Genomes and Genes
Summary: The scroll-like bony plates with curved margins on the lateral wall of the nasal cavity.
Publications224 found, 100 shown here
- Endoscopic inferior turbinate reduction: an outcomes analysisA Gupta
Division of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, George Washington University, Washington, DC, USA
Laryngoscope 111:1957-9. 2001..Adverse effects were minimal and all but one patient (96%) experienced improvement in their nasal airway. CONCLUSION: These results confirm the long-term effectiveness of this procedure for the relief of nasal obstruction...
- Nasal-air conditioning in patients with chronic rhinosinusitis and nasal polyposisJudit Papp
Department of PediatricOncology, University Children sHospital, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 134:931-5. 2008....
- Pneumatization of the concha inferior as a cause of nasal obstructionH Cankaya
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, Yuzuncu Yil University, Van, Turkey
Rhinology 39:109-11. 2001Chronic nasal obstruction is a common disorder. Hypertrophy of the inferior turbinates is responsible for nasal obstruction more frequently than it is commonly thought...
- Septoturbinal surgery in contact point headache syndrome: long-term resultsPier G Giacomini
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Italy
Cranio 21:130-5. 2003..These results seem to indicate septoplasty and turbinate decongestion to be a fairly good surgical option in treating facial pain due to septoturbinal contact resistant to conservative nasal therapy...
- Much ado about functional endoscopic sinus surgerySylvester Valentine Fernandes
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, John Hunter Hospital, Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
ANZ J Surg 76:133-8. 2006..With this experience, the aim of this study is to document a standard minimal technique with minimal follow up, which may be applicable to selected patients...
- Prevalence of human papilloma virus and human herpes virus types 1-7 in human nasal polyposisApostolos Zaravinos
Laboratory of Virology, Medical School, University of Crete, Heraklion, Crete, Greece
J Med Virol 81:1613-9. 2009..Two types of control tissues were used: adjacent inferior/middle turbinates from the patients and inferior/middle turbinates from 13 patients undergoing nasal corrective surgery...
- Defective fluid secretion from submucosal glands of nasal turbinates from CFTR-/- and CFTR (ΔF508/ΔF508) pigsHyung Ju Cho
Cystic Fibrosis Research Laboratory, Psychology Department, Stanford University, Stanford, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e24424. 2011..We asked if glands from pig nasal turbinates have secretory responses similar to those of tracheal glands and if CF nasal glands show reduced fluid secretion.
- Human inferior turbinate: an alternative tissue source of multipotent mesenchymal stromal cellsSe Hwan Hwang
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, The Catholic University of Korea, College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 147:568-74. 2012..This study aimed to explore potential new sources of multipotent MSCs for use in tissue regeneration and the functional restoration of organs...
- BDNF and DPP-IV in polyps and middle turbinates epithelial cellsL Jornot
Respiratory Division, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
Rhinology 45:129-33. 2007..We therefore assessed in primary human nasal epithelial cells the expression of DPP-IV and BDNF under basal and inflammatory conditions...
- Expression patterns of galectin-1 and galectin-3 in nasal polyps and middle and inferior turbinates in relation to growth regulation and immunosuppressionCarine Delbrouck
Ear, Nose, and Throat Department, Erasmus University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 129:665-9. 2003..As a step to define the biochemical determinants relevant for growth regulation, we focused on endogenous lectins known for anti-apoptotic (galectin-3) and immunomodulatory (galectin-1) activities...
- [Long-term results after argon plasma coagulation (APC) inferior turbinates reduction]Tatiana Gierek
Katedra i Klinika Laryngologii S1 AM w Katowiach
Otolaryngol Pol 61:63-8. 2007..Medical treatment often produces insufficient improvements. In these cases, surgical reduction of inferior turbinates can be proposed...
- Pneumatization of turbinatesHannes Braun
ENT University Hospital, Graz, Austria
Laryngoscope 113:668-72. 2003To present unusual computed tomography (CT) findings concerning huge pneumatization of turbinates and paranasal sinuses in one patient...
- The evidence for reducing inferior turbinatesDavid Willatt
ENT Department of Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust, Central Manchester and Manchester Children s University Hospitals, Manchester, United Kingdom
Rhinology 47:227-36. 2009..However selecting a particular technique should take account of the individual patient's features, the surgeon's experience and judgement and informed patient choice...
- Collection by trained pediatricians or parents of mid-turbinate nasal flocked swabs for the detection of influenza viruses in childhoodSusanna Esposito
Department of Maternal and Pediatric Sciences, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Fondazione IRCCS Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Milan, Italy
Virol J 7:85. 2010..Moreover, the direct involvement of parents significantly increases patient acceptance, thus simplifying collection and suggesting that this novel swab design should be considered for epidemiological surveys and vaccine efficacy studies...
- Staphylococcus aureus enterotoxin B, protein A, and lipoteichoic acid stimulations in nasal polypsJoke Patou
Upper Airways Research Laboratory, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
J Allergy Clin Immunol 121:110-5. 2008..Increasing evidence points toward a modifying role of Staphylococcus aureus and its products in the pathogenesis of nasal polyposis...
- Isolation of novel multipotent neural crest-derived stem cells from adult human inferior turbinateStefan Hauser
Molecular Neurobiology, University of Bielefeld, Bielefeld, Germany
Stem Cells Dev 21:742-56. 2012..In contrast to superior and middle turbinates, high amounts of source material could be isolated from human inferior turbinates...
- The relationship between the concha bullosa, nasal septal deviation and sinusitisDavut Aktas
Department of Otolaryngology, Fatih University, Ankara, Turkey
Rhinology 41:103-6. 2003..To evaluate the possible relationship between concha bullosa, nasal septal deviation and sinusitis...
- The incidence of concha bullosa and its relationship to nasal septal deviation and paranasal sinus diseaseJamie S Stallman
Department of Radiology the Mount Sinai School of Medicine of New York University, New York, NY 10029, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 25:1613-8. 2004..However, to our knowledge, no study has evaluated concha bullosa in relation to nasal septal deviation. We sought to analyze the incidence of concha bullosa and any correlation with nasal septal deviation and paranasal sinus disease...
- Role of the dermonecrotic toxin of Bordetella bronchiseptica in the pathogenesis of respiratory disease in swineSusan L Brockmeier
Respiratory Diseases of Livestock Research Unit, USDA, Agricultural Research Service, National Animal Disease Center, Ames, Iowa 50010, USA
Infect Immun 70:481-90. 2002..Therefore, production of DNT by B. bronchiseptica is necessary to produce the lesions of turbinate atrophy and bronchopneumonia in pigs infected with this organism...
- Anatomical variations of nasal turbinatesK Murat Ozcan
Ankara Numune Educational and Research Hospital, 4th ENT Clinic, Attending Otolaryngolog, Ankara, Turkey
J Craniofac Surg 19:1678-82. 2008..the widespread use of endoscopic sinus surgery and paranasal sinus computed tomography, many variations of nasal turbinates have been described...
- Pneumatized inferior turbinate: report of three casesDewey A Christmas
Halifax Medical Center, Daytona Beach, Fla, USA
Ear Nose Throat J 83:152-3. 2004
- CT appearance of pneumatized inferior turbinateB T Yang
Department of Radiology, Beijing Tongren Hospital, Capital Medical University, Dongcheng District, Beijing, China
Clin Radiol 63:901-5. 2008..To study the computed tomography (CT) features of pneumatized inferior turbinate (PIT)...
- Trends in turbinate surgery literature: a 35-year reviewW A Clement
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee, UK
Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci 26:124-8. 2001..Properly conducted randomised controlled trials are required to establish whether there is a long-term patient benefit from these commonly performed operations...
- Turbinate atrophy evaluation in pigs by computed tomographyT Magyar
Veterinary Medical Research Institute, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, H 1581 Budapest, PO Box 18, Hungary
Acta Vet Hung 51:485-91. 2003..98, p < 0.0001) as well as between visual scoring of CT images and tissue/air area ratio determination (r = -0.82, p < 0.0001)...
- Concha bullosa pyoceleSemsettin Okuyucu
Department of Oto Rhino Laryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Mustafa Kemal University, Antakya Hatay, 31100, Turkey
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 265:373-5. 2008..As pus was discharged whilst performing an endoscopic biopsy to determine whether it was neoplastic, the lateral aspect of the turbinate was excised to complete the procedure...
- A comparative analysis of intranasal volume and olfactory function using a three-dimensional reconstruction of paranasal sinus computed tomography, with a focus on the airway around the turbinatesBeom Cho Jun
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, College of Medicine, Uijeongbu St Mary s Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea, 65 1 Geumo dong, Uijeongbu, Gyeonggi Do, 480 717, Korea
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 267:1389-95. 2010The aim of this study was to investigate the relationship between the intranasal airway around the turbinates and olfactory function. In total, 32 nostrils of 16 patients who were awaiting septal surgery were involved in this study...
- Development of rhinovirus study model using organ culture of turbinate mucosaYong Ju Jang
Department of Otolaryngolgy, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, 388 1 Pungnap 2dong, Songpa Gu, Seoul 138 736, South Korea
J Virol Methods 125:41-7. 2005..Our results indicate that the air-liquid interface organ culture of turbinate mucosa could serve as an acceptable in vitro model for studying RV infection...
- Mucocele of the middle turbinate: a case reportA Toledano
Rinology Unit, Hospital Rúber Intemacional, Madrid, Spain
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 126:442-4. 2002
- Infected inferior turbinate pneumatizationHakan Gocmen
Department of Otolaryngology, Ankara Training and Research Hospital, Turkey
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 262:979-81. 2005..In this report, infection of this rare anatomical abnormality is presented for the first time and documented with acoustic rhinometry, CT and peroperative photography...
- PCR analysis of nasal polyps, chronic sinusitis, and hypertrophied turbinates for DNA encoding bacterial 16S rRNAGerald A Bucholtz
Department of Allergy, Marshfield Clinic, Wisconsin 54449, USA
Am J Rhinol 16:169-73. 2002..Previously, Mycoplasma pneumoniae-specific DNA was detected in human nasal polyps using polymerase chain reaction (PCR) techniques, suggesting M. pneumoniae as a causative agent in the etiology of nasal polyps...
- Isolated turbinitis and pneumatization of the concha inferior in a childA Faruk Kiroglu
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Yüzüncü Yýl University, Van, Turkey
Am J Otolaryngol 28:67-8. 2007..Although there is only 1 reported case of pediatric inferior concha bullosa before, this case is the first pneumatized inferior concha with associated isolated turbinitis...
- Pneumatization of the inferior turbinateO Aydin
Head and Neck Department, Otorhinolaryngology, Kocaeli University Medical School, Kocaeli, Turkey
Auris Nasus Larynx 28:361-3. 2001..Only a few cases have been reported yet. In this paper we present two cases, one unilateral and one bilateral case with pneumatization of the inferior turbinate...
- Massive bilateral inferior concha bullosaCengiz Ozcan
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Mersin University, School of Medicine, Turkey
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 111:100-1. 2002
- Concha bullosa of an inferior turbinateWm Alan Ingram
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 1225, USA
Ear Nose Throat J 82:605-7. 2003..We present the 11th such case, which we discovered during an evaluation of a patient who had chronic rhinosinusitis with allergic manifestations...
- Microdebrider for reduction of inferior turbinate: evaluation of effectiveness by computed tomographyK Murat Ozcan
Department of Radiodiagnostics, Ankara Numune Education and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 37:463-8. 2008..Computed tomography (CT) is commonly employed to show the reduction in the inferior turbinate after surgery; however, measurements on the scans are rarely made...
- Inferior concha bullosaH Halis Unlu
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Celal Bayar University School of Medicine, Manisa, Turkey
J Otolaryngol 31:62-4. 2002
- Development of cerebrospinal fluid absorption sites in the pig and rat: connections between the subarachnoid space and lymphatic vessels in the olfactory turbinatesLena Koh
Neuroscience Research, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Research Building, S 111, Toronto, ON, Canada, M4N 3M5
Anat Embryol (Berl) 211:335-44. 2006....
- Long-term efficacy of microdebrider-assisted inferior turbinoplasty with lateralization for hypertrophic inferior turbinates in patients with perennial allergic rhinitisYu Lin Chen
Department of Otolaryngology, Taipei City Hospital, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
Laryngoscope 118:1270-4. 2008The aim of the study was to evaluate the long-term efficacy of microdebrider-assisted inferior turbinoplasty with lateralization (MAITL) compared to submucosal resection for hypertrophic inferior turbinates.
- Comparison of long term results after Ho:YAG and diode laser treatment of hyperplastic inferior nasal turbinatesRonald Sroka
Laser Research Laboratory at the LIFE Center, Ludwig Maximilians University, 81377 Munich, Germany
Lasers Surg Med 39:324-31. 2007Various laser systems have been used to reduce the volume of hyperplastic inferior nasal turbinates during the last 25 years...
- Polyps arising in a concha bullosa of the middle turbinateJoseph P Mirante
Department of Otolaryngology, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, USA
Ear Nose Throat J 82:241-2. 2003
- Variability of vascularity in nasal mucosa as demonstrated by CD34 immunohistochemistryC M Philpott
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Leicester Royal Infirmary, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust, UK
Clin Otolaryngol 30:373-5. 2005..0003, 0.01). Suggests biopsies can be taken from any site on the lateral wall and give a representative sampling of the vascularity for research purposes...
- Endoscopic endonasal approach to the pterygopalatine fossa: anatomic studyAlessandra Alfieri
Department of Neurological Surgery, Centre Hospitalier Régional et Universitaire Dupuytren, Limoges, France
Neurosurgery 52:374-78; discussion 378-80. 2003..We performed a cadaveric study through a minimally invasive endoscopic endonasal approach to the pterygopalatine fossa...
- Nasal cavity and paranasal sinus bony variations: a computed tomographic studyG Kayalioglu
Department of Anatomy, Ege University, Faculty of Medicine, Bornova, Izmir, Turkey
Rhinology 38:108-13. 2000..These data provide very important information to guide the otolaryngologist and/or radiologist in the evaluation of patients with coronal CT which guides functional endoscopic sinus surgery...
- Superior turbinate osteoma: a case reportTadashi Ishimaru
Department of Otolaryngology, Nanto General Hospital, 2007 5, Umeno, Nanto, Toyama 939 1724, Japan
Auris Nasus Larynx 32:291-3. 2005..This is a report of a 61-year-old female presenting superior turbinate osteoma with headaches. The osteoma was resected by endoscopic sinus surgery (ESS) and the patient was relieved of headaches...
- Impact of unilateral sinus surgery with resection of the turbinates by means of midfacial degloving on nasal air conditioningJörg Lindemann
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Ulm, Germany
Laryngoscope 112:2062-6. 2002..aim of the investigation was to determine the influence of radical sinus surgery with complete resection of the turbinates and the lateral nasal wall by means of midfacial degloving as treatment for inverted papilloma on the nasal ..
- A massive superior concha bullosa: case report and literature reviewFatih Alper
Department of Radiology, Ataturk University Medical School, Erzurum, Turkey
Rhinology 42:38-40. 2004The superior turbinate was the most neglected of the turbinates in the past...
- Submucosal bipolar radiofrequency thermal ablation of inferior turbinates: a long-term follow-up with subjective and objective assessmentLeif J J Bäck
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Laryngoscope 112:1806-12. 2002To assess the efficacy and morbidity of bipolar radiofrequency thermal ablation of the inferior turbinates in patients with nasal obstruction caused by turbinate hypertrophy.
- Rationale for submucous resection of hypertrophied inferior turbinates in rhinoplasty: an evolutionR J Rohrich
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and the Department of Otolaryngology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75390 9132, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 108:536-44; discussion 545-6. 2001..goals, an element of nasal airway obstruction can persist from failure to acknowledge the role of inferior turbinates. Surgically responsive inferior turbinate hypertrophy is frequently not addressed secondary to inadequate ..
- Suture medialization of the middle turbinates during endoscopic sinus surgeryKim M Hewitt
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Ear Nose Throat J 87:E11. 2008..We conducted a retrospective review of suture medializations of 157 middle turbinates in 85 patients who had undergone endoscopic sinus surgery to ascertain the incidence of postoperative middle ..
- Long-term comparison between submucosal cauterization and powered reduction of the inferior turbinatesSander Joniau
Department of Surgery Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Adelaide and Flinders Universities, Adelaide, Australia
Laryngoscope 116:1612-6. 2006To evaluate the results of powered turbinoplasty and to compare these with submucosal cauterization of the inferior turbinates.
- Laser treatment of hyperplastic inferior nasal turbinates: a reviewP Janda
Department of Oto Rhino Laryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Ludwig Maximilian University, 81377 Munich, Germany
Lasers Surg Med 28:404-13. 2001Since the early 80s various types of lasers have been used for the reduction of hyperplastic inferior nasal turbinates. Up to now many studies have revealed a variety of important information...
- [Comparative study of most recent surgical techniques for the treatment of the hypertrophy of inferior turbinates]D Passali
Istituto di Discipline O R L, Policlinico Le Scotte,
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 15:219-28. 1995The choice among the several techniques carried out to treat the hypertrophy of inferior turbinates is still difficult and matter of great interest...
- Ho:YAG laser treatment of hyperplastic inferior nasal turbinatesA Leunig
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, Klinikum Grosshadern, Germany
Laryngoscope 109:1690-5. 1999..The aim of this prospective clinical study was to assess the long-term effect of Ho:YAG laser in the treatment of hyperplastic inferior nasal turbinates.
- Argon plasma coagulation in the treatment of nonallergic hypertrophic inferior nasal turbinatesFrancesco Ottaviani
IV Clinica Otorinolaringoiatrica, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Azienda Ospedaliera, Polo Universitario L Sacco, Milan, Italy
Am J Otolaryngol 24:306-10. 2003Various surgical procedures have been recently proposed for the treatment of hypertrophic inferior nasal turbinates as a result of the advances made in medical technology and growing public demand for minimally invasive therapies...
- Numerical simulation of intranasal air flow and temperature after resection of the turbinatesJoerg Lindemann
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Rhinology 43:24-8. 2005Radical surgical resection of the turbinates leads to a reduced intranasal air conditioning. The aim of this study was to determine the effect of turbinate resection on intranasal heating and airflow patterns using a numerical simulation.
- Does the use of the combined oral contraceptive pill cause changes in the nasal physiology in young women?Charlotte R Wolstenholme
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust, Leicester, United Kingdom
Am J Rhinol 20:238-40. 2006..Changes in nasal physiology have been observed during pregnancy and the menstrual cycle. The role of female hormones in these changes is unclear. The aim is to investigate the effect of the modern combined oral contraceptive pill (COCP)...
- Keratinocyte growth factor and its receptor messenger RNA expression in nasal mucosa and nasal polypsT Ishibashi
Department of Otolaryngology, Tokyo University Branch Hospital, Japan
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 107:885-90. 1998....
- Two consecutive cases of cerebrospinal fluid rhinorrhea after septoplasty operationT Metin Onerci
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Am J Otolaryngol 25:354-6. 2004..Prevention of the CSF fistula in septoplasty is more important than its treatment. Realizing the anatomic variations and gentle manipulation at the ethmoid roof is essential...
- Responses to trigeminal irritants at different locations of the human nasal mucosaMandy Scheibe
Smell and Taste Clinic, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Dresden Medical School, Fetscherstrasse 74, Dresden, Germany
Laryngoscope 118:152-5. 2008..The aim of this study was to investigate these topographic differences for different concentrations of different trigeminal irritants using an electrophysiologic measure of trigeminal activation, the negative mucosa potential (NMP)...
- Extracellular matrix components in nasal polyposisClaudia Rudack
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Munster, Munster, Germany
Acta Otolaryngol 123:643-7. 2003....
- [Ultrastructural changes in human nasal mucosa in rhinitis medicamentosa]S Knipping
Universitätsklinik und Poliklinik für Hals, Nasen und Ohrenheilkunde, Kopf und Halschirurgie, Martin Luther Universitat Halle Wittenberg
HNO 54:742-8. 2006..Nasal obstruction is caused by rebound swelling when the decongestive effect has disappeared. The patient starts using nasal drops more frequently as a result of tachyphylaxis...
- Giant cell reparative granuloma of the nasal cavityJonathan M Morris
Departments of Radiology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 25:1263-5. 2004..Although rare, the imaging characteristics of GCRGs should be recognized, and this entity should be suggested when the clinical information, CT, and MR features suggest a fibrous-osseous lesion in the nasal cavity...
- Endoscopic septoplastyAnne E Getz
Division of Rhinology, Department of Oto HNS, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305 5739, USA
Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 16:26-31. 2008..This review highlights endoscopic septoplasty techniques and instrumentation, as well as the indications for and advantages of endoscopic septoplasty as compared with traditional headlight septoplasty...
- Surgical treatment for empty nose syndromeSteven M Houser
MetroHealth Medical Center, 2500 MetroHealth Drive, Cleveland, OH 44109, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 133:858-63. 2007..To detail empty nose syndrome (ENS), an iatrogenic disorder characterized by a patent airway but a subjective sense of poor nasal breathing, and to explore repair options for patients with ENS...
- Histopathological changes after coblation inferior turbinate reductionGilead Berger
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Meir Medical Center, 59 Tchernichovsky St, Kfar Saba 44281, Israel
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 134:819-23. 2008..To assess the medium- to long-term histopathological changes after coblation (cold ablation) inferior turbinate (IT) reduction (CITR) surgery for refractory IT hypertrophy...
- Chronic inferior turbinate enlargement and the implications for surgical interventionS E J Farmer
Common Cold Centre, Cardiff School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, Cardiff, United Kingdom
Rhinology 44:234-8. 2006..associated with chronic rhinitis and nasal septal deviation, and focus on the structural changes in the turbinates. Cellular hyperplasia, tissue oedema and vascular congestion all contribute to turbinate enlargement, but there ..
- Comparison of microdebrider-assisted inferior turbinoplasty and submucosal resection for children with hypertrophic inferior turbinatesYu Lin Chen
Department of Otolaryngology, Women and Children Branch, Taipei City Hospital, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 71:921-7. 2007The aim of this study was to compare the effectiveness and safety of microdebrider-assisted inferior turbinoplasty (MAIT) with submucosal resection (SR) for children with hypertrophic inferior turbinates.
- [Ho:YAG and diode laser treatment of hyperplastic inferior nasal turbinates]P Janda
Klinik und Poliklinik Fur Hals, Nasen und Ohrenkranke der Ludwig Maximilians Universität München, Klinikum Grosshadern
Laryngorhinootologie 81:484-90. 2002Since the early 80's, chronic nasal obstruction due to hyperplastic turbinates is treated by laser light. Comparative clinical studies were performed to assess the clinical outcome of laser assisted endonasal turbinate surgery in longterm.
- Powered endoscopic septoplasty for septal deviation and isolated spursEileen M Raynor
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Florida Health Science Center at Jacksonville, 655 W 8th Street, Jacksonville, FL 32209, USA
Arch Facial Plast Surg 7:410-2. 2005..Patients with severe nasal obstruction due to caudal deflection of the septum off the nasal spine are better served with traditional headlight septoplasty...
- Treatment of inferior turbinate hypertrophy: a randomized clinical trialDesiderio Passali
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Siena, Medical School, Siena, Italy
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 112:683-8. 2003..We recommend, in spite of the greater surgical skill required, submucosal resection combined with lateral displacement as the first-choice technique for the treatment of nasal obstruction due to hypertrophy of the inferior turbinates.
- Endoscopic potassium-titanyl-phosphate laser treatment for the reduction of hypertrophic inferior nasal turbinateHsiang Kuan Wang
Department of Otolaryngology, Cathay General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Photomed Laser Surg 22:173-6. 2004..This study investigated the efficacy of using the KTP/532 laser in endoscopic inferior turbinate reduction surgery...
- Bifid inferior turbinate: a case reportA Selcuk
Fourth ENT Clinic, Ankara Numune Education and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
J Laryngol Otol 122:647-9. 2008..is suggested that, in the reported patient, bifid inferior turbinate coexisted with a developmental anomaly of the uncinate process, and that the bifid inferior turbinate represented two separate turbinates originating from the same site.
- Rhinoplasty and endoscopic surgery for functional and inflammatory nasal/sinus disordersRicardo F Mazzola
Ear, Nose, and Throat Department, Section of Plastic Surgery, Policlinic Hospital, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Plast Reconstr Surg 115:705-10. 2005..More recently, an endoscopic approach has been advocated for management of the septum and lower/middle turbinates. The authors call this functional endoscopic nasal surgery...
- Clinical and ultrastructural study after partial inferior turbinectomyRogério Dutra Bandos
Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Departmento de Oftalmologia, Otorrinolaringologia e Cirurgia de Cabeca e Pescoco, Hospital das Clinicas, Brazil
Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 72:609-16. 2006..We report clinical and histological results obtained after partial inferior turbinectomy (PIT), surgery indicated for the treatment of chronic nasal obstruction...
- Preventing lateral synechia formation after endoscopic sinus surgery with a silastic sheetJae Yong Lee
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Soonchunhyang University College of Medicine, Bucheon, South Korea
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 133:776-9. 2007..To investigate whether the insertion of a Silastic sheet between the middle turbinate and lateral nasal wall can prevent lateral synechia formation when an unstable, floppy middle turbinate results from endoscopic sinus surgery (ESS)...
- Early influence of bilateral turbinoplasty combined with septoplasty on intranasal air conditioningJoerg Lindemann
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Am J Rhinol 22:542-5. 2008Too extensive resection of the inferior turbinates (ITs) during nasal surgery leads to a severely disturbed intranasal air conditioning...
- Evaluation of the inferior turbinate in patients with deviated nasal septum by using computed tomographyErol Egeli
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Abant Izzet Baysal, Duzce Faculty of Medicine, Turkey
Laryngoscope 114:113-7. 2004..The objective was to measure the dimensions, composition, and possible structural and radiological changes of the compensatory hypertrophic inferior turbinate in patients with deviated nasal septum...
- Congenital vomeral bone defectMustafa Deniz Yilmaz
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Afyon Kocatepe University, Afyon, Turkey
Am J Otolaryngol 26:64-6. 2005..This defect probably occurred because of an arrest in development of vomeral bone. The literature on this rare occurrence is reviewed, and the significance of the patient is discussed...
- A comparison of nasopharyngeal endoscopy and lateral cephalometric radiography in the diagnosis of nasopharyngeal airway obstructionD I Filho
Private practice in Campinas, , Brazil
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 120:348-52. 2001..Radiographic diagnoses of hypertrophy of the middle and lower turbinates exhibited high sensitivity and low specificity when compared with diagnoses by nasopharyngeal endoscopy.
- Evaluation of the turbinate hypertrophy by computed tomography in patients with deviated nasal septumErtap Akoglu
Department of Oto Rhino Laryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Mustafa Kemal University, Faculty of Medicine, Antakya Hatay, Turkey
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 136:380-4. 2007..To determine the dimensions of the compensatory hypertrophic inferior turbinate and investigate the radiological changes in the morphology of the conchal bone in patients with septal deviation...
- Supreme nasal turbinate as a landmark during endoscopic sphenoid sinus surgeryDewey A Christmas
Department of Otolaryngology, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, Fla, USA
Ear Nose Throat J 83:84-5. 2004
- Ball valve nasal obstruction following incomplete inferior turbinectomyM J R Magarey
Department of Otolaryngology, Charing Cross Hospital, London, UK
J Laryngol Otol 118:146-7. 2004..A pedunculated mass was seen in the right posterior nasal space acting as a ball valve. This was removed and found to be residual turbinate tissue...
- Endoscopic septoplastyRobert W Dolan
Department of Otolaryngology, Lahey Clinic, Burlington, Massachusetts 01803, USA
Facial Plast Surg 20:217-21. 2004..Particular attention is given to the use of ES in the correction of nasal valve obstruction. A novel classification system for septal deviations relevant to the endoscopic approach is offered...
- [Anterior turbinectomy: experimental and clinical study]T Hida
Department of Otolaryngology, Saitma Medical College, Saitama
Nippon Jibiinkoka Gakkai Kaiho 104:663-7. 2001..CONCLUSION: Anterior treatment to solely increase nasal volume at the minimal cross sectional area showed equal postoperative improvement in VAS under conventional treatment...
- Craniofacial pain and anatomical abnormalities of the nasal cavitiesJeferson Cedaro de Mendonça
Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 71:526-34. 2005..pathogenesis that can be involved in this relation proves to be wider than simple alteration of nasal septum and turbinates that can cause mechanical stimulus through contact between these structures, which covers infectious factors, ..
- [Cavernous hemangioma of the nasal cavity]David Bakhos
Service ORL et chirurgie cervicofaciale, Hopital Bretonneau, CHU de Tours, 37000 Tours, France
Ann Otolaryngol Chir Cervicofac 125:94-7. 2008..To study the circumstances of diagnosis, imaging techniques and therapeutic management of cavernous hemangioma of the nasal cavity...
- An unusual medial ostium of a concha bullosa of the middle turbinateDewey A Christmas
Department of Otolaryngology, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, Fla, USA
Ear Nose Throat J 81:491-2. 2002
- Density of middle turbinate subepithelial mucous glands in patients with chronic rhinosinusitisSonya Malekzadeh
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007 2197, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 127:190-5. 2002Histologic changes have not been systematically assessed in chronic rhinosinusitis. Quantitative histochemical studies evaluated the extent of sinus disease and gland density in the middle turbinates.
- The effect of inferior turbinate hypertrophy on nasal spray distribution to the middle meatusA C Dowley
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Hull Royal Infirmary, Hull, UK
Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci 26:488-90. 2001..026). This may support a clinical role for inferior turbinate reduction to improve the efficacy of topical nasal therapy, as well as improving nasal airflow...
- Degloving of the inferior turbinates: pilot study to assess the effectiveness of a new technique in turbinate reductionE B Chevretton
Department of Otolaryngology, Guy s and St Thomas Hospital, London, UK
J Laryngol Otol 117:866-70. 2003..This pilot study demonstrates a new surgical technique for reduction of the inferior turbinates, that yields significant improvement in nasal obstruction, an acceptably low complication rate and is well ..
- [Argon plasma coagulation (APC) for interior turbinates reduction]Tatiana Gierek
Katedra i Klinika Laryngologii Sl AM w Katowicach
Otolaryngol Pol 59:37-41. 2005Authors analyze results of argon plasma coagulation (APC) for interior turbinates reduction in patients with chronic nasal obstruction treated ineffectively with nasal drops...
- Expression of acidic fibroblast growth factor and basic fibroblast growth factor in nasal polypsHyung Jin Kim
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Korea University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Acta Otolaryngol 126:600-5. 2006..Up-regulated expression of acidic fibroblast growth factor (aFGF) and basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF) in nasal polyps may be related to epithelial proliferation and neoangiogenesis associated with nasal polyp growth...
- Anatomical variations and sinusitisM Jorissen
Catholic University of Leuven (KUL, ENT Department, Head and Neck Surgery, Belgium
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 51:219-26. 1997..The knowledge of anatomical variations is most important in the surgical management and specifically in the prevention of complications...
- Giant concha bullosa containing another concha bullosa inside: unique anatomic variation of the middle turbinateOzan Bagis Ozgursoy
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Ankara, Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Rhinology 45:248-50. 2007..comment on the differential diagnosis of the variations of the middle turbinate and on the embryology of the nasal turbinates. This report also supplies additional aspects to rhinologists in the scope of middle turbinate pneumatization.
- Non-sinusitis-related rhinogenous headache: a ten-year experienceHsueh Hsin Huang
Department of Otolaryngology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University, Taipei, Taiwan
Am J Otolaryngol 29:326-32. 2008..This study aimed to investigate the role of anatomical abnormalities in non-sinusitis-related rhinogenous headache and to evaluate response to surgery...
- Asymmetry of the middle turbinates and ethmoid sinusesJoseph P Mirante
Department of Otolaryngology, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, USA
Ear Nose Throat J 84:466. 2005
- The histopathology of the hypertrophic inferior turbinateGilead Berger
Histopathologic Research Laboratory and Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Meir Medical Center, Kfar Saba, Israel
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 132:588-94. 2006..To analyze the quantitative and qualitative characteristics of the hypertrophic inferior turbinate (IT)...
- Comparative study of the effects of submucosal cauterization of the inferior turbinate with or without outfractureAntonio Celso Nunes Nassif Filho
Otolaryngology Department, Santa Casa de Misericordia, Curitiba, Brazil
Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 72:89-95. 2006..The objective of this study was to compare the effects of submucosal cauterization of the inferior turbinate with or without outfracture...
- Perception of airflow is more important than actual airflowDonald A Leopold
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 132:597. 2006
- Comparison of radiofrequency tissue volume reduction and submucosal resection with microdebrider in inferior turbinate hypertrophyZeynep Kizilkaya
Ministry of Health Ankara Training and Research Hospital, Ear, Nose and Throat Department, Ankara, Turkey
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 138:176-81. 2008..To compare the efficacy of submucosal temperature-controlled radiofrequency tissue volume reduction (TCRFTVR) and resection with microdebrider (SMRM) in chronic inferior turbinate hypertrophy...
- Simultaneous intranasal procedures to improve chronic obstructive nasal breathing in patients undergoing maxillary (le fort I) osteotomyJeffrey C Posnick
Posnick Center for Facial Plastic Surgery, Chevy Chase, MD, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:2273-81. 2007....
- NERVES & NEUROTROPHINS IN ALLERGIC AIRWAY DISEASEAlvin Sanico; Fiscal Year: 2004..The fact that we can apply challenges unilaterally, and subsequently obtain nasal turbinates from the same patient bilaterally, allows us to rigorously test this hypothesis...
- Mechanisms of prion transportRICHARD BESSEN; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies can determine the role of the olfactory nerve in centrifugal prion spread to the nasal mucosa where agent shedding is a potential route of prion transmission. ..
- Human Metapneumovirus Infections in ChildrenJohn Williams; Fiscal Year: 2004..The specific aims of this study are to define the prevalence of hMPV infection in children, describe fully the spectrum of clinical illness and identify serologic markers of seroconversion and correlates of immunity. ..
- Determinanats of Protective Immunity to MetapneumovirusJohn Williams; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed work will provide the candidate skills and experience to be an outstanding physician-scientist in the field of human viral immunology. ..
- 3D CT Cephalometrics and Family History in Sleep ApneaReyes Enciso; Fiscal Year: 2008..The 5th year's focus will be on report and grant writing. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cytokines on Olfactory Receptor Neuron FunctionAndrew Lane; Fiscal Year: 2006..Additional bench research will be performed in the laboratory of Dr. Schleimer, an established scientist with expertise in airway inflammation and cytokine modulation of cell function. ..
- PHYSIOLOGICAL ANALYSIS OF THE OLFACTORY PROJECTIONSJohn Scott; Fiscal Year: 2006..These results will be of importance for understanding the sense of smell. ..
- Development of a Skin Cancer Quality of Life InsturmentJohn Rhee; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Extracellular matrix in chloracetanilide carcinogenesisMary Beth Genter; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN ALLERGIC RHINITIS AND SINUSITISFuad Baroody; Fiscal Year: 2003..This will hopefully help to improve our therapeutic modalities for this enigmatic illness that affects millions of Americans every year. ..
- MECHANISM OF INDUCTION OF OLFACTORY TUMORS BY ALACHLORMary Beth Genter; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Sphingolipid signaling in olfactory mucosaMary Beth Genter; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..