Genomes and Genes
Summary: A layer of highly vascular pigmented granular cells on the outer wall of the cochlear duct.
Publications223 found, 100 shown here
- Cochlear changes in chronic otitis mediaSebahattin Cureoglu
Department of Otolaryngology, Otitis Media Research Center, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Laryngoscope 114:622-6. 2004..The objective was to describe the morphological changes in the cochlea in chronic otitis media...
- Epithelial cell stretching and luminal acidification lead to a retarded development of stria vascularis and deafness in mice lacking pendrinHyoung Mi Kim
Anatomy and Physiology Department, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e17949. 2011..pH changes occurred first in the cochlea at E15.5 and in the endolymphatic sac at E17.5. At postnatal day 2, stria vascularis, outer sulcus and Reissner's membrane epithelial cells, and utricular and saccular transitional cells were ..
- KCNJ10 (Kir4.1) potassium channel knockout abolishes endocochlear potentialDaniel C Marcus
Department of Anatomy and Physiology, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas 66506 5802, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 282:C403-7. 2002b>Stria vascularis of the cochlea generates the endocochlear potential and secretes K(+). K(+) is the main charge carrier and the endocochlear potential the main driving force for the sensory transduction that leads to hearing...
- Estrogen-related receptor beta/NR3B2 controls epithelial cell fate and endolymph production by the stria vascularisJichao Chen
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Dev Cell 13:325-37. 2007..A systematic comparison of transcripts in the WT versus Nr3b2(-/-) stria vascularis has identified a set of genes that is likely to play a role in the development and/or function of endolymph-..
- Effects of mutations at the W locus (c-kit) on inner ear pigmentation and function in the mouseJ Cable
MRC Institute of Hearing Research, University Park, Nottingham, U K
Pigment Cell Res 7:17-32. 1994..The primary cochlear defect in Viable Dominant Spotting (Wv/Wv) mutants is a lack of melanocytes within the stria vascularis (SV) associated with an endocochlear potential (EP) close to zero and hearing impairment...
- Quantification of the stria vascularis and strial capillary areas in quiet-reared young and aged gerbilsM A Gratton
Department of Otolaryngology and Communicative Sciences, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston 29425, USA
Hear Res 114:1-9. 1997The area of the stria vascularis (StV) and of StV capillaries was measured in radial sections from regions corresponding to 0.5, 2, 4, 10, 20 and 40 kHz...
- Deafness in LIMP2-deficient mice due to early loss of the potassium channel KCNQ1/KCNE1 in marginal cells of the stria vascularisMarlies Knipper
Biochemical Institute, Christian Albrechts University Kiel, Olshausenstr 40, D 24098 Kiel, Germany
J Physiol 576:73-86. 2006..KCNQ1 and its beta-subunit KCNE1 were almost completely lost in the luminal part of marginal cells in the stria vascularis, affecting first higher and later also lower frequency processing cochlear turns...
- Voltage-dependent outward K(+) current in intermediate cell of stria vascularis of gerbil cochleaS Takeuchi
Department of Physiology, Kochi Medical School, Nankoku 783 8505, Japan
Am J Physiol 277:C91-9. 1999A voltage-dependent outward K(+) (K(V)) current in the intermediate cell (melanocyte) of the cochlear stria vascularis was studied using the whole cell patch-clamp technique...
- Impaired stria vascularis integrity upon loss of E-cadherin in basal cellsMark Oliver Trowe
Institut fur Molekularbiologie, OE5250, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Carl Neuberg Str 1, D 30625 Hannover, Germany
Dev Biol 359:95-107. 2011..endolymph, both of which are maintained by a highly specialized epithelium at the cochlear lateral wall, the stria vascularis. The generation of the EP by the stria vascularis, in turn, relies on the insulation of an intrastrial ..
- Presbycusis: a human temporal bone study of individuals with flat audiometric patterns of hearing loss using a new method to quantify stria vascularis volumeErik G Nelson
Section of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Chicago Medical Center, 5841 S Maryland Avenue, MC 1035, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Laryngoscope 113:1672-86. 2003The purpose of this study was to determine the prevalence of stria vascularis atrophy in individuals with presbycusis and flat audiometric patterns of hearing loss...
- Claudins in the tight junctions of stria vascularis marginal cellsP Florian
Department of Clinical Physiology, Benjamin Franklin University Hospital, Freie Universitat Berlin, 12200, Berlin, Germany
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 304:5-10. 2003..We investigated the expression of integral tight junction-proteins, claudin-1 to -4, and occludin, in stria vascularis of the guinea-pig cochlea, as compared to kidney...
- Nongenomic effects of corticosteroids on ion transport by stria vascularisJun Ho Lee
Kansas State University, Department of Anatomy and Physiology, Manhattan, Kans 66506 5802, USA
Audiol Neurootol 7:100-6. 2002b>Stria vascularis electrogenically secretes potassium into endolymph and this secretion is known to be under acute control of several hormone receptors including purinergic, adrenergic and muscarinic receptors...
- Characteristics of stria vascularis melanocytes of viable dominant spotting (Wv/Wv) mouse mutantsJ Cable
MRC Institute of Hearing Research, University Park, Nottingham, UK
Hear Res 64:6-20. 1992..The majority of these animals have no melanocytes within the stria vascularis and no endocochlear potential (EP)...
- Gamma knife surgery of vestibular schwannomas: volumetric dosimetry correlations to hearing loss suggest stria vascularis devascularization as the mechanism of early hearing lossP Ashley Wackym
Department of Otolaryngology and Communication Sciences, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Otol Neurotol 31:1480-7. 2010..Determine which variables are correlated with early hearing changes after gamma knife surgery of vestibular schwannomas (VSs)...
- Stria vascularis ultrastructural pathology in the C3H/lpr autoimmune strain mouse: a potential mechanism for immune-related hearing lossS O McMenomey
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Oregon Hearing Research Center, Portland 97201 2997
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 106:288-95. 1992The stria vascularis in the C3H/lpr autoimmune strain mouse was ultrastructurally examined in order to better understand the potential mechanisms by which systemic autoimmune disease affects the ear...
- Ion flow in stria vascularis and the production and regulation of cochlear endolymph and the endolymphatic potentialRobert Patuzzi
The Auditory Laboratory, Physiology M311, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley 6009, Australia
Hear Res 277:4-19. 2011This paper reviews some of what is known about ion transport through the cells of the mammalian stria vascularis, and discusses how the endolymph and endocochlear potential in scala media are produced by the stria's main cell types...
- Expression and vesicular localization of mouse Trpml3 in stria vascularis, hair cells, and vomeronasal and olfactory receptor neuronsAndrew J Castiglioni
Department of Anesthesiology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Comp Neurol 519:1095-114. 2011..Both marginal cells of the stria vascularis and hair cells express Trpml3 mRNA...
- A systemic gentamicin pathway across the stria vascularisChun Fu Dai
Oregon Hearing Research Center, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Hear Res 235:114-24. 2008....
- Three-dimensional and ultrastructural relationships between intermediate cells and capillaries in the gerbil stria vascularisS Takeuchi
Department of Physiology, Kochi Medical School, Nankoku 783 8505, Japan
Hear Res 155:103-12. 2001Structural relationships between intermediate cells and capillaries in the stria vascularis of gerbils were examined by confocal laser microscopy and electron microscopy. Immunostaining for an inward rectifier K(+) channel (Kir4...
- D-Methionine protects against cisplatin damage to the stria vascularisK C Campbell
SIU School of Medicine, P O Box 19629, Springfield, IL 62794 9629, USA
Hear Res 138:13-28. 1999..1996). However, D-met's protective effects on the stria vascularis has not been previously investigated...
- Spiral ligament and stria vascularis changes in cochlear otosclerosis: effect on hearing levelJoni K Doherty
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA
Otol Neurotol 25:457-64. 2004To investigate the effect of changes within the spiral ligament and stria vascularis on hearing in cochlear otosclerosis, we examined spiral ligament hyalinization, stria vascularis atrophy, and sensory hearing loss in cochlear ..
- Nuclear-factor kappa B (NF-kappa B)-inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS/NOS II) pathway damages the stria vascularis in cisplatin-treated miceKen ichi Watanabe
Department of Oto Rhino Laryngology, Nippon Medical School, Sendagi 1 1 5, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8603, Japan
Anticancer Res 22:4081-5. 2002Cisplatin is reported to damage the stria vascularis of the cochlea. Free radicals, especially large amounts of nitric oxide catalyzed by inducible nitric oxide synthase, are considered to have an important role in this toxicity...
- Bumetanide-induced enlargement of the intercellular space in the stria vascularis critically depends on Na+ transportKasumi Higashiyama
Department of Otolaryngology, Kochi Medical School, Nankoku 783 8505, Japan
Hear Res 186:1-9. 2003The intercellular space in the stria vascularis (intrastrial space) is a closed space and isolated from both the endolymph and the perilymph in normal tissue...
- Free radical stress-mediated loss of Kcnj10 protein expression in stria vascularis contributes to deafness in Pendred syndrome mouse modelRuchira Singh
Department of Anatomy and Physiology, Kansas State University, 205 Coles Hall, Manhattan, KS 66506, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 294:F139-48. 2008..Loss of pendrin causes deafness via a loss of the K(+) channel Kcnj10 in stria vascularis and consequent loss of the endocochlear potential. Pendrin and Kcnj10 are expressed in different cell types...
- How is the highly positive endocochlear potential formed? The specific architecture of the stria vascularis and the roles of the ion-transport apparatusHiroshi Hibino
Division of Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology, Department of Pharmacology, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, 2 2 Yamada oka, Suita, Osaka, 565 0871, Japan
Pflugers Arch 459:521-33. 2010..A key element is the stria vascularis, which displays a characteristic tissue structure and expresses multiple ion-transport apparatus...
- The endocochlear potential depends on two K+ diffusion potentials and an electrical barrier in the stria vascularis of the inner earFumiaki Nin
Division of Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology, Department of Pharmacology, and Department of Otolaryngology, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, 2 2 Yamada oka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:1751-6. 2008..Although the regulation of K(+) concentration ([K(+)]) in various compartments of the cochlear stria vascularis seems crucial for the formation of the EP, the mechanism remains uncertain...
- Morphological observation of the stria vascularis in midkine and pleiotrophin knockout miceMichihiko Sone
Department of Otolaryngology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
Auris Nasus Larynx 38:41-5. 2011..In the present study, we focused on the roles of midkine and pleiotrophin in the stria vascularis and investigated morphological changes using mice deficient in these genes.
- Aquaporin-1 (AQP1) is expressed in the stria vascularis of rat cochleaShoichi Sawada
Department of Otolaryngology, Kochi Medical School, Nankoku, 783 8505 Kochi, Japan
Hear Res 181:15-9. 2003Cochlea endolymph, produced by the stria vascularis, is essential for normal inner ear function. Abnormal endolymphatic volumes correlate closely with pathological conditions such as Ménière's disease...
- Trafficking of systemic fluorescent gentamicin into the cochlea and hair cellsQi Wang
Oregon Hearing Research Center, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239, USA
J Assoc Res Otolaryngol 10:205-19. 2009..In murine cochleae, GTTR is preferentially taken up by the stria vascularis compared to the spiral ligament, peaking 3 h after intra-peritoneal injection, following GTTR kinetics in ..
- MRNA expression of members of the IGF system in the organ of Corti, the modiolus and the stria vascularis of newborn ratsJohann Gross
Molecular Biology Research Laboratory, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Growth Factors 26:180-91. 2008..microarray system and confirmatory RT-PCR in the freshly prepared organ of Corti (OC), modiolus (MOD) and stria vascularis (SV) from neonatal rats (3-5 days old) and after 24h in culture...
- Light (Blt), a mutation that causes melanocyte death, affects stria vascularis function in the mouse inner earJ Cable
MRC Institute of Hearing Research, University Park, Nottingham, U K
Pigment Cell Res 6:215-25. 1993..studies on W-locus spotting mutants, from which melanocytes are absent, have shown that melanocytes in the stria vascularis of the inner ear are essential for the development and/or maintenance of the endocochlear potential (EP) ..
- Pathologic changes of presbycusis begin in secondary processes and spread to primary processes of strial marginal cellsSamuel S Spicer
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Hear Res 205:225-40. 2005..The reduced ATP level may cause cytotoxic alteration of the cytosolic Na(+)/K(+) ratio first in MC secondary processes and later in the primaries, with consequent degeneration of these structures...
- Competitive antagonism of fluorescent gentamicin uptake in the cochleaQi Wang
Oregon Hearing Research Center, Oregon Health Sciences University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Hear Res 268:250-9. 2010..competitive antagonism of unconjugated aminoglycosides on the uptake of fluorescent gentamicin (GTTR) in the stria vascularis and kidney cells at an early time point...
- Unbiased stereological estimation of the spiral ligament and stria vascularis volumes in aging and Ménière's disease using archival human temporal bonesGail Ishiyama
Neurology Department, David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Assoc Res Otolaryngol 8:8-17. 2007..present study applies the unbiased stereological technique-Cavalieri principle to measure the volumes of the stria vascularis (SV) and the spiral ligament (SL) using postmortem archival human temporal bones from normal young and older ..
- Compartmentalization established by claudin-11-based tight junctions in stria vascularis is required for hearing through generation of endocochlear potentialShin ichiro Kitajiri
Department of Cell Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, 606 8501, Japan
J Cell Sci 117:5087-96. 2004..These conditions are thought to be generated by the stria vascularis, which is adjacent to the endolymph compartment...
- Macrophage invasion contributes to degeneration of stria vascularis in Pendred syndrome mouse modelSairam V Jabba
Anatomy and Physiology Department, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS 66506, USA
BMC Med 4:37. 2006..Previously, we reported that stria vascularis of adult Slc26a4-/- mice is hyperpigmented and that marginal cells appear disorganized...
- Expression of apoptosis-related genes in the organ of Corti, modiolus and stria vascularis of newborn ratsJohann Gross
Dept Othorhinolaryngology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Molecular Biology Research Laboratory, Chariteplatz 1, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Brain Res 1162:56-68. 2007..For the analyses, we used pooled samples of the organ of Corti (OC), modiolus (MOD) and stria vascularis (SV), respectively...
- Upregulated iNOS and oxidative damage to the cochlear stria vascularis due to noise stressXiaorui Shi
Department of Otolaryngology, The General Hospital of the Chinese People s Armed Police Army, Yong Ding Road 69, Beijing 100039, China
Brain Res 967:1-10. 2003..In the normal animals, iNOS expression was not observed in the vascular endothelium of the stria vascularis and only weak iNOS immunoactivity was detected in the marginal cells...
- Connexin30 deficiency causes instrastrial fluid-blood barrier disruption within the cochlear stria vascularisMartine Cohen-Salmon
Unité de Génétique des Déficits Sensoriels, Unité Mixte de Recherche S 587, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:6229-34. 2007..The EP is produced by the stria vascularis (SV), a vascularized bilayer epithelium of the cochlea lateral wall...
- Endothelial injury of capillaries in the stria vascularis of guinea pigs treated with cisplatin and gentamicinS Kohn
Electron Microscopy Unit, Bruce Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Ultrastruct Pathol 21:289-99. 1997..The authors report a detailed electron microscopic study of blood vessels in stria vascularis of guinea pigs after treatment with cisplatin alone and in combination with gentamicin...
- Mechanism generating endocochlear potential: role played by intermediate cells in stria vascularisS Takeuchi
Department of Physiology, Kochi Medical School, Nankoku 783 8505, Japan
Biophys J 79:2572-82. 2000The endocochlear DC potential (EP) is generated by the stria vascularis, and essential for the normal function of hair cells. Intermediate cells are melanocytes in the stria vascularis...
- Effects of a single high dose of cisplatin on the melanocytes of the stria vascularis in the guinea pigGoran Laurell
Department of Clinical Sciences, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Audiol Neurootol 12:170-8. 2007..Auditory brainstem response (ABR) thresholds and morphological analysis of the hair cells and the stria vascularis were made 96 h after injection...
- Deafness and stria vascularis defects in S1P2 receptor-null miceMari Kono
Genetics of Development and Disease Branch, NIDDK, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1821, USA
J Biol Chem 282:10690-6. 2007..However, some of the earliest cellular lesions in the cochlea were found within the stria vascularis, a barrier epithelium containing the primary vasculature of the inner ear...
- Deafness in Claudin 11-null mice reveals the critical contribution of basal cell tight junctions to stria vascularis functionAlexander Gow
Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Carman and Ann Adams Department of Pediatrics, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
J Neurosci 24:7051-62. 2004..Together, these data demonstrate the central importance of basal cell tight junctions in the stria vascularis and directly verify the two-cell hypothesis for generation of endocochlear potential...
- Noise-induced hearing loss: the effect of melanin in the stria vascularisS Bartels
Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, Oregon Hearing Research Center, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland 97201-3098, USA
Hear Res 154:116-23. 2001..hearing loss have suggested that eumelanin and pheomelanin may have differing effects within the stria vascularis. Three strains of C57BL/6J mice, (+/+, a/a) wild-types (dark coats/black eyes), (c2j/c2j, a/a), albinos (..
- [Primary culture of strial marginal cells of guinea pig cochlea]Min Fu
Department of Otolaryngology, Guangdong Provincial Peoples Hospital, Guangzhou 510080
Lin Chuang Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi 16:616-7. 2002..For further study of the function of marginal cells, primary cultures of marginal cells of guinea pig were established...
- Changes in cytochemistry of sensory and nonsensory cells in gentamicin-treated cochleasShun ichi Imamura
Department of Otolaryngology, Shinshu University School of Medicine, 3 1 1 Asahi, Matsumoto, Nagano 390 8621, Japan
J Assoc Res Otolaryngol 4:196-218. 2003..Cytochemical changes in hair cells, spiral ganglion cells, and cells of the stria vascularis, spiral ligament, and spiral limbus were found beginning 4 days post administration...
- Chlorpromazine inhibits cochlear function in guinea pigsJohn S Oghalai
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0342, USA
Hear Res 198:59-68. 2004..This suggests that shifting the electromotility transfer function correspondingly reduces the gain of the cochlear amplifier...
- Age-related histopathologic changes in the human cochlea: a temporal bone studyTakeshi Kusunoki
International Hearing Foundation, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 131:897-903. 2004..Previous reports on aging of human cochlea included subjects with ear diseases or ototoxic drugs. We studied spiral ganglion cells, hair cells, and lateral wall of cochlea from subjects without ear disease or ototoxic drugs...
- Time sequence of degeneration pattern in the guinea pig cochlea during cisplatin administration. A quantitative histological studyMarjolein W M van Ruijven
Hearing Research Laboratories, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Room G 02 531, P O Box 85 500, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Hear Res 197:44-54. 2004..Histological changes in the organ of Corti, the stria vascularis and the spiral ganglion were quantified at the light microscopical level...
- Cisplatin ototoxicity involves organ of Corti, stria vascularis and spiral ganglion: modulation by alphaMSH and ORG 2766Frank P T Hamers
Hearing Research Laboratories, Department of Oto Rhino Laryngology, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Audiol Neurootol 8:305-15. 2003..Both OHC loss and neuronal function were ameliorated by peptide cotreatment...
- Cochleosaccular dysplasia: a morphometric and histopathologic study in a series of temporal bonesAndre L L Sampaio
Brasilia University Medical School Capes, Fulbright Scholarship, Brasilia, Brazil
Otol Neurotol 25:530-5. 2004..The objective of this study was to perform a morphometric analysis of a series of temporal bones with cochleosaccular dysplasia to clarify the extent of inner ear changes in this disease...
- Alterations in the stria vascularis in relation to cisplatin ototoxicity and recoverySteven Sluyter
Hearing Research Laboratories, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Room G 02 531, P O Box 85 500, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Hear Res 185:49-56. 2003..of the endocochlear potential (EP), and its subsequent recovery, possesses a morphological correlate in the stria vascularis. Guinea pigs implanted with round window electrodes were treated daily with cisplatin (1...
- [Distribution of calcitonin gene-related peptide in guinea pig cochlea]Benming Qi
Department of Otolaryngology, First People s Hospital of Yunnan Province, Kunming, 650001, China
Lin Chuang Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi 18:41-2. 2004..To observe the distribution of CGRP in guinea pig cochlea...
- Ultrastructural changes in the albino guinea pig cochlea at different survival times following cessation of 8-day cisplatin administrationRemco M Cardinaal
Hearing Research Laboratories, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Acta Otolaryngol 124:144-54. 2004To investigate the effect of cisplatin administration on the ultrastructural morphology of the organ of Corti, stria vascularis and spiral ganglion.
- Induction of heat shock protein 32 (Hsp32) in the rat cochlea following hyperthermiaDamon A Fairfield
Kresge Hearing Research Institute, Department of Otolaryngology Head Neck Surgery, University of Michigan, 1301 East Ann Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0506, USA
Hear Res 188:1-11. 2004..Following heat shock Hsp32 is upregulated in outer hair cells and the cells of the stria vascularis. These results suggest a potential role for Hsp32 as a component of the oxidative stress response pathway in ..
- Effects of type 2 diabetes mellitus on cochlear structure in humansHisaki Fukushima
International Hearing Foundation, Department of Otolaryngology, Otitis Media Research Center, University of Minnesota, and Minnesota Ear, Head and Neck Clinic, Minneapolis, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 132:934-8. 2006..To evaluate the effects of type 2 diabetes mellitus on cochlear elements in humans...
- Upregulation of HSP by geranylgeranylacetone protects the cochlear lateral wall from endotoxin-induced inflammationMichihiko Sone
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, 65 Tsurumai Cho, Showa Ku, Nagoya 466 8550, Japan
Hear Res 204:140-6. 2005..Positive immunohistochemical staining of HSP70 was observed in the hair cells, the spiral ganglion, the stria vascularis, the spiral ligament, and the perivascular portion of modiolar vessels...
- Endocytosis of microperoxidase in the marginal cells of stria vascularisAkinobu Kakigi
Department of Otolaryngology, Kochi Medical School, Nankoku, Kochi 783 8505, Japan
Auris Nasus Larynx 34:39-43. 2007..We investigated the basic properties of endocytosis in the marginal cells of stria vascularis (SV) to discuss whether marginal cells have a potential to maintain the endolymph homeostasis.
- Temporal bone histopathologic abnormalities associated with mitochondrial mutation T7511CKotaro Ishikawa
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Jichi Medical University School of Medicine, Shimotsuke, Tochigi, Japan
Laryngoscope 116:1982-6. 2006..However, the temporal bone histopathology associated with T7511C has not been reported. The aim of the present study is to report histopathologic findings of a temporal bone from a patient in the Japanese family with this mutation...
- Localization of prosaposin in rat cochleaTakehiro Terashita
Department of Basic Medical Research and Education, Ehime University School of Medicine, Shitsukawa, Toon, Ehime, Japan
Neurosci Res 57:372-8. 2007..Intense prosaposin immunoreactivity was observed in the organ of Corti, stria vascularis, and spiral ganglion...
- Malformation of stria vascularis in the developing inner ear of the German waltzing guinea pigZhe Jin
Center for Hearing and Communication Research, Karolinska University Hospital, Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Cell Tissue Res 328:257-70. 2007..The embryonic stria vascularis, consisting of a simple epithelium, failed to transform into the complex trilaminar tissue seen in normal ..
- Anti-clarin-1 AAV-delivered ribozyme induced apoptosis in the mouse cochleaA A Aarnisalo
Department Otorhinolaryngology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Hear Res 230:9-16. 2007..of varying fluorescence intensity throughout the length of the cochlea in the outer and inner hair cells and stria vascularis, and to a lesser extent, in vestibular epithelial cells...
- Functional and morphological effects of fotemustine on the auditory system of the ratC Gocer
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Ankara Numune Hospital, Turkey
J Laryngol Otol 122:551-6. 2008..This study aimed to elucidate the potential inner-ear effects of fotemustine, a chemotherapeutic agent which crosses the blood-brain barrier and is used in the treatment of primary and metastatic brain tumours and metastatic melanoma...
- Spatiotemporal loss of K+ transport proteins in the developing cochlear lateral wall of guinea pigs with hereditary deafnessZhe Jin
Center for Hearing and Communication Research, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Neurosci 27:145-54. 2008..of the homozygous animals (gw/gw) revealed a collapse of the endolymphatic compartment and malformation of stria vascularis. RT-PCR showed a significant reduction in expression of the strial intermediate cell-specific gene Dct and ..
- Cellular localization of facilitated glucose transporter 1 (GLUT-1) in the cochlear stria vascularis: its possible contribution to the transcellular glucose pathwayMotonori Ando
Laboratory of Cell Physiology, Department of Science Education, Okayama University, Okayama, Japan
Cell Tissue Res 331:763-9. 2008Immunoreactivity for the facilitated glucose transporter 1 (GLUT-1) has been found in the cochlear stria vascularis, but whether the strial marginal cells are immunopositive for GLUT-1 remains uncertain...
- Age-related auditory pathology in the CBA/J mouseSu Hua Sha
Kresge Hearing Research Institute, Department of Otolaryngology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 5616, USA
Hear Res 243:87-94. 2008..There was no degeneration of the stria vascularis and the endocochlear potential remained stable from 3 to 25 months of age regardless of whether the animals ..
- Computational model of vectorial potassium transport by cochlear marginal cells and vestibular dark cellsImran H Quraishi
Department of Bioengineering, M S 142, Rice University, Houston, TX 77251 1892, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 292:C591-602. 2007..Such simulations demonstrate the utility of compartmental modeling in investigating the role of ion homeostasis in inner ear physiology and pathology...
- Age-dependent degeneration of the stria vascularis in human cochleaeTeruhisa Suzuki
Department of Otolaryngology, Fukushima Medical University, School of Medicine, Fukushima, Japan
Laryngoscope 116:1846-50. 2006Aging is a common cause of acquired hearing impairments. This study investigated age-related morphologic changes in human cochleae, with a particular focus on degeneration of the stria vascularis (SV) and the spiral ganglion (SG).
- The cochlear targets of cisplatin: an electrophysiological and morphological time-sequence studyMarjolein W M van Ruijven
Hearing Research Laboratories, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University Medical Center Utrecht, P O Box 85 500, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Hear Res 205:241-8. 2005Cisplatin ototoxicity has at least three major targets in the cochlea: the stria vascularis, the organ of Corti, and the spiral ganglion. This study aims to differentiate between these three targets...
- NF-kappaB is required for survival of immature auditory hair cells in vitroIvana Nagy
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Zurich, Frauenklinikstr 24, CH 8091, Zurich, Switzerland
J Assoc Res Otolaryngol 6:260-8. 2005..In view of our results, it seems likely that NF-kappaB may participate in normal hair cell function...
- Transient receptor potential channels in the inner ear: presence of transient receptor potential channel subfamily 1 and 4 in the guinea pig inner earMasaya Takumida
Department of Otolaryngology, Hiroshima University Faculty of Medicine, Hiroshima, Japan
Acta Otolaryngol 125:929-34. 2005..The results of this study indicate that transient receptor potential subfamily 1 (TRPV1) may play a functional role in sensory cell physiology and that TRPV4 may be important for fluid homeostasis in the inner ear...
- Collagen changes in the cochlea of aged Fischer 344 ratsDaniela Buckiova
Department of Auditory Neuroscience, Institute of Experimental Medicine, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Videnska 1083, 142 20 Prague 4, Czech Republic
Exp Gerontol 41:296-302. 2006..in the organ of Corti, consisting of a damaged layer of marginal cells, reduced vascularization of the stria vascularis and a distorted tectorial membrane detached from the organ of Corti...
- Expression of CLC-K chloride channels in the rat cochleaChunyan Qu
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, 165 Ashley Avenue, Suite 309, P O Box 250908, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Hear Res 213:79-87. 2006..cells and type II spiral ligament fibrocytes and the third is between intermediate and marginal cells in the stria vascularis. K+ taken up by cells bordering these interstitial spaces is accompanied by Cl-...
- Intratympanic injection of dexamethasone: time course of inner ear distribution and conversion to its active formChristopher A Hargunani
Oregon Hearing Research Center, Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97201 3998, USA
Otol Neurotol 27:564-9. 2006..Intratympanically injected dexamethasone 21-phosphate is converted to its active form dexamethasone in the inner ear and follows the distribution of the glucocorticoid receptor...
- Auditory function and cochlear morphology in the German waltzing guinea pigZhe Jin
Center for Hearing and Communication Research, Karolinska Institutet, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Hear Res 219:74-84. 2006..Melanin pigment accumulation was clearly observed in the gw/gw stria vascularis, and both the height and width of stria vascularis were significantly reduced...
- Multichannel cochlear implants: relation of histopathology to performanceJose N Fayad
House Clinic and Department of Histopathology, House Ear Institute, 2122 W 3rd Street, Los Angeles, CA 90057, USA
Laryngoscope 116:1310-20. 2006..To determine the relationship of surviving neural elements to auditory function in multichannel cochlear implant temporal bones...
- Histopathology of the inner ear relevant to cochlear implantationJoseph B Nadol
Department of Otology and Laryngology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass, USA
Adv Otorhinolaryngol 64:31-49. 2006..Rupture of the basilar membrane may occur. Over time, new bone forms at the cochleostomy and along the implant track. Further investigation is necessary to evaluate the causes of variability of behavioral measures of performance...
- Endocochlear potential depends on Cl- channels: mechanism underlying deafness in Bartter syndrome IVGesa Rickheit
Leibniz Institut fur Molekulare Pharmakologie, Max Delbrück Centrum für Molekulare Medizin MDC, Berlin, Germany
EMBO J 27:2907-17. 2008..concentration, of the scala media depends on the presence of these channels in the epithelium of the stria vascularis. The reduced driving force for K(+)-entry through mechanosensitive channels into sensory hair cells entails a ..
- Distribution of gentamicin in the guinea pig inner ear after local or systemic applicationShun ichi Imamura
Department of Otolaryngology, Shinshu University School of Medicine, 3 1 1 Asahi, Matsumoto, Nagano 390 8621, Japan
J Assoc Res Otolaryngol 4:176-95. 2003..was unusually intense staining for gentamicin in root cells of the spiral ligament, in marginal cells of the stria vascularis, and in cells of the spiral limbus...
- Transgene expression in mature guinea pig cochlear cells in vitroTatsuya Yamasoba
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Tokyo, Hongo 7 3 1, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8655, Japan
Neurosci Lett 335:13-6. 2002..We found many lacZ-positive cells in a variety of tissues including the spiral ganglion and stria vascularis. Transgene expression was also found in the outer hair cells and supporting cells, such as the Deiters cells ..
- Mechanisms of photoinduced cochlear ischemia in the guinea pigH Saito
Department of Otolaryngology, Saiseikai Utsunomiya Hospital, Utsunomiya, Tokyo, Japan
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 63:148-54. 2001..A histological study revealed thrombus formation in the vessels of the irradiated cochlea not only in the stria vascularis and the spiral ligament, but also in the modiolus...
- The transmembrane serine protease (TMPRSS3) mutated in deafness DFNB8/10 activates the epithelial sodium channel (ENaC) in vitroMichel Guipponi
Division of Medical Genetics, University of Geneva Medical School, and Geneva University Hospitals, Switzerland
Hum Mol Genet 11:2829-36. 2002..revealed that Tmprss3 is expressed in the spiral ganglion, the cells supporting the organ of Corti and the stria vascularis. RT-PCR on mouse tissues showed expression in the thymus, stomach, testis and E19 embryos...
- Ethacrynic acid rapidly and selectively abolishes blood flow in vessels supplying the lateral wall of the cochleaDalian Ding
Center for Hearing and Deafness, 215 Parker Hall, University at Buffalo, NY 14214, USA
Hear Res 173:1-9. 2002..Previous studies have focused on morphologic and enzymatic changes in the stria vascularis. The current experiment shows that one of the earliest effects of EA is ischemia, resulting from impaired ..
- Mineralocorticoid type I receptor in the rat cochlea: mRNA identification by polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and in situ hybridizationH Furuta
Department of Otolaryngology, Kagawa Medical School, Japan
Hear Res 78:175-80. 1994..In situ hybridization showed the expression of MR mRNA in marginal cells of the stria vascularis, suggesting that aldosterone may regulate microhomeostasis of the endolymph, presumably by modulating Na, K-..
- Deafness in mice lacking the T-box transcription factor Tbx18 in otic fibrocytesMark Oliver Trowe
Institut fur Molekularbiologie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Development 135:1725-34. 2008..Tissue architecture of the stria vascularis of the lateral wall was disrupted, exhibiting an almost complete absence of the basal cell layer, and a ..
- Comparative cochlear toxicities of streptomycin, gentamicin, amikacin and netilmicin in guinea-pigsS Kalkandelen
Department of Otolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, Erzurum, Turkey
J Int Med Res 30:406-12. 2002..No statistically significant difference between the severity of cochlear damage resulting from the systemic and topical applications was detected...
- Muscarinic receptor subtypes are differentially distributed in the rat cochleaK M Khan
Laboratory of Bio Otology, Department of Otolaryngology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 259 Lande Medical Research Building, 540 E Canfield Ave, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Neuroscience 111:291-302. 2002..In the lateral wall, weak to moderate staining was detected for M5 in the stria vascularis corresponding in position to the basolateral extensions of marginal cells...
- Connexins and gap junctions in the inner earAndrew Forge
UCL Centre for Auditory Research and Institute of Laryngology and Otology, UCL, London, UK
Audiol Neurootol 7:141-5. 2002....
- Ultrastructural and physiological defects in the cochlea of the Mpv17 mouse strain. A comparison between young and old adult animalsA M Meyer zum Gottesberge
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Heinrich Heine University of Dusseldorf, Germany
Hear Res 156:69-80. 2001..patchy arranged throughout the entire length of the cochlea and involved the organ of Corti as well as the stria vascularis epithelia with alterations of the basement membrane of the capillaries...
- Localization of nitric oxide synthase isoforms in the human cochleaR Popa
Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Uppsala University Hospital, Sweden
Acta Otolaryngol 121:454-9. 2001..Furthermore, the supporting cells of the organ of Corti and the stria vascularis showed a fluorescent reaction to NOS I...
- Selective aspects of human pathology in high-tone hearing loss of the aging inner earA W Scholtz
Department of Otolarynology, University of Innsbruck, Austria
Hear Res 157:77-86. 2001..micrographs demonstrate ultrastructural changes in the cuticular plate, stereocilia, pillar cells, stria vascularis, and the spiral ligament...
- Ultrastructural effects of hypercholesterolemia on the cochleaB Satar
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, , 06010 Etlik-Ankara, Turkey
Otol Neurotol 22:786-9. 2001..The pathologic changes in the basal turn and the stria vascularis were qualitatively prominent in comparison with those of the apical turn and the outer hair cell...
- TUNEL-positive labeling in mouse inner ear caused by tubulin immunization is not apoptosisXiaoping Du
Department of Medicine, Division of Allergy and Immunology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tenn 38163, USA
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 65:17-21. 2003..The positive cells are the marginal cells in the stria vascularis, and the hair cells in Corti's organ and the saccule...
- Scheibe dysplasiaSebahattin Cureoglu
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, USA
Otol Neurotol 24:125-6. 2003
- Bumetanide-induced enlargement of the intercellular space in the stria vascularis requires an active Na+-K+-ATPaseHiroshi Azuma
Department of Otolaryngology, Kochi Medical School, Nankoku, Japan
Acta Otolaryngol 122:816-21. 2002Loop diuretics such as bumetanide and furosemide cause an acute enlargement of the intrastrial space of the stria vascularis, with an associated decline in the endocochlear DC potential (EP)...
- Expression of midkine in the cochleaX Q Jia
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Nagoya University School of Medicine, Japan
Hear Res 160:10-4. 2001..Anti-MK immunoreactivity was observed in the stria vascularis, spiral prominence, spiral ganglion, and ganglion nerve fibers...
- Proteoglycan arrays in the cochlear basement membraneV Tsuprun
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Minnesota, Lions Research Bldg, 2001 Sixth St SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Hear Res 157:65-76. 2001..ligament, Reissner's membrane, myelinated nerve fibers, and blood capillaries of the spiral ligament and stria vascularis in the chinchilla cochlea...
- Potassium ion recycling pathway via gap junction systems in the mammalian cochlea and its interruption in hereditary nonsyndromic deafnessT Kikuchi
Department of Otolaryngology, Nagasaki University School of Medicine, 1 7 1 Sakamoto, Nagasaki 852 8501, Japan
Med Electron Microsc 33:51-6. 2000..Within this system, the K+ ions pass through the tight junctional barrier of the stria vascularis and are released within the intrastrial extracellular space...
- Localization and developmental expression of BK channels in mammalian cochlear hair cellsA Hafidi
Laboratoire de Biologie Cellulaire et Moleculaire de l Audition, EA 3665, Universite de Bordeaux 2, Laboratoire de Biologie Cellulaire et Moleculaire de l Audition, CHU Hôpital Pellegrin, 33076 Bordeaux, France
Neuroscience 130:475-84. 2005..immunoreactivity in all cells bordering the scala media (supporting and hair cells of the organ of Corti, the stria vascularis and the Reissner's membrane) in the following stages (postnatal day [P] 0 and P6)...
- The effect of deafness duration on neurotrophin gene therapy for spiral ganglion neuron protectionAndrew K Wise
The Bionic Ear Institute, 384 388 Albert Street, East Melbourne, Victoria 3002, Australia
Hear Res 278:69-76. 2011..Supporting cells (pillar and Deiters' cells), cells within the stria vascularis, the spiral ligament, endosteal cells lining the scala compartments and interdental cells in the spiral ..
- Transplatin: A Novel Agent to Mitigate Cisplatin ToxicityVickram Ramkumar; Fiscal Year: 2013..ROS mediate damage to the outer hair cells (OHCs), stria vascularis (SV) and spiral ganglion cells (SGCs)...
- Matrix OtopathologyMICHAEL ANNE NMI GRATTON; Fiscal Year: 2011..aspects of peripheral auditory function as well as the electrochemical and ion transport properties of the stria vascularis are measured to determine changes in the homeostasis of the stria and scala media...
- The Role of Eya4 in Hearing and DiseaseJonathan G Seidman; Fiscal Year: 2010..Eya4-/- ears have significant abnormalities of the stria vascularis and hair cells by 1-month post birth...
- The role of cochlear pericytes in control of cochlear microcirculationXiao Rui Shi; Fiscal Year: 2009..We have previously found a high density of pericytes on the capillaries of the cochlear lateral wall: in the stria vascularis and spiral ligament. We hypothesize that they regulate cochlear microcirculation through their contraction...
- Occupational exposure to manganese and noise potentiate hearing lossRichard J Salvi; Fiscal Year: 2013..by Mn, noise and the combination of Mn plus noise;this will be accomplished by assessing degeneration of the stria vascularis, hair cells and SGN death...
- Perivascular macrophages endothelial interactions at the blood labyrinth barrierXiao Rui Shi; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The blood-labyrinth barrier (BLB) in the stria vascularis of the cochlea maintains endocochlear potential, ion transport, and fluid balance in the inner ear...
- Ameliorating systemic gentamicin uptake by sensory hair cellsPETER STEPHEN STEYGER; Fiscal Year: 2013..data indicate that systemically-delivered gentamicin is trafficked from the strial vasculature, across the stria vascularis, into endolymph prior to hair-cell uptake...
- Cochlear trafficking and hair cell uptake of aminoglycosidesPETER STEPHEN STEYGER; Fiscal Year: 2013..data suggest that systemically-delivered gentamicin is trafficked from the strial vasculature, across the stria vascularis, into endolymph prior to hair-cell uptake. We have identified a candidate aminoglycoside transporter...
- Developmental patterning of the cochleaTakahiro Ohyama; Fiscal Year: 2013..In Specific Aim 2 we will determine the roles of Fgf10 signaling in the development of the stria vascularis and Reissner's membrane...
- Does strial microischemia enhance cochlear aminoglycoside ototoxicityHongzhe Li; Fiscal Year: 2013..or hypertension modulates cochlear blood flow, causing temporary and reversible microischemia in the stria vascularis. Strial microischemia is characterized by irregularity in vessel diameters and elevated permeability, i.e...
- DEAFNESS AND OSSIFICATION IN LABYRINTHITIS OSSIFICANSHilary Brodie; Fiscal Year: 2004..and the histopathology of cochlear tissues: spiral ganglion, organ of Corti, Reissner's membrane, stria vascularis, and spiral ligament; (3) to determine the relationship of bone lining cells to osteoblast formation and ..
- Functional similarities in renal and cochlear epitheliaPETER STEYGER; Fiscal Year: 2004..Distal tubule cells share several characteristics with inner ear epithelia such as the marginal cells of the stria vascularis. We will use a clone of MDCK cells, a distal tubule line, to determine the feasibility of using distal tubule ..
- IMPROVED STEROID THERAPY FOR HEARING LOSSDennis Trune; Fiscal Year: 2000..Recent studies from a variety of laboratories have shown that stria vascularis fluid accumulation occurs with autoimmune sensorineural hearing loss, drug ototoxicity, steroid deficiencies, ..
- PIGMENT INFLUENCES ON AUDITORY STRUCTURE & FUNCTIONJOHN CONLEE; Fiscal Year: 1992..Melanocytes comprise one of at least three principal cell types in the stria vascularis of the cochlea and it is not known how these pigment cells interact with other strial components in the fluid ..
- Role of Natriuretic Peptides in the CochleaGeorge Trachte; Fiscal Year: 2004..In the inner ear, components of the NP system have been localized to the stria vascularis and spiral ganglion, but there are few functional studies of NPs...
- ID OF THE MOUSE DEAFNESS (DN) GENE ON CHROMOSOME 19Bronya Keats; Fiscal Year: 2002..is an autosomal recessive mutant of the curly-tail (CT) stock showing degeneration of the organ of Corti, stria vascularis, and the saccular macula...
- MITOCHONDRIAL DNA IN AGING HUMAN COCHLEASElizabeth Keithley; Fiscal Year: 1999..g. spiral ganglion cells and stria vascularis) and age- related mitochondrial changes and cell loss...
- Aminoglycoside uptake and clearance in mammalian cellsTakatoshi Karasawa; Fiscal Year: 2007..A TRPV channel, TRPV4, is expressed at the luminal membrane of marginal and endothelial cells in the stria vascularis. TRPV4 could allow aminoglycosides to enter endothelial cells from the blood, and exit marginal cells into ..
- FLOW CYTOMETER WITH CELL SORTING CAPABILITYRAM TEWARI; Fiscal Year: 1992..Rybak will develop and characterize epithelial cell lines from stria vascularis of the cochlear duct...
- Prevention and Treatment of Age-Related Hearing LossDonald Henderson; Fiscal Year: 2007..The cochleas will then be harvested and morphological measures of sensory cell, VIII nerve cell bodies and stria vascularis will be done...
- EFFECTS OF AGING ON AUDITORY SPIRAL GANGLION CELLSElizabeth Keithley; Fiscal Year: 1991..have also shown the loss of sensory and neural cells within the cochlea and brainstem and atrophy of the stria vascularis in old animals...
- Hearing loss in claudin 11-null miceAlexander Gow; Fiscal Year: 2007The long term goals of this project are to define the functions of tight junctions in Stria vascularis of the inner ear and to determine if the diversity of Claudin family members that comprise fight junctions located around Scala media ..
- AUDITORY ANATOMY IN AGING RATS WITH EXTENDED LIFESPANSMartin Feldman; Fiscal Year: 1991..microscopy, age- related changes will be analyzed in the sensory hair cells, synapses, spiral ganglion cells, stria vascularis, and blood vessels of the cortex...
- Genetic Modulation of Noise Injury to the Cochlear Lateral WallKEVIN OHLEMILLER; Fiscal Year: 2007..CBA/J mice show a reduction in the endocochlear potential (EP), as well as characteristic pathology within stria vascularis, spiral ligament, and spiral limbus...
- Genetic Modulation of Noise Injury to the Cochlear Lateral WallKEVIN OHLEMILLER; Fiscal Year: 2009..CBA/J mice show a reduction in the endocochlear potential (EP), as well as characteristic pathology within stria vascularis, spiral ligament, and spiral limbus...
- COCHLEAR VULNERABILITY/REACTIVE OXYGEN SPECIESKEVIN OHLEMILLER; Fiscal Year: 2003..Our experiments will establish how well the dynamics of ROS production predict cochlear injury, and whether progressive deafness genes may impair cochlear ROS regulation. ..
- GDNF Protection in the Inner EarYehoash Raphael; Fiscal Year: 2005..The data we propose to generate will enhance our understanding of the mechanisms of action of GDNF in normal and injured inner ear epithelia, knowledge that may eventually lead to better clinical treatments ..
- SYMPOSIA FOR ASSOCIATION FOR RESEARCH IN OTOLARYNGOLOGYElizabeth Keithley; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Otitis Media Impact on the Inner EarDennis Trune; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Physiological Studies of Age-Related Hearing LossRICHARD SCHMIEDT; Fiscal Year: 2007..A major factor in human and animal presbyacusis is the degeneration of the cochlear lateral wall tissues and stria vascularis. These tissues supply energy to the organ of Corti in the form of the endocochlear potential (EP)...
- CYTOSOLIC REGULATION OF INNER EAR ION TRANSPORTA PHILINE WANGEMANN; Fiscal Year: 2007..path of potassium cycling that leads from the hair cells in the organ of Corti to strial marginal cells in stria vascularis Under Specific Aim 2, we will detelmine the subunit composition of the potassium channels KCNQ1 in strial ..
- INNER EAR IMMUNE RESPONSESElizabeth Keithley; Fiscal Year: 2002..Such knowledge will enable clinicians to improve the treatments administered to patients who experience the unfortunate and potentially devastating trauma of rapidly progressing sensorineural hearing loss. ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF A MIDDLE EAR BALLOON IMPLANTSAUMIL MERCHANT; Fiscal Year: 2003..There is a large market potential for this implant, estimated at over 65,000 devices annually in the U.S. alone. ..
- Deafness Research Foundation Clinical Research WorkshopGEORGE GATES; Fiscal Year: 2003..Fellowships will be available for attendees with a demonstrated commitment to clinical research as evidenced by a preliminary research project and letters of support in their applications. ..
- Cellular regeneration in the organ of CortiJonathan Kil; Fiscal Year: 2003..This will facilitate the development of pharmacologic means to improve and restore hearing through regeneration of sensory cells in the cochlea over that which has been observed with antisense oligonucleotides. ..
- Barany Society XXII Regular Meeting, Seattle, WA USAGEORGE GATES; Fiscal Year: 2002..e., hair cell regeneration vs. development of a vestibular prosthesis. Younger scientists will have the opportunity to present their own work in either the platform or poster session. ..
- GENETICS OF A NEW MOUSE MODEL FOR DEAFNESSQing Zheng; Fiscal Year: 2002..Aim 2. Construct a physical contig of YACS and BACS clones across the minimal genetic region. Aim 3. Fully characterize the development and pathology of inner ears from hml/hml mice compared with hml/+ and +/+ controls. ..
- Presbycusis: Biomedical Risk FactorsGEORGE GATES; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Deafness Research Foundation Clinical Research WorkshopGEORGE GATES; Fiscal Year: 2004..Attendees will be physicians and clinicians in communication disorders, such as audiologists and speech/language pathologists. Fellowships will be available for attendees. ..
- Mouse Cochlea DatabasePeter Santi; Fiscal Year: 2003..For future development, anatomical and bibliographic information within the MCD can be hypertext linked to the rapid growth of genomic information on normal and mutant mouse strains that are relevant to hearing research. ..
- Development of the Mouse Cochlea DatabasePETER ALAN SANTI; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- DEVELOPMENTAL STUDIES OF COCHLEAR MECHANICSDavid Mills; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Vestibular Pathology in Meniere's DiseaseAkira Ishiyama; Fiscal Year: 2007..or with alterations in neuronal number or size? 6) What are the morphometric correlates to abnormalities on traditional vestibular testing: caloric paresis, and decreased gain and time constant on step rotational testing? ..
- Transcriptome and Proteome Analysis of Mouse Inner EarsQing Zheng; Fiscal Year: 2007..Genes, proteins and their molecular pathways identified in this proposed research are potential targets of drug therapies for hearing loss that affects more than 28 million Americans. ..
- Ion Transport Mechanisms in Type I FibrocytesZhijun Shen; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- MOLECULAR BASIS OF VESTIBULAR EFFERENT FUNCTIONP Ashley Wackym; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- 2008 Conference on Cell Replacement in the Inner EarGEORGE GATES; Fiscal Year: 2008..hair cells in inner ear sensory epithelia; however, other ailments of the inner ear, including changes in the stria vascularis, also lead to hearing deficits...
- ENVIRONMENT INFLUENCES UPON AUDITORY DEVELOPMENTAllen Ryan; Fiscal Year: 2006..1, and of Brn-3.1 domains that are critical for hair cell development and survival, are critical steps in understanding the role of this gene in inherited deafness. ..
- Deafness Research Foundation Clinical Research WorkshopGEORGE GATES; Fiscal Year: 2005..Attendees will be physicians and clinicians in communication disorders, such as audiologists and speech/language pathologists. Fellowships will be available for attendees. ..
- Conference on the Molecular Biology of Hearing/DeafnessAllen Ryan; Fiscal Year: 2004..Partial support is requested to defray travel costs of invited participants and to permit a registration fee low enough to encourage participation by junior faculty, postdoctoral fellows and students. ..