- Fatty acid status determination by cheek cell sampling combined with methanol-based ultrasound extraction of glycerophospholipids
Division of Metabolic and Nutritional Medicine, Dr von Hauner Children s Hospital, University of Munich Medical Center, Lindwurmstr 4, 80337, Munich, Germany
Lipids 46:981-90. 2011
..We developed a sensitive method for the analysis of fatty acids in cheek cell glycerophospholipids, which includes significant improvements of cell sampling, non-chromatographic isolation ..
- Serum, cheek cell and breast milk fatty acid compositions in infants with atopic and non-atopic eczema
Department of Paediatrics, Turku University Central Hospital, Turku, Finland
Clin Exp Allergy 36:166-73. 2006
..The major theory implicating diet with allergic diseases is associated with altered food consumption and subsequent changes in fatty acid composition...
- The fatty acid profile of buccal cheek cell phospholipids is a noninvasive marker of long-chain polyunsaturated Fatty Acid status in piglets
U S Department of Agriculture ARS Children s Nutrition Research Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030 2600, USA
J Nutr 132:2319-23. 2002
The fatty acid pattern of cheek cell phospholipids has been proposed as a noninvasive marker of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) status...
- Novel methodologies for assessing omega-3 fatty acid status - a systematic review
University of Munich Medical Center, Dr von Hauner Children s Hospital, Div Metabolic and Nutritional Medicine, Munchen, Germany
Br J Nutr 107:S53-63. 2012
..New opportunities arise from sensitive and precise high-throughput methodologies for assessment of plasma total lipid and plasma glycerophospholipid fatty acids, as well as cheek cell fatty acid composition.
- Comparison of the incorporation of orally administered DHA into plasma, erythrocyte and cheek cell glycerophospholipids
Division of Metabolic and Nutritional Medicine, University of Munich Medical Center, Dr von Hauner Children s Hospital, Lindwurmstrasse 4, 80337 Munich, Germany
Br J Nutr 109:962-8. 2013
..The analysis of various blood lipids is used as a measure of fatty acid status in humans. Cheek cell phospholipids (PL) have also been proposed as biological markers, but are rarely used in clinical studies due ..
- Fatty acid profile of buccal cheek cell phospholipids as an index for dietary intake of docosahexaenoic acid in preterm infants
D R Hoffman
Retina Foundation of the Southwest, Dallas, Texas 75231, USA
Lipids 34:337-42. 1999
b>Cheek cells (buccal epithelia) were utilized as a noninvasive index of fatty acid status in a study of the effects of n-3 long chain polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation on visual function in preterm infants...
- Leukocyte adhesion after oxidant challenge in the hamster cheek pouch microcirculation
Laboratório de Pesquisas em Microcirculação, Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Vasc Res 36:11-4. 1999
..inhibits oxidant-induced increase in macromolecular permeability in the postcapillary venules of the hamster cheek pouch microcirculation...
- Use of neoadjuvant electrochemotherapy to treat a large metastatic lesion of the cheek in a patient with melanoma
Department of Surgery, National Cancer Institute, Via Mariano Semmola, Naples, Italy
J Transl Med 10:131. 2012
..ECT has been used in palliative management of metastatic melanoma to improve patients' quality of life. This is, to our knowledge, the first application of ECT as neoadjuvant treatment of metastatic subcutaneous melanoma...
- Ex vivo optical metabolic measurements from cultured tissue reflect in vivo tissue status
Alex J Walsh
Vanderbilt University, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Station B, Box 1631, Nashville, Tennessee 37235, USA
J Biomed Opt 17:116015. 2012
..NADH and FAD fluorescence intensity and lifetime images were acquired with a two-photon microscope from hamster cheek pouch epithelia in vivo, from biopsies maintained in live tissue culture up to 48 h, and from flash-frozen and ..
- Photodynamic therapy of early squamous cell carcinoma with tetra(m-hydroxyphenyl)chlorin: optimal drug-light interval
S Andrejevic Blant
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery CHUV Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
Br J Cancer 76:1021-8. 1997
..A Syrian hamster cheek pouch tumour model was used in these experiments...
- Increased microvascular permeability in the hamster cheek pouch induced by oxidized low density lipoprotein (oxLDL) and some fragmented apolipoprotein B proteins
Laboratório de Imunologia Molecular, Instituto Biofísica Carlos Chagas Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro
Inflamm Res 52:215-20. 2003
Oxidized low-density lipoproteins (oxLDL) and protein fractions obtained by size exclusion chromatography of oxLDL were tested for vascular permeability effects on topical application to the hamster cheek pouch.
- The neem limonoids azadirachtin and nimbolide inhibit hamster cheek pouch carcinogenesis by modulating xenobiotic-metabolizing enzymes, DNA damage, antioxidants, invasion and angiogenesis
Ramamurthi Vidya Priyadarsini
Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar 608 002, Tamil Nadu, India
Free Radic Res 43:492-504. 2009
..On a comparative basis, nimbolide was found to be a more potent antioxidant and chemopreventive agent and offers promise as a candidate agent in multitargeted prevention and treatment of cancer...
- The supernumerary cheek tooth in tabby/EDA mice-a reminiscence of the premolar in mouse ancestors
Department of Teratology, Institute of Experimental Medicine, Academy of Sciences CR, Videnska 1083, 14220 Prague, Czech Republic
Arch Oral Biol 50:219-25. 2005
A supernumerary cheek tooth occurs mesially to the first molar in tabby/EDA (Ta) mice affected by hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia...
- Intermittent hypoxia modulates nitric oxide-dependent vasodilation and capillary perfusion during ischemia-reperfusion-induced damage
University of Pisa, Via Trieste 41, 56100 Pisa, Italy
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 294:H1914-22. 2008
..Studies were made in the hamster cheek pouch microcirculation (intravital fluorescence microscopy)...
- Homocellular conduction along endothelium and smooth muscle of arterioles in hamster cheek pouch: unmasking an NO wave
The John B Pierce Laboratory, Yale University School of Medicine, 290 Congress Ave, New Haven, Conn 06519 1403, USA
Circ Res 93:61-8. 2003
..homocellular (endothelium or smooth muscle) and heterocellular (myoendothelial) conduction pathways along hamster cheek pouch arterioles in vivo (n=64; diameter, 33+/-1 microm)...
- Histotopographic study of the fibroadipose connective cheek system
Section of Anatomy, Department of Human Anatomy and Physiology, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Cells Tissues Organs 191:47-56. 2010
..Changes in the quantitative and qualitative characteristics of the fibroadipose connective system, reducing its viscoelastic properties, may contribute to ptosis of facial soft tissues during aging...
- Potential role of mast cells in hamster cheek pouch carcinogenesis
Romina F Aromando
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Buenos Aires, Marcelo T de Alvear 2142, C1122AAH, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Oral Oncol 44:1080-7. 2008
..Chemical cancerization (DMBA) of the hamster cheek pouch is the most accepted model of oral cancer...
- A novel technique for cheek mucosa defect reconstruction using a pedicled buccal fat pad and buccinator myomucosal island flap
Maxillo Facial Surgery Division, Head and Neck Department, University and Hospital of Parma, Via Gramsci 14, 43100 Parma, Italy
Oral Oncol 45:59-62. 2009
Reconstruction of cheek mucosa defects following tumor resections can be approached with several techniques, depending on size of the defect. Fasciocutaneous and perforators free flaps are widely employed today for such reconstructions...
- Reconstruction of the cheek
F J Menick
Plast Reconstr Surg 108:496-505. 2001
After studying this article, the participant should be able to: 1. Describe the cheek unit and its specific requirements for quality, outline, and contour. 2...
- Chemoprevention of 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene (DMBA)-induced oral carcinogenesis in hamster cheek pouch by topical application of resveratrol complexed with 2-hydroxypropyl-beta-cyclodextrin
Giovanni Nicolao Berta
Department of Clinical and Biological Sciences, University of Turin, I 10043 Orbassano
Oral Oncol 46:42-8. 2010
..In summary, our study demonstrates that RV is effective in the chemoprevention of DMBA-induced oral carcinogenesis and when it is complexed with HPbetaCDs its efficacy is significantly improved...
- Endothelin-1 induces itch and pain in the mouse cheek model
Lenyta Oliveira Gomes
Department of Pharmacology, Center of Biological Sciences, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Florianopolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil
Life Sci 91:628-33. 2012
..This study reexamines these sensory effects of ET-1 in the new mouse cheek model, in which pruritogens and algogens evoke distinct behavioral responses.
- Probable biofilm formation in the cheek as a complication of soft tissue filler resulting from improper endodontic treatment of tooth 16
Academy of Face Sculpturing, Medical University of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland
Int J Nanomedicine 7:1441-7. 2012
..Here we report the case of a 37-year-old female patient who returned to our clinic with an abscess in her left cheek 3 months after a deep injection of 1 mL of stabilized hyaluronic acid in both cheeks...
- Scaling and adaptations of incisors and cheek teeth in caviomorph rodents (Rodentia, Hystricognathi)
Departamento de Biologia, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales FCEyN, Universidad Nacional de Mar del Plata UNMdP, Mar del Plata, Argentina
J Morphol 273:1150-62. 2012
- Evaluation of a calcium hydroxylapatite-based implant (Radiesse) for facial soft-tissue augmentation
David A Jansen
Section of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, Tulane University, New Orleans, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 118:22S-30S, discussion 31S-33S. 2006
..The authors sought to evaluate the long-term clinical efficacy and safety of a calcium hydroxylapatite-based filler (Radiesse) for facial soft-tissue augmentation...
- Keloid heterograft in the hamster (Mesocricetus auratus) cheek pouch, Brazil
Department of Surgery UNIFESP EPM
Acta Cir Bras 20:200-12. 2005
To study the integration of keloid heterograft in hamster (Mesocricetus auratus) cheek pouch.
- The association of fatty acid deficiency symptoms (FADS) with actual essential fatty acid status in cheek cells
The Dyscovery Centre, Allt yr yn Campus, University of Wales, Newport NP20 5DA, UK
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 83:1-8. 2010
..Using FADS as a marker of PUFA deficiency may not be appropriate especially when assessing typically developing children...
- Selectivity of the photosensitiser Tookad for photodynamic therapy evaluated in the Syrian golden hamster cheek pouch tumour model
Institute of Environmental Engineering, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology EPFL, CH 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Br J Cancer 89:2320-6. 2003
The response to photodynamic therapy (PDT) with the photosensitiser (PS) Tookad was measured in the Syrian hamster cheek pouch model on normal mucosae and chemically induced squamous cell carcinoma...
- Non-infiltrating angiolipoma of the cheek: a case report and review of the literature
Hasan Ayberk Altug
Turkish Military Academy, Dental Service, Cankaya, Ankara, Turkey
J Oral Sci 51:137-9. 2009
..The authors present the clinical and histological features of a non-infiltrating angiolipoma excised from the cheek of a 22-year old man...
- Repair of buccal defects with anterolateral thigh flaps
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, E Da Hospital I Shou University, Kaohsiung County, Taiwan, Republic of China
Microsurgery 26:182-9. 2006
- Anchored flaps in post-Mohs reconstruction of the lower eyelid, cheek, and lateral canthus: avoiding eyelid distortion
Gerald J Harris
Section of Orbital and Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery, Department of Ophthalmology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, U S A
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 19:5-13. 2003
..Large flaps are anchored to fixed tissue to avoid transmitting flap tension to the eyelids...
- Reconstruction of the lower eye lid with a rotation-advancement tarsoconjunctival cheek flap
William Louis Fick Wessels
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Stellenbosch, Western Cape, South Africa
J Craniofac Surg 21:1786-9. 2010
..A rotation-advancement tarsoconjunctival cheek flap, which reconstructs both posterior and anterior lamellae with vascularized tissue similar to the native ..
- Reconstruction of concomitant lip and cheek through-and-through defects with combined free flap and an advancement flap from the remaining lip
Seng Feng Jeng
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital at Kaohsiung, Chang Gung University, Niao Sung Hsiang, Kaohsiung Hsien, Taiwan
Plast Reconstr Surg 113:491-8. 2004
..b>Cheek defects ranged from 15 x 12 cm to 4 x 3 cm, and intraoral defects ranged from 14 x 8 cm to 5 x 4 cm in size...
- Evaluation of the photosensitizer Tookad for photodynamic therapy on the Syrian golden hamster cheek pouch model: light dose, drug dose and drug-light interval effects
Institute of Environmental Engineering, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology EPFL, CH 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Photochem Photobiol 78:377-83. 2003
..analyzed by staging the macroscopic response and by the histological examination of the sections of the irradiated cheek pouch...
- E. coli lipopolysaccharide attenuates adenosine A(1) receptor-mediated increase in plasma exudation from the hamster cheek pouch
Xiao Pei Gao
Department of Medicine M C 719, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, 840 South Wood Street, Chicago, IL 60612 4325, USA
Inflamm Res 60:195-201. 2011
To determine whether exposure to E. coli lipopolysaccharide (LPS) modulates adenosine A(1) receptor-induced increase in plasma exudation from the intact hamster cheek pouch microcirculation.
- Combined approach for facial contour restoration: treatment of malar and cheek areas during rhytidectomy
Clínica Quirón de Barcelona, Unidad de Cirugía Plástica y Estética, Barcelona, Spain
Plast Reconstr Surg 118:491-7; discussion 498-501. 2006
..define the facial silhouette: the malar contour, with its bone support and superficial structures and, at the cheek level, intimately associated with the mastication system and the facial nerve, the buccal fat pad or Bichat fat pad...
- Lymphangiosarcoma presenting as asymptomatic swelling of the cheek
John G Hancox
J Am Acad Dermatol 56:530-1. 2007
- Functional lower lip reconstruction with bilateral cheek advancement flaps: revisitation of Webster method with a minor modification in the technique
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Leopold Franzens University of Innsbrug, Innsbruck, Austria
Aesthetic Plast Surg 26:423-8. 2002
Major defects of the lower lip have been repaired in many ways. Of these, some employed flaps from the chin, cheek or upper lip. Some of these procedures employed flaps without regard for the facial grooves or landmarks...
- Improved malar projection with transconjunctival hydroxyapatite granules
Kimberly L O'Hara
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:1956-63. 2006
..Augmentation of the zygomatic body enhances appearance and provides a more youthful look. Porous hydroxyapatite granules offer an alternative to alloplastic implants...
- Chondroma of the cheek: A case report
Division of Oral Pathology, Department of Oral Medicine and Surgery, Tohoku University Graduate School of Dentistry, Sendai, Japan
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 34:924-6. 2005
An extremely rare case of soft tissue chondroma occurring in the right cheek of a 47-year-old woman is reported. The localized nodular tumor was encapsulated and composed of hyalinized cartilage with fine calcifications...
- Platysma myocutaneous flap for reconstruction of skin defects in the head and neck
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Queen Alexandra Hospital, Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 46:383-6. 2008
..applications have expanded from the reconstruction of intraoral defects to include laryngo-pharyngeal, lip, and cheek defects. The platysma flap can be superiorly, posteriorly, or inferiorly-based...
- Remote microvascular preconditioning alters specific vasoactive responses
Mary D Frame
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8181, USA
Microcirculation 14:739-51. 2007
..The goal of this study was to further characterize RMP and to investigate the extent to which RMP altered local vasoactive responses...
- Alloplastic contouring for suborbital, maxillary, zygomatic deficiencies
Edward O Terino
Plastic Surgery Institute of Southern California, 327 South Moorpark Road, Thousand Oaks, CA 91361, USA
Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am 16:33-67, v. 2008
..This technique does not require any removal of fat from the orbit nor does it require extensive dissection of fat. This operation successfully and satisfactorily creates an optimum blending of the lid-cheek junction.
- Linear scleroderma "en coup de sabre" of the cheek
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Afyou Kocatepe University, Afyon, Turkey
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 61:1091-4. 2003
- Connexin isoform expression in smooth muscle cells and endothelial cells of hamster cheek pouch arterioles and retractor feed arteries
Chady H Hakim
University of Missouri, Department of Medical Pharmacology and Physiology, Columbia, Missouri 65212, USA
Microcirculation 15:503-14. 2008
- Reconstruction of through-and-through cheek defects involving the oral commissure, using chimeric flaps from the thigh lateral femoral circumflex system
Wei Chao Huang
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and College of Medicine, Chang Gung University, Tao Yuan, Taiwan, Republic of China
Plast Reconstr Surg 109:433-41; discussion 442-3. 2002
Repairing full-thickness cheek defects involving the oral commissure in the head and neck regions after tumor resection is a challenge for reconstructive surgeons. First, they are usually relatively large defects...
- Myofibrosarcoma of subcutaneous soft tissue of the cheek
B P Eyden
Department of Histopathology, Christie Hospital N H S Trust, Manchester, U K
J Submicrosc Cytol Pathol 24:307-13. 1992
..The combination of electron microscopy for detecting the fibronexus junction and immunostaining for fibronectin at the cell periphery is suggested as potentially useful for distinguishing myofibrosarcoma from leiomyosarcoma...
- Anatomic guidelines for augmentation of the cheek and infraorbital hollow
Department of Ophthalmology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Dermatol Surg 38:1223-33. 2012
..Mid-face reflation requires a sophisticated knowledge of bony and soft tissue anatomy...
- Reconstruction of cheek defects: a review of current techniques
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 18:244-54. 2010
The article discusses the fundamental principles of cheek reconstruction and summarizes recently published techniques and reviews in the field.
- "Puffed-cheek" CT improves evaluation of the oral cavity
J L Weissman
Departments of Diagnostic Radiology and Otolaryngology, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR 97201, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 22:741-4. 2001
..The current work investigates "puffed-cheek" CT to improve visualization of oral cavity tumors...
- Detecting precancerous lesions in the hamster cheek pouch using spectroscopic white-light optical coherence tomography to assess nuclear morphology via spectral oscillations
Robert N Graf
Duke University, Department of Biomedical Engineering, 136 Hudson Hall, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA
J Biomed Opt 14:064030. 2009
..tomography (OCT) measurements and applied it to probe nuclear morphology in tissue samples drawn from the hamster cheek pouch carcinogenesis model...
- Severe cheek and lower eyelid lymphedema after resection of oropharyngeal tumor and radiation
Adam T Silverman
University of Illinois Medical Center at Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Craniofac Surg 21:598-601. 2010
..The massive cheek and eyelid lymphedema, which extended from the patient's left lower eyelid to patient's oral commissure measured ..
- Effects of L-NA and sodium nitroprusside on ischemia/reperfusion-induced leukocyte adhesion and macromolecular leakage in hamster cheek pouch venules
Laboratório de Pesquisas em Microcirculação, Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Rua Sao Francisco Xavier 524, Rio de Janeiro, 20550 013, Brazil
Microvasc Res 62:128-35. 2001
..Ischemia was induced by an inflatable silicon rubber cuff mounted around the neck of the cheek pouch prepared for intravital microscopy...
- Extranasopharyngeal angiofibroma of the cheek
Fourth ENT Clinic, Ankara Numune Education and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
J Laryngol Otol 120:141-4. 2006
..Only one case of buccal extranasopharyngeal angiofibroma has been reported to date. We present a case of buccal extranasopharyngeal angiofibroma that was excised completely following embolization and we also review the literature...
- The tear trough and lid/cheek junction: anatomy and implications for surgical correction
Nicholas T Haddock
Institute of Reconstructive Plastic Surgery, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 123:1332-40; discussion 1341-2. 2009
The tear trough and the lid/cheek junction become more visible with age. These landmarks are adjacent, forming in some patients a continuous indentation or groove below the infraorbital rim...
- Biomechanical evaluation of the equine masticatory action: calculation of the masticatory forces occurring on the cheek tooth battery
Institute of Anatomy, University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, Bischofsholer Damm 15, D 30173 Hannover, Germany
J Biomech 42:67-70. 2009
..Due to the limited accessibility of the cheek teeth located farther caudal in the equine oral cavity the measurement of the masticatory forces on these teeth is ..
- Longchain n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and microvascular reactivity: observation in the hamster cheek pouch
Cristiane M S Conde
Laboratório de Pesquisas em Microcirculação, Pavilhão Reitor Haroldo Lisboa da Cunha, terreo, Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Rua Sao Francisco Xavier, 524, 20550 013 Rio de Janeiro RJ, Brazil
Microvasc Res 73:237-47. 2007
Previous experiments in our laboratory, using the hamster cheek pouch microcirculation, have shown that precapillary vessels exhibit spontaneous rhythmic luminal variations, termed vasomotion, a myogenic activity sustained by a balance ..
- Time to turn the other cheek? The influence of left and right poses on perceptions of academic specialisation
Annukka K Lindell
School of Psychological Science, La Trobe University, Australia
Laterality 15:639-50. 2010
The human face expresses emotion asymmetrically. Whereas the left cheek is more emotionally expressive, the right cheek appears more impassive, hence the appropriate cheek to put forward depends on the circumstance...
- Fructose diet and VEGF-induced plasma extravasation in hamster cheek pouch
Département Diabète et Maladies Métaboliques Institut de Recherches Servier, 92150 Suresnes, France
Acta Pharmacol Sin 24:207-11. 2003
To determine in the hamster cheek pouch whether or not the changes in plasma extravasation induced by vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) could be affected by fructose diet.
- Capillary-based fully integrated and automated system for nanoliter polymerase chain reaction analysis directly from cheek cells
Ames Laboratory-US Department of Energy and Department of Chemistry, Iowa State University, 50011, USA
J Chromatogr A 924:271-84. 2001
..and automated system based on capillary fluidics has been developed for nanoliter DNA analysis directly from cheek cells...
- Protective effects of insulin during ischemia-reperfusion injury in hamster cheek pouch microcirculation
Department of Neuroscience, Federico II University Medical School, Naples, Italy
J Vasc Res 42:55-66. 2005
..increase and leukocyte adhesion induced by ischemia-reperfusion injury were investigated in the hamster cheek pouch microcirculation...
- Prospective, open-label, 18-month trial of calcium hydroxylapatite (Radiesse) for facial soft-tissue augmentation in patients with human immunodeficiency virus-associated lipoatrophy: one-year durability
Stacey L Silvers
Chelsea Eye and Cosmetic Surgery Associates, New York, NY 10011, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 118:34S-45S. 2006
..The objective was to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of soft-tissue augmentation of calcium hydroxylapatite (Radiesse) in patients with facial lipoatrophy secondary to human immunodeficiency virus disease...
- Angioleiomyoma: an unusual diagnosis for a lump in the cheek
Department Oral Medicine, King s College London Dental Institute, London, United Kingdom
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 47:641-2. 2009
..Deep dissection to excise the mass completely caused no damage to nerves and there has been no recurrence...
- One-stage reconstruction of a defect of the oral commissure and of the cheek with a radial forearm free flap
From the Maxillofacial Surgery Department, University of Rome, La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Craniofac Surg 19:1508-11. 2008
..In this work, the authors present a clinical report of cheek mucosal carcinoma extended to the omolateral lip commissure, which has required the full thickness removal of the ..
- Extensive necrosis after injection of hyaluronic acid filler: case report and review of the literature
Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 799 Park Ave, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Cosmet Dermatol 10:224-31. 2011
..Dermal fillers temporarily remove the appearance of rhytids and reduce the depth of skin folds. Even with the most experienced of injectors, adverse effects can and do occur ranging from mild bruising to severe injection necrosis...
- The subcutaneous cervicofacial flap revisited
William G Austen
Division of Plastic Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Ann Plast Surg 62:149-53. 2009
..Over a 20-year period, we reviewed all patients who underwent subcutaneous cervicofacial flaps for cheek defects to analyze complications and results...
- Repair of nasal tip and alar defects using cheek-based 2-stage flaps: an alternative to the median forehead flap
Dermatology, Surgery, and Laser Center, Perth Surgicenter, South Perth, Australia
Arch Dermatol 139:1033-6. 2003
To describe our use of cheek-based 2-stage transposition flaps for repairing Mohs surgery defects of the lower third of the nose.
- DNA banking for epidemiologic studies: a review of current practices
Division of Environmental Health Laboratory Sciences, National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341 3724, USA
Epidemiology 13:246-54. 2002
..Each of the specimens discussed is useful for epidemiologic studies according to specific needs, which we enumerate in our conclusions...
- Immunohistochemical detection of matrix metalloproteinase-1 in the periodontal ligament of equine cheek teeth
Institute of Anatomy, University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, Bischofsholer Damm 15, D 30173 Hannover, Germany
Tissue Cell 39:369-76. 2007
The hypsodont equine cheek tooth erupts continuously throughout life. The collagen fibers of the periodontal ligament (PDL) have to remodel constantly to allow the tooth to move in an occlusal direction...
- Hamsters chewing betel quid or areca nut directly show a decrease in body weight and survival rates with concomitant epithelial hyperplasia of cheek pouch
Chun Pin Chiang
Laboratory of Dental Pharmacology and Toxicology, Department of Dentistry, Graduate Institute of Clinical Dental Science, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital and National Taiwan University, No 1 Chang Te Street, Taipei 100
Oral Oncol 40:720-7. 2004
..Hamsters fed with AN for 18 months showed hyperkeratosis in 80% and acanthosis in 50% of cheek pouches...
- Quantitation of DNA in buccal cell samples collected in epidemiological studies
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Biomarkers 11:472-9. 2006
- Spindle-cell lipoma of the cheek: a case report
Dental School, University of Chieti, Chieti, Italy
Oral Oncol 36:495-6. 2000
..5% of all adipocytic tumours. Only nine cases of intraoral SCL were found in the literature. Microscopically, mature adipocytes and spindle cells are immersed in a myxoid stroma. SCL needs only local excision, and it does not recur...
- Rotation and advancement flap of the cheek in the treatment of rare craniofacial clefts
Complexo Hospitalar Santa Casa de Porto Alegre and Universidade Federal de Ciências da Saúde Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
J Craniofac Surg 19:1411-5. 2008
..Aware of that problem, we developed a procedure based on the Van der Meulen rotation and advancement flap of the cheek that may correct the cleft with 1 simple procedure and also respects the aesthetic units of the face...
- Deep plane cervicofacial flap: a useful and versatile technique in head and neck surgery
Swee T Tan
Head and Neck and Skull Base Surgery Oncology Programme, Wellington Regional Plastic, Maxillofacial and Burns Unit, Hutt Hospital, Private Bag 31907, Lower Hutt, New Zealand
Head Neck 28:46-55. 2006
Large oncosurgical defects of the cheek present a challenging reconstructive problem, especially when skin resections are combined with other procedures such as parotidectomy and/or neck dissection.
- Bipaddle pectoralis major myocutaneous flap in reconstructing full thickness defects of cheek: a review of 47 cases
Quazi Ghazwan Ahmad
Plastic, Reconstructive and Microsurgical Services, Tata Memorial Hospital, Parel, Mumbai 400 012, India
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 59:166-73. 2006
We present a series of reconstruction of 47 patients with large full thickness cheek defects secondary to cancer ablative surgery. All patients were reconstructed primarily by bipaddle pectoralis major myocutaneous (PMMC) flap...
- Quality assessment of buccal versus blood genomic DNA using the Affymetrix 500 K GeneChip
Jessica G Woo
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, 321 Albert Sabin Way, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
BMC Genet 8:79. 2007
..We sought to describe the genomic DNA yield and concordance between stored buccal brushes and blood samples from the same individuals in the context of Affymetrix 500 K Human GeneChip genotyping...
- Parallel frequency-domain optical coherence tomography scatter-mode imaging of the hamster cheek pouch using a thermal light source
R N Graf
Department of Biomedical Engineering and the Fitzpatrick Institute for Photonics, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, USA
Opt Lett 33:1285-7. 2008
..frequency-domain optical coherence tomography (FDOCT) system to generate a scatter-mode image of the hamster cheek pouch epithelium...
- Including the platysma muscle in a cervicofacial skin rotation flap to enhance blood supply for reconstruction of vast orbital and cheek defects: anatomical considerations and surgical technique
S G Hakim
Department Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Luebeck, Luebeck, Germany
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 38:1316-9. 2009
..The surgical procedures led to sufficient and successful reconstruction of the orbital and cheek region...
- [Which treatment for the malar bags?]
Service de chirurgie maxillofaciale, plastique et esthétique, centre hospitalier intercommunal R Ballanger, Boulevard Robert Ballanger, Aulnay sous Bois, France
Ann Chir Plast Esthet 54:57-70. 2009
..So the surgeon will be able to choose the most adapted treatment, which is most often a midface sub-periosteal lift associated with a blepharoplasty...
- Contribution of active membrane processes to conducted hyperpolarization in arterioles of hamster cheek pouch
Glenis J Crane
The John B Piercy Laboratory, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Microcirculation 11:425-33. 2004
..The authors tested the hypothesis that the conduction of hyperpolarization involves active membrane processes as the signal travels along the arteriolar wall...
- Increased expression of cyclooxygenase (COX)-2 in DMBA-induced hamster cheek pouch carcinogenesis and chemopreventive effect of a selective COX-2 inhibitor celecoxib
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Hyogo College of Medicine, Mukogawa cho, Nishinomiya, Hyogo, Japan
J Oral Pathol Med 33:614-21. 2004
..In recent years, overexpression of cyclooxygenase (COX)-2 protein and mRNA has been reported in various cancer tissues. Therefore, it has been suggested that COX-2 is related to carcinogenesis...
- Functional reconstruction of complex lip and cheek defect with free composite anterolateral thigh flap and vascularized fascia
Yur Ren Kuo
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Kaohsiung Medical Center, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Head Neck 30:1001-6. 2008
Extensive composite defects involving the lip and cheek present difficult reconstructive challenges...
- Three-dimensional endoscopic midface enhancement: a personal quest for the ideal cheek rejuvenation
Oscar M Ramirez
Plastic Surgery Division of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 109:329-40; discussion 341-9. 2002
..This provides a volumetric cheek augmentation and improvement of the jowl...
- Retinoblastoma presenting with a cheek mass
Department of Ophthalmology, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria
J Natl Med Assoc 97:1553-5. 2005
..of a case of retinoblastoma that mimicked Burkitt's lymphoma by presenting with a left proptosis and a right cheek mass...
- Improvement of neck and cheek laxity with a nonablative radiofrequency device: a lifting experience
Tina S Alster
Washington Institute of Dermatologic Laser Surgery, Georgetown University Medical Center, 2311 M Street NW, Suite 200, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Dermatol Surg 30:503-7; discussion 507. 2004
Laxity of cheek and neck skin is a common cosmetic complaint of patients as they age. Improvement of skin laxity can be difficult to achieve without invasive surgical lifting procedures...
- Donor-site morbidity in buccal mucosa urethroplasty: lower lip or inner cheek?
Department of Urology, Mannheim University Hospital, Mannheim, Germany
BJU Int 96:619-23. 2005
To evaluate donor-site complications of buccal mucosa urethroplasty and whether there is a difference in morbidity between harvesting the mucosa graft from the inner cheek or the lower lip.
- Subcutaneous benign fibrous histiocytoma of the cheek. Case report and review of the literature
C E Skoulakis
Department of Otolaryngology, General Hospital of Volo, Greece
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 27:90-3. 2007
..A 19-year-old male presented with a painless swelling on the right cheek. Detailed clinical and laboratory examinations were performed...
- Increased apoptosis during morphogenesis of the lower cheek teeth in tabby/EDA mice
Department of Teratology, Institute of Experimental Medicine, Academy of Sciences of the CR, Prague, Czech Republic
J Dent Res 84:228-33. 2005
..histological sections and computer-aided 3D reconstructions, we investigated epithelial apoptosis in the lower cheek dentition at embryonic days 14.5-17.5...
- Evaluation of chlorin p6 for photodynamic treatment of squamous cell carcinoma in the hamster cheek pouch model
Biomedical Applications Section, Centre for Advanced Technology, Rajendra Nagar, PO CAT, Indore, MP 452 013, India
Oral Oncol 42:77-82. 2006
We studied pharmacokinetics and tumor response to photodynamic therapy (PDT) using chlorin p6 (CP6) in hamster cheek pouch model. CP6 was administered either intraperitoneally (IP) at a dose of 1...
- Bilateral cheek-to-nose advancement flap: an alternative to the paramedian forehead flap for reconstruction of the nose
Department of General and Visceral Surgery, Augusta Kranken Anstalt, Academic Teaching Hospital of the Ruhr University Bochum, German
Acta Chir Plast 49:67-70. 2007
..The paramedian forehead flap is one commonly used technique. In this study we describe the bilateral cheek-to-nose advancement flap as an alternative to the paramedian forehead flap in patients with strong nasolabial ..
- Apoptosis, proliferation and p12(doc-1) profiles in normal, dysplastic and malignant squamous epithelium of the Syrian hamster cheek pouch model
Division of Oral Pathology, Department of Oral Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Oral Oncol 38:274-80. 2002
- Effects of Spirulina platensis extract on Syrian hamster cheek pouch mucosa painted with 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene
Mohammed E Grawish
Faculty of Dentistry, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
Oral Oncol 44:956-62. 2008
..Consequently, S. platensis is an adjunctive means to inhibit the dysplastic changes occurring in the hamster cheek pouch (HCP) mucosa. However, more research is needed to expand its beneficial action.
- Improvements in cheek volume in lipoatrophic individuals switching away from thymidine nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors
Department of Genitourinary Medicine, Mortimer Market Centre, Camden PCT, off Capper Street, London WC1E 6JB, UK
HIV Med 10:351-5. 2009
..Facial changes cannot be assessed by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) scans. There are limited objective data on the reversibility of facial lipoatrophy...
- New split scar cheek flap in reconstruction of noma sequelae
T S Kühnel
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Regensburg, Franz Josef Strauss Allee 11, D 93042 Regensburg, Germany
Br J Plast Surg 56:528-33. 2003
The use of a split-scar cheek flap is demonstrated for restoration of lining in reconstructing the oral commissure in cases of noma.
- Solitary fibrous tumour of the mouth: report of two cases involving the tongue and cheek
P A Vargas
Department of Oral Pathology, University of Campinas, Dental School, Piracicaba SP, Brazil
Oral Dis 8:111-5. 2002
..Case 1 was a 3 cm nodule on the right cheek. Hypo and hypercellular adjacent areas were mainly patternless, and the stroma was formed by thin collagen fibrils...
- Accurate and anatomic midface filler injection by using cheek implants as an injection template
Dermatol Surg 34:93-5; discussion 96. 2008
- Effects of respiratory timing and cheek support on resistance measurements, before and after bronchodilation in asthmatic children using the interrupter technique
Paediatric Department, Guy s and St Thomas Hospital, Guy s, King s, St Thomas School of Medicine, King s College, London, UK
Pediatr Pulmonol 36:495-501. 2003
..b>Cheek support improved the correlation with all the lung function results, both in inspiratory and expiratory ..
- Characterization of adenosine receptors mediating the vasodilator effects of adenosine receptor agonists in the microvasculature of the hamster cheek pouch in vivo
School of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey, UK
Auton Autacoid Pharmacol 22:209-14. 2002
..study was to characterize the adenosine receptor mediating vasodilation in the microvasculature of the hamster cheek pouch in vivo...
- Insight into the mechanisms underlying tumor response to boron neutron capture therapy in the hamster cheek pouch oral cancer model
Romina F Aromando
Department of Oral Pathology, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Oral Pathol Med 38:448-54. 2009
The therapeutic success of different boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT) protocols employing the hamster cheek pouch oral cancer model has been previously reported by our laboratory...
- Detection of temporal lobe spikes: comparing nasopharyngeal, cheek and anterior temporal electrodes to simultaneous subdural recordings
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, F02 201, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Center Utrecht, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
Clin Neurophysiol 119:1771-7. 2008
To compare nasopharyngeal (NP), cheek and anterior temporal (AT) electrodes for the detection yield and localization of interictal spikes in temporal lobe epilepsy.
- Involvement of the 5-lipoxygenase/leukotriene A4 hydrolase pathway in 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene (DMBA)-induced oral carcinogenesis in hamster cheek pouch, and inhibition of carcinogenesis by its inhibitors
Cancer Research Program, Julius L Chambers Biomedical Biotechnology Research Institute, North Carolina Central University, NC 27707, USA
Carcinogenesis 27:1902-8. 2006
..A4 hydrolase (LTA4H) pathway of AA metabolism in 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene (DMBA)-induced hamster cheek pouch carcinogenesis...
- Extra-abdominal fibromatosis of the cheek: report of a case
Division of Maxillofacial Surgery, Department of Oral Medicine and Surgery, Tohoku University Graduate School of Dentistry, Sendai, Japan
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:1222-6. 2005