA
Otolaryngol Clin North Am 36:495-500. 2003
..A sleep study with snoring analysis helps in patient selection. Laser-assisted uvulopalatoplasty can be performed adequately in one sitting...
- Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty versus laser uvulopalatoplasty: prospective long-term follow-up of self-reported symptoms
Division of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Respiratory Unit, Danderyd Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Otolaryngol 122:752-7. 2002
..Side-effects such as minor swallowing disturbances were frequent, using either surgical modality, but few patients were bothered if surgery was successful...
- Upper airway surgery for obstructive sleep apnea
Aaron E Sher
Capital Region Otolaryngology Head Neck Group, LLP, Albany, NY, USA
Sleep Med Rev 6:195-212. 2002
..Well designed, multi-center studies would help clarify the strengths and weaknesses of different treatment approaches...
- Palatal surgery for snoring: objective long-term evaluation
E Z Osman
Department of Otolaryngology, Glan Clwyd Hospital, Rhyl, Denbighshire, UK
Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci 28:257-61. 2003
..This study is the first to use postoperative objective assessment in the home and to demonstrate that snoring reduction is maintained for several years after snoring surgery...
- [Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty and laser assisted uvulopalatoplasty in treatment of patients with sleep related breathing disorders]
Katedra i Klinika Otolaryngologii AM w Warszawie
Otolaryngol Pol 56:415-9. 2002
..The authors describes operation technique, qualification criteria and results assessed on the basis of basic values of polysomnographic study as well as subjective feelings of patients...
- [Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome in 70 cases]
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Union Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430022
Lin Chuang Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi 15:267-8. 2001
..Protection of palatosalpingeus and palatostaphylinus. Part preservation of uvula. Confirmation of the obstructive region. Choice of the anesthesia and preventive tracheotomy...
- [The upper airway CT scan in patients with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome]
Department of Otolaryngology, Shenyang General Hospital of PLA, Shenyang 110015
Lin Chuang Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi 16:280-2. 2002
..To compare the CT scan results in OSAS patients and normal adults so as to explore its value in measuring upper airway structure...
- Diagnostic studies in obstructive sleep apnea
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1855 West Taylor Street, Room 3 87, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Otolaryngol Clin North Am 40:785-805. 2007
..In this article, the various modalities are reviewed in terms of their capability to effectively diagnose and guide treatment of OSA...
- [Clinical study of uvulopalatopharyngoplasty treatment for middle degree of obstructive sleep apnea syndromes]
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Beijing Tongren Hospital, Beijing 100730
Lin Chuang Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi 17:84-5. 2003
..In order to investigate the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS) METHOD: The improved uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP) operations were performed on 64 cases...
- Dynamic interaction between the tongue and soft palate during obstructive apnea in anesthetized patients with sleep-disordered breathing
Department of Anesthesiology B1 Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, Chiba 260 8670, Japan
J Appl Physiol (1985) 95:2257-64. 2003
..The results indicate significant dynamic interaction between the tongue and soft palate during both obstructive apnea and each inspiratory effort, possibly maintaining closure at the retropalatal airway...
- Brachytherapy versus surgery in carcinoma of tonsillar fossa and/or soft palate: late adverse sequelae and performance status: can we be more selective and obtain better tissue sparing?
Department of Radiation Oncology, Erasmus Medical Center, Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 59:713-24. 2004
..The aim of the study is to validate the use of a more selective clinical target volume in conjunction with highly conformal radiotherapy (RT) techniques to better spare the surrounding normal tissues...
- Lepromatous leprosy: a review and case report
Eduardo Chimenos Kustner
Facultad de Odontologia, Universidad de Barcelona
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 11:E474-9. 2006
..The lesions are usually located on the hard and soft palate, in the uvula, on the underside of the tongue, and on the lips and gums...
- The relation of motion sickness to the spatial-temporal properties of velocity storage
Department of Neurology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 1 East 100th Street, Box 1135, New York, NY 10029, USA
Exp Brain Res 151:173-89. 2003
..the postulate that the spatiotemporal properties of velocity storage, which are processed between the nodulus and uvula of the vestibulocerebellum and the vestibular nuclei, are likely to represent the source of the conflict ..
- Characterisation of human soft palate muscles with respect to fibre types, myosins and capillary supply
P S Stål
Department of Integrative Medical Biology, Section for Anatomy, Umea University, Sweden
J Anat 197:275-90. 2000
Four human soft palate muscles, and palatopharyngeus, the uvula, the levator and tensor veli palatini were examined using enzyme-histochemical, immunohistochemical and biochemical methods and compared with human limb and facial muscles...
- Anatomical correlates of ocular motor deficits in cerebellar lesions
Department of Neurology, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
Brain 132:2114-24. 2009
..cause smooth pursuit disorders: those of the flocculus/paraflocculus and the vermis including lobule VI, VII, the uvula and the deep cerebellar nuclei...
- Radiofrequency tissue volume reduction of the soft palate and UPPP in the treatment of snoring
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University Hospital Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 26, 8036, Graz, Austria
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 263:164-70. 2006
..According to the anatomical findings (the size of the tonsils and uvula), the patients underwent UPPP/TE of the RFTVR of the soft palate. Forty-seven patients had UPPP/TE (age 45.81+/-12...
- Differential central projections of vestibular afferents in pigeons
J D Dickman
Department of Surgery Otolaryngology, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson 39216, USA
J Comp Neurol 367:110-31. 1996
..nuclei; the A and B groups; the intermediate, medial, and lateral cerebellar nuclei; and the nodulus, the uvula, and the paraflocculus...
- Course and targets of the calbindin D-28k subpopulation of primary vestibular afferents
Freie Universitat Berlin, Fachbereich Humanmedizin, Universitatsklinikum Benjamin Franklin, Department of Physiology, Germany
J Comp Neurol 402:111-28. 1998
..The Calb+ primary vestibular input on the contralateral side terminates solely in the rostral half of the ventral uvula and in the nodulus of the cerebellar cortex...
- Neuron specific alpha-adrenergic receptor expression in human cerebellum: implications for emerging cerebellar roles in neurologic disease
U B Schambra
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Quillen College of Medicine, East Tennessee State University, Box 70582, Johnson City, TN 37614 0582, USA
Neuroscience 135:507-23. 2005
..Additionally, Purkinje cells of the anterior lobe vermis (lobules I to V) and uvula/tonsil (lobules IX/HIX) express alpha 1a and alpha 2c subtypes, and Purkinje cells in the ansiform lobule (lobule ..
- Cephalometric evaluation of children with nocturnal sleep-disordered breathing
Oral and Maxillofacial Department, Oulu University Hospital, Finland
Eur J Orthod 32:662-71. 2010
..and OSA were associated with decreased pharyngeal diameters at the levels of the adenoids (PNS-ad1) and tip of the uvula (u1-u2), an increased diameter at the level of the base of the tongue (rl1-rl2), a thicker soft palate, and ..
- Aneurysm syndromes caused by mutations in the TGF-beta receptor
Bart L Loeys
McKusick Nathans Institute for Genetic Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, and the Kennedy Krieger Institute, Baltimore, USA
N Engl J Med 355:788-98. 2006
..The disease is characterized by the triad of arterial tortuosity and aneurysms, hypertelorism, and bifid uvula or cleft palate and is caused by heterozygous mutations in the genes encoding transforming growth factor beta ..
- Four novel prosthodontic methods for managing upper airway resistance syndrome: an investigative analysis revealing the efficacy of the new nasopharyngeal aperture guard appliance
Department of Prosthodontics, SRM Dental College, Bharathy Saalai, Ramapuram, Chennai 600 089, India
Indian J Dent Res 21:44-8. 2010
..Despite this, it is implicit that a noninvasive method of managing obstructive sleep apnea is more relevant for overcoming this condition...
- Usefulness of cephalometry in sparing polysomnography of patients with suspected obstructive sleep apnea
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Dr Negrin Hospital, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria University, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
Sleep Breath 10:181-7. 2006
..the mandibular plane, and from the posterior nasal spine to the tip of the soft palate, and the thickness of the uvula as well...
- Spatial symmetries in vestibular projections to the uvula-nodulus
Isaac Z Foster
Wheaton College, Norton, MA, USA
Biol Cybern 96:439-53. 2007
..The major visual and vestibular projections in the rabbit via the inferior olive to the uvula-nodulus carry three degrees of freedom-rotations about one vertical and two horizontal axes-but do not have full ..
- Snoring imaging: could Bernoulli explain it all?
University Clinic for Otorhinolaryngology and Cervicofacial Surgery, Zaloska 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Chest 128:896-901. 2005
..To identify upper airway changes in snoring using CT scanning, to clarify the snoring mechanism, and to identify the key structures involved...
- [The effects of pressure level in veil on upper airway in patients with obstructive sleep apnea hypopnea syndrome]
Department of Otolaryngology, Shenyang General Hospital of PLA, Shenyang 110015, China
Lin Chung Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi 22:673-7. 2008
..To observe the effects of pressure level in veil on upper airway in patients with obstructive sleep apnea hypopnea syndrome (OSAHS) and normal adults...
- The fetal cleft palate: II. Scarless healing after in utero repair of a congenital model
Department of Plastic Surgery, Brown University School of Medicine, Rhode Island Hospital, Providence 02905, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 104:1356-64. 1999
..excision of a 20 x 3 mm full-thickness midline section of the secondary palate extending from the alveolus to the uvula, at 85 days of gestation...
- Microdeletion of the Down syndrome critical region at 21q22
Division of Clinical Genetics and Molecular Medicine, National Center for Child Health and Development, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Med Genet A 152:950-3. 2010
..retardation, hypospadias, corneal clouding, arched eyebrows, upslanting and narrow palpebral fissures, bifid uvula, prominent nasal root, short columella, prominent central incisors, pegged shaped teeth, retrognathia, hypoplastic ..
- Differential projections from the vestibular nuclei to the flocculus and uvula-nodulus in pigeons (Columba livia)
Janelle M P Pakan
Centre for Neuroscience, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2E9
J Comp Neurol 508:402-17. 2008
..is divided into two regions based on the responses of Purkinje cells to optic flow stimuli: the uvula-nodulus responds best to self-translation, and the flocculus responds best to self-rotation...
- Cortical correlates of vestibulo-ocular reflex modulation: a PET study
M D Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Brain 126:1562-78. 2003
..pole, inferior temporal gyrus, a broad area in the visual cortex, including fusiform and lingual gyrus, cerebellar uvula/nodulus and flocculus, exhibited positive correlation with fixation suppression of caloric nystagmus, while ..
- Patterns of age-related shrinkage in cerebellum and brainstem observed in vivo using three-dimensional MRI volumetry
A R Luft
Department of Neuroradiology, University of Tubingen, Germany
Cereb Cortex 9:712-21. 1999
..radial (lobules I-V = lingula/lobulus/culmen, lobules VI-VII = declive/folium/tuber, lobules VIII-X = pyramis/uvula/nodulus) and three transverse subdivisions (vermis, medial, lateral hemisphere)...
- Anterior pillarplasty: a modification in cleft palate repair
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Marmara University School of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
J Craniofac Surg 22:1432-4. 2011
..The incision at the cleft margin extended behind the uvula as a modification to the classic design of mucoperiosteal flaps...
- Oral implant rehabilitation in a patient with Moebius syndrome
Centro Medico Teknon, Barcelona, Spain
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 14:E295-8. 2009
..muscle weakness, uncontrolled salivation secondary to deficient lip sealing, micrognathia, microstomia, bifid uvula, gothic and fissured palate, fissured tongue, and glossoptosis...
- The assessment of midface distraction osteogenesis in treatment of upper airway obstruction
Department of Plastic Surgery, Renji Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
J Craniofac Surg 20:1876-81. 2009
..05). The two-dimensional measurement also showed that the cross-sectional area at the posterior nasal spine and uvula airway level increased (P < 0...
- Traditional tonsillectomy compared with bipolar radiofrequency thermal ablation tonsillectomy in adults: a pilot study
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Haartmaninkatu 4E, PO Box 220, Helsinki 00290, Finland
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 127:1106-12. 2001
..To assess the morbidity and efficacy of bipolar radiofrequency thermal ablation tonsillectomy and compare it with traditional cold dissection tonsillectomy with diathermy hemostasis...