- Alpha9 and beta8 integrin expression correlates with the merger of the developing mouse eyelids
M A Stepp
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Department of Ophthalmology, The George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Dev Dyn 214:216-28. 1999
As previously reported, alpha9 integrin is expressed between the merged or fused eyelids of mice at birth, and changes in alpha9 localization occur during lid opening...
- A survey of trachoma: the histopathology and the mechanism of progressive cicatrization of eyelid tissues
Department of Ophthalmology, Harran University School of Medicine, Sanliurfa, Turkey
Ophthalmologica 214:277-84. 2000
..Specimens of eyelid tissues were taken from 27 upper eyelids of 21 patients with entropion who underwent surgical procedures and 2 post-mortem upper eyelids with severe ..
- Basal cell carcinoma on the eyelids: own experience
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, University of Medicine, Wrocław, Poland
Dermatol Surg 30:257-63. 2004
Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is the most common skin malignancy. Eyelids constitute a special location of BCC because of the proximity of the eyeball.
- A role for MEK kinase 1 in TGF-beta/activin-induced epithelium movement and embryonic eyelid closure
Department of Environmental Health, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
EMBO J 22:4443-54. 2003
..This study also suggests that the signaling mechanisms that control eyelid closure in mammals and dorsal closure in Drosophila are evolutionarily conserved...
- ROCK-I regulates closure of the eyelids and ventral body wall by inducing assembly of actomyosin bundles
Department of Pharmacology, Kyoto University Faculty of Medicine, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
J Cell Biol 168:941-53. 2005
..These results suggest that ROCK-I regulates closure of the eyelids and ventral body wall through organization of actomyosin bundles.
- Grhl3 and Lmo4 play coordinate roles in epidermal migration
Nikki R Hislop
Rotary Bone Marrow Research Laboratories, Melbourne Health Research Directorate, c o Royal Melbourne Hospital Post Office, Parkville, VIC 3050, Australia
Dev Biol 321:263-72. 2008
..Accumulation of actin fibers is also absent in the circumference of these eyelids, and ERK1/2 phosphorylation is lost in the epidermis and eyelids of Grhl3(-/-)/Lmo4(-/-) embryos...
- Mutations in AEC syndrome skin reveal a role for p63 in basement membrane adhesion, skin barrier integrity and hair follicle biology
S E Clements
St John s Institute of Dermatology, King s College London Guy s Campus, London SE1 9RT, UK
Br J Dermatol 167:134-44. 2012
..Clinically, the skin is dry and often fragile; other features can include partial eyelid fusion (ankyloblepharon), hypodontia, orofacial clefting, sparse hair or alopecia, and nail dystrophy...
- Spectrum of FOXL2 gene mutations in blepharophimosis-ptosis-epicanthus inversus (BPES) families demonstrates a genotype--phenotype correlation
E De Baere
Department of Medical Genetics, Ghent University Hospital, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Hum Mol Genet 10:1591-600. 2001
..Furthermore, we propose that in a fraction of the BPES patients the genetic defect does not reside within the coding region of the FOXL2 gene and may be caused by a position effect...
- ROCK-I and ROCK-II cooperatively regulate closure of eyelid and ventral body wall in mouse embryo
Department of Pharmacology, Kyoto University Faculty of Medicine, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Genes Cells 10:825-34. 2005
..Consistently, ROCK-I(+/-)ROCK-II(+/-) double heterozygous mice also show the EOB and omphalocele phenotype...
- HB-EGF promotes epithelial cell migration in eyelid development
Department of Cell Biology, Research Institute for Microbial Diseases, Osaka University, 3 1, Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Development 132:4317-26. 2005
..In addition, activation of EGFR and ERK was decreased in HB(del/del) eyelids. Crosses between HB(del/del) mice and waved 2 mice, a hypomorphic EGFR mutant strain, indicate that HB-EGF and ..
- The putative forkhead transcription factor FOXL2 is mutated in blepharophimosis/ptosis/epicanthus inversus syndrome
Istituto di Ricerca sulle Talassemie ed Anemie Mediterranee CNR, and Dipartimento di Scienze Biomediche e Biotecnologie, Ospedale Regionale per le Microcitemie, Universita degli Studi di Cagliari, Cagliari, Italy
Nat Genet 27:159-66. 2001
..with an involvement in those tissues, FOXL2 is selectively expressed in the mesenchyme of developing mouse eyelids and in adult ovarian follicles; in adult humans, it appears predominantly in the ovary...
- c-Jun regulates eyelid closure and skin tumor development through EGFR signaling
Research Institute of Molecular Pathology IMP, A 1030, Vienna, Austria
Dev Cell 4:879-89. 2003
..lacking c-jun in keratinocytes (c-jun(Deltaep)) develop normal skin but express reduced levels of EGFR in the eyelids, leading to open eyes at birth, as observed in EGFR null mice...
- Conditional disruption of mouse Klf5 results in defective eyelids with malformed meibomian glands, abnormal cornea and loss of conjunctival goblet cells
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Dev Biol 356:5-18. 2011
..Klf5 mRNA was detected as early as embryonic day 12 (E12) in the cornea, conjunctiva and eyelids, wherein its expression increased during development...
- Severe skin erosions and scalp infections in AEC syndrome
S L Vanderhooft
Department of Medicine (Dermatology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle 98195
Pediatr Dermatol 10:334-40. 1993
..Aggressive wound care in conjunction with early administration of topical or systemic antibiotics is suggested...
- Lid swelling and diplopia as presenting features of orbital sarcoid
Medical Research Foundation, 18 College Road, Chennai 600 006, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 48:231-3. 2000
..In the eye, the common sites of involvement are the skin of eyelid, conjunctiva, uveal tract, retina, optic nerve and lacrimal gland...
- Mucocutaneous junction of eyelid and lip: a study of the transition zone using epithelial cell markers
Andri K Riau
Singapore Eye Research Institute, Singapore
Curr Eye Res 33:912-22. 2008
..The expression of epithelial cell markers in the mouse eyelid and lip was investigated in order to understand the nature of the interactions of mucosal and skin epithelium as to how they form the mucocutaneous junction (MCJ)...
- Mutations in FOXL2 underlying BPES (types 1 and 2) in Colombian families
J L Ramirez-Castro
Unidad de Genética Médica, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Antioquia, Medellin, Colombia
Am J Med Genet 113:47-51. 2002
- The trachomatous trichiasis clamp: a surgical instrument designed to improve bilamellar tarsal rotation procedure outcomes
Shannath L Merbs
Department of Ophthalmology, Wilmer Eye Institute, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 130:220-3. 2012
- Organization of trigeminocollicular connections and their relations to the sensory innervation of the eyelids in the rat
Laboratoire de Neuroanatomie Fonctionnelle des Systèmes Sensorimoteurs, 75251 Paris, France
J Comp Neurol 448:373-87. 2002
..This implies that intermediate and deeper SC layers receive sensory information from the eyelids and may be directly involved in the regulation of eye-eyelid coordination.
- Primary herpes simplex virus type 1 infection of the eye triggers similar immune responses in the cornea and the skin of the eyelids
Thomas H Stumpf
Division of Ophthalmology, School of Medical Sciences, University Walk, Bristol BS8 1TD, UK
J Gen Virol 83:1579-90. 2002
..The eyes and eyelids of infected and control mice were processed for immunohistochemistry and double stained for viral antigens and ..
- Insulin-secreting cells from human eyelid-derived stem cells alleviate type I diabetes in immunocompetent mice
Hyun Mi Kang
Department of Biotechnology, Seoul Women s University, Seoul, Korea
Stem Cells 27:1999-2008. 2009
..In conclusion, human insulin alone produced from eyelid-derived stem cells following differentiation into insulin-secreting cells and transplantation could normalize type I diabetes in mice...
- c-Jun is essential for organization of the epidermal leading edge
Molecular Biology Section, Division of Biological Sciences, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Dev Cell 4:865-77. 2003
..Lack of c-Jun prevents EGF-induced expression of HB-EGF, indicating that c-jun controls formation of the epidermal leading edge through its control of an EGF receptor autocrine loop...
- Characteristic ocular findings in Asian children with Down syndrome
J H Kim
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, Seoul National University and Clinical Research Institute Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Eye (Lond) 16:710-4. 2002
..AIMS/PURPOSE: To identify the characteristic ocular findings in Asian children with Down syndrome...
- Differential PERP regulation by TP63 mutants provides insight into AEC pathogenesis
VERONICA G BEAUDRY
Division of Radiation and Cancer Biology, Department of Radiation Oncology, Stanford University School of Medicine, 269 Campus Drive, Stanford, CA 94305 5152, USA
Am J Med Genet A 149:1952-7. 2009
..Elucidating how specific TP63 target genes contribute to the pathogenesis of AEC will ultimately help design novel approaches to diagnose and treat AEC...
- DeltaNp63 knockdown mice: A mouse model for AEC syndrome
Maranke I Koster
Department of Dermatology and Charles C Gates Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Biology Program, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Am J Med Genet A 149:1942-7. 2009
..c) 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc...
- What causes eyelid bags? Analysis of 114 consecutive patients
Robert Alan Goldberg
Division of Orbital and Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery, Jules Stein Eye Institute, and the Department of Ophthalmology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, Calif 90095 7006, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 115:1395-402; discussion 1403-4. 2005
..The purpose of this study was to identify the anatomical basis for perception of lower eyelid bags in patients seeking aesthetic surgery and to evaluate the cumulative contribution of different anatomic characteristics before surgery...
- Dermatologic findings of ankyloblepharon-ectodermal defects-cleft lip/palate (AEC) syndrome
Meena R Julapalli
Texas Children s Hospital, Department of Pediatric Dermatology, Baylor College of Medicine, 6621 Fannin Street, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am J Med Genet A 149:1900-6. 2009
..Therapeutic strategies currently under exploration include gene therapy, as well as epidermal stem cell therapy. Until then, gentle wound care and limiting further trauma seem to be the most prudent treatment modalities...
- In vivo confocal microscopy of the ocular surface
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Rostock, Rostock, Germany
Ocul Surf 4:81-93. 2006
..The purpose of this review is to summarize the current knowledge about in vivo confocal microscopy of the ocular surface...
- Bacterial flora--A potential source of endophthalmitis after cataract surgery
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok
J Med Assoc Thai 88:S49-53. 2005
..To study bacteria from eye lids and conjunctival sac of patients undergoing cataract surgery before and after the application of antiseptics...
- Lymphatic vessels in human eyelids: an immunohistological study in dermatochalasis and chalazion
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Anatomy and Histology Section, University of Siena, Italy
Lymphology 41:29-39. 2008
We investigated lymphatic morphology and expression of endothelin (ET-1) axis molecules in human eyelids affected by an inflammatory state (chalazion) and an age-related degenerative condition (dermatochalasis)...
- Ankyloblepharon filiforme adnatum
M A Williams
Eye and Ear Clinic, Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, UK
Arch Dis Child 92:73-4. 2007
..Two cases of a rare congenital eyelid abnormality, ankyloblepharon filiforme adnatum, are presented, and novel aspects of treatment, associations and classification are discussed...
- [Plastic reconstructive correction of persistent orofacial swelling and swelling of the eyelids in Melkersson-Rosenthal syndrome]
Universitätsaugenklinik Tübingen, Abt 1
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 220:352-6. 2003
..The Melkersson-Rosenthal syndrome complex is characterised by asymmetric orofacial oedema, facial palsy, furrowed tongue (lingua plicata) and additional neurological symptoms...
- Anterior lamellar repositioning with complete lid split: a modified method for treating upper eyelids trichiasis in Asian patients
Y L Bi
Division of Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery, Department of Ophthalmology, Tongji Hospital, Affiliate of Tongji University, 389, Xin Cun Road, Shanghai 200065, People s Republic of China
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 62:1395-402. 2009
Anatomically, the upper eyelids of an Asian are considerably unique, and nearly half of the East Asians have single eyelids...
- Congenital eyelid imbrication syndrome
D J De Silva
Eye (Lond) 20:1103-4. 2006
- Management of canalicular lacerations: epidemiological aspects and experience with Mini-Monoka monocanalicular stent
Milind N Naik
Division of Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery, LV Prasad Eye Institute, LV Prasad Marg, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad, India
Am J Ophthalmol 145:375-380. 2008
..To report the epidemiological data, clinical profile, and surgical outcome of canalicular lacerations in an Indian population...
- Three novel FOXL2 gene mutations in Chinese patients with blepharophimosis-ptosis-epicanthus inversus syndrome
Siu fong June Or
Clinical Genetic Service, Department of Health, Hong Kong SAR, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 119:49-52. 2006
- Pathologic changes of skin and hair in ankyloblepharon-ectodermal defects-cleft lip/palate (AEC) syndrome
Megan K Dishop
Department of Pathology, Texas Children s Hospital, Baylor College of Medicine, 6621 Fannin, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am J Med Genet A 149:1935-41. 2009
..Skin and hair findings in AEC syndrome were found to be generally similar to those described in other ectodermal dysplasia syndromes and corroborates the few prior descriptions in AEC syndrome specifically...
- Full-thickness lower eyelid reconstruction with a conchal chondro-perichondral graft and local coverage with Mio-cutaneous flaps--our divisional experience
Pier Camillo Parodi
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, University of Udine, Udine, Italy
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:1826-32. 2008
- Oral findings in ankyloblepharon-ectodermal dysplasia-cleft lip/palate (AEC) syndrome
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry, Pediatric Dentistry, 521 North 11th Street, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Am J Med Genet A 149:1907-9. 2009
..History indicated that issues related to treatment of the palatal cleft and lack of recognition of the oral defects as a part of the underlying medical problem were factors in receiving comprehensive tooth replacement care...
- Antibiotic resistance patterns of ocular bacterial flora: a prospective study of patients undergoing anterior segment surgery
Christopher N Ta
Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, Stanford University, 900 Blake Wilbur Drive, Stanford, CA 94304, USA
Ophthalmology 110:1946-51. 2003
..To determine the antibiotic susceptibility patterns of conjunctival bacterial flora isolated preoperatively from patients undergoing anterior segment surgery...
- Congenital eyelid imbrication syndrome
Department of Ophthalmology, Western Galilee Nahariya Medical Center, PO Box 21, 22100 Nahariya, Israel
Am J Ophthalmol 138:499-501. 2004
..To describe congenital eyelid imbrication syndrome and its possible pathophysiology...
- Recurrence of trichiasis: a long-term follow-up study in the Sultanate of Oman
Ministry of Health, Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 8:155-61. 2001
..DISCUSSION: The risk of recurrence after electro-epilation and bilamellar tarsal rotation surgery is high; strategies that account for recurrence need to be introduced...
- Turnover and migration of meibomian gland cells in rats' eyelids
Department of Ophthalmology, Hadassah University Hospital and Hebrew University-Hadassah Faculty of Medicine, Jerusalem, Israel
Ophthalmic Res 33:170-5. 2001
..The eyes and eyelids were removed in one piece, fixed in formalin, embedded in paraffin and cut into 5-micron-thick vertical sections ..
- Recovery of orbital fat pad prolapsus and deepening of the lid sulcus from topical bimatoprost therapy: 2 case reports and review of the literature
Ophthalmology Department, Dumlupinar University School of Medicine, Kutahya, Turkey
Cutan Ocul Toxicol 29:212-6. 2010
..To report 2 cases of resolution of orbital fat pad prolapsus and deepening of the lid sulcus caused by topical bimatoprost therapy, and to review the literature...
- Canalicular lacerations: repair with the Mini-Monoka® monocanalicular intubation stent
Oculoplastic and Orbital Division, Department of Ophthalmology, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, 6 Weitzman Street, Tel Aviv, 64239, Israel
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging 41:472-7. 2010
..There are different techniques for reconstructing traumatic canalicular lacerations. The aim of this study is to report the surgical outcome with the Mini-Monoka monocanalicular stent (FCI Ophthalmics, Issy-Les Moulineaux, France)...
- Differential effects of reflex blinks on saccade perturbations in humans
H H L M Goossens
Donders Inst for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour, Dept of Biophysics, Radboud Univ Nijmegen Medical Ctr, G Grooteplein 21, PO Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Neurophysiol 103:1685-95. 2010
..These findings support the theory that blink-perturbed saccades are programmed as slow, but straight, saccades onto which blink-related eye movements are superimposed. This linear superposition occurs downstream from the SC...
- Differential altered stability and transcriptional activity of ΔNp63 mutants in distinct ectodermal dysplasias
Medical Research Council, Leicester University, Leicester LE19HN, UK
J Cell Sci 124:2200-7. 2011
..Disruption of this regulatory mechanism might contribute to the pathology of p63-related developmental disorders...
- Eyelid avulsion repair with bi-canalicular silicone stenting without medial canthal tendon reconstruction
Naing L Tint
Department of Ophthalmology, Manchester Royal Eye Hospital, Manchester, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 95:1389-92. 2011
- Ankyloblepharon filiforme adnatum
Academic Division of Child Health, University of Nottingham, United Kingdom
J Pediatr 152:594. 2008
- Open loop fascial sling for severe congenital blepharoptosis
Zakaria Yahya Arajy
Scientific Council of Plastic Surgery, Iraqi Board for Medical Specializations, Baghdad, Iraq
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 40:129-33. 2012
..We describe a simple open loop fascia lata suspension sling to the frontalis muscle to treat patients with severe eyelid ptosis and poor levator function...
- 'Kite-tail' fascia lata strips technique: frontalis suspension using a non-endoscopic minimally invasive single-thigh incision approach
Department of Ophthalmology, Division of Oculoplastic, Orbital and Lacrimal Surgery, Erciyes University Medical Faculty, Kayseri, Turkey
Br J Ophthalmol 96:570-5. 2012
..To introduce 'kite-tail' strips or a 'multiple Z-plasty' technique on an autogenous fascia lata graft without a stripper to correct severe blepharoptosis by frontalis suspension and to evaluate its effectiveness on surgical outcome...
- Blepharoptosis repaired by frontalis-orbicularis oculi flap: a new technique
Plastic and Reconstructive Division, Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Panyananthaphikkhu Chonprathan Medical Center, Srinakharinwirot University, Nonthaburi, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 93:S15-20. 2010
..Recently the orbicularis oculi flap has become popular but lagopthalmos is still a bothersome problem. A new technique has been introduced in order to reduce the lagopthalmos...
- Macaque pontine omnipause neurons play no direct role in the generation of eye blinks
K P Schultz
Department of Vision Sciences and Vision Science Research Center, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
J Neurophysiol 103:2255-74. 2010
..In addition, the OPN pause continued for 40-60 ms after the time of the maximum downward closing of the eyelids, which occurs around the end of the OOMN burst of firing...
- Mini-invasive ptosis surgery
Francesco P Bernardini
Ospedale Evangelico Internazionale, Genova and Ospedale Evangelico Valdese, Torino, Italy
Orbit 25:111-5. 2006
..We believe that, in a selected group of patients, a less invasive approach with an upper lid skin incision of only 0.8 cm is equally effective for the final result and offers several advantages compared to the traditional technique...
- A dual role of FGF10 in proliferation and coordinated migration of epithelial leading edge cells during mouse eyelid development
Department of Biological Science and Technology, Faculty of Engineering, University of Tokushima, 2 1 Minami Jyosanjima, Tokushima 770 8506, Japan
Development 132:3217-30. 2005
..Mutant mice deficient in the fibroblast growth factor 10 (Fgf10) gene exhibit open-eyelids at birth...
- Double-eyelid blepharoplasty incorporating blepharoptosis surgery for 'latent' aponeurotic ptosis
Department of Ophthalmology, Ninth People s Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, School of Medicine, Shanghai, PR China
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 64:993-9. 2011
..as the failure to create double-eyelid skin creases and the outcome of higher skin creases and asymmetrical upper eyelids. These complications may happen even when the surgery proceeded successfully and the septum was intact, which ..
- Primary bilateral silicone frontalis suspension for good levator function ptosis in oculopharyngeal muscular dystrophy
Richard C Allen
Department of Surgery, Division of Ophthalmology, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, New Mexico USA
Br J Ophthalmol 96:841-5. 2012
..To evaluate outcomes of patients with oculopharyngeal muscular dystrophy (OPMD) with levator function (LF) ≥ 10mm who underwent primary bilateral silicone frontalis suspension...
- Prediction of postoperative eyelid height after frontalis suspension using autogenous fascia lata for pediatric congenital ptosis
Chang Yeom Kim
The Institute of Vision Research, Department of Ophthalmology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Am J Ophthalmol 153:334-342.e2. 2012
..To predict eyelid height after frontalis suspension using autogenous fascia lata for congenital ptosis...
- Interactions between gaze-evoked blinks and gaze shifts in monkeys
Neeraj J Gandhi
Department of Otolaryngology, Center for Neural Basis of Cognition, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Exp Brain Res 216:321-39. 2012
- The distribution of primary afferent terminals from the eyelids of macaque monkeys
P J May
Department of Anatomy, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson 39216, USA
Exp Brain Res 123:368-81. 1998
Trigeminal sensory afferents from the eyelids convey two types of information that are important for the blink reflex. Movement of the lashes activates low-threshold mechanoreceptors which evoke protective blinks...
- A novel mutation in the FOXL2 gene in a patient with blepharophimosis syndrome: differential role of the polyalanine tract in the development of the ovary and the eyelid
Department of Pediatrics, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Ophthalmic Genet 23:43-7. 2002
..inversus syndrome (BPES) is an autosomal dominant disorder characterized by abnormalities of the eyelids. We herein report a 12-year-old girl with BPES who had bilateral blepharophimosis, ptosis, hypertelorism, and ..
- Temporal interactions of air-puff-evoked blinks and saccadic eye movements: insights into motor preparation
Neeraj J Gandhi
Deptartment of Otolaryngology and Center for Neural Basis of Cognition, Eye and Ear Institute, University of Pittsburgh, RM 108, 203 Lothrop St, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Neurophysiol 93:1718-29. 2005
..Collectively, these results support the notion that temporal features of the low-frequency activity encode aspects of a premotor command and imply that inhibition of OPNs alone is not sufficient to trigger saccades...
- Double lacrimal puncta: clinical presentation and potential mechanisms of epiphora
Orbital Plastic and Lacrimal Clinic, Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Ophthalmology 117:180-183.e2. 2010
..Congenital supernumerary lacrimal puncta and canaliculi are rarely reported. Our purpose is to present the largest series of patients with supernumerary puncta and to describe the clinical presentation and associated lacrimal anomalies...
- One-stage correction for blepharophimosis syndrome
S Y Wu
Department of Ophthalmology, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kewi Shan, Taoyuan, Taiwan, Republic of China
Eye (Lond) 22:380-8. 2008
..To classify the severity of blepharophimosis, describe associated features and their effects on the incidence of amblyopia and to recommend guidelines for surgical treatment and management of surgical complications...
- The relationship between demodex and ocular discomfort
Seok Hyun Lee
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, Chung Ang University, Yongsan Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:2906-11. 2010
..To determine the correlative relationship between the prevalence of Demodex in eyelashes and the severity of ocular discomfort, by investigating the demographic epidemiology associated with Demodex...
- Skin erosions and wound healing in ankyloblepharon-ectodermal defect-cleft lip and/or palate
Kids Dermatology, 621 S New Ballas Road, St Louis, MO 63141, USA
Arch Dermatol 141:1591-4. 2005
- Anesthesia with EMLA cream for botulinum A toxin injection into eyelids
Meltem F Soylev
School of Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University, TR 35320 Narlidere Izmir, Turkey
Ophthalmologica 216:355-8. 2002
..of an eutectic mixture of local anesthetics (EMLA) in reducing the pain of a botulinum toxin injection into eyelids. 17 patients with facial dyskinesia (9 blepharospasm and 8 hemifacial spasm) who had been treated regularly with ..
- Conjunctival amyloidosis of both eyelids
Department of Surgical Oncology, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 49:116-7. 2001
..We present our experience with this rare patient in whom both upper and lower palpebral conjunctivae were involved, but no systemic amyloidosis...
- Measuring and predicting eyelid spectral transmittance
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Lighting Research Center, 21 Union Street, Troy, New York 12180, USA
J Biomed Opt 16:067011. 2011
..0. The study results indicate that skin pigmentation is poorly correlated with eyelid transmission; eyelid transmission is most affected by wavelength-independent macromolecules in the eyelid as well as its overall thickness...
- Magnetic resonance imaging characterization of orbital changes with age and associated contributions to lower eyelid prominence
Sean J Darcy
David Geffen School of Medicine, the Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 122:921-9; discussion 930-1. 2008
..Multiple orbital aging models have been suggested to explain the progressive development of lower eyelid prominence. Objective data to support these theories are limited, however...
- Epibulbar nodular fasciitis associated with floppy eyelids
Donald U Stone
Molecular Pathogenesis of Eye Infection Research Center, Dean A McGee Eye Institute, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
Cornea 24:361-2. 2005
To report a case of epibulbar nodular fasciitis in a patient with floppy eyelids.
- Rapp-Hodgkin and Hay-Wells ectodermal dysplasia syndromes represent a variable spectrum of the same genetic disorder
S E Clements
St John s Institute of Dermatology, King s College London Guy s Campus, London SE1 9EH, U K
Br J Dermatol 163:624-9. 2010
- [Surgical management of deep chemical burns of the eyelids]
Z Katedry i Kliniki Chirurgii Plastycznej Akademii Medycznej w Bydgoszczy
Klin Oczna 107:275-7. 2005
Chemical burns of the eyelids are common, and this may lead to ocular damage. A direct insult of the eyes that result in permanent damage, is rare in facial burns...
- Eyelids and eye socket reconstruction using the expanded forehead flap and scapha composite grafting
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Kurume University School of Medicine, 67, Asahi machi, Kurume, Fukuoka 830 0011, Japan
Plast Reconstr Surg 108:8-16. 2001
..or excision of malignant tumor, it is difficult to achieve satisfactory results when reconstructing deformed eyelids and the socket for an ocular prosthesis...
- Update on minimally invasive face lift technique
Antonio Fuente del Campo
Private practice in Mexico City, Mexico, USA
Aesthet Surg J 28:51-61; discussion 62. 2008
..Restorative procedures should be based on the condition of the soft tissues and the relationship between these tissues and the existing skeletal volume and can be performed through open, endoscopic, or minimally invasive approaches...
- The c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase is essential for epidermal growth factor expression during epidermal morphogenesis
Claire R Weston
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Program in Molecular Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:14114-9. 2004
..We conclude that JNK is necessary for epithelial morphogenesis and is an essential regulator of signal transduction by the EGF receptor in the epidermis...
- The clinical phenotype of trachomatous trichiasis in Ethiopia: not all trichiasis is due to entropion
Saul N Rajak
The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:7974-80. 2011
..This variation in clinical phenotype is potentially important for treatment guidelines. Therefore, this study was conducted to investigate the range of disease type and severity encompassed by TT...
- A recurrent polyalanine expansion in the transcription factor FOXL2 induces extensive nuclear and cytoplasmic protein aggregation
INSERM E0021 Génomique fonctionnelle du Développement, Hopital Cochin, 123 Bd du Port Royal, Bâtiment Baudelocque, 75014 Paris, France
J Med Genet 41:932-6. 2004
..This may diminish the pool of active protein. Potential effects of aggregation on cell viability are under study...
- FGF-regulated BMP signaling is required for eyelid closure and to specify conjunctival epithelial cell fate
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Washington University, St Louis, MO 63130, USA
Development 136:1741-50. 2009
..Mice lacking Fgf10 or Fgfr2 also have open eyelids at birth...
- Frontalis muscle advancement: a dynamic structure for the treatment of severe congenital eyelid ptosis
Oscar M Ramirez
Johns Hopkins University and University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 113:1841-9; discussion 1850-1. 2004
..Symmetry is created by intervention on the contralateral eyelid to provide symmetrical supratarsal creases...
- Congenital shortening of the anterior lamella of all eyelids: the so-called ablepharon macrostomia syndrome
A A Cruz
Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 11:284-7. 1995
..abnormal ears, an enlarged, fishlike mouth, absence of lanugo, redundant skin, and vertical shortening of all eyelids. Only four cases have been described so far...
- Velvet, a dominant Egfr mutation that causes wavy hair and defective eyelid development in mice
Department of Immunology, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Genetics 166:331-40. 2004
..5. Mice heterozygous for the Velvet mutation are born with eyelids open and demonstrate a wavy coat and curly vibrissae...
- Long-term results of frontalis suspension using autogenous fascia lata for congenital ptosis in children under 3 years of age
Department of Ophthalmology, Tel Aviv Medical Center, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Am J Ophthalmol 136:866-71. 2003
..To evaluate the outcome of frontalis suspension surgery for congenital ptosis using autogenous fascia lata for children under 3 years of age...
- A simplified technique of ptosis repair using a single adjustable suture
M A Meltzer
Department of Ophthalmology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Ophthalmology 108:1889-92. 2001
..The follow-up period ranged from 3 to 31 months. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE: Lid position. RESULTS: All eyelids included in this study were corrected to 1 mm of the desired result...
- Serum response factor is essential for the proper development of skin epithelium
Angela M Verdoni
Department of Medical Genetics, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI, 53706, USA
Mamm Genome 21:64-76. 2010
..Our results demonstrate that Srf is essential for the actin-mediated sealing of epithelial cell-cell contacts and the development of functional stratified skin epithelium in vivo...
- Anthropometric analysis of eyebrows and eyelids: an inter-racial study
Maxillofacial Unit, Poole Hospital NHS Trust, Longfleet Road, Poole, Dorset, BH15 2JB, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 44:89-93. 2006
..The measurements differ, however, among different ethnic groups. We studied the position of the eyebrow and eyelids in three different racial groups, white, Indian, and Chinese...
- Effects of common topical antiglaucoma medications on the ocular surface, eyelids and periorbital tissue
J Javier Servat
William Beaumont Eye InstituteConsultants in Ophthalmic and Facial Plastic Surgery, Royal Oak, Michigan, USA
Drugs Aging 28:267-82. 2011
..This article reviews the ocular adverse effects associated with the various classes of topical antiglaucoma drugs, with a particular focus on the ocular surface, eyelids and periorbital tissue.
- Ectropion and entropion
University of California, San Francisco, USA
Curr Opin Ophthalmol 11:345-51. 2000
..Surgical correction should be directed to the anatomic changes present. A detailed discussion of the more useful surgical procedures to correct ectropion and entropion is presented...
- Spectrum of p63 mutations in a selected patient cohort affected with ankyloblepharon-ectodermal defects-cleft lip/palate syndrome (AEC)
Department of Human Genetics, Radboud University Medical Centre Nijmegen, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Am J Med Genet A 149:1948-51. 2009
..However, AEC and RHS mutations in the 5' and 3' ends of the p63 gene point towards a critical role of the DeltaNp63alpha isoform for the AEC/RHS phenotype...
- In vivo confocal microscopy of the palpebral conjunctiva and tarsal plate
Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation and School of Optometry, Queensland University of Technology, Kelvin Grove, Queensland, Australia
Optom Vis Sci 86:E1303-8. 2009
..The aim of this work is to develop a more complete understanding of the in vivo histology of the human palpebral conjunctiva and tarsal plate...
- Approximation of the eyelids using Steri-Strips for effective eye closure
Plast Reconstr Surg 113:1518-9. 2004
- The influence of eyelid morphology on normal corneal shape
Scott A Read
Contact Lens and Visual Optics Laboratory, School of Optometry, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:112-9. 2007
To investigate associations between the topography of the cornea and the morphology of the eyelids in a population of young adult subjects with a range of refractive errors.
- Medial horn supporting ligament in Asian upper eyelids
Department of Ophthalmology, Aichi Medical University, Nagakute cho, Aichi Gun, Aichi Ken, Japan
Orbit 27:91-6. 2008
..In all eyelids in the gross cadaveric samples, the MHSL was attached from the superior to the medial surfaces of the medial horn,..
- Relationship between the axis and degree of high astigmatism and obliquity of palpebral fissure
M Lourdes Garcia
Department of Pediatric Ophthalmology and the Center for Genetic Eye Diseases, Cole Eye Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J AAPOS 7:14-22. 2003
..To investigate a possible relationship between the slanting of palpebral fissures and the magnitude and axis of astigmatism in children with astigmatism...
- Relationships between central tear film thickness and tear menisci of the upper and lower eyelids
Department of Ophthalmology, Schepens Eye Research Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 47:4349-55. 2006
To investigate the relationship between central tear film thickness (TFT) and tear menisci of the upper and lower eyelids using real-time optical coherence tomography (OCT).
- Changes in astigmatism after surgery for epiblepharon in highly astigmatic children: a controlled study
Mo Sae Kim
Department of Ophthalmology, Sungkyunkwan University, School of Medicine, Kangbuk Samsung Hospital, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J AAPOS 12:597-601. 2008
..To evaluate changes in astigmatism after corrective surgery in highly astigmatic epiblepharon patients compared with nonepiblepharon patients...
- Bilateral basal cell carcinoma symmetrically appearing on lower eyelids: a case report
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Medical School, Dicle University, Diyarbakir, Turkey
Acta Chir Plast 45:49-51. 2003
..There has been no literature about bilateral basal cell carcinoma of lower eyelids symmetrically. A 68-year-old male patient had been suffering from two lesions on his lower eyelids for two years...
- Morphologic and volumetric studies of the meibomian glands in elderly human eyelids
University of California San Diego, Shiley Eye Center, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Cornea 26:610-4. 2007
..To study the microscopic structure of postmortem human Meibomian glands (MGs) in the elderly...
- Necrosis of the eyelids and sclera after retrobulbar anesthesia
Cornea Clinic, Grewal Eye Institute, Chandigarh, India
J Cataract Refract Surg 29:842-4. 2003
..This is a previously unreported complication of retrobulbar anesthesia comprising ophthalmic artery occlusion with scleral melt, ocular ischemia, and eyelid necrosis...
- Regression of lid-induced corneal topography changes after reading
Michael J Collins
Contact Lens and Visual Optics Laboratory, School of Optometry, Queensland University of Technology, Victoria Park Road, Kelvin Grove 4059, Brisbane, Australia
Optom Vis Sci 82:843-9. 2005
..The purpose of this article is to investigate the magnitude of lid-induced corneal topography changes as a function of time spent reading and the subsequent time course of regression of these changes...
- Congenital bilateral eversion of the eyelids
Michaeline A Isawumi
Department of Ophthalmology, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, Osun State, Nigeria
J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus 45:371-3. 2008
The authors report a case of congenital bilateral eversion of the eyelids with secondary conjunctival prolapse in a 4-hour-old neonate...