Genomes and Genes
Summary: The partition separating the two nasal cavities in the midplane, composed of cartilaginous, membranous and bony parts.
Publications278 found, 100 shown here
- Reconstructive septal surgeryMiriam Boenisch
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Diakonissen Hospital, Linz, Austria
Facial Plast Surg 22:249-54. 2006..The PDS as well as the suture material is completely resorbed within 5 months, excluding long-term complications of other artificial implants...
- Nasal septum deformities in children and adolescents: a cross sectional study of children from Zagreb, CroatiaMarin Subaric
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Cervicofacial Surgery, Dubrava University Hospital, Av Gojka Suska 6, 10 000, Zagreb, Croatia
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 63:41-8. 2002Numerous epidemiologic studies on the prevalence of nasal septum deformities in children have been performed over the last three decades...
- Deformation of nasal septum during nasal traumaShu Jin Lee
Division of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, National University Hospital, Singapore
Laryngoscope 120:1931-9. 2010Injury to the nasal septum is commonly found in most nasal fractures. The nasal septum deforms and crumples, leading to nasal deviation and internal nasal obstruction.
- Autologous cartilage graft rhinoplastiesA Araco
Crown House Hospital, Oldburi, Birmingham, UK
Aesthetic Plast Surg 30:169-74. 2006..The authors report their experience with autologous graft rhinoplasties...
- Congenital and acquired lesions of the nasal septum: a practical guide for differential diagnosisMaria P Valencia
Department of Radiology, Hospital Universitario San Vicente de Paul, Universidad de Antioquia, Medellin, Colombia
Radiographics 28:205-24; quiz 326. 2008Many different types of lesions may involve the nasal septum, and some can destroy it...
- Component dorsal hump reduction: the importance of maintaining dorsal aesthetic lines in rhinoplastyRod J Rohrich
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 114:1298-308; discussion 1309-12. 2004..Finally, if needed, spreader grafts are enormously adaptable and can be customized for any deformity (unilateral or bilateral, visible or invisible) to handle functional or aesthetic problems...
- The versatile autogenous costal cartilage graft in septorhinoplastyOzcan Cakmak
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Baskent University Hospital, Bahcelievler, 06490 Ankara, Turkey
Arch Facial Plast Surg 4:172-6. 2002..We conclude that the autogenous costal cartilage graft is an outstanding material for volume filling and structural support when large amounts of tissue are needed in septorhinoplasty...
- Comparison of techniques used to support the nasal tip and their long-term effects on tip positionEric J Dobratz
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Eastern Virginia Medical School, River Pavilion, Ste 1100, 600 Gresham Dr, Norfolk, VA 23507, USA
Arch Facial Plast Surg 12:172-9. 2010....
- Evaluation of the inferior turbinate in patients with deviated nasal septum by using computed tomographyErol Egeli
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Abant Izzet Baysal, Duzce Faculty of Medicine, Turkey
Laryngoscope 114:113-7. 2004The objective was to measure the dimensions, composition, and possible structural and radiological changes of the compensatory hypertrophic inferior turbinate in patients with deviated nasal septum.
- A personal report: emphasizing the endonasal approachRobert L Simons
Simmons Center for Nasak and Facial Plastic Surgery, North Miami Beach, FL 33169, USA
Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am 12:15-34. 2004..Following a 40-year involvement with rhinoplasty, the author awaits his next case with as much enthusiasm as the first. Few operations in the repertoire of the facial plastic surgeon can be thus characterized...
- Septal cartilage defined: implications for nasal dynamics and rhinoplastyArian Mowlavi
Cosmetic Surgery Clinics, Inc
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:2171-4. 2006..Despite such routine alteration and/or use, the characteristics of septal cartilage have not been adequately defined...
- Osteoblastoma of the nasal septumE Young
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Royal Blackburn Hospital, UK
J Laryngol Otol 125:1062-6. 2011To present a case of, and to review the literature concerning, osteoblastoma of the nasal cavity, and to demonstrate the importance of considering this rare entity when assessing patients presenting with a nasal septum lesion.
- Basaloid squamous cell carcinoma of the nasal septum presenting as a primary cutaneous lesionNathan Hoy
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
J Cutan Med Surg 16:375-7. 2012..There are only two case reports in the literature documenting a nasal cavity squamous cell carcinoma presenting as a primary cutaneous lesion...
- Nasal septum perforation repair using differently designed, bilateral intranasal flaps, with nonopposing suture linesR F André
Department of Otolaryngology Facial Plastic Surgery, Rijnland Hospital, Simon Smitweg 1, 2353 GA Leiderdorp, The Netherlands
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 59:829-34. 2006....
- An anatomical study of the three-dimensional structure of the nasal septum in patients with alveolar clefts and alveolar-palatal cleftsTomohisa Nagasao
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
Plast Reconstr Surg 121:2074-83. 2008..The present study was performed to quantitatively analyze the three-dimensional morphology of the nasal septa of patients with alveolar and alveolopalatal clefts...
- Septoplasty in conjunction with cosmetic rhinoplastyCarey J Nease
Southern Surgical Arts, 200 Manufacturer s Road, Chattanooga, TN 37405, USA
Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am 24:49-58. 2012This article discusses the intimate relationship that the form of the nasal septum and the esthetics of the nose have with one another and that alterations of either can significantly affect the other...
- Fusarium verticillioides abscess of the nasal septum in an immunosuppressed child: case report and identification of the morphologically atypical fungal strainHans Jürgen Dornbusch
Division of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Medical University, Graz, The Netherlands
J Clin Microbiol 43:1998-2001. 2005..Definitive identification was achieved by sequencing the translation elongation factor alpha gene after ribosomal sequencing proved inadequate...
- Septal surgery in rhinoplastyWerner Heppt
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Facial Plastic Surgery, Academic Teaching Hospital, Staedtisches Klinikum Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe, Germany
Facial Plast Surg 27:167-78. 2011..After initial general remarks on the basic procedures, this article focuses on current concepts of septum correction that have to be adapted to the individual pathologic condition...
- Considerations in the etiology, treatment, and repair of septal perforationsRussell W H Kridel
Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am 12:435-50, vi. 2004..This article describes presenting symptoms and findings for septal perforations, the history and physical examination, causes, helpful hints for prevention of perforations, and surgical and nonsurgical treatment options and outcomes...
- RME: influences on the nasal septumG Farronato
Department of Orthodontics, Fondazione IRCCS Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Minerva Stomatol 61:125-34. 2012The aim of this work consists in analyzing the consequences of RME on the nasal septum.
- Extracorporeal septoplasty for the markedly deviated septumWolfgang Gubisch
Clinic for Plastic Surgery, Marienhospital, Stuttgart, Germany
Arch Facial Plast Surg 7:218-26. 2005To describe a technique of extracorporeal septal reconstruction to correct the markedly deviated nasal septum.
- The use of autogenous costal cartilage graft in septorhinoplastyAli Moshaver
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, St Joseph s Health Centre, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 137:862-7. 2007..The aim of this paper was to report our experience with the use of costal cartilage grafts in cases with significant structural deformities and insufficient septal cartilage...
- A surgical algorithm using open rhinoplasty for correction of traumatic twisted noseYu Che Hsiao
Department of Otolaryngology, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Neihu District, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Aesthetic Plast Surg 31:250-8. 2007..The algorithm, which is adaptable to a variety of anatomic deformities, guides surgical decision making that yields consistently satisfactory functional and aesthetic results...
- Inhibition of furin-like enzymes blocks interleukin-1alpha/oncostatin M-stimulated cartilage degradationJ M Milner
The Medical School, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Arthritis Rheum 48:1057-66. 2003..To investigate the role of furin-like enzymes in the proteolytic cascades leading to cartilage breakdown and to examine which collagenase(s) contribute to collagen degradation...
- Numerical study of the aerodynamic effects of septoplasty and partial lateral turbinectomySamet Ozlugedik
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Numune Education and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Laryngoscope 118:330-4. 2008..To investigate, first, the effects of septal deviation and concha bullosa on nasal airflow, and second, the aerodynamic changes induced by septoplasty and partial lateral turbinectomy, using computational fluid dynamics (CFD)...
- Craniofacial growth in children with nasal septum deviation: a cephalometric comparative studyLuca D'Ascanio
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Citta di Castello Civil Hospital, Citta di Castello, Perugia, Italy
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 74:1180-3. 2010..However little is known about the possible influence of nasal septum deviation on craniofacial growth in childhood...
- Biphasic low-grade nasopharyngeal papillary adenocarcinoma with a prominent spindle cell component: report of a case localized to the posterior nasal septumFredrik Petersson
Department of Pathology, National University Health System, 5 Lower Kent Ridge Road, Singapore 119074, Singapore
Head Neck Pathol 5:306-13. 2011..The tumor was located on the posterior nasal septum. The spindle cells displayed nuclear features very much similar to the epithelial component and the two cell ..
- The role of septal surgery in management of the deviated noseHossam M T Foda
Department of Otolaryngology, Alexandria Medical School, Alexandria, Egypt
Plast Reconstr Surg 115:406-15. 2005..A graduated surgical approach was adopted to allow correction of the dorsal and caudal deviations of the nasal septum without weakening its structural support to the dorsum or nasal tip...
- The nasal septum deformities in children and adolescents from Warsaw, PolandBeata Zielnik-Jurkiewicz
Department of Otolaryngology, Children s Hospital Niekłańska Str 4 24, 03 924 Warsaw, Poland
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 70:731-6. 2006The final shape of the nasal septum deformities is a result of irregular development of the nasomaxillary complex or of a nasal injury. Nasal septum deformities reveal in childhood...
- [Analysis of the character of self-adaptation of nasal structure in patients with nasal septum deviation]Xiu zhen Sun
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Second Affiliated Hospital of Dalian Medical University, Dalian 116027, China
Zhonghua Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi 43:351-4. 2008To analyze the different characters of nasal airflow-field between 10 patients with nasal septum deviation and 20 healthy Chinese people by the method of three-dimensional reconstruction of these people's nasal cavity and numerical ..
- Atypical eosinophilic angiocentric fibrosis on nasal septumNoriko Watanabe
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Tondabayashi Hospital, 1 3 36, Koyodai, Tondabayashi, Osaka 584 0082, Japan
Auris Nasus Larynx 33:355-8. 2006..angiocentric fibrosis (EAF) is a rare benign condition of unknown aetiology and is most commonly found in the nasal septum and sinus mucosa. We report a case of EAF and present a review of the available literature...
- [Closure of nasal septum perforations by bridge flaps]Andreas Neumann
Klinik fur Hals, Nasen, Ohrenheilkunde, Kopf und Halschirurgie, Plastische und Ästhetische Operationen, Stimm und Sprachstörungen, Städtische Kliniken Neuss Lukaskrankenhaus GmbH
Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp 62:31-9. 2011Treating nasal septum perforation is challenging from every point of view for patients who suffer from this condition...
- [Perforation of the nasal septum in cocaine abusers]G Blaise
Universite de Liege, Belgique
Rev Med Liege 60:845-8. 2005..In the present case, in which cocaine was nasally inhaled, the perforation of the cartilaginous nasal septum propably result from a combination of factors, including the topical effects and the complications linked to ..
- Histoplasmosis in the nasal septum without pulmonary involvement in a patient with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome: case report and literature reviewFernando Oikawa
Hospital Municipal de Campo Limpo Dr Fernando Mauro Pires da Rocha, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Sao Paulo Med J 128:236-8. 2010..The spores can be found in soil contaminated with bird, bat or chicken feces. Histoplasmosis occurs worldwide and is one of the most common pulmonary and systemic mycoses...
- Teratoma of the nasal septum in a neonate: an endoscopic approachMarkus E Huth
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Inselspital, University of Berne, Switzerland
J Pediatr Surg 43:2102-5. 2008..According to our literature review, this is the first case of a teratoma arising from the nasal septum in a white. Worldwide, 3 additional cases have been reported, but none included endoscopic management...
- A novel method for internal nasal valve reconstruction: H-graft techniqueEren Tastan
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Ministry of Health Ankara Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Laryngoscope 121:480-6. 2011....
- Extranasopharyngeal angiofibroma of the nasal septum: a case reportSatyawati Mohindra
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Ear Nose Throat J 88:E17-9. 2009Angiofibroma arising outside the nasopharynx is unusual. The nasal septum is an extremely rare site for the origin of angiofibroma, and to date only 6 such cases previously have been reported in the literature...
- [The effect of nasal packing with or without an airway on arterial blood gases during sleep]Ozgur Yigit
2nd Department of Otolaryngology, Sisli Etfal Training Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Kulak Burun Bogaz Ihtis Derg 9:347-50. 2002..We investigated the effect of postoperatively applied nasal packing with or without an airway on partial arterial oxygen (PaO(2)) and carbon dioxide (PaCO(2)) pressures during sleep...
- Nasal septum perforation as the presenting sign of lupus erythematosusR Mascarenhas
Department of Dermatology, Coimbra University Hospital, Coimbra, Portugal
Dermatol Online J 11:12. 2005b>Nasal septum perforation is an uncommon and not well known feature of lupus erythematosus (LE). In general, it occurs during exacerbations and in a context of systemic vasculitis...
- Is septoplasty alone adequate for the treatment of chronic rhinosinusitis with septal deviation?Unal Bayiz
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Ministry of Health, Ankara Hospital, Turkey
Am J Rhinol 19:612-6. 2005..The purpose of this study was to reveal the role of septoplasty in curing chronic rhinosinusitis (CRS) in patients with significant septal deviation...
- [Nasal septum perforation and bevacizumab]L Bengrine-Lefevre
Service d Oncologie Medicale, Hopital Saint Antoine, 184, rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine, 75571 Paris Cedex 12, France
Rev Med Interne 32:e43-5. 2011A 52-year-old woman, with a metastatic breast cancer, presented with a nasal septum perforation while receiving a treatment combining paclitaxel and bevacizumab...
- The importance of the nasal septum in the deviated noseJonathan M Sykes
Davis Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of California, Sacramento, California, USA
Facial Plast Surg 27:413-21. 2011The nasal septum plays an important role in both the appearance and function of the nose. Deviation of the nose is common and correction requires a focused, anatomically based treatment...
- Treatment of saddle type nasal fracture using Kirschner wire fixation of nasal septumTetsuji Yabe
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Ishikiri Seiki Hospital, Osaka, Japan
Ann Plast Surg 53:89-92. 2004For nasal fracture presenting saddle nose deformity, the nasal septum was fixed with the frontal process of the maxillary bone by Kirschner wire. Good results were confirmed with computed tomography, and there was no secondary deformity...
- A nasal septum perforation caused by a Varicella zoster infection in an AIDS patientR Colebunders
Institute of Tropical Medicine, University Hospital, University of Antwerp, Wilrijk, Belgium
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 51:49-50. 1997A nasal septum perforation caused by a Varicella Zoster Infection in an AIDS patient. A patient with an acquired immune deficiency syndrome is described who developed a nasal septum perforation...
- Nasal septum perforation: rare manifestation of Crohn's diseaseRodriguez Castro Kryssia
Gastroenterology Department, Mexico Hospital, Costa Rica
Indian J Gastroenterol 25:214. 2006..Endoscopy and biopsy showed inflammation of the nasal mucosa. Endoscopic and histologic diagnosis of Crohn s disease was made later; the granulomatous nasal lesions responded to sulfasalazine and azathioprine...
- Clinical utility of the inferior turbinate flaps in the reconstruction of the nasal septum and skull baseDong Hoon Lee
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Chonnam National University Medical School and Hwasun Hospital, Hwasun, South Korea
J Craniofac Surg 23:e322-6. 2012..Because of the technical difficulties of endoscopic preparation of the ITF, clinical studies on endoscopic management with the ITFs have been sporadic...
- Primary meningioma of the nasal septum: a case report and review of literatureAli Hassan Alzarae
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Asser Central Hospital, Abha, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 18:296-8. 2010..Here, we report a case of primary meningioma of the nasal septum. A 60-year-old man presented with nasal obstruction and postnasal drip...
- Extranasopharyngeal angiofibroma originating from the nasal septumMehmet A Somdas
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 133:647. 2005
- The spreader flap in primary rhinoplastyRonald P Gruber
Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 119:1903-10. 2007..Many of these patients need spreader grafts to reconstruct the middle third of the nose. However, it is possible to reconstruct the upper lateral cartilages into "spreader flaps" that act much like spreader grafts...
- Extranasopharyngeal angiofibroma arising from the nasal septumK K Handa
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, 110029 India
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 58:163-6. 2001Extra nasopharyngeal origin of angiofibroma is very rare. The nasal septum is a very rare site of extra nasopharyngeal angiofibroma with only two cases reported in the medical literature...
- Nasal septum perforation and bevacizumabDerek G Power
Department of Medicine, Gastrointestinal Oncology Division, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Med Oncol 28:89-93. 2011..Herein, we report three cases of spontaneous nasal septum perforation secondary to bevacizumab...
- Septal suturing following nasal septoplasty, a valid alternative for nasal packing?W Lemmens
Department of Oto Rhino Laryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, ZOL Campus St Jan, Schiepse Bos 6, B 3600 Genk
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 55:215-21. 2001..Readmission of a patient was never necessary. Based on these observations the septal suturing technique is a valid alternative to intranasal packing following septal surgery...
- A case of relapsing polychondritis with bilateral sensorineural hearing loss and perforation of the nasal septum at the onsetTokutaro Tsuda
Institute of Rheumatology, Aoyama Hospital, Tokyo Women s Medical University, 2 7 13 Kita Aoyama, Minato ku, Tokyo 107 0061, Japan
Mod Rheumatol 17:148-52. 2007A 33-year-old woman suffered from epistaxis and perforation of the nasal septum. Based on a biopsy of nasal mucosa, Wegener's granulomatosis was suspected initially...
- Deviated nasal septum hinders intranasal sprays: a computer simulation studyD O Frank
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Rhinology 50:311-8. 2012This study investigates how deviated nasal septum affects the quantity and distribution of spray particles, and examines the effects of inspiratory airflow and head position on particle transport.
- A patient presenting nasal septum perforation during bevacizumab-containing chemotherapy for advanced breast cancerFausto Petrelli
Oncology Unit, Azienda Ospedaliera Treviglio Caravaggio, Piazzale Ospedale 1, 24047, Treviglio BG, Italy
Breast Cancer 18:226-30. 2011b>Nasal septum perforation is a rare but described complication of the anti-angiogenetic agent bevacizumab...
- Nasal cavity and paranasal sinus bony variations: a computed tomographic studyG Kayalioglu
Department of Anatomy, Ege University, Faculty of Medicine, Bornova, Izmir, Turkey
Rhinology 38:108-13. 2000..Concha bullosa was observed in 26 sinus patients (28.88%) and 22 (26.83%) in non-sinus patients, deviated nasal septum in 20 (22.22%) sinus and 10 (12%) non-sinus, Haller's cell in 5 (5.55%) sinus and in 3 (3...
- Quantitative assessment of chondrocyte viability after laser mediated reshaping: a novel application of flow cytometryAlexandre Rasouli
Beckman Laser Institute and Medical Clinic, University of California Irvine, 1002 Health Sciences Road East, Irvine, California 92612, USA
Lasers Surg Med 32:3-9. 2003..Lasers can be used to reshape cartilage by accelerating mechanical stress relaxation. In this study, fluorescent differential cell viability staining and flow cytometry were used to determine chondrocyte viability following laser heating...
- Feedback-controlled laser-mediated cartilage reshapingB J Wong
Beckman Laser Institute and Medical Clinic, University of California, Irvine, USA
Arch Facial Plast Surg 1:282-7. 1999..To demonstrate feedback-controlled laser-mediated cartilage reshaping using dynamic measurements of tissue optical properties and radiometric surface temperatures...
- Klebsiella rhinoscleromatis of the membranous nasal septumT V Chan
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Laryngol Otol 121:998-1002. 2007..Currently, the recommended treatment consists of a combination of surgical debridement and long-term antibiotic therapy. We present a case report of a culture-positive diagnosis of rhinoscleroma, and we review the existing literature...
- Improvement in quality of life after nasal surgery alone for patients with obstructive sleep apnea and nasal obstructionHsueh Yu Li
Department of Otolaryngology, Sleep Center, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 134:429-33. 2008..To evaluate the impact of nasal surgery alone on quality of life (QOL) in patients with obstructive sleep apnea and nasal obstruction using generic and disease-specific QOL questionnaires...
- The effect on arterial blood gases and heart rate of bilateral nasal packingOguz Ogretmenoglu
Hacettepe University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Bahcelievler Ankara, Turkey
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 259:63-6. 2002..No serious arrhythmias were observed. Although these changes may be within normal levels for healthy subjects, they may have serious consequences for patients with cardiopulmonary diseases...
- Long-term in vivo stability of rabbit nasal septal cartilage following laser cartilage reshaping: a pilot investigationAmir M Karamzadeh
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of California, Irvine Medical Center 101, The City Drive South, Bldg 25, Rt 81, Orange, California 92868 3201, USA
Lasers Surg Med 36:147-54. 2005..To evaluate the long-term effect of laser cartilage reshaping on rabbit nasal septal cartilage viability and mechanical integrity in an in vivo model...
- The incidence of concha bullosa and its relationship to nasal septal deviation and paranasal sinus diseaseJamie S Stallman
Department of Radiology the Mount Sinai School of Medicine of New York University, New York, NY 10029, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 25:1613-8. 2004..However, to our knowledge, no study has evaluated concha bullosa in relation to nasal septal deviation. We sought to analyze the incidence of concha bullosa and any correlation with nasal septal deviation and paranasal sinus disease...
- A review of the implications of computational fluid dynamic studies on nasal airflow and physiologyS C Leong
Common Cold Centre and Healthcare Clinical Trials, Cardiff School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, UK
Rhinology 48:139-45. 2010..Computational fluid dynamics has been adapted to studying nasal aerodynamics...
- Extranasopharyngeal angiofibroma of nasal septum. A controversial entityI Tasca
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Imola Hospital, Castel San Pietro Terme, Imola BO, Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 28:312-4. 2008..The maxillary sinus is the most common site involved, while the nasal septum represents an extremely rare localization...
- Objective measures in aesthetic and functional nasal surgery: perspectives on nasal form and functionSachin S Pawar
Department of Otolaryngology and Communication Sciences, Medical College of Wisconsin, 9200 West Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Facial Plast Surg 26:320-7. 2010..In this article, we present an overview of objective measures in both aesthetic and functional nasal surgery and discuss future trends and applications that have the potential to change the way we assess nasal form and function...
- Do chronic changes in nasal airflow have any physiological or pathological effect on the nose and paranasal sinuses? A systematic reviewJ Boyce
Common Cold Centre, Cardiff School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
Clin Otolaryngol 31:15-9. 2006..Such studies provide evidence that reduced nasal airflow causes no significant nasal disease. . There is no convincing evidence that a reduction in nasal airflow is a causative factor for rhinitis or sinusitis...
- Spontaneous nasal septal perforation with antiangiogenic bevacizumab therapyCollin M Burkart
Division of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267 0528, USA
Laryngoscope 118:1539-41. 2008..The patient was ultimately treated with a nasal septal button with good symptom relief. This case documents the first report in the otolaryngology literature describing this new etiology for nasal septal perforations...
- Laser septochondrocorrectionYuri Ovchinnikov
Department of Otolarygology, Sechenov Medical Academy of Moscow, Moscow, Russia
Arch Facial Plast Surg 4:180-5. 2002..To present results from a clinical series of patients who underwent office-based laser nasal septal cartilage reshaping...
- Morphometric analyses of the development of nasal cavity in human fetuses: an anatomical and radiological studyNeslihan Altuntas Yilmaz
Department of Anatomy, Meram Medical Faculty, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 74:796-802. 2010..It was aimed to research the morphometric development of the nasal cavity with dissection and radiological scanning methods and to detect anatomical variations...
- Polysomnographic effects of nasal surgery for snoring and obstructive sleep apneaSun Tae Kim
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Gil Medical Center, Gachon Medical School, Incheon, South Korea
Acta Otolaryngol 124:297-300. 2004..We used portable polysomnography (PSG) to assess the efficacy of nasal surgery for snoring and obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)...
- Nasal valve surgery improves disease-specific quality of lifeJohn S Rhee
Department of Otolaryngology and Communication Sciences, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Laryngoscope 115:437-40. 2005..The objectives of the study were to determine whether surgical treatment of the nasal valve improves disease-specific QOL and to identify clinical or demographic variables predictive of patients' baseline QOL or change in QOL...
- Septal crossbar graft for the correction of the crooked noseArmando Boccieri
Department of Maxillo Facial Surgery, S Camillo Hospital, Rome, Italy
Plast Reconstr Surg 111:629-38. 2003..Moreover, the technique allows for the harmonization of the aesthetic line from the eyebrow to the tip-defining point on the concave side with the same line on the other side...
- Caudal septoplasty for treatment of septal deviation: aesthetic and functional correction of the nasal baseJack D Sedwick
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Florida, Gainesville, USA
Arch Facial Plast Surg 7:158-62. 2005..To describe our technique in the treatment of significant caudal septal deviation; to evaluate the effectiveness of our technique of caudal septoplasty in the treatment of caudal septal deviations...
- A systematic analysis of septal deviation associated with rhinosinusitisRichard R Orlandi
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Laryngoscope 120:1687-95. 2010..A systematic analysis was therefore performed to answer the question, is septal deviation associated with rhinosinusitis?..
- Nasal septum-derived multipotent progenitors: a potent source for stem cell-based regenerative medicineAbbas Shafiee
Stem Cell Biology Department, Stem Cell Technology Research Center, Tehran, Iran
Stem Cells Dev 20:2077-91. 2011..In conclusion, NSP could be considered as an alternative autologous cell source that can bring them to the top of therapeutic applications...
- Surgical techniques for the treatment of nasal valve collapse: a systematic reviewPatrick M Spielmann
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Raigmore Hospital, Inverness, Scotland
Laryngoscope 119:1281-90. 2009..To critically evaluate the surgical treatment strategies for nasal valve collapse...
- Nasal surgery for snoring in patients with obstructive sleep apneaHsueh Yu Li
Department of Otolaryngology, Sleep Center, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University, Taipei, Taiwan
Laryngoscope 118:354-9. 2008..To evaluate the efficacy of nasal surgery to relieve snoring and to identify predictive factors...
- Scanning electron microscopy of ciliae and saccharine test for ciliary function in septal deviationsTawakir Kamani
Eastbourne District General Hospital, Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Laryngoscope 116:586-90. 2006To investigate the difference in mucociliary clearance and surface mucosal structure of the nasal septum and lateral nasal wall in patients with and without septal deviation.
- Engineering of a straighter septum: numerical model of mechanical stress relaxation in laser-heated septal cartilageDmitriy E Protsenko
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2007:5399-402. 2007..application of laser cartilage reshaping (LCR) for the in-situ treatment of structural deformities in the nasal septum has generated increasing clinical interest, because septoplasty is among the top five most common operations ..
- Rate process analysis of thermal damage in cartilageSergio H Díaz
Beckman Laser Institute and Medical Clinic, University of California, Irvine, CA 92612, USA
Phys Med Biol 48:19-29. 2003..As a result, a damage kinetic model was obtained that can be used to predict the onset, extent and severity of cellular injury to thermal exposure...
- Nasal septum perforation in a bevacizumab-treated patient with metastatic breast cancerTiffany A Traina
Breast Cancer Medicine Service, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Oncologist 11:1070-1. 2006
- Possible use of nasal septum and frontal sinus patterns to radiographic identification of unknown human remainsMari Taniguchi
Department of Legal Medicine, Osaka City University Medical School, Japan
Osaka City Med J 49:31-8. 2003The aim of the present study was to examine the combined use of the nasal septum and frontal sinus pattern for systemic radiographic identification of unknown human remains and the limitations...
- Effects of septoplasty and septal deviation on nasal mucociliary clearanceH Uslu
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Ataturk University Medical School, Erzurum, Turkey
Int J Clin Pract 58:1108-11. 2004..Septal deviation affects the mucociliary activity. It is improved by surgery. This study showed that nasal septal deviation reduced the nasal mucociliary activity, and this can easily evaluated with scintigraphy...
- Endochondral ossification of the mouse nasal septumRosamund J Wealthall
Department of Biology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 288:1163-72. 2006Endochondral ossification at the caudal junctions of the cartilaginous nasal septum, in combination with interstitial expansion of the septum, is thought to displace the facial skeleton away from the neurocranium...
- Multiple IgG4-related sclerosing lesions in the maxillary sinus, parotid gland and nasal septumMitsuaki Ishida
Department of Clinical Laboratory Medicine, Shiga University of Medical Science, Shiga 520 2192, Japan
Pathol Int 59:670-5. 2009..Herein is reported a case of multiple IgG4-related sclerosing lesions in the maxillary sinus, parotid gland and nasal septum. A 73-year-old Japanese man presented with nasal obstruction and tumors of the right maxillary sinus and ..
- Evaluation of the effects of nasal septal deviation and its surgery on nasal mucociliary clearance in both nasal cavitiesBulent Ulusoy
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Ozel Konya Hospital, Konya, Turkey
Am J Rhinol 21:180-3. 2007..In this study the effects of nasal septal deviation (NSD) and its surgery on nasal mucociliary clearance velocity (NMCV) in both nasal cavities were evaluated...
- Rheumatoid nodule of the nasal septumA Belloso
Department of Otolaryngology, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool, UK
J Laryngol Otol 115:853-5. 2001..In the upper aerodigestive tract, nodules have been described in diverse locations, but commonly in the trachea, larynx and the ear. We present the first reported case of a rheumatoid nodule affecting the nasal septum.
- Analysis of Nd:YAG laser-mediated thermal damage in rabbit nasal septal cartilageChao Li
Beckman Laser Institute and Medical Clinic, University of California Irvine, 1002 Health Sciences Road East, Irvine, California 92612, USA
Lasers Surg Med 39:451-7. 2007..The present study seeks to understand the safety of LCR by determining shape change and resultant tissue viability as a function of laser dosimetry...
- The porcine and lagomorph septal cartilages: models for tissue engineering and morphologic cartilage researchB J Wong
Beckman Laser Institute and Medical Clinic, University of California-Irvine 92612, USA
Am J Rhinol 15:109-16. 2001..Our selective evaluation of key tissue properties establishes these species as appropriate animal models for nasal septal cartilaginous surgery...
- Nasal septum perforation of weldersChoong Ryeol Lee
Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Ulsan University Hospital, Dong Gu, South Korea
Ind Health 40:286-9. 2002During the periodic physical checkups in 1997-2000, the authors have found eleven cases of nasal septum perforation among 2,869 welders in Ulsan, Korea...
- Identification of chondrocyte proliferation following laser irradiation, thermal injury, and mechanical traumaBrian J F Wong
Beckman Laser Institute and Medical Clinic, University of California Irvine, 1002 Health Sciences Road East, Irvine, CA 92612, USA
Lasers Surg Med 37:89-96. 2005....
- Mucociliary transport and histologic characteristics of the mucosa of deviated nasal septumYong Ju Jang
Department of Otolaryngology, Dankook University College of Medicine, Anseo Dong 29, Cheonan City, Choongnam Do, Korea 330 714
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 128:421-4. 2002..To investigate differences in mucociliary clearance, histologic characteristics, and surface structure of the bilateral nasal septal mucosa in patients with nasal septal deviation...
- Schwannoma of the nasal septum: a case report with review of the literatureM Berlucchi
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Brescia, Italy
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 257:402-5. 2000Schwannomas are neurogenic neoplasms rarely found in the sinonasal tract, where localization to the nasal septum is exceedingly rare (only 11 cases have been described in the western literature)...
- Carcinoma ex-pleomorphic adenoma of the nasal septum with adenoid cystic and squamous carcinomatous differentiationS R Freeman
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Preston Acute Hospitals Trust, Preston, United Kingdom
Rhinology 41:118-21. 2003Carcinoma ex-pleomorphic adenoma of the nose or paranasal sinuses is extremely rare. We report the first histopathologically confirmed case with adenoid cystic carcinomatous differentiation to present arising from the nasal septum.
- A randomised prospective trial of trans-septal suturing using a novel device versus nasal packing for septoplastyArzu Y Korkut
Otolaryngology Department, Vakif Gureba Training and Research Hospital, Fatih, Istanbul, Turkey
Rhinology 48:179-82. 2010..Trans-septal suturing is not commonly used, since it takes time and is technically difficult with the available devices following septoplasty...
- The effect of spreader grafts on nasal dorsal width in patients with nasal valve insufficiencyKoen J A O Ingels
Arch Facial Plast Surg 10:354-6. 2008
- Pleomorphic adenoma of the nasal septum--a case reportSwarna S Kumar
Departments of Pathology and ENT, Vydehi Institute of Medical Science and Research Center, No 82, EPIP Area, Whitefield, Bangalore
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 47:397-8. 2004..Here, we discuss a case of pleomorphic adenoma of the nasal cavity...
- Bone and temporal fascia graft for the closure of septal perforationD Nuńez-Fernández
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital of Hradec Králové, Charles University Faculty of Medicine, Czech Republic
J Laryngol Otol 112:1167-71. 1998..To assess the reliability of temporal fascia and bone graft for the closure of septal perforation...
- Electromechanical reshaping of septal cartilageKi Hong Kevin Ho
Beckman Laser Institute and Medical Clinic, Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of California, Irvine 92612, USA
Laryngoscope 113:1916-21. 2003..This study describes the process of tissue electroforming and how shape changes in cartilage can be produced by the application of direct current (DC). The dependence of shape change on voltage and application time is explored...
- Stress relaxation in porcine septal cartilage during electromechanical reshaping: mechanical and electrical responsesDmitriy E Protsenko
Beckman Laser Institute, University of California Irvine, 1002 Health Sciences Road East, Irvine, CA 92612, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 34:455-64. 2006..Close correlation between alteration of cartilage mechanical state and change in its electrical properties suggest that an electro-chemical reaction is the dominant mechanism behind EMR...
- MICROMAGNETIC RESONANCE ELASTOGRAPHYRICHARD MAGIN; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Modulation of Olfactory CiliaMinghong Ma; Fiscal Year: 2013..From the posterior to the anterior nasal septum, the cilia length gradually increases from ~1 mm to ~20 mm with the longest cilia (~50 mm) found in the dorsal ..
- Anatomical Bases of Human Olfactory DysfunctionJames E Schwob; Fiscal Year: 2013..a more comprehensive analysis of the anatomical status of the olfactory periphery (the 1 cm2 areas on the nasal septum and the lateral nasal wall immediately inferior to the cribriform plate) with respect to the preservation of ..
- BONE GROWTH, PERIOSTEAL MIGRATION AND MUSCLE FUNCTIONSusan Herring; Fiscal Year: 2007..The second way in which soft tissues may direct skull growth involves the nasal septum. Despite being an unmineralized cartilage, the septum has been considered an important mechanical support of ..
- Olfactory Coding in MammalsMinghong Ma; Fiscal Year: 2004..In contrast, the septal organ, an island of olfactory neuroepithelium located in the ventral base of the nasal septum, presents a much smaller system with approximately 14,000 neurons expressing about 40 receptor genes...
- Mice That Lack CDO: A Model for Mild HoloprosencephalyROBERT KRAUSS; Fiscal Year: 2004..a single pedigree, with craniofacial malformations ranging from cyclopia and a proboscis to absence of the nasal septum and a solitary median maxillary incisor...
- Functional Characterization of the Septal OrganMinghong Ma; Fiscal Year: 2003..the main olfactory epithelium by a region of respiratory epithelium, lying bilaterally near the base of the nasal septum at the entrance to the nasopharynx...
- Development of a Skin Cancer Quality of Life InsturmentJohn Rhee; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Quantitative molecular imaging in articular cartilageYang Xia; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Cytokines on Olfactory Receptor Neuron FunctionAndrew Lane; Fiscal Year: 2006..Additional bench research will be performed in the laboratory of Dr. Schleimer, an established scientist with expertise in airway inflammation and cytokine modulation of cell function. ..
- Lipid Imbalance in CF: Potential CFTR DysfunctionJulie Hoover Fong; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- PHYSIOLOGICAL ANALYSIS OF THE OLFACTORY PROJECTIONSJohn Scott; Fiscal Year: 2006..These results will be of importance for understanding the sense of smell. ..
- RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN ALLERGIC RHINITIS AND SINUSITISFuad Baroody; Fiscal Year: 2003..This will hopefully help to improve our therapeutic modalities for this enigmatic illness that affects millions of Americans every year. ..
- TWO X-LINKED GENES THAT REGULATE MINERAL HOMEOSTASISMichael Whyte; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Analysis of thermoviscoelastic behavior in cartilageBrian Wong; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Nanostenting Hydrogels for Sinus SurgeryRICHARD ORLANDI; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of these Phase I studies will determine the feasibility and the optimal chemical properties of a nanostenting HA gel for human trials. ..
- Gene Discovery in Heritable Renal HypodysplasiaScott Lozanoff; Fiscal Year: 2007..This sequence will be subjected to a mouse-human homology search and it is likely that a corresponding human gene will be identified since distal murine chr17 shares a high degree of sequence affinity with human chr 2p21.1. ..
- NonInvasive Optical Imaging of Vocal Cord MicrostructureBrian Wong; Fiscal Year: 2004..Application of OCT to microlaryngeal surgery may reduce iatrogenic phonatory disability by reducing trauma to delicate structures that accompanies conventional techniques. ..
- OPTIMIZATION OF LASER MEDIATED CARTILAGE RESHAPINGBrian Wong; Fiscal Year: 2003..The MCSDA will provide the applicant with the fundamental skills needed to become an independent investigator in biomedical optics, and allow further development as a basic scientist. ..
- ODORANT-RECEPTOR INTERACTIONS IN OLFACTORY NEURONSThomas Getchell; Fiscal Year: 2005..Understanding the signaling regulating neurogenesis in the OE will yield insights into mechanisms for restoring olfactory function compromised by aging, trauma, and neurodegenerative diseases. ..