Genomes and Genes
parasympathetic nervous system
Summary: The craniosacral division of the autonomic nervous system. The cell bodies of the parasympathetic preganglionic fibers are in brain stem nuclei and in the sacral spinal cord. They synapse in cranial autonomic ganglia or in terminal ganglia near target organs. The parasympathetic nervous system generally acts to conserve resources and restore homeostasis, often with effects reciprocal to the sympathetic nervous system.
Publications239 found, 100 shown here
- Autonomic changes during wake-sleep transition: a heart rate variability based approachZvi Shinar
Abramson Center for Medical Physics, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Auton Neurosci 130:17-27. 2006....
- Retarded growth and deficits in the enteric and parasympathetic nervous system in mice lacking GFR alpha2, a functional neurturin receptorJ Rossi
Program of Molecular Neurobiology, Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, Finland
Neuron 22:243-52. 1999..Thus, GFR alpha2 is a physiological NTN receptor, essential for the development of specific postganglionic parasympathetic neurons...
- Relationship of heart rate variability to parasympathetic effectJ J Goldberger
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Circulation 103:1977-83. 2001..We postulated that a quadratic function would describe the relationship between HRV and parasympathetic effect better than a linear function...
- Effect of cold water immersion on postexercise parasympathetic reactivationM Buchheit
Research Laboratory, EA 3300 Exercise Physiology and Rehabilitation, Faculty of Sports Sciences, University of Picardie, Jules Verne, Amiens, France
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 296:H421-7. 2009..CWI may serve as a simple and effective means to accelerate parasympathetic reactivation during the immediate period following supramaximal exercise...
- GDNF and neurturin are target-derived factors essential for cranial parasympathetic neuron developmentE Hashino
Center for Hearing and Deafness, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY 14214, USA
Development 128:3773-82. 2001....
- Influence of cold water face immersion on post-exercise parasympathetic reactivationHani Al Haddad
Faculty of Sport Sciences, University of Picardie, Amiens, France
Eur J Appl Physiol 108:599-606. 2010..026) and HRR (P = 0.002) values for the CWFI compared with the CON condition. Cold water face immersion appears to be a simple and efficient means of immediately accelerating post-exercise parasympathetic reactivation...
- Noninvasive assessment of cardiac parasympathetic function: postexercise heart rate recovery or heart rate variability?Martin Buchheit
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 293:H8-10. 2007
- GDNF family signalling in exocrine tissues: distinct roles for GDNF and neurturin in parasympathetic neuron developmentJari Rossi
Program in Molecular Neurobiology, Institute of Biotechnology, Viikki Biocenter, University of Helsinki, Finland
Adv Exp Med Biol 506:19-26. 2002
- Spatial segregation within the sacral parasympathetic nucleus of neurons innervating the bladder or the penis of the rat as revealed by three-dimensional reconstructionB Banrezes
Analyse et Modélisation en Imagerie Biologique, I N R A Jeune Equipe 1060 77, 78352 Jouy en Josas, France
Neuroscience 115:97-109. 2002..These results support the hypothesis of a viscerotopic organization of sacral neurons providing the spinal control of pelvic organs...
- Gene targeting reveals a critical role for neurturin in the development and maintenance of enteric, sensory, and parasympathetic neuronsR O Heuckeroth
Department of Pediatrics, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Neuron 22:253-63. 1999..The loss of GFR alpha2-expressing neurons, in conjunction with earlier studies, provides strong support for GFR alpha2/Ret receptor complexes as the critical mediators of NTN function in vivo...
- Parasympathetic nervous system and heart failure: pathophysiology and potential implications for therapyBrian Olshansky
Division of Cardiology, University of Iowa Hospitals, 200 Hawkins Dr 4426a JCP, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Circulation 118:863-71. 2008
- Muscarinic acetylcholine receptors and airway diseasesFiona R Coulson
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, 615 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Pharmacol Ther 98:59-69. 2003..The mechanisms by which neuronal M(2) muscarinic receptor function is lost and its relevance to human airway disease are discussed in this review...
- Parasympathetic innervation and function of endocrine pancreas requires the glial cell line-derived factor family receptor alpha2 (GFRalpha2)Jari Rossi
Neuroscience Center, P O Box 56 Viikinkaari 4, 00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
Diabetes 54:1324-30. 2005..The GFRalpha2-KO mouse represents a useful model to study the role of parasympathetic innervation of the endocrine pancreas in glucose homeostasis...
- The parasympathetic nervous system in the quest for stroke therapeuticsCletus Cheyuo
Center for Immunology and Inflammation, The Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, Manhasset, NY 11030, USA
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 31:1187-95. 2011..Activation of the parasympathetic nervous system (PNS) has been shown to antagonize a multiplicity of pathologic mechanisms...
- Links between adolescent sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system functioning and interpersonal behavior over timeLisa M Diamond
University of Utah, USA
Int J Psychophysiol 88:339-48. 2013....
- Mortality, cardiac vagal control and physical training--what's the link?Ashesh N Buch
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Birmingham, UK
Exp Physiol 87:423-35. 2002..If the mechanism of increase in cardiac vagal activity with training can be determined it may be possible to use pharmacological approaches to mimic the effects of exercise with potentially beneficial effects...
- Suprachiasmatic GABAergic inputs to the paraventricular nucleus control plasma glucose concentrations in the rat via sympathetic innervation of the liverAndries Kalsbeek
Netherlands Institute for Brain Research, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Neurosci 24:7604-13. 2004....
- Acetylcholine release in human heart atrium: influence of muscarinic autoreceptors, diabetes, and ageV Oberhauser
, Innere Medizin IV, Freiburg, Germany
Circulation 103:1638-43. 2001..Locally impaired cardiac acetylcholine release may therefore represent a pathophysiological link to sudden cardiac death in elderly and diabetic patients...
- Heart rate variability in athletes: relationship with central and peripheral performanceR Hedelin
Sports Medicine and Clinical Physiology, Department of Surgical and Perioperative Science, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Med Sci Sports Exerc 33:1394-8. 2001..To investigate relationships between heart rate variability (HRV) and peripheral and central performance measures, 17 cross-country (X-C) skiers and seven canoeists were studied before and after a training period of 7 months...
- Mechanisms and physiological significance of the cholinergic control of pancreatic beta-cell functionP Gilon
Unité d Endocrinologie et Métabolisme, University of Louvain Faculty of Medicine, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Endocr Rev 22:565-604. 2001..The paper also discusses the mechanisms explaining the glucose dependence of the effects of ACh on insulin release...
- Somatostatin presynaptically inhibits both GABA and glutamate release onto rat basal forebrain cholinergic neuronsToshihiko Momiyama
Division of Cerebral Structure, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, Myodaiji, Okazaki 444 8787, Japan
J Neurophysiol 96:686-94. 2006..These findings suggest that SS presynaptically inhibits both GABA and glutamate release onto BF cholinergic neurons in a Ca(2+)-dependent way, and that SS-induced effect on IPSCs and EPSCs are mediated by different sst subtypes...
- Eosinophil adhesion to cholinergic nerves via ICAM-1 and VCAM-1 and associated eosinophil degranulationDeborah A Sawatzky
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, University of Liverpool, Liverpool L69 3GE, United Kingdom
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 282:L1279-88. 2002..Thus eosinophils adhere to cholinergic nerves via specific adhesion molecules, and this leads to eosinophil activation and degranulation; this may be part of the mechanism of eosinophil-induced vagal hyperreactivity...
- Neuronal eotaxin and the effects of CCR3 antagonist on airway hyperreactivity and M2 receptor dysfunctionAllison D Fryer
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine and Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97201, USA
J Clin Invest 116:228-36. 2006..Thus, signaling via CCR3 mediates eosinophil recruitment to airway nerves and may be a prerequisite to blockade of inhibitory M2Rs by eosinophil major basic protein...
- Activation of the parasympathetic nervous system is necessary for normal meal-induced insulin secretion in rhesus macaquesD A D'Alessio
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:1253-9. 2001..In addition, the parasympathetic nervous system (PNS) is known to mediate preabsorptive, or cephalic phase, insulin secretion...
- Children with disturbances in sensory processing: a pilot study examining the role of the parasympathetic nervous systemRoseann C Schaaf
Department of Occupational Therapy, Thomas Jefferson University, 130 South 9th Street, Edison 810, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
Am J Occup Ther 57:442-9. 2003This study was a preliminary investigation of parasympathetic nervous system (PNS) functioning in children with disturbances in sensory processing...
- The sympathetic and parasympathetic nature of neuropeptide Y-immunoreactive nerve fibres in the major salivary glands of the ratT Schultz
Department of Anatomy, University of Helsinki, Finland
Histochem J 26:563-70. 1994..Unilateral electrocoagulation of the trigeminal nerve branches caused no detectable change in the density of immunoreactive nerve fibres in any of the major salivary glands.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Cholinergic control of heart rate by nitric oxide is site specificNeil Herring
University Laboratory of Physiology, Oxford University, Oxford OX1 3PT, UK
News Physiol Sci 17:202-6. 2002..Endogenous nitric oxide can potentially regulate all of these processes; however, recent work suggests that the main functional role of nitric oxide lies in the modulation of acetylcholine release...
- Neural regulation of blood flow in the rat submandibular glandL C Anderson
Dept Oral Biology, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
Eur J Morphol 36:213-8. 1998..Parasympathetic vasodilation was due to NO-independent mechanisms mediated by acetylcholine and substance P, and NO-dependent mechanisms mediated by VIP...
- Role of SREBP-1 in the development of parasympathetic dysfunction in the hearts of type 1 diabetic Akita miceHo Jin Park
Tufts Medical Center, Molecular Cardiology Research Institute, 750 Washington St, Box 8486, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Circ Res 105:287-94. 2009..Sterol regulatory element binding protein-1 (SREBP-1) is a lipid-sensitive transcription factor...
- Moderate pressure massage elicits a parasympathetic nervous system responseMiguel A Diego
Touch Research Institute, Department of Pediatrics, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, USA
Int J Neurosci 119:630-8. 2009..The participants who received the moderate pressure massage exhibited a parasympathetic nervous system response characterized by an increase in HF, suggesting increased vagal efferent activity and a ..
- Parasympathetic and sympathetic control of the pancreas: a role for the suprachiasmatic nucleus and other hypothalamic centers that are involved in the regulation of food intakeR M Buijs
Netherlands Institute for Brain Research, Meibergdreef 33, Amsterdam 1105 AZ, The Netherlands
J Comp Neurol 431:405-23. 2001..Examples are given of a high level of interaction between the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system. Several cell groups project to both branches of the autonomic nervous system, sometimes even the same ..
- Excitatory prejunctional beta 2-adrenoceptor distribution within equine airway cholinergic nervesX Y Zhang
Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824 1314, USA
Respir Physiol 106:81-90. 1996....
- Impaired neurotransmitter release from lacrimal and salivary gland nerves of a murine model of Sjögren's syndromeD Zoukhri
Schepens Eye Research Institute, Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 42:925-32. 2001..The second purpose was to determine whether activation of the lacrimal gland nerves of the MRL/lpr mouse leads to protein secretion...
- Muscarinic receptors and salivary secretionGordon B Proctor
J Appl Physiol 100:1103-4. 2006
- Heart rate variability under resting conditions in postmenopausal and young womenT F Ribeiro
, Departamento de Fisioterapia, , , SP, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 34:871-7. 2001..Thus, time domain HRV proved to be a noninvasive and sensitive method for the identification of changes in autonomic modulation of the sinus node in postmenopausal women...
- Dual innervation of white adipose tissue: some evidence for parasympathetic nervous system involvementTimothy J Bartness
Neurobiology and Behavior Program, Department of Biology and Center for Behavioral Neuroscience, Georgia State University, Atlanta, Georgia 30303 3088, USA
J Clin Invest 110:1235-7. 2002
- Subtle involvement of the parasympathetic nervous system in patients with irritable bowel syndromeNarender P van Orshoven
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Dept of Clinical Neurophysiology, University Medical Centre Utrecht, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Clin Auton Res 16:33-9. 2006..These results suggest that reduced baseline activity as well as responsiveness of the parasympathetic system could play a role in the pathogenesis of IBS...
- Low birth weight is associated with increased sympathetic activity: dependence on genetic factorsRichard G Ijzerman
Department of Internal Medicine and Institute for Cardiovascular Research, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Circulation 108:566-71. 2003....
- Autonomic effects on QT-RR interval dynamics after exerciseSri Sundaram
Division of Cardiac Electrophysiology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, 251 E Huron, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 294:H490-7. 2008..These data support the concept that parasympathetic tone may provide a natural antiarrhythmic effect during this time...
- Autonomic nervous system response to epidural analgesia in laboring patients by wavelet transform of heart rate and blood pressure variabilityAlain Deschamps
Department of Anesthesiology, McGill University Health Centre, Royal Victoria Hospital, Quebec, Canada
Anesthesiology 101:21-7. 2004..The goal of this study was to find markers describing the changes in autonomic nervous system activity with epidural anesthesia in laboring patients...
- Selective quantification of the cardiac sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems by multisignal analysis of cardiorespiratory variabilityXiaoxiao Chen
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 294:H362-71. 2008..offer an effective marker of the beta-sympathetic nervous system (SNS) due to its overlap with the parasympathetic nervous system (PNS) in the low-frequency (LF) band nor afford specific measures of the CANS due to input ..
- Control of heart rate variability by cardiac parasympathetic nerve activity during voluntary static exercise in humans with tetraplegiaMakoto Takahashi
Dept of Sports Medicine, Graduate School of Health Sciences, Hiroshima University, Minami Ku, Hiroshima 734 8551, Japan
J Appl Physiol (1985) 103:1669-77. 2007....
- Changes in cardiovascular parameters and plasma norepinephrine level in rats after chronic constriction injury on the sciatic nerveYu Jin
Futuristic Environmental Simulation Center, Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, Nagoya University, Furo cho, Chikusa ku, Nagoya 464 8601, Japan
Pain 135:221-31. 2008..These results demonstrated that cardiovascular function was kept high through sympathetic and non-sympathetic activity for 2 weeks after CCI, followed by a predominance of parasympathetic tone...
- Effect of dimenhydrinate on autonomic activity in humansJason R Carter
Dept of Exercise Science, Health and Physical Education, Michigan Technological University, 1400 Townsend Drive, Houghton, MI 49931, USA
Clin Auton Res 17:186-92. 2007..01). These results indicate that dimenhydrinate augments heart rate responses to baroreceptor unloading, but does not alter resting MSNA, the sympathetic baroreflexes, or the vestibulosympathetic reflex...
- Increased sympathetic and decreased parasympathetic cardiovascular modulation in normal humans with acute sleep deprivationXu Zhong
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 622 West 168th Street, VC 12 206, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Appl Physiol 98:2024-32. 2005..In summary, acute SD was associated with increased sympathetic and decreased parasympathetic cardiovascular modulation and decreased BRS, most consistently in the seated position and during simple reaction-time testing...
- Heart rate variability and the exercise pressor reflex during dynamic handgrip exercise and postexercise arterial occlusionHeidi A Kluess
Department of Kinesiology, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70803, USA
Am J Med Sci 329:117-23. 2005..The purpose was to describe the exercise pressor reflex by observing heart rate variability and blood pressure responses to handgrip-exercise and postexercise arterial occlusion...
- Basic autonomic nervous function in patients with neurocardiogenic syncopeFumio Saito
Department of Cardiology, Surugadai Nihon University Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Clin Exp Hypertens 29:165-73. 2007....
- Heart rate variability and short duration spaceflight: relationship to post-flight orthostatic intoleranceAndrew P Blaber
School of Kinesiology, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC, Canada N6A 3K7
BMC Physiol 4:6. 2004....
- Autonomic nervous system activity in premature and full-term infants from theoretical term to 7 yearsIvan de Rogalski Landrot
Laboratoire de Physiologie Clinique et de l Exercice The Synapse Research Group, France
Auton Neurosci 136:105-9. 2007..Furthermore, compared evolution shows a faster ANS maturation in premature. Potential mechanisms are discussed...
- Type 5 adenylyl cyclase disruption alters not only sympathetic but also parasympathetic and calcium-mediated cardiac regulationSatoshi Okumura
Cardiovascular Research Institute, Department of Cell Biology and Molecular Medicine, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ 07101 1709, USA
Circ Res 93:364-71. 2003....
- Effect of autonomic blockade on ventricular repolarization shortening: response to behavioral stimulus in paced dogsEmily R Nolan
Cardiovascular Research Lab, College of Veterinary Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, United States
Auton Neurosci 140:66-71. 2008..The use of a model that eliminates the need to apply correction factors to repolarization indices helps to clarify the role of the autonomic nervous system on ventricular repolarization...
- Parasympathetic cardiac effects in sympathectomized ratsA R Gizzatullin
Department of Anatomy, Physiology, and Human Health Protection, Tatar State Humanitarian Pedagogical University, Kazan
Bull Exp Biol Med 144:166-70. 2007..The sympathetic nervous system plays a role in postvagotomic tachycardia. Sympathectomized rats were characterized by higher reactivity of cardiac beta-adrenoceptors to propranolol compared to intact animals...
- Asymmetry in sympathetic and vagal activities during sleep-wake transitionsTerry B J Kuo
Institute of Brain Science, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Sleep 31:311-20. 2008..To explore the role of autonomic nervous system in initiation of sleep-wake transitions...
- The influence of sleep onset on the diurnal variation in cardiac activity and cardiac controlMelinda Carrington
Department of Psychology, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Vic, Australia
J Sleep Res 12:213-21. 2003....
- Cardiac autonomic activity in methylmercury neurotoxicity: 14-year follow-up of a Faroese birth cohortPhilippe Grandjean
Institute of Public Health, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
J Pediatr 144:169-76. 2004..To determine whether heart function in childhood is affected by exposure to methylmercury (MeHg) from seafood...
- Nonlinear analysis of the separate contributions of autonomic nervous systems to heart rate variability using principal dynamic modesYuru Zhong
Department of Biomedical Engineering, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8181, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 51:255-62. 2004..Our nonlinear PDM approach allows a clear separation of the two autonomic nervous activities, the lack of which has been the main reason why heart rate variability analysis has not had wide clinical acceptance...
- Sympathetic skin response and RR interval variation in patients with cardiac syndrome XArmagan Altun
Cardiology, Medical School, Trakya University, Edirne, Turkey
Angiology 58:747-50. 2007..variation (RRIV) are noninvasive electrophysiological tests used in the assessment of sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system function, respectively...
- Effects of vagus nerve stimulation on cardiovascular regulation in patients with epilepsyB Stemper
Department of Neurology, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, Erlangen, Germany
Acta Neurol Scand 117:231-6. 2008..To evaluate the impact of vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) on heart rate and blood pressure (BP) modulation in epilepsy patients...
- Association of C825T polymorphism of G protein beta3 subunit with the autonomic nervous system in young healthy Japanese individualsTetsuro Matsunaga
Laboratory of Metabolism, Graduate School of Human and Environmental Studies, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Am J Hypertens 18:523-9. 2005..In the present study, we have investigated the association of this polymorphism with ANS in young, healthy Japanese male individuals...
- Influence of acute progressive hypoxia on cardiovascular variability in conscious spontaneously hypertensive ratsMitsutaka Sugimura
Department of Dental Anesthesiology, Graduate School of Dentistry, Osaka University, 1 8 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Auton Neurosci 141:94-103. 2008..Furthermore, it is thought that the influence of acute progressive hypoxia on striatal DA levels is similar in SHR and WKY...
- Abnormal heart rate and blood pressure responses to baroreflex stimulation in multiple sclerosis patientsEmmanuel O Sanya
Autonomic Laboratory, Dept of Neurology, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
Clin Auton Res 15:213-8. 2005..27+/-0.29 ln ms(2)). These results indicate that in MS patients, baroreflex dysfunction is not only restricted to the cardiovagal limb of the baroreflex, but that the sympathetic modulation of the blood vessels is also affected...
- Autonomic cardiac modulation in obstructive sleep apnea: effect of an oral jaw-positioning appliancePaolo Coruzzi
Fondazione Don C Gnocchi ONLUS, Fondazione Don C Gnocchi, Piazzale dei Servi n 3, I 43100, Parma, Italy
Chest 130:1362-8. 2006..The aim of our study was to investigate the responses of autonomic indexes of neural cardiac control to another type of OSA treatment based on an oral jaw-positioning appliance...
- Model for complex heart rate dynamics in health and diseasesKiyoshi Kotani
Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, The University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8656, Japan
Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys 72:041904. 2005....
- The many metrics of cardiac chronotropy: a pragmatic primer and a brief comparison of metricsJohn J B Allen
Department of Psychology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721 0068, USA
Biol Psychol 74:243-62. 2007..Although generally highly correlated, the various metrics responded differently under challenge...
- Dysautonomia rhinitis: associated otolaryngologic manifestations and characterization based on autonomic function testsMohamed Nasser Elsheikh
Otolaryngology Department, Faculty of Medicine, Tanta University, Tanta, Egypt
Acta Otolaryngol 126:1206-12. 2006..The term dysautonomia rhinitis may be used to specify this autonomic-related rhinitis...
- Autonomic cardiovascular responses to heme oxygenase inhibition in conscious ratsHaruhisa Hirakawa
Department of Physiology, National Defense Medical College, Saitama, Japan
Hypertension 48:1124-9. 2006..We conclude that the CO/HO system plays an important role in cardiovascular regulation by modulating sympathetic tone...
- Genetic selection on a behavioural fear trait is associated with changes in heart rate variability in quailD Valance
UMR 6175, Physiologie de la Reproduction et des Comportements, INRA Centre de Tours, Nouzilly, France
Genes Brain Behav 6:339-46. 2007..Selection on tonic immobility duration thus appears to be associated with changes in the sympathovagal control of the heart, which may influence behavioural responses to stressful situations...
- Role of sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems in heart rate regulation in catsN N Alipov
Department of Normal Physiology, Russian State Medical University, Moscow
Bull Exp Biol Med 140:477-82. 2005....
- Quantifying cardiac sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous activities using principal dynamic modes analysis of heart rate variabilityYuru Zhong
Department of Biomedical Engineering, State University of New York at Stony Brook, HSC T18, Rm 030, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8181, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 291:H1475-83. 2006..These findings suggest that the PDM shows promise as a noninvasive and quantitative marker of ANS imbalance, which has been shown to be a factor in many cardiac and stress-related diseases...
- Hypnotic trait and specific phobia: EEG and autonomic output during phobic stimulationAngelo Gemignani
Department of Physiology and Biochemistry, G Moruzzi, University of Pisa, Via San Zeno 31, 56127 Pisa, Italy
Brain Res Bull 69:197-203. 2006..However, the presence of a specific phobia attenuates the effectiveness of hypnotizability as a protective factor against possible stress-related cardiac illness...
- Measurement of autonomic dysregulation in multiple sclerosisA Kodounis
251 General Airforce Hospital of Athens, Aeginition University of Neurology Hospital, 401 General Army Hospital of Athens, Athens, Greece
Acta Neurol Scand 112:403-8. 2005..Exactly 45.45% of patients exhibited subjective symptoms of autonomic dysfunction and 42.42% of patients had abnormal laboratory tests results...
- Blood pressure and heart rate variability response to noninvasive ventilation in patients with exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseP Skyba
Department of Respiratory Medicine and Tuberculosis, L Pasteur Teaching Hospital, Kosice, Slovakia
Physiol Res 56:527-33. 2007..In conclusion, these findings suggest that NPPV may cause improvements in the neural control of heart rate in patients with acute exacerbations of COPD...
- Sympathetic and parasympathetic activities evaluated by heart-rate variability in head injury of various severitiesChain Fa Su
The Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery, Tzu Chi University, Hualien, Taiwan, ROC
Clin Neurophysiol 116:1273-9. 2005....
- Sex differences in monocyte expression of IL-6: role of autonomic mechanismsMary Frances O'Connor
Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunology, UCLA Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, University of California Los Angeles, 300 Medical Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7076, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 293:R145-51. 2007..Interventions that target autonomic mechanisms might constitute new strategies to constrain IL-6 production with impacts on inflammatory disease risk in women...
- Peculiarities of autonomic regulation assessed by variability of hemodynamic parameters in rats with different stress resistanceT N Kirillina
State Research Institute of General Pathology and Pathological Physiology, Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Moscow
Bull Exp Biol Med 142:398-402. 2006..Blockade of NO synthesis with Nw-nitro-L-arginine more markedly increased blood pressure variability in August rats compared to Wistar rats. The data attest to a certain rigidity of the autonomic cardiovascular regulation in August rats...
- Autonomic nervous system activity during autologous blood donation for orthognathic surgeryMika Seto
Department of Diagnostics and General Care, School of Dentistry, Fukuoka Dental College, Fukuoka, Japan
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:1096-100. 2005....
- Influence of endogenous neuropeptide Y (NPY) on the sympathetic-parasympathetic interaction in the canine heartArnfinn Ilebekk
Institute for Experimental Medical Research, Ulleval University Hospital, 0407 Oslo, Norway
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 46:474-80. 2005....
- Electrophysiological study of infant and adult rats under acute intoxication with fluoroacetamideSergey V Kuznetsov
I M Sechenov Institute of Evolutionary Physiology and Biochemistry, St Petersburg, Russia
J Appl Toxicol 27:538-50. 2007....
- Preoperative heart rate variability in relation to surgery outcome in refractory epilepsyH Persson
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Neurology 65:1021-5. 2005..This risk seems to be reduced after successful surgery but whether this is an effect of surgery or reflects pre-existing differences between good and poor responders is under debate...
- Dual activation of cardiac sympathetic and parasympathetic components during conditioned fear to context in the ratPascal Carrive
School of Medical Sciences, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 33:1251-4. 2006..The vagal activation may act to hold back cardiac acceleration while the animal waits for the aversive stimulus to come...
- [Examinations of the autonomic nervous system. The Danish Society of Clinical Physiology and Nuclear Medicine]Jesper Mehlsen
Klinisk Fysiologisk Nuklearmedicinsk Afdeling, H S Frederiksberg Hospital, DK 2000 Frederiksberg
Ugeskr Laeger 168:1227. 2006
- A new look at cardiac defense: attention or emotion?Jaime Vila
Departamento de Personalidad de Evaluación y Tratamiento Psicológico, Facultad de Psicologia, Campus La Cartuja s n, 18011 Granada, Spain
Span J Psychol 6:60-78. 2003..The implications of this new look at cardiac defense are discussed in relation to defensive reactions in natural settings, the brain mechanisms controlling such reactions, and their effects on health and illness...
- Microinjection of a 5-HT3 receptor agonist into the NTS of awake rats inhibits the bradycardic response to activation of the von Bezold-Jarisch reflexD M Leal
Department of Physiology, , , , , Brazil
Brain Res Bull 54:7-11. 2001..The data of the present study suggest that serotonin acting on 5-HT3 receptors in the NTS may play an important inhibitory neuromodulatory role in the bradycardic response to activation of the von Bezold-Jarisch reflex...
- Effects of nitroglycerin treatment on baroreflex sensitivity and short-term heart rate variability in humansTommaso Gori
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai Hospital, and the University Health Network Hospitals, Toronto, Canada
J Am Coll Cardiol 40:2000-5. 2002..We set out to determine the effect of sustained treatment with nitroglycerin (GTN) on neural modulation of heart rate in humans...
- Autonomic nervous system activity and the state and development of obesity in Japanese school childrenNarumi Nagai
Laboratory of Applied Physiology, Graduate School of Human and Environmental Studies, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Obes Res 11:25-32. 2003..We further examined a physiological association between the duration of obesity and the sympatho-vagal activities to scrutinize the nature of ANS alteration as a possible etiologic factor of childhood obesity...
- Separation of heart rate variability components of the autonomic nervous system by utilizing principal dynamic modesK H Chon
State University of New York, Stony Brook, HSC T18, Rm 030, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY, 11794 8181, USA
Nonlinear Dynamics Psychol Life Sci 10:163-85. 2006..The PDM methodology is expected to have an added benefit that diagnosis and prognostication of a patient's health can be determined simply via a non-invasive electrocardiogram...
- Elevated parasympathetic nerve tone in isoproterenol-induced neurally mediated syncope during head-up tilt testingA Takei
First Department of Internal Medicine, Kobe University School of Medicine, Japan
Jpn Circ J 65:320-4. 2001..The early and persistent increase in parasympathetic nerve tone provoked by isoproterenol plays an important role in enhancing the vasovagal reaction during head-up tilt testing...
- Effect of autonomic blockers on heart period variability in calves: evaluation of the sympathovagal balanceG Despres
Adaptation et Comportements Sociaux, URH, Centre INRA de Clermont Theix, 63122, Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Physiol Res 51:347-53. 2002..VSE, HR, MeanRR and RMSSD were found to be valid indicators of the parasympathetic tone of calves because of large variations due to the drug and low individual variations. No measure reflected the sympathetic tone...
- Acute effects of caffeine on heart rate variabilityHugo P Sondermeijer
University of Leiden, Leiden, The Netherlands
Am J Cardiol 90:906-7. 2002
- Cardiac autonomic denervation and functional response to neurotoxins during acute experimental Chagas' disease in ratsA L Teixeira
Departamento de Morfologia, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Auton Neurosci 89:128-32. 2001..Atropine prevented this lower rate. Our results demonstrated sympathetic dysfunction during the acute phase of Trypanosoma cruzi infection in rats, the parasympathetic function being spared...
- Inhomogeneous derangement of cardiac autonomic nerve control in diabetic ratsShamarendra Nath Sanyal
Department of Physiology, Oita Medical University, Japan
Circ J 66:283-8. 2002....
- Sympathetic blockade significantly improves cardiovascular alterations immediately after spinal cord injury in ratsG Bravo
Departamento Farmacobiología, CINVESTAV, IPN, Calzada de los Tenorios 235, Col Granjas Coapa, 14330 Mexico D F, Mexico
Neurosci Lett 319:95-8. 2002..Likewise, propranolol and pentolinium completely abolished the effects in HR. These data suggest that the early cardiovascular alterations secondary to SCI results from an increased parasympathetic activity and a sympathetic withdrawal...
- Autonomic function in patients with functional dyspepsia assessed by 24-hour heart rate variabilitySônia Letícia Silva Lorena
Departamento de Clinica Medica, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Dig Dis Sci 47:27-31. 2002..Our results suggest impaired efferent vagal function in a subgroup of patients with functional dyspepsia. This abnormality may play a role in the pathogenesis of the disease in these patients...
- Neuronal control of heart rate in isolated mouse atriaJ K Choate
Department of Physiology, PO Box 13F, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 285:H1340-6. 2003..Activation of ICa,L also appears to contribute to the sympathetic heart rate response. However, the decrease in heart rate with vagal stimulation or carbachol is likely to result primarily from the activation of IK,ACh...
- Erythromycin antagonizes the deceleration of gastric emptying by glucagon-like peptide 1 and unmasks its insulinotropic effect in healthy subjectsJuris J Meier
Department of Medicine, Ruhr University, Bochum, Germany
Diabetes 54:2212-8. 2005..counteracts the deceleration of gastric emptying caused by GLP-1, probably by interacting with the parasympathetic nervous system (pancreatic polypeptide responses)...
- [Heart rate variability. Applications in psychiatry]D Servant
Service de Psychiatrie Générale, Hôpital Fontan, CHRU de Lille, Rue Verhaeghe, 59037 Lille Cedex, France
Encephale 35:423-8. 2009The autonomic nervous system sends messages through the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system. The sympathetic nervous system innervates the cardioaccelerating center of the heart, the lungs (increased ventilatory rhythm and ..
- Effect of sensory stimulation (acupuncture) on sympathetic and parasympathetic activities in healthy subjectsE Haker
Department of Physical Therapy, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
J Auton Nerv Syst 79:52-9. 2000..The purpose of this study was to investigate to what extent acupuncture applied into the thenar muscle and into the cavum concha of the ear induced changes in the sympathetic and/or parasympathetic nervous system in healthy subjects.
- Autonomic nervous system function in chronic hypotension associated with Bartter and Gitelman syndromesMichelangelo Sartori
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Clinica Medica 4, University of Padova, Italy
Am J Kidney Dis 49:330-5. 2007..We tested sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system function in 4 patients with Bartter and Gitelman syndromes with chronic hypotension...
- Cardiotoxicity of digitalis glycosides: roles of autonomic pathways, autacoids and ion channelsA T Demiryurek
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Gaziantep, Gaziantep, Turkey
Auton Autacoid Pharmacol 25:35-52. 2005..2 The involvement of the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system in digitalis cardiac toxicity is reviewed...
- Muscarinic receptors participation in angiogenic response induced by macrophages from mammary adenocarcinoma-bearing miceEulalia de la Torre
Departamento de Inmunobiologia, Instituto de Oncología A H Roffo, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Breast Cancer Res 7:R345-52. 2005..Here we investigate the ability of the parasympathetic nervous system to modulate angiogenesis induced by TMps through the activation of the muscarinic acetylcholine ..
- Intrinsic innervation and dopaminergic markers after experimental denervation in rat thymusF Mignini
Dip Medicina Clinica e Sperimentale, Lab Anatomia Umana, Univ Piemonte Oriental, Novara, Italy
Eur J Histochem 54:e17. 2010..In the subcapsular and septal region, no parenchymal nerve branching, belonging to sympathetic or parasympathetic nervous system was noted...
- Respiratory and autonomic plasticity following intermittent hypoxiaJASON HAROLD MATEIKA; Fiscal Year: 2012..Similarly, LTF of SNSA activity and possibly long-term depression (LTD) of parasympathetic nervous system activity (PNSA) could ultimately lead to persistent increases in blood pressure and heart rate ..
- Hostility, PTSD and Physical Health Risk FactorsJean C Beckham; Fiscal Year: 2013..Although previous work has demonstrated a relationship between PTSD and reduced parasympathetic nervous system control of the heart under controlled laboratory conditions, no study has evaluated autonomic ..
- Adhesion Mechanisms Mediating Sickle Cell Vasooclusion In VivoPaul S Frenette; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition to the SNS, our preliminary data also suggest a role for parasympathetic nervous system (PNS) in leukocyte recruitment...
- PARASYMPATHETIC DYSFUNCTION IN OBESITY: EFFECT OF CHOLESTEROL ON VAChTYifan Li; Fiscal Year: 2013..In obesity, parasympathetic nervous system (PSNS) regulation of the heart is markedly attenuated 8-10, which may contribute to obesity-related ..
- Radiation Combined Injury: Mechanisms and Therapeutic ApproachesPing Wang; Fiscal Year: 2012..The action of ghrelin in sepsis also involves the parasympathetic nervous system, as vagotomy prevents its beneficial effects...
- NEURAL REGULATION OF PREPARTUM CERVICAL RIPENINGSteven M Yellon; Fiscal Year: 2013..image analyses approaches provided support for the novel concept that innervation by the central parasympathetic nervous system is critical for the normal timing of birth...
- The Treatment of Depression with Yoga and WalkingCHRIS CONWAY STREETER; Fiscal Year: 2013..There is evidence tha negative emotions are related to decreased activity in the parasympathetic nervous system (PNS) as measured by vagal tone...
- Reversing the Autonomic Nervous System Imbalance in Overweight IndividualsGENEVIEVE ANNA WOODARD; Fiscal Year: 2010..a quantitative measurement of both branches of the ANS: the sympathetic nervous system (SNS) and parasympathetic nervous system (PNS)...
- Activation of the Trigeminovascular PathwayRami Burstein; Fiscal Year: 2011..Under hypothesis 3, we will test whether the parasympathetic nervous system mediates sustained activation/sensitization of meningeal nociceptors induced by CSD...
- Trigeminal-autonomic relations in ocular homeostasisDavid A Bereiter; Fiscal Year: 2013..all tissues of the eye and serve as the afferent limb for many protective reflexes mediated by the parasympathetic nervous system (PaNS)...
- Modulation of Odorant Receptor FunctionHiroaki Matsunami; Fiscal Year: 2013..regulated by another GPCR, M3R, which is activated by acetylcholine, the key neurotransmitter of the parasympathetic nervous system. An understanding of the interactions between the neurotransmitter receptor and the peripheral ..
- Stress, Autonomic Reactivity, and Mental Health in Low Income, Latino ChildrenABBEY DIANE ALKON; Fiscal Year: 2010..the activation of the sympathetic nervous system (the flight or fight response) and withdrawal of the parasympathetic nervous system (the resting response)...
- DETERMINANTS OF SODIUM RETENTION IN CIRRHOSISWILLIAM RECTOR; Fiscal Year: 1992..resistance (reflections of arterial BV); 5) left atrial size (central BV); 6) portal-systemic shunt fraction; 7) plasma concentration of PG; 8) sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system function; and 9) liver metabolic capacity.
- Radiation Combined Injury: Mechanisms and Therapeutic ApproachesPing Wang; Fiscal Year: 2009..The action of ghrelin in sepsis also involves the parasympathetic nervous system, as vagotomy prevents its beneficial effects...
- TRH in mediating the bradycardia of caloric restrictionSteven Swoap; Fiscal Year: 2005..in cardiovascular biology concerning the roles of thyrotropin releasing hormone, thyroid hormones, the parasympathetic nervous system, and the sympathetic nervous system in the bradycardia of caloric restriction in mice...
- Integration by Airway Parasympathic Ganglia NeuronsAllen Myers; Fiscal Year: 2004..to provide knowledge of how autonomic tone is regulated in the airway, especially that provided by the parasympathetic nervous system. Control of smooth muscle in the trachea and bronchi is predominantly by nerve fibers that emanate ..
- Intrinsic and Extrinsic Effects on Trajectories of Infants' Vagal FunctioningCathi Propper; Fiscal Year: 2009..for state, motor, and emotion control may have certain underlying physiological processes in the parasympathetic nervous system that play a role in their functioning...
- CARDIAC AUTONOMIC CONTROL IN CHILDREN OF HIV+ MOTHERSSteven Lipshultz; Fiscal Year: 1993..P2C2 clinical centers to capture noninvasively the time varying contributions of the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system to the control of heart rate throughout the course of a day...
- NEUROIMMUNOLOGY OF AED IN OCULAR HSV-1 INFECTIONDaniel Carr; Fiscal Year: 2001..The activation of the hypothalamic pituitary adrenal axis and the sympathetic/parasympathetic nervous system are thought to be involved in inducing reactivation of latent HSV-l...
- EXERCISE TO IMPROVE HRV IN SUDDEN CARDIAC ARRESTCYNTHIA DOUGHERTY; Fiscal Year: 2004..My interest is in determining if exercise will affect cardiac parasympathetic nervous system regulation and therefore convey cardioprotective effects that will subsequently influence rates of ..
- Development of Epibranchial Placodes and Ganglia in ZebrafishAlex Nechiporuk; Fiscal Year: 2010..Relevance: Sensory component of the parasympathetic nervous system has been implicated in many human disorders, including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, ..
- MODEL OF ACUTE AND CHRONIC AIRWAY DISEASECAROL HIRSHMAN; Fiscal Year: 1990..We have shown that airway hyperreactivity in these dogs is not directly associated with increased parasympathetic nervous system activity, increased lung epithelial permeability in the absence of airway challenge, or an intrinsic ..
- Genetic remodeling of Vagal Afferent OrganizationEdward Fox; Fiscal Year: 2009The vagus or Xth cranial nerve contains both the sensory and motor divisions of the parasympathetic nervous system that regulate the heart, lungs and digestive tract - regulatory activities that are required to sustain life...
- LM AND EM MORPHOLOGY OF SACRAL PARASYMPATHETIC NEURONSCharles Morgan; Fiscal Year: 1990The parasympathetic nervous system exerts the major control over the excretory and sexual reflexes...
- ANTISOCIAL CHILDREN: MARITAL & PHYSIOLOGICAL PROCESSESLYNN KATZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..of marital, parent-child and child-peer systems and physiological assessments of sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system activity will be systematically applied in one study to examine interpersonal and intrapersonal risk ..
- Brainstem nAChR Subtypes & Their Effect on GI FunctionRICHARD GILLIS; Fiscal Year: 2006..These and future data obtained from pursuing our Specific Aims will extend current understanding of the different receptor mediated effects of nicotine on parasympathetic nervous system control of the upper GI tract.
- PHOTOPERIODIC CONTROL OF OBESITYTimothy Bartness; Fiscal Year: 2008..RESEARCH GRANT TABLE OF CONTENTS Page Numbers 1 Face Page .................................................................................................................................................. Description, ..
- THE CPA: SOMATIC AND AUTONOMIC SYSTEMSW Panneton; Fiscal Year: 2004..Understanding the brainstem mechanisms governing he vascular constriction after either of these somatic stimuli may provide a neurological explanation for this. Such knowledge may lead to an understanding of essential hypertension. ..
- Cardiovascular Response to Glutamate Nitric OxideWILLIAM TALMAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..e. on nNOS immunoreactive dendrites or neurons in NTS. ..
- Antipsychotics: Temporal Effects on Cognitive FunctionAlvin Terry; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- NEUROTROPHINS, HORMONES AND POSTPAROUS INCONTINENCEPeter Smith; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Cotinine for Cognitive Impairment in Neurological and Neuropsychiatric DisordersAlvin V Terry; Fiscal Year: 2010..The partly translational design of the study will provide results leading to eventual clinical trials with cotinine or a relevant analog. ..
- Mechanisms of Sympathetic Axon PruningPeter G Smith; Fiscal Year: 2010..Findings will be pertinent to understanding both organizing principles related to normal nervous system plasticity, and to disturbances in innervation in certain disease states. ..
- Heart Period Variability in Critically Ill VLBW InfantsSandra Smith; Fiscal Year: 2003..of heart period power, (2) test the impact of developmental care on heart period power, and (3) develop and test interventions that would promote balance in the low- and high-frequency regions of heart period power ..
- NGF and Post-Infarct Sympathetic NeuroplasticityPeter Smith; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- SYMPATHETIC NERVE REMODELING IN THE ADULT UTERUSPeter Smith; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction For High Blood PressureJoel Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2007..Accrual rates, acceptance of randomization, treatment adherence, treatment fidelity, and patient satisfaction with treatment will be evaluated. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Emotion Regulation in Relationships during SeparationLisa Diamond; Fiscal Year: 2003..This information will make a significant contribution to research on the multiple biobehavioral processes through which close relationships influence day-to-day emotion regulation and long-term psychological well-being. ..
- ACUTE BRAIN INJURY, MECHANISMS AND PROTECTIONJohn Olney; Fiscal Year: 2001..The long term goals are to clarify the underlying mechanisms and develop improved methods of treating human pediatric acute brain injury conditions. ..
- An animal model for age-related degenerationANN CHARLOTTE ESTHER GRANHOLM; Fiscal Year: 2010..The overall purpose of these studies is to investigate endogenous defense mechanisms as well as the degenerative process in itself, to explore if early intervention strategies can be employed. ..
- LIPID & PROTEIN PO4 TURNOVER IN IRIS OF THE EYEATA ABDEL LATIF; Fiscal Year: 2002..the sympathetic nervous system, which governs the formation of cAMP and muscle relaxation, and the parasympathetic nervous system, which governs the generation of IP3-, DAG-, Ca2+, and muscle contraction...
- LONG TERM RECORDING FROM AFFERENT TASTE FIBERSRobert Bradley; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- SEROTONERGIC REGULATION OF INSULIN LIKE GROWTH FACTORSJean Lauder; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- NEURAL STRUCTURE FUNCTION RELATIONSHIPS IN RETINAFranklin Amthor; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Confer. Neural Mechanisms in Cardiovascular RegulationMARK CHAPLEAU; Fiscal Year: 2002..Time will be allotted for informal discussions and social interaction. Scientists from the United States and other countries, young investigations and women are well-represented in the program. ..
- International meeting Neural Transplantation and RepairANN CHARLOTTE GRANHOLM BENTLEY; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, previous statistics demonstrate that we have favored women and minorities in the past (33% of the travel award recipients for this years' meeting were women, and women serve on all the committees in our organization). ..
- HOSTILITY REDUCTION AND AUTONOMIC CONTROL OF THE HEARTRichard Sloan; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- MULTI-LEVEL ANALYSIS OF URBAN CHILDHOOD ASTHMA RISKRosalind Wright; Fiscal Year: 2004..An additional feature of the proposal is the opportunity to involve under represented minority students (predoctoral and summer interns) from two NIH-funded grants whose principal investigator is a co-investigator on this proposal. ..
- Neurotransmission evoked by 5HT-dependent luminal factorYing Li; Fiscal Year: 2005..Finally, we will examine the roles of various neurotransmitters in the DMN in the mediation of pancreatic secretion stimulated by luminal 5HT-dependent factors using a conscious rat model. ..
- WAGES: Workplace Activity for Employee Goal SettingRODNEY DISHMAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..The project will implement and rigorously evaluate a multilevel physical activity intervention that has potential for broad application to workplace health promotion. ..
- Fat Metabolism During Exercise in ObesityEDWARD MELANSON; Fiscal Year: 2007..I believe the results from these studies will lead directly to additional studies to further explain why exercise may be important in the prevention and treatment of obesity. ..
- GENETICS OF ADHDJosephine Elia; Fiscal Year: 2007..Dr. Douglas Levinson will provide mentoring in statistical methods and data analyses and Dr. Judith Rapoport will provide mentoring in defining novel phenotypic definitions for ADHD. ..
- Neural Control of Airway Responses in Early LifeRICHARD DEY; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Does Nasal Stimulation Activate Presympathetic Neurons?Paul McCulloch; Fiscal Year: 2005..As such, this research has implications for understanding the etiology of neurogenic hypertension. ..
- Epidemiology and Mechanisms of Fecal IncontinenceAdil Bharucha; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- HEART RATE VARIABILITY IN SLEEP-DISORDERED BREATHINGMICHAEL KHOO; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Pharmacotherapy for Minor DepressionRobert Howland; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of this study will have profound public health implications by improving our understanding of the efficacy of SJW and standard antidepressants for the treatment of MinorD. ..
- AFFERENT PLASTICITY UNDERLYING URETHRAL AND PELVIC PAINNaoki Yoshimura; Fiscal Year: 2010..This is recognized as a high priority in the urologic care of patients with IC/CPPS. ..
- COMPONENTS OF PUPILLARY DILATION AND COGNITIONSTUART ROBERT STEINHAUER; Fiscal Year: 2010..Findings will further pinpoint functional systems to be examined using current and future imaging technologies. ..
- Coronary PhysiologyEric O Feigl; Fiscal Year: 2010..This is a resubmission of RO1 HL 082781-01-A1 (This time as a modular grant.) ..