Genomes and Genes
Summary: The thin serous membrane enveloping the lungs (LUNG) and lining the THORACIC CAVITY. Pleura consist of two layers, the inner visceral pleura lying next to the pulmonary parenchyma and the outer parietal pleura. Between the two layers is the PLEURAL CAVITY which contains a thin film of liquid.
Publications231 found, 100 shown here
- Asbestos, carbon nanotubes and the pleural mesothelium: a review of the hypothesis regarding the role of long fibre retention in the parietal pleura, inflammation and mesotheliomaKen Donaldson
University of Edinburgh, Centre for Inflammation Research, Queens Medical Research Institute, 47 Little France Crescent, Edinburgh EH164TJ, UK
Part Fibre Toxicol 7:5. 2010..In the course of studying the potential impact of HARN on the pleura we have utilised the existing hypothesis regarding the role of the parietal pleura in the response to long fibres...
- Telocytes in pleura: two- and three-dimensional imaging by transmission electron microscopyMihail E Hinescu
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Carol Davila University of Medicine and Pharmacy, P O Box 35 29, Bucharest, 35, Romania
Cell Tissue Res 343:389-97. 2011..Our aim has been to examine whether telocytes (TCs) are present in pleura, as in epicardium and mesentery...
- Length-dependent retention of carbon nanotubes in the pleural space of mice initiates sustained inflammation and progressive fibrosis on the parietal pleuraFiona A Murphy
University of Edinburgh Medical Research Council, the Centre for Inflammation Research, Queen s Medical Research Institute, Edinburgh, UK
Am J Pathol 178:2587-600. 2011..CNTs and long asbestos was characterized by acute inflammation, leading to progressive fibrosis on the parietal pleura, where stomata of strictly defined size limit the egress of long, but not short, fibers...
- Role of cyclopentenone prostaglandins in rat carrageenin pleurisyA Ianaro
Department of Experimental Pharmacology, University of Naples Federico II, Via Domenico Montesano 49, 80131 Naples, Italy
FEBS Lett 508:61-6. 2001....
- Quantification of the pathological response and fate in the lung and pleura of chrysotile in combination with fine particles compared to amosite-asbestos following short-term inhalation exposureD M Bernstein
Consultant in Toxicology, Geneva, Switzerland
Inhal Toxicol 23:372-91. 2011..Subgroups were examined through 1 year. The translocation to and pathological response in the pleura was examined by scanning electron microscopy and confocal microscopy (CM) using noninvasive methods...
- Immunological mechanisms in pleural diseaseV B Antony
Indiana University School of Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, RL Roudebush VA Medical Center, 1481 West 10th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Eur Respir J 21:539-44. 2003..The pleura, because of its intimate proximity to the lung, is positioned to respond to inflammatory changes in the lung ..
- Expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase in healthy pleura and in malignant mesotheliomaY Soini
Departments of Pathology and Internal Medicine, University of Oulu and Oulu University Hospital, Oulu, Finland
Br J Cancer 83:880-6. 2000..The strong expression of iNOS suggests a putative role for NO in the growth and progression of these tumours...
- Localized (solitary) fibrous tumors of the pleura: an analysis of 55 patientsG Cardillo
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Azienda Ospedaliera San Camillo Forlanini, Ospedale Carlo Forlanini, Rome, Italy
Ann Thorac Surg 70:1808-12. 2000Localized (solitary) fibrous tumors (LFTPs) of the pleura are rare, slow-growing neoplasms thought to originate from submesothelial connective tissue...
- Blockage of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) reduces experimental pleurodesisLisete R Teixeira
Heart Institute InCor, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Brazil
Lung Cancer 74:392-5. 2011..We assessed the influence of the anti-VEGF antibody (bevacizumab) on pleurodesis induced by talc or silver nitrate and analyzed the temporal development of pleural angiogenesis...
- Pleurodesis is inhibited by anti-vascular endothelial growth factor antibodyYubiao B Guo
Department of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, First Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat sen University, Guangzhou, ROC
Chest 128:1790-7. 2005..This study investigated whether anti-vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) antibody has any effect on the fluid production or the pleurodesis induced by TGF-beta2...
- Immune response to Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in the parietal pleura of patients with tuberculous pleurisyGaetano Caramori
Section of Respiratory Diseases, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
PLoS ONE 6:e22637. 2011The T lymphocyte-mediated immune response to Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in the parietal pleura of patients with tuberculous pleurisy is unknown...
- Pleural tuberculosis in the United States: incidence and drug resistanceMichael H Baumann
2500 North State St, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS 39216 4505, USA
Chest 131:1125-32. 2007..The diagnostic approach is under debate. Knowledge of pleural TB epidemiology would be beneficial. To help clarify pleural TB epidemiology, we analyzed US national TB surveillance data for 1993 to 2003...
- A₃ receptors are overexpressed in pleura from patients with mesothelioma and reduce cell growth via Akt/nuclear factor-κB pathwayKatia Varani
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Pharmacology Unit, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 183:522-30. 2011..Adenosine plays a key role in inflammatory processes and cancer, where it is involved in the regulation of cell death and proliferation...
- Respiratory dysfunction after coronary artery bypass grafting employing bilateral internal mammary arteries: the influence of intact pleuraM Bonacchi
Cattedra of Cardiac Surgery, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 19:827-33. 2001....
- Pleural infection: what we need to know but don'tClaire L Tobin
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Sir Charles Gairdner, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Curr Opin Pulm Med 18:321-5. 2012..Despite advances in modern healthcare, the rising incidence and mortality of empyema highlights a need for better understanding of the disease and more effective strategies in its diagnosis and treatment...
- Cytokeratin-positive malignant solitary fibrous tumour of the pleura: an unusual pitfall in the diagnosis of pleural spindle cell neoplasmsA Cavazza
Histopathology 43:606-8. 2003
- AAVrh.10-mediated genetic delivery of bevacizumab to the pleura to provide local anti-VEGF to suppress growth of metastatic lung tumorsM Watanabe
Department of Genetic Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY 10065, USA
Gene Ther 17:1042-51. 2010..effectively suppresses the growth of metastatic lung tumors, suggesting AAV-mediated gene transfer to the pleura to deliver bevacizumab locally to the lung as a novel alternative platform to conventional monoclonal antibody ..
- Preservation of pleural integrity during coronary artery bypass surgery affects respiratory functions and postoperative pain: a prospective studyBilgehan Savas Oz
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Turkey
Can Respir J 13:145-9. 2006..To evaluate the role of preserved pleural integrity in postoperative pain and respiratory functional status in patients undergoing coronary revascularization...
- Imaging the pleuraChloe Mortensen
Department of Radiology, Southmead Hospital, Bristol BS10 5NB, UK
Br J Hosp Med (Lond) 73:626-32. 2012..In response, the field of pleural imaging has advanced in recent years, especially with regard to ultrasound. Salient multimodality imaging techniques are discussed...
- Transthoracic ultrasound of lung and pleura in the diagnosis of pulmonary embolism: a novel non-invasive bedside approachAngelika Reissig
Pneumology and Allergology Division, Department I, Medical University Clinics, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Respiration 70:441-52. 2003..bedside approach which is based on (1) detecting alterations in the lung parenchyma, (2) involvement of the pleura and (3) peripheral perfusion characteristics associated with thromboembolism. Using a 5 MHz or 3...
- Transforming growth factor beta2 induced pleurodesis is not inhibited by corticosteroidsY C Lee
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, St Thomas Hospital and Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Thorax 56:643-8. 2001Talc and tetracyclines induce pleurodesis by directly injuring the pleura. The injury results in intense inflammation which subsequently leads to fibrosis. Corticosteroids can inhibit talc pleurodesis by reducing the inflammatory process...
- Sonography of lung and pleura in pulmonary embolism: sonomorphologic characterization and comparison with spiral CT scanningA Reissig
Department of Pneumology, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Chest 120:1977-83. 2001..The present study investigates the clinical utility of transthoracic sonography (TS) for the diagnosis of PE and compares the data obtained with the technique to those obtained by spiral CT (sCT) scanning...
- The relation of the pleural thickening in tuberculosis pleurisy with the activity of adenosine deaminaseB Uskul
Department of Pulmonology, SSK Sureyyapasa Center for Chest Diseases and Thoracic Surgery, Istanbul, Turkey
Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 63:101-7. 2005....
- Effects of pleurotomy on respiratory sequelae after internal mammary artery harvestingHikmet Iyem
The Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
Tex Heart Inst J 33:116-21. 2006..retrospective study to evaluate the effects on postoperative pulmonary function of pleural integrity versus opened pleura, in patients who receive a left internal mammary artery graft...
- Novel biodegradable powder for preventing postoperative pleural adhesionKatsunori Takagi
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Translational Medical Sciences, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Sakamoto 1 7 1, Nagasaki 852 8501, Japan
J Surg Res 179:e13-9. 2013..The aim of this study was to investigate the anti-adhesive effects of commercially available anti-adhesive agents and a newly developed powder-type anti-adhesive agent...
- The application of cold-plasma coagulation on the visceral pleura results in a predictable depth of necrosis without fistula generationMartin Hoffmann
Department of Surgery Thoracic Surgery, University Clinic of Schleswig Holstein, Luebeck, Germany
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 14:239-43. 2012..05). The application of cold-plasma coagulation to the pulmonary surface is safe in pigs. A potential clinical application of this technique is treatment of malignant pleural mesothelioma...
- A novel technique to prevent intra-operative pneumothorax in awake coronary artery bypass grafting: biomaterial neo-pleuraYosuke Kato
Department of General and Cardiothoracic Surgery, Kanazawa University, Takaramachi 13 1, Kanazawa, 920 8641, Japan
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 35:37-41. 2009Pneumothorax caused by damaged pleura represents the biggest obstacle in awake coronary artery bypass grafting. In order to safely perform this surgery, a new technique was developed to close the damaged pleura.
- Parasitic diseases of the pleuraChitra Lal
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, Allergy and Sleep Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Am J Med Sci 345:385-9. 2013..Common parasites involving the pleura include Entamoeba histolytica, Echinococcus granulosus and Paragonimus westermani...
- Findings from high resolution computed tomography of the lung and pleura of symptom free workers exposed to amosite who had normal chest radiographs and pulmonary function testsS Neri
Postgraduate Occupational Medicine School, University of Pisa, Italy
Occup Environ Med 51:239-43. 1994..signs than for those with normal parenchyma and for the workers with pleural plaques than for those with normal pleura and lung parenchyma...
- Iodopovidone is as effective as doxycycline in producing pleurodesis in rabbitsYubiao Guo
Department of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, the First Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou 510080, China
Respirology 15:119-25. 2010..The mechanism by which iodopovidone achieves pleurodesis is unknown. This study investigated whether iodopovidone is as effective as doxycycline in producing pleurodesis and whether systemic corticosteroids diminish its efficacy...
- A new alternative for bony chest wall reconstruction using biomaterial artificial rib and pleura: animal experiment and clinical applicationLan jun Zhang
Department of Thoracic Surgery and State Key Laboratory of Oncology in South China, Sun Yat sen University Cancer Center, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 40:939-47. 2011To evaluate a new method for chest wall reconstruction using porcine-derived artificial rib and pleura in an animal experiment...
- Resident pleural macrophages are key orchestrators of neutrophil recruitment in pleural inflammationJean Francois Cailhier
Phagocyte Laboratory, MRC Center for Inflammation Research, University of Edinburgh, Teviot Place, Edinburgh, UK, EH8 9AG
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 173:540-7. 2006..The role played by resident pleural macrophages in the initiation of pleural inflammation is currently unclear...
- Transthoracic sonography of the lung and pleura in view of a suspected pulmonary embolism: a pilot studyKatia Mohn
Groupe d Etude de la Thrombose de Bretagne Occidentale, Department of Internal Medicine and Chest Diseases, Hopital de la Cavale Blanche, Brest, France
J Ultrasound Med 22:673-8; quiz 680-1. 2003..To evaluate the diagnostic performance of transthoracic sonography of the lung in view of an acute suspicion of pulmonary embolism...
- Prognostic features of residual pleural thickening in parapneumonic pleural effusionsD Jimenez Castro
Respiratory Dept, Zarzuela Clinic, Madrid, Spain
Eur Respir J 21:952-5. 2003..There are certain risk factors for the development of residual pleural thickening. However, this complication was not associated with long-term functional repercussions in the series of patients involved in this study...
- Residual pleural thickening is related to vascular endothelial growth factor levels in parapneumonic pleural effusionsAndriana I Papaioannou
Department of Respiratory Medicine, University of Thessaly Medical School, Larissa, Greece
Respiration 80:472-9. 2010..Pleural fluid vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) levels are known to be elevated in complicated parapneumonic effusion and seem to play a major role in the fibrotic process in the pleura.
- Mechanisms of pleurodesisFrancisco Rodriguez-Panadero
Unidad Médico Quirúrgica de Enfermedades Respiratorias, Hospital Universitario Virgen del Rocio, Instituto de Biomedicina de Sevilla, and CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias, Sevilla, Spain
Respiration 83:91-8. 2012Pleurodesis aims to obliterate the pleural space by producing extensive adhesion of the visceral and parietal pleura, in order to control relapse of either pleural effusions (mostly malignant) or pneumothorax...
- Preservation of pleural integrity in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting: effect on postoperative bleeding and respiratory functionIbrahim Goksin
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Pamukkale University Faculty of Medicine, Heart Center, Kinikli Denizli, Turkey
Acta Cardiol 61:89-94. 2006The purpose of this study was to evaluate the influence of preserved integrity of pleura on postoperative bleeding and respiratory function in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG).
- Chrysotile and tremolite asbestos fibres in the lungs and parietal pleura of Corsican goatsP Dumortier
Chest Department, CUB Hopital Erasme, 808 Route de Lennik, B1070 Brussels, Belgium
Occup Environ Med 59:643-6. 2002..Goats grazing in the contaminated areas inhale asbestos fibres. We used this natural animal model to study whether these exposures actually result in increased fibre burdens in the lungs and parietal pleura.
- BTS guidelines for the investigation of a unilateral pleural effusion in adultsN A Maskell
Oxford Centre for Respiratory Medicine, Churchill Hospital Site, Oxford Radcliffe Hospital, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LJ, UK
Thorax 58:ii8-17. 2003
- Perioperative feasibility of imaging the heart and pleura in patients with aortic stenosis undergoing aortic valve replacementC J Jakobsen
Aarhus University Hospital, Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Skejby, Aarhus, Denmark
Eur J Anaesthesiol 24:589-95. 2007..The aim of this study was to evaluate the feasibility of perioperative imaging of the heart and pleura according to the focused assessed transthoracic echocardiography protocol in patients scheduled for aortic valve ..
- Pathophysiology of the pleuraMichael A Jantz
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla, USA
Respiration 75:121-33. 2008..We will also review the processes involved in the pathogenesis of pleural fibrosis...
- Extranodal interdigitating dendritic cell sarcoma presenting in the pleura: a case reportHye Suk Han
Department of Internal Medicine, Chungbuk National University College of Medicine, Cheongju, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 26:304-7. 2011..The authors report a case of extranodal IDCS presenting in the pleura. A 32-yr-old man presented with progressive chest pain...
- Early mesothelial cell proliferation after asbestos exposure: in vivo and in vitro studiesI Y Adamson
Department of Pathology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
Environ Health Perspect 105:1205-8. 1997..The results show that an early growth phase of MC after asbestos exposure appears unrelated to particle translocation to the pleura but is associated with cytokine release, most likely KGF, by lung cells.
- Causes and management of pleural fibrosisJohn T Huggins
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Allergy and Clinical Immunology Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Respirology 9:441-7. 2004..Clinically significant pleural fibrosis requires involvement of the visceral pleura. Isolated parietal pleural fibrosis, as with asbestos pleural plaques, does not cause restriction or respiratory ..
- Yield of sputum induction in the diagnosis of pleural tuberculosisMarcus B Conde
Divisão de Tisiologia e Pneumologia, Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 167:723-5. 2003..6). The yield of sputum cultures obtained by SI is high in patients suspected of having pleural TB even in those cases with no pulmonary parenchymal abnormalities on the chest radiograph...
- Distribution of calibrated talc after intrapleural administration: an experimental study in ratsAnne Fraticelli
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, Hopital Sainte Marguerite, Marseille, France
Chest 122:1737-41. 2002..The animals were randomly assigned for autopsy at 24 or 72 h after pleural injection. Lungs, parietal pleura, diaphragm, liver, kidneys, spleen, pericardium, brain, and blood were assessed by polarized light for ..
- Diagnosis and treatment of malignant pleural effusion: a systematic literature review and new approachesGiuseppe Lombardi
Istituto Oncologico Veneto, IRCCS, Padova, Italy
Am J Clin Oncol 33:420-3. 2010..However, the correct treatment depends on several factors such as performance status, expected survival, presence of lung reexpansion following pleural drainage and comorbidities...
- Intrapleural administration of a serotype 5 adeno-associated virus coding for alpha1-antitrypsin mediates persistent, high lung and serum levels of alpha1-antitrypsinBishnu De
Belfer Gene Therapy Core Facility, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Mol Ther 10:1003-10. 2004..6-fold higher than the accepted therapeutic level of 570 microg/ml. In the context that the pleura is a safe site for administration, intrapleural administration using AAV5 vectors may represent an attractive gene ..
- Talc pleurodesis: basic fibroblast growth factor mediates pleural fibrosisVeena B Antony
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Florida, PO Box 100225, Gainesville, FL 32610 0225, USA
Chest 126:1522-8. 2004..We hypothesized that the intrapleural instillation of talc induces the pleural mesothelial production of basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF), which is responsible for pleural fibrosis...
- The pathological response and fate in the lung and pleura of chrysotile in combination with fine particles compared to amosite asbestos following short-term inhalation exposure: interim resultsD M Bernstein
Inhal Toxicol 22:937-62. 2010....
- Transforming growth factor beta induces vascular endothelial growth factor elaboration from pleural mesothelial cells in vivo and in vitroY C Gary Lee
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, St Thomas Hospital and Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37202, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 165:88-94. 2002..In conclusion, mesothelial cells are an important source of VEGF. TGF-beta increases the VEGF production by mesothelial cells in vivo and in vitro...
- Bacterial induction of pleural mesothelial monolayer barrier dysfunctionK A Mohammed
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 281:L119-25. 2001..Our results suggest that bacterial pathogens induce VEGF release in mesothelial cells and alter mesothelial permeability, leading to protein exudation in empyema...
- Chest radiography in the diagnosis of pneumoconiosisQ T Pham
Unité 420 INSERM, Faculte de Medecine, Vandoeuvre les Nancy, France
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 5:478-82. 2001..Report of a workshop on Occupational Lung Diseases, IUATLD Respiratory Disease Section, Bangkok 1998...
- Pleural mesothelial cells mediate inflammatory and profibrotic responses in talc-induced pleurodesisMilena Marques P Acencio
Heart Institute InCor, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Lung 185:343-8. 2007..We report that viable, talc-exposed, pleural mesothelial cells may actively mediate the primary inflammatory pleural response in talc-induced pleurodesis...
- Pathogenesis of pleural fibrosisSteven E Mutsaers
Centre for Asthma, Allergy and Respiratory Research, University of Western Australia, Australia
Respirology 9:428-40. 2004....
- Orally ingested chrysotile asbestos affects rat lungs and pleuraH Canan Hasanoglu
Division of Pulmonary Diseases, Ankara Ataturk Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Arch Environ Occup Health 63:71-5. 2008The authors designed this study to show the effects of orally ingested asbestos on the lungs and pleura. They designated 3 groups of rats: group A (n = 18) was given 1...
- Benign solitary fibrous tumour of the pleura: a clinical review and report of six casesFulvio Tagliabue
Department of Surgery, A Manzoni Hospital, Lecco
Chir Ital 57:649-53. 2005Primary tumours of the pleura are commonly divided into two major categories: diffuse and localised...
- Routine use of pleural fluid cultures. Are they indicated? Limited yield, minimal impact on treatment decisionsD Jimenez
Respiratory Department, Hospital Ramon y Cajal, Madrid, Spain
Respir Med 100:2048-52. 2006..In conclusion, this study demonstrates that, at least in our institution, routine microbial investigation of pleural fluid adds very little to the standard management of parapneumonic effusions...
- 'Black Spots' and hyaline pleural plaques on the parietal pleura of 150 urban necropsy casesKrassimir Mitchev
The Chest Department, Hospital Erasme, Université Libre de Buxelles, Brussels, Belgium
Am J Surg Pathol 26:1198-206. 2002The absence of any direct connection between the lung and the parietal pleura raises questions about the mechanisms of pleural migration and retention of inhaled particles...
- Diagnostic thoracoscopyC Boutin
Department of Pulmonology, Hopital de la Conception, Marseille, France
Clin Chest Med 19:295-309. 1998..This article focuses on the technique, indications, and results of medical thoracoscopy...
- Innate immune responses in murine pleural mesothelial cells: Toll-like receptor-2 dependent induction of beta-defensin-2 by staphylococcal peptidoglycanTajamul Hussain
Division of Pulmonary Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, HSC Room M452, College of Medicine, Univ of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 295:L461-70. 2008..Taken together, these data indicate that PMCs may contribute to host innate immune defense upon exposure to gram-positive bacteria or their products within the pleural space by upregulating TLR-2 and mBD-2 expression...
- Black spots of the parietal pleura: morphology and formal pathogenesisK M Muller
Institute of Pathology, BG Clinics Bergmannsheil, University Clinic, Bochum, Germany
Respiration 69:261-7. 2002..Black spots' seen as flat-to-nodular lesions of the parietal pleura are common findings in former miners. They represent areas of coal dust accumulation...
- Tight junction proteins contribute to barrier properties in human pleuraAlexander G Markov
Biological and Soil Faculty, St Petersburg State University, St Petersburg, Russia
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 175:331-5. 2011..Information on pleural barrier function in health and disease, however, is scarce. Tissue specimens of human pleura were mounted in Ussing chambers for measurement of transmesothelial resistance...
- Inhaled carbon nanotubes reach the subpleural tissue in miceJessica P Ryman-Rasmussen
Department of Environmental and Molecular Toxicology, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695, USA
Nat Nanotechnol 4:747-51. 2009..This work suggests that minimizing inhalation of nanotubes during handling is prudent until further long-term assessments are conducted...
- Fibre distribution in the lungs and pleura of subjects with asbestos related diffuse pleural fibrosisA R Gibbs
Department of Pathology, Llandough Hospital, Penarth
Br J Ind Med 48:762-70. 1991..Samples were taken from the visceral pleura and central and subpleural zones of the lungs for histopathological and mineralogical studies...
- [Mesothelioma of the pleura in the Province of Trieste]C Bianchi
Centro di Studio e Documentazione sui Tumori Ambientali, Lega Italiana per la Lotta contro i Tumori, Ospedale di Monfalcone, Monfalcone
Med Lav 98:374-80. 2007..The Province of Trieste, north-eastern Italy (population about 240,000), has been identified as an area with a high incidence of pleural mesothelioma...
- Mesothelial lamellar bodies in norm and experimental conditions. Transmission and scanning electron microscopic observations on the peritoneum, pleura and pericardiumK N Michailova
Department of Anatomy and Histology, Preclinical University Center, Faculty of Medicine, Medical University, Sofia, Bulgaria
Anat Embryol (Berl) 208:301-9. 2004..Strip-like profiles, continuous covering and smaller groups of LB with similar morphology and preferable submesothelial position characterize the mesothelium after EP...
- Cytologic clue of so-called nodular histiocytic hyperplasia of the pleuraY L Choi
Department of Diagnostic Pathology, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Diagn Cytopathol 24:256-9. 2001..Recently, we encountered a case of so-called NHH of the pleura and confused it with various malignant neoplasms on histologic examination...
- Pleural liquid and its exchangesEmilio Agostoni
Istituto di Fisiologia Umana I, Universita di Milano, Via Mangiagalli 32, 20133, Milano, Italy
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 159:311-23. 2007After an account on morphological features of visceral and parietal pleura, mechanical coupling between lung and chest wall is outlined...
- Functional arrangement of rat diaphragmatic initial lymphatic networkAnnalisa Grimaldi
Dipartimento di Biologia Strutturale e Funzionale, Universita degli Studi dell Insubria, via J H Dunant 5, 21100 Varese, Italy
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 291:H876-85. 2006....
- Parietal pleura and extrapleural space in chronic tuberculous empyema: CT-pathologic correlationH Y Kim
Department of Radiology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Comput Assist Tomogr 25:9-15. 2001PURPOSE: The purpose of this work was to describe CT findings of the parietal pleura and extrapleural space in patients with chronic tuberculous empyema and to compare them with histopathologic findings following decortication...
- Induction of pleural empyema in rats by thoracentesis with intrapleural pressure monitoringLuciano F Schopf
Graduate Program in Medicine Surgery, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS Brazil
Pediatr Surg Int 20:515-9. 2004..The macroscopic changes, amount of pleural fluid, and anatomopathological aspects of pleura and lungs were recorded, as well as death causes and bacteriological findings of pleural fluid for animals that ..
- Lymphomas involving the pleura: a clinicopathologic study of 34 cases diagnosed by pleural biopsyFrancisco Vega
Department of Hematopathology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Tex 77030, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 130:1497-502. 2006Pleural involvement by lymphoma is relatively common. However, there are very few clinicopathologic studies reported in the literature of lymphomas involving the pleura.
- Low glucose level and low pH alter the electrochemical function of human parietal pleuraV K Kouritas
Dept of Physiology, University of Thessaly Medical School, 22 Papakiriazi St, 412 22, Larissa, Greece
Eur Respir J 30:354-7. 2007..usually measured in complicated pleural effusions, alter the electrochemical function of healthy human parietal pleura. Parietal pleural pieces were stripped from 66 patients during thoracic surgery and were mounted in Ussing ..
- Resolution of residual pleural disease according to time course in tuberculous pleurisy during and after the termination of antituberculosis medicationDae Hee Han
Departments of Radiology, Seoul National University Boramae Hospital, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Korea
Chest 128:3240-5. 2005..To assess the resolution of pleural disease in patients with tuberculous pleurisy (TP) during and after antituberculosis medication...
- Localized (solitary) fibrous tumors of the pleura: an analysis of 15 patientsValerio Perna
Hospital Universitario de Bellvitge, Thoracic Surgery Department, Feixa Llarga s n, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona 08907, Spain
Int J Surg 6:298-301. 2008Localized fibrous tumors of the pleura (LFTPs) are rare neoplasms, which are considered to originate from submesothelial connective tissue...
- Patterns of recurrence and long-term survival after curative resection of localized fibrous tumors of the pleuraRicardo S Santos
Division of Thoracic and Foregut Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, PA 15232, USA
Clin Lung Cancer 7:197-201. 2005Localized fibrous tumors of the pleura (LFTPs) are uncommon thoracic neoplasms with variable malignant potential that were previously classified as benign presentation of mesothelioma...
- Tuberculous effusion: ADA activity correlates with CD4+ cell numbers in the fluid and the pleuraM Gaga
Respiratory Medicine Department, Medical School, Athens University, Athens, Greece
Respiration 72:160-5. 2005..Data on the correlation between ADA and T cells or macrophages in tuberculous effusions are conflicting. Furthermore, no studies have examined a possible correlation between pleural tissue infiltration and ADA...
- Targeting colloidal particulates to thoracic lymph nodesJiang Liu
Institute of Medical Science, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont, Canada
Lung Cancer 51:377-86. 2006..Micro- or nanoparticulates are used as carriers for therapeutic agents. We investigated the lymphatic distribution after intrapleural administration of three different particulates...
- Pleural plaques and exposure to mineral fibres in a male urban necropsy populationA Karjalainen
Institute of Occupational Health, Helsinki, Finland
Occup Environ Med 51:456-60. 1994..Due to methodological difficulties in detecting past exposures to chrysotile and such low exposures that may still pose a risk of plaques, the aetiologic fractions calculated in the study probably underestimate the role of asbestos...
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex DNA in calcified pleura from remains 1400 years oldH D Donoghue
Department of Bacteriology, University College London, UK
Lett Appl Microbiol 27:265-9. 1998Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex DNA was isolated and identified in calcified pleura from remains 1400 years old, with the polymerase chain reaction...
- Spinal afferent neurons projecting to the rat lung and pleura express acid sensitive channelsMichael Groth
Institute for Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Giessen Lung Center, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany
Respir Res 7:96. 2006..Here, we investigated to which extent they are expressed by rat dorsal root ganglion neurons projecting to lung and pleura, respectively.
- Pleural mechanics and fluid exchangeStephen J Lai-Fook
Center for Biomedical Engineering, Wenner Gren Research Laboratory, Univ of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40506 0070, USA
Physiol Rev 84:385-410. 2004..Homeostasis in pleural liquid volume is achieved by an adjustment of the pleural liquid thickness to the filtration rate that is matched by an outflow via lymphatic stomata...
- Epigenetic profiles distinguish pleural mesothelioma from normal pleura and predict lung asbestos burden and clinical outcomeBrock C Christensen
Department of Community Health, Center for Environmental Health and Technology, Brown University, 70 Ship Street, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Cancer Res 69:227-34. 2009..of 1505 CpG loci associated with 803 cancer-related genes were studied in 158 pleural mesotheliomas and 18 normal pleura. After false-discovery rate correction, 969 CpG loci were independently associated with disease status (Q < 0...
- The effect of pleural fluid content on the development of pleural thicknessE Kunter
Department of Respiratory Diseases, GATA Camlica Chest Diseases Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 6:516-22. 2002..Residual pleural thickness (RPT) is a common complication of tuberculous pleurisy (TP), and the degree of RPT cannot be predicted in advance...
- Pleural thickening, trapped lung, and chronic empyema as sequelae of tuberculous pleural effusion: don't sweat the pleural thickeningSteven A Sahn
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 6:461-4. 2002
- Prediction of residual pleural thickening in tuberculous pleural effusionW W Yew
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 7:199-200. 2003
- Ultrastructure and three-dimensional study of the lymphatic stomata in the costal pleura of the rabbitYan Yuan Li
Department of Lymphology, Institute of Cell Biology and Tissue Engineering, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Hangzhou, China 310031
Microsc Res Tech 62:240-6. 2003..the ultrastructure and three-dimensional organization of the pleural lymphatic stomata in the adult rabbit costal pleura by electron microscopy...
- Malignant mesothelioma of the pleura among seafarersC Bianchi
Center for the Study of Environmental Cancer, Italian League Against Cancer, Monfalcone Hospital, Italy
Med Lav 96:490-5. 2005..A large amount of data indicates that seafarers are at risk for asbestos disease...
- Insulin alters the permeability of sheep pleuraV K Kouritas
Department of Physiology, Medical School, University of Thessaly, Larissa, Greece
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 118:304-9. 2010..Direct stimulation of sheep pleura by insulin and the possible electrophysiology mechanisms involved were investigated.
- Asbestos: when the dust settles an imaging review of asbestos-related diseaseHuw D Roach
Department of Radiology, University Hospital of Wales, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XW, United Kingdom
Radiographics 22:S167-84. 2002Asbestos-related neoplastic and nonneoplastic diseases of the lungs and pleura range from pleural effusion and pleural plaques to lung cancer and malignant mesothelioma...
- Effects of SNP, ouabain, and amiloride on electrical potential profile of isolated sheep pleuraC H Hatzoglou
General Hospital of Larissa, Medical School, University of Thessaly, 412 22 Larissa, Greece
J Appl Physiol 90:1565-9. 2001..and solute transport properties of pleural tissue were studied by using specimens of intact visceral and parietal pleura from adult sheep lungs...
- Intrapleural injection of transforming growth factor-beta antibody inhibits pleural fibrosis in empyemaCraig R Kunz
Section of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Long Beach Veterans Affairs Healthcare System, 5901 East Seventh St 11 111P, Long Beach, CA 90822, USA
Chest 126:1636-44. 2004..In this study, our hypothesis is that neutralization of TGF-beta with an intrapleural injection of a monoclonal antibody to TGF-beta will decrease pleural fibrosis in empyema...
- Asbestos and the pleura: a reviewDavid W Cugell
Feinberg School of Medicine, Division of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Northwestern University and The Veterans Administration Chicago Health Care System, Lakeside Division, Chicago, IL, USA
Chest 125:1103-17. 2004
- Identification and properties of parietal pleural afferents in rabbitsYves Jammes
Laboratoire de Physiopathologie Respiratoire UPRES EA 2201, Faculte de Medecine, Boulevard Pierre Dramard, 13916 Cedex 20, Marseille, France
J Physiol 567:641-50. 2005..pain and dyspnoea are common symptoms in pleural diseases, there are few studies on the sensory innervation of the pleura. Using rabbits, after removal of all muscles in the intercostal space to be studied, we investigated the afferents ..
- [A comparative evaluation of immunohistochemical markers for the differential diagnosis between malignant mesothelioma, non-small cell carcinoma involving the pleura, and benign reactive mesothelial cell proliferation]Ewa Szczepulska-Wójcik
Zakład Patomorfologii Instytutu Gruźlicy i Chorób Płuc w Warszawie
Pneumonol Alergol Pol 75:57-69. 2007Histopathological diagnosis of malignant mesothelioma (MM) and differentiating it from tumors infiltrating the pleura is very difficult. Distinguishing benign reactive mesothelial cell proliferation from MM also presents problems...
- Claudin 4 identifies a wide spectrum of epithelial neoplasms and represents a very useful marker for carcinoma versus mesothelioma diagnosis in pleural and peritoneal biopsies and effusionsFabio Facchetti
Department of Pathology I, University of Brescia, Spedali Civili Brescia, Piazzale Spedali Civili 1, Brescia, 25124, Italy
Virchows Arch 451:669-80. 2007..CL-4 may be considered a primary immunohistochemical reagent to rule out the diagnosis of mesothelioma...
- Distinguishing benign mesothelial hyperplasia from neoplasia: a practical approachRichard L Kradin
Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Semin Diagn Pathol 23:4-14. 2006..Practical guidelines are offered that should reduce the risk of diagnostic error in this problematic area of surgical pathology...
- Intrapleural low-molecular-weight urokinase or tissue plasminogen activator versus single-chain urokinase in tetracycline-induced pleural loculation in rabbitsSteven Idell
Texas Lung Injury Institute, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler, Tyler, Texas 75708, USA
Exp Lung Res 33:419-40. 2007..The authors conclude that scuPA reverses loculations as effectively as tPA at clinically applied intrapleural doses, whereas low-molecular-weight urokinase was ineffective...
- [Differential diagnosis of preneoplastic lesions of the pleura and of early mesothelioma: immunohistochemical and morphological findings]M Krismann
Institut für Pathologie an der Augusta Krankenanstalt, Bochum
Pathologe 27:99-105. 2006..A useful immunohistochemical panel for the differential diagnosis consists of anti-cytokeratin, Ck 5/6, calretinin, EMA and MiB-1, whereas the immunohistochemical detection of telomerase is not helpful...
- Clinical characteristics and outcomes of empyema thoracis in 117 patients: a comparative analysis of tuberculous vs. non-tuberculous aetiologiesP Malhotra
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh 160012, India
Respir Med 101:423-30. 2007..We performed a prospective study over a 2-year period with the objective of comparing the clinical characteristics and outcomes of patients with tuberculous vs. non-tuberculous empyema...
- Tumor Microenvironment Interactions in Brain TumorsEric C Holland; Fiscal Year: 2010..Aim1). Our source of malignant cells is pleura! fluids of breast cancer patients undergoing treatment at MSKCC...
- Mechanisms of Pleural Fibrosis in EmpyemaKamal A Mohammed; Fiscal Year: 2013..in empyema;d) we will use a unique approach to deliver the therapeutics directly to the site of fibrosis in the pleura and prevent unnecessary exposure of unaffected tissues...
- Lung Toxicity of Carbon Nanotubes in Models of Pre-Existing Respiratory DiseaseJAMES CHRISTOPHER BONNER; Fiscal Year: 2010..proposal is that inhaled CNTs pose a health risk by promoting immune and fibrotic reactions within the lung and pleura;particularly in individuals with pre-existing respiratory disease...
- Hazard Assessment and Risk Estimation of Inhaled Nanomaterials ExposureGunter Oberdorster; Fiscal Year: 2010..ensuing pulmonary inflammatory response enhances translocation to and effects in secondary target sites such as pleura and central nervous system...
- Genetic Susceptibility to Nanoparticle-Induced Respiratory DiseaseJAMES CHRISTOPHER BONNER; Fiscal Year: 2013..We discovered that inhaled CNTs migrate to the pleura (the sensitive mesothelial lining surrounding the lungs) in mice to cause pleural injury and inflammation...
- Therapeutic Targeting of the Myofibroblast in Fibrotic Lung DiseaseVictor J Thannickal; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Fibrosis involving the airways, vasculature, alveoli, and pleura is seen, to varying degrees, in a number of clinical syndromes, including asthma, subphenotypes of chronic obstructive pulmonary ..
- Targeted liposomal radiotherapy of malignant mesotheliomaJiang He; Fiscal Year: 2011..Since mesothelioma is generally a regional disease within the pleura and peritoneum, aggressive surgery can resect most of solid viable tumor...
- Device for Surgical Adhesion PreventionREKHA BANSAL; Fiscal Year: 2010..After surgery, fibrous adhesions form in the peritoneum, central nervous system, pericardium, pleura and synovium...
- Multi-lumen steerable needles for transoral access to lung nodulesRon Alterovitz; Fiscal Year: 2013..steering) and pneumothorax (since, in contrast to transthoracic needle biopsy, our device never punctures the pleura around the lung)...
- Libby Epidemiology Research ProgramRaja M Flores; Fiscal Year: 2013..The CT Progression Study will evaluate whether asbestos-related scarring of the lung parenchyma and/or pleura evident on chest CT scans following only environmental exposure to LA progresses more rapidly than is seen in long-..
- Innate Response Activator B cells in Bacterial Lung InfectionFilip K Swirski; Fiscal Year: 2013..of IgMhigh B cells that accumulate in the lungs, whereas injection of pleural cavity IRA B cell precursors to the pleura of IRA B cell knockouts restores IgM responses and protects against bacterial infection...
- The role of coagulation cascade proteases in pleural fibrosisTORRY ALLE TUCKER; Fiscal Year: 2013..of coagulation nd fibrinolysis in lung and pleural injury who has a long-standing interest in the treatment of pleura fibrosis...
- ENVIRONMENTAL ASBESTOS AND MESOTHELIOMA IN CALIFORNIAMarc Schenker; Fiscal Year: 2001..asbestos deposits in California are associated with increased rates of mesothelioma, a rare cancer of the pleura and peritoneum that occurs almost solely as a result of asbestos exposure...
- TGF-BETA FOR PLEURODESISKirk Lane; Fiscal Year: 2000..Because the endpoint of pleurodesis is a fibrotic fusion of the parietal and visceral pleura, the investigators have chosen to investigate a non-inflammatory mechanism to induce a pleurodesis...
- TGF-BETA FOR PLEURODESISKirk Lane; Fiscal Year: 2005..This can be done by physical abrasion of the visceral and parietal pleura, by instilling an irritant, or by creating a chemical burn on the pleural surfaces...
- Biodegradable Sealant for Biopsy Tracts in Soft TissuesLUCJAN HRONOWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2003..the investigation we plan on studying a deployment system that plugs the tract but does not irritate the parietal pleura. Initial Investigation into the tissue compatibility will also be examined...
- SV40 sequences in human tumors: analysis & biologic*Michele Carbone; Fiscal Year: 2006..We are investigating if SV40 contributes to the development of human mesothelioma, a very aggressive tumor of the pleura whose incidence continues to increase...
- COMPARATIVE PHYSIOLOGY OF THE NORMAL AND INFLAMED PLEURAV Broaddus; Fiscal Year: 1991..This study of the physiology of the normal and inflamed pleura will examine those factors responsible for the imbalance of filtration and clearance which cause the accumulation ..
- Computerized Analysis of Mesothelioma on CT ScansSamuel Armato; Fiscal Year: 2009..wall or the mediastinum on CT scans to evaluate the extent of mesothelioma, which presents as a thickening of the pleura. Currently, assessment of mesothelioma severity is based on manual measurements of the pleural thickness made at ..
- SOUTHWEST ONCOLOGY GROUPCraig Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2003..of tumors such as alveolar soft part sarcoma metastatic to lung, retroperitoneal sarcomas and mesothelioma of the pleura, the genetics of hematopoietic growth factors, bone marrow transplantation, and gene therapy. 4...
- Enzymatic Pleurodesis for Malignant Pleural EffusionsLarry Tsai; Fiscal Year: 2005..This is most effectively accomplished by surgical stripping of the parietal pleura, which is followed by adherence of the visceral surface to the inner chest wall during healing...
- Gene Ratio Based Prognosis in MesotheliomaRaphael Bueno; Fiscal Year: 2004DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant) Malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) is a lethal malignancy of the pleura for which there is little effective therapy and overall survival remains dismal...
- MOLECULAR AND CELLULAR ANALYSIS OF AQUAPORIN 1 IN LUNGLANDON KING; Fiscal Year: 2002..In particular, preliminary studies demonstrate that Aqp1, abundantly expressed in visceral pleura, bronchial circulation, and nasopharyngeal vessels of the rat, can be induced in vitro and in vivo by a variety of ..
- CONTROL OF FIBRIN TURNOVER IN PLEURAL DISEASESteven Idell; Fiscal Year: 2004..This work could identify better, clinically feasible therapeutic approaches to prevent pleural fibrosis. ..
- Integrity of the Pulmonary Blood-Gas BarrierJohn West; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, at the more basic level, this research is devoted to a fundamental biological dilemma of the lung, namely how the blood-gas barrier combines extreme thinness with immense strength. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Angiogenesis in the LungElizabeth Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2010..In an animal model of chronic pulmonary thromboembolic disease, this project will determine the inflammatory cytokines and cells responsible for new vessel growth, and pharmacological and interventional inhibitors. ..
- AIRWAY PARTICLE CLEARANCE--ROLE OF BRONCHIAL CIRCULATIONElizabeth Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2001..Furthermore, the results will contribute to an understanding of the factors that both limit and enhance uptake and distribution of aerosols. ..
- PROTECTIVE ROLE OF APOPTOSIS IN ASBESTOS PLEURAL INJURYV Broaddus; Fiscal Year: 2001..We propose to investigate the role of apoptosis in the pathology of asbestos to the mesothelial cells and pleura. Initially, Dr...
- Amplification of TRIAL-Indcued Apoptosis in MesotheliomaV Broaddus; Fiscal Year: 2006..the mechanisms of amplification of TRAIL-induced apoptosis can provide insight into the means by which malignant cells evade apoptosis and ways to bypass those sites of resistance and thereby improve treatment strategies ..
- Diagnosis and prognosis of lung cancer using gene ratiosGAVIN GORDON; Fiscal Year: 2004..Specific Aim 4. To develop software for the expression ratio test and to design a form summarizing the results of the diagnostic test kit to clinicians and health care personnel. ..
- Promotion of Angiogenesis in Lung Cancer by MIFDouglas A Arenberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..Specific aim: a) Determine the role of CD74 in the promotion of lung tumor growth by MIF, and b) to determine the role myeloid cells in the MIF-CD74 axis in lung cancer. ..
- ECONOMIC IMPACT OF INJURY/ILLNESS IN CAREER ROOFERSLaura Welch; Fiscal Year: 2004..5) Assess and describe the impact of work-related conditions and aging on the ability of roofers to remain employed in their trade. ..
- Neural and non-neural modulators of skin blood flow and sweating in humansCRAIG CRANDALL; Fiscal Year: 2009..e. diabetes, heart failure, etc) and non-disease (i.e. aging) conditions. ..
- CONTROL OF FIBRINOLYTIC PATHWAYS IN LUNG DISEASESreerama Shetty; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Gene Ratios for Lung Cancer Detection and PrognosisRaphael Bueno; Fiscal Year: 2004..We envision that our methodology will be adaptable to a future clinical scenario where each suspicious nodule would be evaluated by fine needle aspiration determining the diagnosis and best therapeutic options for the patients. ..
- Regulation of Lung Epithelial Fibrinolysis by UrokinaseSreerama Shetty; Fiscal Year: 2005..This information could hasten the development of new, mechanism-based interventions for lung disorders, including acute lung injury or lung neoplasia. ..
- COMPARATIVE MEDICAL SCIENTIST POSTDOCTORAL TRAININGTrenton Schoeb; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- PULMONARY INTERSTITIAL MECHANICSSTEPHEN LAI FOOK; Fiscal Year: 2004..lungs. These studies will measure steric exclusion of albumin in interstitial cuffs of vessels ranging from arterioles to large vessels. ..
- MECHANISMS OF FIBER CARCINOGENESISTOM HEI; Fiscal Year: 2001DESCRIPTION: Asbestos fibers are carcinogenic and induce both lung cancers and mesotheliomas of the pleura and peritoneum in humans. The underlying cellular and molecular mechanisms in fiber carcinogenesis, however, are not clear...
- Skin Cooling to Improve Orthostatic ToleranceCRAIG CRANDALL; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Gulf Coast MBCCOPPaul Schwarzenberger; Fiscal Year: 2007..Genesis of the MBCCOP at MIMC was associated with increased accrual to NCI supported research over previous years. ..
- MECHANISMS OF ARSENIC CARCINOGENESISTOM HEI; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Microangiectasia Regulation of Lymphocyte MigrationSteven Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- THE MUTAGENICITY OF MINERAL FIBERSTOM HEI; Fiscal Year: 2006..Although asbestos is carcinogenic and induces both bronchogenic carcinomas and pleura and peritoneal mesotheliomas in humans, the underlying mechanisms of fiber carcinogenesis are not known...
- Regulation of Nuclear Import/Export of 5-LipoxygenaseThomas Brock; Fiscal Year: 2006..This foundation can then be used to elucidate the ways these factors can change and give rise to the disease states that arise from abnormal 5-LO localization and LT synthesis. ..
- Hydrocephalus, Intracranial Pressure and NeurocognitionDavid Frim; Fiscal Year: 2006..At the study conclusion, derived data should also practically affect the surgical choice of shunting products. ..
- NF KAPPA B MEDIATED CHEMORESISTANCE IN HUMAN LUNG CANCERDavid Jones; Fiscal Year: 2005..The ultimate goal of this study is to provide the necessary background for the initiation of novel treatment strategies designed to treat patients with advanced lung cancer. ..
- Physiology of Systemic and Pulmonary MicroangiectasiasSteven Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- PLEURAL LIQUID EXCHANGE AND LUNG MECHANICSSTEPHEN LAI FOOK; Fiscal Year: 2007..A specific objective is to develop a method to separate passive from active transport properties of pericardium and diaphragm, tissues that have both mesothelium and interstitium. ..
- Role of a novel oncogene in mesotheliomaAlice Boylan; Fiscal Year: 2007..We believe these studies will provide exciting information and important insight into this cancer. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Imaging of Pulmonary Cancer: Overcoming LimitationsJane Ko; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed method will enable early recognition of nodule growth and, therefore, the early diagnosis of malignancy. ..
- Gene Ratio Based Prognosis in MesotheliomaRaphael Bueno; Fiscal Year: 2007DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant) Malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) is a lethal malignancy of the pleura for which there is little effective therapy and overall survival remains dismal...
- IL-17 AND HEMATOPOIESISPaul Schwarzenberger; Fiscal Year: 2006..The successful completion of the proposed specific aims will enhance our understanding of the IL-17 in vivo mechanism of action, which will provide the foundation for the design of novel therapeutic strategies. ..
- GENERAL CLINICAL RESEARCH CENTERKaren Antman; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- PLASTICITY OF ALVEOLAR EPITHELIAL PHENOTYPIC EXPRESSIONLeland Dobbs; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Effect of diflunisal (IND68092) on familial amyloidosisJOHN BERK; Fiscal Year: 2009..poiuytrewq c Diflunisal drug levels will be determined to assess treatment compliance. We will correlate FAP disease progression with TTR stabilization. ..