Genomes and Genes
Summary: The mucous lining of the LARYNX, consisting of various types of epithelial cells ranging from stratified squamous EPITHELIUM in the upper larynx to ciliated columnar epithelium in the rest of the larynx, mucous GOBLET CELLS, and glands containing both mucous and serous cells.
Publications230 found, 100 shown here
- Exudative laryngeal diseases of Reinke's space: a clinicohistopathological framingDario Marcotullio
Department of Otolaryngology, Policlinico Umberto I, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
J Otolaryngol 31:376-80. 2002....
- Effect of topical anesthesia of the laryngeal mucosa on upper airway mechanics in exercising horsesS J Holcombe
Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48624, USA
Am J Vet Res 62:1706-10. 2001..examinations were performed while horses ran on a treadmill with and without topical anesthesia of the laryngeal mucosa. In study 2, peak tracheal and nasopharyngeal pressures and airflows were obtained from horses during ..
- Hypertonic challenge to porcine vocal folds: effects on epithelial barrier functionMahalakshmi Sivasankar
Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 142:79-84. 2010..We examined the effects of hypertonic surface fluid on vocal fold epithelial resistance, paracellular pathway morphology, and tight junction protein integrity...
- Smoking influences the immunological architecture of the human larynxLouisa E N Rees
Laryngeal Research Group, Division of Veterinary Pathology, Infection and Immunity, Clinical Veterinary Science, Langford House, Langford, Bristol BS40 5DU, UK
Clin Immunol 118:342-7. 2006..Pinch biopsies of laryngeal mucosa were studied from 63 patients without laryngeal disease...
- The larynx as an immunological organ: immunological architecture in the pig as a large animal modelE Barker
Clinical Science at North Bristol, University of Bristol, Southmead Hospital, Bristol, UK
Clin Exp Immunol 143:6-14. 2006..The presence of such an immunological structure suggests that the larynx may have important functions in respiratory immunology and that it may trigger strong alloresponses after laryngeal transplantation...
- Vocal folds detect ionic perturbations on the luminal surface: an in vitro investigationMahalakshmi Sivasankar
Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
J Voice 22:408-19. 2008..05). Viable ovine vocal fold epithelia detect ionic perturbations to the luminal surface. This sensitivity to luminal ionic challenge may be necessary to maintain the homeostasis of surface fluid...
- Cell production in injured vocal folds: a rat studyIchiro Tateya
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Wisconsin Madison, K4 789 CSC, 600 Highland Ave, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 115:135-43. 2006..To reveal the characteristics of vocal fold cell production, we investigated cell proliferation in the acute phase of wound healing...
- Oral breathing increases Pth and vocal effort by superficial drying of vocal fold mucosaMahalakshmi Sivasankar
Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 60208, USA
J Voice 16:172-81. 2002..The facilitatory role of superficial hydration on vocal fold oscillation should be considered in biomechanical models of phonation and in the clinical prevention of laryngeal dryness...
- Contact endoscopy for the evaluation of the pharyngeal and laryngeal mucosaAthanasia Warnecke
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Medical University Hannover, Hannover, Germany
Laryngoscope 120:253-8. 2010..Its use for early diagnosis of cancerous lesions of the oropharynx and larynx has not been evaluated. The aim of the study was to validate contact endoscopy for the examination of pharyngeal and laryngeal mucosa.
- Calretinin-immunoreactive laminar nerve endings in the laryngeal mucosa of the ratY Yamamoto
Laboratory of Veterinary Anatomy, Department of Veterinary Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Gifu University, 501 1193 Gifu, Japan
Cell Tissue Res 292:613-7. 1998The distribution of laminar nerve endings that contained immunoreactive calretinin was examined in the laryngeal mucosa of the adult rat...
- 3-D optical coherence tomography of the laryngeal mucosaA G Bibas
Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery Department, Guy s Hospital, London, UK
Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci 29:713-20. 2004..Haematoxylin-eosin stained specimens were compared with the OCT images thus collected. Preliminary results showed good correlation between OCT images and histology sections in normal tissue...
- Calbindin D28k-immunoreactive afferent nerve endings in the laryngeal mucosaY Yamamoto
Laboratory of Veterinary Anatomy, Department of Veterinary Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Gifu University, Japan
Anat Rec 259:237-47. 2000..After injection of the fast blue in the laryngeal mucosa, fast blue-labeled cells were mainly observed in the nodose ganglia...
- Evaluation of voice pathology based on the estimation of vocal fold biomechanical parametersP Gómez-Vilda
Department Arquitectura y Tecnología de Sistemas Informáticos, Facultad de Informatica, Universidad Politecnica de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
J Voice 21:450-76. 2007..This research could open new possibilities for noninvasive screening of vocal fold pathologies and could be used in the implantation of e-health voice care services...
- Hypothesis of whiplike motion as a possible traumatizing mechanism in vocal fold vibrationAatto Sonninen
Department of Communication, University of Jyvaskyla, Finland
Folia Phoniatr Logop 55:189-98. 2003..g. the waves in a whiplash). This could be detrimental to the tissue structure. The role of phonation type in enhancing/diminishing this effect will also be discussed...
- Lateral phase mucosal wave asymmetries in the clinical voice laboratoryC Michael Haben
Department of Otolaryngology, McGill University Health Center, Laboratoire de la voix, Hopital General de Montreal, Universite McGill, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Voice 17:3-11. 2003..Clinically, in the absence of such data, otolaryngologists may over interpret videostroboscopic findings, leading to unnecessary investigations or interventions...
- [Application of Ljubljana classification in laryngeal precancerous lesions]Wioletta Pietruszewska
Katedra i Klinika Otolaryngologii Uniwersytetu Medycznego w Lodzi
Otolaryngol Pol 61:602-6. 2007..We suggest that the Ljubljana classification may give a reliable assessment of laryngeal hyperplastic epithelial lesions and can help in monitoring all those patients...
- The role of gastroesophageal reflux in the pathogenesis of laryngeal carcinomaDimitrios Assimakopoulos
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Ioannina Medical School, Ioannina 45110, Greece
Am J Otolaryngol 23:351-7. 2002..examination, as well as effective treatment of reflux, are considered the keys for relief of symptomatology and preventing the chronic irritation of the laryngeal mucosa that may contribute to the development of laryngeal carcinoma.
- Vocal nodules and edema may be due to vibration-induced rises in capillary pressureLukasz Czerwonka
Department of Surgery, Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Laryngoscope 118:748-52. 2008..Vocal fold vibration may physically raise intravascular pressure to levels high enough to damage capillaries and result in leakage of erythrocytes. This type of injury is commonly seen in benign vocal fold lesions and is not well explained...
- Laryngeal deviation: condition mimicking submucosal tumorH Funatsu
Division of Diagnostic Imaging, Chiba Cancer Center, Chiba, Japan
J Postgrad Med 52:49-50. 2006
- Histological and electron microscopic investigation of Reinke's edemaPiotr Pastuszek
Department of Otolaryngology, Medical University, Wrocław
Pol J Pathol 54:61-4. 2003..0042, p=0.0021). Electron microscopic investigations revealed loosened intercellular junctions and widening of intercellular spaces, especially in basal and spinous layers...
- Surgical management of sulcus vocalis and vocal fold scarringSeth H Dailey
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine, University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, K4 720, 600 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53792 7375, USA
Otolaryngol Clin North Am 39:23-42. 2006
- Anatomy and physiology of the larynxJ Pieter Noordzij
Vanderbilt Voice Center, Department of Otolaryngology, 7302 Medical Center East, South Tower 1215, 21st Avenue South, Nashville, TN 37232 8783, USA
Otolaryngol Clin North Am 39:1-10. 2006
- Pachydermia is not diagnostic of active laryngopharyngeal reflux diseaseR Keith Hill
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX, USA
Laryngoscope 114:1557-61. 2004..To determine the change in pachydermia/posterior commissure hypertrophy in patients with laryngopharyngeal reflux disease (LPR) on long-term acid-suppressive therapy...
- Videolaryngostroboscopic observation of mucus layer during vocal cord vibration in patients with vocal nodules before and after surgeryMing Wang Hsiung
Department of Otolaryngology, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan
Acta Otolaryngol 124:186-91. 2004..The aim of this study was to review VLS recordings of VN patients, analyzing changes that occurred in the mucus layer that covers the vocal fold during vibration following VN surgery...
- Pediatric video laryngo-stroboscopyChristopher J Hartnick
Department of Otology and Laryngology, Division of Pediatric Otolaryngology, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, 243 Charles Street, Boston, MA 02114 3914, USA
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 69:215-9. 2005..However, flexible laryngoscopy is readily performed in newborns and young children. This paper describes the use of a new trans-nasal, digital flexible laryngoscope, which allows for laryngo-stroboscopy in children...
- Study on ceramide expression and DNA content in patients with healthy mucosa, leukoplakia, and carcinoma of the larynxFang Lu Chi
Department of Otolaryngology, Eye Ear Nose and Throat Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 130:307-10. 2004To investigate the expression of ceramide produced by sphingomyelin and DNA content in patients with healthy laryngeal mucosa, leukoplakia, and laryngeal carcinoma.
- Differential expression of retinoic acid receptor beta (RARbeta) and the AP-1 transcription factor in normal, premalignant and malignant human laryngeal tissuesM V Karamouzis
Department of Anatomy and Histology Embryology, School of Medicine, University of Patras, Patras, Greece
Eur J Cancer 40:761-73. 2004....
- Microendoscopy of Reinke's spaceHenry T Hoffman
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa 52242 1078, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 117:510-4; discussion 515-6. 2008..We designed this study to identify the feasibility of limited-access surgery of the lamina propria using microendoscopes placed into Reinke's space through an external approach...
- Oral breathing challenge in participants with vocal attritionMahalakshmi Sivasankar
Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 60208, USA
J Speech Lang Hear Res 46:1416-27. 2003..That sol layer depletion by obligatory oral breathing increased Pth and vocal effort provides support for the role of superficial hydration in maintaining ease of phonation...
- [Making a diagnosis of different lesions of vocal fold mucosa by contact endoscopy--the first usage in our clinical practice]Milan B Jovanovic
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Maxillofacial and Cervical Pathology, Zemun Clinical and Hospital Centre, Belgrade
Srp Arh Celok Lek 133:134-7. 2005..All these features definitely classify the contact endoscopy into additional diagnostic methods in laryngology...
- [Thermal stress on the healthy laryngeal mucosa caused by CO(2) laser treatments]H Kaftan
Klinik und Poliklinik Fur Hals, Nasen und Ohrenkrankheiten, Kopf und Halschirurgie, Ernst Moritz Arndt Universitat, Greifswald
HNO 51:880-5. 2003..During prolonged tumor surgery the tender mucosa of the surrounding healthy tissue can be irreversible affected and damaged due to thermal exposure above 45 degrees C...
- Voice and deglutition functions after the supracricoid and total laryngectomy procedures for advanced stage laryngeal carcinomaJames Paul Dworkin
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Wayne State University, School of Medicine, Detroit, MI, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 129:311-20. 2003..Study design and setting Cohort investigation at Wayne State University School of Medicine...
- Diagnostic sensitivity and specificity of laryngoscopic signs of reflux laryngitisRuta Pribuisiene
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Kaunas University of Medicine, Eiveniu 2, 50009 Kaunas, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 44:280-7. 2008..To assess the diagnostic sensitivity and specificity of the laryngoscopic signs of reflux laryngitis...
- [Usefulness of video-laryngo-stroboscopy in the diagnosis of laryngeal pathology]Bozena Kosztyła-Hojna
Katedra i Klinika Otolaryngologii Akademii Medycznej w Białymstoku
Pol Merkur Lekarski 14:413-6. 2003..Aberrations in the vocal fold vibrations indicate a supraepithelial oedema of the laryngeal mucosa and a functional type of dysphonia, requiring differential therapy...
- [Relationship of matrilysin with invasion, metastasis, and prognosis in laryngeal cancer]Ya Nan Sun
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, The Third Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, Guangdong, 510630, PR China
Ai Zheng 23:589-92. 2004..This study was designed to investigate the significance of MMP-7 expression in the invasion and metastasis of laryngeal cancer and the relationship of MMP-7 expression with the prognosis of laryngeal cancer...
- Morphological and functional aspects of the senile larynxPaulo Pontes
Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Department, Centro de Estudos da Voz CEV, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Folia Phoniatr Logop 58:151-8. 2006..To analyze the senile larynx, considering morphological aspects during respiration and functional aspects during phonation, comparing it to the young adult larynx...
- An immunohistochemical study of cyclin D1 protein expression in laryngeal squamous cell carcinomaKamal Morshed
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Medical University of Lublin, Lublin, Poland
Acta Otolaryngol 127:760-9. 2007..No correlation between cyclin D1 expression and survival rates in LC was found in a multivariate analysis...
- Larynx preservation with supracricoid partial laryngectomy with cricohyoidoepiglottopexy. Correlation of videostroboscopic findings and voice parametersGregory S Weinstein
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, The University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 111:1-7. 2002..Patients with lower periodicity and symmetry scores tended to have lower jitter and shimmer percentages...
- Sulcus vocalis: probable genetic etiology. Report of four cases in close relativesRegina Helena Garcia Martins
Faculdade de Medicina de Botucatu, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, SP
Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 73:573. 2007
- Sulcus vocalis: a reviewAntoine Giovanni
Laboratoire d AudioPhonologie Expérimentale et Clinique de l Université de la Méditerranée, Marseille, France
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 264:337-44. 2007....
- Optical coherence tomography monitoring for laser surgery of laryngeal carcinomaA V Shakhov
Nizhny Novgorod Medical Academy, Uljanov St. 46, Nizhny Novgorod, 603600, Russia
J Surg Oncol 77:253-8. 2001..RESULTS: Information on structural alterations in laryngeal mucosa to the depth of 2 mm, obtained by OCT, makes it possible to precisely locate tumor borders, thus giving an ..
- Morphological aspect of voice disturbances of aged persons coexisting hypopharynx cancerBozena Kosztyla-Hojna
Department of Otolaryngology, Medical University of Bialystok, Poland
Folia Histochem Cytobiol 45:221-7. 2007..Edematous and atrophic changes in the vocal folds mucosa are most frequently reported form of prebysphonia...
- Comparison of contact endoscopy and frozen section histopathology in the intra-operative diagnosis of laryngeal pathologyD Cikojević
Department of ENT, Split University Hospital, Split, Croatia
J Laryngol Otol 122:836-9. 2008..This method enables in vivo microscopy of laryngeal mucosa. In the present study, comparison of contact endoscopy with frozen section histopathology was performed in ..
- Stroboscopic assessment of vocal fold keratosis and glottic cancerD Colden
Department of Otology and Laryngology, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston 02114, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 110:293-8. 2001..The reduced epithelial pliability could be due to bulky keratosis and/or alteration of the SLP occurring as a result of inflammation or fibrovascular scarring...
- Prognostic significance of stomatin-like protein 2 overexpression in laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma: clinical, histologic, and immunohistochemistry analyses with tissue microarrayWen feng Cao
Department of Pathology, Tianjin Medical University Cancer Institute and Hospital, Tianjin, China
Hum Pathol 38:747-52. 2007..000) and furthermore that SLP-2 expression correlates with clinical stage. Overexpression can be regarded as a significant prognostic factor, with higher expression being found in lymph node metastasis...
- Expression of PTEN protein in patients with laryngeal squamous cell carcinomaKenan Guney
Department of Ear Nose Throat Head and Neck Surgery, Akdeniz University Medical Faculty, Antalya, Turkey
Auris Nasus Larynx 34:481-6. 2007..Therefore, we examined PTEN product protein immunohistochemically in 30 consecutive laryngeal specimens from patients with laryngeal SCC and compared the results according to the clinicopathologic characteristics of the patients...
- Bilateral sulcus vocalisRobert Eller
American Institute for Voice and Ear Research, Philadelphia, USA
Ear Nose Throat J 85:634. 2006
- [Evaluation of the ultrastructure of the vocal folds mucosa in patients with presbyphonia]Bozena Kosztyła-Hojna
Katedra i Klinika Otolaryngologii AM w Białymstoku
Otolaryngol Pol 56:239-43. 2002..An increased number of collagenous fibers, vacuolar degeneration of fibroblasts with enlarged granular endoplasmic reticulum and an increased number of blood vessels in the stroma suggested an atrophic form of presbyphonia...
- Laryngopharyngeal reflux finding scores correlate with gastroesophageal reflux disease and Helicobacter pylori expressionMesut Sabri Tezer
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Ankara Numune Education and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Acta Otolaryngol 126:958-61. 2006..HP positivity and degree of GERD were more adverse in patients with a reflux finding score (RFS) of 7 or more...
- Videostrobolaryngoscopy of mucus layer during vocal fold vibration in patients with laryngeal tension-fatigue syndromeTzu Yu Hsiao
Department of Otolaryngology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 111:537-41. 2002....
- Differential tissue and subcellular expressionof ERM proteins in normal and malignant tissues: cytoplasmic ezrin expression has prognostic signficance for head and neck squamous cell carcinomaRashna Madan
Department of Pathology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Montefiore Medical Center, 1300 Morris Park Avenue, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Head Neck 28:1018-27. 2006..TMA sections were evaluated for ERM protein expression immunohistochemically. The results were compared across clinical and histopathologic variables..
- [Evaluation of the voice in the elderly]Bozena Kosztyła-Hojna
Klinika Otolaryngologii Akademii Medycznej w Białymstoku
Pol Merkur Lekarski 12:201-3. 2002..The histological structure of vocal fold mucous membrane (squamous epithelium) was presented. Morphological changes of vocal folds are the underlying cause of voice pathology...
- Severe laryngeal hyperkeratosis secondaryto laryngopharyngeal refluxIsabel Garcia
Department of Otolaryngology, Hospital Universitario Ramon y Cajal, Madrid
Ear Nose Throat J 85:417. 2006
- Laser scanning microscopy of the human larynx mucosa: a preliminary, ex vivo studyTino Just
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, The Institute for Pathology, University of Rostock, Rostock, Germany
Laryngoscope 116:1136-41. 2006..1 to 0.5 mm. The aim of this ex vivo prospective pilot study was to investigate the potential use of LSM for the diagnosis of laryngeal cancer and its precursors...
- Pigeon paramyxovirus: association with common avian pathogens in chickens and serologic survey in wild birdsH Toro
Department of Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, 166 Greene Hall, Auburn University, AL 36849 5519, USA
Avian Dis 49:92-8. 2005..In the upper respiratory tract, lesions were confined to the larynx and proximal trachea as hyperplasia of laryngeal mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue. In the lung, PPMV-1 caused minimal to moderate multifocal interstitial pneumonia...
- Supraglottic activity: evidence of vocal hyperfunction or laryngeal articulation?S V Stager
Voice Treatment Center, The George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
J Speech Lang Hear Res 43:229-38. 2000..activity, we compared the incidence of static and dynamic supraglottic activity in individuals with normal laryngeal mucosa, normal voice quality, and no voice complaints to two populations: subjects with vocal fold nodules and ..
- Identification of the tracheal and laryngeal afferent neurones mediating cough in anaesthetized guinea-pigsBrendan J Canning
Johns Hopkins Asthma and Allergy Center, 5501 Hopkins Bayview Circle, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
J Physiol 557:543-58. 2004..Cough was evoked by electrical or mechanical stimulation of the tracheal or laryngeal mucosa, or by citric acid applied topically to the trachea or larynx...
- [The expressions and significance of CK2 in normal laryngeal mucosa, laryngeal precancerosis and laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma]Lei Wu
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Liyuan Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, 430077, China
Lin Chung Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi 21:825-7, 830. 2007..To investigate the expression of protein kinase CK2 and its relationship with the development, progress, invasion and metastasis of squamous cell carcinoma of larynx (LSCC)...
- [Oncogenes and cancer of the larynx. EGFR, p21 ras and HPV-DNA infections]G Almadori
Istituti di Clinica Otorinolaringoiatrica, , Roma
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 15:1-22. 1995..Furthermore, in this study p21-ras expression in 43 primary laryngeal cancers and in 7 normal laryngeal mucosa specimens was evaluated. Scattered p21 levels, expressed as optical density (O...
- Intraepithelial nerve fibers project into the lumen of the larynxManuel Lima-Rodrigues
School of Health Sciences, Life and Health Sciences Research Institute, University of Minho, Braga, Portugal
Laryngoscope 114:1074-7. 2004Studies on the morphology and location of the sensory receptors in the laryngeal mucosa have resulted in insufficient and sometimes conflicting data...
- Morphological aspects of altered basement membrane metabolism in invasive carcinomas of the breast and the larynxA G Nerlich
Pathologisches Institut, Universitat Munchen, Germany
Anticancer Res 18:3515-20. 1998..While normal mammary glands and laryngeal mucosa revealed an intact epithelial BM as evidenced by a continuous linear staining for collagen IV, laminin-1, ..
- Extraesophageal acid reflux and recurrent respiratory papilloma in childrenMargo McKenna
Department of Otolaryngology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 69:597-605. 2005..Latent virus is found in the laryngeal mucosa of many more patients than exhibit the disease...
- Multiple myeloma involving the thyroid cartilageTaketoshi Shimada
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, 465 Kajii cho, Kamigyo ku, Kyoto 602 0841, Japan
Auris Nasus Larynx 34:277-9. 2007..CT scan revealed low-density areas within the thyroid cartilage, but the laryngeal mucosa and submucosal soft tissue were intact...
- Genotoxicity of di-butyl-phthalate and di-iso-butyl-phthalate in human lymphocytes and mucosal cellsN H Kleinsasser
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, Germany
Teratog Carcinog Mutagen 21:189-96. 2001..b>Laryngeal mucosa of patients with laryngeal squamous cell carcinomas was harvested as well...
- [New trends in endoscopic diagnosis of tumors of the larynx]Nenad Baletic
Clinic for Ear, Nose and Throat, Military Medical Academy, Belgrade
Srp Arh Celok Lek 131:182-5. 2003..Contact laryngomicroscopy is in vivo microscopic examination of laryngeal mucosa without biopsy. Procedure is performed during laryngomicroscopy by introducing contact endoscope into larynx...
- Bile acids and total bilirubin detection in saliva of patients submitted to gastric surgery and in particular to subtotal Billroth II resectionEugenio De Corso
Institute of Otorhinolaryngology, Catholic University of Medicine and Surgery, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Policlinico A Gemelli No 1, 00168 Rome, Italy
Ann Surg 245:880-5. 2007The aim of our study was to detect bile acids and total bilirubin in saliva of gastrectomized patients, to confirm objectively presence of biliary laryngopharyngeal reflux and its relationship with laryngeal mucosa damage.
- [Hypopharynx reconstruction of defects after operation on advanced pyriform sinus cancer with remaining laryngeal mucosa flap and pectoralis major myocutaneous flap]Guohua Hu
Department of Otolaryngology, The First Affiliated Hospital, Chongqing Medical University, PR China
Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi 18:295-7. 2004To explore the outcome of hypopharynx reconstruction by using remaining laryngeal mucosa flap and pectoralis major myocutaneous flap in advanced pyriform sinus cancer.
- [Relationships of human laryngeal squamous cell carcinomas with the expression of VEGF-C and VEGFR-3]Zhongliang Wang
Department of Otolaryngology, Subei People s Hospital of Jiangsu Province, Yangzhou 225002, China
Sheng Wu Yi Xue Gong Cheng Xue Za Zhi 26:842-6. 2009..VEGFR-3), we examined the level of VEGF-C and VEGFR-3 gene expression in the samples from 30 cases of normal laryngeal mucosa tissue (NLM), primary laryngeal carcinoma (PLC) and cervical lymph node (CLN) by using reverse transcription ..
- Detection of laryngeal tumors and tumoral extension by multislice computed tomography-virtual laryngoscopy (MSCT-VL)Mahmut Beser
Radiology Department, Taksim Research and Education Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 266:1953-8. 2009..b>Laryngeal mucosa, lumen and mass pathology were evaluated initially by direct endoscopy and then by virtual laryngoscopy ..
- [Distribution of laminin, type IV collagen and fibronectin in normal, dysplastic and neoplastic laryngeal tissue]P Nicolai
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 10:139-49. 1990..the basement membrane (BM) were analyzed by immunohistochemical methods in normal, dysplastic and neoplastic laryngeal mucosa specimens...
- Indirect fluorescence laryngoscopy in the diagnosis of precancerous and cancerous laryngeal lesionsC Arens
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospitals Giessen and Marburg, Feulgenstrasse 10, 35385, Giessen, Germany
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 264:621-6. 2007..Inconspicuous laryngeal mucosa presented a typical green fluorescence signal in autofluorescence endoscopy, which turned blue during 5-ALA-..
- [Percutaneous dilatational tracheostomy]T Welte
Klinik fur Kardiologie, Angiologie, Pneumologie, Otto von Guericke Universitat Magdeburg
Med Klin (Munich) 94:51-4. 1999..long-term ventilation in intensive care, which reduces the risk of necrotizing lesions of the pharyngeal and laryngeal mucosa. Since the introduction of the percutaneous dilatational tracheostomy, experienced physicians are able to ..
- Connexins within the rat larynxMark B Van Deusen
Department of Otolaryngology and Communication Sciences, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 139:823-8. 2008..To determine the types and localization of connexins within the rat larynx...
- [Mucous membrane pemphigoid: clinical manifestations and treatment with corticosteroids, dapsone and cyclophosphamide in 5 patients]Agustín España
Servicio de Dermatologia, Clinica Universitaria de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
Actas Dermosifiliogr 96:357-64. 2005..MMP can cause significant dysfunctions, primarily in the mucous membranes. Therefore, it is necessary to diagnose the disease as soon as possible, in order to quickly initiate systemic immunosuppressive treatment...
- Histological evaluation of the equine larynx after unilateral laser-assisted ventriculocordectomyP Robinson
Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Equine Vet J 39:222-5. 2007..However, removal of the vocal fold and ventricle takes considerable laser energy and could cause collateral tissue damage, including injury to the adjacent laryngeal cartilages...
- Atypical mycobacteriosis of the larynx: an unusual clinical presentation secondary to steroids inhalationBeverly Y Wang
Department of Pathology, Tisch Hospital, H461, New York University Medical Center, NY 10016, USA
Ann Diagn Pathol 12:426-9. 2008..Vocal cord biopsies were performed. Histologic examination revealed unremarkable laryngeal mucosa, except for abundant subepithelial non-necrotizing granulomata...
- Laryngeal disorders in patients with gastroesophageal reflux diseaseF Farrokhi
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Center for Swallowing and Esophageal Disorders, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, USA
Minerva Gastroenterol Dietol 53:181-7. 2007..Injury may occur as a result of one or chronic reflux of gastroduodenal contents directly injuring the laryngeal mucosa. Since less amount of acid is required to make the injury to the larynx as compared to injury to esophagus; ..
- Laryngeal manifestations of gastroesophageal reflux diseaseMichael F Vaezi
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Center for Swallowing and Esophageal Disorders, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, C2104 MCN, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Curr Gastroenterol Rep 10:271-7. 2008..Damage to laryngeal mucosa may be the result of reflux of gastroduodenal contents, whether chronic or a single incident...
- Activation of central adenosine A(2A) receptors enhances superior laryngeal nerve stimulation-induced apnea in piglets via a GABAergic pathwayJalal M Abu-Shaweesh
Department of Pediatrics, Case Medical Center and Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 103:1205-11. 2007Activation of the laryngeal mucosa results in apnea that is mediated through, and can be elicited via electrical stimulation of, the superior laryngeal nerve (SLN)...
- Acute, subchronic, and mutagenicity studies with norbornene fluoroalcoholMichael P DeLorme
E I duPont de Nemours and Company, Haskell Laboratory for Health and Environmental Sciences, Newark, Delaware 19714 0050, USA
Drug Chem Toxicol 28:379-95. 2005..Both male and female rats exposed to 1400 mg/m(3) or greater had squamous metaplasia of the laryngeal mucosa and degeneration of the nasal olfactory and respiratory mucosa...
- Early laryngeal injury and complications because of endotracheal intubation in acutely poisoned patients: a prospective observational studyBruno Megarbane
Department of Toxicological and Medical Critical Care, Lariboisiere Hospital, Paris Diderot University, France
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 48:331-6. 2010..Although considered as a safe procedure, intubation may rapidly damage laryngeal mucosa. The incidence and nature of short-duration intubation-associated laryngeal injuries are unknown in the ..
- [Correlation of the expression of survivin and caspase-3 proteins in juvenile laryngeal papilloma]Wu Wang
Children s Hospital, Chongqing Medical University, Chongqing, China
Xi Bao Yu Fen Zi Mian Yi Xue Za Zhi 25:1034-5. 2009..To investigate correlation between the expression of survivin and caspase-3 proteins in juvenile laryngeal papilloma...
- Prognostic value of expression of p53, proliferating cell nuclear antigen, and c-erbB-2 in laryngeal carcinomaDeniz Micozkadioglu
Department of Otolaryngology, Mersin University School of Medicine, Hastanesi, Zeytinlibahce Cad, Mersin, Turkey
Med Sci Monit 14:CR299-304. 2008The molecular mechanisms in malignant transformation of laryngeal mucosa are unknown; many clinical and pathological factors affect prognosis...
- A case of fatal triazolam overdoseFumio Moriya
Department of Legal Medicine, Kochi Medical School, Kohasu, Oko cho, Nankoku City, Kochi 783 8505, Japan
Leg Med (Tokyo) 5:S91-5. 2003..Moderate to severe petechiae were present on his conjunctivae, buccal mucosa, and laryngeal mucosa at autopsy. Cardiac chambers contained a normal volume of fluid blood...
- Ear, nose and throat manifestations in pemphigus vulgarisA Espana
Department of Dermatology, University Clinic of Navarra, School of Medicine, University of Navarra, 31080 Pamplona, Navarra, Spain
Br J Dermatol 156:733-7. 2007..There are two clinical forms: mucosal (MPV) and mucocutaneous (MCPV). The frequency of ear, nose and throat (ENT) involvement in PV is not clearly defined. Only a few isolated individual cases have been reported...
- [The effect of hormonal agents on the development of chronic laryngitis and tumor disease. Report of two cases]D Kleemann
HNO Klinik, MediClin Müritz Klinikum GmbH, Weinbergstr 19, 17192, Waren Müritz
HNO 58:305-12. 2010..Apart from the male preponderance in tumor formation, the high incidence at an age characterized by decreased peripheral androgenic signalling should be noted...
- Contact endoscopy of the larynx as an auxiliary method to the surgical margins in frontolateral laryngectomyR A Dedivitis
Postgraduation Course on Health Sciences, Hospital Heliopolis, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 29:16-20. 2009Contact laryngomicroscopy is in vivo laryngeal mucosa microscopic examination and rigid telescopy is a non-invasive technique that enables the systematic observation of many details in the large area of vocal fold mucosa...
- Laryngeal reflex responses are not modulated during human voice and respiratory tasksVictor M Henriquez
Laryngeal and Speech Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke NIH, 10 Center Drive MSC 1416, Bethesda, MD 20892 1416, USA
J Physiol 585:779-89. 2007..stimulation of afferents in the superior laryngeal nerve (SLN) or by deflection of mechanoreceptors in the laryngeal mucosa. We hypothesized that because this reflex is life-sustaining, laryngeal muscle responses to sensory stimuli ..
- Expression of ras oncogene p21 protein in normal and neoplastic laryngeal tissues: correlation with histopathological features and epidermal growth factor receptorsG Scambia
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Catholic University, Rome, Italy
Br J Cancer 69:995-9. 1994Western blotting analysis of the p21 ras oncoprotein was performed in seven normal laryngeal mucosa specimens and 43 primary laryngeal cancers. Varying p21 levels, expressed as optical density (OD), were found in normal mucosa (median 1...
- Indirect autofluorescence laryngoscopy in the diagnosis of laryngeal cancer and its precursor lesionsC Arens
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University Hospital of Giessen, Giessen, Germany
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 261:71-6. 2004..Comparable to direct autofluorescence images, normal laryngeal mucosa showed a typical green fluorescence signal...
- Reconstruction of hypopharynx and cervical oesophagus for treatment of advanced hypopharyngeal carcinoma and recurrent laryngeal carcinomaQing Xiao
Department of Hematology, The First Affiliated Hospital, Chongqing Medical University, 1 Youyi Road, Yuzhong, Chongqing, China
Asian J Surg 33:14-9. 2010..To review our treatment strategy and outcomes in reconstructing the hypopharynx and cervical oesophagus with five techniques for advanced hypopharyngeal carcinoma and recurrent laryngeal carcinoma...
- [Chronic laryngitis in adults]Olfa Ben Gamra
Service ORL and Chirurgie Cervico Faciale, Hôpital Habib Thameur Tunis, Tunisie
Tunis Med 85:641-3. 2007Chronic laryngitis is a lingering inflammation of the laryngeal mucosa, caused by specific aetiology and often irritative factors.
- Mucous membrane pemphigoid: nasal and laryngeal manifestationsO J H Whiteside
Department of Otolaryngology, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, UK
J Laryngol Otol 117:885-8. 2003..as vesiculobullous lesions of the oral cavity and eyes, but other tissues such as the nasopharyngeal and laryngeal mucosa can also be affected. Ultimately, scarring and airway stenosis may occur...
- Electrical stimulation of a denervated muscle promotes selective reinnervation by native over foreign motoneuronsDavid L Zealear
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
J Neurophysiol 87:2195-9. 2002..was quantitated by recording EMG potentials evoked reflexly by stimulation of sensory afferents of the laryngeal mucosa. All four experimental animals showed a greater level of correct PCA muscle reinnervation (P < 0...
- A case of fatal hemorrhage in the cerebral ventricles following intravenous use of methamphetamineFumio Moriya
Department of Legal Medicine, Kochi Medical School, Kohasu, Oko cho, Nankoku City, Japan
Forensic Sci Int 129:104-9. 2002..Petechiae were observed on the conjunctiva of his right eye, laryngeal mucosa, epicardium and under the capsule of the liver (to a slight or moderate degree). The brain, weighing 1...
- [Correlation between the expression of aquaporin 1 and the micro-angiogenesis in laryngeal carcinoma]Guimei Guan
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, China Japan Friendship Hospital, Jilin University, Changchun, 130031, China
Lin Chung Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi 23:219-21. 2009..To confirm the expression and distribution of aquaporin 1 in laryngeal carcinoma, and analyze the correlation to micro angiogenesis in the development of laryngeal carcinoma...
- Autofluorescence endoscopy in the diagnosis of early laryngeal cancer and its precursor lesionsKarin Malzahn
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Giessen, Germany
Laryngoscope 112:488-93. 2002..The aim of the present study is to investigate a high, representative number of patients and to evaluate the diagnostic potential and the limitations of this method...
- [The expression of MMP-2, E-cadherin in supraglottic carcinoma and their relationship with cervical lymph node metastasis]Changling Sun
Department of Otolaryngology, The Fourth People s Hospital, Wuxi, 214062, China
Lin Chung Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi 21:834-7. 2007..To study the expressions of matrix metalloproteinase-2 (MMP-2) and E-cadherin in laryngeal carcinoma and their relationship with cervical lymph node metastasis...
- Corticosteroid-induced laryngeal disorders in asthmaTomasz Krecicki
Otorhinolaryngology Department of the Medical University of Wrocław, Wrocław, Poland
Med Sci Monit 12:CR351-4. 2006..The purpose of this study was to analyze and assess the influence of inhaled corticosteroids on the vocal cords of patients treated for bronchial asthma...
- Diagnosis and management of carcinoma of unknown primary in the head and neckWolfgang J Issing
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Marchioninistr 15, 81337 Munich, Germany
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 260:436-43. 2003..Additional postoperative radiation of the entire pharyngeal and laryngeal mucosa should also be considered in order to treat a possible small primary tumor in this region.
- Laryngeal stimulation by an acid solution in the pre-term lambMarie St-Hilaire
University of Sherbrooke, Department of Pediatrics
Adv Exp Med Biol 605:154-8. 2008In a mature organism, the contact between various liquids and the laryngeal mucosa triggers lower airway protective responses (cough, swallowing, arousal). These laryngeal chemoreflexes (LCR) are essential for preventing aspiration...
- Mucosal Immune and Bacterial Characterization in Chronic LaryngitisSusan L Thibeault; Fiscal Year: 2013..This innovative proposal will map the immunological, including bacterial, architecture of the normal laryngeal mucosa and examine how it is altered in chronic laryngitis as defined by diffuse smoke, reflux and/or focal polypoid ..
- KININS AS MEDIATORS OF HUMAN REACTIONSBRENDAN CANNING; Fiscal Year: 2003..These rigorous studies will not only clarify the role of BK in airway diseases, but will also have broader relevance by providing new and important insights into how neural function is altered in asthma and rhinitis. ..
- Reflexes and Supraesophageal Consequences of Reflux DiseaseBrendan J Canning; Fiscal Year: 2010..This research may also help identify novel therapeutic strategies for treating both GERD and chronic cough. ..
- AUTONOMIC REGULATION OF AIRWAY SMOOTH MUSCLE TONEBRENDAN CANNING; Fiscal Year: 2001..It is anticipated that this information will improve our understanding of the role of the autonomic innervation of the healthy and diseased lung. ..
- The effects of strain on vocal fold fibroblastsRyan Branski; Fiscal Year: 2004..Furthermore, it seeks to provide in vitro data in conjunction with the Sponsor's current NIH ROI. ..
- Reflux Disease in Patients with Throat Signs/SymptomsMichael Vaezi; Fiscal Year: 2005..These methods will be employed pre- and post-therapy on all patients to assess their potential clinical utility, especially in those unresponsive to medical therapy after aggressive acid suppression. ..
- REGULATION OF VOCAL FOLD HYDRATION AND PHONATIONKimberly Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2003..A primary goal is the development of an R01 proposal by the candidate during years 3-4 of this project. ..
- International Conference on Advances in Laryngeal BiophysiologySusan Thibeault; Fiscal Year: 2008..The multifactorial nature of voice disorders necessitates study for a comprehensive understanding of the disease mechanisms for optimal treatment success. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Medullary GABAergic Neurons in Neonatal Reflex ApneaJalal Abu Shaweesh; Fiscal Year: 2008..Such an environment maximizes the potential for the PI to establish an independent academic career. [unreadable] (End of Abstract) [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Safety & effectiveness of HA hydrogels in immortalized vocal fold fibroblast cellSusan Thibeault; Fiscal Year: 2007..Efforts from this R21 will provide imminent directions for an R01 focusing on human clinical trials for treatment of ECM disorders. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Biophysiological Mechanisms of 'Heightened Speech'Katherine Verdolini; Fiscal Year: 2007..The primary dependent variable is quality of life in relation to voice, measured with the Voice Handicap Index. Secondary variables are aerodynamic, laryngeal, and vocal quality measures. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Fine Needle Aspiration of Benign Vocal Fold LesionsSusan Thibeault; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Improved Measurements of Vocal Fold-Related TissuesSarah Klemuk; Fiscal Year: 2006..Surface roughness of plate and substrate surfaces will be quantified using SEM technology and Scanning Probe Microscopy. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A Computational Tool for Simulation of Phonosurgical Pr*Eric Hunter; Fiscal Year: 2006..It is expected that the posturing model will have a significant impact on surgically based voice therapies, as well as on vocal fold modeling in general and post-surgical therapy. ..
- Regulation of Murine Tracheal Cartilage DevelopmentLEILA MANKARIOUS; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Laryngeal hydration aerosol for prevention of voice disordersKimberly Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..