Summary: One of the paired paranasal sinuses, located in the body of the sphenoid bone and communicating with the highest meatus of the nasal cavity on the same side.
Publications239 found, 100 shown here
- Meningioma of the paranasal sinus: a case reportKazuyuki Kainuma
Department of Otolaryngology, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Asahi 3 1 1, Matsumoto 390 8621, Japan
Auris Nasus Larynx 34:397-400. 2007..This is the first report of the use of such a system with endoscopic surgery for this condition. We discuss the clinical presentation, diagnosis, and treatment of this case as well as present a review of the literature...
- Endoscopic removal of an unusual foreign body in the sphenoid sinus: an oral implantGiovanni Felisati
Department of Medicine, Surgery and Dentistry, Unit of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Milan, San Paolo Hospital, Milan, Italy
Clin Oral Implants Res 18:776-80. 2007Migration of oral implants displaced in the maxillary sinus toward the sphenoid sinus is an extremely rare event...
- Postpartum granulomatous hypophysitis with sphenoid sinus involvement: a case studyCharalambos Demetri
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Baystate Medical Center, Western Campus Tufts University School of Medicine, Springfield, Massachusetts 01199, USA
Endocr Pract 16:264-9. 2010To report an unusual case of granulomatous hypophysitis with sphenoid sinus involvement in a woman presenting with headaches and visual field deficits approximately 2 weeks after a normal delivery.
- Sphenoid sinus mucocele causing third nerve paralysis: CT and MR findingsH Akan
Ondokuz Mayis University, Medical School, Radiology Department, Samsun, Turkey
Dentomaxillofac Radiol 33:342-4. 2004..of the paranasal sinuses revealed an expansile, homogeneous lesion with no contrast enhancement in the sphenoid sinus. The mass was hyperintense on all MR sequences and there was extension of the mass to the left cavernous sinus ..
- Sphenoid sinus mucocele: 10 cases and literature reviewS R Soon
Department of Otolaryngology, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
J Laryngol Otol 124:44-7. 2010b>Sphenoid sinus mucoceles represent only 1-2 per cent of all paranasal sinus mucoceles. Patients may present with a myriad of symptoms...
- Risky anatomic variations of sphenoid sinus for surgeryBirsen Unal
Department of Radiology, University of Kirikkale, Kirikkale, Turkey
Surg Radiol Anat 28:195-201. 2006We searched for the surgically risky anatomic variations of sphenoid sinus and aimed to compare axial and coronal tomography in detection of these variations...
- Endoscopic management of spontaneous meningoencephalocele of the lateral sphenoid sinusAbtin Tabaee
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, New York Presbyterian Hospital Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York, USA
J Neurosurg 112:1070-7. 2010Spontaneous meningoencephaloceles of the lateral sphenoid sinus are rare lesions that are hypothesized to result from persistence of the lateral craniopharyngeal canal...
- An aberrant ACTH-producing ectopic pituitary adenoma in the sphenoid sinusJiro Suzuki
Department of Medicine and Clinical Science, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, Okayama, Japan
Endocr J 51:97-103. 2004..Although EAPA is clinically rare in parasellar disorders, the presence of ectopic pituitary adenoma should be considered in such cases showing ACTH hypersecretion without typical Cushingoid features...
- Optic neuritis is nothing to sneeze atMichael S Vaphiades
Departments of Ophthalmology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35233, USA
Surv Ophthalmol 52:106-10. 2007..Cranial magnetic resonance imaging revealed a sphenoid sinus mucocele with extension into the anterior clinoid process abutting the left optic nerve...
- [Melanoma of sphenoid sinus. Case presentation and review of literature]V Pino Rivero
Facultativo Especialista del Area de Otorrinolaringología, Complejo Hospitalario Infanta Cristina, Badajoz
Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp 55:45-8. 2004..We have carried to a bibliographic review of this pathology whose differential diagnosis must be done with epidermoid carcinomas, adenocarcinomas and lymphomas on that location...
- Ocular presentation of sphenoid mucoceleN Prepageran
Department of Otolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, University Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Orbit 23:45-7. 2004..It can present initially to the ophthalmologist with ocular complaints. In the present paper, the authors present two cases of sphenoid mucocele, one with an isolated third and one with an isolated sixth cranial nerve palsy...
- Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of the sphenoid sinus presenting as isolated oculomotor nerve palsyYoung Mok Park
Department of Neurosurgery, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
World J Surg Oncol 5:86. 2007Solitary involvement of the sphenoid sinus has rarely been reported in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Isolated oculomotor nerve palsy is uncommon as an initial presentation of malignant tumors of the sphenoid sinus.
- Epidermoid cyst of the sphenoid sinus with extension into the sella turcica presenting as pituitary apoplexy: case reportSepehr Sani
Department of Neurosurgery, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Surg Neurol 63:394-7; discussion 397. 2005..We report here a rare case of an epidermoid arising from the sphenoid sinus with extension into the sella and adjacent structures with acute onset of neurological deficit...
- Isolated sphenoid sinus adenocarcinoma: a case reportOzcan Cakmak
Baskent University Hospital, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Bahcelievler, 06490 Ankara, Turkey
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 259:266-8. 2002While solitary sphenoid sinus disease is uncommon, primary isolated sphenoid sinus carcinoma is extremely rare. We describe a case of isolated sphenoid sinus adenocarcinoma in a 68-year-old man...
- Ectopic sphenoid sinus pituitary adenoma (ESSPA) with normal anterior pituitary gland: a clinicopathologic and immunophenotypic study of 32 cases with a comprehensive review of the english literatureLester D R Thompson
Woodland Hills Medical Center, Department of Pathology, Southern California Kaiser Permanente Group, 5601 De Soto Avenue, Woodland Hills, CA 91365, USA
Head Neck Pathol 6:75-100. 2012Ectopic sphenoid sinus pituitary adenoma (ESSPA) may arise from a remnant of Rathke's pouch...
- Sphenoid sinus basaloid squamous cell carcinoma presenting as a sellar mass: report a case with review of the literatureXin Gu
Department of Pathology, Louisiana State University Health Science Center Shreveport, Shreveport, LA 71130, USA
Head Neck Pathol 5:81-5. 2011..In this report, we present a case of a female patient with a sphenoid sinus mass. Clinically, the patient had progressively decreasing vision and headache...
- Sphenoid sinus mucocele presenting as a third cranial nerve palsyMichael S Vaphiades
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35233, USA
J Neuroophthalmol 25:293-4. 2005A 90-year-old woman developed an acute left third cranial nerve palsy. Brain imaging revealed a left sphenoid sinus mucocele. Endoscopic marsupialization of the mucocele led to complete resolution of the third cranial nerve palsy.
- Analysis of pneumatization and neurovascular structures of the sphenoid sinus using cone-beam tomography (CBT)Christian Güldner
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, UKGM, Marburg, Germany
Acta Radiol 53:214-9. 2012The sphenoid sinus is a frequent target of paranasal sinus surgery. Because of the high risk of injuring the surrounding structures (e.g. internal carotid artery, optical nerve) a preoperative imaging is absolutely necessary.
- A neuroendocrine tumour of the sphenoid sinus and nasopharynx: a case reportV Vandist
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Antwerp University Hospital, Edegem, Belgium
B-ENT 6:147-51. 2010It is rare for neuroendocrine tumours to originate in the sphenoid sinus and the nasopharynx. Neuroendocrine tumours can be classified into typical carcinoids, atypical carcinoids and small cell neuroendocrine carcinomas...
- Contemporary surgical treatment of epistaxis. What is the evidence for sphenopalatine artery ligation?S Kumar
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Queen Alexandra Hospital, Southwick Hill Road, Cosham, Portsmouth, UK
Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci 28:360-3. 2003..If this is the case, then endoscopic sphenopalatine artery ligation may indeed be the surgical answer to intractable posterior epistaxis...
- Primary malignant tumors of the sphenoidal sinusF DeMonte
Department of Neurosurgery, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Neurosurgery 46:1084-91; discussion 1091-2. 2000..Primary involvement of the sphenoidal sinus has been reported to occur in only 1 to 2% of all paranasal sinus tumors. Tumors at this site commonly present with cranial neuropathies and require multidisciplinary treatment...
- Sphenoid sinus mucocoele presenting with optic neuropathy and abducens palsy: a late complication of radiotherapy to the head and neckJ Y S Lin
Eye (Lond) 19:697-9. 2005
- FDG PET imaging of myxofibrosarcoma on the sphenoid sinusKeisuke Enomoto
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases, Higashinari ku, Osaka, Japan
Clin Nucl Med 33:421-2. 2008
- Inverting papilloma of the sphenoid sinus: report of two casesS Nishio
Department of Neurosurgery, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
J Clin Neurosci 8:168-70. 2001Two patients with sphenoid sinus inverting papilloma who were treated either by transcranial or sublabial trans-septal approach are reported. Inverting papillomas arising from the sphenoid sinus are exceedingly rare...
- Diagnosis and treatment of isolated sphenoid sinus disease: a review of 109 casesJan Alessandro Socher
Instituto Felippu de Otorrinolaringologia, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Acta Otolaryngol 128:1004-10. 2008Endoscopic transethmoidal sphenoidotomy performed mainly in the early stages of the pathology and by expert hands is [WX1]very effective in treating isolated sphenoid sinus disease.
- Surgical nuances for the endoscopic endonasal transpterygoid approach to lateral sphenoid sinus encephalocelesRichard F Schmidt
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey 07101, USA
Neurosurg Focus 32:E5. 2012..this report, the authors review the endoscopic endonasal transpterygoid approach to the lateral recess of the sphenoid sinus for repair of temporal lobe encephaloceles, including an overview of the surgical anatomy from an endoscopic ..
- [The endoscopic approach to isolated sphenoid sinus disease]T Hadar
Nose and Sinus Institute, Department of Otolaryngology, Rabin Medical Center, Beilinson Campus, Petah Tikva, Israel
Harefuah 141:670-2, 764. 2002We reviewed the records of 38 patients aged 16 to 76 years with isolated sphenoid sinus disease who were treated by intranasal endoscopic sphenoidotomy at our hospital during the period 1992-1997...
- Endoscopic resection of isolated inverted papilloma of the sphenoid sinusKevin K Wong
Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB
J Otolaryngol 33:125-8. 2004
- Isolated inverting papilloma of the sphenoid sinusJivianne T Lee
Division of Head and Neck Surgery, University of California Los Angeles Medical Center, 90095 1624, USA
Laryngoscope 113:41-4. 2003Primary inverting papilloma of the sphenoid sinus is rare...
- Anterior clinoid mucocele coexisting with sphenoid sinus mucoceleSoon Ho Kwon
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Auris Nasus Larynx 36:598-600. 2009..Interestingly, the anterior clinoid mucocele coexisted with a sphenoid sinus mucocele...
- Inverted papilloma of the sphenoid sinusJ R Alba
ENT Department, Valencia University General Hospital and Medical School, Valencia, Spain
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 56:399-402. 2002..order of frequency being the lateral wall of the nasal fossa, ethmoid sinus, and maxillary sinus; the sphenoid sinus is only rarely affected...
- Endoscopic treatment of the isolated sphenoid sinus lesionsPaolo Castelnuovo
Department of Otorhinolaryngology of the IRCCS Policlinico S Matteo, University of Pavia, Italy
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 262:142-7. 2005Presenting symptoms of the isolated sphenoid sinus lesion are often vague and non-specific. Diagnostic nasal endoscopy procedures and imaging techniques are of great value for an early and precise diagnosis...
- A novel approach allowing binostril work to the sphenoid sinusAldo Cassol Stamm
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 138:531-2. 2008
- Fungal granuloma of the sphenoid sinus and clivus in a patient presenting with cranial nerve III paresis: case report rand review of the literatureManfred Petrick
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Neurosurgery 52:955-8; discussion 958-9. 2003Isolated fungal granulomas originating within the sphenoid sinus are extremely rare in immunocompetent patients. In their symptoms and morphological appearance, these lesions may be mistaken for pituitary tumors...
- Endoscopic anatomy of sphenoid sinus for pituitary surgeryA Unlu
Department of Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medicine, Ankara University, Ankara, Turkey
Clin Anat 21:627-32. 2008..This facilitated exact evaluation for variations, which could result in more effective and safe surgery. However, these variations again emphasize the necessity of preoperative radiological evaluation in each case...
- Inverted papilloma of the sphenoid sinus presenting with auditory symptoms: a report of two casesMarc D Eisen
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia 19104, U S A
Laryngoscope 112:1197-200. 2002The report aims to inform the reader of cases of inverted papilloma involving the sphenoid sinus presenting with auditory symptoms.
- Infectious and neoplastic diseases of the sphenoid sinus--a report of 10 casesZan Mra
Departments of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Montefiore Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, NY, USA
Rhinology 40:34-40. 2002..When evaluating hospitalized patients with sphenoid sinus disease, a thorough history and a bedside nasal endoscopy should be performed...
- Intraosseous lipoma presenting as a sphenoid sinus massM Dogan
Department of Radiology, Inonu University School of Medicine, Malatya, Turkey
Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 15:1339-42. 2011..We present a case of lipoma in the body of the sphenoid bone mimicking sphenoid sinus tumor...
- Metastasis of occult prostatic carcinoma to the sphenoid sinus: report of a rare case and a review of the literatureFredrik Petersson
Department of Pathology, National University Health System, 5 Lower Kent Ridge Road, Singapore, 119074, Singapore
Head Neck Pathol 6:258-63. 2012We present a case (55-year-old) with a metastasis to the sphenoid sinus from an occult prostatic adenocarcinoma as the first evidence of disease...
- Virtual reality surgical anatomy of the sphenoid sinus and adjacent structures by the transnasal approachShou Sen Wang
Department of Neurosurgery, Fuzhou General Hospital, 156 Xihuanbei Road, Fuzhou 350025, China
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 40:494-9. 2012To examine the three-dimensional virtual anatomical features of the sphenoid sinus and adjacent structures during virtual surgery and explore their relevance to actual transsphenoidal surgery.
- The neurosurgical anatomy of the sphenoid sinus and sellar floor in endoscopic transsphenoidal surgeryGabriel Zada
Department of Neurosurgery, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90089, USA
J Neurosurg 114:1319-30. 2011A considerable degree of variability exists in the anatomy of the sphenoid sinus, sella turcica, and surrounding skull base structures...
- Sphenoid sinus mucocele presenting with unilateral visual loss: a case reportO Bahadir
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, School of Medicine, Karadeniz Technical University, Trabzon, Turkey
B-ENT 7:65-8. 2011Mucoceles of the sphenoid sinus are rare and may remain undiagnosed until symptoms arise due to the compression of surrounding structures...
- [Sphenoid sinus mucocele of unusual aetiology and location]C A Righini
CHU de Grenoble, Service ORL et de Chirurgie Cervico Faciale, France
Rev Laryngol Otol Rhinol (Bord) 127:165-70. 2006..Mucoceles of the sphenoid sinnus are rare. 140 cases have been reported in the literature...
- Surgical anatomy of the natural ostium of the sphenoid sinusH U Kim
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Laryngoscope 111:1599-602. 2001..to measure the distance and the angle between the anterior part of nasal cavity and the natural ostium of the sphenoid sinus. The anatomical location of the natural ostium according to the direction of surgeon's operating view toward ..
- Role of magnetic resonance imaging in evaluating sphenoid sinus and internal carotid arteryH G Hatipoglu
Department of Radiology, Ankara Numune Education and Research Hospital, Turkey
J Laryngol Otol 123:1331-7. 2009This study aimed to determine whether magnetic resonance imaging has a role in the evaluation of the sphenoid sinus and internal carotid artery...
- Primary sphenoid sinus esthesioneuroblastomaLuc Morris
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Am J Otolaryngol 25:350-3. 2004..We report a rare case of a primary sphenoid sinus esthesioneuroblastoma and discuss the pathogenesis, clinical presentation, and treatment of this rare entity.
- Acromegaly due to an ectopic pituitary adenoma in the sphenoid sinusJ A Gondim
Neurosurgical Department, Hospital Geral de Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
Acta Radiol 45:689-91. 2004An ectopic pituitary adenoma, exclusively involving the sphenoid sinus, associated with a normal size pituitary gland and an empty sella is a rare clinical entity. Only four cases have been found in the literature...
- Sphenoid sinus ectopic pituitary adenomas: CT and MRI findingsB T Yang
Department of Radiology, Beijing Tongren Hospital, Capital Medical University, Dongcheng District, Beijing, China
Br J Radiol 83:218-24. 2010..The purpose of this study was to describe the CT and MRI features of sphenoid sinus EPAs...
- Bilateral consecutive blindness due to sphenoid sinus mucocele with unilateral partial recoveryJaime Levy
Department of Ophthalmology, Soroka University Medical Center, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Can J Ophthalmol 40:506-8. 2005We present an interventional case report of a rare occurrence of sphenoid sinus mucocele causing bilateral consecutive blindness with unilateral partial recovery after endoscopic surgery.
- Prolonged visual disturbance secondary to isolated sphenoid sinus diseaseLi Ang Lee
Department of Otolaryngology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Laryngoscope 114:986-90. 2004The objective was to evaluate the efficacy of endoscopic sinus surgery in patients with isolated sphenoid sinus disease with visual disturbances of more than 72 hours' duration.
- Metallic foreign body in the sphenoid sinus after ballistic injury: a case reportA Akhaddar
Department of Neurosurgery, Mohammed V Military Hospital, Rabat, Morocco
J Neuroradiol 35:125-8. 2008..Among them, penetrating maxillofacial injuries to the sphenoid sinus and skull base remain rare...
- Invasive fungal sinusitis of isolated sphenoid sinus in immunocompetent subjectsHemant Chopra
Department of ENT, Ludhiana, Punjab, India
Mycoses 49:30-6. 2006..Isolated involvement of any paranasal sinus, particularly sphenoid sinus is rare...
- The maxillary recess of the sphenoid sinusIulia Camelia Ciobanu
Department of Anatomy and Embryology, Victor Babes University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Timisoara, Romania
Rom J Morphol Embryol 50:487-9. 2009The most studied recess of the sphenoid sinus seems to be the lateral one, which is highly variable. Less attention seems to be paid to the maxillary recess, extending anterior, inferior and lateral towards the maxillary sinus...
- Proton radiation therapy for primary sphenoid sinus malignancies: treatment outcome and prognostic factorsMinh Tam Truong
Department of Radiation Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Head Neck 31:1297-308. 2009The purpose of this study was to determine treatment outcome and prognostic factors in patients with locally advanced primary sphenoid sinus malignancy treated with proton radiation therapy.
- A retrospective analysis of spontaneous sphenoid sinus fistula: MR and CT findingsP G Shetty
Department of Imaging, P D Hinduja National Hospital and Medical Research Centre, Mumbai, India
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 21:337-42. 2000The sphenoid sinus is rarely implicated as a site of spontaneous CSF fistula. We undertook this study to evaluate the potential etiopathogenesis of spontaneous CSF fistula involving the sphenoid sinus and to review the imaging findings.
- Spontaneous CSF-leaks and meningoencephaloceles in sphenoid sinus by persisting Sternberg's canalPeter Valentin Tomazic
Division of General ORL, Head and Neck Surgery, Medical University Graz, Graz, Austria
Rhinology 47:369-74. 2009..A congenital bony defect in the lateral wall of sphenoid sinus called Sternberg's canal could be the origin of these lesions...
- Isolated esthesioneuroblastoma of sphenoid sinusSuresh C Sharma
Departments of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Pathology, and Radiotherapy, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Am J Otolaryngol 23:287-9. 2002..In this report, we present an interesting case of isolated sphenoid sinus esthesioneuroblastoma, which is the first case to be reported in the literature, and discuss the pathology, ..
- Extensions of the sphenoid sinus: a new classificationJian Wang
Department of Neurosurgery University of Florida Gainesville, Florida, USA
Neurosurgery 66:797-816. 2010..been extended in recent years from tumors of the sellar region to lesions involving other areas bordering the sphenoid sinus including the cavernous sinus, Meckel's cave, middle cranial fossa, planum sphenoidal, suprasellar region, and ..
- Acromegaly in a patient with normal pituitary gland and somatotropic adenoma located in the sphenoid sinusMaria Kurowska
Department of Endocrinology, Medical University, Lublin, Poland
Endokrynol Pol 59:348-51. 2008..Even rarer are ectopic pituitary adenomas located in the sphenoid sinus or nasopharynx that originate from pituitary remnants in the craniopharyngeal duct...
- Endoscopic treatment of encephaloceles of the lateral wall of the sphenoid sinusE Pasquini
ENT Department, Sant Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 47:209-13. 2004....
- Growth hormone-secreting pituitary adenoma confined to the sphenoid sinus associated with a normal-sized empty sellaEmiko Hori
Department of Neurosurgery, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, Japan
J Clin Neurosci 9:196-9. 2002We present a case of growth hormone (GH)-secreting ectopic pituitary adenoma confined to the sphenoid sinus associated with a normal-sized empty sella. It has been well known that acromegaly is sometimes associated with an empty sella...
- Huge sphenoid sinus olfactory neuroblastoma: a case reportLeong Perng Chan
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 25:87-92. 2009..However, the origin and isolation of olfactory neuroblastomas to the sphenoid sinus is exceedingly rare...
- Endoscopic repair of cerebrospinal fluid leaks in the lateral sphenoid sinus recessBoaz Forer
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
J Neurosurg 112:444-8. 2010..The authors present their experience with repairs of 10 CSF leaks that were confined to the lateral sphenoid recess and were treated at the Singapore General Hospital...
- Evaluation and surgical management of isolated sphenoid sinus diseaseTimothy J Martin
Medical College of Wisconsin, 9200 W Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 128:1413-9. 2002To evaluate the pathologic conditions, preoperative evaluation, treatment, and clinical outcomes associated with sphenoid sinus disease.
- Sphenoid sinus chondromyxoid fibroma mimicking a mucoceleStephen E Vernon
Department of Pathology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL, USA
Am J Otolaryngol 27:406-8. 2006We report the case of a 44-year-old man who presented with a chondromyxoid fibroma (CMF) of the sphenoid sinus, which filled the sinus and clinically and radiologically resembled a mucocele...
- Sphenoid sinus paraganglioma: first reported caseBenjamin D Liess
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Missouri School of Medicine, Columbia, Missouri 65212, USA
Am J Otolaryngol 28:347-9. 2007..Rarely, this benign tumor may occur in the nose and paranasal sinus. We report a case of paraganglioma involving the sphenoid sinus, discuss histologic characteristics, and review this tumor.
- Pituitary apoplexy in the magnetic resonance imaging era: clinical significance of sphenoid sinus mucosal thickeningJames K Liu
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
J Neurosurg 104:892-8. 2006The authors report their experience with pituitary apoplexy and evaluate the clinical significance of sphenoid sinus mucosal thickening found on magnetic resonance (MR) imaging.
- Endoscopic transnasal management of cerebrospinal fluid leaks of the sphenoid sinusLuca Muscatello
Unit of Otorhinolaryngology Head Prof S Sellari Franceschini, Department of Neuroscience, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 38:396-402. 2010The authors reviewed the medical records of patients who had undergone endoscopic management of sphenoid sinus (SS) cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) leaks in our department between 2005 and 2007...
- Sphenoid encephaloceles: disease management and identification of lesions within the lateral recess of the sphenoid sinusStephen Y Lai
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Pennsylvania Health System, USA
Laryngoscope 112:1800-5. 2002..Encephaloceles can also result from temporal lobe herniation through a middle fossa defect into the sphenoid sinus. Within the sphenoid, encephaloceles are thought to occur most commonly in the central or midline aspect of ..
- Sphenoid sinus: an anatomic and endoscopic study in Asian cadaversH K K Tan
Department of Otolaryngology, KK Women s and Children s Hospital, Singapore
Clin Anat 20:745-50. 2007..and endoscopic study of 48 cadaveric heads (96 sphenoid sinuses) was undertaken to describe the anatomy of the sphenoid sinus in Asians. Sellar type of sphenoid sinus is the most common, present in 53 out of 96 sides (55%)...
- Petrous apex aspergillosis as a long-term complication of cholesterol granulomaJean Anderson Eloy
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
Laryngoscope 117:1199-201. 2007..Because of the potential lethal nature of this condition, aggressive surgical therapy should be considered early in this illness and may provide the best chance for survival...
- Coil migration after endovascular coil occlusion of internal carotid artery pseudoaneurysms within the sphenoid sinusT Struffert
Department of Neuroradiology, University of Erlangen, Erlangen, Germany
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 52:89-92. 2009We report two cases of coil migration after endovascular treatment of pseudoaneurysm of the internal carotid artery within the sphenoid sinus with coils and noncovered stents.
- An unusual presentation of a cholesterol granuloma in a pneumatized pterygoid process of the sphenoid sinusDavid A Weiland
Russell H Morgan Department of Radiology, Division of Neuroradiology, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 136:153-4. 2007
- Brown tumor of the sphenoid sinus in a patient with secondary hyperparathyroidism: CT and MR imaging findingsTohru Takeshita
Department of Radiology, Teikyo University School of Medicine, Ichihara Hospital, 3426 3 Anesaki, Ichihara, Chiba 299 0111, Japan
Radiat Med 22:265-8. 2004We present a case of brown tumor of the sphenoid sinus in a patient with secondary hyperparathyroidism. CT showed an expansile soft-tissue attenuation mass centered in the sphenoid sinus...
- Endoscopic endonasal transsphenoidal approach to the sella: towards functional endoscopic pituitary surgery (FEPS)P Cappabianca
Department of Neurosurgery Federico II University School of Medicine, Naples, Italy
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 41:66-73. 1998....
- [A rare case of isolated aspergilloma of the sphenoid sinus]F Avanzini
Divisione di ORL, Ospedale Serbelloni, Gorgonzola MI
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 11:483-9. 1991The authors report an interesting case of an isolated pathology of the sphenoid sinus (more precisely, in this case a mycotic infection of this paranasal sinus), up to a few years ago an extremely rare disease and still today an ..
- Surgical complications associated with the endoscopic endonasal transsphenoidal approach for pituitary adenomasPaolo Cappabianca
Department of Neurological Sciences, Federico II University, Naples, Italy
J Neurosurg 97:293-8. 2002....
- Surgical anatomy of the sphenoid sinus on the CT using multiplanar reconstruction techniqueKaori Enatsu
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Sakamoto, Nagasaki, Japan
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 138:182-6. 2008To clarify the three-dimensional anatomical features of the sphenoid sinus and its surrounding structures as are relevant to performing an endoscopic sphenoidotomy.
- [Sphenoid sinus lymphoma. Case report and review of the literature]P Metellus
Service de Neurochirurgie, Hopital de la Timone, Marseille
Neurochirurgie 48:522-6. 2002..Neuroradiological investigation showed a sphenoid sinus mass involving the sella and the clivus...
- Endoscopic approach to lesions of the sphenoid sinus, orbital apex, and clivusTodd T Kingdom
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
Am J Otolaryngol 24:317-22. 2003..In this report, we review our experience approaching lesions of the sphenoid sinus, orbital apex, and clivus via a transnasal endoscopic technique.
- [Anatomic variations of the sinuses; multiplanar CT-analysis in 641 patients]A Leunig
Klinik und Poliklinik für Hals Nasen Ohrenheilkunde
Laryngorhinootologie 87:482-9. 2008..Axial and sagittal views are often not available, yet they can provide important additional information...
- Myxofibrosarcoma of the sphenoid sinusPaul K Y Lam
Department of Surgery and Pathology, The University of Hong Kong Medical Centre, Queen Mary Hospital, Hongkong
J Laryngol Otol 116:464-6. 2002..Close collaboration between surgeon, radiologist, histopathologist and clinical oncologist in makng accurate diagnosis and appropriate management of this rare tumour are emphasized...
- Isolated sphenoid sinus disease: etiology and managementAaron Friedman
Section of Nasal and Sinus Disorders, Head and Neck Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 133:544-50. 2005To evaluate the diagnosis and management of isolated sphenoid sinus disease by using the current rhinologic standard of care.
- Endoscopic surgery for inverted papilloma originating from the sphenoid sinus and related clinical characteristicsHyung Ju Cho
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Acta Otolaryngol 128:1120-5. 2008..Because the lateral wall and floor of the sphenoid sinus are the most common origin and recurrence sites, the anterior wall of the sphenoid sinus should be opened as ..
- Endoscopic ligation of the sphenopalatine artery and the maxillary artery for the treatment of intractable posterior epistaxisSatoshi Seno
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Shiga University of Medical Science, Otsu, Shiga, Japan
Am J Rhinol Allergy 23:197-9. 2009..This investigation evaluates the effectiveness and complications of endoscopic ligation of the sphenopalatine or maxillary artery for the treatment of intractable posterior epistaxis...
- Quantitative computer-aided computed tomography analysis of sphenoid sinus anatomical relationshipsMartin J Citardi
Head and Neck Institute, Section of Nasal and Sinus Disorders, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Am J Rhinol 18:173-8. 2004..a novel computer-generated anatomic symmetry plane as a framework for the quantitative description of sphenoid sinus anatomy...
- Primary aspergillosis of the sphenoid sinus with pituitary invasion - a rare differential diagnosis of sellar lesionsT Pinzer
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Neurochirurgie, Universitatsklinikum Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 148:1085-90; discussion 1090. 2006..Isolated aspergillosis of the sphenoid sinus or the clivus is a difficult diagnosis, since the often misleading clinical manifestations of this rare ..
- MRI appearances of the sphenoid sinus at the late follow-up of trans-sphenoidal surgery for pituitary macroadenomaS E J Connor
Department of Neuroradiology, King s College Hospital, London, UK
Australas Radiol 46:33-40. 2002We aimed to demonstrate the appearances of the sphenoid sinus on MRI performed later than 2 years post- transsphenoidal surgery (TSS)...
- Primary sphenoid sinus neoplasms: a report of four cases with common clinical presentation treated with transsphenoidal surgery and adjuvant therapiesFelice Esposito
Department of Surgery, Division of Neurosurgery, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, California 90095 7182, USA
J Neurooncol 76:299-306. 2006Primary neoplasms of the sphenoid sinus are a rare occurrence, accounting for approximately 1-2% of all paranasal sinus tumors. Here we report a series of four such patients.
- Sphenoid sinus symmetry and differences between sexesBernardo Cunha Araujo Filho
Department of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology, School of Medicine, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Rhinology 46:195-9. 2008To evaluate the anatomic variations of neurovascular structures adjacent to the sphenoid sinus and their agreement between right and left sides as well as differences between sexes.
- The endoscopic extended transsphenoidal approach for craniopharyngiomasGiorgio Frank
Center of Surgery for Pituitary Tumours, Department of Neuroscience, Bellaria Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Neurosurgery 59:ONS75-83; discussion ONS75-83. 2006..The authors present their experience with this technique in 10 patients with craniopharyngiomas...
- Isolated sphenoid sinus disease: an analysis of 122 casesZheng min Wang
Department of Otolaryngology, Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital, Shanghai Medical University, People s Republic of China
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 111:323-7. 2002Isolated sphenoid sinus disease (ISSD) is a relatively uncommon disease...
- Transsphenoidal surgery for pituitary adenoma in elderly patientsJ M Sheehan
Department of Neurosurgery, Pennsylvania State College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 150:571-4; discussion 574. 2008..The current study was undertaken to evaluate the presentation and perioperative risk associated with transsphenoidal surgery in patients over the age of 70...
- Endoscopic endonasal approaches for repair of cerebrospinal fluid leaks: nine-year experienceDavide Locatelli
Department of Neurosurgery, Science Research and Cure Institute Policlinico S Matteo, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Neurosurgery 58:ONS-246-56; discussiom ONS-256-7. 2006..To describe surgical endoscopic experience in the repair of cerebrospinal fluid leaks treated by transnasal approaches...
- Mucoceles of the sphenoidal sinus: a report of four cases and review of the literatureY Darouassi
Departement of Oto Rhino Laryngology, Michallon Hospital, Grenoble, France
B-ENT 1:181-5. 2005..In light of these observations and a review of literature, the etiopathogenic characteristics, clinical aspects, and therapeutic indications of this localization are discussed...
- Extensive sphenoethmoid mucocele--an endoscopic managementKishore Chandra Prasad
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, Karnataka State, India
J Craniofac Surg 19:766-71. 2008....
- Outcome of functional endonasal sinus surgery with and without CT-navigationKurt P Tschopp
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Cantonal Hospital of Liestal, Liestal, Switzerland
Rhinology 46:116-20. 2008..Computer-assisted surgery (CAS) has found widespread use in functional endonasal sinus surgery (FESS) over the past few years. The present study investigates if CAS leads to a better outcome in FESS...
- [What is your diagnosis? Brown tumor of the right maxillary sinus]C Chammakhi-Jemli
Service de Radiologie, Service d OrL Hôpital Habib Thameur, Tunis, Tunisie, France
J Radiol 87:977-9. 2006
- The endoscopic endonasal transsphenoidal approach to the suprasellar cisternTheodore H Schwartz
Department of Neurological Surgery, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, New York, USA
Clin Neurosurg 54:226-35. 2007
- Endoscopic transsphenoidal treatment of hormonally active pituitary adenomasAdam Rudnik
Department of Neurosurgery, Silesian Medical University in Katowice, ul Medykow 14, 40 752 Katowice, Poland
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 28:438-44. 2007..The paper presents endoscopic surgical technique used in the treatment of hormonally active pituitary adenomas and assessment of the method in terms of its effectiveness and safety...
- [Endoscopic surgical treatment of patients with isolated sphenoid sinus disease]Pawel Strek
Katedra i Klinika Otolaryngologii Collegium Medicum UJ w Krakowie
Otolaryngol Pol 61:254-9. 2007Cases of isolated lesions of the sphenoid sinus are rare. For descriptive purposes, clinicians divide them into inflammatory and non-inflammatory with prevalence of the former...
- Nanostenting Hydrogels for Sinus SurgeryRICHARD ORLANDI; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of these Phase I studies will determine the feasibility and the optimal chemical properties of a nanostenting HA gel for human trials. ..
- Trigeminal Neuralgia Association 5th National ConferenceAlbert Rhoton; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Cytokines on Olfactory Receptor Neuron FunctionAndrew Lane; Fiscal Year: 2006..Additional bench research will be performed in the laboratory of Dr. Schleimer, an established scientist with expertise in airway inflammation and cytokine modulation of cell function. ..
- Optical imaging of epilepsy in rat and human neocortexTHEODORE SCHWARTZ; Fiscal Year: 2007..These experiments will set the groundwork for implementing optical recordings in general clinical practice as a novel technique for mapping and predicting human seizures. ..