Genomes and Genes
Summary: Muscles arising in the zygomatic arch that close the jaw. Their nerve supply is masseteric from the mandibular division of the trigeminal nerve. (From Stedman, 25th ed)
Publications253 found, 100 shown here
- Review of aetiological concepts of temporomandibular pain disorders: towards a biopsychosocial model for integration of physical disorder factors with psychological and psychosocial illness impact factorsTuija I Suvinen
Institute of Dentistry, University of Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Pain 9:613-33. 2005....
- Analgesic action of gabapentin on chronic pain in the masticatory muscles: a randomized controlled trialPablo Kimos
TMD Orofacial Pain Clinic, Department of Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alta, Canada
Pain 127:151-60. 2007Chronic masticatory myalgia (CMM) can be defined as constant pain in the masticatory muscles for more than 6 months and is influenced by the central nervous system...
- Motor behavior of the jaw muscles during different clenching levelsStefan Rues
Research Group Biomechanics, Institute for Mechanics, University of Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe, Germany
Eur J Oral Sci 116:223-8. 2008..Pure axial loading of teeth seems to be impeded by the anterior force component during bilateral clenching. The posterior movement of the RP might prevent overloading of the temporomandibular joints and anterior teeth...
- Masticatory muscle activity during maximum voluntary clench in different research diagnostic criteria for temporomandibular disorders (RDC/TMD) groupsGianluca M Tartaglia
Functional Anatomy Research Center FARC, Laboratorio di Anatomia Funzionale dell Apparato Stomatognatico LAFAS, Dipartimento di Morfologia Umana, Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Universita degli Studi, Via Mangiagalli 31, I 20133 Milano, Italy
Man Ther 13:434-40. 2008..05). Surface electromyography of the masticatory muscles allowed an objective discrimination among different RDC/TMD subgroups...
- An electromyographic investigation of masticatory muscles symmetry in normo-occlusion subjectsV F Ferrario
Functional Anatomy Research Center FARC, Laboratorio di Anatomia Funzionale dell Apparato Stomatognatico LAFAS, Istituto di Anatomia Umana Normale, Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Universita degli Studi, Milano, Italy
J Oral Rehabil 27:33-40. 2000..e. conditions where an apparent good morphological situation is not related to a correct neuromuscular status...
- Electromyographic study of stomatognathic system muscles during chewing of different materialsD Ap Biasotto-Gonzalez
July Nine University UNINOVE, Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Electromyogr Clin Neurophysiol 50:121-7. 2010....
- Prevalence of temporomandibular disorder subtypes, psychologic distress, and psychosocial dysfunction in Asian patientsAdrian U J Yap
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, National University of Singapore, 5 Lower Kent Ridge Road, Singapore 119074, Republic of Singapore
J Orofac Pain 17:21-8. 2003..The RDC/TMD Axis I and II findings were compared to those of Swedish and American TMD patients...
- Effects of transcutaneous electrical nervous stimulation on electromyographic and kinesiographic activity of patients with temporomandibular disorders: a placebo-controlled studyAnnalisa Monaco
University of L Aquila, Department of Health Sciences, L Aquila, Italy
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 22:463-8. 2012..Significant differences were only observed in the TENS group, for masticatory muscles of both sides; one-way analysis of variance revealed that sEMG values of masticatory muscles of both sides ..
- MRI findings in patients with severe trismus following radiotherapy for nasopharyngeal carcinomaKunwar S S Bhatia
Department of Diagnostic Radiology and Organ Imaging, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong, S A R, China
Eur Radiol 19:2586-93. 2009..This study advances the understanding of mechanisms behind this debilitating side effect of radiotherapy...
- Associations between pain and neuromuscular activity in the human jaw and neck musclesPeter Svensson
Center for Sensory Motor Interaction, Orofacial Pain Laboratory, Aalborg University, DK 9220 Aalborg, Denmark
Pain 109:225-32. 2004..In conclusion, experimental neck pain is not associated with tonic increases in jaw EMG activity although jaw muscle pain can be linked to increases in neck EMG activity with the head and jaw at rest...
- Clenching TMJs-loads increases in partial edentates: a 3D finite element studyAmaya Pérez del Palomar
Group of Structural Mechanics and Materials Modelling, Aragon Institute of Engineering Research I3A, University of Zaragoza, Maria de Luna, 3, E 50018 Zaragoza, Spain
Ann Biomed Eng 36:1014-23. 2008..This study tests the hypothesis of loading-dependence on the temporomandibular joint during clenching on the particular of experimentally partial edentate conditions...
- Surface EMG of jaw elevator muscles: effect of electrode location and inter-electrode distanceT Castroflorio
Specialization School of Orthodontics, Department of Biomedical Sciences and Human Oncology, Universita di Torino, Torino, Italy
J Oral Rehabil 32:411-7. 2005..Finally, spectral and, in particular, amplitude EMG variables were very sensitive to inter-electrode distance, which thus should be fixed when subjects or muscles are compared in the same or different experimental conditions...
- Symptoms of temporomandibular disorders in the population: an epidemiological studyDaniela Aparecida de Godoi Gonçalves
Department of Dental Materials and Prosthodontics, Araraquara Dental School, Sao Paulo State University, Araraquara SP, Brazil
J Orofac Pain 24:270-8. 2010..To estimate the prevalence of symptoms of temporomandibular disorders (TMD) as a function of age and gender, in a representative urban sample from the Brazilian population...
- Classification, causation and treatment of masticatory myogenous pain and dysfunctionGlenn T Clark
Department of Diagnostic Sciences, University of Southern California, School of Dentistry, 925 West 34th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90089 0641, USA
Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am 20:145-57, v. 2008This article focuses on chronic myogenous pains affecting the masticatory muscles, including focal myalgia, regional myalgia, myofascial pain, and fibromyalgia...
- Myositis ossificans traumatica of the masticatory musclesHitoshi Nemoto
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Fujigaoka Hospital, Showa University School of Medicine, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
J Craniofac Surg 23:e514-6. 2012..Involvement of the lateral pterygoid muscle is especially rare...
- Bite force estimation and the fiber architecture of felid masticatory musclesAdam Hartstone-Rose
Department of Biology and Anthropology, Penn State Altoona, Altoona, PA 16601, USA
Anat Rec (Hoboken) 295:1336-51. 2012..This suggests an adaptive signal related to gape...
- Surface electromyography of the masticatory muscles for application in dental practice. Current evidence and future developmentsA Hugger
Poliklinik fur Zahnarztliche Prothetik, Westdeutsche Kieferklinik, Heinrich Heine Universitat Dusseldorf
Int J Comput Dent 11:81-106. 2008..EMG) enables the acquisition of valid and reliable quantitative data on the functional condition of the masticatory muscles as a "neuromuscular functional analysis"...
- Intravoxel incoherent motion imaging of masticatory muscles: pilot study for the assessment of perfusion and diffusion during clenchingMiho Sasaki
1 Department of Radiology and Cancer Biology, Nagasaki University School of Dentistry, 1 7 1 Sakamoto, Nagasaki 852 8588, Japan
AJR Am J Roentgenol 201:1101-7. 2013The purpose of this study was to evaluate intravoxel incoherent motion (IVIM) imaging for assessing perfusion and diffusion of masticatory muscles during clenching.
- Myositis ossificans circumscripta involving bilateral masticatory musclesSuhas S Godhi
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, ITS Centre for Dental Studies and Research, Murad nagar, India
J Craniofac Surg 22:e11-3. 2011..Surgical excision of the ossification is the main treatment modality. This is a case report of a patient who developed MO of the muscles of mastication...
- Anamnestic index severity and signs and symptoms of TMDDébora Bevilaqua-Grossi
Departamento de Biomecanica, Medicina e Reabilitação do, Aparelho Locomotor, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Brazil
Cranio 24:112-8. 2006....
- Disorders of the masticatory musclesScott S De Rossi
Department of Oral Health and Diagnostic Sciences, College of Dental Medicine, Georgia Regents University, 1120 15th Street, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Dent Clin North Am 57:449-64. 2013Muscle disorders involving the masticatory muscles have been considered analogous to skeletal muscle disorders throughout the body...
- The influence of crossbite on the coordinated electromyographic activity of human masticatory muscles during masticationV F Ferrario
Laboratorio di Anatomia Funzionale dell Apparato Stomatognatico, Istituto di Anatomia Umana Normale, Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Universita degli Studi, Milan, Italy
J Oral Rehabil 26:575-81. 1999..The altered occlusal relationship influenced the coordination of the masticatory muscles during chewing on both sides...
- The efficacy of traditional, low-cost and nonsplint therapies for temporomandibular disorder: a randomized controlled trialEdmond Truelove
Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, University of Washington, Seattle, 98195, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 137:1099-107; quiz 1169. 2006..Treatment recommendations for patients with painful temporomandibular disorders (TMDs) range from conservative treatments such as physiotherapy to aggressive and irreversible treatments such as restorative reconstruction and joint surgery...
- Effects of a functional appliance on masticatory muscles of young adults suffering from muscle-related temporomandibular disordersT Castroflorio
Specialisation School of Orthodontics, Department of Biomedical Sciences and Human Oncology, School of Dentistry, Turin University, Turin, Italy
J Oral Rehabil 31:524-9. 2004..A torque index was derived from the surface EMG recordings to estimate lateral displacement of the mandible. The results show that the FGB-D corrects the torque index and thus the lateral displacement of the mandible...
- A case of atrophy of the masticatory muscles due to a masticatory habitYutaka Imauchi
Department of Otolaryngology, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8655, Japan
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 259:551-3. 2002We present a case of atrophy of the masticatory muscles due to a masticatory habit. The patient has had only left side molars for about 40 years...
- Occlusal stabilization appliances. Evidence of their efficacyM Kreiner
Department of General and Oral Physiology, University of Uruguay, School of Dentistry, Montevideo
J Am Dent Assoc 132:770-7. 2001..However, if the behavior continues unabated, even the best splint will not work...
- Mastication-induced modulation of the jaw-opening reflex during different periods of mastication in awake rabbitsRahman Mostafeezur
Division of Oral Physiology, Department of Oral Biological Sciences, Niigata University, Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, 2 5274 Gakkocho dori, Niigata 951 8514, Japan
Brain Res 1254:28-37. 2009..Sensory inputs from both the chewing and non-chewing sides similarly regulate the activity of the jaw-opening muscles...
- Denervation atrophy of the masticatory muscles in a patient with nasopharyngeal cancer: MR examinations before and after radiotherapyY Ariji
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, University School of Dentistry, Nagoya, Japan
Dentomaxillofac Radiol 31:204-8. 2002We report on a patient with denervation atrophy of the masticatory muscles due to nasopharyngeal cancer who received therapeutic irradiation. Magnetic resonance imaging has significantly contributed to aid diagnosis of this pathology...
- Longitudinal evaluation of sEMG of masticatory muscles and kinematics of mandible changes in children treated for unilateral cross-biteConchita Martin
Department of Stomatology IV, School of Dentistry, University Complutense of Madrid, Madrid, Spain
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 22:620-8. 2012..These findings reinforce the advantages of treating children with UPXB and functional shift as early as possible...
- Effects of experimental muscle pain on electromyographic activity of masticatory muscles in the ratJin Y Ro
Department of Oral and Craniofacial Biological Sciences, University of Maryland Baltimore School of Dentistry, 666 West Baltimore Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Muscle Nerve 25:576-84. 2002..of noxious chemical stimulation of a jaw muscle on postural electromyographic (EMG) activity from several masticatory muscles in lightly anesthetized rats...
- Orofacial muscle pain: new advances in concept and therapyAna Cristina Lotaif
Clinical Dentistry Orofacial Pain and Oral Medicine Center, Division of Diagnostic Sciences University of Southern California, School of Dentistry, Los Angeles 90089, USA
J Calif Dent Assoc 34:625-30. 2006This manuscript focuses on chronic myogenous pains affecting the masticatory muscles. The differentiation of myogenous masticatory pain into subcategories is proposed by separating myogenous pains according to their location and anatomic ..
- Controlled study of EMG activity of the jaw closers and openers during mastication in patients with myasthenia gravisA van der Bilt
Department of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, Prosthodontics and Special Dental Care, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur J Oral Sci 109:160-4. 2001..Bulbar myasthenia gravis may impair mastication due to weakness of the masticatory muscles. The aim of the study was to objectively evaluate the influence of myasthenia gravis on mastication...
- Laser acupuncture for myofascial pain of the masticatory muscles. A controlled pilot studyJoannis Katsoulis
Department of Prosthodontics, School of Dental Medicine, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Schweiz Monatsschr Zahnmed 120:213-25. 2010..The purpose of this investigation was to evaluate the effectiveness of laser acupuncture within the scope of a pilot study...
- Bilateral experimental muscle pain changes electromyographic activity of human jaw-closing muscles during masticationP Svensson
Department of Prosthetic Dentistry, Aarhus University, Denmark
Exp Brain Res 116:182-5. 1997....
- Relation between facial morphology on lateral skull radiographs and sEMG activity of head, neck, and trunk muscles in Caucasian adult femalesSimona Tecco
University G D Annunzio, Department of Oral Science, Chieti Pescara, Italy
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 21:298-310. 2011..No certain conclusion, however, was possible on the mechanism concerning these results. Future longitudinal studies are required...
- Clinical and magnetic resonance imaging findings of the temporomandibular joint and masticatory muscles in patients with rheumatoid arthritisHasan Huseyin Yilmaz
Department of Oral Diagnosis and Radiology, Suleyman Demirel University, Faculty of Dentistry, Isparta, Turkey
Rheumatol Int 32:1171-8. 2012..clinical, radiographic, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) findings of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) and masticatory muscles in rheumatoid arthritis (RA) patients...
- EMG spectral characteristics of masticatory muscles and upper trapezius during maximum voluntary teeth clenchingGianluigi Lodetti
Functional Anatomy Research Center FARC, Laboratorio di Anatomia Funzionale dell Apparato Stomatognatico LAFAS, Dipartimento di Morfologia Umana e Scienze Biomediche Città Studi, Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Italy
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 22:103-9. 2012..Reference values may assist in the assessment of patients with alterations in the cranio-cervical-mandibular system...
- [Relationship between occlusion and myoarthropathy. Introduction of an integrating neurobiological model]Jens Christoph Türp
Klinik für Prothetik und Kaufunktionslehre Zentrum für Zahnmedizin, Universität Basel Hebelstrasse 3, CH 4056 Basel
Schweiz Monatsschr Zahnmed 113:964-77. 2003..This model appears to be suitable to explain the pathogenic and therapeutic effects due to occlusal management of patients with myofascial facial pain...
- [The influences upon the passive tensile of the masticatory muscles and ligaments by Herbst appliance under various bite reconstruction--a three dimensional finite element analysis]J Song
College of Stomatology, West China University of Medical Sciences
Hua Xi Kou Qiang Yi Xue Za Zhi 19:43-5. 2001..3). On this model, the passive tensile in the masticatory muscles and ligaments were analyzed under various bit reconstruction designed according to specified advanced ..
- Organisation of common inputs to motoneuron pools of human masticatory musclesShapour Jaberzadeh
Research Centre for Human Movement Control and School of Molecular and Biomedical Science, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
Clin Neurophysiol 117:1931-40. 2006..To determine the pattern of organization of common inputs to the motoneuron pools of individual muscles in the masticatory system...
- Characteristics of masticatory muscles in children with unilateral posterior crossbiteAnnicele da Silva Andrade
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Piracicaba Dental School, University of Campina, Piracicaba, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Braz Oral Res 24:204-10. 2010..These results indicate that in children, UPCB can alter the coordination of masticatory muscles during mastication.
- [Myalgia of the masticatory muscles]H J Schindler
Poliklinik fur Zahnarztliche Prothetik, Universitat Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Deutschland
Schmerz 23:303-11; quiz 312. 2009..Understanding of the underlying neurobiological background of acute and chronic pain may help in therapeutic decision-making and evaluation of the therapeutic effects...
- Effect of conventional TENS on pain and electromyographic activity of masticatory muscles in TMD patientsDelaine Rodrigues
Methodist University of Piracicaba
Braz Oral Res 18:290-5. 2004..are characterized by several signs and symptoms, such as pain and changes in the electrical activity of masticatory muscles. Considering that transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) is a resource indicated to promote ..
- Mammalian masticatory muscles: homology, nomenclature, and diversificationRobert E Druzinsky
Department of Oral Biology, College of Dentistry, University of Illinois at Chicago, USA
Integr Comp Biol 51:224-34. 2011....
- Functional anatomy of incisal biting in Aplodontia rufa and sciuromorph rodents - part 1: masticatory muscles, skull shape and diggingRobert E Druzinsky
Departments of Occupational and Physical Therapy, Governors State University, University Park, Ill 60484, USA r druzinsky govst edu
Cells Tissues Organs 191:510-22. 2010..Protrogomorph rodents are thought to represent the primitive condition of rodent masticatory muscles. Aplodontia rufa, the mountain beaver, is the only living protrogomorphous rodent...
- Mandibular muscle morphology in children with different vertical facial patterns: A 3-dimensional computed tomography studyHong Jin Chan
Department of Orthodontics, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 133:10.e1-13. 2008....
- Maximum occlusal force and medial mandibular flexure in relation to vertical facial pattern: a cross-sectional studyRosemary S Shinkai
Department of Prosthodontics, Pontifical Catholic University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Head Face Med 3:18. 2007Vertical facial pattern may be related to the direction of pull of the masticatory muscles, yet its effect on occlusal force and elastic deformation of the mandible still is unclear...
- Effects of prolonged gum chewing on pain and fatigue in human jaw musclesM Farella
Department of Orthodontics, University of Naples Federico II, Italy
Eur J Oral Sci 109:81-5. 2001..was to investigate the effects of prolonged gum chewing on pain, fatigue and pressure tenderness of the masticatory muscles. Fifteen women without temporomandibular disorders (TMD) were requested to perform one of the following ..
- The immediate effects of atlanto-occipital joint manipulation and suboccipital muscle inhibition technique on active mouth opening and pressure pain sensitivity over latent myofascial trigger points in the masticatory musclesNatalia M Oliveira-Campelo
Escuela de Osteopatía de Madrid, Escola Superior de Tecnología de Saúde, Porto, Portugal
J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 40:310-7. 2010..A randomized controlled trial...
- Spread and referral of experimental pain in different jaw musclesPeter Svensson
Department of Clinical Oral Physiology, Royal Dental College, University of Aarhus, Vennelyst Boulevard 9, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
J Orofac Pain 17:214-23. 2003..To test the hypothesis that there would be no differences in perceived pain intensity and spread and referral of pain evoked by injection of a similar amount of hypertonic saline into 6 different jaw-muscle sites in healthy female subjects...
- Association between rhythmic masticatory muscle activity during sleep and masticatory myofascial pain: a polysomnographic studyLeylha Maria Nunes Rossetti
J Orofac Pain 22:190-200. 2008....
- Fiber-type composition of the human jaw muscles--(part 1) origin and functional significance of fiber-type diversityJ A M Korfage
Department of Functional Anatomy, Academic Center for Dentistry Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 15, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Dent Res 84:774-83. 2005..Generally, the number of slow, fatigue-resistant fibers is relatively large in muscles and muscle regions that are subjected to considerable activity and/or stretch...
- Does the ovarian cycle influence the pressure-pain threshold of the masticatory muscles in symptom-free women?R Cimino
Department of Orthodontics, University of Naples Federico II, Via S Pansini 5, 80131 Naples, Italy
J Orofac Pain 14:105-11. 2000To test the hypothesis that the ovarian cycle influences the pressure-pain threshold of the masticatory muscles.
- Pressure pain threshold in the detection of masticatory myofascial pain: an algometer-based studyRafael dos Santos Silva
Department of Prosthodontics, Bauru School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo, Bauru, Brazil
J Orofac Pain 19:318-24. 2005To compare pressure pain threshold (PPT) values for masticatory muscles in patients with signs and symptoms of myofascial pain and in asymptomatic individuals.
- Activities of masticatory muscles in patients after orthognathic surgeryElena Di Palma
Department of Surgical Sciences, Universita degli Studi di L Aquila, Italy
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 37:417-20. 2009..To evaluate left and right masseter and anterior temporalis muscle activity in patients before and after orthognathic surgery...
- Parafunctional clenching, pain, and effort in temporomandibular disordersAlan G Glaros
Department of Dental Public Health and Behavioral Science, University of Missouri Kansas City, Kansas City, Missouri, USA
J Behav Med 27:91-100. 2004..Parafunctional clenching increases pain and can lead to a diagnosis of TMD in otherwise pain-free individuals. Pain reports are positively correlated with the activity of the masseter muscle...
- Human masticatory muscle activity and jaw position under experimental stressC M Tsai
Craniofacial Centre, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kueishan, Taoyuan, Taiwan
J Oral Rehabil 29:44-51. 2002..whether stress induced a consistent pattern of increased electromyographic (EMG) activity in different masticatory muscles, and whether stress produced changes in jaw position...
- Complex evaluation of pain after tonsillectomyMichael Vaiman
Department of Otolaryngology, Assaf Harofe Medical Center, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Acta Otolaryngol 127:957-65. 2007..sEMG might be used for quantitative evaluation of odynophagia when aggravation or hysteria-conversion reaction is suspected. Tonsillectomy affects muscle activity significantly by involving additional muscles in deglutition...
- Stretch reflexes in the human masticatory muscles: a brief review and a new functional roleT S Miles
Discipline of Physiology, and Research Centre For Human Movement Control, School of Molecular and Biomedical Science, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia 5005, Australia
Hum Mov Sci 23:337-49. 2004..In the hand muscles, the long-latency response is transcortical: in the masticatory muscles, it is not...
- Experimental occlusal interference induces long-term masticatory muscle hyperalgesia in ratsYe Cao
Department of Prosthodontics, Peking University School and Hospital of Stomatology, 22 Zhong Guan Cun South Avenue, Beijing 100081, PR China
Pain 144:287-93. 2009..that the removal at this time could not terminate the 1 month duration of mechanical hyperalgesia in the masticatory muscles. Lastly, we systemically administered NMDA antagonist MK801 (0.2, 0.1, and 0...
- Relationship in hypoplasia between the masticatory muscles and the craniofacial skeleton in hemifacial microsomia, as determined by 3-D CT imagingC E Huisinga-Fischer
Department of Orthodontics, Craniofacial Centre of the University Hospital Rotterdam, Dr Molewaterplein 60, 3015 GJ Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Craniofac Surg 12:31-40. 2001..3-D) computed tomographic (CT) reconstructions, was to evaluate the relation between underdevelopment of masticatory muscles and hypoplasia of the craniofacial skeleton in hemifacial microsomia (HFM)...
- Size and orientation of masticatory muscles in patients with mandibular laterognathismT K Goto
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, Faculty of Dental Science, Kyushu University, 3 1 1, Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka, 812 8582, Japan
J Dent Res 85:552-6. 2006..It is possible that the laterodeviation initiates an adaptive process in the entire jaw system, resulting in extensive atrophy of the jaw muscles...
- Relation between vertical facial morphology and jaw muscle activity in healthy young menGraziano Serrao
Functional Anatomy Research Center FARC, Dipartimento di Anatomia Umana, Facoltà di Medicina e Chirurgia and Facoltà di Scienze Motorie, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Milan, Italy
Prog Orthod 4:45-51. 2003The aim of the current investigation was to quantitatively analyze the relation between the activity of masticatory muscles and the inclination of the mandibular plane in a group of 73 healthy white men aged 20-36 years...
- Chewing ability as a parameter for evaluating the disability of patients with temporomandibular disordersH Kurita
Department of Dentistry and Oral Surgery, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Matsumoto, Japan
J Oral Rehabil 28:463-5. 2001..Age was a background factor but sex was not. The result of this study suggests that SCA correlated with dysfunction of the TMD patients. This method could be used to evaluate the ability of chewing in assessment of TMD...
- Influence of the menstrual cycle on the pressure pain threshold of masticatory muscles in patients with masticatory myofascial painValeria Vignolo
Department of Prosthodontics, Bauru School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo Bauru, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 105:308-15. 2008The aim of this study was to investigate the influence of the menstrual cycle and oral contraceptive (OC) intake on the pressure pain threshold (PPT) of masticatory muscles in patients with masticatory myofascial pain (MFP).
- Mastication-induced modulation of orofacial sensory inputs as seen in the jaw reflex and single neuronal activities in the face primary somatosensory cortex of the rabbitKensuke Yamamura
Division of Oral Physiology, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, 2 5274 Gakko cho Dori, Niigata 951 8514, Japan
Arch Oral Biol 52:329-33. 2007....
- The mandibular muscles and their importance in orthodontics: a contemporary reviewAndrew Pepicelli
Orthodontic Unit, School of Dental Science, University of Melbourne, 711 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne 3000 Victoria, Australia
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 128:774-80. 2005..The potential influence of these muscles on normal morphologic variation in different people is also discussed, along with the implications for contemporary orthodontic treatment and stability...
- Involvement of NK-1 and NK-2 tachykinin receptor mechanisms in jaw muscle activity reflexly evoked by inflammatory irritant application to the rat temporomandibular jointM Bakke
Department of Oral Function and Physiology, School of Dentistry, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Pain 75:219-27. 1998....
- Craniofacial muscle pain: review of mechanisms and clinical manifestationsP Svensson
Center for Sensory Motor Interaction, Aalborg University, Fredrik Bajers Vej 7D 3, DK 9220 Aalborg E, Denmark
J Orofac Pain 15:117-45. 2001..Changes in somatosensory and motor function may therefore be viewed as consequences of pain and not factors leading to pain. Implications for the diagnosis and management of persistent muscle pain are discussed from this perspective...
- Fiber-type composition of the human jaw muscles--(part 2) role of hybrid fibers and factors responsible for inter-individual variationJ A M Korfage
Department of Functional Anatomy, Academic Center for Dentistry Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 15, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Dent Res 84:784-93. 2005..Besides local influences, like the amount of muscle activation and/or stretch, more general influences, like aging and gender, also play a role in the composition of fiber types...
- Maximum bite force, muscle efficiency and mechanical advantage in children with vertical growth patternsPatricia García-Morales
Department of Orthodontics, Baylor College of Dentistry, The Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, Dallas 75246, USA
Eur J Orthod 25:265-72. 2003..These data support the relationships between bite force, muscle strength and morphology in children, similar to those reported for adults...
- Medial mandibular flexure and maximum occlusal force in dentate adultsSimone de Andrade Canabarro
Pontifical Catholic University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Int J Prosthodont 19:177-82. 2006..This study evaluated the association among MMF, maximum occlusal force (MOF), gender, weight, height, body mass index (BMI), and age in 80 dentate adult subjects (40 women, 40 men; age range 20 to 38 years)...
- Identification of c-Fos immunoreactive brainstem neurons activated during fictive mastication in the rabbitT Athanassiadis
Department of Integrative Medical Biology, Section for Physiology, Umea University, 901 87, Umea, Sweden
Exp Brain Res 165:478-89. 2005..Our results provide a detailed anatomical record of neuronal populations that are correlated with the generation of the masticatory motor behavior...
- Muscle pain modulates mastication: an experimental study in humansP Svensson
Center for Sensory Motor Interaction, Aalborg University, Denmark
J Orofac Pain 12:7-16. 1998..Significant changes in jaw movements during painful mastication could not be detected with the present jaw-tracking device, but further studies with more accurate and sensitive devices are needed...
- Effect of a prefabricated anterior bite stop on electromyographic activity of masticatory musclesI Becker
The Pankey Institute for Advanced Dental Education, Key Biscayne, FL 33149, USA
J Prosthet Dent 82:22-6. 1999..A quick, easy method to alleviate these signs and symptoms would be helpful...
- Circadian variation and intermuscular correlation of rabbit jaw muscle activityThorsten Grünheid
Department of Orthodontics, Academic Center for Dentistry Amsterdam, Universiteit van Amsterdam and Vrije Universiteit, Louwesweg 1, 1066 EA Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Brain Res 1062:151-60. 2005....
- The influence of altered occlusal guidance on condylar displacement during submaximal clenchingN Okano
Removable Prosthodontics, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
J Oral Rehabil 32:714-9. 2005....
- Combined finite-element and rigid-body analysis of human jaw joint dynamicsJ H Koolstra
Department of Functional Anatomy, Academic Centre for Dentistry Amsterdam, Universiteit van Amsterdam and Vrije Universiteit, Meibergdreef 15, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Biomech 38:2431-9. 2005..The results suggest that the articular disc enables distribution of local contact stresses over a much wider area of the very incongruent articular surfaces by transforming compressive principal stress into shear stress...
- Effects of sagittal split ramus osteotomy on temporomandibular disorders in seventy-two patientsRiitta Pahkala
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Diseases, Kuopio University Hospital, PO Box 1777, 70211 Kuopio, Finland
Acta Odontol Scand 62:238-44. 2004..The results suggest that in patients with severe maxillomandibular discrepancy surgical-orthodontic therapy is a good choice of treatment for reducing myogenous TMD pain and discomfort...
- Symptoms and signs of temporomandibular disorders in individuals with chronic whiplash-associated disordersLuciano Klobas
Department of Surgical Sciences, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Uppsala University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Swed Dent J 28:29-36. 2004..The results indicate that trauma to the neck also affects temporomandibular function...
- Endurance during chewing in whiplash-associated disorders and TMDB Häggman-Henrikson
Department of Odontology, Clinical Oral Physiology, Umea University, S 901 87 Umea, Sweden
J Dent Res 83:946-50. 2004..From the results, we propose that routine examination of WAD patients should include jaw function and that an endurance test as described in this study could also be a useful tool for non-dental professionals...
- Individual variations in numerically modeled human muscle and temporomandibular joint forces during static bitingLaura R Iwasaki
Department of Growth and Development, Orthodontic Section, University of Nebraska Medical Center, College of Dentistry, Lincoln, NE 68583 0755, USA
J Orofac Pain 18:235-45. 2004..To test the effects of occlusal force (OF) angle on the variations in predicted muscle and temporomandibular joint (TMJ) forces during unilateral molar bites...
- Daily activity of the rabbit jaw muscles during early postnatal developmentT van Wessel
Department of Functional Anatomy, Academic Centre for Dentistry Amsterdam, Universiteit van Amsterdam and Vrije Universiteit, Meibergdreef 15, 1105 AZ, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neuroscience 140:137-46. 2006..This amount of activation seems to be related to the number of slow-type fibers...
- Jaw stretch reflexes in childrenDonald S Finan
Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences and the Center for Neuroscience, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
Exp Brain Res 164:58-66. 2005..These data and earlier experiments suggest that oral sensorimotor pathways mature throughout childhood in concert with the continued acquisition of complex motor skills...
- Surface electromyographic response of the neck muscles to maximal voluntary clenching of the teethF Ciuffolo
Section of Orthodontic and Gnathology, Department of Oral Science, University G d Annunzio of Chieti, Via dei Vestini, 5 66013 Chieti, Italy
J Oral Rehabil 32:79-84. 2005..If confirmed by further research, our findings suggesting an involvement of anterior neck muscles during isometric contraction of the jaw elevator muscles may have clinical implications...
- Jaw movement alters the reaction of human jaw muscles to incisor stimulationRussell S A Brinkworth
Research Centre for Human Movement Control, Discipline of Physiology, School of Molecular and Biomedical Science, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA, 5005, Australia
Exp Brain Res 164:165-76. 2005..This study is a prerequisite for investigations into the modulation of reflexes during jaw movement, because a response to a stimulus commencing after the minimum reaction time may not be entirely reflex in origin...
- Chewing cycle analysis-a new clinical toolPietro Bracco
Department of Orthodontics and Gnathology, University of Torino, Italy
Int J Orthod Milwaukee 16:9-19. 2005
- The masticatory system--an overviewUna Soboleva
Department of Prosthodontics, Institute of Stomatology, 20 Dzirciema str, Riga LV 1007, Latvia
Stomatologija 7:77-80. 2005..The action of masticatory muscles during chewing varies between subjects in amplitude, onset timing, and duration of the chewing cycle...
- Masticatory motor patterns in ungulates: a quantitative assessment of jaw-muscle coordination in goats, alpacas and horsesSusan H Williams
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Athens, OH 45701, USA
J Exp Zool A Ecol Genet Physiol 307:226-40. 2007..This study highlights interspecific differences in the coordination of jaw muscles to influence transverse jaw movements and the production of bite force in herbivorous ungulates...
- Evaluation of temporomandibular joint in stress-free patientsJov Filho
Oral Radiology, University of Fortaleza, Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil
Dentomaxillofac Radiol 36:336-40. 2007..Many studies have evaluated the importance of stress in TMD; however, only patients with TMD and stress have been assessed. This study aimed at evaluating signs and symptoms of TMD in stress-free patients...
- Jaw clenching: muscle and joint forces, optimization strategiesH J Schindler
Research Group Biomechanics, Faculty for Mathematics, University of Karlsruhe, D 76128, Karlsruhe, Germany
J Dent Res 86:843-7. 2007..To determine which clenching directions load masticatory muscles and temporomandibular joints most heavily, we investigated muscle and joint forces based on feedback-..
- Influence of unilateral disc displacement on the stress response of the temporomandibular joint discs during opening and masticationA Pérez del Palomar
Group of Structural Mechanics and Materials Modeling GEMM, Aragon Institute of Engineering Research I3A, University of Zaragoza, Spain
J Anat 211:453-63. 2007..Finally, the presence of a unilateral displacement of the disc involved a strong change in the overall behaviour of the joint including also the healthy side, where the maximum stresses moved to the posterior part...
- Asymmetric muscle function in patients with developmental mandibular asymmetryY Dong
Department of Oral Prosthodontics, College of Medicine, Second Affiliated Hospital, Zhe Jiang University, Hang Zhou, China
J Oral Rehabil 35:27-36. 2008..Further studies, where EMG recordings are made from the DMA patients at early stages are motivated to verify activity sources and test if the asymmetric activity is associated with muscle and joint pain in the jaw and cervical areas...
- Experimental jaw-muscle pain has a differential effect on different jaw movement tasksDaraporn Sae-Lee
Jaw Function and Orofacial Pain Research Unit, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Sydney, Westmead Hospital Centre for Oral Health, Westmead, Australia
J Orofac Pain 22:15-29. 2008..To determine the effects of experimental jaw-muscle pain on jaw movements...
- Characterization of food physical properties by the mastication parameters measured by electromyography of the jaw-closing muscles and mandibular kinematics in young adultsKaoru Kohyama
National Food Research Institute, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 72:1690-5. 2008..The masticatory parameters did not correlate with the physical properties of food measured for small deformation...
- [Adaptation of mastication in response to the characteristics of the individual or the food]M A Peyron
Faculte de Chirurgie Dentaire, Clemont Ferrand
Orthod Fr 77:417-30. 2006..And, of course, the texture of the foodstuff plays a part; the harder it is the greater the number of cycles will be...
- Oral health-related quality of life in patients with temporomandibular disordersMike T John
Department of Prosthodontics and Materials Science, University of Leipzig, Germany
J Orofac Pain 21:46-54. 2007..To characterize the level of impairment of oral health-related quality of life (OHRQoL) in a temporomandibular disorder (TMD) patient population...
- Jaw-neck dysfunction in whiplash-associated disordersPer Olof Eriksson
Muscle and Motor Control and MotoRehab Laboratory, Clinical Oral Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Arch Oral Biol 52:404-8. 2007..We also show preliminary results from implementation of a new approach for rehabilitation of jaw-neck dysfunction and pain in WAD...
- Inter-examiner reliability in the clinical examination of temporomandibular disorders: influence of ageAlexander J Hassel
Poliklinik fur Zahnarztliche Prothetik, Heidelberg, Germany
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 34:41-6. 2006..The aim of this study was to investigate the influence of the age of the subject on inter-examiner reliability of the clinical signs of temporomandibular disorder (TMD)...
- Jaw motor inputs originating from osseointegrated oral implantsD van Steenberghe
Laboratory of Oral Physiology, Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Medicine, Catholic University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Oral Rehabil 33:274-81. 2006..At the clinical level the changes in neuromuscular reflexes do not lead to significant problems...
- The influence of occlusion on jaw and neck muscle activity: a surface EMG study in healthy young adultsV F Ferrario
Functional Anatomy Research Center FARC, Laboratorio di Anatomia Funzionale dell Apparato Stomatognatico LAFAS, Dipartimento di Morfologia Umana, Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Universita degli Studi, Milano, Italy
J Oral Rehabil 33:341-8. 2006..Subjects with a 'complete' Angle Class I were somewhat a more homogenous group than subjects with 'partial' Angle Class I...
- Randomized controlled clinical trial of botulinum toxin for myofascial TMJD painKaren G Raphael; Fiscal Year: 2012..Were it shown to be safe and effective when injected into the masticatory muscles, it could prove invaluable to the many TMJD patients who do not respond to existing treatment modalities...
- PAIN MODULATED JAW MOTOR FUNCTIONChristian Stohler; Fiscal Year: 1999..Therefore, it is hypothesized that pain, irrespective of its origin (masticatory muscles, neck muscles, intraoral mucosa, facial skin) causes significant changes in mandibular function...
- Sex-Differences in Peripheral Opioid Receptor MechanismsJin Y Ro; Fiscal Year: 2012..These studies bear high clinical significance since the pain and management involving masticatory muscles and TMJ, such as in TMJMD, are sexually dimorphic, and since there is increasing clinical as well as pre-..
- NEUROENDOCRINOLOGY OF MASTICATORY MUSCLE DISORDERSElizabeth Young; Fiscal Year: 2000DESCRIPTION: The temporomandibular disorders (TMDs) are a complex group of conditions involving masticatory muscles and/or temporomandibular joints and characterized by chronic facial pain...
- INFLAMMATORY MEDIATORS IN MASTICATORY MUSCLESGRACE PAVLATH; Fiscal Year: 1999..Temporomandibular disorders (TMDs) are characterized by chronic muscle tenderness and pain in the masticatory muscles and/or temporomandibular joints. The disease disproportionately affects women...
- FUNCTIONAL EFFECTS OF MASTICATORY MUSCLE ALTERATIONPaul Dechow; Fiscal Year: 1992..clinical or traumatic alterations of the muscles of mastication modify (1) the intrinsic properties of the masticatory muscles themselves and (2) the overall morphology and function of the craniofacial region...
- MOLECULAR SPECIALIZATION OF MASTICATORY MUSCLESJeffrey Miller; Fiscal Year: 1999b>Masticatory muscles develop specialized molecular and physiological properties that are required for their proper function. This specialization can be altered by pathology, including some types of temporomandibular disorders...
- PARAFUNCTIONAL ACTIVITY AND TEMPOROMANDIBULAR DISORDERSAlan Glaros; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Tongue Volume, Function and BiomechanicsZi Jun Liu; Fiscal Year: 2006..Application of this information will allow understanding of normal tongue functional morphology and to evaluate how tongue volume affects function and craniofacial growth. ..
- Proteoglycan degradation and functional recovery after peripheral nerve injuryARTHUR ENGLISH; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposal seeks to evaluate a technology for medical treatment of peripheral nerve injuries which, if successful, could have an important impact on a relatively large group of under-treated patients. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- REGULATION OF MASTICATORY MUSCLE FIBER PHENOTYPEARTHUR ENGLISH; Fiscal Year: 2002..The new knowledge generated will impact significantly several areas of clinical dentistry. ..
- ONTOGENY OF METABOLIC CONTROLS OF INGESTIVE BEHAVIORSUSAN SWITHERS; Fiscal Year: 2002..Finally, the neural mechanisms involved in translating physiological changes related to energy utilization into increases in ingestive behavior are tested. ..
- Realtime Internet Evaluation of Oropharyngeal SwallowingADRIENNE PERLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..Confirmation of the reliability of the telefluoroscopic evaluation can result in equity of access for underserved groups for whom SLPs with expertise in dysphagia diagnosis are locally unavailable. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Molecular Foundations of the Myoclonus-Dystonia SyndromeMark leDoux; Fiscal Year: 2006..We hypothesize that epsilon sarcoglycan co-localizes with GABA receptors opposite GABAergic terminals in the central nervous system. ..
- BIOBEHAVIORAL ETIOLOGY OF CHRONIC TEMPOROMANDIBULARJames Fricton; Fiscal Year: 2001..Questionnaires will include RDC/TMD axis I and II, coping strategies questionnaire, a self report fibromyalgia screening form, and IMPATH. ..
- Effects of Swallowing Therapy in Head and Neck CancerJerilyn Logemann; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- PERIPHERAL NMDA RECEPTORS AND TMD PAIN MECHANISMSBarry Sessle; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Central mechanisms of chronic trigeminal painGEOFFREY GERSTNER; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- NERVE-MUSCLE INTERACTIONS DURING JAW MUSCLE DEVELOPMENTCHARLES WIDMER; Fiscal Year: 2002..Although valuable clues as to the role of nerve-muscle interactions in the development and maintenance of masticatory muscles can be gleaned from studies of limb muscle, the result of limb studies may not be totally applicable...
- Oropharyngeal Function After Radiotherapy with IMRTJerilyn A Logemann; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project attempts to quantify the swallow problems associated with this specific treatment and the effects of interventions for these swallow problems. ..
- INTELLIGIBILITY ASSESSMENT IN DYSARTHRIARaymond Kent; Fiscal Year: 2005..The data on dysarthria will be integrated with data on speech development and normal adult speech in a neural network model of speech production that is based on internal models of auditory and articulatory representations of speech. ..
- Acute and Chronic Microdialysis in the Gustatory SystemJOSEPH TRAVERS; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- NEURAL BASIS OF TASTE ELICITED INGESTION AND REJECTIONJOSEPH TRAVERS; Fiscal Year: 2009..Understanding the neurological basis of the fundamental biological decision ingest or reject food will contribute to the eventual solution of these chronic debilitating disorders. ..
- COORDINATION OF RESPIRATION AND DEGLUTITIONADRIENNE PERLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2003..Findings from this research can have a profound effect on patient evaluation procedures as well as on behavioral management techniques, clinical outcome goals, and medical costs for stroke patients. ..
- NEUROMUSCULAR STRATEGIES FOR HUMAN TONGUE MOVEMENTALAN SOKOLOFF; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will provide important information on the neurobiology of the tongue motor system and will provide the first direct tests of the molecular and physiological bases of aging of the human tongue motor system. ..
- Mutant Gene Identification in the Dystonic RatMark leDoux; Fiscal Year: 2008..Patients with dystonia will be screened for mutations in the human homologue. These proposed studies will likely increase our understanding of both dystonia and olivocerebellar motor systems. ..
- BONE GROWTH, PERIOSTEAL MIGRATION AND MUSCLE FUNCTIONSusan Herring; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Root deformation and root resorptionThomas Katona; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- TETRAHYDROISOQUINOLINES AND PARKINSON'S DISEASEMark leDoux; Fiscal Year: 2006..Evolution may have not provided neurons with mechanisms to prevent accumulation of these by-products of normal metabolism and, as a consequence, susceptible neuronal populations may slowly undergo apoptotic death in the elderly. ..
- EYELID SENSORIMOTOR NETWORKSMark leDoux; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- MECHANICAL ENVIRONMENT IN MANDIBULAR DISTRACTIONSusan Herring; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Brainstem Mechanisms of Craniofacial Muscle PainJIN RO; Fiscal Year: 2006..I propose that noxious inputs from masticatory muscles are distributed throughout the entire Vsp...
- Effects of LSVT on Dysphagia in Parkinson's DiseaseJerilyn Logemann; Fiscal Year: 2003..This application proposes to generate pilot data on the effects of LSVT on aspiration, a potentially dangerous and costly side effect of dysphagia in Parkinson's disease. ..