Genomes and Genes
Summary: That portion of the nasal mucosa containing the sensory nerve endings for SMELL, located at the dome of each NASAL CAVITY. The yellow-brownish olfactory epithelium consists of OLFACTORY RECEPTOR NEURONS; brush cells; STEM CELLS; and the associated olfactory glands.
Publications319 found, 100 shown here
- Mutually exclusive glomerular innervation by two distinct types of olfactory sensory neurons revealed in transgenic zebrafishYuki Sato
Laboratory for Neurobiology of Synapse, RIKEN Brain Science Institute, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
J Neurosci 25:4889-97. 2005....
- A novel olfactory receptor gene family in teleost fishLuis R Saraiva
Institute of Genetics, University of Cologne, D 50674 Cologne, Germany
Genome Res 17:1448-57. 2007....
- Expression of members of the putative olfactory receptor gene family in mammalian germ cellsM Parmentier
IRIBHN, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium
Nature 355:453-5. 1992..Our finding suggests that a common receptor gene family encodes olfactory receptors and sperm cell receptors that could be involved in chemotaxis during fertilization...
- Mammalian achaete-scute homolog 1 is required for the early development of olfactory and autonomic neuronsF Guillemot
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Cell 75:463-76. 1993..These observations suggest that Mash-1, like its Drosophila homologs of the AS-C, controls a basic operation in development of neuronal progenitors in distinct neural lineages...
- Nested expression domains for odorant receptors in zebrafish olfactory epitheliumF Weth
Max Planck Institut fur Entwicklungsbiologie, Abteilung Physikalische Biologie, Tubingen, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:13321-6. 1996..This might represent the first step of spatial encoding of olfactory input or be essential for the development of the olfactory system...
- Diversity in the olfactory epithelium of bony fishes: development, lamellar arrangement, sensory neuron cell types and transduction componentsAnne Hansen
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center at Fitzsimons, Aurora, USA
J Neurocytol 34:183-208. 2005..There is not sufficient information to draw conclusions regarding the diversity of teleost olfactory receptors or transduction cascades...
- High-throughput microarray detection of olfactory receptor gene expression in the mouseXinmin Zhang
Department of Biological Sciences, Columbia University, New York, NY 10027, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:14168-73. 2004..This correlation between genomic location and spatial expression provides unique insights about the regulation of this large family of genes...
- Widespread ectopic expression of olfactory receptor genesEster Feldmesser
Department of Molecular Genetics, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
BMC Genomics 7:121. 2006..The present study systematically explores the expression patterns of OR genes in a large number of tissues and assesses the potential functional implication of such ectopic expression...
- Activin and GDF11 collaborate in feedback control of neuroepithelial stem cell proliferation and fateKimberly K Gokoffski
Department of Developmental and Cell Biology, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Development 138:4131-42. 2011..Thus, our findings demonstrate a close connection between the signals involved in the control of tissue size and those that regulate the proportions of different cell types...
- Terminal nerve-derived neuropeptide y modulates physiological responses in the olfactory epithelium of hungry axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum)Angela Mousley
School of Biological Sciences, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast BT9 7BL, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 26:7707-17. 2006....
- Effects of human OEC-derived cell transplants in rodent spinal cord contusion injuryCatherine Anne Gorrie
Neural Injury Research Unit, School of Medical Sciences, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, 2052, Australia
Brain Res 1337:8-20. 2010..In this study hOECs were derived from biopsies of human olfactory mucosa, purified by culture in a serum-free medium containing neurotrophin-3, genetically labelled with EGFP, and ..
- Protocols for two- and three-color fluorescent RNA in situ hybridization of the main and accessory olfactory epithelia in mouseTomohiro Ishii
The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Neurocytol 33:657-69. 2004..The protocol is applied to cryosections of the main and accessory olfactory epithelia in mouse...
- Neural crest origin of olfactory ensheathing gliaPerrine Barraud
Department of Physiology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 3DY, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:21040-5. 2010....
- Lamina propria and olfactory bulb ensheathing cells exhibit differential integration and migration and promote differential axon sprouting in the lesioned spinal cordMiranda W Richter
Department of Zoology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V5Z 4H4
J Neurosci 25:10700-11. 2005....
- Mash1 and Ngn1 control distinct steps of determination and differentiation in the olfactory sensory neuron lineageElise Cau
IGBMC, 1 rue Laurent Fries, 67404 Illkirch Cedex, CU de Strasbourg, France
Development 129:1871-80. 2002..These results illustrate the versatility of neural bHLH genes which adopt either a determination or a differentiation function, depending primarily on the timing of their expression in neural progenitors...
- Multipotent stem cells from adult olfactory mucosaWayne Murrell
Eskitis Institute for Cell and Molecular Therapies, Griffith University, Brisbane, Australia
Dev Dyn 233:496-515. 2005..Neurogenesis also occurs in an accessible part of the nervous system, the olfactory mucosa. We show here that cells from human olfactory mucosa generate neurospheres that are multipotent in vitro and ..
- Continuous and overlapping expression domains of odorant receptor genes in the olfactory epithelium determine the dorsal/ventral positioning of glomeruli in the olfactory bulbKazunari Miyamichi
Core Research for Evolutional Science and Technology, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113 0032, Japan
J Neurosci 25:3586-92. 2005..The present study indicates that the OR gene choice may be more restricted by the OSN location in the OE than what has been thought...
- Multidrug resistance transporters in the olfactory receptor neurons of Xenopus laevis tadpolesIvan Manzini
Physiologisches Institut, Universitat Gottingen, Humboldtallee 23, 37073 Gottingen, Germany
J Physiol 546:375-85. 2003..This endows ORNs with the ability to transport a large number of substrates including calcium-indicator dyes and calcein across their plasma membranes. Conversely, blocking P-glycoprotein and MRP increases the net uptake of these dyes...
- Mammalian olfactory receptors: pharmacology, G protein coupling and desensitizationAya Kato
Department of Integrated Biosciences, The University of Tokyo, Room 201, 5 1 5, Kashiwanoha, Kashiwa, Chiba 277 8562, Japan
Cell Mol Life Sci 66:3743-53. 2009..A greater understanding of the molecular mechanisms underlying OR activity may help in the discovery of agonists and antagonists of ORs, and of GPCRs with potential therapeutic applications...
- Neural regeneration and the peripheral olfactory systemJames E Schwob
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Anat Rec 269:33-49. 2002..Rather, odorant receptor-defined subclasses of neurons innervate an excessive number of glomeruli in the rough vicinity of their original glomerular targets...
- Shared and unique G alpha proteins in the zebrafish versus mammalian senses of taste and smellYuichiro Oka
Institut fur Genetik, Universitat zu Koln, Zülpicher Strasse 47a, Koln, Germany
Chem Senses 36:357-65. 2011..Our results show general similarity to the mammalian situation but also clear-cut differences and as such are essential for using the zebrafish model system to study chemosensory perception...
- Morphometric and ultrastructural comparison of the olfactory system in elasmobranchs: the significance of structure-function relationships based on phylogeny and ecologyVera Schluessel
School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Queensland, St Lucia, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
J Morphol 269:1365-86. 2008..This is the first comprehensive study comparing olfactory morphology to several aspects of elasmobranch ecology in a phylogenetic context...
- Olfactory ensheathing cells do not exhibit unique migratory or axonal growth-promoting properties after spinal cord injuryPaul Lu
Department of Neuroscience, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
J Neurosci 26:11120-30. 2006....
- Stimulation of olfactory ensheathing cell motility enhances olfactory axon growthLouisa C E Windus
National Centre for Adult Stem Cell Research, Eskitis Institute for Cell and Molecular Therapies, Griffith University, Nathan 4111, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Cell Mol Life Sci 68:3233-47. 2011..These results demonstrate that the migration of OECs strongly regulates the motility of axons and that stimulation of OEC motility enhances axon extension and growth cone activity...
- Histological and ultrastructural characteristics of the primordial vomeronasal organ in lungfishShoko Nakamuta
Laboratory of Veterinary Anatomy, Faculty of Agriculture, Iwate University, Morioka, Iwate 020 8550, Japan
Anat Rec (Hoboken) 295:481-91. 2012..This study may provide important clues to elucidate how the vomeronasal organ emerged during the evolution of vertebrates...
- Trafficking and secretion of matrix metalloproteinase-2 in olfactory ensheathing glial cells: A role in cell migration?Yatma Gueye
Neurobiologie des Interactions Cellulaires et Neurophysiopathologie, UMR 6184 CNRS Université Aix Marseille II, Faculte de Medecine, CS80011, Bd Pierre Dramard, 13344 Marseille Cedex 15, France
Glia 59:750-70. 2011..Finally, we show that MMPs are involved in migration of OECs in vitro on different ECM substrates...
- Mesenchymal/epithelial induction mediates olfactory pathway formationA S LaMantia
Department of Cell and Molecular Physiology and Center for Neuroscience, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Medical School, 27599, USA
Neuron 28:411-25. 2000..Thus, a cellular and molecular mechanism that facilitates musculoskeletal and vascular development elsewhere in the embryo has been adapted to guide the differentiation of the olfactory pathway in the developing forebrain...
- Crypt cells of the zebrafish Danio rerio mainly project to the dorsomedial glomerular field of the olfactory bulbJosé Gayoso
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Sciences, University of A Coruna, A Coruna, Spain
Chem Senses 37:357-69. 2012The olfactory mucosa of the zebrafish consists of 3 morphological types of olfactory receptor neurons (ORNs): ciliated, microvillous, and crypt cells...
- A comparative study of glial and non-neural cell properties for transplant-mediated repair of the injured spinal cordAndrew Toft
Spinal Cord Group, Institute of Neuroscience and Psychology, College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, G12 8QQ, United Kingdom
Glia 61:513-28. 2013..Thus, purified glial cells have advantages for transplant-mediated repair, combining maximal support for axonal regeneration with a minimal astrocytic reaction around the transplant site...
- Differential distribution of olfactory receptor neurons in goldfish: structural and molecular correlatesAnne Hansen
Rocky Mountain Taste and Smell Center, Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
J Comp Neurol 477:347-59. 2004..V2R- and OR-type receptor molecules do not colocalize in one cell, and only crypt-type ORNs express more than one G-protein...
- Expression of vomeronasal receptor genes in Xenopus laevisKimiko Hagino-Yamagishi
Department of Ultrastructural Research, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Medical Science, Tokyo 113 8613, Japan
J Comp Neurol 472:246-56. 2004..The analysis of V2R expression in Xenopus larvae demonstrates that V2Rs are predominantly expressed in the VNO even before metamorphosis...
- Odorant tuning of olfactory crypt cells from juvenile and adult rainbow troutAlejandra Bazáes
Centro Interdisciplinario de Neurociencia de Valparaíso, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Valparaiso, Avda Gran Bretaña 1111, 2360102 Playa Ancha, Valparaiso, Chile
J Exp Biol 215:1740-8. 2012..These results support an involvement of olfactory crypt cells in reproduction-related olfactory signaling in fishes...
- CX₃CR1 deficiency exacerbates neuronal loss and impairs early regenerative responses in the target-ablated olfactory epitheliumLinda V Blomster
School of Anatomy and Human Biology, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Mol Cell Neurosci 48:236-45. 2011....
- Autologous olfactory mucosal cell transplants in clinical spinal cord injury: a randomized double-blinded trial in a canine translational modelNicolas Granger
Department of Veterinary Medicine, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, CB3 0ES, UK
Brain 135:3227-37. 2012..However, we find no evidence for concomitant improvement in long tract function...
- Emerging views on the distinct but related roles of the main and accessory olfactory systems in responsiveness to chemosensory signals in miceDiego Restrepo
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Neuroscience Program and Rocky Mountain Taste and Smell Center, School of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Horm Behav 46:247-56. 2004..In each case, one system or the other (or both) participates in a specific behavioral or hormonal response...
- Purinergic receptor activation evokes neurotrophic factor neuropeptide Y release from neonatal mouse olfactory epithelial slicesShami Kanekar
Department of Physiology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
J Neurosci Res 87:1424-34. 2009....
- NPY mediates ATP-induced neuroproliferation in adult mouse olfactory epitheliumCuihong Jia
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, 48824, USA
Neurobiol Dis 38:405-13. 2010..These data indicate that ATP initiates neuroproliferation via NPY upregulation, NPY release, and Y1 receptor activation, and suggests that the olfactory epithelium is good model to study neuroregenerative mechanisms in the CNS...
- Generation and characterization of a Cyp2f2-null mouse and studies on the role of CYP2F2 in naphthalene-induced toxicity in the lung and nasal olfactory mucosaLei Li
Wadsworth Center, New York State Department of Health, and School of Public Health, State University of New York at Albany, Albany, New York 12201 0509, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 339:62-71. 2011..catalytic efficiency of microsomal NA epoxygenases in lung (up to ~160-fold), liver (~3-fold), and nasal olfactory mucosa (OM; up to ~16-fold), and significant decreases in rates of systemic NA (300 mg/kg i.p.) clearance...
- Multipotency of purified, transplanted globose basal cells in olfactory epitheliumXueyan Chen
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
J Comp Neurol 469:457-74. 2004..The results suggest that progenitor cell transplantation may prove useful as a therapeutic modality as well as an analytical tool...
- Immunolocalisation of P2X and P2Y nucleotide receptors in the rat nasal mucosaShimona Gayle
Autonomic Neuroscience Institute, Royal Free and University College Medical School, Rowland Hill Street, London, NW3 2PF, UK
Cell Tissue Res 319:27-36. 2005..P2Y2 receptor immunoreactivity was localised to the mucus-secreting cells within the VNO. The possible functional roles of these receptors are discussed...
- ATP differentially upregulates fibroblast growth factor 2 and transforming growth factor α in neonatal and adult mice: effect on neuroproliferationC Jia
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Neuroscience 177:335-46. 2011..These data suggest that different mechanisms regulate neurogenesis in neonatal and adult OE, and FGF2 and TGFα may have different roles throughout development...
- Widespread defects in the primary olfactory pathway caused by loss of Mash1 functionRichard C Murray
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Developmental Biology Center, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, California 92697 2300, USA
J Neurosci 23:1769-80. 2003....
- Chemotopic odorant coding in a mammalian olfactory systemBrett A Johnson
Department of Neurobiology and Behavior, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697 4550, USA
J Comp Neurol 503:1-34. 2007..A critical analysis suggests that alternative coding mechanisms for odor quality, such as those based on temporal patterns of responses, enjoy little experimental support...
- Unique in vivo properties of olfactory ensheathing cells that may contribute to neural repair and protection following spinal cord injuryJeffery D Kocsis
Department of Neurology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, 06516, USA
Neurosci Lett 456:137-42. 2009..In this review we focus on several unique features of OECs when they are transplanted into the spinal cord...
- Odorant receptor map in the mouse olfactory bulb: in vivo sensitivity and specificity of receptor-defined glomeruliYuki Oka
Department of Integrated Biosciences, The University of Tokyo, Chiba 277 8562, Japan
Neuron 52:857-69. 2006..Our results provide a methodology to examine in vivo glomerular responses at the receptor level and further help address the long-standing issues of olfactory sensitivity and specificity under physiological conditions...
- Anoctamin 2/TMEM16B: a calcium-activated chloride channel in olfactory transductionSimone Pifferi
SISSA, International School for Advanced Studies, and Italian Institute of Technology, SISSA Unit, via Bonomea 265, 34136 Trieste, Italy
Exp Physiol 97:193-9. 2012..Finally, we discuss the involvement of Ca(2+)-activated Cl(-) channels in the transduction process of vomeronasal sensory neurons and the physiological role of these channels in olfaction...
- Expression of pax6 and sox2 in adult olfactory epitheliumZhen Guo
Cell, Molecular, and Developmental Biology Graduate Program, Sackler School of Graduate Biomedical Sciences, Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Comp Neurol 518:4395-418. 2010..Each of the Sox2/Pax6-colabeled cell types is at a remove from the birth of neurons; thus, suppressing their differentiation may be among the roles of Sox2/Pax6 in the olfactory epithelium...
- Leukemia inhibitory factor is a key signal for injury-induced neurogenesis in the adult mouse olfactory epitheliumS Bauer
Unité Mixte de Recherche 5020 Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Université Lyon I, 69622 Villeurbanne, France
J Neurosci 23:1792-803. 2003..Taken together, these results suggest that injured OSNs release LIF as a stimulus to initiate their own replacement...
- Correlation between olfactory receptor cell type and function in the channel catfishAnne Hansen
Department of Cellular and Structural Biology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
J Neurosci 23:9328-39. 2003..Finally, amino acid odorants activate both ciliated and microvillous ORNs but via different transduction pathways in the two types of cells...
- The roles of Pax6 in the cornea, retina, and olfactory epithelium of the developing mouse embryoJ Martin Collinson
Division of Reproductive and Developmental Sciences, Genes and Development Group, University of Edinburgh, Hugh Robson Building, George Square, Edinburgh EH8 9XD, Scotland, UK
Dev Biol 255:303-12. 2003....
- Odorant stimulation enhances survival of olfactory sensory neurons via MAPK and CREBWilliam C Watt
Department of Pharmacology, The University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Neuron 41:955-67. 2004..We further demonstrate that odorant stimuli rescue OSNs in a cAMP-dependent manner by activating the MAPK/CREB-dependent transcriptional pathway, possibly as a result of expression of Bcl-2...
- The electroolfactogram: a review of its history and usesJohn W Scott
Department of Cell Biology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Microsc Res Tech 58:152-60. 2002..A number of technical issues associated with EOG recording are also discussed...
- Autologous olfactory ensheathing cell transplantation in human paraplegia: a 3-year clinical trialA Mackay-Sim
National Centre for Adult Stem Cell Research, Eskitis Institute for Cell and Molecular Therapies, Griffith University, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Brain 131:2376-86. 2008....
- Hypomorphic CEP290/NPHP6 mutations result in anosmia caused by the selective loss of G proteins in cilia of olfactory sensory neuronsDyke P McEwen
Department of Pharmacology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:15917-22. 2007..The assessment of olfactory function can, therefore, serve as a useful diagnostic tool for genetic screening of certain syndromic ciliary diseases...
- Olfactory epithelium progenitors: insights from transgenic mice and in vitro biologyBarbara Murdoch
Departments of Zoology and Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
J Mol Histol 38:581-99. 2007..of evidence that support the existence of a heterogeneous population of neural and glial progenitors in the olfactory mucosa, and highlight the differences in the identity and activity of progenitors found in the embryonic and adult ..
- Tmem16b is specifically expressed in the cilia of olfactory sensory neuronsSebastian Rasche
Neuroscience Research Center, Charite, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Chem Senses 35:239-45. 2010..Native Tmem16b is localized in the cilia of the OSNs, which is in agreement with previous electrophysiological recordings...
- Hes genes regulate sequential stages of neurogenesis in the olfactory epitheliumE Cau
IGBMC, CNRS INSERM Universite Louis Pasteur, BP 163, CU de Strasbourg, France
Development 127:2323-32. 2000..Therefore, the olfactory sensory neuron lineage is regulated at several steps by negative signals acting through different Hes genes and targeting the expression of different proneural gene homologs...
- Modeling inspiratory and expiratory steady-state velocity fields in the Sprague-Dawley rat nasal cavityGeoffrey C Yang
Department of Bioengineering, School of Engineering and Applied Science, University of Pennsylvania, 240 Skirkanich Hall 6321, 210 S 33rd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Chem Senses 32:215-23. 2007..The rat nasal velocity calculations will be used to study the distribution of odorant uptake onto the rat olfactory mucosa and compare it with the known anatomic location of some types of rat olfactory receptors.
- Mouse olfactory sensory neurons express 10,000 genesNeeraja Sammeta
Department of Physiology, Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience of Sensory Systems Training Program, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40536 0298, USA
J Comp Neurol 502:1138-56. 2007..Within limits prescribed by the nature of microarray data and the in situ hybridization validation, these data should be useful in directing further experiments on OSN function...
- Differentially expressed transcripts from phenotypically identified olfactory sensory neuronsTun Tzu Yu
Department of Physiology and The Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience of Sensory Systems Program, The University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40536 0298, USA
J Comp Neurol 483:251-62. 2005..Within the olfactory epithelium, Cbr2 is a new anatomical marker for sustentacular cells. We also discovered that Reg3g is a marker for respiratory epithelium...
- Olfactory transmission of neurotropic virusesIsamu Mori
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Research Center for Infectious Disease, Aichi Medical University School of Medecine, Aichi, Japan
J Neurovirol 11:129-37. 2005..Here the authors review the olfactory transmission of infectious agents and the resulting hazards to human and animal health...
- Specific projection of the sensory crypt cells in the olfactory system in crucian carp, Carassius carassiusEl Hassan Hamdani
Department of Molecular Biosciences, University of Oslo, PO Box 1041, Blindern, 0316 Oslo, Norway
Chem Senses 31:63-7. 2006..Because this bundle of the tract mediates reproductive behavior, it is conceivable that crypt cells express olfactory receptors for sex pheromones...
- TRPM5-expressing solitary chemosensory cells respond to odorous irritantsWeihong Lin
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Maryland Baltimore County, Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
J Neurophysiol 99:1451-60. 2008..Together, our data show that the TRPM5-expressing cells respond to a variety of chemicals at high exposure levels typical of irritants and are positioned in the nasal cavity appropriately to monitor inhaled air quality...
- Genomics of mature and immature olfactory sensory neuronsMelissa D Nickell
Department of Physiology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40536 0298, USA
J Comp Neurol 520:2608-29. 2012..This OSN gene database not only predicts the genes responsible for the major biological processes active in OSNs, but also identifies thousands of never before studied genes that support OSN phenotypes...
- Olfactory mechanisms of stereotyped behavior: on the scent of specialized circuitsLisa Stowers
Department of Cell Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Curr Opin Neurobiol 20:274-80. 2010..This review focuses on these non-VNO receptors and neurons, and evaluates their potential for mediating stereotyped olfactory behavior in mammals...
- Patient-derived olfactory mucosa cells but not lung or skin fibroblasts mediate axonal regeneration of retinal ganglion neuronsVega García-Escudero
Department of Molecular Biology, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, 28049 Cantoblanco, Spain
Neurosci Lett 509:27-32. 2012Although human olfactory mucosa derived cells (OMC) have been used in animal models and clinical trials with CNS repair purposes, the exact identity of these cells in culture with respect to their tissue of origin is not fully understood ..
- Asynchronous onset of odorant receptor expression in the developing zebrafish olfactory systemA L Barth
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley 94720, USA
Neuron 16:23-34. 1996....
- p63 regulates olfactory stem cell self-renewal and differentiationRussell B Fletcher
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Helen Wills Neuroscience Institute and Functional Genomics Laboratory, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 3200, USA
Neuron 72:748-59. 2011..These results provide critical insight into the genetic regulation of the olfactory stem cell in vivo and more generally provide an entrée toward understanding the coordination of stem cell self-renewal and differentiation...
- Enhancement of the growth and differentiation of nasal olfactory mucosa cells by the conjugation of growth factors to functional nanoparticlesHadas Skaat
Department of Chemistry, Bar Ilan Institute of Nanotechnology and Advanced Materials, Ramat Gan, Israel
Bioconjug Chem 22:2600-10. 2011..In the present study, nasal olfactory mucosa (NOM) cells from adult rats were cultured in suspension on chitosan microcarriers (MCs) in the presence of ..
- Axon growth and guidance genes identify nascent, immature, and mature olfactory sensory neuronsJeremy C McIntyre
Department of Physiology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40536 0298, USA
J Neurosci Res 88:3243-56. 2010....
- Functional identification and reconstitution of an odorant receptor in single olfactory neuronsK Touhara
Department of Neurochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:4040-5. 1999..The present approach should enable us to examine not only ligand specificity of an odorant receptor but also receptor specificity and diversity for a particular odorant of interest...
- A balance of BMP and notch activity regulates neurogenesis and olfactory nerve formationEsther Maier
Umeå Center for Molecular Medicine, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
PLoS ONE 6:e17379. 2011....
- Limited functional recovery in rats with complete spinal cord injury after transplantation of whole-layer olfactory mucosa: laboratory investigationMasanori Aoki
Department of Neurosurgery, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
J Neurosurg Spine 12:122-30. 2010The olfactory mucosa (OM) consists of 2 layers, the epithelium and the lamina propria...
- Sequential onset of presynaptic molecules during olfactory sensory neuron maturationFlorencia Marcucci
Department of Biological Sciences, Columbia University, New York, New York 10027, USA
J Comp Neurol 516:187-98. 2009..In addition, contact with the targets in the olfactory bulb is not controlling presynaptic protein gene expression, suggesting that olfactory sensory neurons follow an intrinsic program of development...
- Differential expression of components of the retinoic acid signaling pathway in the adult mouse olfactory epitheliumCAROLYN E PELUSO
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
J Comp Neurol 520:3707-26. 2012..phenotype, for example, differential expression of odorant receptors and cell adhesion molecules across the olfactory mucosa (OM)...
- Nucleotide-induced Ca2+ signaling in sustentacular supporting cells of the olfactory epitheliumThomas Hassenklöver
Department of Neurophysiology and Cellular Biophysics, University of Gottingen, Humboldtallee 23, Gottingen, Germany
Glia 56:1614-24. 2008..Our findings suggest that extracellular nucleotides in the OE activate SCs via P2Y2/P2Y4-like receptors and initiate a characteristic intraepithelial Ca2+ wave...
- Competence, specification and commitment to an olfactory placode fateSujata Bhattacharyya
Division of Biology, 139 74, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Development 135:4165-77. 2008....
- Olfactory ensheathing cells: the primary innate immunocytes in the olfactory pathway to engulf apoptotic olfactory nerve debrisZhida Su
Institute of Neuroscience and Key Laboratory of Molecular Neurobiology of Ministry of Education, Neuroscience Research Center of Changzheng Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
Glia 61:490-503. 2013..Importantly, engulfment of olfactory nerve debris by OECs was found in olfactory mucosa under normal turnover and was significantly increased in the animal model of olfactory bulbectomy, while ..
- The effects of unilateral naris occlusion on gene expression profiles in mouse olfactory mucosaDavid M Coppola
Department of Biology, Randolph Macon College, Ashland, VA 23005, USA
J Mol Neurosci 47:604-18. 2012..key genes involved in olfactory reception, transduction, and transmission were up-regulated in deprived-side olfactory mucosa, with opposite effects in non-deprived-side mucosa, compared to controls...
- Purinergic signaling regulates cell proliferation of olfactory epithelium progenitorsThomas Hassenklöver
Department of Neurophysiology and Cellular Biophysics, University of Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
Stem Cells 27:2022-31. 2009..Our data contribute to a better understanding of the regulation of the cell turnover in the OE in particular and also of how the proliferation of neuronal progenitor cells is regulated in general...
- Neuropeptide Y enhances olfactory mucosa responses to odorant in hungry ratsJulia Negroni
INRA, UR1197 Neurobiologie de l Olfaction et Modélisation en Imagerie, Jouy en Josas, France
PLoS ONE 7:e45266. 2012..have recently demonstrated that another nutritional cue, insulin, modulates the odorant responses of the rat olfactory mucosa (OM)...
- Decreased olfactory mucus secretion and nasal abnormality in mice lacking type 2 and type 3 IP3 receptorsNanaho Fukuda
Laboratory for Developmental Neurobiology, Brain Science Institute, RIKEN, 2 1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
Eur J Neurosci 27:2665-75. 2008..Our findings suggest that IP3R2 and IP3R3 mediate nasal mucus secretion, which is important for the maintenance of nasal tissue as well as the perception of odors...
- Renal cystic disease proteins play critical roles in the organization of the olfactory epitheliumJennifer L Pluznick
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Yale School of Medicine New Haven, Connecticut, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e19694. 2011..These data show that multiple renal cystic proteins localize to the OE, where we speculate that they work together to regulate aspects of the development, maintenance or physiological activities of cilia...
- Neuropeptide Y and extracellular signal-regulated kinase mediate injury-induced neuroregeneration in mouse olfactory epitheliumCuihong Jia
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Mol Cell Neurosci 49:158-70. 2012..There were no synergistic effects of ATP and NPY or FGF2 on OE neuroregeneration. These data clearly have implications for the pharmacological modulation of neuroregeneration in the olfactory epithelium...
- The proteome of rat olfactory sensory ciliaUlrich Mayer
Department of Molecular Physiology, Institute of Zoology, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Proteomics 9:322-34. 2009..Organellar proteomics thus yielded decisive information about the diverse physiological functions of a sensory organelle...
- Odorant receptor expression patterns are restored in lesion-recovered rat olfactory epitheliumCarrie L Iwema
Department of Neurosurgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
J Neurosci 24:356-69. 2004..Thus, the primary sensory elements required for functional recovery of the olfactory system after damage are restored, and altered function implies the persistence of a more central failure in regeneration...
- ATP mediates neuroprotective and neuroproliferative effects in mouse olfactory epithelium following exposure to satratoxin G in vitro and in vivoCuihong Jia
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Toxicol Sci 124:169-78. 2011..These data indicate that ATP is released and promotes cell proliferation via activation of purinergic receptors in SG-induced OE injury. Thus, the purinergic system is a therapeutic target to alleviate or restore the loss of OSNs...
- Six1 is indispensable for production of functional progenitor cells during olfactory epithelial developmentKeiko Ikeda
Division of Biology, Center for Molecular Medicine, Jichi Medical University, Shimotsuke, Tochigi, Japan
Int J Dev Biol 54:1453-64. 2010....
- V-ATPase expression in the mouse olfactory epitheliumTeodor G Paunescu
Center for Systems Biology, Program in Membrane Biology and Division of Nephrology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 295:C923-30. 2008..These findings suggest that V-ATPase may be involved in proton secretion in the OE and, as such, may be important for the pH homeostasis of the neuroepithelial mucous layer and/or for signal transduction in CO(2) detection...
- CX3CL1/fractalkine regulates branching and migration of monocyte-derived cells in the mouse olfactory epitheliumMarc J Ruitenberg
School of Anatomy and Human Biology, Faculty of Life and Physical Sciences, The University of Western Australia, Crawley, Australia
J Neuroimmunol 205:80-5. 2008..These observations are first to demonstrate phenotypic differences in appearance and distribution of monocyte-derived cells in nervous tissue due to CX3CR1 deficiency...
- Activation of purinergic receptors induces proliferation and neuronal differentiation in Swiss Webster mouse olfactory epitheliumC Jia
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48823, USA
Neuroscience 163:120-8. 2009..We propose that extracellular ATP released upon injury could induce proliferation and promote the neuroregeneration of the olfactory epithelium...
- Neuropeptide Y in the olfactory microvillar cellsGiorgia Montani
Department of Neuroscience, University of Parma, Via Volturno, 39, I 43100, Parma, Italy
Eur J Neurosci 24:20-4. 2006..Our findings allow for the first time to suggest that microvillar cells are involved in connecting apoptosis to neuronal regeneration by stimulus-induced release of NPY...
- Nickel sulfate induces location-dependent atrophy of mouse olfactory epithelium: protective and proliferative role of purinergic receptor activationCuihong Jia
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Toxicol Sci 115:547-56. 2010..These data provide therapeutic strategies to alleviate or cure the loss of olfactory function associated with exposure to nickel compounds...
- Effects of typical inducers on olfactory xenobiotic-metabolizing enzyme, transporter, and transcription factor expression in ratsNicolas Thiebaud
Centre des Sciences du Gout et de l Alimentation, UMR 1324 INRA, UMR 6265 CNRS, Universite de Bourgogne, AgroSup Dijon, 17 rue Sully, Dijon, France
Drug Metab Dispos 38:1865-75. 2010Several xenobiotic-metabolizing enzymes (XMEs) have been identified in the olfactory mucosa (OM) of mammals. However, the molecular mechanisms underlying the regulation of these enzymes have been little explored...
- The endocannabinoid 2-arachidonoyl-glycerol controls odor sensitivity in larvae of Xenopus laevisEsther Breunig
Department of Neurophysiology and Cellular Biophysics, University of Gottingen, 37073 Gottingen, Germany
J Neurosci 30:8965-73. 2010..Hunger renders olfactory neurons more sensitive. Endocannabinoid modulation in the nose may therefore substantially influence food-seeking behavior...
- PACAP protects against TNFα-induced cell death in olfactory epithelium and olfactory placodal cell linesShami Kanekar
Department of Physiology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
Mol Cell Neurosci 45:345-54. 2010..PACAP may therefore function through PAC1 receptors to protect neurons from cell death during inflammatory cytokine release in vivo as would occur upon viral infection or allergic rhinitis-associated injury...
- State-dependent sculpting of olfactory sensory neurons is attributed to sensory enrichment, odor deprivation, and agingMelissa Ann Cavallin
Department of Biology, University of West Georgia, Carrollton, GA, USA
Neurosci Lett 483:90-5. 2010..These findings suggest that voltage-gated activity of the mitral cells is important for OSN plasticity, and can prevent neuronal loss via sensory- and OR-dependent mechanisms...
- Characterization of microsomal cytochrome P450-dependent monooxygenases in the rat olfactory mucosaAnne Laure Minn
UMR 1234 Toxicologie Alimentaire, INRA Université de Bourgogne, Faculte de Pharmacie, 7, boulevard Jeanne d Arc, BP 87900, 21079 Dijon Cedex, France
Drug Metab Dispos 33:1229-37. 2005..Many recent studies have pointed out the presence of xenobiotic-metabolizing enzymes in rat olfactory mucosa (OM)...
- Olfactory transduction in ciliated receptor neurons of the Cabinza grunt, Isacia conceptionis (Teleostei: Haemulidae)Oliver Schmachtenberg
Centro de Neurociencias de Valparaiso, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Valparaiso, Avda Gran Bretania 1111, Playa Ancha, Valparaiso, Chile
Eur J Neurosci 20:3378-86. 2004....
- Cloning and expression of odorant-binding proteins Ia and Ib from mouse nasal tissueD Pes
Dipartimento di Chimica e Biotecnologie Agrarie, University of Pisa, Italy
Gene 212:49-55. 1998..In-situ hybridisation has revealed identical expression patterns for the two proteins, further supporting the heterodimeric structure of these proteins in the nasal mucus...
- Olfactory receptor neurons prevent dissemination of neurovirulent influenza A virus into the brain by undergoing virus-induced apoptosisIsamu Mori
Department of Microbiology, Fukui Medical University School of Medicine, 23 3 Matsuoka cho, Yoshida gun, Fukui 910 1193, Japan
J Gen Virol 83:2109-16. 2002..These results raise the possibility that induction of apoptosis in olfactory receptor neurons at an early stage of infection may provide protective effects against invasion of the neurovirulent virus from the peripheral to the CNS...
- A NOVEL METHOD TO TREAT CHRONIC PAINSATHYANARAYANA N MURTHY; Fiscal Year: 2013..The permeation of drug and drug-TPGS nano co-micelles across the olfactory mucosa will be investigated in vitro, in presence and absence of BMAs...
- Therapeutic rescue of an olfactory ciliopathyJEREMY MCINTYRE; Fiscal Year: 2012..Individual olfactory sensory neurons (OSNs) contain over 20 cilia that project into the olfactory mucosa and are responsible for detecting odorants...
- Anterior Olfactory NucleusPeter C Brunjes; Fiscal Year: 2013..Nevertheless, it has been virtually ignored compared with studies of the olfactory mucosa, bulb and piriform cortex...
- INTEGRATION OF CHEMOSENSORY AND HORMONAL STIMULIRuth Wood; Fiscal Year: 2006..Aim 2A will investigate the transduction of rewarding chemosensory cues in the olfactory mucosa and/or vomeronasal organ. Aims 2B and 2C will focus on central targets of the olfactory bulbs...
- ROLE OF HUMAN NASAL MUCOSAL P450 IN HEAD AND NECK CANCERXinxin Ding; Fiscal Year: 2001The long-term goal is to determine the toxic impact of environmental agents on the olfactory mucosa and neighboring head and neck organs. The specific aims for this proposal are: (1)...
- SENSORY NEUROTOXICOLOGY - TOXIC METALS AND OLFACTIONLloyd Hastings; Fiscal Year: 1993..has focused on the heavy metals, cadmium and nickel; in this protocol , zinc, due to its potent effect on the olfactory mucosa will be evaluated...
- GENETIC MICROSYSTEMS GMS417 ARRAY SEQUENCER/418 ARRAYERLorraine Flaherty; Fiscal Year: 2000..memory and cerebellar development, identifying human genes important for degeneration and regeneration of olfactory mucosa, determining factors involved in DNA exchange in Mycobacterium, identifying genes controlled by cell cycle ..
- OLFACTORY MECHANISMS OF CORTICOSTEROID ACTIONRobert Kern; Fiscal Year: 2000This research is designed to evaluate the hypothesis that the olfactory mucosa is subject to regulation by adrenal corticosteroid hormones, including the mineralocorticoid aldosterone, as well as glucorticoid hormones...
- MECHANISM OF INDUCTION OF OLFACTORY TUMORS BY ALACHLORMary Beth Genter; Fiscal Year: 2002..dietary exposure to alachlor causes a variety of tumors, including adenomas and adneocarcinoams of the olfactory mucosa in rats...
- Extracellular matrix in chloracetanilide carcinogenesisMary Beth Genter; Fiscal Year: 2004..of rats to the chloracetanilide herbicide alachlor causes tumor formation in multiple sites, including the olfactory mucosa, thyroid, and stomach...
- Sphingolipid signaling in olfactory mucosaMary Beth Genter; Fiscal Year: 2004The peripheral olfactory mucosa is a fascinating model system for several reasons...
- CYCLIC NUCLEOTIDE PHOSPHODIESTERASES IN OLFACTIONJames Cherry; Fiscal Year: 1999..Regulation of this enzyme will then be examined during degeneration and subsequent regeneration of the olfactory mucosa following unilateral removal of the olfactory bulb, which is the target of the sensory neuron axons...
- PHYSIOLOGICAL ANALYSIS OF THE OLFACTORY PROJECTIONSJohn Scott; Fiscal Year: 2006..These results will be of importance for understanding the sense of smell. ..
- OLFACTORY FUNCTION IN GENE-TARGETED MICEBurton Slotnick; Fiscal Year: 2002..A final report of these studies will incorporate a detailed description of apparatus, methods protocol and files of raw data and summary statistics presented in database and spreadsheet format. ..
- Unconventional receptor neurons in nasal epitheliaANNELOTTE HANSEN; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- OLFACTORY CODINGBurton Slotnick; Fiscal Year: 2003..Behavior tasks will use precision olfactometry. Anterograde transport of horseradish peroxidase will be used to assess connections between the olfactory epithelium and olfactory bulb in experimental rats. ..
- FEEDBACK REGULATION OF NEUROGENESIS IN MAMMALSANNE CALOF; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will provide insights into the molecular mechanisms by which neuron number -- and therefore, ultimately, function -- are regulated during development and regeneration of the mammalian nervous system. ..
- BEHAVIORAL ANALYSIS OF OMPS ROLE IN ODOR PROCESSINGSTEVEN YOUNGENTOB; Fiscal Year: 2003..e., at the transduction level) and may provide insight into a therapeutic strategy that has implications for a variety of neurological disorders. ..
- VITAMIN A STATUS/EFFECTS ON OLFACTORY NEURON MATURATIONMary Ann Asson Batres; Fiscal Year: 2004..The PI is committed to a career in biomedical research with a focus on chemosensory systems. With this award, the PI can increase her independent research capability and become competitive for NIV R01-level funding. ..
- In utero ethanol experience and olfactory plasticitySteven L Youngentob; Fiscal Year: 2010..It will also establish a chemosensory related conceptual framework of fetal exposure with broad based importance in child development and drug abuse. ..
- DEVELOPING A RAPID SCREEN TO DETECT OLFACTORY MUTANTSSTEVEN YOUNGENTOB; Fiscal Year: 2001..For each phase, we will provide detailed information via a Web-based database linked to centralized resources. ..
- Cytokines on Olfactory Receptor Neuron FunctionAndrew Lane; Fiscal Year: 2006..Additional bench research will be performed in the laboratory of Dr. Schleimer, an established scientist with expertise in airway inflammation and cytokine modulation of cell function. ..
- ODORANT-RECEPTOR INTERACTIONS IN OLFACTORY NEURONSThomas Getchell; Fiscal Year: 2005..Understanding the signaling regulating neurogenesis in the OE will yield insights into mechanisms for restoring olfactory function compromised by aging, trauma, and neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- POSTMENOPAUSAL ESTROGEN INFLUENCES ON OLFACTIONRICHARD DOTY; Fiscal Year: 2005..Third, it would lead to testable hypotheses regarding the role of reproductive hormones, and their underlying mechanisms, in the maintenance of normal olfactory function. ..
- Putative pheromones in the main olfactory systemWeihong Lin; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Interaction of ApoE with Estrogen in the Olfactory SystemBritto Nathan; Fiscal Year: 2008..A better understanding of the apoE-estrogen interaction is vital to the therapeutic usefulness of estrogens in postmenopausal women. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mechanisms of prion transportRICHARD BESSEN; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies can determine the role of the olfactory nerve in centrifugal prion spread to the nasal mucosa where agent shedding is a potential route of prion transmission. ..
- Genomic of Olfactory RegenerationTimothy S McClintock; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed experiments will definitively test whether several proteins are dispensable for olfactory development and regeneration, and will define the potential roles of a couple dozen additional proteins. ..
- FUNCTIONAL DOMAINS AND EXPRESSION OF OLFACTORY RECEPTORSTimothy S McClintock; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project is an integrated approach to understanding the genes whose activity is important for generating the phenotype of mature olfactory sensory neurons and then maintaining these cells in the face of significant challenges. ..
- Gene Expression Profiling of Adult Olfactory Stem and Progenitor CellsJAMES SCHWOB; Fiscal Year: 2008..The information gathered here may allow us eventually to use these adult stem cells in treating nervous system damage and degenerative disease. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DEVELOPMENT OF THE PRIMARY OLFACTORY PROJECTIONJAMES SCHWOB; Fiscal Year: 2005..Attempts to foster recovery in the clinical population require an understanding in depth of the inherent limits and capacities for regeneration. ..
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF OLFACTORY INTEGRATIONTIMOTHY MCCLINTOCK; Fiscal Year: 2003..The Principal Investigator will transfect mutant forms of these proteins into primary cultured olfactory neurons to assess whether they have predicted effects on olfactory transduction. ..
- Synaptic connectivity in mouse accessory olfactory bulbRicardo Araneda; Fiscal Year: 2005..It is anticipated that these studies will have an impact on our understanding of the sensory coding of pheromonal information and other olfactory information by the accessory olfactory system. ..
- OLFACTION IN EPILEPSYRICHARD DOTY; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition to providing a better understanding of the influences of TLE and TLR on human olfactory function, this work may lead to the development of a simple and inexpensive non-invasive means for better establishing TLE seizure loci. ..
- OLFACTION IN MULTIPLE SCLEROSISRICHARD DOTY; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- MRNA AND PROTEIN DYNAMICS IN IDENTIFIED NEURONSTIMOTHY MCCLINTOCK; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Strategies for Restoring Olfactory NeurogenesisJAMES SCHWOB; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Neurobiology of Dysbindin in Schizophrenia and sdy MouseSTEVEN ARNOLD; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Lifelong Development of the Vomeronasal EpitheliumJESSICA BRANN; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- OLFACTORY NEURODEVELOPMENTAL PATHOLOGY IN SCHIZOPHRENIASTEVEN ARNOLD; Fiscal Year: 2002..The relative densities of immunohistochemically distinct populations of neurons will be determined and the spatial arrangement of neurons will be assessed using spatial point pattern analyses. ..
- Novel transgenic mouse models for human p450 researchXinxin Ding; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Development & Maturation of Kidney Xenobiotic TransportSanjay Nigam; Fiscal Year: 2005..Together, these studies should provide key insights not only into the development and maturation of renal drug handling capacity but also into mechanisms of proximal tubulogenesis. ..
- OLFACTORY TOXICITY OF ENVIRONMENTAL AGENTSXinxin Ding; Fiscal Year: 2010..in the current funding period and those proposed for the new funding cycle involve two nasal structures, the olfactory mucosa (OM) and the lateral nasal gland (LNG)...
- Factor Mediating Ureteric Migration and MorphogenesisSanjay K Nigam; Fiscal Year: 2010..The experiments are based on considerable preliminary data and follow directly from work completed during the previous funding period. We have proven expertise in the techniques necessary to complete the project. ..
- GORDON RESEARCH CONFERENCE ON PROTEOGLYCANSARTHUR LANDER; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Mice with olfactory mucosa-specific Cre gene expressionXinxin Ding; Fiscal Year: 2003..is to generate mice with tissue- specific expression of the Cre gene in the non-neuronal cells of the olfactory mucosa. These mice will be valuable for subsequent studies to specifically disrupt a given gene in the Cre-..
- NHERF IN BETA-2-ADRENERGIC RECEPTOR SIGNALINGRandy Hall; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies will provide insight into hovel signaling pathways activated by the beta2AR, a receptor that is a common target for therapeutics used in the treatment of hypertension, heart disease and other disorders. ..
- Injury-Evoked Regeneration Mechanism in Olfactory SystemColleen Hegg; Fiscal Year: 2008..Agents that modify the effects of purinergics and purinergic receptors are readily available and could therapeutically modulate cell proliferation and differentiation, in the olfactory system and in the CNS. ..
- Gap Junctions and Connexins in Developing CNSJOHN RASH; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Nasal dosimetry of diacetyl and butyric acid vaporsJohn Morris; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Signal transduction in the vomeronasal organJESSICA BRANN; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition, I will examine the role of the protein-protein interaction between the two types of ion channels in the propagation of the odor response. ..
- MEMBRANE MECHANISMS OF OLFACTORY TRANSDUCTIONFrank Zufall; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Neuroinformatic Analysis of Olfactory CodingMichael Leon; Fiscal Year: 2006..The combination of these approaches should help resolve the differences between the conflicting models of olfactory coding. ..
- PROPERTIES OF OLFACTORY RECEPTORS - NEURAL REGENERATIONRICHARD COSTANZO; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Neural substrates of taste, smell and flavor in humansDANA SMALL; Fiscal Year: 2006..g., Alzheimer's disease) or patients who may respond abnormally to food stimuli (e.g., bulimia). This research will also provide important information into the nature of polymodal sensory integration. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Interactions Between Nicotine Addiction and Food RewardDANA SMALL; Fiscal Year: 2006..If brain response does predict weight gain then we will have developed a method to identify individuals at risk for relapse so that they can be targeted for further therapeutic intervention. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cell migration and differentiation in the olfactory bulbAdam Puche; Fiscal Year: 2004..Understand the mechanisms of SVZ progenitor migration through the olfactory bulb and cues governing phenotype selection have important implications for the use of these cells as clinical therapy. ..
- Neuregulin 1-erbB signaling in schizophreniaChang Gyu Hahn; Fiscal Year: 2009..Aim 2 will specifically address protein protein interactions among erbB4 and other PSD proteins. Aim 3, will further characterize the impact of erbB4 dysregulation on NMDAR signaling and explore possible mechanisms. ..
- Individual Differences in OlfactionCHARLES WYSOCKI; Fiscal Year: 2008..To do this, we will assess individual behavioral responses to odors and characterize the genes for olfactory receptors that are found within the person's genome. ..
- MOLECULAR GERONTOLOGY OF THE HUMAN OLFACTORY SYSTEMMARILYN GETCHELL; Fiscal Year: 2002The human olfactory mucosa, olfactory bulb, and anterior olfactory nucleus exhibit cellular, molecular, and functional changes as a correlate of aging and of Alzheimer's disease...